Speaker 1: Hey, guys, welcome to another episode of Eating While Broke. I'm your host Kolee Waitt, and today we have very special guest actor, writer, producer Miguel Nunez is in the building. Yeah, and I'm not broke and he ain't broke. It was It was.
Speaker 2: Funny because you were like, wait, what we go to what broke?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're gonna take you back.
Speaker 2: You gotta write, Miguel.
Speaker 1: It's awkward always pitching someone on taking on the show because They're like, what are you trying to say, And I'm like, no, no, no, no, no, trying to take you back to when you were broke.
Speaker 2: I actually got that soon as I said Eating While Broke, I immediately thought it was an interview about when you were.
Speaker 1: When you were when you were struggling. Yeah, I want to know your rise to success story, all starting with this original dish. And by the way, you let me know what you're gonna have me eating today.
Speaker 2: Well, you gotta remember when I first came here, I lived in the streets.
Speaker 1: When you lived in the streets.
Speaker 2: I lived in the streets. I was homeless because I ran away from home, bought a bus ticket, I ran away to California. I didn't care. I didn't know. All I knew is I was going to be a movie star. That's all I ever said. So soon as I graduated July July August, what is it? June July, August, September, October, three months later, I mean three Belogney sandwiches and got on a bus and came to California And no no money, no relatives, no nothing, from where North Carolina.
Speaker 1: From North Carolina.
Speaker 2: And because I had been telling everybody since I was a kid, I'm gonna be a movie start, I'm gonna go round away to Hollywood as soon as I graduated, running away to Hollywood. I said it from the first grade through the twelfth and I did it.
Speaker 1: When you say, you read away, So does that mean your parents were all the way in on this journey?
Speaker 2: No, I was. I ran away. When you run away, you don't.
Speaker 1: Usually you know, you don't include them men on that.
Speaker 2: No, you leave if you let them know. But I know I wrote a note. I literally wrote a note. Wait till everybody left the house, rolle a note, got on the bus. I looked like I was ten. I was forty eleven and weighed seventy five pounds when I graduated.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, probably say, dang, you grew after high school. Yeah, that's what happened to my little My older brother, he was like really small and then right when he hit college, he like grew.
Speaker 2: You know why black people are taller? Why because their negroes.
Speaker 1: Ohious, So you get on the bus with these baloney sandwiches, but today, what are you gonna have it?
Speaker 2: Oh So anyway, so once I got here and I started to coming up and one of the things that I men didn't have a lot of money for food because I didn't really eat a lot so and I was just always got my go to and that is can you hear me? Junk show? And I'm sorry, and this is a good plug. So y'all can send me some spam spam spam, egg and cheese. And I would eat that every So I would eat it for breakfast, and I would eat it for dinner and lunch every single day because I had a whole thing. So I could eat that that that'd be breakfast, and that'd be lunch, and that'd be dinner. But you gotta kind of fix it up. Now, can't just eat spam because spam is a little too salty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've had this on the show before and I try to slither of it once, like just straight out the cant and it was extremely salty.
Speaker 2: It's very salty. But that's why if I put my egg in the cheese, that's gonna you know, kind of dilute the salt because you I don't have to put any salt in the eggs because that helps with the eggs. So it takes a little bit. And then you put that miracle whip on our mayonnaise. You put that miracle whip on him.
Speaker 1: I love how you were very like, don't forget the miracle whip.
Speaker 2: Nope, you can't forget the miracle. I wouldn't. I don't think if I made a sandwich, so funny because that's the commercial to have. If I made a sandwich and I ran to get the America whip after it was already and there wasn't any, I probably wouldn't eat the sandwich.
Speaker 1: Really. Wow, Okay, that's how important it is.
Speaker 2: That's how important it is.
Speaker 1: All right, So while you start cooking, so you have the just so all our listeners know we have the spam, the bread, the egg, the cheese, and the miracle with this meal is less than a couple of bucks, right, you know exactly?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you won't know. For bread and and and and and and the cannon spam could last you two days, that's crazy. And and a carton of eggs. I'm straight for the week. Cut some slash, cut two pieces real thin, but then cook an.
Speaker 1: Egg two But you started eating this when you started booking gigs or oh no, it's a rotation between blowney sandwiches and.
Speaker 2: No, no, no no. I ate that when I was coming out, you know, because that was that could last the longest. And you go the furthest and and and like I said, I still eat today.
Speaker 1: I probably still will eat it today.
Speaker 2: I got probably five cans right now. I have never been without spam. What absolutely all right?
Speaker 1: You know Hawaii Sam Eggs sandwich maker, I've ever tried.
Speaker 2: Okay, you gotta be a spam lover. You're ever been to Hawaii? No, Hawaii. It's the number one met in Hawaii. It's the number one spam Burger's spam, egg and cheese breakfast in McDonald's line around the corner. It's the number one selling breakfast in every single fast food has it only only Hawaii. They have spam burgers, spam breakfast, uh, spam burritos, everything, and that's all they eat because.
Speaker 1: You probably love it there, you're like, I did, hello, And.
Speaker 2: That's because of you know, the world with the war. When they were having a tournament camps, that's what they gave them. They dropped spam in them, so it became like a staple.
Speaker 1: It's funny. I was talking to my girlfriend yesterday and sometimes when we'll go out to eat, they'll order bone marrow and I look at her and I'm like, yo, I can't believe people are paying for bone marrow. Like when I was a kid, my mom would like force us to eat it, and that was like something you ate and you're broke, not when you're wait.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, And now it's like really expensive.
Speaker 1: Yeah. My girlfriend was like, and when we order marrow, don't say nothing at the table. I'm like, I'm sorry. It just baffles me that you guys are literally eating it like it's.
Speaker 2: Wait, okay. So I've never had what this bone marrow tastes. It is.
Speaker 1: It is basically like fat grease in the bone. I don't know. Maybe it has a little bit of taste to it. I'm Jamaica. You have yeah, my mom, you know that in Jamaica that's like the best part of the meal. But growing up, it was.
Speaker 2: Like, wait, what does it taste like? It's for the viewers, like soap.
Speaker 1: Looks like the meat juices, I guess like the meat it tastes.
Speaker 2: It's like if you cook something and then it has some like leftover stuff and you break the things, it tastes horrible. Let me tell you what about chits.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't have you ever had chien?
Speaker 1: I feel like I have.
Speaker 2: But you know, that's like the grossest thing you can eat.
Speaker 1: Really, it is really I don't know, because I as a Jamaican, I eat tripe. You don't tripe, how stomach.
Speaker 2: I think that's what that's not.
Speaker 1: You know, if you have cow silming, okay, it'll be really chewy. It'll be the chewiest mi or that's how that's chilling.
Speaker 2: Chiling is the part what the go through. That's why the whole house stink.
Speaker 1: Oh no, yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: But and I hated Chitling's and because the whole house stink because you know, it's got this stuff in And but then I went to a family reunion in North Carolina because I was raised in North Carolina. The mom she I was born in New York. My mother was the writer of it. It's a Man's World, James Brown's biggest hit. And I was born in New York.
Speaker 1: Did you guys grew up with a lot of money? Because she wrote that she did.
Speaker 2: We didn't. She did, but we didn't. That's a whole another story. No, none of that. It's a whole freaking other story. She gave us to our grandmother when we were three so she can go back to New York and whatever. And but she gave us to our grandma. So I at three, I went to North Carolina. I was raised on a farm. Okay, so I forgot where we were going with that.
Speaker 1: But yeah, oh you got a good story. Will start cooking for me please.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna tell you some spam. I don't tell the people how to do it, but you gotta bust it out.
Speaker 1: You gotta bust it out now.
Speaker 2: Wait, you gotta turn it on. How the hell? I don't know how to do all that.
Speaker 1: You don't cook at home?
Speaker 2: Now? Yeah, but I got the old fire ones the gas.
Speaker 1: Look, I love when people do this, just for the record, so everybody knows we have fake insurance at our studio. Did you really just put your hand on it on the red I just.
Speaker 2: Want to make sure it's working.
Speaker 1: I don't know what anybody would turn a stove on and put their hand directly on it, but we do not have insurance here. So if anything were to happen. Oh, that's how you get it out, Okay. I was wondering that the whole time. So you just put some air in the bottles and it comes right out ktch.
Speaker 2: It hat okay, and then you gotta slice it. Now, it's not good when you make it really really fat.
Speaker 1: Actually, the smell of it. You used to this, but.
