Speaker 1: Hey guys, welcome to another episode of Eating While Broke. I'm your host, Colleen Wit and today we have very very special guests, DC Young Fly What it Do?
Speaker 2: What it Do? I thought we was already recording.
Speaker 1: Oh you that was crazy.
Speaker 2: You was putting on the twenty five minutes. I just knew it. I was like, what is good and none of that? She's gonna get used? Oh my lit.
Speaker 1: So what are you gonna have me into day?
Speaker 2: Oh we're starting for real?
Speaker 1: What's you going for me?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: This is how the show going? Okay, all right, well wait is it gentlemen?
Speaker 3: Today man beating noodles?
Speaker 2: I got something? This one of the O G classic O G classic triple o G. You know when you add that the hot dog in the dish, you kind of like, what's the what's the school they go to to go to be a chef? Culinary school, No, not color, it's culinary, but caught on blue? Yeah, it's like the stage right before caught on blue, Like, show me your dish, Like, oh that's that? So you whip out? Did put it with the noodle? You caught on blue? That motherfucker? But what kind of sauce do you get? I pould have told you to get the sweet baby raid. But it's all good will.
Speaker 1: All this time, and you just not realizing the missing and creating.
Speaker 2: But no one I realized what we were doing. I forgot the extra. But now that I'm here, I'm like, damn, it is a little bit more to it. But this the main dish.
Speaker 1: Okay, So what's the missing sauce?
Speaker 2: He said, Sweet baby Rain?
Speaker 1: What is it? Is that hot sauce?
Speaker 2: Sa?
Speaker 1: Yeah, barbecue sauce?
Speaker 4: Know? Ray Bo?
Speaker 1: Wait you add that to ramen? You don't know about Sweet Baby Ray? Do you really add that to your ramen?
Speaker 2: You don't know about sweet baby?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: I know every black every Listen. If you still eat hot sauce, you are technically asleep. We have been past the hot sauce stage. That ship was ninety nine to the two thousand. When back that ass up came in, We own sweet baby Ray. Okay, he got some motion. He got this sweet chilney. That really the one that heat.
Speaker 1: Is Atlanta based or something?
Speaker 2: Sweet Baby?
Speaker 1: Why?
Speaker 2: Okay, sweet baby Nation ride as soon as you're going to barbecue. He got a whole six You ain't did like like a little like shill. She would have got shell shell shill, come on down. Okay, you look at the.
Speaker 1: Whole hour, you're like, oh this sweet Baby Ray.
Speaker 2: They all him. No, you gotta add that on top of that. And sweet Baby Ray good with steak chicken, just a good little you know what I'm saying, little additive. You know what I'm saying. You could put into whatever you got. Man.
Speaker 1: You know, I really wish I would have tried it with the sweet baby right now.
Speaker 2: You ain't never had sweet baby well, not with.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know what, you will be the first guest to ever do ramen with hot dogs with sweet Baby Ray. It would have been It would have been legendary.
Speaker 2: See, sweet Baby Ray need to go hand and put me in the commercy. Yeah.
Speaker 1: At this point, no cap the first thing come up?
Speaker 2: You't not a half Sweet Baby Ray. What so I'm gonna show you what I'm gonna do with it though, here's a butter. Y'all got beef. Let me show you something.
Speaker 1: We have beef and chicken.
Speaker 2: Don't worry about We're gonna mix it up. We're gonna get both on.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you have enough water.
Speaker 2: We got no water. That's not big.
Speaker 1: No, that I'm gonna stay out the kitchen.
Speaker 2: You are so thoughtful. We don't need all that. We're gonna get this right, beef, you can't even be next to We're gonna chovel up. You got chopped up like you gonna doose with. Oh this real bef cut at the end. Okay, then got a butterfly. Who you got a butterfly? Butterfly sticky in the middle, so we can burn in the middle. All right, to all my real noodle uh uh pioneers out there, what's the first thing you do with the with the noodle? What you do with the noodle? You break it? All right? Did you know did something before?
Speaker 1: Don't no matter eat long asso, I don't do all that puts as ship.
Speaker 2: We want to do to be right here, Nigga be seeing her here twisting it this ship and you just put his ass on. Man, we won't laod noodle.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 1: I've never seen someone cut the hot dogs before they boil.
Speaker 2: You're gonna cut hot dout. You see the pet you gotta save it. When you see how fool it is, you're like, Yeah, that's a lot of South. All the young kids know that South. You got to have you some South, but the beef South? Yeah, which one better beef for chi chicken?
Speaker 1: Well, I'm an anti beefer.
Speaker 2: And you know what, I'm gona be a trip. I can't eat chicken. It's just a I'm still up here about the kid myself for this show.
Speaker 1: There's no chicken in it. No, yeah, but I'm saying so to remove the flavor.
Speaker 2: So this is really but no, but this has been like put to the side, being prepared like it was gonna be chicken. So we gotta chicken.
Speaker 1: Okay, damn, I was gonna mix the sauce.
Speaker 2: I almost did it again. It's all good.
Speaker 1: You don't put that in there right out, and that's that's what you coust.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, all right, you were doing that sometime. When you crush them up too much, you look stupid. And now they look like frosty flake. They just in the little Okay. Then we're gonna talk these like him like there's some oysters and you let that cool.
Speaker 1: Okay. So take me back to what was going on when you were eating ramen consistently.
Speaker 2: It was some dope for real real.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So it wasn't making a profit.
