Speaker 1: The volume. All right, Rory.
Speaker 2: Today we are joined by a very very special guest, New York City legend, the legend in the fashion game, legend in the shoe game.
Speaker 3: Uh, we are.
Speaker 1: We are honored and privileged to have here today.
Speaker 3: His new line is.
Speaker 2: Dropping, he has a new book out, and we get to talk to him.
Speaker 3: I get to ask some of my sneak ahead.
Speaker 2: Yes, this is a sneaker this this episode is for all the sneaker the sneaker heads around the world, very special guests doing some amazing things.
Speaker 1: We are joined by Sleat he been bread. What's up fan? How you doing? I'm doing good. Listen, It's a pleasure to meet.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 2: Yes, First of all, you're busy, you running around. Congrats on a new drop on a new Sponge, the Sponge collection. I don't know even know where to start with. I mean, we wear his sneakers so fucking much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, pretty much all the way at this point.
Speaker 4: Yeah, today I even had like it was maybe a self conscious thoughts, and then I felt even weirder after because I was like, I don't want to wear his sneakers.
Speaker 1: When he's like, is that weird?
Speaker 4: But then it's I was like, but I support this guy so much. Why why would.
Speaker 1: I'm not wear not because he's coming today.
Speaker 2: I'm not wearing my throtom ships in the back of the closet. I was like, I'm not wearing my slaves today. But how are you feeling?
Speaker 1: Man? I feel great. I am in a very significant part of my career and a chapter turning moment. I'm releasing a book, I'm releasing a I've released a footwear company, which is different from I guess what my audience has been familiar with, which has mostly been collaborations. And we saw this, We saw this happening though even I mean listen, like, I didn't even see the collaboration thing in the in the stars. For me, you know, my dream was to ultimately work for a brand, and I never really saw myself as someone that was going to put his name on people, across people's chests or on their shoes. So these opportunities have kind of been brought to me, and me being a New Yorker, you know, I'm still going to capitalize on them. And this is where I find myself.
Speaker 4: So, yeah, when when did you have that moment that it switched where hey, I don't want to just design or be a head designer for somebody else.
Speaker 1: I think I just got to look at the amount of success that I brought other brands and across a landscape, you know, like, you know, not only just simply like one kind of sneaker. I've been able to tell tell many different stories, and within telling those different stories, speak to different audiences, and through that have a lot of success with sales of shoes. And then that made me realize that I, myself am a business. I'm not necessarily like just this artist that gets brought in to like throw some colors on, you know, the black and white whatever. I am actually like a business myself. And and and then I also became you know, I don't want to make this about money, but I you know, was very aware of the amount of money that I was making these brands.
Speaker 3: And I was do have you ever seen the real numbers?
Speaker 1: Oh? Yeah, absolutely, that's a part of it. But and then the percentage of what I was able to get from that very grateful. But it'd be nice to have the entire pie, you know, it'd be nice to Yeah, it's a little different, yeah, the whole thing. Yeah. And then and then this entire time I've been learning, so I don't know if this is something I would have been ready for for like five years ago. But now I think that's why I said what I said about it.
Speaker 3: I think it was inevitable.
Speaker 2: I think people that have been following you and supporting your brand over the years, we kind of saw this happening. But when you say you were working at brands you were learning, I mean, you've done some iconic shit with Vasace cohon even with the Yeasy brand. Along your journey, it made CrOx cool, made CrOx cool. But but again, you've always had a certain aesthetic. We know a Salah aesthetic when we see it, like even your whole aesthetic appearance is a brand, you know what I mean? Like you walking around and people know exactly who you are now growing up in New York, do you feel like that kind of molded you? Because this is a fashion capital and everything that you wear, but it's now it's it's more easy to follow than it is to set trends these days. Yeah, how important was it for you to remain who you are and always in anything you do? It's a sleazy thing.
Speaker 1: I think that growing up and maybe you can relate to this, you guys can relate to this as individualism was a high priority. So the people that were in your friend group or just in the room were respected and appreciated because of the individualism that they brought to the table. And so if someone was wearing cheetah or black and red or whatever it was, that's who they were. And these days that doesn't really exist as much. And so because that's an error that I come from, I really lean into being myself. I don't think anyone can be myself better than me, right, And that has high authenticity in it, and I think that's something that when people identify, they're really attracted to because that also is rare in this time that we find ourselves in, you know. So yeah, I think there's there's a balance that needs to be maintained of like injecting a certain amount of self into a project, but then also just considering the consumer and what they would like and being commercial because sometimes people push things a little too far and then it's not digestible. So it's kind of about maintaining that balance of like commercial and then I guess my taste. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Now, I think it's interesting with designers that are born and raised in New York. Typically the nature route isn't represented in their designs outside of just the colors that you use, Like what the shoe's purpose is for a nature hike, for example, it's a functional shoe, yeah, which typically isn't the New York City designer stereotype. What started more of the nature side of things growing up in the city, So I mean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, born and raised in New York, spent twenty nine years here, moved to LA about ten years ago, and through that developed a relationship with nature just through proximity. I mean, if you guys wanted to go for a hike here, that'd be your full Saturday. That'd be like going to what was it called Woodbury Commons. You know, that's a full day. That's a full day. And so in LA, you know, like hikes are fifteen minutes away and they're really beautiful experiences and it's physical fitness and it's meditative and it's just a nice way to start the day. And then through that I started getting inspired and started and not even like intentionally where I was like looking at trees like give me an idea, Yeah, but it was more just like, damn, these colors are beautiful and started noticing the function of the shoes I was wearing and how they were hurting or helping my hiking experience. I made a shoe with a whistle on it because I was like, wow, like, I'm out in this environment where I need tools. I might need a knife to protect myself. I might need a lighter to start a fire, or I might need a whistle to alert people that I'm injured or my friends that are like on the other side of the mountain or field or whatever. And so it really wasn't the most intentional thing. It was just like, this is what I'm doing, this is what I'm sharing on my social media, and now it just kind of like authentically connects. I think it would have been strange if I was in Los Angeles trying to tell a New York story. Yeah, you know, but at the end of the day, I think it has to be authentic. And that's why even like the Puma Haliburn thing that I've been doing is authentic because I grew up pooping, you know. Yeah, I feel like.
Speaker 4: You kind of had like the reverse career as far as trying to go to the quote unquote designer brand thing like earlier. How I was even introduced to you was through the Versace stuff. I would have never guessed at that point off those Versace designs that everything you would do after would look the way it looked like. Now I get it, because through Crocs, through New Balance, through everything that you've done, I understand your aesthetic. Versace would have been the last fucking brand I would have thought that maybe you would have worked with, And it was the one that introduced me to your designs. Yeah, which is kind of weird because usually that process is switched. You'll do maybe the lesser brands and then go right to designer if you want to. I would never guess you would even want to do high end designer stuff.
