Speaker 1: Witness insurmountable deficits turn into unforgettable victories at the Travelers Championship, the northeast one and only PGA Tour signature event. See Scotty Scheffler, Worry McElroy, Victor Howlin, Patrick Cantley, and returning champion Keegan Bradley, as well as other PGA Tour stars in all four days of the competition at close by TPC River Highlands. The excitement tees off June nineteenth through the twenty third. For tickets and information, visit Travelers Championship dot com. The Travelers Championship there is only one. It's the Son of a Butcher podcast. I'm your host, Claude Harmon. Coming off of a very very excited PGA Championships Xanderschoffle gets his first major and wanted to take a deep dive into it, so figured we would get one of the voices of professional golf, Steve Sands, NBC Golf Channel. I think he's one of the best in the business and had him on the pod before. But it was a very very interesting week at Valhalla and a lot of storylines, just a lot of craziness from last week, so I wanted to get Steve Sands on to talk about it, and I think it is a good one. So sit back and enjoy listening to Steve Sands my guest today, Steve Sand's Voice of Golf on Golf Channel and NBC Sansy at the beginning of the week. Beginning of the week at the PGA, if I told you the headlines were going to be Scotti, Scheffler gets arrested, Rory McElroy's getting divorced, Xander closes, Bryson has a chance to win another major and is a fan favorite. I mean, does any of that track with with what we thought was going to happen?
Speaker 2: It makes perfect sense, Scott. I mean, that's exactly the way the world has been the last you know, eight or nine years, the last three or four years. In the sport. It makes all the sense in the world that a guy who sleeps with a Bible, who's the hottest player on the planet, it's the most recognizable person in the sport outside of Tiger, just outside the gates at a major championship, would get into some type of disruption or discussion with a police officer and it just doesn't work. I mean, what are we talking about here. It's crazy. You know, the legal part aside the sad part is, of course we had to say this out loud, that somebody lost his life, Claude, that was the reason there was a traffic terror. That's the first thing and really the only thing. The secondary part of the number one player in the world being arrested. We've been to sporting events a thousand times in our lives, Claude. We've seen that traffic type of pattern. You know, maybe not the circumstances because of the traffic, but we've seen that traffic outside of sporting events for years. That was just I have no idea what happened. I hope the police officer and Scotti are all perfectly fine, but again, we have no idea what took place there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and listen, I've been in courtesy car. You ride with the player you're trying to get in. I mean, we were all saying on the driving range. I mean, how many players you've You've done that one hundred times, right, You've you've seen the traffic. You know you're in a courtesy car. You know it's got the you know they're gonna they're gonna bring you in, and so you know, so definitely the guys I've worked with, DJ and Brooks. I mean, you do that at majors, you do that two or three times a year. It's just it's all that part of it. And normally the police as soon as they see the courtesy car, you know, with the logos on the side of it, you get ushered right in. Scotty Scheffler and Brooks Kepta have the same agent, Blake Smith. Blake's father, Randy Smith, is Scotty's swing coach, and Brooks and I were talking on the driving range. I gotta think that Blake Smith never thought he'd get a call saying that he had to go get Scotti Scheffler out of jail.
Speaker 2: I mean, what are the odds of that happening going into the week, What are the odds that happening anytime? I honestly, I have no idea how this is all going to play auclaude, but Friday morning last week has to be one of the most bizarre, you know, stretches of I'm Beyonce around a golf tournament in the history of the sport. I mean, that was just yikes, man, that was great and we laughed. There's this you know, who knows how this plays out. I mean, we're joking about it now, but my goodness, you know, if this doesn't work out in anybody's favor, we're not going to be laughing here. Who knows?
Speaker 1: I mean and talking to Randy Smith on Sunday, his you know, Scotty's longtime swing instructor. He played Friday on just pure adrenaline. I mean, just pure, one hundred percent adrenaline. I mean, nobody can prepare you for something like that. I've got to think out of all the places Scotty Scheffler ever thought he would be in a jail cell period, let alone a jail cell at a major championship, is just something that you just couldn't He couldn't even believe that would happen. And then on top of that, he goes out and plays an unbelievable round of golf. But then Saturday again, his caddy, Teddy Scott's going to watch his daughter graduate. Teddy Scott's not on the bag. You kind of figured that was going to be Saturday was going to be tough for him. It was. Once he got arrested, it was like a lot of the like the wind went out of the sales of the tournament, because obviously everybody thinks that Scott he's on this run to maybe win his second major championship. The rounds he played on Friday was unbelievable. I mean, I couldn't believe he played that.
Speaker 2: Well, that's as good a round of golf as he's ever played under the circumstances, considering it's not a Sunday to major, I understand that, but for what he went through that morning to come back out. She's sixty six. I realized there were low scores that day, but it doesn't matter. It's this incredible last for Saturday. Claude, I just think he ran out of gas man. You know, imagine what was going on, you know, in his mind. Again you're talking about for people who don't understand. To be number one in the world, you have to have some omph to you. There is no such thing as being mister nice guy all the time if you're going to be the best at something on the planet. But Scotty is as nice a kid as you'll ever be around. If you have a daughter, he's the kind of guy you want her to marry. He's he's warm, he's nice, he's smart, he's thoughtful, he's an incredible athlete, he's competitive, the whole thing. He's got the whole package. I just can't believe he got arrested. I just can't believe that happened. But again, well I'm gonna have to wait and see how it all plays out. But what he did Saturday, with that Friday, with that sixty six, Claude, Holy smokes. I mean, you and I both know we've been around these guys a long time. It's one thing to be talented, to be great, to go out there play golf kind of laissez Faire's another thing in major championship golf and in big PGA Tour events, big live golf events, big moments like that. You know, from the collar bones up, you've got to be strong out there, and you couldn't be stronger than the strength he showed between the ropes on Friday, playing on adrenaline and all the things going on in his mind. That sixty six was outstanding.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, he is the he is the Tom Hanks of golf, right, I mean, he's he's this character, this person this personality that everybody loves, says, you've been you've been around the game a long time. Your your weekend week out with these players. I mean, you've seen some amazing runs. Obviously what Tiger Woods did, what the greats of the game has done. But putting to perspective the golf that we're seeing from from Scotty, because I think that because his personality is what it is, and that's to me, the best thing that he's got going for him is you know, I was talking to his agent, Blake Smith. His mind is his superpower, right, his persona. Yes, his golf game is unbelievable, but I think the approach that Scotty has to not only life, but to also professional golf is the superpower that he's got. How significant in the in the realm of great players and runs that great players have been on. This run that Scotty's been on for the last you know, two three years, it's as good of a golf is that we've seen.
