Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio hour.
Speaker 2: One on this Thursday.
Speaker 3: Complete Hour two could be incomplete, but come on in, stay a while, have a poll question update from the first hour of the program. Christopher mad Dog Russo will join us as well. Phone calls eight seven to seven three. DP Show email address DP at Danpatrick dot com Twitter handle the DP Show. Also the Big Unit. Randy Johnson, who wants won four consecutive cy Young Awards in the history of awards. I mean, that's a long stretch to win the same award, and it's and it's a big award, It's it's the most important award a pitcher can win. But in all of sports MVPs, how many times do you have somebody win four consecutive awards like that? Now? I think Greg Maddox won four consecutive cy youngs, one with Chicago and then three with Atlanta, but win four in a row normally, and as a voter former voter in the NBA, you are looking for a reason to vote for somebody else. You're like, Ah, that guy's won it the last couple of times, let's vote for somebody else. He was so good that even if they tried to bring in somebody else as a candidate that Randy Johnson won four consecutive cy Youngs. It just doesn't happen that often where you see somebody at that kind of level and maintain that level, and then the voters continued to vote for him.
Speaker 4: Yes, Pauline, Randy Johnson got his first cy Young in ninety five at age thirty one. Then he had a couple of nice years, but then at age thirty five, thirty six, thirty seven, thirty eight, he won four in a row. Maddox had four in a row, like you said, Roger Clemens has seven and he won them in three different decades.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yike, Yeah, I've been under a cloud of suspicion there.
Speaker 4: Randy Johnson actually started his career his first year in the pros. He was seven and thirteen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was seven feet thirteen inches too. You know, we had never seen anybody that height, you know, six ' ten. But you're delivering the ball, so sixty feet six inches. But by the time he winds up he delivers, he's thrown that ball at fifty feet and just and here's another thing, and I want to ask him about this. It used to be a big deal where you brought in a lefty to face a lefty? Okay, aren't we past that that? You know, like, we don't go, oh, it's a right hander against a right hander. And I know that we grow up and you know there's more familiarity facing a right handed pitcher. But aren't we to the point where we don't go, boy, lefty on lefty? Haven't we advanced enough where a left handed hitter doesn't go, oh, my god, it's a left handed pitcher. I got to ask him about that. Yes, is it possible?
Speaker 4: Randy Johnson's all time underrated because of him? Is we talk about his height and the bird and the pitching with the john Crux stuff he had. He led the league in strikeouts I got nine times. And he did it at age forty and age twenty eight, and like you said, zero cloud of suspicion, but he.
Speaker 2: Won the cy young.
Speaker 3: He led the American League in strikeouts four consecutive years. He just learned how to pitch later in his career because when he was in Montreal, it was he was nuke lelouche. If you're you know, a fan of Bull Durham. He could throw hard. He just didn't know where he was throwing it, but to learn how to pitch. And the fact that you would have guys who would openly talk about not wanting to face Randy Johnson. You know, guys would you know, privately probably say I don't want to face that guy.
Speaker 2: I'm not feeling that good today.
Speaker 3: Randy Johnson was so scary that you had guys who openly admitted they did not want to face Randy Johnson.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 3: Stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of The Dan Patrick Show. Football coming up tonight, Vikings at the Rams. As I've spoken about the last two days, I think there's a lot more riding on this game for the Rams than just a victory or a loss. Are you going to be sellers if you lose this game? The Vikings are favored by two and a half. Also, Syracuse in Pitt is Pitt undefeated?
Speaker 2: Yeah wow with those uniforms.
Speaker 3: Yeah, then you got NBA full slate of NBA openers and load management is already an issue. I'm not sure why the seventy six ers and Joe Ellenbiid said, hey, he's not going to play back to back games.
Speaker 2: The NBA is looking into that.
Speaker 3: You want to have availability, like you can't lose the trust of your audience where they go who's playing?
Speaker 2: Wait are they going to be playing?
