Speaker 1: Welcome into What's burnon.
Speaker 2: I feel like we need that, like breaking news did, because like six seconds ago, the Sixers announced they are firing Doc. Rivers one fifty four to eighty two regular season record, but twenty.
Speaker 1: And ten in the playoffs.
Speaker 2: Sixers have lost in the second round five the past six seasons, so this run actually predates Doc, but also speaks to ownerships frustration levels. So just start, Matt, what do you make of Doc getting fired?
Speaker 3: Interesting? As someone who played for Doc, uh great motivator. I feel like at time struggles with in game adjustments. You know, it's been well documented all week before he was fired. Just his his his record in closeout games, or his team's blowing three to one, up three two leads game seven, this last game seven. I mean it's yeah, Doc as a coach, but you know, Embiid and Harden played piss poor. I think they know that. I think the world knows that, but I don't know. Rach. Doc has has has been one of those very lucky coaches that from the beginning, starting with t mac onto Boston with two Hall of Famers, onto the Clippers with Blake and Chris, onto seventy six ers, He's always found a team that has at least one bona fide superstar, but two, but his inability to get them over the hump. You know, record very solid, but you know, with teams like that and talent like that, you have to win championships or at least get to the championship, and I think his inability to do that with these very talented teams is possibly why he was fired.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's interesting you look at him big picture and there's a lot of reasons why. Hey, this may be justified, But in terms of the specific of Game six in Game seven in this series, I mean, his key players didn't play well down the stretch in Game six, and by the way, if Jason Tatum didn't happen to get hot at the end of that game, the very big of the fourth quarter, this is a different conversation. They win Game six at home, and they're in the conference finals, and he still has his job and I'm sure has his job for years to come. And then game seven, they lose a Game seven on the road against the team that made the NBA Finals last year, that was the number one seed for much of the season this season, with a transcendent performance from a legit star in Jason Tatum. I believe, I mean, he got over fifty, but I believe the way he scored it hadn't ever been done before. I mean, there's so many things that had to happen for them to get this result.
Speaker 1: It just I don't know.
Speaker 2: I always worry when we just are quick to fi our coaches, who are you going to get to replace him? Is that person going to actually be better? And we at least have a good free agent class of coaches. I guess you've got Nick narse MONI Williams out there, Mike Budenholtzer. You've also got openings, though it's a little bit of musical chairs. Milwaukee, Phoenix, Philly, Detroit, Toronto. Who do you think is the best candidate and what do you think is the best job?
Speaker 3: Real quick before I get there. It's hard racing because I think, like you said, you know, these guys didn't show up and play, you know. But I think often that the coach is the scapegoat because you're paying James and obviously Embiid who is their cornerstone so much money, you know what I mean? So I think they think that the coach is always going to be a quick fix, and sometimes it is, but sometimes it isn't. Back to your question, best opening was that the question, Uh, Milwaukee, you know you got Jannis, you have your entire core built. You know, obviously they have some decisions to make with Brook Lopez, but I think these guys have been making solid runs the last few years. They've got more time to rest this year and come back healthy next year. So you know, obviously that Milwaukee job is enticing. The Philly jobs enticing. The Phoenix job is enticing. Uh, there's a there's a lot of open spots with open talent, so it'd be interesting to see who goes where. But at the same time, is it is the coach the fix or is it the personnel having to do their job as players, uh to get themselves there? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, I mean I think we're gonna get to Phoenix in a minute, and I think that's a big question there. I want to stick with Philly just for one more second, though, Because there was speculation that some of the Doc move was made in part to please James Harden, he made it clear after Game seven he wasn't a great fan. He was asked about the relationship He fumbled around for a little bit, then he finally got into calling it.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, okay.
Speaker 2: Harden has a player option of thirty five point six million. Remember, even if he ops out, he can resign with Philly. They could offer him actually the most money of any team out there. But Matt, you've heard those persistent rumors he's considering a return to Houston. Also, if you're James Harden, what would you do?