Speaker 2: It really is. It's amazing what he's been doing. The ball striking is outrageous, The consistency is outrageous. That round on Saturday at Valhalla was the first overpar around he shot all year. I mean that that's a joke. I mean, that's that's really truly outrageous. Another top ten finished for him. Didn't have a chance to win it on Sunday, but it's still a top ten finish. I was talking to Raymond Floyd. You know how in Live from the Masters on the Golf Channel, we have all the guys come in with the green jackets and Ben Crenshaw, Raymond Floyd, Tom Watson, Jack Nicholas. It's all really cool. Gary Player did it for years, Arno Palmer did it for years. All these guys come in, and Raymond was when he was in there, I asked him, what are we seeing here from Scotty Scheffler? Same question you just asked me? And Raymond said, and I totally agree with them. So you have I told Ramy, you have McElroy from eleven to fourteen winning four majors. You have Speed from fourteen to seventeen winning three major championships. You know, keepka on that crazy run. Then he won another one last year to make it five major championships. What are we seeing from Scotty Scheffler? And Raymond said? Great players all get hot, The question is can they remain hot through a sustained period of time? So when I went over those names that we just went through, McElroy, Speed Kepta, those crazy great runs they went on, Raymond said, oh, no, we all do that. But when we get into a separate category like a Tiger or a Jack and those types of players, you're talking about guys who are consistently great beyond three years. So what Raymond said was, we're seeing pure greatness from Scotty, there's no question about that. We're also seeing someone who's on a heater. There's no question about that. The combination of the two will it sustain itself after three years? That will put Scotty Laud in a different category than just being another not I mean quotations, another great player who's gotten hot. But there's no debate he's the best player in the world right now. There's no debate is the best ball striker. And if that Potter cooperates, he's going to be there on Sunday, and if it's his time to win another one, it is. And I think he's the best player in the world right now by far. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I think Sansy's the thing that when I look at his game, I mean just the way that he approaches golf and the way that he kind of lives his life. You know, he doesn't really get wrapped up in a lot of the stuff that a lot of athletes, but specifically golfers get wrapped up in. You know, my dad says the same thing, but she says the same thing that can he sustain this and can the heater become What Rory did was Rory came out and he was on a heater and then he just did it for the next ten twelve years. Right. You can talk about the fact that Rory hasn't won a major in ten years, but Rory has been one of, if not the top three four dominant players of the last ten years. So he's been doing this for a decade. And every major Rory is one of the favorites for the foreseeable future, Sansy, every major Scotti Scheffler, regardless of where the golf course is, regardless of what the setup is, he is going to be the favorite because he has so many of the other things that you have to have to be a great champion and a great player. You have to be able to handle the pressure. Like you said, everybody's good. Everybody gets on these runs, but to be in the elite great you have to sustain it for longer than just a two to three year period.
Speaker 2: Well, just think about the four major championships. You know. The beauty to me of the four major championships is is they're different. They're like tennis, you know, they're the four Grand Slams are different from each other. The four major championships in golf are different. You can't find one that doesn't fit Scotty. I used to think this about Tiger, you know, like, oh, this course fits him well? Really which one doesn't? I mean, which one doesn't fit him well? So you know, the Masters, obviously he's won it twice, so clearly augusta National has warmed up in Scotty's mind. You know, the PGA Championship again, he put himself right there. The Open is the US opens at Pinehurst, I mean, tell me why he can't succeed there and then at Royal Troon. There's no reason at an Open championship. The way he strikes a golf ball. If it's windy there and the bad weather comes in there, it doesn't matter whether the weather's great or whether it's bad. He's the best ball striker in the world. So if the weather's bad. I'll take the ball striker when the weather's bad, and the guy who's mentally tough. Oh, by the way, Scotty's mentally tough as well, so he's got one of those things. It's, you know, not picking on Andy North winning two US Opens or Lee Jansen winning two US Opens or hail Or winning three US Opens. You know, love all those guys, and they're all great, great players, but it seems like they had like one avenue. You know, in these major championships. You talk about Rory, you talk about Scotty Schefford, these guys could win anywhere. You know, these guys could win absolutely anywhere. And look, we're gonna go to pine Ricks next month, and as long as he's healthy and still there, who's gonna be favored Scotty?
Speaker 1: Well? I mean, And the other thing is he's playing this week in Colonial. Wouldn't be surprised if he wins there? Then what memorial before that? Sure is? How wouldn't surprise me if you won there? Because that's a big golf course. You have to be a great ball striker. He could conceivably go into Pinehurst off the back of two more wins.
Speaker 2: No question about it. And that's the thing that I love about watching Scotty play. Is Colonial this week, Okay, I'm flying there tomorrow. Okay. Colonial this week is like hilton Head, like why lie the Sony Open in Hawaii, and then all of a sudden you got this monster ballpark which we're going to be seeing at the memorial at Mirfield Village. And last week Valhalla was like Tory Pines and hilton Head combined, real small greens but a massive ballpark. And here he was once again, except for that one day, like Brooks Kopka, you know, just one day kind of took him out of the event. And Scotty just didn't have a great day on Saturday. But weird circumstances for him. But there's no way he's not the favorite clot coming in. It's just it's just wild now, different months, different conditions, different cour different time zones, different brass, different agronomy, different players coming in. Hot Macelroy this week was the man who won two in a row in New Orleans with Shane and then at Quel Hollows, Vander came close and then he put it together. The one constant in all of this is Scotty Scotty is just there every single week. It's amazing.
Speaker 1: There's no better way to enjoy the Majors than to play the course while you're watching all the action. With the rap Sodo MLM two Pro, you have a mobile launch monitor and a golf simulator that you can easily take to the course or set up at home to play and practice. The award winning MLM two Pro offers thirty thousand simulated courses to play, thirteen metrics to look at your swing, and three video replay options to analyze your swing, all for six hundred and ninety nine dollars and ninety nine cents. During the month of May, rap Soodo's Play your Way contest is rewarding MLM and MLM two Pro users with some incredible prizes, including a year's supply of RPT golf balls and a virtual lesson from me. Visit rapsodo dot com to say full list of prizes and ways to enter, or visit rapsodo dot com. Backset h three and you will receive a fifty dollars gift card to rapsodo dot com with the purchase of an MLM two Pro. Whether you're looking to improve your game or just play more golf. The MLM two pro is the solution for you play your way with rapsodo golf, play without limits. You mentioned Xander Schaffle getting his first major championships. Within the fraternity of professional golf, both on the playing side and the media side and the caddyside, everybody, there are popular wins and then there are popular wins. Zander winning a major will be a very, very popular win, but there are also wins on tour when players get their first major to where everybody in the sport says, you could see it coming. He's always had the game. The knock against Xander is, you know, eight wins. I mean he's what fifty million now, I mean, you know, turn pro, what's sixteen seventeen, So the career is so legit, right, But the knock against Xander was when he did he should have won more. Yeah, I mean you can always say that about a lot of guys, but Xander seemed to always put himself in position a lot, and he put himself in position a lot in majors. And he has every part. There isn't a part of the game that he doesn't have. And you know, he's made some changes to his golf swing with Chris Como. But for a small guy, he hits it. Miles Xander is as legit as it gets, and I think everybody is surprised that it has taken him this long to win a major. Thus just because that's how good everybody thinks he is.
