Speaker 1: So Villa Ridiculous Historians. As you know, nobody fact checked this. We used to be witches and witch hunters before we started podcasting.
Speaker 2: That's how we met. Yeah, we're a regular van helsing. Between the two of us, we create one whole van helsing exactly.
Speaker 1: Yes, this is a classic episode as we're moving toward the autumnal Halloween season that we wanted to share with you. It is about one of the most famous books about hunting witches.
Speaker 2: And as you might imagine, it has an incredible name, the Malleus Mela.
Speaker 1: Fakara, The Hammer of the Witches. Hell.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's get to it.
Speaker 1: Ridiculous History is a production of iHeartRadio. Let's cut straight to the chase with some fairly terrifying numbers. During the early modern period of European history that stretches from around fourteen fifty to seventeen fifty, somewhere in the neighborhood of one hundred thousand people, the overwhelming majority of them being women, were tried for the crime of witchcraft, and about half of these folks fifty thousand, were executed, usually by being burned alive. But why man, why Because they were suspected of being witches nol Ah.
Speaker 2: Yes, the great witch panic of those years you mentioned.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the great three hundred year witch panic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that I was a big one.
Speaker 1: That's a big one. That was a big one.
Speaker 2: It was. That's why it's the great witch panic. And with the mediocre, the other lesser witch panic.
Speaker 1: Hey, let's give a shout out to our super producer, Casey Pegram, who, too our knowledge, has never in fact hunted witches. That's true, right, Casey, that is correct.
Speaker 2: Yes, no witch hunting in my past, Casey on the case that's good. That's good to know because it's not a very noble pursuit. No. Yeah, we read about it in history, some of the most famous ones being like the Salem witch Trials, the one that was famously depicted in The Crucible, the play by Arthur Miller, and it typically involves a bunch of over zealous religious nuts looking for something that just is not there.
Speaker 1: Right. It's strange because I had studied this in the past. There's a book I want to recommend called The Devil in the Shape of a Woman. Witchcraft in colonial New England, and one of the most interesting things about the witch hunting hysteria and the practice that continued for so long in Central Europe, well most of Europe, and in the colonial US or what would become the US, is that in many cases there were people who genuinely believe that some occult or supernatural event was occurring. But there were also people who were prosecuting these cases out of a more cynical self interested motivation, because you see, if you could prove that someone was a witch in a lot of jurisdictions, their belongings and their estate would.
Speaker 2: Later go to you. I did not know that, ben.
Speaker 1: So its a way to disenfranchise women.
Speaker 2: Oh not only disenfranchised women, it was a way to persecute women for their sexuality. And a lot of the language in the book we're going to talk about today, the Melias Maleficarum, revolves around women being temptresses in some way or some how using their sexuality to lure men to be tools of Satan, in some way making them more open to Satanic influence. So it's in large part a way of punishing women for their sexuality because a lot of these men were either used to just controlling women in the form of a wife or in the form of being some sort of higher up in a community and having expecting to be kowtowed too at all times members of the opposite sex in any sense that a woman had some kind of power that they could not understand it and maybe made them uncomfortable, they wanted to kind of squash it.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, absolutely, and not even kind of. They definitively wanted this status quo he had established to remain the same. The crime of witchcraft, as it was defined during this period of time, consisted of two main sort of branches. The first was the obvious one, the practice of harmful magic, using some sort of mysterious other worldly power to bring misfortune on other people in your community. This could be the infliction of a disease. Everybody gets sick. Let's blame that a elderly person who lives alone over by the edge of the woods. It could be the death of human beings or livestock. It could also often going back to your note about sexuality, knowal, it could be the crime of making men sexually impotent, and so they're like, oh, I can't get aroused anymore. You know what, It's not me, It's that elderly person who lives alone on the other side of town.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but didn't have to be elderly at all. Right, it could be anyone.
Speaker 1: It could be anyone. And these these hunts were incredibly extensive at times. In Germany. In fifteen eighty nine, in a place named Kuedlenburg, one hundred and thirty three women were executed in one day and there was a witch hunt fifteen eighty five. Germany is very bad about this. That left two German villages we get this, only one female resident each.
