Speaker 1: Welcome to Stuff you should Know, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hey, and welcome to the podcast. I'm Josh, and there's Chuck and this is stuff you should know. We're into twenty twenty six. Now, Chuck, where do you think about that? How you feel.
Speaker 1: I have high hopes for this year?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Oh man, do I really? I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think you should. Okay, we should have high hopes for every year and we can be let down, sure, but no, you could still have high hopes.
Speaker 1: I guess I have my cynical hat on. So that was a bad time to ask me that question because we're talking about Ed and Lorraine Warren. As Julia said, who titled this one? I'm using this title even it's great a paranormal power couple that you might know if you've ever seen movies like the Ammadeville Horror. So we talked about them in that episode for sure, or the Conjuring Yeah, or was it the Haunting in Connecticut? Yep was another one. M h. They made a lot of money scamming people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean, there's really no well, I want to say, there's no other way to put it. Plenty of people on the internet put it differently, they were the real deal, legit Ghostbusters demon Hunters. It just if you add up all the evidence in your incredulous and skeptical you probably not only suspect the Warrens were frauds, but you might actually have a little disdain for him. I say, we kind of present both sides, even though I feel like it's pretty clear where we land. Maybe.
Speaker 1: Okay, have you seen Kpop Demon Hunters? No? Is it?
Speaker 2: Kid?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I figured you guys would have seen that. I figured you and you would be into that.
Speaker 2: What is is it on Netflix? Because we don't have that anymore?
Speaker 1: Yeah? It's Netflix original?
Speaker 2: So okay, No, although they did show it.
Speaker 1: In theaters, had sing alongs in the theaters and stuff.
Speaker 2: Oh cute. I gotta see that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just didn't know if it's a legit sensation.
Speaker 2: It's funny that we I don't know what we were talking about, but the Conjuring came up not too long ago, and you said you hadn't seen it. Have you still not seen it?
Speaker 1: Since last week? I have not seen the Conjuring?
Speaker 2: Do you remember how it came up?
Speaker 1: I mean I think we were talking about the Raggedy end All.
Speaker 2: That's right, and a Doll's up great memory. So okay, I still say the conjuring up the first one is a legendary, classic, great ghost horror horror movie. It's just fantastic.
Speaker 1: So nothing changed since last week.
Speaker 2: No, but it could have because learning more and more about the actual backstory behind it and just how exploitive it was and how historically bent it is. Yeah, it could have. It could have really affected how I view it, but I decided not to.
Speaker 1: Well, you can separate art from the rag doll for sure.
Speaker 2: I can't, and I'm going to, by god, let's do that right now.
Speaker 1: All right? So Ed Lorraine Warren they founded in nineteen fifty two of the New England Society for Psychic Research in Connecticut. Ed said, you know, self described demonologists, Lorraine self describe clairvoyant and trance medium. And they formed that in Connecticut because they were both from Connecticut and looking at their list of greatest hits, did a lot of ghostbusting in Connecticut.
Speaker 2: Yeah. One of the things you can credit them for is they made the idea of like ghost hunting mainstream all of the terrible, yeah, terrible TV shows that are around today. All ohe their existence to the Warrens. Essentially, there were ghost hunters and psychical research societies and everything around before them, but they were so huge into publicity and getting their stories out there that they kind of put it on the map as far as as far as at least America is concerned.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure. So credit or scorn, they were the ogs. Ed was I guess Warren was his middle name because he was born Ed Warren Mainey in nineteen twenty six in Bridgeport. He says that he grew up in a haunted house, so that's where he got his first jones for this kind of work. And his wife was born Lorraine Moran Moran I think Moran Moran later Warren obviously in nineteen twenty seven, just a few months later, also in Bridgeport. Grew up very very Catholic and met and that'll play a part in their careers because it all had a Catholic vant and they met as teenagers, got married nineteen forty five when Ed was on leave from the Navy serving the World War Two, and then they had a little girl, Judy, and Ed went to art school and ironically that's where they got their start ghostbusting because they were traveling around selling hawking his wares as an artist, and they said, well, while we're here, we might as well do some paranormal investigation, because that's what you.