Speaker 2: You don't like this, man, smell like old socks. You can eat some.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna eat. You have to cook for both of us, oh, for two people today.
Speaker 2: Hey, you're the woman you're supposed to be cooking.
Speaker 1: I can tell you how, nah man, on this show, I get to see y'all cook for me. Okay, that's good enough, all right? And then okay, so we got the thin slices. So take me back to what was going on exactly in the moment that you were eating this spam sandwich. Is at the earliest, since you still like them.
Speaker 2: Oh, at the earliest, like when I was coming.
Speaker 1: Let's say, let's just say, well, yeah, yeah, let's go back, because I feel like your mom situation sounds a little interesting.
Speaker 2: To Okay, let's go back. Do you want to talk about.
Speaker 1: Let's start with your mom. Okay, because it's it's kind of interesting, it is, Okay, Let me.
Speaker 2: Story my mother, right, My mother was wild. Put to you that way. She was wild, and my mom ran away from home at sixteen.
Speaker 1: Runs in the family O you go.
Speaker 2: To New York to become in business because she wanted to be it. And my mother the first TV show, it was the first American bandstand music show, was called Hullabaloo. It was way back when we were little, and they had all these girls up in these little things in the back while the different things. Stevie Smoker, Robinson and all of these people would come on. It was huge. It was bigger American bandstand time. And she was one of the girls that was up in those in those things with the go go boots because she looked long and she looked mixed. She had a long hair, and she was one of those. She was the only black one up in those little go go boots. You can see it actually online. Yeah, and and she was dating my mother. This is done, Scott truth. My mother was a most dropped there gorgeous girl. She was so wild. She ran away from home to go to New York. And she left and she was there all by herself, sixteen, beautiful and just living there by itself. She date Muhammed Ali would pick her up, drop her off. Jackiet Robinson would pick her up later, drop her off. I can't say this other person. Why I can't because I don't just tell it. Well, anyway, I'm not gonna tell you him. But all of my other brother my mom had seven sons each year she was soon they got three, gave him to my mother soon as she got three, gave me back to my mother. Three of my brother's fathers are very super famous musicians. One of them, every time he goes through the airport, they go and they called that other call his name his dad's name. Looks like he spit him out. And then when you go back and look at the show, you see that singer on you see my mom in the background. My brother was born in next year, then the other the famous group, my other brothers, and none of our none of them know, none of them, we none of us know. But but anyway, none of us know what our fathers.
Speaker 1: Are you serious?
Speaker 2: So we were so we were all raised in North Carolina. So that's how. And when my mom would come home, it would be like sug Avy. I swear I thought that movie that somebody had actually someone that actually sold her story because it was like that whole neighborhood James Brown when she was dating James Brown when she wrote the song That's Why. But he actually came to in North Carolina. One, you have no clue this her story?
Speaker 1: Damn that sounds good, all right, continue, So none of you guys, so none of you guys.
Speaker 2: Met your dad's I don't think she knew.
Speaker 1: So was your dad?
Speaker 2: My dad was some Dominican guy she met in New York. And what happened with my dad? My dad? I guess the story was my dad was I bought her or some dress to go out to some party and she was supposed to meet him, and and then he got everything ready and by the time how did I turn this up?
Speaker 1: I think you got it up pretty high.
Speaker 2: Okay, good. So then he goes to her club and he's looking for and looking for her, and he finds on the club with that dress on, sitting in another guy's lap. He started chasing her and he sliced her, sliced her butt. She's completely old, no what. And that's when she took me to North Carolina. I never met him. They don't know who he is, never met him. But my mom said one time she saw when I was on a Little did he know? And when I was first TV show, I was on tour of duty. I was gonna make like making twenty twenty seven thousand, five hundred dollars a week, and I was dying to find him and help him out. And she said she saw him when they and told him, your son want to talk to him. He said, okay, we'll come back. He working tomorrow. When she went back there next day, he had quit because he thought she wanted money. Oh so I never knew my father. Oh wow, I always wanted to know, you know, you see. Yeah, see people their dad didn't want know what it was like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so, but you don't even know his name or anything.
Speaker 2: Miguel Anna I'm a junior.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: He was from Dominican Republic. He was worked at a zipper factory. I got that stuff. But even when I tried to look him up in New York and I looked up Miguel Nunya that set seven hundred and forty two million. And then they said, well, you know, you go to those places where they used to live, they never leave because my mom was in the same place. Yeah, so she took me to where she said it was his mom or his grandmother some house, and they would they were look, they would't open the door. I don't really know. I gave up, but anyway, so that's how we ended up in North Carolina.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you end up being raised by your grandmother. Is your mom at least sending money back to take care of y'all?
Speaker 2: Well she was doing that for Yes, she was sending money to take care of us.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, yes, definitely, you guys still had a good relationship.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, my mom. Uh. First of all, like a player.
Speaker 3: First of all, the the the the m v P of players, absolute play, I give you the sugar, right, Yeah, it was that.
Speaker 2: It really was that. The whole neighborhood would be there, everybody looking down the street.
Speaker 1: We're gonna pull a picture of your mom.
Speaker 2: Okay, there's one online. We heard in her first coat and and uh we call it Betty Jean because we and allowed to call her mother.
Speaker 1: Okay, I heard.
Speaker 2: At least twenty times in my life. Don't ever call me mother. I have never had an ugly style. I like you before in my life? Ugly what child? Like you before? In my life?
Speaker 1: What she would say that life you got? Yeah, you got it?
Speaker 2: But now she lives with me? No way.
Speaker 1: This is a crazy question. I really shouldn't ask it, but I'm curious because because now that I'm older and I meet guys that have like some kind of mommy dynamic that's a little off. Did you have any type of this is terrible?
Speaker 2: But I ain't no terrible And if you're going to start being I'm gonna be.
Speaker 1: Okay, do you have Do you have mommy issues?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 1: In your relationships?
Speaker 2: I think so because when I'm with a girl, I like to be with them. I'm very affectionate. I just do all the things that I didn't get, so I think I do.
Speaker 1: Okay as a woman ever said that to you?
Speaker 2: Though?
Speaker 1: I just, I just, I know it is women love affections. So I'm sure they were like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because my mind. Because here's when my mom come on. She would give us money, and all everybody else would run out of the house and go spend it. Cause back then she would hundred hundred I know that. Back then that's like a thousand. Yeah, except me. I take my mother put in the pocket. I would go in because we couldn't be around there more than two minutes, all right, And and I used to go in everyone do and look, everyone, you want another room? I would go and look and stay there. When she would leave, I would go into her room and I would take her and take her clothes and spread them all home, right them across my pillow because she always wore the most expensive perfume. So they would do all I never left they did. They would all run.
Speaker 1: Were you the baby, middle child?
Speaker 2: Ye, oldest, second oldest?
Speaker 1: Oh wow, I like how you're smashing the breath. Okay, So you you definitely adored your mom?
Speaker 2: Oh well, well, I mean yeah, I adored the thought of her. I adored the thought of her. I didn't really know her.
Speaker 1: What did your grandma say about your mom? Did she talk negative or never.
Speaker 2: Never, she never said anything about her. We never heard anything about her. And then she would come home. I say, in my entire life growing up, I saw her probably and she was home probably twenty times for two or three days. I probably saw her twenty minutes. Wow, that was all we were allowed. And never knew when she left.
Speaker 1: Oh, she didn't even say goodbye.
Speaker 2: We were like, where's the Jeanet boy, get your skinny ice out here? She left two days ago? Never ever?
Speaker 1: Wow, okay, so take me back to uh damn. So was she rich? I'm just curious she was? And okay, And but you you didn't really necessarily see the fruits of that labor. You just saw it when she came.
Speaker 2: The only thing we saw when she came home, when she had about twenty million dollars worth of jury on and and and and gave stacks on hundreds to my grandparents in them and then like my little brother, my brother, and now who's here my other brother, right, Frankie, when they first came home, when she first brought them home, and I wish I had that photo when she first brought them home to leave, when they got three, she had on a Frankie. He was probably three. He had on a little white mink coat original meat, probably about two thousand and three thousand dollars, little mink white boots and a mink white hat. And he had on a black one, oh wow. And she had on a black and white one. And she always came home with She loves to have stacks of money on her that's her favorite thing on the planet.
Speaker 1: Your mom was definitely a player. Okay, okay, she's one hundred player hot lady, Okay, yeah, but.
Speaker 2: She know she was. She's older now, and you know, I'm taking care of her because you know she's a little she's eighty four years old, but she's still like she's sixteen. She wants to go out every.
