Speaker 1: Hey, there are folks. It is Friday, December twelfth and we are officially on verdict watch in the Brian Walsh trial. We talked to you earlier about the defense it's closing argument. We want to talk to you now about the prosecutions closing argument. With that, Welcome to this episode of Amy and TJ. We talked so much robed about how Larry Tipton, the defense lawyer, was very performative and some of his antics and he made you sit up and watch. It seemed like the prosecution was trying to pick up some of those tricks to a certain degree.
Speaker 2: Yes, we saw the lead prosecutor, the female prosecutor, be more dramatic. She was not monotone, that's for sure. But unfortunately, and I say unfortunately, because she went too far in the other direction. She went from whispering at times to feeling sarcastic in others to yelling and I'm not exaggerating almost I jumped up and I said, why is she yelling at the jury. So it was an attempt to be more performative, to be more theatrical, which I think was needed. She just it didn't feel like it's in her wheelhouse.
Speaker 1: It didn't feel natural, it didn't feel normal. It felt like it really like she was feigning every emotion she was trying to deliver. I don't know this woman. I hate to be don't want to criticize the job they have done, but we are sitting there as casual observers, and this is how things are coming across to us. Yes, she was more animated. Yes, it did seem intentional. It seemed like almost on her page where she was reading something, it was said in parentheses, yell this line, yeahs for this line.
Speaker 3: Correct.
Speaker 2: I feel like she practiced this at home. And look, you know what, it may not matter what she said and how she said it might not matter as much as what she said to the jury and what they're going to believe in what they're not going to believe. But it is interesting observing it how important it is, or it seemed to us, how you say something, yes, and when you say something and it matters. The information is important, of course, actually it should be the only thing that really matters. But we're all human beings and how we receive it and how we see it delivered to us absolutely impacts the weight we give the information.
Speaker 3: We're receiving that is that.
Speaker 1: Is the best way to put it, and the way I'm receiving her message. It didn't. Again, we've been keeping ourselves in that lane and being the jurors. But yeah, she only went. She didn't go as long as Tipton, I don't think.
Speaker 3: No, only thirty four thirty five minutes.
Speaker 1: Okay, So now let's get into the meat and potatoes of what she had to say and rope she started out, and it We've been waiting to hear them say how she met this violent end, and I thought maybe we were getting close to that, but she wrapped up and sent that jury into that jury room to deliberate, and none of us still have any idea what their theory is about how she died.
Speaker 2: No her, they just stuck with the violent end and common sense. Those were the two big themes that they were pointing out, that yes, she was murdered, she met violence, that Brian Walsh was cool and calculated, because she could point to that in the surveillance video, and certainly she kept bringing in some of.
Speaker 3: His interrogation by police where he just.
Speaker 2: Seems so casual and so cool and nonchalant.
Speaker 3: So she was doing that. But again, there was no and actually we were surprised.
Speaker 2: She pointed out, Basically, we don't have the body, and so we can't tell you how she died without an autopsy.
Speaker 3: We don't know.
Speaker 1: I stopped. I don't know if I heard the next two or three sentences because I was stuck on that sentence. She said, the medical examiner, it's impossible for the medical examiner to determine how she died.
Speaker 3: Probably don't want to reiterate that to the jury.
Speaker 1: Wait what yeah, hey, wait what you're telling me that it's impossible. So you're telling me you don't know, right, is how I took that line. Now, she tried to land it by saying, the reason we don't know it's because he was calculated making sure we couldn't find the body. That's what she was trying today.
Speaker 2: I feel like though she could have taken it so much further and said, you know, we don't know if he strangled her, if he stabbed her with that knife, if he you know, if he suffocated her with the pillow.
Speaker 3: We don't know.
Speaker 2: But what we do know is he made damn sure we weren't going to find out because he got rid of that body like I.
Speaker 3: Was thinking in my mind.
Speaker 2: Granted I don't know what she could have said that could have painted that picture using the evidence she had, that he did make sure that no one got their hands on her body. He did make sure there was no evidence left behind. That's because he murdered her.
Speaker 1: Maybe the jurors aren't like us, right, we've been in television.
Speaker 4: Maybe maybe we want that and they don't need it. Yeah, that's true, and you shouldn't need it. But this isn't us. This is Every lawyer out there will tell you this stuff matters. They will tell you how you deliver, who the messenger is, they will tell you it all matters and robes the closing. For me, I wrote it down. You and I wrote the same thing down.
Speaker 1: The themes common sense and context. She sent them in there saying, use your common sense. She didn't send them in necessarily. Look at this evidence, look at this, remember this. Remember that she said common sense, common sense, common sense, and kept relying on this idea that yes, this happened, and this happened. Yeah, it doesn't prove anything, but you have to remember context. Wink wink not. It was almost like she was saying, come on, y'all y'all know this dude killed his wife. That is how the entire closing sounded to me. It was really a real big come on, y'all, come on, come on, we know he did it.
