Speaker 1: After working with you. Besides greeness that I influenced you in any other way cooking or is it just my girl?
Speaker 2: We'll be here for the rest of the night.
Speaker 3: Of course, I think you really showed me a whole different way of eating healthfully, just eating really fresh ingredients, paying attention to what's in season, and it doesn't have to be very complicated.
Speaker 1: So I've known Jess Dami since she first came to work for Sarah Carrey, who happens to be here on our everyday food magazine, which I still refer to Sarah, And she started as an intern in twenty and eleven. She became a regular contributor to our culinary projects on shows like Martha Bakes and pot Luck Dinner Party with Snoop. Snoop fell in love with her. Does he do you still cook for Snoop?
Speaker 2: I haven't seen him in a while.
Speaker 1: I'm going to see him on Thursday Friday. I bet he'll ask about you. He always asks about you.
Speaker 2: You think we can turn him into a health nut.
Speaker 1: He is a healthy he's pretty Yuh.
Speaker 2: He's pretty healthy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's totally healthy. And before Christmas, did you see his big announcement that he was giving up. Smoke turned out to be turned out to be smoke coming from a fire, and it was. And he sold a lot of those little stoves, those little heaters, you know, one of those little fire pit things. It's just a sham anyway. Jess is also one of the many challenged chefs and artists who have worked with me throughout the years. There are many, it looks like with us here tonight, and can you stand up everybody who's worked at Martha Stewart Living or or please then please, there's a lot.
Speaker 2: I like this.
Speaker 1: I like to see it. It's nice. Oh you're working, you're working. You don't have to work in the kitchens, and you see there's a lot of people, and so I feel good as as sort of an incubator, you know how.
Speaker 2: That was one of the things I wanted to ask you.
Speaker 3: You must feel so good when you see all of these amazing people doing incredible things that have been inspired by.
Speaker 1: I'm like a mother and I like to see that progeny persist. I'd like to see them succeed. I like to see them create, and they do and they are. I still waiting for a cookbook from Sarah Carrey. I don't know where the hell that one is. I don't know where Thomas Joseph's cookbook is yet, so a lot of people creating beautiful things. Well, I have to say I'm doing very nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I wanted to say, you know, I don't think I've ever really told you this story, but I grew up on Shelter Island, which I'm also not sure I ever told you, But no, I read that today though. Yeah, as a pretty young girl, when I was maybe eleven.
Speaker 2: Or twelve, I first found Martha Stewart living.
Speaker 1: I had lots of friends on Shelter Island, so I probably met you well.
Speaker 3: I was certainly very inspired by everything you were doing. And I remember bringing a copy of the magazine to my grandmother's house to do my first real Thanksgiving and driving everybody crazy because I didn't have the right tartpan, not all the platters matched. And that I was like eleven or twelve years old. I was really young. And it's so it's such a huge moment for me to be sitting here with you today. I mean, I could have never imagined in a million years that this would happen.
Speaker 1: And I'm not so great, but now you could Yeah, we worked together closely on all these fantastic projects, and you were always a joy to work with. I must say. So. You have always had a kind of fearless approach to your cooking and to your wife. And you're always off doing exotic things, especially dating your most exotic boyfriend, who's right there. And as I said in the forward to her first book, Salad Free, she is a serious, thorough and fastidious cook and food stylist. And that book was a best selling cookbook, is very a very pleasurable book. I look at it. I don't use it, but I look at it because I eat that like that anyway, you know, I eat like that. I'm you know, I grow all those things in the garden. And that's why I'm a dirt nerd. We're concentrating on dirt now as opposed to what comes from the dirt, because everybody has to. If you want to be a good gardener, you have to have good dirt, right absolutely, And how is your garden my garden?
Speaker 2: You know, I've been worried sick about my seedlings.
Speaker 3: I'm literally facetiming with my seedlings to make sure they're okay.
Speaker 1: Have somebody watering them?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's you know, we've had some cool nights in LA.
Speaker 3: It's gone down to about forty six, so I can't get them in the ground.
Speaker 2: I saw Ryan for a few minutes and I thrilled him. Believe me.
Speaker 3: He showed me all the seeds. He said, it's the biggest year ever.
