Speaker 1: The guys from Ping.
Speaker 2: They've kind of showed me how much the equipment matters. I just love that I can hit any shot I kind of want.
Speaker 1: We're gonna be able to tell some fun stories about what goes on here to help golfers play better golf.
Speaker 2: What is up, everybody? It is the Ping Proving Grounds Podcast. Shane Bacon alongside Marty Jerts and Marty We are going to dive deep into iron fitting today. We talked so much about fitting and the importance of it on this podcast, but we wanted to kind of dive a little deeper into just the ideas, the semantics, basically everything you need to know and more when you're thinking about getting fit for irons.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean irons are important, Shane. I mean this is your scoring clubs. You get that ball close to the whole, depend on your skill level. Proximity of the whole super important. How much they spin, how much stopping power they have, the turf interaction, how they look and feel, how much height, left, right, bias, shafts, I mean, lengths, color codes. Let's dive in.
Speaker 2: Well, Marty, is this the most currently the most amount of selection a golfer would have in terms of irons that Ping offers.
Speaker 1: Is this the most uh for sure, Shane. I mean I always like to do that thought experiment of back when Ping was just had I two's, like it was I two's for Calcavecia, and it was I twos for you. And now now we have h we have the entire spectrum. I mean, blueprint t's those things scare me. They're a little too small for me. But you know, if you're you know, they're uh, they're they're they're an important part of our ecosystem. And then we got all the way to the other end of the spectrum with our brand new G seven forties, very wide soul, very forgiving. So yes, this is indeed the most diverse iron offering that we've ever had in our in our ecosystem.
Speaker 2: Here I was thinking about it. I have three sets of irons in my bag currently, so I've got idi I currently are playing two iron and the four iron in my bag. I've got I five forty five iron, then I got blueprint s up until the wedge and then I go into the Ping wedge is basically forty six degree on So I mean, I guess you could in theory say that's four different options.
Speaker 1: That's four when you count.
Speaker 2: Well. I mean my bag is eclectic. I'll say that in terms of what I put it in my bag. And I like that. I like being able to kind of, uh, you know, interchange what I want to play dependent on the link and the loft and things like that.
Speaker 1: So you got the idi for Idi Fouri and is a sleeper out there. I'm hitting that too, and I absolutely love it. Has this been treating you well?
Speaker 2: Oh? I mean it's you know, I do love the fact that I can hit it off tease when I need to. You know, I like the idea that it maybe gets a little more distance there, but the fact that you could take a little loft. I don't always feel like that's been the case with the quote unquote driving Iron you know game, and I feel like it's a shot like I hit it into a par three the other day, you know, and wasn't scared that it was gonna you know, if I hit it good, it was gonna just fly everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it keeps the spin on there. So definitely, I think for players that have a have a bit of speed, but you're looking for a little more height, take a look at the idea for it. It keeps the spin on there and I think that's what you and I are liking about it.
Speaker 2: Can you take us through kind of the history of the color coding at paying, because I mean, this is not something new to this company. This has been something that's been around what for fifty sixty years?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, our company founder Carson Solheim. I mean, he wanted to democratize club fitting. He wanted to make it available to everybody. What tour players could do to tweak the lengths and shafts and grips and line goals and color codes and builds, he wanted to pass that to the everyday golfer. It's still what we're trying to do today. And so what he did something very interesting. He came up with this, which is he was trying to figure out you know, in the beginning of custom fitting, nobody knew kind of how to get started or what to do, or any correlations or patterns. So he measured folks, all kinds of different measurements of folks, their height, their arm lengths, their different biometrics, and he came up with the system where if hey, if somebody, he put the height on one axis and then the wrist a floor when he had folks kind of stand and kind of hang, relax and measure there there which is a proxy for your arm length, which is a little bit of a proxy for kind of your wingspan. And he found that folks hit the best club in their bag. He asked him, what's the best club in their bag? Then he measured it. Then he plotted folks, and he put it on a corkboard and different colors. He used different color pins on this corkboard right in terms of what the lingel was on their clubs. And sure enough, he used these different colors for different lingels in the color code chart literally emerged from his measurements on a corkboard. And that's the origin story of the color code chart, in the origin of really just being able to use that as the foundation of custom fitting. We still use it today.
