Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to this episode of BBL Trendy. BBL Trendy that is courtesy of Brian the editor, and it is no, it's timely. It's because we got BBL trending again thanks to Inside the NBA always there for us in a pitch. Yeah, yeah, so BBL Chuck is trending because there's this moment I think it was after the Minnesota game where they were talking about Chuck the ass. For some reason, you had all that ass back there, Chuck, BBL Chuck, and then they all laughed as they faded to commercial break. Fortunately, the other piece of news about Inside the NBA is that Chuck has said that if the show goes away, he might put the crew back together himself with his own production company.
Speaker 2: Hmmm, how does that work?
Speaker 1: Well, so somebody was pointing out that like Inside Stuff, that NBA show was on NBC in the nineties, ABC and the Oughts and NBA TV in the twenty tens.
Speaker 2: Yeah, with a motor shot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I mean there's been shows where they're able to like keep the crew together in different Yeah, but wouldn't.
Speaker 3: You still have to have some kind of like licensing agreement with the league to like play footage and do all that kind of stuff or I guess not.
Speaker 1: I mean, well, I guess Inside stuff was able to do it, right, Yeah, just spread it around. I mean, if there's a good product that makes sense and is good marketing for the league, then it would be wild if they chose to like no longer have Inside the NBA. Like, I feel like it's widely agreed that that's.
Speaker 3: One of the best things about the NBA's like TV covers like, yeah.
Speaker 1: The best sports show on television, it's one of the best shows on television.
Speaker 3: But hey, look, I wouldn't count out a major network to even though that may be true, then be like, nah, we know better.
Speaker 1: We actually know better. We're going to put Steven A. Smith, Reggie Miller, and Bob Costas and move together and along with watch.
Speaker 3: A Spark Yeah Ai Michael Jordan's dad, and I think we're really going to have a really interesting show that people are gonna want to tune into.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you, people.
Speaker 1: Know what Inside the NBA is, right even though this isn't our sports our NBA podcast, yeah, our sports podcast.
Speaker 3: Yeah no, no, No, I mean, look, it's if you're ever watching TNT and you see Shaq talking and Charles Barkley, that's that show.
Speaker 1: That's that show. It's a lot of fun. They're just it has the vibe of a podcast, but it's a TV show. Yeah, for some reason, they're the only people who have been able to pull that off.
Speaker 2: I mean, credit to Charles Barkley.
Speaker 3: I mean, despite the fact that he has an answer for throwing in poor immigrant man through a window and nearly killing him, but he is very conscious of morale on the set, which I can only imagine, like for all the people, like the talent will be fine, they're going to land on their feet, but like they've been doing the show so long, it sounds like Charles Barkley is also concerned, like all the crew that make the show possible being in limbo.
Speaker 2: So it feels like he's.
Speaker 3: Trying to make do good by them to be like, we're gonna find a way to keep this thing going, so you.
Speaker 1: Know, we shall see, we shall see the real blunder if somebody wasn't able to figure out a way to keep it going. But anyways, just another the lasting impact of that was it Metro who put up BBL Drake.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh, well BBL drizzy metro Boomy. He made the beat and then said, this is a free beat for everybody to make their own.
Speaker 2: Drake distract.
Speaker 3: The best one gets ten thousand dollars and a beat from me or something like that. But it all started with a AI comedian guy who made this like fake soul track that was the basis for the sample.
Speaker 2: That metro Boomin used. Yeah, yeah, it's sillonious.
Speaker 1: It is probably the best thing AI has done yet to this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, next to the concept of what that Willy Wonka experience in Glasgow, that's a close second.
Speaker 1: Say yeah, is that one? That one? That one's a whole like concept art, Yeah, performance art, just amazing cluster fuck of like meaning and human sadness and all these different layers. So many layers to this ship, so many layers. Hey, well, speaking of AI, let's move on to something that isn't the best thing that AI has done. The wearable startup Humane. You might have heard of this. This was like a pin that projected ship onto your hands.
