Speaker 1: Native Lampot is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Recent Choice Media.
Speaker 2: Welcome Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome Home to the Native landing on the podcast based that's it for greatness sixteen minutes. It's so hit, not too long for the crape ship, high level combo politics in a way that you could taste it then digest it. Politics touches you even if you.
Speaker 3: Don't touch it.
Speaker 2: So get invested. Across the t's and dop the IDs, get them back to get them staying on business with Rie. You could have been anywhere, but you chose us Native land Podcast, the brand that you can trust us.
Speaker 4: Welcome home, y'all.
Speaker 1: This is episode nineteen of Native LAMPI where we give it to you straight, no chaser. I am your co host for today, Tiffany Cross, Andrew Gilim and Angela.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 4: I didn't mean to say for it today.
Speaker 6: I just meant I'm your co host every day.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's all good your coast every day, but you're leading today.
Speaker 6: You're welcome home every day.
Speaker 4: Anyway.
Speaker 1: This week, will we see a black woman in the Senate. That is the question we have and we're going to get to that answer. Later in the show, and listen, there's too many Saragas out there not willing to commit to accepting election results this year, and everybody's streaming like it as a joke, but we ain't laughing. So we're gonna talk about that then. Okay, y'all have asked that, we have answered. We got to talk about family. You know, I don't have a lot to say. We're gonna toss that one miss Gilli, King of Orange and Green himself, because we want to know what is up with this two hundred and thirty seven million dollar donation donation in question we get it.
Speaker 4: Anywhere because we're getting to that. Also, are y'all watching these playoffs?
Speaker 1: Because I got so much to say about it, and I know that's why you tune in for my sports take.
Speaker 4: So we're going to get into.
Speaker 1: That and let me say, welcome to the w We'll tell you what that means later if you don't already know. But before we get into weskracking this week, I just want to throw it back real quick because I have a theory that ain't nothing new under the son. So if you're watching this fresh off the presses, we're going to take it to a throwback Thursday, on May eighteenth, and eighteen ninety six, Scotis ruled separate but equal and plus CV. Ferguson Landmark case. We're still fighting that same battle in a lot of ways. Also, it was on this very day, if you're listening, Thursday, May seventeenth, in nineteen seventy three, that the televised Watergate hearings began.
Speaker 4: Who knew a whole fifty one.
Speaker 1: Years later it would be a complete circus act still going on across all of our screens. And on this day, in May seventeenth, nineteen fifty four, a full seventy years ago today, the United States Supreme Court handed down a unanimous decision in Brown Bee Board. That is the decision that outlawed racial segregation in public schools.
Speaker 4: I have some thoughts on that, but we don't even have time to get into it.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, doing that because I think that's an interesting Okay, good, So stay tuned. We might have a mini pod coming up for you. Now that we're throwing it back, let's press it for it. Nick, make it like we're in a Freaknick documentary and drop that base.
Speaker 6: Can you twork?
Speaker 3: Though?
Speaker 7: We have a really important announcement. A lot of you all have been asking us where we're going to go, when does our live tour start? And we have breaking news here you're hearing it here. First, we're starting a live tour. But sadly, even though we always welcome you home, you can't necessarily be welcome home.
Speaker 6: To this particular live show.
Speaker 7: It is a private conference our friend Kim Blackwell is hosting Accelerate her which we are elated to be participating in. We are going to do a town hall talk and make that our Native Land podcast for next week, so you will be welcome home into the podcast at our regularly scheduled time with the audio and the video, so you'll be able.
Speaker 6: To here more then.
Speaker 7: And we also want you to know that as we start building out our dates for our live tour, that there are sponsorship opportunities, partnership opportunities for you to align with Native Land because we want to welcome you home in that way too. There will be more details about that on our social media as well as on our episode description, which I know many of you all do a full deep dive week, so.
Speaker 6: Make sure you do that. And that's that. On that are y'all excited to be in Miami.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Miami's are being with you guys. I like being with you guys in person as you know. We have a good time. I think we have cameras following us all the time because even we're not on the podcast, the most interesting conversation.
Speaker 4: We laugh, we have fun.
Speaker 3: We still have some bad behind the scenes from New York. Y'all, me too. What are we gonna do.
Speaker 7: With all the time, Tip, I don't know. You have grand plans and we have limited times.
Speaker 3: We may want to see what I have first moments, friend.
Speaker 1: Fine, fair enough, It's not like bribery footage. I don't approve my lifess Well, you have to talk to Tip, said Andrew, said Tim set his.
Speaker 6: If you see anything that.
Speaker 1: Exactly let's get into the show. You guys, y'all know, I hate talking about Trump.
Speaker 6: You gotta get over it. It's happening.
Speaker 1: I know, I know we have to talk about it, but I will tell you everything going on. Y'all talk much you want to talk about. So the trial is going on. Our our friend Don Lemon was name checked. Michael Cohen testify then h Donald Trump and Joe Biden have agreed to a debate.
Speaker 4: So that's happening.
Speaker 1: And then we have these surrogates who are who won't commit to accepting the election results no matter who wins this year.
Speaker 4: Whoever want to jump in on any of this, go for it.
Speaker 3: What you got, Angelau, you went to it. I know something I met you interested in, because it's not just the agreeing to of the debate right this. Joe Biden missed the institutional list. Mister you know believes in write and in order, and I don't dis agree with him, decided that he was going to reject the invitation of the Presidential Debate Commission. I'm not sure what the historical record is on candidates for president, certainly the incumbent president saying to the Commission on Presidential Debates that we will not participate in any of your debates. But that's what he communicated to the commission, basically saying, one y'all lost control over it the last time. The rules were broken that were agreed to by both parties and Donald Trump drove a mat truck right through it. But also the President's of Debate Commission has rules that permit the possible entry of Kennedy onto the stage, and both he and Trump can agree on one thing unanimously, and that is they do not want Joe Kennedy on on a stage with either of them. They like to pretend that he doesn't exist at all.
Speaker 6: That's Joe's jo I just want to make.
Speaker 3: I'm so sorry Joe, daddy daddy daddy Kennedy.
Speaker 1: But I don't know that presidential debates matter as much anymore. To be honest with you, Andrew, I do like that they said no audience because I think you know, it's not It's becomes such you know, Kabooki theater, and it's like we don't need to hear the cheering back and forth. Everybody, you know, crowds the room with their candidates. I don't know that they're really undecided voters out there that this will make a difference. And I know you feel a way we've all talked about, like it's a choice between Biden and Couch. Do you think this debate has any influence on who's going to show up? And I'm curious if you think these trials have any influence over the election.
Speaker 6: Can I hijack just a moment of this to say, can we please play Joe Biden's clip from Twitter.
Speaker 4: Andrew asked for that sound. We have it ready to go. Let's if we have it.
Speaker 5: Donald Trump lost two debates to me in twenty twenty since Sidy hadn't shown up for debate. Now exactly like he wants to debate me again. Will make my day, pal. I'll even do it twice. So let's pick the dates. Donald, I heard, you're free on Wednesdays.
Speaker 3: A shade.
Speaker 6: Make my day pal.
Speaker 3: No, congratulate the man on on spitting out a little light shade.
Speaker 4: I like that.
