Speaker 1: Hey, folks, it's Lyle. Before we get into the episode, I wanted to talk to you guys about a new thing I'm doing where you can help support my lizard endeavors by becoming a Premium member of this podcast over at Therapy Gecko dot supercast dot com. Premium members, or gek Legends, as I call them, we'll be able to get every new and existing episode of Therapy Gecko completely ad free. They'll also get a bonus podcast episode once a month, a bonus live show episode once a month from all of the live shows I've been doing around the world, a member's only live stream once a month. Plus you'll also support my ability to continue, hopefully doing this podcast for a long time, doing it around the world, and also supporting my ability to occasionally go eat a slice of pizza. Go to Therapy Gecko dot supercast dot com or find the link in the episode description to become a gek legend. Today. All right, let's get into the episode. Well, Hello, Hello, how are you man?
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, I am well, Actually I am surprised you call. I was listening. I heard you say holy shit, and here I go.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, so I got a message. So for some context to those who are listening. I got a text on the geck line from you saying, Hey, I'm the bounty hunter that ran over the rocks, almost crashing while listening to you. So context to that. There was this video that I kept getting tagged in on Instagram and TikTok of a dude who like crashes his car running over a bunch of rocks and like it's some like viral car crash video and in the car he's listening to this podcast and I wouldn't. I don't know where people could go to watch this video or what they can google. But anyways, I kept getting tags in this video and now I'm talking to you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now that's super dope. So I posted it on my Instagram because I run a small channel of all the downy hunts that I do kind of like Patty Mayo but real stuff. Uh, And so I was out hunting for a person listening to your podcast. It was like, oh, probably one in the morning, pitch Black taking a canyon on the way home, and these rocks jumped out from nowhere, and ironically the best timing was after I crashed over them. You said, and that's the best you can do, and that's how it ended. I was like, well, that's the best I can do right there.
Speaker 1: Now, I got to say this in the video, and I don't I don't know where we'll put it. Maybe we'll link it in the episode description or something. But in this video it kind of look. You got a lot of negative comments on the video because here I did. It kind of looks like you crashed the car on purpose.
Speaker 2: Well, hear me out, So here's what happened. So I just spent the entire day, maybe eighteen hours, searching for this guy, and I did catch him, but after that it was really late coming back. And my defense is the camera, in my defense, sees better than my visions long because it was dark and my headlights weren't that great, and we were coming around to curve and then all of a sudden, there's the rock. But you're right. People commented on that video and it was just NonStop negative, negative pitches.
Speaker 1: Now really quick, I gotta say this. What's your name?
Speaker 2: My name's Jamie.
Speaker 1: Jamie. It sounds like you're driving right.
Speaker 2: Now, ironically I am.
Speaker 1: Are we about to see another video online of you talking to me while you grash your car?
Speaker 2: Know. I was actually on my way to work. I do another job at night as well, so I'm on my way to work right now.
Speaker 1: Okay, So what's this channel that you do? Because I didn't look through the whole channel. I just saw this one video.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so the channel you can find it on Instagram and all the other platforms. It's the same thing. It's it's a bounty vault, like a vault of bounties, but it's a bounty vault.
Speaker 1: And what do you what exactly does it mean to be a bounty hunter?
Speaker 2: Uh So what I do is, I am I'm gonna park real quick because I got like fifteen minutes I can.
Speaker 1: That is a good idea.
Speaker 2: Well let's see, let me get parked real quick.
Speaker 1: You're gonna get a du You're gonna get a dug driving under the influence.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: All right, So on parts for safe Now. So what a bounty hunter is the it is the coined term for someone that is a bail enforcement agent. And so what my job is is someone goes to jail they can't afford the full Say your bail is ten thousand dollars and you can't drop ten thousand or your family can't. You can go to a bail bondsman in most states and they will charge you ten percent of that whole bond, and the bondsman guarantees of the court under their bond that you will go to court. But if you fail to appear, then they send someone like me after you and I will return you to jail so you can go to court, and that way the bondsman doesn't have to pay that ten grand.
Speaker 1: Okay, what kinds of things are these people accused of doing?
Speaker 2: Oh? Everything under the sun. You have everything from your basic driving under the influence from you in marijuana or alcohol, all the way up to your really heinous crimes where you get your murder and child related crime. You know, some real real piece of crap people, all the way down to the your innocent like didn't know better and got caught up on a bad day.
Speaker 1: Now tell me when you encounter these people, when you finally find them, how do you get them to come with you? Do you have like a little like one of those James Bond net gun things.
Speaker 2: It depends. Some of these people I have a rapport with. I've arrested them five, six, seven times, So I just knock on their door and they're like, I say hi, and they're like hi. I'm like, get in the car, and get in the car. But these people, you know, we have to find them. Just recently, I found a guy hiding inside a closet under a pile of clothes. And the way I found them was, of course, I was digging through the closet and I see an arm that wasn't buried very well. So I told him to show me and showed me his hands. He didn't want to, so he ended up tased. It took three of us to take him down, but the taser ended up finishing the fight.
Speaker 1: Now, m would you say you have a rapport with these people? So are those people who you've literally rested five times and when they see you, they're like, yep, do they not? How do I mean? After five Here's the thing though, Okay, after five times, is it like they've been sentenced and released five different times over the course of however many years.
Speaker 2: No, this is so let's say that's the simplest one. A d u y. You go to jail and you get bailed out on duy. You just never went to court to go deal with your charge. So then I go pok, you back up, and then your family fails you out again on the same exact charge, and you're just waiting to go to court, and then you miss again, and then I show up, and then you miss again, and then I show up and there's just a rinse lather repeat the situation. For some of these people, they don't know why do you they out but they don't want to deal with it.