Speaker 2: It's insane.
Speaker 1: So that's the that's the context we want to lay out here. This stuff was tragic, horrific, and looking back from our time in the modern day, it could seem like some sort of group insanity. But we have to remember the people who were prosecuting these cases didn't just believe that they were acting logically. They wanted to, I guess, formalize this, and that leads us to the book you mentioned, Noel. The proper name is what malleus maleficarum, that's right, and also known as the hammer of the witches.
Speaker 2: Or in German. I love this, de hexin hamma. There we go, de hexinama hexa.
Speaker 1: So what is this?
Speaker 2: It is, as you said, ben a codify book of all of these things that we just mentioned. Okay, so the writers of this book didn't just invent this stuff out of whole cloth. It was kind of in the zeitgeist already. Witches do exist in the Bible, right, I mean this idea of black magic or of you know, Antichrist, sort of some kind of anti god entity.
Speaker 1: Right, sorcery as an infernal power?
Speaker 2: Exactly? Is the word witch in the Bible?
Speaker 1: Ben It's a fascinating question, no, because there are various kinds of things that we call witchcraft and divination in the in the Hebrew Bible, and it's generally mentioned in a disapproving tone. But the problem that we run into is a problem of translation, because somebody might translate something that just says like sorcery or soothsaying into witchcraft.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I've got one here from Leviticus nineteen thirty one that uses the word spiritists. It says, do not turn to mediums or seek out spiritists, for you will be defiled by them. I am the Lord your God. Or from Chronicles thirty three six, he sacrificed his children in the valley of ben Hennon practiced divination and witchcraft sought omens and consulted mediums and spiritists. He did much evil in the eyes of the Lord, arousing his anger. So to your point, been translation, but very interesting to google this and see, Yes, witchcraft is in that form in the Bible in such ways.
Speaker 1: If not the W word itself, the privuses, yeah, the tone like Galatians five nineteen mentions it. It's there are several places where you can find Bible verses about witchcraft. But to your point, Noel, which I think is a very important point, the authors of this book, who are understood to be two Dominicans, a guy named Johann Sprenger and a guy named Heinrich Kramer, they weren't just saying, let's give people our pace of witches. They were pulling, as you said, from a tradition and a system of beliefs that it existed long before them. The book, or the document as some people prefer to call it, was written around fourteen eighty six, and when they were writing it, they were essentially compiling all these other things into sort of a one stop shop.
Speaker 2: But not without their own editorializing. Right, That's a big part of it, because this guy, Heinrich Kramer, was sort of like a failed witch hunter, and he never really got the respect that he felt he was due and was kind of a bitter man, and decided he wanted to spread the word and kind of get people thinking about these things that were very dear to him, persecuting potentially wicked women for whatever reason. You know, he wanted to influence that and kind of have his say on how people were going to look at this, and he put all this in a book along with his partner Jacob Spranger. M hmm.
Speaker 1: That's correct. And there's an interesting part of Kramer's motivation that we have to examine here. You know how some unscrupulous people on a get rich quick scheme will self publish a book on Amazon and then use that book as sort of a bona fide or a mark of their own credibility, totally expertise, Like, you know, the best way to become a self help expert is just to write a book that purports to teach people to help themselves. Kramer also wanted, in addition to warning the general public, or at least the literate public, against the danger of witchcraft, he also wanted this book to give him the official authority to hunt witches. And again, this guy has somewhat of a myopic focus, but it also has some alarmist nature to it. It doesn't. Over the what two hundred and fifty six pages, it attempts to do several things. First, it wants to prove that witches and witchcraft are real. Don't be deceived, they are real. They are out to get you. Second, building from that and says these witches are real, they are infernal, they work with demonic forces, so therefore they must be killed. And then third, it wants to convince readers that not only are witches real, not only are they dangerous, but they are signed of the apocalypse, the end of the world.
