Speaker 1: Wake that ass up in the morning.
Speaker 2: The Breakfast Club Morning.
Speaker 3: Everybody is the j n Vy Jess Hilarious, Charlamagne the guy we are the Breakfast Club just is out today. Lord l Rosa filling in and we got a special guest in the building.
Speaker 2: He's back. Ladies and gentlemen, Ryan Coog. We welcome back.
Speaker 1: Brother. Man. It's nice to be here.
Speaker 4: We feel I'm feeling good, Bro, feeling good. We just mary our movie last night. You know, so happy to happy to be at this stage. You're putting it out. You know, I'm happy to be here talking to you all about it.
Speaker 2: Man, Think about Ryan.
Speaker 5: No matter what Ryan is doing, no matter how long he in Hollywood, that Oakland do not get up.
Speaker 2: You can hear every.
Speaker 5: Time you're talking about I feel like you're about to ask me what's said I'm from.
Speaker 1: Tripping, Bro. We don't.
Speaker 4: We don't even now we ask why in Oakland? Bro, That's that's the la thing. Ask you about that.
Speaker 2: But how do you stay so rounded though?
Speaker 5: Like you can hear the Oakland in you, Like you're doing movies that got ninety million dollar budgets.
Speaker 2: But it don't changes.
Speaker 4: Just my actions how I talk about can't change it. Yeah, it's you know, it's yeah, I can't just like I Amy something like he's from New York, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: It's just it's just I think what it is. It's not a lot of us.
Speaker 4: From like that, from like that era, like me and me and me and mar Shaun about the same age.
Speaker 2: He's another oneand they never leave.
Speaker 4: Dan Dame Dang literally quite younger than us, but he like of that of that era.
Speaker 1: But Dame a little you know what I'm saying, Dame a little bit younger.
Speaker 4: You know, we we it's just certain like like every every era of Oakland talk a little talk talks a little different, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Like my mom.
Speaker 4: Her, she she talks very proper, but but but but it also has a little a little bit of the South in it, a little more of the South in it than than us. And my grandmother she's from you know, born in put Out, the Texas. They moved oak until she was twelve, so she sounds completely like she like a Texan, you know what I'm saying. And then it's like and it's like a class thing too. You feel me like my little brothers you know, we moved to Richmond, like I don't remember. I don't really remember Oakland, you know what I'm saying. And and we went we went to Catholic school. You feel me so like like they action is slightly different from mine to you know what I'm saying, like my like my my action. I know exactly where it's from, the areas from it got locked in when I was like seven or eight years old. And it's funny because my mom's just it's actually funny. My mom remember when my actions started to change because I started hanging out. She was like, hey man, you're talking like them, you know, saying, talking like them, you know outside you know what I'm saying'snna get stuck like that?
Speaker 1: So my whole life I gotta, I gotta. I never have to explain it, you know what i'mer stand. But but yeah, bro, it's it's it's just how I talk. I can't. I can't talk about different.
Speaker 2: Listen, I love it, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, you mentioned Centers yesterday, that the preview was yesterday the press, I should say, so explain to people what Centers is about. I'm sure they seen the commercial they've seen the trailers, but what is centers about?
Speaker 4: Yeah, man, it's like the plot or yeah, yeah, the plot. It's about two twin brothers who come home to their hometown and Clarkson, Mississippi, after about seven years in Chicago. Uh and they kind of, you know, they basically gangsters, you know what I mean, and very notorious, and they come home and pick up their little cousin who's this Who's this bluest prodigy and they got plans of opening up a juke joint, you know, which is like a black night club at that time.
Speaker 1: And uh so it's a twenty four hour movie.
Speaker 4: They gather wrap all all their friends from their past who you know, to start this business, and then you know, vampire ends up showing up and you know, things go a little left.
Speaker 5: How difficult was it directing one actor for two different roles because Michael be Jordan's playing the twin brothers.
Speaker 1: I mean it was, man, it was Yeah, I guess, I guess.
Speaker 4: I guess I wouldn't want to talk about it like in terms of degree of difficulty, right, but but it was definitely complicated, you know what I'm saying. Like, but I got a I got a great team brought, got great producers, fantastic visual effects department, you know, and and we just came up with a plan and how to do it. I actually actually talked to a few filmmakers who had done things like it, you know. I was in conversation with christ Nolan, who's a mentor of mine, and he did a similar thing. He actually did a couple of movies that had that had like kind of twenty elements. He did a movie called The Prestige spoiler alert. It's some you know some it's a twin element in that. And then he also did a movie called Tenant that came out right right right at the start of the pandemic with with John David Washington, and because got characters going back and forth in time, like he got scenes with John David Washington's fighting himself, you know. So so so I talked with him a little bit. I was talking him about just the format that we shot the film in, and we talked a little bit of twin two. But there was another film back on named Sean Darkin who came up the sun Dans route, and he has just done he's just done a television series called Dead Ringers, the remake of a David Carnenberg film. But it started Rachel Weiss as twin Gyn in Collogists. You know what I'm saying that that that identical twin guy colleges played by one actor and I and I got on the phone with him for about He probably talked for about about an hour on how they how they made that, how they made that work, and he ran it down to me, uh, you know, kind of blowbile, blow at things I should be thinking about. And I'll be ever grateful that. I'll be ever grateful to Sean and I actually need to reach out to him, you know. But but you like, it's it's it's a lot, it's very very technical, but it's actually that it's actually the hardest on Mike, you know what I'm saying to be honest with you, because I'm you know, I'm I'm near with the Caaron trying and trying to work at all, and some day is more complicated. And I don't know if you'll just had a chance to see the film yet far parts of parts of okay, yeah, so so so for Michael, you know, you know, he had to he had to embody two completely different people who were identical twins, which is a very like unique specific type of person, right and on and on days where you know where the twins were interacting, you know, he would have to start the day as one character, you know, go get changed and come back and shoot another past as as another character.
