Speaker 1: Cool Zone Media.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome to Cool People who did cool stuff. You're a weekly reminder that I have a podcast and my name is Margaret Kiljoy, and we are doing a rerun week and this week the thing we are re running is Japanese anarchists, women who kept trying to kill emperors, because that's a thing that used to happen. And some of these people were real, neat and interesting, including one of my favorite love stories I've ever gotten to tell on this show. I guess I'm starting this one.
Speaker 3: Hi, Welcome jac it appened here. It's a show. If you're listening to this episode, you probably listened to the last one. I hope you so you know what it's about. Yeah, please do don't start with I mean, I guess you could start with this one, because this one is sort of wildly different from the last one.
Speaker 2: But this is when we're rewriting it so they all survive.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I don't. No one gets executed this episode. Yes, that is.
Speaker 2: That is a win. That's and the cosmists come, the Russian cosmos come, and they resurrect at least Kennikofumiko. The rest, give or take whatever. Maybe the children could be resurrected. That's how I would prioritize it in that order.
Speaker 3: That makes sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And that voice you're hearing is Margaret Kiljoy, host.
Speaker 4: Of Cool, host of cpw DCS.
Speaker 1: Cool People Who Did Cool Stuff, a cools On media podcast that is launching its first episode on May second, and episodes are every Monday and Wednesday. I did it.
Speaker 2: Okay ww, that's true. All the things are true, except the Cosmos part.
Speaker 3: The Cosmists.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Maybe maybe maybe they'll still pull it off all right as as of yet, so we're gonna go back a little bit. We wentded the last episode in nineteen twenty three, nine twenty four with everyone sort of dead. But the reason that also didn't wipe out the anarchist movement was that does another sort of wing of it, and the other wing of it is in nineteen eighteen, nineteen seventeen, nineteen eighteen, labor movement in Japan re emerges, and it re emerges because there's the war, like Japan fights to over one and there's just like mass inflation and deprivation, and so even though striking is like unbelievably illegal, people do it anyways because the unhard. It is just starving to death. And so there's this reformist trade union that eventually becomes Japanese Confederation of Labor that swells in numbers about thirty thousand people and actually mentioned like thirty thousand people is like it doesn't sound like that big for a union. I think this is the biggest any union is going to get in this period. I think this union might get slightly bigger than that, but like, yeah, most of the unions don't crack twenty k because the size of the Japanese diustrial working class isn't that big, and also the amount of oppression is unbelievable. But you know, having thirty thousand people in your union means that your union is now the site of Japanese intro left conflict, which is wonderful.
Speaker 2: I mean there is actually like the fuck people up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's there's like, you know, there's a period where everyone kind of gets along, like all of there was like everyone of the Japanese left knows each other, like all they're all dating each other, Like this is true, Like you know we've been talking about all the anarchis dating each other. The anarchists, the communists are all dating each other, like the reformists are also dating each other, Like they're all sort of like everyone knows each other, and for like a bit they're sort of able to get along. But with with the the Japanese Confederation of Labor, this lasts for like one year, and by nineteen twenty one, the anarchists and the Bolsheviks have split over the questions of the USSR after the anarchists published like Emma Goldman writing about how it's bad actually, and suddenly these two factions are like, yeah, these these actions are like fighting tooth and nail for control of like the entire left because like these see, these these groups are like the anarchists and communists are in every social movement, like they're in They're in labor, they're in the feminist movement, They're in this movement. They're like we haven't really talked about, but it's going on in the background of all of this, which is the uh Burakuman liberation movement. The burk Kumen are this like they're this like hereditary class. I'm pronouncing that extremely badly and I apologize, but this hereditary class and like the old fuel system, which is like technically abolish in the late teen hundreds, but like discrimination against them continues. It's it's very similar to like the like the untouchable, like the untouchables in India. And so they have this sort of movement and the anarchists back it, and the communists like waffle on it because they're Bolsheviks. It takes them like a while before they're like no, no, no, nineteen twenty five where we're fully backing this now. And so yeah, I mean that gets wrapped up in this this giant battle for the control of the left, and the battle for the control of the left leads to like one of history's most common alliances, which is Bolsheviks allying with reformists who like also favor like centralized control to fight the anarchists who don't want centralized control. Yeah, there are new things, ye know, in labor movement. This plays out in this battle over like where power is supposed to be in a union confederation. So you know, the question basically is it supposed to be in the federation bureaucracy like the people are like the sort of high level of the bureaucracy it stuff, or is it supposed to be in the unions who are like the part of this federation. And this has real consequences, you know, like in a lot of sort of centralized union federations, like the central union bureaucracy, the people who decide if you can strike or not. And you know, this is extremely useful to both reformist bureaucrats who want to make sure nobody goes on strike because they have their deal with the capitalists and they they don't want a revolution to happen. And it's also very useful for the Bolsheviks who want to make sure they can purge anyone who they don't like, and also want to make sure that the union movement is just like an extension of their politics. And so there's this huge battle and it ends with basically like both the Bolsheviks and the reformists pull out of the union.
