Speaker 1: One to pour control.
Speaker 2: Welcome back, everybody, all right, Yankees win this one game. One hundred and twenty seven is in the books. Thirty five left to play, and the Yankees pick up win number seventy two. The Rays did the Yankees a favor today. They lost to the Jays five to one, so the pressure was on the Yankees to capitalize on that and to pick up a game in the standings, which they did, and they played really well tonight. That was one of the more enjoyable games that we've had in a while. It wasn't stressful. Garrett Cole was essentially on cruise control, and the Yankees offense was great. You had Luis Garcia Junior fulfilling the prophecy. You had Spencer Jones with an opposite field home run, three hits. That was a very Bryce Harper type of swing, a really good game for him. We got some calls about people that want to keep Spencer Jones in the lineup. I don't know how the Yankees are gonna do it. When you got Bellinger coming back. I think they're gonna want to keep Jones getting it bat so I think they're gonna send him down to Triple A. I mean, it's a tough decision because he's one of the few guys that has really shown improvement over the last few weeks, and he had a good good night tonight. Garrett Cole outstanding tonight, six innings of one run ball. He picks up win number seven on the season. Kyle Bradish with the loss. He is seven and twelve. Ryan Yarbro with the three innings save, his third save of the year. And we're gonna have a fierce belt battle. I think in the chat between Spencer Jones and Luis Garcia Junior, also Garrett Cole deserves some recognition. So we'll see how that all works out. I have made my decision. We will reveal it shortly. We got to get to the good, bad and ugly first, though, Chuck and Charlow says Spencer Jones in marsh and out. Well, Martian's already out, so I don't know what you're doing there. But Grisham with another hit tonight, Ben Rice stayed hottie an opposite field single. Elliot Ramos hit one off the right field wall. Three hits for Garcia, including the home run, the Nostra Derek home run, Jazz Chisholm one for four with a triple. George Lombard Junior took the collar tonight, Spencer Jones great night, Austin Wells ripped ad Line drive and jose cabayro for four, but he did have an RBI in this game, so rare night where Yankees only had one poop emoji. Jackson Holiday got the poop emoji, so did five other Orioles who went at least for three Bisio for four, Christian and Karnassi and Strand four to Varius over three, Colton cow'ser over three and Carlos Narvaia's former Yankee oh for three. Dylan Beaver's had a good night with the home runoff of Garrett Cole. Pete Alonso had two hits. He had a good series. Gunner Henderson won for three, but he did make an error and that is your good, bad, and ugly. Raymond says, still no helmet for Jones. His helmet does fall off quite often, but I think it's been staying on more lately. You notice it stays on when he gets a hit. It only falls off when he misses or when he fouls.
Speaker 1: It off when he.
Speaker 2: Has a nice clean smooth, easy swing and he rips the line drive into the gap or hits one four hundred feet, you know, the opposite way out of the ballpark. The helmet stays on his head, and that home run tonight was beautiful. That was an opposite field drive. That wasn't a pop up that carried out, that was smoked. It reminded me, honestly when I was watching it of Bryce Harper, as he does that often. But let's get to the nitty gritty and we can award the belt, talk about Garrett Cole. We can take a look at the division snapshot. So both teams were quiet early. Yankees didn't get their first hit until the third. It was Spencer Jones and then cabi Ara tried to beat the shift to the right side with a couple of runners on, Holliday made what I thought was a very reasonable throw to second base and Henderson dropped it and that scored a run. But I mean, tonight's a good example. Look look what happens when you put the ball in play. You know, just putting the ball in play there got the Yankees to run. It was not the hardest hit ball, and you didn't have a huge exit of velocity or a great launch angle, but you had a runner on third, you made something happen. There was another time where Garcia hit a ground ball down the third baseline, just putting the ball in play. Little roller base hit. Last night, Yankees got a run on just like a dribbler to third base. Putting the ball in play matters, and the Yankees need to recognize this more. Ben Rice brough in the Yankee second run with an opposite field line drive single. I think hits like that are gonna pull him out of his slump more so than home runs. In my opinion, that was a beautiful piece of situational hitting.
Speaker 1: Two outs and a runner on third.
Speaker 2: Yankees needed to run there in a game, in the game they have to win, and just a beautiful piece of hitting didn't sell out for power, took what they gave him. So those people writing Ben Rice off as a first half fluke or a flash in the pan, watch out, because I believe the second wave is coming. Elliott Ramos had a big two out RBI opposite field double off the wall.
Speaker 1: That was a gorgeous wing. We've been waiting for him to do something.
Speaker 2: Obviously, still looking for that first home run as a Yankee Yankee stadium that might have gone out. The home run by Luis Garcia definitely goes out.