Speaker 1: Well, for one, that's when I was like a nine to five employees So that was about making a shoe that was the best thing for Versace. It had nothing to do with like me being involved. Maybe looking in retrospect, maybe you could see a little bit of the style or the so but like for the most part, that was a Versachi shoe. But now when the collaborative shoes have my name on it, now I'm able to like really do my dance and kind of do what I want.
Speaker 3: You have full creative control.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's but at the same time, there is like I couldn't just come in here and be like, all right, listen, flip Flops, Timberlands, let's see how we can merge these ideas. Yeah, you know what I'm saying, Like, you know, it needs to make like commercial sense, but I think I haven't. I've had enough of a history of proof of concept and success that now there's trust. So now like they're willing to give me budgets to do the campaigns and no one shows up and I can just like get it done and then they're just expecting your assets. Yeah. So I think with proof of concept in any field, there's more trust and people just expect you to perform.
Speaker 2: I've noticed over the years though, like the sneaker the sneaker game has changed a lot from retail to just fashion and in style. But one thing that kind of like blew me away. Last week I was talking to my boy and he last year he sold his Jordan one shot a backboards. He sold them, somebody used, he wore them a couple of times, sold them for five hundred dollars. He just bought them again this year, last week's they're sitting on the shelves for one hundred and thirty dollars. How does that shift in a year where you can sell this same exact shoe like resale, yeah, for five hundred and then twelve months later it's sitting on the shelves. One of the most iconic Jordan ones ever is just sitting on the shelves, Like, how does the market fluctuate that like drastically and such a short time.
Speaker 1: So I'll give you two things, so one and that's why I believe, you know, starting a brand right now is the most appropriate time. I've been witnessing the death of hype. I don't think it's dead. I don't want it to die with Yeah, I would love to see it be revived. However, I'm witnessing the death of it. It doesn't seem like brands are investing in collaborations as much. They're not telling stories, and the consumer is more edge than they've ever been, so they see through the bullshit like very easily. That combined with like maybe a pending or existing recession, people are not spending money and there is a huge oversaturation of product and things and gone other times where you would like kind of wait for a release to happen. They're happening every fucking day, and so now I don't know if people are as invested. And that's why I think the whole brand thing makes sense, because it's not about just like you know, pulling out this like shiny rabbit out of my hat and being like, by this thing and it'll be gone tomorrow. It's more about like long term investment in community building and telling stories. Did that shift happen?
Speaker 4: And of course we don't need to talk about Kanye's politics, but once Kanye went to Adidas after the Nike thing, where you know, it.
Speaker 1: Was very tough to get the red octobers and.
Speaker 4: His goal was to make sure you could afford Yeasies and they were readily available at all times the Mass deal, did that shift happen there? Because now you have what would be quote unquote the hype Beast collab. Once Kanye was with Nike and then you could just walk into any foot locker and get some some Yeasies for a reasonable price. Once he went over to Adidas, like the hype wasn't there. I thought that was a good thing. I thought they were quality shoes. And affordable, and I hate when you can't just go get some shit that you want.
Speaker 1: But no, So that's an interesting it's funny that you say that. So, and this isn't my take. There's this dude, Jacques Slid. I've repeated this on like every for every conversation I've had, but he pretty much was talking about how the white Jordan cement for has been sitting on shelves and outlets and people are really upset about that. But that really shows you how backwards the sneaker community is now, where like if there is an iconic shoe and it's accessible, we're angry because we're used to we need to be like waiting in line in the rain and being whipped or something, or spend spending an obscene amount of money on resale for you to feel like you own it, right, and so you'll brought her a cool crowd exactly. And so that's kind of how backwards things are right now, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's almost like I feel like in the hip hop world, when fans feel like they got to an artist early and then the artist becomes popular and they're mad. It's like you don't want you to show I'm not going to do. You don't want your favorite artists to be popular.
Speaker 2: But it is a different time though Slay, Like, I mean, I can get a classic Jordan's shoe easier, and I can get your shoe or easier and I can get Joe Fresh Goods or you.
Speaker 3: Know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: It's like that is just crazy to me, Like it's it's long going of the days where you know, Jordan's will sell out and it's like, I gotta go pay resale now I'm paying resale for your shoe or Joe Fresh Gooods or Action Bronson's new Balance, like it it's insane the way it has flipped to. You know, it's not just the iconic athlete that's selling sneakers anymore. It's like creators and influencers who have a lot of style and have been in the sneaking industry shoe industry for so long, who are now doing their own thing. Like those are the products that I think we want and believe in more because we kind of feel like we saw a Salty story.
Speaker 3: We saw him, we saw his ascension, and.
Speaker 2: Now he's here creating this thing where it's like, Okay, I need to be a part of this because his work speaks for itself. His brand throughout the years just told the story and it's a part of the story. If I don't have that, that's like a chapter that I'm missing out on the so lazy story a little bit. Is that something that you've done intentionally to create this timeline and this storyline?
Speaker 1: Has it been intentional?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: I think it's I've just been kind of like nimble and like and kind of flex like flexible I want to yeah, I would say, yeah, just flexible with the opportunities that I've been given. And I think that now that a lot of the work has had my name on it, there's been this red thread that exists simply because I can like make it how I want to make it. And so I'm also somewhat of a selfish designer because up util this point, prebrand, a lot of these collaborations were just things I wanted to wear. I was like, what's going to be dope? What's going to be dope for this opportunity or this brand?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 1: And so with like a Croc, I thought to myself, man, like I respect the brand of Crocs. They've existed for decades, but I've never really worn crocks like that, like maybe had one or two in the closet, They've never really left the house. How could I challenge myself to create a crock that looks cool and that people want to wear and that potentially you can like even exist within like this sneaker space. Right, so there are even like a lot of decisions with that shoe or like I was like, you know, they put a lot of their crocks and like bags, so when you buy a crack, it comes in like a bag. Yeah. I was like, no, we need to have like a box because this I was even asking you about your sneakers. The sneaker snack, the sneaker stacking ritual is a really important ritual within sneakers. So immediately if we're making this thing that we wanted the sneaker crowd to respect and they can't even stack their boxes, yea, yeah, we were already behind. Like even your boxes are art is a piece now, thank you?
Speaker 2: Like when you get them, it's like I know by stacking them obviously you know sneak As we you stack our boxes is always the label out.
Speaker 3: So we know exactly who what it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, with yours, I can just look at the color of the box put on top of it, I know exactly what it is. To me, that's just a certain attention to detail. I think that you know, guys like you, guys like Joe fresh Good's Action Bronch and like y'all pay attention to those certain things.
Speaker 1: How really is the thing of please? So if you think about when you get an iPhone and you peel off that piece of plastic and how smooth it comes up, right, every every every piece of real estate on a product is an opportunity to execute detail or display your brand or portray excellent. So I really I believe in that. And so whether it's the packaging or any of that stuff, I think that lets the people know that it's the brand. And so if you think about that Apple example, like if you got an iPhone, then you peeled the plastic off and it was.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, they just do this together.
