Speaker 1: You know, there are a lot of balls in the air.
Speaker 2: Like I don't think it's a sure thing that the A's are going to be in Sacramento this whole three year stretch, Like, I don't think that's that's a given.
Speaker 3: Here we go.
Speaker 4: Chris Biederman is joining us covering the a senior reporter for the Sacramento b Chris, Great to have you on and welcome to foul Territory. Welcome to Sacramento, Major League Baseball.
Speaker 1: How are the first.
Speaker 4: Few days there? Obviously you can go over what you saw on the field and what you've been experiencing in Sacramento in terms of the fans receiving this team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thanks for having me. It's been pretty surreal because I've been, you know, going to Rivercats games in different capacities since like two thousand and eight, and to see major League baseball there has been kind of crazy, but it's been It's been very unique and there was a lot of excitement. I think the atmosphere was really good, albeit you know, just under fourteen thousand fans there for opening night and then you kind of saw the crowd numbers taper off a little bit. You had over twelve thousand there on Tuesday, and then over nine thousand there in a matinee getaway day on Wednesday, and things weren't really helped by the fact that the A's gave up the most runs they've given up in their first three games of their home season since nineteen twenty two. So it's been a little bit rough from that standpoint. The wind has been blowing out and the Cubs have taken advantage far more than the A's did, but it's it's a real interesting situation you have. You know, the team that the A's are sharing the ballpark with is the Sacramento river Cats, of course, who are the giants top affiliate, And I think I think the town before the A's got here has been kind of split between Giants and A's, like much of northern California, and so it wasn't going to be a slam dunk that there were just going to be legions of A's fans coming to sacrament I know, and obviously many A's fans have been pretty disenchanted by the direction of the organization and the decision to move out of Oakland. So it's just a really interesting dynamic of very polarizing situation, a lot of strong opinions going both ways, and yeah, it's it's been very unique and we'll see where it goes from here.
Speaker 5: Does it feel like I know, the seasons early, but does it feel like the organization, the Oakland A's organization has really like put a bunch of signs up and let the city know, hey, you know what, we're here now and like promoted the team or are they just kind of sitting on their hands hoping people come out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So what's interesting is is they've partnered with the River Cats, which are owned by the Sacramento Kings and the vekron A DVA, and the Kings have really have really handled a lot of the marketing and a lot of the business and ticket sales operations, and so yeah, there's been a little bit of it, but it doesn't really feel like the A's town right there. There isn't There are billboards, but they're not like everywhere you know. The A's of course, did not make Sacramento as part of their team name. They're the only team in North American major sports without a city attached to their name. They're just the athletics. And so I think some people in Sacramento rightfully, so are a little bit miffed by that. And I asked John Fisher about that specifically on on Monday, the team's owner, and he just he kind of sideset the question, and he said, look, this is an amazing this is an amazing development for Sacramento.
Speaker 1: There's major League Baseball here.
Speaker 2: The Chicago Cubs are in town without really acknowledging the fact that, you know, they they aren't really adopting Sacramento. They're not putting it on the uniforms. They do have a patch with the tower Bridge. That's cool, and they gave out hats on opening night that have the tower Bridge patch on the center of the hat. But you know that there's no there's no apparel you can buy that says Sacramento on it, at least none that I've seen. And I'm not sure if that's going to change or not. But the A's did file for the trademark for Sacramento A's, but they aren't making any apparel with it, so they're not fully embracing it from that standpoint, and I think there are some fans in town who are a little miffed by that, but also the A's have made it pretty clear that their goal is to make this a temporary venue because they have sites on Las Vegas, which you know, they hope to open that Dome Ballpark on the Vegas Strip in twenty twenty eight.
Speaker 1: We'll see if that happens.
Speaker 2: Obviously, the A's don't have the best history when it comes to finalizing stadium deals and getting shovels in the ground, but they're optimistic that it's going to happen. So we'll just have to wait and see.
Speaker 3: Chris. A couple of things before we dig in.
Speaker 6: One nice slave, one behind you whatever it's called now lego, So that's that's kil.
Speaker 3: I have two of those in my house.
Speaker 1: Oh, thank you, thank you, sweet touch.
Speaker 6: Second of all, I played in Sacramento in twenty twenty twenty zero zero, two thousand, and it was a launching pad.
Speaker 3: So this doesn't supper the run score.
Speaker 6: But my real question is is they say fourteen thousand seed stadium. Do you know what the attendance recorded by Major League Baseball was on the first game in Sacramento?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was was it twelve thousand, nineteen or something like that, one.
Speaker 6: Hundred and nineteen, So where in the holy hell are they getting it insto a fourteen thousand seed stadium? If on the first game of the year against the Cubs, now against the team that has a national following, right the Chicago Cubs, they.
Speaker 3: Only draw twelve thousand.