Speaker 3: We brought this up six years ago and I think some places have used this, and that is a star player insurance, Like there should be insurance with your tickets. If you're going to buy let's say you're buying Nick tickets and Lebron's coming to town and that's a Christmas gift, then all of a sudden Lebron's not going to play, then there should be some There should be an opportunity for you to get your money back or get a credit for another game. You can go to that game and we'll give you credit for another game. Whatever it is, just because you know the audience, the fans want to know who's playing. Kawhy's not going to play for who knows how many games, so you know that. Here's Joe Ellenbiid. He didn't play in the opener, so it's not even a back to back. I mean, did they have a preseason game that he played in and then he like, you're not available for the opener? Are you going to be available for the next game because you didn't play in the last game, and here is one of the top five, top seven players in the game. And yes, I did propose this. I know that there were players who were not happy with me when I proposed it to the commissioner on the show, I said, you have to have first. Thing I said is no more positions for all NBA. That's not fair. And I called it the Rudy Gobert rule because Rudy Gobert is not one of the top fifteen players in the game. He shouldn't be first team All NBA because you got to have a center. I said to the commissioner, that's silly. And the commissioner did change that. Now, maybe I had a role in it, maybe I didn't. I did tell him you have to have a certain number of games that you must play to qualify for these awards, sixty five games. That means you're going to miss seventeen games. All right, it's not an unheard of total, but I want the best players to be on display.
Speaker 2: I mean, the.
Speaker 3: NFL has seventeen games. You know, unless they're injured, you're seeing your star players. Baseball, it's one hundred and sixty two It used to be a big deal when somebody would say, oh, uh, we're gonna give him a day off, like they'd even announce it. We're gonna give such a Johnny Bench has caught seven games in a row.
Speaker 2: We're gonna give him a day off.
Speaker 3: But he's gonna play first base in the NBA, Like I'm are you surprised. I'm never surprised when somebody said, oh, you know, a healthy scratch.
Speaker 2: You know we're gonna give him a day off.
Speaker 3: But it's still you want to have availability, you want to have the audience has to have trust in your product. And this is a real issue for Adam Silver. But there's so much money at stake for the all NBA that I mean, you've got to tough it out. There are times when you maybe don't want to play. You're banged up a little bit, Okay, like you know back in the day you played.
Speaker 2: Now it's like I don't have to what's the owner going to do?
Speaker 3: Like does Philadelphia pay Joe ellenbid half his salary? Is he taking a salary cut because of this? And I know he's had all of these injuries. Okay, now you're gonna play half the games yeah, Mart.
Speaker 5: And I think for other teams, like say, if you're Detroit Ortlanta, that might not sell out a lot. If the Lakers are coming to town, you're like, hey, at least we know we'll get one sellout this year. And then you hear Lebron's not playing, like, yeah, god, we were depending on that. That's like when Michael Jordan would go to Vancouver one time of year, he knew how important he was. He knew that place was gonna sell it because he was there. And so if it's if I'm one of those players, like you got to kind of think about the away audience too, because it's one time a year where they go across country to see you.
Speaker 3: And I always gave credit to Jordan because Jordan understood that they're coming to see him. And he even talked about how he'd get dressed up when he would walk into the lobby in a hotel. He always wanted to look great because he said that that might be the only time you get to see him. He understood it. Now, not everybody does. Not everybody nobody else is wired the way Mike was, but he did understand playing and wanting to play. I could never be a healthy scratch. I just there's no way I could just sit there and watch a game. I just that'd be death. But having these players and I know, okay, modern travel, like the finest facilities, trainers, all of this stuff, and they play less than the guys who had to fly commercial. The guys who didn't have these luxuries. Now they might say, we didn't really have an option. Okay, they've taken advantage of a loophole here, and it's unfortunate because the regular season does not matter. There'll be games, matchups that you go, oh, I want to watch that one, but it's not must see TV because you don't know if somebody's going to play or not.
Speaker 6: Yes, yeah, it feels like it's the It goes against the competitive spirit that you have to have as an elite athlete, is to be able to sit and say I'm just going to take tonight off, even though I know it's a business.
Speaker 2: I know there's, like.
Speaker 6: You said, all the travel and everything, but it feels like you can't get to that same height without having this crazy competitive side to you. And then all of a sudden that just evaporates for a day because you're like, ah.
Speaker 2: I'm just not going to do it today.
Speaker 3: But the NBA has made the season longer, so you have more rest days in between games. Right, they haven't added to their schedule. It's still eighty two games. I mean, the NFL was going to add yet another game to the most violent sport. Baseball's still been one sixty two. There was talking maybe one fifty four, bringing it back to what it used to be. But I just you know, having that insurance ticket insurance I think is important, and you know, hopefully the league embraces that where you at least allow the fan to have some kind of insurance if a star player. But I don't know where the cutoff is on who is this star player and who's not, because if Chris Middleton doesn't play for the Bucks, I'm sorry, you don't get your money back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, pulling.