Speaker 1: At the garden. Yeah he's' that's the gardener Ryan McAllister, who works incredible. Yeah he's sick. Yeah. So now in health nut, I hate nuts, so so I rarely eat nuts. I like pistachio nuts and I like macadamia nuts because they're they're kind of fun. But the rest of the nuts, this.
Speaker 2: Is not all nuts. It's all healthy.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 1: I looked. I looked at every single recipe. So, but you do have a lot of nuts in the book. Yeah, and you did send me. You did send me some all nimes.
Speaker 2: Do you make your own nut milk?
Speaker 1: No, I don't. You don't drink no. Do you drink home a whole drink regular whole milk?
Speaker 2: Yeah, every morning.
Speaker 1: I'm not one of those people that has have you know, nut milk and my.
Speaker 2: Coffee and your green juice.
Speaker 1: You have every oh yeah, And she put my green juice recipe in the book. I did not actually I did not read the green juice recipes. Is it really my recipes?
Speaker 2: It's the one I made many many, many times. I hope I know that.
Speaker 1: Okay, it changes, you know every day, Yeah, depending always, depending on what's growing in the in the greenhouse or in the garden. But but these are light meals. These are full of bright flavors and infuse with her own reverence for a fresh, local produce and seasonality. And you know, Jess moved out to California. She could have never done this book or the other book if she hadn't moved to California.
Speaker 2: You couldn't not without a greenhouse, like you couldn't know, you know.
Speaker 3: I really tried for this book to sort of bring go back to my every day But.
Speaker 1: It's not a supermarket. It's not supermarket. This is, this is, this is and and or the organization it takes. But once you get into it, you can do it. And that's what I really like. You know.
Speaker 3: When I was developing the recipes, I really tried to go to stores like Trader Joe's and make sure that they were ingredients that people could find wherever they are. Of course, they're not the same as if you're going to the Hollywood farmers Market.
Speaker 1: Yes, but you should be able to find for that's arawan Yeah, araw one. You go into Arawuana and you spend one hundred dollars and you have a little time, you.
Speaker 2: Can fit everything in your part. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I love that story too, But this is sort of you know, it's the kind of food that you'd spend so much money there.
Speaker 1: I'm counting the ingredients and the black bean sweet potato and Green's Breakfast gowl one, two, three, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, eleven, twelve, thirteen, maybe fourteen or fifteen ingreenies. But you have to, you know, have to have the sweet potatoes cooked. I cooked sweet potatoes for my dogs, so this one I could actually and there's always a sweet potato cooked in their fridge, so I can actually make this salad. I don't like beans. I don't like beans, and I don't like nuts. Only fresh beans. Yeah, I don't like dried beans. You know.
Speaker 2: I've started making my own dog food because of you.
Speaker 1: Also, and.
Speaker 2: Two dogs. One is a Chiuahua and one is a Chihuahua. Italian greyhounds. Oh, oh goshful, he's like a little deer. He's very tall, very small.
Speaker 1: I just got a new French bulldog too, and she moved in with two chowchous and two old grouchy Frenchies and she's taken over. Yeah, she's lovely. Luna Muna. What are your dogs?
Speaker 2: Snacks and Toad?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and Snacks loves carrots so much.
Speaker 2: And he discovered the carrot bed in the.
Speaker 3: Garden and now he sits in there and he just pulls the people.
Speaker 1: That's weird.
Speaker 3: And it's so cute that I don't stop him, but it's annoying, and I.
Speaker 1: Know he wouldn't. I would put a fence on. So so we're supposed to be talking about our culinary careers and what it takes to create a cookbook today. And did you read that there were twenty five thousand cookbooks published last year?
Speaker 2: I believe it.
Speaker 3: I saw that Epicurious their like best of list was the top eighty cookbooks coming out this spring.
Speaker 1: Isn't it?
Speaker 2: Which is crazy?
Speaker 1: It is crazy. It is crazy. But we are consumed with food. We are very interested in the in the preservation and the growing and in the cooking of good food.
Speaker 2: Anyway, now to talk about TikTok. Have you gone on? Are you on TikTok? Martha?
Speaker 3: Of course, yeah, you're you have you were always just you're any trend.
Speaker 1: And I don't I'm never going to say I don't like you talk. I like TikTok. I think it's a I think it's a very nice platform. I don't delve deep into chiktok, but it's a very active and very lively and I learn a lot on TikTok.