Speaker 2: Do, right, And if you are familiar at all with the Conjuring series, you're like already know all this. And that was because the largest horror franchise in history, the Conjuring Series, is based on the Warrens files, the books they wrote, the interviews they gave, the TV shows that they consulted on. If you put it all together, all of the Conjuring movies that started in twenty thirteen have grossed at least two point three billion dollars, all based on the malarkey that the Warrants came up with from the fifties to the I guess I think it really kind of tapered off in like the nineties.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's kind of crazy to think, right, this just sort of average couple from Connecticut who were doing their thing, Like I don't think anyone. I mean, they certainly saw dollar signs, but nothing like that.
Speaker 2: No, we have to say they never charged a dime from anybody in need that they were helping. They didn't make their money that way. They made their money through lectures, through selling their stories other people's stories. Frankly, they had a museum that they charged money to come in and see, you know, entry, but they never charged the people that they were helping, which I think is definitely worth pointing out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they didn't show up and say what do you got? You got a demon and you got a ghost. That's let me see carry the one. We can get rid of that thing for five grand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: So let's get into this. They I said, it was, you know, sort of very Catholic. Their encounters were very much steeped in Catholic dogma. We're talking. I mean, it's I say, it's right out of a horror movie, because it literally was. People would speak in different languages. Supposedly, they were alleged like hoof prints appearing in the snow, levitating beds, levitating kids, foul smells, exorcisms, furniture. You know that burnter is moving all over the place by itself. Doors are shutting without any wind blowing, right, just shutting for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, this is a fifty something year career. They founded the New England Society for Psychic Research in nineteen fifty two. So they've been doing this for quite a while, but they're they're all time. Huge cases didn't really start to pick up until this seventies. I think the first one that people point to is like the first big deal case was actually became the basis for that first conjuring movie. It was the paren Family Haunting with Carolyn and Roger Parrin and they had five daughters, and they moved into a house in Rhode Island, an old farmhouse that was built in the seventeen fifties I think maybe sixteen sixty seven round Top Road. It was also known as the Old Arnold Estate, and they moved in and they stayed there for ten years. But during that ten year time, they had some really hard occurrences. According to them.
Speaker 1: That's right. That's a great way to say allegedly, because I've been thinking about how to mix that up.
Speaker 2: According to them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's good. Yeah, I'm gonna use that. Yeah. The children were the first ones to sort of get the haunt, and the parents didn't really believe that was going on. They told their daughters like, no, you know, you're just being little girls, of course, and you're seeing ghosts that aren't there. But the parents soon got on board and said, yeah, something's happening here. The beds are levitating. There's that awful smell. They did a little self research before they called the Warrens and found that there had been apparently a lot of really gruesome deaths over the history of that home, which is not unusual for a super old farmhouse. So that's when they picked up the phone. They called the Warrens. I can't imagine what year was this, nineteen seventy one, Like, how I mean, this is in Rhode Island. I guess word just gets around or maybe they see a newspaper article or something, because you know, before the Internet, it was to me that all these people just knew who to call.
Speaker 2: I was wondering that as well. And I think in some cases they didn't call. It's just people have written that because there's so many cases, and they're so convoluted, and they're so just you know, there's so much bs around them that people just take total liberties with it. So it's not entirely clear who called whom. But let's just say they call the Warrens. Right, the Warrens showed up, they held a seance, and in the seance Carolyn is thrown across the room, but first she starts speaking in tongues. I think. Her daughter Andrea later wrote that she was speaking in a language that never existed on earth, I think, assuming that this was a demon, that kind of thing. And they traced the whole thing back to the spirit of a witch, a dead witch. And we established in the bell Witch short stuff that a witch ghost is the worst kind of both. And she had lived in the house in the early eighteen hundreds. Not only was she a witch, she was a child murderer. She had murdered an infant with a knitting needle, and so they had the seance. Carolyn gets thrown against the wall. Nothing changes, nothing solid, and the Warrens are like, see you, thanks for the story. You know, when the Warrens left, the haunting hadn't ended, but the Pirons stuck it out. Her parents stuck it out for ten years total, and then when they moved out, the haunting stopped.