Speaker 3: I mean, not only Houston, but where he played college ball in Phoenix, you know what I mean? And possibly teaming up with Kevin duran again without the Kyrie Irvin drama. I don't know. You know, again, I don't know this Philly trust. The process has been ten years in the making and hasn't necessarily came anywhere. And then you know, you know Jimmy Butler's you know, they picked Obias Harris over me, and you know, personnel decisions left and right that haven't necessarily benefited them. Phoenix, Uh, you know, they were high on everyone's list this year in the playoffs, and you know, even though they had to unload the whole house to get Kevin Durant, you know, a healthy possibly a healthy Chris Paul could change his dynamics. But you think about you slide of James Harden, who's a twenty ten guy in Chris Paul's spot that brings a whole new dynamic to Philly or excuse me, to Phoenix. Houston is a mystery to me. Obviously he had a great time there and not only in the community. Excuse me, not only on the court was he rocking, but in the community from a from a night life standpoint and really just giving, getting back in the community and helping people.
Speaker 1: A love the community is Yeah, you.
Speaker 3: Know, he had a good time. But that is a team that you know, we'll talk about it later. Could possibly get the number one pick with Victor, and you add James and Victor with that young core, that'd be interesting to see. But I don't know, you know, I hate to guess where he would be. But to me, it looks like if there's an opportunity to go to Phoenix, that would be an amazing, amazing situation for I think everyone involved.
Speaker 2: Look, Phoenix to me is the one where I do not I just I don't understand what they were doing with money.
Speaker 1: Williams. I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: If you look at the roster money was working with, especially after Chris Paul went down.
Speaker 1: How do you blame coaching for.
Speaker 2: Them losing to the number one seed in the West when they gave away all of their depth to get Kevin Durant, which, by the way, I'm fine with. I think if you have a chance to go get Kevin Durant, you go get Kevin Durant. But then you can't expect to win that season before you have the off season to sort of retool.
Speaker 1: I don't know, I was. I didn't like that one at all.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think too. I think his winning percentage is over seven hundred, which is insane, and you look what he's been able to do with that team. The injury to Chris Paul, DeAndre Ayton either quittin or I don't even know what you want to call it, but you know the way that Book and Kad went out there and gave their all. And like you said, Rach, you know, a trade mid season and you expected to instantly bloom flowers with key guys either being hurt or not performing is an unreasonable expectation. So I think out of all the coaches who were fired, I'm with you that one was the one that made the least amount of sense. But you know what we also think, you know, Aidan and Mani Williams, that hasn't been no secret they have not got along and you know not. You don't even have to be in the locker room to know that. Obviously, they give Ate and a bunch of money last year and again come playoff time, you see this guy not slapping people's hands and not performing and on the end of the bitch pouting. Maybe that was something to hopefully wake Aiden up because they have given him a whole bunch of money. Now we got the coach out the way, you know, what are you gonna do? So again, I'm with you, that was probably the worst, in my opinion, firing this offseason.
Speaker 1: It made no sense to me.
Speaker 2: And by the way, there's multiple reports out there that they are aggressively shopping Ayton, So in terms of the relationship between the two of them, I don't get why they would. Certainly, you know, if they want to try to keep James Harden in Philly, and this is a bid to get rid of Doc Rivers to keep James Harden, because you know, it doesn't seem like those two are that close that's one thing, But a guy that you're supposedly putting on the training block, I just it.
Speaker 1: Doesn't make any sense to me.
Speaker 2: And by the way, it does make sense to get rid of Ayton. I still have faith in Ayton as a player. I think that somewhere he will find the right fit and really be what he was projected to be.
Speaker 1: But it doesn't seem like it's going to be in Phoenix.
Speaker 2: So if that's the case, trade him get back some parts that can add depth. Same thing with Chris Paul. He's got that balloon payment basically coming right now. Fifty million of the salary is guaranteed, but if he gets to the end of next month of June, then thirty million is guaranteed. Thirty million plus. So they are going to be looking to see what they can get for him too. And that's the case, by the way, hey, where they might get the same amount of salary back. But in players who are multiple players role players guys, so if one guy has hurt, the other guy might still be their depth. It's all crazy idea depth.
Speaker 3: And rach too. You know, if I'm not mistaken, Aiden being from Arizona going to school at Arizona now playing for the Phoenix Sun. Sometimes you need to get up out of that bubble, you know what I mean, Get out of the bubble, not have all these yes men in your ear telling you it's everyone else's fault but yours. Maybe a new situation because I agree. I mean we talked about this. I think last week on KG certified. Aiden is very, very, very talented and an array of moves on the offensive end, someone who can block shots, be a rim protector, lob threat, mid range po He can do it all. But I just think he's a little too comfortable where he's at and there's probably the wrong kind of influences in his ear pointing the finger at everyone but him. And I think a new surrounding, as you said, can can serve him well because he is a very talented, young big.
