Speaker 1: How could you define Paul Skin's value right now? I don't know if there's a value that could be defined. He's kind of like the Mona Lisa right now.
Speaker 2: All right, here we go, Let's bring back Noah. Noah first off, right off the jump, because I think it is the second time you've been on with us. Give Noah a follow. I have him on my notifications beat writer for the Pittsburgh Post Gazette. It's been all over the story here with the disaster season for the Pirates, and we went over it last time we had you on. Let's focus on Derek Shelton out and what that means for the future of this organization. Do we think that ben Cherrington could be next, maybe at the end of the season, or does he get a longer leash because you can't replace the owner.
Speaker 1: Yeah, from what I've been told, if the season were to end today, ben Cherrington is still the general manager of this ball club. I think his dismissal largely depends on how this team plays under Don Kelly moving forward, if they play better, in which there's a possibility for that to happen, considering that they're going to be getting Spencer Horowitz and Nick and Zalez back soon, Bubba Chandler will probably be promoted here within the next month, and Jared Jones will be back sometime in July.
Speaker 3: They're gonna get.
Speaker 1: A better roster for him to play with or for him to coach, and if this team plays a little better, I think there's a chance Charrington sticks around. I don't know if that's the right call or not. Thankfully I'm not the one who has to make that decision, but yeah, I think that Charrington has a little bit longer of a leash. I think that's reflected in how they went about this last offseason. You don't typically see teams reconstruct their front office five years into a regime.
Speaker 3: They in the last eighteen months or.
Speaker 1: So, they've replaced all three heads of the scouting department, Pro International and Amateur. They found a new head of R and D and a new farm director. So those are moves that are typically made by a general manager who doesn't think he's on the hot seat. I don't know if that's changed. I would have to assume that there's definitely at least a little pressure connected to his name and title right now. But I think that if he's going to be let go at the end of the season. It's going to be because the team continues to play poorly after this Shelton move is made.
Speaker 4: If that is true, if his the result of the next one hundred and some games does kind of pertain to ben Cherrington's employment for next year and five years from now, does that mean there's going to be more input from the front office and Don Kelly's not gonna get a leash to be able to say this is what I want.
Speaker 3: That's another really good question.
Speaker 1: I know that they're probably going to make other staff changes. They just released their game planning coordinator this morning, so I'm interested to see what the rest of the coaching staff looks like now that Kelly's at the Helm. And as far as Kelly's future goes here in Pittsburgh, I do think he'll have a little bit more control and say of things. But at the same time, I mean, his future is depending, just like Charrington's, on how well the rest of this season goes. I think that Shelton had a lot of control here, maybe more than some people would like to believe. As far as lineup construction is concerned. It's just the options that he was given to choose from weren't the best, So it wasn't like he was necessarily pulling all the wrong strings. There just wasn't a lot of good strings to pull from. Kelly faces that same predicament. We'll see what he can do. But if he performs well, and I think he'll have the opportunity to make his own decisions with hope to perform well. But if he performs well, I think there might be a future here for him.
Speaker 4: How is Don Kelly going to be able to plan for the game without a game planning coach? Radley Haddad is just an absolute that just gets an absolute stray here by getting fired along with Shelton? What is Do you know any background of why he was the one that the team's not hitting? Why did the hitting coach not go? Why you know the tea Paul Skeins has four losses? See a pitching coach like why Radley Hadad getting drug out the door with Shelton.
Speaker 1: That's one I haven't had a lot of time to dig into just yet. This is a move that I just learned about this morning, and frankly, I've been pretty busy talking about the move that was made yesterday and still trying to figure out everything that went on there.
Speaker 3: There's a lot.
Speaker 1: Going on here in Pittsburgh. If you guys haven't been paying attention, from bricks to surfside ads to ushers hitting people with belts, it's been a lot. So now the focus is on the manager change, and I'm sure they're going to be you know, maybe a few other coaching staff changes or at least a reshuffling of the deck. And it's hard to make sense of any of it right now because it's hard to put blame on a few specific individuals when it seems like it's an organizational failure as a whole.