Speaker 2: You think about a corkboard, and now you have something like web fit that you can use online. I know we talk so much about doing your homework before you go get fit, but what's the importance for players to maybe go online and do some homework before they go get it A full fitting for irons?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so, Shane, I mean I think a lot of our customers out there, they hear you and I talk about co pilot, and that's a tool that our fitters use and where we've passed along a version of copilot to our customers through a series of tools that are right on our website. We just did redid our website looks beautiful. Go on there, click on fitting and find our webfit tools. And before you go in for your iron fitting, go through our webfit. We call our webfit full bag. It's our whole fitting process. And this helps customers in two different ways. One, it's going to educate them regardless of where you are, whether it's advanced player, maybe maybe somebody intimidated by the fitting process just getting into the game, asking yourself questions am I good enough to get fit? Go through webfit because it'll give you a little overview of what the fitting process is going to be like. It doesn't replace the fitting process on a monitor with an expert, but it will help educate you, help you, give you some questions you should ask, and it'll narrow your options down before you go in for a fitting. So, because we have six different iron models out there and all kinds of different options, this helps narrow it down into one or two main options and kind of like a playing a practice round for your fitting. That's the way I like to think about all of our webfit tools.
Speaker 2: I mean I think about ego a lot in terms of getting fit for golf clubs, because you know, you come in with a certain idea of what you want to play, right. I mean, you could go, I'm gonna be a blueprint guy. I want to be two forty guy. There is so many options. Like what's the importance of just golfers coming in, like leaving their ego at the door and just feeling like, let me, let me get fit for what's going to make the most sense to my golf game.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, I'm giggling a little bit shamee because I had a friend colleague of mine come in, travel in from out of town, come to the proving grounds and he sent me like a novel before he came in. He's like, this is what I need. I need these wedges and these shafts and this swingway in this grind. I'm like, hey, why do you need to come in?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, So yeah, it was a great I think example, I think of somebody coming in with kind of a mindset of Okay, I'm pretty you know I want this, and he left with things totally different. A few of the things we did, indeed do he was spot on I think on his his grind, on his lob wedge and what iron model. But he ended up in a totally different shaft, different different color code than he was coming in with, even a different grip then he was coming in with. We did a split of it with his long as Iron and id I a little bit differently. So absolutely, be very open minded because we have very different offerings now then we used to. I think the IDI for is a great example. You know, some of our previous crossover type clubs, very low spin might not be able to keep the ball near and be able to hit the soft cut into the greens. Now our four IDI does that. So we're always looking at solving those problems, kind of evolving what our clubs and our offerings do. So, yeah, being open minded going to the fitting process is a beautiful thing. I had my own personal experience with this lately. I was hitting a shaft we're looking at for a stock offering, and a lot of times in our player testing will paint the shafts black, so you don't know, there's no brand, interesting model designition. I love fitting that way where you know the product is actually blind to you. So it's a great way to do shaft fitting. And I ended up kind of experimenting with that scheft because I didn't even know what it was, but I knew I hit it really good in our player testing.
Speaker 2: What about like launch monitor information? So the data you get out of a launch monitor, what are you looking at? What is a fitter looking at? What does a player need to know in terms of what's coming out of a launch monitor to maybe help them fit into the right iron?
