Speaker 1: Hi, everybody. Welcome to another edition of Packers Unscripted from Packers dot Com. I am Mike Spaffer, joint as always by my partner and Everything Packers, Wes Hodkowitz. We're coming to you here from the Potawatomy Sportsbook studio inside the walls of lambeau Field and Wes, continuing our discussion of OTAs since our last show. We had an opportunity to watch practice locker room interviews after that practice another day of locker room interviews on Wednesday, So all kinds of stuff to talk about, and I think it starts first and foremost with Michael Parsons. He spoke with the media after practice. He's obviously not practicing, but he gave an update on where things are. There's a story on packers dot com if you want to check that out for all the details there, but we'll talk about it here as well. Basically, Parsons is looking at this as he's got five months down, he's got four months left to go, and but he's he's willing to be patient, as difficult as it is, but he's willing to be patient to get everything right before he's back on the field.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was such a mature response from Micah too, and I really enjoyed the story you wrote on Packers dot com. You can check that out for all the details. But this is it's about legacy, it's about winning championships and as important as the month of September is, Micah understands, especially for a guy when you when you're dealing with multiple ACL injuries and dealing with significant stuff like obviously with he had the meniscus as well, as he said, you know kind of factored into that, right. You just have to be mindful of the process and understand, Okay, there's probably a nine month window there where you want to make sure the day that he steps back out on the field, the day that he runs out of that tunnel at lambeau Field or wherever it happens, that he is ready to contribute in a major way and there's no risk of reaggravation, reinjury setbacks. And to have that kind of viewpoint, I think is just really important right now because the Packers every they want to win a championship in twenty twenty six, twenty twenty seven. This is the window that they've played for, and Mike understands the role that he has in that so his focus has been set on getting back as quickly as healthy as possible, but also still being the same Micah Parson as he was in Denver the day that he went out. So always fun to listen to him. Obviously, when when Micah Parsons speaks, everybody in the football world listens. And for the Packers, I think it's gonna be great for them too, because in that interim, let's say he does start on pupp Let's say he's out the first month of the season. All hypotheticals, but let's say that's how it plays out. That's where it does come on Lucas Vans, Baron Surrell, the rest of those edge rushers to kind of stem the tide and step up and really show, Okay, when Micah is back in the lineup, who are gonna be the guys running alongside him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And he expressed all kinds of confidence in the defensive line, kind of holding down the fort until he got it's back, talking both about the interior guys as well as the edge rushers. I mean, we've heard him talk many times. You know how how impressed he's been with DeVante Wyatt and and you know, he was Wyatt's injury happened last year before Parsons did, and he was he was really bummed out when Dy went down. So he's excited for Wyatt to get back. He's very excited for what Lucas van Ness can do, with van Ness having dealt with a couple of different injuries the last couple of years. So there's a lot to look forward to there. And I think as much as at least what I heard is Micah is sort of trying to convince himself to enjoy this recovery rehab process, and it's not easy, but he does seem to enjoy the time that he does get with his teammates and just being able to you know, I mean it it brightens some of those drab rehab days, right when you're around the guys and you know, they get to talk about him coming back at some point and maybe some celebrations are going to do on the field or whatever the case might be, and and that's when you sort of see the smile return to his face a little bit. And and yeah, I mean, this is a this is a tough deal, and this is a premiere Hall of Fame trajectory player who's never gone through anything like this before and he's figuring out how to deal with it. And but the one thing he said is that he's he's just doing everything he can to come back better than ever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in my verbiage there, I kind of muddled what I was trying to say in terms of like the way our training staff, the way the Packers' training staff approaches that nine month window of no football, and that comes from multiple ACL injuries that they've dealt with in the past, whether you go back to Jordi Nelson, some of the other guys that have been involved in this thing, and that process of when you get these guys back out on the field. It is about not just today and this season. It's about the longevity of the career. And I think again for Micah being at the point that he is as young as he is to be the player that he's been in the league, I mean, it just shows that, uh, that that long term viewpoint of understanding what his value is to this football team and what it means for him to be on the field. You can look at it just from those last five weeks of the season, right the Green Bit Packers did not win a football game without Micah Parsons right at the end of the year. Now, there was a lot of other guys involved with that too, whether it was Tucker Kraft, whether it was Devonte Wyatt.
Speaker 1: And there were opportunities to win games, clearly.