Speaker 2: I actually thought it was interesting because yes, that was the gist of it, like that is a very good way to sum it up. And I do think it was the first time she even gave the jury. She connected some dots that she did not connect while the testimony was happening, which we were complaining about. But she finally then in her closing arguments, pointed out that she felt like Brian misplacing his phone was calculated and he misplaced his phone early in the night on New Year's Eve, but she said that was all a ploy so that he could explain why he didn't know or he hadn't been in contact with his wife for so long because he had misplaced his phone, and also then he could go do some of the stuff he needed to do without his phone tracking him. So now she points that out. Then she points out just even like he was putting on a show basically for the friend who was over a gem because he knew what he was going to do, the fact that he.
Speaker 1: Because that Frank, I don't understand, was convincing.
Speaker 2: It was a happy, joyful occasion. So that is what she claims. The prosecution claims Brian wanted to happen. They also claimed these searches for the Porsche and the diamonds and all of that was just all to throw Anna off his tracks. That really he had also searched divorce, best ways to divorce if you're a man, So he was figuring out what his options were and at some point, according to the prosecution, he landed on murder. He had to kill her, and so all of this, they say, was because he was angry about her missing Thanksgiving. They claimed that he apps, well Thanksgiving, she was going to her mother's at Serbia, but they claim he knew because they shared the same bank account, that she actually went to Dublin with her boyfriend.
Speaker 1: She missed both of those.
Speaker 3: Yes, she missed Thanksgiving.
Speaker 1: And was the mom. She just said the mom was sick.
Speaker 2: I believe she did ultimately go, but I actually cannot tell you, babe.
Speaker 3: I don't know, but I know that.
Speaker 2: So they were claiming, hey, look, he knew about something else on the bank account. He knew she came back through Frankfurt. So come on, of course she he knew that she was in Dublin overnight on Thanksgiving.
Speaker 1: So listen to what you just said. Of course, come on, come on, that is what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: So she's connecting these dots and saying and all of it is very plausible, and I would say likely even, but they didn't prove it. They're actually just saying, of course he knew, of course he he And so he was angry since then, and then she misses Christmas, even Christmas Day. Now he's livid. So now he's sitting there plotting how he's going to get rid of her on New Year's Eve. And he's got a whole plan in place.
Speaker 1: You know, I they laid out I think Rose forgive me if I missed it during the testimony, but they laid out this, this reasoning, this logic for why he killed her that seemed to go. It seemed to be a little different from the other motive, meaning he had to take care of the kids. He had to, like as a condition of him not going to jail. He needed the kids. And if his wife is now possibly going to leave him for another man and the kids go away, then he has no money, and he has no woman. They built a case for a motive that I didn't necessarily hear built throughout.
Speaker 3: Desperation, is what it sounded like.
Speaker 2: Here's a man who's about to go to prison for a year or two, whose children are now going to be living with his wife, who's now going to move full time into this town home who she bought from her now boyfriend, And in his mind he could be thinking, and the boyfriend's just going to move in, I'm going to be replaced while I'm in prison, and I'm going to come back to no money and no family. That is what they were suggesting at the end in closing.
Speaker 1: I didn't hear necessarily that pieced together during this.
Speaker 2: I did not hear that through the line at all during And that was what we have been complaining about, because when they had moments with witnesses where they could have woven the story, and it did require the prosecutor to provide the context to weave the story, to get the witnesses to fill in the blanks for the story they were creating. It's almost as if they came up with that to wrap it all up. In addition to he was jealous and he needed the money, but it was more about desperation and no options. If he were to divorce her, he would lose, and so he needed to find a way when he came back from serving his time where he would have all the money because everything was in her name because of his financial issues in his federal case against him, he put all of their assets in her name. So now he's like, I just screwed myself. But I don't feel like they did that good of a job during the trial explaining that through testimony.
Speaker 1: Where did she nail it? I'm looking at some of my notes here, Where did you you really think she did make some good points that the jury may remember when they go in there. I'm looking at my notes here, and I don't she had this line. I mean, it was that impactful. He cut up Anna's body and threw her in the dumpster. Now, the way I just said it, she was screaming that line. She was screaming that line, and that were pauses in between, is that it was a moment I remember for being a little awkward, not impactful.
Speaker 2: What she was saying was impactful. How she was saying it was detracting from what she was saying. It was a sentence actually funny enough that didn't need any louder. And actually that might have been one where I would have gone slower and softer for people to really let that sink in. When she shouted it, it felt aggressive and like it was too much.