Speaker 1: That's right, And you know what we're gonna do here. We're gonna go over some of their greatest hits as told by the Warrens and others, and then maybe we'll come back later and sort.
Speaker 2: Of pick them up part a bit, maybe if we feel like the.
Speaker 1: Next one, of course, is Annabelle. We talked a little bit about the Doll and the Dolls episode. This is the early seventies in Hartford, Connecticut, when a nurse got a raggedy and doll as a gift, and the doll came to life started doing some cute things like Hey, I'll leave a little note for the nurse, and or I'm gonna be you're gonna put me down in this chair, but I'm going to really go over in this room just so you know that I'm fully animated and alive.
Speaker 2: Like alf on the shelf kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. And the nurse was like, all right, this is fine because I think this doll was haunted by a little girl who died in the house named Annabel Higgins, and so I kind of feel bad because it's just a little girl ghosts. But eventually her friend, she had a friend that was physically attacked by unseen forces. I guess, you know via Annabelle the Doll and ed. Lorraine says, we're called in, but I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't minding the news and making some calls themselves, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, for sure, that would be my guest. Because this is an era, the seventies. Man, you could call a newspaper and be like, I've got a haunted doll, my house is haunted, there's a ghost switch, and a newspaper reporter would show up and write a story about it.
Speaker 1: Right, totally.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So yes, these stories did pop up the newspaper, and I'm quite sure that the Warrens were reading papers for this one way or another. They showed up and they determined, no, this is not the ghost of a little girl named Annabel Higgins. This is a demon hanging around a doll pretending to be Annabel Higgins in order to get close enough to Donna, the nurse whose doll it is, so that she can possess her soul. And that was the story that they told. What do you do when you got a demon?
Speaker 1: Chuck? You bringing an exorcist. And that's what they did. And this is my favorite part of this whole article is this sentence. It's unclear if it was successful, since the doll continued to cause problems. Yeah, yeah, I'd say that didn't work then. And the Warren said, all right, we'll just we'll take that doll since the doll's not the problem, and one day we shall make a lot of money from this doll.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they put it in their museum under glass, and apparently they said a prayer of containment to keep the the doll and its attendant demon behind the class.
Speaker 1: And I think it's worked because you know what, Apparently that doll just sits there behind the.
Speaker 2: Glass, yeah, staring. But they said that the last people who mocked at somebody who was visiting the museum died in a motorcycle crash right afterwards. So do you want to move on to the Lutzes, because I love the Lutzes and what they did, and said.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean this. We did a whole episode on this, so I don't think we have to get super detailed. But the Lutzes were the Amityville horror family. There at one twelve Ocean Avenue in Amityville, New York. This is in the mid nineteen seventies, and a real tragedy happened here in nineteen seventy four at about three o'clock in the morning when the guy who lived there, Ronald de Feo, Junior killed his whole family as parents is, four younger siblings. He killed them all as they slept by gunfire. And then a year later the Lutz family moves in, and they don't make it ten years. They make it about a month before they realized that mortgage was way too much.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, exactly. They said that. Afterward, they went to the press and said that they had experienced terrible odors. Both George and Kathy, the parents had been possessed dish maybe light, possessed that their daughter had made a friend named Jody with red eyes, who is actually some sort of pig ghost demon that no one else could see, although I think somebody caught sight of it. Fly swarmed out of nowhere and almost made Rod Steiger throw up. Yeah, this one's the creepiest. I love it the most. Hoof prints came out of nowhere in the snow outside of the house, and you know it has hoof prints.
Speaker 1: And walks upright, talented goat.
Speaker 2: A talented goat, a pig ghost demon or Satan himself.
Speaker 1: That's right. So the warrens are are there. I'm going to just stop saying called in. They just appear out of the ether. They do their investigation, and they said that they at first confirmed the presence of a child ghost, but then did a little more digging and said, actually, this is not a haunted house. Everyone and then Letzes went, oh, thank god, and they said, this is haunted land. The very land under this house is evil. It was built on Native American cemetery where they had some dark rituals in the past, and this is what led Ronald de Fayo to kill his whole family. So sorry to be the bear of bad tidings, but you guys are in bad trouble.
