Speaker 1: I'm Tarvis Mexi and you're listened to the seventy six Ers Insiders podcast by Everybody. I'm fairly love Yeah seventy.
Speaker 2: Six Welcome back everybody into another post Sixers win reaction chat.
Speaker 3: We're live on Twitter spaces.
Speaker 2: This is also available on the seventy six Ers Insiders podcast feed, So if you're not with us there yet, please please please give us a follow wherever you get your podcast.
Speaker 3: I'm Lauren Rosen. Matt Murphy is here.
Speaker 2: We are ready to dive into all things Game three and that what a game it was.
Speaker 4: Talk to me about what you saw, Hey, Lauren Rosen. Great to be back with you. Great to be with everyone live and on demand. Sixers up three to zero on the Brooklyn Nets. Final score one oh two ninety seven. Finding different ways to win this the first time this postseason, had a chance to do it on the road, and perhaps no game fit that mold more than this Game three in Brooklyn. The idea that this is what true contending teams in the NBA do. No game, no series, is ever going to be easy, but staying in games and finding a way in the end a game that you don't expect them to necessarily pull out, and they go and do it by five in and away game to go up three to zero and a chance to sweep and get some rests. Obviously, one game at a time, but I think we've got Lauren back with us for the stats.
Speaker 3: Thanks Matt.
Speaker 2: Sorry about that, guys, and like you said, finding a way to get it done. Doc Rivers not particularly pleased with most of the individual performances from last night, but when he came to the podium, his immediate takeaway was how much of a team when that was? He said, it was something that they wanted to learn to do all season long, and luckily those reps paid off in Game three. We're going to get into the stats now. If you guys have thoughts, please drop a comment using that purple icon in the bottom right hand corner of space screen. You can also send us a DM if you're listening after.
Speaker 3: The live show.
Speaker 2: We will respond to your dms in our next show. So let us know what stands out to you live. We're trying to read everything, and here we go. So a one oh two ninety seven victory over the Brooklyn Nets, a twenty six to fifteen fourth quarter that would prove really decisive after Brooklyn had a thirty five to eighteen advantage in that third quarter. Tyrese Maxi led the way for the seventy six ers with twenty five points, three rebounds, and three assists. He shot ten for seventeen from the field. He had another five to three pointer outing, shooting five for eight from three point range. James Harden in the minutes that he was able to be on the floor, of course, before exiting the game in the second half. More on that in a bit twenty one points, five rebounds, four assists. He shot eight for fifteen from the field. He had three threes in his twenty nine minutes of play. Tobias Harris another super solid outing fifteen points, seven rebounds and an assist. Joel Embiid finishes with a fourteen point ten rebound double double plus twos to steal and two blocks. The Anthony Melton had a bench high thirteen points. He finished at a plus twenty four that was the best on the team, and he played thirty minutes off the bench, just stepping up and stepping in big after Harden's exit.
Speaker 3: PJ.
Speaker 2: Tucker, the stats never tell the whole story, but three points eight rebounds, three offensive rebounds, four assists, and a block in his twenty nine minutes of play. Massive down the stretch were PJ. Tucker and Tyrese Maxi. But Matt, when you look at this box score, what.
Speaker 3: Do you see?
Speaker 4: Can I take the easy way out and just talk about Tyrese Maxi?
Speaker 3: Please do? It's about time.
Speaker 4: Because you can really look deep into a box score, just a little past maybe the counting stats on the front page, and if you really look at like the how the game played out, with the play by play and each basket listed one by one, Tyrese Maxey's name is all over that sheet at the fourth quarter and late in the fourth quarter, he said after and we'll hear from ty will hear from PJ. Tucker coming right up. But a little bit of a spoiler. He talked about how the coaching staff and Sam Cassell in particular, had said to him it's winning time with about four minutes left during a timeout, and he must have taken that to heart because he scored ten of the last thirteen and there was only two minutes and fifteen seconds left in the game. As you're scrolling the box scorer and looking at the time of these baskets. When Brooklyn went up ninety six ninety one and then his three to cut it to two felt like a must have shot that was at the two toho three mark, And of course he made a steal in a basket to tie it and then a perhaps bigger three in the overall scheme of things out of the timeout with less than a minute to go, but that shot down five felt like if you miss that, who knows what happens. So the amount of scoring Tyrese Maxi did in such a small amount of time in a playoff game on the road was my main.