Speaker 1: Club, no way, really.
Speaker 2: Oh my god. There's no difference than her now and when she was sixteen now.
Speaker 1: So like she'll get up at like nine o'clock and be like, I'm going out.
Speaker 2: And no she can't, but I have a driver take her. Wish it. But if you said, if I say, if like right now, she was like, where y'all go? And we told her where we're going? Why y'all could have told men, she'll jump up and get ready and be ready to go, no matter where you're going, no matter what you're doing, always in the mix.
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay, so I'm gonna skip to the part where you decide to run away.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So, well, before that, you said, from the age of sixties.
Speaker 2: Since I was born, I said I was going to move move to Hollywood.
Speaker 1: Okay, And where do you think that that?
Speaker 2: I don't know because I this is before I even knew my mam was even involved. This is before I'd ever even watched television. It was the first thing I ever said I was going to do it. And to this.
Speaker 1: Day, watch out that that's melting?
Speaker 2: What on that sh shit? You're hilarious, idiot? Oh thank god you're here. And to this day I still say, and I I tell people, I don't know where it came from. Every side way, your mama's doing it. No, But that was before I was saying I wanted to be a movie star. And now that I think about it, that was even before I even knew what a movie star was. I didn't even think I had watched television yet. Wow.
Speaker 1: Okay, So take me back to when you start plotting on running Away, because it was it wasn't.
Speaker 2: Oh, it was just it was never every day. I had already had my job. I was working. I knew what I was gonna do Friday, Da da dah. I was planning the whole thing. And I'd got a job and I got my first check. It was God, that's how I know. And literally I was like out of the clipbl the s guys to shoot. This is enough to get to Hollywood, packed a little suitcase and made me three blown the sandwiches. Which one is this one?
Speaker 1: The one that you're touching another one? Yeah?
Speaker 2: And it down.
Speaker 1: And I literally you be leaving all this stuff on the You're hilarious. How do you cook at home? You put he puts like tissues, uh, spatulas on the stove like everything.
Speaker 2: You're not no, no, but see if it was fire, I wouldn't because I see it. But now this looked like a cabinet.
Speaker 1: Okay, So so you so you run away from home. What's what's the letter in a note saying?
Speaker 2: I said, I said, where's that note? I said, I know somebody had a long time ago. I don't even know they had found it, But I don't know. I should have went home and got it I kept one that I got when I was living at the Union Rescue Mission. When I had been at the Union Rescue Mission for a long time and I finally decided to write home. And I was so excited to get this. You got a letter, And I was like, and I got opened up and all I opened up. All I said was call home food, Call home food. I swear to God. And I found that letter. I got it. That was from aunt, But that was.
Speaker 1: From your aunt. Shout out to the aunt.
Speaker 2: But listen, I just literally thought of at that minute and did it and went home and I went to the bus station. Matter of fact, the last person I saw was him sneaking to school late when I left North Carolina.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know what you were up?
Speaker 2: Nobody did. Nobody did, Okay, nobody did. Okay, what am I gonna do? Okay, girl, you about to get it.
Speaker 1: Don't you have to make four slices of bread?
Speaker 2: Nope, I'm gonna just eat a half a sandwich. You're gonna eat half?
Speaker 1: Okay? Okay?
Speaker 2: Oh I should have made two squad them. Okay.
Speaker 1: So now, oh, you know, at one point, what are you gonna cook? Eggs? I love judging you you're a great storyteller.
Speaker 2: By the way, it's easy when it's coming from here.
Speaker 1: So okay, so you run, so you're you run away below the sandwich.
Speaker 2: I walked down the street walk that and this is I know is God because it's like fifteen people in the house because all my brothers are there, seven brothers plus my five aunts, and so there's never a time where there's nobody in the house.
Speaker 1: So it was my grandmother that raised you. It was your arms, Tair, it.
Speaker 2: Was my grandmother. They had five daughters, so they took us in and they was all of a sudden in the same house. So there was never time there was nobody there. So when I walk home and get home, there's nobody there.
Speaker 1: Oh that's how you know it was God.
Speaker 2: Exactly, you walked in like, oh shoot, I said, I said, I said, I said my mother. I said, I'm running. I'm going to Hollywood and make something of myself. That's exactly what I said. And and I just went down to walked down the train track, and I would look think about all the memories. And I got in the bus and I was hiding because the bus station in the middle of town, and my grandparents have to pass there to come home from work. So I was just in the back holding down. As soon as the bus start taking off, I never once realized the seriousness of what I had, did not even eyeoda I saw geting on that bus and where I am now. There was no doubt in my mind what soever I was gonna be where I'm man. None, none, that's what I saw. I figured. I didn't know what the hell was gonna happen in the middle, but whatever that was, it's gonna work out, because I know that's gonna happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, it's certain.
Speaker 2: Certain, one hundred percent. Now that's the difference between that's what you gotta have. You don't one hundred percent truly absolutely believe in yourself and what you do, you're gonna end up turning back if you nobody could go through what I went through. And I'm gonna share tell you, nobody could go through it. Sleeping behind the bus station, waking up with lice every day and having to get sprayed with poison and and that's the kind of stuff that make people turn around and go back home. Yeah, they can't take it because somebody told them they were cute, somebody told them that they can. They were a good actor, and they didn't really have the desire the desire with somebody else. I used to sit on the porch my uncle, who was a Cadillac dealer. He would come home for family union, and once he had a Cadillact that had hollyo A California license plates, and I was about eleven years old. I sat outside on the street touching it all day long, going, this car is in California. That's where I'm gonna leave. You really left where I knew it. I knew it, and and that's why you got it.
Speaker 1: You can't pinpoint what was the initial trigger or how you found out about it. I found out about what like Hollywood and all that.
Speaker 2: I don't know where it came from my mom, but we had that regular encyclopedia thing and that people have bring and every time I would come home, I would run home and grab a Psyclepe and look up Hollywood and just read everything I could on Hollywood, and I would send letters.
Speaker 1: I love that there's an encyclopedia involved in this story.
Speaker 2: The old one, and that's what I did. And I mean I just knew, I just knew I was I didn't know why I was gonna do it, and I never realized the seriousness of what I'd done until I actually got here, because I ended up. I went to the bus station and I said, can I get a ticket to a thought like this? When I first got here, my nickname was country boy, so I talked this like this A nice my name again, New Years. I from West North Carolina. I want to be a actor. I was gonna get a ticket of Hollywood. He said no, And I thought you had to be an actor to get in Hollywood, which I found out later as I was at the trailway station. Trailway goes downtown, Oh, skid Row, Oh Greyhound, I went to Hollywood. I didn't know that. I just thought you had to be an actor. So he said you can go to Los Angeles, and I said okay. When I got me a ticket and hid in the back and I just got here. I had about twenty eight dollars and two dollars when I land, and I thought I was gonna get here six and main the worst place ever, right across from a bus station. I thought it was going to be the movie Star lights and I was to meet somebody, and that was going to be it. And it wasn't until I got here on the worst possible street. You come, man, skid row. Yeah, and then I look outside. That was the first time I won. I realized seriousness of what I had done.
Speaker 1: You're like, wait a minute, wait a minute, this is the Hollywood I mentioned. So then what was your initial thought? Were you like, oh shit, because you said that's when you realize the gratitude of what you did.
Speaker 2: What I did. What I did was no, no, I did. I tried to sleep in the bus station. He kicked me out, So you can't stay in the bus station. So he me out of the bus station. And then I said I would walk around in the street and walk around in the streets and walk around the street. And I had one of those box raizors that we keeping in a climb. So I had two dollars left. And there was an all night movie theater. That's a place for one dollar.
Speaker 1: Oh smart, oh good.
Speaker 2: So I was go in the movie theater. Yeah right, So I go in the movie. There I'm sitting in my seats and I had to put my feet up like this because.
Speaker 1: There's rats running around and in the movie theater and I'm like this.
Speaker 2: Every five minutes. I wait five and I got my razor right here like this. And this was just God protecting me, giving me a warning early. And I'm sitting in the movie theater and all the way down there's like a few people in there. There's a guy. He could see a head, and every time I wake up, the head was closer, closer, closer. And the last time I walk up some big, nasty, homeless person, when I popped my raisor out like that, he jumped up and ran. That was guy's way of telling me to watch out. So from that point on, I would walk around at night and sleep in the day.
Speaker 1: Oh smart.