Speaker 2: Whoa, so the anarchists win, yes sort of, well they they there's a victory. There's like nothing left. Yeah, well it's not.
Speaker 3: There's nothing. So like twenty thousand members go with the reformists, like twelve thousand go with the Bolsheviks, about eight thousand go with the anarchists.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, so.
Speaker 3: It's not the best, but they rebuild and into this phrase steps uh, arguably Japan's greatest anarchist theorists of this period, how to Shooso. And this guy is a character. He's he's he's barely known in Japan. I mean, there was a sort of like renaissance in how to Cheezo scholarship when this one guy named John Krupp wrote this book called how to Shooso, How to Shooso in Pure Anarchism and into War Japan, which is a mouthful of a title, But I'm just gonna keep plugging this because like this is the book that made me an anarchist. Like this is like I checked this book out from my library and I read it and I was like, oh my god, I'm an anarchist now. So yeah, yeah, he has he has like a okay, she has a wild story. He's born in He's born in Japan in December eighth, eighteen eighty six, and he sort of like bounces around like different manual labor jobs in Tokyo, and like at one point he wants to be like a he tries to be like I don't know if it's long, shortly, he wants to be like a sailor. So he gets on a boat and he's going to be a sailor, and then he, after like one sail ride to Taiwan, he immediately decides he doesn't want to be a sailor anymore. So he just gets off the boat and leaves and doesn't come back.
Speaker 2: I feel like that's what I would do if I just said, oh, yeah, like.
Speaker 3: That job, especially like the nineteen like twenties, that job seems awful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're like, oh, I want adventure, and then you're like, oh, adventure means bad things happen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like, I guess I understand why all these people are anarchists, because like that is a terrible job. But yeah, so she so winds up so just like wandering around Taiwan. And one of the things happens when he's wandering around Taiwan, by the way, is a Japanese colony at this point, Okay, And while he's wandering around Taiwan, he becomes a Christian and he like goes to school as like a theologian, but he drops out, but then he somehow still becomes a pastor. Because I don't know, this guy's career is wild. Uh No, She's always not like a noble pastor. He rapidly starts pissing off like everyone around him because he's like all of his sermons are just him and antagonizing rich people and preaching this like very very left wed in the gospital.
Speaker 2: He like read the Bible. Yeah, yeah, it's incredible that there's this great quote from a hot Chizu and peer anarchism been into war Japan about his time as a pastor. From like someone who was there, it was Pastor how To sermons were superb so much so that I thought it was a shame that more people were not there to hear them. It was like the Bible talking in the spirit of pure socialism. But one of my friends admired Pastor hat Is so much he asked him to celebrate his marriage. Yeah, and you know this like this does not make going around.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well it's funny because so he starts like as a Christian, right, but like he just like progressively keeps getting more and more left wing and keeps realizing that like, okay, so there's the Kingdom of God in heaven, right, but like what if we did that here? And like as he's getting like, as he's pissing off more of the church and as like they're they're they're in fighting, gets bigger, he's becoming just more and more of an anarchist, and by the end he just like gets he gets booted out by his church and he's just like, Okay, I'm an anarchist propagandist now. And so nineteen twenty four he just like leaves and he's like, well, I'm an anarchist now, okay, And Shoozo becomes what's known as a pure anarchist. And this is something that is like entirely unique to Japan that like there's nothing there's this doesn't exist anywhere else, and this is different than like like basically every other anarchist theorist and movement in Japan until this point has been like something you can find parallels with and other anarchist movements around the globe. Like there are nihilists and lots of countries. There's egoists everywhere, Like there's syndicalists literally in every country that's ever existed, and they mostly sort of believe the same things, you know, and you get some like like oh Czikai's like combination of egoism and syndicalism is like.
Speaker 2: It's cool but likes I like that idea, but yeah, yeah, it's a good idea.
Speaker 3: But it's also not like it's like he's not like he's not the first person to ever do this right, And like the Japanese cyniccist movement is built in the mold of like the French Syndicalists and the CGT, which is this big union. Actually they're still around today. They're so in like the very early eighteen hundreds they were there, there were a sort of an arcosyndicalist union, like nineteen oh six, they have this famous charter. It's like anarchists. But then they go reformists and they like they vote for World War over one and now they're famous for uh there have been like twelve things that probably could have been a revolution in France if the CGT had ever a single time went to the barricades. And they never do, like it's never ever. That's like their whole thing, Like like they they set out Bay sixty eight, like that's yeah, this is a union. Yeah yeah, and they set out Bay sixty eight. It's like yeah, it's incredible, but you know the but you know, in like nineteen oh six, right, the Japanese are looking at it like cideicos looking at this like, oh my god, this this union has like millions of people in it, like it's enormous. It's a cynical union.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which is cool some time.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, And like you know, they they the Japanese anarchists do is sort of their standard syndicalist things like that they're building up democratic unions. They're like working courds, a general strike, the season music production. They're like fighting for a society or production is run by workers themselves.