Speaker 2: Yeah. This is a one time seance that they held where they found all this stuff out and they actually one of the most famous photos of a ghost ever produced. It's called the ghost Boy photo from the Amityville House, came out of this investigation, this one night investigation the Warrens had. You've never seen the ghost Boy photo from Amityville. Go type that in and check it out. It is a creepy, really great, creepy, unsettling photo, especially if you compare it to John Defao. I think he was the youngest brother of the Dafeo's who were murdered by their the oldest brother. It looks an awful lot like him. So a lot of people are like, there you go. The Warrens had it figured out. There's a ghost, there's Indian burial ground is now a trope thanks to them, and we can thank them for poultry Geist as a result.
Speaker 1: That's right, I say we take a break, yeah, yeah, and we'll talk about three more of their more famous investigations right after this. This is fun, all right, we're back. I guess it's not too far past Halloween, so in our minds, you know, it's not early January, so we're sort of in that spooky mood. So this is sitting quite well with us. But we need to talk about the Infield haunting, because this is not in Connecticut, my friends. This is in London, England, in nineteen seventy seven, and Infield is a suburb of London and at the time one Peggy Hodgson and her daughters were what were they? They were terrorized by unseen forces just like the rest. They move into this place, banging sounds coming from the daughter's room. Peggy bursts in and sees this dresser creeping across the floor by itself, seemingly going toward the door. To block it, and Peggy was like, I got to get that dresser. It's out of control. But by the time she got to it, it was like it was glued. She couldn't even move this thing.
Speaker 2: No, this is the basis for The Conjuring two. Also a truly great ghost movie, especially for a sequel.
Speaker 1: And is this London?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean it's based on this. This is a very famous case that was also investigated by the Society for Psychical Research, which was founded all the way back in eighteen eighty two, seventy years before the Warrens founded their society. But they showed up because the Hodgson's, or i should say Peggy Hodgson, couldn't get any help from the police and she had basically reached the end of her rope because one of her daughter's Janet I think the youngest daughter was started falling into trances and apparently was possessed by a ghost named Bill Wilkins, who said that he had died in that same house, actually in a chair in the corner, and that he wanted everybody out because this was his house. And if you see that movie, it's really well done and super creepy.
Speaker 1: Have you seen all those movies.
Speaker 2: I have seen those two. Oh okay, the extent of it.
Speaker 1: How many are there? Good? God, I mean things are they conjured?
Speaker 2: So with the conjured, I think they're up to four maybe okay, But then there's a whole other like subfranchise with the Evil Nun. I think I've seen one of those.
Speaker 1: It's been off and stuff.
Speaker 2: And then the Annabelle stuff too, But I've only seen the first two conjurings, and they're good. They're good movies. They're hokey in a lot of ways. But yeah, as far like a good, decent, even mediocre ghost movie is so few and far between. There's so many terrible ones that, like, you know, I'll take whatever decent table scraps can be. Trust at me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I hear you, Okay, I'll check it out. So, like you said, the Society for Psychical Research, is that right? Cycical? Yeah, they come in. They're competitors of the Warren of course over there, I guess, and they observed, you know, all the stuff they were talking about, like things levitating, furniture moving of course, fires erupting out of nowhere, apparently, cups just filling up with water when there is no water around. Supposedly, one of the researchers had a curtain that was slowly creeping around his neck as if to choke him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is a skeptical society that believes in the possibility of ghosts and poulsitery guys and stuff. But they're not just credulous thing dongs.
Speaker 1: Oh that society, what are they? The psycho society are Yeah, okay, yeah, all right, well that's good. Ed and Lorraine maybe investigated, maybe didn't. This is where it gets a little dodgy, and we're going to talk about that in act three. But at any rate, in nineteen seventy eight, they said, you got a polter, guys, that's what the deal is. And you know New Line Cinema. You want to buy this story, we'll sell it to you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they did. There was a really cool documentary I saw where the so the spr made tons of audio tapes, real the real audio tapes of this, and somebody made a docu I guess a docudrama or whatever where they used the tapes as all of the audio and then they hired actors to act out the stuff and the dialogue was the tape. So these people had to lip sync with the tapes, and it was all done in period costumes and all that stuff from the seventies. It's really good. I can't remember the name of it, but I'm pretty sure that's the only the only documentary to attempt that. So if you can find that, watch it.
