Speaker 1: Astro's closer, Josh Hater, has arrived back on FT.
Speaker 2: Josh, good to see you. Man. Has the season treating you?
Speaker 3: Hey good, We're healthy. That's the biggest thing. Good to see you, guys. Thanks for having me on here. Of course, dude, to take me through it. Yeah, of course health is number one for you. How has the rollercoaster ride.
Speaker 2: Been for the team this season?
Speaker 1: In I think what's been what anyone could call an unpredictable season right the way, especially the AL is shaking out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean we've been up and down. I think that's obviously you can see that when you watch games. But we were trying to figure out ways to win and ultimately that's all you can do throughout this season. Being in our division, as you know, it's a tight race. I mean there's not one team that's taken taking it away in the AL, I would say, besides the East, I would say, that's probably like the only division that's like set and not even set in stone. But it's like you got some guys or teams that are doing well. But for us, I mean it's a tight race. I mean we're two games up and I think as long as we continue to figure out ways to win and take it day by day. I think we're gonna you know, look up and hopefully be in a good position.
Speaker 4: Hey buddy, good to see you again.
Speaker 5: How difficult was the beginning of the year, not being able to be healthy and start with your guys and especially them not getting off to a good start. But how thankful are you that you really took your time made sure you were healthy before you got back, because you're back being as dominant as ever.
Speaker 4: Good to see you too, brother.
Speaker 3: I would say, you know, the the biggest thing obviously as a competitor, you want to be out there with the team. I mean, ultimately, if you're on the sideline and not being able to contribute, that's probably one of the worst feelings. But for me, it was what can I do to be right and when I come back, how can I stay and sustain the rest of the season, because you know, for me, that was my first time I've ever really been on the I L and kind of pairing those back to back for the end of the season. Then the beginning of this season, it was like, man, I really gotta, you know, get this right. But once I felt like I was in a good spot, and I was able to, uh, you know, get the more reps of you know, up downs and back to backs and just getting that recovery for my tissue. Once I felt like I was good and strong. I think that was ultimately where I was like, all right, this is gonna We're in a good spot. Let's let's keep moving on and you know, we'll figure it out throughout the season.
Speaker 6: You've stayed tremendously healthy through your career. When that when that crept up last year, were you like how long were you like I got to pitch through this, Like no way, this is this is anything out of the normal? Or was it like no way, I can't I go any farther than today.
Speaker 3: Honestly it was it was right after, right around the last game in New York, and I was getting warmed up, and it was like I felt something odd and I was like, man, it feels like my subscap needs to be released, and I'm like, I'm gonna push through it. We ended up scoring I think three or four runs on that Sunday game, so I didn't have to come in. I was actually worn up in the eighth to come in. We got out of it, warmed up again in the ninth we ended up popping a couple of runs and I'm like, I go back in. I'm like, dog, thank you, Like I appreciate y'all because I don't know, I would have probably been throwing eighty. But like I said, as a competitor, you got to figure it out. But after that that night, I came back in Monday and I'm like, yeah, something doesn't doesn't seem right to me, and wanted to get it all checked out. And that's kind of where we came with the capsule.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I do want to ask you a question. I know you don't have a ton of experience because you've been mostly healthy in your queer, But sometimes we make this judgment on guys, especially closers that are coming back from a rehab and you know they're getting hit around. How difficult it is it to pitch on a rehab assignment, especially as a closer, when you're normal, You're you're used to coming in to the game at the biggest moment, all this adrenaline, the games on the line. How difficult is it to just kind of check those boxes in triple A or double A.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would think ultimately it's the adrenaline rush. Right, you're not getting at adrenaline rush that you would in a big league game. But at the same time, for me, it was how's my fastball lines? How are my slider lines? Like in double A, I gave up a homer for with a fastball up, and I'm like, well, that's going to happen. But I know that if I'm going to continue to drill this spot, it's going to be beneficial for me in the long run. Like I'm not really paying attention too much to the results, but of how am I executing these pitches. And I realized that that specific pitch to the fastball didn't get to the inside out of the plate. So now that next outing, I'm like, all right, I'm only going to throw to the inside of this this plate, whether it's up or down, like this is where I'm staying. And then from there I work the slider off of that, and then I just try and figure out where I need to be. And then you know, if I give up three home runs, like ultimately, if I'm making my pitches great, like that's all I need to do and all I need to see, and if I can command the command the zone and be able to expand the zone. Yeah, that's gonna sit you right where you need to be. Then you add the adrenaline when you get to the big leagues, and then it's like, all right, well I already know my lines and I know where I need to be. So add that adrenaline. You're gonna hopefully get a little uptick and you know, be right where you need to be. I mean, obviously that's not always the case, but you know, you just like spring training, you want to put yourself in a good position when you start the season.