Speaker 2: And had AI launched in.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It was basically like a star Trek, you know, chest communicator module that like used magnets to like kind of like attached to your clothes, and you could do all kinds of voice prompts like you could you could have it interpret what you're hearing into languages or what you're saying into other languages. It could, you know, basically do anything chat GPT can do using voice prompts, like you know, give you a summary of like what are the best fucking exercise habits is a long distance, right, you're describing is what it could do, and in the in the demonstrations, it would do this stuff right, but then like you start digging into the details and that's where it, you know, kind of this is where it kind of started falling apart because the second reviewers got their hands on it, this ship was dead on a rival because they were like, what the fuck is this? It's like seven hundred dollars. You need a twenty four dollars a month subscription fee because it needs to be on Wi Fi all the time, So if you're not on a Wi Fi network then you need to get this SIM card. And then if you leave the country, that's an extra fee. Which for people who are like, oh, that interpretation interpreter thing would be cool if I travel, it's like, well then there's like a roaming fee.
Speaker 1: Yeah, actually I can't do that, sorry.
Speaker 3: And the second you don't pay for a subscription, that basically you basically brick the thing and it's useless. So I mean, like there was a lot of hype because like again it was it was promising really interesting things. But yeah, like again, once people started using it, they're like, yo, this ship is so heavy, Like I can't wear a T shirt and like have this heavy ass thing on.
Speaker 2: It's like pulling my collar down.
Speaker 1: What if an Apple watch just had to be pinned to your T shirt anything watch?
Speaker 2: Because that's the thing. They're like, well, what's the display?
Speaker 3: There was like a seven to twenty p sort of like you know, a projector that you would project onto your hand and you would use gestures to like select things, and it looked pretty intuitive, but again, the ship did not work well in daylight, so you're like, oh, I need to go to a shadowy corner so I can see the projection on my hand.
Speaker 2: And again a lot of people are.
Speaker 1: Like, you're going to use this thing in daylight? Come on. I feel like most of the time, I just I feel for reasons to criticize it, where other people are calling it a dead on arrival. You know, it's like they nailed the arrival so hard it's dead on dead, And that is what that means. You're just looking for negative.
Speaker 3: To I don't know if you remember the film by Danny ville Neve Arrival, you remember how like that one dude was like babbling and shaking because he was so thrown off by being near the aliens.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what this shit is.
Speaker 3: You're going to be dead on arrival because you've never you can't even fucking fathom what this thing does.
Speaker 2: So anyway, cut to this being like a total l.
Speaker 3: The company is now the people who are behind the company, who are like former Apple guys, they're trying to flog the company now for a sale price between seven hundred and fifty million and one billion dollars.
Speaker 1: But okay, this is their only We all know, Miles, We all know that. You know, like, if you don't succeed at first, that doesn't mean like that your next product that you have in the shop that you're kind of ticking and away at right right right, you know, the just because the Apple Adam didn't work didn't mean that, like the iPhone wasn't good so like, obviously you got a price point of like close to a billion dollars. They have something in the lab that like is gonna blow ourn is.
Speaker 2: The thing that was kind of like our one big idea.
Speaker 1: They have no other ideas, this shitty one. We were all in on this all they had and they're like, all right, fine, you twisted our arm. We'll give it to you for a billion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, any other ideas one, na, Just you guys make it work for a billion.
Speaker 3: Now. Anyway, that AI you're up, you're down, you're up, you're down. With a down up, You're down, you're up, you're down.
Speaker 1: The other AI gadget, the rabbit R one, was part of an nf T scam. Some people are saying, Brian the editor is.
Speaker 3: Stop stop shining light on this stuff, man, you know, just let's just be happy we got these cool like a transponder device from the side.
Speaker 1: When will you guys be happy? They're saying it's a.
Speaker 4: Dead on this thing, dead on No, Like it doesn't even work selectively quote dead on asterisk.
Speaker 2: Arrival at the bottom of final.
Speaker 1: All right, there's this new I think Reuters or AP story about fact. Yeah, it's from the AP they're talking about the fact that Laura Trump is basically the second in charge of the r n C or the top person like the depending on who you ask. And I think I knew that, but I just like, hadn't it just like hit me again processed Eric Trump's wife, Like yeah, yeah, yeah, television producer, not of like Peabody Award winning tech like not a just like somebody who worked in media is now the head of the Republican Party co chair, you know, but yeah, yeah, second the number two after a lot. But yeah, it just like hit drove home again, like how much you know?
Speaker 3: Hold on, dude, you know what she was, you know what the show she produced right inside edition, So like.