Speaker 1: Why do you think they don't just like show up for what I mean, if they know that they're going to get caught, why do you think they keep missing the court date?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I think it's you know, the whole play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Some of these people just they don't go. I don't understand it. There's some people that they're court They literally have court the next day after we bail them out, and I'm showing up in two days after bailing them out because they chose not to go to court the next day and they could have been the whole situation.
Speaker 1: How long you been doing this for I've been doing it five years. And what were you doing before before that?
Speaker 2: I was a school security guard as well as a US Navy reservist.
Speaker 1: Ah, Okay, which of these things has been the most difficulty.
Speaker 2: Schools out of all of it? Dealing with the adolescent children that hormones are pulsing through and them not wanting to listen.
Speaker 1: Why what made you want to go into this line of work where you have to, like, you know, handle people who are fucking off?
Speaker 2: Well, I would be lying if I didn't say that. Again, I speak adrenaline. It is definitely an adrenaline rush to to go after people. My big thing. When I was looking at it, ironically, I was watching like Patty Mayo, and I was like, I can do that, and then I googled him and then I realized he wasn't real, and so I went and figured out how to do it in my own state, because each state has their own licensing requirements, and my state has some pretty strict ones. So I got licensed, and luckily I have a lot of contacts in town, and I just started doing it.
Speaker 1: Would you ever want to do something else? Would you ever get tired of this?
Speaker 2: I don't know. That's a good question. I'm trying to decide if this is what I want to stick with for the next twenty years, because I'm thirty now, and I'd like to retire, to retire when I'm fifty, And that all comes down to how much income I can put away in a retirement account, and I don't know if I can sustain that.
Speaker 1: How much can you make finding people under clothes and closets?
Speaker 2: Oh? Man, it depends on a good year. You can make one hundred grand. On an average year, you can make fifty sixty grand a year.
Speaker 1: What are you operating out of?
Speaker 2: I operate out of Washington State.
Speaker 1: Oh cool man. Now, have you ever gotten into trouble? Have you ever been to jail or anything like that?
Speaker 2: Nope. I am a goodie two shoe. I don't like breaking rules, and I don't think i'd survive in jail now because I've put people there.
Speaker 1: Would it be hot? Would you like run into a guy who you put in jail and he would just fuck you up?
Speaker 2: Oh? Absolutely, if I didn't have I know, I know jiu jitsu, I know how to handle myself. But if he's got a little poffe and he can outnumber me, he's got me.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: I talked to a bounding hunter before I met one in one of my interview sessions that I do out in the real world. And uh, he was actually a born again Christian who had had previously led, like I guess, a life of crime and is now yea is now putting other people in jail. He said he was complete. He and he told me something. He said it was complicated because he felt bad for some of the people he was putting away because he used to do some of that shit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's true. I saw I know a video, a video your talking thought on wants to do one of the highlights on YouTube. And uh, what I can tell you you can absolutely we have a felony, you can you can be a previous criminal as long as you can put that life behind you, and as long as depending on how heinous your crimes were, you can you can still become a bail bondsman or a bail enforcement agent. You just have to make sure you can maintain your gun right, because if you have your gun rights taken away, you can't be a bondsman at all, at least not in Washington.
Speaker 1: Do you have a family, I do, well, what kind of family?
Speaker 2: Oh, it is a very complicated situation. So I am a single dad to two children that are not my blood children. But I didn't adopt them either. Their their mom is not one hundred percent the best. And that's the most I'll say on stream in case she ever hears this. But reality is her kids now live with me. Mom's in the picture when it looks good for her. So I take care of two kids, and then I have six cats and three dogs.
Speaker 1: You take care of six kids.
Speaker 2: No, six cats, two kids.
Speaker 1: Two cats and six kids. That's still that's a lot of things that need you.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it's true. My life is nonsought chaos, and I don't know when I sleep. Sometimes I sleep, sometimes I don't.
Speaker 1: Does that suck? Are you happy with that?
Speaker 2: I'm happy with my children that they've brought a lot of joy to me that I didn't know was available until I entered that world. Everything I do, every little bit of money I make, goes towards their success. My life priorities have changed to better their lives. Hold that I have a fifteen and a half year old and a nine year old.
Speaker 1: Fifteen and a half and you're thirty. Yep, interesting there, and they are your I'm sorry, can you re explain that situation that you were explaining?
Speaker 2: Sure? So I'm into older girls, and so their mom is like thirty six, thirty seven, and I'm into their mom. And when we broke up, unfortunately, I learned a lot about her that wasn't beneficial for the kids. There was some hoarding situations and not safe living environments, and so we drifted apart, and as a result, her kids stayed with me because I'm the one that ask to clean house the bedrooms available for them. I have a safe living space.
Speaker 1: Whoa, And like, so legally are they are? They? Are they legally your children? Now?
Speaker 2: Legally no, So I still have to have mom's consent to do a lot of things. We're working towards. Uh, we're working towards getting a split custody and that where where Mom's gonna at least assign me like fifty percent guardianship. We don't know. I don't know how that all works yet, but we're moms open to it. And and then and so we still communicate. We do a lot better as friends than we did as a couple.
Speaker 1: So they primarily stay with you. Yep, WHOA, I mean that's a lot so like damn, So they were with their mom and then how long you been with your how long have you been in that woman's life, for.
Speaker 2: I have been in their life for nine years.