Speaker 1: Hey, for those of you that are on your phone, it's very often, or even if you don't use it much, you should check out your wireless bill and make sure that it is treating you well. It's summertime. You're feeling good, right, aj But are you spending too much on your wireless bill? And should Mintmobile get involved?
Speaker 7: Now?
Speaker 8: Someone that has two college aged kids got They're always on their phone, whether it's they're checking their snap, they're checking their DMS, they're checking their Twitter. I need fifteen dollars a month because I need unlimited quality coverage that Mintmobile provides.
Speaker 1: They get that new wireless plan for just fifteen bucks a month. Go to mintmobile dot com slash territory. That's mintmobile dot com slash territory. Cut your wireless bill to fifteen dollars a month at mintmobile dot com slash territory.
Speaker 6: That's it.
Speaker 1: No catch upfront payment of forty five dollars for three months, ninety dollars for six months, or one hundred eighty dollars for twelve month. Plan required fifteen dollars per month. Equivalent taxes and fees extra initial plan term only greater than fifty gigabytes may slow when network is busy. Includes up to twenty gigabyte hotspot capable device required, Availability, speed and coverage varies. CEE mintmobile dot com.
Speaker 7: Brother, it's been nine years since you've been to the bushes?
Speaker 6: How much has how much is Minor League Baseball changed since you were there? I think did you play in Colorado Springs? Was that where they were? Were they in Nashville?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Colorado Springs? Yeah? How much do you play well?
Speaker 3: I mean they got better food now, I mean I was in Double A and I'm like, man, they got some good spreads and they got a dietitian. She's whipping up you know, shakes and stuff like that. So I'm like, man, like, good for them, Like that's what we want ultimately, Like we want every level to you know, have that. And obviously that's what we fight for for the next generation, is to you know, be better than what we had. I mean, obviously we got them housing and paid more. So it's like for us, we were sleeping with six guys in the living room, and it's like that's just what you had to do to make it by And you know, obviously those stories are fun, but at the same time, like you don't want a guy trying to make it to the big leagues grinding like that.
Speaker 4: But I mean it's also part of it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, definitely, definitely, like it's fun stories, but you didn't need to talk about somebody sleeping on an air mattress with five other dudes in the same apartment. But so the question always is for me when dudes rehabbing, I think he threw nine games. Did you go five in double A, five and four and triple A something like that?
Speaker 4: Couldn't tell you it wasn't keeping track.
Speaker 7: Okay, but you were down there for a little bit.
Speaker 4: Did you did you get the boys?
Speaker 7: What's what's the play Now? You don't buy the boys spread?
Speaker 6: The boys already got good food, by your record, So what do you what do you get them?
Speaker 7: You got them a good I got them.
Speaker 4: I got them some sushi.
Speaker 3: Uh. In Double A, we got sushi, we got fried rice. All that that jazz hooked them up. I mean I was there for two weeks.
Speaker 4: Uh so that was nice.
Speaker 3: And then when we were in Triple A, I got there's a steakhouse up the road, got some fat steaks, probably one of my favorite sikes that I've had in a spread.
Speaker 4: But you know, did it did it big? Like that?
Speaker 3: I mean, dude, they're they're you know, taking care of me and and you know, just treating me, treating me well. So that's the least I can do. And you know, I feel like you can't. That's just like a tradition, like when you when you come down, you rehab, you take care of the people, and you know, that's ultimately what I was passed down to. So I felt like it was it was my time to pay it forward.
Speaker 7: Yeah, no, I get that.
Speaker 6: I get that, But now you're just paying for the spreads that the teams aren't going to pay for.
Speaker 3: So nah, no, nah, man, I mean it's better. It's a little bit better food, you know what I mean, Like it's better than what it was. But like, okay, I mean you know what I mean, Like you're still I mean, I think in tripa A they were getting they had chefs there that they were cooking in the house of the stadium. But I don't know, man, you get you get some fresh food from a restaurant, I mean, it just tastes different. It's in two Like they probably eat the same food every other home stand, so it's like.
Speaker 4: Change it up a little bit.
