Speaker 1: Wow, that sound of rings, five of them means another episode with the two guys five rings podcast?
Speaker 2: Will we start with the five rings and then we go to two guys and then we do another bread in the sandwich of five rings? Do we start with five rings and then go to two guys? Or do we start with two guys and then go to five rings? Well, I'm saying we literally start by saying five rings. You're right, Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Wow, I didn't even think about how this podcast is.
Speaker 2: A recognition recognition.
Speaker 1: This podcast is just like what it's like a game of really Olympic sport beach volleyball, you know what I mean, back and forth and fourth and back the ball.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, the ball goes and the men die. And that's on podcasting. That's on podcasting. Now, Matt, let's just catch up. Yes, we have kind of this is our time checking in with each other since the podcast is sort of making waves.
Speaker 1: Taken off, has taken off in such a way. Yeah, no, this podcast is now a cultural excision in its own right. Things have really taken off, thank god. And I think since I've last saw you, I guess my big headline is I went on a little vacation. I went to the Poconos, where I took port. In took port. I just took port, or I took port in some Olympic sports. I did golf. I watched beach volleyball happen. I saw some sailing happen. But I did golf. I played golf.
Speaker 2: That's amazing. Do you feel like an Olympia in a way? Certainly no.
Speaker 1: I think in order to feel like an olympiaan in golf, you'd have to be able to hit a drive? Do you know what that is? Do you know golf at all?
Speaker 2: I couldn't. I can tell you what a mulligan is. I think, well, you're better than me.
Speaker 1: Is a mulligan outside of being the surname of the great actress carry a mulligan is he's.
Speaker 2: Laying up everyone, so he can't actually tell me. So yeah, I couldn't tell you. A mulligan is a second chance to perform an action, usually after the first chance went wrong. So mulligan ENGLF where the player is allowed to replay a stroke.
Speaker 1: M h I'm gonna say I had my mulligan all the time and repeated Mulligan's repeated I replay a stroke every day. Oh honey, replying strokes till I can't breathe.
Speaker 2: Girl, I wish you could mulligan in dating. Oh, babet's let's let me, let me just go redo redo. Yeah, this is the two guys section and U two single guys? Brother? Would you beat dating?
Speaker 1: Would you be intimidated to date an Olympian? Like if an Olympian got in the DMS and was like, hey, it's me Olympic bronze, silver, gold medalist, doesn't really matter.
Speaker 2: Can I reveal something? Yeah? I don't think he was an Olympian, but he I think no, I think he was an ice dancer for Canada. Yep, okay, I know not who you're not who you're thinking. That's another guy who's in everyone's DM or very own Olympic trials. This is another ice dancer and he's very funny. He might even be listening to this very podcast and we say shout out so the Olympians you're out there. I would be intimidated to answer your question, yes, because I have done the thought experiment and went I'm not worthy. This is one of our great athletic powers in the world athletic minds. This is one of our great athletic minds. I've been on a date with one of our great athletic minds, and I.
Speaker 1: Did have to talk myself up for it, and I was like, I'm nervous. I'm nervous. This is an Olympian. And then guess what, they're just guys. They're just guys, they're just gals, They're just regular folks like us. So that's one of the things I want to set an intention for as we start to watch the Olympics is, guys, there's just these are just people. These are just people just like you and I, and you have a chance with each and every one of them. I want to tell the audience that.
Speaker 2: You have a chance with each If you are watching the Olympics this year and going I want to take that one out to dinner. You can. You can do it. Reach out, of course, don't make it uncomfortable, don't make it weird, don't make it weird ever, But you know, shoot your shot come as a gun on screen as tail. Wow.
Speaker 1: But we got to bring it back to Paris. We gotta bring it back to Paris, we.
Speaker 2: Gotta bring it back to Terris. To our producers to be telling us well, first of all, since the introduction of this podcast as a cultural institution, we can reveal at this time that Matt and I are maybe being offered a spot on the ioc I. We might have a hand in picking out the next city.
Speaker 1: Where would be your ideal spot? Brooklyn, Provincetown, Provincetown, you know, honestly, Brooklyn will be cute because it's right here. Province down would be amazing because it's so beautiful in the summer, in the community. I think it'll be huge for the gays to host, really, because then the gays would be hosting the Olympics, and that would be fun.