Speaker 2: Blah blah blah.
Speaker 3: Blah, I shouldn blah blah blah blah. That's actually it's it's cool, it's fine. But pure anarchism is not that.
Speaker 2: I'm dying to know what pure anarchism is. This new anarchism just dropped. I'm excited years ago.
Speaker 3: It's it's kind of a it's it's a version of a naricle communism. But like what if you like really really rigorously applied in narco communism, and this is the this is the thing. It doesn't exist anywhere else because everywhere, like in the West and in Latin America, like syndicalism and anarchist and in arcal communism just like fuse to the point where like they're not really They're like, but there's not really they're not really separtendency like nobody's written in arco communist theory in like one hundred years, like like they say start you know, they've basically cease to be separate tendencies. But in Japan, the syndicalists of the an comms like fight it out to the death and this this produces pure anarchism and it rules. Weren't talk about what it is because it's both wonderful and incredibly silly at the same time. So okay, So to understand what they're arguing about, because this is this is this, this causes like a huge fracture in the anexist movements. I think we need to sort of like go into like the vulgar marxistconception of class structure that's kind of shared by the syndicalists. Okay, So okay, okay, so you're you're you're okay. The important thing about this is that like this doesn't work in Japan, like that the vulgar theory of like mark class structure, right, is that like, okay, so you're supposed to have the great dostro proletariat, Like if that's supposed to become a majority of the population. It's supposed to be unified and organized by like the discipline of the factory system, and the entire world is supposed to be reduced to two classes, like the burgeoisie and the proletariat, like one class of people who have nothing to sell with their labor. One class of people who exist purely to like extract wealth from people, because you entirely supports by owning things. And you know, eventually these are supposed to, like if you if you read your communist manifesto, eventually these two classes are supposed to like meet themselves in like a final conflict or the proletariat defeats it's called yeah, yeah, yeah, and you know, the portario defeats them, and then they abolish the conditions of their own existence as a class and you get stateless, classless money in this society. It's like a free association of workers. And this is what communism is. And famously this never happened. A yeah, what about the mortal science. Yeah, you know, well the the ordal science. Yeah, this this is the sort of this is the problem with the immortal science is that one, instead of unifying the industrial proletariat, capitalism like divides it and just sort of like like literally spatially like kicks them into suburbs, and you can get this sort of like the system where instead of like unifying everyone into one class, everyone is now this like completely alienated like boomer living in a suburb, even if.
Speaker 2: It's still work at a factory.
Speaker 3: And the other problem is that there's never just two classes.
Speaker 2: And this is the problem that like yeah, yeah, all the other ones are our enemies.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this word too, you know, but this is a real problem, right because like like the marks run into this in Russia, where it's like, okay, so we did our thing, we did our urban poltary and revolution, but like there's all these peasants and they don't like us because we keep taking their granted gunpoint and but but you know, you have you have this one problem and popular yeah, it goes great, right, nothing bad ever happens. They don't famously have to kill enormous numbers of these people. But then like, you know, so there's something weird happens, which is in China, u Stalin managed to get like the entire urb like the entire urban Chinese working class, like miltant working class killed, and so Mao has to like make a revolution with peasants, and so you know, peasants become the sort of like you know, this this sort of like this, this is what the actual revolution subject of communism wants up being, like from like China to Columbia, it is these peasants. But like, you know, okay, so your theory of the industrial poletariat is already down the toilet, and this is what Shoozo is reacting to you. Like he looks at Japanese society and there's like five people who you wage labor. Mostly there's this enormous like like forty fourteen million people who are tenant farmers who are like trying to suppoil their families on these like tiny plots of rented land. But you know, and like center Marxist theory is like, well, okay, these people will inevitably be absorbed into capitalism right by they'll be driven by competition or whatever to the market. But like they're not, it's not happening. They're just they're sitting there and they're still just really poor and paying their landlords and yeah, yeah, well, you just gotta wait for all of Japan to be like.
Speaker 2: Annihilated to be saved by the second point of yeah uh yeah, yeah, it's it's it's going great.
Speaker 3: But and it's also like there's all these other like classes too, Like there's there's these classes of like there's these like petty traders for example, or like they're like low level, like really low level government officials like like you know, you're like like a clerk for example, who just don't fit into this sort of class schement at all. Like if if if marks some things about like like small like I don't know, people who like cut would and then go into a town and sell it.
