Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: If you're not chiefed out, you will be in two weeks. Welcome to the program. It's a Monday Best and Worst of the weekend. What you saw that you liked you didn't like, you can dial us up. Operator Tyler sitting by you take your phone calls. Staut of the Day brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show. Good morning. If you're watching on Peacock, thank you for downloading the app. And if you're watching on Peacock, you'll see that is not Seatan in the back row with Fritzy. That's Dylan, the graphics guy, also part of the Gambling podcast, and he's sitting in where Seaton normally is because Seaton's on the road with the French Kid in the Maco van heading down to New Orleans. And you'll be able to go to Danpatrick dot com to follow along with their journey. It's almost like you're waiting for your Uber driver with Seatan and the French Kid and they'll be driving to New Orleans. They're supposed to be there by Friday. Dylan's responsibilities and this is this is all we're supposed to do, and that's the poll question today. We're going to ease into this. We're going to see if you're ready for your your close up. It's the big first step. Yes it is. Okay. So pole question from the first hour was more off season.
Speaker 3: Pain, Bill's Lions or other? Okay, and currently the Bills are actually cleaning up fifty seven percent of the vote there.
Speaker 2: All right, that's probably recentcy bias, but I get it. I don't think there's a wrong answer in that. Now, what's poll question for hour two?
Speaker 4: Hour two?
Speaker 3: We are going to do? This is actually one that I thought of.
Speaker 5: Then, Oh that's okay, yeah, yeah, all right.
Speaker 2: What were you rooting for?
Speaker 3: More Bill's Mafia to make it to the super Bowl or Dan Snyder to have to watch.
Speaker 2: The Commanders make it to the Super Bowl? Bill's Mafia in New Orleans. Absolutely, it's going to be a bummer.
Speaker 3: They won't be down there.
Speaker 2: Yes, I don't care about Dan Snyder. I'm I'm glad that he's twisted up and tormented somewhere on his two hundred million dollar yacht. I mean, would I enjoy it only if I got to see him in pain? If you had Dan Cam and he's there on his yacht and he's watching throwing the remote at the TV, that'd be good. But an ESPN dot com, I think Don Van Nada had a really really deep dive on the former Washington owner and how miserable he is. Oh, boo hoo, so miserable. I'm lying here my six hundred million billion dollar yacht bed that I have here, it's stuffed with billions. Boo hoo. We'll do fill in the blank here coming up. Lewis Riddick from the Mothership will stop by as well. The early betting line with DraftKings Chiefs favored by one and a half over under is forty nine and a half, and the odds to win the Super Bowl MVP it's Patrick Mahomes followed by Saquon Barkley and Jalen Hurts. We talked to Booger McFarlane on Friday and I said, what's the key, Buffalo, what's their key? What's the commander's key? And the one thing that I, you know, I kept thinking back, is yeah, your job is to stop Saquon Barkley. And they did a pretty good job. But it's almost like, hey, we got that guy out four times, but the fifth time he hit a grand slam. So he's won for five, but he had a grand slam. That's kind of what Saquon Barkley has done. He'll go one for five, but that one is sixty and those I mean, you just start the game and there he goes. But I mean he didn't have an incredible amount of yards, but he did score touchdowns. Jalen Hurts really was That's as good a game as he's had, probably since the Super Bowl. And then you get that defense is really I mean, it's just a That's why I said probably since week they're the best team in football because of the offensive and defensive line. It's you know, a far as trying to beat Kansas City. Having the opportunity with the ball in your hands three and a half minutes to go, you're down three with three timeouts. That's what you want. I got Josh Allen. If you said, hey, this is what is going to come down to, I'm going to say Buffalo's going to win. Keep him off the field, go down there, score a touchdown, you go to the super Bowl. That's what you want as an MVP. You want that that opportunity. I want the ball in my hands. Well we know how that worked out. Mahomes once again proved that he is the ultimate eracer when you think of that guy's got the ball in his hands, game on the line, Tom Brady, Joe Montana, John Elway. You know, there's a few of those players on a short list there. But he has twelve postseason games and he's had twelve career postseason trailing by one possession. In those twelve career postseason drives trailing by one possession, he has engineered six go ahead touchdowns, five game tying field goals, and just one punt. So it's not just clutch that's historic and the ability to rise above the chaos do the right thing at the right time. He doesn't get the style points that he once did, but he's not trying. That's not important. He truly understands if we win, then he wins, and he is trying to get into Michael Jordan category of three peating. I'm sure Tom Brady's in the back of his mind of I can get there, but to go three peat now, all of a sudden, that's just different. It's rarefied air. I mean, this is once you want that opportunity to do something nobody else has done, and getting that opportunity in the Super Bowl. It's not about hey, did you see how many touchdown passes or what I mean? He was more dangerous as a runner yesterday, again picking the right place at the right time and doing the right thing and not trying to do more. Josh Allen tried to do more yesterday, and during the regular season he didn't. It was if we win, then I win. And James Cook I thought they were going to ride him and that was going to be the difference. But I go back to what I saw with Derek Henring. You know, you used him in the third quarter, you went all the way down for a touchdown, and then didn't use him after that. James Cook had what thirteen carries? I need the ball. I just wanted. I wanted him to shoulder a little more of the responsibility. Now, maybe he was banged up, but he averaged six yards per care so that was a little bit surprising. All right, there's a piece of sound I want. Here is the fourth down, fourth quarter call as the Chiefs stop the Bills quorbit motion.