Speaker 1: Did you ever watch that Zoom Call horror movie that I recommended?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was pretty decent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not bad, huh. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was really uncomfortable when they started making light of it in front of the psychic medium. That was the thing that got me the most.
Speaker 1: It was, oh yeah, you know, yeah, plus you know that they're going to get it, you know, even worse because of that. What was it called, I think it was called host I thought it was very well done, you know, pretty clever COVID movie when you know they were shooting stuff in a as creatively as they could because of the restrictions.
Speaker 2: Yes, it was a good movie.
Speaker 1: All right, let's move on. We got a couple of more here, the case of Arnie Johnson, also in Connecticut, very conveniently located in Brookfield. This was in nineteen eighty one, and this one is interesting because there was a nineteen year old named Arnie Johnson who stabbed his landlord Alan Bono or Bono twenty times. And in his trial he says, I'm not guilty, and they said temporary insanity and they said no, no, no demonic possession. In the court went, oh boy, here we go.
Speaker 2: I think this is the first time anyone ever tried that. The reason he said that is because he said, I really am possessed by a demon. My fiance, Debbie, her little brother David, has been possessed by a demon for a while, and we had an exorcism. And during the exorcism, to help David out, I dared the demon to inhabit me instead. Well he did, and when I got into that argument with the landlord, that demon is the one who really stabbed him, not me. Was defense. But I think the Warrens showed up before all of this, before the stabbing even and they took a look at David and ed looks a little David up and down. It's like, yeah, you still got demons attached to you. You still got forty three demons, that's.
Speaker 1: Right, he counted them. That's why they had that exorcism. Is the Warrens came in and said because Initially they thought it was a ghost, you know, yeah, and they you know, the the Glatzels who that was Debbie's last name, the girlfriend they brought in clergy from the Catholic church to bless young David. That didn't work. So that's when the Warrens show up and they're like, no, it's demonic, it's not a ghost, and you need that exorcism. And during that exorcism is when Arnie Johnson's like, oh, yeah, come into me, I dare you right?
Speaker 2: And then the murder happens and they guy ends up in trial Arnie Johnson. I think he went by Cheyenne his middle name, and so the judge is like, I'm not even going to accept that as a defense. What else you got? And they're like self defense And they tried them on self defense and you got five years in prison for manslaughter. So I guess they believe that to an extent. That's not the end of that case. But that's a huge legendary case too. And then there was also there was a movie called The Haunting in Connecticut. It's awful and it was made kind of outside of the Warren's purview, but this was a case that's largely associated with them. That involved the Sneteker family.
Speaker 1: That's right. That was also very conveniently located in Southington, Connecticut, right there on Meriden Avenue. And this is a case where two people at Carmen Reed and Alan Snedeker, they got their kids, had four of them, and a niece. They brought them there to live because their son Philip needed nearby medical care, kind of long term medical care, and it made it more convenient, so they moved in there. They move in and of course things start going down. Philip, who was the young six son, start seeing a threatening young man with long dark hair who would just repeat his name over and over. And then Carmen, I believe was the mom, was in the basement and she was like, wait a minute. There are toe tags and there's embalming equipment here and photos of dead people. I wonder what this house used to be, and everyone said, duh, it was a funeral home.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Hallahan funeral home for decades, I think, pretty much right before it became a home for rent. And it turned out that Philip's room was once the display room for caskets when they sold you the caskets, you know, they have like half caskets on the wall, that kind of thing. This is where Philip was sleeping. The embalming room was just down the hall. The thing is Philip needing this constant care of treatments for Hodgkins lymphoma type of cancer. They couldn't move, they couldn't leave the house, so they had to kind of stick it out, and things just kept getting worse worse. Finally, Phillips started to change and became very violent and was I think forced forcibly taken to a mental hospital for observation and stayed there for a couple of months. I think it was finally diagnosed with schizophrenia. He moved out, he avoided the house again, and I don't remember if the haunting continued or not. But one of the big things that came out of this was an appearance and Sally Jesse Raphael. The title of the episode is I was Raped by a Ghost because Carmen said that she was repeatedly raped by a ghost and the niece was fondled by a ghost. And the Warrens also show up on that episode, and you can find it online. It's a Sally Esse Raphael episode for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you sent that to me, and I did my best to script through and hit the highs. Right, shall we take a break, Yeah, let's take a break, all right, We'll take a break and kind of up up with what's going on with the Warrens in all these cases right after this. M M.