Speaker 2: Like they're like, well there's these people are perti bourgeois, like their reactionaries blah blah blah.
Speaker 3: And then there's this whole history of like anarchists organizing people like this who mark just just sort of like steer at Like Bolivia has this where like anarchists organize these like these indigenous like passive like they're not really passive, these indigenous artisans whose things like they did go to market and they sell their craft, and the Marxists were just.
Speaker 2: Like why do we care about these people, like why yeah, not workers, And it always seems like the better I don't know, whenever I was like presented with the basic analysis of like, Okay, we've got the proletariat who have terrible lives and factories, and then you have the lump and proletariat who refuse that kind of work and are like beggars and thieves and people doing work outside of the traditional system or whatever. And then you have the petty bourgeoisie who are like you know, own stores or artisans or whatever. And then you have the bourgeoisi over it. And this just always funny to me because I look at I'm like, well, clearly the only ones that would be worth being would be lump and proletariat or petty boogizzi, like they're the only ones who get to have any fun, Like yeah, you know.
Speaker 3: And I think like, like, this is a problem that that chooso sees. And I'm going to read part of U. Krupp's book about his solution to this, because I think it's really interesting. Given the failure of the available methods of class analysis to capture the subtleties of Japan's social structure, Hada developed a notion of the property list masses as an alternative concept of the proletariat. The property list masses was a wide ranching term which accompassed tenant farmers, small traders, officials, artisans, and even wage laborers. When they are prepared to forsake their preoccupation with narrowly defending advantages that accompany their urban lifestyle, and we're ready to throw in their lot with the other oppressed strata.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that makes sense. That's just the ninety nine percent, you know, it's the like or just the haves and have nots.
Speaker 3: It's like, okay, well it's it's kind of but but okay, there's there's a crucial difference here, which is that like, okay, so the other like the really big thing about the pure anarchists that they don't believe in.
Speaker 2: Class struggle, okay.
Speaker 3: And the reason why they don't believe in class struggle is that they think that, Okay. So they look at the history of the union movement, right, and it's like, okay, so has the union movement ended capitalism? It's like no, So like, well, okay, what does it actually do? And the answer is it gets people slightly more money out or capitalism, which is nice too, yeah, which which is nice, but it's also like shooso like adoptions to that. There's no other Japanese anarchists who who has this metaphor. It's like he compares it to like people fighting instead of like a bandit where it's like, okay, so if you have you have like fight, like the bosses of the bandit gang are obviously exploiting like the lower level people in the bandit gang. But you know, even if even if the lower level people in this bandit gang like take over, they're not actually going to stop being a bandit gang, right, It's just that the distribution of where the bandit gang wealth is going changes. And this is a big thing for for for the pianicists beause the pianarchists are you know, they they're looking at the industrial working classes like this is tiny and they're they're all exploding in the countryside mm hm. And so because of that, like they they look at this, they look at the union movement, and they look at it at like class struggle, like classical TM like class struggle, and they're like, well, this doesn't cause a revolution. All this does is just like sort of reorients like who's in power inside.
Speaker 2: Of what's what the Bolsheviks did, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but but it's it's not just what the bults, so they apply this to the Bolsheviks. But like it's also like there's analysis of what a union is is that you're like, class struggle is just defending your position at or capitalism, but you're also fighting very specifically narrowly for your class. Right, So if you're like a factory worker, right, you're fighting for you and the other factory workers. You're not fighting for like, I don't know, like a tenant farmer, you're not you're not even fighting from like for like the guy down the tree who bakes bread. It's like you're you know, the these these things that are like that are what they like instruments of class struggles, like your workers council, your union, your soviets. Like they don't actually get rid of class. It's just now another class has power, and it doesn't matter if it's sort of like this is what they're arguing. It is, like it doesn't matter if it's like democratic, it doesn't matter if it's like you know, like there's no difference in how the actual eventually the class and amas will play out it doesn't matter if it's like you know, like Lenin making like Stalin making himself dictator, or you have a bunch of democratic like Soviets, because they're both still intruents in class power. They're both sort of just going to reproduce this, this whole system. And yeah, and so they have this thing that they counterpose, which is like class struggle is just about what stuff is happening inside the system. But that's different revolution, which is like destroying this the system entirely. And this is where you get into his stuff about the division of labor, which is I think is really interesting because it I think this this sphere of pure anarchism got to a bunch of critiques of stuff that people have gotten to now, but they got to it in like nineteen twenty where okay, so choose those. Like one of his big things is that like the division of labor is inherently exploitative because it like it destroys sort of royal communal living and it replaces it with the centralization of expertise and a centralation of power. And he also thinks that like science is like a capitalist engine that's used to like create the division of labor. And then it's used to create like mechanization, and it's used to create like labor exploitation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that sounds like modern, a lot of like stuff that I read more modern.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, except this is like they're doing this in like like nineteen twenty seven.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you know it else is a capitalist and of exploitation products and service the podcast Industrial Complex.