Speaker 3: What do you think about you know, it's been hard for me after working with you, to not have everything look beautiful and perfect. So many of the videos, you know, people are cooking with one hand, shooting.
Speaker 2: With the other hand. The lighting's bad.
Speaker 3: Has that been an adjustment for you at all? No, You're still Everything you do is still looks fer.
Speaker 1: No, I don't. I don't mind. I don't mind looking at I I like. I really learn a lot. I'm both on TikTok and on Instagram. I don't spend a lot of time doing reading or looking at it, just because I don't have that time. But but but I always learned something and uh and I and I like I like, I like sites that actually teach a lot. So I'm into the big big gardener, and I'm looking at all the English garden sites right now, Chelsea Flower Show is coming up, and everybody's posting the most extraordinary gardens and the most beautiful proteges where they're growing all the most beautiful vegetables. So that's how I learn a lot.
Speaker 2: I love that your blog is now on Instagram.
Speaker 1: Yes, I did that. I did that. We have We've had a blog online for how many years? How many years would you say? Twenty years at least the Martha Blog hashtag Martha the Martha Blog online and we have a loyal following, but not a big following. And within three weeks our thing called Martha Stewart Blog has really taken off and it's so exciting to have it on. Justin Sanchez works with me on the blog and she's she's out photographing all day long and we're doing the research and writing a really nice informative it's like a magazine story every day.
Speaker 3: And it's really like what it's like being around you, just seeing all the little things you do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, every day. Well, thank you for mentioning that, because it is. It's a joy to do. Yeah, and I haven't really gotten in the kitchen with it yet too much. I'm excited, but we will do some stuff in the kitchen. So you're you've been cooking up a storm with all these beautiful, beautiful vegetables curried carrot dip, and everything does look good. You you have mastered your style and I like that a lot. I don't know. Let me see steam clams and sweet pepper and corn broth. Is that good?
Speaker 2: Everything's good?
Speaker 1: No? No, no, I'm just saying it. Is it good? I'm just you know what I mean? That looks so good? Is that? Did you take the corn off the cob? Yes? Okay, yeah, it looks really good. Yeah.
Speaker 2: This was a really really fun book to work on.
Speaker 1: And the broccoli apasta with peas and pectorina. My grandchildren will eat that. That's a great one for that is so good. They love they love pesto. So I'm going to children to add some broccoli choice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the book.
Speaker 3: It's not like hiding more vegetables necessarily, but that one's packed.
Speaker 1: This one. This artist choke, I love artist. It was I grow arted chokes and I cannot wait to make stuffed arted choke with breadcrumbs and so much garlic. How much garlic actually is there in here?
Speaker 2: There's quite a bit.
Speaker 1: And so it's only clothes because you can't you can't a lot that canst so many more clothes than that.
Speaker 2: You don't like to three garlic pasta. No is it roasted.
Speaker 1: It's not roasted. It's roasted garlics which is very soft confe kind of, and then it is sauteed and sliced and sauteta and olive oil, and then it's raw and it's, uh, it's so delicious.
Speaker 2: I thought you didn't like raw garlic.
Speaker 1: It only touched in this one and a lot of olive oil. It's very good, but you should try that one. But this is this I'm definitely going to try.
Speaker 2: That was my my Sicilian grandfather always.
Speaker 1: Used Yes, so good. And I like the colors. I love the purple cover. It was.
Speaker 3: I had these crazy girls in Paris dye that fabric for me.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it was a fun.
Speaker 1: I thought I thought you had painted that. It's so pretty.
Speaker 3: They did all sort of bautique dying, and yeah, it was really fun to collaborate.
Speaker 1: Well after working with you, besides greeness that I influenced you in any other way looking.
Speaker 3: Or is it just my we'll be here for the rest of the night, of course, I think, you know, you really showed me a whole different way of eating healthfully, you know, just eating really fresh ingredients, paying attention to what's in season, and it doesn't have.
Speaker 2: To be very complicated.
Speaker 3: I think that's you know, everyone's always worried it's so hard to eat healthy. But all the foods that I saw you enjoy or I cooked for you.
Speaker 2: It was very simple.
Speaker 1: It's pretty simple.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, there's a.
Speaker 3: Dish here that you asked me specifically for one day for lunch, which was a jar of tuna, a supreme grapefruit, and an avocado. And that is the perfect example of something that is so simple, but it's the absolute perfect bite.