Speaker 2: That would be so fun a gay host. I love it. Yeah, but listen to bring it back to Paris.
Speaker 1: You know those swimmers were swimming. Did you catch any of the Olympics im trials?
Speaker 2: I am being told of the moments? Yeah, and did you?
Speaker 1: So basically, like, I just want to say one thing. Katie Ladeci, she really is no joke. Her reputation precedes her. But then you watch her and you understand why reputation capital are in this case is why that reputation is what it is. Did you see the video of Katie Ladecci swimming in the water with a glass of chocolate milk on her head and it doesn't fall off.
Speaker 2: Now, that is just a flex. What we call a flex in the industry. That's what we call ego.
Speaker 1: Listen, Katie, that is what we.
Speaker 2: Call diva behavior.
Speaker 1: Truly, honestly, as a lover of chocolate milk, do you love chocolate milk?
Speaker 2: I haven't had it in decades.
Speaker 1: So you're not even really it's not even on the brain for you.
Speaker 2: I would gladly accept a glass of it right now. I just it's not what I go for. It's not what's available. Like, let's talk about dairy for a second. I would love to. I was just talking about this with a friend. Imagine you're out to dinner in a nice restaurant and let's say an Olympian you're on a date with is like we have a glass of milk. Yeah. I would be turned on personally.
Speaker 1: The boldness that that has, the consciousness of osteoporosis that that has. I have to say, there was a time in American culture where osteoporosis was one of the top three things we were worried about, and now that fear is just gone. There was a time when they used to say, you have to have to drink two full glasses of milk a day to get the calcium that you need, or you run the rist of osco porosis, which, by the way, my grandmother described as end i quote, not a day in the park.
Speaker 2: And she said ostioporosis was not a day in the park.
Speaker 1: And now all of a sudden, we're not even thinking about it. They're saying milk. They're saying milk. Couldn't even get arrested.
Speaker 2: Milk. You're not cracking the top twenty issues that Americans care about.
Speaker 1: Because with inflation, honey, honey, inflation Number one is inflation, uh huh? Number two, International affairs number three, Chapel r oone, number four, culture wars, number five, when is Severan's coming back?
Speaker 2: And then maybe number six osteoporosis. This is so maybe it's it's certainly top ten, it's not top five, but that is something that we could all rally behind. Ostioporosis was like the thing there were no party lines with osteoporosis.
Speaker 1: Because everyone has bones. Everyone has bones, and so this is something that we could really get together.
Speaker 2: Now, this is all to lead us into a discussion about we've got to bring it back to Paris, we got to bring it back to Paris. Well, today we're talking about the top Olympic moments, and there are a lot of them. I would say the unit of measurement in the Olympics is moments. It's not events. It's not even the people, it's not the metals. It is the moments.
Speaker 1: You remember the moments most of all. By the way, I'm looking at these moments and I'm so happy to see a couple of moments here that I was actually watching live in the flesh.
Speaker 2: Oh, the Katie Ldeki moment. Absolutely, all the swimming trials we have engagement to talk about. We have a sixteen year old track and field record break that just happened very recently. This is all leading up to Paris. Needless to say, this is shaping up to be an exciting Olympics before it's even begun.
Speaker 1: We which of course means in French, I so agree with you. Yes, And I think that first of all, I do want to say l Deci that is it's kind of like, of course it's going to be exciting to watch her win, but when someone is so much better than everyone else. You kind of do lose a little bit of the suspense, like we're just gonna be watching this woman dominate and that's earned, but you know, you wish.
Speaker 2: For a little bit more suspensia. There's suspensia to be found where you will find it if you are seeking it out. And I am let Katy be the Beyonce. I would say, Katy le Decci is the Beyonce of the Olympics this year.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's a huge title to be given the title of the Beyonce of the Olympics. Now, she's got to come.
Speaker 2: On the podcast, Katie. Open invite Katie.
