Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio, the George Washington Broadcast Center, Jack Armstrong and Joe, Ketty.
Speaker 2: Armstrong and Katty and He Armstrong and Yetty.
Speaker 1: I miss when my kids were younger in Saint Patrick's Day was a big deal and they'd wake up in the morning and a leprechaun had snuck into our home and your native green in the toilet and left a trail of glitter.
Speaker 2: Behind for some reason.
Speaker 3: I'm not exactly sure what went on there, but they loved it. It was really, really fun.
Speaker 1: We had leprechaun traps, which is cruel, yes, and really brutal. Yes, they'll always get away. They would always get away. They would take the gold chocolate coins and get away, the clever little bastards. We caught one once. He still works for us. I work it the green. Did you read about that? You an official who's just prosecuted for slavery? No, yeah, later on in the show or in the hour. We don't have time now, but yeah, but the green urine was a real Armstrong innovation.
Speaker 2: We did not do that at my house.
Speaker 3: We heard it from some babysitter or whatever. But yeah, he got that glitter like in footprints somehow, and disgusting all the way around. But anyway, happy to see Patrick's day.
Speaker 1: Oh I should keep moving, but me incontinence is bothering me.
Speaker 2: Maybe I'll just stop and relieve myself. Oh boy.
Speaker 1: So this is one of the most fascinating things I've read in the last several years. It is shockingly from the Atlantic, which is just suffocatingly lefty these days. It was written by a fellow by the name of Yannie apple Bomb why Americans stopped moving houses and why that's a very big problem. Actually Yannie might be a woman. I don't know, probably is. But the subtitle of it is how Progressives Froze the American Dream, And I was surprised to see that on the cover, but I dove in. I'm gonna hit you with parts of it. Jack comment like as much as you like, obviously. So the lead is the idea that people should be able to choose their own communities instead of being stuck where they are born. Is a distinctly American innovation. It is the foundation for the country's prosperity and democracy, and it just may be America's most profound contribution.
Speaker 2: To the world. I have been saying this for years.
Speaker 1: You have in California, the Midwest, all kinds of places I've lived, was settled by people who thought they could get a better deal here. No society has ever been as mobile as the United States once was. No society has even come close. In the nineteenth century, friends, the heyday of American mobility. Roughly a third of all Americans changed addresses each year.
Speaker 2: Wow a third each year.
Speaker 1: They quote a couple of commentators of the day, the American is devoured with a passion for locomotions.
Speaker 2: At one French, he cannot stay in one place.
Speaker 1: Americans moved far more often, over longer distances, and to greater advantage than did people in the lands from which they had come. They described how in Europe that you just you stayed on the land, you stayed in the town. People were very suspicious of outsiders.
Speaker 2: We'll get to that.
Speaker 1: But over the past fifty years, this engine of American opportunity has stopped working. Americans become less likely to move from one state to another, to move within a state, or even to switch residences within a city. In the nineteen sixties, now remember it was about one in three in the eighteen hundreds. The nineteen sixties, about one out of every five Americans moved in any given year, down from a one in three in the nineteenth century, but a frenetic rate nonetheless, so one in five in the nineteen sixties. In twenty twenty three, only one in thirteen Americans moved. That's unbelievable, the sharp decline in geog You go ahead, sorry. Joe and I both moved a lot for our radio career, and I don't think it's shocking to say the success of this project.
Speaker 2: Depended on it.
Speaker 3: Wouldn't it have never happened without the willingness to like move to that town, than to that town, to then that town for opportunity.
Speaker 1: And probably it's a good time for a disclaimer. We both were also raised by people who saw their fortune in various ways and moved as necessary for career. My dad was in the military for a while and then in the publishing industry, and we moved to fair Mounta until we finally settled in Chicagoland. But so we we can feel and appreciate that side of the argument, not that it's an argument for see somebody who's lived, you know, hometown, Mom and dad and the cousins are always around, you have giant Sunday dinners together on that sort of thing. Yeah, I get a tear in my eye thinking about how wonderful that would be. But like I've said many times, everything has a cast and a benefit. You just have to decide, you know what's for you anyway. Reading on from Applebaum's piece, the sharp decline in geographic mobility is the single most important social change in the past half century, although other shifts have attracted far more attention. In that same span, fewer Americans have started new businesses and fewer Americans have switched jobs. From nineteen eighty five to twenty fourteen, the share of people who have become entrepreneurs fell by half.
