Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys Let's go.
Speaker 3: Are you ready for a break? Yes?
Speaker 2: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 4: Absolutely?
Speaker 2: Ready for a break? Yeah, and so much for that.
Speaker 1: It's time for the Break on Dallas Cowboys dot Com with Ambar Garcia, Brian brought Us, Nick Harris, and Derek Eagleton.
Speaker 2: It is Monday, September twenty first, twenty twenty four, Season twenty, episode number thirty five. Welcome to the latest edition of The Break Life, s WBC Morgan Studios. At the start, I said the twenty first, it's actually the twenty third gets everything wrong. Man. We get starting to show off wrong, but we gotta get going. Cowboys have brand. Yeah, Cowboys have a rough day yesterday. But in the there were some things that I think we'll talk about that as the game wore on, some areas where there could be some things that could be positives. All in all, though, it's hard to get positives out of yesterday. That was a tough tough game for them, especially coming off after what you saw a week ago against the New Orleans States, both times in the comfy confines of at and T Stadium. So let's start first. Baltimore wins twenty eight twenty five. Let's go around the table, give me the story of the game. We'll start with you Nick.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I talked about it last week, the structure of losses over the course of these last two seasons. It's getting blown off the ball defensively in the run game specifically, and Baltimore definitely had that game plan ready to go. Michael Parson said it after the game. They did exactly what everybody expected. They lined up in multiple situations where they were lining up Derrick Henry to have blockers in front of him between the tackles, and he went after that defensive line. I saw stat this morning. He had over one hundred yards in both of his touchdowns running between the tackles specifically, and Lamar Jackson obviously he had his ATHOUGHTICISNM on display. Everything that you expected from the Ravens offense, they did and they executed well. Now you mentioned the positives, and there were some positives I think you could take away, especially in that second half. They only allow the one Derek Henry touchdown in the second half, and other than that, it looked pretty clean from a defensive perspective, especially as they were starting to pick up some steam late. But I think whenever you look at how this team cannot stop the run at a historic level, it's a problem and it's kind of tough. I wrote about it a little bit last night because it's not like they can bring in personnel to make this situation better. It's not like there's a there's a fixed all out there. There's just kind of hanging in the balance that could help bring in. There are multiple issues up front. It kind of extends to all eleven.
Speaker 3: I think when you play against a quarterback that's this elite as a ball handler and as a runner, it's going to be difficult day. That quarterback was amazing, and then the way he played and it's the second week where quarterback hasn't had to throw the ball, which tells you the running game is But Lamar Jackson his ability to put pressure on you, to stress you in every way possible, they've got. Really that was a team that was in you know, they've lost coaches and some players. That's an AFC championship team last year, you know, going to and you could kind of see why they add Derrick Henry which was a great get for them. The physical the way that Dallas in this running game, and to me, honestly, on film, the New Orleans game looked worse than this one did. And I know it's Derrick Henry and it's big and all that I expect. I expect this quarterback to make plays. I knew that going in this was going to be a difficult task. The problems with your Cowboys defense is though, even when you get some guys that are doing exactly what they needed to do, you don't fit. Maybe you have the front does some thing and then the backers don't fit, and then you get the fit, but then you don't get the tackle. The margin of error for this Cowboys defense in the running game is very, very very small. They almost have to play everything perfect. And even when they get you know, they get crash ends and no fill and then they get upfield and then they get no fill and then they and then they get a fill and then they miss a tackle, you know, or the ball cuts back. I mean, you're gonna watch this game and you're gonna go There's some guys that played really actually pretty well. I mean Mazzie Smith for defensive tackle played pretty well in this football game. He did he did things he actually they needed to do with the defensive line. But their margin of error again is so so small because when they do get somebody in position to make a play. They had they had several carries yesterday where it was three yards, no yards, three yards, two yards, three yards. You know you're capable. You see them the abillity to play when they had to get the ball back. They really ratcheted it down on defense. I mean they got after it and they were controlling some blocks, and they were in position, and guys were playing and doing what they exactly need to do. But when they when one guy does not do his job in this run defense, it ends up being a twenty seven yard run or a touchdown run. You know, they got you in unbalanced one time on the goal line, and and Dallas was confused on how to play the front. Well, okay, give them credit for unbalanced line. They put the tackle over, they created a strength. Dallas wasn't sure guys standing around bull right there. You know, margin vera are very very small for this team playing run defense.