Speaker 3: It didn't work.
Speaker 1: Well, you're a performer, you are, no, I'm serious. What I'm saying is these things you're talking about, how that think when something is when the words themselves here, you go rope. This is a very good example. You've been talking about it, all those searches and writing that he had. When something is that impactful, you don't have to shout right, you just repeat it, folks. He cut up the woman he loves, he said he loves, and he put pieces of her in different dumpsters, like saying that, and she shouted it in a different type of way. And again, we were sitting here and we're being acting coaches or something and being critical of performance. But this is how we received the closing arguments in a trial we have watched every second.
Speaker 3: Do you know what's interesting?
Speaker 2: She could have even played off of Larry Tipton, the defense attorney, saying that the only evidence shows that there was love. I would have taken that and said, if that's love is chopping up you know, I would have taken his last line about that and just twisted it.
Speaker 1: You know, we know some attorneys that that would have been the first line in their closing. They would have played off that Larry Tipton said, the only thing there is, the only thing there's evidence of is love. That's the next thing.
Speaker 2: He right, he just gave you gold to work off of when you have those searches. I would have said, is this love and then how to cut like, you know, up my wife's body whatever, you know.
Speaker 3: All all of those searches.
Speaker 1: Just wow, just go. I mean that's a very good point.
Speaker 3: And we yes, yeah, I missed out fortinday.
Speaker 2: In fact, I just thought about that as you were saying what you were, when you were describing how she was saying things. I started thinking about what Tipton said, and I thought, wait, she totally could have viscerated that line with the evidence that she does have, because there is evidence. Yes, they are lacking very important evidence akaa body, but there is so much evidence pointing to his guilt, maybe even his guilty conscience. You could have taken that murder work, because so much was made of why did he use the word murder in his searches? Six hours afterwards? She could have pushed this guilty conscience idea. She could have pushed so many other explanations other than the one the defense gave.
Speaker 1: Okay, you're going to have to help me here, bab you just made me remember it. She made a very good point about a search, and I hadn't heard anybody say it before, and I said, oh, yeah, that's true. It was. She made a very good point. I've said that is a winning like. She made me sit up and think about a search he had, and she said, well, why would he say? Ah, this is what it was.
Speaker 3: I wish I could help you. I don't know which one you're talking.
Speaker 1: This was it, she said. If he's desperate and his wife just died, the first thing you're looking for is not to chop up a body. The first thing you're thinking is sudden death. What possibly happened brain aneurysm. That would have been your.
Speaker 3: Deep van thrombosis whatever it is.
Speaker 1: Thing but she made when she said that, I.
Speaker 3: Said, Babe, that you're right.
Speaker 2: When she said that, I remember thinking, now you just spoke to me, and when she talks about common sense, that's exactly that moment when you say, right, if I walked in on the person I loved dead, and I'm even if I'm thinking, oh no, they're going to think that I had something to do with it for whatever reason in my past, I would be immediately considered guilty. I'd still the first thing would be mouth to mouth. You'd want to see if you could resuscitate.
Speaker 3: Somebody, how to check a pulse.
Speaker 2: You'd want to yes, And if I'm going to start searching stuff, I'm going to start trying to figure out what happened?
Speaker 3: How can I help?
Speaker 2: Is there any remedy for what does alcohol poisoning look like? Whatever I think could have happened. But honestly, more importantly, babe, you just would call nine one one because you'd want that person to have a shot. Maybe they could be resuscitated, maybe something could be given to them that could alter the the current state of their bow.
Speaker 1: That was the one. I mean, let me give the prosecution credit on that one. Yep, you're right, they made that point and that was common now that's used in common sense absolutely like wait, and he had a lot of hours to do anything related to resuscitating or first aid and whatever. Maybe, but folks, stay here, we'll tell you now how could change a verdict because the jury doesn't have just one option for finding him guilty. And Roosees and I, who have watched every moment of this trial, will give you our predictions for what this jury is going to do.
Speaker 2: Stay here, Welcome back everyone, as we await the jury's verdict in the Brian Walsh trial. The jury was handed the opportunity to start deliberating earlier this afternoon, after we heard from both the prosecution and the defense give their closing arguments. The judge gave instructions. But the big difference from the charges Brian wash is facing versus what the jury can consider to convict him of has changed. At first, we just we were told, hey, he is being charged with first degree murder premeditated murder, and he had already pled guilty to the lesser charge that involve dismembering his wife's body and misleading investigators, so we knew he was already guilty on those and the only other charge that they were considering or pursuing was that first degree murder charge. Well, they decided to give the jury more than just two options, not guilty or guilty as charged. So now they can come back with a not guilty verdict. They can come back as guilty as charged murder in the first degree, or the jury can come back with guilty of murder in the second degree.