Speaker 2: Wow, that is seriously troubling.
Speaker 1: And then he gets into more Americans end up worse off than their parents. I think part of that is coming down from the high of the post WW two American dominance that was just going to be hard to avoid. But then he gets into how church membership is down by a third since nineteen seventy, as is the share Americans who socialized several times a week. Membership in any kind of group is half down by half.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, the earth rates keep falling.
Speaker 3: One interesting aspect of the not being tied to your local church and not socializing, seems like that would make you more mobile as opposed to less mobile. If you're socializing and have a social network, that would be hard to leave behind. If you don't socialize, what the hell do you care? Go to the next down? They got a better job.
Speaker 1: The other side of that coin is really interesting, and we were going to get to that in a bit, but I'll skip to it. And I can relate to this because Judy and I relocated four years ago something like that, and it makes you more likely to want to go out and meet people. Oh interesting, put up with the discomfort of going to a new church or joining a club or you know, just for me, jumping on a tea time that had one opening and introducing myself and meeting people because you want to make connections.
Speaker 2: And indeed that's what they found sociologically. That's interesting. You know, it's kind of counterintuitive.
Speaker 1: It made people more sociable the fact that we moved all the time. And then there's an interesting political aspect to this, and I don't want to get on a partisan thing because that's not what this about.
Speaker 2: This is about. I will just say that people who.
Speaker 1: Felt anger and frustration at their financial situation tended to vote more for Trump than Hillary, for instance, But the number of those people who lived within a two hour drive of where they grew up or had never even left their hometown was way more huge.
Speaker 2: It's a huge gap.
Speaker 1: The number of people who said I'm unhappy with my financial life in my career, they were wildly disproportionately people who had not relocated to seek their fortune.
Speaker 3: No, I don't want to make this partisan at all, because I don't think it needs to be. But we have been saying on this show for years, you know, broadcasting out of California, people talking about how expensive it is to live in San Francisco.
Speaker 2: Well, then move some place cheaper. That's what I always did.
Speaker 3: If I couldn't afford to live somewhere, I moved some place cheaper, rather than expect the government or somebody to come in and make it cheaper so you can stay.
Speaker 2: Why why do.
Speaker 3: Other taxpayers owe you the ability to stay in a particular down That's.
Speaker 1: Nuts, right, right, And just you know, you live your life the way you see fit, and I will not judge you unless you come.
Speaker 2: With heart at tax money and I'll tell you to your jack.
Speaker 1: I mean, we were very, very successful our first job together in Wichita, but we knew economically speaking, we had topped out and needed to go, you know, seek our fortune elsewhere.
Speaker 2: But a lot of people do that.
Speaker 1: Anyway, this I wanted to get to this part and then there's more on the general topic.
Speaker 2: To come and trust me. It's so interesting.
Speaker 1: You've heard the expression moving day, right, I mean people throw it around a little bit.
Speaker 2: It's funny.
Speaker 1: It's a term in golf. It's like the midway point of a tournament. You got a chance to move off, blah blah blah. And so I'm familiar with the term in that way. How do we How did I not know this? How did all of us not know this? The great holiday of America, when it was so nomadic, was called Moving Day, observed by renters and landlords throughout the nineteenth century and well into the twentieth with a giant game of musical houses. Moving Day, they write, was a festival of new hopes and new beginnings, of shattered dreams and shattered crockery, quite as recognized today as Christmas. Or the fourth of July, wrote a Chicago newspaper in eighteen eighty two.
Speaker 3: I as much as I read history, have never come across this.
Speaker 2: I know it's crazy.
Speaker 1: It was primarily an urban thing, although many rural communities and suburbans kind of had their own sort, and it varied. It might be April first or October first, but May first was by far the most popular. Literally everybody who is renting a home, and the vast majority of people rented. Home ownership was way way lower than it is right now. The vast majority of people would move on Moving Day every year, or almost every year. Nothing quite so astonished visitors from abroad as the spectacle of thousands upon thousands of people picking up and swapping homes in a single day. For months before moving day, Americans prepared for the occasion. Tenants gave notice to the landlords, a received word of the new rent. Then followed a frenzied period of house hunting, as people, generally women, scouted for a new place to live that would in some respect improve upon the old quote. They want more room, or they want as much room for less rent, or they want a better location, or they want some convenience not heretofore enjoyed. The Topeka Daily Capital summarized, these were months of general anticipation. Cities and towns were alive with excitement. So if you've ever seen one of those street scenes from back in the day where everybody's got like their junk piled on wagons, that was moving day.