Speaker 1: This isn't an iPhone with Apple, It's like excellent. So yeah, with all the things I create, I try to be like intentional about you know, how it's done.
Speaker 2: How many silhouettes have you you know, through the companies you work for, like the silhouettes that are sitting there where you're like, okay, let me take these and put the silet he spent on it. Because a lot of the easies that we've seen.
Speaker 4: He's posted silhouettes that aren't coming out that have pissed me off.
Speaker 1: Then you could have kept that to yourself. You need Instagram.
Speaker 2: But I can imagine these brands like Puma and Adidas were easy.
Speaker 3: They just have this warehouse full of silhouettes.
Speaker 2: That they can't move, like quote unquote the Dad Sneaker, I think the wave Runner is this dad sneaker that Kanye just got his hands on and put some beautiful ballads to it and just kind of.
Speaker 1: Like, how how often does that happen.
Speaker 2: When you when the brand reaches out to you and says, hey, we want to we want to partner with you, we want to bring you in. Like how often do you just go into the warehouse and just see the silhouettes and like, Okay, I want these four and let me do my thing with these.
Speaker 1: So it kind of depends on the amount of time that you have, right because to actually make a shoe, both design it and then develop it. Like when I say develop it, I mean like factory samples that whole exchange that can take up to a year. So like even the Halliburns you for example, like that took like a year. But then these runners that I recently came out with Puma, that is an existing shoe that I've kind of missed, potato headed some like new details on to make it feel fresh. The way that I differ as a collaborator is I'm a classically trained designer. I went to school for this shit. I can take a white piece of paper and create something and make it into a real shoe.
Speaker 3: Classically trained designer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know if that's my term. I've been saying that it feels that sounds fine, like.
Speaker 4: The Juilliard version of design, Like I really went to school, exhibit to school.
Speaker 1: I went to school for this, So I make things. I know my ship, And I think there's a difference with collaborations where they might take a shoe and just add color to it and then what I do, which is design something from the ground up. And I'm not devaluing that at all because some of the best collaborations of our time are color up. So I want to make that very clear. But there's a difference, and so you know, getting the opportunity with a brand to like go into their archive and take a shoe and then give a color. That's a cool opportunity, but I am definitely way more attracted to making something new. Yeah, you know, and then what's cool is like there's a Steve Jobs quote that says the audience or the consumer doesn't know what they want until you show it to them, and so I think, you know, the crock is a perfect example of that because if you were to ask people, like a lot of the people, you know, the amount of messages that I got that said like this made me wear cracks for the first time. Like if you'd ask those people a year ago, like, hey, like you're gonna be wearing crocs to like the club, You're crazy. But that's just an example of them not knowing what they want you or making a sensible shoe. Cool.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because crocs were always they were always comfortable, comfortable time, but it was just it was the moms started it, so it just kind of turned into that type of image of like I can't just be walking outside and crocs, I'm gonna get smoke.
Speaker 2: The Lady's Crock is the first crock I ever wore lights to the airport, like a great airport.
Speaker 1: Yeah, bro, good travel shoes, good travel shoes.
Speaker 4: I just recently bought them. I don't know if we've called the forest print one that you just I bought.
Speaker 1: That research free camo. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I went right to the resale to get that ship.
Speaker 2: Now, how often do you do you play with like textures, because I've noticed on a lot of your sneakers the textures get a little different depending on what it is, especially the ones with the whistle on it. Like that whole shoe just felt like a whole thing that we use, like all right, I want this here, I want this here. How often do you jump into projects like that where you're like, I want to think of the craziest.
Speaker 1: Ship, yeah, and just execute it. So that year one that was that was called the year at the Whistle one. Yeah, so that was new balance. I had done two shoes prior, which were color ups. That's why I'm not hating on color ups. I've had I've had a mini collaborations and color ups, and then they wanted me to design something from scratch. They wanted the I guess the foundation of the show had to be the five seven four, you got similiar some four. I'm not the crazy about the craziest about the five seven four, So I put a lot of details on that to try to make it feel different. So it's kind of a mister mister potato head execution. And then yeah, I was hiking a lot and and there's coyote, Like you could be hiking into your coyote year, you could hiking into your manline. I've never seen the maudline. But you need tools. I hike with like some weapons, you know, because if you do, you don't want to be caught without it. When the lion roll.
Speaker 2: I like, I like the whistle, But I was like your selet from New York, Like, where can I stash the you know, make make the make the joint where.
Speaker 1: I could put put the put the ox. I could put the box cut in hot ship.
Speaker 4: But how dirty New York City is? I might just I might just get beat up. I'm my mouth, I'm not with like, I'm not we're not doing that. But let me put a little different.
Speaker 2: Put a little pocket with the blade and right, yeah, absolutely, So who's some of the greatest sneaker designers that you've had an opportunity to sit with and kind of just like soak up some knowledge and something I.
Speaker 1: Love that I've never asked that question. There's an opportunity to just shout out some o gs. So it's tinkering asshole. I've only met I've only met him on some like shake his hand, maybe take a photo. Actually no, I've never taken a photo of him, but just shake his handside with I don't know. I have no idea.
Speaker 3: That's that's my favorite.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No he's No, he's because you're saying, oh, no, I think he's a good guy. There's a there's a Netflix dot called Abstract. So I watched that. He looked good. He looked like a good yea, it looked like a cool guy. Yeah. So Nathan man Hook he is a designer that was at Nike for a bunch of years. He designed the Easy two. He was head of a CG for a very long time. He has a banger after banger, and then he went to Montclair and when I did My Mind Claire Collaboration got to work with him there, which was cool, just kind of like working with an idol. And now he is currently at Adidas doing like Adidas basketball another Jeff Henderson. Yeah, so I brought him up in probably every interview I've done. He was at Nike for like twenty years. We met at Colhon. I worked under him there, and then he helped me actually get the easy gig because he was doing some design work with him. Is that the one you got when you DM somebody on LinkedIn? That was for Versace? I can tell that story as well, Okay. And then who else is a good a good designer? M oh yeah, Fardin has Ratizade. He was my assistant designer at Versace. Okay, so when I get into the Versadi st I explain that. But it was just me and him and we were just doing a gang of shoes together. And now he works at a Miri and he's killing killing things, like doing shoes and accessories, and it's just cool to like see like have someone to work under you and then see them grow and the blossom shoes, shoes. Who else t bow is He used to be the Dior footwear designer, so he designed like the be twenty two. This was around the time of like the Triples and around the period of time, and he is now he now does footwear and sneakers for l V, as well as a pretty cool birkanstyle collab that he just did. There's a pretty small community of footwear designers and it will seem to all know each other because it's like a very specific craft. So yeah, shout out all those people.
Speaker 3: So now where's the brand now?