Speaker 3: I like the Wednesday reference. And for y'all who don't know, that's because the judge in Trump's and New York trial hush money trial does not hold court on Wednesdays. He takes care of other pieces of his docket. And so Joe Biden was throwing some shade basically like, yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Hear you, let's get together.
Speaker 7: All I know is the name of this podcast needs to be make my Day Pal.
Speaker 3: Oh. I like it. I appreciated the light shade, by the way, because I think Joe Biden was underestimated going into the State of the Union, and I think the man showed up, and I think he better than show up. And then I'll just say I think that that this did we talk about. We never debriefed that, which, by the way, we got some feedback from listeners like y'all asked us what we want to hear all that kind of stuff, and y'all never talked about, you know, what happened there. But I think he I think he overperformed what we're expectations, sleepy Joey and going to show up, and I think I think he overperformed that the angriest as he should.
Speaker 7: Bet it's fine, we don't have to revisit State of the Union. I guess my thing here is I appreciate that they want to have a debate or two.
Speaker 6: I want to know what they're going to talk about.
Speaker 7: I wish that some of the covers that I saw this morning even talked about what they would talk about, not just this challenge. I think if you normally this is your normal frame, it's just like this battle royale culture that we're in doesn't strive to get to the heart of issues. It really just strives to focus on the tension. And from my vantage point, I do want to see a debate on the issues, but I don't think they could, you know, are some at least one half of this debate.
Speaker 6: Cou k reallyas go toe to toe on issues, They just make stuff up.
Speaker 7: I appreciated Joe Biden saying the Presidential Commission on Debates shouldn't be involved. And it's the one thing that I've been saying since twenty sixteen, which is, how do you invite a commission in to debates? Or the commission sets the rules and says we don't the demoderator does not have to fact check you.
Speaker 6: That should be.
Speaker 7: Almost the sole responsibility of the moderator. I couldn't disagree with it more and so I I appreciate if they would just go a step further and say, the reason we don't want the Presidential Commission on Debates here is because they don't serve any purpose besides asking questions. The networks can do that themselves, and we are inviting the networks into fact check the things that are saying. Since this isn't theater, we want to make sure that this is something that folks can actually go back home and count on your votes are worthy of knowing the facts, and I think the debates provide that type of opportunity.
Speaker 6: Actually, I would prefer a crowd and audience.
Speaker 7: Andrew, I mean, you were on the stage, but I like to brag that I was on his debate prep team, and one of the things that I remember is being in the audience when Andrew debated and seeing him feed off of the energy. I actually think is really an important factor. I would like to hear what you say, sir on this. I agree, but that's the only pushback I agree.
Speaker 3: I think that Joe Biden should not be afraid of that because I actually think he's a person who gets energy from people. When you saw him at the State of the Union, his exchanges like real time in the moment, he was almost like, bring it, bring it, I'm ready, I'm agile, I can respond. The only other thing I mentioned on this TIF, which is I think going to be different than how we've seen this before, is the first debate has been set for June twenty seventh. This is probably going to be the earliest general election debate anybody remembers if it ever existed before. And I think Biden is smart to get this on the record as early as he can. That way, if there are tragic mistakes, there's enough time to rebound that we're not sitting on the eve of the election trying to correct you know, you know era now by the way, that works both ways. But I think that Biden's campaign and the President himself are betting on the fact that the more time people get to see the contrast between these two candidates, the choice that they're going to be reminded of what and who Donald Trump is. What he gave us for four years, the headache that we lived with versus what stable, steady, agile leadership from a man who, frankly, I think too many people have counted down and out, and I think he will come alive in those spaces and will probably be the general benefactor of it.
Speaker 1: I hear you guys on the energy of the candidate, but I'm thinking of the viewers at home, and I just don't know how that constant applause and eruption, like, you know, you want to hear what is your political standpoint? And I just find it hard to believe that people don't really know that. I wonder how many people actually tune in to the debate. As we've seen the numbers of State of the Union viewership has gone.
Speaker 3: Down, it is still the highest of any political event this is true.
Speaker 6: This is true.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying that they shouldn't have it. I just don't know that it will sway voters either way. I don't know what the benefit is, and I wonder who benefits from it more. I would tend to say Joe Biden.
Speaker 7: I tend to say the networks, whoever is able to it's a good point, you know, if it don't make dollars, it don't make sense. There's going to be a debate and they're all gonna be betting on it. And I think, you know, to the point if you know, I think that people are used to live sporting events.
Speaker 6: They're used to applause, they're used to noise, they're used to noise on social media.
Speaker 7: They'll be fine with whoever's making noise in the audience. But I think that they need something because the campaign in and of itself is not generating a whole lot of excitement. I think there's interest, especially for people who already have a natural political bent and interest, but folks who are on the margins, I don't think that they're paying us in justest, so maybe this is a way to get there.
Speaker 3: I think they got to be everywhere all the time, nobody is in one place.
Speaker 1: There's interest, not enough interest. I'd argue, this is something that interests me. I want to shift us a little bit. But before we go, I just want you guys to hear because no matter what happens in this debate, it will impact the next steps on the campaign trail and eventually the election, and there will be a winner and a loser come November. And if we as I think sometimes our rules in society are like pixie dust, you know, like we have to depend that everybody else agrees to participate in these rules, these social norms and mora's. We agree to stop at stop signs, we agree to stop at red lights. The MAGA Party is really desperate to disrupt that, and I abuld argue institute chaos. Take a listen to Senator Tim Scott who was on Meet the Press and at least defon It, who was also on Meet the Press. These were at different times, but listen to them when they are asked directly about accepting election results in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 4: Take a listen.
Speaker 8: Ceda, will you commit to accepting the election results of t twenty twenty four bottom line.
Speaker 9: At the end of the day, the forty seventh president of the United States, movie President Donald Trump, and I'm excited to get back to low inflation, low unemployment.
Speaker 8: Wait wait, senator, yes or no?
Speaker 10: Yes or no?
Speaker 8: Will you accept the election results of twenty twenty four no matter who wins.
Speaker 10: That is my statement.
Speaker 8: Just to be very clear, I don't hear you committed to certifying the election results. Will you only commit to certify the results if they're That means it is no, it means if they are constitutional.
Speaker 1: Okay, So you just heard two of his surrogates say they they hedged on accepting election results. And people are treating us like a joke. And I think this is setting the stage for more political violence. And I while you know, again, these networks are outside the courtroom and playing you know, Kabooki theater and looking at courtroom drawings. We're not talking about little incidents of violence. There was a man who declared war on the CIA building. I think this was in twenty twenty one, maybe twenty twenty two, the summer twenty twenty two. So all these pockets of violence are popping up. It makes me, It makes me concern. Don't if y'all don't have nothing on network.
Speaker 3: I think it's they're just saying what they're already doing, right, I mean, after they have basically tried to convince all of us that January sixth never occurred, and that if it did occur, in your minds, you're don't believe, you're lying eyes. It was a peaceful gathering of citizens making petition of their government. There was nothing wrong with that. Not that anybody died, not that they were chanting Hank Mike Pence, not that they were running through the Capitol trying to kill her. I mean, so ignore all of that. And from Stephanic to Tim Scott and my god, I soul snatched. I mean if he ever had one, because I didn't know him prior to seeing him on the national stage, but talk about a soul snatched. And the same thing for at least Defonic, who was supposedly touted. Is this reasonable New York Republican somebody that be worked with until she set eyes on Donald Trump and got, you know, seduced into playing this supporting role in Chaos slash Kabuki Theater, as you already mentioned. But I'm not surprised by these folks. I think we should.