Speaker 3: And the point of putting that in the article, obviously is to just point out that the cultural attitude about moving was so much different. And as we've said, every part of this country, people coming out west, starting in the very very eastern part of the country, and the colonies and spreading. Do you know when when the wild West was Ohio and Kentucky and then going further and further for a better opportunity. And now, not to be too disparaging of various industries and people, because I understand, like Joe said, I fully understand why it'd be awesome to stay in your hometown where you grow up and have your kids go to the same school and you know all your family and friends. I god, I would love that. But the idea that coal mining goes away and you're gonna stay in the same dead town that's never gonna.
Speaker 2: Come back is nuts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's nuts in terms of the history of this country, or you know, working for General Motors in whatever town in Michigan or whatever.
Speaker 3: If something's gone away, then you gotta move to a different town where the new industry is. That's what everybody has done forever in this country. And yeah, pointing out that that's gone away, and now we're like Europe, where you do plan to stay in the town your family is from for generations, which again I understand the appeal.
Speaker 2: Sure. Yeah.
Speaker 1: One charming anecdote from this which I can't find, but I can paragraph a paraphrase. They mentioned that in Europe, indeed, you stay in the same place, very insulur, and that newcomers would simply cause a more subdivision of the goods and services and land available there. So newcomers were like a bad thing, whereas in America it was such a constant that the idea of a stranger went from a threat to literally Americans would say, hello, stranger, you're not from around here, are you? And it was not a term of suspicion, it was a term of greeting. That's really interesting, and I don't think good for the country. You have any comment on that, text line four one, five, two nine five KFTC. Welcome to some new listeners on some new stations in Phoenix Field, Santa Maria, Las Vegas, Cape May, New Jersey. Five news stations starting today. Welcome to the Armstrong and Getty Show. If you don't like.
Speaker 3: It, hang around longer. Maybe it, you know, grows on you like a fungus or something. It's a little different. Yeah, we got this sex supposed to be. It's not purpose. We got this text since it's Saint Patrick's Day. What were your old on air names on Saint Patrick's Day? We were patio furniture, and then what was the other one? Patio furniture and Pat mcgroin. Pat mcgro was not in good taste at all, and I disapproved. Now you need to jump out of the heros. No time for fun.
Speaker 1: I have scholarly studies of American moving patterns to finish.
Speaker 2: Ashually.
Speaker 1: We'll never finish because like everything in the Atlantic, this is forty thousand words long. But it's so interesting if you're just tuning in and grabbed the previous segment via podcast Armstrong and getting on demand. But so, who's to blame for the change in American life that we used to move all the time and pursue our fortune, just everybody did all the time, except for you, like your old money Easterners. Well, interestingly, you can name I'm sorry, you can blame a woman named Jane Jacobs who was a writer and thinker in the twentieth century, And in nineteen sixty one she wrote a book called The Death and Life of Great American Cities. And ironically, she and her husband had bought a place in the West Village in New York and changed a storefront and apartment into a big house, and so she wrote this incredibly eloquent book that was a huge hit about how cool cities were, how the a shop was right there on the corner and they would be delivering laundry, and people would stop on the street corners.
Speaker 2: And they were just very alive.
Speaker 1: And she didn't realize that the reason they were really alive is that cities were constantly reinventing themselves to deal with whatever the needs were of the humans at that time. Like if you had huge quote unquote tenements, remember we heard how terrible tenements are. Well, those that was cheap housing for recent immigrants, and people would sink their roots in America, get their job skills up, get a better job, and leave the tenements, and new immigrants would come into them. But so she fell in love with a particular moment of time in New York, and ignoring really her own premise, she and her neighbors, who are college educated, really smart people, figured out, Hey, we can badger and lobby city hall so that nothing can ever change these neighborhoods that we think are so great just the way they are, And nimbiism was born, and was then and is now mostly progressive people with money saying nothing can change because I like it the way it is, And then the writer of this piece gets into solutions for it. But it has a great deal to do with falling out of love with stability in cities and urban areas in particular, and falling out of love with bureaucrats deciding how everything should look and coming up with master plans, because the free market of people coming and going and moving and buying and selling and renting it moves far, far too quickly, especially these days.