Speaker 2: Well, we know that that golf is your life. It's been your life, you know, literally your entire life. But I know you're also a sports fan and you also appreciate other athletes in other sports. You know, it took Michael Jordan's seven years to win his first NBA title. He had to get through the you know, the Pistons. They had to get through the Celtics before that with the Pistons. Teams do this all the time in teams competition. They can't quite get there and then they break through. Well, there's no reason to think that golf is any different. You know, Xander had to build up some scar tissue, he gave a couple away, didn't play great a couple of times when he was in that spot, but overall, he put himself in a position to win. Just wasn't his time, and you ran into a brick wall. It happened for him on Sunday, and I'm so happy for him. It's an incredibly popular to win AI amongst his peers. He's a great guy, not just a great player. He's a competitor. How about his confidence, Claude, I mean, you're in the instruction business, okay, you know which I've always joked with your dad about this. You guys are so brilliant at the technical side of the game, but also have an understanding without a degree in this, that you're also part sports psychologist when you're also coaching in golf. And for him to switch away from his dad, okay, his lifelong coach is his dad, all right, And he goes to Chris Cuomo, and he has the changes, and he's not playing not to lose, Claude, He's playing to win, and he's stayed aggressive. The second shot on eighteen, when you had to dig into that bunker, get real low below the ball, do you lay up there? Do you play conservatively there? Or do you say no? No? This has been my game plan all week. I know I need a four at this par five to get a win. Let's keep playing the way I've always played. And you put all that together and I'm just so happy for him. I'm proud of Xander for hanging in there. You know, in this short period of time. People think he's been out there for one hundred years and he hasn't gotten that first major championship win. Like you said, his body of work in his time frame since turning pro claude is beyond legit. Man. He is a filthy, filthy golfer man. He is a great, great player, and I think there's more to come. I'm not a huge fan club. You know, you and I have talked about this before. You know, it happens all the time. Guy busts through and wins his first major, and now everybody is saying, oh, now the floodgates are going to open. I don't necessarily believe in that in this particular case because of how he's gotten to this point, building the step by step to get to a major championship victory. To me, Xander's not going away anytime soon. I fully expect him to be in contention at plenty of majors over the next decade.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And the other thing that that was impressive about last week is he had he had a chance to wink before at Wells Fargo and he got smoked by Rory McRoy. Okay, Roy McRoy has this extra gear that not a lot of players have. But he's in the final group with Rory. Rory turns on the gas, wins going away at Quail Hollow the week before. It would be easy to be affected by that, to say okay, because that could go the other way, right, that's another chance that Xander's got to win a big tournament against a quality field, against one of the best players in the world. And you know, Roy what shot eight nine under on Sunday at Quail and Sander what shut couple under and didn't get it done. So you wouldn't be surprised if he comes in with a little bit of scar tissue. But sixty two, sixty eight, sixty a, sixty five to get to twenty one under on a Sunday that Listen, there are a lot of people Sandy talking about the golf course being too easy. It was like EPC all of it. The golf course is the golf course, right, and the players play the golf course that they're told to show up to. I thought we saw some big time drama on Sunday for a major that everybody that a lot of people. I've heard articles social saying, oh, it needed to be harder, it needed to be harder twenty one under. I thought it was really good.
Speaker 2: But I would like to see a major championship play more difficult. There's no question about that. I think everybody would agree with that. However, there's no way to discount someone's victory. It rained two inches the week prior, It rained half an inch on Monday. It rained a little bit more on Thursday night and Friday morning. The golf course is soft. There's nothing you can do about it. If it was firm and fast, it may not have been as entertaining. Who knows. It was incredibly entertaining. And by the way, it was like that for everybody in the field. All right, So was it a little bit on the easier side, Sure, okay, the scores were low, but Xander was the best player all week. And by the way, let's not discount the wire to wire factory, Claude. You know this, What people see in golfers and what we see in athletes is their talent, their skill. What we can't measure is how mentally tough they are because we can't get inside their brain. Well, you try sleeping on a lead. I've talked to a million golfers who who have told me, can't sleep when you have a lead next day, can't sleep when you have a lead. God forbid. You have the lead after fifty four holes, and you're leading with only eighteen to play, and you know what's in front of you. This guy went wired to wire, all right. That is so difficult to do at a regular PGA Tour event. It's so difficult to do at a Players Championship. It's exponentially more difficult to do at a major championship. I just think the world of Xander as a person and as a golfer, and I think it all came together for him last week, and I'm really looking forward to seeing how he moves forward, how this propels him moving forward, will keep him motivated to win more? Will he rest on his laurels? I'll take the former, not the latter. I think Xander is here to stay for a long time. He is a great, great player.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I also thought it was a statement the way he played in the final group, playing with a two time major champion in Colin Morrikawa. You'll call him, you know, won two majors early in his career, and it's made looking made winning majors look really really easy. The switch from Stefan, who is a larger than life character, like one of the great characters in professional golf. We're lucky enough to know Sanders dad Stefan. You hear him before you see him. He's one of my favorite people. But like you said, it is tough when your father has been kind of your coach and your mentor and helped you get to this platform. It's not an easy decision that Xander took to reach out to Chris Como and say, okay, let me see if what you think and let me see if there's some gains that I could make, because you know, there's a comfort level when you work with your dad and he's kind of been your guy. I take my hat off to to Xanders, say listen, man, I'm gonna try and see if there's something I'm missing or something that maybe I don't know. I think that that's been huge and for Chris Como, that's you know, two major champions now for Chris as a coach and Bryson de Champeau and Xander, who couldn't be any more different, but an interesting, interesting choice from Xander to make that change.
Speaker 2: Oh interesting for sure. I'll tell you what, Claude. I was saying this last week to some people. I wasn't working last week because a CBS ESPN event and I don't do life in the PGA, so I was just watching. But I was texting with some friends of mine. I was like, you know, you ought to you ought to bring up how about the credit Stefan deserves. Oh yeah, for your son, who's your your your your whole world professionally and personally, like you said, great guy, credible personality, huge, larger than life kind of person. But for him, Claude, you know, I'm a parent, you know, for you to receive that news from your son and then take it the correct way and not ruin your a relationship with your son, which is the most important thing, but be the professional side as well of what Xander's trying to do. To me, it speaks volumes as to what people thought of Stefan before this and now after. He is not some guy who's just in Xander's face and in his way. That is a tremendous job. In my opinion, I see the smile on your face, you know, not a part coach, part parent. I thought Stefan handled that beautifully, and I thought Xander handled his father beautifully in that position. You can imagine how difficult that must have been for Xander. Now I'm not making them analogous, but we all see Mike Thomas and Justin Thomas all day, every day at PGA tour events, and people ask me all the time about that relationship, and Mike gets asked about it all the time. Justin gets asked about all the time. It can't be easy when you're with your dad twenty four to seven like that, in a working environment, and when things don't go well. As we all know, Claude, it's never the player's fault. It's the cadi's fault. It's the coach's fault. He's fault. It can't be the player's fault. And I say that facetiously, but you know what I mean. So when you have to make a switch, or you feel like you need to make a switch, it's one thing to call Claude Harmon, it's another thing to call your dad. I mean, my god, that's not easy. They're all not easy. So I give them all credit for that. I give Chris a ton of credit for handling that situation well and again for Xander to mix up his action because he needed to make an improvement to get this next step and then to have it all come together and come to fruition. Man, I give all the parties there a lot of credit. It's just it's just just a lot there. And by the way, back to the Justin Thomas and Mike Thomas thing. You know, Justin and Mike have both told me and you know this for years, they have found that correct balance of father and coach, coach and father pupil and father pupil and coach. Because Justin is the boss, he's the player, and it's got to be very strange to have that. And I give all the credit in the world a step on and Xander for handling that beautifully.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And Stefan, you know, was a very good athlete when he was younger, and and you know, I think he took a lot of the things that that kind of propelled him in his early career. It's trying to be an athlete as well. Sander goes to number two in the world. If if you still believe in the Official World Golf rankings. Can he be the best player in the world. Does he have that type of game? Santy?