Speaker 2: She's got a fucking head on, you.
Speaker 1: Know what I mean?
Speaker 2: You remember that story about the lady who.
Speaker 3: Says she couldn't be that cheerleader who couldn't walk, who couldn't walk normal after she got a flu shot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I don't know if that.
Speaker 3: Was actually the one she worked on, but that's the that's the level of journalism that she was working on, if you want to call it that.
Speaker 1: But yeah, it really feels like nothing, like what would he have to do at this point for everybody to stop and be like, wait, what the fuck is happened? Yeah, you know, like it's I always talk about, like, you know, the German people in media were all about talking about the Nazis when they first came to power, and then ten years later when they actually like came to power and like took over, like everyone was like, yeah, no, we get it, we know, no, we know about these guys.
Speaker 2: We know they're creating weird.
Speaker 1: So like if Trump had tried to make Eric Trump's wife the head of the Republican Party during his first administration, that would have been a major scandal, Like there would have been think it's like all anyone would talk about. Yeah, and you know we freaked out when he fired James Comey for not being loyal, but he didn't like try to replace him with Eric Trump.
Speaker 3: Well, you know those aren't political appointees, so maybe the weight is a little bit different. But yeah, it's so cynical, right because the head of the head of the RNC, the chairman is Michael Wyley, who used to run the North Carolina Republican Party, and he's like a huge stop to steal guy, so like it makes sense. He's a flunky, like he'll do what he's told. But the co chair specifically, like the chair person is the one who's like doing all the day to day operations, like actually making sure it semi functions. But the co chair is like the rah, rah, let me get get them check books out person, which is where Laura Trump comes in. And you know, the whole thing was, I'm I'm in there because now I can direct all of the funds that the RNC generates just to Donald Trump and to offset all these legal costs. And you know, it's a double edged sword because everyone, anyone who isn't Donald Trump who would rely on funding from the RNC is like, uh, like, we're also running.
Speaker 2: For office as Republicans.
Speaker 3: And good use catch Like yeah, more on that later, dickhead. We got to pay for his fucking lawyers fucking lunch.
Speaker 1: She calls so many people point dexter while bouncing things off their forehead when talking to.
Speaker 2: Them, Yeah, flicking.
Speaker 1: I don't know, it just it feels like this is working. Like as his behavior gets more flagrant, it's just because we have more flagrant behavior in the rear view, it gets harder for people to be like, wait, what the fuck is going on, you know, yeah, yeah, I don't know, the insurrection, like a straight up impeachable offense that he like got impeached for and then like nothing really happened, uh the successful overturning of Roe V. Wade, Like, uh, like we have all that in the rear views. So now it's just by the way, I'm not I'm not proud to I was like, maybe we might need to come up with a new word for what he has here, like a neptocracy, a nepotocracy, like some where someone like tries to use like past power just via familial ties. And that I realized that's called a monarchy. That's just yeah.
Speaker 3: Or you know all the people like look at the Bushes, the Kennedys, like the fucking you know, uh, what's who is the who is Darth Vagington?
Speaker 1: Yeahlinton, Yeah, I guess it's not that abnormal. Who the fuck?
Speaker 2: Who is the Cheney? You know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Like everybody's it all goes downstream. Look at it, like, you know, Ronni McDaniel was Mitt Romney's niece.
Speaker 2: That's what you're still on the RNC.
Speaker 3: So it's a neptocracy wrapped in a monarchy. Wrapped in a kleptocracy and all of it's everything. It's everything, It's everything.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it's wild. When you go to the rn C page and you click donate, it goes to Trump's website. Yeah, they're like, you're giving me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, why shouldn't it. You got a problem with that man?
Speaker 3: Nine out of ten, you know, it's ninety percent goes to Trump, ten percent goes to whatever.
Speaker 2: The RNC needs.
Speaker 1: More on that later. Let's take a quick break. We'll be right back, and we're back and we have an update on Graceland.
Speaker 2: The saga is, so what happened?
Speaker 1: Democracy dies in the darkness? We shined a light on this and they got to the bottom of it.
Speaker 2: Boom. You heard about it earlier today in the episode.