Speaker 7: Very much says Kabuki theater. I'm sorry, talk to me like I don't get it.
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Essentially, it is it is. It is a side show. It is, it is. It's a circus. Yes, it's all of that. It's it's not real and right now, these people, unfortunately the only thing real about them is that they're in real positions of influence. But aside from that, they're not operating in reality. They exist in an alternative universe. You saw the lineup the other day outside of the Trump trial. Basically, all these guys who want to be as vice president auditioning for the position by going out and slamming the judge's daughter. Why don't you take some time and slam Justice Clarence Thomas's wife.
Speaker 4: Right, they can't.
Speaker 6: They're aligned with her, of course.
Speaker 3: But but this judge is corrupted because his daughter gives the Democrats or has helped Democrats. But Clarence Thomas, his wife, conspires to overthrow the government, and this man doesn't excuse himself from any trial related to it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm actually glad you you brought up Clarence Thomas, because Angela, I think you wanted to get in here. I wanted to bring in our viewer. We have a viewer with the question, is Angela.
Speaker 6: This is Scott and Clarence. Please you remember this. You know what?
Speaker 3: This is the shining.
Speaker 1: For for our viewers who are listening and not watching, flashing her cell phone lights into the camera.
Speaker 6: Get out and you know what I was.
Speaker 3: Like, but the shining get out. Yes, it just says.
Speaker 7: Snow Andrew, Andrew gonna get these cultural clues today. We didn't know what Kabooki Theater was, so welcome home, agent. We're gonna figure it out together. Yes, that's listen to the viewer question.
Speaker 11: This Valentine from Hyattsville, Georgia. So why is it that we as voters can't vote for these justices, the Supreme Court justices, or any justices or judges that the that the president appoint in office? Because I do believe that we should be able to vote for any any person that that are in least that is the leadership position. I do believe we should we should be the one, uh that put them in office. So please tell me what you think.
Speaker 3: Thank you, that's all right, Thank you, Valentine.
Speaker 6: I love Valentine.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening. And thank you for that question, mister Valentine. Well, I just want to correct them a little before we weigh in on what he said. You actually can vote for justices something.
Speaker 3: He said that the president appoints justice.
Speaker 1: Yes, so I understand understand the difference, but I just want to let our viewers know.
Speaker 4: If you don't, let me explain.
Speaker 1: In some states, judges are chosen just like any other government position. They're elected. In some states it's partisan, and some it's not partisan. That means that you know it's not party affiliated, that you can actually vote for them. Some states mirror the federal government's role, which Angela and Andrew will get into where they might have a nominating committee and nominate three judges and the governor is a part of that. In some states the governor selects judges from a commission. So there are a lot of ways that you become.
Speaker 4: A judge.
Speaker 1: But to your point, when it gets to the federal appointment process, Angeline and Andrew, I'm sure have a lot.
Speaker 7: I will be brief our normal policies one person answers on these questions.
Speaker 4: This one I think is worth a discussion.
Speaker 7: That's oh, I see, okay, I missed that part of my bad I miss the contextcuse now I think that he raised raises something that's a really valuable point of discussion right now, and that is, I think the significance of our vote. When you see yourself not represented in places of power, you naturally want to ensure that your voice is heard.
Speaker 6: I think typically you would expect that.
Speaker 7: The individual that you did vote for could appoint someone that is aligned with your interests or theirs. And there's so much aligned that there's not going to be a whole lot of light between the two positions. I would love for Valentine to take on a campaign where he's like, from now on, Hell, now we're voting for these Supreme Court justice because I don't know what they out here doing. And then while we're at it, maybe it doesn't need to be a lifetime appointment because y'all in here not breaking ethics rules back and forth and everything in between.
Speaker 6: Not y'all Clarence mostly. But you know, we really could put.
Speaker 7: Some more parameters on that and ensure greater accountability. So I like where he's going, and I think that if our folks, the American people writ large, felt like they could take on the system and change it. People would be more engaged overall, which is I think where we were going even with the debate conversation.
Speaker 6: So, yes, there are some judges that can be voted in. Many are appointed.
Speaker 7: There are a lot of public officials that are appointed generally at every level of government. But I think there is something to be said about having your voice heard at every level. It would be dope to see some national Supreme Court justices on ballots instead of what we got right.
Speaker 3: Now, or retention votes like you have in many states for the Supreme courts, the highest courts in the land. In many states, the citizens, if they don't elect them directly, they get to vote to retain them or not to retain them. And if you don't meet the retention threshold, you're out of there. God knows if Clarence Thomas we're on a ballot and we have the choice of whether or not to retain him or not, I guarantee we would have thrown that dude off. But you know, the truth is is and t If you talk about this often, and I appreciate you beating this horse, you know, to death. And that is the difference between how conservatives the Republicans approach appointments to the federal bench and how Democrats seem to approach the appointments. I mean, you had. This is why I think he will go down in history as the most powerful law breaking member of the United States Senate. Mitch McConnell, the current Republican leader, who stole a Supreme Court justice seat from Barack Obama. And that's just the one we know about, but ten dozens to hundreds of appointments of federal judges that they just sat on because they didn't believe that a Democrat should be able to appoint these individuals to lifetime appointments. Yet in Trump's case, months before the election, oh he can fill every seat, every vacancy that comes up, and they're you know, full stop, no, no, no hesitation. I will say, this is why I think the Senate and who's in the Senate matters so much. The United States Senate has the role of advising consent of the presidential appointments, and it shows up in no greater place than when it comes to the confirmation, advice and consent process for judicial nominees, not just the Supreme Court, but the entire federal bench and the way they have muscled this thing of late is essentially to block all democratic president's appointments. Slow drag your feet, require all kinds of hurdles and maneuvers to get through and pass the rules, and Tiff and Angela, what this takes us to is, frankly, last night's you know, this week's primary elections that occurred across a number of states that could yield some differences.
Speaker 4: Perfect segue, Andrew.
Speaker 1: Before we get into that, I just want to say really quickly that you've brought up Donald Trump, Mitch McConnell, Donald Trump during Donald Trump's one term. So think about this in terms if you got a second term. It's one term. He nominated two hundred and thirty four mostly white, mostly male judges to lifetime appointments. So we get seduced by the Supreme Court and we forget about actions that take place at the lower courts as well.
Speaker 4: And in the lower courts black women.
Speaker 1: We were excited about seeing Justice Kintanji Brown Jackson confirmed to the Supreme Court, but black women are grossly underrepresented in lower courts. And to your point, Andrew, that is why there needs to be a black woman in this We're gonna take it.
Speaker 3: Quick since I know you're gonna throw but since you brought up Donald Trump's appointments Island Cannon as as Angelou pointed out in the last episode, a Donald Trump appointment and then how many justices on the US Supreme Court appointed by this president and now reviewing whether or not this man gets to be immune. It's unbelievable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So we're gonna talk about the role of the Senate and why there needs to be a black woman in the Senate.
Speaker 4: There have only been three so far.