Speaker 2: It's a great question, Claude, Uh do Look. I think that Rory, Scottie and if John ever got it together again, you know, and it Brooks is a completely healthy and motivated at all times. I think that those five, you know, justin Thomas has kind of fallen off just a touch, but obviously the game is still there. I'm sure. I'm sure he'll get it back. Kyler Marakalis seems like he's gotten it back, you know, a little bit to where it was when he was in his heyday. But as far as to me, McElroy, Scheffler, Xander a healthy and motivated, productive John Ram I think those are the four best players in the world that I don't see any reason why Xander can't be number one in the official World Golf ranking if you still believe in that, but also be right there with those guys every week as far as being favored and then showing up on Sundays on leaderboards at major championships. For sure, Xanders got the game. I mean, he's got all you need. And now that he has this win, perhaps that little shot of confidence that lets him know that, Yeah, there's a big difference between thinking you can do it and knowing you can do it. Well, up until Sunday, he always thought he could do it, and now he knows he can do it. So let's see where it goes from here. But I don't think there's any reason. Maybe week in week out, I would think that Rory and Scott he might be more consistently better, maybe right now, but Xander's right there with him. Man Sanders, good man, he is so good. Club.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about someone who's really kind of I will say this, I think he's transformed his game. Bryson d Chambeau. I mean, Bryson always had a tremendous amount of talent, and then you know, he went down the route where he looked like he ate Bryson and during COVID bulked up and all of a sudden showed up looking like the incredible Hulk and was trying to drive greens and wins a major at Wingfoot and then makes all the comments that he makes about Augusta where par Is in the fifties and all of this stuff. But I've been you know, all of my guys went to live so I've watched Bryson play a lot of golf over the last two and a half years, and sansy he has figured out how to play golf. He is still as quirky and unique and testing equipment and always pushing the boundaries. But there is a different Bryson in twenty twenty four than there was in twenty twenty. He's evolved as a person, but he's also evolved as a golfer. And I thought, you know, four rounds in the sixties, sixty eight, sixty five, sixty seven, sixty four on Sunday, I mean the eight iron he hits from two ten to twenty and stiffs it. There's nobody in the world that Bryson is one of those players that can do things that really no one else in the game can do. How how important do you think last week was for Bryson from a game standpoint, but also the fans seem to embrace him in a way that they never did before, and he seemed to embrace the fans in a way that he hasn't embraced them before. I just think it's been cool to watch this kind of transformation into Bryson kind of where he was to kind of I think this is Bryson two point zero.
Speaker 2: You're familiar, Claude with the what's going on with the TV ratings this year on the PGA Tour and how down the ratings have been. The ratings were up ten percent on Sunday, and that's a direct result and no offense to Xander, who I love. It's a direct result of Bryson. I think that the fan favorite part of it is fascinating because Live took away some of the great villains in the sport, and I mean that in a lovable way, you know, like a lovable villain in sports is necessary. And to me, what I saw last week, more than anything Claude, is just how much golf fans in America miss seeing Bryson to Shamba play. He is a showman. He is a bizarre cat who thinks his own way, plays his own way, does things his own way. It's as if Frank Sinatra's song My Way was written just for Bryson to Shambo and the golf fans. Last week on TV and in person, you could just sense how much he has been missed because he's out there hooting and holler and he's running around, He's doing the whole thing. He's Bryson, the whole deal, and he's muscling everything and is just fascinating to watch. He's the most fascinating guy in the sport to watch when he's playing well. I don't think there's any debate on that. You can like him or dislike him. You can go through the litany of ten, twelve, fifteen best players in the world, you can't find anybody more fascinating to watch than that guy at the highest level. So he's missed and his game is so good, Claud and he's just he's done it different ways as far as the science of it all, but he also has evolved into the player he is today through his own convictions, his own way of doing it. And there's a lot to do with the people around him and Chris and everything. But you know, good for Bryson for you know, getting it together and getting it back on track. And I think he's better now than he's ever been. And I was not surprised to see him play well last week. It won't surprise me to see him play well at Pinehurst or Royal truon well. He's just a tremendous player and my god is he a breadth of fresh air to a sport that really needed it in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 1: What do you think last week showed the fans that they maybe didn't see before, or maybe Bryson wasn't able to show them because he's always had legit game, right, I mean, you can't you can't fake it. I mean usam you know, wins early major champion. He's been on President's Cup and the Ryder Cup team, but last week seemed like it was different. Is that more Bryson changing or do you think the fans are changing.
Speaker 2: A little bit of both. I think that, you know, one thing that people don't realize. I'm fifty five years old, Claude. I think you're a little younger than I, but.
Speaker 1: I'm fifty five. Babies, Sammy Hagar.
Speaker 2: We're the same age. There you go. So I think people really forget that this guys are kids, man, their kids, and they're growing up Unlike you and me, they're growing up in front of the world's eye, so everything they do and say is scrutinized from the time they were like nineteen twenty twenty one. So here's Bryson Wotson in his late twenties. Is he around thirty maybe, you know, let's say around there. He's just getting going, claud I mean, you know he can be. He's young enough to be one of our kids, for God's sake, So he's just kind of evolving as a human being and not just a golfer. That's the first thing I think. The second thing is, I think the guys who I've spoken to and you know this way better than me, the guys i've spoken to with live the one thing they say they miss more than anything is the juice, you know, they miss, you know, being against the best in these monster crowds. I know there's a big crowd at an Adelaide down in Australia, but for the most part, they're not playing in front of these monster crowds. And I think people forget to use this word earlier with Bryson. People forget these guys aren't just professional golfers, their performers, Claude. You know, during COVID we heard a lot of them say it was really weird. It was so quiet out there. They weren't playing in front of fans, They didn't have any reaction, they didn't have the adrenaline going and I think Bryson loves the show, isn't afraid to show off a little bit, isn't afraid to show his enjoyments on the golf course and get people fired up and do things a little differently than most professional golfers. And I think that over time, he's maturing as a human being and he's also maturing as a golfer. And I think they all came together last week and I think that Live, more than anything, and this PGA Tour Live ridiculous spat back and forth has made the major championships, Claude bigger. They've made them better, They've made them bigger. And that's why the major championships are not getting involved in misfight. They keep inviting Joake Neman too, Augusta Taylor, Goots and a couple of guys at the PGA. It's going to continue because the majors are small. They know Claude that the fight between the PGA Tour and Live is only elevating their events because their events are the only ones that Bryson and Brooks and Dustin and Cam and all these guys get to play against the guys on the PGA Tour. And it was a win win for everybody last week, but Bryson was the show. Alexander stole the show by winning, but Bryson was the show over the course of the weekend, especially on Sunday. Man it was just fun to watch them out to compete again. It was cool.