Speaker 1: It could have been a can of sardines, yeah, either.
Speaker 2: But perfect and simple and so so healthy.
Speaker 1: I have a very empty refrigerator. I mean, I have giant troll sins in my kitchen but with glass doors, and you can see that it's pretty empty except for giant bowls of citrus from my greenhouse. I'm growing a lot of citrus. You have to come up and see everything, grapefruits and oranges and lemons and limes.
Speaker 2: And you have to see our little orchard that we plant.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so fabulous. Well this is inside and you're outside.
Speaker 3: I remember you told me, well, probably about ten years ago at this point you said, I haven't bought a lemon in years, which in New York is really really amazing.
Speaker 1: We had such a crop of lemons last week, lemons and key limes. I had to squeeze them all and freeze pints of juice. So now I can make well.
Speaker 2: Your I don't know how you had any room in your freezer.
Speaker 3: Your freezer are always filled with berries, just huge bags of currants and black raspberries.
Speaker 1: Ju citrus juices. But there's nothing in the refrigerator. So I have to I've had to learn how to cook from like the air. Sometimes I'm hungry and I hate to go to the store. I hate shopping. Do you hate shopping? Are you the farmer's markets?
Speaker 2: I have the farmer's markets.
Speaker 3: I'm really trying to grow as much as I possibly can, because it is a drag to go to the store, and it's you know, I'm sort of When I started writing this book, I was really sick of the question like what's for dinner? What are we having for dinner? It's a question you have every single day. And this was really my solution for that. You know, I had written another cookbook at the same time with my friend Benny Blanco.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I'm anxious to see that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that one was fun. It's all parties.
Speaker 1: He really felt to everybody who Benny Blanco is.
Speaker 2: Benny Blanco is one of my best friends.
Speaker 1: Everybody knows who Bennie Blanco is.
Speaker 3: He's a music producer who really loves to cook.
Speaker 2: He's worked with.
Speaker 3: Justin Bieber, Katie Perry, all kinds of people, but he loves to cook. So I helped him write a cookbook and it's much different than this book. It's a lot of I think there's three different fried chicken recipes in it, but he put a recipe in there for you because he's been trying to get your attention desperately. He just it drives him crazy that you give me attention and that you don't pay attention.
Speaker 1: To music for him. Nothing. What does he want?
Speaker 3: He just wants you to recognize him.
Speaker 2: And now he's out.
Speaker 1: Now I know who he is, but.
Speaker 2: Don't do it? You know, Martha, I have a question for you.
Speaker 3: Yes, you have accomplished so much, and I want to know what it looks like for you to be proud of yourself. Do you ever pause to really like let your accomplishment sink in? Are you onto the next Do you take the time just to pause?
Speaker 1: I know for me, I don't have time. Yeah, I have no time for anything. I'm writing the hundredths book right now. Oh, and I think you'll all like it. It's a hundred of my favorite recipes and it's just called the cookbook, and so it's going to be a lot of fun. It's beautiful. We had Dana Gallagher photograph it, and we worked and we worked for how many shoot days? Was it? My book editors right here, how many shoot days? Sixteen sixteen shoots for a hundred amazing photographs and more more than one hundred. That was not enough days. But but and you talk about hard work, but all done in my kitchen in Bedford, and that's a really really it's going to be a beautiful.
Speaker 3: How different did it feel to make your hundred book than your first book?
Speaker 1: It's it's feeling about the same because I haven't finished writing those hundreds yet and it it.
Speaker 2: I don't think it will ever gets easier. It's a process.
Speaker 3: I don't think most people in this room know what does go into It does.
Speaker 1: Not get easier, and in fact, in fact it's a little bit harder because because the first book, Entertaining nineteen eighty two, that took me, that took me only a year, and this one's taking only sort of only a year two write, but a more painful year. And and it's and Entertaining is more pages. But it was like so much fun. I'm not bored.
Speaker 2: I'm not don't what's your favorite part of the process writing it?
Speaker 1: Writing the most things, yeah, and and thinking about the content, of course, and then the photographs, looking at the photographs, the final photographs. That's And we did a lot of styling in this book. It's it's pretty, it's me in which I'm happy about.
Speaker 2: That feels so good. I think this book was for me.
Speaker 3: It was I could really put more of my personality and it's good.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Why why did you find that after the first book?
