Speaker 1: If you have your own story of being in a cult or a high control group.
Speaker 2: Or if you've had experience with manipulation or abusive power that you'd like to share.
Speaker 1: Leave us a message on our hotline number at three four seven eight six trust.
Speaker 2: That's three four seven eight six eight seven eight seven eight.
Speaker 1: Or showed us an email at trustmepod at gmail dot com.
Speaker 2: Trust me.
Speaker 1: Trust Me.
Speaker 3: I'm like a swat person I've never lived to you never.
Speaker 2: Live if you think that one person has all the answers.
Speaker 1: Don't welcome to Trust Me. The podcast about cults, extreme belief and manipulation from two former cult members who've actually experienced it. I'm Megan Elizabeth Lola isn't here for the intro today, but she's part of this incredible interview, So let's jump into part two with former Heaven's Gate member Frank Lloyd. We'll discuss the growing number of red flags Frank began to notice after one of the leaders died, including talk of castration and what led to his decision to finally, after eighteen years, breakaway. Also, he shares the heartbreaking story of how he first heard about the mass suicide on the news. The Lessons he's learned as a result and what his life is like now. Our heart really goes out to anybody affected by the Los Angeles fires. So Lola and I are fine, We are safe, but yeah, just a lot of grief and stuff too move through. So thank you everybody who reached out. And without further ado, let's speak to Frank.
Speaker 2: So we left off last week with Frank telling us about how he had been in the group for a long time at this point and Tea one of the two leaders. It was Tea and Doe, and Tea was the woman and Doe was the man who you've probably seen in the videos that they made. Tea died of cancer and this was totally against their plans. They were going to be taken up into space while they were still alive. So things started really changing with Doe. He started getting more controlling, he started getting more obsessive, and basically he started talking about suicide. So that's where we left off last week, and we'll catch up with him now he's passing.
Speaker 3: In that way had a huge impact on doees thinking about how the graduation would occur, and that worked on him over the coming months and years to the point where he began to entertain ideas of how we might do our vehicles in which was entirely diametrically posed to the way it was originally presented.
Speaker 2: How was it originally presented?
Speaker 3: We will be taken up in a craft while we're conscious, we will ascend while conscious and alive.
Speaker 2: But now t has died, so there must he's got to find a way to reshape the narrative.
Speaker 3: Right, And as Sawyer mentioned, he talked about how he came across a book about how to take one's life and he was shocked. Yeah, he found it cleaning up those quarters one time, and that queued him into the fact that Doe was considering how we might leave by taking your lives. That happened shortly after Tea passed on.
Speaker 2: What did you think about that?
Speaker 3: It was a huge red flag for me, but I suppressed it. I couldn't bring it up. I couldn't talk to anybody about it because it would have been at least I thought it would have been seen as doubting my older member. But there were other red legs like that. I mean one thing. In April of nineteen ninety three, a branch Davidiant caught fire in Waco, Texas, and that made a huge impression on Dough. That got him thinking about how maybe we should learn to fire firearms and that would stimulate our own demise. And you know, that was a huge red leg for me, like, oh yeah, like that's gonna work really well, isn't it.
Speaker 2: As In, like, if you had guns, a standoff with the police would happen and they would kill you, right right.
Speaker 3: But not necessarily a standoff. Simply the fact that we had guns would cause an altercation that would end up taking our lives. But I think they decided that would be too messy. This was after I left. They decided not to do that. But Waco happened in April of ninety three and I left in August.
Speaker 2: What can you talk to us about the time when you and Erica both go back to Calgary and visit your families.
Speaker 3: I think that's after Tea's passing, probably like around September eighty five, since both their families were in Calgary, Dough decided we could be each other's check partners.
Speaker 2: Why were you allowed to go home?