Speaker 1: He cheers then in all.
Speaker 2: Beautiful piece of hitting four hundred and thirteen feet one hundred and seven off the bat, and that wasn't even his hardest hit ball the night.
Speaker 1: So he had a great game, three hits. Let's hoep. He's about to go on a hot streak.
Speaker 2: But with Grisham hitting now and Rice starting to hit better, you got Bellinger coming back, Spencer Jones is hitting all of a sudden, You got a bunch of lefties that are hitting.
Speaker 1: What are the Egg's gonna do?
Speaker 2: It might be a little bit of a log jam if Bellinger comes back, you know, this weekend or maybe early next week, and.
Speaker 1: You know he.
Speaker 2: Is going into the lineup, who are you taking out? Can't take out Grisham, He's hitting what three fifteen in his last ten games. Can't take out Spencer Jones, But you might have to. I think his stats overall are probably the worst because of you know, he's had some stretches where he didn't do anything. But he's a guy who looks like he's improving and getting more confident, and his home run tonight was absolutely crushed. So I mean, and he's also seven for seven and stolen bases, so I don't know how you get how you take him out of the lineup. But Ryan Yarborough fantastic job tonight, three scoreless innings to get the save, Jazz Chisholm with a triple. I'll tell you how impressive that was. I believe Garcia Junior was on first base and he slid into second base and still ended up scoring twenty five home runs.
Speaker 1: Now, by the way, for.
Speaker 2: Garcia, go ahead and make your belt. Vote in the chat. Sounds like Rosario's getting DFA.
Speaker 1: It could be.
Speaker 2: I know Michael Ka doesn't think it's gonna happen, but it might. He hasn't really done what the Yankees expected him to do against lefties this year. I mean, you'd be giving up a right handed bat at a time when you really need him. But anyway, Yankees winning this one.
Speaker 1: Oh name alt Teks wins.
Speaker 2: Hick g Money says Yarbie belt or we Riot saves the bullpen. Collaborative film says Jones for the belt. Adam Thornton wants Garcia for the belt. Robert Ryan says Cole, this would have been a good night for a team belt, but I hate doing a team belt. Feels like a cop out. You know what, We shall reveal it right now, Spencer Jones with the belt. I'll tell you why I went with Spencer Jones. Not only did he have three heads, which was the same line basically that Garcia had, but he threw in the stolen base. And he's also probably gonna not have as many opportunities to win belts if he gets sent to the minor leagues. Also, we had a lot of calls about him in this episode, which I'm going to play a few in a row here in just a few minutes. But I mean, I just thought he deserved it. I thought he looked great tonight. It could have gone with Garcia. You know, one of his hits was kind of an excuse me, dribbler. Spencer Jones hit three ropes. Could have gone with Garrett Cole, he was outstanding, could have gone with Yarbroo, But ultimately Spencer Jones was my guy. Let's talk about the starting pitcher in this game, Garrett Cole. Garrett Cole was terrific tonight. I mean, there's just no iff sands or butts about it. Very long first inning, but then after that he settled down. He also had two strikeouts in the first in he could tell that the fastball had really good ride in this game. Second inning was easy, PS won two three es. He kind of bounced right back, and then the all important shutdown inning one, two, three and a third after the Yankees put on some runs on the board. He ended up throwing one of his strongest games of the year, second straight game that he has gone six innings of one run ball, four hits, allowed, eight strikeouts, just one walk, topped out at ninety nine point two miles an hour, seventy of ninety.
Speaker 1: Three pitches for strikes. That's what I like to see.
Speaker 2: And you have to be impressed by how strong he has returned from Tommy John surgery. Three point one one ERA, one hundred strikeouts, twenty walks. He is now pitching like the guy that we had before he got injured. I'd argue that he's been even better than the guy we had in twenty twenty four. He looks terrific and today he was throwing very hard. He looks healthy, he looks confident on the mound, fourteen whiffs, game score of seventy five. Hell of a performance by mister Garrett Cole. To take a look at his numbers on the year, he has made now sixteen starts, he has allowed twelve home runs. That's he's allowed more than half as many walks as I have says twenty walks twelve home runs, so more than half of his walk total in home runs.
Speaker 1: That's crazy.