Speaker 5: Right now, I'm trying to keep my emotions neutral to where I'm not exaggerating too much, because again you got to keep in mind this is still very very early on in the season, but it moves alone very quickly. There's another game that's going to be played this Thursday, and I respect so many people on that side of the building and what they do and their job, and individually, I think there is a lot of talent on this team for players. But at the same time, a am I surprised in a way. And I'm saying this because it all goes back to that last game against Green Bay. Then you carry into what happened during the off season, which was not a whole lot. You're depending on these younger players, You're depending on drafting, and then hoping that Mike Simmer comes in here and changes the defense or gives the defense that extra bump that they needed, which I feel like right now is taking a step backwards from what we had with Dan Quinn. At the moment, I have my hopes were very very high based on what I saw during training camp, even the preseason, some of the things that Mike's showed defensively, I was very much looking forward to this defense just being so much better and having what they were missing. But it hasn't been the case. So it's just it's a lot to handle at the moment because given everything how last season ended, the off season, what happened, You're hoping not to have this kind of start of the year, and you're having that kind of start of the year, especially after you pay your quarterback and CD Lamb and I still think it's very well deserved money, and I still agree with the contract that they gave them both, But you cannot be playing that way, you know, City cannot be having because of now what happened with the contract and all that. You cannot be having those type of game games. And we talk about him being accent absent during training camp and holding out, and we had plenty of discussions around that, how is that going to affect his playing time once he gets on the field, And clearly it's been I mean, he hasn't been a playmaker so far in the offseason. He's had his moments where he's been good and successful, But it's just an as I'm speaking, I'm trying to come up with what could be the problem exactly, and I don't I don't know what the answer is here as far as what the issues are and how you quickly fix those problems. The only bright light blinking is, like you said, the running back. I mean, we'll talk about it later, but Dalvin Cook, that's another maybe hope there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think honestly, I think we all know, or at least I think there's a clear pattern of what we think. The problem is. They can't stop the run and they can't run. And when you play in the NFL and you can't stop the run and or run the ball, you're going to have a hard time to do because that means teams never have to on defense. Teams never have to get to that second thing. If you can't stop the run, they don't have to worry about the past. That's two weeks in a row been run out of the building and Team Devint had to throw the ball on you. So it's just it's hard to play defense when you can't stop the run and then being able to run the ball. I think some of the problems Dallas's experienced, particularly with the field goals and not being able to get farther than getting into field goal range, have been precisely because you can't run the ball. You get a compact field. If you can't run it makes it a lot harder to be able to pass. And so I think it really comes to those two things, running the ball stopping the run.
Speaker 4: And it's so funny because you go back to the very beginning of the offseason and Mobile Alabama, when Jerry Jones is like, Okay, this is what we want to do this offseason. Throw the all incomment out the window whenever he said, we want to run the ball better and we need to stop the run better. And they have not done either of those two things better than they did last season. And last season was putrid. And stopping the run and running the ball it was I think it was middle of the league. But now you're in the bottom of the league. You lost a playmaker and Tony Pollard at the end of the day, he was a thousand yard guy. At the end of the day, you do not have a thousand yard guy on this team right now. Going to the running stopping the run that point. This is via ESPN research. The Cowboys have allowed five hundred and fifty seven rushing yards. It's the most through three games in the entire NFL since nineteen sixty three. They have allowed five point four sixty three. Yeah, yeah, that's a long time nobody, but I was born six.
Speaker 2: You're born in sixty.
Speaker 4: This happened the year you went in sixty three. Remember, Oh, yes, so you weren't around for this. We're not around for this. They have allowed five point four yards per carry, the worst average through three games since nineteen seventy nine, and they have given up eight rushing touchdowns, the most of franchise history through three games. I mean, it's it's it's a historics pace how bad their run defense is. And like I said, it's such a compound problem that I don't know how you fix it with just one trade or one acquisition or one point. It's just it's it's mind blowing. Rian.
Speaker 2: I know you said you thought last week they were actually better this week than they were last year, stopping this last week, stopping the run. Yeah, talk me a little bit more about what specifically you mean by that one with regard to their what did they get better this week even though the results say that they were worse.
Speaker 3: Well, the thing that to me when you watched, the possibility of making plays was here this week. You know where you had you had gained It seemed like last week every time we looked up. It was second and two second in one. The whole day. You know, there were some times where they had a run for three, a run for three, a run for four, and then but you had chunk runs. You had those explosive runs. You know. Heck the quarterback, they bust a play, they bust he's fake and there's nobody to fake to. He just takes off running. But he gets you know, five yards, and you're you're kind of like going, damn, you got to get a stop there. The biggest problem to me right now is though, when they do put when they do get in position, they just like I say, overshown, miss some some tackles. You know, they had guys in position with Wilson to make plays. They've taken some poor angles along the way way. But you know, I, at least at the Saints, I kind of felt like every time the Saints handed the ball off that it was a chunk run. I mean, you go back and you go, okay, oh good stop, and you could kind of see why you could kind of you know, I the thing about you know, giving up eighty seven yards to Lamar Jackson, you kind of knew that was going to happen. You know, you knew that was gonna happen, that Henry Henry had one hundred and fifty one yards Russian twenty nine on the long run. You know, but there were time I mean, you were you know it was there were times where he had a three yard gain, he had another three yard gain and then he cut the ball back for seven and then another three yard gain. And you know, so to me, I didn't see three yard gains against the Saints. I saw big chunk runs from you know, Alvin Kamara, and this one it was a little bit to me. You know, they they've they've they've got themselves in position where they can make plays. And if they don't make plays, that's why I say the margin of air from them is so small on defense. You know, heck, they had a chance late in the game Henry Henry has a run and they have a chance for a tackle to knock the ball loose. I mean, he's flagging the ball and you just any other time that's probably gonna be you know, it's going to be a fumble. I mean if you just you know, you get that, you get with the tackle and getting bodies of the ball and now you're going to get the ball. You know you're gonna get an opportunity, but you know they just can't. They can't finish like they need to finish. And I felt like that to me, they did a better job of playing blocks up front, but when the when it came down to having to make that tackle, Okay, he's going to cut the ball back. Everything's taken care of front side. Where's the backside, where's the backside, where's the squeeze, where's the linebacker? Where's the tackle there? They are just seem like they're they're one player out of position every single time in that game yesterday where the Saints game, I felt like they were blocked. Everybody was blocked, And yesterday it just gave me a little bit more hope that if they have better fits, then maybe they can play a little bit better run defense. But it won the case yesterday.