Speaker 3: But yeah, that the whole thing between Riley Keo, the granddaughter of Elvis, and this like weird ass company like Nasony Holdings or whatever the fuck that company was called, who claimed like we gave a three point eight million dollar loan to Lisa Marie Presley and basically she owes us money.
Speaker 2: So now we own Graceland.
Speaker 3: And obviously, when we're talking about episode, like the documents stunk of a forgery, especially when the notary was like, that's I was never here for that and this has.
Speaker 1: Never met baith Mary Presley. I don't know, I don't recognize these documents.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: Plus these documents are made of crackers. Hey, hey, those are tickets.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so apparently you know, the judge ruled in Riley Kyo favor, surprise, surprise, and then Nasity now said in an email to the Associated Press that it would be quote withdrawing all claims with prejudice, and told the AP that it was dropping the case because both the loan and a critical document had been filed in another state, meaning the company would have.
Speaker 2: To take legal action in multiple states.
Speaker 3: Like, rather than just taking the l and being like yeah, yeah, we we swung and a big old fake actually.
Speaker 1: Right, decided we're actually withdrawing it for other reasons that have nothing to do with the fact that it's fraud. So I don't know what you guys are freaking out? Okay, what everybody needs to shut the fuck up.
Speaker 2: Well, the court said there were no validity to your claims. Is that maybe the reason why? That's probably why.
Speaker 3: No, it's because the documents were in other states and so like, I'm gonna have to like talk to my other friend in like Mississippi, Florida's.
Speaker 1: Just trailed off.
Speaker 2: Are you saying I just said I'm gonna own it.
Speaker 1: Did you walk away from your phone for a second?
Speaker 2: No, hold on, dude, my mom's calling me. Dude, I'm sorry, she's old. Dude. I gotta go, I gotta go.
Speaker 1: But at least we learned that Elvis Presley Enterprises exists and gets tax money from the city of from the very poor city of Memphis for upkeep and eventually building a stadium and a warehouse and factory Chia pets, so.
Speaker 2: Oh Man shut out to Chias.
Speaker 1: Fuck the lapd t shirts have sold out thanks to police threat. So this is the latest example of streisand effect. A leftist T shirt company called the Kola Corporation recently started selling shirts that read fuck the lapd but in the style of the Lakers logo. YA very cool shirt. I highly recommend people check it out. The shirts led to the company receiving a legal threat from IMG Worldwide. The entertainment company represented UH the popular entertainment brand the Los Angeles Police Foundation, who claim to hold the rights to the lapd ip Hey, the LAPU is the lap d's secretive, multi million dollar private funding arm, which has purchased surveillance tech, robots, drones, volunteer licenses, all sorts of nice little gifts for the LAPD. And the way that they get all that money that they can fund that shit with is partly through the sale of merchandise.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hell yeah, hell, hell yeah. That's what it's all.
Speaker 1: You know, my one hundred and five dollars LAPD ash trays a real thing for sale that you can get.
Speaker 3: What about for those of us who celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ, have about a bullet ornament.
Speaker 1: It's just it's like a peer remid of six bullets stacked on top of each other, like with with L a p D like a little LAPD tag on it.
Speaker 3: For some reason, it's a little grim because like these are spent shellcasings, Like they're not full bullets, like spent shell casings. So it's like, what are these Like these all represent a life of a person who is needlessly killed by the police. Yeah, but I don't know, I don't know. I mean, it only cost twenty bucks, so it might be. But yeah, like it's it is just wild to be like, why why does the LAPD have like a brand division, you.
Speaker 1: Know what, so that they can sell more l a p D branded surfboard coins with guns for fins, which is a word that's a real product that I couldn't find, but that is in the description of of like their branding offerings. An l a p D branded surf board board with coin with guns for fins.
Speaker 2: Okay, cool? Cool?
Speaker 1: Yeah there cool Miles. Yeah, I'm glad you agree. Yeah, yeah, I like that.
Speaker 2: I like that.
Speaker 1: In New York, the NYPD logo has been branded on officially licensed T shirts sold in stores like Nordstrom and a graphic apparel brand T and Cake. Who Uh. There's a great Instagram post that our writer Jam found where the NYPD hoodie was being sold on Instagram with the message Freeze You're arrested for loving our NYPD sweat so much?
Speaker 2: Oh fuck off Freeze.