Speaker 2: So then one time I was sleeping on a park bench and it was raining and some guy was like, like, I said, I looked like I was ten. He was like, hey, what are you doing out here? And I said I was telling. The guy was like, you know, my name micguil noony other from what six Ford, the Cemetery Street, what's north Clown? I came here to be an actor.
Speaker 1: I love your accent.
Speaker 2: And he was like, oh oh god, he said, while you on the street And I told him I had no way to stay, and he said why don't you go to the mission? I was like, what is that? So he told me out to the Union Rescue Mission. I ain't up moving to the Union Rescue Mission. I lived there for a while, got on welfare, got a job, quit the job, started sneaking in the studios, getting kicked.
Speaker 1: Out, trying to sneaking into acting to the what studios.
Speaker 2: I would tell my friends, I want to go into Universal Studio and I want to take the I want to go to Universe Studio and I want to walk around on the sense and I want to see how it's done and I can learn. They was like, man, they ain't gonna let you do that. I'm like, ain't gonna let me go? Nothing to do with that. So then I went there when Day I said name, my name is mcgil now short Universal. My name is Miguel Noon is from Wistle nor Kline. I just want to walk around. I'm not gonna bother nobody's get your skinny ass out of here. You can't do that. And I'm like, he not gonna let you. You can't. Those things don't compute to me. So I sit around the watch. So next thing I know, I noticed what's going So I said, okay, I get how I'm gonna do this. So I saved my money. I started selling my blood plasma, so so I saved all my money. And then I take the Universal's studio tour.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: And then after a while they said, well, we're gonna get off here. I went, it's okay. I hope they can't see this anyway. He goes, all right, guys, we're gonna go inside this thing here and we're gonna show you how it's a simulation of how we do TV shows. I'm like, no, I want to go to the real thing. So I thought. He said, all right, everybody, come this way, come this way, come this way, Come this way to the Traim's gonna pick us up on the other side. Come this way, come this way. While everybody was coming this way, coming this way, I went that way, that way, that way, and I went around and did exactly what I do everything they said. I couldn't do everything, he said they won't let me do. And then at the end of the day, I came in and got on the last train, and I would go to all those TV shows and movies and sit at the top of the thing. They were doing big movies and just sit there all day and look. And that's how I learned. That's how you never never take no for an answer, never ever.
Speaker 1: I always say, like, especially, never take no from someone that doesn't have the ability to say yes. I like that, yeah, because a lot of people will get rejected. I washed all the dishes around here. Look at this sandwich. It looks legit. You know what, guys, I noticed about when Miguel made his sandwich, which was interesting, is he would let the butter marinate the bread, and he would like soak it in there, so you know the sandwich is gonna taste amazing, just by the way he did the bread. Just by the way he did the bread he smashed with the butter. I'm so confident that. Look, Jared, you want to come in here.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: You need a little like you need to rewrite your story, like as a movie.
Speaker 2: I just.
Speaker 1: You are, Yeah, because it sounds like it would be a bread y'all have no clue. It sounds like an absolutely incredible.
Speaker 2: Movie faith determination, never giving up.
Speaker 1: Yeah you have to isn't an amazing story?
Speaker 2: Cage, are you right? Say? I was gonna say, where's this tea? I love sweet teeth. You love.
Speaker 1: I just got a kettle by the way, do you have one. It's like a kettle that it's like electric thing. You put the water in, it keeps it up all day. So your tea, your hot water.
Speaker 2: Oh that's a guest today.
Speaker 1: You literally have it at my house.
Speaker 2: I wish I hadn't bring gifts for your guests.
Speaker 1: We're gonna this is. This is very budget consciously.
Speaker 2: You got to be professional.
Speaker 1: Okay, So this is about to try the sad Are we going this is? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Tell him about my Jared. Are we going? Okay?
Speaker 1: So he soaked it in the butter. It looks like it's gonna taste good. I love that you smashed. It makes me feel like you are a condoiseur. So we are gonna see if Miguel can make me switch to spam, egg and cheese sandwiches with miracle whip.
Speaker 2: They're still salty.
Speaker 1: It's salty, but it's it's good.
Speaker 2: Thank you. Right.
Speaker 1: I'm surprised though, not to set off track, but you see how you wipe my mouth. You're so very nice. They're minerable. I don't know what the word is, but.
Speaker 2: Because of my aunt's I think and you say. I say that because I think they trained us. I think they trained us because I swear to God that the movie would be it was the real Cinderella. Our aunts were older and they lost a lot of things. When of them lost their room because we all had the same room, we had to take their room. They didn't want to vacations because they had to spend the extra money. And they were and we were. It was literally Cinderella. They and made us do everything. We got beatings because of them. They hated us being there in the beginning. We've changed, but we had to have all bought us, had a night. I had watched dishes every Tuesday, my brother Wednesday.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, I thought you were going to say that they were like extra affectionate with you guys.
Speaker 2: Hell no, I a'm affectionate. I don't think I've seen in my entire life never ever heard, ever heard the way I love you in our house. It wasn't it wasn't that kind of a house.
Speaker 1: But then yet you end up growing up to be extra affectionate.
Speaker 2: I think it's because you miss it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I noticed with my daughter too. I'm like that, I'm like, oh, I love you, I love you.
Speaker 2: Let me, hug you right.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I don't ever want you to feel that feeling.
Speaker 2: I could trun do somebody. She was daddy, I can't believe. I can't believe.
Speaker 1: Okay, So take me back to okay. You you're on the sets, you're learning, and what happens next?
Speaker 2: I made it.
Speaker 1: It don't sound like it was that fast.
Speaker 2: Wait, to be honest with you, I'm lucky because I did.
Speaker 1: I was.
Speaker 2: Still struggling, and I'm on the bus. I see this guy going and I'm like, what are you doing? He said, I'm an actor. I'm going ready to go to this cattle call. I said, my name Migail Nuoniam six forty seventire Street, whist North Carolina. I came here to be an actor. And he was like that. He was telling me what he was going for, and he was like, I said, what is that? He's here? This is a resume. You're gonna have to get one in here. Can I keep you can keep it? You got to get a resume. You got to get pictured dah damn. He get ready to get off again. Sorry, and then he gets off the bus. He goes in the park and I look up that see cameras. So the next stop I get off, I'll go to a Copey place. I'll waite his name out, put my name in over and make another copy and go back. Get in a line.
Speaker 1: That's hilarious.
Speaker 2: I didn't know that. As you're street smart, I didn't know cattle call that you had to. I didn't know what a cattle call. You didn't need any of that, but I didn't.
Speaker 1: Oh, I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, cattle call. What cattle call audition is different. Cattle calls means they just want to face. They don't give a damn who you are. A major movie. They looking for cattle call. They want a new start. So I get in line and I got the lead in it. It was a National Genos restaurant commercial and I took that. He was like I did, and the guy you have an agent. I was like, now, I'm no conjact. He said, how did you get in? I said, hey, that guy right there. And the guy came up. He said, I said he told me about on the bus. He said, what you got it? And I was like that and then he said he said, I'll take him to my agent. So he takes me to his agent and I get there and I say my name again, Newia and six sort Semis Street wasna I come in to be an eight and he was like, hey, okay, okay, I like you. I like you. You know what I'm assigning you. I said, I want to go more of those cattle call things. See me an audition. I said, yeah, you can have this money. I want to be in the movies and the TV.
Speaker 1: You said you can have the what this money?
Speaker 2: It was a commercial. I'm thinking of the movies and TV. I didn't know. He said, no, this is on TV. I didn't know, of course, And he goes.
Speaker 1: Did you tell him you can have the money from it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, if he said, me on more of those things for movies and be on TV, okay, you know. So then he said, ah, it is on TV to so anyway, he said, yeah, I like you. So he signed me up. And then I think the next thirty jobs, I probably got twenty eight of them, thirty eight of them, next forty, I probably got thirty eight of them.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: And then three years later I was on a national on CBS. I hit the show called Tour of Duty on CBS. Wow. And now I work. I just started working.
Speaker 1: That's what I was going to say.
Speaker 2: I never stopped working all throughout the eighties and nineties. I got ninety percent of every job that was.
Speaker 1: Out for acting. So you ended up never having to get a real job again.
Speaker 2: I never had a real job again.
Speaker 1: WHOA wow. You talk about determination, perseverance, absolutely and focus. Do you think a lot of the people that helped you along the way, like the agent wanted to sign you, they saw that like that, like in a censor.
