Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: Bloomberg Surveillance is about conversation. That's the way we do it. Right now, joining us with our question or interview of the day. Steven Englander with Earn Credit the standard Charter bank, definitive at City Group for years on cross rates, absolutely known globally for the relationships and currency show. I want to cut to the chase and go back to Yale. Okay, you at Bob Evanson is your faculty advisor at Yale. Did you ever go to the Yale Harvard tailgate games that were legendary with Evanson?
Speaker 3: No, but he did send me to the Pesol Fundeau in Brazil to look at their agricultural experiment stations and see what they were doing.
Speaker 2: His was granular data, which is the way Steve Englander rolls.
Speaker 4: What take the Yale.
Speaker 2: Granular study that Colls commissioned, Schill Earn all that and bring it over to how you make a call of fifty basis points September.
Speaker 3: I think the trick is to try and understand everything that's in the market and ask, you know, why does the market think what it's thinking? What is the market logic? And then say, do I have a right to disagree with it? Do I think that there's something I know that the market doesn't know? And how comfortable am I with it?
Speaker 2: Let's start on the dual mandate of inflation. Let's go back to Evanson, giant of Minnesota and teaching it Yale iconic and that's the American farmer. The images this weekend of farmers in Arkansas flat on their back, how pernicious, Stephen Englander is the inflation now in America?
Speaker 3: I think the perception is quite strong, and there is a justification. I'd say this that the if you look at some of the adjustments for technological progress, our computers are much better, but we don't use that much of their capacity. So you know, some of the softness that we sometimes see in inflation is sort of added on by the bl It's completely legitimate, but it's not what the price of coffee is. What you know Arkansas farmers or inputs from Markansas farmers.
Speaker 2: Steven Anglander, where there's the standard charter bank, we are commercial trees through the market opening and well into this nine o'clock hour.
Speaker 4: David Gurray in for Paul Sweeney.
Speaker 5: David, you mentioned that you're sort of looking at all of these market factors as you come up with that forecaster. What was it that led you to make this call? Was it the simple variable of just the jobs numbers that we got, or were there was there some other mechanism or variable that made you feel confident in that.
Speaker 3: Well, you also have to try and read the mind of the FED and the in sentence in the market and so on, and they think, you know, yeah.
Speaker 1: You know, I actually think it's the right thing to do.
Speaker 3: And one question I asked myself is, say they had known the data for the last four months, nonfarm pay rolls last four months as averaged twenty seven thousand, and because of the bias that you get from the birth death adjustment, we think even that's overstated. Would they have cut? And you know the answer is yeah, entire mind that they would have cut. And so we think that they're not going to commit themselves to making a series of cuts, but they're going to say, look, you know, the numbers are softer than we expected. We're reading the numbers and they justify cutting, but also a bit of catchup.
Speaker 5: We're in this moment where the integrity of government data is being cast into question more than it has been, certainly by personnel movements, but also as you listen to the present's economic advisors suggesting that they're not capturing the labor economy in a holistic sense. How does that complicate your job as a private sector economist who's looking at the economy. Does it raise doubts in your mind?
Speaker 2: How?
Speaker 5: How does it sort of change the work that you're doing if that's coming about.
Speaker 3: Well, we actually spend a lot of time looking at the data and trying to understand if they're legitimate or not. Like last year, one of our big papers, and I think we were one of the first, was sort of integrating undocumented immigrants and kind of saying, there's a reason the pyerials are so strong because they're getting work permits and getting picked up by NFP.
Speaker 4: I want to take a little bit of theory here.
Speaker 2: The Yale a Budget Lab at Yale has been absolutely brilliant in teaching us about this legislation and about tariffs as well. I personally saw terriffs this weekend in Canna paint. When I'm fifteen percent out of the blue, Steve Englander, I'm in the camp. David Kelly, I want to say at Putnam at JP Morgan David Kelly writing about the income effect as well, we're all focused on substituting. Lisa's going to go to Costco. She's not gonna buy coffee, She's going to buy Sanka Blogony to me right now, what's going on as a major income effect affected by purchasing power? This goes back to a guy named Hicks, folks, a guy named Slutsky. But the answer is we're being a hit with a new purchasing power that's evaporating.