Speaker 4: Now peels back to the left.
Speaker 2: He's for chasing Tosh Tallen.
Speaker 6: He throws it up for grabs and the passes in cop played in com play off the arm of the would be receiver Dalton Kinkaid. Jarn Sau City has the second fourth down stop in this half.
Speaker 2: That was the ninety six point five The fan the Chiefs Radio Network Patrick Mahomes after the game talked about all of his postseason victories.
Speaker 7: Patrick's seventeen postseason win now second olds back.
Speaker 4: I didn't know history.
Speaker 2: Just how does that feel at the story?
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's I mean, it's obviously really cool. That's your goal is to win in the postseason, not him blessed being a lot of great football teams with a lot of great coaches. Is in a great organization, and I just try to maximize every moment because you never know what's gonna be your last one. I know I'm a long way from Tom, so I'll trying to do whatever I can to get close.
Speaker 2: To that you could have had this last year or the year before. Where he's asked this question, it's just it's on repeat and he'll probably be saying the same thing next year. Seaton's back on the road with Mako go to Danpatrick dot com follow the road trip to New Orleans. Most cars on the road could use a little TLC. At Maco. They bring your car back to life with affordable paint chomps like collision repairs. Get a free estimate today. Uh oh better get Maco. Did a great job with the van. Looks beautiful and seating. And the French kid are on the road all right. Eight seven to seven three DP show a couple of phone calls. Gus in La. We have fill in the blank to bring you as well. Hi Gus, welcome back.
Speaker 9: Good morning, mister Patrick. Hope and the boys had a great weekend. Hey, let me tell you if Dylan's outfit is any indicative how the week's going to go. We are in for an epic week of Dylan. Let me tell you a beautiful o't thing he's got going on. Lulo's pan anyway, little many of many best of the week and the Washington Commanders. Hey you know somewhere James in Virginia. I hope you're smiling, brother. That was an incredible year. How many times do we go from number two overall draft pick I don't know, Heisman bus maybe to one win shot of the super Bowl. You know, I hate saying, you know it's a moral victory or whatever, but the whole season played with house money and they almost hate it. Awesome, great to see. Best of the weekend. I got to give it up to say Kwon Barkley. You know, another one where it's like, did anybody see this coming? You know, maybe you know the Philly Faithful thought coming, but nobody else. Did you know he leaves New York? You know, was it a bus or whatever to him to now be playing for the Super Bowl on his birthday of all days. I mean, you can't script it better than that. And you know what, no worse to the weekend. I said it worse to Tyler. But you know what, we had rain out here this weekend. Everybody was in the streets of LA like Tim Robbins at the end, Shaw take redemption. It was beautiful this weekend to get some rain out here. Loved it. You boys have a great week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just worry about the mud slides, but yeah, glad they got some rain in Los Angeles. Zach and Knoxville. Hey Zach, what's on your mind?
Speaker 10: Hey DP, thanks for taking my call. Just the best and worst of the weekend. As guys said, it was the weekend of moral victories.