Speaker 2: Takeaway of Tyrese Maxie, a theme that we often draw back to remembering what he was like in the situations he's been put in as a rookie in the playoffs, as a sophomore in the playoffs, and now this year, really putting the team on his back in two of their last three games, two of their first three games of these playoffs. Let's hear him discussing the win post game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean just kind of sometimes how the game flows. We're trying to get the ball, Joe all on the elbow a little bit, let them tap. So we give these their shots. They did a good job of just being extremely physical pushing them out. And then the way the ball was rotating out the traps, you know, that was that was probably the reason why I didn't choose much. But down the stretch, I mean I knew because James is I had the ball in my hands. So once you have the ball in your hands, you kind of dictate, you know where the ball goes. So trying to get to Joe, well, if I can't get to Joe, well, you know, trying to get in the pain, make and play for somebody else on myself.
Speaker 2: You look happy for everybody down the stretch because it was a little extra happy for.
Speaker 3: DMDY after that. Don't you think it's excited your relationship with him?
Speaker 4: Why you're excited?
Speaker 1: I'm assuming excited. You know. It's funny people thought that we would be I guess beaching whatever because we know we're in out of the lineups, but literally, like like we're like almost on a team, probably like really good friends, best friends if you want to say so. So it's like we cheer each other on and in any circumstance, and I get on for not being aggressive, he gets on me for not being aggressive and and I think that's just something that we have in common, is we both want to win really bad, but we both want to see each other succeed. So I knew he was gonna gamble. I'm just glad he didn't have to gamble like too hard because it can't felt right.
Speaker 5: Into his hands.
Speaker 1: So you know, he played well though he played well with that little baby with mill Duck he had I don't know what. I don't know where this Dnne was in the regular season, but Dugan but not even wants to dunk everything and jump high. But we'll take it. I mentioned that you guys have been able to ben so many different types of games. You'll be able to keep up in offensive, powerhousing and defensive stuff. That's like this, How much does that a thought that you guys gotta beat his good confidence?
Speaker 5: Man?
Speaker 1: It's huge. It's extremely big because we have one. We have so many different guys that can do things to Like if you saw the game how it went, I think I had a big first quarter. Joeoye is still trapping him uh to come third quarter when we needed when they went on their little run and we needed, uh, somebody step up. James was out there, he stepped up, he hit some big shots. Uh, here's some shots where the offense was stalled and then the shot clock got laid and he just created. He did some James Harden stuff and uh, he hits some big shots. And like you said, we can rely on our defense to win games and then we could score with the best of them. We have weapons, we have depth, and we have a good system. So can you talk about the surveyor this week or ash The next game obviously is the most important one.
Speaker 3: But in your experience, know and in a couple of playoffs, why do you feel like it's hard for the sweet happen? Why is it hard for one to sweep the other team?
Speaker 1: It's it's hard for a sweeping. It's hard to win a close our game because everybody has pride out here. Man, this is the best the best bat Hell players in the world. So it's like, you know, if if if you don't have pride, then you wouldn't be here, you know what I'm saying. So you're not gonna just lay down and let somebody, uh you know, if it you know, close out the game or close out the series on you, You're gonna put your all into it, and uh, that's what we're gonna gonna do on Saturday, and you know this game's over. Uh we're happy to win, and we gotta get ready compared. We gotta be better, way better than we were. Uh really good first half, not so good third quarter. Finish it out, but uh, you gotta be better for four quarters.
Speaker 2: Next time, you've told your story a real copule of times of Midway.
Speaker 3: Through your rookie year, you weren't playing. You went into Dock's office and told you you were gonna win a playoff game. Then you went and did. Now you've won a few playoff games.