Speaker 2: And it does a really interesting thing that creates a real conundrum for when these witch trials start going completely bonkers. It points out that the Bible says there are witches. Therefore, if you don't believe in witches, you are an accessory to their evil crimes. Yeah, similar to that old Edmund Burke quote the only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing, only even further right, Because this is literally saying if you think it means you know, if you're standing up for the truth and saying that this is not real, this there is no witchcraft, or this person definitely is not a witch. Then they can accuse you of being a heretic yourself simply for not believing what you're supposed to believe.
Speaker 1: If you're not with us, you're against this, totally against us.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So if we divide the book, we talked about kind of three aims of the book, we can also divide the work into three rough sections. The first is, as we said, this explanation that witches are real, they are dangerous. The second is a guide for the experts the clergy on how to recognize a witch, and they get pretty specific, you know, like devil's marks, which could be anything from a mole to a scar, right certain types of behavior or things that occur in their communities. And then the third part, the final part, is a legal manual for how to properly accuse and persecute a witch and if finding them guilty spoiler alert, very few people were found innocent to give them the death penalty. And in the work, there's a really interesting bit of double think here because the authors say that you shouldn't be deceived if someone appears to be weak, they say, in fact, the weak people are the most dangerous witches. And what this meant is that a lot of times people who lived on the fringes of society because they were say mentally ill, or they were very poor, they became the number one targets. And then also we have to face the facts. I'm pulling some of this from a really excellent podcast called fifteen Minute History, with an episode on witch hunting in Europe. The guests on this episode is guy named John E. Green, professor in history at the University of Texas and Austin, and he points out that a lot of times persecuting witches made things even worse for the community because people who would be considered witches would be like medical practitioners literally the only healthcare in the village or in the town, or midwives and you know, let's say a birth goes wrong through no fault of the midwife, if you know, depending on their luck, they may be accused of purposely killing the child. Or if you're treating someone who has a disease and they don't get better because hey, it's an incurable disease, then they flip the script and say they're not better, not because leprosy is incurable at the time, but because you're a witch.
Speaker 2: What a horrible position to be in to literally being the first line of defense for helping people and opening yourself up to this kind of scrutiny and ridicule. It reminds me of that scene we're talking about the tests and like the things that were contained in this book, which is also the kinds of tortures and how now you should go about torturing a witch to get a proper confession. But it reminds me of that scene in Monty Python the Holy Grail where they're trying to see if it's a witch, and they're like, does wood sink in water? No, it floats, So then throw her in the water and see if she floats. What else floats in water? A duck? And then the king is like, so if she weighs the same as a duck, then she's a witch. It's like this kind of circular logic. You know, this is satire, obviously, but that's the kind of stuff that was in this book.
Speaker 1: In this book, although maybe it started out as somewhat of a specialized tool, this book becomes wildly popular, right it goes through what twenty eight editions. I think there are more than thirty thousand copies circulated throughout Europe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's sold more copies than any book but the Bible up until sixteen seventy.
Speaker 1: Eight, which is insane, especially when you consider what a pain it was to make a book at that time. So this also get some endorsement from the papacy itself. The Pope issues a papal bull, it's document that the Pope signs themselves stating the official church opinion.
Speaker 2: And this is pre publication though, right, It's like he kind of sanctioned them to do this research. And this bull was included in the in the printing.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, and this book it's a hexellen Hammo is the only thanks man. This book is the only work of its kind to receive the official approval of the Catholic Church. Now, people will tell you that there's some fairly convincing, circumstantial evidence that Kramer bribed the Pope to condone the Hammer of the Witches.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I also read somewhere that it's not even specifically about the Hammer of the Witches, that they sort of almost like fudged it a little bit to make it seem like it was more about that, but it was actually a little broader and not specifically condoning everything that they were putting forth in this book. But it's like the best New York Times book review you could possibly get, or the best celebrity endorsement you can ever imagine having, is having this thing included inside your book jacket cover. Pope says, good to go. You know, this is this is the this is the one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's kind of like having writing a book about how to be a better person and having h an endorsement from mister Rogers or something. Not quite because we're talking about God, you know, in divinity. But while we're talking about fudging this, there's an interesting thing. We we mentioned Jacob Springer or Johann Springer as he's often called. He was in later editions mentioned as a collaborator, but nowadays a lot of historians believe that his name was just added as kind of an endorsement. Yeah, that's right, that's right. I read that too, and that he didn't actually have much to do with the creation of the book, sort of like how Quentin Tarantino air quote presented the man with the Iron Fist directed by Rizza, and Tarantino didn't really have anything to do with how he hung out. I'm sure, yeah, I'm sure he They.