Speaker 2: You know, they wanted to play it a little safer with the first one. Who was the publishers listen.
Speaker 1: To the publisher. No publishers in this room. Right is your publisher here.
Speaker 2: There's a few people from my publisher.
Speaker 1: Never listen to the publisher, Yeah, they never. They don't know what they're talking about. They published twenty five thousand, you know. Yeah, if they were really good publishers, they would not do that many.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's really just the last week alone, there were so many.
Speaker 1: Other here's three cookbook authors sitting around here. Does it bother you? Yeah? Yeah, yeah, it's very it's very hard to go through all the book cookbooks that come to my to.
Speaker 3: My absolutely, and I think the best thing you can do is be truly yourself, you know, That's all we can.
Speaker 1: And then don't don't let the publisher tell you anything like that. You are you are yourself. I'm not worried about you. That's why I'm sitting here. If I didn't like your book, you think I would be here?
Speaker 2: No, not, not on a rainy Tuesday night.
Speaker 1: No, no way. And if I didn't like you, I wouldn't be here. But but it is. It is a very nice accomplishment that that's such in such a short period of time. You've done three cookbooks. You have really focused and uh and centered yourself on subject matter that's really uniquely yours.
Speaker 2: It feels great and its fin for yourself.
Speaker 3: You know, I watched that documentary that came out a few weeks ago.
Speaker 1: That's the Unauthor. I see an end version The Authorized is coming soon, but sometimes this year.
Speaker 3: But I have to say, there were so many parallel to where I am right now, seeing you working on your first house and planting your orchard there and just growing this little compound and learning as much as you can about gardening, being so excited about throwing parties.
Speaker 1: I know we're sitting in a bookstore, but when you pick up a cookbook, one of the twenty five thousand or so from last year, what makes you buy the cookbook? The name, the photographs, what appeals to you?
Speaker 2: I think that. I mean, the cover matters so much. That's what's going to catch my eye first. And then I open it up. And food has to look good.
Speaker 3: It has to look colorful, It has to have a lot of produce for me, and it has to have some combinations that I wouldn't think of on my own, which is hard, you know, to find that, But that's really what I look for.
Speaker 2: That's what I look for in a restaurant as well.
Speaker 3: Sometimes it can be something really simple, but if somebody's able to come up with little combinations of flavors that excite me different, Yeah, how about you?
Speaker 1: Well, I like to bake, so I'm always looking for the next fabulous book with baking in it. It has to be some making something as hard as Brioche doable, and those are the kinds of things I look for. I'm always looking, as I said, at all these cookbooks. And again, the photography does have to be appealing, but the recipes themselves have to be understandable and.
Speaker 3: Mouth watering, and it's harder than ever to know if the recipes will work.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: It's not like when we were at the magazine where everything was being tested so thoroughly.
Speaker 2: So many people don't.
Speaker 3: They skip that step because it's expensive, but it's so important. I think coming up through magazines was really the best possible way to learn about how to write a recipe, and I think it with social media, unfortunately, it's something that's really not the case for everyone anymore.
Speaker 1: You know. And you have a few meat recipes in your book, are you going to do a book ever with more meat?
Speaker 3: I don't really do that much meat. I really don't cook it at home very often. If I go to a restaurant and I know it's being sourced from from somewhere, that's, you know, good.
Speaker 2: I'll buy meat, but I rarely cook it. How about you don't eat too much?
Speaker 1: Rarely rarely eat meat. I like to eat it sometimes, but not much. And I do look for sources for meat that are that are good sources. I had to make a chili contest the other night. I didn't know what I was getting into when I agreed to compete in the Bedford Katona Chili contest.
Speaker 2: How many people were in it?
Speaker 1: Twenty tables, twenty chili tables with like four or five people contributing to the chili that you had to prepare two giant croc pots so that they could be tasted. I mean, if you want to eat chili, this was a very good chili. I put every kind of pepper I could find in it. And I had my own plopenias that I had preserved in salt. Do you ever do that?
Speaker 2: No, I was going to see it. I sometimes with them in my freezer, though no.