Speaker 2: There were, so for for Mica being able to do this is gonna be is gonna be cool to see. And as you said, I think there was an energy in an uptick this week just having him back in the building and understanding what his contribution is this football team beyond even the field. And he's done a lot of interviews in the last couple of weeks too, where he's spoken in some of these podcasts he's done where he's talked about it's this is his home now, Like it's not just Okay, well I got traded to Green Bay and I'm you know, this is just where I work. I Mean, he's really embraced this. He's embraced the community's embraced this organization, and he understands and appreciates how the view him.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: I mean, one thing Michael wanted everybody focused so much on the contract and long term security and everything when he was in Dallas, but it was also about the need and the want to be included, to be viewed as a face of the franchise. And I think since the very moment that that piece of paper came across the NFL's offices desks, Michael Parsons has definitely been that Green Bay and he appreciates that role.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And just to explain the timeline, so he had the surgery on his knee on December twenty ninth, and so the nine months of no football, which of course there's a lot of rehab conditioning, and you know there's a ramp up to running full speed and doing everything you would do on the football field, but you're just not actually practicing against other guys yet. You know, we saw Christian Watson go through that, We're going to see Tucker Kraft go through that, you know, and as you mentioned, Jordan Nelson, all these other guys over the years we've seen it. The nine months would put him at late September YEP for the potential return to the practice field. So then you're thinking, Okay, gets a couple of weeks of practice, and so I think we're probably looking at you know, mid October, give or take as far as when he can be back in game action as long as everything these next four months goes as well as the first five and everything that Micah has said, he's very happy with where things are at. And man, he's expecting he's expecting the timeline to be you know pretty much.
Speaker 2: That it's just wild to watch. I mean, and part of it is the technology aspect of it in social media. But I mean these videos too, I'm sure you've seen them by now of Tucker you know, and some of the stuff that he's doing behind the scenes. I mean, Tucker Craft looks like he is ready for a fight on Saturday. I mean, he looks like he is in as good as shape as he's ever been. But certainly it's it's about understanding what your timeline is in running the race for and only for yourself. Yeah, and if you do that well, it'll help the football team. If you do that well, you'll be back on in front of the spotlight. And it's just unfortunate, man. I Mean, I've always I've said the story before on the podcast before over the years, but you know, I go back to Mike McCarthy right after Jordan Nelson had the ACL tear in twenty fifteen, in saying, I mean the way that this game works. If you look at the law averages, pretty much every team has two three ACL tears a year. It's just a matter of where they happen. Right. Sometimes it ends up being your backup guard. Sometimes it ends up being one of your guys on special teams, and unfortunate occasionally it's maybe two of the best four players on your entire football team. As it relates to Tucker Craft and Michael Parsons. So all that being said, the second half run is what this thing's going to be about, and the Packers need to win games, and need to win all the games if they can do it during that time in which Micah Parsons is not available at the beginning of the season. But be that as it may, it's about that push. And we certainly saw Mike with him not having a training camp here, with him dealing with some injuries in Dallas and not having a full compliment of reps even before he got traded to Green Bay, how he was able to jump in, yeah, and assimilate to this defense and become within a matter of weeks the focal point of that defense is still one of the most impressive things I think I've seen in my time covering the Packers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's a high impact player. Anytime his cleats touched the field, There's no doubt about that, and we'll be looking forward to when that happens this fall, shifting gears to practice observations and the guys that we did see on the field. On our last show, we talked about a couple of the rookies who we saw rotating in with the first unit, Brandon Ceesay Chris mcclellen on defense. So we need to mention another one that we saw on Tuesday at practice, and that's offensive lineman Jagger Burton, the fifth round pick out of Kentucky. Now this comes with you know, the little bit of the caveat that you know, Zach tom is out, Jacob Monk is out, Donovan Jennings is out, so you know, the Packers are not at full strength on the offensive line by any means. But we saw Burton getting rotated in at guard with the number one offensive line as some things are being shuffled around. But you know, some different different groups and different combinations in front of Jordan Love in practice, as we talked about on our last show, that's that says something. When a rookie draft pick is getting an opportunity to uh to take reps with the first unit, whatever the circumstances are, it's something to pay attention to.