Speaker 1: We do very well with people with your first name. That's all I'm going to say. We do very well with you and your type and your ilk and your ilk. Now, let's just quickly talk about the top moments that are not going to be considering the totality of the Olympics of record. But let's just say in these trial moments first, I want to talk about these record breaks. Okay, So twenty thousand people witnessed the first of the nine day trials in Indianapolis, record attendance for an endorsement meat, which did not last long because Wednesday's event were an even larger turnout, the USA Swiming announced a new attendant circuit of twenty two two hundred and nine. And that wasn't the only record broken on Wednesday. Matt Fallon captured the American record by finishing the two hundred meter breaststroke in get this two minutes end six point five four seconds. Least timers are precise, let me tell you something they need to be, because if anything was extremely clear in the trials, it's that this comes down to literal milliseconds. I was watching like a few of the heats, and you know, you don't qualify if you're like zero point three away from where the front runner was. It is heartbreaking to watch it come down to that tiny, tiny, tiny difference, which you have to think they're prepared for, but it is crushing to watch someone just lose by point oh eight and not even lose but come in six or something, because that's how close it was between the top six.
Speaker 2: It's wild not even lose, just like not qualify for the next heat like that is I can barely conceptualize time in my everyday life, where I'm thinking in terms of minutes and hours, maybe like for a tenth or one hundredth of a second to determine my career. That is that is wild, and we apply all of you.
Speaker 1: We applaud you all, and honestly, like, let's just hope that these timers are worth their salt, because sometimes I'm looking in the ocean, and by the ocean, I mean the pool where they swim, the pool. Sometimes I'm looking in that ocean and I see them all hit the wall at one time, and I'm like, I'm sorry, but who can say?
Speaker 2: Who can say who was first?
Speaker 1: Like I guess they got those special cameras, they got those special clocks, like it's up to them, but really very stressful, you don't want to mess up.
Speaker 2: I agree. We're putting a lot of faith in technology and cyfficle timer technology, camera technology. Matt Fallon, well done, sister, twenty one year old legend who narrowly surpassed Josh Preno's time from twenty sixteen to qualify for Paris, alongside seventeen year old Thomas Heilman, who becomes the youngest US main Olympic swimmers since Michael Phelps debuted at age fifteen in two thousand. These are the future stars, current stars. Yeah, current stars. I mean this is current events are happening as we speak. Imagine your thing being the breastroke, Like you're so good at the breastroke, Like it is unreal how good you are at the breastroke. Because you think like, oh, you want to become a swimmer, like you're doing freestyle, like.
Speaker 1: Backstroke, breaststroke. These are really leisurely activities you do to get to and fro in the water. But in this Olympic arena you can be a breaststroke speedster, a back stroke raptor.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, okay, you better be a backstroker raptor if you're gonna qualify. If twenty two thousand people have their eyes, if you have forty four thousand eyes on.
Speaker 1: You, twenty two thousand.
Speaker 2: That's crazy. I doubled it because of eyes. I'm being ablest and assuming everyone has two eyes and they might not, I'm so sorry.
Speaker 1: Well, speaking of two, it takes two people to get engaged. Listen to this headline. Lily King got engaged after qualifying for her second event. Five time Olympic medalist, Lily King collected two new pieces of jewelry Thursday night at the US Olympic Swimming Trials. Moments after finishing in second place behind Kate Douglas in the two hundred meter breast stroke at Lucas Oil Stadium to qualify for her second event of the twenty twenty four Paris Olympics, King's boyfriend James Wells, proposed to her as she made her way out of the pool into the warm down area. Video of the moment was shared soon after on social media by USA Swimming and NBAC Sports. I don't know if I would be particularly open to this moment while I'm dehydrated, sweating, stressed, my eyes are, my head is spinning, and then my man gets.
Speaker 2: On one knee.
Speaker 1: Uh, I guess your most vulnerable and open well.
Speaker 2: I mean, couldn't you have at least gotten her a blowout station before the big moment. Give this woman a damn blowout before she puts a ring on her finger.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let her get her blow out, Let her go, put her shoulder pads on, let her plan her spontaneity. That's the thing about surprise engagements is like you kind of have to tip it to the lady a little bit so they can feel like you know, they're on top of themselves for their own moment, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: What's it called very millennial thing? When a whole bunch of people start to dance in Unison. Oh, that of course is a flash mob. Flash mob? Yeah? Is this the new flash mob moment? Us qualifying trials?
Speaker 1: That's why there are so many twenty two thousand.
Speaker 2: Two, that is a flash mob.
Speaker 1: Mama gets out of the water, like like Lily k gets out of the water. I was gonna say, love it, just like everyone in the everyone there doing like left shark, right shark, like just kind of giving that mid choreos that they always give during a flash mob. And literally just think about James Wells King's boyfriend just sort of doing a little dance as he walks up to her. Cut to Lily King, who's just out of the water.
