Speaker 1: Fo Zone Media.
Speaker 2: Hey everybody, Robert Evans here and I wanted to let you know this is a compilation episode. So every episode of the week that just happened is here in one convenient and with somewhat less ads package for you to listen to in a long stretch if you want. If you've been listening to the episodes every day this week, there's going to be nothing new here for you, but you can make your own decisions. Welcome to it could happen here a podcast about things falling apart. And you know, folks, season one of this, if you listened way back in twenty nineteen, we focused a lot on my fears about a massive coming civil conflict in the United States, you know, along the lines of a civil war, but sort of based around my experiences in civil conflicts in Ukraine and Iraq and Syria a number of other parts of the world prior to twenty twenty. And one of the reasons I'm bringing this up right now is because you know, what I experienced with the fighting in Isis in Iraq was kind of instrumental in me understanding how conflict looked in the modern era and how the United States was closer to a conflict like that, then I think a lot of folks would, normally, especially people who are kind of obsessed with the idea of a civil war, as two big armies in gray and blue marching at each other, we're willing to kind of to contend with. And when I was starting that reporting over there, you know, taking my first trips to Iraq, one of the first things that I did was watch every Isis beheading video and some of the Al Qaida in Iraq beheading videos prior to that, not as a voyeuristic thing, but because I felt like if I was going to take myself and another person into that situation, the responsible thing to do was make myself very informed of what the stakes were. And I'm bringing this all up not because we're talking about the Middle East today, because we are talking about a beheading video, probably the first beheading video directly tied to the US CO Cuncture war that I can I can name, and I'm gonna throw to Garrison Davis now.
Speaker 3: All right, So last week, I believe most of this went down. On January thirtieth, a thirty two year old man named Justin Mohan shot his father in the head with a handgun he bought the day previously, and then used a kitchenknife and machete to allegedly again this is all a quote unquote allegedly allegedly yes to allegedly.
Speaker 2: Alleged by him in the video that he recorded, Yes cut off his father's head in a bathtub.
Speaker 3: He put it in a pot, and then recorded a video which he posted publicly onto YouTube. It was about fifteen minutes long titled Moan's Militia Called to Arms for American Patriots, where he ranted about a number of things and mostly called for the killing of federal employees. He fled. I think he went a slightly upstate towards a National Guard training camp and then was arrested a few hours later after his mother found the severed head and body of her husband in the house that they all lived in together. This is one of the most bizarre acts of extremist violence that I've come across in terms of like the amount of research I've done to this, and I think it kind of points at a this trend of extremist acts of violence done by people who have a lot of content on the internet, not just like posting manifestos, but like are positioning themselves as some form of like alternative content creator. This guy had a lot of music, had a lot of self published books. In lieu of leaving like a complete single manifesto, we get these just years of writing and like artistic creations that now live on archive dot org as kind of ghosts of this guy's presence.
Speaker 2: And I think what's interesting about that is that shift between between and I think the christ Church shooter is probably like the KT boundary of this particular evolutionary shift from like the norm would be that you would produce a specific manifesto as an act, like a political act, as part of whatever of active violence you carried, and the goal was both to inspire other people to act and to, you know, partly just to frame yourself as something besides alone maniac. And I think one of the things that's really interesting about this shift to an increasing number of these people representing what they're doing in fiction in some way or in some other kind of creative endeavor is that it sort of mirrors the idea that like, in our culture, the thing that people most want to be is some sort of like influencer content creator, Like that's the top desired job among like a lot of gen Z kids, and it's also just increasingly like the thing that people creatively want to see themselves as, and so like, I think this fits into this trend of violence, that is that is foreshadowed by someone, not by a work of like political thought, you know, which you may not want to think of a manifesto as that, but that is what it is, but is preceded instead by art.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I think I'll talk about a few kind of semi similar or at least other cases that have some curious linkages, probably close to the end of the episode, but I have some writing here prepared about the about the beheading video itself, and then a few other kind of random stuff about the art that he's made, and Robert will probably fill in some useful gaps because Robert acquired a very special piece of literature recently.
Speaker 2: So the night that this went down, as soon as I found out this guy had written not just a book, but multiple books, I was like, well, I kind of want to read these, and I know they're going to get pulled by tomorrow and Amazon will probably Amazon can just take back the kindle books that you buy from them, So I ordered a hard copy of the book that seemed like the most meaningful to him. It's called The Second Messiah, King of Earth by Justin Mohen. It is distressingly thick, like four hundred and fifty pages or so. It is so much book. And the weird thing about it, I've read through a chunk of it, and we will be getting to some of it. It's not badly written, and I want to be clear, I'm not saying that like he's a good writer in the commercial sense, or that he's a good writer in that like he's a skilled artist. I'm saying that, like it's clear writing. You're always sure what he's trying to say. When he depicts the vinces happening. Those events are crazy, but like he's they're clearly depicted, which is interesting to me. And yeah, we will be hearing about more of that in part too. But I have learned a decent amount about him from this book, The Second Messiah King of Earth.
Speaker 3: So let's get into that fifteen minute video. He starts by holding up what is alleged to be his father's head inside a plastic bag. He holds up for a few seconds and then starts talking. Now, my my initial reaction to this video is just how unremarkable most of this rant is. There's like calling for killing federal employees, which is like the one thing people do that.
Speaker 4: But also you can hear so.
Speaker 3: Many of the sentiments that he talks about from Fox News contributors, from popular right wing podcast hosts, and even sitting politicians. They also talk about how quote America is rotting from the inside out as far left woke mobs rampage are once prosperous cities, turning them into lawless zones.
Speaker 4: Unquote.
Speaker 3: Yeah, use that term a lot, lawless zones. That's that he's The term probably comes up like about ten times across this whole video.
Speaker 2: And I want to I think we need to start before we get further into this with the elephant in the room, which is like a lot and what a lot of people say about this guy, Well, this man was mentally ill, and that is absolutely the case. You know, I add the disclaimer whenever we talk about mental illness and mass shootings, people who are mentally ill, people who are schizophrenic are not more likely to do this kind of violence than anybody else. But that said, when they do it, they're also not necessarily less responsible. And what I mean by that is a person can be mentally ill and engage in a shooting, and that doesn't mean you shouldn't pay attention to what they are or another act of violence. That doesn't mean you don't pay attention to why they're saying they did it. The fact that this guy is clearly I believe, schizophrenic does not mean that his reasons for doing this are immaterial, because most people who have whatever mental illness this guy did have do not cut their dad's head off. So the fact that he is justifying it with this very boilerplate set of right wing culture war grievances is meaningful. And it's meaningful because absent that influence in his life, perhaps he either doesn't carry out an act of violence or it's at least a very different looking one, And so I think that is important to just get out to upfront.
Speaker 3: He certainly had years of experiencing paranoia, some conspiratorial thinking, but specifically the ayre directed towards his own conception of the federal government and how it is leading to society decay is what sparked this act of violence and is why he called for copycat killings. So yes, inside this rant, justin Mohan talks about taxes, inflation, and an economy that no longer serves American citizens. He mentions how the traitorous Biden regime is sending over American troops to fight in a doomed war in the Russian winter, leaving America defenseless against a quote fifth column army of illegal immigrants invading our southern border to strike Americans on our own soil. Unquote. That's another term he uses a lot, fifth column. Yeah, probly says it like four or five times.
Speaker 2: And that's a very old term. That's a term that you would hear in a lot of John Birch materially the middle of the last century, you know.
Speaker 3: So Moan identified himself as quote the commander of America's National Network of Militias, also known as Moan's Militia, which seems to be mostly a delusion. He had no known connections to actual militias in his state or any other states. This seemed to be an idea that he got into his own head. He then ordered all quote militias and patriots across the country to quote hunt down and murder every federal employee on site, and to sieze all courthouses, FBI, i rs, and federal law enforcement offices, to kill and capture all border patrol, US marshals, federal agents and judges and quote, torture them for information and publicly execute them for betraying the country unquote. He had this, really, he had this line that stuck out to me. I didn't copy. This is a long video. I did not copy every single thing he said. He also is this is one line he included, earn your place in heaven by sending a traitor to hell early with just the cold, like, very like emotionless way.
Speaker 4: He said. That kind of stuck with me.
Speaker 2: Yes, and that is not a belief that you have to go to a guy experiencing mental health crisis to find you can hear shades of this all over fucking Twitter, among other places.
Speaker 3: Can you hear this if you listen to certain right wingers give public comment like yeah, in your local city council like it's not.
Speaker 5: So.
Speaker 3: Moan asked that police, veterans, and National Guard join the fight, or else cities like Philadelphia will turn into lawless zones like Portland and San Francisco. He also asked local militias to be his own personal security force so that federal employees do not try to arrest him.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: He said that state governments should be left alone unless they intervene. In his revolution, quote, the federal government is the enemy. Then Mohne declared that quote, Joe Biden is no longer in power. I am now officially the acting president under martial law unquote. He ordered military generals to not deploy US troops against US militias and instead join their fight to defend the constitution.
Speaker 2: It would be fun if the constitution worked that way, if like they'd put that in back in seventeen eighty seven, like oh yeah, and if you know, if martial law is declared. He's not around yet, but there's going to be this guy just in Mode. He's a charge. So this is one thing that I'm still slightly confused on. Well, there's a few things that are obviously confusing. It seems confusing.
Speaker 3: But Mode offered a one million dollar bounty on a number of high level federal US employees and one hundred thousand dollars for every federal judge and even docksed one in Pennsylvania. He claimed to currently have ten million dollars to exhaust on these bounties, and that is not that's.
Speaker 4: Just not true. Yes, definitely not.
Speaker 3: Man constantly can plain about how he's in a poor financial situation as a result of a number of factors. He does not have ten million dollars. Now, he ordered all non military federal employees to resign before ending up like his father. Now, his father was an employee at the US Army Corps of Engineers for most twenty years. He resigned, I think like last year or a few years back. It's interesting he called for specifically non military federal employees to resign. He was very pro military. I'm not sure if his father working for the US Army Corps Engineers exactly that fits in to his ideology here. But we're not laying out a clear line of thinking.
Speaker 2: Obviously it is. This is just slightly off topic. But it's never not fascinating to me how strong the feeling of emotional attachment to the US military is, Like that even this guy would be like, this guy who was so clearly deranged and violent about this kind of thing would be like but they're the exception, Like there's obviously still basically good. It's just interesting to me, what else is interesting to me. Garrison is where our money comes from. And you know where our money comes from.
Speaker 4: The Federal Reserve.
Speaker 2: Yes, actually we are sponsored entirely, entirely by the Federal Reserve. So please, I mean literally, anything you do will I guess help the Federal Reserve. So go exist in capitalism and we're.
Speaker 3: Back speaking of another federal agency. One agency that Moan addressed directly was calling for the Postal Service to suspend all services split from the federal government or else he will not be able to offer protection. And Jesus Christ, no, that's negotiating with the Postal Service.
Speaker 4: That's very funny. I mean, this is serious, but that is kind of funny. This guy is into Nazi. He's not a Nazi.
Speaker 3: He is a He's an extremist. He is a he is a conservative extremist.
Speaker 2: He does repeatedly in his book, by the way, also talk about like racism being bad like that is like very much a consistent through line.
Speaker 3: But some of this like kill your local postman type stuff certainly reflects a strain of extrememist, neo Nazi thinking. That particularly James Mason's stuff from the eighties. Yes, so he also said quote if the media spreads lives with this revolution, I authorize the targeting of news stations, their owners and employees general kind of conservative, anti anti news, anti journalist rhetoric.
Speaker 4: Quote.
Speaker 3: The hunting, capturing, and killing of America's federal employees will not stop until americans demands are met and the network of America's traders is wiped out unquote. Now, some of these demands that he called for includes closing the borders, mass deportation of immigrants that have entered under the Biden regime, ceasing all human trafficking of children and sex slaves, which is obviously already illegal, canceling all public debt, an end to the Federal Reserve, restore Congress's right to print interest free money. Oh, and and ceasing all of the quote woke and gender ideology propaganda in the schools unquote. So we have a weird mix of like very like libertarian stuff like the federal reserve, interest free money, and then other more popular conservative stuff around like the border, and then this thing about woke and gender ideology.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's even a little like nessah Jesra stuff in there too, about like the whole like allow the government to print interest free money again, like that's that's it's interesting that that's mixed in tomatoe as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you know, it's a it's a curious collection of political thought. Now, traders to the country included not just federal employees, but also quote bribed members of the deep state, labor racketeers of the prison industrial complex, and globalist leaders of assorted industries unquote. Now there's there's a lot to unpacked there. Bribe members of the deep state. I think it doesn't need any explanation. But Moan had this idea that labor unions were working with corporations to make straight white males have a hard time to find jobs, so they would so that they would always be unemployed, and unemployment leads to people being arrested and sent to prison as a way to fund the court system. So this is what he means by labor racketeers of the prison industrial complex. It's that labor unions are colluding with the government and businesses to keep certain sects of the population unemployed to fill up prisons. Now, in terms of globalist leaders of assorted industries, he specifically was talking about big tech companies that commit tax evasion. He claimed that he used to work for Microsoft and witnessed massive time eccivation. I have not looked into that.
Speaker 4: I don't believe he will definitely do. Like, yeah, they all do.
Speaker 2: It's not I don't think they break the law because they have whole departments of people who are there to make sure that at least they're not breaking the law enough that it will matter. But like whatever, I mean again, some of this does.
Speaker 4: Some of all.
Speaker 2: Grievances like this come from real things, like the corporations like Microsoft that are tremendously wealthy do not pay their fair share and in fact do a great deal to allide their tax burden. He's just like, yeah, It's one of the frustrating things about this is how all of this actual malfeasance feeds into these delusions and feeds into the conspiratorial narratives of the people that take advantage of people like justin Yep.
Speaker 3: He said that Marshal Law will continue as long as Americans support him and until America is secured enough to hold a legitimate election, and that Moan would authorize police a military to use any force necessary to take back because the city is from quote fifth column extremist organizations such as the lgbt community, the BLM movement, and terrorist organizations like Antifa.
Speaker 4: Unquote.
Speaker 3: This is where he went on a whole Antifa rant, saying Antifa is a part of the Federal government's systematic, top down, globalist and communist takeover of America. Moan stressed the importance of capturing alive quote one of the key players involved in this treason, or else they will never be able to discover the entire network of evil. Unquote. So Moan blamed Antifa, BLM, and the LGBTQ community for stoking a division to create a race war and religious war. It's it's just it's it's it's it's hard to hold to hold the justification of your You're accusing people of stoking division as you're holding up the severed head of your father. Like, there's just that a complete disconnect here.
Speaker 4: Quote.
Speaker 3: The government has disallowed any peaceful solution. Violence is the only solution to the Fed government's treason and the actions of their fifth column terrorist organizations like Antifa. This is an ideological and spiritual war unquote.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very similar in some ways to what McVeigh was saying, right, Like, this is the only way to communicate with the government. It's the only language that they understand.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And then lastly, he kind of closes this video with a further look into some of his own political delusions. He said that before the twenty twenty elections, electors and campaign contributors from both parties said that they saw Justin Mohan as the best candidate for the president of America. He's thirty two years old. He was like twenty eight back in twenty twenty.
Speaker 4: Quote.
Speaker 3: I could have been the first unanimously elected president, but I was betrayed by the FBI, federal courts, and my own family because there are people that believe I am the Messiah, which goes against the government's satanic communist ideology.
Speaker 2: Quick note, if all of those groups didn't want you to be president, how would you have been elected unanimously or would the FBI have been like, well, now that he's on the ballot, we got to vote for the guy.
Speaker 3: So after saying there are many people that believe I am the Messiah, he then said, quote, I would never compare myself to Jesus Christ, unquote, which is not true. He has many times.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he sure has.
Speaker 2: You know, most notably in the title of his book The Second Messiah, King of Earth by Justin Mohan. Yeah, although that is about his self insert character who he says lives a life identical to his named Buster moon.
Speaker 4: Buster moon Uh huh.
Speaker 3: And then I will do the last little bit about this video. Quote, if there is a federal employee in your family, make it your New Year's resolution to kill them in order to protect your own children unquote home and then Moan followed that by quoting from Matthew ten twenty one. This is a verse in the New Testament. Brothers and sisters will betray one another and have you each other put to death. Parents will betray their own children, and children will turn against their parents and have them killed unquote.
Speaker 2: It's interesting because I've heard that sided before, and usually it was in like older conspiracies of the New World Order, and like, yeah, that's what they believed the evil anti Christ you win regime was going to do to them. It's fun to hear someone be like, that's what we have to kill the families of the people who are.
Speaker 3: I don't think that's what he's actually saying. He's saying like he's talking about how he is felt betrayed by his own family and by the government.
Speaker 2: Oh gotcha, Okay, that makes sense.
Speaker 3: This points to like this massive disconnect in his own head. This is the betrayal he's talking about. He is he is using this verse as a reference to like the end times, but he's saying like, this is the betrayal that we're seeing and in response, now we have to do this. So on, I'm going to quote from ABC News here. So, the US Marshall Service investigated Moan in August or twenty twenty three after he allegedly made a threat against a U. S. District Court judge. The case was closed that same month. He was reported to police pretty frequently for his bizarre behavior in his own neighborhood, like sitting on manhole covers and staring at houses for hours on end. Now Mon has held CONSPIRATORI and anti government views for at least seven years and attempted to recruit people to join his Moan's militia on Reddit and Discord, though no one seemed to join, and then at least one Discord server threw him out because of his repeated recruitment attempts and after fleeing home after he posted that video, he drove more than one hundred miles north and broke into the Pennsylvania National Guard base with a gun, and then was arrested after he was tracked there on his cell phone. There is a song that Justin wrote about three years ago about being arrested after being tracked on his cell phone after doing violence against his family.
Speaker 2: You think he would have like not had a cell phone on him, given that he was aware of that as a risk.
Speaker 3: But I don't know if he was really thinking large like yeah, if you watch the video, like he like he thinks National Guard is going to like join him, Yeah, he's not.
Speaker 4: He's not thinking about it that way.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I believe mon is published at this point nine books. I'm going to read from his his Amazon about page. Justimona is the author of seven books now nine, and a musician of three albums and one single. His life story is unbelievable and there may not be enough words to describe him, but one may begin to understand his complexity and experiences through his art. He only wishes to bring positive change to the world. Now I will I will talk about some of those some of those other books after we take a quick ad break here and learn about some important messages from our sponsors.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So justin Mohan's bibliography, here we go. So I think Robert has one of his books, The Second Messiah, King of Earth. Yeah, there is many other books he's published, including a.