Speaker 2: If you don't mind reflecting, can you sort of take us from then to tonight?
Speaker 6: As I know what it feels like to be.
Speaker 3: Inside your head?
Speaker 1: Well the then during that time, I was just highly confused. I I was just I went home and I told my my uncle and my my dad and my mom said and Doc called me into the office and told me I'm to win a playoff game. I'm I hadn't played in two weeks. M Like, I ha, that w that it well, how they can correlate. But you know, as soon as he told me that he played me like consistently every single game, and I just I thought of something at the confidence switch, Like I've always had confidence, but when Joe Will was coming up to me to and the uh Mike Sky on the team was coming up to be telling me like, but we've seen you play, we see you hoop, and I just go out there on the court and do it and do it with the aultar confidence. And I think that was a turning point of of of my sh small professional far young commersal far. And then once that happened, you know, that actually went how it went. And this year I think I got a I kept saying coming in to training camp, I knew what my role was gonna be. I knew this was my first time coming in training camp knowing my role was gonna be. Went through some adversity, got hurt, stuff changed, but you know my mind has always been the same. That's to win and do whatever it takes to win. And uh, tonight it was you know when when our bond hndler, our leader went out wash take that role a full porter and help us get into our stuff, help us win again. I just kind of stay back what you're moround.
Speaker 6: Doctimity was post compressial mostly way you guys to be able to stay composed despite things not going and way, it's just like where does that composure coming from? When guys are getting tossed for whatever reason, then calls might not be going there with it.
Speaker 1: We got a lot of old guys out there, like cut and he's telling everybody to sit down and be quiet then listening to coaching or listen to him. So you have that, and you have we have MVP and he's the same way he's demanding. You got Tobias who's been you know, been the playoff before, Melk who else was out there? A lot different guys, and then they have me being young, but I feel old, uh now because I've been, you know, out there playing with him. So when you have guys like that, do you have the coaching staff who's been there before? You have everybody on that was on our bench with the house trays, dead Man, all those guys, they've been there before. So for us to stay calm and that situation was really good.
Speaker 2: And I'm proud miss for that Winona says. Maxie is a baller period. Going to read all these Maxi comments real quick. LaToya says, Let's give Tyrese his flowers for stepping up like he's done all series. Lexi says, need someone to pass along the message to Tyrese that we are so proud of him. I think he sees your messages. He's definitely online. Uh, but we can let him know for sure. Genie says Tyrese Maxie, he is him proud of how he stepped up and didn't allow the moment to become too big for him.
Speaker 3: He just played his game. Matt Murphy your thoughts.
Speaker 4: Let's give Lauren Rosen her flowers for those questions in there, especially at the end. Get some good stuff out of Tyrese reflecting on his journey and how his rookie year, that conversation he had with the coach, Doc Rivers, and how he was confused about how he would be asked to make or win, help them win, or lead them to a win in the playoffs at that time, based on how the rotation had shaken out, and a couple years ago with the Game six in the playoffs and how it actually did happen, and now we see Tyrese Maxi leading to leading the Sixers to another playoff victory. I really enjoyed that exchange that you both had at the end. So well, job well done, Lauren, very.
Speaker 3: Kind, Matt Murphy, thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Someone else who certainly deserves their flowers, if we don't mind pivoting p J Tucker. He came into the Sixers team with a really really sterling reputation as a leader, as a player, but most for his reputation in the playoffs. And I think there was a lot of pressure put on PJ playing in a city like Philadelphia for the first time, joining the team on his new contract, And now he's really shown exactly why the Sixers wanted PJ Tucker. He has been everything and more in these first couple or first three games rather and as soon as he came into the game last night, he made a huge difference. Matt, what did you see from PJ?
Speaker 3: Last night?