Speaker 1: We had to cast a.
Speaker 4: Twin double, which is an actor who bastually is the same build, shape, height, complexion as Mike to act across from him so he can know where you know where to look.
Speaker 1: But somebody's not talking to himself. Okay.
Speaker 6: So when I was watching it, because even the first time you see them on camera and they're standing next to each other and I'm like, okay, I notice is technology. But I'm like, as an actor, I know you kind of feed off of like it's very like physical. So it was like, I wonder how Michael B. Jordan's like, what is he using to their interaction?
Speaker 2: Is yea, Now Lauren wants the stunt double number just like Michael. He built like can't get the original.
Speaker 1: The party build.
Speaker 6: When they killed a snake in the back of the truck, even that, I'm like, I mean that was something so small, but I'm like, you got to know where your people are to you know what I'm saying, I'm like, how did they do that?
Speaker 4: I mean, look a lot of work, man, you feel me like like we did a lot of work, but the most but real talk like the highest degree of difficulty was on Mike. Like acting is acting is an insanely difficult thing to do, you know what I'm saying, to to be able to embody another another human being, you know, and in this case, he had to embody. He had to embody two of them that had to interdependent relationship on each other. Right, So we have to make sure that party.
Speaker 1: Could can act.
Speaker 4: But also Mike had to have to know what he was going to do, because Party is not Mike, you know what I'm saying. So you have to kind of like, you know, we have to kind of walk through, all right, well, what would he do when he smoke?
Speaker 1: Right? What would he do when he stacked?
Speaker 4: We had to decide who should go first, you know what I mean, Because we're doing that, whoever goes set think it's gonna have to really feed off what the first one was. They can't walk through the body of the other one even though they're not there. We got to map that out. You know it was very very technical, bro, you know what I mean. And uh but but I was so impressed with I was so impressed with what Michael was able to do, man Like, I think I think these I think these two performances are are his two best performances he's ever done, you know. And I've been there all of them, feel me. But I've been there for I've been there for some of the for some of the you know, some of the great ones. Always say like like, you know, I wasn't there for Jess Marshy. I wasn't there for Johnathan Jordan, you know, create to and creed three Hours of twel was an executive producer C three I produced. But uh but but as as far as like what I what I'm directing right there standing out to the camera watching him, you know, man like, like straight up like you know, ya, I haven't seen the movie with his two his two brothers. These dudes just gangsters, straight up, you know what I'm saying, Like all the school gangsters, like the gangsters that the gangsters we came up under look, you know, came up on her, you know, you know what I mean. And World War One veterans and you know and and and one brother is is far more gangster than the other one. You know what I mean, you were Actually it's funny because it was it was it was complicated because he's actually kind of cool, you know, like like constantly more cunning than anything. You got that funny story about Nelly, Bro, You know what I'm saying, what we said, he said, Nelly calmly.
Speaker 5: Told you, like I got a continuous for everybody be like, yo, who's the person that came to the show that made you feel like they were really you up?
Speaker 2: I'm like Nelly.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like Nell, everybody be like Nelly is because he had such a calm demeanor about so where I'm from, Bro.
Speaker 4: You know, you had the guys that was You had the guys that was Rye and that didn't last long. You know, I mean I got killed early with the jail earlier. The dudes that the dudes that last the longest, the dudes that that was ship right there, and you don't even know they just decided that gonna have you act.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: The real scary ones, even in New York were the ones that didn't say much, real quiet, real calm.
Speaker 1: Yeah, those are the ones you have to be scared.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So that's Smoke in the movie. And I'll never forget Bro. Like like days zero, when we were shooting, he came to shut out. He came to shut out of Smoke, and and and Ruth Carter, who's a legendary costumer. Because she came up to me, I could tell she was like a little bit, a little bit flustered, you know what I'm saying. She was like, hey, you know I got these She's like, I got this jewelry, you know, Uh, you know I got I got different you know, like kind of getting costumes together. And she was saying like, and uh, you know, you know you gotta look at it and tell me what you what you what you want? Even have I put you know, I put both things on him, you know, And she kind of was like, you know, I could tell she kind of how to you know, so you watched some Mike walked up and and I've been doing like a long.
Speaker 1: Time, bro, you know, you know what I mean. We were hummy.
Speaker 4: You feel me, and it's somewhile these energies to making my blood run cold, you know what I mean. And so I asked the question that she went. I was like something about a bracelet, if you wanted a bracelet or some or not. And and I said, bro, do you want the bracelet on this on this arm for smoke or this arm? And he said, he said, I'm indifferent. But he sat in like this deep Southern action, you know what I'm saying. And I looked at him and I was like, oh, ship character completely, like you know, he's completely somebody else, you know, you know what I'm saying. And he had like a thousand yard a thousand yards there, you feel me? And I was like, oh, maybe you gotta get to work. I put him right in the car and started, shoot, don't even know if I took the bracelet off or not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how do you?
Speaker 2: How do you?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 2: Two questions? Was this? Was that always the original plan for Michael to play both those guys?
Speaker 1: Absolutely?
Speaker 5: Okay, so I guess you can't get in his mind. But how do you, as a director prepare him to do different?
Speaker 4: That's a great question, bro, so so so so it's so deep to it, bro, But like, I don't know what neighborhood y'all from?
Speaker 2: You?
Speaker 1: For Queens? Yeah?
Speaker 4: And then South Carolina, sir, Yeah, so was it any was it any like hood twins and y'all when y'all grew.
Speaker 6: Up, it's always a set of hood twins.
Speaker 1: Okay that's what Yeah, but no, okay, where are you from?
Speaker 2: I'm from Delaware.
Speaker 1: I' from them to Delaware.
Speaker 6: It was actually god rest, So they just because they still was getting into it, they just passed away this past summer.