Speaker 1: We're gonna take a quick break, and on the other side of this break, we're going to get into that.
Speaker 4: So don't go anywhere.
Speaker 3: We're right back.
Speaker 10: Do you have had me at your dinner tables? You have believed, believe, believed.
Speaker 12: And I think thank you so much. And together tonight we have made history.
Speaker 9: We have made history, and we have done so while overcoming steep odds. So for anyone hear me who has ever felt counted out, overlooked, and underestimated, I hope you understand and share this moment and know.
Speaker 12: I hope you know that the impossible is still possible. How many of you know the impossible is still possible, and I am fully aware, and I know that you all as well. The stories like mine don't generally make it to the United States Senate.
Speaker 4: Listen to this.
Speaker 1: Of the or more than two thousand people who've served in the United States Senate, only three have been black women, and none of those three served at the same time. So you had Carol Moseley Braun I think she was the first one, Vice President, Kamala Harris, and then La Fonsa Butler who was appointed by Governor Gavin Newsom in California. This week, Angela also Brooks won the Democratic primary for senator in Maryland, so our chances are looking good at having a black woman in the Senate. There's also Lisa Blant Rochester who's running in Delaware. Angela, Andrew, you and I, all of us have talked about this. Angela and I are in a group chat with our lady friends. And Andrew our group chat that we all have together. We've talked about black women in the Senate. We've dissected these races at nauseum. I'm curious, Angela, you and I have talked a lot about I've asked your opinion a lot. I was like, do you think also Brooks is going to win this election. Curious your whole thoughts about black women in the Senate, but also curious your thought about Angela Alsibrooks.
Speaker 7: I want to congratulate Angela also Brooks on her win. H there are some things that I wish that she would have done, and maybe what I was recommending with a backfired. I thought that she should have confronted David Trone saying jigaboo in a congressional hearing.
Speaker 4: You know, can you tell us that story briefly?
Speaker 7: If you just google David Trone jigaboo, you'll see that he says jigaboo. He claims even to say bug a boo in a committee hearing in the House.
Speaker 6: And right after that a.
Speaker 7: Number of CBS CBC members who are his current colleagues came out to endorse Angela also Brooks in the race. He said some other things that were disparaging along the way, spent a lot of money.
Speaker 6: I think there's an actual experience. Interesting.
Speaker 7: Wow, there's a very interesting case study to be held on when resources matter in states and when they really don't. And I think that this is one of those really interesting case studies where money did not win you the race, and so I think that the party actually also has to do a deep dive on when and how they spend resources, because we've been taught in politics that if you throw money at a thing, that you will win, and that is not always the case. So I think there's a remarkable case study here on this. But I congratulate Angela also brooks.
Speaker 4: Congress to her. I have to say I was looking to hear from her.
Speaker 1: I think our sister friend Joy Reid has one of those platforms where if you are a she speaks to everybody, but particularly she has a strong army of black women who tune into her, and I kept looking to see Angela also works because I thought that conversation would be a good exchange, and I have to say I was disappointed I didn't see her there. And so often I don't know if this is the case because I wasn't talking to her campaign and dealing with them. But so often we will hire white consultants, white people hailing our comms, and they will put you in places like Honestly, I don't know anybody who watches the Sunday morning talk shows that much anymore who look like us, you know of our our our type of people who and I don't mean even just black folks, I mean like you know, on the younger side, and you know, people who are somewhat aware. I've never heard somebody say, oh my gosh, I gotta go because meet the Press is on, and sometimes they have a habit of putting people in traditional places. So I hope to see Angela Alsilbrooks now that the primary is over and she's in the general facing Republican Larry Hogan, who we don't have a lot of nice things to say about. He is still the party of Donald Trump. I hope to see her on that flat.
Speaker 3: Is general election, right, I mean Hogan won governor's race and a Democratic you know, for all intent and purpose, Maryland is considered a Democratic, a solidly blue Democratic state. I will tell you, if there is to be a state that would produce a black US senator, Maryland is cut out of the you know, the mold is cut out from that state. It has a high I think it probably a plurality of black voters in its Democratic primary. It's probably to your point, Angelo, where one of the reasons why money didn't get to have the kind of outsized impact that it might normally have. I had a similar situation in my race in Florida, terribly outspent in the primary. We just needed enough for people to know my name and that I was a candidate on the ballot. I think, and and I was impressed to see that that Democratic nominee also also Brooks, I think, as of time of recording, had two hundred and forty three thousand votes and her column compared to former Governor Hogan who had one hundred and forty seven thousand, and again he only you know, there were two competitive primaries, both in the Democratic and the Republican side, and she beasted on the numbers. And if they're able to replicate that without you know, really many forced eras heading into November, I think it'll be a good look. I will say in her speech last night, I think, and I know we've got some sound and I'm not sure if this will be included, but you know, there was a lot of time spent on sort of safety crime. I think that's kind of this poll page from the from the Democratic playbook on these statewide races, and I would just caution the double edged sword when talking about that, particularly for her as a former prosecutor, and a state like balt and a state like Maryland with a city like Baltimore that has had consent decrees passed down against you know, their law enforcement agencies and the collusion between them and their prosecutors up until the point of by the way Marilyn Moseby, where that formal handoff was really disrupted, and she said, accountability has to apply to everybody, and when after law enforcement officers who themselves were breaking the laws. So I would just, you know, I caution on that that you don't try so hard to get to the right that you stumble over step, over break the necks of the folks who bought it to the party trying to get to the prom and you fall short. So I'm wishing her well, and let's hear the sound.
Speaker 10: And thinking about what's on the line in this election.
Speaker 13: I hear the stories of those I've had the privilege.
Speaker 10: Of meeting all across our states.
Speaker 13: Seniors like my father who thought that they would retire but are back at work to cover the cost of medication and groceries. Young families who find new ways to stretch a dollar each month so that their kids don't miss out on the class trip or the team sport that they love so much. Patients who are holding off on treatment.
Speaker 10: Because because it was too far or too expensive.
Speaker 13: Healthcare providers who worry that political games in Washington will prevent them from giving their patients medically necessary care. Women all across Maryland who fear that politicians will take away our right, our fundamental right to make our own health care decisions.
Speaker 10: These are the stakes of this.
Speaker 13: Election, and it's why our work must start tonight.
Speaker 1: I thought that piece was very good, But Andrew, I think the points you were making, and that is part of my challenge, right. I think sometimes you go so far to the other side to try to appeal to a base who's already left you. But you and Angela both touched on something that I think is so crucial to why we haven't seen as many black women in the Senate, and that is the donor class. It is largely white and male and who they consider to be a viable candidate, and it is the party who the party chooses to support their institutos from the D TRIP, the d SEC, and the D TRIP, the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee. Angelia will correct me if I get these wrong. The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, So these entities and the DNC on who they consider viable candidates can be I think a challenge. Incumbency is an issue. I was really rooting for val Demings in Florida. She was running against, you know, an incumbent and Senator Marco Rubio. That's a challenge. So it's a lack of support, a lack of funds. I don't know how we disrupt that, but you see, when we do, dare to disrupt it. You heard Angela also books in her victory speaks say stories like mine don't often make it to the United States Senate. And I think it's a part doing whatever you can. If you shoot, get out there and run for something. And if you can't run, donate something. If you can't donate, go knock on doors for something. But we can shape this democracy when we have the courage to do so.