Speaker 7: I like that. I like that. Hey, first off, take care of the people, no doubt.
Speaker 5: Sorry, Hey, first off, congrats on your five hundredth career appearance. That's an incredible accomplishment. But I think a lot of the baseball world obviously knows, Josh Shader. I think a lot of the baseball world knows, Brian to Brad, you give me some love about some of these other guys in your bullpen that maybe the baseball world doesn't know about, because you guys have had a really nice back end of that bullpen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thank you for the five hundred's.
Speaker 3: It's it's hard to think about when one of our guys came up to me and say, congrats on five hundred, and I'm like, I feel like it should be a good thing. I don't know, it just it feels like a wild feat but yeah, it's just hopefully another five hundred more. But no, our bullpen man, we got some dogs and that's what you need in the in the pen, we got Okurt Seuss, bk Aj, day Low, and then we have some guys coming up and then EMI's in there. I mean, we just got a good group of dudes that you know, it's it's fun to be around, It's it's easy to go in like you know, it feels like obviously like you want that to be a brotherhood, right, and I mean for as much time as we spend together, Like that's what it feels like, and that's what ultimately you're trying to have each other's backs through everything, whether it's good, bad, whatever, So you know, just having those guys being able to joke around but also be serious at the same time.
Speaker 4: Like I mean, we.
Speaker 3: Obviously at the beginning of the season, some of these guys like Okra and BK and day Low, they were they were putting in some work. You know, AJ has been a fun one to watch and watch him grow out obviously as a starter in the minor leagues and coming up and kind of transitioning into that role role was it's it's fun to see.
Speaker 4: I mean, obviously, you know, you.
Speaker 3: Never know how you're gonna do with routine base I mean because being a starter, I mean, you have forty minutes before the game, you have four days in between, so it's like, what can I do to make sure I'm still getting my work in, But I'm still ready to pitch this day and maybe tomorrow.
Speaker 4: And for what.
Speaker 3: He's done, go on multiples leverage, you know, coming in second inning sometimes like those things matter. And when you're able to kind of just put your head down and do the right stuff, like ultimately that's going to put you in a good position long term.
Speaker 4: And then you know, that's the same position with the oak Man.
Speaker 3: I mean, he gets called in anytime, and he's ultimately the fire man. You know, I guess I have that name, but ultimately he's the man that puts out all the fires. And it's, uh, it's fun to see him do his thing, and uh, you know, just get the opportunity to uh just dominate.
Speaker 6: You're the fire chief. You're the one that shows up after all the smokes out. But like you make sure all the all the teaser crossing the eyes are dotted.
Speaker 7: But who's the good job clown? Who's the clown down there?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 3: He's a he's I wouldn't say he's a clown, but he's just funny.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 3: He's just the way he keeps us going. He's always got something for us to keep us entertained. And uh, you know, I think he's a good, good guy to have in our pen. And just he brings that group together and that's what you need.
Speaker 5: Hey, I got I got one more for you. I got one baseball question, one not baseball question. We know how the American League West is still up for grabs. You guys haven't played your best baseball right now. What do you kind of sink your teeth into? Is it the experience being battle tested with that group of guys. And then my second question is I think your property is in Iowa. I want to know about the deer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I think I think it's just playing good baseball, right, Like when you have situations where you can move runners around. I think when you can do that, that's when you're you're moving and you're gonna win more games. Ultimately, we haven't been able to do that consistently.
Speaker 4: But I mean we we have.
Speaker 3: We have the guys to do it. We have the team, the team that can you know, push this thing. And I think you know, once you get on that role and you've seen it in baseball where you you hop on that train, you know, September and you move it into the playoffs, like anything could happen.
Speaker 4: So ultimately, I.
Speaker 3: Think it's hold and strong with what we're doing, but obviously there's room for improvement. I think there's always room for improvement. You know, you go through one hundred and sixty two games, you're gonna have the ups and you're gonna have the downs, and it's it's really you know, trying to catch that up right at the right time, especially at the end of this year. So for us, it's it's keep our head down and do.
Speaker 4: What we do best. I mean, we we.
Speaker 3: Have a solid core, and I think you know, when you get those guys moving, it's a hard lineup to navigate. And then second on your second question, I do have some property up north, and I've been crushing the trailcam pictures. We got some, We got some big boys out there, So I need to start shooting my bow getting that ready. But no, I'm excited, but I can't look to to ahead. Gotta focus on the baseball part of it, and then hopefully, hopefully we get this parade and then be able to go out there and sit and stand and relax a little bit.