Speaker 1: Yeah together, Yeah, you knew something we had.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we had I think one set of twins, but a lot of brothers, but one city twins.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so you got brothers, right, you know what I'm saying, But then you got twins like like so so like from a lot of the hoods, you got got twins, and and that would would be referred to as the twins. And when you see him, you can't some of the part, so a lot of people just call him twin, you know, you know what I'm saying, Like like, I mean like, but but I used to think it was just like a West Coast thing. But then I've seen this film called The Craze and it was white twins. I was, I was, I was in you know, it was in Uh it was cock me and doing that doing that thing you know, and.
Speaker 1: I realized it was. It was, it was a whole thing.
Speaker 4: But but in Black culture, uh specifically West African culture, it's like a it's like a spiritual thing.
Speaker 1: They're like twin.
Speaker 4: Deities out of Europe, but out of the europe religion, you know what I'm saying. And the Yurope with people over indexing fraternal twins, you know, so as African Americans, we're most likely that we're more likely to have twins and other than other people. Right, but with identical twins, they scientifically don't even understand how it happens, you know what I'm saying, Still a mystery of how of how of how the feralized splits and why it does.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: And my mom's older sisters are identical twins, my Auntie Maryland and my Auntie Curlyn. They in their seventies now. They live right next door to each other. One of them was my godmother, you know what I'm saying. The other one I'm still I'm still super tight with. But they are completely identical, you know what I'm saying. With my whole life growing up, I could tell which one was which just by looking at how they hold they face, you know, what I'm saying, and what their energy is like when they walk into it they walk into a room, right. So it's something I've always been cognized up so I'm always thought about, you know, and I always wanted to explore it. And with this movie, I wanted to hire some twin consultants from Mike to talk to. I got two hommies named Noah and Logan Miller like white dudes, but they from They from the Bay Area, from from not not far from where park with the high school, right and they and they really like Salt of the Earth dudes, street dudes, And it became became filmmakers, you know what I'm saying, like like hustled the hardway, didn't go to film school and none of that. And they and I hit him up and it was down. They was like, yeah, we talked to him about it, and bro was mind blowing. Many they would write up these these kind of journals, you know what I mean, for him for him to kind of look at and study and they would kind of explain, uh, the mindset of an identical twin and and and what I learned I was also fascinating was that when when when identical twins, siblings passed like they don't live long after, you know, you know what I'm saying, Like it's one of those things where it's such a symbiotic relationship, you know what. You know what I'm saying, that that that you know, you you start from in uterol with this, you know what I'm saying with this, with this, with this person, you know what I mean, and you go through you go through the world being othered, you know what I'm saying. It was also talking about how people would oftentimes like play a game trying to trying to tell them apart, you know, like how and how dehumanizing that.
Speaker 1: Is for them. You know what I'm saying. It's something that they eventually get used to.
Speaker 4: But you know, like they work with Mike. It really helped me work with work with who these with who these characters are, you know, you know what I mean. And I got to know my friends better.
Speaker 1: Bro. You know, I'm not I know I've been going for a while.
Speaker 4: But one funny thing I realized with them, I've been knowing it for you for over a decade. I've been knowing it for over a decade. And I had them come over to my house in the bay just to kind of work through some stuff before before they sat down with Mike, And I never forget this, Like they they came and sat down on my college and they sit side, they sit sideway side, you know, I mean they completely identical, right, you notice just about identical twins whore rolling around a lot of times that they'll be they'll be like, they'll be like touching each other looking and I say, hey, man, I noticed y'all, Like y'all like touching each other, y'all close enough to each other to touch.
Speaker 1: And they're like yeah. And I'm like, when y'all when y'all shit side by side, like that is that for me? Or is that for y'all? And they say it's for you, right, I'm like, and I'm like, so, y'all don't need to be next to each other. It's like nah. They was like, but it freaks people out when we not, you know, you know, cause because because you know so it's like a thing like how you how you know, in all school, when you shake hands, you show both hands.
Speaker 4: That's how they That's how they approached the world. And they say, as soon as we have a problem with somebody, like if we feel like if we feel under threat or something like get physical to first they do is split up so that you can't so you have to turn your head to see the other one. So then I was like, hey, have y'all ever had a like, have y'all ever had a one on one? And they said only with each other?
Speaker 1: Wow? So the whole life right eve Ben jumping people?
Speaker 2: You know, straight up, like I have a question about the movie.
Speaker 6: Just hear you say that, And I don't know if maybe I might be digging too deep, but tell me, this is the thing. The first time we see Michael Jordan in the role, they're side by side. And then the first time we see one of the twins, I think it's smoked Heaven issue where the men in the back of the truck he by hisself?
Speaker 1: Is that from that?
Speaker 6: Like that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, you doing this thing?
Speaker 6: Like because just hearing the like the inspiration, yes, like that conversation because I have friends that are twins too, and I never thought about that.
Speaker 4: Well yeah, like like like so so that that's that's the other thing we learned about about about these symbiotic relationships.
Speaker 1: It's like.
Speaker 4: When you get them by themselves, the individual, the individual differences come out and become more prevalent, become more prevalent, and and and the thing with smoking Stack is the whole dynamic want to ruin the movie. Man comes out, But the dynamic between them is one isn't is inherently more violent and more practical the other one.
Speaker 1: The other one is is a kinder person, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: So the situation she's talking about smokes by himself and catching somebody trying to steal it from you know what I'm saying. And Stack's not there to be like, hey let him ride, you know, you know, you know what I'm saying. So you know, but but Stack also needs, you know what I'm saying, smoke because he's two lax, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Two and two and two come.
Speaker 4: So you see that, you know, you see the uh, the the issues that arise with that when they split up. For about you know, twenty twenty five minutes in a movie.
Speaker 3: What made you want to do this movie? Was it the complexity of what you're talking about or what caught you with this movie?
