Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: Tonight.
Speaker 3: Tonight, we saw both candidates speak in reaction to last night's Supreme Court ruling. The ruling was a spectacular thing to behold. Actually, the decision was handing down in a matter befitting the stature and reverence that this nation holds for our Supreme Court.
Speaker 4: The US Supreme Court has reversed the decision of the Florida Supreme Court.
Speaker 1: Here an where to go?
Speaker 3: By the way, I'm gonna guess that guy. That guy's an intern. Reporters from all the networks struggled to interpret the minutia.
Speaker 5: He says, there's no justification for denying the state the opportunity to count all the disputed ballots now, and that's why I descend.
Speaker 2: But not everybody was able to keep up.
Speaker 5: They don't come right out and say anywhere, but listen to Justice suitor.
Speaker 6: Come on, Dan, pull it together.
Speaker 5: I'm to wait pursuing too. I don't get any of this.
Speaker 7: I don't pee keep stuff.
Speaker 5: I'll just throw my brow.
Speaker 2: Come on brow now.
Speaker 3: Our correspondence, Oh, that's awfully kind of you. Our correspondence were among the media throwing down in Washington. We're gonna go to the Supreme Court and Steve.
Speaker 8: Carell Steve, Yeah, okay, Steve Carell, Okay, that's interesting.
Speaker 9: That's that's good.
Speaker 2: Steve.
Speaker 8: Whatay, Just a second, John, what can you tell us about Wait a second, John, thank you? Uh yeah, I'd like the General Gow's chicken not too spicy.
Speaker 9: Thanks, it's Sean, Steve.
Speaker 2: Don't don't you have the brief?
Speaker 9: The Supreme Court brief?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: No, Well, why don't you go inside and get a copy?
Speaker 8: Okay, you know the two candidates.
Speaker 3: The two candidates were said to have spent the evening pouring over the complex and detailed Supreme Court ruling. But whereas Gore was pouring over it with his eyes and mind, Bush was pouring a glass of juice over it because quote, I don't want to finish my juice now. This five to four Supreme Court decision included a very harshly worded dissent by Justice John Paul Stevens, who wrote, quote, though we may never know with complete certainty the identity of the winner of this year's presidential election, the identity of the loser is perfectly clear. It is the nation's confidence in the judge as an impartial guardian.
Speaker 2: Of the rule of law.
Speaker 3: Let's go out, Advance Degenerous live at the campaign headquarters for the Nation's confidence in the Judge as Impartial Guardian of the rule of law. Vance Judge Stevens pronounced the nation's confidence in the judge as an impartial guardian.
Speaker 2: Of the rule of law the loser tonight. What's the mood like down there.
Speaker 10: Well, John, it's pretty quiet, somber. A lot of reflection going on, the nation's confidence in the judge as an impartial guardian of the rule of law. Is expected to come out any minute now and make its concession speech.
Speaker 9: Now.
Speaker 10: The folks here are disappointed, but say they're prepared to work with their opponents and bring the nation together behind the idea that judges are partisan ponds, beholden only to their own prejudices, which by all accounts ran a great race and deserves to celebrate tonight.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much, man, as we appreciate it. Now as we'll come back. I have word.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, I'm getting worried. Now I'm getting word. Now we can go back to Steve Carell. He's by now had a chance to digest that ruling. Steve, what can you tell us about this Supreme Court decision.
Speaker 8: This is a complicated decision and it reveals a very divided court. Not only was this a five to four ruling, it was a very close five to four ruling. How So, Steve, my sources tell me O'Connor sided with the Conservatives fairly readily. But the other swing vote, Justice Kennedy, was extremely torn. In fact, a friend of mine who clerks for Kennedy, passed along this cat scan of the Justice's brain taken during deliberations. As you can see, Gore locked up the justices cerebellum and orbital operculum, while the lateral sulcus and cerebral peduncle were Bush Country. But if you look at the southeast portion right here, you can see Justice Kennedy's all important occipital lobe was simply too close to call. Bottom line, both sides claimed victory in Justice Kennedy's occipital lobe.
Speaker 3: Well, now, if both sides claimed victory there, what wound up happening?