Speaker 3: This was the second visit I believe, back to visit our families, And the reason that that came up was because a mother of one of the members had been in com Intact had somehow been making contacts with different X members and gathering information about us, you know, trying to locate her son. She was also making contact with other members who are still in the group their families. She started putting out a newsletter every month or two Goodness, and they would all receive news and updates through this network. My parents were in the network, and Erica's parents were in the network. So the visits to families were designed to allay our family's fears about what we were doing, that we weren't in danger, and you know, we weren't up to no good and we were healthy and happy, and that was what it was designed to do. So one visit was before Tea passed on, and the other visit was afterwards. So we were going to travel together. Traveled back to Calgary and we had a layover in Salt Lake City, so we were sitting in the secluded area of the airport. There was not much activity, and I felt this overwhelming feeling of love for Erica that I hadn't allowed myself to feel even though we lived in the same house. I would always suppress bit in the routines of everyday life. Plus being surrounded by other group members, of their class members, was like any feeling like that got drowned out amongst the vibrational, energetic chatter of our everyday life. So being alone with her, none of those intervening influences had a chance to suppress that. So I reached over and I gave her a hug. And I think they may have misquoted me or something. I've done several documentaries. But what happened was she quickly said as I hugged her that she had asked though if she could hug me, and he had said yes. I never had the foresight to ask hug her, and I never thought that I would never considered it. But I mean that to me illustrates the level of conditioning of the group that Erica would have the foresight to ask if it was okay to give me.
Speaker 2: A hug, just to have a hug. Yeah. Wow, What did it feel like that hug?
Speaker 3: Well, it was it was like the flood of everything that I had suppressed towards her came rushing up and it was intense. This was in my mind, but I didn't have the courage to express it. But if she had said to me, let's stop doing this, less runaway, let's not do this anymore, I would have said, definitely, yes, I agree, Les, let's quit it. It's silly. But I was of two minds. I had the conditioning of the group, so did she, So I didn't let myself express that. I didn't think she would be amenable to it anyway. She probably wouldn't have been.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what a moment. Yeah, gosh, that's still in the eighties, right.
Speaker 3: I think this was eighty five eight.
Speaker 2: More years you were in You told a story in the documentary of insulting your masculinity that have been.
Speaker 3: Shortly after Tea passed on. The goal was always to let go of our masculinity, let go of our femininity, to be in the middle, to be androgynous, because members of the kingdom level of human are androgenous. They have no sexuality, they have no mammalian behavior. So this particular morning we were meeting in the morning, I was at the front. Everyone was seated in semicircles around him, and I raised my hand to ask a question or maybe to in our reservation. I don't remember what it was, but I spoke up, and it was shortly after we had gotten up, so my voice was a little bit husky, It had a morning huskiness to it. And those response was not to reply to me, but to mimic my voice in a what's the word like mocking or well I was mocking, but in a way to emphasize the deepness of the voice to convey a point to me. And my response was to feel extremely humiliated, yeah, and feel this smoldering resentment and anger within me that I couldn't express because to do so it would have been to question him, to disrespect him as our teacher, as our leader. So I had this tremendous internal conflict going on that I couldn't express in any way. You know, if I were to have had a free feeling, like I could have free expression of what I was feeling and thinking, I would have. Oh, I would have used some explicits. Probably how the f dare you put me down? And this way? You know, you say you're a leader, you put yourself up there from the class as a teacher, as somebody having wisdom that you're trying to impart to us, and yet you do this behavior of mocking and putting down. But I couldn't. I couldn't say that, so I stuffed that emotion. My understanding of that now is that when we suppress our emotion, when we stuff away emotion that's unprocessed, it ends up residing energetically in our bodies. It resides energetically in our cellular structure and in our oric field, and it can eventually turn into disease if we don't allow it to express and we don't allow ourselves to process it anyway. That's a tangent. But over the course of the next few weeks, I gradually developed a stutter and inability to really speak clearly and fluently. Was as if this energetic suppression was itself being expressed as the inability to express my own thoughts freely. And I still have the residual of that. I haven't freed myself from it completely, much better than I have been. But that's another illustration of the dynamic of cult leader over cult member. Wow to me, looking back, the result of Tea's passing had a detrimental effect on Dough. He became more controlling, He became more ocd, probably out of insecurity of being left with guiding the class on his own regardless, That's what I saw, what I experienced. The episode of him making fun of my voice to me was an example of that stepping back for a second looking at it as a life coach, because I'm a life coach right now, and as a life coach without compassion, it would be a terrible life coach. Without empathy, I would be a terrible life coach. Without active intuition, it would be a terrible life coach. And to me, in the exchange that we had that day with Oh, he lacked intuitive awareness, he lacked empathy, he lacked compassion.
Speaker 2: Can you tell us about the final straw?