Speaker 6: There's some family ties, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, absolutely, so I can talk about all of it here. It's the best it's the best place to talk about man. Thank you, thank y'all for inviting, because y'all y'all get all of this. So, so look, I had an uncle, uh now, uncle James Edmonson, and he was he was he was he was born and raised in Mississippi. But then but then flagg uh to Auckland when he was like in his twenties, you know. So so you know, that's where I was born. And we probably like the second way with a great migration, right you know. And and he was the he was basically like the oldest member of my family for for all, this male member of my family for a long time. And when my parents couldn't afford to buy a house on Auckland, we ended up moving to Richmond, which is you know, it's essentially like like Newark would be here here and here in New York, right if Oakland was Brooklyn. And and shortly after we moved, my uncle James his family moved. It was like down the block from me, you know. So I would go spend time with him to get out the house, I could walk to his house. And all he would do when he was off from work is he would listen to to to either watch it San Fransco Giants game on TV, or he would listen to it on the radio for what in televas to drink all Tyler whiskey and play blues records on vinyl, you know what I'm saying. And I came to associate that music with him. I didn't think about the music, you know, for me, And for me it was it was you know what I'm saying, it was it was rapping R and B.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: But but in twenty fifteen, he ended up, he ended up passing away and and he and he and he he got shick while I was making Creed.
Speaker 1: So I was like, I was, I was.
Speaker 4: I was in Philly for most of the time while he was sick. Then I had to go to l A, you know what I'm saying and do post production. And I got the call that he died while I was like, I don't know, like picture locking or something, and I felt like ship bro, can.
Speaker 1: I cuts on this course?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I felt like ship Bro. I remember being in the in the.
Speaker 4: Hallway with my wife who who who produced this movie Centers and just and just feeling like just feeling like what the fuck am I doing?
Speaker 1: Man? I'm not I'm not at home with my you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: I'm like, I'm not going I'm like in a hallway and in the middle of l A and some some dirty production facility, you know, you know what I'm saying. And and I and I I made at home for the funeral, but I never reckoned with that, that that that feeling of of not being there with somebody who was so important to me. And and so I would find myself when I was thinking about him playing like all blues records you feel me like and I And when I would listen to him, it was like if I caused my eyes like he was there with me, you know, you know what I'm saying, Like the power of the the power of music to be able to do that right, and so so you got that.
Speaker 1: There was another element to it. Uh So I've been making.
Speaker 4: Films based on other things basically my whole my whole career, right, Like, Like my first feature film was Frouville, and I was based on a really like a real thing that happened, you know what I'm saying where where I'm from, right, And it's it's only you know, it's it's only it's only so many ways you tell that story. And I was trying to tell it the way that that that that that that I had the most integrity for where I'm from before, for his family and for that who that who that young man was who was murdered by but by the police officer, right, and and and and then then I was forced to make like a movie in the Rocky in the Rocky Universe, right, you know what I'm saying, a movie about Paul Creed's son. And like I hired for the Black Panther movies, you know what I'm saying. You know, these all stuff based on other things. So so I'm on Panther two and it's it's taken a long time. We had a lot of experience, a lot of a lot of tragedy, a lot of misfortune. It's a lot that that wasn't just us, by the way.
Speaker 1: It was during the global pandemic, you know what I'm saying. And and and you know.
Speaker 4: Tragically lost our actor, uh rest peace. So I had to have to refigure that out, you know what I'm saying, and keep it together with everybody who was who was involved still want to still want to make something and our lead actress, Lovely letch Wright was was injured on set. Had to have to shut down for that am Cron shuts down and and you know, and in Atlanta ended up being like a four year movie.
Speaker 6: Bro.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: And and I remember we was going through maybe the worst of you man, and and and what would get me through?
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying. While I was out there, was listening to was listening to some of my favorite artists, Bro. And I was listening to a lot of nip Rest and Peace. I was listened to a lot of golf right. Look, look, but when I was listening to dol Bro, it wasn't a resting piece yet. Bro wasn't resting piece yet. And and I'll never forget Bro.
Speaker 1: I think it was.
Speaker 4: I think it was November seventeenth, twenty twenty one. I'm in Byron, Georgia. Bro and I see my first cotton field in my life. We were riding and.
Speaker 1: I and I saw it. I taught the driver man't pull over. You know what I'm saying, bounced talk. I never I had never seen one before. You know, you know, driver White, No, he's not.
Speaker 2: He probably was like finally trying to get them back here, Bro, who's.
Speaker 1: Our driver name?
Speaker 2: Baby h Craig.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, it was shouts off the craig Man. Black Man from Cradle from New York. You're create from Okay, black Man from New York. But she was in We was, you know, walking out of Atlanta right like verybody was making the movies Dan Bow, Bro, and.
Speaker 1: I go, I go. I literally like when I went into the field just to see it, Bro, I was having like a crazy ash you know, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Moment was like like what that felt like? I keep it, honey, but I couldn't. I couldn't describe it. I couldn't describe it, Bro, because like I felt guilty. I felt like, you know, I've been on this show. We talking about going to Africa, you know what I'm saying. And I wanted to get type deal with my ancestors and and and and but then was my ancestors one hundred years we moved. This is my ancestors, Howndrey.
Speaker 1: Years you moved?
Speaker 4: Hadn't hadn't been there, hadn't seen it, you know, you know you know what I'm saying. So it was it was like an overwoman since a guilt where when where anything right, And uh I took something, you know, and uh I believe that day when when I heard he was right, you know, and I and I.
Speaker 1: Was I had never met this dude. I never met Nick, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: But but but I felt like but I felt like I knew him, you know, you know what I'm saying, like from from from the music and and I remember being like, man, fuck this, like because because you gotta keep in mind, I was in the Bay, Bro, going to football practice with my homies.
Speaker 1: We heard pop God and we were sea pot you know.