Speaker 4: There are a couple of different ticket portals that do this. Probably the best one that I've seen is called fan Sure, and you pick a game you're going to and you're buying the tickets through them, and you could protect your ticket up to one hundred percent of the value. So let's say you've got a seventy six ers ticket and you walk in that day, and you've insured it for just a couple bucks extra. It's like a service fee. For one you could still attend the game. But if you walk in and it's announced Joel Embiid is a scratch, you get one hundred percent of your ticket price back, not the fee, and then you get to still watch the game. They also have a list of players you could buy Protection four and it's probably I would say the thirty five forty best players.
Speaker 2: Oh, okay, that many, Yeah, it's it's.
Speaker 4: I'm looking at probably about thirty five.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Seaton.
Speaker 6: I know I'm going to sound super naive with all this, or maybe just like an idiot, but but part of the problem with everything that we're talking about with load management and all this stuff is that going to games is just too damn expensive. It's way too much money. And if I paid fifty bucks for a ticket and Lebron didn't show up, you're like, ah, man, that stinks, But I gotta pay two hundred and fifty dollars for a ticket now, it's like it's my whole day.
Speaker 2: The parking is seventy five dollars and everything.
Speaker 6: It's way too expensive and you're only drawing from the same group of people that can actually afford to go. Rather, you're pricing out most of the population on almost every major league sport, I could.
Speaker 3: Buy an eighty inch flat screen for what it would cost for me to take four people to the game easily, like park Easily, I could get an eighty inch flat screen instead of going to the game.
Speaker 2: And those are bad seats. Yes, Ton, the TV would even less.
Speaker 7: These days, TVs are really cheap. You probably a cheaper to get the TV and to do that, thank you to What other customer transaction exist besides sports and entertainment, like a Broadway show star that's sick and can't perform that night, where we the customer accept something like that. If you have to pay in advance to go to a restaurant or pick up a certain product, and then when you get there they're like, oh, we don't have that, that's his the second, third, or fourth best thing. It's like, no, I paid for that, and they're not going to give you any money back. You just have to accept whatever's left in the store.
Speaker 2: So I'm sorry, what's your point? So why do we accept this as fans?
Speaker 7: There's no other line of work or a transaction where Oh yeah, I guess that's the way it goes. I spent all that money and Lebron's not playing.
Speaker 2: Oh well, okay, I looked it up.
Speaker 4: If you go to a Broadway play and the understudy is in it, you do not get any discount on your ticket or your ticket back.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: If you go on United Airlines and the backup pilot is there that day.
Speaker 2: You don't get it. How do you know the backup pilot?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 2: You could tell.
Speaker 3: How many times have you gone into a really nice restaurant and you say, is uh is David Chang here?
Speaker 7: But the or wanted you to pay in advance because you really like the chicken?
Speaker 3: His arm is chef George here? When's the last time you ask is the chef there?
Speaker 2: George?
Speaker 6: When's the last time you went to a restaurant where you actually knew who the chef was?
Speaker 2: I've done that. I know you do that. I do that. Yes, I've done that. I've done that. Yeah, But I don't walk in and say.
Speaker 3: To the major d is chef George?
Speaker 6: Where do you want to go tonight David's place?
Speaker 2: Or I don't know, Maybe we'll just stick with George.
Speaker 6: Yeah, George, Yes, yes, I got us the table.
Speaker 7: To the backup pilot point. Wouldn't you be a little concerned or upset or nervous if someone Hi, this is Brian, I'm the backup pilot announced that.
Speaker 2: I should definitely not announce that.
Speaker 7: I don't want to hear that.
Speaker 2: Well, wait a minute, you just said that.
Speaker 3: You don't you know, you shouldn't be paying that price if you have the backup.
Speaker 2: Do you want to know what the backup pilot is? Take king over.
Speaker 7: I don't want to hear somebody saying, Hey, we're flying at thirty thousand feet.
Speaker 5: I'm Doug.
Speaker 7: By the way, I'm killing it at the last minute. Joe is usually does this flight is not here.
Speaker 2: But if Doug's there, he must be a good pilot. But he's a backup because but he's there.
Speaker 6: But to Dan's point, you didn't choose that flight because Doug was flying.
Speaker 2: And now you're like, oh, Correc Dougs out here the.
Speaker 4: Three fifteen on United, Doug's flying.
Speaker 2: Oh, let's good that.
Speaker 3: They should give us rosters of the pilots, like there should be YELP reviews. There should be like Jimmy Lpper six four two twenty five former decathlete at Oregon. Uh he is has flown X number of flights, Shaky on landing, really good on takeoff, and he's always on time. Yet to be drunk yet Sailoa to Jimmy Lipper, you're pilot, you can have you can have the program.
Speaker 2: Who do we have? Who do we have? Hunt? We have Jimmy skun yield, Jimmy scunjeal no worse landing?