Speaker 2: No, it made enough profit, but you know, you. You gotta like manage your money. And you know what I'm saying, don't don't live over your means. You know what I'm saying. Like I knew then, like a right, I could survive off of churches two piece three no three three two and a wing and two biscuits. I do that two times a day on Strape. I I ate, I thought I did. No niggas, you ain't eat you badly getting back. You feel what I'm saying. But as a youngster, you're like shit that She called me salm dollars to the max and I made three four hundred today. She the hell, I'm up here e one hundred dollar worth of food for So you know that was that was around about that time.
Speaker 1: How old were you? Nineteen twenty, nineteen twenty and then I just want a quick picture of your home life growing up. My home life parents together, separated, not be.
Speaker 2: Separated, been separated. So I was like six years old. Uh, Dad stayed on Bankhead. I stayed at Adamsville. Mom stayed at Addamsville with the Carver Maids. CRIM graduated from CRIM. That's a another public school on the East Side, but it's an alternate school open campus. You could be four there and come back and get your ged right. You being playing with a niggas sixteen? You like, were you all it for? He was a nigga in the bathroom. I knew that nigga under cover. Bro. When we shooting dice right, I look up. I'm like the nigga ugly, but he looked old and fault. He probably like every little bit of twenty something. And I tapped my pondict because I'm thinking it's police on the coat. I'm like, bro hoo, little hold, little hold, little I said, hey, brow, I said, who you here? He telling me woo woo, And I'm like, you go to school here? You were like yeah, he got a notebook and everything. I was like, what program you in here? Like I'm in the GED program. I was like, how old you in? He was like I twenty eight. I was like, bro, we seventeen. You in here with some seventeen yold But how my money you got to put out? So we gat up with an old lad nigga. So them the type of environments that I was in when I was growing up. In nineteen twenty, I'm just outside just trying to figure it out.
Speaker 1: How did you end up an alternative school, were you?
Speaker 2: I got called in school some week.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you selling weed pretty much?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll selling we at school. Don't do that kids, That's bad, that's that's a crazy feeling. It You don't even know what you're getting yourself into. You think you're ge getting some money, but they got a real no drug say zero drugs at school and that shit coming like ten charges that you don't even know nothing back.
Speaker 1: So when you're at that age, did you have an idea on what you wanted to do with your life.
Speaker 2: As a youngster. No, I wanted to play ball. I wanted to play ball. I really had a dream in basketball. And then once I told I was no good, it fought me up. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: So who told you were no good?
Speaker 2: A coach? I think you still living a nigga ain't comet.
Speaker 1: He was playing at high school and it was.
Speaker 2: Just like, yeah, I went to another high school when I got kicked out of my first high school, I went to another high school and there was a little bit more advanced. You know how certain school be more advanced. So you good over here, but over here you ain't really that good. You know what I'm saying. The boys advance and like you're playing in the country and you're like, but he nigga died. He's so sorry. Did you come into city? You like, but you you need to go back to the country. You don't get a better chance at the country. So that type of I understood that once I got older, because at car we were just starting the school and in the particular school that I was at, at School of the Arts, I kind of had like the best jump shot, you know, I had the best potential that could represent that school. You know what I'm saying. You know, I like you, maybe all right, but if we need a team, we're gonna at least start with you. You know what I'm saying. We ain't got to train you. You know what I'm saying. But when I went over there to made them balls over there, like the boy go to summer league and all this extra shit, and I'm like, oh yeah, I ain't do the summer league programs and all that. I just waited to basketball season to come around. Y'all niggas do this ship year round. While I'm playing baseball, you still playing basketball. So it was like, oh yeah, and Once that shit happened, it was just like, all right, I'm in the streets for real, Like, all right, what did they to do? Because I thought it was gonna be basketball? And since it ain't basketball, and what what did you say? Oh? Yeah, I started saying cocaine fifteen sixteen years old. I saw cocaine the next week.
Speaker 1: Okay, you're still in school, though, Yeah, okay, so you're in school, you're selling cocaine your basketball teams. Okay.
Speaker 2: So it like he took my dreams and put them in the ball like space jam and boot it that bitch, and I ain't never seen it again. I just I've been sorry. I go on to the basketball court. You I'm like, bro, I play like I believe him. I'm like, that's what you were talking about. It wasn't gonna never make it. So it was like, yeah, but that's why I don't crush people dreams now, because I done been in like certain situations where I know what they feel like. I can't cruse nobody dreams. As a child, it was it was crazy that they had to be that real and that harsh, you know what I'm saying. But it was good that I had at an early age, because somebody who may think they're strong probably went through that. Like at twenty five, you feel, men, they don't even know how to deal with that shit. You're thinking, you read it, you feel I'm saying, but I had to deal with that shit at an early age, like somebody telling me some shit that I believed in since I was a child and tell me that I was no good and then I wasn't gonna be shit with it, and it was just like find something else to do. It was like, I ain't never heard that in my life, you know, And once that happened, I was just like, all right. I was always open minded to doing new ship if this don't work. So I've been like that since fifteen. If this don't work, I'm gonna do that. If that don't work, I'm gonna do that.
Speaker 1: So what made the drugs not work?
Speaker 2: I ain't say that didn't work.
Speaker 1: Well, you you pivoted out of it.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it just wasn't for me, okay, So what.
Speaker 1: Was the thing that made it not for you?