Speaker 4: You know you know what I'm saying, Like it shut the whole It shot our whole football practice down. The mamas was crying, the cultures was crying, and I'm like, I'm like, bro as a fan of his music, Bro, Bro, it's been a lifetime and this ship Bro. Like like like being in being in Philly on Creed and hearing that that that the jack or reustion piece got killed. You know what I'm saying, that keep the sneak got shot in the back.
Speaker 1: He paralyzed.
Speaker 4: Now like I'm like, you know, my hummies out that that came up and was rapping. He never heard of you Feel Me that that, And I'm like, I'm like, Bro, I can't listen to this music right now, Bro, I can't.
Speaker 1: I gotta take a break. You feel Me?
Speaker 4: And I remember venting to my producer, who is from into California, from close black man, but from a different culture there, and and I say, man, I said, Bro, what kind of music is here?
Speaker 2: Bro?
Speaker 4: Where the artist talks about how to navigate where they're from, how to escape all the demons they dealing with.
Speaker 1: Man, Like she get to the thirties and still fall victim to the ship? Bro, what music exists like this?
Speaker 2: I was.
Speaker 4: I was saying that, like like he looked at me. He's a smart dude, Moore. He looked at me Bro, and like and like in a real empathetic way. It conshittered it and he was like, he's like, man, my favorite music like that.
Speaker 1: I said, what music is that? He said, Man, grunge music. I said, huh m hm. He said yeah, man, he's like he said, we just lost Chris Cornell Bright. He was in his fifties.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he was like, he's like, all that music is about struggling with you know what I'm saying, struggling with that demon's depression and trying and kick dope, you know what I mean. And they end up, you know, they get get all the money in the world, standing up dying in the hotel rooms.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I said, ship, damn, you know.
Speaker 4: And what's crazy is in the Bay our biggest radio station when I point when came here, and the only rock song I ever played on that station Bro coming up with Nirvana with smell like teen Spirit.
Speaker 1: So I was like, Man, let me dig into this grunge music.
Speaker 4: I'm I'm gonna take a break from you know what I'm saying, from listen to gruns And I started listening to it, Bro, and I was like, Man, this.
Speaker 1: Ship something like with my uncle used to play like I was. I was listening to like it's literally like I'm listening to it.
Speaker 4: I'm listening to the guitar ribs and like what they're talking about and and like like the passionate seeing with and I'm like, that's all man, I thunk into the research, man, And that's exactly what it is.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: It's just it's just it's just blues me to some of my white people, you know. You know what I'm saying, and that was that was when I was like, and it's just it's just like within it same twenty four hours, you know. You know what I'm saying that was That was was that's I was like Sherry cropping blues, the evolution of it, the h the racious origins of genre as a concept, you know what I'm saying. Like, I'm like, I think it's a movie in this, you know. And and I'm just a big horror movie fan, bro, I like, I like, I like horror and all this fashions, and nobody really knew that about me, you know what I'm saying, because of the movies that I that I made, So I put that with it too, and and you know, this is this is how you got how you got shinish.
Speaker 1: Just that makes sense.
Speaker 5: I want to say rest in peace to it because we just, uh, it was the six y anniversary of his pasting like last week, and I also want to say rest in peace to Dove.
Speaker 2: It's something going on with Dolph Energetically.
Speaker 5: I don't know what it is, because I've been listening to Young Dolph a lot in the past forty eight hours. Yeah, I've been saying and am I missed off? And I've been telling my my wife and my my my cousin, who's my trainer?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm like, y'all want some new Dolph music.
Speaker 5: And I don't know why I've been saying at the last for I can show you my playlist, show you how much doff I show.
Speaker 2: You the last forty eight hours.
Speaker 1: So now he got me through reping. People look Bro like Nick, I.
Speaker 4: Just I just talked. I just talked to I'll just talk. I just talked to black Sham the other day. But with Nick Nick reshing peace bro Hen me and me and my wife was going through a tough time. Bro when we released Panther one, and like the whole, the whole, it was a really it was really uh odd experience because because from the we was on top. It was on top of the world, right and we was in a certain extent, but but personally was going through some ship and and Bro never I'll never forget Bro. Ship was so heavy that that that that you know we normally you know, the Bay, the Bay of l a like a like a you know our flight, you feel me. But I was like I was like, man, let's rent a car and let's drive up to the Highway one because our whole lives we're hearing about how beautiful.
Speaker 1: Highway one is.
Speaker 4: So let's rent a cars drive up Highway one. She just coached everybody been talking about our whole lots.
Speaker 1: You feel me? And she was like, she was like, all right, bet we put all finished. The movie went to a.
Speaker 4: Wrinkling time screening, because that's our that's our sister, you feel me knocked out all and he was like, let's get back to the crib. So up the coach, bro Man Victory lave all ride whole ride turned.
Speaker 1: Off, and spend it back right. And and I always associate him with the feeling of healing. That album.
Speaker 4: That album brought us in that time, you know, you know what I'm saying. And and and my association with him was one of my best friends was down from from.
Speaker 2: He did.
Speaker 1: He did it rough for ten years, but he went in when I was in when I was when I was in film school. Came out the year the year Black Panther came out, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: And I'll stay tapped in with him, you know, money on his books, you know, And they would transfram all over all over the country.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Every time you're transferighting, bro, he was like, need all my NIP albums, Bro, I need I need, I need them more. So I got to I have to rebind Marathon. I have to find him and I got and I gotta find it on the uh you know, on the prison system.
Speaker 1: You know, you know what I'm saying. And and you know Nick got him through, you know his incarceration. You feel me so yeah, bro, like when when when when.
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: And when you listen to somebody you feel like you know them. Bro.
Speaker 4: You know it's just a different type of y'all do radio right, People probably listening y'all every morning, think y'all their best friends.