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, turbulence turbulence.
Speaker 7: What happens when the flight attendant pronounces it Desmonet is if they can't even pronounce the name right the staff of where you're going.
Speaker 2: That's good. That was a flight attendant still.
Speaker 7: Though, come on, the staff's got to know where you got I know.
Speaker 3: But it didn't affect me when I go, oh my god, she doesn't know how to pronounce.
Speaker 2: He's going down for sure. And she said it so confidently.
Speaker 3: We will be stopping in Chicago and then we will be in route to des Monette, and Paulie and I are right next to her, and I wanted to say it's the Moin, it's de Moin, but she was so it was like, and then we'll be going to des Monett.
Speaker 4: I talked to you out of it because it was a great bit.
Speaker 3: I know, I go, I gotta say something, and then Paul goes, no, no, no, just leave it, just leave it all right, Mad Dog Russo will join It's next. We're back after this Dan Patrick show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Fox sports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen, live seat and update the poll results. We got a bunch of them working right now. Okay, let's see.
Speaker 6: Would you cheer or boo a lot louder at a game simply to win a free sandwich.
Speaker 2: Like the Clippers did last night?
Speaker 6: Yes, anything for free or no, it's not really important to me.
Speaker 2: This is from.
Speaker 6: Todd right now. Yes, anything for free is winning. It has about fifty seven percent of the vote.
Speaker 3: I just don't like when they have to coax the audience, the fans to cheer, like get up, you know, louder whatever they put up on the jumbo tron. But if you missed two consecutive free throws at the Clippers home games, like Durant did last night, you everybody gets Chick fil a.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it does kind of bug me when it's like, look at this organic fan atmosphere and everyone's holding up the same chicken sign. Yes, yes, we're here because we love the team.
Speaker 4: I disagree. I think they should go even deeper on this one. Like the T shirt gun. They should had the Chick fil a Chicken sandwich gun. Oh you just shooting chicken sandwiches into the crowd, Pickles and sauce all over.
Speaker 2: Let's go.
Speaker 3: Christopher mad Dog Russo, host of mad Dog Unleashed on Serious XM Channel eighty two, also brings the high heat on MLB Network and contributor to First Take on the ESPN. You gotta love this world series. This is right up your alley. This is old school. You're going to get the entire Dodger infield probably on the show.
Speaker 9: Ron say good morning Danny.
Speaker 10: Ron.
Speaker 2: Wait, wait, did you give any thought to your hair today?
Speaker 9: I know I didn't. I know that time.
Speaker 2: I wait, but your wife helps you, doesn't she?
Speaker 9: You know she's away right now.
Speaker 8: My children on the West Coast, so I don't have and I can't ask my daughter Kira to do my makeup. So osre's ot. I came up here and I know that you guys put it up last time. I look, I can, but I mean, I figured out what the heck for you. I just want to come on and chat. I did have Ron say on yesterday at the top of the show, and you know, partly Fernando who passed away, and partly because of those Yankee Dodgers series, and he was still very aggravated when Reggie Jackson stuck out his hip. You remember that in game four of the seventy eight World Series had changed the whole game. Dodgers were up two games to one at the time they ended up losing in six games.
Speaker 9: It was still ticked off by that.
Speaker 8: But you know the amazing thing about this World Series when you think about it, damn, there's two things. One, you know, they've been in the playoffs, these two franchises before this year twelve times at the same time together and this is the first time in thirteen they both made the World Series, which I find interesting since nineteen eighty one, and I find that interesting. And the second thing that's interesting here Edmonton, when I lost to Florida, what are you gonna do? They had a great year, Dallas when I lost the Celtics way you're gonna do.
Speaker 9: They had a great year.
Speaker 8: You know, most of the time, if you get to a Super Bowl, you get to an NBA Final, you get to a World Series. The Mets had a great year, the Guardians had a good year. Not the case in this World Series the loser because of their payroll, Because of the fact the Yankees have a won in fifteen years, the Dodgers only won that pandemic in forty years. You can make the argument the loser year is going to be bitterly disappointed. So I think that makes for a fascinating World Series. And I also think it's very close. You can make a case of the Dodgers. You can make a case of the Yankees. I don't think there's a prohibited favorite in this World Series, so they should have length and drama.
Speaker 3: We had the commissioner on yesterday and I said he deserved a victory. Lamp I think baseball had a really good year. If you look at how we were starting the year with Otani, with the gambling situation, and then you end up with Dodgers Yankees in the World Series, how would you rank the season that Baseball had excellent?