Speaker 2: It was just God telling me it wasn't for me.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 2: It was just you gotta be you gotta be paying attention when when you go through shit and he make you sit still and it's a it's a time of reflection, you know what I'm saying. You have to really reflect and try to make sure that your next move is your best move. You know what I'm saying. So the person that y'all know today and who who I become and who I am and what I stand for, was a person that was just like a right, I had a street mentality just like that, Like how I'm so adamant by doing this. I was adamant in the street. I was adamant, like I won't to see a drugs Like if we got to meet the plug, I gotta learn how to whip cocaine, Like I'm trying to whatever lane there was, well, there were the money was being made. I have to learn that and be that and do that. And I got stabbed up in twenty thirteen and I had to sit down and really just reflect on my life and figure it out. And that's when Divine and the Comedy came about. You know, when I had nothing, God knew that I had to take my hands away because you have see a dope.
Speaker 1: Hand yetta, is that where you got hurt?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I got stabbed bright here, and I got stabbed over here, and I got stabbed in my back. Okay, so it was like I was in the cast for a couple months, long time. But it's like when you when you break bones and you shatter bones and you cut things, that's along recuperation, Like that's a long especially when you have to relearn to use things. You can sit there and be like, I'm gonna get my feeling back, but you don't get that actual muscle memory. You have to work on that, you know what I'm saying. Especially when something happened to you and then you like have to start over. You will think like, oh my han ain't gonna come back like this. No, if I wasn't doing this every day, I should have been just like this stuck.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 2: So I had to work on it. And that was a time of reflection and trying to me get my life together. And then that's when the Vine came about.
Speaker 1: You said, Vine, Vine, Vine, the infamous vine. Six second video.
Speaker 2: Six second video.
Speaker 1: Okay, so vine comes off, You're coming out of the cast.
Speaker 2: I'm still in it. My hand on woulcuperate to like two years later.
Speaker 1: Okay, So what happens with Vine.
Speaker 2: My Boy Fat and paid my Boy Money bad Mafia US twenty five hundred. We all started on that vine together. Back then it was a it was a it was a union of Atlanta viners and that was we represented Georgia at the time where people don't know. Vine was a huge thing for people that was on social media and people represent a side of town. Like people may looked at him like it was people like that was on vine. No, we was representing like like Georgia because you got Nola that's how people know, Soup of Them and Tokyo Vanity because they represented Louisiana. And now I know that because I was in that area. You feel me. So it was like, who's in Louisiana popping? They was popping? Who is Georgia popper? Me and my partner's popper, And it was like, that's how keen Badge popping? Oh them, that's the West Coast niggas. Oh you feel what I'm saying. So it was like everybody was representing something and once that popped off, it was like people was following it. I ain't know how big it was. I ain't even know people was doing this on their spare time. I was selling dope. I did not know people was on the internet looking at video.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but Vine was a very challenging application because it was six seconds to get It wasn't a six second how long was it was?
Speaker 2: It was six seconds. You gotta also understand. And that's crazy that I think about like that. I wasn't paying attention to none of that ship. So you weren't on socials at all? No, No, I was on social but I'm like Facebook checking d M hoping somebody said something. And then like like it was that type ship, like you know, that regular life ship, Like did she write back ass niggas?
Speaker 4: That was?
Speaker 2: That was me? You know what I mean? Like, what what is that to do on Facebook? Besides scroll on your feet? Yeah, but that's I'm gonna sit down and do that later on. But we're not recording no videos on them. I know. I'm in the streets, man, this ship is telling on yourself. What am I recording?
Speaker 1: So you in the streets? You adopted divine platform.
Speaker 2: I was nervous.
Speaker 1: You were nervous, big.
Speaker 2: Over here, Like I know you're talking, but you hurry up.
Speaker 1: So you're on the buying. Was it hard to adopt the six second comedy.
Speaker 2: It was hard to adopt doing that ship anyway, because I ain't know what that ship was.
Speaker 1: Were you editing videos or just shooting in that's just six seconds.
Speaker 2: It ain't no time. We can't edit them. It was like La the La Cruise be editing. But we knew we was different from them. I told my part and I said, hey, bro, they're great at this, Like they're already sitting a standard in the mark of saying all right, there's a level to get to. But look, bro, were in the hood. Bro, we can't flip no call. I told my band. I said, Bro, we can't be coming up with sh thinking we're gonna flip a car and then hoping we get somebody to edit it. That's gonna flip. No, nigga. I got roaches in my house. I'm gonna show them these roaches that I can flip. Ain't God damn, that's what they gonna get. And when I did it and were like, look at the roads, was likely so fascinated about its rope. I was like, I got some long so like, I was just fascinated that they was fascinated by this ship, like they've never been in the UOD and I would just open up the door, just like what this hood life was about. But how we can just keep our You know what I'm saying, humility about ship. You feel what I'm saying like we were good. The way you look at us is like those guys over there, they're in the ghetto and there's some thugs and I'm like, nah, nigga, we really be laughing and ship off, buddy. Yeah, you feel like, look at this ship. Now you're intrigued because I'm showing you a day in the life of what did Like if you've watched me and you follow me, I literally showed you a day in the life of my life. Yeah, I showed you how it started, from where it started to where I am. Now these motherfucker being in my goddamn face.
Speaker 1: So you're doing successful, You're starting to pick up on buying. What's your next place? We go to Instagram because the time is long, time is longer. And not only that, it was like, weren't nobody over there, nobody and this is before vine falls off complete and they.
Speaker 2: Really weren't falling off. It was just they had other apps that was being competitors and they was giving us more seconds, and it wasn't really no way for us to make income off of Vine like that. It was more so notoriety. And when Instagram came out, it was a little bit more faster than Vine, and the income started coming when people wanted you to come out for appearances and stuff. You're not getting called out for appearances on the Vine, but I came out this shit. You just known on one of these little social media platforms. And back then the big labels didn't really know what to do with these upcoming social media stars. They knew people from YouTube. And you gotta also understand my arranger. YouTube we're watching We're going on YouTube to watch fights, ships.