Speaker 1: You know. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: It's that it's that type of uh, it's that type of get Dawn man. And and I showed the movie to another to another filmmaker, mohammikal Matic.
Speaker 1: Who's from l A.
Speaker 4: You know that did the host Party film and did the White Man Can't Jump sequel, and and amazine music video director just did the just did the uh scrabble up video right shouting centers.
Speaker 1: First thing you say to me, man, seeing.
Speaker 4: Them two dudes that it felt like it felt like it felt like nip and sham, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: And I wasn't.
Speaker 4: I wasn't even thinking about I wasn't even thinking about the fact that these two you know what I'm saying, he's the too brothers, Like we're gonna get it, you know, you know what I'm saying. Like like when you said that to me, Bro, that ship hit me on a different you know, on a different level. I was like, Okay, Yeah, I'm okay. Maybe my my cinematic language is getting to it's getting to where it needs to be because because I'm putting things and I'm feeling I'm maybe not even thinking.
Speaker 1: About you know, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: And that's crazy cause when they talk about centers, they talk about how your your genre blending right, drama, you gotta put hip hop in there too.
Speaker 1: All it's all over there the movie.
Speaker 6: I feel like even in the way that the smoke and his smoking, his brother shack Stack smoking Sack, even the way that they like maneuver and the way that they move, like even it's small stuff in there and you I'm here, you say that it wasn't purposely, I guess, but even the way he pulls out his gun and stuff like that, it's like it's so much to it. And when when I was watching the parts that I did see of it, I was just seeing her thinking like wow, Like I wonder how many times you sit and watch it and you catch something different every single time because it's like layered, and I think some of it is not on purpose, Like does that happen to you?
Speaker 2: Still? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I oftentimes catch things with this movie, especially because it was so personal, you know what I'm saying. And I've become a more experienced filmmaker, you know, you know what I mean, And I'll be like, oh, I was doing that and I ain't you know, I ain't realizing. And the other thing that happens man when you when you work on on uh, because our our r form is is it's a tricky one, right, like you know. For instance, the young great legend Rod Wave watched the movie and then went knocked out a song for us in the day inspired about inspired a byt the film, and Ship is a song. I'm like, yo, this sh is done? You know you know what I'm saying, Like, like you know, like there's nothing we can nothing else we can do do fis we can't touch it took him, took him a night, you know, but we're working the years, right And what's what's crazy is you know you're not even the same person in four.
Speaker 1: Months, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Like I've written the screenplay and then got to like the last day of shooting, and I'm looking at the strip like what the fuck was I Like?
Speaker 1: Who wrote this? You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Often I often say that, like what was I thinking? You know, you know, and and and and I'm trying to get back into my own head from from you know what I'm saying, from from time past, and you know, you know, you're editing the film and mixing it sound, and sometimes I'll be like, oh, that's what I meant, you know, you know you know what I'm saying, Like that's what this is.
Speaker 1: You feel me? But yeah, I still I still I still see things, man.
Speaker 4: And because it's not because it's and it wasn't based on anything like direct so I was so you pull from yourself, you know, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: So I see a lot of a lot of myself.
Speaker 6: And I had to google that when I was watching it, like is this based on the true story?
Speaker 2: Because it so?
Speaker 6: But you the opening scene too, it's the center of the opening scene is the black church. Yeah, and it was such a powerful scene and then you backtrack into like a completely different version of that character. Can you talk about the choice too. I don't want to give it away, but like I thought that that was like really powerful the way.
Speaker 1: That you did talk about that easy work. Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: So when I was doing I did a lot of research on the on the movie. The two the two like the big work research workhorses for me were two books, uh le, Roy Jones' Blues People l Roy Jones letter changed his name to Mary Baraka. But when you find that when you looking for that text, it'll be because we published it with Roy Jones.
Speaker 1: It will generally be publishing that. That's a black man, Black and alect.
Speaker 4: You were talking about the blues culture and then and then there's another book called Deep Blues by by a music collegist named Robert Palmer.
Speaker 1: The white Dude. You know what I'm saying, talking talking.
Speaker 4: About talking about blues music, about the incredible books.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 4: But but in researching all those books and learning about the great Delta blues musicians, you know. And it started with a guy named Charlie Patton essentially, and it started on the Doctor Doctory Farms plantation in Mississippi, is you know, is where I kind of where they feel like the first true Delta blues song as.
Speaker 1: His norm was played right. Uh.
Speaker 4: But in his in his lineage, there there comes Tommy Johnson, who was the first dude to run around say he saw the song to the Devil to learn how to play.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: It was Robert Johnson who is the more known dudes to to kind of say he saw the song to the Devil to play. Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: And in between there is a dude named Son House who essentially outlived all those guys. And what you learn is almost every single last one of these dudes not only came out of the church, but like Daddy's was preachers.
Speaker 1: It was like almost it was like almost constant, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: And and and what I realized is I'm like, oh, like the the that that like the African Orator, you know, you know what I'm saying, like like that's a that's a that's a long line from the from the from the from the Griot. You know what I'm saying to to you know, to Rod Wave today, you know, you know, you know what I'm saying. And like that, it's all versions of the same thing. The Preacher at the Poor Pick, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: You know the musicality of of the Black Preacher, you know, most known, most known with Martin Luther King Junior. Right, you know what I'm saying, Like like like you know, the you know, you know what I'm saying, like like the animation you feel me like that.
Speaker 4: That's all from the continent, but it was deeply it was deeply refined in the in the you know what I'm saying, in the American South, you know what I mean. And you know, the best blues musicians basically came out of it, came out of the church, and the blues was known as the Devil's music.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: It was It was a huge economy, like like, you know, a lot of a lot of anxiety and judgement out of that, and a lot of guilt, you know what I'm saying. Like, dudes, would be huge substance a musics and house will basically go like he'll he'll basically go like five years drinking and playing blues music, five years sober and preaching, five years drinking and playing blues music, ten years sober.