Speaker 3: Tiffany, I love that point and the other thing that I love about her speeches. She said, I've got three people that I must think before I go any further, and that is Lotti, Dottie and everybody.
Speaker 6: I thought that was a relatable, you know.
Speaker 3: Piece and remarks The reason why I wanted the clip that we played of the comments she made is that you can insert any Democratic candidate running for a statewide US Senate seat on the Democratic side in any state and you're pretty much going to hear that same order. Delivery may be different. They may insert their own sort of stories, but the playbook is going to look the same. And what I would caution on that because I think similar things happened for Valdemings in Florida, and that loss was nearly nineteen points or twenty points, twenty one points, maybe it was. And the same electric that you know, the difference between me and my opponent, and that same electric was point, you know, zero three, So there was a huge slide there. And I think part of that is is that, Yeah, the DSCC may have a playbook, y'all, but when you're running in your state, be in your state, adopt the issues of your state, talk about what's happening in your state because the federal stuff. The playbook may work some places, but for us, particularly candidates of color who are not typical to many of these ballots at statewide races, we have to do it differently. We don't get afforded the luxury of the pull and play model for running these races. We have to show up one as ourselves believable, and two we have to run our races like our heart sind you nerve will dictate, not like some playbook, because I think it's been a failing strategy for us.
Speaker 14: Even when I decided to run for Congress, I had never run for anything in my life. I had just been widowed the year before I decided to run, and I was over fifty, all of those things that people say, oh, you can't do it. And I think that this moment, the fact that I'm running, the fact that there are other black women who are running, the fact that you know, we have historic candidates that are stepping up at all levels, not just in the Senate. Really, I hope inspires others to just do their part, whatever that is, whether it's running or running a campaign or contributing. My best friend she said, I don't have money to give you, but I could make you patsa spaghetti and beef stew.
Speaker 4: And that's what she did for me.
Speaker 14: So I think this moment is a special one to me personally. You know, it is not lost on me that there are currently no black women in the Senate, and so to be able to represent is important and also and probably more equally is important to me. It's representing my state, you know, that is important to me as well. So I don't people ask like, what does it feel like to make history? And I think for many of us, we're not thinking about making history. We're thinking about doing the work.
Speaker 7: Didn't have a choice, so she's making history hopefully, but also she knows that she doesn't have a choice.
Speaker 6: She always is going to serve.
Speaker 7: I don't want to say two masters, but two different entities, and sometimes those are competing interest being an elected official and a fully black body, and also having to represent the interests of your constituents that may or may not look like the community you come from. So I think it's always a profound conundrum that our folks find theirselves in themselves in. And we also are stuck with campaign entities like the DSc that don't recognize it, that don't hire consultants that look for look towards doing things that are represent our best interests.
Speaker 6: Andrew, you hit the nail on the head.
Speaker 7: You were able to go rogue for so long because you were not the person they picked. And by the time they picked you, you had already built your campaign on authenticity and who you actually are. And I just hope that more candidates are able to carve out that courageous lane because we will not see a bench that continues to grow without.
Speaker 4: That and having people.
Speaker 1: I also think Angela, you being on the trail with Andrew, like she talked about her best friend, was like, I kind of have money, but I can make you spaghetti. I think you're having to tribe around you to do things like that Angela and that person so many times. Yeah, and just real people around you aren't yes people who are gonna tell you the real So all those things matter. Andrew, I have a.
Speaker 4: Question for you.
Speaker 3: I think I know where you're going.
Speaker 4: W t S is going on at FAM.
Speaker 1: You don't answer, We're gonna take a break. But on the other side, I need to know.
Speaker 6: No, I love y'all, I'm nervous. I'm trying for y'all.
Speaker 1: We love you, FAM. You, We're rooting for y'all. All right, don't go anywhere, don't go anywhere you go. You gotta pay some bills. But the other side, FAM.
Speaker 12: You.
Speaker 2: Welcome, welcome, welcome, Welcome, welcome, welcome.
Speaker 3: On behalf of the batter Send I think batter Send Family Trust.
Speaker 14: We want to present it to university with a special gift save you about.
Speaker 6: Two hundred and thirty seven million dollars.
Speaker 4: Guys, all right, we got to talk about sham you.
Speaker 1: That was the voice of a previously unknown, mysterious thirty year old Texas hemp farmer who gifted gifted in quotes Florida A and M universe grifts hundred and thirty ooh, who grifted Thank you, angel who griffed two hundred and thirty seven million dollars.
Speaker 4: But less than one week.
Speaker 1: That joyous applause that you heard it turned into skepticism and questions abound about who exactly is this guy, does he actually have this money, and whether the university sufficiently vetted the gift. Now fam you has paused the deal while it further assesses the donation's value from a company which really appears to have limited an amateurist online presence zero for an allegedly highly successful business zero. As Angela says, there's also a number or there's also significant reporting from a number of outlets about Garami. I believe it's how you pronounce his name, who previously backed out of a ninety five million dollar pledge to Coastal Carolina University. For more on this, we turned to our president, expert and senior family analyt. I just said one thing for you, says something remarkably intelligent.
Speaker 3: Please, I.
Speaker 6: Just have one flag.
Speaker 7: If you go back to the picture of this man at the commencement speech, anybody that was wearing a COVID pandemic related mask from the dollar tree, and the mask is down here. It's not even on your nose, it's just down here a mask. Follow if you can't afford to buy a new mask, Sir, you ain't got turned in thirty seven million dollars to give us?
Speaker 4: Like what are we doing?
Speaker 3: What are we even talking about?
Speaker 6: Nobody vetted, Nobody added how he's looking at the graduation.
Speaker 4: Like are well these tell us? Because you're on the border and you have breaking news? I think you there is.
Speaker 3: Andrew, Listen, I'm hurt. I'm really hurt by this. I mean, I love I love I love my institution, and I love HBCUs And the announcement of a gift of that size two hundred and thirty seven million which by the way, is double fam USE current endowment and famuse current endowment is probably double that of the majority of HBCUs in the country, with exceptions that we would all be able to click off, you know, real quick, those are the ones that always get you know, uh, donations of that size. But just to put it in perspective, and I don't I don't, I don't say this defensively, but to say that, oftentimes HBCUs are not the benefactors of these size individual gifts. Typically. You know, if if you're at an HBCU, you're getting these kinds of gifts and not of that size, by the way, But if they do come, they're coming from the government or they're coming from some corporate entity. This this, this, I mean, Angela, you must have been. You must have been in my text messages because everybody, first of all, I will say, the moment this thing came across the feed, rattlers across the nation took to the internet being like, he ain't my classmate, who all know him? I mean, it was basically like you might fake, you might fake the handshake of the frat, but soon enough is about to catch up with you because somebody has to know you, right, So nobody knows the guy as they start, you know, making the rounds, and in short order people start to pop up what is readily available out there about the guy, which is that he's got no footprint whatsoever. The woman he's named as the co president of his company, you know, goes out and does an interview says, I've never even worked for that company he four years prior to this point. This money supposedly comes from his business and a family trust, an inheritance, except a go fund Me account was set up for his mother's health illness and for his brother's funeral, a go fund Me account that was publicly out there on the web for anybody to see. So the lack of vetting on this has flamoxed the board of trustees.