Speaker 2: You have to get it. You have to get an offensive line out there, and you have to have players that are gonna be protecting your quarterback. And for Burton to get that assignment I think is really critical right now. I think it's key and it also speaks to where Green Bay fields he is right now, because yes, they're they're missing a lot of their top in line guys, but there are other options. You know, there are other dudes that are back from last year's roster and they want to take an extended look at Jager Burton in these instances. Now, again it's not in pads. You're not getting bull rushed the way you will you know in a that regular season game or even in a training camp. But that being said, it's about getting those reps. It's about understanding and working with Jordan Love and seeing what he's like and what he's looking for. And the other thing I think is really critical too for Burton working back at guard. Again, this is a guy that has that background of being a center. I think the Packers drafted him thinking, Okay, this could be a guide, we could develop it develop at center. But how many times over the years, Michael, have we seen it where somebody like Zach Tom was kind of viewed as a center and next thing you know, he's your franchise right tackle and unanimously undisputedly the number one guy in your offensive line and one of the top players on your football team. You have to take the opportunity with when it's there and how it presents itself. David Baktiari did Corey Linsley, did JC Tretder did so for Burton. All this matters. All these reps are important, and I think it's cool for him to being able to actually extend himself again. And obviously he played multiple positions at Kentucky, but he finished out at center and there could be a very good chance that his rookie season the NFL, he doesn't touch the ball once at center. You just got to go out there and kind of see how the cards get dealt to you.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Also on the offensive side, Josh Jacobs, Packers number one running back. He was practicing while his legal situation plays out. There's really been no update as far as that legal situation, so we'll see what happens there. But it was good to see him out there on the practice field. And I think this brought a smile to both of our faces because as we've talked a lot about everything that's happened in the receiver room with the Packers, Romeo Dobbs leaves in free agency, D'antavian Wis gets traded. There's kind of this clear pecking order now as far as the top three ye Christian Watson, Jayden Reid, Matthew Golden. Then you have another draft pick from last year, saving on Williams right behind. But then don't sleep on bow Melton right because suddenly it practice on Tuesday. Three times Jordan Love is taking a shot downfield, deep downfield to bow Melton. Then two of the three he's the throw is on target, He's able to make the play, get behind the defense. Bo Melton is going to help this team in some way, shape or form in twenty twenty six. He's not going to be on anybody's list of the top twenty five players on this roster. That's not going to happen. But Bo Melton is going to help this team because that's what he does.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it's guys like Bou Melton that a couple times year are going to end up winning you a football game. The guys that maybe aren't the ones that are pulling down the big contract or having the billboards, you know, put up with their image on it, but the guys that are going to step up and play in Phil Roles and you know, certainly we've talked for years now, regardless of whether he's in the receiver room or the dB room. You know, bo is one of the top special teams players on the squad. And I've reiterated this countless times now, but I mean when you go back to looking at the flyer position, he's one of the best that have done it during my time covering this team. I think I put him the same conversation with Jared Bush, and I put him out there with Jeff Janis. Those are probably the.
Speaker 1: Those were the two guys. Those were the two guys I was going to say as well. He's very very reminiscent of those guys in terms of his effectiveness at that position.
Speaker 2: And what I appreciate about what the Packers have done with this philosophy with special teams is understanding, Okay, these are our starters on special teams. Where else do we play them on the offense and defensive side of the ball. Last year, let's just be honest, there wasn't going to be a great opportunity for Bo to play in that receiver room. There just wasn't too many guys, too many draft picks. That was going to be a hard ladder to climb, even with some of the injuries that they were dealing with. So they got a little creative. They had them try out the cornerback position, just see what happens. You know you're going to have him on special teams. You know you can throw them in at receiver if you need to. What else can you do to keep them busy? And that was something they looked at ultimately with the changes they made. As much as we focused on Matthew Golden and Savion Williams and what the trade of Dontavian Wicks and the departure of Romeo Adaps what it meant for those second year players, it also meant something for bow Melton too. And you want to talk about a guy being the heartbeat of your football team. Right, those are the two biggest plays we saw in practice, those two deep balls. The way that the offense, not the guys on the field, the guys on the sideline responded to that moment, right, it tells you everything you need to know about Bow Melton, the player he is, the person he is, and what his value and meaning is to this football team and me personally. I miss seeing eighty out there. I think that was the greatest little bow eighty you know, kind of way to mess around with the jersey number. But number sixteen is pretty cool too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he wears He certainly wears it well. And for everything that you said about what was going on at receiver for the Packers last year, and you know, kind of a tough lineup for bow Meltin to crack. But he's catching a forty five yard touchdown pass against the Chicago Bears at Lambell Field to put the Packers at that time, you know, to help win that game and put the Packers in first place. So that's that's Bo. And I just know we're gonna we're going to see a play or plays like that at some point this year. A couple other thoughts I want to get to but first let's hear quick word from our sponsor, Serious XM. NFL Radio delivers hard hitting analysis and up to the minute NFL news that true football fanatics need. Twenty four to seven, three sixty five. Welcome back to Packers unscripted, Wes. I want to get your thoughts here because for the first time we heard from veteran linebacker Zayir Alexander, first time that he's spoken to the media since coming to Green Bay. I was not a part of kind of the media scrum in front of his locker, but I know that you were, so I'd like to get your impressions of just what you thought of what you thought of Franklin and and kind of how things lay out for him in his new home.