Speaker 2: That team has so much potential to me, I mean, you've got Katie and Book, You've already got the secret, the thing that's the hardest thing to get in the NBA, two legit big time superstars. I think they've got the chance to add depth. I know they gave away a bunch of stuff when they traded for KD, but they do have players that they can move to cash in for some depth. And again, I think Manny Williams was the guy to bring them along through what's going to be a tumultuous off season. He would have been a voice of consistency and who are you going to get Who's going to be better? I mean, this is the question for all of these trigger happy owners is it's one thing to get rid of your coach, it's nothing to replace him, two different problems.
Speaker 1: I don't know. You didn't tell me by the way go ahead.
Speaker 3: No, I was going to say, obviously, you get rid of money and then you get rid of your I mean you're shopping the coach on the floor too, and Chris Paul. Yes, So that's a lot of structure and dependency on two guys that really kind of may have not have been the main reason the wheel was going, but a big part of the reason why the wheel was moving. So you get rid of money, you trade CP. It is going to be a very interesting to see what ownership does over there in Phoenix.
Speaker 1: You didn't tell me who you think the best candidate out there is, so.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the best candidate for Phoenix.
Speaker 1: Or just in general, Oh, the best the best.
Speaker 3: I would just love to see rach uh. You saw what he did in Golden State with the foundation, and there's so many reasons why he hasn't been hired since, and you hear stories. I don't know what's true what's not, but I love what Mark Jackson was able to bring to that core in Golden State. And now, now with that said, I mean, some guys are great young team coaches because they're very hands on and very this and very that, and some guys can coach anywhere. So I'm not really sure how he would be, but I mean the foundation he helped build over in Golden State before this dynasty got going, you could you can arguably say that they may not be a dynasty if Mark Jackson didn't allow Stephen Clay to play the way they did and and everything he you know, instilled in those young guys. So I would love to see Mark Jackson get a chance. Obviously, this is going to be a huge free agent summer for coach, but I would love to see Mark Jackson get a you know, get a real shot with the team that has everything and then they need a coach to kind of guide the ship.
Speaker 2: Well, I know he's been interviewing again that teams have been talking to him. I think Mark would really be great with some of these teams. And there's enough, there's enough openings out there, right, Yeah, so let's see what he can do again with.
Speaker 3: Good team rach, I don't recall this many good teams having openings Normally it's the bottom of the barrel. Like shit, am I risking my coaching career going to this team? Like there's a lot of teams that you know, you insert a player and a solid coach and their contenders in their conference.
Speaker 2: Yep, absolutely, Well, we got another team that is not have a coaching void, but may have a superstar void soon. We are waiting to see what the league office does mat with John Moran yet again flashing a gun on IG Live.
Speaker 1: I feel like I've just said this sentence.
Speaker 2: Recently Grizzlies, by the way, suspended him from all team activities. But remember he's got a five year, one hundred and ninety four million dollar max contract.
Speaker 1: Set to begin this coming season. Just rolled out.
Speaker 2: That's AIG shoe with Nike. I mean, what was your first thought when you saw this flash across your phone?