Speaker 4: Book Startling Number.
Speaker 3: A book called The Pink, a book called Poems I Wrote Well Stoned, a collection of poems they will burn, this book, The Punishing America's Coming Bloody Revolution, The Kingdom of Darkness, dark Ages of the Future, a collection of short stories, and finally, The Revolution Leader's Survival Guide. How schools, workplaces, and social norms kill the genius inside us.
Speaker 2: All not bad at titling, you know, so pretty pretty effective. Good good for SEO.
Speaker 4: I'm on board.
Speaker 3: Let's start with that last book here, The Revolution Leader's Survival Guide. It targets the quote constraints against education, creativity, and human progress throughout history unquote, and the book is mostly about Mohan's own inability to find a high paying enough job after college. This is a reoccurring trend in a lot of his books, including I Believe the one that Robert has. Mon complains about student loans, how America's education system is faulty, and talks about being bullied in school as a kid. I'm going to quote from the book subscription. The author views the world on the brink of either a golden age of world peace and space colonization, or instead a second dark age of global wars and depopulation within the next couple of decades, if not sooner. Included within the book is a transcript of a letter Justin Mohan wrote to Donald Trump, warning that if America does not go under some great changes, Moan himself will have to lead a peaceful revolution. In another book titled The Kingdom of Darkness, published on May thirteenth, twenty twenty, it's a novel about Satan and fallen angels becoming quote trapped inside Earth's slowliest creatures after being banished from heaven. He has a whole bitch of other like fantasy and sci fi type books like aliens space exploration, a weird collection genre. In a pamphlet he self published on Amazon in August of twenty twenty titled America's Coming Bloody Revolution, The small book contains two chapters, one titled why a violent revolution is inevitable and a second titled How revolution can be successful, Moan wrote, quote, Americans will have to weigh what is worse allowing themselves to lose freedom and independence or killing their own family members, teachers, workers, bosses, judges, elected leaders, and other older generations unquote. This is where we get a lot of predictive writing around what he's going to be doing. Mohne described older generations as quote traders who wished to to take away the freedom and independence that comes with America democracy and free market capitalism. Which leads me then to the book that Robert has, The Second to Messiah, which was published in January of twenty twenty. It's about a man named Buster Moon who moves from Ohio to Colorado and quote painfully learns the dark secret of Colorado from everything containing satanic cults, the Democratic Party, and the Cold War. Now we will get more into this book, specifically in a later episode. I'm going to read a little bit from the back cover. The only thing more absurd in this fiction book is the fact that it's loosely based on the life of author and musician Justin Mohan, whose four years stay in Colorado caused multiple lawsuits changed the possible outcome of the twenty twenty US presidential election by exposing three presidential candidates as corrupt, which forced them to drop out of the race. We have more of these presidential delusions that he was talking about at the end of his beheading video here, and in terms of how this mirrors, like I said, we'll learn more about this book later, but I will talk now some about his actual personal life, which will then become slightly reflect did in the book, like going to Colorado Springs. He graduated from Penn State with a business management degree and sued the federal government multiple times for letting him take out student loans that he was forced to pay back. The most recent case was last year, where he sued for ten million dollars because despite getting a degree with the loans, he was unable to quote find a satisfactory job as an over educated white man to repay the loan, claiming that he was a victim of affirmative action and reverse discrimination unquote. In a previously dismissed lawsuit against the Department of Education, he alleged that they neglectfully and fraudulently induced him to borrow money to pay for his education without sufficiently warning him of the possibility that he would face a difficult job market and could be unable to pay back his student loan. So Mohan did move to Colorado, just like Buster Moon about ten years ago, eventually getting a job at Progressive Insurance, but was fired in twenty seventeen for kicking down a door and quote breaking the company's code of conduct. Moan then sued Progressive in twenty nineteen for not receiving PROMI motions because he was a man. In his Violent Revolution pamphlet, Man claims that he was a victim of discrimination from quote being a top performing, over educated, and overqualified male employee unquote, and in that same pamphlet, Mohan wrote that his educational, employment and legal issues are evident that there is quote no peaceful solution for the youth to escape debt based enslavement, unemployment, and ultimately imprisonment. He compared his experience to quote the Soviet unions feared goolog prison labor system and in which entire states and countries were essentially turned into concentration camps. Mohan wrote that educators and parents who quote knowingly lie, brainwash and dumb down their youth unquote must be killed to prevent the spread of quote globalized communism. And corporate agendas. This is where we have an interesting combination of like anti communism fears but also anti corporatism that you see in some sects of like libertarian conservatism.
Speaker 4: You sure do.
Speaker 3: He claims that communism is like a virus and that America must treat it like a virus. Quote the only logical way to do so is for every American born in nineteen ninety one or later to kill anyone born before nineteen ninety one.
Speaker 4: Unquote. Well now he's cooking, Okay, okay, yeah, yeah, I'm back on board. I'm back on board. You know, this could work. So it just so happens. Said that was the year that he was born. Uh huh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Logical logical point to divide it on. I'd respect it more if he'd been born earlier, you know. But so I already mentioned some of his music. It had similar predictive elements of he was doing art in almost like in practice of what he was then going to later do in person in terms of carrying of violence, as well as just evident of kind of delusional and paranoid thinking. He has a song about being gang stocked. He has a song about I Think like a girlfriend who broke up with him. He has songs talking about how it's okay to kill communists and how we're overall seeing a decline in American society. So that that is most of what I have to say about Justin Moune. I could certainly say a whole lot more now on top of my research onto him himself. I also wanted to look at the sort of online chatter that neo Nazis and other extremists were saying, and I put together, hey, a large catalog of telegram conversations about Justin Moune, watching the spread of certain conspiracy theories around this incident, and just to see what their overall take was. Will I will paraphrase my eighty page research document here by saying, it seems most Nazis and other white supremacists or far right extremists thought that the Justin Moone incident was quote fake and gay unquote. They tend to keep up with these these thought fluencers, really glad that they're kidding some of their side.
Speaker 3: Many other far right extremists took this to be a syop. Sure, they thought it was an attempt to push forward this anti militia bill. That's being talked about as well as distract from the crisis at the southern border. Certain white pharmacists were upset that he used the phrase to Judeo Christian values because they are anti Semitic and Justin Moone did not seem to be consciously anti Semitic. Yeah, and had we had. These conspiracy theories travel everywhere, from standard kind of neo Nazi telegram accounts to more conservative Boomer Mega type stuff as well, mostly picking up on the on the on the anti militia angle, how this is probably a syop from the deep state to push forward this anti militia bill. Some people thought thought they were very clever in realizing this was a syop because they thought justinmone was thirty three years old. And there's this conspiracy theory around the number thirty three in a lot of these circles, the conspiracies around how the number thirty three is used a lot in like mass shooting incidents. Now it's not this is just pattern recognition, but also mon isn't thirty three, he's thirty two. So great, great work there. And there's specifically one telegram channel that found a prop head I believe on Etsy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like a prop severed head.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we started seeing this spread all over Twitter, conservative news sites. How this has to be fake because look we found we found the fake head they used, which is quite simply not the severed head that Justin Moan's holding up in the video. I don't think it's really much useful else to say about these conspiracy theories, but yeah, they certainly were kind of laughing along at some of like the gang Stocker e elements, thinking, you know, some people obviously thought he was based and cool for actually doing some of the ideological things that these Nazis believe in. Others thought it was it's just fun to make fun of a guy, so they decided it was a syop. Yeah, that is That is most of what I had to say about Justin Mohan.
Speaker 2: Well, this has been quite an inspiring journey. We are going to have more to say about Justin and finally get into his book, The Second Messiah, King of Earth, which is and in a way become my Bible. I think I may I may keep this in my apocalypse go bag, so I can do like a book of Eli with this thing. If the world ends, just be wandering alone across the wasteland telling everybody about this man's book.
Speaker 4: I guess.
Speaker 3: Finally, the last thing I'll say is that this reminds me of two recent incidents. We had one mass shooting done by a Nazi in Denver, Colorado, and he previously wrote and made short films depicting the murder that he would then do. We also had the Highland Park shooting on July fourth a few years back. Who the person who did that created a lot of music online in this very like I would say the Highland Park music was much more in like the Schizowave genre of extremist content. I think the stuff, the stuff that Justin Mohan is producing is honestly more like the stuff that schizo wave is like parodying, Like Justin Moans was a lot more like sincere, less less ironic.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 4: It was, it was, it was.
Speaker 3: It was just like taking at face value these two instances I was reminded of just because of how much those acts of violence were predated by artistic expressions of the later thing that they would end up doing. And yeh, in Mohane's case, it's exactly the same. He has written about killing family members, He's written about the exact way he would be arrested and tracked down writing that goes back like four or five years. This is there's so many people online who have exact who are in this same scenario, who are putting out this type of writing. No one knows who they are. Moan had like five listeners on Spotify. These people are unknown, and every once in a while one of them decides that writing about it isn't enough and they actually do it in the real world. And it's just this, it's this interesting trend of these people like almost like hyperstitioning these own acts of violence by making art that predates it, almost in some form of like preparation.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And we talked about hyperstition as a concept a bit in last weeks Behind the Bastards, but it is it is a term for essentially the methods and ways by which things that are fictional become real. And it can be kind of as esoteric as the idea of like preparing the way for a godlike AI by like spreading belief and that sort of thing, or it can be as direct, like as this as somebody envisioning the acts they're going to carry out in fiction and then carrying out those acts for real, like it on an individual level, what you're doing when you're doing this is you're kind of you are preparing yourself mentally for the thing that you're going to do. And when I would sort of lecture and talk about what to how to know something is like a real threat versus somebody saying shit on the internet, because that's obviously that's a real problem when we talk about this, there's a huge quantity of people saying stuff that could be them presaging like an act of violence, and you simply can't go after everything. One of the key things for me always is what have they gone and done anything in the real world. So for example, if a guy has like been going out and like egging homeless people or like lighting their shit on fire, and is also talking about murdering homeless people, well that's probably a guy who's going to do something right because he's actively going out in the real world and taking steps. He's prepping himself. And I think this kind of work. When somebody's written a whole novel about their murder fantasies, obviously that's not a thing you can invest your convict on, but like nor should it be. But that is somebody who is doing more than bullshitting online. That's somebody who has a fixation that they clearly can't get over, and those do sometimes lead to violence. And so yeah, I think I think it's really valid to look at this as not just a couple of incidents that are troubling, but as evidence of a troubling trend.
Speaker 4: Yep, all right, well that does a frustrating comment. Yeah, all right.
Speaker 3: Please do not earn your place in heaven by sending a trader to hell early. It does not need to work out very well.
Speaker 4: No, earn your place in heaven. Uh.
Speaker 2: I don't actually have a joke to finish this episode with. Don't don't commit murder?
Speaker 5: Bye?
Speaker 2: Oh, Welcome back to Podcast Man Sad, Bad People, the podcast about bad people that make the podcast Man Sad. I'm the podcast Man Robert Evans, and my co host today is our friend Garrison Davids. Garrison, how are you doing good? I thought it was one of my better intros.
Speaker 3: It was unfortunately quite good for a topic about it's abensively deranged shit.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, So obviously this is part two of our series on Justin Mohan, the author of our first politically.
Speaker 3: The author first, just as author better known for his other work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think people should know that. When you make that joke, as you did the other week on Behind the Bastards Too, you are referring to a mathematics paper that cites the Unibomber's other published mathematic theories. Is like better known for his other work mailing bombs to people?
Speaker 4: Oh, pretty funny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And like the Unabomber, Justin Mohan is deeply accomplished, as in all he's written more books than I have.
Speaker 4: Well, yes, that is true.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure if you want to be writing the types of books that Justin is but yeah.
Speaker 4: No, but but he did write them, and you get credit for that. Sure.
Speaker 2: So this was, as you stated last episode, published in twenty twenty, and I I need to start with the cover of this thing, because it's it's something else.
Speaker 4: We see, not a good cover.
Speaker 2: No, it is taken. He appears to have taken it or someone else took it from of him very close up at a rest stop. And this is relevant because rest stops play a critical critical role in some of his beliefs about the world and some of his theories about things that have happened to us. Yes, rest stops are happening places for Justin Mohan. Okay, he is looking behind him, He's like slightly disheveled. He's got like his shirt open weirdly down like a button further than.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm basically gang stocking vibes here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's very much. Again, we'll explain gang stocking in a second. But the pictures him, he's like looking behind his shoulder. There's like two big lights behind him in the distance in this photo, clearly taking it a rest stop. And then there are like cartoon text bubbles over his shoulder next to the lights that say get his picture, Hey, there he is, and then like cartoon action bubbles that say snap, snap, that I think are supposed to represent people taking photos taking pictures.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, okay this.
Speaker 2: As soon as I saw this, I had the same reaction you had, which is like, oh, this is some gang stocking shit. And if you're not aware of gang stocking, gang stocking is kind of an er web two point zero conspiratorial belief system. I don't know if a conspiracy theory is even really the right way to frame it. Gang Stalking is people who have I think these are generally people with schizophrenia, and one of the things that you can experience with schizophrenia is both this kind of overwhelming sense of paranoia and also the stereotypical hearing voices right, and some people become convinced that they are being followed. You know, this is something that has happened probably as long as that it has existed, that they are being like tracked, that they are people who are listening in on their thoughts. You hear variations of it. With the internet and digital communities, A chunk of people experiencing this started forming communities online, and I don't know the exact I don't know if anyone has sort of like sketched out how this happened in time, but the belief they ended up at is that certain people are what are called targeted individuals within the community, and those people are being stalked at all times by large numbers of generally government spies. Now when I say government spies, they are not envisioning like a James Bond type operator. They believe these are the regular people in the street around them, like people in their neighborhood. Their neighbors are all spies and are all stalking them all the time. And you can watch hours of videos. These people will often film eight hours of their life at a stretch, and you can see them just like angrily shouting at their window at like some dude walking past their house or whatever, or like a car. You like see that blue cars past three times, and that wouldn't happen if this wasn't like that. And it's so one of the things that like, one of the reasons that gang Stocking is kind of interesting and valuable to study if you're interested in, like how we got to our present moment of like reality collapse in the United States, is that this is an example of kind of feelings that have been associated with certain mental illnesses. I'm not going to say it's just schizophreny, but certain mental illnesses bring about severe bouts of paranoia and a feeling that you are being stalked right or people who are listening in on your thoughts or whatever. Because of the way digital communities work, a number of people experiencing this were able to not just get together and share their experiences, but convince each other that they were not the result of an illness and are in fact the result of a conspiracy. And they have now built a mythos around that conspiracy, and it has led to killings before. People have killed folks they believed were stalking them over gang stalking delusions. It's been happening for years. So yeah, that was the first thing that occurred to me when I saw this cover. And you can find other art that Moan put out where it's like real pictures of him and then fake art of like ghostly figures stalking him with cameras and stuff.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: A few months before he released his book, he put out a song that's I called the Justin's Stalkers about being gang stocked.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and again, gangstock is not a political conspiracy theory other than that you have to believe the government's evil, but don't we all right, So it's very accessible.
Speaker 3: There's certain gangstalking people who think they're like the Freemasons are stocking here, like the Illuminati is stalking.
Speaker 4: It's like random Antifa, you know.
Speaker 2: And sure, yeah, shit gets grafted on as a result of politics, but it did not inherently start as something that was like a political thing, just kind of out of this very ex filesy because the nineties is really when this starts to form. I think late nineties.
Speaker 3: And it's spread like wildfire are on. Like early Internet culture, people were able to convince each other or like yeah, have have their alreadies, like like a small delusion be strengthened and grown stronger by other people in this community, all kind of encouraging each other.
Speaker 2: And I think it's relevant too that it's kind of a Web two point zero early Web two point oh phenomenon, because I don't think you get the same thing, and I'm not going to say that what you would get would be any healthier, but from the social media, because the way most social media works is everyone's kind of in a big pit together, and this was really the result of a kind of community that was closed to outsiders, that wasn't really being watched by people who weren't drawn to it, building a culture in people like really, it takes a lot of time for that to happen. Obviously, YouTube is also a big place where this has grown, but I think after it had its roots established that was a bit of a digression. But I think it is kind of necessary because this is definitely that is definitely where justin comes out of you know, like that is very clear to me. All of this is kind of rooted fundamentally in Gang Stocking. I think that's like the foundational keystone belief in what has become his like conspiratorial milieu. So into the book itself, the first page, after the page that lets us all know Kindled direct publishing this responsible for this thing, says book Love.
Speaker 4: Kindles right publish it.
Speaker 3: Thanks, Amazon the best place to find all of the wild extra.
Speaker 4: Otherwise, never never.
Speaker 2: Make They've they've really done us all a solid. This book is dedicated to those who know who the real enemy is and can still laugh even in the worst situations. Hope, I don't know what I have that describes me. Yeah, it's great. So there are ten chapters in this thing. They are long chapters. Chapter one is thirty two pages, Chapter two is almost sixty pages, Jesus. Chapter three is like another sixty pages, like fifty pages for five. Yeah, these are like long, long chapters. And yeah, it's about four hundred and fifty pages.
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 2: So chapter one opens and I'm just gonna read you actually a decent little chunk here. So it starts with like him talking to his parents, But why leave Buster, You're a hometown hero, Missus Moon said. Missus Moon in her late fifties, paced back and forth on the hardwood floor of the living room. Yeah, Buster, you're popular. You were at the top of your class in high school, you were a star athlete. You can end up mayor of this town someday. Why don't you stay around here where everyone knows you and see what happens. You'll have to start a new elsewhere, mister Moon said. And obviously, Buster Moon is are the actual justin Mohan And we're talking about his parents, and when we talk about mister Moon, this is his dad who he.
Speaker 4: Murdered and beheaded. Just you know, keep that in mind.
Speaker 2: Mister Moon, in his early sixties, sat on a couch in the living room watching television. A black and white episode of The Twilight Zone was on. The sound on the TV was muted. That's the point. I want to start anew I want to meet new people, or at least not associate with the people I grew up with and went to school with my whole life. They're all going nowhere in town, and they'll take me down with them. And we get a little more of that where like he's talking about why he wants he's not happy here. There's no future for him. What's interesting to me is why he depicts and we don't know that this is accurate to his experience with his parents. But also I don't necessarily think it is not, because what he depicts his parents as saying is he shouldn't do this because it's danger Leaving home is dangerous. You can't be safe on your own in a new place or in the city, and you will inevitably get murdered or have something horrible happen. He puts these words in his dad's mouth right after he like, first his mom tells him, like, you're gonna die if you move out, and then he puts this in his dad's mouth, Yeah, you're going to get kidnapped, addicted to heroin, and sold into a sex trafficking rink. Then five years from now, we'll find pictures of you bound and gagged on some Russian website where you're up for sale. So that's his dad, and then his mom ads, why do you think your older siblings stayed within Ohio when they moved out. It's dangerous out of state without your family. So maybe that's just him putting words.