Speaker 1: Whoa, all right, so nine years ago and that and one of the kids is nine, yes, all right, so you've been there their whole life. So you're like a step dad, but you're not married to the wife.
Speaker 2: Yep. It's a very weird situation, unfortunately, and there's a lot of there's a lot of trauma to the kids of why the the family kind of dynamic is the way it is. There is a middle child that was murdered by the second baby daddy. Now, so there used yeah, there used to be three kids, and mom was always into the bad boys. And unfortunately, while she was at work, the dad of the of my youngest right now, his dad ended up murdering the middle time.
Speaker 1: Holy shit, how old was kid?
Speaker 2: He so he was in the wombs bill and so he he doesn't know, he knows nothing of this trauma. But the youngest child, she was, I want to say, she was just barely three when she when she passed m.
Speaker 1: Man so so all right, So yeah, because I was gonna wonder, I was kind of wondering, what's up with these kids' dads? All right? So there were three kids, and then one of them was killed by the second baby daddy.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: And then the oldest kid, the fifteen year old, where's his dad?
Speaker 2: Her dad hung himself off a bridge two years ago, and it is no longer is no longer in the situation. That's why I when that happened, I vowed to the kids that I wasn't going to be the male figure that left them for the third time.
Speaker 1: Jeez man, So you really, I mean, so these kids were just in in just totally fucked situations, and you decided to step in and uh and and yeah be their father figure.
Speaker 2: Yep, I wanted to step in. And I mean it's it started out with like I was just totally into their mom. I mean, you know, midget mom, goodbod. I was totally into it. And then all this started happening. And the oldest told me, she was like, don't ever leave me because I have nothing else. And so I made a vow that I was never going to leave her. And the youngest he knows nothing but me, and so I don't want to put him through unnecessary trauma.
Speaker 1: How old was was the was the daughter when when she said that.
Speaker 2: To you, she was thirteen, just a few years ago.
Speaker 1: Man, hmmm, and how is how is everything going? Like how often do they get to see their mom versus seeing you? Like, what's what's the custody kind of look like?
Speaker 2: Right now they see their mom. So Mom can come see them whenever she wants, and I'll take them to her as well. Mom is actually going to see is taking the oldest on a road trip this weekend. The oldest is going to be in one of her weddings, so she's the oldest is reconnecting with her with her biological father's side family, and she got asked to be the bride, one of the bridesmaids for a wedding in the family. So she's going to be taking a road trip to go up there with Mom.
Speaker 1: So I would say, Mom, I thought I thought the biological dad hung himself.
Speaker 2: He did, but on that on on biological dad's family side, the oldest is reconnecting with his side of the family, so her aunt's uncles on his side. And so she's learning all these connections and wanting to explore that side of her life that she never got to.
Speaker 1: Was were you ever married to this woman?
Speaker 2: It was going to be and then we started taking a massive decline. I proposed her and everything, and I'm kind of glad we didn't go through with it, because we learned very quickly after the proposal and things started getting really real that we did not do well together in that capacity.
Speaker 3: Hm hm.
Speaker 1: And what what made you realize that?
Speaker 2: Oh goodness, when when I realized that the hoarding was getting out of control and there was there was to the point where you know, glass was being broken on the ground and she wouldn't pick it up, and I'd have to pick it up. But it just like she just leave food all over the ground and it would get moldy, and she just wouldn't pick up after herself, and ultimately it piled up in her house, and it piled up, piled up, piled up to the point where like the kids didn't couldn't walk around barefoot in their own home. And it really frustrated me because we hadn't moved in fully yet. We were kind of going back and forth whose home we were going to stay in. Was it going to be mine, was going to be hers because we both equally owned the house, and so we we were trying to figure that out, and it just the more her the more her home started getting worse and worse. And I tried to help everywhere I could, there was no changing it, if that makes sense, Like her mind was set on this is how it is. Ultimately, she she still needs help addressing the trauma that she's gone through. She signed off. She went to counseling when everything went down with her with her middle kid, but she went. She did it just long enough to where they said, yep, you passed, and then she left. Wow.
Speaker 1: How often do you see her?
Speaker 2: I see her? I mean we text all the time, but I see the mom two three times a.
Speaker 1: Week, okay, and mainly uh, to to discuss matters with the kids.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what whatever is going on with them? Schools getting ready to start. So we actually got together and I bought all all the stationary supplies and then she went and bought all of their all the new school clothes and shoes and stuff like that. So she helps, she helps financially, She's involved, but not.
Speaker 1: Wild man. So I got a question. So, I mean, if if she gets a new man in her life, is she gonna is she gonna want to like be like, all right, let me get my kids, let me get my man. Let's ride off into the sunset. Or is she gonna be cool with you still? Like I asked about that, fine, is that kind of an issue?
Speaker 2: It's already a thing. And ironically, so, she's fine with me being in the kids's life. She has told me multiple times that she's glad that the kids have me. But but she is with the new dude, and she's pregnant with this dad with this guy. So this is baby daddy number three or four, sorry, there's four baby daddy's total. This is number four. And she's pregnant with this kid with this guy. And I've arrested this dude. No way, yeah, no way, No, It's absolutely true. I have arrested this guy and he wants nothing to do with me. But here's the here's the catch.
Speaker 1: He also does that is that is a fucking like move. That's a movie live. Your ex girlfriend starts dating a guy that you, as a bounty hunter have arrested. Fucking nuts? What did he offer? Story? But what what did you? What did what did you arrest him for?
Speaker 2: I arrested him on three counts of the.