Speaker 2: I think no agents and managers. My first manager was Sheryl Levane. She's who try to stay with front Hell if she really did care, I've never had agent that carried as much as she did. Most agents and managers they won't give a damn.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they just want to check.
Speaker 2: They just want to check now. They like if you if you got that, that it because they know they can get money. But that's the I don't know if they truly believe in you, destiny, they truly know, they don't. They just hoping that you can get as many jobs being that guy right there, as cute as you can till I can get somebody else and replace you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, what happened to your first manager?
Speaker 2: Oh? No, you know just like when you start coming up. First thing you think, and this is to all your young guys out there, you know, I gotta go with the bigger management. I gotta go with the bigger you show you can go and grow and grow. And all the big ones started coming after me and I did. But that's not what you should do.
Speaker 1: And I wish I had none, really, yeah, because I hear that a lot, like, but it's the standard thing.
Speaker 2: Oh, you need to go with them now because you're at a different level. Yeah, and it's like it's been going that way forever. No one ever ever win. Anybody say hold on, stay, No, you shouldn't do it, you should stand it. No one never told that that's that's what you're supposed to do. Yeah, it's a it's a step, it's a level. I was told by everything. It's a level. And then you gotta go with these and then you gotta go see a gotta all of this stuff. I was knocking them out. I don't care. I would have got the same job with her as I would have did with the other one, but I didn't know at that time.
Speaker 1: So but you don't have any way to contact her now she's gone.
Speaker 2: Are you cool with her now, I'm cool with her now.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Ill was always cool with him. Wow, she's not a manager anymore.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, okay. So since making it, were there any hurdles after that you saw that you could you you know, like anything that kind of made it hard? That part of the journey.
Speaker 2: What your part?
Speaker 1: The part on the rise to the top, the rise.
Speaker 2: To success, the hardest part of my rise, Suss. There's always been mo what black production, And to be honest with you say that again black production. I had one production. I've had one one casting Rictor once didn't bring in for a project, and then when I went in for another project got it. She was a catching breaktor. I asked her why, she said, oh, stop, you get all the jobs, let somebody else get some. She didn't bring me in because she thought I would get it and somebody else wouldn't get it. But that's not your job. Yeah, because I was getting all the jobs, they wanted somebody else to get one. But that's not your determination. I was not brought in for Joana Man. I was told I wasn't right. I was not brought in for sparks. Sparks and sparks. I told I was told I wasn't right when I took over that show. Every single thing I've got in my career I literally had to fight for. Nothing has come easy, even like now. All the work that I've done and.
Speaker 1: I'm still getting it's done a lot of work.
Speaker 2: By the way, carry the movie for the WB carried out to two year movies. And I'm just getting a call to audition for two lines on a Tyler Perry movie, three lines on this and two lines on a BT show TV show. When I'm on the TV show, when I'm on the number one show on BT, Yeah, they want me. They want me to come in audition for this show. What show? This show? Yeah, it wars it on, It's on BT B T don't know. It's like it was ridiculous. It's absolutely am But I get office every day for major network, big shows. They call me in say availability and ba ba bone. But somehow, all the black shows and all of those things, they're asking me to read for two or three little lines. I'm better than everybody. You cast foods in the whole movie and the whole TV show. You asking me to read two and three lines. I played a woman. I played a ghost. I played everything, and you're gonna do that, It's not possible. I'm not even gonna think about.
Speaker 1: You heard the whole What do you think about all that?
Speaker 2: I have no clue. Like I said, I didn't need no new minati. Yeah, if there is one, I didn't need any of that. I didn't need any games. No one ever tried to play for any of that Indian. So I'm not saying it doesn't happen because I came in. I just started working. Yeah, I didn't have to cut no corners.
Speaker 1: You didn't have to.
Speaker 2: But I can tell you this, first time I ever met Cat Williams, I said to my friend. My friend standfar said predous. He came out after last of that guy right there. It's awesome. When I first met him, he had all he had like some girls with him. He was like, yeah, give him this and that and that's this, this this. He had like five six seven different business ventures. He had a whole different mindset. You can tell that no one was gonna put nothing over on him. You can already tell that he's not going to compromise. I could already tell that he's not going to give into anything. He was like me when you got confidence. And you know, he didn't come up just I'm gonna be a just comedan. He was already and he hadn't even made it yet. He would five of the different things. I was like, what is this? Yeah, that's my this is this and she runs this department and she did. I was like, dude, that guy right there, he's awesome. That's the only thing I know about him. Wow, And he's a super hell of a comedian. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, I've seen I have some favorite comics, but I think by Far but there was I think I had. I had a talk with my little brother once and I was like, I would love to see a battle between I think it was Cat Williams. I can't remember who the other comic was, but I just think Cat Williams by far is one of the ultimate golds in comedy.
Speaker 2: I think he's funny as hell. He's here's the thing, it's not just I like that he don't just tell jokes. Yeah, he's like he kinda tell stories. When he throw that thing he put his stuff in, he gives you a whole visualization of what it is, which adds to being funny and the way he falled on the floor. He does these stupid people. I mean, it's a combination of it all. He don't just stand there and tell jokes and hope that the joe work and you laugh because you think the joke's funny. He can make the joke funny, even if not just by he added his extra stuff to it with his crazy look. He's brilliant.
Speaker 1: I think he's brilliant. I think after watching his interview it was also beautiful to see the level of integrity he had.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I knew this, but people didn't know. They didn't think he was as intelligent as he is, and he is. I think it was a good thing for him. I don't I don't know about anything about all this other stuff. Lomonnade Bluminadi. I don't know anything about all of that stuff. I just think if you just work hard, you don't have to do that. I think it's people that resort to those kinds of things when they're not sure about this self. When you got one confidence yourself and they know me, probably why I didn't go through any of that Hollywood bullshit because they know me. I'm loud, Hell are you talking about?
Speaker 1: So? When the Black production sends you those auditions. Now, this far in your career, do you even respond or do you know?
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, it's embarrassed.
Speaker 1: She also heard about like Taraji p Henson came out with her whole thing about pay equity.
Speaker 2: Maybe the pay equity and this thing is the worst ever. And again like for instance, I'm on Family Business, I make less on Family Business in the fifth season. Then I made the first season on Tour of Duty in nineteen eighty seven. Wow. Wow.
Speaker 1: And there's nothing really you could do about the screen actors.
Speaker 2: Girl. We've talked to screen actors. Girl. I don't know why the screen actors get and I don't care. I just think it's the worst ever. They owed us money for over five years. I got an email from says, oh, we're into it in twenty twenty. I got the same one in twenty twenty three. Oh yeah, we're into it. And it's just I don't know how even the residuals when you see one hour drum, I make more in residuals from stuff I did in the eighties that's on now. And when the one hour episode of Family Business comeing on you at you get thirty dollars. Wow. That's because SAG allowed them to. Because when we first came on, we got a twenty seven hundred dollars three thousand seven dollars which was supposed to be every show. I don't know what. SAG let them check whatever box they need. They checked and changed it to thirty dollars. So how could they be paying us that one at thirty three thousand and seven and now it's thirty dollars for one hour show and it's been shown and shown and shown, and they're just raping us. How raping us?
Speaker 1: How does the whole SAG in actor dynamic work because you keep referencing.
Speaker 2: What SAG supposed to protect us as our union. So but now if SAG says to you, okay, you got to pay them twenty seven hundred, three thousand dollars per rerun, okay, but you know what, if you can check this box and you can say that you're this kind of prediction, then you only have to pay them thirty dollars and then they do that. Now, the SHAG should not allow them to do what they're doing. We're supposed to get three thousand something dollars for every time you're locked down during the COVID lockdown about ten times. Never got a what and there's so many though, Well that's because I mean the strike was like this, that little thing that they were allowed to do with that little box, wasn't there. That little box is put to give it to an example like say Netflix and all these other studios and streaming services. And they're back way back when when if it did the deal, they said, we can't afford to pay him three thousand something dollars because we don't get the same advertising dollars that the networks get. We don't get the same viewership. Okay, well we'll let you be able to do this little box. Yeah that was then. Now they're getting more viewers than them, they're getting bigger advertising dollars, and they're still they still able to get along with the little box. And SAgs supposed to be doing this. We were either re end this because of SAG and then we SAG. We have to go in strike because of this. I mean, we're all so much money and and and nobody from SAG. You can't call them every time I've called all the time, other actors called it does no good. They they don't want to go against them because you know you're gonna come and go. They're gonna be giving that some money for other actors for a long time. So I get a feeling. I don't know, but that's my own interpretation of why they won't do anything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you're not in it for the money. You're in it.