Speaker 4: In their mouth.
Speaker 2: But like, I have heard stuff like that from people that is not an uncommon thing to express, especially among conservative families. Cities are dangerous, people are getting human trafficked all the time. It's not safe to be out on your own.
Speaker 3: And those are some things he talked about in his beheading video. And yeah, I know that after he had to move back home from Colorado after losing his job, he did move back in with his parents in Pennsylvania. Yep, he does have an older sister that just ran in other things. I know his actual personal life and how they could maybe tie in.
Speaker 2: But yeah, yeah, yeah, And then you know, a little bit later, as this argument goes on, there is a note where his mom's like, maybe it would be for the best if we took you to a psychiatrist. Buster, you don't seem to be thinking straight.
Speaker 4: Interesting. Unclear to me if.
Speaker 2: They did, but I think that does kind of suggest that was a thing his parents suggested often. And then his dad says, yeah, you're talking crazy, Buster. If someone doesn't mug you when you step out of the car, you'll end up running out of money and being homeless, and then you'll get put in prison for panhandling, trespassing or stealing food and ended up making prison love to Bubba the butcher, and that has the feeling of something that he heard before. That that's pretty specific, like that sounds like something somebody was told and is kind of repeating here. You know, I don't know that, but that is very much the feel it has. And there's a couple other bits where it's like, I could see this being something you heard from your very conservative family or elsewise picked up in the media. Because there's another point where his dad is like, you'll be all alone and they know exactly how much money you have. It's all digital. You can't beat the system. You can't beat dot dot dot. And then in italics the machine missus Moon shot a white eyed glance.
Speaker 4: At mister Moon.
Speaker 2: Huh, what do you mean, buster said, Mister Moon shook his head. Oh, nothing, you'll have to find out for yourself. And then at this point a cow screams. That's how he describes the cow as screaming. And then their dog barks and they all run outside. It's clear that something has gone wrong, and mister Moon says, aw, hell not again, those cult fucking commie bastards. He grabs a shotgun and there they find the ex sanguinated and skinned corpse of the family cow outside in the.
Speaker 3: Yard because they're at like a farm in Ohio, I believe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're at like the family. So he thinks at first that this hide as a carpet. Then Buster realized the carpet had black and white spots like a cow and was hide material. The cow had been completely exsanguinated, as the livestock industry would call an animal drained of blood. The cow's eyes were missing, the bones were strewn in a perfect circle around the cowhide in an almost ritualistic or ceremonial manner, with a skull at the top of the circle. Will twelve would be on a clock about the same time it was. Then there was not one drop of blood near the scene.
Speaker 4: Huh.
Speaker 2: Now, when I brought up x files earlier, that's kind of why, because that's x files stuff.
Speaker 3: That's a very x files opening up. The Twilight Zone was playing on the TV in the room in the scene.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, And.
Speaker 2: This is all obviously, by the way, if you listen to a lot of or read a lot of like this particularly kind of turn of the last century UFO stuff, a lot of it focuses on animals being exanguinated, right, cows killed in these like weird fashions. Now he is talking about a ritual murder. And also the timing doesn't work out because they hear the cow run outside and it's been completely skin and excite. But well, I think what's important is it's like you get an idea of like this didn't come into his mind unbidden. Right, the term exsanguinated as referred to a cow's corpse had not come into his mind and bidden. That's evidence of like the kind of media diety had.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 3: I mean he was born in nineteen ninety one, that's like, yeah, that's prime growing up with the XPS.
Speaker 2: Oh absolutely, yeah. I mean I'm not that much older than him, and that was definitely a big part of my childhood.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But you know what could be a big part of your childhood retroactively.
Speaker 3: The products that can make your life better.
Speaker 4: That's right, That's right.
Speaker 2: Garrison time is a flat circle, and that means that if you buy products that advertise on our show today, anything bad that happened in your childhood can be healed. So here's the at.
Speaker 5: Ah.
Speaker 2: We're back and we're reading from the Second Messiah, King of Earth by our friend justin Mohan.
Speaker 3: So it opened with what I would describe probably as it's probably some kind of satanic ritual.
Speaker 4: I'm guessing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, we get a little more about what his dad thinks here, because the next thing, you know, but his dad starts crying and Buster tries to comfort him, and his dad says, a cow that waits nearly a time, Well, look the spelling's not perfect. A cow that weighs nearly a ton gets completely drained of blood, and its bones and organs are taken out perfectly, without one drop of blood being spilled. And it all happens right here in the middle of this field and less than an hour, maybe even in just a couple of minutes. It's the fifth cow this has happened to you this season, and Betsy was my best cow. We just won't be able to make a profit this year.
Speaker 4: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: He starts to cry, and then he says, don't tell your mother I told you this, but you're right to leave this place and go far away. There's nothing for you here, and in fact, there's nothing for anyone here. So at this point Buster's like, hey, don't say that, dad. You know we've still got a farm, it'll be okay, and his dad says, oh, buster, soon you will learn if you move out west on your own. There is an evil in this world which has found its way into this country, to every country. It is an ugly evil. Nearly all the family farms in this state and plenty of other states have seen the same trend in the past twenty years or so, a trend none of us have seen before, unexplainable tragedies. Livestock gets mutilated or disappears, crops get infested with bugs and disease, and then all of a sudden, the farm is taking a financial loss, the farm shrinks, and eventually the family goes bankrupt or their land is bought out by a big corporation. More farmers have committed suicide in the past decade than any other profession and I can't blame them.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: That ties into some very real and very powerful conspiracy theories that this is a lot of this ties into like Bill Gates stuff, you know, the idea he has bought up a bought a bunch of farmland and among conspiratorial sex he has bought all the farmland and China's buying all of it or China and Bill Gates are buying it together, and they want to because they want to control the food supply and take out the ability of Americans to feed themselves. Right Like, this is a This is something he picked up from right wing media. This is not an invention of his for this book. This is probably something he was either raised to believe or came to believe fairly early in life because of what other people around him were saying. This is common stuff. He has put a twist on it, but this is not coming out of nowhere. So after this, he basically tries to talk his dad and like, hey, can't you call the FBI or the police, serve you survey them to catch whoever's doing this? And his dad says, other farmers have tried, they just lose all their money faster, and the police and an FBI have investigated, But how could they stop something like this from happening out of nowhere. I've sold more than half the acres of the Moon family farm over the past three years alone, and we can still barely stay afloat. There's no fighting it. It's too secretive, it's too consptantant, it's too well orchestrated. It's just too evil. But why is this happening, Why is the government letting America's farms get unfairly taken over? Well, as my father once told me, if you want to take over a country, you have to gain control of their food supply. Remember, my father was an immigrant from Germany and he fled the Nazis with your grandmother, who was a Jew, to come to America. He used to always say, there are the Germans, there are the Russians, and then there are the Germans from Russia, and they all came to America for the same reason land.
Speaker 3: And this is that is Justin's family history, which is also yeah, why some Nazis on telegram did not like him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's very much not a Nazi. And at the same time there's elements of like what he's saying here that like, yeah, the Germans from Russia that moved here very much John Birch, stuff that like a fifth column of communists from Europe have moved here and are trying to change this country. So the conversation ends, he goes to sleep. He wakes up the next morning to like leave his family forever to start a new life out west, and he starts by going out to the farm, taking out his pipe and his last bit of marijuana, a few green buds that he says to himself, perfectly calculated, and then he smokes his last bowl of marijuana, which I'm sure he did regularly and certainly did not help.
Speaker 3: His So Justin Mohan did have a medical marijuana card that he had to give up on January twenty ninth to go the handgun that he would then later use one day later to kill his father.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I guess good that he had to give up his medical marijuana card first. Yeah, that's keeping people saying yeah, yeah, really stop the problem. So he says goodbye to his parents and he gets on the road, right they seem. He actually does not describe his dad as being very mean in this He's pretty sympathetic in the book. But interesting, Yeah, which is interesting. But you know, a few years went by between this one and between him killing his father. So why when I brought up earlier that highway rest stops are a major part of this book, that's because of what comes next. So he crosses from Ohio into Indiana and he sees a rest area approaching Hmm, got a piss and wouldn't mind a snack, Buster said. He pulls off the highway. He gets into a parking lot, and he describes most of the men and women wore overalls, flannel shirts, and straw hats walking in and out of the building to and from the parking lot. A few people stood off to the sides of the building in parking lot. In a grass area, a few men were urinating outside near the trees. An old man was squatting at the tree line taking a shit. I've never been to I've been to a lot of rest drops. I've actually not seen that happening at a rest stop. But this is to set up something that's happening at the rest stop, which he learns about when he goes into the bathroom. And it turns out to be a bad decision because as soon as he stands at the urinal, he hears someone behind him saying.
Speaker 4: Oh, yeah, that's real nice.
Speaker 2: Just look at that. You want to try it? Another voice whispered. Buster eyed with one eyebrow and raised towards the stall on his left four legs stood in the stall, and then he hears people snorting drugs and a bit of white powder falls to the floor. And a guy falls down and then is like, oh shit, that's good. How much for an ounce I think they're selling. I'm not sure if it's supposed to be fentanyl or cocaine, Yeah, something like that. And then they realize he's listening to them do cocaine or whatever in the rest stop bathroom. Hold on a sec, I think someone's in here listening to us. The other person whispered, should we kill him? The first person whispered, at which point he fleets.
Speaker 4: The rest stop. Yeah, quick escalation.
Speaker 2: This is like such a like to take into a humorous degree, but such a like oh what what the Fox News viewing set thinks about? Like everything outside of their suburbs.
Speaker 3: Justin did not grow up in Ohio. He grew up in Pennsylvania. I think his family lived about an hour north of Philadelphia, So he grew up in a very like suburban area outside of a big city. And that all kind of grafts onto this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it makes sense. Now, there's an interesting bit here when he's outside of I guess they decided not to chase him out of the bathroom, but he's still walking around the rest stop, and we get a little like gang stalking bit here, people stared at Buster and kept glancing at him, and he wondered why he didn't look or dress too differently. And he was barely out of Ohio than he realized everyone was with someone else, nobody else was alone except him, And like, that's a delusion. That's the kind of delusion leads to gangstik because number one, I guarantee you there were other alone people that every rest stop he ever went to. But also like people don't pay attention to that sort of thing. That is a voice in his head telling him to hyper focus on this.
Speaker 4: So he gets.
Speaker 2: Freaked out by this. He describes himself having a panic attack. Right, He describes like having a panic attack about the fact that he's alone out here. Now it seemed as though more people were glancing at him, even talking about him, as if they sensed his feeling of vulnerability emanating from his chest like sharp smelling fresh blood. So he finishes eating and he gets back on the highway and he drives for a bit more until he crosses he passes Indiana and gets into Illinois, and then we have another rest stop scene. This is like he spends a lot of time on rest stops and this is I'm going to need you're accult knowledge here, Garrison, so you can let me know if he gets.
Speaker 4: This stuff right.
Speaker 2: So, as he's like walking through the rest stop area, he sees that, like there's a poster on the wall that says, this cabin was once an outpost for trading with the Native Americans, used during the Civil War to store guns and ammunition. Then he walks to another glass casing on the adjacent wall and he reads the poster inside considered haunted by locals after peg and witches lived in the cabin who were later burned at the stake for witchcraft. Abandoned for over one hundred years before being restored as a rest area. So that's to set the scene. And then he goes like gets himself some food or something, and as he's looking outside at the surrounding forest, he sees one hundred yards into the forest there are tiki torches lit and it's four oh one pm in the afternoon. What the fuck do they have torches lit in the forest for if it's not going to be dark for another two hours, Buster said, So he walks in and he sees a few individuals dressed like vagabonds, dancing slowly in circles around the fire, with their arms spread out waving in the air. Buster quietly climbed through some bushes to get a quiet closer look. There were two men and a woman, all in dirty torn robes, dancing within a circle of lit candles and tiki torches. One male and female danced inside the circle, chanting and murmuring words which Buster couldn't make out. The other male was kneeling on the ground inside the circle, carving up pumpkin A picture lay in front of him in a bed of flowers. Please, spirits of nature and beyond, except this pumpkin carving and our sacrifices on this day of sam Hayne, in remembrance of our deceased loved ones, please ease their passage into the other world. Okay, how's that sounding so far? Garrison?
Speaker 4: Is that real?
Speaker 3: Is this supposed to be around Halloween? Is this supposed to be.
Speaker 2: It's unclear, but based on the fact that it day ends at six pm?
Speaker 3: Probably yes, Oh yeah, okay, well yeah, I mean, dancing around a fire is certainly uh certainly fire rest stop.
Speaker 2: Sure, all right, Well, let's get to the let's get to them finishing the ritual. So next a woman screams the magic words ayaka, I don't know. Looked it up, couldn't find anything.
Speaker 3: That doesn't sound familiar to me either, but yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: So she screams.
Speaker 2: And then another female emerged from behind a tree with a donkey by a leash in one hand and a stick carrying a decorated horse's skull on the other. The horse's skull had read ornaments in its eye sockets and a sheet draping over its head. She danced into the center of the circle of candles with the others. The man who was kneeling picked up a long curved sword from the ground and stood up. Let the sacrifice of this ass please the spirits of nature.
Speaker 4: The man yelled, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, this is probably a little bit more intense than your average wiccan soven ritual.
Speaker 2: But sure, yeah, yeah, I don't know an ass. That's a unique sacrifice story. Usually it's like a cow or a chicken or something. But uh huh, I appreciate that. So he raises the sword above his head. No buster yelled heehaw, the donkey whine. The donkey got scared and jerked away, just as the man swung the sword. Slush blood spurted upwards and outwards. Ah, the female yelled. The female fell to her knees, and the donkey ran away from the forest. Her seffered arm, still.
Speaker 4: Holding onto the leech.
Speaker 2: The female raised her bleeding stump. You idiot, you cut off my arm, she said, Well, the donkey got scared. The man said, Now, what are we going to eat? The woman said. The three others glanced at each other, then looked at the woman on the ground with one arm. No, don't even think about it, she said. The man holding the sword raised it high up on his head again. Ah, she screamed. Ah, Buster screamed. The woman held her remaining arm up just as the man swung down the sword. The sword cut her hand in half from top to bottom between the middle finger and ring finger, slicing all the way down her forearm. Now that's that's not where I expected this passage to go. But it gets better because they all realize Buster's there at this point and give up on their plans to eat this woman, who they have now hacked at twice, and instead she and all of them start charging Buster, and he describes it as they all turned directly towards Buster and began ranning towards him. Even the woman with one arm, which was divided in half like a lobster claw, ran towards Buster, her arm flapping in halves as she sprinted towards him.
Speaker 4: That is interesting, writing, Yeah, that's I didn't call that coming. I love that. Yeah, she got lobster afied. Yeah, that's a very eventful saw one.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Huh uh huh. I don't think that actually happened to Buster. I don't think that. I don't believe.
Speaker 3: On Justin's move from Pennsylvania to Colorado, he stumbled across a pagan ritual where they dismembered a woman and gave her a lobster claw.
Speaker 2: I do suspect that maybe he saw someone walking their dog near a rest stop and filled in the.
Speaker 4: Rest That is certainly possible. Speaking of dog shit, you know what's not dog shit? These ads? Uh huh, that's right, these ads.
Speaker 3: Aren't we sponsored by like the state of Ohio or something?
Speaker 2: Huh oh, yeah, then in that case we probably should just move on. Ah, we are back and having a really good time learning some more about our old friend Justin moan So Garrison. At this point, he flees from the wickanists and their de handed friend, and he gets back on the road again. Doesn't seem to call the police over this, but I guess they probably were in on it too. What could the police have done about people dismembering a woman directly next to a crowded highway rest stop? So he decides he gets to Saint Louis he needs to find a place to eat. He finds a cheap Italian restaurant and he parallel parked at the curb. Buster walked inside the restaurant into the counter. A small man stood beside the counter with a thick Italian accent.
Speaker 4: I make a good bye for you like you find on the East coast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, West coast. And then he uses a slur for gay people stuff. Okay, no, good thank you. Buster said you ain't a slur, are you? The man said no, sir, Buster said you sure you don't don't want us some pineapples on this with no red sauce, all white and a cheesy stuffed crust.
Speaker 4: Huh. And then he calls him a slur again no very stereotypical, but also big in an Italian chef character.
Speaker 3: Here, you know, I actually I actually ate at an Italian restaurant in Saint Louis last year. I was not accosted for being gay.
Speaker 4: But that's good. That's good. Did your guy have a comedic Italian accent?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 4: I think I was being served by a lesbian. Actually, okay, well that's probably why. That's probably why. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So buster tells him that he just wants a plain pizza, and the pizza man is willing to serve him, but he does use the slur again. At this point, two men barged into the restaurant wearing long black pea coats, black pants and shoes and black fedoras.
Speaker 4: Already paid my space. Here we go. This is this is what I was signing up for.
Speaker 5: This is rough.
Speaker 4: Stops are fine, this is what I wanted. Yeah, I already paid my dues.
Speaker 2: Boys, the man behind the counter said. The man behind the counter spun pizza dough in one hand. Look pet tony unpazzo cone pizza, one man said. The other man in the fedora laughs. The old fool thinks we're here to collect dues. So what the hella do you want a fucking pizza for?
Speaker 4: And he just keeps using that he can't he cannot mention pizza with that, dropping a slur. I am, I'll tell you what.
Speaker 2: I'm not sympathetic towards this Italian man's plight. Both men and Fedoras laughed hysterically and turned towards Buster. They lifted their pea coats and revealed Thompson's submachine guns. They can't tell me guns.
Speaker 4: Those are so much more expensive than modern crime guns. Why are they spending thirty three hundred this? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, where?
Speaker 2: Oh it's good stuff, like in Chicago, baby, in Saint Les, of course, Chicago.
Speaker 4: Come on, Lewis, let's so you real here. The men never explain why they're killing this guy. But as Buster's eyes, yeah yeah, these are the These are the LGBT police.