Speaker 5: Let me ask you this. So we're talking about management the brass a little bit, we haven't talked about are the players. What have you seen from the players? You Have they expressed any concern? Are they excited about the move? Have you talked to these guys about, you know, you know, what's next? Are you guys ready, you know, to kind of change gears here a little bit? Anything from the player's perspective on this change yet.
Speaker 1: I haven't talked to him since the change because yesterday was an off day. I'll be heading down to the clubhouse as soon as this interview's over, actually, but I am looking forward to hear their perspective. I know, in the days leading up to Shelton's dismissal, it was made pretty clear to me that this was expected and it's not something they necessarily were rooting for, but it was just kind of expected within multiple levels of the organization that if you've been around baseball long enough, you could feel a move like this coming. And I think the general consensus was this isn't going to fix much. They understood why it was likely coming, but it's going to take a lot of people being much better at their jobs if this is going to turn around, and the players recognize this. Mitch Keller voiced as much after when Day's loss. He said, we've got to hold each other accountable and we've got to do a better job of that, and it's going to take veteran guys like that on this team to push that messaging, and more than anything else, it's just going to take better execution. Some of their more reliable players just haven't been productive so far this season. You look at guys like Brian Reynolds, who is one of the higher paid guys on the team, one of the better hitters, more of the more consistent guys on the offensive end of this team. He just hasn't been playing well, and he's one.
Speaker 3: Of a few guys you could say that about.
Speaker 1: I'm sure he'll get going, and the team's going to need him to get going if it has any chance of playing any sort of meaningful baseball this year.
Speaker 2: It is complicated enough to figure out what type of car you want, but when it comes to pricing and best time to buy and all of that information that you're looking for, car gurus is the only destination that you should be thinking about. Kratz.
Speaker 4: Why because I don't have to question what the price is. It's going to be there. If the price changes and comes down to where I want it to be. Bang, I get a notification. Car gurrus is giving it to me straight, and this is how I want to purchase a car, not fast. I just want to know what's going on.
Speaker 2: With over four million listings, car gurws has more car listings than any other major online automotive marketplace in the US, so you can find the best deal and it's no wonder Similar Web estimated traffic data shows car gurws is the number one most visited car shopping site. So you can buy or sell your next car today with car Gurus at car gurus dot com. Go to car gurus dot com to make sure your big deal is the best deal. That's c r g u r us dot com, car gurus dot com.
Speaker 4: But when you have superstars, you need people around them. When you have stars, you need people around them. And nothing. I went to a game. I went to the Paul Skien start. No no ushers beat me up with a belt or anything. It was fine. I didn't buy any state sides, nothing like that. But I saw en Monwel valve As hitting fourth for this team. Is that making a Brian Reynolds who was hurt with a lad at the time, or a or a Andrew McCutcheon, or a bounce back year from key Brian Hayes accessible if you're not bringing in a first baseman who is has a has a consistent track record of hitting fourth or fifth in the lineup. Nothing at m man Weel is a big league baseball player, But when I saw him hitting fourth in the lineup, it surprised me that this team doesn't have something to supplement around the guys who are supposed to be supposed to be the guys for the team.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I totally agree.
Speaker 1: I last off season on October second, Ben Chrrington spoke with US reporters here at PNC Park is his end of season press conference. He said that he felt on that day, he said he felt that the organization, this organization's depth was the greatest it's been during his time in Pittsburgh. Well, that depth was tested in the beginning of this season when Nick gon Zalez was put on the IL after the first game of the season, and when Spencer Horowitz was put on the IL in spring training when he arrived in a risk cast. They lost their right side of the infield, and then they lost Jared Jones as well. That depth was tested and that depth failed. They did not have the guys to back up. I came on and was waiting in the lobby while you guys were talking about the Dodgers, and obviously that's a very tough team to compare the Pirates to or vice versa.
Speaker 3: But you want to talk about depth.