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, I think a good way for maybe consumers or fitters to think about a launch monitor is you got club delivery characteristics. Okay, these can be things like angle of attack, swing direction, path, dynamic loft. That's kind of things you're doing with your body movements to inform the delivery of the club. Then you have the impact of what's happening during the impact interval on the golf ball. That's ultimately what matters. That's ball speed, launch, spin, spin axis. Then you have the results of how that manifests itself in the trajectory. This is peak height, carry distance, land angle. All of those things also Shane very very important have a certain spread or consistency level to them. So some of these things we really want to tighten up. We want to tighten up your for example, your spin consistency and on a launch monitor that's your plus or minus of spin or your stat area or the latest track Man TPS software. In our pink co Pilot we assign a strokes gain score, which can be super valuable. So that being said, there's a lot of metrics, but you don't want to do data overload. The primary ones kind of to look at. We use our ball speed, launch spin and then spin axis or side spin depending on your launch monitor, and then we want to look at where of those do we need one to tighten the consistency. Right, So there's the average metrics, then there's the repeatability or consistency, and those are the core ones. With irons we want to get you. We really care about your carry distance but also your stopping power. So a lot of our tools that we build with pink Copilot are to help evaluate what is the right spin rate for you, And that's an unanswered question by a lot of fitters out there even is what is a good spin rate in your irons? The common thing we've talked about in the past is a lot of people are like a thousand times the club number is good, right, seven iron, seven thousand spin. That is not the case because if you don't have a lot of speed, you're not going to be able to generate that backspin. And so we have great tools in Copilot with our stopping power app and things of that nature help assess how much spin is appropriate for you and where you're playing your golf.
Speaker 2: Goes back to the IDI four iron conversation, right, the fact that now you can in theory, get more spin with a club like that we're back in the day it would just come out like a Tim Wakefield knuckleball or something. Right, just come out with no spin and just go forever. We've talked a lot about the options in terms of irons. Can you kind of walk us through the irons like all the offerings of ping has and maybe what they do for the golfer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely, let's kind of maybe treat it as I like thinking about our irons in terms of where the player brings the speed, so our player's irons. This is Blueprint T Blueprint S I two forty. Primarily you want to think about, Okay, you the player are bringing the speed to the table. Then within that, within that window, we have small, medium, large, So the Blueprint T smaller heel toe length and when you when you reduce that blade length, you're gonna be able. It's more like a sports car or maybe you have a car with adjustable steering settings and one's gonna be a little tighter, right, You're gonna be able to manipulate the ballfight, control the face better. If you're a bit more of a shot maker. Your impact stat area, I like to say it, with Blueprint t's you got to earn it. You got to qualify to play those irons. Your impact stature needs to be pretty tight. Now with a shorter blade length iron, they're also going to turn over easier. And that's one other thing that's pretty interesting on irons. So if somebody likes to draw the ball a little bit more, shorter blade length is gonna help with that. Then we go to Blueprint as we'll call that kind of medium sized. That's the iron I play personally, give me a little more forgiveness, very high MOI a little wider soul in terms of the bounce to it, and then we go to I two forty a little bit longer blade length there as well generates a little bit more spin. Those irons also have different launch conditions, So the T is gonna go the lowest generally S is gonna launch and spin a little bit more. To forty is going to go a little bit higher. So we have kind of different sizes along with different trajectories. Each of those irons has a different bounce profile. I would say one thing about the blueprint, as is fun to think about, is that we pretty much modeled the soul and the turf interaction after the S fifty five iron, Right, So a lot of a lot of cult following to the S fifty five, The blueprint S has the exact same turf interaction soul. If you're kind of coming from that iron or used to like that iron.
Speaker 2: Is there do you are there certain pros on staff that are playing the different iterations of those irons, Like is there somebody that's playing T, somebody's playing S, somebody that's even playing I two forty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Harris English, Tony Fen. Now those are a classic T man ball strikers. When I think the ultimate iron ball striker, my brain goes to Harris English. I could sit on the sit on the range of watching him just absolutely flush those all day long. And then we just have a we just have a tank load of players playing the blueprint s, just tons of players playing the blueprint s. I mean, Neil Shipley, he's like you. He plays like I think if we count his wedges being different, like five different iron models, if you go through that, but the core of his set is kind of blueprint s. And then he plays I think one blueprint t in the short irons, and then I two forty. I mean we got you know, Victor's played our I two hundred series iron for quite some time, a little bit longer blade length, a little bit more bounce, and certainly that I two forty iron very popular on the LPGA tour because it generates a little more height, little little bit more spin to it as well.