Speaker 3: It's true, and we're back with more things that are exploitative and the well, no resolution theoretically theoretically not yes, yes, but we have we have to get through. We have to get through the last exploitative thing, which is I think I talked a bit about this earlier. But like the puranarchists argue that like cities inherently are this concentration of wealthy resources and power, and so like farmers and workers need to work together to destroy all forms of power, including cities. And this sounds a lot like primitivism.
Speaker 2: Yeah it does, although you know, they wouldn't necessarily be like wrapping the farmers.
Speaker 4: And I think I think primitives might be the wrong term, but it's definitely a lot of like the anti tech stuff.
Speaker 3: Well, it's it's interesting, Okay, So they have they have like they threat this needle where so like there are people in this period who want to just go back to pure rural grarianism and don't want their to technology, and the pure anarchists are like, no, we still want technology, but we don't want the division of labor.
Speaker 2: So they're like, we like our reaping machines so we don't have to work as much when we're farming. We just don't want everyone to live in apartments.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean even the reaping machine. I don't know, like it's kind of unclear to me how this is exactly supposed to work, because like we'll get into this. I guess we can just get into this now, which is like okay, so they really don't like the division of labor because they think the division of labor like well, okay, they have they have like there's like three critiques of it. One is that like when you have a division of labor, labor becomes like mechanized industrialized, and when that happens, labor gets reduced to just like a cog you put in a machine mm hm. And they see this is like this is like an inherent like thing that happens with labor specializations. You just end up like being a person who makes one repetitive move in a factory over and over again, like you're not free because of this. And they also argue that like specialization means that people only care about like the labor that they do, and so this gives you like an identity that that divides workers from one sector, like say, if you're if you're you know, you're like a coal miner, right, your daily experience is so utterly different than a baker. And it's not just like your experience, it's like it's like your knowledge is different. The other person is not gonna like the baker is not going to understand what you're doing. And you know, keep wanting to argue against this political position that I know, old. I keep trying to be like no, no, no, that misunderstands the nature of specialization at all.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: But then I'm like, all right, I can't go back and convince these people. Yeah, I think like I think, okay, this is I'm gonna I'm gonna go. I'm gonna uh put on my my my marks, my like weird left Coom Marx noise and go.
Speaker 3: But it's a critique, not a platform.
Speaker 2: It's not they they actually wanted as a platform, but like I think it would have been a great critique and not a very good platform.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the platform. Yeah, I mean I think I think there's there's there're interesting elements of it. Like they have this argument that like, okay, so if if you have your like your your syndicalists, like society right where Okay, so you have a bunch of like you have a bunch of like coal miners, you have a bunch of people who like make pots and pans, But you need to coordinate your labor, okay, because because you you have like specialization, you have branches of labor. And their argument is that, okay, so well the Synacus way you do this. You have coordinated committees, right, you like elect a person you like, send them to a coordinating council, and the coordinating council like coordinates stuff.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: And she's like, well, that's just gonna choose those like things like that's just gonna turn into a state, Like you going to create a permanent class even even if you rotate people, You're you're you're creating an administrative body that's going to like rebuild the state again.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I like okay, Like I'm making this like shrugging gesture that the audience get like yeah, I got you know, yeah I don't Okay.
Speaker 3: So, like I don't think he's right about like most of this, Like I think he's sort of wrong about like almost all of it. The thing the thing that stuck with me though when I read this is like his specific critique of syndicalism, which is that it maintains like the structure of the old world. Because if you're a cyndicalist and your your society is based on unions running their workplaces, then you've maintained the division of labor, but you've also maintained like the basic like geographic, physical, technological, and organizational structure of capitalism, like all of the like all of that stuff is still in the same place, and you're still sort of like going there to do your job. And I think they're they're is an interesting sort of like like I think there was a genuinely interesting critique there of yeah, like how how do you make sure that you aren't just sort of reproducing that stuff?
Speaker 2: And like like I mean, I don't know, like.
Speaker 3: The critique of why would you want to build a society like structured along the lines of production, like why like why do you want to structure your society around work?
Speaker 2: Like that's awful. I like that about the peer anarchists, where they were kind of like let's let's let's throw away the Marxist ship for a minute and like just actually like figure out what we want, and like I like that about it. I goes, but I dislike the idea of like, well, it's it's it would be my problem with syndicalism, and most of the syndicalists I met believe in syndicalism as a method and not an end result. Right, it's a way of building workers' power, not a way to create a society. But but if syndiclusts were like everyone must wake up and go to their work job and then make eight widgets, but it's collectively determined which widgets that you make, right, Like fuck that. But also if it was like everyone goes and wakes up and goes to their collective farm and maybe we use reaping machines and maybe we don't, And it's just like I get so unexcited by It's like one of the reasons that like a lot of the like nitpicky branches of anarchism. Don't they interest me? But I don't like subscribe to any of them. Is because I'm like, well, what if some people like this shit, some people like this shit, like you know, maybe they're gonna be fucking different. Imagine that we could have a plurality of economic models systems. But you know whatever, I'm now arguing with dead people who I probably would like this is interesting, Like, well, I don't know, because these guys, like.