Speaker 2: Two twenty four batting average against nine point seven strikeouts per nine the Newport Beach, California wine Officionado. Nice job by Garrett Cole. Okay, let's go to the game breakdown and we'll see if the Yankees got eleven hits tonight. They got two home runs, two walks. They did strikeout nine times. They left five men on base two for eight with runners in scoring position two fifty so not great but better than usual. Eleven fly balls tonight, nine ground balls and seven line drives, no popouts. Love to see that hardest hit ball the night was Luis Garcia Junior and the top pitch bead was Garrett Cole ninety nine point two miles an hour. Let's take a look at the division snapshot. So with the Jay's beating the Rays, the Yankees to within four games. The Red Sox now eight games back, and you gotta say, if the Yankees are maybe three games or less back going into September, you got a shot because you play the Rais.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's just all it is. Can you sweep the Rays? Maybe not, But stranger things have happened, and the Rays have been struggling a little bit. They've been on the struggle bus the last few days. Okay, let's recap the series. Yankee sweep.
Speaker 2: Mike Mustaine says, loving the young talent, Rice Jones, Lombard Junior, don't forget Cam Schlitzler, also very young and very very good. George Lombard Junior had a good series. Four hits in the series. Carlos Rodin made his return in the series four innings one run ball will warn not great yesterday, Garrett Cole much stronger today. The best performance of the series in terms of game score sixty two versus fifty four for Carlos Rodon and forty nine for Warren. Home runs in this series Yankees hit four of them. Ben Rice, Luis Garcia Junior, Trent Grisham, and Spencer Jones, Rice had the farthest one. It went four hundred and forty seven feet. Louis Garcia Junior four thirteen, Trent Grisham four to three, and Spencer Jones three ninety eight. I would have swore that one from Spencer Jones, and night went over four hundred, but I guess three ninety eight sot that far off for the Orioles. Shane Boz threw the ball well ten strikeouts, but to give up three runs kind of ran out of gas there. Dylan Beavers hit two home runs in this series. For the starting pitching, Chris Bassett went five and two thirds. Kyle Bradish went five and two thirds tonight. Not a great game. Score only struck out five. That is not good against the Yankees. If you're thrown five and two winnings against the Yankees, you better strike out eight or nine. That's and then Pete Alonzo with the home run yesterday and the long foul ball two home runs for Beavers in the series, and Kobe Mayo. All right, quick word from seat Gake here. As we take a look at these standings, let me know which game you want to go to, because we've all had nights where you got nothing on the schedule. There's a baseball game and you think, you know what, I want to be out there in the bleachers, or you know, maybe I'll get a suite. You know, maybe I'll sit in the upper deck. Whatever your vibe is that night. But you can open up the seat gee gap on your phone. Just look for the green dots, a green dot needs You're getting an amazing value. Yankee is going back to the Bronx for almost the rest of the month, So a lot of great seats at Yankee Stadium. The Blue Jays Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Will we see the return of Cody Bellinger in that series? Day off on Monday, and then next week you got the Astros for three, Boston for three. Saturday you got a one pm game against Boston and then I'm going to see Terminator two in the theaters, the thirty fifth anniversary thing. Me and my buddy are gonna watch it. And on next Monday week from Monday, you're out West to take on the Los Angeles Angels, of Anaheim, of California, of Earth. Anyway, Seakeek is seamless. Right now, we're saving you cash on your next out and use the code territory ten at check out to get ten percent off your next ticket purchase on Seki gets ten percent off of any tickets using the promo code territory ten. Do you so if a favor click the link in the description, download the seakik app, and that ten percent discount will automatically be applied to your MLB tickets. All right, let's take some voicemails here. Voicemail is brought to you by my new website, Baseball Therapy Baseball dash Therapy. If you scan that QR code, it'll ask you you want to save this as an app to your phone, and you can save it right to your home screen. We've got all sorts of really really cool dashboards and stories and podcasts all in one place. Videos, got games. Somebody asked me to add baseball solid. I did that today, So anyway check that out for me. All right, First voicemail of three about Spencer Jones.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you what Derek I think they're going to but I would have a hard time taking Spencer Jones out of this lineup. He has been looking really sharp the past week or two on offense and defense. I hope he's coming into form, but Having said that, the one thing that usually takes away from somebody coming into forum is when they have to sit the bench for an extended period of time and lose. For him, I want to hear it, you'd say, obviously we know better players are coming back, but the dude's starting to look pretty good, all right.
Speaker 2: I think at worst, he has put himself in position to be the centerfielder for the Yankees on opening Day next year. If there is a next year, I think there will be. There's been a lot of talk about the lockout and all that stuff. There's too much money to be made. They're gonna come to an agreement. And when they do, I think Spencer Jones will be the starting centerfielder for the Yankees. But in terms of what's gonna happen when Bellinger comes back, well, I think the outfield is going to be for the time being.
Speaker 1: I think, well, we'll see, We'll see. They might. They might keep Spencer Jones just because he's swinging the bats so well.