Speaker 2: So they they open fire. They each empty one hundred bullets towards the man behind the counter. Then they turned to leave. You saw nothing, kid, nothing got it? The man said, I didn't see shit. Buster said, oh my god, So the bigoted pizza man has been shot full of holes and honestly, I'm fine, just leaves and goes back to his car.
Speaker 4: He finds, what a fascinating thing to include the story.
Speaker 2: Like it's He's making a lot of choices here. I wish I could ask him about some of his process, like why did the pizza man have to be stereotypically Italian? Why did the gangsters have to carry a gun that has been outdated for nearly one hundred years. Anyway, he goes to a cheap Asian restaurant next, and again parallel parks at the curve. He really wants us to know that he can parallel park. This is this is something he's made a point of several times.
Speaker 4: Interesting.
Speaker 2: Oh no, Garrison, I'm not not excited to try to read you. The next line, a small man stood behind the counter with a thick Chinese accent.
Speaker 4: Nope, nope, nope, you can do Italian.
Speaker 2: I am not gonna try this. What's important, you know, is that he says the same thing as the Italian man. I make it racistly, but he says, I'll make you good food like you get on the East coast, no West coast. And then he also uses the same slur. And then he asks several more times about it and repeatedly calls him a slur. I don't understand why they are both the same person, but the same two men in long black pea coats fedoras come in and then they shoot this guy repeatedly.
Speaker 3: Huh yeah, yeah, that's actually more interesting than this whole instant gets repeated, just a slightly different cultural backing.
Speaker 4: It is.
Speaker 2: It is compelling, right, and again the guys like you saw nothing, But then they're like, oh, hey, aren't you the same kid from the other restaurant where we just machine gun demand and Buster, showing admirable bravery here, says, yeah, what's going on. I'm just trying to find something to eat, and the mafia man very nicely explains, Oi, kid, every restaurant in Saint Louis is owned by the same gang. That's why they all say the same script when you walk in. But we're taking over their racket and we're taking over their restaurant business in Saint Louis.
Speaker 4: So that's why both the Chinese man and the Italian man said the same things. Is they have a script. Oh wow, huh yeah, that's compelling. That is compelling. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So so Buster stops at a gas station to get a pre made tuna sand which, which, to be honest, seems like the decision to make after after going two of these. Yeah, so he winds up driving again through the countryside, he approaches Columbia, in between Saint Louis and Kansas City, and he asks a guy if he can use a public restroom. Yes, sir, just take this here key, witches so you can get in the door. The man held a key up towards Buster.
Speaker 4: Hau.
Speaker 2: The man laughed odd way to write laughter, not how laughter sounds. Buster walked up to the man and took the key.
Speaker 4: Thanks.
Speaker 2: Buster said, we'll say, mister, you're not from around here? Is yeah, I don't recognize you. The man said, no, I'm just passing through. Buster said, you're making your way to Kansas City. Yes, sir, well you better be careful. There are abandons on that bridge that goes over the Missouri Rivers sometimes at night. Now that's not true.
Speaker 3: But also I did run into bandits on my okay, okay, on my road trip through through Kansas.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, it's been a couple of years for me. Yeah Saint Louis, Yeah, no, it was. It was intense.
Speaker 2: So Buster's like, that's great. I'm gonna use the bathroom anyway, and the man says, I'll be watching you, and so Buster says, okay, maybe I won't go, and then the man yells, I was gonna suck your dick. So I think we've gotten a good picture of, h what's going on with this guy. I'm not really sure why he It's interesting, like even the absurdity does have kind of its roots, and you can see some of these this like everybody is programmed, like saying the same script or whatever, like they're the Like that's why these interactions seem weird to me, is that like, this isn't real people talking to me.
Speaker 4: These are people reading from a script. It's all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can kind of tie it all back to some of the delusional thinking I want cities.
Speaker 4: Are these like lawless zones?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, there's bandits on the road and people just getting machine gunned in there in their restaurants.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So this book ends. One of the last chapters about this is the FBI and the CIA electrocuting Buster and asking him questions. They're making him specifically, they want him to tell them their sins, right.
Speaker 4: Because he's the second Messiah.
Speaker 2: Because he's the second Messiah, so one of the masks, and they seem to know everything about his entire life, right, which is again kind of ties back to the delusion. So one of them is like, what about the time you were drunken through a punching a guy who wasn't looking during a group fight in college? Not really sure what a group fight in college is, but we can move right past that. What about all the cigarettes you've smoked, an acid you've taken, and mushrooms in ecstasy and all the other drugs you did. I only did them a couple of times. It's not like I'm an addict. Still serious damage to the body and putting your life at risk. CIA is very concerned about his overall health.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the CIA famously on the edge about usings like at Las.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So this goes on for a while, and then the CIA agent leaves and FBI agents put him into a black suv and drive him to Andrews Air Force Base. The FBI agent's Wheelbuster onto an air Force one and air Force one jet also air force is one word, and got on board with him. Then the jet took off. By the time the jet landed in Moscow, Russia, Buster no longer shook constantly, but every once in a while he had a full body jerk. The FBI agents wheeled him off the plane two Russian FSB agents waited on the bottom of the ramp. The FBI agents nodded to the FSB agents, who nodded back. Then THEBI agents got back on board the jet. The FSB agents wheeled Buster to a black rectangular suv and put him inside. Then they drove to the Kremlin. Buster sat in a wheelchair in the Krimlin. He was motionless, stared off into the distance at nothing, and his jaw hung. Suddenly, his entire body jerked, then he went back to being still. The President of Russia walked up to Buster. King Moon there is an uprising for more food in several parts of Southeast Asia. The President of Russia said, gohea. Buster chuckled, But do you recommend Zig Global Communist Confederation Due to your majesty, the President of Russia said, go ha ha. Buster chuckled. Buster stared off into the distance, sill genocide. The President of Russia said, yeah, heh, I love that. Buster smiled. The President of Russia turned around to face representatives countries all over the world.
Speaker 4: Kills them all.
Speaker 2: Orders directly from the King of Earth, the President of Russia said, Fighters, jets and bombers from the United Global Force of China, Russia, America, and Europe, flew over Southeast Asia, dropping bombs in every country, destroying every main city, burning forests and villages, and killing hundreds of millions of people.
Speaker 4: And that's how the book ends.
Speaker 3: So I am fascinated about this middle chunk, yeah, where he's align where he goes to Colorado and uncovers a satanic conspiracy involving the Democratic Party. But that end bit kind of got me thinking about there was all of these like like all these like artistic things he was doing that was almost preparing himself to do an act of violence against a family member. But as much as that was the future he was building for himself, you also mentioned that he was being transported around by the FBI, and like, I wonder how much that was a part of the future he was building for himself. Like now that he's arrested at an National Guard base, he's now being taken from place to place by government officials. He's constantly now surrounded by Feds, Like he has he has built the reality for himself that now he is actually always watched by the government because he's been arrested for doing this things Like he's he has created this fantasy world that he can now live in forever. Yeah, whether he goes to trial, he's probably gonna I if his defense is smart, they'll do some sort of insanity defense. He'll be sent to a psychiatric place. Like he's now always going to be watched. He is being moved around by government agents, like he is living the thing that he was writing about. And I find that that that second half of like him being caught also a compelling like a compelling thing that he was preparing himself for.
Speaker 2: And it it I mean he is he expresses repeatedly variations of like because the FBI and the CIA are constantly in this book and also like constantly just like people coming into his life around him, which again is part of this illusion. But also you can see how a lot of these common right wing tropes about like everything is infiltrated by the Feds January sixth, with the Federal op and stuff, how this is also going to feed into the delusions of a guy like this right like he's very much this is very much ripped from the headlines, and that you can see how things he was encountering and like conspiracy culture and popular media grafted themselves on to the delusions that he had. Yeah, you can also see I turned randomly to a page I haven't gotten to yet in this book two sixty and the first line I saw in the middle of the page is, let's fucking kill them and then eat them a midget and a wheelchair, yelled, holding an RPG.
Speaker 4: So there's quite a lot in this book. All right, Well, well then.
Speaker 2: I don't know what the line of good taste and is, Like, I think it's I don't think we'll keep going back to this. I felt justified and like, well, I want to know what's in this thing once. It seems kind of bad to keep doing that, this guy who murdered people's book. But man, there's a lot in here.
Speaker 3: Oh, and there is a use in understanding how these people think and under unpacking the sorts of large, large swaths of of content that that people that are doing these mass acts of violence or very targeted acts of violence have been leaving online because it allows you to actually get a better look at overarching patterns. Specifically, his songs for Me are very very evident of that. Yeah, Like they're very similar to a lot of stuff you were you were reading the book, like he has the The song about him being tracked on his phone is called they Came for Justin Moan. Yeah, they found him all alone, they tracked him on his phone. He talks about the student loans that he couldn't pay off, the payments made him grown, money controlled his life. They wanted him to die just like this, all all of just all this stuff. They said he was God. They came for Justin Moan.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Anyway, it's well, it's it's it's not to like laugh at him necessarily, No, it's it's about actually understanding this and yeah, this is all fucked up. So a part of a coping mechanism is kind of laughing at some of the more ridiculous elements, but it is it is an attempt to actually understand this, this growing trend in American culture.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you can't just like and this is the thing that the right often once it wants to do with this, is like, well this is just a mental illness problem, and like, no, it's not like you have to understand it's American culture. Yeah, what's going into people's heads, even if they also have, you know, are are mentally ill. What's going into their heads? What they believe about the world, influences how they act on those delusions, and the nature of those delusions.
Speaker 3: This is what happens to your brain when it entirely becomes corrupted by the culture of war like this is. This has now taking over his entire method of things. This is the only way you can see the world. And there's people who are paid to get people to be like this like this is.
Speaker 5: This is.
Speaker 3: People's whole job is to get more and more people to only think in these terms. And this is one of the results of that of that effort by elements of the American right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, anyway, it's bad.
Speaker 3: That'll be a good book to explain to a young child in fifty years. Why why is this on your bookshelf?
Speaker 4: Well, let me tell you. They've just in mode.
Speaker 2: If I ever have a kid, Garrison, this will be the first book they rate.
Speaker 4: No, that's that's probably bad idea. Well, let's uh, let's be done. Let's let's go away.
Speaker 7: Goodbye, Hello, and welcome back to It Could Happen Here, your favorite daily podcast about the studied dissolution of society as.
Speaker 5: We know it.
Speaker 7: I'm your guest host, Molly Conger, joined once again by our friend Garrison.
Speaker 3: Hello, happy to look at the abyss once again.
Speaker 7: Yeah, try not to ruin your day too bad today, So Garrison, today I want to talk to you about some terrible guys that I know you're already pretty familiar with. The Goyam Defense League the GDL. The GDL, there's sort of a loose network of neo Nazi trolls, best known for their anti Semitic flyers, headed up by a failed rapper named John Minnedeo who calls himself Handsome Truth.
Speaker 8: Handsome Handsome Truth.
Speaker 7: So there's this sort of core cast of characters in Minnedeo's orbit that shows up in person, mostly in Florida and Georgia, but the group's real strength is online. They have this decentralized network of thousands of followers nationwide who are encouraged to download and print the anti Semitic flyers and distribute them in their areas. It's not a new model, right like the Klan has been doing this for decades, and National Alliance was big into this in the early aughts.
Speaker 8: But that's what they do.
Speaker 7: Right in the news every few weeks, you know, your local news wherever it is that you live, you know somebody left these racist flyers on everyone's front lawn, and I know you and I have talked about doing an episode in the future about the sort of counter productive responses to these in person demonstrations, the flying and the banner drops. There's a new law in Florida and a proposed law in Georgia that are sort of allegedly aimed at countering anti Semitism, but are going to have some sort of counterproductive knock on effects. And I hope we can get to that at a later date. But today I want to talk to you about a little project some GDL members have going on the side called the City Council Death Squad?
Speaker 3: Are they going you around in Gilding City Council members, because that's kind of what it sounds like.
Speaker 8: It does sound like, that's kind of that's the energy here.
Speaker 7: They haven't done that yet, yes, But Garrison, how would you feel if I told you a former Juggalo calling himself Scottie big Balls trying to trying to destroy the thing I love most, which is civic engagement in municipal government.
Speaker 3: I have such complicated feelings of Juggalos.
Speaker 7: Oh God, No, I want to be clear I'm not slandering the Juggalo community here, right, Like mister big Ball's got his hatchetman tattoo covered up with a big snake holding a gun a couple of years ago, So he's no longer god that there's a cool name for their community. He's no longer a part of the Juggalo community. I don't think the Juggalos would buy this kind of behavior.
Speaker 3: Generally, not. They are kind of semi cool.
Speaker 7: No, I'm off for chicken hunting, I don't. I don't think they abide No, I by just by a happenstance, you know. Icps not my cup of tea. No, no, shade, it's not my cup of tea. But I did see them perform at the Lincoln Memorial a couple of years ago, and it was the most polite crowd I've ever experienced at a live music event.
Speaker 8: So hats off to the Juggalos.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 7: Now, if you're a city council meeting enthusiast like myself, you may already be aware of the rash of racist zoom bombings disrupting meetings around the country over the last nine months or so. Remote participation in meetings became nearly ubiquitous during the pandemic, and the opportunity to make a public comment without having to devote an entire evening to sitting in an uncomfortable chair at city hall has made civic engagement more accessible for all kinds of people right, not just because of contagion, but remote participation benefits everybody, like parents who are managing a bedtime routine by the time the public hearing opens at eight PM, or sure don't work in nine to five, or people without reliable transportation. So it's been a boon for local democracy, but it's also created a unique opportunity for people who want to ruin that. So last year, Scotty big Balls Mister big Balls, the online pseudonym for a self described not see named Harley Ray Petero Junior, started a group he calls the City Council Death Squad organizes online to find government meetings, mainly city and county council meetings all over the country that allow public comment by a zoom, and then it coordinates those members to sign up for speaking slots, crowding out actual community members who are trying to speak on you know, like actual matters of local concern, and when the members of the group get through, the calls follow a couple of predictable paths. Sometimes the caller just starts screaming slurs.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 7: It's just as soon as they connect, it's just screaming the N word over and over and over and over and over again until someone can hit the button to cut it off. Sometimes they do what they call the slow roll, where they start off trying to sound like a real caller. You know, they'll say, like, you know, I have concerns about zoning in my neighborhood, or I you know, I think we should pay the police more, and then it veers abruptly into some kind of bizarre antisemitic conspiracy theory about crime or nine to eleven or advocating for public lynchings.
Speaker 3: Sure, yeah, yeah, yeah, where they it's like, spend a few minutes eating up the city council time, and then to curtail it with some unh hinge ramble.
Speaker 7: Right, and then yell slurs yes, yes, yes. And another favorite of the group is a call format where they pretend to be gay or Jewish themselves and then ascribe to themselves various traits associated with bigoted stereotypes of the girl.
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 7: John Benedeo has participated a few times himself, and he loves this one. He pretends to be a gay Jewish person named Tammy and then says some pretty outrageous things. Sure, I bet the callers give themselves inside joke names like Rudy Hess or Sadie n word, which, when you say it out loud, sounds like say the N word, So it's like a Seymour Butts kind of thing. It's like Bart calling most tavern except it's Nazis.
Speaker 3: Wow, very very clever, on the cutting edge of comedy.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Or they'll name themselves after a mass shooter, like Dylan Rue for Andraspravic or you know, sometimes it's like a deep cut, like a more obscure killer whose name might not arouse suspicion right off the bat, like Jim Adkisson, a man who shot eight people at a Unitarian church in Knoxville in two thousand and eight during a children's production of the musical Annie because he was angry about the church's liberal teachings. So you know, those good jokes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is all like kind of like old like old school kind of chan humor. It's it's not even that popular anymore because it's kind of just out of vogue. You're kind of you're kind of outing yourself as like a bit of like a not an actual boomer, but like it's become a boomer fied this type of humor. It's not really this sort of thing that younger, more hip neo Nazis are into. They they have, they have, they have moved on, they have other other horizons of bad jokes.
Speaker 7: So ruining everybody's good time by shouting a racial slur is hardly an innovation. But this particular operation has a discernible origin point. In May of twenty twenty three, Potero, that's mister big Balls, if you've forgotten already and friends showed up in person to a Sacramento City council meeting to show their support for Ryan Massano. If you're from the Sacramento area, you probably know him. Masano, a former Proud Boy with several failed runs for office under his belt, already had a long history of being disruptive in public meetings. In twenty eighteen, he's removed from chambers during a Valejo City Council meeting after saying the city was quote infested with homosexuals, and refusing to be called to order by the mayor the meeting of the same body in twenty twenty two, he was picked up and carried out after refusing to end his remarks at the end of his time. So in twenty twenty three, he's attending every meeting of the Sacramento City Council. This has been going on for almost two months. He shows up, he gets up, he makes his homophobic, racist, and antisemitic remarks, but he's keeping with the rules of the meeting and they're letting him make his statements.
Speaker 8: But people aren't happy about it. So activists are shooting to show up to the meetings.
Speaker 7: People are showing up with banners, people are booing him, people are showing up to counter this, and so he puts out a call for backup. So at this at this point that Petero shows up with two masked associates and a man named Jeffrey Perene, who, like Massano, was a proud boy with a failed school board run to his name at that time. In twenty twenty three, Parene had recently been arrested outside the home of a youth pastor after publicly calling for others to join him in going to the pastor's home during a school board meeting that had to be adjourned because of Parene's disruptive behavior. So we're seeing a pattern emerging here, right, Like at this point, we've got two proud boys who keep getting kicked out of meetings and failing to run for school board. These are people who are seeing the value in kicking up some kind of disturbance at a meeting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and this was like during a time where school board meeting disruptions were very popular. There was a lot of like far right influencers trying to convince their followers to run for school boards. This was kind of a very particular cultural moment in like twenty twenty two to twenty twenty three.