Speaker 1: I put them in salt. Likely Lily Paie. She taught me how to do that. She comes from Puna. And they were actually everybody said they were a little too hot. I served them as a garnish with the with the kremlon and the other things. But it was a fun contest, but I didn't enjoy cooking the meat so much. Yeah, so you're the inspirations. We've talked a little bit about that, but for this particular health night, you are on a health kick. Yeah, you look beautiful.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: And all your pictures, you know, and everything I see posted, you always look beautiful. And would you say that these are extremely healthy recipes.
Speaker 3: I actually wouldn't say they're extremely healthy. I think they're very balanced. And I was really really inspired by the health food movement in California in the sixties and seventies.
Speaker 1: I thought about the health food movement now.
Speaker 3: The health food movement now, I think seems a little bit hard to access for a lot of people. You know, there's people like Gwyneth Paltrow and other wellness people, and a lot of that food and the supplements and all of that is very expensive.
Speaker 1: And veganism, yeah, your rampant veganism in California.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, and some of those vegan ingredients really aren't healthy, don't. They're very processed, and I'm this book doesn't use any ingredients like that.
Speaker 2: It's just whole foods.
Speaker 3: And I was very inspired by you know, I had the Source. Family gave me a restaurant I wanted to see. Did you ever go to the Source restaurant in LA when it was open?
Speaker 1: Oh? I didn't, I didn't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I had one of the members of that. It was really fun speaking to people who grew up in California at that time and were a part of that when it was really radical. Now it's not, you know, a radical thing to want to.
Speaker 2: Eat well, but it was in the sixties.
Speaker 1: Back to gardening. Do you think growing your own food really does change your relationship to food and cooking?
Speaker 2: Absolutely?
Speaker 3: When you see how much work it takes to grow each perfect tomato, you're you know, certainly going to eat a little differently.
Speaker 2: I think more than anything, it's it makes you cook more.
Speaker 3: Simply, a tomato doesn't need much more than olive oil and a bit of salt when it comes right. And learning you know when food is in season wherever you live is so important because then you have to do even less. You know, if you're not trying to buy a tomato in the middle of the winter, of course it's gonna taste good and you're not gonna need to put all these fancy ingredients on it for it to be really, really delicious.
Speaker 1: But it's it's hard to talk to a New York audience so much. How many of you have gardens in the in the audience have quite a few, But it's it's hard in New York to talk about about the freshness. Yeah, picking your own thing when you're when you don't have a garden.
Speaker 3: I wanted to ask you, what what advice would you give to someone here in this city who wanted to get started gardening or growing something with very little.
Speaker 1: Spy a little plot of land. Yeah, come work for me on my farm, learn how to garden. It's uh, it's hard. It's hard when you're when you don't have any any space.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I have a little hydroponic tower that I really love for greens.
Speaker 2: It's really great.
Speaker 1: And the big grow so fast and then they flop so fast. I use I was figuring out today for my green juice. The main ingredient is spinach, and so I have a vegetable greenhouse for winter growing, and I use about a half a pound of spinach every day, maybe even more in my green juice. So that is a lot of spinach. And if you buy it in the organics food store, that's about nine dollars of spinach, you know, because that's how it's so expensive, fresh, big, beautiful, meaty leaves. So it's hard to grow enough to make your own green juice and the cucumbers and the celery and all of that stuff. But it's worth it, yeah, it really can. It's worth it because nothing tastes like homegrown spinach. Nothing. And now I'm cutting up spinach. On Instagram, I saw a very nice, a nice egg dish, just eggs, beaten eggs in a and lots of spinach, lots of tomatoes, lots of just lots of vegetables right in there, and just it's like a fritata, but not quite a fritata. It was so delicious. I just made that served I served it to all the guys who work on the farm because I have two hundred chickens and we have a lot of eggs every day. Do you have chickens yet?
Speaker 2: Not yet? We have a lot of coyotes. So that makes it a.
Speaker 1: Little you need a fullproof, a full proof cage for them.
Speaker 4: But what a difference it makes.
Speaker 2: I have one more question for you.
Speaker 3: I come well, after watching that documentary and knowing you for so long, you seem so fearless. Is there anything that you are afraid of.
Speaker 1: Freido, Well, you know, like jumping out of an airplane. I'm not very afraid. No, you can't. You can't do we do and be afraid.
Speaker 2: No, you really can't.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 1: Writing like the way we write, and the cooking the way we cook, and living the way we live. You're not afraid. Any questions from our audience. Yes, So I want.