Speaker 3: I think that's correct, and you know a lot of people understand it. You know, in terms of oil prices, right you know you were paying forty to fill up your tank.
Speaker 1: Now you pay eighty.
Speaker 3: It means one, let's trip with the kids to McDonald in the week. With tariffs and import prices, it's more spread out and less dramatic, but it's the same kind of impact. All of a sudden, everything you see is a little bit more expensive and you have to make decisions and prioritize your spending.
Speaker 2: Feel the dreams will fifty basis points ease our pain ultimately?
Speaker 3: I think yes, And let me be clear, because we think that they do fifty and then they pause because GDP numbers aren't bad. Productivity looks like it's actually pretty good.
Speaker 4: You sure Sharma said that in the Ft today and the.
Speaker 3: You know, you look at the labor numbers, as you know, they're really mediocre. Its sluggish, softish. But you know, as you know, I was at Lehman's in two thousand and eight, this is not a two thousand and eight type of labor market. That's not a twenty April twenty twenty labor market. It's a mediocre, sluggish, poor labor market where you know you probably should get closer to neutral, but nothing is falling off.
Speaker 5: The Chairman has talked about the oddness of that and the challenge of having a market like you describe. How much closer are we to figuring out why it is that way and why it continues to be Is it's just the simple sense of ambiguity about policies and their effects, Is it? As you hear from Scott Bessant or Kevin Hassett, You know, things will take time to equilibrate or work themselves out. What do you make of the labor market the state in which it's in right now?
Speaker 3: Well, look if I want to criticize the fad, I'd say that they spend ninety percent of their time worrying about the man shocks. And here we are talking about productivity shocks, talking about labor market shocks, and there's a lot of ambiguity in terms of how you interpret numbers when they come in because you don't know if they're moving, you know what shock is moving them. So I think that that's the big issue that leaves things uncertain, and you know, uncertain about how bad things are. So I think that you know, in some ways, it argues that you know, you kind of know the direction, so you make a move, but you'd be very cautious. I mean, what if we're in nineteen ninety seven.
Speaker 5: Is stagflation a word that is bandied about in the standard charted offices? Is it something that you were thinking about or worried about at this moment.
Speaker 1: It's always a worry.
Speaker 3: But you know, with labor markets so soft, you know, and spending going to be soft, I don't think labor is going to be able to push wages up, you know.
Speaker 1: So I think that you know, irrespected.
Speaker 3: In the sixties, he's so Yale, irrespectful, irrespected of the productivity story.
Speaker 1: I think that the you know, uh yeah, Dart.
Speaker 2: With a brilliant essay this weekend, and he goes back to nominal GDP, and I get it. It's a conundrum. Do we have terrible economic growth but still buoying inflation? Stagflation is doctor Ger talks about here, Stephen Englander. Is the real risk here that we get this wrong and we have dampen growth and quiescent inflation where nominal GDP dips below five percent, ginormous number dips below Dare I say four percent or worse? Er?
Speaker 4: Is that in one of your probabilities? You know?
Speaker 3: I think that you know, we all talk about AI all day long, and I think that that's going to be the real decisor for how the economy breaks that if it turns out that we're, you know, partly because of AI or other factors, that productivity growth is strong, right, everything's going to be fun.
Speaker 4: But the FED doesn't have that luxury.
Speaker 2: We can talk about it, we can go yeah, yeah, bring in Simon Johnson up at MIT. Rogueoff was on the other day. It's a bunch of bow type of stuff. The FED doesn't have that luxury. Do they to ponder AI in productivity?
Speaker 1: Well, A, they should, But I know.
Speaker 4: Schoomberg prescriptive of should. I thought Crewman was.
Speaker 2: On once and I couldn't get him to say the dreaded s word should Englanders doing it?
Speaker 4: What should got to do with it?