Speaker 7: So they show up to this meeting to support Massano. Doesn't go well. One of the guys throws a Hitler salute. People react angrily, there's a bit of a scuffle, It devolves, and the council ends up going into recess and clearing the chambers entirely. Everybody has to leave. You just can't be in here too much yelling. Everybody's mad nobody gets arrested, but everybody has to leave, and the council ended up continuing the meeting without the public's presence. So I think there was a hearing that night on an ordinance involving homelessness that people had showed up to speak on and they weren't allowed to do that. Now council continues their business, but nobody can be there. And Patera's alliance with Masano didn't last. They actually butted heads almost immediately over optics. Massano preferred to make his long winded speeches that at least in his mind, were more palatable to the listener and might more effectively spread his message and potentially red pill the listeners. Who's actually angry that Potero's troll forward tactic of just shouting slurs and obscenities was actually resulting in avenues for public comment being closed off. In September of twenty twenty three, he wrote, either out of ignorance or deliberate sabotage, the GDL has no idea what they're doing. So he was mad right because he was doing this thing where every week he was showing up Megan's comment and because of the different strategy of disruption that was getting harder for him. Masano, for his part, continues his one man battle against the Sacramento City Council. He's still doing that. Oh, okay, He's a lone wolf out there in Sacramento. But Petero saw the potential and trolling on a larger scale, okay, almost immediately, he branched out. Over the next few months, it developed into an organized trolling machine, targeting meetings across the country, covering at least seventeen states, from Alaska to Maine, Idaho, Wyoming, Georgia, Virginia. They're all over the place, often hitting the same city repeatedly, and in some cases showing up in person with flyers or banners, either before or after the zoom bombing. After targeting meetings in the city of Walnut Creek, California, the group hung a racist banner in the area. Councilor Kevin Wilk commented on the banner in the press, and the following week the meeting was hit again, with members specifically addressing Wilk, the locality's first Jewish city councilor, asking him how he liked it. In a later stream, Potero laughed about that personalized follow up saying that pissed him off, so I had to.
Speaker 8: Rub it in.
Speaker 7: After targeting the city of Wooster, Massachusetts, the group didn't just flyer. They mailed homophobic materials to the homes of several councilors, including two nuen, the state's first openly non binary elected official. And it isn't even just regular city council meetings. Some of the targeted meetings are incredibly boring governmental bodies like the Morristown, New Jersey Board.
Speaker 8: Of Zoning Appeals.
Speaker 4: Oh wow.
Speaker 7: When PETERO posted a clip of their racist calls into that meeting, a group member posted the board chairs home address and the replies.
Speaker 8: They've also and this doesn't even fit the pattern. I think they just got the bug.
Speaker 7: But they've posted several composition videos of the group disrupting AA meetings.
Speaker 4: All right, that's interesting.
Speaker 9: I think that.
Speaker 7: I think they just got into the idea of making praying phone calls. So they target addiction support groups, often geared towards members of the LGBTQ community.
Speaker 4: So okay, all right, yeah, just.
Speaker 7: Doing like homophobic attacks on people who are trying to get sober.
Speaker 4: Huh.
Speaker 3: They're just like finding any any meeting they can and just spamming this thing.
Speaker 8: I don't know that they have other hobbies.
Speaker 3: Yes, this seems like a lot of time between keeping up on zoning board meetings and whatever local AA call in there is. It seems seems to be a bit uh childish and time consuming, right.
Speaker 7: I mean this is it takes a lot of time, and Potero is pretty clear about that. You know, he runs these online spaces where he's organizing. He's you know, making lists of meetings that they should check out. He's complaining about how, you know, sometimes you have to wait for hours while they're just doing like regular government stuff. You have to just like wait for it to be your turnity all the N word. It's time consuming.
Speaker 4: Do you know what isn't time consuming?
Speaker 7: Spending your harder in cash on the products and services that support this show.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 3: We make it fast, easy and reliable by listening to these products and services. Okay, we are back talking about the Goyam Defense League, the GDL. So we were just discussing how they were spending a lot of time disrupting a lot of meetings with their little call in campaign.
Speaker 7: Right, and it's tempting to dismiss this behavior as Oh, it's just trolling, right, they're just trolls.
Speaker 8: Sure, it's like this is so juvenile.
Speaker 4: How bad can it be? It's just people calling in, right, But.
Speaker 7: This has real world consequences, and they know that. They revel in the reactions to their behavior. They're fully aware of and celebrate the destruction that it leaves in its wake. When the city of Portland suspended virtual public comment, commenters in the group called it a big effing win when there's other media coverage of cities who have limited or even ended public comment altogether. The headlines are posted triumphantly in the group, often captured only with loll comments like the calls will continue until the Jews leave and shut it down for the win and never let them regroup arrest no comfort given literal the replies to posts about city after city ceding ground to this harassment.
Speaker 3: So it's not just causing little inconveniences, it is actually shutting down city's ability to hold public comment and for the public to actually speak on issues that are affecting them and their city.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 7: So, there have been meetings that, you know, when this occurs, the meeting itself, that particular meeting just ends everyone just leaves because they can't continue, or you know, the meeting does continue, but they stop taking public comment, or they change their policies and procedures to limit public comment moving forward. So this is having real effects that are you know, living on in these cities even after they moved on. Group members suggest using burner phones and fake number generators to avoid being caught or blocked. Potero has written online that he's been quote banned on multiple devices, but I have some tactics to prevent them from stopping me. Patero noted on a recent stream that the ADL's estimate of over one hundred and thirty disruptions is short changing them, insisting they've done at least three times that many, sometimes hitting dozens of meetings per week, and they're not just doing it right. It's not just the act of doing it that is the thrill to them. They then cut the clips and then post them online for everyone to enjoy. They're cutting promos and making highlight reels of their favorite moments. There are compilations grouped by genre of hate right. There's videos combining all the best moments of homophobia, all the best moments of anti semitism. There are these promo videos set to that sort of ugly electronic fash wave music that they all love so much?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 7: The promo videos have titles like this is our meeting now or We're jacking your shit.
Speaker 3: So these are being shared on like bitchu and Odyssey and Telegram.
Speaker 7: I'm guessing yeah, they're they're you know, GDL, they're on They're on every platform that's opened to people like them, right, okay, and following that GDL model, right, they're they're posting these these videos and getting money. They're accepting donations to continue doing this. And then on the anniversary of Kristall Knocked, they targeted a planning commission in the Crescent City, California, entitled the video CCDs goes Chrystall Knocked on Crescent City. Right, So it's it's just a joke, right, They're not really doing Christall Knocked, but they're using the language of this sort of genocidal violence.
Speaker 3: And it's like monetized. They're like making money off of it.
Speaker 7: They are making those donos, as they say it. After a recent ADL article about the operation, Patero posted, fuck the ADL, We'll give those caselers something to covetch about in twenty twenty four, and his wife Haley reposted that, adding you think he's playing.
Speaker 8: He lives for this. Yes, they don't work, They really do live for this.
Speaker 3: It does sound like this is like the most important thing happening in their life, which is one quite sad. That also shows that they have a lot of time to dedicate to pulling off stuff like this.
Speaker 8: Time that they should be dedicating to parenting.
Speaker 3: Honestly, well, I don't know if you want them around their kids. Honestly, the more time they spend away from their children is probably better.
Speaker 8: God damn.
Speaker 7: During the zoo bombing in October, an official in Saucelito, California, voice support for just cutting off the calls over objections from other members of council that this could get them sued, saying he would quote take the lawsuit if these people can even get organized enough to sue us. And while the group has made no progress on actually filing any legal action there or anywhere else, they haven't forgotten it. Just last week the group expressed an interest in seeking some kind of retribution for that comment, saying they may need a little visit, and the group is raising money to start traveling to meetings in person. Fundraiser on the platform of choice for right wing extremists, give Send Go, has already raised one thousand dollars in donations to fund travel and lodging for the group members to travel to city council meetings for in person disruptions. On their weekly live streams, Viewers can donate directly in the stream. On the stream, Potero thanks viewers for donations, often in the amount of fourteen dollars and eighty eight cents.
Speaker 4: Hey yeah, that makes sense.
Speaker 8: Oh yeah.
Speaker 7: They they live for the memes, reminding them that every donation goes directly towards funding their IRL activism, getting them offline and inter real life traveling around the country to engage in racial harassment in person. He also says the donations fund a side project called postcard Waffen.
Speaker 4: The nota SEENI way wait wait wait.
Speaker 3: Wait wait wait wait say that one bird time, just a little slower postcard waffen.
Speaker 4: They love to add postcard waffen.
Speaker 8: They love to add waffen to things. Right, that's just the German word for weapon.
Speaker 7: So this this is weaponized mailings, and this is the nickname they've given to the work of mailing hateful materials directly to the homes of the elected officials who preside over the meetings they disrupt. This seems like a sort of targeted harassment kind of campaign.
Speaker 3: Sure, target harassment, intimidation. There's some with the other like mentions. You know, it's like veiled threats. These types of neo Nazis are not averse to actually doing violence on people. So yeah, there's there's like a a pleasant threat implied with these with this, with this sort of rhetoric and activity.
Speaker 7: And because the decentralized nature of the GDL, and I think this is something we can talk about in a later episode about kind of what they're up to these days. Is they don't have communication with or control over all of the people who are consuming this content, So they may not plan to follow up with these people in a manner that would be criminal, but they're encouraging people to think that that's an option and that sure has ramifications. Sure, So this isn't just annoying prank calls. It's an organized effort to ruin local democracy, to make meetings unproductive and unbearable, to intimidate and humiliate local government employees, and elected officials to make your city council chambers and intimidating an uncomfortable place for you, closing off that avenue for you to address and engage with your local government, and to take away options for actually engaging with local government by forcing cities to limit public comment. And we can't seed that ground to them.
Speaker 3: Ah man, that is I mean, I don't know. There's just been so many instances with city council meetings and various other kind of these big public forms, especially school board meetings, where like they are like discussing extremely important stuff around like trans people and forming policies that impact people. And I know a lot of people do actually end up going out to these and talking about their experiences and why proposed laws or ordinances would be so harmful, and just removing that option, whether or not you believe in like the electoral process TM, removing that option from people to actually speak on their own experiences does have like real consequences.
Speaker 7: Even if even if you're not a big believer in it being a meaningful political action to engage with your local government. I think we can all agree that it's not okay for Nazis to make it unsafe for anyone to do that. Yeah, you know who won't seed ground to the nazis trying to take over your local school board.
Speaker 3: The products and services sets, the forth this podcast, I hope. So it depends capitalism is u is quite strong.
Speaker 4: But we'll see how this develops.
Speaker 3: Okay, we are back. So this is this is kind of depressing, Molly.
Speaker 4: What what? Uh huh ah?
Speaker 8: What is to be done?
Speaker 4: What is to be done?
Speaker 8: Garrisoned?
Speaker 7: Yes, So unfortunately a lot of the obvious solutions here are bad ones.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 7: The response that a lot of cities have had is that, well, they're just going to eliminate remote public comment altogether.
Speaker 8: You just can't participate remotely anymore, which.
Speaker 3: Hurts people who are like disabled, hurts people who have tough things with scheduling, parents, people who work at certain hours.
Speaker 7: Yeah yeah, yeah, like most people can't spend six hours sitting at city hall on a Monday night.
Speaker 8: Most people can't.
Speaker 7: And so having remote participation was really it opened up local democracy to people with all kinds of life situations, right, And that's what happened here in my own city of Charlottesville. CCDs targeted us last October, and in response, the mayor eliminated remote participation in all meetings. We didn't get to revisit that. That's just how it works now. So they've moved on. But now my entire city of over fifty thousand people lives with the consequences of that action, and we're left with a less accessible local democracy. They'd rather prevent anyone from calling in than have to deal with deciding whether they can do anything about it when someone abuses that process. And there's some really basic steps that cities can take right off the bat, like without even overthinking it or getting into the legal complications of the First Amendment. Cities like Lin would Walkhington responded to their CCDA zoom bombing by adding a few basic layers of security to their virtual meetings, like requiring commenters to sign up the day before. So this group is organized in a private telegram chat, and so like one person gets into a meeting and just drops the link into the chat, and so everyone just clicks that link. But if you make it so everyone has to have a unique sign in link that they signed up for with a real email address the day prior, that makes a little bit harder to.
Speaker 8: Coordinate a dog pile.
Speaker 7: Sure you know it isn't hard to make a fake or temporary email address to sign up to get the link. But if sometimes just adding one extra step is discouraging enough that they'll pick somebody else this week. But this behavior is escalating, right, and making it a little bit harder to get into the zoom isn't going to solve the problem.
Speaker 8: It's going to keep happening.
Speaker 7: And you can only make a public meeting so secure without actually locking out the public. Elected officials are understandably concerned about the legal ramifications of dealing with these kinds of calls. With some exceptions, they can't prevent someone from speaking based only on the content of the speech. I actually found a two thousand and six letter. I guess in two thousand and six, the LA City Council asked their city attorney. I need to do a little research on what was going on in two thousand and six in La. But the LA City Council asked the city attorney, can we make a rule that people can't say racial slurs in here?
Speaker 3: Which seems like an okay rule, like I don't know.
Speaker 7: The answer was no, Legally, you can't limit speech based on its content, right, because these are public forums put on by the government. I mean, it's what's called a designated public forum, but we don't. They can't limit speech based on its content, right, But what they can do is have rules of decorum. Their city attorney pulled some language directly from a Ninth Circuit Court opinion that's in California, So it's a federal Court of appeals that covers that part of California. White versus City of Norwalk, and that decision upheld a city ordinance that authorized the legislative body to remove individuals who uttered quote personal, impertinent, slanderous, or profane remarks if the remarks disrupted, disturbed, or otherwise impeded the conduct of the meeting. So it's not just that your remarks were nasty, it's that your behavior was disruptive. The way that these remarks were delivered was interfering with the conduct of the meeting. So the meeting is disrupted because council is prevented from accomplishing its business in a reasonably efficient manner. The court further wrote, indeed, such conduct may interfere with the rights of other speakers, and that's what's happening here, right that these disruptions are not only not your right. You don't have a right to disrupt the meeting, but that behavior also fundamentally infringes on everyone else's rights to have the meeting. It keeps the meeting from being conducted, and it's interfering with the conduct of the government's business. So if they open a public forum, anyone can speak in the public forum, and you can't cut them off because of the content.
Speaker 8: Of their speech.
Speaker 7: But that doesn't mean there's no legal way to put limits on public comment. If the rule is content neutral and serves a legitimate government interest, the government can pose some restrictions on your speech, right like requiring a permit for a parade is a limit on speech, or saying you can't yell in a courtroom is a limit on your speech. But it's not a violation of your First Amendment rights to say you can't disrupt a trial. But more importantly, and the risk of getting too boring, right, like a meeting is not a sidewalk there is. This is not just any public place where you're speaking. This is a meeting where business is being conductive. There's a legitimate and compelling government interest in the ability to conduct the meeting, and so the rules that they can make in this space can vary state by state. You know, some states do or don't allow you to limit speakers to residents, or they can or can't limit the topics that are Germane. So it's going to vary a little bit. But the courts have repeatedly upheld, not just in the Norwalk case, the ability of a council to adopt a content neutral rule and use that rule to cut off or remove speakers who are disruptive. And honestly, I have to say, I think any city attorney worth assault knows this. This is day one stuff. If your whole job, well not your whole job, but your job on Monday nights whenever the meeting is, is to provide legal advice to a city council on how they're conducting their business. You know this because disruptive behavior during a meeting isn't some brand new phenomenon. But it's kind of remarkable. What I watched like a hundred clips of this happening right and over and over and over again.
Speaker 8: You see these city attorneys saying.
Speaker 7: Like, oh, we're powerless here, we're powerless here. We don't want to get sued, there's nothing we can do, and that's not true, and they know that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I've seen people get escorted out of chambers for being disruptive in city council meetings before. Like they it happens relatively frequently. It's not like an uncommon, brand new occurrence.
Speaker 7: Right, I mean, I've seen that discretion applied appropriately and fascistically.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 7: Absolutely, it happens, but over and over and over again in these situations, you see these city attorneys, the city councils saying.
Speaker 8: Like, I guess we just have to let them do it.
Speaker 7: A commenter in one of the Sacramento meetings from last summer actually pointed out that, you know, she was saying to her city council, you had no hesitation removing black members of the public from this room when they were angry that your cops murdered Stefan Clark. So why are you so nervous about infringing on the free speech rights of literal Nazis? Like someone who's just in here screaming the N word? Why is that worthy of more breathing room and something? You know, as a resident of the city of Charlottesville who watches our local government pretty carefully. Something we've found over and over again here is that if fear of litigation is your starting point for making decisions on how to govern, you're going to make cowardly, dangerous, stupid decisions every time, and you're probably gonna get sued anyway. So make the choice to protect people. Get good legal advice. Sure, consult with your city attorney, Consult the case law.
Speaker 8: Don't be reckless.
Speaker 7: But if you're faced with the opportunity to make a decision that text people, a decision that serves the public good, a decision that aligns with the values you claim to hold, but might result in someone filing a lawsuit against you that they're not going to win anyway, don't err on the side of shielding yourself from nuisance litigation at the expense of the public.
Speaker 8: Don't just look at us in shrug. Your hands are not tied here.
Speaker 7: And if you're not comfortable making that kind of decision, get off the diis. I mean, I'm not a city attorney, but that would be my advice, right, And so again, I think the bottom line here is that we can't seed this ground. The end result here can't be well local government just isn't a place where we can safely and meaningfully engage with elected officials on the issues that matter. Right, that can't be the answer here. Don't wait until this is happening where you live to react to this, right like it could happen here. It is happening in a lot of places. You know, if you're inclined to do so, you know, show up, engage, speak your mind on local issues. Don't wait for your city hall to become a battleground to show up to counter right wing inflows. Right like, don't just react to reactionaries. Stake out that ground now, that's our space. Right, make it clear that people are engaged and that they insist on their right to engage, so that your city council can't say, well, people aren't really making public comments anyway, we just won't have it. And let make sure that they know that you will not accept the death of local democracy at the hands of some Weasley paradox of tolerance bullshit about letting Nazis dominate our spaces.
Speaker 3: I know there's been other people who've been like talking about and pointing out these instances of GDL zoom bombing and shutting down these meetings, But there certainly has been less discussion of this being a deliberate tactic that GDL is doing specifically to actually like shutting down the democratic process, like it has been so focused on, just like the trolling and the spreading of anti Semitic rhetoric, which are big problems, but I think there's been a little bit less of a focus on the actually looking at this as a deliberate tactic being employed to remove people's ability to engage democratically in the city or school board or wherever they live. And I think viewing it as a deliberate tactic like that like you've been talking about, but both gets like a better look at how these neo Nazis are trying to organize. But also it's a more holistic approach towards why is this happening, And it can allow you to look at this as more of a tactical decision less than just kind of random trolling slurs XD, which it can be kind of reduced to, which is at the very least incomplete way of looking at this phenomenon, if not just kind of wholly inaccurate.
Speaker 7: I mean, I don't want to give them too much credit, right like they didn't have a brainstorming session where they were thinking about ways to contribute to the death of democracy.
Speaker 8: I think that's sort of a phenomenon.