Speaker 3: The they have like the Maoist thing going on, where like they will like attack other leftist groups who like don't like follow their line. And so this is where this whole thing is wild because so one of the other things is like the the pure anarchists are like completely convinced that syndicalism is like a sort of like well, they think it's it's just like it's not an anarchist thing. It's just like a tendency the labor movement. And they also think that like it's basically like a bastardized form of Marxism, because they're.
Speaker 2: Not like entirely wrong about either of those things. But yeah, except for a different places and times.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it's like the thing that the thing that they have about it, like because they're they're completely convinced that syndicalism will inevitably just like turn into like Soviet communism. It's like, yeah, it's incredibly silly, but like like this, you know, I like on the one hand, like they are kind of inventing a lot of the sort of like like they're they're inventing a lot of the sort of like some okay, some bad arguments about uh uh like specialization and stuff like and like some anti work stuff too that like it is going to be around later. Yeah, they're also inventing a lot of stuff that's like and you know, initially this kind of like new theory doesn't have this doesn't have an enormous effect. In nineteen twenty six, the the Federation of Black Youth or Cocada and has its first public meeting and they have a bunch of cool slogans. There's the slogan's role they have the emancipation of workers must be carried out by the workers themselves. We insist on libertarian federation, destroy the political movement, get rid of reject the prolitarian party, get rid of professional activists, down with all oppressive laws and ordinances that entirely based platform. Yeah, all right, sweet, all right, it's it's good. Yeah, and you know the other things. Despite the fact that it's called the Federation of Black Youth, this is like not a youth I mean, I mean there's like youth in it, but like it's it's this thing's backed by like remember those those printers unions that I was talking about last episode that aside Psychai you had like set up. So they're all heavily involved in this, and they do a bunch of cool labor stuff, Like they get involved in like, uh, there's a bunch of tram worker strikes to get involved in. They're in this, uh, the Japanese Musical instrument company strike, which is like there's like over a thousand people on strike for like over one hundred days, and there's there's this great split where like so the leadership of the union is Bolshevik, but like a bunch of the like a bunch of the ordinary people in the union are anarchists, and so you have that there's there's like there's this fun.
Speaker 2: Tention going around.
Speaker 3: They're they're they're they're doing the stuff. And then the anarchist form Zengoku geterrand which is the All Japanese Libertarian Federation of Labor Unions, which is a it's a federation of twenty five unions.
Speaker 2: Wait, these are the pure anarchists that you're talking about that are doing all this.
Speaker 3: Oh so sorry at this point, they they haven't split yet.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, because this sounds like all the stuff that they said that they don't want to do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well this is Look. The other the other wild thing about this is that like, okay, so the the entirety of like of like pur anarchist theory, right, is about how like unions don't do revolutions and class struggle, but like they still do strikes, like they still do all the normal stuff.
Speaker 2: It's kind of wild. Okay, I kind of like that, yeah, you know, and like and that that's sort of how they're able to get along in this early period. And these unions like, okay, so there's like a lot of printer's unions in this because the prince unions are just really anarchists. But there's there's like there's a tenant farmers union. There's a bunch of like rubber unions, and it grows to like fifteen thousand workers almost immediately, and yeah, they're doing a lot of cool stuff, like they have they have these huge demonstrations in support of socaqu and Vinzetti to the US is killing for being anarchists and also Italians just like yeah, the one time anti Italian racism was real and a hundred years ago, shit was real different than it is now and it doesn't.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah. And for for one year this like this works great, you know, like the Yeah, the Union's up to like I think they get up to like twenty thousand and thirty thousand members. It gets pretty big. But then nineteen twenty seven, intense conflict between the syndicalists and the pure anarchists breakout. This gets so bad so fast that like the International working Man's Association, which is the like like the giant international like Federation of Syndicalist Movements like sends them a letter that are like, hey, syndicalists and arco communists get along every literally everywhere else on earth. They're chill, you guys like chill and the Archer communists in Cocador. And their response is we are fighting quote the betrayer's opportunists and union imperialists in Zengoku Juran's ranks.