Speaker 2: I've never been in it for the money. I've always said I want to be a movie star. I want to I want to make a career. Because I've bet friends who've been movie starts to follow up and come back down all the way of going up my career. They're like this, hey, and then this, this, this, and now I'm down like this, here's a couple of dollars. Do that. Here's a couple of dollars. Do that. And then another year passed. I see this other actor. Oh he's this, he's that. He come up and he's he's a start, and now I see him. Now I'm down here loaning his money. So I just wanted a steady career, a steady career. I've made over to two hundred thousand dollars every year since i've been here, So well, i'll tell you this.
Speaker 1: So it was funny, So I of course was I hunted you down. I saw you at it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I saw you. I was looking over the balcon I saw you down at there.
Speaker 1: I've been trying to get you. And so I was on a call with the Black Effect, the Bookers and everybody. I was like, how Miguel Nunez? And I remember the booker saying, oh my gosh, that's so exciting because a lot of times you see these actors, they're like every day, you see them on everything, right, but you don't really know their story. You don't know that side of them. So it was kind of fun to be able to be like, everyone's like, just curious about you.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm curious about you.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying, what you know, my sandwich is delicious, but I'm gonna have to eat it after I interview with you.
Speaker 2: Of course, Oh yeah, I should have probably did that.
Speaker 1: So how have you not panicked in or even looked at some of the peers that went to the top and said should I? Could I be up there? Do you ever look at their race?
Speaker 2: Nope? Never. I stay at my lane. And I've been doing all for all of these years. I've been on my first TV show in nineteen eighty seven. It's twenty twenty four on a TV show. Now, it's only been two or three years when I wasn't on one at the end, two and three years straight. No, I'm saying it's only it's probably been about out of the last twenty maybe three or four years that I haven't been on a TV series since nineteen eighty seven. Okay, So I'm right where I wanted. My career is fine because I always I was scared. I really hundred million percent believe knowing how wild I was. If I had been, if Sky had not kept me on this, because God protects what God directs. My grandparent was a peak cake. My grandparents will preaching, so and oh you're a preacher's kid.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay.
Speaker 2: And I and if I had a gone and I had been this, if somebody gave me twenty five million dollars for a movie in the nineties, I don't think I'll be here right now. Oh really, I would have been too. While God knows exactly what and level. I'm so satisfied. And like I said, I've seen them go and they dropped some inny drops. So it wasn't about shooting that. Mine was about having a career, build a career. I wouldn't be able to do this.
Speaker 1: You when you see the other people rise and drop, do you see like is there a level of pain that you see? Also, that's like where it's like, man, you get that high and then you hit that low.
Speaker 2: No. No, I can always look at the drop and the drop and which person is and you know where and where and why and how because a lot of people it's all hype. You can't survive on hype. You can shoot up with hype, but you can't stay there, you know, because like I give you an example, like right now, asking me to read for this road in the movie, I'm like, okay, well who's starting it? And then I'm looking at and there's some guy who from the internet who you know, I.
Speaker 1: Know, the whole following thing now right.
Speaker 2: You're fucking kidding me? Are you really kidding me? And it's that it's it's so I don't really look at I don't know, I don't I wish everybody well. I think I'm so happy and proud for anything anybody does, because when we struggle so hard anyway as a people, but for anybody black, white, oh young, I'm happy for everybody. If I see you going up, Hey you need some help, I help you. Doesn't. I've never been a jealous. I've never been in me none of that. I've always wished everybody best. And I think if you do that, then you'll be because like the Bible said, whatever place you be content. Even when I was in homeless, I mean I wasn't. I was. I was content because I knew where I was going.
Speaker 1: So I'm curious, from when you were homeless, did you ever make a buddy that you were homeless with that you're still friends with? So today, I know that was random.
Speaker 2: No, that was That's a good one. There was a guy named Gary, Kay, k Sam, and Carlos. It was four of us and we were all like this homeless group.
Speaker 1: That's all the age.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we were all in this. Say I was the youngest and we were all downtown homeless together. They kind of helped me out because they called me young blood, okay, and so they took care of me. But yeah, we became like a little downtown LA homeless group. So but Gary went back to New York. I don't know where k is. Carlos, I don't know where Carlos went back to Sam and Carlos h and when of them had got into a fight, bad fight, he had to go back to New York. But yeah, but I haven't talked to him a while, and I still see a lot of the people.
Speaker 1: I remember.
Speaker 2: I was just in sacks and something in Beverly and I'm walking and this girl goes, cut your boy? What the hell? Who the hell said it? And it was this girl she was like and she was one behind the count and she was a country boy. I was like, damn, not country boy anymore. And she was a girl that was we had met when we were homeless. She her family was in that little homeless hotel that they me too. It's it's just warm. It's just warm. It's just warm that I don't like me. It looks like it looks like this.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, Yo, you should always have a gas stove for the rest.
Speaker 2: Of your life. I agree. And if I had one of these, it would be on all the time. I would never forget to turn off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I remember this story. Okay, So I have four there's four siblings, and it was me. I have an older brother, a little brother, and a twin. And one time I left plastic on the stove and my parents had left. My mom is a crazy, abusive Jamaican, full blood Jamaican crazy, So yeah, so I leave this on the stove, catches fire, and I assure you that we were so scared of my mom. Luckily it was snowing. Us three kids managed to grab the fire and the pot and everything and throw it out in the snow. I mean the whole house was like engulfed in black smoke. My mom still beat us, still sends us to the basement and everything. But the firefighters were like, yo, your kids like saved your house.
Speaker 2: But you know, well, why did it catch fire?
Speaker 1: Because I had left something been down.
Speaker 2: In the basement. Your brothers had suffered from you.
Speaker 1: So she whipped me and like literally I had a scar across my face for a long time.
Speaker 2: And damn she was abusive, sound like the way we were.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she was abusive.
Speaker 2: Trust me.
Speaker 1: I have the same issues you have. But I like talking about it because I'm curious now that I get older, Like I do therapy. Do you go to therapy?
Speaker 2: Have you not? Really?
Speaker 1: I I'm just so surprised because you're so well rounded, it seems, but you don't have any consistent thing that pops up between you and your personal relationships that stand out. Wow, God definitely had his hand on you.
Speaker 2: You just have to. I just believe it's here.
Speaker 1: Every though, Also that you take care of your mom. So what does your mom and your relationship look like?
Speaker 2: Now? Well, it's not that good. But here's my thing. I got a lot of brothers at all. Everybody's kind of that kind of little have a little thing against her, and you know, because you know you didn't care. Da da da da da da da. But me, I tell my brothers my mom ran away from sixteen when she got to New York. She was this beautiful young girl. She was all of these different singers and movie stars. She was used, so she never really knew what love was. So whenever saying she didn't love me, I can't expect her love because she told us she didn't want any kids. With all accidents, so she didn't want us to any kids. So I get that, and I understand that, and I don't harp on it. And you know, I can't say, oh, she ain't love me. Of course she didn't love me. She didn't want me, So I get it. She was you. She never really knew love, so I'm pasted it all. I block it out because stress cost is all of that, and stress is what ages you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you look good, but I don't you let me so good in person. I was surprised that he's I.
Speaker 2: Let no one, I let nothing ever bothered me. I don't care. Why. If I went somewhere right now and I fell in a ski accident and they said, you know what, we're gonna have ampler tap both of your leaders, I was like, Okay, this is gonna hurt. That's all I would get. Really, I wouldn't give up. And nothing in my life's gonna change. I promise you. In about another eight months, I'm gonna have some some things on my leg and I'm gonna be running over.
Speaker 1: There, your brother. If I were to ask your brother, like, hey, was there ever a point where you saw Miguel like broken?
Speaker 2: No, because he was. He was a little baby when I left.
Speaker 1: I'm saying, but even in your whole life, there was nothing that ever had you shook.
Speaker 2: No, nothing, nothing, nothing could I can't think of anything that could shake me.
Speaker 1: Nothing in the whole career, nothing brought you to question.
Speaker 2: Never I already know is it.
Speaker 1: I wonder how that is possible, that your faith is so strong that it's never.
Speaker 2: I saw it for some reason. I swear to God it was more than a dream. I literally can honestly say I knew it. I knew it. I knew it, and I don't know how I knew it. I don't know where it came from, but I knew it.
Speaker 1: So did you end up taking acting classes?
Speaker 2: No, never, don't need you too. What do you do?