Speaker 9: Well, it got very nasty in there. George W.
Speaker 8: Bush was ultimately awarded Kennedy's occipital lobe and in turn, the presidency, all because of a tiny cluster of five hundred and thirty seven Ganglia occupying less than one hundred thousandth of a square inch.
Speaker 2: We certainly not much of a mandate there.
Speaker 11: Hustive, Now it is a job, not at all.
Speaker 9: A few neurons. Horrifying, just horrifying.
Speaker 2: Okay, hey, thank you, Steve. You stay warm down there.
Speaker 9: Okay, I can't feel my feet.
Speaker 3: Okay, Although controlling your political message, you may soon get even trickiers.
Speaker 1: On Thursday, this bombshell dropped.
Speaker 4: The US Supreme Court today overturned laws on the books for nearly a century and ruled that corporations can spend freely now on political campaigns.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let that sink in.
Speaker 3: Corporations will now be able to spend money to influence politics.
Speaker 1: What don't you want to think about what that might look like.
Speaker 3: The ruling once again highlights the forbidden dance between theory and practice. The theory is, as the Court explains, Congress may not prohibit political speech even if the speaker is a corporation or union, and prohibitions on corporate independent expenditures is a ban on speech.
Speaker 1: Corporations and unions.
Speaker 3: They're people just like you and me, but without mouths. So they can only talk through their wallet cords.
Speaker 1: It's a nice theory.
Speaker 3: Now companies are allowed to spend as much money as they want directly producing campaign ads for candidates.
Speaker 1: That means our future looks bright.
Speaker 2: What's up?
Speaker 6: It's me the E Trade baby, here to tell you about the stock market because I wasn't aboarded. You know, think how much money you would have lost if I had been aboarded and wasn't here to tell you about E Trade. So don't vote for Dianne Feinstein. You know she wants me dead at E Trade.
Speaker 3: That is a cute from more on the Landmark decision. Return to senior business analyst John John Oliver.
Speaker 1: Are you okay? Oh sorry? Have you been have you been crying?
Speaker 2: Are you all right?
Speaker 1: What a day, John, What a day?
Speaker 12: With this historic ruling, the last bastion of discrimination in this country has come toppling down. For too long, John, corporations have suffered under the yoke of laws, stripped of the basic freedoms and dignity guaranteed by our founders.
Speaker 9: It's been a long long time.
Speaker 12: Calming, you can wait, change gone, Calm now go.
Speaker 3: You really have a terrible voice, you're saying corporations have been denied.
Speaker 12: Yes, brother, but this did not come easy. Who can forget the million logo March, when companies from across the country descended on Washington, their brand crying out for equality. And of course there were the brave leaders of that movement, inspiring their brethren with their actions, such as the Pillsbury dough Boy in his thirty two week hunger strike. Today, that dough boy became a dough man for the first time in history. Corporations can walk with their heads held high, having left their mark on American democracy. This is a huge victory, John, not just for conglomerates but all of their fellow citizens.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry I've refused to accept the corporations should have the same protections as people.
Speaker 12: John, Please open your heart. Corporations are an oppressed minority, forced to move headquarters from state to states in search of friendly at tax codes, sometimes being forced to live just off our shores in tiny mailboxes, even having to change their name to a gate persecution. It breaks my heart, but it's happened time and time again.
Speaker 1: But John, that was Philip Morris.
Speaker 3: They voluntarily changed their name to Utter because they become synonymous with giving people cancer. The problem with corporations is their sole motivation is profit. They don't have souls. They're not people.
Speaker 12: They Oh, well this just got awkward. Uh, John, what if I were to tell you that you were sitting next to a corporation right now?
Speaker 1: You're a corporation, Yeah.
Speaker 12: John Oliver Worldwide Enterprise is a subsidiary of Oliver Corp.
Speaker 3: But you, John Oliver, the person, have rates. Why should your corporate entity?
Speaker 12: Oh, John, John, if you prick my corporation, does it not bleed?
Speaker 1: No, it does not.
Speaker 12: If you deprive us of water, do we not thirst?
Speaker 1: Just give your employees work.