Speaker 7: That occurred as a result of their actions that they then saw and appreciated. Right They don't understand it, but I don't think they intended it from the outset. But at this point it's hard to deny that that is something they're doing on purpose.
Speaker 3: And that's just been an interesting trend with the GDL specifically, especially considering the legislation trying to crack down on political flying, which we might talk about at a later date. But yeah, it's been a interesting watching the GDLs as political FORCET, yes, is like annoying and bad in the rhetoric they spread, but also they've had this interesting ability to just either affect legislation or like shut down people's ability to engage with politics in their local area in a few notable ways.
Speaker 7: So it's important to sort of sit for a minute before you react to people like this, Right, Like you were talking about that legislation that's going to end up infringing on a lot of people's political speech, right, Like, you can't just react to the troll. You have to sort of think about the context in which this is occurring and make a reasonable choice about how to react so you don't end up giving them what they want basically right, because they love the attention.
Speaker 8: They love the attention.
Speaker 7: Every time they do this, it ends up on the local news. People are talking about it, people are repeating their message, and you don't need to give them that.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you Molly for putting this together. This has been very enlightening, if slightly upsetting, but that is kind of it's kind that's kind of the entire bit we do here. That's sort of the show. Huh. Where can people find your work online?
Speaker 7: You can find me on Twitter. I will never call it x socialist dog mom. And in keeping with the spirit of this episode, most of what I use my Twitter account for is live tweeting my local city government meetings. I've been doing that for god seven years now, so this is a subject that's near and dear to my heart. I love engaging with municipal government.
Speaker 4: Fantastic.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've attended more city council meetings the last year than I have ever before in my life. It has certainly been an experience a lot of wacky, wacky and unusual things happen in city council meetings.
Speaker 7: Thank you Garrison so much for joining me today, and hopefully we can bring listeners something even worse someday soon.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, stay tuned for more breaking Goham Defense League news find Dark.
Speaker 4: Hey everyone, this is it could happen here and I'm your guest host, Matt Leeb. I'd say most of you probably know me from Robert and Sophie's podcast Behind the Bastards, which you know I've become kind of notorious for the time that I use a jar Jar Bank soundboard during a series about doctor Mangela. Yeah, I don't have that soundboard with me today. Sorry. Fewer of you might know me from having the world's only Sopranos Slash the Wire rewatch podcast pod Yourself a Gun. But the fewest of you might know me from my brand new podcast, Bad Hasbara, the world's most moral podcast, in which me and some of my other anti Zionist or non Zionist Jewish friends and our other friends and our other guests guests who you know you've maybe heard, like Charine here, we have casual conversations about Israeli propaganda and Israeli propagandists. For some of you, this might be your first time hearing the word has bara, and that's why the homies at cool Zone Media invited me here today. So this episode is all about has balalah aka Israel's public relations and propaganda machine, and I am thrilled to be joined by my friend and one time cat sitter, churene Uness Hi Scheren.
Speaker 9: Hi, Matt. What an intro. Yeah, I'm excited to learn more about this. Actually, also excited to know how you properly say hasbara, because I don't know I say it right.
Speaker 4: But lah, Yeah, it's yeah, that's I mean, sound in the yeah, the law, you know, within with the throat has bah.
Speaker 9: You heard it here first.
Speaker 4: Yes, you heard it here first. I'm not I'm not the greatest at doing you know, Israeli accents or whatnot. So throughout this podcast, I'm probably going to be butchering a lot of Hebrew words. Uh and uh you know, just you're just gonna have to deal with it.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and that's totally fine. That's just part of the game. I've pronounced every every name I've ever said on this.
Speaker 4: Show, So yeah, yeah, I mean you should hear me trying to pronounce Arabic names like I can't do it. It's I mean, I attempt, Yes, that would if there's any that happened in this episode, please, But before we get into talking about has Bah blah, I want to start with a quick story, Sarin. Are you familiar with the Birthright Trip?
Speaker 9: Yes, I am.
Speaker 4: It was one of those things where I was very excited to one day do the Birthright Trip and I didn't really even question. I knew, like you know, it was a little bit, you know, they were trying to whine and dine me to go there and you know, maybe move or whatnot. But I didn't know how much they wanted me to move there until I went. So for me, my Birthright trip is kind of why I'm here today talking about Hasbara. It's why I started a freaking podcast about it. It's when I first started clocking Israeli propaganda. So I went in January twenty twelve. If you don't know Birthright, it's pretty much a two weeks, all expenses paid trip for young Jews from all over the world to go to the Holy Land, reconnect with their Jewish roots, float in the dead seat. It is a it is a propaganda tour of apartheid state. And you know, I'm not going to get too much into the history of Birthright, you know and all the like far right wing funders like Sheldon Adelson and stuff. There's like not enough time for that. But I'm mentioning it because it was the first time I saw how hasbara was more than just propaganda, and how in my opinion, it more closely resembles like indoctrination, and the organizers at Birthright did like a masterful job of this. Like I went on a trip of American Jews who were like me, like they were like secular from mixed or like intermarried families, non bar mitzvud. It was all like other Matt Leib type Jews, like ethnic Jews, right, And I realized this. I think it was like day two of the trip. One of the Israeli tour guides literally gave us a bar mitzvah, like all at the same time we had a group bar mitzvah. Yeah, And they did it by saying like Okay, well now bab mitzvah. It just means you're a man. Now, everyone here is a man. Now, choose an Israeli name, and which was like for me, I remember feeling a little you know, I was like, wait, there's supposed to be a theme party and fucking like yeah, I supposed to yeah, DJ, my dad's gonna buy me a car, or at least me a like a Honda, Like I thought it was more than that, at the very least I thought I would have to like memorize a tour portion. But no, you just go to Israel and you know, a tour guy does it for you, so like it really works though, like you really you go there being like, you know, I'm European Jew, and you leave this and you're like I invented falafel. So the Hasbara highlight of the trip for me was this like mega like birthright mega event. It was in Jerusalem and a huge arena in which they had like Israeli speakers, donors, rappers, and there was like a there were rappers at one point who just started rapping about things that they claim Israel invented, like iPhone, computer chips and like the cherry tomato, which was you know, like you And by the way, a not insubstantial amount of the trip was spent telling us about how Israel invented the cherry tomato. Like we went to places like you know, farms and stuff where they showed us this like drip irrigation. Multiple people were just like, man, we invented the cherry tomato. Here can you believe it? And I was like, this seems like a lot of effort for just this one particular thing, which may or may not be true. But yeah, So the headliner of the mega event of that night, the cherry tomato on top, if you will, was a speech by none other than Prime Minister Benjamin Bibi Netanyahu. Straight up, the Prime Minister of Israel was the headline speaker of this birthright event and an arena filled with like twenty thousand teens and like early twenty somethings, which was kind of like amazing, Like you know, listen, here's the thing I knew Benjamin netnya who like I knew enough about Israeli politics to know that, like he was a fucking right winger and bad. But like I have to admit, even I, you know, as a twenty six year old who kind of was starting to get like woke on Palestine, you know, so to speak, Like even I was like kind of like, whoa this is. I'm a little charmed, a little honored to see the Prime minister here. He took time out of his busy schedule of doing crimes, probably to address us. And you know, I actually found the speech of that night. I actually have some clips from it that I want to play.
Speaker 9: That is incredible, that's great.
Speaker 4: So yeah, he was, he was like casual, he was off the cuff.
Speaker 6: They wrote a speech for me. I'm not going to read it.
Speaker 4: Like he even did a little bit of crowd work.
Speaker 6: Anyone here named Rachel.
Speaker 4: So that right there is what we in the Jewish community call rachel profiling. That's when you just star in front of a group of Jews and you ask whose name to Rachel. Shout out to Rachel Blumenthal for telling me that joke. In college. It was it was like a crash course in Hesbara. Like he told us we were from Israel at one point.
Speaker 6: You all come from great countries, great countries. Did you all come from here? All of you? That's your birthright?
Speaker 4: He was telling us that. Like you know, once again, it was everything they invented, phone, you know, the cell phone, ships, blah blah blah. He was telling us to make aliat to Israel, which means to you know, move to return, to come back. You know. Essentially what he was vying for was like move to Israel and start a family. It's very like sex based, like the way it works. The big thing I took away was him telling us that he wanted us to go back home and tell people the truth about Israel.
Speaker 6: But the most important battle that we have to find is the battle for the truth. And all of you can become ambassadors for the truth and ambassadors for Israel.
Speaker 4: And of course you know, he then proceeded to tell us what the truth about Israel was.
Speaker 6: Go back your respective countries and tell the truth about Israel. Only way to fight a lives who tell the truth. Tell him about a country where people are free, free to initiate, free to work, free to speak. It's a country where you can criticize the Prime Minister although he never makes mistakes. This is a country which has in which Arabs have full right something they've been denied in all the vast lands around us. And a woman in this country can sit anywhere she wants. That's our position. This is a free country.
Speaker 4: So him going up there telling me that what he wants from me is to go back home and be an ambassador for Israel and tell the truth about Israel. You know, it was the first time I realized that he was giving me a job to do. And this is a job that I think a lot of Jewish people who may be listening to this podcast can relate to the job of telling the truth about Israel and the job of you know, stopping the slander that is out there about Israel in the media and on the internet and press and all that stuff. And it was the first time I realized that, like, oh, part of the hasbara isn't just you know, some government thing. It's like my job. My job is to is to tell the truth. And he said something in that clip, the only way to fight allies with the truth. And so I am going to follow his advice. That's what I'm going to do, Shreen. I'm going to tell people the truth about Israel. And I think it's time to do it. So let's get into it. Let's talk about the truth. Let's get into talking about hasbara. What is it? What is it? And so loosely, hasbara is it's a modern Hebrew word derived from the word las bier hasbier meaning to explain or explanation. I say loosely because it's kind of a made up word. So, you know, a lot of words in modern Hebrew are sort of made up words. Remember, Hebrew is like an ancient liturgical language, and modern Hebrew was created by like Jewish linguist nerds who wanted to revive the language to be a spoken one, and that's how you got modern Hebrew, which is fine, there's nothing wrong with reviving a dead language. But because of that, a lot of the words in modern Hebrew are kind of inventions. So, according to Mosaic Magazine, has bara is strictly a twentieth centuryism. You won't find it in Eliezer Benu Huda's a monumental Complete Dictionary of Ancient and Modern Hebrew, whose second volume, in which Hasbara appears only as the first word of hasbarat Panim, was published in nineteen oh two. So it's not something that you see in kind of like the original beginnings of you know, the creation of modern Hebrew. Like colloquially, hisbara like refers to like media pr branding, mud slinging. It's kind of a like a sort of like catch all term for general propaganda used to create a narrative based on Israeli government talking points meant for a foreign, usually American or just generally Western audience. People who deal in hasbara are called has barists has baristas, which is fun's that's true. Yeah, yeah, I mean listen, has barista, I think gives gives it a little bit more flair. You know, kind of imagine someone kind of like making you coffee, but instead of coffee, it's they make you lies.
Speaker 9: Nope, I'm not gonna do that.
Speaker 10: Sorry, I like it. I wish I never was born. Okay, Well, so there's all sorts of like has bars. Like some of them have like official positions within the Israeli government, such as the head of the IDF Spokesperson's unit, Daniel Hagari, who you might remember is the guy from that video taken at the you know, the children's hospital, you know, in Gaza, and he's like pointing at what he thought was a list of his Israeli hostages, but was like literally just a calendar didn't have any names. It was just he was pointing at days of the week thinking they were names, because that's what a calendar has. And also it's so fucking weird that they can't read Arabic, Like, yeah, you're in the Middle East, you are the spokesperson.
Speaker 9: I think something interesting about how Hebrew was revived as well is that a lot of words were taken from Arabic. A lot of words are very similar to Arabic. So it's like even more funny that they would they can't even read the language that they kind of took a lot of words from.
Speaker 4: But I'm saying that, like, yeah, in Israel, it's almost like the appropriation is just part of the process of the cleansing, you know, just like stealing something, saying it's ours and then not even being able to identify an Arabic word that you yourself say so, yeah, so there's him. Then there's like everyone if you've been on Twitter, you've seen a lot of Alon Levy who he's His official title is the official Israeli government spokesperson, and that's through the basically the office of the Prime Minister. He's a British guy, like he raises his eyebrows. It's like the meme, you know, like he goes like, oh, that's what he's famous for. Then there's a lot of these like non governmental like Israeli Civil Society, haspara organizations like Stand with Us or like a PAK, the Washington Institute for Near East Policy, the Anti Defamation League, Christians United for Israel, the Israel on Campus Coalition. I mean, there are tons of them, tons of them. And then of course there's people who are just in it for the love of the game, like celebrities, artists, you know, actors, you know, who make like Israel public advocacy part of their thing. It's a fascinating world filled with ghouls and goblins. So the word his bara itself, interestingly is hasbara. So early Zionists had no problem calling their pr campaigns and like they're branding for a Jewish state and Palestine propaganda. They would say, it's we got to do propaganda, because in the early twentieth twentieth century, the term was generally considered to be neutral, like people said they were doing propaganda when they were doing propaganda. Once the word became a pejorative, they created the word has borrow, which is a nicer sounding word with more neutral connotations. And although it's now used as a pejorative by critics of Israel and me and stuff, the word is still used to this day in Israel. It is still a fairly neutral sounding word. There are has Borrow workshops sponsored by Israel. They have has Barra Fellowships. That's the name of the fellowship. Like you can get merch that says has bar A Fellowship on it. And the reason is because it doesn't translate. The word isn't translate to propaganda. It just means to explain, which is you know, seems innocent enough. It's not about doing propaganda. It's not about they don't call themselves liars. They're not saying I'm going to lie. They say they're merely just explaining. And I found this speech from the Middle East Policy Council that goes into depth about what has Bar is beyond. Just like propaganda, quote has Bar links information warfare to the strategic efforts of the state to bolster the unity of the home front, ensure the support of allies, disrupt efforts to organize hostile coalitions, determine the way issues are defined by the media, the intelligentsia, the social networks. Established parameters of politically correct discourse, de legitimize both critics and their arguments, and shape the common understanding and interpretation of the results of international negotiations. So behind this term is a large, well funded information warfare apparatus dedicated to shaping Israeli discourse in the media and the government and academic insutions everywhere. And they use all of the tools in their toolbox to silence criticism of Israel, and what they can't silence, they soften. Sometimes it's through coordinated letter writing campaigns. Sometimes it's harassment. Sometimes it's dosing. You know, people have been docked. So before I continue, I want to address that uncomfortable feeling you had when I talked about like Israel and the media. I want to say that is that is not to say that Israel or the Israel Lobby or Zionists quote control the media, all right, So they do not. That's why hasbara exists, you know, That's why the Israel lobby exists. If they controlled the media, they wouldn't have groups like Camera, for example, constantly day in and day out, harassing the New York Times and CNN and PBS to get them to talk about Israel correctly. Okay, So it's important when people hear these criticisms of Israel that they don't try to see them as like otherizing Israel or like you know a lot of people, they get uncomfortable because a lot of these things will match old anti Semitic tropes. But it's important to remember that these lobbying groups exist in Israel. They exist in the gun lobby, in the big oil lobby. This is not unique to Israel. The unique thing about it is how willing the American public is and the West in general is to letting themselves be live to That's why I'm interested in it. But let's talk about Camera real quick, because this is a recent thing that happened. Some news happened recently about the New York Times and their connection to CAMERA. This is from a recent article in The Intercept. The Committee for Accuracy in Middle East Reporting and Analysis, or CAMERA, was founded in nineteen eighty two in response to what it claims was anti Israel bias in the Washington Post reporting on the Israeli invasion of Lebanon. Since its inception, CAMERA has successfully lobbied for hundreds of corrections in major media outlets seeking to streamline a pro Israel line in news reports and editorials. It is mere journalists whose work it disagrees with and launched boycott campaigns against news organizations it believes are not responding with enough deference to its requests. So the way this group operates is that they go through any and every article about Israel, looking for sentences, looking for terms, definitions, anything they disagree with, and lobby for corrections to be issued. Camera doesn't do this quietly. They openly brag about it on their website. Like recently, Camera successfully lobbied The New York Times to issue a correction removing the word occupation from an article, and they wrote this on their website. Quote the ask slipped for their New York Times reporters Kum Hamas stenographers this week when they absolutely neglected to done down Hamas's preferred language before passing off the terror organization's talking points as original reporting. Take notice of the framing of The New York Times and their mask slipping and their reporters as being stenographers for Hamas. This is like quite the accusation, given that The New York Times is like has and continues to have coverage described as biased in favor of Israel Like. According to an Intercept analysis, it was found that in the first six weeks of the war, New York Times consistently delegitimized Palestinian deaths and cultivated a gross imbalance in coverage to pro Israeli sources and voices. So the exact opposite of what Camera is claiming is the truth here. You know, this is this is actually a famous hes bar A tactic. It is the I am rubber, you are glue tactic. And it's really something to see it in action, Like I don't know, suring if you've seen how often you've like read some pro Israeli voices, you know, has Baris online and heard them say stuff that you're like, I know for a fact, the exact opposite of this thing is true, you know what I mean?
Speaker 9: Yeah, every accusation is a confession. It feels like that is true all the time when it comes to the stuff. And also the intercept article is very good. I'll put in the description for those who to read the whole thing. I'm glad you mentioned that because I didn't know that much about Camera until I read that article, and I was just like, what, like, of course I knew that that was a thing that was that was done like they would change words. Recently, The New York Times was like a decline of death or life. Like they use the word decline to describe.
Speaker 4: To describe what was happening in Gaza. They decided the articles headline was going to be like death's actually declining in.
Speaker 9: Gaza exactly, and like the standard ones are always there, like blast or conflict or whatever it is. Those are unfortunately so normal now. But to see it all laid out by the Intersect was really I'm really glad I did that article so it will be in the description, and I'm glad you mentioned it. But it does go back to the idea that every accusation is a confession. I think that's something to remember every time you see a headline.