Speaker 3: If you didn't hear those stats, Joe had last segment about how much it has changed in a century or less of people being willing to move to seek their fortune. It's shocking. I mean, so that's got to have huge ramifications to you know, if you're worried about inequality or inequity or whatever you want to call it, If you're going to stay in some town where the industry died and you're gonna stay there anyway, you ain't gonna do well.
Speaker 1: Right, Right, It's amazing to me people can't see that, or they don't care, and or we've designed a system where they can they just get on welfare or disability is a right, huge aspect of this, right.
Speaker 3: And if politicians would stop going to those towns and saying we're gonna bring back the coal industry and that sort of thing, that would help, right Armstrong.
Speaker 1: And Geddy, I would start pushing time running down densely.
Speaker 4: Hot the war missed it, rebound, startamire, Arizona's.
Speaker 2: Got a chance, starta buyer, no check down the seven seconds you'd see the time Wittenberg, the that was the young time backson Co. Yeah, you're way back to that one, Hanson. That was awesome.
Speaker 3: When North Carolina State upset Houston way back in the day Jesus forty years ago, anyway, March madness getting underway. Brackets came out yesterday, and if you're if anybody's betting in the office, I will be calling the FBI.
Speaker 2: And I do not put up with a legal gambling.
Speaker 3: So we didn't talk government shut down last week because we like having listeners and we've had the experience of they never amount to anything. Most of the time they get settled before the deadline, and even if they don't, whatever last a couple hours or a day or whatever.
Speaker 2: Anyway, the Beltway is.
Speaker 1: Like a big high school and the shutdown wrangling is almost always like high school gossip gets settled one way or another, and yeah, you're right, But the interesting is no one's life significantly.
Speaker 3: The interesting one on this is that it really revealed the problems the Democratic Party has.
Speaker 2: We mentioned earlier.
Speaker 3: The NBC poll that came out had Trump at the highest approval rating he's ever had in the NBC poll, while the Democratic Party has got the lowest approval rating it has ever had in polling. And the split was evident over the weekend because Chuck Schumer, the Democratic leader of the Democrats in the Senate, came out and said we got to vote for this thing now the government to be bad, which I think he's right about. But I think I think he was on the cright side. But the left wing of the party hated it. Anyway.
Speaker 2: Here's a little other reporting from NBC on.
Speaker 1: That divided Senate Democrats advance a Republican spending bill to avoid a government shutdown, but spark an intra party battle in the process.
Speaker 4: Today was a bad day for the country, and I won't sugarcoat it. Today was also a bad day for the Democratic Party. In this case, CR stands for complete resignation.
Speaker 5: I think there is a deep sense of outrage and betrayal.
Speaker 3: It's an unacceptable, unconsonable, and un American spending bill.
Speaker 2: Is it time for new leadership in the Senate? Next question? So it's interesting.
Speaker 3: So Democrats are very, very unpopular, and you had their annoying representatives there in Adam Schiff. I met representatives colloquially, not like literally, because Adam Shiff is the senator.
Speaker 2: Sure, he's a senator.
Speaker 1: You got Adam Schiff and AOC really unhappy with the fact that Democrats went along with it. You to talk about not reading the room, right, no kidding, And but the big one there at the end.
Speaker 2: That was Joaquem Jefferies.
Speaker 3: He's the leader Democratic leader in the House, and we'll be Speaker of the House if the Democrats take it back. Ask should there be new leadership in the center and in the Senate? Should they get rid of Schumer? And he said, next question, leadership criticizing each other in the same.
Speaker 2: Party is not common. Is that the way you took that? That's the way I took it. Yeah, you didn't.
Speaker 1: Take it right.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know. It could also mean that's a stupid question.
Speaker 3: Next question, Oh, interesting, And certainly the way they presented it on mainstream media, which leans left, it was him being unhappy. That's why they put it in there with the other clips. This is what more reasonable. John Fetterman said, what leverage do we have?
Speaker 4: Democrats keep showing up at every night fight with a kesserole.
Speaker 2: Whatever that means.