Speaker 2: What about I five forty, I mean, as you kind of continue to navigate through the progressions of the ping offerings.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so let's say let's let's let's have the blueprint ts I two forty is where the player brings the speed. Then we're gonna have this bucket of irons that the iron itself is gonna add and supplement a bit of distance for you or a lot of distance for you. Right, and so we have I uh five forty is what we call our player's distance iron. So the iron looks pure, it's got a pretty small, nice compact packed blade length to a shane, but it's the face is moving on that iron, So it's it's you can almost think about it is the face is behaving a little bit more like a metal wood in terms of Okay, it's gonna flex a bit and it's going to return that energy to the ball. Now, the benefit is that you're going to get more ball speed, a lot of ball speed out of that iron, and that iron's gonna launch pretty high and generate a pretty relatively high peak height. So that's a great iron if you're maybe looking for a little bit more distance in your long iron, I certainly know there's a lot of players that do that. But the full set design is something that if you're a player that is maybe lost a little bit of distance, but you still find the center of the face often and you like that compact blade length. The way the turf interaction is. But you you still want to hit your eight iron from one sixty like you always have, and maybe you've been degrading a little bit and now you're hitting at one forty five, but you want to get back to one sixty. I five forty is a tremendous product.
Speaker 2: There.
Speaker 1: One thing we've put a lot of effort into in our player's distance iron is to make them hot without hot spots. That is a really big deal. And make them go high and land steep, and that's the secret sauce of the I five forty.
Speaker 2: And then you see on you've got G four forty and G seven forty, so you kind of go into game improvement and then super game improvement or basically those two categories for players that might need a little bit of help. Kind of going back to that, where's the speed coming from?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so G G four to forty again, face is flexing a good bit. This is our iron, Shane. If we had to throw every other iron out the window and design one iron for the entire marketplace, it'd be the four to forty, big lot of forgiveness, little wider soul. Now that being said, they still look very attractive. The four forties look very attractive in terms of the blade length, and we've kind of evolved our meat and potatoes G series iron to look better over the years. But they go high, they go really far, and they have a ton of forgiveness. So if you're an eight to ten handicapper above looking for the great all purpose workhorse iron that's going to give you a lot of forgiveness, a lot of height, plenty of distance. The four to forty is the place to look. And then Shane, I am personally very excited and candidly, I thought we had a little bit of a gap in our iron offering by not having a very very wide soul. So there's a little bit of our teams kind of influencing feedback from our fitters. We need a return of a very wide soul iron, and the wide soul iron gives turf interaction forgiveness. So one piece of iron fitting to think about is not only what do I need from launch conditions and workability, how much forgiveness do I need from the soul design and the bounce fitting. And so the G seven is a little bit longer, he'll toe length, But the big thing is the soul is very wide, very friendly being that wide of a soul. And so if your delivery is not perfect every single time, which is a big thing, if you're as your differentiator in skill levels your ability to find the bottom of the ground and that low point consistency, the seven forty is a fantastic offering and they go super high and super far that iron.
Speaker 2: What about you know something I get ask a lot about because I do the I do the wedges, like I don't do the set wedges, you know, I mean, I think there's obviously you could go set wedges, you can go specialty wedges in terms of what you have in your line up there? What do you tell people that ask you that question, like what's more important in that regard?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would love to get your feedback on it, but I'll kind of give my take on this one. First, Shane is so specialty wedges. So for example, maybe instead playing the pitching wedge, you play the forty six, or you play the fifty instead of the U wedge number one. A little bit of psychology, you want that little bit of psychology. Though, Okay, now I'm in the scoring zone, I'm gonna be able to to stuff this shot in there you're in the scoring zone from a full shot perspective, So that's number one. A little bit of preference there too. The blade lengths are generally a little shorter, so you're gonna be able to turn them over or square them up a little bit easier on a full shot. And then number three, I think is the biggest consideration is how much you're gonna use those for short game shots. Are you gonna chip a little bit more with your gap wedge or your forty six? Do you got a course you maybe have powdery bunkers and you need the forty six or fifty for long thirty yard bunker shot from a powdery bunker, you're gonna open the face a little bit more. The specialty wedge is gonna give you a little bit more versatility there. Conversely, the set wedge generally, let's say take our I two forty for example, has a little wider soul, little more bounce, so it might be a little less versatile if you're gonna use them for short game shots opening the face. What has your experience been and why do you generally prefer the specialty wedge.