Speaker 1: Like world star type.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like we ain't even going on there, but watch nothing productives not long. We got the access to go look up anything. We won't We're going on world start looking for a fight.
Speaker 1: So you're you're so you're you. You're able to take your fan base off of Vine and transfer to Instagram, which is a huge feat. Okay, so you take your fan base, you switch to Instagram, you realize that you have something. When do you actually realize that you have something enough? Well, let me backtrack. After the hand situation. You completely stopped doing deal dealing, right, Yeah, I knew that wasn't gonna do nothing, Okay, So I had to make it. I had to make a pack, not really a pack.
Speaker 2: It was just a promise to the high power that if I take these years, I ain't really gonna be setting little dope. Well I'm not gonna be setting a little dope. It took me a minute to get my like like completely stopped, probably a year. You know how, niggas still be trying to be in the street. You know what I'm saying. I'm not supposed to have my hand touching it and doing all that. You and you're not a street dealer. You're not. You can't ask me for some weed and I received money for it. I'm gonna feel so bad. I can't. I can't hand for hand through no drug transactional like that ship. I'm gonna feel horrible, you know what I'm saying. So it's like I leave that alone to become this, I guess this comedian or whatever. This is what it's working. I know I'm gonna get somebody of it, but I don't really know. I'm really trying to be a music star. So I'm gonna just make a know the ride and the drop an album and then.
Speaker 1: So the goal was music.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm like, I'm gonna get something, get signed. That's what I thought, like. I did it the second month I started. The first month, I was like, ooh, ship, I dropped a the second month and nobody was messing with No, they listened to it, but they ain't get signed. That's why I was nice. Year. Maybe I do need what is this? I don't know what it is yet. I don't know what this is. You know, I gotta wake up and really don't want to do this shit and record videos and my handhard and I want to make some money. I can't sell no dough.
Speaker 1: But when do you see your first check after you do the switch over?
Speaker 2: No, I ain't make no money like two and a half year later. That what I'm trying to tell people. You got to stay down for the come up.
Speaker 1: So you stayed down for two and a half years and no dope dealing. So you're really so is this when you're really struggling, you're eating these beef around me.
Speaker 2: No, I'm not. I'm not struggling. I know how to hustle. That's the thing though I wasn't just I wasn't selling weedemailing cocaine. It was just like a r the vine was it was a it was a thing. It was a little thing on vine where you could do ads for a company or something, make a couple of dollar. Then Instagram you do a couple shout outs. Then I started being able to get booked in clubs to do appearances, so you kind of make a couple of thousand with the club appearance. So it's like, all right, I probably made three four thousand a month, three thousand that month, but it like I ain't got to say an no dout.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course you feel me.
Speaker 2: I can use this in order to do this, but I don't know how hard to go at this, and I don't even know what this is. I'm just using it right now to do enough to get by. And then once other things started coming about, like all right, you gotta learn how to do stand up.
Speaker 1: That's what it's gonna be my next coming and all.
Speaker 2: That, and it was like I needed to perfect marketing myself on Instagram for me to keep going to the next level. So now I knew I'm like, okay, I'm getting booked for appearances. This is twenty fourteen and fifteen, and it's like, all right, but I gotta be a comedian. I gotta learn this. So I didn't go get no money for a whole year, just so I can be able to understand what being a comedian was. The fourteen I started doing comedy twenty fourteen, I ain't start booking shows for real to like twenty sixteen.
Speaker 1: Wow, So for two years you're basically just studying comedy.
Speaker 2: I'm working, I'm learning.
Speaker 1: You're learning. So are you going out every night? You're just watching old school videos.
Speaker 2: Now I'm watching videos and watching other the legends and going to already open up, pop up, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: The opening I'm doing all oh every week? And how was your first time going up?
Speaker 2: My first time going up? It was a music show. They just look at me. But you got to break the ice though, So that's the thing. I broke the ice and now able to call myself a comedian because I hadn't done what comedians do. Grab the mice and try to tell Joe's from the people that you don't know right then and there. But it's like, all right, where do I go for mine, Do I continue or it's a journey. It's a journey. I remember the day I started to where I am now, Like even with the confidence and being able to go on stage with the confidence was saying I am a performer. But I remember the stages of me not understanding, like this job picked me because God wanted me to do this, and this was way quicker than any like when you do your college. Steve harbystite that he said, when you do your calling, you feel me, God bless you, abundant it you feel me like. That's why I said it was it was nothing but good came out of this.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Nothing When I sold dope it was bad. It was not I'm gonna say bad. It was just stressful. It was stressful.
Speaker 1: You don't feel like your life right now can be stressful. We consider stressful.
Speaker 2: No, it's not that. It's just that's why I got my hustle from. That's why you realize people that's complacent, they don't have the energy to hustle. You gotta have a certain energy to be a hustler, that undeniable determination of going to get it by any means. It could be a sense of stress if you're not strong enough to understand, like I gotta do this in order to get to the next day. Like it was a day and I ain't feel like it's inting dope. But it was like my phone ringing, I gotta get up, go down here whatever, I gotta go to the stove, got this, gotta go here. He's your cow on sleeping here. I'm hungry in here. I won't to sit down. As soon as I sit down, my phone getting wrong again. Got it? But you want some money, so.
Speaker 1: You're doing You're doing your comedy. So before this comedy, it was very clear though that this is the path you are agreed with God to take. Okay, so you're doing your comedy two years, still struggling. When's your first real big break? By the way, you're still cooking? No I have.
Speaker 2: I had let it be.