Speaker 1: You just empathize really well with the characters.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, it's like I've always studied actors and the good ones, and I watched them how they do it. I did start in the acting class once about I was in there for about two weeks. But then the guy I start doing it, he was like, come on, come on. He was using me to show her about how to do it. Every time. I don't need to be but I just looked at it, look at it like this, and this has always worked for me. My philosophy is this, if you do say, think and react exactly how you would really think, say, look and react in whatever that scene is, you don't have to act. You don't have to act. I was still homeless when I did Friday thirteen and that thing crying and screaming. Everybody else we've been wondering how they look. I got kill taking a ship and Friday thirteen, Part five was in my first movie, and I was screaming and crying. I never acted in my life, and all of the tales and everything were flowing. But I just I didn't know how I was gonna do it. I just knew if, okay, if you and now what's gonna happen, Shit, iver hit the gym, You're gonna do it. I just always do exactly. Now, when you go in there with all that bravado, trying to be the movie star and trying to have all this went about how you look and how you're gonna feel and all of that, it's a whole different story. You're not gonna believable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was h I hate to throw names out there, but I always feel like some actors give an example, like maybe like some of these actors that really almost more care about how they look, they really aren't that actors. I hate to say it. I don't want to call out names, but like you know what I no, no, I think is a really good actor. But I think no. For instance, like I think Halle Berry and Jennifer Lopez, honestly, I think they're really great actors, but they don't really care how they look on camera.
Speaker 2: You can't. You can't, and if you do, I don't care what you think. People see it, yeah and feel it.
Speaker 1: Yeah you know. Yeah. So now that So, I was talking to a young actor recently and he was talking about how there is this thing in Hollywood with the black male actors. Do you see any like preference or leaning towards like your typical because it sounds like when you were growing up going through your career, if you were the most chosen, then they were like, well maybe we should skip past him and give someone else a shot. But now I hear young actors saying, well, no, that they want the safe looking dude like the Michael B. Jordan. They want this safe looking black guy in a lot of roles. You don't deal with any of that.
Speaker 2: No, I'm safe.
Speaker 1: And then now that your career is so long, do you even have to do a lot of casting or do you.
Speaker 2: Just only for black productions, only for black productions. I don't get it. I don't understand why only black productions really every white production. Everything, they just call and start getting into it. Only black production ask me the audition. Only black people. Black productions ask me for that stuff. Now, I don't get it, but it is what it is.
Speaker 1: Would you prefer to work for black productions though?
Speaker 2: I would prefer to work for any productions that has integrity, honesty, and care about the cast, the crew, and everybody except lining their own pockets. Yeah. Yeah, that's my thing, because I think I've never wanted all them. I want everybody to make money. I want everybody to be happy. I want everybody. That's the way it should because there is enough. But right now, producers, I want to be doing a big interview very very soon, and I'm gonna break some shit down.
Speaker 1: Why don't you do it right now?
Speaker 2: I can't do it right now. I can't do it right now.
Speaker 1: Why would he say that?
Speaker 2: I can't do it right now? But you got the first preview, so you can work bad. Yeah, okay, America, come.
Speaker 1: Back and do it. What's up with this bio pic on you? I feel like it would be really good.
Speaker 2: I'm writing now. I'll let you read it first.
Speaker 1: I'll hold you to that.
Speaker 2: I promise you can give me your opinion, because I'm writing a whole lot of stuff in it, and I was trying to edit some things because I know some ship, and I had to leave out the eighties and nineties because that's going to be Why.
Speaker 1: Why would you leave anything in your story out?
Speaker 2: I can't put this ship. That's a whole different book. That's a whole different book.
Speaker 1: By the way, I love to read.
Speaker 2: So that's like if I was if God dog be in the rooms I've been in, princesses kings because movie stars, sports stars in the.
Speaker 1: What is the craziest thing that you've seen in the industry that by far left your speechless? That won't get you in trouble that you can.
Speaker 2: I can't tell now because my ship is like Kat Williams on steroids, all of this stuff. You remember the places I've been, the people I've been with, the things I hung out with. So I'm already writing a book, but I want to do it tastefully, so I don't expose anybody except the ones that deserve it.
Speaker 1: Except the ones that deserve it. Can you name some people that you're believing me nothing?
Speaker 2: You know, we'll do a part. Any major star in the eighties and nineties, any one of the biggest on the planet. I hung out with him, chilling at home in private settings and parties everyone and some ship. You wouldn't that's things that about stars nobody could believe, and it's it's it's weird to me.
Speaker 1: Well, do you think it's weird that, like like a lot of this stuff is coming out now that since the me too movement, like with P Diddy and.
Speaker 2: The Man show quest do you believe all that stuff about p Diddy? Me?
Speaker 1: One hundred? Everybody say that, well P Diddy has had a very and I didn't.
Speaker 2: I listened to me. I didn't even know all of that until somebody said it. I mean, you mean me, that ain't true, And everybody keeps saying like you, I'm like really, everybody's like really, really, dude.
Speaker 1: When I first got into seven Guy, I would hear stories about like you would go into uh his record label, and like the interns would be running up, like asking for food to eat. They were all starving over there.
Speaker 2: I used to I don't believe.
Speaker 1: Then you hear about his publishing deals. You heard that he recently released his publishing but after I think it was the girl from Danny Kane said, yeah, after the publishing was worth absolutely nothing, and then they had to sign.
Speaker 2: Shop Shop Stop Shop.
Speaker 1: They had to sign n das so that they could not release any details about.
Speaker 2: Okay, So if you're gonna get if you sign an NDA and you're not gonna talk about something for signing something that's worth nothing, that don't make sense to me.
Speaker 1: Well that's the thing. She didn't sign it, she said. She offered to pay everyone out in the group, like, I will pay you what it's worth to not sign this NDA. Who there was the what was her name, Aubrey Day or something. Okay, So so you so you don't believe none of it.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I've hung out with I was, I've hung out with it. I've never seen nothing but a nice, swell, amazing guy. And everybody always say, Miguel, you keep saying that you ain't seen nothing. Of course you're not gonna see nothing. They're not gonna show it around you. I don't think bisexual quality, no, none, whatsoever. None. I don't know.
Speaker 1: There was rumors swirling about that man for a long time.
Speaker 2: I know I heard that and then they said, Miguel, I heard that that everybody in the Mama's gay, and I know them all, and I don't never seen anything. And then all my friends said, Miguel, they're not gonna do it because they know you. You got a big mouth. You'd be like, you know somebody, they.
Speaker 1: Don't have a big mouth because you haven't said nothing.
Speaker 2: No, but this is no, no, no no. But I would have done it right then if something would have happened, if I'd have been somewhere and somebody had made he talking about I went outside.
Speaker 1: Megga, you know what just happened.
Speaker 2: You believe what I just saw them all. I swear to God, they had, I would have been telling everybody. It wouldn't have been no wait some years.
Speaker 1: And but I also think that people probably wouldn't do it in front of you, because I think that more people with a high morale, people tend to shield them.
Speaker 2: From Do you believe in an Illuminati whatever the hell that means.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I believe in that. And the only reason why I say that is because when I first became Christian later in life, I'm raised Jewish, and you know, you know that I remember people trying to say that jay Z was an Illuminati, and I was like, no way, he's my favorite rapper of all time. But have YouTube videos.
Speaker 2: And but hood on think okay, so let me get the track. You said, Oh no, because what is the old No, what what is the Illuminatis? That it would be a oh no, what is it? What is the Illuminati?
Speaker 1: I was supposed to be some group of people that I guess worship the devil.
Speaker 2: I know that's what it is, Okay, I didn't know that worship the devil. That's what I think.
Speaker 1: Illuminatis they worshiped the devil or they Yeah.
Speaker 2: I just think, to me, I think that's far far more ludicrous than you, a folks, Ludacris what. I think that's far more ridiculous and ignorant than you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, no, I agree. I agree. I saw some of the YouTube videos about jay Z when I was first becoming Christian. This guy was like trying to convince me that, like, you know, he believed in the devil because I listened to jay Z a lot. You saw my big painting of jay right, I try to get everyone.
Speaker 2: To look at that pain.
Speaker 1: I said that, and oh you did you like it? You know it's the only one in the world. My mom did it for me when I was like twenty four.
Speaker 2: I paid it. Your mother painted, Yeah, she did.
Speaker 1: She has way better work than that. That's actually one of her worst works. She's always like, sell it to jay Z. I'm like, I'm never gonna sell it to jay Z. Wow. But if he paid me enough, I'd sell it and then you'd pay you again to make me a second.