Speaker 4: Question.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the board of trustees, the family foundation, all of which you learned of this gift on the day of the announcement being made insane And that is because he forced the university leadership into a NDA, which I didn't even know were legal for public institutions in the state of Florida. But however, the university agreed to an NDA and then the final executing agreement y'all that was made public didn't even have the man's signature on this signature line. It is up to But I will tell you because as we are recording, as we are taping, as we're speaking with each other. Right now, the Family Board of Trustees is meeting for the first time since the announcements of this gift and their immediate skepticism about its truth. And a few moments ago I received a text stating that the vice president and the executive director over the Fam You Foundation, which is the recipient organization, the direct support organization of Fam You, the institution who would be the recipient of this two hundred and thirty seven million, the executive director has stepped down from that role. She is, as I know her, of very talented woman. She's also the dean of School of Business and Industry and accomplished graduates herself. Say that again she's going to maintain that position, but she will leave the Fam You Foundation again, which was the sort of negotiating organization here. And just so that anybody is confused, how do we get to this number two hundred and thirty seven million? What the god did this holster did? Was said, he transferred what he valued as two hundred and thirty seven million and stock of his non publicly traded company. And because it is non publicly traded, it actually has no value. You can't actually apply value other than the value that he says it has. So according to experts, the value could be anywhere from zero to three hundred million.
Speaker 7: And I just don't understand how this is not criminal? How is this not criminal?
Speaker 6: Do you guys.
Speaker 4: Know it.
Speaker 7: Gets criminal. It's it's massive for you. So I'm just trying to understand what we're doing here, because you know where we're out here on the front lines of a whole case around fraud, that where there's a whole public battle. But this is what's going on anyway. The one thing that I wanted.
Speaker 6: To flag here is the largest.
Speaker 7: Gift to an HBCU in history before this gift of dust was one hundred million dollars to Spellman from Rohnda Striker and William Johnston earlier this year.
Speaker 6: One hundred million dollars. That's the largest gift in history.
Speaker 7: So he more than doubled it in dust and embarrassed this not only the like sole a moment at the commencement for the twenty four graduates.
Speaker 6: No, of course he did, but it doesn't matter.
Speaker 7: Like somebody, there should be a robust very you know, a detailed background check, looking at his assets, verifying where the actual money is in the bank before you do anything like that. I sit on a board of an HBCU. I sit on the Wilberforce board. This would not happen at Wilberforce. There are too many people who are business professionals who would be like, no, no, no, before we sign an NBA, these are the things that we have to verify. So it's just mind blowing to me that he got this far with his little cheap ass dollar tree mask on at the graduation, making a mockery of one of our best and brider institutions.
Speaker 6: It is insanity.
Speaker 1: Deverron Gibbons, he's a vice president and a family board of trustees and Angela. It sounds like he feels like you and I do. Just want to say because he has questions too, so you know, the questions to to blame. But let's just take a listen to hear what mister Gibbons had to say.
Speaker 15: I would ask, you know, what is the valuation, who did the valuation? What was to deep dive in background on Matterson Farms and or the donor. What obligations does the university have?
Speaker 1: So Angela, all the questions that you say should have been asked. At least there is somebody out there saying these who agrees with you and has a fiducial responsibility to the university.
Speaker 3: And Trustee Gibbons is on the fam YOU Board of Trustees. Y'all should have heard the FAMU Foundation's board meeting which was which was intense and at that level you had finance experts on famu's board foundation board who were asking questions that I had. I wouldn't know where to begin or in and I said on fam USE Board of Trustees, but I have to tell you the university, the university committed a huge fail for fam you to be the largest single campus HBCU in the United States, for us to produce more baccul laureate, masterial, and doctoral degree holders of any institution in the country, to have been listed as the number one college, beating out Harvard University now twice with our recruitment of national merit scholars, producing more of those graduates than any other institution at one time. It is it's extremely embarrassing, Yes, but it is also deeply hurtful. And so while I definitely have to take fam use leadership to task, and I'll do that another way on another day, I also want to take to task this what I think has to be undiagnosed or maybe diagnosed narcissist and maybe even worse fraud fraudster who who made a habit prior to us It was Coastal Carolina University where he made a uh some tens of million dollars game a commitment there. So but but folks out there who are shysters like this, like where do you get off? What? What satisfaction do you get being being demonstrated to the whole world as a fraudster and then taking a distinguished institution and dragging it through the mud. And not because we didn't go unwillingly, because there was a lot of willing walking that took place before the dragging. It just it's very upsetting and given the needs of our HBCUs around the country, not just fam but across the board, this is a devastating blow and I believe that additional heads are going to have to roll here.
Speaker 4: Yes, and well keep us posted.
Speaker 1: Andrew because this is this is definitely and literally in your backyard.
Speaker 4: Just to yeah literally.
Speaker 1: And you you know are you are in FAMU and of fam you in every way somebody can be. As I close this out, I do just want to point out that big philanthropy support of HBCUs declined from two thousand and two to twenty nineteen. This is from an organization called Candidate, who published philanthropy and HBCUs foundation funding to HBCUs. Comparatively, Ivy League schools received a combine five point five billion dollars in philanthropic dollars from twenty fifteen to twenty nineteen, compared with HBCUs three hundred and three million.
Speaker 3: And you know, we're under assault on both sides, right. We talked about TSU earlier, So the state sponsor schools are trying to shutter them, and then you've got the private donations being down at these institutions. Don't let this serve as a reflection of the great work that is happening to produce these graduates on these HBCU campuses. This was a failure at a staff level and a leadership level, and those folks have to be accountable to that. But make no mistake, y'all. If you're making a choice around attending in HBCU, you make that choice based off of the merits of the programs. It's its reputation of its graduates and its degrees and not including of some individuals.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're coming up on the mountain, but you've produced the largest black professionals and fields of medicine, law, engineering, and war. So HBC you strong, HPC pride. All right, we got to take a quick break, but I got a question for Angel, and come back, Angel. I want to know what is the latest with Marilyn Moseby. You've been all over her situation and we want to make sure that we're doing everything we can and want to be supportive. So I want to get the latest on that and what you've all been waiting for. My Hot Sports.
Speaker 3: Tape, the Hot Sports bills.
Speaker 4: We'll see you on the other side of this.
Speaker 8: Is a place where basketball mount beautiful pass.
Speaker 4: So if you catch it, if.
Speaker 9: You love the.
Speaker 3: Basketball, accoudible, welcome to the w.
Speaker 1: All right, Welcome back, everybody. I got a question. Have you all been watching the games? I think, okay, let me.
Speaker 4: Yes, I have.
Speaker 1: I've been super into it, so on Tuesday night the w n B A I watched the WNBA game and My Knicks because I've designed there my team. My Knicks was facing off with the Pacers, and I was torn because these games are playing at the same time and I have not been this torn since they put a different world up against flipping back and forth trying to keep up. And I gotta say, I feel like a trader because I was watching more of the Knicks game just because I had been following them. But I did watch Caitlin Clark ball on that court.
Speaker 4: I'm just into it.
Speaker 6: I'm she got Molly wopped sis.