Speaker 1: I thought it was hot dog souper and.
Speaker 2: I let it come down. But didn't need a little water.
Speaker 1: And when you cook at home right.
Speaker 2: Like this, when I cook, no I have. Yeah, I can't cook. Once I did this, I feel like I ain't learned nothing. Now what you got in, I ain't did nothing. You gotta gotta meet it in, can't put it all in that once. Just who are you?
Speaker 1: I'm just I'm trying to I'm like watching. Let me tell you something. When I was coming to Atlanta, all I could think was, I can't wait to see d C cook something you could ask Ryan, you can ask anybody behind the scenes. I was like, I just want to see.
Speaker 2: D C cook with I ain't understand.
Speaker 1: No, you do all the sound face. This is a very special experience right there. That's what.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're gonna make a tape even in the mind.
Speaker 1: So my question was, Okay, you're you made it. You made it through your two years. What's your next big break because you had a lot.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm still working on it technically. The next year, in twenty fifteen, I get booked for Wild I'm Out, And then that was the the beginning of the industry break. I had the social media break with Vine and Instagram. But then now it's like the industry break.
Speaker 1: It was like, now, did Nick reach out to you or did you audition?
Speaker 2: I was. I was on the management team at the time called Archive Nation. We had young Thug and he name with Hudson and you know what I'm saying that it was a great management team at the time, and they had e mail Hudson and he had an audition, and just so happened that they knew that I was around and was around with the same team, and it was like, yeah, you know what I'm saying, we got walk up audition too. So I ended up going to do the audition and Nick was there and he was like, yeah, I know you know what I'm saying. Let me see something. Did Ship? He was like, all right, we'll do this. Did Ship? It was like cool, I ain't hit nothing from it hit him back, you know, I ain't think I made it, but it was just the experience that I was proud of. Like, damn, I just front cannon. You know what I'm saying, This ship drawn shouting, you know. And a couple of days later then I know you had he got he had got flown out to go start working and then they called like two days later. We're like we're on DC too.
Speaker 1: Ah, what was where were you at when you got the call?
Speaker 2: I was at the management office, and you know, it had no settled in but it was just like, you know, I got their hunger. I got their hunger, you know from the streets that you know, you always want an opportunity, and when you when you get the opportunity, like, man, for sure, I'm just show out, you know what I'm saying, Like I don't get fun for the show out. Whatever I got due, I'm gonna show out. I'm gonna give you my all. You know what I'm saying. Ain't learning at the same time, But I know it's a reason why you're there. So you got to know why you there. You feel me, That's why I'm getting with people don't want to be great, you know what I'm saying, Like it's a certain energy that you got to put out there to be Like, man, I want to do this ship to last for a long time, you know what I'm saying. And I ain't doing this ship because I know I'm deserving. Man, ain't none of this ship belonged to me or deserving. You don't deserve none of this shit. You look around, the blessing not only on you anyway, God blessing everybody that's around you. You had the only want that work, you know what I'm saying. So it's like you got to take your opportunity and go crazy with it, you know what I'm saying, Because you know what you would.
Speaker 1: Just remember, Yeah, I did, Like Nigga, this is different.
Speaker 2: Like you're literally living the new stages of your life. But I'm not not used to it because I was gonna be in entertainment because I come from theater and I was gonna do music and act. It's it's just the difference of the renaissance. Now, no, you're not doing music first. No you're not gonna act. Just yeah, you're gonna be a comedian.
Speaker 1: So you're saying, like the order was, it was just switch switched.
Speaker 2: It was switched, and it was a new and it was a new job description. You know what I'm saying. I was funny. You were probably figured it out in a movie or so. But I wasn't gonna be no stand up comedian. You see what I'm saying. I probably would have played a funny role in a movie. Well you were like, well you funny, but I wouldn't have been.
Speaker 1: Well, I'll tell you this. I admired that I did not know that part of your story. But I admire the fact that you did the work to do the stand up comedian because you were like, hey, I gotta do what I gotta do. Yeah, but that's usually you meet comics and like someone in my group said I was funny, and you know, I just.
Speaker 2: I knew I was fun I got Claire clown in twelfth grade at the same time while I'm sitting to do so. It ain't a was always was a player, client in a renaissance man in my school. It's just the way my life turned back. I'm just you know, it is what it is and what your environment.
Speaker 1: What are your parents saying the whole time while all this is going on.
Speaker 2: I mean, my mama put it in god hand.
Speaker 1: You keep referencing God like was God.
Speaker 2: In my household? Yeah? Yeah, really, my dad was a past.
Speaker 1: You know you're cooking for both of us.
Speaker 2: You don't eat beef.
Speaker 1: You gotta just give me.
Speaker 2: Act like I'm giving it. Yes, all right, gotta get her her death. I can't even be around it, but I'm gonna do it for the show.
Speaker 1: Hey, I gotta you know what, I'll take one for tea.
Speaker 2: That's my baby, all right.
Speaker 1: I want to eat. I want to eat your cooking.
Speaker 2: I ain't gonna get too much. Don't you eat that ship?
Speaker 1: You act like I'm gonna like have I Okay, let's see all you had was the beef flavor and a beef he don't. Oh, let's try this cheers cheers there, Okay, you could eat I didn't eat off the fork DC. You can eat it. Okay.
Speaker 2: Ready, a little about you. I pray for my food.
Speaker 1: You're gonna pray it out loud. You can pray for mine.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, I don't know how you relationship.
Speaker 1: No man, pray for mine.
Speaker 2: I prayed for food. But if you want to be with me, no.