Speaker 6: The next night I think was ten thousand, like you said, And then the third night was under nine thousand or hold on, let me I'm looking here.
Speaker 3: Ten thousand.
Speaker 6: The second night, yeah, ten thousand, ninety five, and then yesterday was nine thousand.
Speaker 3: I believe. I know it is a ghetaway day. It was a day game. But where do they keep coming up with this fake number of fourteen thousand? Are they talking about?
Speaker 6: They talking to vendors, the clubhouse guys, the bat boys, the bird circle in the stadium. I'm like, I'm super confused because then they had ninety three hundred there, Yes, So where do they get fourteen thousand from?
Speaker 3: Because I can't figure it out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I'm with you on that. I think that I know they have ten thousand fixed seats and then they have, you know, a few extra thousand that they can fit out in right field and right center field and the grass burm area, and they sell those tickets day of for twenty five bucks. So yeah, I'm not really sure, and I know the A's were putting it out. They put it out over the summer that they sold all of their premium season tickets for the season. They put it out in January that they sold they sold out all of their season tickets. So apparently all the season tickets have sold out per the team's messaging. But you look at the pure attendance numbers of who's actually been in the ballpark, and it would indicate that it's not as successful as the team was talking about beforehand. So you know, I know, look, as I mentioned, the A's are partnering with the Kings in this. The Kings are you know, vivekrona dive has been very vocal about how he wants this to be an opportunity for Sacramento to pay maybe lare an expansion team, and city leaders and politicians and business leaders have all said the same thing. So I think the messaging early on was look how much interest there is, Look how many people are buying tickets, and then you see the first three games they fall flat, not only on the field, but it seems like they fell flat in terms of attendance. And man, if you know, if that's what the first three games looks like, you got to be a little bit worried about what it looks like when you know it's one hundred degrees in the middle of June and July. You know, are are people going to still want to come out, particularly if the team's not winning? And and I am optimistic about you know what the team is. It's a young, exciting team, particularly offensively. They have not pitched well at all early on. But yeah, I'm I'm you know, I'm with you aj and that like, I'm not really sure where these where these ballparks numbers were going. I know there was a lot of messaging coming from the team side about the season tickets and stuff, and we frankly the first three games have been kind of a letdown from that standpoint.
Speaker 5: You said, you've been going in some capacity to Rivercats games since two thousand and eight, right, so you've been watching some games?
Speaker 3: How have Yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 2: No, I was just gonna I intern for them back in the day, you know, in college and all that. So it's been Yeah, it's been a trip.
Speaker 5: But anyway, continue, How how has the field played these three games compared to what you saw otherwise. Is it big leaguers making a minor league park look like a minor league park or is this an anomaly? And it'll start to get because once it gets warmer, we know the ball flies even more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the ball definitely flies in the summer months. I will say the wind that they had this week was blowing out towards right center field, which is typically not the prevailing win. The prevailing wind typically blows in, and so you know, it was a little bit unique from that perspective.
Speaker 1: It was pretty cold.
Speaker 2: It was in the fifties and forties late in these games the first two nights, so it was chilly, but the ball really carried because of the wind and as far as the field goes, that's that's kind of another interesting subplot. I'm sure you guys are well aware. The initial plan was to have an artificial surface there because there are one hundred and fifty some odd games played at Sutter Health Park between the A's and Rivercats. Ultimately, the Players Union stepped in. They went with natural grass, and they did they did all they could to have to have a you know, a really regenerative surface that has a super unique injection system when it comes to nutrients and things like that. So apparently the grass is gonna be gonna be able to bounce back from all the wear and tear. But again, that's another thing we'll have to see in the summer. Is it going to get super baked out in July and August? Is it you know, are there going to be massive brown spots?
Speaker 1: And where the out fielders are?
Speaker 2: Uh that those are all really significant questions when you get to the summer, in the summer heat. But yeah, I think the ball is going to carry regardless if it's you know, if it's late March early April, you'll get the wind blowing out to right center field. In June and July you'll get the wind coming in from that direction, but the ball will still carry because of how warm it is. So I do expect it to be more hitter friendly and and we'll see if the A's pitching can can combat that at all, because they certainly haven't during the first three games.
Speaker 3: Are they going to be good? I thought the A's would be good.
Speaker 6: They picked them kind of as my sleeper team to be their their their their number was very low for over unders. I took the over easy because I thought they would be better with Savarino and Springs and some of the other guys have another year in of the belt.
Speaker 3: But the a is going to be good because these first three.
Speaker 1: Games they look like plea, Yeah, I'm with you.
Speaker 2: I think, you know, it's a tough start, and and you know, the pitching is in isn't what they want it to be, and obviously that was the issue for them last year, much more so than the offense. So I think, you know, I think they're going to be better than they've been during the first week of the season. I think we saw, you know what this team is going to be a better representation of them, I think was the first series in Seattle, and then you come to West Sacramento and you know they don't pitch well at all. They allow thirty five runs in three games they including eighteen on opening night, which was the most ever by or the most been a home opener for a home team since nineteen twenty five.