Speaker 6: To take my recipes actually and digitize them for my kids.
Speaker 2: Any recommendations there, I'm not going to populish it, but leave something for my kids.
Speaker 1: That's a very nice idea, and I think you should. I mean, I tried to do that because someone made with my grandma's recipes and I didn't. They weren't digitized. We just typed them out, got made them sit down and cook with me and record them. So I do have them. It's a very important to do tradition. I was hoping you were going to ask me a question about, you know, the difference between our recipes. Mine are based in tradition mostly and yours are.
Speaker 3: Because we didn't write down my grandfather's recipes before he passed away, but I do have on my dad's side, my grandmother left a notebook that has a couple of recipes, but it also has all of the menus from all of the parties she ever went to, with little notes that say like this I wouldn't make again, or this wasn't very good, and it's the thing. If my house was burning down, I'd grab my dogs and that book.
Speaker 1: That's very nice, so please record them.
Speaker 5: Another question, aside from your tomatoes, chess, what is your favorite ingredient to ad to your recipes?
Speaker 1: And you as well, Martha, I mean mine's eggs, because I do have a plethora of eggs. I'm now having turkey eggs and goose eggs too. If anybody here wants turkey eggs or goose eggs, let me know. I have bowls of them, and I do not and I do not. I actually do not eat my goose eggs, and I do not eat my peacock eggs.
Speaker 2: I would say for me, I use a lot of lemons.
Speaker 3: We have a fantastic lemon tree, and I should I love lemon lemons and fresh herbs. Yeah, A handful of herbs and some fresh lemon juice can make anything delicious.
Speaker 5: Yes, I was wondering, Jess, when you're in New York, where are you eating?
Speaker 3: Four Horsemen is always my favorite place to go, and I feel like a lot of the places I've been to that have opened up since I moved to LA are very similar to Four Horsemen.
Speaker 2: But not quite as good. So I'm sticking to the original.
Speaker 1: Sarah says, we should go. I haven't been. Is that new or old?
Speaker 2: It's probably old, open for a few years. Where is it in Williamsburg?
Speaker 1: Oh, that's why I haven't been. No, no, not that I have anything as Williams Verre, I just don't. It's just after a long day of work, it's hard to go out that way when I have to go that.
Speaker 2: I got you to come to Brooklyn for my Christmas party.
Speaker 1: I remember it. Oh that was so much fun. Another question right there, Jess and Martha. Pancakes or waffles? Waffles?
Speaker 2: I think pancakes for me. I love buckwheat pants.
Speaker 1: My new book has Don's waffles in it. You were going to love it was Don Down was Don Shepley from the Shepele Vineyards, and it was his recipe and it has a couple of secret ingredients in it. You're very delicious and light lightes can be a bit crispy on the outside. I do you like them pancakes? What kind of pancakes?
Speaker 2: I love buckwheat boeancas. Yeah, that's what I grew up eating.
Speaker 3: My dad always made buckwheat pancakes and like bo wheat crips.
Speaker 1: Delicious. There's another question here, what type of hydroponic gardendase?
Speaker 2: I have one called a lettuce grow Okay, I really love it.
Speaker 3: Recommend Yeah, I've never used it indoors, but you can.
Speaker 2: They make lights for it.
Speaker 3: It takes up very little space and it really you couldn't make Martha's Green juice, but you could definitely make some salad and see some things grow, which I think is pretty exciting.
Speaker 2: Got to work with the space we have.
Speaker 1: Hen there's a leonder here, what is.
Speaker 2: Your guilty pleasure to eat? I eat dark chocolate every day.
Speaker 3: I think I eat a little bit of dark chocolate every day.
Speaker 1: If I could have a really delicious piece of fruit on my counter at all times, you know, something like I love peaches and I love sour plums with with you know, those beautiful Santa Rosa.
Speaker 2: Plum I remember once I subprem to grapefruit for you.
Speaker 1: I love grapefruits and pamelos. I have a.
Speaker 3: Valentine pamelo that hasn't it hasn't produced red inside.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh, I've just gotta I just got a whole box of those for Easters. They're so delicious. I like I like citrus very guilty. Yes, I love granita of fresh citrus juices. That's a really grape ressert. Just yeah, you just freeze fresh, squeeze some oranges, freeze it, and scrape it while it's freezing. And that's that is better than any ice cream or a sorbet anything.