Speaker 1: Man, I had pray. Pray.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying. Pray Okay, thank you having to following for this beautiful meal. We praided this food grant. That's the nutrition that we needed. Jesus name, we pray, that's your name. Me pray man, Amen man the least I don't know.
Speaker 1: About your Yeah, these noodles are betterally overcooked. And you know what I'm saying. You could literally not shoot. You have no teas in your mouth and melt in your mouth.
Speaker 2: Let me show you what we do, not in your hands. But it ain't south enough what you do. Ladies, you're packing another one. That's for the rich folks in the hood. They can waste noodles, so you you cooked one and throw the old one in the trail? Why because you needed the sauce?
Speaker 1: You need more more seasoning, sound like that's what you need. First of all? Didn't you say your mom used a lot of salt and all that? Is this a generational this?
Speaker 2: Ain't that?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 4: Thanks?
Speaker 1: Thanks for looking for mine?
Speaker 3: Mm hm.
Speaker 1: So you've been at this for over what ten years?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Senior year? And you said, what be a blessing? Take it with you? That mean delicious?
Speaker 1: When was the last time you ate this? Eat this all the time?
Speaker 4: Years?
Speaker 1: You have a private chef.
Speaker 2: Now. I used to eat this with hot chocolate, hot chocolate. I don't know. Don't ask me why hot chocolate. I just felt business like when I was drinking the hot chocolate. It would be in the mother tu side. Get through it like, I don't know.
Speaker 1: You don't drink coffee.
Speaker 2: No, I don't drink coffee. I ain't with that coffee ship.
Speaker 1: I love hot chocolate. Actually, yeah, in La, when we shoot, I shoot, I usually drink. You who's on set? Afrigat?
Speaker 2: I don't know why I show your age?
Speaker 1: It's all right, I'm still young.
Speaker 2: You are.
Speaker 1: All right? Man?
Speaker 2: Again? No, I don't even know what that thing you said yahoo?
Speaker 1: First of all, I used to call it yahoo, but my team corrected me a hundred times, like calling use.
Speaker 2: The US is the chocolate chocolate milk over them all? Yeah?
Speaker 1: You know what else? Did you know that they have the strawberry flavor? A lot of people don't know that you.
Speaker 2: Was one of them. You was one of them in school getting strawberry milk.
Speaker 1: You know, I just found out about it, like years ago.
Speaker 2: Anybody who grabbed the strawberry milk in school, you are aggravating.
Speaker 1: First of all, I always grabbed the chocolate, but I just discovered. Yeah, and now that I am not broke anymore, not that it makes a difference. I'm nest quick all day. Now, that's quick is way better than you.
Speaker 2: Who?
Speaker 1: Did you know? You who's having no dry for real? I think so? Actually I'm lying. I told someone that that was on my show, and then they drank it, and then I read later on the back kids said like drive that why you got to do your own You almost see pork and beets. I had to look thank god. Okay, so you've been doing at this for a while, so you get through the wilding out auditions. What's your next play? And wait when you do your first season? Are you making bread bread? Or are you just happy that you made it to making money? Yeah?
Speaker 2: What are you making money? Earl and by a struggles? Yeah, that's why everybody don't make it in this in this industry, it's a struggle for a wrong dad, that was your generational thing that you're talking about. Yeah, it's a struggle. No, man, you know what I'm saying. No, I didn't make no money. I ain't made no money to later on in the industry. When you say making money like you're able to pay you know who you need to pay in?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Are you able to like self maintaining no side hustles? Yeah, no, after walling out or a little after after welling out.
Speaker 2: You know, if the Corp's gonna be your new hustle, you gotta know how to perfect your new hustle.
Speaker 4: Nice.
Speaker 1: So there was something you mentioned earlier about like cleaning up your Instagram to help market yourself better. What did you mean by that?
Speaker 2: Show the world what you want to want to know people? A lot of people expecting people to know who you are. Nobody know who you are or get.
Speaker 1: Be fun people yeah, nobody cares.
Speaker 2: After Nobody cares who you are in the industry, might gives a fuck about what you do.
Speaker 1: Nobody care what you mean.
Speaker 2: Man, I don't care all that walking in. You know who I am? What am I giving a fuck? Don't scan nobody unless you scare somebody. But you're the only motherfucker doing that. And you and you really too high? You expensive. They can't wait to pay a motherfucker cheap price. It's like selling dope. You walking in this motherfucker talking about you, the nigga with all the dope and this how high you is, and they like, but guess what, it's nigga's buying a step down bullshit. So you can get your ands up out of here because I can make a proferencying this step down shit.
Speaker 1: Yep, yep, I'm okay.
Speaker 2: So that's why me selling dope gave me a business mind.
Speaker 1: That was my h.
Speaker 2: What do you call that, alley hoop beginner's class until actually going to school for business. Because even when you look at all like all the north Old's and all that, I look at all that shit, they were great business man.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: Your heart, your heart gotta be intact.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you what is one of the most painful lessons you learned in being in the industry?
Speaker 2: Thus far painful lesson all less shit get to me. Uh, you ain't got no friends, nobody cares who you are and what you do.
Speaker 1: That's what you learned in the industry. But now I come to eighty five South, shoutouts to everything you guys have felt here and there's so much love in this environment. It's absolutely beautiful, especially coming from La because La we don't First of all, there's no hospitality like what I've experienced here at eighty five. Is that why you built this? I would say this domain over here because you wanted a safe haven. Because this doesn't feel like industry over here. It feels like love and family.