Speaker 1: I think it was.
Speaker 2: You have a couple of records going back one hundred years going against the A's in their first series, which is.
Speaker 1: Kind of wild.
Speaker 2: But no, I think they're better than how they've played these three games. I think the offense is going to pick up. They have a bunch of good young hitters. There are some question marks defensively, and obviously the big question is starting pitching. But I think they're better than what they looked like these last three games, and I would expect them to be in the wildcard mix, and that's I know, that's the expectation they set out for themselves. Mark Cotts say, their manager, talked about that that the expectations are a lot different this season coming in, and they do expect to be in that playoff mix. So I hope for their sake that this is just a slow start and they pick things up like they did last year when they were five hundred after the break. So we'll see how it goes. But they're more talented, particularly offensively, than what they've shown these last three games.
Speaker 6: Chris, you mentioned the field and how they're cheering it with the river Cats. By the way, no field could sustain one hundred and eighty straight games of being I don't care how what they inject it with I mean, but it can't be worse than what was in Oakland right when they used to have the Raiders field on it. I mean they would do a Raiders game and that field was destroyed. It was like playing on concrete. There was no grass. I mean it was painted green, but the grass was dead in most places and it was just painted green. You had the infield, you know, the lines through the field, the whole thing. So it can't be worse than that, even though it will be destroyed because you can't play games on a baseball field one hundred and eighty straight days, and I'd give it a little break somewhere.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a great point, and we'll see how that goes. They there was a lot of discussion about that with the players union and the league when when they're sorting it all out and figuring out that they did want to use a natural surface instead of artificial grass, which I completely get because you know, you don't want to be out there on an afternoon in Sacramento where it's a one hundred and ten degrees on artificial surface. That just doesn't sound like any fun for anybody. So yeah, I mean that, Well, we'll see. There are a lot of things are going to reveal themselves as the season goes on. As you know, we we talked about the attendance, Like, is that going to hold up over the long term, particularly if the A's aren't winning?
Speaker 1: Is the field going to hold up? How's that going to work?
Speaker 2: Is this going to be a situation where you know, there are a lot of balls in the air, Like, I don't think it's a sure thing that the A's are going to be in Sacramento, these these this whole you know, three year stretch, Like, I don't think that's that's a given, particularly if, like you said, the field gets completely baked out, it turns into concrete by the time August comes around. You know, if if opposing teams voice their complaints, the media situation certainly isn't great. I know fans don't care about that, but the media situation, the lack of like real press conference areas and press workrooms and press seating. If the A's do make the playoffs, the press setup is going to be why they won't host a playoff game. And then you'll have a scenario where if the A's do end up hosting a playoff game, more most likely is that'll be in San Francisco, And what kind of look is that going to be for the A's, So you know, there's there's a lot of balls in the air, for sure. The field's absolutely one of them. And if enough of these, if enough of these factors go poorly for the A's, it wouldn't surprise me at all if this Sacramento thing is kind of is a one and done, because you do have a major league ballpark sitting there in Oakland. I know it's being used by the Oakland Root soccer team right now, but it wouldn't take much for them to get that back ready to major league caliber. And you know, despite the team's relationship with the local officials being completely framed and the fan base can be being completely fractured, you do have a major league ballpark there that's sitting unused that could that could potentially, you know, make more sense for the A's than than West Sacramento if things go poorly.
Speaker 6: Hold up, hold up, I gotta I gotta fall Wait, you're saying the A's could go back to Oakland, which would be awesome, because it would be incredible after all the crap that was said about from the A's, not the fans, not the players, but from certain people in the organization and the war they had for years.
Speaker 3: To me, you know what.
Speaker 6: This sounds like that the A's didn't know what they were doing. They rushed into the Sacramento thing. They have no press box, they have the locker rooms around the outfield. The field could be trashed. The fans aren't showing up like they thought they were.
Speaker 1: Oh but we can.
Speaker 3: We're gonna rush back to Oakland before hopefully we're one day in Vegas.
Speaker 6: This sounds like a bigger disaster than even Scott Bron can make it out to be.
Speaker 1: Like this is this is Scott Bron's.
Speaker 6: Like dream scenario right here, like his mind, like his bobblehead right here from when he went to the fan stingy the fan fest, Like his head is about to explode because.