Speaker 1: When guys aren't performing on a winning baseball team, you have viable options coming up from the minor leagues or coming off the bench. The Pirates, their backup plans have not worked so far at first base, at second base, in the corner outfield spots. It's been just a handful of guys who have all the pressure on them to perform, and if they get off to a slow start, they're in big trouble. If they get hurt, they're in big trouble. Or when other guys are slumping and you're one of a few players that are an actual threat in the lineup, the opposing team doesn't have to throw you anything to hit you have no lineup protection. We're seeing all of that unfold right now here in Pittsford.
Speaker 2: So no, I'm going to go back to where I started. How does this not fall on Ben Charrington. We're in the National League Central, we know what we're dealing with in the owner at this point, they're not going to invest in players in the offseason. He's made that quite clear with his actions for a long time now. I can beat that one down as much as we want. But as far as money, I mean, sometimes the Brewers are not too far off with their payroll that they could be looked at as an outlier. But why can't the Pirates figure out how to get to that point at any point, and if they can't, doesn't that mean you try, and I don't know, find out who Matt Arnold's right hand man or even below that is, and just bring them over and be like, hey, can we try and replicate that because the budget's not going to change and I feel like there's been enough time here for Charrington to rack up some picks. And I don't see it for the Pirates. I mean, I've been pretty clear cut since the show started, right that, I don't see it.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: Sometimes it's cute it's a twelve and eight start and everyone's like woo, but it's not a good roster, right, It's not there. So I feel like they need a fresh start as far as how they're working as an organization. They're twelve and twenty six this season. Shot.
Speaker 1: You're not the only person who feels that way. It's tough to justify a fresh start when you have Paul Skime's pre arb right now.
Speaker 3: But I would have to agree.
Speaker 1: I'd think that when you look at what this organization is doing well versus what it's not doing well, I think that it's more than just identifying affordable big League talent. When you look back the last time this franchise was successful that thirteen through fifteen window, it wasn't because they were out spending teams or even spending more money than they normally do. It was because they were a good organization. They were thriving and scouting, They were thriving in the analytics community. They were innovative with implementing the shift into baseball that kind of started here in Pittsburgh. They were coming up with new ideas on how you can win baseball games. They were what people associate the Rays to be, or the Brewers or the Guardians, these small market teams who consistently win. You're not going to beat teams in the offseason with your spending budget. You're going to beat them by being better in the unseen areas of the game, the behind the scenes stuff. And the Pirates were that type of organization for a brief period of time about a decade ago. But then that progress stopped. As other teams continue to advance with the times and advanced their investment in those areas to the times, the Pirates remained stagnant and they fell behind. And I think their activity this past offseason indicated that they acknowledged that, and they were aggressively, aggressively trying to keep up. But you know, even good hires in the head of scouting departments, research and development, foreign director, those investments aren't going to show any type of payoff for two three years. So they're behind right now in the areas that small market teams need to be in. You're right by saying, yeah, the Brewers, they're not spending more money than the Dodgers or the Yankees, but their front offices are just as good, if not better, at figuring out innovative ways to create runs, to prevent runs from being scored against them, and to ultimately win games.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is probably at this point the most maddening franchise in baseball at the moment. You could have made the case for Seattle in the last few years, but they are humming along right now. So at least as far as power rankings for fan frustration, they're number one. So let's finish with this. Let's spind it forward. They're season's over, right, they're twelve and twenty six.
Speaker 5: They suck.
Speaker 2: Who should we start to look at and scout? Right from a national show perspective, we love the trade deadline and what leads up to it. So who could be on the move for the Pirates, Because the quickest way to get better is to trade away players for assets when you're not good, not the guys that are signed up for long term. I mean, we know Skens isn't getting traded, but who could delivered the Pirates some value back that they can utilize over the next few years.