Speaker 1: Okay. So when I first left for Sachi and I was going to kind of like be out on my own, the first thing that I knew was just to make a T shirt company. I grew up in Tribeca Lower East Side, kid, I grew up on all these a life and all these stores you know, to make ah, exactly that like that. When that show was on, I was literally living that exact life. So I was like, that was one of the most legendary shows of all time. Absolutely shout out Brian, I don't know the other guy's name, and uh, bring me back, bring me back to how to make an America took me somewhere with Sponge Sponge I.
Speaker 2: Started, yea, so lady still going back there, Like I was selling Nicks and.
Speaker 1: Doms, right, yeah, yeah, So I started making T shirts, making hoodies, making sweatpants and stuff, and it really existed as like a streetwear brand so that you know, things were selling out, but I was I wasn't really like wearing the stuff too much. It was just more an umbrella for me to kind of do whatever I wanted because I had existed in this space for so long where we were following trends and trying to hit different consumers, and I was like, you know what, let me just make some patterns sweatpans just because I want to write. So it's more so freedom. Now. What this is is I am making a real proper brand with ownership and partners and all the resources that I would need to compete with the footwear giants that exist in our space and have existed for the last like thirty forty years. And so yeah, this is the result. It will not exist in hype that much. It'll be more about serving as many people that want to be involved in the operation as possible, and it will be about bringing in community because a lot of my work in the past at least like six years, has been about exclusion and hype. And you can't get this and that's literally how we started this, Like I can't get the shoes. The idea is at a certain point anyone that wants sponge foothere will be able to get it. There will be some certain moments of hype, because that's where I come from. Yeah, but this is about the full pie.
Speaker 4: Was was that the plan with the spongebrand, even like years ago when you were doing the Croc stuff and even other collapse you would send the friends and family ship through the Sponge website, which wasn't always the Sponge brand, Like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that was kind of like a little corporate finessing I did. Yeah, so every every new Balance and Crocs campaign I believe featured Sponge socks and what and what I was doing with that was kind of hijacking all of those campaigns on a very sub like on a lower level, like not a lower level, but kind of like in a secret way, if you will, intentional, but like low as a way to just publicize the logo because the most the valuable thing about a logo is the amount of times you've seen it, because then it becomes more and more like recognizable, iconic whatever. So I'm thinking to myself, if I have some far off plan of starting a brand, why not just like inject did into these campaigns. And I wasn't really thinking like hijack. That's more like, like, no, it was tastefully yeah, it was like it wasn't like it was in your face. And then also the models needed clothes to wear, so all often the clothes were all sponge. Yeah, and so this was like kind of like and a lot of these campaigns like had massive budgets, So I was like, it was kind of a hijacking in a sense respectful when.
Speaker 4: I think, yeah, no, I was a perfect way to go about it, because that's how I even got familiar to it. And then with the website, I didn't fully know. I just knew that that was part of your brand. Sponge some somehow has to do with you, So that made more sense. With launching the sponge, choose to be like, Okay, this was the next step in the entire process.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it existed as an Instagram with no photos for like years, and my platform for where I sold my collaborations was called be a Sponge. So then that was also kind of a way to publicize what I don't know exactly I was sure I was ready to do yet, but on the maybe opportunity on the horizon, and yeah, and then now this moment is really more about like a transition. So collaborations will continue, but I really want to explore full brand ownership and get to create freely and not necessarily collaboratively, because when you create collaboratively, there are obstacles. Things don't always go your way, right when you have two different parties trying to reach a common destination. Different parties want different things. And so now with this brand, it's just going to be It's going to be mind and I'm excited. Would you rather sell?
Speaker 2: Would you rather make one hundred shoes and sell one hundred shoes or make a thousand and sell six fifty?
Speaker 1: Make one hundred shoes and sell one hundred shoes.
Speaker 3: Or make a thousand and sell six to fifty.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't get what you're asking me that that's a lot of numbers, because would you rather keep it?
Speaker 2: I'm just saying, because would you rather keep it like very small? A very small release or a wider release, but you don't sell all the way through like the shoot up?
Speaker 1: Oh, I think it depends what part of the business that you're in. You know, if you're introducing a brand, it might be a little bit different. Because going back to the whole demand thing. It's like, if a shoe releases right now and they make enough for everybody, and maybe someone in your life that you don't deem to be cool has them, you're taking them off immediately, right. But then if a shoe releases and you can't get it at all and it's too rare, you're also upset, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Because then I see a kid walking down fucking kin Mare that has him on and I'm like, he not even doing them, right. He went some bullshit like I don't fuck he got I can't even get those, so he stood online he got them. Yeah, And it's like now I'm mad because I'm like, they only made a hundred of those.
Speaker 4: Like yeah, but that was even like when you were a kid and the richer kid at your school got the new Jordan's, but he laced them too tight worm with corduroys, like he didn't even like, you don't even deserve those types of sneakers. That's just that sneaker culture. That's kind of like what comes like, all right, so words, the definition of words change as time goes. In twenty twenty five, would you consider yourself a sneakerhead? Everyone's hype beast? And then you figured out your tribe and it went to sneaker.
Speaker 1: Yes, at that way. But even with hypees though, hype East used to be or is, but it used to be like one of the only websites that documented this culture. So it was the website. And then I think again the media was like what do we call these people?
Speaker 4: And it like hype beasts shouldn't have ended up being somewhat of an insult to somebody like you a hypeieast, which is fucked up. Yeah, because you're right, hype Piast was the only one that was. It was during like the blog era of music, like that first early time of I think even taste Maker's culture was off hype Beast. Then the world found out about it, and you got a bunch of dwaves that are in the same line as you, and then it's.
Speaker 1: Like, yore you a fucking hype East. Get away from me. Yeah, but it's but it's almost a perspective thing because there are some people that are happy to be called hipster and there's some people that would hate to be called hipster.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I never minded it until again, words take new definitions as time goes because in the beginning, yeah, like a hipster would have never offended me.
Speaker 1: It's fine with me. Cool now I know you saying something else. Yeah, it's true.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I think sneakerhead now has gotten that that that insults to some degree too, because when people ask you had a ten outside Supreme store right now away from I think I'm a sneakerhead.
Speaker 1: I don't think you are. I don't chase like I.
Speaker 2: Don't chase the sneakers. You appreciate that, I appreciate it. If I like it, I get it. But like, I think a sneakerhead is a kid that you see at every release.
Speaker 1: He's chasing every drops, nothing wrong, nothing wrong with it. A reseller, though.
Speaker 3: But I think though, I think now that's it.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you said that because I think it's one in the same difference I think sneakerheads. I think a lot of sneakerheads are now resellers.
Speaker 1: I just had a I just came from a signing a kid. Then there are some kids there that were like, really happy to meet me. You want to take a photo, ask me a question. If you kids there that just get it signed and walk away, you can tell the difference.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there resellers there. And they're going, yeah, but I mean, I'm not the resell game. How do you feel about that? Like, how do you feel seeing your sneakers sold for double which you sold them on your website? Like is it like you don't care once they buy it what they do with it is not your business? Or do you still kind of feel like I wish they weren't doing that.