Speaker 4: I know they lost, but I still with her first television.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, I'm glad that you pointed that out because this is well, Angela's make a good point about her getting Molly wopps because because Angela's looking at the score, well, her assessment of the mollywopification I think is something worth talking about. But I think Angela's point is not all about Caitlin Clark. There are other people, and head coach of the Minnesota Link, Cheryl Reef, has something to say about that. I'm sorry, Angela, we're playing the head coach of the links. They played the Seattle Storm, and Angela's gonna tell us why. She She might have a guess she would this sound bite, but let's hear from Cheryl Reeve.
Speaker 16: The growth is happening so fast, it's so accelerated. And I've been saying this in our own organization that business as usual isn't gonna work anymore. You're gonna get left behind. Certainly, Caitlin's first game, you know, they were going to value I'm all for that.
Speaker 3: I get it.
Speaker 16: You know, people want to see that, but they also want to see you know, it's not just about Caitlin, you know, and it isn't Caitlyn's fault in any way. It's more, you know, the recognition that there's general excitement about the w m A in ways that we haven't seen before, and so we have to capitalize, you know.
Speaker 6: To really ensure that this is a movement.
Speaker 16: We have to capitalize on those things.
Speaker 1: I thank you, right, Angela. I we missed each other. We were calling each other What were you doing Tuesday? While I was watching two basketball games? What were you doing?
Speaker 7: I was at the Seattle Storm season opener. One of the three of us kept our promise to go to a season opener of the w n b A and I represented on behalf of all of you because that's what family does, and so did Mom and popa Rye. So we sat almost court side. Courtside was actually sewed out in the town.
Speaker 6: Which is great.
Speaker 7: But we were a couple of rows back and we were very much so enjoying a very competitive game. And then there was a breakout moment in the fourth quarter with the Lynx and Seattle lost by thirteen points, but I am elated to welcome anneka a Gooma, kay and Skyler.
Speaker 6: Why can't I think of Skyler's last name right now? Skyler?
Speaker 7: Uh, I know better than this. I know Skyler. Like anyway, this is bad. Let me look at Skyler, Digg and Smith. I was trying to say, William so bad.
Speaker 3: And I don't know why.
Speaker 1: Skyler killed it. Anecca killed it and they this was like there.
Speaker 7: This is their first season with the Storm and just to watch them melding with their new team is great. Definitely miss Stewie and all of that good stuff. And so Sue Bird is now part of the ownership group. She got a standard ovation which was amazing. But yeah, it's it's it's I think it's gonna be a great season, and and watching the melt was good. My dad is one of the people who's like, at two minutes left, if your team is getting molly wipped, it's like, we gotta go, let's go, let's speak the crowd. So I was like, he's like, we got here.
Speaker 1: So you're a Storm fan in the w n B A, do you have a team on the NBA side?
Speaker 6: You know, I had a team.
Speaker 7: They were called the Seattle SuperSonics, and Howard sold them to Oklahoma City Thunder or Oklahoma City and they became Oklahoma City Thunder to everybody else. To me, they're the Oklahoma City thunder cat because I'm still mad years later. But yeah, I think I've always been a Lakers fan. I was a Laker girl for Halloween in the fifth grade. You know, we can we can claim that. And then I just mostly like to see a good game, Tiff, you know, like we advt What I like.
Speaker 1: I know that is I like to see a competitive game. Skylar charge it to my head and not my heart. Yeah, Angela out here fighting for causes. So she and managed to go to the game.
Speaker 3: So we love I do hope that we don't run away from standout players in the w NBA out of out of a fidelity to you know, wanting to say, you know, everybody contributes, everybody makes this thing work, and that kind of thing. You know, we didn't do that a lot with with with Magic and with Jordan. You know, they they were what they were. People appreciated what the what the supporting casts did in order to make those teams as great as they were. But you know, sometimes it takes that kind of individual to then make the attraction, make the game, you know, more attractive, and then people start to have other kinds of favorites. But if you can get eyes on the game based off of the celebrity of one or two or three, I say do that and then let the teams work speak for itself.
Speaker 10: Let's let well, the.
Speaker 1: Same thing happened in the NBA. The w NBA last year thirty six million total unique viewers. That was their hot and that wasn't twenty twenty three. It was the highest figure since two thousand and eight. It was a twenty seven percent increase. They also brought in more than two hundred million dollars in revenue as a WNBA with a huge increase in fans. Now the NBA, by contrast, is bringing in one point six million viewers across networks. But it wasn't always like that. The NBA's had a fifty year head start, and there was a time where people weren't watching. And I can tell you I know that the Lakers were instrumental in increasing NBA viewership. And I know this because it was well documented in HBO's Winning Time, starring a very impressive ensemble cast. So I know all about the showtime, Lakers and very beach.
Speaker 4: They don't like that, they do not. I don't know, Angela. One day, this might be a mini pod.
Speaker 1: I want you to tell me why everybody had a problem with HBO's Winning Time, because I thought it was great. And I just want to say this real quick in case y'all know something about it. Remember we were talking about selling the tv LI licensing deals. Well, the Ringer podcast or Bill Simmons, he claims that it's already done and he thinks that NBC is getting it. So I'm just sharing that here for the licensing deals because I'm I'm all into all aspects of these sporting.
Speaker 3: Games starting to impress me girl.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's what I worked for.
Speaker 1: And when football season starts, we'll have a little debrief and then we'll figure out who my team is there. But I'm figure out, guys. I love talking about this topic with you, guys. I'm very excited and shout out to the devil.
Speaker 3: I will tell you r J in my household thought you were an expert until she heard us joke and she was like, you mean to tell me She not? I said, she is an expert.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I am an expert, and thank you r J for recognizing.
Speaker 7: My especially on the media side, like the news that great when you talk about I cannot think of Skyler's Skyler digg and Smith.
Speaker 1: It will never happen against his. I'm sorry, Skyler digg and Smith. I'm gonna remember your name from now. I'm happy, though, Angeline, all seriousness that you got to take your parents at the Seattle Storm game. I feel like you've been working really hard. You need a breather, which is going to bring us to our next topic, because I do. I want to know what's the latest with Marilyn Moseby, and I want to know what you need from us and what Maryland needs from us and how we can be the most supportive.
Speaker 7: You know, thank you number one. Are you guys regularly are shouting me out? But this really was a platform that created space for us to share Marylyn's story when a lot of people weren't listening. There are so many people out there that still believe because there was a press release that went out from DJ or because there were negative articles in the Baltimore Banner or the Baltimore Sun, or on this you know this person's Twitter feed, that it automatically means fact.
Speaker 6: Andrew, I know you know firsthand.
Speaker 3: I know it too well.
Speaker 7: That that is not the case, and so I would I would challenge you all first as this call to action, our collective call to action, to please please interrogate the facts. Do not take whatever headlines word for it. It does not mean it's true. Marilyn Moseby is in and should not be facing forty years in prison. She is scheduled to be sentenced on May twenty third. The prosecution has requested that she served twenty months.
Speaker 6: Imagine wasting millions.
Speaker 7: Of dollars of taxpayer resources to go back and not even ask for two years in prison. Not that we want her to serve any time in prison. But imagine the millions of dollars your money that was wasted over her money that she needs to acquire property. Her money, her retirement money, which that she contributed to every.
Speaker 3: Other her salary, her salary stuff.