Speaker 2: In Yeah, I mean I think more of the third bucket for me. I mean you mentioned just shots around the green, you know, the modern tour player. I feel like Marty. They miss a green, they immediately grab their lobwedge and walk up the fairway. That is not me. I am always looking at the lie. I might have two clubs in my hand to figure out what type of shot I like to hit. I don't like just going with lob wedge. I like to hit fifty six, fifty even forty six if I'm short, with a lot of green to work with. So that's the reason I do it is I just like the versatility around the greens because I like to have a lot of options to hit certain pitch shots. I just see I see pitch shots differently, you know, I just see a lot of the ground. How much grounding to cover? How can I make this shot the easiest possible? And I feel like for me, going with less loft on certain shots makes more sense, and that's easier for me to do with a specialty wedge.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, I love that. I love that, and I think that's a good framework for folks to think about. Okay, specialty wedge or stick with your set wedges. I've personally gone to Blueprint tea and my pitching wedge as okay with my blueprint as my primary reason for that, Shane has been squaring the face up. So again, blade length is just a little shorter, and I like sometimes drawing my pitching wedge in if I'm kind of between, I want to hit a hard draw yep, I can do that a little bit easier and not do it with lyingle. And again, because the blades's a little shorter, the face is going to be delivered slightly more closed the path and that's why I personally love that in the in the Blueprint te pitching watch.
Speaker 2: Marty, what about indoor and outdoor fitting? I mean, you know a couple options obviously for a lot of golfers. Sometimes there's only one option, right, You've got to get fit inside or you got to go to a range you get fit, you know, out and out with with mother nature. Is there a big difference in terms of how you could get fit or the numbers that come out of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, certainly, certainly some pros and cons with both. It's not all negative getting fit indoors. In fact, there are some benefits, right you do you are in a more controlled environment, you're gonna have consistent friction, you don't have bias from wind and lies or sandy turf for Barker, maybe suboptimal golf balls and things of that nature. So a lot of advantages to the indoor side, I think is launch monitors and simulation software have gotten better. You can go into a nice simulated environment where maybe you can have a nice target that's a little smaller, help you focus in, and things of that nature. The advantage of getting fitting outdoor Shane though, if you can, is being able to be able to evaluate turf interaction in a little bit more real world environment. And I think that's one of the missing pieces of the indoor side that we're going to continue to try to innovate on, is that turf interaction side of things. Being able to evaluate that simulating friction. The same friction you get which was determinant. Help's going to determine launch angle and spin rate from indoors to outdoors. The good news there is that uh with with our afs fitting clubs, the get a little technically or but they live right at the peak of what's called the spin loft mountain. So if you change friction or lies from indoored outdoors or on a tee or not on a tea, generally you're going to kind of have pretty similar spin characteristics. That's that's a good news with fitting indoors and outdoors with irons. But yeah, I think if if you get fit indoors on irons, there can be a lot of advantages to controlling the environment more.