Speaker 2: It's very structured, but it's you know when when when when God aligned you up with people, that's you know, God fearing and really have a vision and trust people. You know, you can really build anything. And I think the infrastructure on building something or how it's to be done, we really don't have no guide for it. You know a lot of people think that, oh you know, Jake three three real fabricateing shit, Like even you say how long does it take for you to make money? Tell you a long time to make some money and depending on what you think is money.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was gonna be Also another question was like, what did at least when you get that first check from being broke, you were like, yo, there was had to have been that moment of like, yeah, I just.
Speaker 2: Knew what I was risking to get this money that I ain't risking no more.
Speaker 1: What do you mean are you comparing it to the drug?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm just saying risking period. It was like, ooh I got four thousand and I didn't have to risk my life for it. You feel that's more motivation.
Speaker 1: It was like I feel like that pre that your life before is where you kind of hold that bar of everything.
Speaker 3: Is it?
Speaker 2: Yes, that's that's how I that's my analogy for it all. It's like, oh, this is the cocaine, this is the weed, this is the plug, Oh, this is publicskbar, this is you know what I'm saying, like everything has a you know, an analogy for it because I know how serious it was, like, don't put your name on bad dope. You want to have an easy sit Okay, you know what to do? Have a heart seal. Okay, you know when it's slow. Okay, you know when it's feed up.
Speaker 1: Okay, but that's your measuring tool.
Speaker 2: That's my measuring tool and the business.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but then you have this other measuring tool when it comes to God and spiritually.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you can always have a great heart and great character so you won't become wicked in the world. Because but I'm also thankful that I'm not in the streets because I'd have been a very not likable person. Okay, you know what I'm saying, Like y'all know me, And then it's crazy because like even when in high school, you see me, I'm winning class, clown and all that. But it's like my friends know me for that. My peers may have seen me in there. You know, you know me for that. But if I don't know, you ain't speaking. I ain't really you know, I ain't really. I'm not really a friendly person, you know, I'm not like he hare No, no, no, I'm not just attracting energy that I don't know. I don't really don't want to be involved. I really don't want to have a conversation.
Speaker 1: Well, I appreciate you taking the time to do this show.
Speaker 2: No, definitely, I appreciate you. Man, you've seen this great meal. You know what I'm saying. I made a mess your shit so clean over there?
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank god I didn't take the bite of the beef. Do you want my little beef piece? I'm already even know what you stay loving that season?
Speaker 2: That's right now?
Speaker 1: During the pandemic, yeah, ain't nobody to go to work? How you how did you get by? You had the money from Wall God, I ain't had no damn money during the pandemic. I ain't had no money. That was a couple of years ago. So what happened? What do you mean you didn't have any money during it?
Speaker 2: I ain't no money. Now you know what you got by? You know you know how to live. We know how to live by. It means you know what I'm saying, I know what I need. I know how much to eat.
Speaker 1: Did you build this infrastructure during the pandemic or was it in process prior to this?
Speaker 2: Right here is a collective of people created. We did it to be in this way like everybody.
Speaker 1: Else do where are you doing this during the pandemic or prior to the pandemic?
Speaker 2: What you just said twenty four.
Speaker 1: You're looking to Ryan for the answer. Ryan, what's the answer?
Speaker 2: No, mm hmmm, probably like towards the end, man like one, because the pandemic was a long time. The people depending on how long your pandemic was my pandemic. I ain't had no pandemic.
Speaker 1: Well, I guess in Atlanta, apparently you guys were only shut down for three weeks. Up here, we were shut down for eight months, eight months. How was LA shut down?
Speaker 2: I mean, you're talking about nightlife, you're talking about See I'm a business man.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying during the day, LA was okay, No, eight months we shut.
Speaker 2: Down in Atlanta before we even went back to work again. I remember the day we was at work and they told us the whole type they sending people home like we're in a rental and sold that twenty thousands teeth seat said while not they sent it twenty thousand people home because they just did a mandate. Told him for hey, man, y'all get up out of here. No coming like literally like it was a world shut down. They saying no, no gathering over five hundred people. If you got anything, man, that shit is man your ass. Damn nobody committal failing the crime, like we're having a world crisis. Shit, that ship down. It's twenty thousand people in Baltimore coming to the show and them folks being turned around because we just did the show and watched the DC the day before. Fifteen times. I remember that like it was yesterday. We all sitting down there in the arena, like, what the fuck is going on? This shit got to be fake? That shit was real eight months.
Speaker 1: That shit eight months. So now you are DC, DC the most popping every you see the Mosquito fly, Yeah, DC, the Mosquito fly. And uh where what do you have ironed out for your future?
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, I just want to be an executive man, you know what I'm saying, Like looking at the people like, uh, you know, like Mario Van People's what's what's it called? Will be at the Knicks games man, Spike Lee, you know what I'm saying, Like, you want to just be mobiles in the culture for helping others. You know, I think a lot of people like put me on, and you're like, bro, first of all, you ask somebody to put you somewhere where you don't even know where you want to go? All right, and he's using his face card, his pool. And when you're doing it as a team, you have to win as a team. When one person fucks up, it's you fuck your recruiter. That why people don't even know how business it's worked. Like it's a business. That's why I would I love being I want to go to school for bedding. Like I just I'm just so in trigue, like this is a business. We build this shit from ground up. I love it from dirt, from clay, and then look, you know what I'm saying. So it's like every time I come in here, I'm like, bro, we can do anything. We put out fucking mine too.
Speaker 1: It's just, you know, was this building just a lot?
Speaker 2: It was nothing. It was a building, but it wasn't this infrastructure. When in it, it was like it was open every wall, every car.
Speaker 1: I mean, you guys went into the back. I love the bathroom, painted floors.