Speaker 2: Probably had n't share with his name on it on set.
Speaker 1: And he probably made a rant about something in pop culture.
Speaker 2: But that's just what he does.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's just kind of how Quinton is totally.
Speaker 2: So what was the bone? What were the bona fides of Springer? Again, Ben, I'm sorry if you said it just helped me out. I want to understand a little better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was dean of the University of Cologne in Germany, and he was also a friar of some note.
Speaker 2: And here's the thing the bull itself, it was more intended to confirm powers that inquisitors, or that a guy named Henry instatoris and James Springer, who were inquisitors, already have to quote deal with persons of every class and every form of crime, for example, with witchcraft as being heresy. And it called upon the Bishop of Strasburg to lend this is a quote from the from the Bull, lend inquisitors all possible support. And the reason that Kramer enlisted Springer was because Spranger's name is actually in the bul but it had nothing to do with the book. It was more about seeking out witchcraft and prosecuting it in general, because the law had changed where I believe it used to be more a church specifically a church duty to seek these things out, but then it kind of became more of a municipal thing. And when we start seeing the crazy panic of witch hunt pandemonium, that's because it became a lot easier to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's the thing, and I think that's that's well put. We would be remiss if we didn't mention that one of the things clear condoned by the book is torture.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, horrific torture. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Kramer's favorite was something called the strepato, which is a device that attaches to the wrist and pulls them upwards so the victims hang by their arms until their arms dislocate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, anytime we talk about this kind of stuff, I just get the hebe gv's so bad, Like the thumb screws, the ones that would literally shred your hands, you know, by like these vices that your hands would go in. And there was one that was some kind of like helmet you would put on with like a drill that would go right into your forehead. Just barbaric stuff. And another thing that was in the in the book was a caveat saying you don't have to tell the person you're accusing who accused them.
Speaker 1: Right. It also recommends, oddly enough, deception in order to obtain confessions. So there's a quote here where it says, and when the implements of torture been prepared to judge, both in person and through other good men zealous in the faith, tries to persuade the prisoner to confess the truth freely. But if he will not confess, he bid attendance, make the prisoner fast to the strepado or other implement of torture. The attendants obey forthwith yet with feigned agitation. Then at the prayer of some of those present, the prisoner is loosed again and taken aside, and once more persuaded to confess, being led to believe that he will, in that case not be put to death. That's why so many people confessed, because they got tortured for some amount of time, and then they got pulled aside and someone said, hey, look, if you just come clean about this, stop it can end. Now, of course you don't have to die.
Speaker 2: And we already know this about military interrogation, that interrogation under torture does not yield results that are reliable because people will say anything if you'll stop doing the horrible thing to them.
Speaker 1: Right exactly, And that's I mean, it's the I hate to say it. Tortures of tale is old as time. And didn't they also talk about the quote unquote more carnal inherent nature of women.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, that's what we're talking about the top of the show. Yeah, I feel like that's something it's inherent in this whole persecution of women for witchcraft. But yes, it carries over into this codified you know, book of all of these different techniques. I was watching a documentary on this book on History Channel, and I forget the guy's name, but he was a scholar who specifically studies this work, and he pointed out all of these very charged words that were used in the text, the words that didn't have to use and they were Latin obviously, but words that would mean something like disgusting or filth, you know, as opposed to just you know, not good, like very charged language or a word that meant a temptress or some kind of adulteress, you know, where it was like, this is what these women will turn men into through their you know, witchly wiles or whatever. So very charged language, very much within it with a position, you know.
Speaker 1: And additionally, it's important to note there's a different definition of seduction at play here. It's completely possible, for instance, for someone to have sexually assaulted an innocent person in a village and then say, I'm a good Christian man. She seduced me through the use of witchcraft, of course, so in addition to me attacking her as a punishment her powers, she should be put to death.