Speaker 3: You can't be this dumb little homie. You just can't. You can't. I mean, he already missed out. If I'm not mistaken, it was it thirty or thirty nine million for not making all NBA, and we all know Rachel. To me, in my opinion, I could be wrong. He didn't make all NBA not because he wasn't good enough. It was because the bullshit off the court. So right there, you lost forty let's just say forty million signature shoe. We look with Nike and it was crazy because I knew two years ago. I was like, he is a signature shoe type player. I'm sure a lot of other people said that he has the opportunity. You saw Nike stand by him the first time around. We're standing strong even though you know the Kyrie situation. We know with Kyrie the whole, that hole, and they decided to step away. So you make the same mistake twice in two months. So now you're jeopard Ody's not only money that you should have had from being the incredible player you are. You're forcing other people's hands. You're forcing Nike sand What isn't it? Because I know Nike's taking a lot of heat right now for standing by this guy, and then you look at Power Aid and the deal he just had, and he should have commercials all throughout the playoffs right now, but those are being pulled. I've never seen in a day and age where camera phones, celebrities, entertainers, athletes really have to walk on eggshells. I've never seen a group of guys telling themselves so much. Like It's not like other people have caught Jaw flashing the gun around or you know, people outside of his circle. It's him telling on hisself in the strip club and his homie telling on him in the car. And if you guys know how you move and how you bounce and you get height to these songs, you don't have to show the world. Just enjoy the moment. I think so often people always want to show the moment or show on like look at me and my homie, job we acted. We're feeling to give that shit up. If you guys can't keep to me. It reminds me of you know, someone young who got money and it's burning a hole in their pocket. They either got to spend it or show and like, look at this wad. Like I came up and luckily I was never really around guns. A lot, but you know, my dad, it was a little active, and I knew some people, and the rule was you only pull the gun to use it, you know what I mean. And you hear a bunch of people saying like, oh, it's it's his second Amendment, and then this, this and that. That's not what's in question here. I encourage everyone, as long as you know how to use it and you have it registered, carry a gun if you feel like you need it, but you don't, you don't pull it out for likes and comments and to show how cool you are. Another thing that kind of took me back to is a real gang banger out here in LA. You know, someone from the Rolling sixties got on social media last week and pleaded to job like, this is not the path, bro, Like, whether you came from it or not, you're not in this, you know, and invited him about to LA and and told him come roll with him and see what this life is really like. And I just think that, you know, everyone that I knew that really came from it, you know, the goal is to get out of it, not to once you get the bread go back to it. So it's just unfortunate. I feel like you know to who much is given much as ex and this guy has a lot of weight on his shoulder from a standpoint of you know, you look at him, Tatum Booker. They're the next wave of American stars to carry the torch. You know, Lebron is on his way out with all due respect, KD. Steph have a handful of years left. This next wave includes Jah and he has the opportunity to be the face, one of the faces of the league. And it's just like you want to be something so bad it's it's insane. And again I'm not saying don't carry a gun. I'm not saying if you feel like you need to carry gun, carry that motherfucker. But just you pull it for a reason. You don't pull it for likes and comments and dancing on social media. That's just not the lifestyle. Rappers can do that, and that's glorified for rappers, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: But and even that, by the way, if you look at it to the point I mean, you look at the gun violence with God in this country, you can make an argument with that too, but certainly not with the NBA. And by the way, I mean, what you're talking about is exactly the thing the League office has said it doesn't want right. They're not saying this guy, you know, there are any of these guys can't carry a gun in their private life if it's legal in the state they're supposed to be in. It is about making a big show of it. It is about the specific thing that he's trying to do that you're talking about that he should not do.
Speaker 1: And it's not like he doesn't know. Matt.
Speaker 2: I talked to him after Memphis was eliminated last month. I asked him directly, I said, what did you learn from this season? Here's his quote back to me. He said, I've just got to be better with my decision making. That's pretty munch it off. The court issues affected us as an organization. Just more discipline, that is what he said to me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, when you look at the Memphis situation, I wholeheartedly believe that they got rid of Dylan Brooks because Jaw was such a handful. Like if we can't handle all these wild cards, Jaw's a superstar, So we're going to give you the bit. We're going to keep trying to give you the benefit of the doubt. Dylan Brooks, although solid second team All Defense. Congratulations, you're not this caliber of player. So we can't deal with both of you guys, you know what I mean, Like one has to go, and obviously it's gonna be the lesser of the players. So that's all this this is is, you know it kind of what bothers me too, is just obviously he's doing it for likes and comments. But what trips me out is there's so many people trying to justify what he's doing, and obviously he's doing it for likes and comments. He's gonna look to see like all these all these people are saying it's cool, and I should be like, that's not it, man, that's not it. So again, if you're his friend, you're in his circle, keep the phones down because y'all keep telling on yourself. That's like shooting yourself. That's like Cheddarboom from eight Mile, Like you keep shooting, you keep telling on yourself like no one else has caught you slipping. You've slipped personally with selfies and in the car going nothing, and everyone has those moments. Everyone is feeling something like rach we came up with real gangster music, like the real gangster gangster rap started when we were coming up, so we know the energy and the feeling. But just imagine on the flip side, if you saw a Lebron flash a gun while he's reading he loves are wrapping the back of his car. Imagine a steph like, although he's not them, he's carrying that same torch those guys will be carrying once they're gone. So that's why it's just like it's a morale clause. It's you know, kids are looking up to you. You saw Michael Wilbon say his son is not allowed to wear Josh shoe. There's just so much at stake, and it's crazy that he is willing to risk that for likes and and and cool points. It's just fucking insane to me.