Speaker 9: Point? You know, they had drama, late in the year with the wild card.
Speaker 8: You know, Otani has their record woman's year judge, it's fifty something home runs. They would never admit it, but Yankees and Dodgers is better than Guardians and Mets. So from that standpoint, they got drama there. You know, they had a very good performance at the rick Wood Stadium when Willie Mays passed away with the game down there in Alabama where Willie played, So that turned out. Do they do a great job at that field, the Dreams and you know the Williams Port games. You know they do an excellent job of that. I agree with you, Danny, and I think you're the expert with this. Last year the World Series with Arizona and Texas, they didn't do that well. You know, nine to ten million the average. I would think this World Series, if it goes length deep, I got to figure what fifteen.
Speaker 9: Eighteen million on the average.
Speaker 8: You would be the better rate judge of that because you know the ratings game better than I do.
Speaker 2: What your thoughts.
Speaker 3: I hope that you're approaching fifteen million. I hope that that's sort of where we start. You can't ask for a better matchup because you have you know you have Otani, you have the Dodgers, you have the Yankees, and you have a judge. And you know this is worldwide too when you bring in Otani, now it's worldwide. Now. I know you don't get credit for those ratings in Japan, but this will be a monstrous rating as well. But it's good for baseball that moreyes are on this. I think there's a younger demo watching. I think the game now it's sped up. Now there's movement, Stolen bases are back. It just feels like there's a lot of momentum there. And I know we're going to go to the automatic balls and strikes here, and the commissioner said that in the next four years we're going to have some version of that. I don't And he even said, you got to get past the first month when you have changed, whether it's the size of the bases or the pitch clock. Once you get past the first thirty day, nobody brought up the pitch clock, nobody's brought up base none of that. Nobody Now we accept and I think the big key, the big jump, is going to be automatic balls and strikes over the next couple of years.
Speaker 8: Be interesting if they do a challenge system with that, or if they actually have the automated scenario that.
Speaker 3: I think he talked about, there would be a challenge scenario attached to this.
Speaker 9: Yeah, so I mean that will be interesting.
Speaker 8: And I know, listen, I don't love that, But okay, they want to go use technology for it, let them do it.
Speaker 3: But you're a tennis fan, Chris, you want to get the calls right. They've mastered it. That's I mean, can you like it in tennis and not like it in baseball?
Speaker 9: Fair point? The fair point. I guess you could make that argument.
Speaker 8: I mean, in tennis, you also can make an argument that a line call is much more significant than it would be a ball and strike call on a second inning.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 8: I mean you can make that argument that the decision with line calls from a three or a five set match are more important than a ball and strike call in a bottom of the third.
Speaker 9: So that's the argument I would make.
Speaker 8: And I also don't want to huge delay, but I understand that I do like the human element. See, the other thing is there is an apple, there's a there's a there's some charm to the umpire with balls and strikes. There's no charm to a lines person making a call. So I think that so I'm not in love with it. But listen, I can't argue with the scenario, with the situation with the pitch, with the pitch clock, and it moved quick on everything else. But I think a very very good World Series. I think the big edge the yankeesaff Danny is they got a better starting rotation. Yeah, I mean, I got five or six pitchers. The Dodgers don't really have that. Dodgers have other advantages, but the Yankee advantage in the rotation, to me, gives them a little ledge. Now I could not I would not be shocked if the Dodgers won. Here's the thing I would be shocked at. I would be very surprised if this goes in less than six games. I can there's going to be a ball game a week from Friday night, Game six at Dodgers Stadium.
Speaker 9: Somebody's up three to two. I would say that.
Speaker 3: We're talking to Christopher mad Dog Russo you were doing high heat yesterday on MLB I think yesterday this week, and you had Brian Cashman on the Yankee GM. I'm going to play your question and then here's his answer.
Speaker 8: Give me your thoughts here fun of getting back and winning a pennant after a fifteen year I don't want to say drought.
Speaker 2: That's not fair.
Speaker 9: But you want to say what I'm saying with the gap? How about winning a pennant?
Speaker 2: How does that mean to you?
Speaker 9: It means a lot.
Speaker 2: And I hate the fifteen year thing because it doesn't.
Speaker 11: It completely forgets some discounts that some other organization cheated us when we were all the way in the end. You know, if you knew what was going on, I don't think they would be a dancing at that during that time thing. I think we would have been advancing. So I hate that fifteen year thing because I don't think it accurately reflects history.
Speaker 2: Okay, is Brian being fair to the word cheating?