Speaker 4: For me.
Speaker 10: My Huskies lost to the Xavier fighting Chili Spaghettis, but Aiden Mahaney with fourteen and three and three off the bench is going to be my best of the weekend. And my worst of the weekend is Marshawn Lattimore and how much effort he put in after the whistle. If he would just put in a little more effort during the play, he might have been able to stop A. J. Brown a couple of times.
Speaker 2: Fighting is silly in football. He got helmets on. It's just silly. You see that? And you know, guys get caught up in oh would you say? And then you know Travis Kelcey talks some trash and like, I get the trash talking, I don't get the physical altercation or the potential for that. Jeff in La, Hi, Jeff, what's on your mind?
Speaker 9: Hey?
Speaker 7: Morning? That first time on Time five seven, one sixty. So I'm gonna start off with my worst of the weekend is I have the Commanders in the playoff pool. I was hoping for a sender on the story that didn't happen. But best of the weekend is my wife went into labors. So I'm Curry in the delivery room with my wife waiting for all store.
Speaker 2: Oh so when's the baby do.
Speaker 7: Probably in the next couple of hours.
Speaker 2: Okay, how's mom feeling?
Speaker 7: She's good, she's actually on peak. I listening to you while I'm in the bathroom.
Speaker 2: Oh and what's her name?
Speaker 4: Jessica?
Speaker 2: Jessica. Yeah, hey, Jessica. Be nice to Jeff. He's going to do his best. He's going to be there for you words of encouragement. But if you do need to yell at him, you have my permission and good luck. Okay, good luck, Jeff, Thank you.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've been there four times. You're never quite sure what the script is. Yeah. Hey, oh okay, I won't say anything. Hey, would you like some some sugar cubes or whatever? The ice chips there?
Speaker 4: Get away from me?
Speaker 2: Uh you did this to me?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: Boy.
Speaker 11: You know what nobody prepares you for is the first night you sleep in the hospital after you and your wife have a child.
Speaker 2: The man, the gentleman.
Speaker 11: Now, I'm not complaining because my wife did ninety nine percent of the work. They put you in that folding chair with the wooden arms that was built in nineteen seventy two. It's the least comfortable night of your entire life physically, if you can bring a couple of pillows or maybe a temp you know, like some type of you know, pad or something like that.
Speaker 2: I don't know if this is a good take by you.
Speaker 11: Oh it is well, I believe me. That's the only downside. Yeah, it's not a physically.
Speaker 2: I don't think this go over well with the women, lad, Yeah, not at all. I love someone has to speak up for I think we do this privately. I don't know if you're gonna someone had It had to be said. It had to be said, yes, Todd.
Speaker 12: And then you're in a situation where it could be too late for the epidural. That was one of the situations we were in. You have a certain window.
Speaker 2: Wait, you were getting an epidural. I should have.
Speaker 12: Gotten one because I don't handle those situations very well. But once you get past a certain window, you gotta do it natural. No matter how much pain you're in. They can't give it to you because it's dangerous.
Speaker 2: Yeah I had one of those two.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Hey, I don't want an epidural, all right, I need an epidural. It's too late. And then you're like, there's nothing I can I can bribe the doctor. I can't do anything. Yes, mart, Uh, this is advice for all the guys. Don't eat low Maine. Then go back up to the delivery room.
Speaker 11: Very specific.
Speaker 2: Yeah, wow, that's asking a lot. Just l man or dere noodle, just low Maine. Because when I came back, my wife's like, you have Chinese Chris and Sacramento. Hi Chris, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 4: WHOA?
Speaker 7: Thanks for taking my call?
Speaker 2: There best the Wiki Fly Eagle, Fly.
Speaker 4: Birds going to the Super Bowl.
Speaker 2: Let's go, let's go, Worstlan.
Speaker 13: Wiki man Josh Allen, sad, sad, Chad.
Speaker 7: I hope I thought that this was the Bills here to go.
Speaker 12: Unfortunately not but Cam beat the top of the flying Eagles, Fly.
Speaker 4: Eagle, sly Let's go.