Speaker 2: I was like, rying, freaking ass anything you're going to the didn't heard to get the about their bathroom, man, But it was.
Speaker 1: Like the touch of the detail around here is pretty impressive.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know everybody had that little detail you know around won't do the bathroom. So we gave it to him.
Speaker 1: I am a little confused. How you guys have a dish washing head that has never been used, but you know it's safe to see.
Speaker 2: Man, get the round here. I think we got washing at the house. You don't want to ever wash your clues, no dishwashers to take it. I don't think a lot of people use the dish wash.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you.
Speaker 2: In the last three days, it's like you're walking in the dish's dirty.
Speaker 1: Let me just tell you something right now. Okay, yes, dude, it works. It's not like back in the day when they didn't work. Plus they have like these special pods that like make it all spot more.
Speaker 2: Where I come from, you had a dish washing it didn't work. It may have cut on yeah, yeah, if you couldn't a bit on hicc on the water leak.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you something. My breaks is immediate emergency like dirty, especially when nails.
Speaker 2: Like you know, I think you want to sit it in and prints play.
Speaker 1: I do it like rents and like you know, make sure the food's off and all that, you know, if there's anything.
Speaker 2: I think that's what my mama forgot when we got our dish washer. She forgot the rich the food. Yeah, and then you're supposed to she put it in there. It's soap still dried, soup is beginning.
Speaker 1: No, you're not supposed to do that. That's how they break too. Yeah, and you want to know another secret? That so random kind of some of the beech thing is, uh, a lot of people don't know how to load a dishwasher correctly.
Speaker 5: I was just going to say that, like you go, yeah, go on YouTube and learn how to load. It's behind the dishwasher up. Now you got to take the rank out like.
Speaker 1: A lot of people don't know how to load a dishwasher. And I learned that if you load it correctly, it also helps clean the dishes properly.
Speaker 2: Well, they need to teach you that too YouTube.
Speaker 1: I learned it on YouTube.
Speaker 2: The access of the internet is crazy.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 1: You was looking up fights and I was looking up how.
Speaker 2: Do you understand? World Star was man, That's all I looked up was battle Wrap and I didn't care to look up nothing else.
Speaker 1: The world start to help you at any point in your career, because there was worlds still helpful.
Speaker 2: Now they got a huge platform the world.
Speaker 1: I'm saying it helps you personally in your career.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but anytime you put some ship on the World Stop, that was our first exposure to this. Sh that's what you want. Don't you get put on World Star. But if you make World Star, that's some good ship. But if you got put on World Star unintentional, it well that bad. I mean the world senior ad get beat.
Speaker 1: Up in your whole career. What would you say is your biggest highlight?
Speaker 2: My biggest highlight? Mm hmmm mm hmm. I just say, uh, I'm like, oh, you know what I mean? Uh, you know, just realizing that this what I'm supposed to be doing. You know what I'm saying. I think that's the biggest highlight of it all. Like confidently knowing that God got my back. You know what I'm saying, You got my friends back. You know what I'm saying. You're gonna always go through stuff, but as long as you just stay righteous in your spirit, don't break. You know, we here human, bro, you know what I'm saying. That's why I'm glad I do comedy and I stay out the way. You know what I'm saying. I'm a human. I'm a real human, and a lot of stuff that agitate me. People don't know that they agitates me because I'm doing God's work. You know what I'm saying. I can't react off impost. I think a lot of people act off impost and if I was an impulse person, and if I was to react off impost impulsively, probably won't like me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you have to choose between being an executive and talent, would you give up being talent to be executive? I'm not saying that, I'm not negating one or the other, but I'm saying if you had to choose between the two.
Speaker 2: No, it's just hard because I am the talent. But in order for you to take control of your business, you have to become an executive. You know, and I think a lot of talent just focus on being talent and thinking talent as all. I just told you, don't abot to give a fuck about you. That's the executive.
Speaker 1: That's the executive.
Speaker 2: You thank you that five. Let me tell you who you ain't. Let me tell you the people that have done it before you. You gotta be a historian of your culture of whatever you're doing. You want to be great. You think you're great, or you think you're doing a good enough job. Like that's that's how I trained myself and coach myself like mentally in my head, like to continue it could to be great. If it's nine to five, I want to come in this bitch from eight to eight to seven.
Speaker 1: I like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm gonna still get sleep. But you only be better for yourself the hours that you're not supposed to be. So when you overwork, you know what I'm saying. You like to overwork. I like to say, majority of my life I was overqualified. That's why I didn't get picked. And then you know, they try to make seem like you the problem. It's like, no, you're a threat.
Speaker 1: I like that. I like that. So where can everyone keep up with you?
Speaker 2: Hey? Man, follow your boy DC, Young Fizzle everywhere. You take what I'm saying, Uh, you know what I mean. Just you know, eighty five Sourds were going crazy, man, you know on the tour going crazy, celebrity squares going crazy. I just produced the movie that's dropping March first in theaters with Mario Van Peoples, called Outlaw Posse. So make sure y'all go check that out. So that's the executive bag that I'm trying to tap into to be able to walk around, you know, in the industry, to be like, you know, I'm a producer, not only as a producer on just streaming, No, we produced theatrical. And shout out to Mario van Peoples for allowing me to have that experience, because that's a that's one of those ones that don't come by often, you know, and that's a sign to say, not only was I actor, I also had I also had input on this movie and how it's supposed to be perceived and and it's a great movie. If you're like Western's go see it. Maybe you don't steal go see the ship because the ship off the chat.
Speaker 1: See it support. Thank you again, Yeah, thank you, ble