Speaker 12: Please not bottles. Come on, they can get a cup of water, the missery, come on.
Speaker 1: To set up corporate oligarchs.
Speaker 12: Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoah, did you just drop the O bomb? You did not just drop the O bom with me? That did not just happen here. We can say that to each other. You can't say that to us. We have rights, now, John, you have more rights than people.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: Corporations can merge with one another. Gay people can't do that. They can't get married. Yeah, corporations can married, but gating can't.
Speaker 7: It's frame for me that that.
Speaker 12: Is for good reason. It's eight and T not at and Steve.
Speaker 1: Da this is you know, this is ridiculous. Let's not even please.
Speaker 12: What I'm saying, John is thank God with the Supreme Court's decision, I no longer have to put up with this.
Speaker 1: What are you doing?
Speaker 12: Yeah, well, I'm doing well. I should have done a long time ago. With my unlimited funds. I've purchased part of this show.
Speaker 9: Roll it, chuck.
Speaker 12: John Stewart says that if you make money in this country, you don't deserve a voice, probably so you can't cry for help while John Stewart is molesting you.
Speaker 7: Oliver Corp Has a better way.
Speaker 12: We've been working to harness the world's energy to keep children safe. After all, shouldn't we live in a world where everyone can be heard? Are not molested by John Stewart? We and Oliver Corp certainly think so? Yeah, Yeah, that's yeah, that's not fair.
Speaker 2: It's not fair.
Speaker 1: I'd pay for this.
Speaker 2: You wanted to talk.
Speaker 12: You should have purchased your own time slots.
Speaker 1: You're crying me in my worst and you can't say.
Speaker 5: That I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: I think I just did.
Speaker 12: But if you do have a rebuttal, John, you're free to incorporate and accumulate enough wealth to continue this discussion, which I would encourage you to do. I believe molester co is still a vagab bag very much.
Speaker 2: That week was all right.
Speaker 7: We all know.
Speaker 3: Country has been a bit of a rough patti lately, the.
Speaker 1: I believe it's referred to.
Speaker 3: But then all of a sudden, out of nowhere, Confederate flags start coming down, Supreme Court decisions supporting healthcare, fair housing, marriage equality.
Speaker 1: It was a display. It was a display.
Speaker 3: It was a display stunning, and it's in its alacrity and its completeness. Traditionally victimized communities granted the legal dignity that had been denied them so many years. Truly a moment of joy or or or to put that another way.
Speaker 13: Today some of the darkest twenty four hours in our nation's history.
Speaker 2: They're not they're not booing.
Speaker 14: They're saying, cruise, Why what is raw? The darkest twenty four What is wrong?
Speaker 3: The insurance exchanges remain open, Sir, and committed same sex couples can form lifelong society, stabilizing legally recognized bonds.
Speaker 1: Truly, Voldemort has risen, and the living will envy the dead that's a what.
Speaker 2: Is your worldview?
Speaker 3: And of course we need not take seriously the hyperbolic apocalyptic grantings of a.
Speaker 1: City United States Senator.
Speaker 3: Luckily for Senator Cruz, there were other survivors of good News Mageddon.
Speaker 15: It is a huge loss for a democracy.
Speaker 16: They essentially turn the US Constitution on its head, and I believe put a nail in the democratic process.
Speaker 5: There will be an effort to force people to conform.
Speaker 17: This is redefining a fundamental institution.
Speaker 18: Suppose three people say we want to be a marriage.
Speaker 19: We're three people and we love each other and we want to be marriage.
Speaker 20: What's to prevent that under this.
Speaker 3: Because people aren't born polygamists.
Speaker 2: You know, I knew even when I was five, I was different.
Speaker 3: While the other boys played with trucks and army men, I was figuring out bed sharing schedules with.
Speaker 1: Most of the lot. Not that there aren't real victims here.
Speaker 3: What happens to a florist who doesn't want to provide flowers to a gay wedding?
Speaker 17: Are they going to be forced either out of business like the florists the caterers of.
Speaker 13: An evangelic florists and bakers around the country who are coerced.
Speaker 7: Where does it stop enough?