Speaker 1: Witness insurmountable deficits turn into unforgettable victories at the Travelers Championship, the northeast one and only PGA Tour signature event. See Scotty Scheffler, Worriye McElroy, Victor Hovlin, Patrick Cantley, and returning champion Keegan Bradley, as well as other PGA Tour stars in all four days of the competition at close by TPC River Highlands the Excitement teas all June nineteenth through the twenty third. For tickets and information, visit Travelers Championship dot com. The Travelers Championship there is only one you mentioned, you know, the majors. I mean because to me, in this whole kind of PGA Tour live thing that we've all been involved with over the last couple of years, the majors to me hold all the cards, but they're the ones that can say, listen, you guys fight this out. I thought that Seth Wall and the PGA, you know, inviting some of the live guys was a good thing. Listen. I think at this point, if I keep saying this, if you're anti live and PROPGA Tour at this point in twenty twenty four, with all the evidence and all the information that's out there, you're doing that strictly for your own reasons. Right. If you're ANTIPGA Tour and you fiercely live and you're you're one of those, well you're doing that for your own reasons as well. Right the game, I think we are seeing that the narrative that going to live means you can't play anymore. I think this is the second year in a row where we've had a live player almost win a major championship and come in second. Happened at the Masters last year when Brooks finished second to John Rahm. He went on to win a major, you know, a couple weeks later. But again, there is still a narrative out there that if you go to live it only prepares you for three round tournaments and stuff. I think we are seeing that golf is golf and the other thing. Sandy and I said this to my dad last week when I had him on the pot as well. There is an eye test in golf that those of us and this isn't an arrogance thing that I'm saying that we go, but those of us that are around these players day in day out, week in week out, year after year, as much time as we spend around the professional game, there is an eye test. You know who the good players are, regardless of where they play, right, And I think now more than ever is there is going to be an eye test because I don't see I mean, I don't see anything happening anytime soon. I mean I think next year at this time, we're still going to be talking about whether there's a merger or not. But I do think that when you see players and you look at their results and you look at whether they've been winning, how they've been playing, there, to me, there's an eye test. And Bryson D. Chambeau, regardless of whether he's playing live or not, Bryston D. Shambau is one of the best players of the world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't. I don't know where he was in the official World Golf ranking coming into the PGA, and.
Speaker 1: It's thirty five now, but I think he was in the hundreds before, so he jumped I mean for thirty five.
Speaker 2: First of all, he's not the thirty fifth best player in the world. Second of all, he's not in the hundreds. Okay, So the Official World Golf Ranking is clearly a little bit skewed because of what's going on with LIB. But to me, the most important factor right now, if I was a live player, is the clock is ticket. The clock is ticking for them, because if the Official World Golf Ranking is not going to recognize live and it continues to keep the players out of the major championships. For the guys like Bryson, who won the US Open in twenty twenty, next year is his last year of those five years twenty one, two, three, four five, So he's going to have to have these top four finishes to get back into these majors after next year's four major championships, as long as he doesn't win one of the next two or winning one in twenty twenty five. So to me, you know, I mean, I don't see it coming together anytime soon either. I don't know, I have no intel on that, but I think both sides are kind of you know, thinking one thing and thinking another thing on one side and vice versa. And I think they're pretty far apart as far as coming together, but as far as the guys on Live and the guys on the tour coming together and playing in these big events, the majors, Man Claude, you said it. The majors could end this that they wanted to. They sure majors wanted to end it. They could just say hey, sorry, not coming. But they're not doing that because it benefits that And I don't blame them whatsoever. I think this is the PGA Tour and lives fight. I do not think the major championships are going to get involved anytime soon. To put this aside.
Speaker 1: Fred Ridley, who's the chairman at Augusta Nashvill and his press conference, said, this is an invitational. There always a criteria to be you know that they have for players top fifty in the world and stuff like that. But the Masters has always been an invite. I mean every year the players that get invited, you know, they get their they post on social they get an invite, they get you are invited to the tournament. So there isn't anything stopping the major championships from saying, listen, we're going to have a criteria for our tournaments. There's four of them a year, and these are the people that we are going to allow to play.
Speaker 2: I will say, Claude, I do think if it goes beyond next year, Okay, if it does go beyond next year, I can see one of the majors. I don't know which one, but I could see one of the majors going, Okay, clearly they're not going to settle this argument, so we are going to have to do something to ensure that our field is going to be the best it can be. So maybe I could see one of the majors going two or four of the top live earners who are not already exempt for our events will be exact. I could see that happening. I don't think it's going to happen in the next two major championships, but it could happen in twenty twenty five. And I could definitely see it happening in twenty twenty six if this is still going on, as you said, a year from now, because they don't want to, you know, look, the PGA Championship, Caluse understands you don't have Bryson there last week. Well, I mean, what are we looking at here? You know, I mean, Xander's a great player, but you need to have a tet, do tet. You can't have, you know, just one person doing it. So, like I said, a villain in sports can sometimes be a great, great thing. And I don't mean that in a bad way. I mean a lovable villain. I used to love watching VJ Sing play. He was a villain to Tiger. Duvall with the glasses was a little bit of a villain. You know. Nicolson was out there doing his thing, Ernie Elis was doing his thing. Tiger's doing his thing. But you know, you get a little Patrick Reid in the mix in the late twenty tens, you know, riling people up. That's a good thing for sports. You know, you can't have Rory mister nice guy at Hazel team and not have Patrick Reed on the other side, you know, pretending to be Captain America. You can't just be one side. That's how sports works. So it was great to see bryceon And the PGA of America understands that Claude. So does the RNA, so does Augusta National, and so does the USGA. You take away these guys after one or two more years and they're literally no longer in the major championships. That's bad for the majors. Then they'll start getting more involved.
Speaker 1: You mentioned Rory McElroy finished twelfth Big News last week, you know, off the golf course in his personal life, but it's ten years now since he won his last major. In the last major he won was at Valhalla, a dominant performance at Quail Hollow the week before. I mean, there's just no way he can't win another major. There's just no way. The guy is just I mean what he did at Quail Hollow. You know this. There are players and then there are players that do what Rory did at Quaija. I said to him on the range, there isn't anybody in the game currently that can put the foot on the gas and just sprint away like he can't. He did that at Quail Hollow. He's in the final group with Xander and just puts the hammer down and wins, going away making it look easy. He goes to Valhalla where he's won a major before. It's the last majors one has. You know, it's been ten years. The stance where We talked about this when you were on We had you on the podcast. Last year, Rory took the mantle and took the role as being the PGA Tours spokesperson. Now we're seeing a little bit more of the diplomatic Rory. He's got some issues obviously off the golf course, but there's still two majors left. What does he have to do, Sanzy to win one? Because you couldn't design a golfer better than Rory McElroy's, like you, honestly you couldn't. I mean think about what you what would you design better? I mean other than the fact that maybe he needs to be six two or six three, I mean that's the only thing that you would design differently.