Speaker 1: I think everyone has a hustle. I think I came from this. I used to camp Supreme is it. Well, there's a new Supreme, but the old Supreme that was only ten blocks from here. I used to camp out there as a high schooler, buy a two hundred dollars pair of shoes and sell them the same day for two thousand dollars, and so like, I can't hate on anyone getting that kind of hustling, you know what I mean. And those are great experiences I remember, just like camping out, going to the bathroom in bodega's, watching Family Guy my portable DVD player. Yeah, those are good times, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Well, back when they were selling the Supreme teaese on the table, Yeah, you just have the teacher and the folding table.
Speaker 4: They got me for two fifty six on his crocs last week.
Speaker 1: Okay, so dude, you guys, can you just hit me? I mean, I don't like to posit it now well now and now you can't. Yeah, I'm not guy, bro.
Speaker 2: You know how many people hit me like yo the silet's I'm like, I'll just be biting my love.
Speaker 3: I'm like, you's fucking joined the so far. But I'm not hitting Silas.
Speaker 1: I'm just not that.
Speaker 4: I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't like doing it. If I can get him, I'll get him in No. This is a perfect transition for my versace story because it's about asking you guys. Ready, Okay, I'm ready yet, Maul.
Speaker 4: I know you're thinking about upgrading to an all new iPhone seventeen Pro, designed to be the best and most.
Speaker 1: Powerful iPhone ever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my thoughts again.
Speaker 4: Yeah, listen, man, weeks you've been thinking about this whatever. You're also thinking about the traffic on the way there. I'll think about that all the time, yes, you in traffic has always been a matter of fact, that's one of your best lives.
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: Well, good news, mall.
Speaker 4: When you order a new phone online with Boost Mobile to send an expert right to our office They'll set up your whole iPhone seventeen with boost Mobile within minutes, no hassle whatsoever.
Speaker 2: Visit boostmobile dot com to get started. Delivery available for select devices purchased at boostmobile dot com. Terms of today's show is brought to you by a new presented sponsored hard Rock Bet. When you think of hard rock, you're probably thinking of music or world class hotels and casinos. But the hard Rock Bet app is sports betting and it hits a little different than the other sportsbook apps. It's simple, clean, and it's packed with new promos every day. Starting with your first bet, new customers can place five dollars bet and if it hits, you get not only your winners, but also one hundred fifty dollars an extra bonus bet. The NBA season is back and every night is a shot to score major bucket on hard Rock Bet, your home for.
Speaker 3: Hoop's action all season long.
Speaker 2: Need a little help with your first bet, check out the streets heating up inside the hard Rock Bet stats hub. There's new promos every day, so no matter what day you listen to this, just open the hard Rock Bet app. Payable on bonus bets, not a cash offer. Offered by the Seminal Tribe of Florida and Florida offered by Seminal hard Rock Digital LLC.
Speaker 3: In all of the states.
Speaker 2: Must be twenty one plus and physically present in Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, New Jersey, Ohio, Tennessee, or Virginia to play. Terms and conditions apply. Concerned about gambling and Florida called one eight three to three play wise. In Indiana, if you you or someone you know has a problem gambling and once help, call one one hundred nine with it gambling problem called one hundred gambler. Arizona, Colorado, Illinois, New Jersey, Ohio, Tennessee, and Virginia.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I moved to LA to design for Kanye different conversation. That job exists for about fourteen months, it ends, and now I'm looking up and I'm like, oh, I'm in Los Angeles because I'm in New York. I moved out there for that job. I never knew that, but yes, native New Yorker moved out there for that job. Be out there for like ten years now. And so I look up and I'm like, oh, I'm in Los Angeles. I got to figure it out. I start freelancing for different brands brand no like good brands, but just brands like make a paycheck. I get to the end of that year, I have two months rent left. I don't really know what I'm going to do. I'm shooting my shot everywhere on LinkedIn and Craigslist and just everywhere right, just hoping anyone replies. So it's not even about getting like a flashy job. It's just about getting a job, getting getting a paycheck. And then I see a Verashachi design director and I hit him up and I propose an opportunity. I'm like, the sneaker industry is a multi billion dollar business. When we were growing up, it was about Nike, Rebak, Adidas, pum a New Balance. And now when I said this, it was five years ago. Now five years ago because of raf Raff, Adidas, Ni Nike come to Garson and blndcy I starts making cool ship. Now this multi billion dollar consumer is aware of the fact that fashion houses can make sneakers. So I was like, it's an opportunity for you guys. What did you say?
Speaker 3: Why three?
Speaker 1: Exactly? Why three? As well? You should?
Speaker 4: I feel like Door was putting out out of all the those types.
Speaker 1: It was like this storm of brands, like like a light bulb moment of like, wait, we can make shoes too, So this is me just bite from a lot of other shoes.
Speaker 4: But that's another com yeah, another But I saw I saw the question threes and in no strooms was marsh.
Speaker 1: I was like, yeah, what the fuck do we table that? Because I got to I got a perspective of that. So wait where my or my LinkedIn? And so I proposed that opportunity just shooting my shot. I'm like the image of unemployment? Am I underwear eating cereal? Like on my couch and ship? And three days later, Donna Teller replied to me Don Teller Verrasacci. And I wasn't that familiar with who she was because I didn't go to school for fashion. But I just knew that there was like this important blonde lady and that was black that were black in high fashion, right, So I was like, did I know this is someone? And so I she said, she reaches out and she says she wants me to come to mind and tell her more. And I'm going to just go out there with a few pages of like trend of like probably just screenshots from hype beasts of like check you guys, ever heard of Camo? You know, like, well that's where my taste was, yeah, Jordan and so. But then the week leading up it was strange. It's like someone was like, you should do some sample design work. Don't assume they know you can design. Someone else was like, go to the store, see what's telling do you market research? Another person was like, they're untuning people that look like me or you in the high fashion space. So it's bigger than us or bigger than me, and I could be paving away. So what was going to be like a four page presentation turned into like a forty page presentation. I go out to Milan, presented down to tell on one on one. She starts bringing people into the room. She loves it. At the end of it, she's like, I love you. I want to hire you. I want you to like move out to Milan, or what do you want to do? She was like, do you want to consult? Do you want to come out here for like a season? What do you want? So she was so flexible about it. I was like, and I have my own design studio in La and then I'll come here once a month for shows and all that kind of stuff, factory visits and stuff, and she was like sure, So then I went outside and did my pursuit of happiness. Absolutely, that's also that moment.
Speaker 4: But to speak to her too, usually, especially on this podcast, we shipped on a lot of execs. That's an amazing story from an exec perspective too, that yeah, because I like of what you've turned out to be. Clearly she saw a vision that you had and knew how talents would you work. That's a crazy thing to just be that flexible, like what do you want to do?
Speaker 1: But most execs don't.
Speaker 4: Do that type of stuff, not taking any especially when it's unproven.