Speaker 2: All right, Thank you, Chris, congratulations, congratulations, all right? Uh more phone calls coming up. We'll give you our best and worst of the weekend. We'll play filling the blank a little bit later on this hour. Up next, our good buddy Lewis Riddick from the Mothership. He'll dissect what happened yesterday and I do have a proposal for him for the AFC NFC title games. I'll have that for you coming up right after this Dan Patrick show. Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 13: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together We're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app. Why should you listen to Covino and Rich. We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's.
Speaker 2: Going on in the world.
Speaker 13: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well, other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right, So check us out. We like to get you involved too, Take your phone calls, chop it up, as they say. I'd say the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar be sure to check out Cavino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, and if you miss any of the live show, just search Cobno on Rich wherever you get your podcast, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: More phone calls coming up, we'll play fill in the blank, will give you our best and worst of the weekend. Lewis Riddick and the Mothership, the ESPN, NFL College Football analyst, former NFL safety. I got an idea for the NFC AFC Title Game. Now this is strictly for your football audience that every other year you'll have NFC Title Game Sunday, AFC Title Game Saturday the following year. Then you change it up AFC Sunday NFC because this is about us. I don't know about you on your Saturday, Lewis, but I had nothing going on and I was joning for something.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Man, it's a lot to consume one day. It'd be nice. It would be nice to kind of break it up a little bit and kind of have to be standalone. I'm sure the look I mean, the NFL is always interested in driving network viewership right, trying to get the numbers as big as possible. I don't know if the numbers have come out for the Kansas City Chiefs game, but I had heard that they were gonna be like monstrous, and with the way that game went down with the wire, there's no question that it probably was. But yeah, I'd be okay with that, Dan, I'd be okay with that stretch it out as long as possible. I'm already sick about the fact that the season's almost over. I know, well, you know, I'm just going, what are we gonna do? We do that?
Speaker 11: I know.
Speaker 2: You'd probably be okay with having the ball down three three and a half minutes to go, three timeouts, And if you're a Buffalo bill fan with Josh Allen, right, that's not asking much of an MVP candidate. So what where did they go wrong?
Speaker 4: Oh? Well, I'll tell you what if I'm the Dalton Kinkaid makes that catch, you know, the catch at the end of the game where Josh makes it, absolutely fantastic play. As far as the blitz that the Spags broke brings from the Boundary with Trent McDuffie and Josh sees it and lost that ball up there, and Dalton's not able to bring that ball in. You know, we could be having a totally different conversation here today. It's amazing that he was able to get that ball off. It's amazing that it was right in the hands of Kincaid. It's almost like you feel bad for Kinkaid to say, well, you feel bad for Mark Andrews a week ago, because we may be talking about a totally different conversation. Rewind it back to the beginning of the fourth quarter with the spot of the ball and the fourth down play with Josh where just from watching it on TV at first, I said them sitting there thinking, oh man, they've got it. They've got it. They're about to seize the control of this football game. They're already up won, they're unplused territory. Maybe the game's gonna change, you know, maybe that's it. Maybe they tried they they solidify the game there. But I think what it shows you is like there's a bunch of different inflection points in that football game that if you're the opposing team and you're in that Narrowhead stadium and you're going up against Patrick Mahomes, if you don't seize them, if you don't definitively seize them. Then the combination of Patrick and Andy's play calling, which was nothing short of just you know, teach tape worthy down the stretch, He's gonna They're gonna make you pay. And that's why this team is now playing for its third straight title, which is just amazing.
Speaker 2: There's a moment when I see Josh Allen on that fourth down play. Now you play defensive back, Yeah, felt like that defensive back was looking in the backfield and I thought, is he coming? Like I didn't I don't know enough about that position, but I don't know if you normally look in the backfield when you're out there kind of on an island, you know, man man and coverage. It felt like he was looking and that made me think, oh my gosh, is he coming? And you know, you got to disguise it that you're just doing everything. This is the way I always do it. And it just like it dawned on me for a second, like do you normally look at the quarterback if you're just playing man coverage?