Speaker 2: I mean the only thing this is year realm, not mine. The only thing that I think he truly needs is sharpen. The wedge play, the short iron play, the proximity to the hole is he giving himself? You know, when these guys are eight to twelve feet versus twelve to eighteen feet, the difference percentage wise, you know, you could go down that rabbit hole. But my gosh, when when Rory is playing well, I still think he's the best player, and that includes Scotty Shaffler, But he hasn't done it in ten years at a major. He has done it plenty of times since then at non majors, and that of players as well. He's also performed well in the Ryder Cup. In a pressure ized situation like that, it's impossible to think that he's not going to win another major. Impossible. Quail Hollo, by the way, host of PGA next year, in case you're wondering, he's won there four times. So you know, I don't know, man, is there something missing from his game? No? Is there something missing from the way he approaches it. No, he just hasn't gotten there, not yet, not in the last ten years. But you have to think it's gonna happen. So to me, you got to get off to a good start, because he's gotten off to shaky starts. But he got off to a good start, a decent start on Thursday at the PG. I think Xander just kind of ran over the rest of that field with that sixty two. But you know, there's no reason at all, Claude that he doesn't perform well at Pinehurst. He's already wonted an Open championship, that would have been the one. You would think that he would of one. He's probably the most Americanized European player who's ever played on the PGA Tour, growing up in the Tiger era. He hits the ball, high, hits the ball far, hits with lands and softs. It's not like he's running it out there, you know, like traditional European players before him. So there's nothing holding him back, Lad, there's nothing. How could he not win another major championship. It's absurd to think that he could not. I still think when he's playing his best, he is the best. And I agree with you that he's the only person in golf today. Although Scotty won by five at the Masters, one by five at the Players, so he can. He can sprint out there like secretary and leave everybody in their dust as well. So I put Scotty in that category with Rory as far as being able to run away and hide. But those are the only two right now.
Speaker 1: In fourteen, when he won his fourth major at Valhalla ten years ago, how many did you think he'd have by twenty twenty four?
Speaker 2: Oh God, I thought no fordigious first, I thought for Or he was going to get to ten. I did not think he was gonna get to eighteen. I didn't think he was going to get to Tigers fourteen at the time he won his fifteenth and twenty nineteen. But I thought he was going to crap up on double digits because at the time I thought, Okay, he's gonna win a Masters, and he's going to clip off a PGA at a US Open and Open somewhere, and then all of a sudden he's gonna end up with eight nine or ten. But I also thought, and I don't know what you thought. Maybe you and I talked about this after he won a Valhalla in twenty fourteen. That was his second PGA, so he had won the twenty fourteen Open, okay, And after he won the Open in twenty fourteen, he then needed the Masters to win the career Grand Slam. To me, that's the most difficult of the four. Only Gene Sarah's in in thirty five did it had no offense to the Squire. We loved the Squire, but the Masters wasn't quite the Masters in nineteen thirty five. So as it's gotten farther and farther away away from him, it's gotten more and more difficult for him at Augusta, and I thought at the time, I'm going to give him five chances to win the Masters, and it's well beyond five. So you know, I hope I'm wrong, and I hope he wins it, and I hope he becomes the sixth player to win the career Grand Slam Claude. But it's impossible to me to think that he hasn't won a PGA or a US opener and opened since then, the open at St. Andrew's, I mean, you know PGA's US Opens. I mean, come on, man, how does he not have more than four majors. It's just incredible. And if he does win one, you know, he might just walk off and say see it. But if he wins another one, but I hope he keeps going because it's just impossible to me to think that he has not won at least a fifth, sixth or seventh major by now. It's amazing.
Speaker 1: Victor hovlin Vic gave us a little insight. Vic said he wasn't even gonna play, thinking about not even playing last week and git on the back nine, I mean toe for toe with Xander with Bryson. Vix joined the Floridian where I'm a member out. I've watched Vic over the last offseason. You know, coach, different coaches, trying different stuff. Said he wasn't playing good. He was working with Joe Mayo. He rinses Joe Mao. He goes to Grant Waite, rinses Grant wait goes back to Dana Dalkquist, rinses Daarkuist. And then Monday, Tuesday, Wait, Victim his his caddy, Shaye Knight. You know Shay very well. I saw Shay on Wednesday. I was like, Yo, where's your boy. He's like, oh, he's not getting it till tonight. He's in Vegas. So he flies out, works with Joe Mayo again and then lights it up. I mean just lights it up. Three sixty six is in a sixty eight and had a putt on the last hole to to get to twenty under.
Speaker 2: I think that Victor Hoblin. I might text him at after we're done two eight one seven. Oh wait, I don't want to give out your number here on the podcast. But he needs to call Claude Harmon and he needs to needs to get Claude Harmon involved. And then all of a sudden he'll get.
Speaker 1: To the face just to quit. He needs to quit messing around with his golf swing. I said that to his caddy. I said, listen, mate, and I'm jokingly I said it. I said, listen, we've we've watched this, right. The guy won the FedEx Cup in October and now he's thinking in May of not even playing. And this game sansy in an effort and we have seen this, in an effort to try and get better, in an effort to try and get to the next level and do the right thing. You can fuck it up and go backwards, and sometimes it cannot be repairable because you've lost what you had. And I think Vic at the end of last year, I thought he was the best player in the world. I didn't think, you know, Speci after the Writer Cup. I couldn't. There wasn't anybody playing better golf than him to win the FedEx the way he played in the Writer Cup. And it's a delicate balance of if you're going to come in and you know, if you win a Super Bowl and you're going to fire every coach and change schemes and go from a running team to a pack. I mean, it can go south on you if if you don't, And I hope that Vic we're seeing that this is now the resurgence of him going Okay, let me go back to what I was doing that helped me get to the level that I was at and maybe not mess around with it so much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that Xander switching coaches and messing around with his swing and then winning the PG is not going to help that argument. I agree with that, but I think it's a copycat league. You know, players look at other players and go, let me try that, you know, that kind of thing. And for Victor, I think Victor's mind needs to keep spinning and needs to keep moving forward. You know, it takes a certain personality to be Adam Scott and never change your golf swing, not that you'd ever need to because it's so aesthetically beautiful, but he's never changed it. You know, Tiger swing was seemingly perfect and then all of a sudden he changed it, you know, and change it multiple times. So you know, Victor's just he has one of those personalities. I love Victor, I love being around him. He's a terrific kid. He's got so much game. I was so happy to see him playing well. I was hoping he was going to make that putt because it was going to be a playoff. Let's make it a three way playoff, not a two way playoff. But I don't know. It's I think Victor has the opportunity to be a top five player consistently over the course of the next fifteen years. But he might need to pick a side. He might need to pick what side he wants to take. And it's it's it's not easy to be that great and to have the personality that says, okay, got to keep improving, got to keep doing this, got to keep doing this. I'll tell you what he has done. I mean, first of all, you've been around him. He's a wonderful guy. I love him. I'll tell you what's amazing. How about the improvement he's made with his chipping and pitching.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I mean he did with Joe Mayo. I mean he's he was a fifteen handicapper. I mean he was.