Speaker 2: What about for like lady golfers or junior golfers in terms of getting fit for irons with web fit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, web our web fit tool is absolutely fantastic and one of the big pieces with our webfit tools, and we just launched webfit ladies with the launch of the g L four, which I'm very excited about. It'll give you a really good kind of gapping recommendation, Shane. So not only are we getting you fit in there for based on your static heigh, risk of floor, get your color code, We give you a length recommendation, ask you some questions if you know them about your club at speed or swing speed. All of that informs your set configuration. Right, really big deal, and we've met, we've our webfit tools do it in a way that's not intimidating, right, You just answer some questions. We give you a couple set recommendation options. You know, I think one of the big pieces is what's the longest iron you're comfortable playing well. We also can look at it from a scientific standpoint, which what is based on your inputs, what's the longest iron that we think you can be successful hitting right, getting the ball up in the air and having that right amount of stopping power for and gapping together. And so Wefit ladies fantastic tool. I really encourage any ladies that are in the market for new clubs to go through that help you fit the entire bag, not only your irons. And then Junior the same thing is what is the right mix of clubs in there? A Wefit Junior has been used hundreds of thousands of times now fantastic product, and we got our get Golf Growing program so when kiddos grow a little bit, they can send their clubs back in and get them extended. But really help you dial in the gaping component along with the length and liingle in which schaffles and our Prodigy product.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean the fitting. I think the fitting world of irons can feel intimidating because of the offerings and all the different assortments of what you can and can't do. But I mean the idea is, because there's so many options, why not have a lot of fun hitting different stuff and seeing what might actually make the most sense. I love the idea of going in with a little information and knowing what your golf course plays like and maybe what are certain shots you're gonna hit. And also, I mean what I said earlier is no e. I mean, all of these things play into making sure you're getting fit to exactly exactly what you want in the bag, which is all we're trying to do is trying to make you more confident and hit the ball better and more consistent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Shane, I think one thing that we do that I'm very excited about right now in the fitting world for irons is it's we're doing almost the opposite in a driver. Like the driver, we've always had lofts and models to fit your optimal trajectory downrange right to get you perfect launch conditions. But we've just now put in trajectory tuning sleeves and CG shifters fits you for left right bias. Irons. We've always fit for left right bias through lingle but we've just now been able to through power Spec and Retrospec also fits you for your stopping power. So we're doing what I like to think about, and I really encourage our fitters and consumers to think about. We're doing three D fitting now for both drivers and irons and irons. We're executing it through our Retrospec in our power Spec and we've even added retrospec heads to our AFS fitting mix. So now you can try retrospec and go in and maybe take one of our G seven to forty G four forty irons that go pretty far, and you might be saying, hey, these are great, I just wish they win a little bit higher. Work with your fitter if you need to evaluate your stopping power, and you can try out our irons with Retrospec or conversely power Spec if you're spinning them too much. And we see a lot of fast wing speed players maybe fit into our I two forty and they want to try power Spec to get their spin rate down. So we have just fantastic tools now to fit you for your your optimal launch window.
Speaker 2: I mean just throwing pitches from all directions, Marty, I mean there's you just got to be ready. You got to be ready for all of it, all of use, and you're catching them. Do we miss anything in terms of iron fitting.
Speaker 1: Ah, I mean those are the big ones. I mean shaft fitting is a really big deal. I think a little different to think about shaft fitting and irons, which is weight. Your weight caategory is really important. And the reason why is because your low point control is a premium. It's very different than your driver driver the balls on a tee. You got a lot of inertia, you got a little wiggle room to miss a little high and low on the face. If you fat your irons, thin your irons struggle with that low point control, that can be a major problem. So you want to think about a little bit my priority of weight first because that'll help your low point consistency. And then obviously change different shaft flexes for feel, a little bit of tip stiffness for launch window. But the primary thing is just make sure you're in the right weight category for you both your swing speed and how consistent you can you can deliver the club to the ground.
Speaker 2: How many irons do you have in your bag, Marty? Do you know the number you have?
Speaker 1: Uh? Iron models? Yeah, I got I got ID, I, I got IDI three four, and then blueprint blueprint s and then a blueprint T so I'd counted three three different models.
Speaker 2: Right now we are the perfect examination of what, say, what's out there if you're interested in diving into the world. Marty always appreciate the insight. A reminder to everybody to get fit. If you're a golfer, it is silly not to go out there and get fit. This is the Ping proven Grounds podcast