Speaker 3: So, but John Fetterman, along with Chuck Schumer, just closer to mainstream Democrats who understand where their leverage is, or where America is or whatever the idea of shutting down the government. Chuck Schumer actually made the argument, we don't have the clip. I guess, but Chuck Schumer got up there and said, look, we're all we're gonna do is empowered Doge. If we shut down the government and put a whole bunch of government workers out of work, we're kind of just like boostering Doge, which we claim were against, which I think he's right politically.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm yeah, Hey, Katie, help me with this. What if you showed up to the knife fight with like a scalding.
Speaker 2: Hot cast arrived, I think, well, and.
Speaker 1: Like jammed it in somebody's face because they think you are going to serve them food.
Speaker 2: I'm picturing a knife fight, which is weird.
Speaker 3: I would I rather have another knife so I get in a fight with somebody they got a knife. Would I rather have a knife myself or a hot cast rolen't know.
Speaker 2: Try to stab somebody with hot cast role all over your face. It's probably hard.
Speaker 1: Well, right, you got it in your eyes and everything I see. I think Fetterman may be too hasty in his criticisms. Anyway, back to you, Umm, let's hear another One'll go ahead. I was just going to say it is yet another example, and there's quite a list growing up of any moderate Democrat who says, hey, folks, were off track.
Speaker 2: We got to come back over here.
Speaker 1: Just getting a hell kicked out of them. But you know the ever loud progressive wing.
Speaker 3: Here's former R and C chairman Wright's prebus in his reading of the current Democratic Party.
Speaker 4: Well, the Democrats have had two horrific weeks. They've got no leader, they've got no movement. The only thing I have got is Trump the derangement syndrome. It's the only thing that brings them together. And the only thing they got out of this week was well, who's going to primary? Chuck Schumer? What are we all about? AOC and Bernie Sanders are the only people in their entire party that can get a crowd of over twenty to show up. So the only thing they are, I mean, they're afraid of Trump. Trump owns them. And it was a total slam dunk for the Republican Party.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's it.
Speaker 3: Well until somebody emerges. That is the problem that if I were a Democrat, I'd want somebody to emerge who's closer to the center.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, it's an interesting conundrum they're in, though, because his previous puts it so charmingly. The only people who can get more than twenty people to show up, or a couple of socialist crackpots, one as old as the hills and the other one quite attractive but doesn't have two thoughts to ro up together. And so if you're on the energized Vocal fundraising Instagram follower left of the left, you're thinking, wait a minute, you're telling me to defer to these these people in the center.
Speaker 2: They're nobody's they've got no energy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, Republicans are going to win until the Democratic Party understands, finally, completely understands that Twitter is not real life and they're.
Speaker 2: Not there yet.
Speaker 1: And it's just it's absolutely amazing to me. I was listening to the National Review podcast over the weekend and they were making the point of.
Speaker 2: How Trump sucks.
Speaker 3: So many of these you know, vocal get so much attention activists into doing what he wants them to do. So the Trump administration arresting that Columbia student, whether that's legal or illegal, or right or wrong free speech wise, you got your the AOC crowd trying to raise this guy up like he's some sort of hero, and that ain't gonna.
Speaker 2: Work with more most of the country style.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you got most of the Country saying he ain't no hero to me, sounds like he's Prohomas.
Speaker 2: So once again the Democrats just taking the bait.
Speaker 1: And one more thought a frequent correspondent, Paolo Rights and if you have want to drop us an email, feel free mail bag at Armstrong and getty dot com. It's a number of examples of what I was talking about before, how the left, part of the left is just kicking the hell out of anybody who tries to be even moderately moderate, and it's He quotes Michelle Goldberg, who's just a wildly left columnist for the New York Times and obnoxious. But it has the columns about Gavin Newsom saying, yeah, dudes in women's sports is not cool, it's unfair, And I agree with you, Charlie Kirk.
Speaker 2: You all heard about that, I'm sure, on that podcast a while back.
Speaker 1: But then she says it was especially he'll advise for Newsom to roll out as pivot on trans women in sports, it's dudes. In a conversation with Kirk, a man once described trans people as blah blah blah. As a matter of both political expediency and simple honesty, Democrats should be able to acknowledge that it's unfair to expect elite female athletes to compete against trans women who've gone through male puberty. Okay, wow, all right, I appreciate hearing that from Michelle Goldberg.
Speaker 2: But here's where it gets interesting.