Speaker 4: Doc Rivers talked about how important he was to the win and said he was the toughest player on the floor. So a lot of this is stuff that we're rehashing because it was almost expected of PJ Tucker to play like this in the playoffs based on his body of work in his career, but to now see him actually doing it in a Sixers uniform is another thing. And I what stood out to me is the offensive rebounds for the team didn't jump off the stat sheet like they did in previous games of the series, but they were once again timely and PJ Tucker. For him to not only get one offense rebound on a possession, but multiple offensive rebounds, and then the Sixers to just have multiple looks at it, That's where I'm looking at PJ Tucker. I know Tom McGinnis on the radio side had a line about Tucker that said, is there anyone that plays harder or hustles more? I think not, so I would like to echo that sentiment.
Speaker 2: The way that PJ Tucker has carried himself all season has been extremely impressive and we've gotten to see why he has the reputation that he has. But it's been such a pleasure to see why he has the playoff reputation that he has. And the scuttle butt sort of around the team is how nice it is to have him on their side. Of course, the Sixers came up against PJ in the playoffs last season. There's some pretty iconic photos of PJ wrestling rebounds away from four or five of his current teammates even and they've talked about how nice it is to have them on their side. I was able to ask James Harden about PJ after the game last night, and James talked about the years that they've spent together, either in the trenches together or as opponents, and just how glad he was to watch his teammate and friend of many years succeed last night when James was watching from the back. Some really good content coming by the way about or not about, but showing. Yeah, this is here's your teaser from at sixers coming up in the.
Speaker 3: Next couple of hours.
Speaker 2: Probably shout out to Nick McCain, who was our shooter last night, to Julie Villanova Becker Royer, who are going to push that one out.
Speaker 3: Uh, but here we go. Let's listen to PJ after. You can hear it.
Speaker 4: You can hear the belief I think so you can hear the belief about this group in PJ Tucker's voice and his tone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, really really cool stuff. So let's listen to who the guy who really was the emotional leader in the huddles and in the locker room and then backed it up with his play last night.
Speaker 3: Here's PJ.
Speaker 1: Tucker.
Speaker 5: That's right. Interesting, it was fun. It was fun because this is one of those ones just wild. It's just will a lot of things won old tanks. It was a lot. That's how you expect them to throw everything at you, do whatever take to win. You know, they try to junk the game up, but all the double playing and switching and playing fast, playing hard. But like I said, you know you expect that down down on two at home, first game at home. Just bring it off. You tell your guy whose game is kind of kid on physicality for some kind of that's any game like that where there are injections and there.
Speaker 3: Is just a lot happened, happen not get something?
Speaker 5: Fine, Yeah, I'm at home. That's it. I love that. Those are my favorite kind of games, cause the rest started letting a little more go and get chippy and you know, to come down. I told Joel before uh that we started the playoffs. These type of games the ones you remember if you get to where you wanna be, Those games where you shooting forty percent and you know, sixty from the free throw and nobody get a three and you win. Those are the ones that's when you know, you're grow as a team. You do whatever it takes that night you get to win. And these are kind of games that you know, Bill build that foundation to be able to win, cause then when you're rolling, uh, it's it's hard to beat you.
Speaker 1: Did you think that one guy's tough minded is getting filter out?
Speaker 5: No, I don't think just too much credit for that, No, it definitely doesn't. But it's just like a team cohesiveness that send the tone accountability. You know, guys having to come in and do what they're supposed to do. Do your job. If everybody does a job, then everybody's jobs will be easy. A lots to be a lot easy, you.
Speaker 6: Know j Toss, you know Joel picks up early flagrant when your shots start going, does the how do you say?
Speaker 1: The boys?
Speaker 5: Those are the ones and the time I'll say, hey, get out here we go, come on, get back on overs, let's come on do this, execute talk, communicate better, your physical box out. It's the little stuff that gets you going. We struggled early with office rebound. Kiot threeties started to get a couple of going gets harvestown ill, Joe's not playing all right?
Speaker 4: Cool?
Speaker 5: Come on, we know what we gotta do. It's not it's not rocket science.
Speaker 3: What do you make him win?
Speaker 6: The living and these shots the German stretch coming kind.