Speaker 3: I am so tired of this old trope, this old stereotype about anti gay florists. It's all we ever hear about anti gay flores.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you something. Are some florists anti gay?
Speaker 14: Of course, there's truth in every stereotype, just like some scotsmen are stingy and some frenchmen wear striped shirts and carry around long breads.
Speaker 3: But not not All florists hate gay people.
Speaker 2: And it's time we accept that.
Speaker 3: The really weird part of the conservative reaction is when it stops being about the court making this decision and starts criticizing the idea of the court making any decision.
Speaker 8: Rixon Taurum said, today five unelected judges redefine the foundational unit of society. And what a crazy system to have the most important issues of our day decided by an elected lawyers.
Speaker 17: Five unelected black robe lawyer's rule. That is not the America that our founding fathers created?
Speaker 14: Then why did they put that article in the constitution?
Speaker 7: So why wouldn't that was long that.
Speaker 3: This is the stupidest So the founding fathers come up with this unbelievable idea for a country.
Speaker 1: Right, then some jackass.
Speaker 3: Throws in something about co equal branch government possesses judicial review over the constitutionality of legislation, and the founding fathers come.
Speaker 2: In the next day and they're like, put this in here? What is this?
Speaker 1: I told you we had Article one, two, and four.
Speaker 2: I don't know what three is.
Speaker 1: I don't know what that is.
Speaker 7: I didn't write that.
Speaker 1: What is wrong?
Speaker 3: Even some on the Supreme Court seem shocked that there is a Supreme Court.
Speaker 19: John Roberts quote, the majority's decision is an act of will, not legal judgment. The right it announces has no basis in the Constitution or this Court's precedent, adding, just who do we think we are?
Speaker 3: Perhaps it's time we go back to when a Supreme Court was just a court with extra sour cream.
Speaker 2: Did you know that that was the original court? Yeah, the original Supreme Court.
Speaker 3: The original Supreme Court was at court with extra shower spreads. I'm a good history teacher, and of course Justice Alito had to get in his arguments against the progress of humankind.
Speaker 19: Here's what Justice Alito said in his dissent. I assume that those who cling to old beliefs will be able to whisper their thoughts and the recesses of their homes. But if they repeat those views in public, they will risk being labeled as bigots and treated as such by governments, employers, and schools.
Speaker 1: Right, Oh, you mean that like it's a bad thing.
Speaker 2: Enough for nothing.
Speaker 3: I'd still like to be able to call ladies sugar tits without people going, you know, hey, slow down there, uncle creepy, that's your cardiologist. I mean, you know, why can't we just continue disliking and shunning the people we've always disliked and shunned. Everybody was always okay with it, but them look justice, as senators, your problem isn't judicial activism or overreach or politically correct policing. Your problem here is baldfaced out in the open, common sense experience. That's why you're not going to win the marriage equality fight.
Speaker 21: This.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about same sex marriage. I'm traditional, But what do you say to.
Speaker 21: A lesbian who's married or a gay man who's married, who says, Donald Trump, what's traditional about being married three times?
Speaker 1: Well, they have a very good point, yes they do.
Speaker 2: That's what point.
Speaker 3: You're not gonna win a marriage of qualitifight because even a man pathologically disposed to not understand other people's points of view.
Speaker 1: Unless it is also labeled Trump even he gets it, not that he doesn't.
Speaker 3: Try and set aside what went wrong with tradition in his particular case.
Speaker 15: But you know, I've been a very hard working person. My two wives were very good, and I don't blame them. I blame myself because my business was so powerful for me.
Speaker 2: Here's what I'm telling you.
Speaker 3: I am for traditional marriage, but to be fair to Trump, business is hotter than any wife.
Speaker 1: Could possibly be. Wouldn't you one of my golf courses. I think you would.
Speaker 3: All eighteen holes you've come back for more.
Speaker 13: Let's talk about the Supreme Courts, the only place where wearing a rope makes you more powerful. The Supreme Courts is one of the oldest institutions in American society, and after two hundred and thirty years, it's finally getting a fresh new face.
Speaker 18: Judge Katanji Brown Jackson cementing her place in history, becoming the first black woman to be confirmed to the Supreme Court.