Speaker 1: Now he got his own church. You know. You know what I'm saying it was. It was that kind of cycle. So that's that's why we started it like that.
Speaker 5: You know, they said you got to go ahead nine to fifty. But I got three questions. I gotta got like two minutes. Different energy brings different things out of pe. What did Chad Wick Bothman bring out of you that Michael B.
Speaker 2: Jordan does?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 4: So, so that's a fucking fantastic question, Bro, It's a fantastic question because I just had to doing his press tour.
Speaker 1: You know, because because out.
Speaker 4: Of all of my actors, Bro, and all of my actors, Chad's death actually hit Mike the hardest, you know, and and I and I I never had to talk about that, but we were doing we were doing press together now and look, man, Chad was older than us, Bro, Like, like, he was quite a bit older than us, even though he looked like he was the same.
Speaker 2: As he was not.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm saying I was a fully baked man from the South. You know, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Like he was an old school he was an old school man's man. And and compared to that dude when we worked together, brought me and Michael's kids.
Speaker 1: You know, you know what I'm saying. And and and what Chad taught me, Bro, I mean he changed my life. Bro, you know what I'm saying. But but but he was. He was the kind of teacher who you never knew you was getting a lession when he talked. You know, you know what I'm saying. It was it was all.
Speaker 2: It was all by all by.
Speaker 1: Example, you know, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: And what he what he what he gave me. And Michael was patience. You know, he moved he moved out an old school pace and and and he he he took his time.
Speaker 1: He was always early. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: He was that type of He was that type of dude. Bro, you know what I'm saying, And and and and I think that you know, I don't think Mike. I don't think Michael would be it. Look, man, I taught him like and Michael, tell you is I told him, Man, I said, hey, Bro, what would child do you know what I'm saying in this role, if you had this role, what do you do?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 4: Because Chad never broke accent. You know what I'm saying. He was talking in an African accent. Bro, you put me for dinner at nine o'clock. I remember the Disney executives came, came and seen as a panther like week two and he put it up and it was it was it was a child's accent.
Speaker 1: What was going on?
Speaker 4: That was freaked out? And I was like, gonna be free thought. He's working And that's how you don't turn it off to we rat you know.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying, and and and and no shame or embarrassment and that. But that's how he was. That's how he was moving, you know, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: And and for Mike to see that, to see that up close, to have to do scenes across from that, and for me to be able to set that to him, you know what I'm saying, like like like that that he transitioned to become an ancestor.
Speaker 1: Bro, what what what the big homie? Do?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying, Like boom locked in you know what I'm saying and look bro, like like the difference is, man, look man, won't ever be another child?
Speaker 2: Bro?
Speaker 1: You feel me like like that should I? That's the difference.
Speaker 4: Like it's like asking somebody, bro, what was it like to shut up across from from from Mike Jordan's you know what I'm saying?
Speaker 1: Like you know, like like you know it made you a better hooper? I bet you know you know what I'm saying, like like and you know, and that's what it was, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: And we got no more. You know, they gotta go? Yeah do you Hey? I don't know. I want to go. You gotta come back right so much, so much.
Speaker 1: Want something.
Speaker 4: I just want something to sell and I want to tell people because see the movie in theaters.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: I guess, I guess.
Speaker 5: I stayed on chat just a little because I recently saw a video with Denzel was speaking about his first time.
Speaker 2: Seeing Black Panther. Yeah, he said he made him feel like he could pass the torch because of you, because.
Speaker 4: It was it was so much deeper than that. It was so much deeper than Danzel I ever show. Because he's humble looking man. Chiro was at Howard University, bro and and he was maybe the most brilliant actor I ever come through there Bro. If Felicia Shaw knew it, he was there to be a filmmaker. If Felicier Shaw wanted to see him where they where they you know, where they really do it, it'll be the it'd be the equivalent of a Hooper in and it's Victor women Yama. Right you in Paris, Bro, We're finishing you to go hoop of Lebron. We're finishing you to the station. You know what I'm saying, and go really eighty two game season against where basketball is life. You know what I'm saying. And in the UK acting his life, you know what I'm saying. That's where, that's where it's at. Right, Felicia was like, I want to get you to Oxford. I want to get you on stage in London. Shot from Anderson, South Carolina. Right, flis like, when I'm worry, I'm finding somebody to take care of you goes it in. Zelzel says, I want to I want to take care of it for the kid. I don't want I don't want them to know it's me and I don't want to know nothing about it.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 4: Right, let's just said, hey, we got a donor for you. Says about to Oxford. He goes to shut the ship down, comes back to tatick balls.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying. Later on his career, Felicia put him to this sigh. Ay man, I was in jail that pay for that. Wow. Wow. Chadwick seized the exailing passion for years and years and years and years and years.
Speaker 4: It's the patience I'm talking about. Knew it wasn't time to tell him yet, right.
Speaker 1: Premiere in l A.
Speaker 4: Form here in New York. Then Jel said I can pull up. He was doing broad I think he was doing the Iceman coming up or something. He said, I can pull up. I said, all right, bet I teld my act. I said, Heydnzel coming to night try immediately put me to the side, said I gotta talk to him before before before they go in and watch. And I said, what's going on? He wisher in my ear, But I got I gotta thank you for something, you know what I'm saying. So Danzel pull up?
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 4: He Denzel don't like to be He's not a Hollywood person crazy enough. He wanted to come into the back. He don't want to do the carpet, you know, I mean, dresses very down.
Speaker 1: And so I grabbed you. I said that somebody want to talk to you. Put him to the side, and my wife was there. It was, it was, it was, it was.
Speaker 4: It was me, Zenji and dan Zel and chat in the room and in the DJ Theater in New York, right here in Manhattan.
Speaker 1: And then heell pull up. I was like, hey, man, what's going on?