Speaker 2: So obviously the accountability isn't there right because, as I said, he knows what he should or shouldn't be doing. He said it out loud in front of a bunch of people. He doesn't feel apparently accountable though to anyone in eight game suspension at the end of this past season that didn't do it, what would you do if you were Adam Silver in the league office?
Speaker 1: What do you think would get the message.
Speaker 3: I would hate to be in this position because I think Adam Silver by all means, people thought Adam Silver let him off easy the first time with a slap on the wrist. He went to this so called rehab program that did he really go or not? Is that just you know? Is that you know? Is that glittering lights? I initially said twenty five to thirty games, but Adam Silver may may have to make a statement this time and really show him that he's not fucking around. And Adam is the one commission that will do that. You know, he will make a statement and it'll be unfortunate if he goes half a season. I mean, think about again, you're losing your own money and endorsements, but now you're fucking up your team bro, you know so I don't expect it to be any less than thirty games. I hope it's in that twenty to thirty range. But again, Adam may feel like he has to. You know, Adam is a good dude. And if you sit down and look him in the eyes and tell him everything you you know, he feels you learned and then you you basically joh lied to Adam's face.
Speaker 2: So how is they just did that. He just sat as complete disrespect.
Speaker 3: So it'll be interesting to see what Adam does. I'm hoping for the lesser just because you know, this kid has so much potential, you know what I mean. So it's gonna be ugly. I think it's going to be anywhere from twenty to half the season. I hope it's not like a real smack in the face and he says you're done for the season, because that would you know, that would hurt a lot of a lot of people involved. So I'm hoping somewhere in that twenty to forty range, but hopefully closer to the twenty side.
Speaker 2: I mean, I want joy out on the court. He's one of my favorite players to watch. It sucks for all of us, by the way. The fans lose too when John Moran is off the court. That is a fun, competitive team. He does things every night that are just so fucking highlight worthy you want. I mean, it gets you up off your couch. But he's the one who's taken this away from himself. It's not Adam Silver who's going to be taken it away. It's not the people out there who are critical of him, who are taken away.
Speaker 1: As you said, he told on himself. He's the one making these decisions and.
Speaker 3: He got I mean again, outside of missing forty million, which is no one wants to give away, he's got to really you know, with me coaching like he's got a really dope shoot, you know what I mean, and and seeing kids how much they love him and look up to him, and knowing that his shoe will go quick because Kyrie had a shoot that was going crazy. So you saw John that and Jah's that new wave. His shoe is gonna go crazy, and you just think he's just fucking all this up for look look at me type shit. Like again, it's not on the floor on the floor, he's incredible, it's off the floor, young immature shit. That is going to end up hopefully not having this guy out of the league, but just hindering him and his team and his family and his community.
Speaker 2: This is gonna be interesting to see what Nike does too, by the way, because because of the Kyrie decision, yes, they're more dependent on jaw, so I would expect them to give him even a little bit more room.
Speaker 1: But we'll have to see. I don't know, sor right, let's talk him actual basketball, Matt, I don't know what you thinks. Should we do that.
Speaker 2: Celtics heat Eastern Conference Finals repeat from last season? We know last year it came down to seven, but right to the wire, right, he'd have always played the Celtics tough.
Speaker 1: They're two and two this season.
Speaker 2: Do you think the number eight seed in Miami's unlikely postseason run ends here? Or is Butler in company the perfect batchup to take out the Celtics.
Speaker 3: It almost seems like Dalton Jimmy Butler and and and Don't get this misconstrued, but it's like Doubton Lebron at times, like don't ever doubt Lebron. Jimmy Butler has shown I mean he's not Lebron. I'm not saying he's Lebron, but he's one of the most competitive grinders, blue collar superstars we've ever had that can will his team to where they need to go. Considering the injuries and and and they lost their first game in the playing, didn't they.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, I mean the skin of the skin of their teeth here right right.
Speaker 3: You know, now they got guys hurt. But to get to the series, this team matches up really well with with Boston, and you know they've played each other last year, and you know, if you recall, you know, Jimmy Butler rebound pull up three in transition. You know, if that goes, they're going to the finals, you know what I mean. So they got guys that can guard Tatum and Brown or at least make them work, and they got versatile wings. It's gonna be fun. You know, this is this is the Bubble matchup, and everyone was talking about the Bubble with some bullshit and Bubble was this and that where you know we're getting to repeat, you know, two or three years later of these Bubble matchups. And I personally think that Boston is either the first best or second best team left in the playoffs. So I expect them to win, but it won't be easy. But again, I wouldn't be surprised if Miami kept this this amazing run going with the hopes of getting if they can get past Boston, getting Tyler Herro back for the finals.