Speaker 16: On this vote, the a's are fifty three, the nays a forty seven, and this nomination is confirmed.
Speaker 18: Cheers erupting in the chamber. Over at the White House, President Biden watching that final tally come in with the judge by his side.
Speaker 13: All right, okay, oh wow, he didn't know it's all row. Oh, this is exciting people.
Speaker 7: Finally a black woman will be on the Supreme Court.
Speaker 13: Wow. Wow, now this is happening just in time for the Court to eliminate all rights for black people and women.
Speaker 2: What are moments?
Speaker 22: Now?
Speaker 7: This is really incredible, man. Think about it.
Speaker 13: She will now be the most powerful black woman in the country to have her opinions entirely dismissed by two.
Speaker 7: Thirds of her coworkers.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 7: This is huge.
Speaker 13: And by the way, for anyone who wondered how much of an impact Katanji Brown Jackson would have, well she made history.
Speaker 7: From the moment she was confirmed.
Speaker 18: As Democrats rose to their feet with applause, Republicans headed for the door. Mid Romney of Utah one of three Republicans to vote yes, standing alone, the only GOP senator clapping.
Speaker 13: Really really, you know what, First of all, kudos to Mit Romney. Man, he's like, just decorum, you know, all those other assholes think about it. The first black woman since this country was founded gets confirmed to the Supreme Court, and you can't find it in you to stay and clap, just just clap even.
Speaker 7: Like a like a.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 13: I'm not saying you gotta throw your panties on the stage or anything. Just show some respect, just just some respect. Those Republicans ran out of the room like someone who's handing out free N word passes in the lobby. Oh boy, oh boy, I've always wanted to say that word, oh boy in public.
Speaker 7: Why would you leave?
Speaker 13: No one ever leaves, doesn't matter whether they like the person or not. Why would you leave the first black woman? And that's when you're gonna leave, I mean, and luckily, luckily the Republican hispyor couldn't spoil this historic moment, you know, because it's not every day that a black person in America gets sent to a court.
Speaker 7: They actually deserve to be in.
Speaker 13: And on FRIDAYKBJ she took her victory lap at the.
Speaker 22: White House tonight, celebrating history on the High Court Judge Katanji Brown Jackson and a moment centuries in the making.
Speaker 1: It has taken.
Speaker 11: Two hundred and thirty two years and one hundred and fifteen prior appointments for a black woman to be selected to serve on the Supreme Court of the United States.
Speaker 13: But we've made it.
Speaker 22: Jackson, a history maker and a barrier breaker, reciting the poetic words of Maya Angelou.
Speaker 11: I am the Dream and the hope, I'm.
Speaker 1: Slave and casting.
Speaker 22: This is a moment in which all Americans can take great pride.
Speaker 11: We have come a long way toward perfecting our union. In my family, it took just one generation to go from segregation to the Supreme Court.
Speaker 7: From segregation to the Supreme Court. WHOA, that was a line.
Speaker 13: I almost feel like, if you're a black person who succeeds, you've got double the pressure on you, you know, yeah, because you don't just have to perform, you've also got to come up with dope lines when you get the job.
Speaker 7: From segregation to the Supreme Court.
Speaker 1: What wo?
Speaker 13: That was powerful and that quote from Maya Angelo, All of it was fire. I mean, especially when you consider kavanaugh celebration where he just quoted the words of Captain Morgan. And by the way, by the way, props to President Biden for rocking those aviators during that speech.
Speaker 7: Yeah, way to make a historic moment look like a deleted scene from Top Gun.
Speaker 2: Mister president.
Speaker 7: You know, Biden only breaks those out when he's feeling his swagger.
Speaker 13: He's just like, oh yeah, his eyes are bleeding again.
Speaker 7: You never know which one it is.
Speaker 2: You never know.
Speaker 7: Let's get right into it.
Speaker 13: For the past few decades, conservatives in America have been chipping away at women's reproductive rights, and a few days ago they put the final nail in the coffin.