Speaker 1: She changed my life. So not taking anything away from the decision that she made and maybe what she saw in me. But another thing that was happening simultaneously was Virgil was just doing what he did at LV. Yeah, of course, and so now you have this world, this high fashion world that maybe isn't the most familiar with people that look like a Virgil or myself doing shit like that. And so I definitely think that the storm that he was creating where he was was kind of just opening up to the eyes to that entire world, you know, and not completely but just maybe making them things like damn. And then not only that, it was I'm another one coming off the Kanye tree and during that period of time anyone that was a designer, And actually I was just on the cutting room floor and she made me realize this a male designer, which I believe to be true by just proximity. You were knighted, you were also mad. So like I think the combination of Donna Teller, you know, observing something in me, but then also Virgil showing them what we can do and then also having a little bit of that of that yeasy dustiny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how much of influence speaking of Virgil? Was Virgil for you with everything he did with Off White and then what he did obviously with footwear and now to what Pharrell is doing. Like these are guys that I mean Pharrell in particular, somebody that we've always looked at and always just like had the right pieces on and the way he put it together was always just a fashionable person. But to see the spaces that Pharrell is in now obviously, how much of that inspires you and has helped you along your journey?
Speaker 1: I mean I would just say with a Virgil it was really more about representation. I think the obvious things are like wow, Like it's like Obama becoming president, right, It's like wow, we can get there, we can be accepting this space and have success. But then it it was like the smaller things. I was recently saying, this is simply him just traveling, like traveling business class in a hoodie with Jordan's on, and then he gets to the airport, an old white dude picks him up, grabs his bags for him. He's in the back of whatever dope car, and like these are like superficial things. But then also they were very eye opening because anytime I've seen this in a movie, it was a white guy in of suit, you know what I mean. And so now I was like, wow, like I can have this too, and I don't have to be a rapper to do it. Yeah, So just that level of representation and inspiration was really powerful, just because I had never really seen it done like that before. And now He's going into this like high fashion environment and accept it. And so that's ultimately what I achieved at Versace. You know, I was in this environment where in like Obama supreme like cropped pants and like and like hoodies and tied I shirts. But it was like I belonged and I brought value. And so I think, you know, getting to witness what he did made me comfortable doing what I did. And then at for A Pharrell, I think more he's like a representation of like black alien. There are just some individuals that have kind of just inspired me and reminded me that that black people exist on a spectrum and it's not a monolith. And so where something may have been like written off is like weird, like weirdo shit shout out Troy AV.
Speaker 4: I mean, if you go through that whole Kendrick and Troy Av, I think we see where it landed.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I just think that like it's like people like Pharrell or Tyler or Yay or even myself for people to see and just simply witness is different, regardless of talent or anything, just witness like confidence and being different in individualism. And you know, so just that's why I lean into just being myself so much, you know, because I've witnessed people like a Pharrell do the same and get so much success for me literally being himself, being himself, you know, at.
Speaker 4: A time when it was corny to be everything that Pharoh was when he first entered into the world. I do want to ask you again with how these high end designers have been remixing shoes. It's getting like a little insane. Who redid this Sam Smith joint? Everyone was wearing those fat McQueen yeah, McQueen McQueen ones with that. When we was in Atlanta and the shit across from the mall you get killed at, they got the high end mall. I went in there, the Margiala's. It was really the question threes. Like I was like, this is the They're not even trying.
Speaker 1: To hide it. It's legitimately the question three. I think it's at the end of the day, it's like business. And I don't think they're like this is purely speculation. But I don't think they're too invested in like that conversation because they didn't really give a fuck, And they also know. I think they know that their consumer doesn't either know about their original shoot or they give a fuck. Like I think if you went up to someone wearing those like mcqueens that are maybe like eight hundred dollars and you were like those look like one hundred and thirty five dollars Adidas, Like get that out of my face. Yeah, you know what I mean. And so I don't know if the consumers are even.
Speaker 4: Like yeah, well even from the standpoint or even the questions though, like is there a designer that's in that office that's putting that up on a projector like let's literally just redo this.
Speaker 1: Well, if you think about it, like if there was a shoe that's been successful for like fifty years and then you identify that, you can probably make money off of it. I'm not saying that's something I would ever want to do, but course, especially if you're especially if you're a brand, then maybe your four business isn't thriving. One of the smartest things in the world would be to just identify like a classic shoe because also McQueen did it with a I think an Airmax ninety or in MX one there's a shoe, yes, exactly air Max ninety five. Maybe maybe, but did that was insane? Yeah? I think there's more worried about the like the at least in the sneaker game, the business instead of the over the design integrity.
Speaker 4: Perhaps you guys were talking off Mike that you feel like, merch wise, you really don't need anything past a guilding hoodie. I thought that was an interesting combo you guys were having off microphone. Yes, and I think a lot of people that listen to this that's still at home merch would.
Speaker 2: I understand what you're saying, because when you look at guys like you know, West Side Gun was able to do with their merch, I mean those were champion blinks. Yeah, and west might have two fucking rolls Royces and two fucking you know, champion blinks.
Speaker 3: But I just, you know, I just feel like now more.
Speaker 2: Than ever, quality and texture, and I think those are kind of would set yourself apart.
Speaker 3: I get what you're saying.
Speaker 2: If you're selling, you know, mass amounts of merch, then you know you can kind of like but I still feel like, you know, when you have something that lasts, you know, something that you know. I can have this hoodie for three years, I can wash it over and over and it gets better with each wash and kind of like the worn look. I just feel like, to me, I'm on that side of the merch like because I want to wear my merch like I don't want to just have it and collected. I want to wear this, I want to wash it, I want to be able to travel with it. Do you still feel like the lesser quality or the lighter quality, not as heavy on the quality, but obviously just the moment being being able to have it say something that says, Okay, I was a part of this moment. You think that's the more important part of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I think all the things you listened are things that people expect from a brand, not merch, like if you saw someone right now.
Speaker 3: But merch is almost a brand now these days.
Speaker 1: No, that's a good point, but I think it's a little bit more like temporary, like because I think merch constantly has to shift with what the artist is doing and like the moment, whereas a brand is a little bit more timeless if you think about like the regards of how you feel about them currently. But if you think about someone wearing a Yeeziest tea or something, you're going to see that tea and it's going to bring you back to a time, especially if it has a year on it. You're like, oh man, that was when he was floating over the stage, or black skinhead or whatever. You're not gonna be like, let me feel that collar. That doesn't make sense.
Speaker 4: I will say the easiest to me was the greatest live tour I've ever seen personally, just.
Speaker 1: My opinion, I've bought a dog was amazing, insane.
Speaker 4: I bought the merch at the easiest tour and outside of the design being cool and I'm not so about the Confederate flag one whenever the other one was the first thing I did think when I put the shirt on was like, I've never bought merch that was cut this way, Like okay, well they cut it different, Like I remember sitting there like, oh, this is cut different.
Speaker 1: Like I appreciated that.