Speaker 4: You know in chat chat whispering his fucking ears ship. But that was me and thank him right, That's why Jel was crying, you know what I'm saying when he watched the movie like it was because of that.
Speaker 1: And for me, I I don't think it's gonna drop. I think I got it. You got it. So that's the look. Man. Do you know how many actors bro as soon.
Speaker 4: As they would have gone on they would have went on the show and said, yeah, man, Denzel paid for me to go to Oxford.
Speaker 1: Do you know how many articles they would have got out of that M forty two press Round'm Jackie Robinson. Oh yeah, man, By the way, Danzel paid for me to it's real.
Speaker 5: That's why, that's why it's almost impossible for you to even think about recasting a job.
Speaker 1: It's not it's not, it's not. I mean, it's it's but with the multiverse, it makes it a little I mean, we talk, we talk, we talk about that.
Speaker 5: Next we can ask one more question about SIS and it's really about Mike, because the relationship you and Mike have, I think does not get enough credit. I really don't like y'all are unity and group operation per signified. Y'all have a symbiotic relationship or did it was it? Was it a media or the developable?
Speaker 1: It developed? Bro Like like I like in it too. I liking it to.
Speaker 4: A quarterback and and uh, you know in a white out, you know what I'm saying, Like I play I play receiver in uh in college football. And it's like that, like it gets to the point where you know, we got a shorthand and we hold each other accountable. We also push each other like we're not trying to do the same thing we did before. You know what I mean, We're not gonna show up and and go through the motions. We're trying to shove up and and and get bigger and better each time. But the thing about but brother, keeping the honey man. The thing I love the most about Mike is his kindness, bro like like like he's he's a he's a number one on the car. She big old, giant, fucking movie star. He's incredibly kind to everybody on set.
Speaker 1: Focused nose the AD's name, nose the p a's name, don't come on the set. They don't look me in the eye. You know what I'm saying, Never raise a good woice anybody, you know, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: And he works his ass off, so it sets a tone for everybody that you're gonna be respectful, respectful to the to the p A up top, to the producer. We're gonna respect women, you know what I'm saying, Like we're gonna we're gonna're gonna be gonna be kind. You know, we're not gonna you know, because a film second get can get gnarly, you know what I mean, if if you don't, you know, if you don't set the right tone right.
Speaker 1: So so for me, I'm always he always gonna have a job before making something. He a good person.
Speaker 3: Even when you see him in his element, he'll take pictures with kids. He'll stop to take pictures to speak to older people, especially when your jerseys.
Speaker 2: It's ten times work.
Speaker 1: We're gonna be all in York tonight for a screen. Yeah yeah, he's like really like that.
Speaker 2: He just don't like.
Speaker 3: But besides that, Charlomon always messing him about the type of woman he liked.
Speaker 2: That man, but.
Speaker 6: Nice of emotion and and here you come.
Speaker 1: So he's a good elements.
Speaker 5: I just messed with him a couple of times about the white woman he was dating. I'll stay away from that crazy man. Don't let doctor him all down. That's all nothing crazy.
Speaker 1: But now he's a good.
Speaker 2: I promise you won't last three times ago.
Speaker 5: How do you accept an apology from thenzel Watt because he said he apologize.
Speaker 2: To you like you. That's that's the that's the old g Like do you even accept like no, he did even get mad at him.
Speaker 4: No man, no man, i I'm I'm I'm blessed to have you in my life, bro, like straight up man, and I'm blessed through through having him.
Speaker 1: I get Paul Letter. He was a bigger blessing. You know what I'm saying. I just just seen last night. Yeah, man, he apology, Bro, him saying that we're gonna work together, apologize for that.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm saying. That's what when he calls you.
Speaker 1: He was just like he was. He was more than more than he was. Like, hey, Bro, I say too much, like it wasn't all it wasn't you know, I say too much. Man, I ain't mean to make your heart.
Speaker 4: I'm like, you're good, You're good. You always happy to hear from you. Man, you FaceTime me in the whole hype, you know what I mean. Like like, but it's just just I'm blessed, bro, to be able to to be able to you know, to have these these these mentors, bro, Like like I feel like God looks after me, Bro. And when I lose when I gained one, you know, you know what I'm saying. And you know I started talking about this losing my uncle, right, you know what I'm saying. And I'm all this or three brothers. I've been looking for big brothers my whole life, you know what I'm saying. And when I gain you know what I mean, like like people who can who can give me any type of mentorship or advice, and you know it's the most incredible blessing.
Speaker 1: So you know, you know, you know, you know, apologies man.
Speaker 4: And I think one of the eight things he just he just wanted to make sure that he ain't speak out of school with how intense all of the all of the comic book stuff can get.
Speaker 5: You know what I'm saying, We need you, right, I mean, you know the way they're trying to erase our history out here. We need brothers like you that represent you know, Black culture.
Speaker 4: I need y'all rock I need y'all, y'all, y'all, y'all work ethic, in the in the in the relationship y'all have and built up with the audiences. You know what I'm saying, the trust, So I can tell him, Go see Centers that's April eighteen. Go see the I Max because that's how we shot it on film and big giant Imax cameras and super wide uh ultra panevision seventy millimeters for the first time, you know, and you're gonna see, you know, see people are all shy and colors on on the on the screen on the movie a roller culture ride, U probablys like a rock con shart, you know what I'm saying. And because of the work that y'all. Do you feel me, we able to, we able to come and tell people about you know what we are going on.
Speaker 1: Man, we need each other, you feel me?
Speaker 2: Absolutely?
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely go check it out.
Speaker 3: April eighteenth, Sinners, ladies and gentlemen, Ryan Coopler, thank you for joining us, and thank you all, bro and don't be a stranger you in town, come.
Speaker 1: On up here, bet it up, all right, that's the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 2: Good morning, wake that ass up in the morning. The Breakfast Club