Speaker 1: U I jesus wait, we do UI or alcohol? Do U? I?
Speaker 2: Both?
Speaker 1: Anyway? All right. So, so she's pregnant again with this dude who doesn't like you because you fucking smacked him in the head with a baton or something. He went really pupfully, what's the what's the story there, What's what's the drama? What's going on?
Speaker 2: So, so the mom makes really good money, so he is using her as a sugar mama right now. It's very it's very apparent because he is controlling her money and he's currently on house the rest. He's been sentenced, so he's on house arrest right now, but is demanding that she pays for seeings, is demanding bringing him food. And this dude still lives under his mom's roof on the couch and all these things he has. He has kids with three other women and has told the kids my kid is mom, that he doesn't want the kid and just to give it to me and I and I literally put my foot downs in one. I'm not taking care of another child. I'm not the one that got you.
Speaker 1: Pregnant and them. So the mom wants you to just start taking care of the new kid that she's having with this guy.
Speaker 2: No, the boyfriend does. The boyfriend told mom. The boyfriend told Mom, just give just give Jamie the kid. He'll take care of it.
Speaker 1: Dude. Some people should not have kids.
Speaker 2: There should be a license.
Speaker 1: They really should. Oh man.
Speaker 2: So yeah, So I am in a the biggest clusterfuck of a relationship that I put myself in, so it's it's equally my fault. And then I made a vow a kid to the kids that I won't leave, and so I'm not going to ever leave them, and my goal is to make sure that they are as successful as they possibly can be given the way they grew up. Hmmm.
Speaker 1: So okay, so this is the This is the opposite of the kind of scenario that I was panting because I imagined a scenario where she would get with a new guy and then they would be like, all right, let me get my kids back. But it's the opposite. She's in a scenario with a new guy making a new kid and being like, hey, can you take this new kid?
Speaker 2: Yep. Luckily I put my foot down real quick on that because she told me that the boyfriend said that, and I looked at her square in the face. I said, that's not happening. I go, it's already happened, and I'm happy with where I'm out, but I didn't ask for a third one.
Speaker 1: What was what was the whatever? I'm losing track of the relationships between all these people. But the mother of the children, she was talking to you and she pitched the idea to you. What was her What was her pitch of the idea?
Speaker 2: Her pitch of the idea was she was sitting in the car with me and he and her boyfriend literally texted it to her while we were sitting next to each other, and she goes, well, here's what he wants to do. After I found out she was pregnant, and all of a sudden, she shows me her phone, and her phone says, just give Jamie the kid.
Speaker 1: And I looked at her and I said, no, dude, what a night. Jesus Right.
Speaker 2: So I'm living the craziest lifestyle out of a bounty hunter with crazy living situation, but I own my home and I'm happy, and the mom's involved as best as she can. And so I guess there's that.
Speaker 1: Are you? What about you? Are you going to date anyone? Are you on the apps? Are you on Bounty hunterlove dot com? What's up with you?
Speaker 2: I wish that there was someone for me. And I know everyone's gonna say there's someone, there is someone, but I haven't found the time.
Speaker 1: You You're you're optimistic about other people's optimism. I don't think that's what people would say.
Speaker 2: I I would like to say that I can find someone, but I have tried and I have looked, and it is what it is. And if it happens, it happens. If it doesn't, it doesn't, I'll be happy with where I'm at.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you seem like a pretty happy guy. You seem like you're not spiraling into fits of uh uh depression and despair on a constant basis, are you?
Speaker 2: Uh No, But I talked to a therapist. It's because of your stream that I'm on better.
Speaker 1: So okay, how's that going for you?
Speaker 2: You know, it is probably one of the best things I've ever chosen to do. Really, Yeah, to be completely hones. I like my therapist. I never thought therapy would be for me. I thought that I just had to kind of suffer by myself and and that, and it was nice to be able to talk to someone and be able to lay everything on the table and be told that I'm not doing a terrible job, that I'm actually doing. Okay.
Speaker 1: I am very happy to hear that. I just need to say this just because I know I people are going to accuse me of this. I swear on my mother's life. I did not pay this man to say this. No I would if I would never do that. I just know I'll pay this guy to talk about. No, it is not thing that just came up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, I it was. It's the best choice I ever made. It's there were so many apps, ironically, there were so many ads in all of your Spotify pods cast that I just decided to google it and look into it, and I was going to try.
Speaker 1: Did you did you use the code gecko?
Speaker 2: Of course I used the code get goo.
Speaker 1: Okay, And it's working for you. Okay, I'm glad it's working for you. I'm glad it's working. I'm glad it's working. That makes it very happy.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Anyway, anyway, anyway, anyway you seem you see, I mean, god, this whole thing is is such a crazy scenario. Are and so your oldest is in high school right now?
Speaker 2: Yep, she starts tenth grade.
Speaker 1: Is she doing? Is she doing? Okay? And in school and ship.
Speaker 2: She you know, she is so freaking smart, like wickedly smart. She's an all honor student. She gets a's and b's like nothing. She's also in the junior the j r OTC program, so the junior military program, and she she is just wickedly smart. And it pisses me off because they'll be like, I'm trying to do something and I never thought I'd have to go to her and ask her how do I do this on my iPhone? Or what's the answer to this question? And she just knows it up top her head and makes me feel really old and dumb sometimes even though I'm not old and I know I'm not dumb, but it's crazy just how smart she is. I can ask her anything and she just knows the answer.
Speaker 1: Well, it's funny because I mean, thirty is so young and like, yo, you guys are really not like, oh you're very You're very young for a father figure.