Speaker 6: It's her retirement account.
Speaker 3: Her check is salary that she defers. That's the point I was going to.
Speaker 6: But it was pulled out of her check every time.
Speaker 3: Absolutely her money.
Speaker 7: But I'm saying for some people deferred as hard. It's her retirement account. Some people have four oh one ks. Some people call them deferred compensation plans. On the hill is the thrift savings plan, whatever you call it. It's her money that was pulled out of her check every couple of weeks for eight years, and she didn't withdraw the full amount.
Speaker 6: Here's where we are now.
Speaker 7: Marilyn Moseby has filed her pardon application with the United States Department of Justice pardon attorney.
Speaker 6: Her name is Liz Oyer.
Speaker 7: Liz has the responsibility of reviewing that pardon application and submitting her recommendation to the President. Make your request known to the White House. Let them know how you feel about pardoning Marilyn Moseby. Know that a historic almost sixty lawyers signed on to Marilyn Moseby's pardon application. That never happens. It's normally one person is maybe a couple sixty almost sixty lawyers including Barry Sheck, Ben Crump, Bacari, sellers, so many that sign. Barbara Arnwine like legend in yeah in the legal field signed onto this. So Sean Chapman, Holly, I can keep naming people, but thank God for all of you, the Mario, so many of y'all, and of course Jeff Trevillion was the lead attorney on the part app.
Speaker 6: I just want you all to apply pressure.
Speaker 7: If you can show up in Green Belt, Maryland next week at ten thirty am Eastern.
Speaker 6: Show up.
Speaker 7: If you haven't shared the petition with your friends and family yet, send it. If you want to write a letter, if you want to send an email to the White House saying what is taking y'all so long?
Speaker 6: Do it?
Speaker 7: Just keep interrogating what happened? Look up Leo Wise, Look up Larry Hogan. We talked about Angela also Brooks earlier in this show. Larry Hogan will be her opponent. This man single handedly tried to destroy Marilyn Moseby's legacy. He tried to take away the funding from her prosecutorial office. This man should not see another day in office in any way, shape or form in Maryland. Look at all of these players, you will see that these are a bunch of people that were out to sit make an example out of a progressive black woman prosecutor. And she is not the only one. There are other folks coming forward. You will hear about them very soon. Justice from Marilynmosby dot com. To sign the petition and please interrogate these facts. Y'all, do not take a headline's word for it. Even if you don't, just listen to me, ask me questions, challenge what we are saying about this. But I promise you this is a grave injustice and we must stand up and be her.
Speaker 3: That's real.
Speaker 1: You know, we did Don Lemon's shows and the way that you laid it out. Thanks shout out to Don Lemon and thank you Don support Don so, thank you Don for having us. But the way that you laid it out on Don show where you talked about like this is the confluence of three powerful white men, Donald Trump, Larry Hogan and Leo Wise, who are targeting a strong, fierce black woman who was trying to disrupt the status quo in the very unforgiving criminal justice system that disproportionately targets us. So this boomerang that's happening, I think, you know, when we all remember that moment in American history, you cannot tell the story of America the past twenty years without telling the story of Marilyn Moseby and when she stood on that line and said, our time is now. I just feel like we can't abandon cord in this moment. So people, yes, and so all the people who keep it's more than just liking a post, sharing about like hashtag. Activism has to go further. So for the people who it frustrates me, and I appreciate y'all support. But for the people who are asking, well, how do you sign a petition?
Speaker 4: Where is it? Google works wonders.
Speaker 1: You can google Marylynd Mosey petition, You can google Marilyn Moseby. Angela just gave the sight justice for Marilyn Moseby. Please do as much as you can. If everybody does a little, nobody has to do a lot. Call the White House, call your representative, whatever you can make noise, make this heard. May twenty thirds show up like. These are easy things if you can physically be there, great if you can't. The Internet works, wonders, Google works, wonders. Make your voice, not share it in your group chats. Do do better than the best, that you can do, more than you thought you could do. And imagine if it for you in this situation, would you like to be right? And there is no victim here? That's the important things which Marilyn is exactly.
Speaker 3: She is the vica because this woman had the audacity to make true, to make real that no person, no man, woman, child, or otherwise is above the law. That was it. Yeah, she challenged the system that not in words, but in practice reserved space for some people to be above the law, especially if you had a badge. And she said, no person is And they said, oh you is that right? Well let's see what we can do with you.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, I think that can serve as our collective call to action. UH for the three of us Angela, we continue to thank.
Speaker 4: You for your work for all God said.
Speaker 1: Wouldn't even you know a lot of people would know about this case were it not for you. So we just want to thank you and honor you for that.
Speaker 7: Even the petition is by Native Lampard and I just want you all to know you don't have an excuse to be silent, because even my stomach is hollering throughout all this podcast.
Speaker 6: I don't know if you all have heard it the entire time. It's like barking.
Speaker 10: I hear you.
Speaker 4: I'm starving, I'm.
Speaker 3: I don't know what.
Speaker 6: Sorry.
Speaker 1: If you got.
Speaker 3: A note, yes, happy birthday to my son Davis.
Speaker 7: He turns seven by seven.
Speaker 3: That's our James birthday was last week and this upcoming Sunday, Jay will graduate with their NBA from America University, American Washington. Jesus have Mercy, George, George and my twins will turn ten double digits on Sunday, So we got to.
Speaker 6: That is a vasy.
Speaker 4: Nephews and cocktails.
Speaker 1: It'll be birthday cocktails, congratulation cocktails.
Speaker 6: I love you, Jay, Jay, you are a rock. We love you.
Speaker 7: You're a rock and a rock star. And to all the babies, I love these babies, Caroline. Every great men call me if they try to give you any more allergy medicine never again.
Speaker 4: On my watch.
Speaker 3: You're a worst wonders don't listen.
Speaker 6: He's not drugging his kids, y'all. Just he the baby had an allergic I didn't like.
Speaker 4: Only Andrew and Angeline know that I don't want her.
Speaker 6: I'm benadryl.
Speaker 4: Before we welcome home, y'all.
Speaker 1: Before we end the show, I do want to remind everyone to leave us a review and subscribe to Native lampod. When you do that, it really does help elevate the platform. Share the platform. If you like what we do here, share our content, tell your friends, subscribe. Download all the things. We're available on all platforms and YouTube. Our audio drops first, YouTube drop next, so show us love wherever you can. You can listen first and then watch later. If you like, we take you in all forms. New episodes drop every Thursday. You can follow us on social media. We are Tiffany Cross, angela Ryan Andrew Gillum.
Speaker 4: Welcome home, y'all.
Speaker 1: There are one hundred and seventy two days until.
Speaker 4: Election days morning.
Speaker 2: Thank you for joining the Natives attention of with the info and all of the latest Rock Gillim and Cross connected to the statements that.
Speaker 4: You leave on our socials.
Speaker 2: Thank you sincerely for the patients reason for your choices. Clear, so grateful it took to execute roads. Thank you for serve, defend and protect the truth even in past.
Speaker 4: Well, welcome home to all of the natives.
Speaker 3: We thank you.
Speaker 6: Welcome y'all, Welcome.
Speaker 1: Native Lampard is the production of iHeartRadio and partnership with Reason Choice Media. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iheartradioio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.