Speaker 2: I care.
Speaker 5: But when you where do you start on research for a cookbook and then where do you find like an endpoint in that.
Speaker 2: I don't research that much for this book.
Speaker 3: I definitely bought some vintage books from the seventies, but more just for the style of the actual book, for the fonts and photos and everything like that. But I like to really just think about what sounds really good to me, or something that I ate that really stuck with me from a trip, or even just looking out and seeing what's growing at my garden or going to the farmer's market.
Speaker 2: Do you research a lot?
Speaker 1: Well? For the hundredths book, I looked back in my archives and I did a lot of just archival work. And we're including a lot of archival photographs too in this book. Oh, the old, old kitchen pictures and cooking pictures with family, And it's fun. It's fun to stick those into the book here and there. Yeah, not too much research on this. If it were a baking book, much more.
Speaker 6: Hi, Hi, I'm right over here. I hope you don't mind if I get a little corny with y'all. But I wonder, what do you think is the perfect meal to cook someone to tell them that you love them?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Oh, you think?
Speaker 3: I think any form of cooking for someone is showing them that you love them.
Speaker 2: That's what it is. It's an act of love.
Speaker 3: But finding out what's someone's favorite thing and making them that thing, that's you know, what did I make for I forget what I made for Valentine?
Speaker 2: Oh you wanted Pavlova?
Speaker 3: I made him Pavlova on Valentine's what fruit passion fruit from Oriards passion fruit.
Speaker 1: See that's very that's very nice. Passion fruit. Are they yellow ones or green yellow? So those are the best? Yeah, we had lots of those insane parts. I agree with Jess. It's just making something, I think, something that you love as much and serve it with fervor and attention you can get other people's attention. Maybe one more question.
Speaker 7: It's kind of a big question, but right now a huge topic in the cookbook community is how artificial intelligence is taking over and creating cookbooks. So I was wondering what your thoughts are around that and whether or not you think that there's going to be a point where we as cookbook authors become obsolete or not.
Speaker 1: We're pretty much already. And no, I don't mean I don't mean that from an age point of view. I think every single one of my recipes can be found any place you look. I mean, come on, nobody bought them from me. They're just out there. Go Google has Google did it first? They scanned every single book in the universe, takes them. At the time when I first talked to the guys about how they scanned a book. It took about maybe sixteen sixteen seconds to scan a book with their machine. I mean, unbelievably fast, and now probably even faster than that. It's incredible, and there's nothing we can do. The AI owns our owns our brains. I mean, I'm talking to my masterclass, my friends at masterclass about AI. They we did a lot more filming than the master class was. You know, it ended up being like an hour and a half master class and then but we did filming for almost four days, four full days. Everything I said is now archived, and they have people asking questions. They can go into the archive and with AI reproduce my voice and get the question answered exactly as closely as possible to what the what the person asking the question wants. Just from that archival footage.
Speaker 2: We may actually be AI. You don't know.
Speaker 1: Indeed, And and and because I'm older, I would I sort of like the idea because I can live on a lot longer than you know. I'll be here for a lot longer time. That's the only reason I'd like AI. But it's it's a weird situation.
Speaker 2: Well, that's an interesting note to end on. Was there any last call for question. My friend your newts back here was raising his hands.
Speaker 1: Martha, can you tell us an embarrassing story about Jess that she wouldn't want us to know? No, her current Amora is sitting over here, so I really can't say the worst things.
Speaker 3: I remember one time we were in Chicago at the Bears Stadium doing a demo and we were doing all Thanksgiving recipes and we were making that turkey shaped cranberry yes, and I went to go flip it out seconds before we walked down stage, and it looked like an absolute murder scene. It just dropped out of the yeah, and I was horrified. But you were like, oh, okay, I guess we're not using that and just walked on stage.
Speaker 1: She was later. Yeah, anyway, thank you, thank you all so much for coming.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much, Martha.
Speaker 1: The luck of n and I do not envy you the book chore, but you'll have fun, Yeah you will. Yeah. And uh and your your fresh face. Always saw you on the Today Show. She's invading my territory and you and you did very well. They liked you. They liked you very much. Yeah.
Speaker 2: After I walked down, they ate all the.
Speaker 1: Secret they love food. They're always hungry there, but but you looked really good.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Jessin Martha, thank you both very much much, thank you