Speaker 2: All Right, we're going to check our first break when we come back. I want to dive a little more even into that conversation and really go from the standpoint of if you had to kind of grade these different levels of the defense, the defensive tackles, defensive ends, linebacker, safeties, which would you say were more responsible for what we saw yesterday in the run game and which you think were better at the run game, even though again the results were not what the Cowboys want at all. We'll talk about that when we come back Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 6: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheatah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G Fast, reliable, secure.
Speaker 7: Five D requires can pay up and device five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com Slash five G for you fifty deals.
Speaker 8: If you can't be at the stadium, there's no better way to watch your Cowboys then on an LG O lead Evo TV. That's because everything you see is more lifelike, every play, every hit, I mean, you might just will be on the sidelines.
Speaker 2: That's how clear it is.
Speaker 8: It's all thanks to LG's legendary technology, perfect black over eight point three million self lit pixels.
Speaker 4: No one comes close.
Speaker 8: Lg O lead Evo is the best TV in the game for a reason. See for yourself at LG dot com slash o leadevo.
Speaker 9: Don't put off getting your oil change.
Speaker 4: Dallas.
Speaker 9: Take five Oil Change, a proud partner of the Cowboys, is faster than you think. There's no appointment needed and no waiting room.
Speaker 3: Yep, you hurt that correctly.
Speaker 9: Take five is so fast you don't even have to get out of your car. You can take advantage of Take five's fast, friendly and simple service at any of their locations across the Dallas area. And remember, at Take five you stay in your car because they're faster than you. Take five the official oil change of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 10: If you shout how about them Cowboys, you have that undeniable passion that's the heart of Cowboys Nation. And if you like to drink Doctor Pepper, you love the unique blend of its twenty three flavors. Together, you're one of a kind fandom paired with the one of a kind taste of a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper is the game day lineup that can't.
Speaker 4: Be beat better yet.
Speaker 10: Gather your cowboys and Doctor Pepper fan friends to watch the next game and crack open a delicious, ice cold Doctor Pepper for everyone.
Speaker 4: The winds will be even tastier. It's a pepper thing.
Speaker 11: Life doesn't stop when the economy is uncertain. The market might not care you have a wedding to plan or a kid to put through school, and inflation doesn't know you've got a family to feed. But Bank of America does and it's here to help. With digital tools to help you save and local experts nearby, you can keep life moving forward the way you need it to. Bank of America. What would you like the power to do? Learn more at Bankofamerica dot com. Bank of America and a member fd I see Eco Credit Opportunity Lender.
Speaker 2: Back to the break.
Speaker 5: LG O led Evil is the best TV in the game, but don't take our word for it, digit I hate you there. Digital Trends said the old LG oled D four has the best picture quality they've ever seen. Say it for yourself at LG dot com. Slash o led Evil.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to second segment of the Break Live from That's the BC Mortgage Studios. At the start of this segment brought to you by blockchain dot Com. All right, we're talking about the Cowboys versus Ravens. We're into it, We're into the defense. Here's my question for you. And I've heard what you guys said about this. So if we had to really kind of handicap this thing and say, okay, here were the position groups that were most responsible for the run defense being as good yesterday versus the ones that actually played Okay, where would you put them between the defensive tackles, defensive ends, linebackers, and safeties who were the most problematic yesterday.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I didn't love the play from the defensive ends. I expected maybe a little bit more from them. That being said, the defensive tackle situation is still bad. And I Ohsa diggi zoo. I think had had some more moments yesterday than he had last week against the Saints. He called more good moments, more good moments. Yes, he called that game the worst game of his career, and I think that was pretty accurate looking back on it. And like Brian mentioned, Mazzi, Smith had a couple of moments, but I still feel like he's a way below average players as a defensive tackle. The defensive line as a whole just has to be better. They have to be better in defending the run because then it's a domino effect to the rest of the defense. Then you're asking the linebackers to do multiple things on a play when a certain guy is not doing their job up front. And then if you're looking in the safety group, I, you know, I really like Mollie Cooker and Donovan Wilson, and I liked them as players, you know, as they started to get ingrained into Dallas. But I haven't seen anything from either of those two to warrant you know, me saying that they have played well through three weeks. And that's in the past game as well, but specifically in the run game, if we're talking about that specifically, we've gotten used to seeing Malik Hooker Phil running lanes and come up and make a play. We've gotten used to seeing Donovan Wilson, you know, take a guy's head off across the middle of the field legally, and we, of course, and we haven't seen that happen. And it's the safety play has been pretty bad as well, and it makes you wonder what the health is of Marquise Bell. He left yesterday with the ankle injury. Sounds like we'll get more on that end today. But if if he's to miss some time, then that only makes things more difficult for a safety group that you know hasn't been playing well either.