Speaker 2: No, you got to keep the original. The risk her to make him one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you saw the You know what makes that painting so unique is that in the way when I see that paint.
Speaker 2: One left this camera and walk out there so they could show him.
Speaker 1: You're gonna you.
Speaker 2: Should show them though, since we're talking about I know.
Speaker 1: We always talk about it, they'll get an impost at it or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yea, yeah that's what I mean.
Speaker 1: But but yeah, one of the things I like about that painting and the reason why it stuck out to me is like, I'm always the broke girl that has these dreams like past my environment. I'm always the one where everyone's like, you're crazy, You're crazy for having that idea. Now after so many years, people are like, she's gonna do whatever she wants to do. But I like that he looked past his environment, and that's kind of what happened with you. That is exactly what happened with you. It didn't matter what your environment was like, You're like, this is where I'm going, and nothing chaotic around me can stop me from reaching that deck.
Speaker 2: And that's the problem with kids in America, especially our people, because we are so we're looking at our This world is so much bigger than your neighborhood, your click, where you from. It's a great, big world out there. And if some of these kids, I mean you can suffer and anywhere. They just got out of their comfort zone, their little area. They're scared and venture out. I know one in mind Fire family had been in California something. My uncle drove a car and sold it here. But now I got kids born here, brothers and families and nephews and nieces. I started at migration in California. You could be that person in your hometown, in your neighborhood. Get out of that neighborhood. If you're not prospering there, you can do the same thing. If you ain't doing nothing there, you can do the same thing somewhere else. People are so afraid to get out of their comfort zone. They're afraid to get out and do whatever it is excuse me that is necessary to do what to achieve their goals. They're afraid. Don't be afraid, but I do be understand. It has to be afraid. You have to be afraid if you don't have a plan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you have to be afraid of if you don't have a plan. But I've been working on a course called like Entrepreneur Mindset, and the first thing I teach is getting out of your comfort zone. I'm like, get out of your comfort zone.
Speaker 2: There.
Speaker 1: So, we live in Los Angeles and there's kids that live here right now that have never been to the beach. I'm like, wait what. And they're in the hood, They're not even that far from the beach and they have never been to the beach. And I told myself when I think it was Trevor no Have you read Trevor Noah?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: I want you. I love him.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you something. One of my favorite books of all time is Trevor Noah's book Born a Crime. But one of the things his mom would do when he was younger was she would take him to the rich neighborhoods and show him all the big mansions. And I think that's so essential for kids to get out of that everyday cycle. And I think that really paid. That was a pinnacle thing that she did, that paved the way to now you know, he owns home next time Meltrum, Bendela or whatever. And I think it play. It plays a huge role. Even my daughter, she's too She's been on the plane like fourteen times.
Speaker 2: My kids all over the world before there was ten. And that's another thing. You got to get him out. Because I want to start an organization I'm thinking about it where taking all these kids from.
Speaker 1: The hood to Africa because I would love that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because let me tell you something. If I took twenty kids to Africa from the poorest neighborhoods in the United States and I take them on tour Africa, and when every one of them came back, I promise you, if anybody in their neighborhood, in their family, in their school ever say you we're poor and you're poor, They're gonna look at them saying you're a damn lie. We are not poor. You don't even know what poor is. You won't know what poorst When they come back over there, they're gonna look at their whole situation differently.
Speaker 1: I've never been to Africa as that amazing.
Speaker 2: Huh, it's amazing. But when you go to the poorest places and see why they're living in little mud hunts and the ain't got no food and this is for the whole family, and they have to sit there and cut it up into eight pieces, that's really and they have nothing nothing. You go in their houses and you see and then you come back here and you look at you walk in your nice AS's house, close your door, got beds and stuff, and talking about we poor you got shit in refrigerator. Over there they got nothing. Every one of those kids will come back and all twenty five of them will spread out like a cancer and change the mindset of people around them, and their mindsets will be changed. And then they're sure we bring a different group next year. Each one of them may be bring somebody who they after telling people who they think need now. Next week, next year we take fifty over.
Speaker 1: I was thinking, like, Jews have a birthright. Sorry, guys, I know we're going over bohead, go ahead, but birthright. Jews have this thing. I think it's up to the age of twenty seven that if you have Jewish blood in you, you could go to Israel for fourteen days fully paid for for free.
Speaker 2: Right Wait wait, wait, wait say it again.
Speaker 1: If you are is that right now? Yes to this day, if all the way up to I think the age of twenty seven, if you have jew blood in you, you can go to Israel for fourteen days for free under birthright, so you can go. Yeah, you know what's so crazy?
Speaker 2: So what if you got something else juwe blood And I go, yeah, no, it's.
Speaker 1: So funny because I ended up paying later because when I was younger, I was dumb, and I was like, I have so much going on. But then I went later and I ended up on a plane where the whole birthright group and I was like, I have was so silly, but I think African Americans need to go to Africa.
Speaker 2: Well that's why Ghana, that's why Ghana is doing that. Did you know right now doing a birthright type thing if you are African American? H Ghana said, well, you know they told you, well they're going to give you four the acre it's and me, we know they told you that. So if you're African American, you set foot in Ghana, you're automatic citizen, really and you get a free house? What? Yes, we need to I think it's ten acres. I think you are. I think, yes, we need to go to Ghana. You want to?
Speaker 1: Actually, you can do a Ghana trip.
Speaker 2: I would love to do.
Speaker 1: You really want to know.
Speaker 2: I'm that serious because I have some some government people over there too. Also, there's another.
Speaker 1: You're not gone right, we should do it together.
Speaker 2: Okay, you heard it, you heard it, you canlog it. You heard it. I've done. It'll be huge, all right, go on?
Speaker 1: So what were you saying?
Speaker 2: I said, there's another couple of other African countries that I am also doing that Feet to Earth. Yeah, I mean Israel did. Why can't in Africa do if you want to get people back home, give them automatic citizens. Every African American over here should the moment they set foot on any African land, African Union national, you guys should do this. There should be a citizen, you know, and and that would help.
Speaker 1: I want I want to do the Ghana. I'm gonna look into it.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna hold you to you know, Steve, Steve want to move the right.
Speaker 1: No, I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: Ghana.
Speaker 1: What how long is those flights? So there long?
Speaker 2: Huh a long flight.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna do it. We're gonna do it together.
Speaker 2: You heard that right here.
Speaker 1: First, I'm gonna literally all right, Well, thank you so much. What can like, what other projects do you have coming up that we could kind of stay tuned in for? And how can people keep up with you?
Speaker 2: Well, you can follow me on my I g is M and you n easy j R. M. June is Junior, also on TikTok and but I am working on a project right now or you know, Family is season five is coming, but we just finished season five Family, so it's gonna be fire surprises coming. But also we're developing a Jawana Man two as well. So and then after that, I think I'm gonna hit the road for about five years and just travel really all over the world. Well, and we can do the GNA trip.
Speaker 1: What about this biopic?
Speaker 2: What about it? I'm just writing it, so it's ways way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll join the five year trip. We'll just be sending sending script. I'll be reading your BioPen.
Speaker 2: Yes, No, I'm gonna give you what I wrote now and you can just read it.
Speaker 1: But I'm gonna tell you right now, if I end up reading this, I am going to be the person that's gonna come back with more questions. You like, I'm not gonna want to.
Speaker 2: Say that, and I'm gonna be like you have because here's that's why we're going to earlier, because say, I'm gonna let you read it because and I went into it, I forgot where I was. But I'm just letting everything out and then edit it later, okay, because there's so much and that's that's why I said, that's why, that's what happened. And I said, except the eighties, and then you said why then we got into that. I'm leaving out eight but I'm going through a little bit. But I'm literally I'm just telling it. And the reason I'm letting nobody read it is because I'm so much in there. I'm like, should I say that? Should I do that? But I figured it would be better to get it out and not edit it on the paper. So I haven't let anybody read it because it's so purple.
Speaker 1: I can I can read it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you got it. You could give me notes, you could give me not.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm excited you heard it here first. All right, well, thank you guys for tuning in to another episode of Eating.
Speaker 2: Spam. Spam to you by Spam and Miracle Web. When you want the perfect sandwich spam like spam sponsorship, there you go, Spam and Miracle Web. Yeah, Spam and Miracle Well, give us a sponsorship detail.
Speaker 1: Guys out for more Eating while Broke from iHeartRadio and The Black Effect, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.