Speaker 3: Well, I mentioned there were some red legs coming up along the way toward the end was the idea of learning to fire firearms. There's another one as well. They were first beginning to talk about in nineteen ninety three, and that was the idea of getting castrated. The men getting castrated right because of the sexual impulses that they wanted to lessen. They thought that would help. And that was a red flag to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, were you still in the group when they began or no?
Speaker 3: Well, apparently I was, but I didn't know because they didn't tell us that was when the first.
Speaker 1: One took place, and that was there was only one correct.
Speaker 3: No, there was one, and then ultimately I think there were six or seven. Wow, man who had castrations.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: There was one guy who went first, what was his name, cerroty Previdy.
Speaker 2: That was really sad. I know, it broke my heart, and then the other people following, and actually Doe was also frustrated, right correct, Yeah, wow, so so heartbreaking. You're like every little piece of identity is just stripped away from all of you, just every single possible thing right down to your sex. I mean, gosh, it's a miracle that you were able to break away.
Speaker 3: That last year that I was in the group I worked. I mentioned I worked for Microsoft, and that got me interested in software. I started out as a receptionist, but I learned to use Microsoft Excel. That was their brand new spreadsheet program that Microsoft came out with. So I worked for Microsoft for two years in the Dallas sales office. My boss, who is the regional sales manager for the Southern Region, was being promoted to national sales manager for Microsoft, and he had asked me to go with him as his assistant. Of course, I couldn't. I was in the.
Speaker 1: Culton that I'll do it.
Speaker 3: But here's the thing. If I had gone, they were offering stock options at that point, so I would have been a millionaire.
Speaker 2: Oh Frank, don't break my heart. Oh my god.
Speaker 3: So anyway back to the year before I left. The year before that year, I worked for this fellow in Phoenix who was this software business owner, and he hired me to kind of help get his head above water, I found out later because he was drowning. His customers were not pleased, so he wanted to hire me to help get things back on track with his customers. He was a terrible, terrible customer service. So I worked for him for a year until I had enough and it was time for me to get ato the job. Doe said, yeah, go ahead, good, done the job. So I did. I got another job with one of his competitors, that fellow who's terrible customer service. I got a job with the woman who was also in the same business and had been getting a lot of his customers, and now she got one of his developers. She was a really good boss to work for. So think of this juxtaposition. Now I work for this woman, I was her first full time employee. She treated me really, really well. We designed software together. She gave me full rein on how I wrote the software. When we had happy customers, which was virtually all the time, she gave me full credit for those happy customers. So I was treated really well. And you know, my creative uses could flow in this software business, whereas going back to the class at night on the weekends, there's no uniqueness, no creativity allowed. You totally line you follow procedures. You know, Doe's view of perfection was the Star Trek civilization known as the Borg. I know, if you watched Star Trek, you will be assimilated and resistance is feudal and you're part of the machine and you're a cog in the wheel. So working for this woman made life bearable, right even though I suppressed the fact that it wasn't bearable, The fact that I needed that, you know, the fact that that made it bearable should have been a blaring message to me, but it wasn't. So then at the end of August it was time to move again. We would move every year or two, so we were moving to San Diego. So I thought, okay, no big deal. I've quit my job plenty of times before. We just go to the new place and get a new job, no big deal. On the drive between Phoenix San Diego, I started having this feeling in the pit of my stomach. I just can't be here anymore. I didn't intellectually understand that it was just this gnawing feeling that I couldn't ignore, you know. So I had a check partner with me in the car, and I talked to her about this, and she suggested that I speak with Doe when we got to San Diego. So I did, and he said, okay, we I'll sleep on it and I'll talk to you in the morning. I slept on it still felt the same way in the morning, and then he said, okay, well, let's have an eating A little while later, they called me upstairs to Doe's quarters and there were four other classmates there with Doe. Four of his trusted helpers, of which Sawyer was one. Sir Odie, who had the first castration, was in and then Live Odie and Jane Odi, who were the two who helped Doe with tea before she passed on, and they were there kind of as a buffer like I was at one end of a work table, and I was at the other and the other four were on the long end as a buffer between Doe and me. It was kind of like an intervention to talk some sense into me. He took a couple of different approaches. First, he said, well, you haven't done anything to make me displeased with your behavior or anything. You're a good student. There's no reason for you to leave. And I just kept turning to this gut knowing I couldn't ignore, or I knew I had to follow it no