Speaker 8: Always nuts? First off, Brian's forgetting two other about four things. The Astros beat the Yankees in twenty and fifteen. The Astros beat the Yankees in two and nineteen. The Astros beat the Yankees in two thousand and and then they beat him again two years ago in four straight games. So the Astros eliminated the Yankees in three other rounds in three other years number two. If you be fair about it, what did the Yankees hit in that series against Houston? They hit about one sixty. What did the Yankees hit with runners in scoring position in that well in that seven game series, they hit about one eighty five. I understand he's frustrated. I understand that. You know, maybe there was a scenario where the Yankees, you know, you can I know the Astros shooting is a is a joke and they should have been punished as they were.
Speaker 9: But remember in Game seven, the Yankees pitched C. C. Sabbathia.
Speaker 8: I mean he was old and he was shot at that point of Hall of Famer, So I mean, it's not like the Yankees pitched you know, Whitey Ford.
Speaker 9: And for someone god the reason, he gave up eight runs in the first in it.
Speaker 8: I know the Yankees feel that way. I know the Dodgers feel that way. The Dodgers in the World Series lost that year in seven games. They had Dodgers lost two games at home that year in a World Series at the Astros cheat in Dodger Stadium, the add Fields. Also that year in a World Series in Game two they trailed and they buried Jansen in the ninth inning to win the game.
Speaker 9: So well did the Astros cheat when he happened when the Dodgers had a blown safe. I understand Bryan's frust. Jason, he's a great general manager.
Speaker 8: I think that's a little unfair to pin the seventeen loss on the idea that the Yankees were jobbed. When the Yankees in that World Series in Houston hit one fifty, they hit one fifty to twenty runs in four games, they lost two nothing to one.
Speaker 9: Erlander beat him.
Speaker 8: So I think it's a little misleading when the Yankees bring that up and it's still sore as you can say, the Yankees are still ticked off about the seventeen World Series, about the seventeen ALCS.
Speaker 3: I didn't see this that I read it where you kind of dismissed the brownni Ron James concocted scratch, what.
Speaker 9: A waste of time that is? Yes, I think that's so stupid.
Speaker 8: That is so dan, that is so artificial, that is so I mean, come on, he had one rebound in three minutes.
Speaker 9: He's going to be in the G League in about a week. You know, they listen.
Speaker 8: Lebron is a wonderful player, and I understand that Lakers are trying to make sure that he is motivated and he's galvanized, and it meant something to him.
Speaker 9: So I understand that. But I walk around town all the time.
Speaker 8: I did not have one person tell me, wow, did you see that Bronni played with Lebron last night? The American sports fan could care less. Let's be fair and don't compare it to Griffy. I looked it up when Ken Griffy played with his son with Seattle. You know, he hit three to zero six that year, and he and one year and then another year he had a three eighty batting average. Griffy could still hit when he was forty one years of age. Bronn, he's not an NBA player right now. The Lakers did this to pass by Lebron, which I understand. He's the second greatest player of all time. It meant something to him. Okay, but don't try to convince the American sports fan that this is a big deal that Lebron played with his kid and it's the first effort, because I think it's fake.
Speaker 9: That's my take. I know a lot of people disagree. That's my take.
Speaker 3: Okay, your son's just starting out in the business. He doesn't warrant being on a big stage. But let's say you say to management, I'd like to do a radio show with my son on Sirius XCM.
Speaker 9: Well, I wouldn't say that, but I understand what your point is.
Speaker 8: I wouldn't say that because these jobs are very difficult to get and I think that that advantage of him wouldn't be be unfair.
Speaker 9: So I would not tell. You know, bosses, hey, do me a favor.
Speaker 8: Make sure Colin Russo gets on serious and does a once a week show with me. I swear to God, you can tell anybody that in West Palm, I wouldn't say that. Okay, And I'll say this, and I'll say this right now. Well, I won't say that because that will get.
Speaker 2: Me in trouble. Your wife's out of town, you can't get in I say it.
Speaker 9: I'll say it.
Speaker 8: Colin Well, on a radio perspective, he is better at what he does right.
Speaker 9: Now then Bronnie is what he does?
Speaker 2: Has that.
Speaker 9: I'll say that all sorts of confidence.
Speaker 8: Okay, I just think to me it was You don't think that was a little artificial, Yes.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, the whole draft was artificial.