Speaker 2: All right, chuck. So one of the things that gives the Warrens casework, I guess, credence in any quarter is that this is all based on some kernel of truth. Like Ronald Fayo did kill him his family in the Amityville house. That definitely happened before the Lutz has moved in the house in that the Snetecker's rented was the Hallahan funeral home before they showed up there, and there were like embalming tools still there left over. It turns out that a man name named Bill Wilkins did die in that house in Enfield in London, just exactly at the time that young Janet, who was apparently possessed by him, said that he had died in the same place that she said he had died too. So there's like all of this these different things that are just factual enough to kind of provide a basis that can then be kind of filled in with some fat, maybe a little muscle and sinew to make a full blown, like you know, haunting story.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And you know the Warrens, if you asked them back then, they would say, hey, we kept a lot of this evidence. They called it heart quote hard evidence in different you know, artifacts and things. A lot of this stuff was kept in the museum you know that they had at their house that they you could, you know, pay to go into and look over the stuff. Some of it was made public, some of it they held back, you know, they said some of the juiciest stuff they couldn't even show. Of course, and in nineteen ninety seven and finally the New England Skeptical Society said all right, let's uh, let's get together, let's talk this out. Let's look at this evidence that you've got. They brought out that Ghostboy photo. Of course, they had audio recordings that had these you know, strange sort of non languages or other worldly voices. That was the one I think in Infield with Bill Wilkins like. They trotted that out and played it. They had that Annabel doll. She shook that doll and said, look what do you call this? H She didn't shake it, of course, because it was stored under glass, right. And then they had you know, witnesses and personal accounts from people that you know, testified not in court obviously, but that all this stuff was you know, very real to them.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And so these scientists evaluated all of their evidence and their means and methods and motives, and they decided that it's all blarnie.
Speaker 1: They said, yes, their quote by the way, yeah Barney.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't really say blarney very often. I say malarkey, I guess because I did at the beginning, but this was I guess it was based on that quote. They said they're not doing good scientific investigation, which I think is generous to even assume that they're doing any scientific investigation, and that there's like they come along, they say it's a demon, and then everything that they kind of all the evidence they gather supports that hypothesis rather than gathering evidence and then coming up with a hypothesis from it. And they basically were like, none of this stuff is falsifiable, testable, Like, yes, there's a doll right there that they say is haunted, that's not evidence, right. Yeah, So they just basically said that it's all. They're just total frauds. And if you look at the history of the Warrens, this is not the first time that happened to him, It was not the last time that happened to them. They just rolled with it. It never slowed them down. They never seemed to freak out whenever they were called frauds or hucksters or grifters, like they just either just shook it off or they had some sort of response like Lorraine Warren had in response to that New England Skeptical Society nineteen ninety seven study.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she said, they don't base anything on a God.
Speaker 2: Right, So if you don't bring God into it and the idea that they're Roman Catholic god warriors fighting right evil incarnate on Earth helping families for free, then of course it's not going to make any sense to you egghead, pencilneck college boy scientists.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And you know, one of the biggest criticisms of their work and other work by other paranormal investigators because you know, a lot of these people use pretty questionable techniques at times. So it's not like the Warrens were any worse than a lot of them. But the fact that a lot of times you can trace this back to maybe somebody in that household has some sort of mental illness going on and they're being exploited.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the thing. Like you can be like, well, it's all in just in good fun, but there are actual problems with what they were doing, and that's one of them. And even if they weren't mentally ill, some of these families did believe that there was something going on and they were in some sort of crisis, and the Warrens would come in tell them they had some demons, maybe give it a shot, maybe solve things or not, and then go off and sell the family's story as their own case. Right. That's again how they made a lot of money was writing books and giving lectures based on these places where they just show up and then take over the story and insert themselves. That's harmful. I also saw that you can describe, at least in part, the satanic panic that came along in the eighties from them kind of normalizing the idea that people were out there getting possessed by forty three demons, getting raped by ghosts. That was a contribution they made. And then also especially these conjuring stories now if you watch them, Chuck, the Lorraine and Ed Warren are portrayed as this couple who have arguably the greatest marriage in the history of humans, and that they are just steam powered by God and that's what they're doing. They're battling evil here on earth. And so I think it kind of whips up like a little bit of potentially misplaced religious version of patriotism and people who are religious.