Speaker 4: It's true, and it's something that you know. It's almost become a cliche online because I've seen it so many times people saying that, and I think it's important to remember that this is sort of the tactic of hesbara. Like what makes hesbara particularly notable and like often hilarious is that it doesn't merely just spin narratives, but it inverts them to essentially make like an alternate reality. It's not just that has bara is information warfare. Has Bara is straight up info wars like Alex Jones level shit the same way. Alex Jones will run the same like fantastical paranoid thread to every major news event that happens in order to reinforce his worldview and prove that he's right and everyone else is wrong. You know, Like that's Israel does this, but with like far more money and far greater success, and it kind of makes sense why they're successful at it, Like Alex Jones Info Wars shit like praise on white Christian paranoia that like the Blacks are trying to take away our guns so they can make our children trans or whatever, like total fantasy in saying shit that you have to be like already far right wing to believe, well, like Israeli info Wars praise on a much more grounded in reality paranoia that of anti Semitism, Like anti Semitism, it's historical, it's evil, it's pervasive, it's pernicious. Like this kind of paranoia makes sense, and not just for Jews, but like for anyone of conscience, anyone who has empathy, you know, like that they understand anti Semitism is bad and needs to be fought, and that makes Hasbara very effective. You know, people want to support Israel because people want to support the Jewish people and they want to fight anti Semitism. And when the IDF dismantles a children's hospital and says we had to do it to stop Pomas. Look, here's a list of hostages. People want to believe them. It's like Molder from the X Files, like I want to believe, which is the same impulse as Alex Jones believers. Essentially, like you don't want Sandy Hook to be a possibility. You want it to be a conspiracy to take your guns away. You want those children to be secretly actors pretending to be dead. So like when Israel says we aren't killing children, we're killing hamas, people want to believe that.
Speaker 9: And yeah, let's just say hate that you compared Fox Mulder to the like you dragged him into this and I'll get over it.
Speaker 4: But I'm sorry to you know, to bring him into this conversation. But you know, I'm just saying, Molder, if he wants to believe that stuff, what else does he want to believe? You just hope, you really hope and pray that he's not going to fall for the hasbara, but he might know you really don't, and it's like, you know, it's his bar is effective because it gives you something like a nice, legitimate sounding explanation for why Israel needed to do something that you might usually think is bad. Like that's how it's worked for decades, in the same way that hesbara serves to explain things for you to basically take the Israeli government at its word, that's kind of how it works. It gives you a believable explanation and not only sounds like kind of real, but you know, conforms to your personal beliefs. And yeah, but speaking of personal beliefs, if there's one thing, oh, let's see if I can do this. If there's one thing I'd love to believe in, it's commerce. And so yes, I mean listen, people will have to make money somehow, so it looks like we have some products and services that we have to sell. And yeah, when they sell you these these products and services, please believe them when they say how good they are. And we are back. So we were talking about hespara and how you know, the explanations conform to your personal beliefs. The interesting thing about asbara is that they have different types of hespara for a wide range of personal beliefs. It's not one size fits all. It depends on who you are. There's a conservative version and there's a liberal version like Israel. Israel has been very successful and their ability to brand themselves is both a liberal democracy and a outpost for Western values fighting the Muslim hordes. Usually these strategies have been like pretty separated, right, you know, like you can't claim you can't do them at the same time, it'll sound weird. It's like Israel is the only gay friendly, climate conscious, feminist democracy and that's why we got to do genocide. Like that doesn't that doesn't sound right. Like you tell the city dwelling liberal elites about the gay stuff, you tell the conservative Christians about the Western civilization stuff. That's kind of how it works. The basic conservative hissbara doesn't actually interest me all that much because it's I don't know, they don't have to work that hard at getting conservatives to be okay with killing Muslims. You know, it's like Muslims Arabs, you know, they they're they're fully willing to You don't even have to like couch it in something.
Speaker 9: No, that's just what happens to us.
Speaker 4: That's it's fine, right, And it's interesting too because like this idea of of you know, being a Western outpost, an outpost for Western values is not like that is very much falling into the almost the whiteness thing of Europeans where you kind of like because Jews, like European Afy Semitism wasn't about how Jews had Western values. It was about how Jews represented this other, this this thing that you know, they don't they didn't share values. There were some weird other thing and you know, this was not the the charge of anti Semitism in Europe. And now with like Israeli propaganda towards you know that's aimed towards conservative Westerners, they're like, no, no, we're the most Western, like we're so Western that we're gonna be the ones who are on the front lines stopping the evil, you know, Arab ports. And yeah, but it's like the that's interesting, you know in some aspects, but it's the liberal stuff. Sureen liberal hasbara is where the lies get so wild, Like that's the stuff that I grew up with.
Speaker 9: You know, yeah, no, it really the pink washing in particular is like one of yes, it's just they're they're so egregious in their use of using like the gay struggle for their own agenda. It's really really gross.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it's and it's weird at how effective it is or how effective it has been for so long, because it is something that I think. I think it's kind of like the first stop on the Hasbaratri. You know, when you are hearing someone kind of like talking about why we need to stand with Israel, they will start right there with the you know, the pro gay rights stuff. And it's like, the reason I find it interesting is like Israel's so effectively been able to like brand itself as representing and supporting all these positive liberal traits. Well, well a lot of it is just not true. Like, for example, liberals are pro LGBT rights, right, you know, they they love gays, they love gay rights, and that's a good thing, of course, and yet gay marriage is illegal in Israel. It is illegal. It's also a mixed faith marriages are also illegal in Israel. They will recognize those marriages, but they will not perform them. You cannot get gay married, you cannot get interfaith married in Israel. If you're there performed abroad then and they will recognize them. That's kind of the loophole. Also, by the way, Palestinians from the West Bank or Gaza who Mariyan Israeli citizen cannot then get Israeli citizenship through that marriage. You also can't get Israeli citizenship if you marry in Israeli and you are from a quote enemy state that read Arab. If you want to know what the enemy states are, they mean Arabs. So you know, I don't know. Liberals should hate that. They should look at that and be like, well, I don't like that, you'd think, right. Another example, like liberals love democracy and they hate racism, yet believe Israel when they say they are a democracy, because they'll be like, we have you know, twenty percent Arab Muslim population, you know, two million and all with the right to vote. Meanwhile, they're like ignoring the five point three million Palestinians who are currently living in the West Bank and Gaza under military control by Israel. Like this is a situation was which has explicitly been called apartheid by most major human rights organizations, you know, human Rights Watch and it's the International, the International Federation for Human Rights, and even including Human Rights orgs in Israel, yesh Din and but sell them. They have all called this an apartheid state, and apartheid to you know, to be clear, is racist and I'm against it, yes, and I think most liberals would say they're against it. Don't you think sharam like something you would hope. So that's kind of like part of the thing with the liberal You're like, I don't like bad people, right, yeah, yeah, but you know it's it's once again, it's this thing where we're willing to be like, oh, they say they're a democracy, and therefore I believe it, and I think it's you know, you have to remember that like Israel's got like a caveat for all this stuff. It's usually they'll say, you know, their credentials are touted with this like in the Middle East, the most gay friendly in the Middle East, or the only democracy in the Middle East. But like, once again, that kind of only serves to implicitly condemn those enemy states you know, filled with Arabs, is being racist and backwards and homophobic and anti democratic and therefore unworthy of liberal sympathies. So it's you know, you liberals will look at it and they'll go like, well, I mean compared to Iraq, and you know they of course, it's like forgetting why the Middle East is the way the Middle East is. You know, they they will there's a complete like vacuum, like everything exists in a vacuum when it comes to American imperialism. So you don't but you just want to believe that Arabs are backwards people rather than looking at any kind of like Western imperial complicity.
Speaker 9: But also like reinforcing this like racist backwards stereotype also like dehumanizes Arabs and Muslims and Palestinians to such a degree where people can't overlook genocide. Now, you know, like it's all.
Speaker 4: Part of that, it's all part of that.
Speaker 9: Yes, they're different, they're not like us. They don't like gay people, they don't women stand up or whatever the fuck it is. It's just like it's it really is infuriating because you wonder, like how can this happen? It's because of little stuff like this that's not very little when it's all together, and it just reinforces this like barbaric trope, and then people just go on their go about their lives being okay with genocide because today these people are human anymore.
Speaker 4: Right, you look at this like as part of a pattern of like the delegitimization of the Arab being. In a way, it's like all of this is a pattern of like, what are things we can say about Arabs in order to make them so far from us that you just don't care if they live or die? Or more so you you more, you're more willing to believe that the people who are like us, the Israelis, are the ones telling the truth that they're you know, they're the ones who have the empathy. They're the ones who you know, let women you know, sit wherever they want, whatever the fuck that meant from BB's speech, But like, you know, they're more like me Arabs. I don't know them, and I guess, you know, if they say they're bad, they're bad. You know, it's it's just part of it. And I think what pisses me off about it is the liberal willingness to believe it. And I think it's like, I don't know, it's fascinating to me because especially right now, in the last you know, four months or so of this brutal incursion into Gaza, it's like so clearly illustrates why people on the left fucking hate liberals. You know, they're just so easy to manipulate if you know the right words. You know, like if it were any other group, if it were any other group instead of Jewish nation nationalists, like if it were Christian nationalists, they'd be like clearly condemning it, clearly. Like liberals have such a facile identity and race essentialism that they either excuse the crimes committed by the Jewish state because Israel asked them to do it and they want to be like good allies or whatever, or they ignore them because well, it's not my place to say I'm not Jewish. I feel like I should like, like they're just so squishy it like it. It kind of reveals the modern American liberal for what they are, which is like a tiny baby whose self perception is at the root of their ideology.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 4: And it's just it's important to remember that Europeans doing atrocities to indigenous populations has always come with the gift wrapping of these savages don't share our values. It's always been like that. So when you see an Israeli soldier flying a Pride flag in the rubble of a raised Palestinian city. Like just remember that's not liberation, that is regular ass by the book colonialism, same shit, you know what I mean?
Speaker 9: Oh yeah, I mean I still am loving the description of an American liberal as a tiny baby.
Speaker 4: There are little babies. There's little tiny babies. You got, They've got they can only hold like one sort of political critique in their mind at once, and you know, if they choose this kind of like identity essentialism, then it's so much easier to just kind of go like, hey, you know, I don't really think it's my place to talk about this right now exactly.
Speaker 9: It's just it's cowardly and like in retrospect, they're probably going to change their story about what their stance was, like you know what I mean, And it's just yes, it's really infuriating, and I think it is important to remember that what you're watching is reel Do and what it has done for the past seventy five years, over seventy five years, is just colonialism, and it was described that way since the beginning. But that was that was really Thank you for explaining all of that, Matt.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you know there will be more, uh. In part two, we'll get down to some of these myths. We'll get down to the way in which hasbar kind of works to invert narratives to a degree that you know, are almost so shocking that you have trouble believing the historical truth and are more comfortable believing the ahistorical fiction. But surine, what do we do now? Plugs? Or yeah? What do I say?
Speaker 9: Commercial breaks? That's the end of part one. You did a great job.
Speaker 4: Thank you. That's listen. I've never guess hosted a thing here on cool Zone Media, but I'm very happy too. And if you like you know me obviously you know, listen about as Barrow, the World's Most Moral podcast. If you like me and my wife, we're going to be at the Sacramento Punchline March seventeenth at seven pm. That's a Sunday. We're headlining together. I mean, you know, co headlining. So I'll go up, she'll go. But it's really good. It's a really good show. We did it in San Francisco. Is so much fun. Please come out to it March seventeenth. That's Sunday, March seventeenth, Sacramento Punchline. Come see Matt Leeb Francisca Hearing.
Speaker 9: Where can people follow you don't know, they should if.
Speaker 4: You don't know, at matt Leeb on Twitter, at mett leib jokes on Instagram, and uh yeah, check me out. I'll post all the dates and stuff over there, and all the podcasts over there too.
Speaker 9: Awesome.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, great job.
Speaker 11: Okay, goodbye, bye, Hey everyone, welcome to it could happen here.
Speaker 4: I am your guest host, Matt Leeb back again with Charene Unis. What's up, Cheren?
Speaker 9: Nothing? This this is, this is this is what's no? I happy to happy to be back. Hopefully you guys listen to part one already of math. Yeah, really cool little series we got going on here. But if you haven't listened to that first, and then we're continuing this.
Speaker 4: Haspara this journey. Yeah, this Hasbara train stops for no Man. Yeah. So this is part two of this series about Hisbara once again. Hesbara is basically just means to explain, and we're talking about Israeli propaganda and beyond not just propaganda, but so much more so. We're going to talk a little bit about the myths about Israel that have kind of like gained a foothold in Western public consciousness to a degree that it's like not just a foothold, but it's just kind of things that we commonly think are facts. So like, if you grew up in Zionism, which is like if you don't know that's a political ideology that birth the state of Israel, you have probably heard a lot of your teachers, your rabbis, your friends, your family, your Israeli friends, your Israeli family talking about how it's your responsibility to explain Israel to the people, and growing up you don't actually know that what you're doing is propaganda, Like you think you're just you know that you know more than most people because everyone else is getting their information from anti Semites. You know, you think like you've got the real scoop and that most people are just you know, born ignorant and biased against Jews. And you don't have to be Jewish to have been exposed to espara. Chances are that if you grew up in the West, you probably hold several views about Israel that are the result of decades long pr campaigns. So what I'm going to do now is a lightning round of myth busting. This is just like real quick getting into some of the I don't know some of the most pervasive things that I think each one could be an entire episode. But you know, listen, this is your guys, pot this isn't my podcast. I can't just take it away from you. So I'm just going to do a lightning round with you. Are you ready, Sharen?
Speaker 9: Oh, bored? Ready, Let's do it.
Speaker 4: Okay. Israel is not a land without a people for a people without land. Okay, there were people there. I don't know if you know that Palestinians were there and seven hundred and fifty thousand were expelled in nineteen forty eight. This whole conflict has not been going on for hundreds of years. It is very very modern, and it has nothing to do with an ancient religious rivalry. So when someone says, oh, they've been killing each other for thousands of yet, no, no, not even a little no, that is not a thing. Israel quote lives in a tough neighborhood and it must act tough to survive. That is just regular ass racism and orientalism. The idea that they just you know, you have to be tough, you know, I mean, listen, a tough neighborhood is very much that is translated for an American a white American audience. You know what I mean, what is a tough neighborhood. It's one with a lot of people of color. Here's another one. There are plenty of Arab states. Why can't they just go there again? This is a weird, racist, dehumanizing thing to tell someone whose house you just bulldozed, like where you know, whenever you see them, like doing a big zoom ount where they go, Like there's only one Jewish state and there's all these Arab states. You know, it's like no, no, no, personally, what happened here? Don't don't you know? It's like you guy had house, Army took house, moved him to other area. That is wrong, period. You can't just say go to another Arab country. That's that's just racism. Here's another one. It's too complicated. No, it is not. Switch the rolls in your head. Use your brain for a second. Switch the roles of Jews and Palestinians in your head, and you'll have an easier time condemning the side that has powerful government and army whose crimes include genocide, apartheid, ethnic cleansing, military occupation, and religious slash. Racist settler terrorism. That is not complicated. If it were the Jews who lived in Gaza getting bombed mercilessly, you would not have a problem saying what was happening was genocide. You just wouldn't just do that in your head. All right, here's another one. Zionism is an indigenous rights movement. No, it's fucking not. It's not. It is a settler colonialist movement. That is something that was made explicitly clear by the creators of modern Zionism. They not only talked about like settling and colonizing Palestine, but they referred to the Arab occupants there as the indigenous population. They they said indigenous they God, it just pisses me off. And also the indigenous argument is like, way, I just hate it in general when people go back and forth about who is indigenous there, because it's so academic. It's like it's dehumanizing and it obfuscates the whole thing because once again it is just Palestinians being like, I want to be able to vote, I want to have my house back. I literally have the key to my house. And yes, many of them literally still have the keys to their house. All right, there's there's so many, there's so many goddamn myths and propaganda that I just like that. I started a podcast about it. That's that's that's why. But like much of the stuff that you take for granted as fact is not only a historic but like wildly so. Like the IDF outnumbered the Arab States armies during the war forty eight. That is literally they say the opposite in the you know, nineteen forty eight story of the creation of Israel. It's like un created Israel. All the Arab states attacked. That is not actually what happened were not just that all the Arab states attacked, but that Israel and the IDEF overcame this gigantic horde of Arab armies. The Arab armies that were in this fight are far fewer than have been reported. You know, they say it's like seven, it was more like four, and only three of them. Only one of them had any sort of like modern military capabilities. The rest were not really armies. And also they outnumbered the IDEF outnumbered these armies in nineteen sixty seven. Here's another one. Israel attacked first in nineteen sixty seven. It was a preemptive strike, like famously and yet the you know, once again, the narrative around the nineteen sixty seven Six Day War is that, you know, Israel mining its own business and then Egypt along with the people Arabs. Yeah, evil Arabs attacked. The Israeli army struck first. That is a fact that they talk about. And there's it's also very very much disputed as to whether or not the Egyptian army was going to attack at all. But you know, there's no room for that narrative because it, you know, fucks up the the glorious story of what became the occupation of the West Bank and Gaza. Another one a whod Barack absolutely did not offer the Palestinians estate during Oslo. He did not, Nor did he offer ninety six percent of the West Bank. And no, Israel did not invent the fucking cherry tomato. Wait they did it. No, they did not. There was a Haaretz article about it where they're like, no, we didn't. Why do we keep saying this we didn't do that?
Speaker 9: Oh my god, that's so funny. No, I mean, so many of these talking points are some of the main arguments that Zionist will use to be like, well, they rejected this and this is what happened here, and it's just like these are all incorrect. You just like regurgitating Hasbara.