Speaker 3: Okay, so you are yeah, yeah, but I still think it was pretty cool that they were able to pull this off. Now, Bronnie is a g lead player, and but this is this was just a Lebron If it keeps Lebron engaged, Chris, yeah, I understand he's one of the top ten players in the game at age twenty, yes, twenty two years in that it means that he's going to be excited still playing. If I'm a Laker fan or the end, like, I want Lebron still in the game playing at a very high level at some point, excellent point, and Bronnie should go. This is what I think is going to happen. Bronnie's twelfth man. He got in, he'll get seasoned in the G the G League, and then they'll bringing up probably for the Christmas Day game. Like I think they'll pick spots to bring him up, let him play a little bit, and then send him back down.
Speaker 2: That's what I would hope.
Speaker 3: I Dalton connect is the rookie that we should be talking about.
Speaker 9: And he's good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, James, I agree.
Speaker 8: So for your point is you're okay with it because it's good for Lebron, and what's good for Lebron is good for the game, which means is good for us.
Speaker 9: That's where you come down on this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because he didn't play that long, I think it was all right, we'll put him in. It's kind of a like a ceremonial first pitch.
Speaker 8: Well, don't make it historical. Then don't say wow, this is the first one.
Speaker 2: Well it's not like the Griffies. I agree with you.
Speaker 8: Don't make it historical. If if you're point is, hey, listen, Lebron's earned this, and that's your point, that's fair. I'll give you that, but don't make this some unbelievable event that the sports fans got to pay attention to because because they're pacifying Lebron James.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you work part time for a network that makes this bigger than what it needs to be.
Speaker 8: I agree, I agree, and that is why yesterday part time is a little strong. Then you're a ESPN I'm on there at two hours a week to give them to help Stephen Eddie.
Speaker 9: I mean to say that I'm an esp employees a little strong.
Speaker 2: But do you have ESPN?
Speaker 9: I d no, I don't.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, then you're not an.
Speaker 8: I can get into Disney World with a discount that it passaged me. Now I tell you a little secret. I told them yesterday. I said, guys, listen, I'll play the You know, this is how I feel about Ronnie. If you don't want me to get into this, because it's going to bother people all lay low and to stephen A's credit, said, Chris, say what you have to say if you get pounded, who cares?
Speaker 9: We all get pounded on first, Dad, say what you have to say. So that's what I said.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know, but that's where I couldn't do it anymore. And I did it when I was there where they'd say, hey, you got to go Duke North Carolina basketball, you got to talk Yankees, Red Sox and you know you guys are told here's topics there and the amount of times that you can create. Now everybody's doing this. What's the cowboy angle today?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 9: I know, got Doc Prescott.
Speaker 3: But I love when you fight back because you're gonna stand, You're gonna speak to more people instead of playing the hits like they do.
Speaker 9: Like, well, here's what I would say, and I'm i pat myself on the back.
Speaker 8: This is just me telling you because you and I have been together and known each other for a very long time. Here's what I would say. How many people? And I didn't do this on purpose. I just did this because it's this is how I felt. How many people are going to go on ESPN, no matter what the show and not the idea that I've seen too much of Jason Kelsey.
Speaker 9: How many people are going to do that?
Speaker 8: Yes, because he was all of that Atlanta Philadelphia game.
Speaker 2: I mean that was that was not good.
Speaker 9: That was too much.
Speaker 2: That's be fair.
Speaker 9: Yes, I right along Danny.
Speaker 2: I'm a right around No.
Speaker 3: But Steven a going to a Knicks playoff game and you would have thought that he was playing.
Speaker 8: I said that yesterday bad, I said, Steve, how about a T shirt?
Speaker 2: Most Everything's great, Everything's great.
Speaker 9: That's a good spot with Manford. That's a good spot with Manford.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know, I like him. He's a good guy. I like him.
Speaker 3: I haven't liked everything he's done, but you know what it's like David Stern.
Speaker 2: I really loved Stern.
Speaker 3: We had battles, but you know what, I thought, at least he would listen.
Speaker 2: I thought at least he was honest with me.
Speaker 3: And that's all I can ask for when you have these like the commission Goodell doesn't come on the show. The other commissioners come on, and I feel like I can say to Adam Silver, this is wrong, or you got to change the all NBA don't make it. You know, positions, it's positionless. Basketball is positionless. And he changed that, and so.
Speaker 9: I had some influence with that.
Speaker 2: I do appreciate that.
Speaker 3: All right, I gotta go, and you need to comb your here, you got to comb your head.
Speaker 2: Thank you. Dog.
Speaker 3: That's Christopher mad Dog Russo and Sirius XM Channel eighty two, mad Dog Unleash. He's also on First Take and he's not a part time employ and host of High Heat on MLB.
Speaker 2: Take a break back after.
Speaker 1: This, be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAPP.
Speaker 3: I do think, because it's Lebron James, that we look at nepotism and then we're outraged. There's nepetism all over the world, all over industry, all over this industry.