Speaker 2: Right well, and especially for her. I get confused to being her brother a lot more than I do being stepdad, and I understand the confusion and it's something that her and I have had to work through. I don't get that with her brother because obviously he's a lot younger, but a lot of people don't understand that I was much my my interests was very much so of the older woman and resulted in her having a family that I became a part of.
Speaker 1: How did How does she feel about the convoluted nature of of her situation?
Speaker 2: Oh, my oldest Yeah. Some days she she just explains it like, uh, that I'm just step dad and that's what it is, and people didn't bother her with it. Other times she she uses me as a bragging right because I'm a by hunter. Uh, and it shares the boys away, the ones that she doesn't want doesn't want around at least mm hmm. And then uh. And then other times she gets frustrated because I get confused to being her brother instead of the parents that here.
Speaker 1: Do you think is she gonna? Does she want to go to college? I mean, I guess it's kind of really for that discussion, but.
Speaker 2: Well, she she does. She wants to grow up to be a therapist, psychological therapist for military veterans suffering through PTSD.
Speaker 1: That is a wildly impressively specific life goal for a sixteen year old.
Speaker 2: Yep, that's what she wants to do. And I want to make sure it happens for her.
Speaker 1: That's beautiful, man, that's beautiful. And the nine year old probably likes playing Xbox.
Speaker 2: YEP, NonStop Xbox. I have to keep it on a timer.
Speaker 1: What's he on? What's what's the game is he on?
Speaker 2: Uh? What one? Isn't he on? He is on every game? He plays a lot of Roadblocks and a lot of Fortnite. And then I have g I have Grand Theft Auto blocked because he doesn't need that.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to say, how great? What grade? What grade is nine years old?
Speaker 2: He is starting fourth grade?
Speaker 1: Okay? Yeah, because I start, I want to say I first played Grand Theft Auto for in the sixth grade, which is probably still not an amazing time to play granted THOTO, but yeah, that's about when I started playing it, which would be like sixth grades, like what eleven, twelve? Anyway? All right, well, before we go, what's your what's your name? Again? One more time? Jamie, Jamie, Jamie? What's what's your? Before we go? What's the next for you?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 1: What's what do you? What's your what's your what's your dream? What are your hopes?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: What do you do? You are you gonna have anything to. You have so much to nav I'm throwing a bunch at you, but you have so much to navigate, and yet you seem happy. You don't seem as stressed as I think I would be if I were dealing with everything you're dealing with.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, you know my uh my big goal in life right now is just to make sure they're successful. And that said, I am looking. I'm looking for what my retirement plan is going to be. I want to make sure that at fifty fifty five I am I am done. And if that means I need to find a more stable career that can be sustaining for the kids and myself and keep my home over my head, That's what I'm gonna do. Is whatever whatever benefits the greater good for the kids.
Speaker 1: What are you going to do with your retire what like, if you are fully retired, what are you going to do with your time?
Speaker 2: I'm gonna sleep. I'm going to sleep, and I honestly I want to travel. I've been around the world. I want to go back to Korea. I want to go back to Japan and visit some of the places I haven't gotten to see.
Speaker 1: What's the What's what? What does your net worth have to be before you retire?
Speaker 2: Oh goodness, well a million dollars isn't what it's going to be, worse than twenty years. But I mean they say you got to take your annual income times. I'm in years and so I don't know million at least.
Speaker 1: See I'm thinking about too, But I'm thinking. I'm thinking. I'm thinking differently. I'm thinking, like, how can I train my body to not need food and shelter so that way I can just retire on the streets.
Speaker 2: You know, right now you still need food. You can live on the streets, but you still need food.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna do this real quick. Does I want the chat of any questions for Jamie? Sometimes I'll ask the chat for questions or the kids in therapy?
Speaker 2: Yes, both of them are. They are both actively in professional help.
Speaker 1: Someone asks when the kids are grown, are you going to leave the situation? It doesn't sound like you are.
Speaker 2: Oh, I don't know. That's a question for the future and how I feel.
Speaker 1: All right. Somebody asked, what is your favorite food?
Speaker 2: That would have to be really spicy sushi.
Speaker 1: Really spicy sushi. Well, I hope that you do eventually get to retire and go to Japan and have all the spicy sushi that you want, and if you don't, they have some at the grocery store. Jamie, is there anything else you want to say to the people of the computer before we go?
Speaker 2: Well, the only thing I would want to say for that is, you know, look forward to all your goals, achieve what you can, and leave a better legacy behind than what you currently have.
Speaker 1: Thanks man. Hey, you know what, Jamie, I might just go steal a candy bar from a liquor store just so I can see you again one more time.
Speaker 2: Will sound good?
Speaker 3: Lyle have a good one too.
Speaker 1: Goodye, solid conversation with Jamie making me think about what my retirement plan is. My retirement plan is. I'm gonna see if anyone listening to this podcast wants to pay me a million dollars for a used Gecko glove? Any takers starting? All right? Five hundred thousand?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: Four hunt, no, all right? Maybe I'll just get a job at the DMV or something. Hello, what's up dog? How you doing? How's life?
Speaker 3: Oh dude, oh man, life is better now that I'm talking to you. Holy buckets?
Speaker 1: Oh what's your name? What's your name, Oh.
Speaker 3: My name is Connor Connor Connor and before we but I must say we've met once before.
Speaker 1: When did we grabon?