Speaker 4: Yeah? You know what, sometimes you do. Sometimes you're trying to get you know, you're you're looking at your guy, you're taking a peek at the quarterback, you're taking a peak, you know, at the line of scrimmage. You're you're trying to get You're just kind of like taking it all in. Sometimes you want to you you kind of get you fall into like a little bit of a you know, you want to get the rhythm of the quarterback center exchange, so you know when the ball's about to be snapped. And then ultimately, yeah, your eyes go back to your coverage responsibility. And sometimes quarterbacks can you know, you're right, quarterbacks can kind of pick up on the fact that, hey, you're you're spending too much time looking at me. I think something is up here. So it's a kind of a cat and mouse game, it really is. And and look, Trent's one of the very best in the in the league. Ian McDuffie's just one of one of the very best in the league. And uh and even with all that, even with all that being said, first of all, I don't know how. I don't know how Josh saw Dalton in the first place, despite the fact I guess he's six ' five and you know, he's he's a freak of nature. Himself and he's able to off his back foot and launch that thing the.
Speaker 2: Way I think Spot I didn't know.
Speaker 4: You know what what was amazing is that the Chiefs just dropped him. They dropped Dalton in coverage. They had a total coverage bust in the back end, and they had done that a couple of different times during the game. They let I'll tak about Buffalo in many ways. As much as I love the Chiefs and respect everything that they have accomplished, in many ways, Buffalo is gonna wasch that tape and They're gonna go, oh my goodness. We had so many opportunities that we just didn't capitalize them.
Speaker 2: I was rooting for the referees yesterday, I went rooting for Buffalo or Kansas City. I wanted. I wanted it to be a controversy free game.
Speaker 4: Me too.
Speaker 2: Then you have the spot they worthy play. It just feeds into that narrative of Kansas City gets the call.
Speaker 4: Yep, it does, and you hate that. You hate it because everything on your right, everything on my Twitter feed, when I'm sitting there looking at it and just typing some stuff, turning the game, everything is about yeah but the refs. Yeah, but the refs. Yeah, but the you know what, and that was that was like the same the same thing was happening, Like honestly in the first game in the in the a Philly in the Philly in Washington game, it's it's always about about why Washington ultimately ultimately lost that game, and like that, that has become like an easy go to thing now for people, and I understand that there are some things that look at it's no different than any other sport where sometimes superstars get preferential treatment, superstars get calls that you just don't necessarily see, uh other teams or other players getting calls. But it shouldn't be the dominating like just narrative surrounding a football team like Kansas City when they have earned it on the field, they've earned the Super Bowls that they've won, they earned the right think they lost one game this year when everyone in our business, every single one, every single week from about the halfway point on, was trying to find ways to say why this football team would not get back to New Orleans. Yeah, they found the way every single week. And now quite honestly, they're playing at their up, they're they're they're peaking at the right time, and that's very dangerous for Philadelphia.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but if you're going back to the Super Bowl against Philadelphia, that was a controversial call late in the game that went the Chiefs way on the past interference. So true, I mean, but.
Speaker 4: What who's that? Who is that against against?
Speaker 2: Was that against Bradbury?
Speaker 4: James Bradberry, But he said himself that yeah, he did, he grabbed them. It is what I mean see in that. I don't I don't. I don't know, Dan, I don't know how controversial that call was. That that was a clear if that was it, if that was any other team other than Kansas City, it's like, yeah, that that's passoror Ferris, that's defensive holding. I mean, you can't do it. But because it's Kansas City, and because there have been plays that that do spark a lot of debate about whether or not referees are giving them some calls that they don't necessarily deserve, it's going to get amplified. But yeah, I see your point. I see your point.
Speaker 2: When did it start to go wrong for the Commanders?
Speaker 4: Oh boy, Well, a number well, there's a number of different things. The explosive play component right out of the Gates. The first play kind of was a precursor of what you saw was going to happen in this football game as far as them, they're inability to contain the run game, to contain the explosive play component. And then if you take it back to the first drive for Washington where they had what was that? What was that like an eighteen play drive they eat up like eight to nine minutes and you still only get three that you knew, you knew every drive had to end up in six it had to and when they weren't able to do that, I mean, that's that's forecasting way way way ahead of time and really trying to say that you know something that that really you don't. You don't know if it's gonna be that's gonna be the case all game long. But it just seems so difficult.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 4: I talked about this earlier in the day on Sports Center about that, like Vick was gonna Fangio, the defensive coordinator, was gonna make it hard for Jayden. He was gonna make them have to drive eight, nine, ten, eleven, twelve plays. He was gonna play a lot more too high and go do you have the patience to drive this ball and be perfect for eight, nine, ten, twelve, fifteen plays to score against our defense. I'm gonna bet that you don't. I'm not gonna make the same mistake I made when we came to Washington. We played a lot of single high and you earned us on the outside one on one with big plays not letting you do it. And he didn't let him do it. He simply didn't let him do it. And then that offensive line in the running game for Philly, It's just that that's gonna be the thing if you're Kansas City now moving forward. Cansey better have an answer for the big boy football that Philly's gonna try and play. And they better hope and they better make sure that Jalen doesn't get hot like it looked like he's starting to come on a little bit.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 4: It was nice to see him hit aj Brown, was nice to see Davonte make some plays because if they get that part going to man, it's gonna be it's gonna be just like it was the last time these two met down in Arizona.