Speaker 2: It reminds me of the story we did about women being incarcerated for having sexually transmitted diseases, where that was flipped as well and used by men to treat like men would give women these sexually transmitted diseases and then act like they had given it to them, or use it to ostracize them in some way. There was one story I believe where a man like left a woman on the side of the road or something like that. It's another one of these really fed up power dynamics that is again tail as old as time, and we see it all codified in this book here, like this is the way to do it.
Speaker 1: There's a pretty interesting argument from Atlas Obscure by Sarah Lascau about about the hammer of the Witches, which, you know, while we're at it, shouldn't it be the hammer for the witches? Just grammatically the witches do not have the power, right. So what they found was that The Malice Maleficarum was once thought to be the handbook for witch hunters, but more recent research has found that maybe it wasn't as influential as we initially thought, because you're right, you know all that Papal Bull from fourteen eighty four and the book was written in fourteen eighty six, published in fourteen eighty seven, that Papal Bull allows witchcraft prosecutions, but as you said, doesn't specifically say this is.
Speaker 2: The book, but it named that guy Springer, which is the reason that Kramer needed to have him as his co author, because that allowed him to use that as a manipulation. And I think we've made it clear. But this thing caught on like wildfire and spread even to like the New World, you know, which is where the Salem stuff comes in. I mean, this became a thing, and it was literally this like best seller, but not just one that people were talking about around the water cooler. This actually caused the deaths of what was that figure at the top of the show bends the women.
Speaker 1: The early modern period, approximately one hundred thousand and fifty thousand of whom that's excuse me, I've ever stated the number of no, you got it, you got it.
Speaker 2: I think I said hundreds of them, but hundreds of thousands of women who were persecuted, and a lesser number who were actually killed, but in the most gruesome and horrific ways.
Speaker 1: And to the point about the perceived importance of the book, as it was catching on with the public, it looks like some members of the clergy were becoming increasingly, I don't know, skeptical of the book would be, oddly enough, a good word. Leaders of the Spanish Inquisition didn't put too much stock in the Hammer, and by at least the fifteen thirties they were actively warning their own officials away from it because maybe they saw it as sort of a personal mission of Kramer's, maybe a little more self interest than public interest. But it was still influential enough that people would commission specific copies of it, and I guess it is important for us to mention that while the vast majority of people prosecuted for witchcraft were women, there were dudes in there too, and they were also put to death. Absolutely, it was kind of anything goes.
Speaker 2: I've got a couple of resources that I'd like to plug really quick, sure, and I'm interested in finding out more about this stuff. I know you and I both love the a twenty four film The Witch. I feel like that displays these attitudes very strongly. There's a young girl character who kind of represents that sexuality that we're talking about, and there's some kind of telling shots that show that that's not only an issue for the man, it's an issue for the mother, because the mother is almost even as much threatened by that as any you know, authority figure male might be. And that becomes a theme, and this idea of a witch harming crops or livestock is represented, and just the kind of idea of this witch being is it real? Is it not real? Is it just religious zelotry? Run a muck. That's the thing that's fun about that movie.
Speaker 1: But there's also the subtle argument for air got poisoning.
Speaker 2: That's right. It's right that they're all hallucinating on some kind of poisoned crop, poisoned corn that has hootinogenic effects, which is one of the possible explanations for the Salem witch trials, which here in How Stuff Works. Our buddy Matt works on a show about Salem called Unobscure with Aaron Mankey of lore fame, and our pal Alex Williams, who composed our theme.
Speaker 1: And now, thankfully this book is surprise, surprise, no longer considered an authoritative an authoritative guide to persecuting people for perceived supernatural abilities.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you don't hear so much about people burning witches anymore, thankfully, But you know there are still which hunts of other varieties, and all this stuff is very interesting to learn from and apply to modern day politics and things, which is something that they parallel in that show. And I'm scured that we're talking about.
Speaker 1: And for his part, Kramer kept writing and preaching until he died in Bohemia in fifteen o five. His gambit to increase his reputation, or maybe to justify his failed attempts at which hunting did seem to succeed because we said the Papal bull on persecution witchcraft was published in the fourteen eighty seven edition. We didn't mention that by fourteen ninety the Church had officially condemned the Hammer of the Witches. Was it because they were genuinely concerned for the damage it was doing to communities? Or was it because he was late with yet another bribe that we don't know?