Speaker 3: You were at Bonnaroo and then after you're set there, you went behind and someone was like, can I play you a song? And you were dancing. I walked up to you and I said can I get a picture? And You're like yes, And we hugged and you were like, what's your name? Man? And I was like, I'm Connor, and that was that was the first time we met.
Speaker 1: I said, what did I say? After that?
Speaker 3: You were just like nice to meet you, man, And I was smiling so big in the photo that someone was like, it's Christmas for him.
Speaker 1: And man, normally, if I'm normally, if I'm walking around at a festival and I'm in my gecko costume and somebody asked me for a photo, I'll look at them and I'll go like does it don't you see that I'm fucking busy, and I'll shove them into to the ground. So I'm glad you're not one of the people that I did that too.
Speaker 3: Oh, me too, me too.
Speaker 1: Connor Connor, you texted me, you said, you said the biggest choice of my life is in the next two weeks. What's up with that?
Speaker 3: So yes, yes, okay, so let me precurse this. So I'm in law school right and I'm in my third year of law school. It's coming to an end, my last year of college then getting thrown to the wolves into the real life, right. And so last summer I interned, and I'm going to law school in North Dakota. And last summer I interned at a place in South Dakota. And the place in South Dakota liked me so much that they offered me a job. But I go to school in North Dakota. All my friends are in North Dakota. And when it comes to like law and stuff, wherever you decide to work, like, that's where you're at because you got to take an exam called the bar exam, and it's state specific. So if I were to choose South Dakota, I'd be like, oh, peace out all my friends who I've made over the last three years and all my connections kick rocks. But if I choose North Dakota, I'm like, oh, peace out. This nice job offer that I was offered, kick rocks. I don't want it. And then I'd have to like do the whole application and interview process and all that stuff in North Dakota when it's kind of nice just you know, the offers already out there, you know, well, saying.
Speaker 1: Take cup, First of all, I need you to take comfort in the fact that you're fucked either way, because no matter what, you have to live in either North or South Dakota. And that should be comforted to you. That should make the decision less difficult. Yes, yes, I'm what how old do you?
Speaker 3: I am twenty four, but in a week and a half I'll be twenty five.
Speaker 1: Okay, cool man? And where are you calling me from North Dakota Grand.
Speaker 3: Forks, North Dakota, shout out und baby woo.
Speaker 1: All right, and you're in school right now?
Speaker 2: Where where?
Speaker 1: What are you doing right now? School?
Speaker 3: So I'm in my last year of law school. So I already have an undergraduate degree, which is four years of college, and now I'm on my third last year. It'll be my seventh year of school of higher education and then I'm done.
Speaker 1: Cool, cool, cool cool.
Speaker 3: So I kind of need to figure it out. And the reason I only have two weeks is because the job offer in South Dakota gave a deadline of August thirty first to accept it.
Speaker 1: Do you have jobs? Do you have a job offer in North Dakota?
Speaker 3: I do not?
Speaker 1: Okay, how are I don't know. I don't know this universe. How rare our job offers?
Speaker 3: You know, I don't know. I don't know because I've just been in college my whole life. I really don't know how rare job offers are. I mean, it's my first and only one. I guess right?
Speaker 1: How much? Can I ask you? How much money the South Dakota job offers for?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: You can? You can? So it's in South Dakota where the cost of living it's pretty low, but it's seventy g seventies.
Speaker 1: You just can get you can get your You can get you a hell of a seven to eleven run in South Dakota.
Speaker 3: Oh oh yes, it could get me to a live Gecko show.
Speaker 1: M well, it wants because I'm never stepping foot in South Dakota. But I bet why can't you?
Speaker 4: So?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: So what a minute? So have you been on indeed or LinkedIn or or any of those other have you? Have you researed? Because it sounds like you want to live in North Dakota because you have friends and connect you have your life is in North Dakota, and you do you like your life?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I like my life. It's a pretty good life.
Speaker 1: All right. So is this so is this decision to take a job in South Dakota Is it out of a mind Is it out of a scarcity mindset that you will not be able to find the job in North Dakota. That's that's in the field of.
Speaker 3: Law, almost scarcity. And also like like I almost like my confidence in myself to get more job offers. Yeah, it's not very good like interviews and stuff. I'm not really an interview guy. I feel like I'm more of a get to know me type guy, you know, rather than like a thirty minute hour meeting. Oh that was you know. So it's really the fear of going through the whole process again.
Speaker 1: Let's step back, Connor, what makes you happy? What's making you happy in life right now?
Speaker 3: What makes me happy? What makes me happy? That is a great question. You know. I do enjoy time with my friends, I play video games, I like concerts, But on a day to day thing, I really don't know what makes me happy.
Speaker 1: Okay, because there's there's I'm thinking about this in several ways. There's this whole idea of leaving your comfort zone and going to a new place evolves you as a human being, which is something I believe in a lot. But you're also going from North Dakota to South Dakota. So that's not the most I don't know if you're gonna have an eat prey love experience down in South Dakota in that, but it could, but it could evolve you as a human being in other ways because you're now challenged to make new friends. You're challenged to put yourself out there, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And the dude and like South Dakota, like like the dude from The Reverend that movie Leonardo DiCaprio acted in like he's from South Dakota. That happened in so like it's got cool things like that. And the Corn Palace I think is down there.
Speaker 1: Moving to South Dakota because it's where the revenue takes place and that's where the corn Palace is. That's that's a terrible reason to move.
Speaker 3: There's also fair almost.
Speaker 1: I honestly think a job. It's a terrible reason to move South Dakota. Sorry for the there's somebody in South Dakota who's listening to this that I'm upsetting.