Speaker 2: Like oh my.
Speaker 1: God, baby babe, No, oh my god, baby baby, and she's freaking out, and then he gets on one knee and like, I guess you'd have to get married then once someone organizes a flash mob, which we're not saying that James Wells did, in fact, you did not, but in this moment, it's like he attempted grandeur, and you know she's gotta say yes.
Speaker 2: She's got to say Although I'm looking at pictures of the moment, it's very sweet. I'm smiling. She seems happy, he seems happy. He's a burly fellow, is he? These are people who could both of them could literally move a mountain. These are like actual Olympians in the sense that they can control the elements. They have this strength.
Speaker 1: I've googled, oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: This. She looks very thrilled. This is sweet.
Speaker 1: So you have to imagine if you're going to propose to your girlfriend at the Olympics when everyone is watching, you probably know about her that she's the type of girl that would want that.
Speaker 2: Definitely, this is just her job. This is the thing. Like we can't really put too much gravitas or stakes in these moments. Like for them, it's just like, oh yeah, like another day at the office.
Speaker 1: Another day absolutely slanging in the office, qualifying for my second event and getting a ring on my finger.
Speaker 2: As Jennifer Lawrence, an American hustle said, I got a ring on my finger, yeah, and an USCAR nominated performance. We absolutely am And then another moment, a sixteen year old stunner at track and field trials in Eugene, Oregon. We have a sprinting phenomenon and intersectional A straight A student give it up for Quincy Wilson, who had already become a true future star of American track and field. With bullet emblazon across the front of his uniform, Wilson ran four hundred meters in forty four point six seconds, shattering the under eighteen world record and breaking an American record.
Speaker 1: I can stop carrying this heavy burd in period. So this is how far we've made it. When I mentioned until I mentioned my mile time, which was four minutes and thirty six seconds. Wow, And I just wanted to bring up my four hundred times. So he ran a forty four point sixty six seconds. I did a fifty four in high school and was busting my ass. Couldn't have even dreamed of going faster. So ten seconds faster than that.
Speaker 2: And were you a straight A student actually, Bowen?
Speaker 1: Yes, I actually was a straight A student until I stopped caring at math, and I took like a very very very easy course, like a regent's course we called it. I took statistics and I got an A in that, but probably wasn't an a student in math in the way that you would qualify as like a typical very good student.
Speaker 2: But I just didn't try. You don't know me. You don't know what I qualify statistics basically very hard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I guess it depends. But it was pretty it was. It was pretty easy stuff. But you know, I'm not calling myself any Quincy Wilson. I'm just saying, you know, this is about Quincy. He's He's done an amazing work.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm starting to get jealous of Quincy Wilson because here's this other little morsel. They they as a new balance. Let him design his own racing singlet damn with the Maryland state flag pattern. This is a truth.
Speaker 1: That's the dream.
Speaker 2: That's the dream. Oh and this is a good design he did, like the pixel camo black and white with a pop of yellow. This boy knows color theory. This boy's a legend.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, yeah he looks great.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: These kids are so young.
Speaker 2: These are young kids, and we celebrate their achievements. Go off, my gosh, go off kids. Our future, I believe.
Speaker 1: And now we have to change the melody.
Speaker 2: So we don't get to children our future. Yes you wanted to say, what he's Houston preacher's way. Only loved Whitney, only loved to Whitney. Let's take a quick break, and when we come back, we are going to go through the top Olympic moments throughout history. End time.
Speaker 1: We are back, we're about to go through some of the top moments across all Olympics history. And then of course we're gonna award our gold, silver, and bronze medal. How about this, bo we all remember where we were. If we were someone that was cognizant in nineteen ninety two, couldn't be us.
Speaker 2: We were only two years old children.
Speaker 1: When Derek Redmond was at the nineteen ninety two of Barcelona Olympics and he competed in the four hundred meters. A hamstring injury forced him to pull up during his semi final heat. Redmond decided to limp on to finish the race before his dad, Jim, ran onto the track to help his son continue and put his arm around his son's waist. Crowd give a standing ovation, and just before the finish line, Jim let go so Derek, who was in tears, could finish on his own. Sometimes, Daddy help my Daddy said, Shoot, I'm coming down to the track and helping you across the finish line like a father. Do I love my father. I just got to meet him for the second time.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm so glad. I felt as.