Speaker 23: Tonight, the landmark ruling the Supreme Court overturning Roe v. Wade taking away the constitutional right to abortion. The historic five to four decision overturning nearly fifty years of abortion rights, leaving the matter up to states now to decide.
Speaker 5: The ruling does not make abortion illegal, but it's no longer a constitutional right, so that leaves the issue up to each state. It's likely to become illegal soon in about half the nation. Some states have already banned as of tonight. The rest of the banded states are likely to follow in the coming weeks.
Speaker 13: That's right, the Supreme Court has officially overturned Roe v.
Speaker 1: Wade.
Speaker 13: And look, I know we expected it because the decision was leaked back in, but that doesn't make it any better.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 13: It's kind of like when as a kid you're acting up in the grocery store and your mom would tell you, Oh, I'm gonna whip your ass.
Speaker 5: When we get home.
Speaker 13: Yeah, you weren't like, oh sweet, I'm glad she told me first. That has softened the blow, because in some ways it almost made it worse. Right, we got to dread the day, and now that day is here, and honestly, it's kind of surreal.
Speaker 7: For fifty years, fifty.
Speaker 13: Years, women in America have had a constitutional right to an abortion, and now just like that, the Supreme Court has decided that it's finished. And by the way, the Constitution didn't change, right, Nicholas Cage didn't find a lost passage inside of a pyramid somewhere. The only thing that changed is that Donald Trump, of all people, managed to appoint three pro life justices to the Supreme Courts, judges who, by the way, went on and on in their confirmation hearings about how much they respect the important precedent of Roe versus Wade. And we all knew they were full of shit too, because, I mean, that's the same line you use whenever you book an Airbnb.
Speaker 7: I would never throw.
Speaker 13: A party, part party, party, am I even saying that right party.
Speaker 7: By the way, there's a hot tub in this house.
Speaker 13: Yeah, it seems like the only people on the planet who didn't realize what was happening with Joe Manchin and Susan Collins who now say that they were tricked, tricked, I tell you, by these judges. And by the way, why does Susan Collins never get tricked into improving healthcare or soul?
Speaker 7: Then climate change?
Speaker 2: Huh yeah, she's never like.
Speaker 13: Oh damn it, I accidentally canceled student loan debt.
Speaker 7: Get it together, Susan.
Speaker 13: And if the overturning wasn't bad enough, Justice QAnon himself Clarence Thomas wrote that he wants the court to reconsider the rights to gay marriage, gay sex, and contraception.
Speaker 7: Yeah, imagine that. This dude is so extreme.
Speaker 13: He's talking about banning rights I didn't even realize could be banned.
Speaker 7: He's gonna be reading the newspaper like.
Speaker 13: Justice Thomas wants to ban the right to engage in nipple play.
Speaker 7: Like at some point, you're not even a judge anymore. You just a cock block in a fancy robe. That's all you are.
Speaker 5: Hanging on everybody else.
Speaker 13: And by the way, By the way, the one ruling Clarence Thomas doesn't want to overturn and all the others that he mentioned is the right to interracial marriage. Yeah, which is a coincidence because he happens to be in an interracial marriage.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 13: I guess apparently if something affects Clarence Thomas personally, he's okay with It. Makes me think if we could just somehow get him impregnated by like a gay man, all of our problems will be solved.
Speaker 7: And by the way, that's just the joke.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 13: There's some right wing punditus is gonna be like he is Trevor O threatening to sodomize and impregnated a Supreme Court justice. Is that what he's doing? There are people standing outside he's house right now with a penis. Is that what he's doing.
Speaker 1: It's a joke.
Speaker 7: Calm down now.
Speaker 13: Despite the Supreme Court ruling to overturn Roe v. Wade, that doesn't mean people in America want abortion outlawed. And the reaction the reaction to friday Is ruling showed just how out of state the Supreme Court actually is.
Speaker 16: From Los Angeles to Cleveland and Huntsville, Alabama. Americans took to the streets nationwide over the weekend.
Speaker 19: The protests largely peaceful gatherings, once again outside the Justices DC area homes Friday and stretching from coast to coast.
Speaker 13: Today, thousands of pro abortion rights activists jammed New York City traffic for hours, others blocking a Los Angeles freeway.