Speaker 2: He was bad when Dustin Johnson had trouble with his chipping and pitching, and he improved it to the point where all of a sudden, You're like, man, these guys work so hard on their game. I understand the fluidity of it and wanting to keep improving. I don't understand. I've asked Tiger this, I've asked every player this. Why do you want to keep changing everything so much? Why not just tweak here and there? You know, It's not as if a shooter in the NBA, a guy who's you know, has a jump shot in the NBA, is going to completely change his stroke just because he has two bad games. The NFL. You don't change your throwing motion just because you throw a couple of picks a couple of games in a row, so the full fledge changes. I don't understand the tweaking. Totally understand that Victor's a great, great player. It was awesome to see him play well again, and hopefully that puts him in the headspace moving forward that's going to allow him to just continue to be a great player. I feel like sometimes he gets in his own way. I don't know that for a fact, you would maybe more than me, But sometimes guys like him, you know, with that personality, they get in their own way. They're just so great, there's such geniuses of what they do. They feel like they have to keep improving and sometimes they get in their own way.
Speaker 1: Lastly, Sansy, it's tough to watch tw man. It's tough to watch Tiger and every time he plays it's the same thing. He shot sixty two in the practice round and lit it up in the practice round and stuff. And yeah, I mean, we're still going to see Tiger hit great shots. We're still going to see because he's still a great player. But I just don't know if we're going to see Tiger play great if he can't play more. I mean he I mean, he said that in his press conference on Sunday or on Friday when he missed a cut. He needs, he needs to play more, but he can't play more because of the body. And it is you know this. When he is on the range, you feel it. When he walks onto the range, you feel it. There is an energy. When he is on property at a tournament, it's a different feel. When he's getting ready to tee off, it's a different feel. The morning wave. If Tiger's in the morning wave on Thursday Friday, it's it's different. If he's in the afternoon wave, it's different. You guys televise it differently. When he's going to be playing but it is. I can't imagine. You know him, I know him. I can't imagine how frustrat this must be for him. For as much as he still wants to play, and for as great as he was, it's got to be killing him. Not being able to play more and playing like he's playing to kill.
Speaker 2: It's got to be killing him. It's just got to be so frustrating. When you're that competitive and you've been that great, to not be able to do it at the level you're accustomed to has got to be incredibly frustrating. I thought the the the press conference at the Master's Claude and the press conference at the PGA were there were stark differences there, subtle but stark differences. When he was asked at Augusta, when he was on the podium on Tuesday before the Masters, why do you keep doing this? Why do you keep doing this to yourself? Why do you keep getting after it? And he just kind of smiles that I love the game. I love to compete that kind of thing. I wouldn't be here if I didn't think I had a chance to win. I wouldn't do this if I didn't think I could still win. I totally one hundred percent believe him. I do, I really do. I don't think he's snowing anybody on that Fast forward four weeks the Tuesday before the PGA Championship tempered expectations. We'll have to wait and see how it goes. That kind of stuff. It wasn't the same conviction, and it makes me wonder does he have it just an inkling in his brain where he's thinking, I don't know if I keep doing this against the best players in the world who are playing three out of every four weeks or two out of every four weeks on tour or on live or wherever they're playing in golf, and they practice every day, and they work out every day, and they hit balls, and they chip and pitch and they put and all the things that I used to do every single day to make me the best player of my generation. He can't do those anymore. Claude, and the guys he's playing against they do. They're twenty to twenty five years younger than he is. They are incredibly accomplished major champions because he no longer has that vacuum and sucked out all the air of every major championship, and these guys now have the grit, the game, the experience and the moxie to play every single week. And you know, it's tough to watch him not play well. It's tough to watch him struggle, although I didn't see him limping, you know at the PGA, which I thought was great, but not severely. But it's tough. Man. Like you said, as a sports fan, you want to watch the best players play their best. You want to see one of the great quotes I've ever heard from Rendez Barber, the Hall of Fame cornerback of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. All you want in life is to be the best of yourself when it matters most. And Tiger can't do that right now. Doesn't mean he can't do it at Pinehurst, doesn't mean he can't do it at Royal Troon, but it sure doesn't look like it right now that he can go four days including a practice round or who with nine holes before that? Can he do it all four days physically and not being as razor sharp as you normally would be because you're only playing once a month. You know that difference, The difference between me and you being in a golf cart with Brooks Koepka and Dustin Johnson with a couple of beers in our cart, telling stories and playing a practice around and hanging out at home at the grove at the Floridian. That's a lot different than being inside the ropes at Pinehurst, and it just is a wholly different deal. So I don't know if Tiger's going to be able to do it. I'm never going to count him out, but it sure hasn't looked great in his first two major championships.
Speaker 1: What do you think at this point, Sansey? The motivation is then, because obviously.
Speaker 2: To win we judged.
Speaker 1: We judge Tiger off of a lens that you don't judge anyone off of. It's not like Michael Jordan kept playing at this stage of his career, right, it was over by this point, right, mj was done. So when we look back at Michael's career, we never really got to see him in this Tiger phase of his career to where he's showing up at tournaments and he's not playing well, And it's just I just don't understand how much longer he would want to do this. Knowing him the way that I know, he is the most competitive human being I've ever met ever, right, and this has got to be killing him for him to go out and play the way he's playing, And I just wonder, why does he want to keep doing it?
Speaker 2: None of us will ever understand what it's like to be Tiger Woods. It's impossible to know. Even those of us who are around him on the periphery like we are, it's impossible to know exactly what it's like to be Tiger Woods. I agree with everything you just said, especially the part with why, Like, at what point is he going to say, Yeah, this is just killing me and I just for me to tie for forty seventh if I make a cut, or for me to struggle to make a cut, or for me to miss a cut. It's just not who I am. It's not who I've been. And at some point he's going to come to the realization and he's just going to say, you know what, I don't want to do this anymore because I'm just not good enough to do it. I'm not healthy enough to do it. And that's a brutal thing to find out in sports. If I was an athlete, if I was Tiger, I would play as long as I could. You never know when lightning's going to strike and you can put four days together, but you do conjure up these images of Joe Namath playing for the Rams and Willie May's playing for the Mets, and you're like, yeesh, Now, no one's going to think about this part of his career and not the fifteen major wins in the eighty two regular PGA Tour victories pg R Tour victories. With eighty two, no one's going to think, oh, you know this and the other thing. But it is tough to watch as a sports fan, as someone who's been around him for twenty five years. You know, I just want him to be happy, and if this is making him happy, go ahead. But like you, I would have to think it's probably more frustrating than anything else. I mean, he can't compete against the best players in the most pressurized situation, against full fields at major championship venues which have the most difficult setups. Save for what happened last week with the scoring in Valhalla, you're asking a lot to have majors be the only time you play golf. Is he going to play the Memorial claud and then the US Open? I don't know. You know he didn't play Bayhill or the players before playing the Masters. That had to have hurt. You know. You know that prep is everything, man, and you just can't compete against these guys. These guys are playing golf every day of their lives, getting ready for these big events. They're healthy, hungry, ready to go. Golfs are only focus. You know, Tiger's got kids, he's injured, he can't play as much as he used to, he can't practice much as he used to. He's forty eight years old, his body is sore, and he's got a lot going on. I mean, it's just it's just really really difficult.