Speaker 1: For the families out there looking for a new path to help your child succeed, take a look at K twelve Powered Schools. K twelve offers tuition free, accredited online public education for students in kindergarten through twelfth grade. It's all in a setting that works for your family, and K twelve has been around. They've been a leader in online education for over twenty five years, serving over three million families with flexible education options tailored to each child's needs, interests, and goals for the future. K twelve's dedicated teachers are trained in virtual instruction and they provide real time support. Hey, we've heard Todd father on here talk about how his kids have gone through homeschooling and it's really helped them. For a family that is very much on the move during his playing career. So you can see how K twelve powered schools can help unlock your child's full potential and roll online today at K twelve dot com slash foul. That's the letter K the number twelve dot com slash f o u l K twelve dot com slash foul.
Speaker 7: You can practice in the bullpen. You can practice.
Speaker 6: You can get your mind off it by getting that getting that crossbow, because I know you're not. I know you're not pulling anything back too far. You probably got the crossbows you're able to get.
Speaker 4: In that crazy Oh, we can't hear you.
Speaker 7: We can't hear you right now. We know what kind of hunt you do. Uh?
Speaker 6: Did you see you? You watch a lot of baseball. Did you see Pete Alonzo's foul ball yet last night?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 4: I missed that, but I heard.
Speaker 3: I caught you guys talking about it when I was coming in, and I didn't see it. I don't know if you want to put if you got it up, you can pull it up just so I can see it, uh.
Speaker 4: And give you my my rundown.
Speaker 3: But I did hear about the automatic like the foul line, and I think we should do it like tennis. I mean to your point, like lasers or whatever we have. We have track man or hawkeye that can do this stuff. And it's like those foul lines aren't moving, so why not do like tennis?
Speaker 2: You know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Like tennis literally has it to where it's if it's hitting that line, it's in.
Speaker 7: Did you see, let me see it.
Speaker 4: Let's run. Yeah, yeah, I got it.
Speaker 7: You got that fair or foul.
Speaker 4: The top one, so is the right one where it's falling.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the the left one, the left one is obviously where it's going.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, for sure, I got that.
Speaker 3: Fair ball for sure, even when you're pitching, I mean hopefully not, I mean yeah, I mean yeah, if I'm pitching, I'm like, that's a foul ball.
Speaker 4: No, I mean I mean that looks that looks like a fair ball to me.
Speaker 3: I mean because you got to think the left side of the of the pole is is is the line, and then the right side is in play. So if it's even halfway on that pole, I mean it's a fair ball.
Speaker 4: I mean that's my take on it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, no, for sure, for sure.
Speaker 6: Is there something else that that you would like to see, Like if obviously it came up last night, so that's why we're talking about it. Is there something else that you'd be like, I gotta I gotta see this change. It seems like so much common sense that we should be able to take care of this at every ballpark.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I think it's the foul lines, right like, I mean, it's the I mean, that's as simple as it gets. But I mean, I don't have anything that comes to mind. I don't, but you know, obviously, with the topic coming up, I think that's an easy fix you can I mean, even if you put a camera down the flag the foul poles and you just run it right down the line. I mean, I feel like that could also work. I don't know, but hey, I'm just here to play baseball and throw strikes.
Speaker 7: That's fair. That's fair.
Speaker 1: Hey, Josh one for you about the trade deadline, I know, I mean, I don't want to go back too much on you know, when you were traded to the uh or traded away from the Brewers, But when you look at the team now and how much success that they've had, do you feel like it can be frustrating for the guys there when they don't really push the chips in at the trade deadline, Like, did you guys have that back then?
Speaker 2: They're so consistently.
Speaker 1: Good, but you know, just the strategy they have is to not really go for the A listers at that time.
Speaker 2: What do you think about it?
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean, we I felt like eighteen was a solid year for us and we did get some pieces. I think at the same time, it's they have such a young group of guys that come up and just do really well, and I would hate for, you know, those guys' long term pieces to leave for maybe a rental that you know, you don't know if that rental is going to impact your team in a big way or not. So it's definitely a gamble. But I do think what they're doing over there, and it's been like that since I've been there, Like they have figured it out on how to develop pitching and obviously the hitting side of it as well. But I think I think the biggest thing in baseball, it's like you want, you want the superstars, you want, but you know it's it's more so I think keeping the guys that have done well throughout instead of getting rid of them. I think that's the biggest thing, like, you know, you got you got guys coming on the free agency in a few years, and it's like, well, let's take the advantage and get these get prospects so then you can build it, which is you know, one of the reasons why they're the way they are right now is these young guys. They get them through trades and then they come up and flourish and you know, help their team then. So it's just a different outlook, I think. But ultimately, you know, that's just the way they play the game and you can't really hate them for that. But at the same time, it's you know, you want to see the superstars.