Speaker 3: But I think you know, in practice, given the absence of knowledge, it just means that you you sort of go slowly in the direction that you think that data are telling you. I mean, there's no straw here with which to make bricks, and you know you can critique the productivity data very easily as well. So I think that they sort of you know, you take a step, you see what happens, Take another step, see what happens. If something bad happens, you stop, or you step back a little bit. If it looks good, you keep going.
Speaker 2: I want you to jump in here and finish out the interview. We're having so much funnier folks with the academics of doctor England or I really want to emphasize some of this stuff is incredible dynamics moving parts. David Off of that is this dreaded word ambiguity, which is we really don't know where we are or what's going to happen?
Speaker 5: Continue will I will ask you to indulge me and do a little work for us here as we look ahead to this week of data. So we have these revisions, I'm curious how you're thinking about them, But also we had priceding goals beyond Friday, saying he wants to see the inflation data this week. That matters to him. We've got to look at the inflation side too, He says, how important is that to you? So how should be thinking or framing the data releases that we're going to get this week.
Speaker 3: I think the important thing about the benchmark revisions is we think they're going to be significant, maybe seven hundred and fifty to one million down. And the important things there is there's no reason to think that things have gotten better since the March of twenty twenty five as far as inflation goes, I think the real issue you know, yeah, so you know my shirt price went up because there's a tariff on shirts.
Speaker 1: I mean, you don't know how to gauge it.
Speaker 3: If it turns out that you know, say, services inflation is heating up, stuff that you know is not related to tariffs is heating up, then there's a problem.
Speaker 2: What happens to the animal spirit? You mentioned seven fifty to one million, most people are below that. I'd say four hundred and five. I mean Steve Englander's out in a linear folks, with what we're gonna see tomorrow.
Speaker 4: We'll have complete.
Speaker 2: Coverage of this and Steven Angler, what does it mean for people's retirement plans? Slash the stock market? If we get Anglander rate cuts? Is that good or bad for equities?
Speaker 3: You know, a little bit of bad news is probably pretty good for equities because it calms the market down and it sort of says, look, if if you get your company right, cost the capital isn't going to be an issue for you. I think if things are really falling apart, like you know twenty twenty or two thousand and eight, then you know, bad news is really bad news. But in many circumstances, a little bit of bad news is actually good news for equities. And I'd say this is that the equity you know, you sort of say wire equity is so strong when when everybody thinks things are a mush, it sort of makes you look at the productivity element again, kind of saying, well, wages aren't going up, but it looks like GDP is fairly strong. What's left. It's not going into Texas. There's only profits.
Speaker 2: Bill from London emails in, he's with a standard charter bank and says, ask Steven what it means for the rest of the world.
Speaker 4: How about a standard charter.
Speaker 2: Question this morning for Bill Winters? What does all this Anglander talk mean for Singapore, for London and the rest of the standard charter world?
Speaker 1: In some ways it's actually okay. I mean there are two elements.
Speaker 3: One is that if you look at the AI game, if that's the game, you sort of say, okay, US seems to be on the game. China might be in the game. A bunch of other countries trying to get in Europe, you know.
Speaker 1: Right not there having some conferences.
Speaker 3: On the other hand, you know, the say US GDP or say the FED cuts by the fifty basis points.
Speaker 1: That's everybody else.
Speaker 3: His interest rates go down by thirty to fifty bases points, and that's far more important to them than sort of saying, well, oh, you know, if Englander's right, you know, they're forty your jobs, so they're not going to buy a Singapore export. The fact that they can get their cost of capital and the risk premium is down.
Speaker 1: They think is more important to the rest of them.
Speaker 2: Does Bill Winters know that Standard Charter Bank is up eighty nine points sixty seven percent in the past twelve months because of Steve Englander.
Speaker 3: Well, I think he can add like four or five decimal points, but I'm not From from your mouth to his ears, honored.
Speaker 2: We'd love to get a phone call with you tomorrow on your busy day, Steve Englander when we get this data. Doctor Englander is with a Standard Charter Bank and they're just thrilled to give you extended conversations there. That's what Bloomberg likes to do for Global at Wall Street