Speaker 2: I like in Saquon Barkley to Barry Sanders from the standpoint of one yard minus two four yards sixty six. That's what Barry used to do. Now, different types of runners, but the end result is similar.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And you know what's cool about that is if you just kind of broaden that out from a bigger picture, looking at it from a bigger picture. That's why I wasn't concerned, or really haven't been concerned about Philadelphia's inability to create explosives in the passing game, which many people thought was going to be something that would hold them back from being able to win a title or even get to the Super Bowl. I'm saying, well, look, Saquon is producing explosive plays at a historic rate like no running back has ever been able to do this. Besides who you're talking about, guys like Barry Sanders, and Barry just didn't have the team around him that obviously Saquan does. But that that point right there is the single greatest reason why this team is still as dangerous as it is. You know, on top of the fact that they have maybe the best collection of one through fifty three arguably in the NFL. But this guy can take a game and absolutely flip it on its head in a way that most coaches and most front office people think has to come in the passing game because no one's ever done it like that, No team has never reached the Super Bowl doing it like that, And this guy does it on the regular. You come to expect it now, which is just freakish. And he's a one of a kind tout. Look when Dave get him and drafted him in New York and got killed for it, he said, this is a gold jacket player. And obviously he wasn't able to build up the infrastructure around him to help him like Philly has. But he was right. He was dead right on the value.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when he goes in as a Philadelphia Eagle, then he'll.
Speaker 4: Be Unfortunately, Dave and John Maren, all of them are gonna be sitting there going, oh my god. And Joe Shay may too in the end.
Speaker 2: Okay, but does this change the philosophy going into this draft that now all of a sudden, our running backs back in vogue, that like Ashton Genty, is he a top ten pick now? Because we're looking at the kind of comeback of the running back.
Speaker 4: You know, it's gonna be very subjective. There's always gonna be people. They're gonna be a guy on our desk to come draft night by the name of mel Kiper, who still won't believe that you don't have that you have to draft a running back in the top ten or in the first round unless he is a Barry Sanders s type of talent, Abijon robins an s type of talent. But I think what it is showing you, what Saquan is making people think about, is this, if you have someone well, you know what, let's just compare him to Aston genty in particular, because I had the privilege of being able to call that game down the Fiesta Bow. He has the same characteristics, meaning body blow, body blow, four yards, one yard, four yards, five yards, seventy I'm out the gate and he's got It'll be interesting to see what Ashton runs. He looks like, he plays like a guy who has four to three speed at two hundred and twenty pounds and is basically nothing but one giant muscle. So yeah, I think that that conversation within scouting departments and in draft rooms is going to be, Hey, look, if there's a guy who we think in a league that puts a premium on explosive plays, can make explosive plays for us out of the backfield. Hell yeah, we're gonna draft them. It's exactly what Jamir Gibbs does for Detroit and what Brad Holmes got killed four drafted him in the first round. Yeah, I think I think Dan that whole conversation around never draft running backs in the top fifteen or in the first round overall. I think that that's over with.
Speaker 2: He's Lewis.
Speaker 4: I know there are gms right now who believe this. This is one of the best running back drafts that have been around that have come along in a while this year.
Speaker 2: Lewis Riddick of the Mothership NFL College Football analyst coaching hires. If I wanted to hide the fact that I hired a coach, I'd probably announce that on a Friday night that I had hired my coach, and you know, a busy weekend as well. And the Dallas Cowboys somehow did the Dallas Cowboys, who love attention, they love spotlight shiny things, notice me, And then all of a sudden, it's oh, by the way, oh yeah, forgot to tell you we hired Brian Schottenheimer as the head coach. What are they doing.