Speaker 1: Yeah, probably, So you know, we can now talk about some sort of maybe the claims against some of these cases. One of the claims was that the Warrens actually paid a guy named Ray Gorton to completely make up the Snedtecker haunting. They worked with an author, I mean, which is true. His name was Ray Gorton to write a book about that case called In a Dark Place Colon the Story of a True Haunting, and Gordon in two thousand and nine said that book was entirely fiction and there are grifters because I was interviewing this family and the stories didn't match up from person to person, and I took it to Ed and he said, quote, they're crazy. All the people who come to us are crazy. That's why they come to us. Just use what you can and make up the rest. Yeah. So that's one Snetecker case.
Speaker 2: That's one little piece of evidence. And this guy actually wrote the book and was paid by it. I don't, I don't. I don't think that he had much of an ax to grind right the Enfield House. It's not even clear that they investigated at all. The closest anyone's ever put them to this haunting was one of the Society for Psychical Research Investigators. Guy, I don't know if it's leon or lyon Playfair, he was one of the lead dudes. He said that that at the very least Ed showed up maybe for an hour or something, was hanging out outside I guess with them, and it was like, you know, you can make you can make some money off of this if you want to do some business, and I guess Playfair was like I don't, I don't do that, and so Ed was like all right, see you and took off and then again took the story as their own, Like if you watch The Conjuring two, they are basically the lynchpin to freeing this family from this torment.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, Amy Deville supposedly was a hoax. This all came out. Later in nineteen seventy nine, there was a lawsuit and the guy who shot up his family, Ronald Feo. His defense lawyer William Webber, said that he and the Lutz family made it all up one night over a quote several bottles of wine, and the Lutzes kind of came out and said, yeah, that's pretty much what happened, and Ed and Lorraine Wore were like, no, that's not what happened, right.
Speaker 2: I think Lorraine had a quote during this seance. So they met George Lutz once when he handed off the keys for them to go have a seance. They didn't never meet Kathy. They never walked around the house or worked with them. They had a one night seance where that ghostboy photo was produced, which must have been just jackpot luck for them because it looks a lot like John Defayo in the face. But John to Fayo is also wearing the exact same shirt that an assistant named Paul Bart who was there that night, was wearing. People are like, well, he's probably taking a measurement or working on equipment, kneeling down, and it just happened that his photo was taken. But the idea that they had much, if anything, to do with Amityville is incorrect, except for all the lore they made up, like the Indian burial ground. As far as I know, they came up with that, even though they got the trybrowng So the whole idea of Amityville being as off the chain as it was came largely from them, but also from the Lutz's story. They helped publicize it big time.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I looked up that house. It's been bought and sold quite a bit over the years. But someone eventually changed those two upper windows. Yeah, that I don't know, just kind of looked creepy like eyes, I guess, But now they're just regular windows.
Speaker 2: I saw that the old Arnold estate that was in conjuring one somebody bought it in like after the first conjuring came out for like half a million dollars and then pumped up the idea that it was still haunted and sold it for a million and a half like two years later.
Speaker 1: It's another in demand haunted houses pretty much. Yes, that's interesting.