Speaker 3: No, no one of one of the twenty of them.
Speaker 1: And also, okay, you mentioned too that you mentioned you mentioned too that if you if you move down there, that if you take the bar, that's like where you're settled at, right, because you can't you.
Speaker 3: Have forever forever, yeah, for like a half decade.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, all right, And you don't want to move there, you.
Speaker 3: Know, I'm fine with moving there. I'm fine that, like, like moving's not the issue, you know what I mean, it's just like the people. You know, I'm fine with moving there, but I'm not fine with leaving my friends too, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah? Sure, man? Well what's what? Well? What what the have you have? You even let me ask it? Have you even let's say, let's say you had two job offers for the same amount of money and one was in North Dakota, womans in South Dakota. You'd take the North Dakota one, right, Oh?
Speaker 3: I think I would?
Speaker 1: Actually you think you would. What do you want? What do you want out of life? Connor? Are you trying to expand your social circle and life experience? Outside of the the the Dakota's or are you really happy diving deeply into the existing social circle and existing experiences that you have. It's an important question.
Speaker 3: No, I know it sounds kind of vanilla, but almost the latter, because when I was younger of young, I'm on twenty five, but I used to like want to venture and like be like a private practice attorney and get a boat or something. But now I just kind of want to be like a humble like law professor who like goes hiking summers.
Speaker 1: Okay, go on, and I know, I I this is a tough question. Go on, indeed, go on LinkedIn, Go see what's go see if you can get a job in North Dakota.
Speaker 3: Okay, Okay, So maybe so maybe just you know, let that thirty first deadline slide a little bit.
Speaker 1: Maybe I would say, look, I'm not I can't tell you what to do, because yeah, no, of course, of course you can't tell you what. I can't tell you what. I can't tell you what to do, but I can tell you have some have some confidence in yourself that you're good enough at what you do that you can you can You'll be okay, Okay, okay.
Speaker 3: You know that. You know, my mom tells me that same thing all the time, but for some reason, coming from there to get go, it just sounds it hits way more home.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, confidence in myself. Don't just settle on the first job offer that was floated at me. Okay, all right, That's what I'm taking from this conversation.
Speaker 1: Okay, And I just want you to know if you fuck up your life because if anything I told you, remember that your mom said. Remember remember remember that your mom said it to you first, So blame her.
Speaker 2: I met.
Speaker 1: Okay, definitely connors anything.
Speaker 3: In a box. I won't come for a vendetta against you. Lyle.
Speaker 1: Is there anything you want to say to the people of the computer before we go?
Speaker 3: Oh? Man, people of the computer, just keep keep keep being you and you, if you're part of the Therapy Gecko family, you're probably a pretty chill person. And thank you guys for listening to me, and thank you Lyle for taking my call. It's it's it's been an honor, you know what.
Speaker 1: Fuck it, man, it's been an honor talking to you too. Good. Have fun in the dakotas man, go h go, for a walk.
Speaker 3: Hell yeah, I will. And you I know you probably have a PR team or something, but I'm gonna send you that picture of me and you at Bonnail and whether or not you actually see it or not.
Speaker 1: Wait, wait, what do you mean? What do you mean I have a PR like send it to my Instagram.
Speaker 3: Yes, I'm gonna send it to your Instagram.
Speaker 1: I do not have I think people think I have, like at a guy or something. It's me. I'm looking all that shit.
Speaker 3: Well, hopefully you see the picture and I and I will and I'll enjoy the rest of your stream tonight.
Speaker 1: All right, thank you, Connie, you have a good night.
Speaker 3: Thank you as well.
Speaker 1: Hey guys, it's Lyle here. I'm about to do some ad reads, but if you're a premium member of the podcast, you will not hear them. Premium members, or gek Legends as I like to call them, get access to every episode of this podcast ad free. They also get bonus episodes, recordings for my live shows, members only streams, and they support my ability to keep doing this show for a long time, do it in cooler, more interesting places, and also eat food, which is important. If any of that sounds cool to you, You can go to Therapy Gecko dot supercast dot com to become a gek legend, or find the link in the episode description. All right, let's do some ads.
Speaker 4: Paul from Jules.
Speaker 1: Hello, Hello, Hi Jules, How are you a hi?
Speaker 3: Good?
Speaker 1: How are you not much? What's going on? How can I get you today?
Speaker 4: Oh? I mean, what is your preferred method of gecking?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: Well, i'll rephrase the question. Is there anything in particular that you wanted to talk about today? It's okay?
Speaker 4: If not, No, you know, the one thing that is super on my mind is life after college and how much of a mess it could be?
Speaker 1: Are you in life after college?
Speaker 4: I am graduating in twenty two.
Speaker 1: Graduated in twenty two, okay, and what are your observations thus far?
Speaker 4: Well, it's a time I went to school for theater. So it's not something where it's like, yes, I know, I'm going to have something like right out the door, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Okay? So you graduated in twenty two, and what have you been doing since then?
Speaker 4: Well, I moved to a new city literally like a year ago around this time I've been I moved here because I was, you know, trying to make it as an actor. But when I first sit here, I started as an English tutor for elementary kids. Didn't like the nine to five aspects of it. It didn't really give me time to really do the theater as much as I thought it would. And then I got a job as at a bakery and not baking, just selling the stuff, and I actually put in my two weeks for that the other day, and today I had my first training for a waitress job. So I've done a few shows in between that. But other than that, I'm just trying to make money, but I'm not doing good at saving it.
Speaker 1: And you live you live in New York.