Speaker 1: Though this was a man who would hop onto the track and help his son across the finish line.
Speaker 2: He absolutely would.
Speaker 1: Like if you were ever doing an SNL sketch and you got the yips, I just know that Ruland would jump down from the stand and he would finish the sketch.
Speaker 2: Well, honey, I've had the yips at SNL for years and he hasn't shown it. One.
Speaker 1: That's not true. You're not categorizing this in a correct way. You only ever deliver it a girl you don't know, speaking of daddy. This number two, we have Michael Phelps eight gold medals in the Lwait Bajing Olympics. And that was a moment.
Speaker 2: Oh, total moment.
Speaker 1: I mean, and he hosted Speaking of he hosted the premiere after this happened. Remember that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm sure Lauren was like, well, he has to get to eight otherwise he's not hostating Otherwise You're just not interesting. No one knows who he is. It's so interesting.
Speaker 1: He see he was. He had a quest for eight medals. It was nearly derailed. In his second race, the four by one relay, Phelps, his teammate, an anchor swimmer on the US relay, Jason Lezak, entered the water more than half a second behind the French team, but he managed to finish ahead by eight hundredths of a second with the fastest ever relay leg Thank you, Jason, Thanks Jason. And then the seventh event final, the one hundred meter butterfly, Phelps hung on to win by an even closer margin, just one hundredth of a second. Okay, Like this is what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: It's crazy for the lag to be half a second behind the French team, to be like devastating, is devastating to think about.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmmm hm.
Speaker 2: But Michael, you legend you have. You have earned your name in the annals of history, Olympics history, which is best represented on this podcast. Two Guys five Rings one of the best pieces of Olympics content ever created.
Speaker 1: Get this Two Guys five Rings. One ankle destroyed. Oh during a vault.
Speaker 2: I know you're talking about Carrie Strug.
Speaker 1: Carries this is number three moment number three. In her first of two vaults, Strug sat down on the landing and injured her ankle, very very hard to watch. She was unsure she could vault a second time, but decided to attempt it as she thought her second vault was needed to ensure that the US would get the gold. After limping back to the end of the runway, she took the vault, landed briefly on both feet before instantly hopping onto the uninjured food. She then collapsed to her knees and needed help off the competition floor. Eventually, her coach, Bella COOLi, carried Strug onto the metal podium to join her teammates the rest of the Magnific seven. Now this is an interesting one because yes, we love that Kerrie was able to, you know, you know, fight through it to get the gold. But also you know, mama's food could have snapped off at a certain point. It's like, but what about her foot?
Speaker 2: What about her foot? I mean, do you think Bella, mister Bella like got what was going on? Like I don't know, but Bella is of course nicon. I mean, who could forget the mustache and the Magnificent seven.
Speaker 1: He actually he kind of is a prototype. He's kind of like a daddy prototype, like Bella Coroli. Like you see a lot of guys walking around Brooklyn trying to serve that. You know, I always say, Bowen Yang very powerful with a mustache.
Speaker 2: I wish I could grow on irl.
Speaker 1: I see you trying right now, I see you character. I know Bowen is shooting a film and his character has a little bit of facial hair. It's a little grungey because you want because isn't this your most adult role yet?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I'm this is your most They're.
Speaker 1: Saying, this is a huge this is a huge career transition. He's finally doing a grown up adult role. Like, this is your this is your transition, this is your Miley Cyrus last.
Speaker 2: Song, Yes, oh my god, Last Saw was that the movie that really got her into adult that.
Speaker 1: Most famous example a transition to adulthoods Oh my god. People are really going to be listening to this, Like when will they talk about the Olympics, Like, you can't deny we have been talking about it, but certainly it's not.
Speaker 2: But we we in essence, we haven't talked about the Olympics.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't change a thing, just like you know who i'd else bet wouldn't change a thing. Abby Dagasina and Nicki Hamblin, Oh, this was an international moment of peace and cooperation in friendship. Talk about it well, as we all remember in Rio twenty sixteen. I mean, forget the Tonguan guy, which we'll get to our king.