Speaker 2: One of the biggest things that came out. Also, just one really one thing before we go on. I would direct anybody who's into that first Conjuring and knows all about that house. To go read a blog called Dreaming Casually. A historian Jamie Rubio really looked into Bethsheba Sherman in her history and apparently it is all made up to the point where she's essentially a slandered two hundred year old person. Go read that. But I think probably the biggest knock that the Warrens got came in twenty seventeen, long after they were international global stars thanks to the Conjuring series, and a woman named Judith Penny came forward and said, Ed Warren and I had a sexual relationship starting when I was fifteen, and Lorraine knew all about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like she moved into the house and supposedly had a forty year relationship, and like you said, Lorraine was okay with it. I think they had a you know, a business going. Penny said that she was impregnated by Ed and Lorraine pressured her to have an abortion because that would hurt the business, the family business. And this is a big sort of red flag here. The Hollywood reporter said that when Lorraine, because they got a bunch of money to consult on TV and movies, over the years, I think, you know, we've kind of made that clear. But Lorraine specifically had a deal to consult on the conjuring, and she barred new Line from showing Ed and Lorraine being as anything other than what you said, like this sort of perfect couple. Specifically, it said no criminal offenses, no sex with minors, no child pornography, prostitution or sexual assault, or depicted as participating in an extramarital sexual relationship. And just just so people know, this is not sort of an normal kind of thing, even in Hollywood when they're doing these big contracts about you know, supposedly true stories, to include all that very specific stuff is not normal.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I was reading that as well. So that's a little odd, especially when you combine it with Judith Penny's.
Speaker 1: Story that sounds totally true.
Speaker 2: But yeah, and again coming forward in twenty seventeen, it's not like the moment the first conjuring came out, she's like, give me some money, Like she seemed to have a pretty I think she actually testified in an affidavit that all of this was true too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that's.
Speaker 2: Tarnished their legacy a little bit, especially if peop if you already thought they were grifters or hucksters or something like that. It's not entirely clear whether they believed any of the claims that they made. If they didn't, then Lorraine Warren was one of the great character actors of all time who never broke character, at least in front of anyone who is willing to come forward. And she died I think in twenty nineteen, long after the Conjuring had become huge. Ed died, I think sadly. The last movie he got to see was The Haunting in Connecticut. He died in two thousand and six. So they're both gone now. But the New England Society for Psychic Research, which again they found it in nineteen fifty two, it's still going on under their son in law, Tony Spira, to whom quote all of their knowledge and experience has been successfully passed.
Speaker 1: That's right, And at that annabel Doll is still around. You know, I don't think they have that museum anymore. That closed in twenty nineteen when Lorraine passed away, but Annabelle will show up here and there on tours and special events.
Speaker 2: Yes, but they had a really cool museum from what I can tell. But it's shut down inexplicably, it's not open anymore, and there doesn't seem to be any plans to open it again. Yeah, but there's a new conjuring movie out I think class really. Yeah, it's based on a case that we didn't talk about, but there was sexual abuse by demons as well. It was also in the eighties, so that was their big thing. Then.
Speaker 1: Who wants to see that?
Speaker 2: A lot of millions and millions and millions of people around the world.
Speaker 1: Are they still super popular?
Speaker 2: Oh yes, and supposedly this one is like their last one, but they hand the reins over to their son in law, Tony Sparrow, so he might become the new leader of the franchise along with their daughter Judy.
Speaker 1: Amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's basically like the new Marvel. Yeah, well, Chuck said, yeah everybody, which means, in old school fashion, it's time for listener mail.
Speaker 1: Yeah. This is just a quickie correction. Hey guys, I'm listening now. And you might have heard this already, but Chuck was right in pronouncing villa. Oh hi, double Chuck. The double L sounds that Josh is talking about is Spanish, not Italian.
Speaker 2: Well, that's what I was saying, that.
Speaker 1: Is really Christina in New York?
Speaker 2: Who is it? Huh?
Speaker 1: Who loves listening?
Speaker 2: Thanks a lot, Christina, we appreciate that. I think a few people wrote in to say, yeah, Chuck was right, that's fine.
Speaker 1: This is the only one I saw.
Speaker 2: I'm happy. I'm happy for you, Chuck. Are you happy for me for being happy for you?
Speaker 1: Sure?
Speaker 2: Okay. If you want to get in touch with us, like Christina did, you can send us an email as well. Send it off to stuff podcast at iHeartRadio dot com.
Speaker 1: Stuff you Should Know is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts my heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.