Speaker 5: Of quiet, that's what he does. And Terry is I'm always trying to get him activated. He gets sometimes he gets lost in the shovels, just with James and Joe sometimes, but he don't need a lot to get going. Tyre's geta lay up and get filed, a couple of free throws and then he can just run them off and take over the game. So have it that ability. He's so young, he's just like she didn't even know. He's just like, you know, he missed the pew whatever. But he just get it going, make one shot. He's that good. So I'm always going to try to get him going.
Speaker 3: PJ.
Speaker 2: Tucker with some high praise for Tyres Maxey last night, and the two of them, of course down the stretch were the ones that made it possible for the seventy six ers to take that through lead with an opportunity to get the brooms out tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Matt, what are you watching for in game four? Well?
Speaker 4: Coming off the PJ press conference there, Winona shared a message or sent a message that said on one of the broadcasts that Reggie Miller said that every team needs a PJ.
Speaker 3: Tucker.
Speaker 4: So agree with that sentiment. Thanks Winona. Earlier we heard PJ there talk about Tyrese Maxie. At the very end, Mary shared a tweet from NBA University that said MAXI talking about Maxi. He's up there for best vibes in the league. Also up there as most efficient play finishers in the league. Great combo in my opinion. So thank you guys for participating some good stuff there on Tucker and Maxi. But yeah, three to zero series, you got a Saturday afternoon game in Brooklyn, TNT, NBC Sports Philadelphia ninety seven to five the Fanatic, one pm Eastern. They could have a lot of time off potentially if they sweep this series. You keep an eye on that Boston series as well, but the second round can't get moved up all that much. So I think it's important to take care of business, and you always want to win a series in as few games as possible. But you could potentially set yourself up for a similar preparation period as you had during the play in week heading into the first round, heading into the second round. So that's what I'm looking for to maybe build off of how you finished this last game, And of course you want to see them maybe win going away a little bit more, but you're on another team's home court, and like I said at the top of this show, contenders, true contenders win games that aren't easy, and no NBA game or series, especially on the road, is going to be easy. But they've had Brooklyn's number, I think on the way out the door here. I'm also looking at Tobias Harris because he had another double digit game fifteen points, and he had an important three pointer, like so many from mac Harris had won five minutes into the fourth quarter, and it was from his spot that we talk about Lauren, his right corner, where for much of this year. I don't know if he finished as the leader, but he was the leading scorer in the NBA by zone for the right corner, and he's hit so many clutch shots from beyond the arc in that part of the on that part of the court this season, and he did so again against Brooklyn. So I'm watching for Tobias Harris too in Game four.
Speaker 2: Matt Murphy looking forward to covering that Game four with you. I couldn't have said it better myself. Of course, an opportunity for the Sixers to put a full forty eight together ahead of whoever the next opponent might be should they get that victory. You know, the playoffs get harder as they go along.
Speaker 3: PJ.
Speaker 2: Tucker's been telling the team all playoffs long that each next game is the most important one and it will be the most difficult one. So always difficult to close out a series, always difficult to do it on the road. But the Sixers with an awesome opportunity tomorrow after noon, You guys aren't already doing it, make sure you're following us on the seventy six of the Insiders podcast feed if you haven't sent us a note about what you want to hear more of, less of whatever. As the playoffs go along, we always want to hear your feedback, so please, please please please shoot us a DM. And we appreciate you guys for being here on this Friday afternoon at lunchtime. It's beautiful if you're on the East Coast, so go outside, enjoy the good vibes that the Sixers have put into the ether these days, and hopefully they'll keep it going tomorrow, Matt Murphy.
Speaker 3: I'll let you have the last word if you want it, and thank you, as always for being here.
Speaker 4: Flagrant twos for both of us were ejected from this show. Why just because it's over?
Speaker 3: But oh all right, sure, I love it. All right, we're a game now.
Speaker 4: We need to match the ejection total from game three.
Speaker 3: Fair enough, Matt, Thank you guys, and we'll talk soon.
Speaker 4: Thanks everyone, Bye,