Speaker 3: And it just it's like the doofiest looking hoodie.
Speaker 2: It just says NYPD on.
Speaker 1: It, Like I mean, the internet is just full of like, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fake like weird merchch that it just appears with letters on it. But yeah, I guess this.
Speaker 3: I didn't realize that this was kind of a new thing, like of like turning a police department into a commercial entity to generate revenue.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so the formal commercialization of police departments is a relatively started with the LAPD when they registered their name, badge, and motto with the US Patent and Trademark Office in ninety eight, and that city was inspired by the fact that the FBI and NSA both already held trademark registrations for their logos, which rose like which sparked the question in my mind, are those female Body Inspector t shirts making money for the actual FBI?
Speaker 3: Maybe I'd imagine there's parody law that would apply there, because you're not okay, you're explicitly saying this FBI is not the Federal Bureau of Investigator. You're saying it's female. I don't know who knows. Maybe it's a fucking op and we're all just being like, dude, fucking you're giving money the FEDS with that female Body Inspector shirt you put on the boardwalk.
Speaker 1: Like, I tried to google it and I couldn't find anything other than a web page for very stupid people asking is.
Speaker 2: That really what FBI stand for?
Speaker 1: Then being like, no, FBI doesn't stand for Female Body Inspector.
Speaker 3: It might in a new Trump term, though you never know, you never know, you never know.
Speaker 1: But yeah, so I don't know. So I mean the like these are taxpayer funded organizations, they don't have like you're not supposed to be able to sell branded products for anything that like has no competitors. Yeah, it's just not a business like yeah, exactly not just NOA doesn't know what do they need the copyright protection for. Yeah. The one place that we've seen this be used very lucratively was the New York City Fire Department, who registered with the Patent and Trademark Office in you're never going to guess.
Speaker 2: Well, let me guess. So if LAPD did in ninety eight, I don't know, like ninety.
Speaker 1: Nine, November two thousand and one, what happened, Well right after the summer of the shark wow, yeah, yeah, no, right after nine to eleven they realized they could cash in, so that holiday season they were a gear. It just like manufacturing and selling gear ny or f ypd n Y fd gear all over the place.
Speaker 3: F d n Y actually fdn Y yeah, respect respect. That's just so funny. How like I mean it makes total sense too. They're like, oh, we can cash in on this because apparently I get it too. Like this, they were probably seeing other people. They're like, yo, other people are selling fucking shit with our fucking name on it.
Speaker 2: Now you need to fucking elbow them out the market.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's exactly what happened. So the FDNY was like, we're seeing so many people like so their official merch only come comprised like one quarter of the market. So the government started sending out seasoned assist letters, and then the vendors like kind of we're like, what the fuck are you talking about? And in this case, in the LAPD thing, the like it's not even in the font of the LAPD right, so like they're claiming ownership of the letters LAPD.
Speaker 2: Right right right, you can't copyright.
Speaker 1: For letters like that's The lawyer for the T shirt company, by the way, responded with a letter that simply read, lol no will common No, no.
Speaker 2: You're ce desist letter.
Speaker 3: Well ah fuck, And then now I think they're called our bluff shit, what do we do now?
Speaker 2: Oh no? Tom Morello retweeted the guy who owns the company's tweet about the LAPD Ceason desist letter. Is that good?
Speaker 1: H It's good for them because, uh, not only was the threat from the lawyer's total bullshit, it completely backfired and the fuck the lapd shirt got way more clicks than it ever would have otherwise totally sold out. The site is now struggling to keep items in stock as a result, chalking the success up to the Streisand Effect.
Speaker 3: So, man, love love a good that's are your weekly I guess Gina Reinhart effect.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Gena Rhinehart.
Speaker 2: We're trying hard. We're trying hard to take it back. We're trying hard.
Speaker 1: I don't think it's gonna happen because I couldn't even I'm the one who raised the idea of changing the art effect. I couldn't even pull that name. It's going to be the Strisand effect, folks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're like, it's the Earnhart effect.
Speaker 1: E three. All right, those are some of the things that are trending on this Thursday afternoon. We are back tomorrow with a whole last episode of the show. Until then, be kind to each other, be kind to yourselves, get the vaccine, don't do nothing about white supremacy, and we will talk to you all tomorrow, Bye bright