Speaker 5: I think, I mean, for me, there's no one that has been doing better. Actually, people trying to be superman around here. That's the problem, Derek.
Speaker 4: Everyone trying. Is that like.
Speaker 5: Give me a laugh or a smile or something. A tough crowd, A tough crowd. No, but it's it's collectively. Honestly. There are times that I see players and you talk about like for example, overshown players like that. But again, you have, or me, I have to remember where they're at in their careers and that that's where you can be so tough on them or rely so much of them, because you need help around you. You need the team to collectively be making place. And I think, going back to what Nick just said, even Donovan Wilson just they've lost that aggressiveness that they once had. Sometimes you see it them the tackling. They're not being aggressive tackling and getting to to the point where they're getting to the player and attacking that way, but also playing slower football like always. I've seen a lot of plays where they're just like a step behind and not just kind of not being at the same speed as the opposing team. And to me, that has been the biggest issue for me. They're just playing a little slower than the opposing team and not tackling aggressively enough.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the biggest problem, one of the one of the biggest problems they have is when that ball goes to the outside. They've been hurt so much by it that you get guys flying to get there or try to get there, and then all of a sudden you have everybody pinned to one side of the field and then the ball comes back, you know, the ball maybe comes back to the inside. I mean the immediately when that when it when the flow starts away from them, they are all flying to the ball. I don't you know, one time, when I used to live in this building or a valley ranch, you could walk down the hall and ask, what's your story with the crash ends? You know, you know you're talking about the ends and maybe is there something scheme wise you thought that like Okay, we're going to crash ends and fill on the outside. We're gonna fill with the safeties, We're gonna fill with the linebackers. You know, there was there was a couple of times where the where you see Tank and you see Micah just take inside charge and then there's nothing to the outside of that, you know, and then all of a sudden, now the ball goes to where you know, you get Jackson sees crash in and now he takes it, or you know, you play wide and then he gets you know, he did a masterful job of reading whether you were playing crash ends or trying to keep things wide. And there was a couple of times there where you know, to me, I I felt like that the linebackers it wasn't their best game. It wasn't The defensive tackles aren't great. Don't give me but I think Osa, I think Mazi. I think when you watch, you're gonna see, Okay, that looks positive, that looks positive. There's a couple of times where it doesn't look positive, but you're going you know that. I think, ain't that the way the Ravens play, It puts so much stress on you. It means it just you, like I say, you have to be perfect with you know, I mean, how about the times like when they when they run the jet and then you make the tackle, looks like but you know it's he pulls it pulls the jet and now you know everybody's you make the tackle and now he's running for nine yards?
Speaker 4: I mean, calling it positive or are we calling it positive in comparison to last week?
Speaker 3: I think it's positive in the way that I think in last week's was. I think last week was a total defensive failure. I think it was a total the Saints. I think the Saints physically beat you well. And I think that yesterday Dallas got some stops. You know that they got some stops in this game. Did they get enough stops?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 3: But to me, it just looks worse with that big Derrick Henry running the way he does, you know. I mean, I think you could have survived that Derrick Henry aim if they didn't have Lamar Jackson running the football too. But I just don't know. I mean, I'd love to have been able to walk down the hall and say, hey, was our plans playing crash ins and trying to fill that with safeties or linebackers. What was our plan there? Because there were several times where, like I said, they're so Dallas is so mindful now of the ball going to the edge. They got everybody running and then it's just that that cutback or that you get everybody going and they just turn and they push you and now it's up the field. So but I want to say that I think the linebackers probably didn't with the missed tackles. And you could throw Wilson in there. Wilson. We've seen Wilson play. He takes some kind of questionable angles sometimes, you know, and I think that you know, you got you know, the I'll give Carson some credit. He missed Nelson Aguilar, which was a huge play, fifty seven yard huge play. But from that point on, my guy was trying to tackle. He wouldn't. He was not going to be the guy that they said, wow, this guy missed. He tried his best to make plays and make tackles.