Speaker 2: This was let me set the scene. Go ahead. Nicki Hamblin from New Zealand, stumbled and fell on the trap. Dougustina, who was right behind Hamblin, tripped over her. Instead of continuing, Queen Abbey stopped to make sure Nicki could get up. Both athletes resumed the race, but Dougustinas sooner realized she was injured and fell to the ground too. You can't write this this time. Hamlin is the one who stops to check on Augustino. They both managed across the finish line, handled more than ninety seconds behind the winner of the heat and Augustina more than two minutes back. But this was something that made you say, this is the human spirit. This is part of the human condition, for all the pain and suffering that defines life. As a human being on this planet, in an inhospitable world, there are moments of gorgeous friendship and care and mutual aid. And this is what the Olympics are all about. I I could cry. I am crying. You are you know what this makes me think of?
Speaker 1: Like they were the original Charli XCX and Lord, like when they stopped and they said they worked it out on the remix, like they worked it out on the tracks.
Speaker 2: They did like.
Speaker 1: Remix, but they basically like, if you don't know what we're talking about, listen to Girls So Confusing version with Lord from Charli XCX and then go back and watch this.
Speaker 2: It's literally New Zealand. Yeah, New Zealand. And let's pretend Charlie's from the USA.
Speaker 1: Let's just pretend.
Speaker 2: This moment was giving you. I'm glad, I know how you feel because they Rightie.
Speaker 1: This literally someone needs some that listens to this podcast needs to take a clip from Abby Dagersina and Nikki Hemblin and put it to Girls Show Confusing Remix with Thorn. You have to please do it for us that can't because we don't have the same head. Yeah they say we have the same head.
Speaker 2: We're just two gay men living in this world, and our next moment is one gay man being.
Speaker 1: Diving off a board.
Speaker 2: I think, to me, Greg Luganis is like one of the most compelling interesting Like I'm just gonna say this is my contender for gold medal. I'm just gonna come out there and say it because Greg, can I say something?
Speaker 1: I agree with you too, And let's just reveal Greg Luganis wins the gold medal for this episode, Like we are standing, we are we are we are gay men supporting gay men, Okay.
Speaker 2: And this is a moment, the Greg Luganis moment off the diving board is a moment that could have enveloped society and gay shame. And yet we are here to tell you thirty six years later that we are more prideful than ever. Matt, I want you to tell the people about the story of Greg Luganis. It was the nineteen eighty eight Soul Olympics.
Speaker 1: Okay, in the preliminary round of men's springboard diving, Greg Luganas struck his head on the springboard.
Speaker 2: During his ninth dive.
Speaker 1: He collapsed into the water, earning a score of six point three to zero points.
Speaker 2: Back cluster.
Speaker 1: Before the final dive, he received several stitches from a US team doctor and easily qualified.
Speaker 2: For the final, which he won comfortably.
Speaker 1: Seven years later, Luguanus not only publicly came out of gay but also revealed that he was HIV positive and had been at the time of the Soul Olympics. Luganus admitted he worried that his head injury had possibly contaminated the water and risked infecting other divers, and also struggled over whether he should have the team doctor about its HIV positive status. Mario Lopez played Louganis in a memorable made for TV movie adaptation, Breaking the Surface. This was the definition of overcoming.
Speaker 2: I I literally was about to say, there needs to be a movie made about this.
Speaker 1: And you know what, when I looked at the document, I thought, Wow, Greg Luganis looks a lot like Mario Lopez. And then I realized in the document, our producers had been kind enough to put the poster for Breaking the Surface, the Greg Luganas story in the document, and it is Mario Lopez. So actually, we'll never be able to know how much they look alike. We'll never be able to know. Can I reveal something about my personal history. You may always in the early days, as in the early days of the Internet and the early days of my life, in the time that I was grappling with the fact that I was maybe attracted to the sense at the end, one of the Googles that would come up would be Mario Lopez shirtless, Mario Lopez shirtless all the time. But I'm all I also to tell you something I'm looking at Greg luganis this man knows no slouch.
Speaker 2: Greg is forever a hunk. Who but Mario Lopez. And what would come up thanks to j Lo after she wore the Versace dress which led to Google in research being a thing, was I had a trope of Mario Lopez, as Greg luganis, pictures of him in a little speedo and me going, that'll do pig, That really will do pig.
Speaker 1: And you know what I mean, like in many ways bo because Greg luganis dove, Mario Lopez.
Speaker 2: Was able to pretend to dive or act diving.