Speaker 1: MM, which, Kay, I don't know. If you have it in front of you, we can look it up right quickly.
Speaker 3: I was just going to do that.
Speaker 1: What was sentence that possibly carries and the distinction as well? There are distinctions of course, Uh was stavery target of one one I put? In Massachusetts yep, first and second degree murder. There is a difference, certainly time difference, and the premeditation wouldn't necessarily be there, so correct.
Speaker 2: So in Massachusetts, second degree murder is an unlawful killing committed with malice afterthought, so the intent to kill or cost various harm or extreme atrocity or cruelty, but without the deliberate premeditation required for first degree murder. A sentence conviction carries a life sentence with parole eligibility often after fifteen years.
Speaker 3: Court sets the exact minimum.
Speaker 2: Yes, that'd be a big difference to get second degree versus first degree murder.
Speaker 1: They have options. Now, what do you think you want to tell us? Yes, you know, what do you think?
Speaker 2: I believe after everything I've seen and heard, I believe the jury is going to come back with a second degree murder conviction. Why Because I think that using common sense and seeing the evidence from the searches, the use of the word murder, his inability to be trusted in terms of what he says, and the unbelievable, tiny, small minute chance that she died of something other than murder that would all weigh to me.
Speaker 1: There.
Speaker 2: I feel like he absolutely caused her death. I don't know how he did it, and I don't know that he premeditated it. I don't believe necessarily. I think it's very possible and maybe even probable that he did. I do think he saw text messages, he did google William Fasteau's name. I do think that he knew so, but I don't think that the state proved premeditation.
Speaker 1: There you go. So I have opinions, But as a juror, am I supposed to I'm supposed to go with what you showed. I am convinced of something because of what you proved to me, and I'm just not there on it. So I, while I was talking to you earlier, if the first degree murder, I said, this is gonna be a hunger. I'm gonna miss her do this all over again. Right, But they gave them an option. They gave them. Anybody who's having some doubts, with some questions like you and I and listening to the prosecution now has an option of going, Okay, my common sense tells me this dude probably did this, but they didn't prove it. But now this gives me an option to go, eh, a little win for you, a little win for you. Maybe he still gets punished because it seems like you do want to punish him, right, don't you feel that, like just there's about him? No, you don't see anything about him that makes you root for this guy in the trial. There's not just right, he's accused of something contructious. But yeah, I think they've given them an option now that.
Speaker 2: They could say, okay, so what do you think the jury is going to come back second?
Speaker 1: Agree?
Speaker 2: And you know what, that's a win for Brian Walsh because they were not the prosecution was not willing to offer him any lesser charge. And he tried because he pleaded guilty to the dismemberment charges and the misleading police charges, and the hope was that he could get a lesser charge for murder. The prosecution was like, absolutely so they had to take their chances at trial and this for him, other than obviously not guilty, would be the best case scenario. But if he gets a second degree murder conviction, that's a win for him and a win for his attorney.
Speaker 1: And like we say, we only need one on that jury, right, that could be one that's so overwhelmingly convinced that there is no way, given what the prosecution gave me, that you just need one.
Speaker 2: And what's so hard to know is how long you know, yes, you just need one. So how long is it going to take?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: Are they all on the same page now that they have this other lesser charge as an option, or are there going to be die hard folks there who think.
Speaker 3: He premeditated this, he did this? I want first degree?
Speaker 2: Will that complicate the negotiations that go on in a jurors room now that you have multiple options, you.
Speaker 1: Know that if I'm voting, the thing that would shock me is a first degree murderer.
Speaker 3: That would shock me.
Speaker 2: So you think either second degree murder or not guilty, you think you don't think they're going to come back with the first degree murder Charch.
Speaker 1: Now that's the only one that would absolutely shock me.
Speaker 2: I actually agree with you, babe. I would be shocked if they get their first degree murder charge after everything we saw and the quality of his defense team.
Speaker 1: Well, folks, this has been fascinating, but as we sit here, we are officially on verdict watch. I believe she's going to let them go home tonight and they'll have the weekend. So, man, can you imagine going home and sitting on this over the weekend.
Speaker 2: Come back on Monday, and you know, we'll see how quickly they can because they will have deliberated essentially for at least three hours, three or four hours today, so maybe they will have made some headway.
Speaker 3: Maybe we'll have some questions.
Speaker 2: On Monday, we can kind of get a sense of where they are in their deliberation process, but we will stay on top of it. Everyone, So thank you for listening to us. We always appreciate that. I'm Amy Roboch alongside TJ.
Speaker 3: Holmes. We'll talk to you soon. The catch and Taken