Speaker 2: And what I hate about it is, obviously we all see the highlight now of when Derrick Henry. Oh yeah, but question him, But but that's Derrick Henry. And I was telling my wife before this game, I was like I guarantee you, at some point in this game, Dereck Henry is going to make somebody look foolish. That's what he does to everybody. This is how he is. If he gets to a cornerback, if he gets in a situation where it's one on one with him in a cornerback, the vast majority of the time, that cornerback is gonna look foolish because that's the type running back that he is. And I agree with you, Brian. I thought, I thought, Kaylen, as the game got on went on, I thought his tackling, he got a little tougher with his tackle, and I thought it became a little bit better now that play obviously, it is what it is.
Speaker 3: It's terrible. I mean, to give up. They gave up. They gave up two plays yesterday to a guy. They gave up a guy played to a guy named Charlie Kohler. To me tell you what, Charlie Cooler is your third tied end for the Ravens. I mean, they're they're Mark Andrews and and likely didn't hurt you in this game.
Speaker 2: Yesterday it was a guy named Charlie Coches that zero.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a gay named Charlie Kohler had had a had a thirty nine yard catch and Nelson Aguilar had one catch for fifty six yards. Think about that. That's I mean, those are just two huge plays right there in this game. But they but I just think the stress of this of this Ravens offense, it could be too much. It could be and but there were times where I felt like that Dallas was there where they needed to be. They've just got to do a better job of finishing these plays. And I think when you guys get the opportunity to sit down and watch it, you'll you'll say, well, it's not like that all the time. But at least there were some things Saints game. I wouldn't encouraged it at all. Yeah, you got your ass handed to you. This one was a little bit more you some self afflicted things happened to you in this one.
Speaker 4: There's still probably some self reflection that needs to go on.
Speaker 3: Even if you do fine, I totally agree.
Speaker 4: Yeah, even if you do finish a game offensively in defensive on a high note. With that being said, yes, you have the Giants this week on a short week, I think that's a positive. Being able to kind of bounce back and potentially have a really good opportunity to get.
Speaker 3: Daniel Jones can't throwybe huh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then they got a wide receiver one that's legit, huh and one of your LSU guys, Brian. But I think when you look at the schedule after that, there's yes, it's early in the season, and you could probably use that as an excuse. Hey, there's fourteen games left. We can work some things out. The urgency kind of needs to be now though, you this thing could spiral out of control in a really quick way and a really tough manner. You go to Pittsburgh, who's all of a sudden three and oh, you come home and play Detroit, probably a pissed off Detroit team after what happened in Arlington last year. Then you got the bye week, and then you go to San Francisco, and then you got to play Philly and then Houston. I mean, it's it doesn't it doesn't stop. There are playoff teams waiting to come give you your best shot. And if you look up and you're two and five or three and four coming out of San Francisco, then we're talking about some some much different possibilities at the end.
Speaker 3: To me, guys, and correct me if I'm wrong, and I'm usually wrong, so you can correct me if you want to. But the thing about it is, though, if you if you're like two and five, like you're talking about, they're gonna let this thing ride. In my opinion, they're gonna let this thing ride. You know, they're gonna they're gonna say, okay, what do we you know, we'll take our ten draft eleven draft picks or how many draft picks you have, We'll take our cap money, We'll do what we have to do with the coaching situation. Again, I'm not I'm just saying, if it gets that point, I don't see them. This thing has to be going in a positive direction in order for me to believe that they're going to go out and make a trade if they had to make a trade. Yep, I just because if it's if it's okay, it is what it is. Let's just play it out. Let's see what happens, and we'll play all our young guys and see if we can get better that way. I know it's a terrible way to look at it, but I can see the front office just you know, why if we're two and five right now, why do we want to make a trade.
Speaker 2: Well, if you believe what Jerry's saying, it makes you think they're not making a trade at all.
Speaker 3: No, does.
Speaker 2: He keeps saying, I believe in that got the person some of that. That's why you have to be careful with Jerry because sometimes he says those things publicly because he's trying to make sure that publicly other teams don't look at and say, well, the Cowboys need it so you can get a lot out of them. But that's what he's saying publicly right now, is that he believes in this, in this, in this personnel. And if that's the case, it doesn't sound like that's something that they're moving toward.
Speaker 3: I just don't know if A lot Probably depends on how the division looks at the time too. You know, if you're but if you're two and five, you know, where are you going? Halfway?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: You know? Are you really?
Speaker 7: Are?
Speaker 8: You?
Speaker 3: Really? Should I make a trade here to try and get sing to five hundred right or you know? But a lot depends, I think on the division as well.
Speaker 4: I will say I think this, I think nine and eight wins this division I'm at. Every week goes by, I feel I thought it was at this division. I don't. I don't believe in Philly's ability to get to ten, and obviously I don't feel that way about the Cowboys, Giants and Commanders right now either.
Speaker 2: I will tell you this. I also don't think that at this point, I don't think there'll be two teams from the NFC is going to the playfast. So you better win the division if you have playoff fast pirations. Yeah, absolute division.
Speaker 4: I think.
Speaker 2: All right, let's go ahead and take our final break. We'll come back. Let's talk about the offense, because the offense struggled, although the score doesn't show it as much, they struggled pretty much do most of that game. And we'll talk about that and what would wrong for them yesterday.