Speaker 2: It's amazing. This is why they can't have nice things. Yeah, it's great, it gets better, it gets better, so they always lose. Yeah, okay, Look in the nineteen twenty eight conference. So the Goka Juran which is the Union federation, like they have that, they have conference, they have the yearly conference that's in twenty eight, and there's just like giant battle over like what the organization's platform is going to be a thing that doesn't matter at all, except it's a proxy ideological fight, and both sides just start screaming at each other. And I'm going to read this description from Hanotchriso and Puranicism into Ward Japan. Uh huh.
Speaker 3: Coca Crau and members barricaded the barrack to the anarchists sindicalists jeering a cat calling them, and the proceedings degenerated to the level where it was almost impossible to hear the speeches. Eventually, the anarcho syndicalists decided they had had enough. Unflurling their black flags, they walked out of the hall to a chorus of taunts such as believers blind, believers in Central Authority, Bolsheviks and betrayers.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, got over yourself.
Speaker 4: Oh my.
Speaker 3: No, okay, to be fair to the pure anarchists, one of okay, a bunch of the Cynicalis unions start leaving, and one of them does actually joined the Bolsheviks, but like all the other ones don't because they're not. And you get this period that there's like they have like the Cyndicalists and that the Perianarchists of dueling magazines, this one called Black Flag, this one called Black Battle, and like so Cocuran, which is like the youth u mid thing, like the Cyneicalis and the anarchists are still in it together, and they like they start just like fighting each other in the street when they run into each other, because.
Speaker 2: The the this is more depressing than everyone's getting murdered after the earthquake, not the geniside incredible anarchists killing part. Yeah, I mean, yeah, yeah, it's it's like it's incredible, you know, and like yeah they What's interesting about this though, is that like the inercal Communists, like when the union splits, like almost all of the people stay with the arcical Communists, even though the NCER Communists are like explicitly saying we're not fighting for like wage increases, we're just fighting for revolution, which fine, I'm all right with that. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, but there's interesting stuff to where like they're also so because they have this thing that's like, okay, so the urban workers are like exploiting the well, okay, the line about it is complicated because it's like they think the urban workers are exploiting the countryside, but they also don't think that the solution to it is to just like turn it the other way around. They think that like the workers and the tenant farmers just work together to like make the oppression go away, which is like a reasonable stance on it. Yeah, but it means that you know, they're interested in, like they're interested in the rural movement in a way that like the other Japanese left stoopings aren't. But unfortunately, you know, Okay, there's a big debate as to whether this split like actually like like how big a role this split had in the collapse of anarchism because like by by by, like by like nineteen thirty one, like the fascists have just straight up taken over Manchuria. Like I think things have gotten so fascist that it's like it's unclear whether the split mattered at all.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, but you know, they run into this problem where like like cokerne.
Speaker 3: Like the state really hates them, and they all a bunch of them get arrested and they you know, they respond to being arrested by like getting more militant. But then that just you know, that feels a cycle of them getting arrested for and people just leave because they're like, well, okay, if I'm in this organization, like we're all just gonna like get shot.
Speaker 2: I mean that's the Clendestiny spiral. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you know, it's a real problem, and like how to shoose to himself becomes just like incredibly depressed by the depression of the movement, and but nineteen thirty two, he just leaves like he's just out. He like renounces his anarchism. He abuses his wife because this is the story of a bunch of guys who sucked. And then he drinks himself to death.
Speaker 2: Evers. Yeah, yeah, well I guess okay he did it to him. He yeah, he drinks it all the death. He got it done on his own.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you know, so he he he he dies and he like kills himself. Well I don't think he was doing it on a purpose, but he just, yeah, dies from drinking too much. In nineteen thirty four, and that year actually the arco Communists narcos cendiclus like get back together. But it doesn't matter because by this point the fascists are just sort different power. And yeah, the anarchists they do, they do one last whirl uprising, okay, and they fight a lot of cops and then all of them get arrested and anarchism just sort of dies until the end of World War two, okay, And yeah it's you know, okay, anarchism does re emerge after the war, but that's like that, that's a whole another story entirely. What I will say about is if you see those those construction hats from the nineteen sixty eight protests, and you see one that's just all black, it doesn't have like a name written on it, like those are the anarchists.
Speaker 1: Cool?
Speaker 3: This still around and you know, anachistm Japan like survives to this day. There's a book called the Manual for a Worldwide for a worldwide Manuque revolts that like one day I swear to God, I'm actually going to read. But is really big in China. Well, okay, I said really big in China. It's very influential in a very small subcultural anarchist scene in China. But I'm talking about them because it heavily influenced. Like the people who wrote the Lying Flat Manifesto, We're like, we're very heavily influenced by this stuff. Oh okay, Okay, So we did the episode about this a while back, but Lying Flat was this thing in China, I guess a little going on, but like people were just like, it's kind of it was kind of the version of anti work or a lot of people like discovered diogenies and were like, what if I just didn't work all right? What if I just like lived on, like I worked like one day a month and then lived on like nothing so I didn't have to work, Or if I just quit. What if I just like stop doing all of this capitalist stuff, and what if I like stop having to deal with this patriarchy, and what if I just like, you know, yeah, and it takes kind of like yeah, yeah, they're they're great. They had lots of fun diogenies quotes, lots of like the manifesto they released is like very it's like very anarchist and yeah, like that whole thing. And that was like like this, this is a big enough social movement that like like Xi Jinping like mentioned it in a speech, okay, and so yeah, like Jeffi's anechism to the.