matter where it took me at and even the gut knowing went against my mental conditioning h but I had no choice but to follow this. So Dough changed his approach a little bit, bringing up the thought that, well, you know that the world will be plowed under when we leave, and you know you will lose your life along with all of the others as the civilization is plowed under. They thought of the earth as a garden for souls, and periodically the garden gets plowed under with each new season. So that was the analogy. And because this crop of souls had resulted in so few coming into this classroom circumstance with ten do the crop was bad. So that meant the crop had to be plowed under. The civilization had to be plowed under through earth changes like earthquakes or the switch of the Earth's sacks, this resulting in huge earth changes. That's what they thought. And it didn't matter to me what he said, whatever he said, I just kept returning to this gut knowing said up, sorry, no matter where this leads me, even though I'm plowed under whatever, I have to follow this gut knowing. So he said, okay, well, we'll get you a double bag packed up, and we'll give you one thousand bucks, and you can get a bus ticket or a plane ticket wherever you want to go, and we'll take you. And that'll be that. It's not like they wanted me there against my will, because that would have been disruptive to everyone else's focus.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's actually very surprising. I feel like generally the stories are, you know, kind of trying to bully people into staying right. In nineteen ninety seven, the remaining members of Heaven's Gate have their exit planned. They believe that there's a flying saucer hiding behind the Hailbop comet, and they believe they're going to teleport to it. So thirty nine people commit suicide together and Rancho Santa Fe, California by taking apple sauce or putting the lace with the deadly drug. And it's, you know, just such a tragedy. How did you find out and how did you feel?
Speaker 3: Well? I was living in white Rock, British Columbia, which is right by the border, and I was working in Bellingham, Washington, So I lived in Canada, worked in the US, and I was coming home from work at night and I heard a radio report on the news as I was driving home. It said that a group of all male monks had been found in San Diego to have committed suicide. You know, it was a breaking story at that point, and I knew it was. Chills ran up and down my spy and I knew it was then. And then the story developed over the next few days and came out that day. The police thought that they were all male because they all have the same haircut. I appeared on the Larry King Live TV program news program. This was April first, so it was my April for Fools joke. I was on, Sawyer was on, and another fellow who was an ex member who had left before I had left. Was also on all three of us were ex members. They flew me from Bellingham to Seattle for the satellite uplink, so there was a clip in the HBO documentary of me with the long hair, and that was from Larry King Live. So from that the local newspapers started calling me. My phone didn't stop ringing. I didn't want to give any local interviews. I was heartbroken, and yet even at that point, after having been out of the group for three and a half years, I felt like they had the right to live their life as they wanted, and they had the right to take their lives as they saw a fit. I wrote a letter to all of my coworkers in the company where I worked because they I was aware several people had seen the Larry King Live episode, so I wanted to stem the tide of the rumor mill and just let people know what was going on it. I lost many, many friends who I shared a great deal with, not just my cousin, not just my ex girlfriend. That I was heartbroken, I can imagine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and your last conversation with Erica was when you.
Speaker 3: Were leaving, right It was two days after I left, So she had called me at my parents. I was staying with my parents in Calgary because that's where I went when I left the group. And you know, I knew she would have had somebody else on the line, a check partner on the other extension while she was talking to me. But she implored me to come back to the group, repeating some of the things that Doe had said of you know, there's no reason for you to be out there. You belong here. I have no way of knowing whether or not Erica had suggested to Doe that she called me, or if Doe had suggested to Erica that she called me, But through much of that conversation, Erica was weeping. She was emotionally upset that I had left. And because Erica wasn't in San Diego when I left, we drove to San Diego in three shifts, and eric was back in Phoenix cleaning the house and getting it ready to relinquish to the renters. So I left without saying goodbye to her. I'm sure that was tough for her. But one thing I said to her was I need to stay out here for a while. I need to follow this gut knowing, and I feel like it would be really helpful if you spent time outside the colt as well. I didn't call it a call outside the group. She didn't say anything, and I don't know if she would have wanted to say anything, but she would have known that that would have been heard by the person on the other line, right. But the conversation lasted about three minutes and that was it. We said goodbye. Wow. That was the last time I spoke with her. Wow.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm just so sorry that you lost so many people that you love. Must have been really hard.