Speaker 3: We'll be back.
Speaker 2: Dallas Cowboys dot com Radio.
Speaker 12: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black, and right now, Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy liftball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 13: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agen Turf offers a winning lineup of John Dear equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors, combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, cater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official lagonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Dagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 8: If you can't be at the stadium. There's no better way to watch your Cowboys than on an LG ole lead Evo TV. That's because everything you see is more lifelike, every play, every hit, I mean, you might just will be on the sidelines.
Speaker 2: That's how clear it is.
Speaker 8: It's all thanks to LG's legendary technology. Perfect Black over eight point three million self lit pixels.
Speaker 4: No one comes close.
Speaker 8: Lgoled Evo is the best TV in the game for a reason.
Speaker 2: See for yourself at LG dot com.
Speaker 4: Slash O Leadevo.
Speaker 14: From the field of the Festivities, lu Casey embodies the essence of luxury and tradition. Handcrafted with meticulous precision, Each pair of unmatched comfort and style stand tall while you're tailgating or cheering in the stands with the Dallas Cowboys Collection by Lucasey. Shop the collection today at the Lucasey store at the Star in Frisco, or online at lucasey dot com. Lu Casey the official boot of the Dallas Cowboys and Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders.
Speaker 6: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has at and t five g. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G Fast Reliable.
Speaker 7: Secure five G requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your area. Seeatd dot com Slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 5: Back to the break, Thank you, miss hey, can the connecting changes every Welcome back.
Speaker 2: We were in the final segment of the Red Life SWBC Mortgage Studios at the start, present about LG. LG is the world's number one l ed TV brand for eleven years in counting seidelg dot Com, Ford slash O, led Evo. All right, here we're gonna do. Let's talk about the offense. DAK yesterday was twenty eight fifty one fifty five percent completion rate, three hundred and seventy nine yards, two touchdowns, zero I in t's a ninety one point nine rating. And the one thing I can say that I really loved about DAK yesterday, which I don't know that I always see a lot of times when games go off the rails for them, it just kind of keeps going off the rails for them. It doesn't seem like they ever find their way to get back in, and yesterday, I think in the fourth quarter they find found a way to get themselves back in. It wasn't enough, and it doesn't absolve them of all the problems that we're having before that, but it did show me something there where I don't always see that from this bunch. But let's talk about what went wrong. Tell me why in the first three quarters we saw on offense.
Speaker 4: I've said enough about the running game. I'm not gonna sound like a broken record there. I think everyone knows how I feel about that, But I want to give kind of context to a situation that has to do with with CD Lamb. You look at last year, when did this offense really start to turn things up. It's when CD spoke up after that San Francisco game, was like, throw me the damp ball, and they started throwing him the damn ball, and it ended up working out pretty well as the season went on that he ended up having a franchise record setting season. Dak had an awesome year. He could arguably say it's his best or second five week six, Week six that right after Week six, I believe you look at how ced Lamb has affected these first three games, and it's been minimal. It's it's not been to the level that you would expect from a CD Lamb. Now, let's look at yesterday specifically, he has the meltdown moment in the first half on the on the play where he was going into the end zone, there was a pass interference call, but it was offset by a holding call in the backfield, and he starts slapping his hands in the end zone and then he goes to the sideline at the end of that drive, gets into it with Dak and Zach Martin. And then in the second half and the second half where they put together nineteen points in the fourth quarter and they were mounting a comeback attempt, Ceede Lamb was nowhere to be found. He was on the field, but it was it was lazy route running. There was poor body language the entire second half. One reception for nine yards in the second half from the guy you just paid thirty four million dollars a year or two. And it's amplified whenever you go to the sideline and you see his body language, you see him communicating with Dak Prescott and in a not so friendly manner, Zach Martin in a not so friendly manner. When you see the on field performance and it's compounded with that, you have to look at it. And I think last year we saw this offense move at Cede Lamb's pace when it was at its best, and right now, Cede Lamb does not have a pace, He does not have a rhythm. Is that a product of him not having a training camp? Probably so, But at the end of the day, he's gonna have to be able to in a sense grow up and be able to find that, be a little bit more accountable and answer to these questions about why he is not been the playmaker that we expect Cede Lamb to be week in and week out. Whether that's an early season thing, not having a training camp thing, whatever it is, He's gonna have to be able to find it because one reception for nine yards during a comeback attempt, it's not acceptable. And I think at the end of the day, whenever you look at, yes, the running game huge problem. Yes, there is probably not a huge playmaker outside of Ceedee Lamb and Jake Ferguson. Yes, but you still need CD Limb to show up because I think if Ceede Lamb shows up in that game yesterday, I think they won that ball game.