Speaker 1: But at the time when the Trump administration is single trans people out for persecution, what now?
Speaker 2: Right? That's why Rose moved to Ireland.
Speaker 1: Partially, Democrats need to couple the recognition of physical difference with a broader defense of trans rights. And as Powell points out, she's saying Trump is so horrible, we mustn't agree with him even when he's right, and we should continue letting men beat up on women, on the girls on the sports field, lest we agree with Trump on anything that is Trump derangement Sentrome. Right.
Speaker 3: Well, I think Gavin Newsom recognizes that the John Fetterman Bill Maher party could win elections. The AOC Elizabeth Warren Bernie Sanders party cannot.
Speaker 2: Right, in spite of their energy and fundraising ability and the rest of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, ad a, uh got to do a cherish I guess it doesn't have to be father.
Speaker 2: I was going to say father tradition, but I suppose moms do it too.
Speaker 3: Working on teaching my son to drive as he turned fifteen a couple of weeks ago, and at fifteen and a half. Go at fifteen and a half you can start driving. So we were out driving around on County Road yesterday, which I'm sure is highly illegal. But a story, like all.
Speaker 1: Stories told on the Armstrong e Getty Show, is entirely fictional.
Speaker 2: I don't even have kids, but he was out driving around. But I gotta I gotta come up with a reasonable vehicle for him to drive. We don't.
Speaker 3: I don't own anything that's like a regular car, so it's not going to do any good to learn how to drive like ridiculous Tesla's because Elon doesn't like various things. There's no turn signal stick, for instance, so you don't learn how to do that, and I don't know if what happens to you just.
Speaker 2: Turn the wheel in the signal.
Speaker 3: There's a button you press, which is very unhandy. I much rather have the stick. Yeah, it's annoying. Don't mess with stuff that works.
Speaker 2: I know, I know, I.
Speaker 3: Know Elon, but anyway, but he's really really excited about it. And you know, as you do, as most people do, I mean, I can still remember.
Speaker 2: Drivers in and learning to drive myself. It's just I don't know. I don't know if it's.
Speaker 1: The freedom or the fact that you're you know, in control of a big, giant machine, or it makes you feel like an adult.
Speaker 2: But I mean, it's just intoxicating or what's for me?
Speaker 1: Well, right, And I'm not the least bit surprised by this because we're talking about your kid. But I think it's notable that your kid likes girls, wants to date them, and wants a driver's license, because that is.
Speaker 2: Far from universal.
Speaker 1: You know, in the modern day, nobody couples and kids don't bother getting their license until years later.
Speaker 3: If I don't, I don't think I've done anything culturally in my home.
Speaker 2: I don't know. But he's had a couple of girlfriends and he can't wait to drive.
Speaker 1: So well, you're at least way for toward the free range parents ideal than a lot of folks are these days. But do you think those two things are very tied very closely?
Speaker 2: Oh, okay, you think those are tied together.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's a love of adventure, tolerance for risk, all that sort of stuff. You've let him make mistakes and you know, get lost and find his way, find himself back.
Speaker 4: Yes, Michael, I just remember scaring the hell out of my dad the first couple of times I went by the way.
Speaker 3: Well, it depends what you're driving. I learned to drive in my parents station wagging. I was trying to tell my son this, that one when I was fourteen, which is when you learned to drive. I was like four foot eleven for one thing, and they didn't You didn't have seats you could raise up back then. So I'm sitting down low and I can see nothing but a giant, giant hood. Had no idea where I was on the road, just wow, hood and sky was all I could see.
Speaker 2: I need a phone book for you to sit down. Oh, how emasculating? Is that?
Speaker 1: The phone book the booster seat of the sixties and seventies.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Uh, it's insane that I was driving at fourteen or anyone was just insane.
Speaker 2: Well, it's insane. Well every parent knows this. It seems insane your.
Speaker 3: Sixteen year old is driving because they still seem like little kids do It's like what and.
Speaker 2: Or idiots not speaking about your kids.
Speaker 1: Certainly, On the other hand, you've got the if I have to drive you back and forth to school one more time this week, I'm gonna go crazy for band or sports or whatever the heck it is.
Speaker 2: Oh, the astronauts are coming home.
Speaker 3: Finally we got a little We got some news on that, which is that's because of you on right.
Speaker 1: Uh well, yeah, he successfully got to rocket up and soon back.