Speaker 2: Happens all the time.
Speaker 3: Somebody knows somebody who knows somebody somebody gets a job before they're ready.
Speaker 2: Happens all the time.
Speaker 3: Bill Belichick's son is still on the Patriots coaching staff. Do you think he stood out at some coaching seminar on all of a sudden. I think he might have cut the line. I mean, this happens all the time. But I think because it's Lebron James, and you know he forced them quotes to draft his son.
Speaker 2: It's not the end of the world. It's not. He's going to play a little bit. He'll go to the G League.
Speaker 3: I don't know who plays longer in the NBA, Bronni or his dad. How about that for a question starting today, who plays longer in the NBA? Lebron or Bronni.
Speaker 6: Yes, Stephen Belichick is actually currently at the University of Washington. Oh, he's coaching in college now. He got that job on his own, though, But.
Speaker 3: I think there's another Belichick on the coaching staff. Isn't there could be? Isn't there?
Speaker 6: One thing I know for sure is that Clint Kubiak got that job on his own.
Speaker 2: Of course he did, so did Mike Lafleur. I'm sure they did. They all got those jobs on their own. There's nepotism all around.
Speaker 3: Now, it doesn't make it right, but I'm just saying we single out Lebron because it's Lebron. This happens all over. Okay, it's time for our Dower rankings. Any sport, any team, any person, and the rationale is they're not doing well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's just depressing and down and somewhat hopeless.
Speaker 2: Dower. Let's let Todd quickly.
Speaker 4: There is a Belichick still on the Patriots. Brian Belichick handles the safeties.
Speaker 6: Oh, Bron, right, It's just it is so funny how they just all ended up working for the Patriots.
Speaker 2: And then Drod Mayo is his brother on the coaching staff with the Patriots. Oh is he like strength and conditioning coach?
Speaker 10: Hold on the Mayo. Hold, I don't have him. There's no Mayo, no Mayo. Oh so they did hold the Mayil no man. Oh, for some reason, I thought his brother was on the coaching staff. Okay, Todd Dower Rankings.
Speaker 7: Dower Rankings. College football in Oklahoma, Sooners fall to South Carolina thirty five to nine. Now they're four and three already, three losses. The Cowboys of Oklahoma State lose to a good BYU team. But they're three and four, zero to four in the Big Twelve, ranked sixteenth in that conference. What's going on with Oklahoma and Oklahoma State?
Speaker 2: See O'Connor Dower ranking.
Speaker 6: Dower rankings are everything and everyone involved in the Cleveland Browns. That situation is an absolute disaster. You brought in a dude with a very skeedule.
Speaker 3: I think they're Ameritith Seaton. I think we have to take the Browns off the board.
Speaker 6: He has an unbelievable history, an awful history. You give him a fully guaranteed contract when he gets booth, when he gets hurt and his season is over, the fans are cheering that he got hurt.
Speaker 2: Your own fans are like.
Speaker 6: Yes, that's what you get, ha ha. And then your backup is a guy with essentially the exact same past as.
Speaker 2: The guy who just got hurt.
Speaker 6: He's a dude who settled a whole bunch of sexual assault lawsuits too. You couldn't you got multiple dudes like that on the team. That place is a train wreck.
Speaker 5: Marvin my Dower ranking Joel embiid you're out already, and then you're going to say you're not playing back you said in advance, I'm not playing back to backs the NBA.
Speaker 3: Is he playing the next game? No, But there wasn't a game before this for him to sit down this game.
Speaker 5: You don't know that?
Speaker 2: Was it a pickup game? Pauli Dower ranking.
Speaker 4: I watched most of the Brooklyn Nets Atlanta Hawks game last night. He yes, it was like watching a torture video. The Brooklyn Nets are so hopeless. They're neither interesting, nor entertaining or compelling. And Ben Simmons that money Sieve untrying player. You should watch him play, oh, I have. It's fascinating to see some of the plays he doesn't make or makes. He had five files in one quarter. He had six turnovers.
Speaker 3: It's amazing to see him get ready to take a shot or a layup, and then he pulls it down or throws it back out.
Speaker 4: It's like he's a magnet and the baskets a magnet, and when he get close, they go away from each other.
Speaker 3: He had a couple of times where he's going in left handed and then he'll pull it down or throw it back out. He just doesn't want to shoot. He doesn't want to get fouled. He doesn't want to go to the line. Final hour on this Thursday on the Way he's Randy Johnson, Big unit back with us. Hope he'll stay with us as well. Hour three on the Way