Speaker 3: As well said really well said, Yeah, I think that if you look at early in the game. They tried to take some shots and some opportunities and had some breakdowns at various times. Guys weren't open, you know, maybe the ball. You know, they take a deep shot down the sidelines to Cook. It looks like to me it was defensive holding. The guy kind of gets a little tug on the jersey there. They don't call it, but seemed like Ron Tolbert and that crew was going to call every penalty known to man in that game yesterday. They just didn't call that one. You know, you start to think about some of the other throws that they had, you know, the problems with some of the line, the pressure unblocked Guy Hamilton one time getting home. You know, there was some things that they just did not do in the first part of that game that was winning football. You know, they just would have a breakdown here, or quarterback would make a decision here, you know, the quarterbacks luck he didn't throw an interception, you know, right there, playing like a cover two look and he's trying to fit the ball inside. To Ferguson, that's a bad read. I mean, he's thinking cover too, But what happens to safety walks down we've talked about playing a robber, you know, where the safety gets in the middle and then they so they're trying to take away anything underneath. Well, he's throwing the ball to Ferguson. He never sees the safety come down. He just throws the ball thinking Ferguson's going to be open there. The offense was just really no rhythm to it. And you're talking about Lamb and what he he didn't do in this game. And there were a couple of times where ball went the other guy and you could see it on tape where he's like he's like shrugging and you know, palms up, and but let me tell you this, his the one time they did find some rhythm. His fumble was awful, Like the worst possible time you could fumble in a game.
Speaker 4: Even if you just come away with three points. Right there.
Speaker 3: It's crazy. It's crazy how they're not doing anything anything up to that point and now they find a little rhythm moving the ball. The Texas routes, you know, they're kind of they're kind of bulp, they're kind of going down the field, and then all of a sudden, you get that fumble, you know, and you're and it's like just totally just takes it out, you know, and then they didn't really come back. The Tucker miss field goal kind of got everybody. Okay, you know, defense is actually playing. You know, here we go and the Ravens will give it to you. Now we've we've talked about the Ravens. The Ravens will let you back. And we had Rod Woodson on the pregame show yesterday. Yeah, we have had some trouble finishing games here. You know, that's something. You know, the Ravens tried to kind of let you come back into this game. But you're right about CD and you know, but his but his fumble was was is backbreaking of a play of anyone you had. And they had a lot of bad plays just in run defense and stuff like that, but that right there, they needed those points, They needed that opportunity, and you know, they came away with nothing.
Speaker 4: It was the only turnover in the game yesterday. Yeah, it was a back breaking Like you said.
Speaker 3: Well see and what I was talking about at the end when it was Clark, I went back and looked Clark had a chance. When you watch it, Henry's kind of in the air and the balls away and Clark's coming behind. That's a that's a punch out. And then the ball. You know, now you got bodies over there that could have been Dallas ball and you know, and now the momentum really is going your way, you know, but they it's young guys. You got to know when you have a runner exposed, go for the ball, try and knock that ball loose.
Speaker 5: Well, we've all played some type of sport of game where we've always been competitive and you get mad when you're losing and all of that. And you mentioned the whole CD Lambs reaction and we've seen the clips, even Micah Parson and the Marcus Lawrence. Are you guys concerned at all about kind of the attitude that's being showcase and shown right now or because we know one, yes, it can be part of the game and you being upset and caring about it, but two, we can easily derail to something else that you don't want to go.
Speaker 3: There or get.
Speaker 4: There's only one thing that can fix it.
Speaker 2: And by the way you start winning, all that turns into high fives and pats on the button. Hey man, we love you and all I'm seriously inappropriate, but it all it's all. It's all related to how are you performing? This is just a byproduct of what's happening on field. Guys are frustrated because they feel like they don't really and what it says to me more than anything else, is they don't have answers because you when you know the answer, then you're not as frustrated. You just know, Okay, we do this, we can do this. When you start getting where you're getting into it, that says to me, there's a level of frustration, and that makes me think, do they really know what the problem is.
Speaker 3: I think that fumble affected CD in a in a bad way, definitely. I think I think at that point in time, his attitude about you know, about how he was playing and what needed to be done, and he knew he tried had to try to make up for that, and he got more and more frustrated. I've I've made a living being on the sidelines of NFL games. You don't realize how much yelling and screaming really goes on in a game, at players and coaches, at coaches on players and players on coaches. I told stories before. You can't the number of f bombs that are that go back and forth, like you got to call this defense and you well, if I put you in this position, you've got to make the You know, there is a lot of where the camera doesn't always pick up, but there is.
Speaker 5: A different level of the world.
Speaker 3: Well no, but but but but but but there's frustrating moments of a game, you know, where you're not playing, you're just getting the ball run down your throat.
Speaker 2: And when they challenge each other, and they and they do challenging.
Speaker 3: They do, they very much challenge each other. And you know, you but I've lived down there and people have asked me, what does it bother you? And I'm like, no, because I've seen it. I've seen it go, I've seen it happen, and then it made things actually better. Yeah, you know, everybody kind of then just kind of racked.