Speaker 2: I don't want to speak too soon, but Trank Grisham also swinging the bat well, So I mean, who do you take out? Ramo is certainly not going to get as much playing time.
Speaker 1: Bellinger. You know, he's one of the best defensive left fielders in the sport. So we'll see how it shakes out. Here's another call.
Speaker 4: If they send Jones down and heap Waymos on this team, we should write in the streets of the.
Speaker 1: Bronx appreciate the call.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I think they're gonna want to keep getting him at bats now. He'll probably stay in the lineup for a bit longer they I mean, it's tough because they really like Rosario. Do you want to release him? He can't be optioned. Do you want to release him or dfa him to keep Spencer Jones. I don't know, man, I don't know that you just traded for Ramos, who's a right handed power bat supposedly.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: There's gonna be a tough decision. It's gonna be tough to say. I'd keep Spencer out there. I keep him in right field.
Speaker 1: There's nothing call, Derek greg in Florida.
Speaker 4: Nothing to say other than we would be foolish to send Spencer Jones back down. When Cody Bellinger comes.
Speaker 1: Back, we'll see. There's another call, dere J j.
Speaker 4: From Wolfspare, Pennsylvania, feeling very excited about the game tonight. I saw the guy's laughing and joking the dugout. I felt the enthusiasm all night. This is what I missed. I'd see mid mid, mid eighth inning. So I think I'm we're pretty good. But Bellinger went one for three tonight right as of right now. But what a great game, my goodness, and I missed these games. It's been a while. And also, Spencer Jones did well tonight, and I was thinking of you when he was batting. I was wondering if chin straps are actually legal in MLB.
Speaker 2: I appreciate the call chin straps anyway, Cody Bellins, you're one for two tonight versus the nights in tripa A. You just hope that he comes through this healthy. You know what kind of player he is, and maybe being rested, he comes back strong. I think that for a while, you're gonna have three lefties in the outfield. I don't think you can send Spencer Jones back down until Judge's back.
Speaker 1: I think you gotta. I think you got a d favors even though you're losing the right handed bat man. It's tough. Here's another call, Hey, Danny. No, this is let's fucking go, all right. Appreciate the call, Danny, Let's go. Here's Steve rom main hy Derek.
Speaker 4: Steve's thought from Maine.
Speaker 5: I have two mind boggling questions. Number one, why is Elliott Ramos still playing? There are any number of players who can play a decent left field, including Rosario, who's hitting right.
Speaker 4: He's very well.
Speaker 5: Question number two, if he's got to play, why is the batting third? Makes no sense whatsoever other than the old cashman's going to prove he made a good trade.
Speaker 1: Appreciate the call. I'm hopeful that Ramos can get it going. We need him. But you know, maybe he becomes the new Rosario. We'll see.
Speaker 2: Take a look at the med Rosario who this year's numbers are not that great. He got off to a decent start, but he's hitting two twenty six ten home run six ninety four ops. Doesn't really give you a lot defensively. I know he's a nice guy. Hire him as a coach, you know, he's just not He's not worth sending Spencer Jones back to the minor leagues. I want Spencer on this roster, all right, one more time from mister John Sterling.
Speaker 1: Name over, Yankees win, yank.
Speaker 4: A.
Speaker 1: We're gonna let Mary Beth have the last word.
Speaker 5: Oh, Derek, it's Mary Beth.
Speaker 2: And it's five to one.
Speaker 4: And this is the way a ball game is supposed to look.
Speaker 5: Little ball, occasional home run.
Speaker 2: And I love how relaxed and happy Ramos looks in the dugout and Garcia too, and hole pitching. This is the way it is, little ball, putting it into play and then let's have a home run.
Speaker 5: Okay, that's the recipe.
Speaker 2: Okay, look forward.
Speaker 4: To this show tonight and I think Yankees win. The Yankees win.
Speaker 1: Appreciate it, Lly, No, sir Damas.
Speaker 4: Derek, you got that.
Speaker 1: Too, did we? Did we do that tonight? Destiny fulfilled.
Speaker 2: A long time, been a long time since we did know for Derek. But we broke it back out today and Garcia came through. All right, guys, I'll see you tomorrow. Hey, thanks for watching. If you're new to the channel, do all the YouTube stuff like and subscribe. Also, we've got a store Nyy Designs Dot Shop. It's got all sorts of fun t shirts, mugs, hats. You can also get podcast merch at Pinstripe territory shop dot com. We're also on every podcast platform, so go ahead and subscribe to the audio Verse as well and give us five stars if.
Speaker 1: You don't mind, if we earned it. We'll see you next time.