Speaker 2: Well, Boston had those sort of flaky, underperforming moments in the series against Philly. I would expect the heat and Jimmy Butler to take advantage of that better than the Sixers did.
Speaker 3: And Rachel we would call how well they played without Jimmy that one game and took Philly to the wire. So this is a team that is coach well, that is very prepared, and you know, we've sung Coach Bolster's praises. One of the best coaches in the game. Will be a Hall of Fame coach as soon as he hands it up. So, like you said that, this team is not going to beat themselves, and you're not going to luck up and beat this Miami Heat team. You have to literally beat this team. So night, you know, if you decide to take games off or slip, Miami's going to win that shit. They're not going to be Philly and give you a chance to play around and come back. So Boston has to play better. Jason Tatum has to be very consistent this round, and if they do that, to me, I think they should win. But there's a lot of you know in the past that you know, I feel like Boston is going to keep the window open for this team, and that could be dangerous.
Speaker 2: This is great for me because in sports, right, I mean, sometimes the team's just much more talented or something, and it kind of is an uneven matchup. It's close enough here that what we're really testing with Boston is what is their mental metal right, because we know that on paper the more talented team. Jason Tatum has shown us he can be transit I mean he can he can just be transcendent. But are they tough enough to get through this round?
Speaker 1: I want to see it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then you know, obviously hopefully Missoula learned from his you know non call in time. You know when you look at the coach because you always want to look at the coaching matchup too, and to the Spolster is night and day and this is not what Yeah, they definitely got the advantage on the coaching side too, the X and o's and the strategy and the in game adjustment. So that's why it makes it even more important for those players to come out there and really play. It's it's it's do or die every single game. There's no games off because Miami is not the kind of team that you can mess around with.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a great point.
Speaker 2: Also, by the way, Tyler Hero was originally projected to come back not before what a theoretical NBA Finals run would be, but apparently he's a little bit ahead of schedule. Reports are that he's doing well, So, I mean, we don't know, but it's possible he could come back toward.
Speaker 1: The end of this conference finals. We'll find out. I don't know something or what. Get to the West over here.
Speaker 2: Lakers Nuggets another bubble rematch, right, both teams coming in a little stronger this time because the Lakers proved in the last round. They have defint matter and Anthony Davis further along when he was back in the bubble when they won the title. They've got Reeves, Lonnie Walker, Dennis, the menas all producing when called upon. And look, we still saw the toll that the Joker had on eighton, So it is going to be rough for Davis.
Speaker 1: But what do you think? What do you think sort of what's your overall take up on this matchup?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean to back up a little bit. Just as we sung Miami's praises from coming through the play in and you know, we're starting to hear whispers that you know, Lebron has the last chance guy following him around for this amazing run you know that they're making, and how great would for these guys to come in through the plan and get through the number one seed and get to the finals and possibly win it. You know, I mean, obviously there's a lot of work to do. It's a lot easier said than done. But you know, the Lakers have got themselves here. I think the most important thing is going to be Anthony Davis' consistency. We just spoke about Jason Tatum. I think Jason Tatum is more consistent than Anthony Davis. But Anthony Dave this is going to have to win the Magic Johnson Western Conference, you know, most valuable Player in order for this team to win, because this is no longer on Lebron. But you know, A just caught up to Lebron, and for the first time we've seen it in this playoff run, and he is not capable. And again this is not a knock. He's done it for goddamn nineteen years. He's been able to put the whole franchise in his back and run him through everything. Just A just caught up to Lebron. So Lebron is wisely picking and choosing his spots. But eighty has to be that consistent, consistent piece that is going to not only make a Yokic work on the defensive, end, but also make Yolkic work on the offensive end. And I think one thing, Rachel. They had a lot of success with Yokic in the bubble, and obviously he's gone on and won two MVP since then, but they also had more depth in Dwight Howard and Jabelle McGee, those big bodies that they can throw on Jokic where he can't bully these guys. You know. So you have Tristan Thompson who is a proven winner but hasn't got much burn. I heard yesterday that the Mobamba is being reevaluated to hopefully have a chance to playing this series, to be able to throw some fouls at him. But I think it all comes down to ad being very consistent, and then the role players. Which role players are gonna shine and can those role players shine away? You know, you got KCP who is a former Laker who is has been played well all these playoffs. Expect him to come tough. Aaron Gordon did a good job offensive and defense, leave Michael Porter junior, Bruce Brown who's been amazing in these playoffs. And then you on the flip side, you look at d Loo and Austin Reeves. Can these guys, answer the phone. Excuse me, answer the bell when it comes to playing on the run, Yeah, both both the Lakers. You know, the Lakers haven't gone into Memphis and took game one, went into Golden State and took game one. Can they go get game one in Denver? Denver's favored. We're gonna have to see. But A d has to be the superstar Anthony Davis. He can't be just Hey, I'm gonna play defense today and be great on defense. You've got to be great on both ends for this team to have a chance to advance.