Speaker 4: He's like, careful, careful, I'm bringing that up north. But also I feel like, just to add to this, this came about with two friends, two billionaire friends, John Fisher and Vivek right there. I think neighbors or yacht buddies or whatever they are. They drink together or they do whatever rich people do together, whatever the cool new recreational thing is to do. Let's put it that way. AJ was looking for what I was going to say, but anyway, I mean, he's just sitting with him and he's like, oh, come over here, and he's like, uh, okay, sure, let's do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I just you know, and again this is just me speculating. I haven't heard anything, you know, but it's just you have Cubs players complaining about the situation before the series even started. You have, you know, the media situation being what it is that shed that they have out down the left field line where they have press conferences right now, it's not climbing controlled, and you know, they apparently they're going to climbate control it. But if they don't throw air conditioning in that thing on one hundred degree day, I don't know how you can have a press conference in basically a metal box that's going to turn into an oven. So that's something they have to fix, right They built this new structure out beyond the left field wall that has a new clubhouse, and the facilities are you know, they're top notch. They're not the largest facilities because the footprint isn't the biggest because you still have the Rivercat's clubhouse next door, and then you have the visiting clubhouse next door to that, and you have new batting cages built out there, so all that stuff is very nice, but they didn't build any sort of media facility out there. They're just trying to expand what was already there. And they had like, you know, a three or four person press box that they outfitted and put a couple extra seats in, and then they took a luxury suite and basically pulled the chairs out of that and have these folding chairs with tiny little desk things on them. So it's not a bad vantage point behind home plate, but it's not you know, if you're hosting a playoff game, you need one hundred and fifty two hundred seats for media people, and the A's right now have about like thirty or forty, and you had opening night with one hundred and fifty media people there, the vast majority of them were without seats and we're standing on the concourse watching and you know, basically standing room only areas. So you know, I again like, maybe it works, maybe it gets better, maybe they play winning baseball, maybe it drums up local enthusiasm and maybe everything everything ends up being fine. But today J's point like, if if you know you have one hundred and fifty three games on that grass, if the grass turns into concrete, if it's too hot, if the media situation doesn't improve. Major League Baseball could look at this scenario and say, man, why are we doing this when there's a perfectly usable major League ballpark, you know, ninety miles down the road that we've used for almost sixty years, Like, why why are we putting people through this when there's that facility that's already there. I just think it's a scenario that still in play. But again, I haven't heard you know, I haven't heard anything from any like high level officials that would say that that's super realistic at this point. But me personally, I'm just not ruling it out because we've seen how this organization has been run at the highest levels. To a certain extent, we've seen how the Kings have run their organization at the highest of levels, and that's you know, that's another discussion. But yeah, like when you match up these two owners specifically and look at how competent they've been in their respective sports over the last few years, I think it's completely fair to look at it with a lot of skepticism and say, you know, Ken John Fisher and vivek Ronadive have a successful operation like this given all the moving parts, And I think it's fair to say that, all right, I think it's fair to not be super optimistic about it.
Speaker 6: By the way, if you think what you had this weekend or this week was crazy with media, wait until Shohey comes there and he starts hitting homers against the A's or Aaron Judge, as John Fisher so eloquently put it. Wait, Tani Judge, come hit homers here?
Speaker 1: How cool will that be?
Speaker 6: And you have show Hey with all the Japanese media, with Yamamoto and Sazaki, and then you have the New York media and the seven hundred people that those teams travel with.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be a disaster. If you think it's bad now just wait.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree, we'll see. I mean, and you know that there are some I feel bad.
Speaker 6: Saying, Chris, you ain't getting a seat, By the way, you better hope you get one out of you might have to sit out on the lawn and be part of the paid attendance.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I feel for a lot of the people in the A's organization and people involved, because a lot of these decisions are way above their head, and people are doing the best they can. So I don't want it to sound like, you know, I'm blaming everybody, but there're a lot of a lot of people are trying to deal with things that are way out of their control. And you know, this all came together in less than a year. That's not a lot of time to put something like this together. So you know, you're putting a lot of people in a really difficult spot, and ultimately that's why the results.
Speaker 1: Might not be what you want initially.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Chris, we're all on the same page. We know who the main person is at fault. But yes, on on the burm or on the grass out there, they're gonna get spray paint. They're gonna do a circle and then they'll do your initials C, B, and that'll be your spot for A's Dodgers. I can already see.
Speaker 3: Just take a photo for us. It'll go well, we'll.
Speaker 1: See the Dodgers. The Dodgers don't come.
Speaker 2: Uh, they don't play road games against the A's until next year, so we'll see if you get to that point, but we have you know, the Giants will be here on fourth of July weekend. That'll be a huge series. The Yankees are coming at some point. I forget exactly when, but yeah, there there are some big, some big media draws this year, and we'll have to see how that goes. But luckily, I think for the A's. Yeah, but luckily for the A's, the Dodgers aren't coming this year, so I think.
Speaker 5: There you go.
Speaker 4: They got a break, they get one year to prep for it. Chris, you were awesome. Thank you so much for joining us. Give Chris a follow at Chris B I D E R M A and appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thanks for having me, guys,