Speaker 4: I actually live in Philadelphia. I'm from New Jersey, like close to New York, but I live in Philly.
Speaker 1: Now, did you go to school in Philly?
Speaker 4: No, I went to school in South Jersey.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, Philly. Philly is a great city. Man. Are you so? Are you? Are you still pursuing acting?
Speaker 4: I am, yeah, okay?
Speaker 1: How are you making stuff on the internet?
Speaker 4: No, that's not my school? Really just live theater. I'm trying to get involved in like student films and do some like volunteer non paid stuff just to like get in front of a camera or get on a stage and make connections and whatnot.
Speaker 1: And what what is like in that? I don't I don't know much about the live theater universe. Is the goal to like get get in some kind of like touring show or something like that, Like what's the what are the jobs in that?
Speaker 4: Well, you know, there's a lot of ways that you people can make it happen. I recently got I had a conversation with someone who works for like the National Theater Children to Theater for children and they do tours and like the greater Philadelphia area. But it's not it. He was the guy that I talked to was like, you should submit another time because it seems to give a lot going on. I actually like, don't have a specific like goal. I just want to do it.
Speaker 1: Cool, Well that's all. That's uh, that's fun, that's good. That's better than having a specific goal. I think just wanting to do it. It's a better having a specific goal because you're gonna have a because you'll be happy or just wanting to do it than being like if I don't do this, then I'll I'm going to have to die. Right, Okay, are you like what what else are you.
Speaker 2: Are you.
Speaker 1: Any other specific stuff about post grad life that you wanted to you wanted to touch on in your.
Speaker 4: Experience, you know what, I'm struggling a lot with, Like, since moving to Silly, my biggest issue has been like needing people and making friends and keeping my those relationships that I've made in college that I assumed would continue after college, you know what I mean, and they're just not do those people?
Speaker 1: Where do those people live? Do they live outside of Philadelphia?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Outside, but like my where I went to school is literally like twenty twenty five minutes away, so it's like not that far. And I've tried to reach out, tried to you know, keep up with it, but it's just not being reciprocated. And then I'm sitting here, like what did I do to not have this friendship? Keep going?
Speaker 1: Do you have friends in Philadelphia?
Speaker 4: No, I've had like a hard I don't know. I've had a hard time, I guess like branching out and meeting people. Like I live with two roommates, one of them I went to school with, and like, I'm pretty good friends with my roommates, so like that's a plus, but we all have different lifestyles and you know, like it's ours. Our paths don't always intertwine.
Speaker 1: Mm, I'm thinking about this. I'm having a hard time making friends too. I'm thinking about it.
Speaker 4: That's like, you know, I you know, I joined bumble DFF and I put in my big My sister suggested I do that, and I put in my bio. Like, I have a really hard time connecting with people over the phone or like through a screen, so it'd be great to like grab drinks or like get coffee or something. And nobody seems like interested in doing that. And so like I got a few messages that are like, I know it's hard, but like we can make it work. So like I'm trying to take the steps to meet people.
Speaker 1: Well you're well, you're in acting, and I feel as though there's a lot of different clubs, and I mean, why don't you join a fucking sketch comedy group or something like that? True in that in that whole vain. Yeah, I'm gonna you know, I'm gonna give you a specific suggestion. I don't usually do that. Usually meander, uh, go join go, do fucking go get involved in improv and sketch. In Philadelphia, go to Fit. You know what FIT is. I don't know if it's still around. No Fit p H I T. I do not know if it's still around. They might have closed with the pandemic. But if it is, go check it out to the Philadelphia Improv Theater Philadelphiladelphia was all this great sketch and improv going on, and it's really just people who go and fuck around on the stage for five minutes and then get drunk afterwards. So it's a good place to make friends that go look into that. That's what I That's how I made friends when I was in Philadelphia was through stand up And it was cool because you could because you could go there and there would be it felt like cheers. Man, you go to an open mic and even though you suck and stuff like, you know, you know everybody, it's fun. It's good. It's a good time. Yeah, there's all these scenes in Philadelphia and if whoever's listened to this in cities around the world, so go find a scene. Because you know, this whole thing of of trying to keep up all these individual friendships that are all over the place, it's fucking hard. So you know, try to get involved in a scene of some kind of you're in the absolute most perfect place and then a perfect city to go do that, so, you know, go on Facebook and search fucking improv group or just or sit at home alone and never talk to anybody again.
Speaker 4: That's yeah, you know, it's nothing wrong with an easy route, right, And that's like what I do now. But the most like what I've what I've been telling myself constantly is like, you know, you've got to just do it. And like, I don't know. I was talking about my friends and he said, like, if you just show up, just show your face, see what happens. You don't have to say anything. You just have to be there, see what the vibe is, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Jade, Is there anything else you want to say to the people of the computer before we go?
Speaker 4: I want to say Yolo.
Speaker 1: You know, people people look at the word. I think Yolo has this brand of being vapid, but it's really deep, you know what. You know what the phrase of you know, the phrase of memento mori means no remember death. I think that's what it means. I don't know, but it's like, why is momento moury? Why is that some cool Roman thing that book. People say, but Yolo is stupid. They mean the same thing, So I'm with.
Speaker 4: You, Yolo.
Speaker 1: Thanks for calling Jade.
Speaker 4: Yeah that's Jules, but thank you. Sorry forever, Okay, Jeel Cever, have a great night.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. I don't have any friends either.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: The repeat Kid goes on the line, thinking of phone calls every night. The repeat Kid goes to on his eye. He's teaching you a loud live your life, but he's not really an expert.