Speaker 2: Matt Jokic isn't just sort of one of a better version of some of the big men than Anthony Davis's face. He's a different version, right, I Mean he's craftier, he's the way he passes all the stuff. What is the sort of what does Anthony have to do differently than just sort of a straight up center that you're banging and going against.
Speaker 3: Well, I asked Kevin Garnett this last week, like what would you do against you know, A Jokic? And it's just give him constantly, give him different looks. It's making him works, it's meeting him higher. Don't let it allow him to get positioned. You know, once he comes over half court, ride and bump him, make it uncomfortable front him. Send double team from the baseline, sometimes sometimes send him from the middle. Just keep Yokic guessing. And you know, I take this back to our we believe here when we had to guard Dirt and Nelly put me and Jack and sometimes Al Harrington. But the one thing was is we always gave Dirk different looks. He never knew where we were coming from. And although you know Jokic is a great passer, you want to make the other's beach. I don't give even if he's passing Jamal Murray. You want to make everyone but Jokic come in here and beat you. So I say all that to say they just have to keep him off balance. They got to make him work. And not only do they have to give him different looks on the defensive him, but they got to keep putting his ass in to pick and roll on the offensive end and get him tired and make him work. So it's going to be very interesting. There's a reason why he's a you know, the reigning MVP and arguably one of the greatest centers we've ever seen. So, But on the flip side, you know, we can say the same thing with the consistently Anthony Davis. He's one of the greatest power forwards we've ever seen, so Ad has his work cut out on both ends. The one thing that scares me is the Lakers' depth in that front quart as far as you know, able to put big bodies on Jokinch. So we will have to see.
Speaker 1: All right, Let's get on to NBA top Shot.
Speaker 2: The most legendary moments of the twenty twenty three playoffs live foreverest collectibles on NBA top Shot as the Conference Finals get started. The best highlights from each matchup are available as limited edition video collectibles you can own. Can start your collection today with NBA top Shot app on iOS and Google Play, or head to nbatop shot dot com. Every pack you buy between today and May thirty first will also enter you to win a VIP trip to the twenty twenty re NBA Draft.
Speaker 1: That's good price. I like that.
Speaker 2: All right, We got a guest question, who do you think is going to show up big in the Conference finals and win the Larry Bird East MVP. You already said that you think that the pressure is on Anthony Davis to win the MVP in the West, that that's the only way the Lakers are going to win.
Speaker 1: What about the East?
Speaker 3: Same thing. Jason Tatum, he has to be the rain. He's the Raining. He won the inaugural Larry Bird. He has to win his second straight award for Boston to advance. I think there's a lot riding on Anthony Davis and Jason Tatum. If they're the best players in these series, both their teams advance to the finals. If they don't, neither those teams will advance.
Speaker 1: Plus, you know Tatum won last year.
Speaker 2: It was the first time the Larry Bird Trophy was named the Larry Bird Trophy.
Speaker 1: I think you got to keep in the Celtics family, right. If you're a Boston.
Speaker 3: Fan, keep wondering that you might start calling the Jason Tatum Trophy.
Speaker 2: You don't know, so cut out, y'all out there can start your NBA Top Shot collection today at NBA topshot dot com. Get closer than the game and the players you love. Sign up today. All right, Let's get into the real meat of it here. Let's pick some winners. Let's get into some odds. A The Raider presented by DraftKings, the only sportsbook you need this postseason Conference Finals Game one Lakers Denver, Give it to me, Mad Nuggets are six point favorites.