Speaker 4: It felt like a more quality see and it was sold at the same price at any concert I would buy merch at at the garden. So I hear you on the merch side, But that did that did like resonate with me, Like this shirt. I could wear the shirt outside, like to a party.
Speaker 1: I love quality, So I'm definitely not speaking against that, but I think the idea of merch is ultimately to have a high margin. On the business side, Yeah, absolutely so, if you're investing, if you're leaning into like quality too much, your fans will love you. But I don't know. This is about just merch.
Speaker 4: I mean our first merch line that I think is the greatest podcast merch line that ever existed.
Speaker 1: Oh we were We.
Speaker 4: Went in the red purposely, like we knew we were going to lose money just based off the quality.
Speaker 1: And to me, that was the best thing. And I was fine with losing.
Speaker 4: Money in that regard because the quality was that good that s it was like Damny or John Elliottody.
Speaker 1: So like I think, who does it perfectly is like Travis Scott because I I've heard this again, I don't know, no confirmation, but I've heard that the quality of his merch isn't the best, but the design.
Speaker 4: The design makes the quality look okay. When it's on your body, it's executed the color paler it does amazing.
Speaker 2: But it's like I wore the sweatsuit when he did the Uh I forgot what you drop it? Which cactus jack drop? It was probably was the first of the second one. I wore a sweatsuit and by the time I got home, like in between the legs right here, it was like the limp balls. Like this is a brand news I'm talking about brand News. First they wore and it had like the limp balls, Like I wore the ship for three summers. So I'm like, I'm like Travis, we can't be doing this, bro.
Speaker 4: Another person that does it well with the quality of Saint John, like John, Yeah, they're they're like saying, you're saying that some of the best.
Speaker 2: He has some of the best merch that I think I've ever seen for any arts.
Speaker 1: But he again I don't know his business, but I believe he makes.
Speaker 3: A good He makes a lot of money off merch.
Speaker 2: Like the merch line at his shows after the show is over.
Speaker 3: Is like it's like almost like a meet and Greek.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like they're online waiting to get But again, he makes it very specific to the album, the whole story. The albums to drop, like you said you want to have this, and years they look back like, oh, this is when I went and saw him at this, this was the drop, this was the album. But again, the quality is also very heavy Totten, very heavy sweats And I think that's a lot of the reasons why people love his merch because they know I can have this sweatsuit for five centers and it's gonna look like I just got it last week. Whereas with Travis again selling a shit ton of merch, but the quality, I'm like, at this point, he can I'm not saying it has to be fair of god quality. Yeah, I'm not saying it has to be Jerry, but we gotta find we gotta get a little closer to quality.
Speaker 4: To me, it's more cut than it is quality in that I.
Speaker 2: Wasn't mad at the cut, but the fact that I had limp balls in between my legs and I only had to suit on for three hours was crazy. I just thought that, But again I was I was happy to have it because it was a moment he had just put out the sneaker. Now I got the sweat to the sneaker. Like you said, it's a whole storyline.
Speaker 1: So I get that.
Speaker 2: Who's some of your favorite current designers as far as like sneakers, Like who are wearing outside of sponge in your products?
Speaker 3: Who sneakers do you enjoy wearing?
Speaker 1: There's this brand called viz Vin. I've heard of them, You've heard of him. It's a Japanese b to go jacket over there. They're not really a sneaker brand by any but I wouldn't say, but they make this sandal called the Crysto and it's like this kind of like you've seen probably Travis Scott or like John Mayer wearing it. And it's what's funny about it. There was this like tweet about it that said that the Cristo is like the male version of the Lui biton Hill because it doesn't feel that good, but you feel like a battie okay, okay, so and so it's like finally feel like yes, finally yeah. So it's like it's honestly not the most comfortable, but it's like just a really well made sandal that you can have for like ten years and kind of molds your foot like a birkenstock. And so Visdom as a brand is just like a top tier brand that I love. And then also, you know what's tough with that question. I'm going to a complex un on this weekend and I get asked that question, all these like kids running up to me asking me if I'm confident shit, And I can't really shout out a lot of the brand the shoes that I like because I am not in partnership with them. And so that's an endorsement I totally get it. I get it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's crazy how he gotta like you gotta think like that now, Like, yeah, I just can't do it.
Speaker 1: But that's a testament to the work that you put in.
Speaker 4: I wanted to not approach this topic because it's going to get me riled up. But tonight is the Knicks home opener. Yeah, and you work with the enemy.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah yeah. Wait so you guys both Dixs fans, right, die hard? Okay, so first time live and die on. Let me tell you. Let me tell you the full story of this and then you'll understand. Okay.
Speaker 4: So Tyrey Saliburn for those that don't, yes, yes is enemy number one who asks.
Speaker 1: So I signed with Puma. It's a new opportunity for me because, as you said, I've been telling all these outdoor stories and this is the opportunity to tell basketball story. Group playing basketball, high school basketball basketball camps. Got a lot of bodies in that basketball court in Battery Park City, Okay, and uh I signed with Puma. It's basketball. I'm like, great, I get to do the whole basketball thing. And they also want me to help them sign a basketball player. So they gave me a list of basketball players, and the one that I chose was Tyrese Haliburn. Truthfully, I chose him because I saw what he did to the Knicks, not this most recent playoffs, but the one before. Yeah, right, and so we have to pitch to him. We signed him, we make the shoe, and then he has the most like amazing, you know, season whatever. In response to what you just said, if it was between your team and your career, what are you choosing, of course?
Speaker 4: And what's funny is after that last playoff series, like, yeah, of course we should have on sorry's Haliburton every time we got a mic in front of us, But once we got beat, it was like that was one of the best playoff performances I've ever seen in my entire life. Like he is one of the most talented players. Oh, it's like definitely, yeah, no, of course I work with him, but crazy New York.
Speaker 1: I was a little mad when I found out you were the one doing a sneaker. No, anytime around, I'm I'm vocal about the next thing. He talks his ship too, So yeah, there's a nice relationship there. I remember Game one of the finals because were trying to figure out when he was gonna wear the shoes. Yeah, I was telling him to wear him against New York. Obviously selfishly, he was like not went away for the finals, like he saw he had the vision that he was there, he already knew. And then I thought that I would get emotional if I saw him like hit a three or dunk, because this is something basketball is the reason that I became a forward designer. And I saw him stretching in the tone, and I started weeping, like proper, like really, yeah, it's amazing though. This was the little kid and me finally accomplishing the thing I wanted to acomplish my entire life at that moment, you know. And so I cried. And then he hit the game winner again, No, you know, you know what I did? Then, I like, I like yelled so fucking loud because there have been a decent amount of people that have not allowed me to have this opportunity of of designing a basketball shoot you said, so, I will say I definitely felt some level of redemption, you know, when that happened. And then at the end of it, or right after that, he's at the press conference with the shoes on the desk and he's getting credit to the shoes, So it couldn't have been a more perfect rollout for some stormbik ship and then unfortunately it ended it the way it did. But you know, even him making that decision to playing that game is you know, a testament to him as a player. So I'm a Knicks fan, but also my career is way more important than you know, Tyr's halburn is.