Speaker 2: I'm going to talk a ton about Zayire Franklin here in a second, because there's a lot to discuss in just listening to some of the veterans in the locker room talk about them already, you can tell the type of aura this guy has, the type of leadership he has, in the type of player he has. But I'm going to say this, there is years where Packers did not sign a lot of free agents, so the guys that they bring in would usually be like more in that twenty five to thirty player range, right, They're going to be competing at various spots or you know, the draft picks themselves. The coolest thing about this era when Brian Goodekuntz has signed guys and brought them in is having a chance to get to know them a little bit the first time, getting a chance to talk to him. And I'll tell you this, Michael, all these years I've been doing this Zaire Franklin, Javon Hargrave, and then also Tyrod Taylor talking at the end of locker Room on Wednesday, when you match up the players they are and what the Packers are looking for on the field with you know what Brian Goudikunk in his scouts thought of these guys in terms of their personalities and what they bring off the field. It's just really impressive. Right. Zaire is a guy that was a former seventh round pick. I mean, you want to talk about a dude that has climbed the depth chart from the very bottom. As he said in his interview with US, he knows what it's like to try to make a roster. He was an All Pro linebacker, one of the highest paid guys at his position, and at one point in his career he wasn't even guaranteed a spot on the fifty three. Yeah, you don't see that a lot. When he's day and age. You get drafted in the firs one hundred and twenty picks, you're basically on the roster already. And for him to have that type of perspective and how he can relate to really anybody on the roster, I think is really important. And then listen to Tyrod Taylor as well, and just the way he speaks, the calm and his voice, the composure, the wisdom. This is a guy that Aaron Rodgers in our five Things story that I wrote a couple months back on him, how Aaron Rodgers just spoke glowingly about what it was like to have him with him in that room and to have that perspective at that juncture of his career. You can only imagine what that's going to do for Jordan Love now, having a guy that has much like Franklin had to scratch, had to claw. Former six round pick won a Super Bowl in year two, but hasn't been back since when he was backing up Joe Flacco in Baltimore. He started, he was a three year starter, a guy that ended up getting a contract to be the franchise quarterback of the Buffalo Bills. And now he here, he is at thirty seven years old, being able to bring that wisdom, being able to bring that experience to the room with Jordan Love. That's the coolest thing about this year when you get to when you get to see these guys and I understand these guys I've talked for a really long time. I'm gonna throw it back to you. There's plenty to talk about what Zion Franklin as a linebacker that I think is going to add to this defense. But just being able to have a little bit of infusion of that veteran leadership now I think is going to go a long way for this football team.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and just seeing seeing some of Franklin's comments, my my first impression is is this guy is a realist.
Speaker 2: Realist.