Speaker 7: This decision, he's an outrage.
Speaker 9: This decision is absolutely terrifying.
Speaker 18: More than anything, it just makes me angry.
Speaker 13: Yeah, that's right, from New York to New Mexico. Millions around the country are furious, and rightfully so, because women in America just lost control over their own bodies, which I don't care who you are, is a horrifying thing to be faced with. I mean, Rudy Giuliani called the cops because someone touched his back without permission.
Speaker 7: Imagine if someone forced him to to give birth, huh. I mean, someone would have to have sex with him first. But you get the points. Don't sell what I'm saying.
Speaker 13: And after half a century of having that right, it's now being taken away, which is especially crazy when you consider that countries like Mexico and Ireland are moving forward in the opposite direction.
Speaker 7: You don't realize how weird that is.
Speaker 13: Right, Ireland has had violent conflicts between Christians and other Christians, and even they are looking at America like, don't you think you're taking it a wee bit too far with the Jesus stuff?
Speaker 7: He said, a little bit too crazy, don't you think.
Speaker 22: So?
Speaker 7: The Supreme Court is shutting everything down.
Speaker 13: People are rising up in the streets, and the Democrats, well, they responded in a way that only the Democrats can.
Speaker 7: Democrats are already looking to November.
Speaker 18: They have fundraising emails going out in response to this decision.
Speaker 7: They have a new website up.
Speaker 19: Speaker Nancy Pelosi looked downcast when she began her press conference.
Speaker 24: I am personally overwhelmed by this.
Speaker 3: From time to time, I quote.
Speaker 15: This poem, I had no other country, even though my land is burning.
Speaker 20: Michigan Congressman Andy Levin tweeted a photo of himself in a yoga pose, saying, quote, in a moment of intense anger, I turn inward. Let us release toxicity.
Speaker 13: I feel like that's the perfect yoga pose for democratic leadership. Very little action, and your head is basically up your own ass. Because I don't know if anybody voted for the performative aspect.
Speaker 7: People just want things done.
Speaker 13: No one cares about Kentech cloths or singing on the Capitol steps, and especially not poetry. All right, I feel like any moment now, Chuck Schumer is going to throw in a fake pregnant belly and just take a knee in the Capitol be like, we are all pregnant now and we're standing together.
Speaker 7: Why do Democrats do this? Why do they do this?
Speaker 13: Not once have I seen Mitch McConnell come out and sing.
Speaker 7: A song about how overwhelmed he is. He just gets things done. He never comes out like, oh, nobody knows got trouble.
Speaker 9: I've shared no.
Speaker 7: Every time he used his power to make a new rule.
Speaker 13: In fact, the president's can appoint judges if it's an election year and they're black.
Speaker 7: I didn't American black, No war, says God.
Speaker 13: In fact, watching the Democrats response and knowing, knowing that they had multiple opportunities to get ahead of this, it maybe think maybe voters should change things up. You know, maybe you should do a new thing in America. Instead of fundraising emails, maybe you should do fund rewarding emails. Right, yeah, make the Democrats show you what they've done, and then you donate to their cause instead of being like, donate, we'll.
Speaker 7: Do something, and then they don't.
Speaker 2: What are they doing?
Speaker 9: It's the same reason.
Speaker 13: It's the same reason I don't pay my barber before he does the job. Yeah, he'll get his money after I see what he does. With my headline, I'm not making that mistake again. And now, please don't get me wrong.
Speaker 2: Don't get me wrong.
Speaker 13: I'm not saying the Democrats are doing nothing. In response to this ruling. The Biden administration has said that it would fight any attempt to restrict access to abortion pills, regardless of state laws, and they'll protect people who travel out of state to get a legal abortion.
Speaker 7: Plus, the Senate's.
Speaker 13: Judiciary Committee says that they're going to hold a hearing next month to explore its options.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 13: Yeah, so they're coming through with both too little and too late.
Speaker 7: Very nice, very nice, the full range.
Speaker 13: Oh and in case, and in case you're wondering what Republican lawmakers think of telling women what they should do with their own bodies, well, they're celebrating the win of small government over the people. Cheers from anti abortion rights advocates, some celebrating the decision they've been working toward for decades.