Speaker 4: What Jerry does?
Speaker 2: Okay, but could this be the right higher I mean, nobody else was interviewing Brian Schottenheimer.
Speaker 4: It could, It could. And you know what, if you wanted to play Devil's advocate, you could say, well, with the fact that there are seven, eight nine openings every single year, and a lot of times, these teams are hiring the people who everyone the consensus is these are the next hot up and comers.
Speaker 2: They're not.
Speaker 4: That's not the right way to do it either.
Speaker 2: No, So I mean, why not hire Dion? Why not if you love attention? I mean, what's on the downside, you're well for thirty.
Speaker 4: I think there's I think there's like and I'm not the first person to say this, but I have actually seen this in real life and I've seen how this works. You know, there's winning, and then there's winning the way you want to win. Like, sometimes winning isn't good enough for people. It's well now, but I'm not having fun because I'm not involved. I'm not the guy. I want to do it when I'm the guy, when I get the credit, when I can be the one who's in the you know, at the you know, at the at the head of the pack, and I'm the one who was the voice of the organization. Jerry already showed that he didn't like that back in the nineties when they were steamrolling everybody, and I played against those teams. Those teams were unstoppable. They simply were unstoppable. And he wound up getting rid of the guy, get rid of a Hall of Fame coach in Jimmy Johnson.
Speaker 2: But you're he's a great business man. You can't run a business.
Speaker 4: Then there are so many guys, every single guy, quite honestly, buying large. Not every guy, but most of the owners buying large in the NFL are a great business. Yeah, you don't buy football teams because you're not smart as far as how to make money. A whole lot of them, though, are terrible when it comes to understanding what it takes to win in the game of football. Hell I remember at one time having an owner say to me, quote, it's football, how hard can it be? And that's the kind of arrogance that a lot of those guys have when it comes to look at this game, it's just a bunch of guys who are running around pads, you know, hit. Just give me the best players, give me the give me the coach that everyone says the greatest and throw the football, score some touchdowns, keep them healthy. If they're not, we'll get someone else and just keep it going. Sometimes people look at it like that. They don't. They don't. They don't think it deserves the same that it has the same kind of nuance, or deserves the same kind of attention, or requires the same kind of mental horsepower that it requires to run Microsoft, or or or Apple, or you know, be a company that's that's a Fortune five hundred company that makes billions of dollars a year. They don't think, they don't think it's that intricate. But those are usually the ones who wind up on the outside looking in, looking for coaches every single year, wondering why damn why can't I get there? Why can't I be in the Super Bowl where now all the eyes are on me? Because they want to do it their way. That's why.
Speaker 2: Good to talk to you. Thanks for joining us. See you in New Orleans. Lewis Riddick, the Mother Shoe former safety and worked with the Eagles and Washington director of player personnel. Take a break. We have our best and worst of the weekend phone calls coming up, and we'll play Fill in the Blank.
Speaker 1: Right after this, be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAPP.
Speaker 2: More phone calls coming up. It's let's see you have best and worst of the weekend. Also filling the Blank. America loves filling the Blank. I've got it right here. We're going to bring phill in the Blank to New Orleans. It's such a great game. And by the way, Dylan is sitting in for a seat and seatings on the road with the French Kid. So Dylan this week is a seat filler. But unlike seat fillers at the Academy Ward, no, no, you get to you get to speak. I know what you're saying. I just didn't want an empty seat. Although some have suggested it is an empty seat with you sitting in it, and I said, that's not fair. That isn't fair. Dylan. Dylan is very valuable. He does the graphics on the show and he also is part of the Gambling podcast.
Speaker 3: I think Anthony took over for graphics today. You may have already mastered it better than I have.
Speaker 2: So Anthony is an intern and I said to the big german, could Anthony figure this out? Because I thought it might take him a few days. And I go back there and I see it. He's it right out of college. I go, are you okay, Goes? Oh, yeah, like not a problem at all. Seaton would be hard to replace. Apparently you wouldn't be hard to replace. Yes, it was. You thought this was your big coming out, partysed. Yes, all right, let's do fill in the blank. I will give you a sentence and then you fill in the blank. It's that simple. The Washington commanders are blank. Todd no rookies.