Speaker 1: Oh, I think the first answer is Andrew Heeney. Everyone's looking for starting pitching. He's a veteran left hander who's been a part of some playoff rotations, so I think he could pull in some value. I don't think a ton, considering that he's on a one year deal. The two names that I think could be interesting, and I'm not necessarily sure if there I'll actually make it three. Not sure if they'll be dealt, but I think could potentially bring in some value. Two right handers out of the bullpen, David Bednar and Dennis Santana, both have an extra year of control after this season. Bennar has been really good after getting optioned on April first. He returned on the nineteenth. I think he's only allowed one earned run since he's come back, so he's been really good. And Dennis Santana, if you look at his numbers since being acquired by Pittsburgh, has been one of the more productive right handed relievers in baseball. He's been really under the radar as an effective leverage guy and with multiple years of I think both of those guys could be attractive pieces as far as position players go. I think maybe Joey Bart could be someone that they could shop. I don't expect a huge return for him, but what you consider what.
Speaker 3: They gave away.
Speaker 1: I believe the player they traded for him was Jackson Wolf, someone who was a minor league arm and you could probably get something a little bit more than that in return now, And when you look at just an asset appreciation, that could be something where they could view that as, hey, we could get a decent prospector another big league contributor maybe a replacement level player for someone we didn't expect to have on the roster very long. It ended up turning out to be a decent hitter.
Speaker 3: Bart.
Speaker 1: What does he provide to a team I don't know about much. Defensively, I think there's a weakness to his game as a catcher behind the plate. But I mean he's gotten above league average ops and he's got some pop to his back hasn't necessarily showed this year, but he's been getting on base and he can barrel the baseball. I think he'd be a nice little bench bat for a team to add at the deadline.
Speaker 4: Catchers rarely get moved a you know, if you want him at the trade deadline. It's just tough to simulate into a pitching staff on a playoff team. But here it is Noah outside the box. Trade Paul Skins. Trade Paul Skins in a herschel Walker type of game changing move.
Speaker 3: Here's why he can't do it.
Speaker 1: I don't know what how could you define Paul Skins's value right now? I just don't think he's so his talent plus what you're paying him. I don't know if there's a value that could be defined. He's kind of like the Mona Lisa right now. You have to allow him to get closer to arbitration, or at least I think hit arbitration until he's making something similar to a player his caliber, because with four years of control to what he can provide as far as value on the Mound. I don't think any team, especially a team in contention, would be willing to offer, would have the assets to offer, or would be willing to because I think if you're going to trade someone like that, you can't just trade them for straight up prospects. You need to get proven big league talent in addition to prospects.
Speaker 4: Largest trade of all time, I'm taught, Like, right now he is a chandelier in a haunted house. Yeah it doesn't you know the value of the chandelier, and other teams like if you want to make an impact on this organization, that will last for the next six years, which is why you fire your scouting department. Different heads, you change different things. You're looking to shake it up. Nothing in Spencer Horwitz. But that ain't the move that was pushing the Pirates across and right now Paul Schimes might win fifteen games a season for a sixty five at MAC seventy win team. Like it's a like, go and see the value, go and find it. Set a new bar. You have to do something new because you're not spending so you don't have four years of control with him. Technically in Pirate Land, you have like two and a half to three, because that's when they get rid of guys and trade him for you know, future all stars, like they did Tyler Glass, Now, like they did Garrett Cole, like they did all those things. Get something, get something right now, and change the bar.
Speaker 3: I think it could happen.
Speaker 1: I don't think it's gonna happen this year, though, I think that that's something that's gonna happen probably further down the line. And if they start a rebuild now, which I don't think they're going to, but if they start to rebuild now and deal off guys like Reynolds, Keller, Hayes, if anyone wants him, Paul might be the final move in that rebuild down the line when he's a little closer to arb and you can I also think that would have to be a move that's made over the offseason. I don't think anyone, like I said, would have the ability to acquire a player like that midseason.
Speaker 2: It is fascinating. At first you're looking like shut up, and then you're like, they eat a lot. Yeah, so well we'll bring you back and we'll talk it out again at some point. But no, thanks for the time, man, appreciate.
Speaker 3: It absolutely guys. Thanks for having me on