Speaker 4: Come in and be able to make a push.
Speaker 3: But I felt like when we were there, we had we had good opportunities to do it. You know, obviously maybe one big piece could have helped, but to that point, it's like you don't know if that big piece comes in. I mean, when you get traded, it's it's a big difference, you know what I mean, Like you're you're lifting your life up, You're moving right away to a new city, to a new team, getting in, you know, housing all that family, especially if you have family moving them out, make sure they're taken care of. So I think there's a lot of moving parts that people don't really understand that could play a role in how guys perform.
Speaker 6: Josh, they got a big piece in twenty eighteen.
Speaker 7: They made a huge trade for me. Okay, that was the huge megapiece, you know that.
Speaker 6: But my question, we were joking, We were joking this morning about a picture that I sent you about your phone in your pocket.
Speaker 7: It was your scattered report.
Speaker 6: But you said, you said you got to keep your phone close to you because of mock drafts. Are the Astros big into fantasy football? And do you have any good like trash talking or like how are you guys gonna pick your your draft order anything like that from this year?
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're working on it.
Speaker 3: We're a little behind, but we got we got our roster assembled for the guys that are playing.
Speaker 4: We are getting there.
Speaker 3: We have some I mean, we've kind of moved around the past three years on who's been been playing, but we got a solid group this year. Trash talking is definitely a must, especially when you get some guys making some crazy trades.
Speaker 4: But yeah, it's good.
Speaker 3: We have the draft in New York, so coming up, so hopefully you know, like I said, I had it in my back pocket. Make sure I can run some mock drafts. Make sure you know I'm rolling right.
Speaker 7: Is there?
Speaker 6: Are you able to tell us how much it costs to get into the Houston Astros Players Only League?
Speaker 4: M you're gonna have to pay for that?
Speaker 7: Okay? Okay? Can you give us a.
Speaker 6: What is it more than what you could have afforded when you were on the league minimum?
Speaker 3: It's twenty five hundred. I feel like I could have heard that. It's not hateful. It's a good pay.
Speaker 6: Blue Ball can get in there. You can get some of the younger guys in there, but then you got to bring everybody boys, some of you big boys can flex.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we just don't.
Speaker 3: I think the biggest thing is like when you get these leagues that are like eight to ten grand, it's like, for what I mean, it's just crazy because then you start stressing. It's because it's like it's I mean, twenty five hundred's a lot of money. But at the same time, it's like, man, like you can get everybody on the team involved, and like that's what you want. You want to you want to be able to trash talk in the offseason and be able to come back and spring training and you know, obviously hopefully you're not the last the last person at the bottom, but hey, that's that's what you're fighting for first place. But it was crazy last year we had yeah, we had a guy Spencer. He was like I want to say, he started out oh and four, oh and six and.
Speaker 4: Ended up coming back and winning the whole thing. But so we do we do head to head and then you do.
Speaker 3: I forget exactly how it works, but you do head to head, so you can potentially win two games in one week.
Speaker 4: It's it's like there's like the average of the league.
Speaker 3: Points, so then if you score over that league average, you get a win. If you don't, then you get a law. So potentially you could go zero and two right off the rip.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: I like that because otherwise you could get you could have like third best team and just keep getting matched up the wrong weeks and then be terrible. So that's a cool way to kind of hedge it.
Speaker 2: I'm a fan.
Speaker 1: And the number, yeah, that's a fair number. I've heard some crazy high numbers where you like, is everyone okay with that participation level? For MLB measured salary like twenty five hundred is that's nice? Whoever too knows what they're doing. Agreed, agreed. Thanks for the insight. People like to know about that stuff.
Speaker 2: Josh. Good to hear from you, man, Thanks for joining us. Appreciate the time, dude. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Great seeing you guys. Appreciate every time I get to come on and hang out.
Speaker 2: We love it. Thank you, Good luck, man. We'll see you soon.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, brother y'all take care