Speaker 3: Can we talk about that? Yeah? I want to talk about it on two different levels, yes, please. One is it's the level of heartbreak, you know, the human experience of loss. I experienced that in a real way, and I didn't expect now to get emotional about it, but obviously it still impacts me. But the other thing that I realize is, and I'm not expecting others to buy into this, but my view of life is that we do live succeeding lives. Reincarnation is a real thing. In between incarnations. There's what's called this pre birth planning, in which I and my sole group map out what I want to experience in my life and who will play different parts in that lifetime and what part I will play in my lifetime in others lives. There's a working together to determine how we will experience the lessons we want to learn at the sole level during that life. So with that as background, if that is a real thing, if that pre birth planning is a real thing, I and every member of the Heaven's Gate Cult planned their participation in the cult, including the option to leave or to stay to the end and take their lives in suicide, because of the lessons that they wanted to learn, and it extends even to their family members experiencing the loss of them the lessons they wanted to learn at the soul level through that loss.
Speaker 2: What do you think your lesson was?
Speaker 3: One of my biggest lessons through all of this is to trust my inner knowing above everything else. Follow that knowing no matter what anything outside is telling me, in the face of any onslaught of conditioning or peer pressure or societal norms, follow what I know. It's like the God connection within me. It's not my mind, it's my heart and my gut knowing. You know that our heart has a much larger energy field than our brain, and our heart has lures the heart poetically time after their poems that talk about the knowing of the heart, and it's true, the heart has tremendous knowledge. Their hearts are connected to every other heart. That's how we are all one us through our heart.
Speaker 2: Well, I think that that's a beautiful lesson me too.
Speaker 1: Who what a story?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, how are you doing? Now? How's your life?
Speaker 3: Well? My life is perfectly imperfect. I started van life in August of twenty nineteen.
Speaker 2: Do you live in the van? Are you traveling around?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: What's your setup like?
Speaker 3: Well, it's not a big van, but it's got everything I need. I have a seven gallon freshwater tank and a seven gallon greywater tank and a submersible pump, so I have running water, running cold water. My mother's gift to me through her passing in twenty eighteen. What's this van? Through her inheritance, I could buy this ban So, thank you mother.
Speaker 2: So now you get to be adventurous and do whatever you want and follow your heart exactly. That's awesome. Well, man, I can't thank you enough for talking to us. This has been really just wonderful.
Speaker 1: Tuly, thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Is there anything you'd like to say or mention or shout out.
Speaker 3: Well, I have mentioned to many people that I was writing a book. I started the book in twenty fifteen, and the book has kind of languished over the last several months.
Speaker 2: Well, we're all languishing over the last several months, let's be honest.
Speaker 3: But I would like to get it out and get it published. I have a publisher that I really like lined up. I just need to get it done. It's about halfway done. I'm a little bit overwhelmed by it.
Speaker 2: Writing is a challenge. I really feel you there by day, bird by bird?
Speaker 1: What's that a Lamont book? Bird by bird?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: Just sentenced by sentence?
Speaker 2: Yeah, just as much as you can handle every day. But I have faith in you, and I absolutely want to buy your book, So you have to finish it.
Speaker 1: Amen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I got to get it at the door and my purpose he agrees. I just need to get the freaking thing out of the door.
Speaker 2: So that's how I feel about my script. Awesome. Well, do you have any social media?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm on Facebook. You can just search for my name Frank leiferd Lyford. I'm on Instagram. I have a website. It's called Facilitating You LETTERU dot com.
Speaker 2: Well, thanks again so much, Frank, you welcome.
Speaker 3: I've enjoyed talking to you both.
Speaker 1: I really will never get over the openness and vulnerability with which Frank is able to speak about the story that happened to him. So once again, thank you to Frank for being our guest. Everybody in Los Angeles, stay safe out there. Our hearts are with you and we will see you well here next week. Remember to follow your gut look out for red flags. I never ever trust by.
Speaker 2: Trust Me as produced by Kirsten Woodward, Gabby Rapp and Steve Delemator.
Speaker 1: With special thanks to Stacy Para.
Speaker 2: And our theme song was composed by Holly amber Church.
Speaker 1: You can find us on Instagram at trust Me Podcast, Twitter at trust Me Cult Pod, or on TikTok at trust Me Cult Podcast.
Speaker 2: I'm Oola Lola on Instagram and Ola Lola on Twitter.
Speaker 1: And I am Megan Elizabeth eleven on Instagram and Babraham Hicks on Twitter.
Speaker 2: Remember to rate and review and spread the word