Speaker 4: State, Yeah, a big deal for them. They were like, hadn't kind of concerned about it. Yeah, this is the same way a whole bunch of like oligarchs got concerned about the anti work stuff. You saw like anti work hit pieces in the past like six months. It was, Yeah, it's like similar things being like, well, this better not catch on more because that could really suck for us.
Speaker 3: That's as optimistic of a note as you could possibly get out of the story, which is that they're still around and they still influenced things that matter, so.
Speaker 2: And hopefully they don't fight each other more than the state.
Speaker 3: Yeah, don't don't do that, Like I like, yes, I guess I will make my controversial sometimes it's okay to stab it a user inder the throat stance, but also don't purge all your syndicalists because on the accusation of Bolshevism, hot take, don't purge all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, don't systematize violence like that. You know, you're like, this individual guy just did this thing, and I'm real upset that he just did it to me, and there's like a throat. I'm not actually making an actual advocacy. I'm talking about how sometimes when that has happened in history, that seemed kind of cool. But yeah, the not the systemic kick out all the people who have this minor I mean, it's really funny to me because I'm like, I'm like huge anti infighting, and then people are like, don't you spend all your time fighting tankies on the internet, And I'm like, they want to make a state. That's different. Yeah, they believe that they everyone should be thrown in jail. That is a different thing. Also, I don't like, you've got to manage to polycule drama. Like you gotta manage it's got to be kept under control. You cannot allow your retire scene to be factionalized over rival polydools and.
Speaker 4: Anarchists control your polycole drama. Quotations and parctesis impossible.
Speaker 2: See, that's why you just need more. No, maybe it's not true. It's like you need more multi generational anarchists, because I think people in their forties give less of a shit about a lot of the trauma. But then I'm like, maybe that's not true. Maybe people on their forties kept just as much of a shit about all the trauma.
Speaker 3: Anarchism wonderful idea.
Speaker 4: Yep, yeah, that's it.
Speaker 3: It's good.
Speaker 1: And speaking of wonderful ideas, it is timed for us to do the plugs.
Speaker 4: First.
Speaker 1: I just want to plug Jamie Loftus's new kool Zone Media podcast, Ghost Church by Jamie Loftus. By the time this drops, episode one will be out and episode.
Speaker 4: Two will be dropping with the next Monday, I believe.
Speaker 1: Yes exactly. And we also have another podcast on Kolzon Media with one Margaret Kiljoy called Cool People Who Did Cool Stuff? Margaret, you want to tell us about that?
Speaker 2: Oh, shoul? Should I start working on that. I'll get it done by Monday.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, cool.
Speaker 2: I have a new podcast called Cool People Who Did Cool Stuff, which is about cool people who did cool stuff, and you might like it if you like stories about people who I can't say cool stuff again, I'll have to use come up with more synonyms. Really, it's just all a competition to see how many synonyms for cool I can come up with without using the word based, because I feel like I'm too old to use the word based without Really, this is what you are here for. So I'm much more eloquent on my podcast, which you can catch every Monday and Wednesday wherever you get your podcasts. Probably wherever you got this podcast is where you can find it. And the trailer is out now, so you can go and you can listen to the trailer where I talk about some anarchist bank robbers who broke out of prison, because why would you be in prison when you could be outside of prison, which is generally the preferable position to be in, with the exception of like every now and then, like people break out of jail by like someone goes to jail on purpose, but they have like hacksaw blades in their shoes and shit, that would be cool too. So more breaking your friends out of jail and less chasing them out of the room jeering at them is my general rule. I hate to make rules, but if I were to make one, it would be that. And you can hear me talk about those kinds of stories on the podcast.
Speaker 4: Well, thank you so much for joining joining us today. Uh for for Chris to talk about the wonderful, wonderful history of Japanese Sandaris and the many and the many deaths that are associated in those poor people and yeah, the like so basically like a like a mini Korean genocide. Yeah, yeah, intense. Well that does it for us today. You can find us on Twitter, Instagram, what Happened to your pot and cool Zone Media. Uh see you next week.
Speaker 3: And go listen to podcasts.
Speaker 2: We have many of them.
Speaker 1: Wow it could happen here as a production of cool Zone Media. For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website cool Zonemedia dot com or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts. You can find