Speaker 1: Who do you got in Game one?
Speaker 3: I got Denver winning Game one.
Speaker 1: With the spread against the spread? What are we talking?
Speaker 3: You look at the I'm not someone who really looks at I just think straight head to head. I think Denver WI win, they get a little bit more rest altitude. So I'm taking my heart is with the Lakers to win the series. But I have Denver in Game one, all right?
Speaker 2: And what about Wednesday Night's game? Boston eight point favorites over the heat.
Speaker 3: That's a lot.
Speaker 1: It's a lot.
Speaker 3: It's a lot. I'm taking Boston to win Game one at home, but I don't know if it's going to be by the spread. But I think both these series are going to be great. But I think that that this Eastern Conference series is going to be just a grind, and I'm excited to see it. So I got Boston. I got the home teams protecting home court in Game one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean it's funny.
Speaker 2: I do picks on DraftKings, and I got to say I go with the money line more than the spread. Usually on games I do player points and rebounds as this that kind of thing.
Speaker 1: But like, I don't know, man, those.
Speaker 2: Spreads either Vegas is too good at doing them to pick or we talked about.
Speaker 3: This, like I don't understand how how are they so good? Like if you watch these games good crazy enough, it's probably going to be six and eight points just like or five points or seven points? Like what? Like? Who are these people?
Speaker 1: They're too good for me? All right, draft lottery on Tuesday night.
Speaker 2: We got to get to that before we go, because you know, Victor web and Yama the big prize. This guy could turn a franchise around. I haven't seen this kind of excitement since the Zion draft. And frankly, maybe I'm a little bit more because Victor is such a sort of interestingly different player. He just he does everything a big man does but also takes the ball off the floor. I mean, he's just been fantastic. He dazzled in Las Vegas when he did some stuff with some other prospects. Business perspective, He's gonna bring you a lot of money right off the bat. So which team needs this guy most?
Speaker 3: Well, I think the worst part about these lotteries is you're always going to franchises that have issues and you're right, thank you, and winning starts at the top. So you look at you know, Detroit, the Rockets in San Antonio. You know, San Antonio obviously historically has been great, but just of late that they're down. So you look at those top three teams and then you throw you know, Charlotte and Portland in there at the bottom. I would love to see since Dame is such a gun hoer for Portland, I would love to see him get a Victor.
Speaker 1: That'd be pretty great.
Speaker 3: And be able to use that and mentor him in school him because I feel like, you know, with our brother Boogie, Boogie was a high talented obviously, you know we're not talking about Victor woman Yama, but Bookie was great in his own way. But he went to an organization with no structure, no foundations, seven coaches in eight years, and that can derail a lot of young great players, especially a Florin player who's coming and living in the States for the first time and thinking, hey, this is how the NBA is, this is how the world is. Foundation is very important for these young stars. So hopefully he goes somewhere with a little bit of stability and some guidance from either you know, veteran players and coaches. So off those five I just listed, I would love to see if Dame's going to stand poor, then I let us see Damon chance to get a big fella.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, that would be the most fun. I'm totally with you in terms of just sort of the teams of the best odds. I hope he ends up in San Antonio of those three bottom teams, just because I do think Greg Popovich would give him that structure and really teach him the game. Tim Duncan is still hanging around that franchise. I just think that that is the best incubator for his talents. Houston worries me just because of what you just said. I mean, it's a very similar situation to what you just describe with Sacramento with Boogie. And by the way, if James Harden did decide to come back there, it's not like he's known for mentoring young players, at least not right on the court.
Speaker 3: Maybe in the community. Maybe in the community. Right in the community.
Speaker 2: That's fantastic, by the way, bring that up over and over again with you. All right, I'm excited though, over the draft, lottery and all we got to have.
Speaker 1: We got a good.
Speaker 2: Month coming up, conference finals and finals. Matt will be with you all the way. You got huge all the smoke guests coming up, right, You want to plug anything before we get We want.
Speaker 3: To surprise people. We got a good variety of championship winners and people in the movie business and owners, so we're doing a lot of different We're being versatile on all the smokes.
Speaker 2: To stay tuned, all right, best showing basketball right now. See, I'll be sure to catch that. You can catch what's burning is well available every week on Showtime Basketball, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok.
Speaker 1: At Show Basketball.
Speaker 3: See y'all soon, John, Get your shit together, bro,