Speaker 16: Over the weekend, President Trump took a victory lap on his conservative court appointments at a rally with Republican House Member Mary Miller, who made these controversial comments.
Speaker 8: I want to thank you for the historic victory for why life in the Supreme Court yesterday.
Speaker 9: A Utah state legislator is under fire for her remarks defending Utah's new abortion band.
Speaker 18: And my response is, I do trust women in that to control when they allow a man to ejaculate it so inside of them and to control that intake of semen.
Speaker 7: I'm sorry, I'm sorry.
Speaker 13: Did she say women should control the intake of semen? How by turning the little tap that's on the top of the penis?
Speaker 7: Is that turning that?
Speaker 9: Ah? That's enough.
Speaker 7: I don't want to get too pregnant.
Speaker 9: Aha ah.
Speaker 7: But other women with Trump that was even worse.
Speaker 13: She literally thanked Trump saving white life and to be fair, to be fair, she later said that she misspoke and meant to say right to life.
Speaker 7: But okay, here's the thing.
Speaker 13: Even if she misspoke, she still just kept on talking without fixing it. It's like she heard herself call it a victory for white life and thought, yeah, that sounds like something I would say.
Speaker 7: Yeah, let's stick with that.
Speaker 13: What's even worse is that the Trump supporters applauded her. Even if we give her the benefit of the doubts, the reaction from the crowd is pretty telling, right. I Mean, it's one thing for a person to accidentally rip a fart in an elevator, but it's way worse if everyone else in the elevator goes.
Speaker 7: Oh, yeah, yeah, that's the good stuff. Yeah, we like that, we like that a lot.
Speaker 13: So yeah, pro life is a feeling pretty good right now. But if you think that Robe being dead is the end of the story, and you think the right wing is going to take their bibles and go home, think again, because they're saying.
Speaker 7: That this is just the beginning.
Speaker 24: Some and bolden House Republicans want to take this one step further by pushing legislation to ban abortion at fifteen weeks nationwide. We know that former Vice President Mike Pants, who wants to run for president, supports a nationwide ban on abortion.
Speaker 12: Another big question is over the abortion pill, as it's called. Some states may want to target that medication.
Speaker 21: In the states that ban abortion, it is illegal to get those pills from a doctor, and some states are trying to go further and also ban receiving the pills by mail from a state where they're legal.
Speaker 13: Yeah, you see, conservative extremists aren't going to stop fighting just because they got roll overturned.
Speaker 7: They just won a huge victory. Why would they quit now?
Speaker 13: When a team scores a touchdown, they don't just walk off the field congratulating each other, you know, I mean, the New York Jets do, but the rest of the teams they keep trying to run up the score. And that's what these people have their site sets on. Because first it was no late term abortions. Oh okay, well it seems reasonable. Then it was no abortion after twenty three weeks, then fifteen weeks, then six, now zero.
Speaker 7: What's next?
Speaker 13: Or they're gonna make tiny little handcuffs to arrest every sperm that didn't fertilize an eggs.
Speaker 7: That'll be now, maybe next.
Speaker 13: Time you'll think twice before ending up in a sock instead of a vagina.
Speaker 2: Hauh.
Speaker 13: And I know, I know many people around the country feel infuriates, it depressed and like there's no hope, But there is there really is. First of all, there are many organizations, grossroots organizations on the ground who have already been helping women who couldn't get an abortion because they lived in some of these most extreme states. So you can donate to them, or you can volunteer. And as for the Democrats in power, there is something you can actually do. Yeah, here, I actually wrote you a poem.
Speaker 7: Roses are red, violets are blue. The people voted, So how about doing your job.
Speaker 13: And passing laws to codify contraception, marriage equality, and all the other rights of Supreme Court is basically threatened to take away and show are you?
Speaker 6: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 9: Watch The Daily Show weeknights at eleven.
Speaker 13: Ten Central on Comedy Central.
Speaker 7: And stream full episodes anytime on Paramount Plus.
Speaker 2: This has been a Comedy Central podcastow