Speaker 1: Well, hopefully we will see four good rounds put together. I'd just like to see him put together four good rounds. No, and listen, I mean he played four rounds at the Masters, but on the weekend. I mean, you know that he's just basically trying to get through the round. It would be amazing to see Tiger shoot, You're just somewhere four rounds in the sixties, finish twentieth, you know, and not have those not have it be Is he going to finish? Is he going to make the cut? I mean, because to me, that's That's the sad thing right now, is I mean us open. The narrative is got to be okay, does he first of all, can he finish? And can't he make the cut? And that's not where I think I want to see Tiger Woods playing. I just don't want to see that. I don't want to see that.
Speaker 2: I'm with you if you believe that the smart people out in the Nevada Desert know what they're talking about, and they usually do, because the last time I saw a casino close was never so not in Nevada anyway. And he was minus two thirty five to miss the cut at the PGA. Okay, for those who aren't in the gambling world, that's a pretty heavy favorite, which means that they think it's going to happen. Pretty heavy favorite that he's going to miss the cut. That's at the PGA now, if he doesn't have a start before Piners, Pineers, I would assume would have a little bit more of a difficult setup than the PGA, especially Vahalla last week because of all the rain and the moisture. So what are the odds going to be at Pinehurst to make the cut? You know, it's it's tough man. It's Tiger Woods, Claude, Tiger Woods. We shouldn't be talking about can he make the cut or not? We should be talking about Kenny win or not. That's it. And if Tier wants to continue doing this, totally his prerogative. It's great seeing him out there, Fans love seeing him out there. But if he wants to continue to punish himself in this regard, I just would be surprised if he keeps going on and on like this. I just can't imagine that he's okay going out there and being someone who's looked upon, is whether he going to make the cut or not, and basically being a ceremonial golfer. He said for years he wouldn't be that, but currently right now it looks like he is. And I you know, he can do whatever he wants as far as I'm concerned. It's just great seeing him out there, but I just can't imagine how often he's going to keep putting him out there, putting himself out there and having these types of results.
Speaker 1: Well, and the amazing thing is, I mean the short game that he's showing us. I mean, if he didn't have a short if he didn't have a short game. I mean, there's no telling what some of these scores would because the way some of the shots he hit at Augusta were unbelievable. And you can see him in his practice sessions. I think the golf swing Sansy looks like what he can do. I think he's figured out a way that he can move in a way that he can swing the golf club. But I watched him go over to the short game area during one of the warm ups, and you're watching the short game and you're watching how he does things, and it's still like watching Picasso paint. I mean, the guy's short game is is ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Doesn't that make sense? You're the instructor, not me. Doesn't that make sense? You know, with his body and how sore he is and how beat up his body is, the thing he can work on the most is a short game because he's not doing the full swings. The full swings are the ones that he's gonna have the most difficult with.
Speaker 1: Right Yeah, now, listen, the short game still looks amazing. It's just you know, he was such a great champion. I was lucky enough to be around owned for kind of the Butch harmon Tiger era. I mean, I saw it all. And I always say this about Tiger. As good as people think he was, he was better. He's one of these people that because a lot of this younger generation of guys never really saw it. They never saw it up close. They didn't know what it was like, they didn't know what the tournaments were like. So when I look at Tiger now, it's upsetting to me to watch because I got to watch Tiger in the day and it was so much better than people remember. He was so much better. It's just crazy to see how his body just won't let him do what he wants to do. And I just think that's gotta be that's gotta be killing him.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's got to be killing him. He was literally the definition of intimidating. He was intimidating to players when he walked onto the range. He was intimidating when he was in the locker room. He was intimidating when you were on the practice putting green. And let me tell you something. I've had players tell me this before. Claude. It's one of the coolest things ever. Whether you're watching on TV or you're lucky enough to be there in person. The coolest thing when Tiger's playing on the first tee when he gets announced. Most guys get announced. Now on the tee from Jupiter, Florida. Here's Claude Harmon, now on the t from Washington, d C. Here's Steve Sands now on the tee the nineteen ninety nine, two thousand, two thousand six. You just keep going, thousand and seven, You just keep going. You're gonna miss your tea time because his announcement is so long, and he is literally the most intimidating golfer who's ever played the sport. You could argue whether he's the greatest of all time, you cannot argue that he was an intimidating force out there. And by the way, when he still comes to an event, even if it's only once a month or once every couple of months, when he comes to an event, it's a whole different happening. Man. He completely changes the temperature when he walks onto the grounds, no matter where he goes. It's amazing, it is.
Speaker 1: It is fascinating to feel and to see.
Speaker 2: He's earned it, though he's earned every second. Tiger too much, You show him too much, show nobody shows him too much, because guess what. The first thing anybody asked when they don't see the golf is what Tiger shoot today? The second thing they ask is who's leading? It's always Tiger first, and then who's leading. It's never the other way around. For anybody who says that TV shows him too much, or podcasts or radio or newspapers talk or write about him too much, you're wrong, man. He's earned every second of that one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: And listen, it's still great to see him. And it's still great. I mean, he actually said hi to me, which is you're normally he's kind of in the zone, and you you know, I've non listen, I've known Tiger forever. But he's one of those He's one of those human beings that I'm not gonna I'm not gonna talk to him unless you know, you just don't. He's just got that. He there is an intimidation factor to this day. So I was standing on the putting green and he was putting near DJ was hitting some putts and everything, and he walked right past me and he shook his hand down. He goes, hey, bro, what's up man, Good to see you he gave me a little hug and everything, and I was just like, I was surprised because normally, you know, he doesn't really say much, and so.
Speaker 2: I speak to he speaks first.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, you definitely don't speak first. Like I said, I'd never in a million years be standing on a putting green and engage conversation with him. I just and like I said, I used to used to stay at our house. He used to pick him up from the airport. I've known him since he was sixteen years old. But the intimidation thing that you said in the persona that he still has is he is this type of character to where I would never think of just walking up to him and saying hi to him. I just, I just I just wouldn't do it.
Speaker 2: I hope he wins the US Senior Open, so that he has a US Senior Open, a US Open, a US Amateur, and a US Junior. He'd be the first one ever to do it right.
Speaker 1: He'd be amazing. Sansy always great talking to you. We said this the last time. One of the downsides of all this turmoil is there are a lot of people that we don't get to see as often as we used to so great. Great to talk to you, and I will look forward to seeing you at the US Open.
Speaker 2: Seeing Pineers. Let's make sure we make some time to raise a glass.
Speaker 1: You got a power. Good to talk to you, but be good. So some great takes there from Steve Sands, and we got through a lot. But I think the performance from Xander, all the things that Scotti Scheffler went through last week, Bryson, there were a lot of good storylines. But I agree with with with Sandy. It was great to see all the best players in the world back together. You can argue listen, I'm done with the arguments, but I think the Majors we talked about it. The Majors are the place where you're going to see all of the players from all the various tours around the world. I hope that continues. Hopefully the governing bodies realize that they have the power and to showcase the best players in the world if they so choose. And I think there are a lot of people that are thinking like that, and Steve Sands and myself are I am definitely one of those as well. Son of a Butch comes to you almost every Wednesday. We will see you next week,