Speaker 2: Well, what we do know is that there was rampant corruption in the Catholic Church and the papacy, and you know, likely still is given what we know about some of the scandals that keep coming to light. So it's uh, you know, the more things change and all that. And this brings us to where's the silver lining here? Yeah, we need a silver lining. I have a comic recommendation. Oh good, let's see. That's why the comic recommendation is helpful.
Speaker 1: It's our insurance plan. Yeah yeah, okay. So I'm a fan of murky and dark stuff, and I would like to recommend today the commic Sir Edward Gray, Witchfinder. So Noel, you you know hell Boy and maybe Baltimore and all those other things.
Speaker 2: I know hell Boy.
Speaker 1: Okay, So Witchfinder is a spin off from hell Boy, and it concerns a guy named Sir Edward Gray, who is the Queen's official expert on all things supernatural because of various interactions he has had saving people from the nefarious activities of witches. Edward Gray does not spoiler alert use the Hammer of the Witches the hex Mohammah. But it's a great story as a matter of fact. Man, if you want to borrow some of the trades, I have them.
Speaker 2: Sure, as soon as I return Locking Key to you. Oh that's right, can't be double dutch to you. Comic book wise, Oh, Lock and Key is so great. But that's my comic recommendation for today. As far as we know, there is not Thank Goodness a graphic novel adaptation of the Nalius Maleficara. I think the Constantine comics are really fun.
Speaker 1: That's great, and it involves a.
Speaker 2: Lot of different supernatural exploration and things like that. I've always been a huge fan of Sandman and Neil Gamon's work, and Constantine was in that briefly, and he has his own series that's really great and has Witchcraft and Devilry and uh Lucifer and all of these great deities, but they have real personality, so that that's a fun one. I wouldn't bother with the movie with Keanu Reeves.
Speaker 1: I would. I would watch the movie after reading the comics, so just recognize it's a very different thing.
Speaker 2: And I have heard that the TV series that got canceled was okay, but I was I didn't see it.
Speaker 1: I liked it. To whomever they picked to be the lead actor for that the protagonist.
Speaker 2: He's got to be real Cockney. He can't be Keanu.
Speaker 1: Reeves genuinely looks like Johnny Constitute.
Speaker 2: Yeah, cont of Reeves is a weird choice. Here's a weird choice. I hear he's a great guy though he seems like a lovely dude. That's sad. Keanu on the bench meme is is just delightful. There we go.
Speaker 1: Now we're inting on a better note.
Speaker 2: We just had to make ourselves cheer up. I think that's what it was. We hope that it worked for you as well. Ridiculous Historians, thank you so much for tuning in. Thanks to our super producer and avowed opponent of witch hunts, Casey Pegrew. Thanks to our research pal Gabe Lucier for hipping us to some of the details in this kind of depressing but incredible story.
Speaker 1: We already thanked Alex, we did, but we get to think you do it again.
Speaker 2: It was weird thinking him out of context.
Speaker 1: No, I think it was great. Still, I feel like we should let him know that we still do this because you said he just nodded once.
Speaker 2: That's just what he does.
Speaker 1: He's just he's a nodter.
Speaker 2: He's a nodter.
Speaker 1: I mean that as a compliment.
Speaker 2: But both he and our long suffering buddy Matt both work on this Salem show Unobscured with Aaron Mangy, So check that out if you want to do a deep dive into the Salem witch trials and how it kind of dovetails a bit with American politics right now. It's a very interesting show. Thanks to you, Ben for being a friend.
Speaker 1: Thanks to you Noel, and thanks to everyone in society ever who decided to stop burning people alive. Yeah yeah, I think that deserves it. Thank you, and stay tuned for our next episode. We can't tell you what it is yet for various reasons.
Speaker 2: Is it because we don't know.
Speaker 1: Primarily it's because we haven't picked one yet, but we can promise that. We hope it will be interested.
Speaker 2: It'll be an episode. See it n folks. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.