Speaker 3: We hope we bombed the crap out of some people. Also, we could give you the update on that, among other things.
Speaker 2: Stay here, Army Strong.
Speaker 5: A twenty eight hour journey through space and a reunion months in the Make It NASA astronauts Butch Wilmore and Sanita Williams and the rest of Crew nine hugged their relief. It comes after a picture perfect launch Friday night from the Candid Center in Florida, SpaceX Crew ten climbing through the skies above a Falcon nine rocket, traveling it over seventeen thousand miles per hour to the ISS. Among those waiting for them Briche and Sunny, the two test pilots for Boeing Starliner Or, whose mission aboard the ISS turned from ten days to over nine months. But Sonny and the rest of Crew nine one step closer to their return to Earth.
Speaker 3: A ten day space mission that turned into nine months. That's something, Well, I don't care if it's a golf trip or a fishing trip or a European river cruise. If I sign up for ten days and it turns into nine months, I'm probably a little annoyed. Yeah, although they've been quoted many times as saying, you know what, We're sorry, our families have had to adjust, but this is fun and interesting for us.
Speaker 2: You know, I believe them. Yeah, I'd be upsides and downsides.
Speaker 1: M Yeah, heck of a deal. Hope they get home, though certainly I expect they will. So we were talking about, you know, the left kicking anybody, any Democrat who comes up is even reasonably moderate, And I found this on I just came across this seconds after we and in last segment. The feedback from Gaviy Newsom's podcast is disastrous. His favorability amongst liberals has declined from forty six percent to thirty percent. Republicans, on the other hand, having listened to the podcast, overwhelmingly viewed him as insincere, calling him fake and pandering, and his letter.
Speaker 3: Favorite because he was fake and pandering that might have led people to that conclusion.
Speaker 2: Thank you for that analysis. I agree with it completely.
Speaker 1: His net favorability favorability rating dropped from plus four to minus six, a ten point swing in the wrong direction. Wow, almost instantaneously.
Speaker 3: First of all, uh, that's got to be an interesting warning shot to anybuddy who wants to raise their head up as a moderate Democrat out there, get it lopped off by the woke side. Apparently, he also might have the problem. He might be like a Hillary Clinton, where the more people are exposed to him, the more they don't like him.
Speaker 2: Just yes for some reason, yes, well yes, not like yes.
Speaker 1: Right, And like a variety of Republican governors who I liked very much through the years who decided to run for president, it turned out, especially in a heavily Republican state, you felt like they had the chops to run from president for president. That's because they never really had to show their chops. Gavin Newsom has risen up as a rich, powerful, connected guy in a one party state.
Speaker 2: And indeed, you know, as he indicated, the more you hear from him, the less you like him. So keep talking.
Speaker 3: Gavy isn't making a bracket anywhere Michael.
Speaker 2: I'll bet our boss does. I'll bet the boss Boss does. Yeah, not that I'm aware of, but I would check there the Big Boss. Yeah. I'm going to gamble heavily. I'm gonna get involved. Fill up the bike. I know.
Speaker 3: I didn't follow hardly at all this year college basketball, which probably makes it more likely that I would win than any other year when I watch lots of games.
Speaker 1: Yeah, with players switching teams every single year, and lots of freshmen playing, and lots of grad students who just don't feel like they could make the NBA so they just play well into their late twenties.
Speaker 3: And plus just in general, the guy at the workplace who wears a jersey to work every casual Friday is usually the guy that doesn't win well.
Speaker 2: And it's more true than ever.
Speaker 1: They're going to be wild upsets every single day this year. So yeah, close your eyes and fill in your bracket.
Speaker 3: So a lot of news stations that joined us today five News station, Thanks, we appreciate it, Thanks for listening.
Speaker 2: Hope you like it.
Speaker 1: Truly do I think you will try to bring you the news of the day, what's going on, what's important with us?
Speaker 2: No, no traffic on the fives.
Speaker 1: No, I don't care when traffic is but without left wing spin, and we try to bring you the truth the best we can. Sometimes we call fowls on our own side too. You might have to get used to that, but that's the way we roll. Man a lot of time and temperature checks.
Speaker 3: Oh if you need an umbrella today, If you missed a segment at the podcast, Armstrong and Getty on demand
Speaker 2: Armstrong and Getty