Speaker 12: They are no rookies. They look like they've been there before. Jayden Daniels maybe have been a rookie. But they are playing and we'll continue to play like Dylan.
Speaker 2: The commanders are blank hopeful, okay, Marvin trending up? Okay, Pauline refreshing. I want to put a tab on that. Though they still need new uniforms, I don't know they have some that I really like, some I really like.
Speaker 11: They would have probably had two less turnovers. The uniforms too fewer.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 2: The Washington Commanders are for real. Jalen Hurts is blank tod sneaky dangerous.
Speaker 12: You gotta say a fast and making one.
Speaker 3: Word, Okay, snaky dangerous, Dylan undeserving of all the criticism.
Speaker 11: Oh, Marvin, Jalen Hurts is enough, Paul, Mine was close to Marvin. I'm gonna go tough to beat.
Speaker 2: I'll say Jalen Hurts is good. Saquon Barkley is Blankton like that Eagles.
Speaker 12: Movie with the Mark Wahlberg while black. I'm gonna go invincible, convincible.
Speaker 2: Dylan hooking up the running back position, cookating up the running okay, kind of wordy, Marvin. Saquon Barkley is blank bonds ish Oh, okay.
Speaker 11: Paul Hall of Famey. If you had asked me a year ago, is Saquon Barkley going the Hall of Fame? We're going to be out of football in three years, I would have said out of football.
Speaker 2: Saquon Barkley is a giant.
Speaker 14: Oh yeah, Todd.
Speaker 2: The Bills lost because of bag last week or coaching. Give the blank The Bills.
Speaker 12: Lost because of blank bag slast weeker coaching, Dylan.
Speaker 14: Uh, the chip in the football not working it properly, okay, Marvin, push push fail, Paulie. The Bills lost because of the Bills.
Speaker 2: The Bills lost because of Mahomes. Patrick Mahomes is blank.
Speaker 12: Todd capitalizing, always capitalized on every little mistake or something doesn't go right by the other team.
Speaker 2: Dylan winning, winning, Marvin Jordan Esque Paully. Patrick Mahomes is blank ahead f schedule. Patrick Mahomes is the great eraser.
Speaker 5: The tush push play is blank Todd as nice, nice, Dylan bogus, Marvin effective, Paully in its final weeks.
Speaker 2: Ooh, you think it changes in the offseason.
Speaker 11: I do. Rarely does the NFL do anything to help the defense. But this tush push play really only serves one team, and the fans collectively don't like it. Here's the thing. In two thousand and five, for whatever reason, the NFL allowed lineman to push the ball carrier. It had been illegal for over fifty years. There still is a rule that you cannot pull the ball carrier. For whatever reason, two thousand and five, the NFL opened the door to push it. Nobody did it for years. If you remember, it was that same season in two thousand and five that the bush push happened in the USC, Notre Dame being which was illegal, not called the NFL could easily clear this up.
Speaker 2: The tush push is unstoppable. Although I had a problem. I have a problem with a hard count. They allowed the hard count. The hard count is to draw you off sides. So the Eagles were using a hard count and then the defense would jump off sides. They're doing what the hard count is meant to do at the end. So when they said I didn't know they could award a touchdown, I was. I kept thinking, it can't get any closer to the end zone, Like it's gonna be like four centimeters. Hey, if you jump off sides, it's going to be another four centimeters. And then they said, hey, if you do it one more time, we're going to get them a touchdown. I thought, wow, what was the expression the referee said of what they were doing?
Speaker 12: Yes time he said about that type of behavior he's there.
Speaker 2: Now, wasn't it palpable or something? He had a big word attached to that. I didn't think it was just hey, if you continue that kind of behavior. I thought that there was a little there was like an sat word in there, well, an sat word for me, maybe not for you guys. Do we have that exchange there? What that call?
Speaker 4: Was.
Speaker 2: We'll get some of our best people on that final hour on the way, more phone calls as well. Minister of Humor, get to administer some humor today, Fritzy Wow, Dylan is here. Marvin Paulie Yours truly final hour on the Monday straight Ahead.