Speaker 4: Right, And it's because that his Bara has been so widely repeated and so often that it just kind of sinks in Huberac did not offer them a state in terms of what you would consider the definition definition of a state to be, you know, and that is autonomy, that is sovereignty. They were not offering them sovereignty. They weren't offering ninety six percent of the land. They had taken such a large percentage of the of it, and what they were offering was inn even smaller percentage of what they had already taken. And they the thing they were offering again, not a state, not a state, not a sovereign autonomous state. But you know, this is things people are willing to believe. And that's just that's the whole thing. And again I prefer to say it's the I am rubber, you are a glue tactic, but you know it's the same shit.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 4: His Bara likes to invert the victim and the victimizer. And the reason is simple. They know that the West is much more willing to believe that Jews are the victims and Arabs are oppressors.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 4: It's just it's playing on Western guilt and complicity in Europe during the Holocaust, and it's playing on kind of liberal sympathies in general. And honestly, it's playing on well, who do you know if you're in the West. If you're in the West, you know some Jews, maybe you don't know Arabs. The Arabs you do know are on TV doing bad, you know, And that is one of the reasons for the effectiveness of it. And in terms of like the inversion of everything, Like I think my favorite example is the is the map, So like Israel will often point to a map of the entire mina region like Middle East North Africa, and they'll highlight all of the Arab countries in green and Israel in blue to show that like, oh, Israel just a tiny is it just a tiny strip of land. It's just a small bean, you know, surrounded by big green Arab monsters, and I want to kill Israel like that. Hezbara map will like often include the West Bank and the Gaza strip in green as well, and it's a way to frame the West Bank in Gaza is not just being like this, you know, particular thing. They will be like, No, these are part of the giant invading Arab green monster, because what they're trying to do is show the power imbalance is being completely inverted from the reality here, you know, and anyone, anyone who knows you know, or anyone who's like watched the news, knows that it's ridiculously false to claim that Israel is somehow the less powerful agent here, you know, like you you don't have to have a PhD to plainly see the disproportionate power imbalance. Like there's Israel, a modern, you know, well armed military, cutting edge technology, backing and funding of the world's most powerful state, most powerful superpower, the United States, and then there is Hamas. That doesn't make Hamas the good guys or whatever I'm saying, it's just a clear indication of the power imbalance. You know, there is a clear power imbalance. And I think, like to what you were saying, the last one hundred plus days have made it perfectly clear that for all the talk of like the Arab States supporting Palestinians, like, it's clear Israel could literally genocide Palaestinians in broad daylight in the Arab states who do nothing. There's no giant Arab green monster that is protecting the Palestinian like the Palastinians. Only Arab comrades right now are the Houthis in Yemen and Hasbollah in Lebanon, both of which are non government militant organizations. They are not like, it is not the state of Yemen who is supporting the Palaestinians. It's not the state of Lebanon. It is these militant states within states pretty much. And yeah, so it's like you have to remember when Israel claims were just they were a small state the size of New Jersey, you know, in a tough neighborhood, and trying to make you know, the West Bank and Gaza look like the spear's tip of an Arab invasion. You have to remember that's not the case. The truth of it is is like you want to talk about how small Israel is, look how small the Gaza strip is, and that you know alone to like look at that pick sure, to know they are surrounded and to see that there's no way out. That I think changes the narrative for people. And it's a narrative that the Israelis don't like to show. They don't like to show the West Bank, and you know, in terms of how it is cut into cantons that are basically everything is surrounded by Israeli settlements in Israeli military.
Speaker 9: They took the best agricultural lands for themselves, you know what I mean, Like they really And also I think talking about seeing the Gaza on a map, it's really infuriating to me because I feel like in the last couple of months more people have seen what Gaza looks like on a map than ever before. And we see how fucking small it is, and it's described as being five miles at one point, like from the sea to the whatever, and it's still not enough able, you know, it's to the wall, literally to the wall. But like it's just even seeing how mini school it is is still not enough for people to be like, oh, thirty thousand people dying in this little strip of land.
Speaker 4: We should think about that, right, Yeah, No, I mean no, it's it is it is. My point is basically to dispel the idea that, like the Hesbara has been Israel, small therefore deserves support and people standing with it because small, because it's small, scary because baby puppy because a little little you know, please help, and that visual is just such a it's such a gross lie. And you know, you've anything to make the Palestinians, you know, seem bigger than they are is helpful for Israel. And that's why they do it. You know, this is this is a way to invert the victim and the victimizer. And it's clear as day. Other things that are clear as day, these products and services that we're going to be selling. So stick around, we'll be right back and we're back again. People in the West, by and large, prefer the Israeli explanation. They're fine living in this alternate reality. And you know, people believe it for like a variety of reasons. Some people because they were raised to believe it, some people because they just want to believe it. But I think mostly most people in the West just don't really care enough about like Palestinians to like look into it, like they're you know, they're just it's one of many news stories too. I think a lot of people it's easy to put in a box and to be honest, you know, like wouldn't that be nice to be able to compartmentalize like it would for me. Shit, it would make me way less stressed if I could just not care. And that's not to like call out anyone who doesn't care, because I do think that it is absolutely human and valid to have some things that you just don't have emotional capacity to care about. I think my issue is not whether or not people are, like, you know, supporting Palisine on their social media or whatnot. My issue is whether or not they're just going to allow themselves to be manipulated and then end up defending the indefensible because of it. Like if you're if you're not going to say nothing, don't do hasbara. That's my that's my feeling about it. But yeah, you know, people want to put in a box. Beyond that, I think there's also no incentive for a lot of people to believe in it. In fact, even question who are the victims and the victimizers in the whole Israeli Palestine quote unquote conflict, like it brings up a dark, twisted irony that most people don't even want to entertain. You know, people don't want to think about that stuff. And it also it people worry about whether or not they're going to get in trouble. And that brings me to another part of this speech I found from the Middle East Policy Council about haspara quote. It also seeks to actively inculcate canons of political correctness in Domesican foreign media and audiences that will promote self censorship by them. It strives thereby to decrease the willingness of audiences to consider information linked to politically unacceptable viewpoints, individuals and groups, and to inhibit the circulation of adverse information and social networks. It focuses on limiting the receptivity of audiences to information. So Hasbar is fucking Orwellian, that is, I think one of the things that interests me about it a lot is how Orwellian it is. You know, it goes beyond mere branding when the Israeli government and pro Israel institutions like so effectively mold the parameters of what is and isn't politically correct, not just like in their own country, but in other countries in the West. Like think about the self censorship that you the listener do around this issue. Think about the times you wanted to say something but didn't because you didn't know the exact right way to say it, you know, like how how to put it, And like, think about the times that you were reading something critical of Israel by someone you trust and agree with, and one sentence or one word or one turn of phrase triggered you into questioning not validity of the thing you were reading, but like the nature of the person who wrote it. Think about your reaction to me saying these things about Israel, and about how you felt when Sharen made a lot of these points on some other episode of this podcast, you know, like think about why that changes things for you. And like there was a time where I was also uncomfortable and like I would only feel comfortable at hearing criticism and doing criticism of Israel in the presence of other Jews, Like it had to be in a you know, private all Jewish Facebook group or in like in person or through text messages. Like I was so suspicious of the secret motives of non Jewish people criticizing Israel, right, Like, like someone could literally say something that I one hundred percent agreed with, something that I myself had said, and then I would still get this icky feeling from them saying it, like yeah, but why are they saying it like why do you care? Like that is probably Hasbara's greatest success to relegate the issue of Palestinian human and civil rights to a niche subject that is best talked about in private and only by Jews. So I mean, Sarene, I know that, Like for you, you've got you get shipped for this, you know, I do.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I feel like I'm done qualifying in my real life especially and also just like in work. I'm done qualifying whether or not something I say is or is not whatever, because I'm if I'm even entertaining the idea that criticizing Israel is anti Semitic, that's like feeding the fire. I don't want to even bring that into I don't want to associate that religion and of course the state of Israel. And I feel like the more we have those disclaimers, the more it's conflated. And I've definitely, I mean, I've had a lot of anti Zionist Jewish people on the show, almost almost to like show people that like, listen to these people with actual experience.
Speaker 4: Yes, and that's not to it's not to you know, say you shouldn't. None of this is me saying like, hey, you shouldn't listen to anti Zionist Jews or whatnot, or just like you know, like or you shouldn't be discerning about who you're getting your information for, because yeah, there are Nazis who are you know, wrap themselves in the guise of being anti Israel or like you know, anti occupation or whatnot. That none of this is putting down anyone for being discerning or being careful, but it's to say that like Hasbara has quite an effect on even the most conscious of people. Like making zion and Judaism synonymous and like practically indistinguishable is like one of his Bar's like greatest achievements, presenting Jewish support of Israel as monolithic save for like a few cranks you know, who are the exception that proved the rule. You know, like non Jews don't want to criticize criticize Israel because they don't want to upset their Jewish friends, or they don't want to be labeled an anti Semite. You know. It's like, you know, after the large public outcry about Israel's brutal response to the homosterous attacks of October seventh, there was a big push among his Bars to frame all Jews of the world as feeling abandoned by the left and abandoned by their friends. You had people like Brett Gelman, Oh my god, from a stranger walking dumps, I hate him so much. Oh my god, fucking Wooly Willie over here going on Instagram being like, hey, fake woke former friends, and like he gave a speech at the like Stand with Israel March that was something like the Jews don't need you, like presenting the you know, the idea of people criticizing Israel, or like not wanting at the very least not wanting the complete obliteration of Palestinians in Gaza, framing that as like, oh, well, all the Jews want that, you know, like his whole thing of being like the Jews don't need you, as if he and Israel represented all Jews, like presenting the Jews of the world as a monolith, as if non Zionist or anti Zionist Jews don't even exist, as if we all felt this way, Like you don't want to hate Jews, do you? Of course, if you don't, then you gotta let Israel do whatever the hell it wants.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 9: I think what really bothers me about him, I mean everything bothers me about him. But like people like him, they'll sometimes preface what they're saying with, hey, I care about Palestinians and then continue on their their whatever tirade. There's ionis bullshit, and it's like, it's just it really boggles my mind because I think he thinks he's a good person. I really think that he believes he's a good person, when really he's just a piece of shit that does not see a huge group of people as human beings.
Speaker 4: Yes, does not see people as human. And this is something that you I think that anyone who's like a self described liberal or leftist or whatever would be able to easily recognize in any other situation. But it's just it's it's it's clouded in this particular situation because of this conflation, because you are willing to believe that Jews are sort of a mono like monolithically agree with Israel. Like they may be like a little bit like liberal Zionists or whatnot, but mostly you know, they all love Israel, and that is is is not true, and it's it's a way of like more so, it feeds into the continuing conflation. It feeds into this hasbara that Israel represents all Jews, and I am telling you right now it doesn't. And I don't think I'm telling anyone something they don't already know. Like I think people know, Zionism is not Judaism.
Speaker 9: I think you've said that many times on this podcast, trust me.
Speaker 4: Yea, at this point you should know.
Speaker 9: If you don't know that by now, please.
Speaker 4: Yes, learn it now. But like you know, Jews, both inside and outside of Israel, have a diverse range of views about the Israeli government. That's not to say that Jews in Israel do not, for the most part, you know, support the government at least or support the project of Zionism. But that is like, to me, that's to be expected. It's to be expected that it's like fucking nine to eleven, you know. I it weird to not expect the kind of racist jingoism that you saw like after nine to eleven, you know, in fucking America. And I feel like that was the majority of people. Was that kind of like like seething anti Arab hatred. And I'm not excusing it, but what I'm saying is that Jews have a diverse range of views inside and outside of Israel, and a lot of it includes wanting a ceasefire. And that's why you see it in these Jewish organizations that are trying to end the occupation. They're trying they are openly critiquing Israel, that are calling Zionism racism. You see it, and you see it because they because we're honestly trying to change this narrative. We're trying to stop people from believing this lie that the Jewish people are synonymous with the state of Israel.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and I think that's why Jewish and I mean I've said this many times as well, but Jewish antaisionists are like a very integral part of the movement to liberate Palestine because it's again, it's not a Palestinian issue, it's not a Muslim issue. It's it's a very human issue to care about people not being fucking genocided.
Speaker 4: Yes, another thing that's pretty clear is how good the products are that we sell here at Cool Zone. So let's stick around, listen to these ads and we'll be right back. And we're back. So I want to say to everyone listening, I understand that the impulse to treat the subject of Israel with more caution and care. Is rooted in respect for the Jewish people and a desire to stand firmly against anti Semitism, and that is that is a good thing. I encourage that one hundred percent you respecting Jewish people and wanting to stand firmly against anti Semitism, wanting to fight it with every fiber of your being. You are correct and feeling that way, and I want to encourage it. And I also need you to understand that it's for that very reason that I urge people to speak out about Israel, because I believe Israel and there has Baris mouthpieces and the project of political Zionism are inherently anti Semitic, and not in like the semantic sense where it's like Arabs are also semi So it's an argument I've heard. I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about anti Jewish, specifically anti Jewish. They actively work to create fear amongst diaspora Jews, make us distrust our friends, our neighbors, our co work, our fellow Jews. Even they tell us that, you know, they tell Jews that unless they support Israel, they are not real Jews, you know, or they are self hating Jews. They use our past traumas against us. They re traumatize us and manipulate us like it's classic abuser shit. It is, it is abuse. It's it's cult shit too, and they even deal in Nazi revisionism. And it's it's so important to point this out because you see the way that they, the Israeli government uses the Nazi you know, accusation in order to do a genocide. I mean you see constantly, you know, in the last three four months, videos from the IDF showing, you know, an iPad they found in a teen girls bedroom, and you know, they open it up and there's the wallpaper of the iPad is is Hitler's face. And you look at that, and you're supposed to go, oh my god, I can't I can't believe that, and you forget to question what the fuck an Israeli soldier is doing in a seventeen year old girls bedroom. Why is it blown up? And why why is he going through her stuff like that? You stop looking at what is actually happening, and you start looking at what the Hasbaris want you to look at. They want you to see the Hitler thing and go like, oh man, this is a whole society of little Hitlers, and I you know, I look at that and I see the way they cynically use that. While at the same time, you know, Benjamin net Yahoo has been pushing this line claiming that the Holocaust was essentially the Palestinian's idea. I mean, this is something that has been gaining more and more traction in like sort of this new Israel Palestine, like a historical narrative that's been pushed about, like you know, the Mufti and is and Hitler meeting up together and being like, have you ever thought about killing the Jews? And Hitler was like, I never thought about that before. That's so smart. Wow, thank you Palestinians. Like total bullshit, totally revising, like trying to do fucking like I don't know apology of for literally, Hitler is anti Semitic. I don't care how you slice it. It is. And that's something that the Israeli government deals in. They deal in anti Semitism all the time. I mean, essentially, Israel tells the world that Jews are a third column, loyal to Israel first and foremost, and tells Jews that our home isn't our home. They say this to us, and you know that due to our traditions and our blood, you know, we are just merely guests in any other place. This is like an old racist worldview from a previous century, filled with blood and soil fascism, you know, and like for me, like growing up in a mixed secular family, you know, where I'm like, yeah, I'm like culturally Jewish and I'm ethnically Jewish, but I'm like a blood jew essentially, you know, like and as like the very fact of me having Jewish blood was used by fascists to murder us during the Holocaust. Now under Israel's Law of Return, that very same Jewish blood is being used by fascists as a passport to allow me to move to Israel and displace an entire Palestinian family if I choose to, like, you know, being religiously Jewish doesn't have anything to do with my ability to do this, and my blood is my passport to you apartheid. That's why I choose to talk about this stuff. You know, if you're going to use my blood to make me complicit in crimes, the crimes of your state, then I'm gonna have something to say about it. You know. So my final piece of haspara has to do with something that has been said over and over again by countless Zionis, including the current President of these United States of America, Joe Biden. Folks, were there no Israel, there wouldn't be a Jewish the world was safe. The idea that the state of Israel alone can keep the Jewish people safe is an insane piece of haspara. It is a total, utter anti Semitic bullshit. A Jewish state does not and cannot keep Jewish people safe. Tying the fate of the Jewish state to the Jewish people is a recipe for fucking disaster. The Jewish people are a nation that has lasted thousands of years. Nations meaning like a people with a common origin, history, language, culture, customs, and religion and or religion. You know, it can be any of those things. And for a long long time we were one of many stateless nations that existed. And that's not to say that, you know, Israel shouldn't exist or whatever. But more importantly, what I'm saying is that Jews should exist, whether they happen to be located anywhere, like wherever they are, Jews should should exist. The existence of the state of Israel, to me is not the question, and that is not what Israel claims to do. They ensure, they claim to ensure the existence of the Jewish people, but they do not. All they do is try to bolster the existence of their state. And it should not be common thought that the existence of Israel and the existence of Jews are the same thing is I can personally think of nothing more dangerous for any people than to tie their entire survival to something as impermanent as a fucking state. And that is the truth about Israel. So you know, all this to say that I'm a I guess I'm an anarchist. Now there's one thing that you know, getting into the whole Israel palasine thing will do to you. It turns you very quickly into someone who believes the existence of states is the problem. Yeah, yeah, so that's that's me. That's how I feel about stuff.
Speaker 9: I'm so glad you did this series for us. Where can't people hear you do the same thing? But what by yourself? With other people?
Speaker 4: You can? You can hear me? Do you know these talking about Israel and stuff? On my new podcast, bad has Bara, The world's most moral podcast. It's a it's a comedy podcast about hilarious Israeli propaganda that I that I find that are you know, listeners find and you know, I have on my friends like Charine, I had you on, I had an on, I had all sorts of great anti Zionist Jews and some really amazing Palestinian guests. Or at least by the time this comes out, I assume those episodes will have come out. I you know, I don't know when those are coming out. But anyways, I've only been doing the podcast for a month and it's it's been a lot of fun. It's been cathartic, and it's been hard, and it's definitely been you know, like caused some stress in my life because you know, looking for this content you have to dig through a lot of really horrific shit. So yeah, check out bad as Bara or you know, check me out met leave jokes on Instagram, and go to sacrament Know punchline March seventeenth, Sunday, seven pm, Me and my wife, my wife. Just if you're in teeny we're gonna be co headlining there, So get your tickets now. Link in the notes. Yay no thank you so much.
Speaker 9: I really enjoy your podcast, the most SPORL podcast, I would say in the.
Speaker 4: World for sure. Thank you for you know, give me the opportunity to talk about this. And you know, I promise you that the show, The Badass Bar Show is funny. I swear to god, it's funny.
Speaker 9: It's very cathartic. You are you're correct in that. It's very cathartic to just like event with your friends and people think the same things as you, especially if you're surrounded by someone or people that are kind of purposely ignorant or whatever.
Speaker 4: You know. So, yeah, when you're surrounded by people who don't want to either don't want to engage with this at all, or I'm mad at you for even partially engaging with it, it's nice to find the people that you know in love and like to joke around with and be like, we're we're not crazy, right exactly, and then we go, yeah, we're not, and then we have a good time. Yeah, check that out, and thank you and thank you to everyone. A cool zon media.
Speaker 9: Yay, Yeah, go follow Matt, Go see Matt and his uh my crush his wife, don't tell her, and yeah they're they're really doing the work and I really appreciate both of you guys just being really outspoken always, and so yeah, follow their lead, keep talking about Palestine. There's still a fucking genocide happening. And that's the episode.
Speaker 4: All right, bye everyone, Hi Pree Palestine pre Palestine.
Speaker 2: Hey, we'll be back Monday with more episodes every week from now until the heat death of the Universe.
Speaker 8: It Could Happen here as production of cool Zone Media.
Speaker 9: For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website Coolzonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts. You can find sources for It Could Happen Here, updated monthly at Coolzonmedia dot com slash sources. Thanks for listening.