Speaker 1: I mean he because he was pretty much and he's pretty much asked point blank like Okay, you know you've been in this league for a while, but Indianapolis wasn't interested in keeping you around anymore. You know what do you have left, like what's left in the tank? Right? And he knows those questions are out there, like he you know, it's it's it's not like he you know, bristles or gets all defensive about like he understands. You know, you you start to get at his age, at his position, a position that takes a physical pounding because you're you know, you're racking up one hundred and fifty tackles a year or whatever the numbers are. So he knows, he knows those questions are out there, and and and he's his response is just I'm I'm gonna be me. I believe, I believe I've got plenty left. There's a reason the packers were interested in bringing me here. And and you know, I I you know, the whole chip on the shoulder thing is is you know, overused. But but he knows, he knows he has something to prove. And uh, but he's okay with it, you know. I guess that's that's where I say the realist, the realist part comes in and and uh, it's it's pretty cool, as you said, talking about the different perspective that he has had throughout his career. That perspective for you know, coming from a veteran, is is refreshing and need to see.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I want to really mention too. You know, he's twenty nine years old, he's he's bordering on thirty. But do you know who turned thirty during the year in which the Tampa Bay Buccaneers top alled the Green Bay Packers Super Bowl hopes Levonte Levante David and Levante David just retired right now this offseason, thirty six. Yeah, and he had already at that point been a few years removed from his all pro years, and he paired up in that defense and became, you know, the focal point of that thing and went on. When you talk about those Buccaneer defenses, not just the year they won the Super Bowl, but the ones that followed. What he was able to do and how he evolved his game is what kept him at the top. I view Franklin in the same light right now. The aggressiveness you expect that. You know, he said it himself. I mean, he is a dog. He's gonna be in the fray. He's is I think even say he's like, I'm gonna be looking to cause issues out there. I mean, he's not backing down from anybody. But at the same time, he understands what this job requires and how he's going to be looked to be a leader. He's going to be looked to be a communicator. He did joke about the fact that it's a little bit different right now for him. It's weird to be the new guy in the building. He's asking where the bathrooms are at lambeau Field, you know, those sort of questions. But to listen to Zabra McKinney talk about him and Javon Bullard, I mean, this guy's reputation preceded him coming to Green Bay. They knew that they were getting an NFL Walter Payton Man of the Year nominee and a team captain. But the way that people there is a Mercedes Lewis type vibe with him. That people they gravitate towards him. And the thing that I think is the coolest of all he is so geeked and geared up to work with Edrin Cooper. He said as soon as he ended up getting traded at Green Bay, he was watching Cooper's film. He knew him, he saw him, yeah, but he wanted to study him. At that point and he thinks and that he was even asked what his first app was A Cooper, He's like that guy's big, you know, like in Lavante's you know, he goes at six feet and Edrin's obviously a taller, leaner linebacker. But those two guys together, we've seen it. Mike the linebacker. You have to have a good linebacker core in the NFL right now if you're gonna play as much Nichol as you have to play, and.
Speaker 1: They're asked to do so much out there.
Speaker 2: For sure, the Packers feel like they got a pretty good comment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And from a personal standpoint, I got the impression that Franklin appreciates being wanted here in Green Bay and he doesn't want to let the Packers down, the faith that the Packers have shown in him where he is in his career. He he doesn't want to let anybody down.
Speaker 2: I don't want to read this quote quick. I don't. I don't. I think it's the first time ever read a quote off. But I mean you you pointed out to me after I wrote our little five things story this week, But this was Avier McKinney's comment on he's like hell of a player, hell of a person. He's a guy too. From a leadership standpoint, He's really going to help us from that aspect. And then obviously the play speaks for itself. There's more to go along with that. But I just feel like when you thought about the Packers, not that they don't have good leadership, they've had good leadership, but when you have those guys that everybody points to is Okay, he's wearing the communication headset, you know, all that type of stuff that's gonna be important. But when everybody, not just the linebackers, not just the defensive front, everybody is focused in on that guy, I think that's when special things can happen on defenses. I think when you think it doesn't have to be linebackers, you think back to Charles Woodson right in O nine and ten and how he was the force on that defense. I think there's a vibe with this guy man. I think it's special. And the fact that the Packers wanted him for so long. It's not just like, Okay, we're losing kway Walker. What are we gonna do? Who are we gonna get? Packers have been trying to get this dude four years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the familiarity with Jonathan Gannon now just sort of is a bonus to that, right, because this is a guy the Packers have had their eye on, They've they've been interested in bringing him in, and now he's here. You know, they made the decision they weren't going to offer the big contract to quay Walker, and they get they get an older veteran player at a much more palatable price, but a guy that they feel can be a leader and and be right in the middle of it every snap.
Speaker 2: And it's just it's also about being cognizant of where your roster is and how things are going to move too. This doesn't have to be about Okay, well they didn't want quay Walker. No, you got Edrin Cooper coming up here. You got another year of Edrin Cooper on his rookie deal, and then we're going to be talking about extensions with him.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: You always have to kind of have that forward looking vision. And I think for this team, this time, this place, I think Franklin is that guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, well, with that, we will call it a rap on this edition of Packers Unscripted. Be sure to follow all of our coverage of Packers OTAs and then next week is Mini Camp will have some more unscripted shows for you and lots more discussion coming up then. But for now for WES, I am Mike, thank you for tuning in everybody, We will see you next time.