Speaker 2: It's not going to help you if you're down to two much rent there you go, not at all can promise you, not at all. I still haven't gotten able to get any Knicks tickets from the exactly that.
Speaker 1: But yeah, definitely it was weird. Like I was in Indiana. We just did a pop up for the Hallie Mart where I'm like doing Pacers trivia with Pacers fans and like I.
Speaker 2: Know that, Yeah, that is just.
Speaker 3: That is fire.
Speaker 1: So talk to us about this book past. The book is far.
Speaker 2: I mean just the aesthetic, like yeah, yeah, the material and everything I make shoes.
Speaker 1: I make shoes published by Rossoli. The front is a painting by my buddy delphin Finley.
Speaker 3: Wait hold on, not to cut you off.
Speaker 4: Yes, this the texture thing, and I like how he did like a track.
Speaker 1: This is album.
Speaker 2: This is insane, like again a slate attention to detail. Man, I love you, Bro, I love it, but I can't I can't take all the credit. A design agency named play Lab, or called play Lab look at this. They designed the book, so credit to them. Delphin Finley painted the cover. I think I'm one of the first, the first non rappers to get an Andre future. We got an Andre feature in that book, which.
Speaker 4: Was gonna be my last question before we got out of here.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, So Andre and I have sparked a friendship. We hike often, and I've just found on these hikes, like with him and a lot of other people, I have a lot of great conversations. Yeah. I don't know if it's because you're like isolated, common goal nature, but we've had many. And when I was doing this book, I was like, Bro, is there anyway we could like record one of them, transcribe it and put it in the book. So that's what that is. There's a good six or seven pages of just oh wait, go back, go back. You're right there. The small right there that is there, you go back. That is myself. O. J. Simpson, Nicole Brown Simpson and the Ninja Turtles. Yes, and my dad took that photo. Yes, And that's history right there.
Speaker 4: This should have been this should have been the cover. Can I use this photo as my next single? That's the wildest photo I've ever seen this. All right, So where was this at when you saw OJ? So?
Speaker 1: My dad's a photographer, and I think he had to. I think I think OJ was doing something with the Ninja Turtles and I was I wanted to come because I wassy like to meet the Ninja Turtles. I don't even know, I didn't know who O J was. Total I'm wearing I'm wearing like a Ninja Turtles like jumpsuit. That rat costume is crazy. And then and then actually that next page right there, that is a letter from SHK Wes, like good like eight years ago before he was like shack Wes and it's hilarious, so you obviously don't need to read it now, but it's a really good letter. And he starts it with this is a piece of art, and that when I read it at the time, I thought he was crazy. But reading it and going back now like it actually is a piece of art.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, this is this, This this book is incredible. Man, I can't wait to really get into it and think you read it and he had attention to this is fire, Yeah, this is this is dope.
Speaker 4: With some of those hikes, obviously a lot of you know, those conversations with Andre three thousand on those hikes would be private and personal outside of the one in the book. Is there anything that you can share of just what that relationship.
Speaker 1: Has been, Like, I think one of the most powerful things that I've witnessed with him is just like that he's really human and just some of the vulnerability that he's displayed was kind of refreshing, because you think some of these people that are living at such a high level are like these godlike creatures. But with some of our hikes, it was around the time of like right before his flute album, and just some of the things he expressed about being uncertain about making certain decisions or even releasing a flute album was really empowering because myself, at whatever level I'm at, I have so many insecurities and vulnerabilities and imposter syndromes. But you look at all the people that we like worship and you're like, no, they just they off.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, they must be so sure of everything.
Speaker 1: Right and so just to kind of like witness that. I thought it was pretty powerful.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it was dope.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: There's been a running joke on this podcast. Well not even a running joke, it's been a fact everyone has met Andre three thousand except you in Soho and I remember after that joke started. It must have been the first week I saw he was in your studio, your crib flute, and I was like, everybody, he doesn't want to be to l A.
Speaker 1: That's that's where he's where you be.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've read some articles Venice, he's like full time or I wouldn't say, I wouldn't say something that he didn't put in whatever. The only piece he did after the Flute album talked about how he met even some of the band members of that they all went to the same grocery store in Venice, and that he was living in Venice and that's how the whole yeah sh had came together.
Speaker 1: Your book available, wins. It is available now. You can go to any retailer that has Resoli Books or Amazon or Barnes and Noble. Go get this man, Yeah, go get it. Support me.
Speaker 3: It's amazing.
Speaker 1: Sponge available Sponge available also now on beasponge dot com. And uh, we were just at Kiss and we're about to be a complex con Oh yeah, I should probably plug that. Gonna have a booth, a complex count of sponge booth. There will also be a Salahi Museum of just past samples and projects that I've worked on. And this is uh, maybe you could consider it like the doorway to this brand of my beat your launch as well as the book.
Speaker 2: Love before You Go, And he plans for a brick and mortar in New York City. I think any brand that has a brick and mortar first needs to have success digitally, so that is right now the goal and then for the first store, if it were up to me, I'd actually probably be in Japan.
Speaker 1: Yeah I'm a New Yorker. I said that five times before anyone.
Speaker 2: But if you got that, you got that aesthetic the old Japanese god actually like that. Yeah, Japanese fashion inspires me because I definitely, because I think in America is everywhere. If you look in America, there's so many rules about like what you can wear at what age, and where you can wear and where you can wear it. But then in Japan, like you'll see like a six year l seven year old dude in like full camo and some Jordan's and he's like being taken very seriously.
Speaker 1: And you know what I mean, you know, so I just that inspires me. So now it's like, you know, where told that like maybe someone of a certain age can't wear like yeah, I feel like it's like that's only our cultural exactly. He only did exactly exactly, and it's something wrong. There's something fundamentally wrong with that. Sola.
Speaker 2: Thank you for coming through man, appreciate it. The book is fire. I can't wait to really get into it and read it and just and just you know, read more your story. Congratulations on everything that you.
Speaker 1: Thank you very much.
Speaker 3: Support you here.
Speaker 2: I'm saying it now before we signed off. He will be designing the first new roorial Mall sneaker.
Speaker 1: It's a fact.
Speaker 2: We're going to make it happen. I'm going to keep harassing until we make that happen.
Speaker 1: Can we get a shoulder roll? Can we get these numbers up? Get a shoulder roll for him? We are not.
Speaker 4: Shout out to all the nokes. I retired my shoulders. I think in twenty twelve time even like, yeah, I don't even know how to work.
Speaker 1: I'm here the back of where the ship.
Speaker 4: You gotta put oil in them SHIPLEI thank you, my brother.
Speaker 1: We appreciate you. Appreciate you. That's Slay appreciate you, Bro. Appreciate you, Bro. Man Oh, Wollie and Mound