Speaker 1: So that you could grow up be gay, make gay friends, me being one of them. We could make our gay podcast and it would lead to us having this gay podcast about sports and I honestly feel like for this episode to end with us commemorating Greg Luganis and being able to say thank you and giving him a gold medal arbor Charlie, because that's how we feel today as hosts of this podcast. Two Guys, Five Rings.
Speaker 2: Life is so beautiful. I'm still crying. I'm still crying. This is why Greg Lugainis wins the gold medal. I just want to quickly talk about some other moments. I have a lot of moments. I mean, it's the Olympics, after all, It's made of moments. Of course, we have Michael Johnson at the ninety six Atlanta Olympics. We have the Tongan king at the opening ceremony four Rio Peta Tafatofua. Truly like everyone thirsting, the whole one of like the pure moments of like global unity. One thought, yeah, global thirstrugh, Everyone's like that is one of the most wonderful men to ever exist. Usain Bolt at several Olympics at this point, just dominating in the field. Atlanta women's soccer for the American team and women's basketball for both the Atlanta Games and Tokyo in twenty twenty and.
Speaker 1: Don't fork at the Fierce five. But you know, Carrie strug is folded into that a little bit that she was a part of the Magnificent and seven. But I love when the gymnasts like to name their group. It reminds me of like when a group of high school girls would have a name for their group of friends.
Speaker 2: Did you have them at your school? We didn't really have them at high school.
Speaker 1: One group of girls at my high school named themselves the stillett Hose still let and then instead of Stiletto's they were still at Hose. I understand, very millennial, like we want to go up to be sluts ideology without really understanding what that is, but.
Speaker 2: Like also not you're having a full grasp on the wordplay still att Hoses doesn't really roll off.
Speaker 1: And then there was another thing, so that was I remember when I was in eleventh grade, the tenth graders were named the still att Hoes the cool girls, and the tenth grade name Stilettos and the ninth grade girls who everyone in my grade would be like, oh, this generation coming up under us such they were called lish l e like we are lishit kind I kind of like that I know they were the coolest people there.
Speaker 2: It's kind of punk. It's kind of punk rock, like it's so punk rock.
Speaker 1: So Greg Luganis gets the gold medal. Congrats Gregg who earns the silver medal for all of these all time Olympic stories.
Speaker 2: Bro Carrie Strug makes me sad, like I want to give it to Carrie, give it to her. No, because what Honestly, if I think about Abby Dagostino Nikki Hamblin, I could cry almost as much as I You're so convenient.
Speaker 1: Sometimes I'm so happy we made that connection because it's so real.
Speaker 2: It's so real, or you know, if it were twenty sixteen and if Joanne by Lady Gaga had just come out, we would be telling people you need to put hey girl, hey girl, we don't need to keep one in the I want I personally, and you can out vote me at weigh me. I want to get silver to Appy Dacastino, Nikki him.
Speaker 1: I think it's a really good choice.
Speaker 2: And then can I pick the bronze?
Speaker 1: Yes, carry because I don't want her to have gone through all that pain for not going. We need to give her the bronze because what would be worse than us, just being like, oh, we're we're concerned for her, so we're just gonna completely overlook her achievement, Like, come on, we have to give her something. Take the bronze of your all time Olympic moments, Carrie So Bronze medal to Carrie Shrug, silver medal to the girl so confusing moment, and the gold medal goes to Greg Luganis, And it goes to Greg Luganis every day and we choose you, Greg, and you look hot in these pictures of these throwback photos, I'm taking maybe even hanter than Mario Lopez who played you.
Speaker 2: Just saying a lot them fighting words.
Speaker 1: This has been another epic installment of the Two Guys Five Rings podcast, which is now in the cultural.
Speaker 2: Like, yes, this is our analysis at the top moment. Somehow we made them very, very, very gay. But that's what the Olympics are. Listen, in the original Olympics, these men were naked and oiled up and throwing the discuss. There's nothing gayer than that, honey.
Speaker 1: Let's just say, back in ancient Greece, they didn't discriminate, all right, More on that later in this podcast.
Speaker 2: I'm sure, I'm sure. Watch every moment of the twenty twenty four Paris Olympics beginning July twenty sixth on NBC and Peacock. And for the first time, you can stream the twenty twenty four Paris Games on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: And that's our episode and we will serenade you out with the tune