Speaker 5: Well, the example that he brought up last year with CD of forty nine Ers game.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I think one thing that I brought about this as well last night too, after that San Francisco game, And what happened after the game last night after the San Francisco game, he was in the locker room, he was challenging people, and he was also taking a little bit of accountability in his own right. Yesterday he was nowhere to be seen. And open locker room is going on right now as we're recording, and I hope Cede Lamb is in there because he has questions to answer at the end of the day. And you know, having that one hundred and sixty or excuse me, one hundred and what is what is the what is the paycheck? What four years thirty four million dollars for or whatever whatever it is? More than what that comes more responsibility, and it also comes more accountability. And you got to be able to answer to those things. And Dak Prescott's having to go to the podium and answer for you because you weren't in the locker room to answer that answer those questions. You know that That's kind of where where I feel.
Speaker 2: Like up And one thing I will say is I loved how Trayvon after the game was accountable in that way, like he stood up there and said, I got to make that play, which he does like he is your big time yeah, big playmaking paid cornerback. And for there to be a situation like that, We've come all this way back into this game and it's a simple out route and you're not there to make the play. Like He's right, he's got to make that play. But I like the fact that he's accountable to that, and my expectation is he will be better in future weeks as a result of that. But that's that's the point. When you're the big time paid, relied upon player, when you are the face because of the amount of money that you make, there's an expectation that you're going to deliver in the most critical moments, in the moments when nobody else is stepping up, that's when you should be the one stepping up. And that's where I'm looking at at CD and saying, hey man, this is what comes with the dinner when you get that big payday. This is what comes with it.
Speaker 5: I know we're about to end the show, but super quick while were y'all's thoughts on the comments that Michaeh.
Speaker 4: Parsons made, understanding and putting in an into context for what DeMarcus Lawrence also said. I think there's probably you got the two leaders on that defensive side of the ball vocally, who are DeMarcus Lawrence and Michael Parsons, And I think sometimes they probably contradict each other and I think one of those moments was yesterday and you see the moments of frustration between DeMarcus Lawrence and Michael Parsons on the sideline, and you know that being amplified on you know, Sports Center and whatever last night. I think when you take that into context of what the comments Michael Parsons made, he's like everybody's trying to be Superman. If everybody just does their job, like we'll be fine, I think he also kind of needs to look in the mirror and look a look at some sense in some ways that he can do his job as well. I a was hoping for a little bit more accountability in that sense too, But nevertheless, at least he's speaking, at least he's vocal about it, and at least he's challenging others rather than you know, kind of sitting in the corner and then walking out.
Speaker 3: What bothered me yesterday I heard three different things Mike McCarthy about preparation, Dak Prescott about preparation, and Tank Lawrence about preparation.
Speaker 5: Those comments made me raise an eyebrow, for sure, and they were very clear about it.
Speaker 2: And when Dak talked about professionalism and was asked about what that really means. It was all about hey, being a pro. That means the amount of time he mentioned, the amount of time you spend in the in the in the watching film, like those are the kinds of things that make me say, WHOA Is that a product.
Speaker 4: Of being a young team? Is that a part oft of being a young team or is it a product of having too many immature bodies around? Because I I feel like whenever you look at the youth of the team and the guys who are young, I don't feel like those guys are immature. If you look at a Tyler Guiden, or you look at Harris Lua Foul, if you look at a marshawn neland even though like a Luke scoon Maker, these guys are not necessarily immature.
Speaker 2: But youth would be a thing. If it was youth, then then my question is how are they being led? Because you know is when you're a young guy, you kind of going in looking around, like what do we do around? And if the vets are in there watching film, you're probably thinking like I probably should be in there too.
Speaker 5: We just got into the good conversation at a rundown for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: But you know, we'll get think about it getting good.
Speaker 3: Dak Prescott's preparation is off the charts kind of stuff. You know, that's the thing that you know you're never going to be to his level. But to me, when he makes that coming and then McCarthy, that's the one that got me because you're the head coach, you know, and he's like, well, some weeks you could have bad practices and play really well. And I'm like, so you're telling me you didn't practice very well.
Speaker 4: This Thursday's practice was really bad. And talking to the players in the locker room talking McCarthy, Thursday's practice was bad. And that's that's the final, real big practice and put together.
Speaker 3: Because nobody practices on Wednesday. They'll take the veteran days and stuff like that.
Speaker 4: So yeah, Sorr, he wasn't there. I mean, yeah, that's the wrap.
Speaker 2: We'll be back tomorrow, and tomorrow we will get into this because I had a whole topic I wanted to do on accountability because there were some very interesting comments. We'll talk about that a little bit more tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Wednesday, can we do the scouting report for the offense and defense for the.
Speaker 2: Ironically, we won't be doing shows Lane yes, So tomorrow we're gonna do a Giants in Defense breakdown tomorrow UH for for the Giants on Wednesday night. And then Wednesday we will all be on a flight heading out to UH to New York getting ready for Cowboys versus Giants. It's gonna be a quick tun around until then for Nick Harris. Brian brought us Ambergarcia. I'm Derek Eagleton. This has been the Break Alive on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.