Speaker 1: Welcome in, What Drive with Think Right? Episode three point eighteen. What a sports week man, What a night last night? You know it's a big game with real emotions attached when if you're watching the game, you didn't find out until after the game was over with the postgame hugs. Wait. Patrick Mahomes was courtside the entire time, and they didn't show him once because they had to show the crowd, and they had to show Luca, and they had to show the Lakers and they celebrating Luca. They had to show Nico Harrison with his Mama mentality, hiding in the tunnel, surrounded by security in his own home stadium. They had to show Mark Cuban. What a night? And then it got even crazier after that. Oh my Warriors lose to Devin Castle, Draymond's defensive Player of the Year. Push takes a big hit if people are watching play in picture, messed up play off picture, weird. All that plus our NFC over unders plus in what missed the cut? Demons, Welcome in. And I don't know if you are even that aware. Do you know I'm aware what starts today?
Speaker 2: I'm aware?
Speaker 1: Yeah, what starts today? My friend It's the Master's awful, glorious sports on the pine straw and the patrons and the dollar fifty egg salad sandwiches. I'm telling you right now. You know, every once in a while, the sports gods frown upon me because and I have to keep my voice down on this because your mom, I think, is twenty feet that way. But I'm in a bit of a pickle, my friend. Here's the deal. Sunday, final day of the NBA season, Clippers Warriors likely decides who the Lakers Round one matchup is going to be. Who's in the play in It is also Sunday at the Masters, one of my favorite sports days of the year. It is also my anniversary.
Speaker 3: Yeah I was, Yeah, I was just the boy. Oh boy you are.
Speaker 1: We have found ourselves boxed in a bit, however that we will deal with that when we get to that. In the meantime, I'll tell you right now the best app in sports, the Masters app open loaded on the phone, watching holes four, five, and six, keeping updated. One of my favorite just just an unbelievable weekend that got started on a Wednesday night with some unbelievable basketball. The other thing they missed the cut Aaron Rodgers did not make his big announcement in Pat McAfee's thing Shoudroorg Sanders visiting Pittsburgh and Lebron's getting a Barbie. I don't totally get it. He seems excited about it, seems dope. Whatever. Now, please like, rate, subscribe, review, watch his live on YouTube, listen to the podcast feed. This is what you should do right now. If you're listening to this on audio, make sure you unsubscribe to The low Post because that's gone. Subscribe to Zach's newpod, The Zach Lowe Show, because I don't think he got to carry over his subscribers. So subscribe to Zach Lowe's new show. That's a different network, that's a different company. But it's so great to have Zach low back for the playoff push. And while you're doing that, go ahead and subscribe to this show even if you watch it on YouTube now demand's let's get to last night.
Speaker 3: Yeah, very emotional game last night. It was Luca's first time returning to Dallas since being traded. Originally, the fans would super hyped to see him. Really, it seems like a lot of fans are wearing the thank you for everything in Slovenian shirts.
Speaker 2: They're cheering for him.
Speaker 3: I basically after every bucket, you know, they still got the love for Luca. And then he torched them score forty five points. What did you think of this whole game, this whole situation.
Speaker 1: Right, I was amazed by what Luca did. And one of my go to beliefs in sports is a very simple phrase, but it explains a lot, and that is legendary players do legendary things. And Luca watching what I thought was almost a too well produced pregame video, I thought that was almost too well done because it really hit home, if it hadn't already, how outrageous the trade was, and how blind sighted Luca was by it, and how great he was. I was wondering how they would approach it, how they would approach this video. Would they include the step back three over Rudy Gobert in the conference finals to give them a a stranglehold on making their first NBA finals since Dirk was there, since their championship in eleven And the answer was, yeah, we're gonna do a real tribute to Luca. As if this franchise didn't spend the last six weeks calling him and out of shape alcoholic that we couldn't trust with three hundred and fifty million dollars. They did, and it really affected Luca. He's crying. He so again. Up for those of us, I know, I'm sure there's some people listening or watching that cry all the time, and there's some people listening or watching who never cry. I think most of us are probably in, you know, the middle part of that bell curve where we're not never ever criers, but we are incredibly rare criers. Think back to the last time something affected you so much that you were brought to tears in public, and then think would you have been at your best professionally ninety seconds later? I wouldn't have been.
Speaker 3: He was.
Speaker 1: He lit them on on fire from start to finish, while dealing with the unbelievable and indescribable emotion that honestly, almost no athlete in modern sports history has had to deal with quite that. A guy that good, that young in that sport, who didn't want to be traded, who thought I'm going to be here forever, who gets the rug pulled out from under him in the middle of the night, and then has to deal with learning secondhand that, Oh, evidently a lot of these people that I worked for didn't believe in me, didn't like me, didn't trust me, are totally fine with trashing me a nightonymously or on the record, dealing with all of that. And then he scores forty five, is the best player on the court, thirty one in the first half, channels it all into his individual greatness. That is as legendary as it as you will ever see. And I saw the stat and it's a great one that Luca becomes the first player you'll like this demonse, the first player in more than fifty years to score forty five plus points for a team and then forty five plus points against that team in the same season. And I'll tell you who the guy was who did it before. But think about what the needle you have to thread for that to happen. You have to be good enough to where you have multiple forty five point games. You also have to be traded during the year. The last guy that did that, the only guy to do that was Wilt. But Wilt was a bit of a no mad's too strong, but he moved around. He also was similarly to Luca, I think unfairly maligned or not fully appreciated for how great he truly was. But Wilt didn't get traded against his will. Wilt didn't get blindsided by it. And for Luca to be able to do that, and for the Lakers to embrace him the way they have Lebron is you know, cheering on the crowd when they're chanting Luca. Luca the embrace with his teammates right after the introductions, everybody kind of taking a step back and saying, this is Luca's moment. If you're a vibes reader, the Lakers vibes are absolutely off the charts right now. And you now can tick tick tick your way through the Western Conference potential playoff teams, and you are going to find that nobody has an answer to this question, what defense can deal with that, dude? And the answer is none of them. The Thunder with their ten awesome wing defenders, Nope. The MAVs with all of their sinners healthy in that size, Nope, Nobody when he is dialed. The only player in the league who has a similar offensive impact is Nikali Jokic, and Jokich's second best player is dealing with a hamstring, and we don't know if he's gonna come back, And Luca's second best player is Lebron freaking James, And so I said it last night, I will say it again. The Celtics can beat the Lakers. I don't know that they will. They can. I don't think anyone else can beat this team as presently constituted four times in seven games, because Luca going forty five, eight and six is not like, oh man, when's he gonna do that again? Probably three or four times in the playoffs. He already. And I'm gonna risk messing up the internet here and I apologize, but I'm gonna look this up on the fly because this is one of my favorite stats, which is Luca, who's again has not played seven full seasons fine players. I have to find the fine totals from all games, most games of combined seasons. There it is career four thirty point playoff games NBA history, and the top of the list is what you would expect. But what's going to shock you is where Luca already is on it. So top of the list, Jordan, Lebron, Jerry West, those are the only people with even twenty of them. Okay, next highest is Elgind Baylor, and Kevin Durant with fourteen, So again, fourteen is fourth most in NBA history. Wilt had thirteen, Kobe had thirteen, Shack had twelve. Kareem, who played for twenty plus years and was the all timing scorer, had nine. Luca's got eight. Luca has more career forty point playoff games already than he is, the same number as Steph. He has more than Dirk, he has more than Bird, he has more than Berkley. He is more than Kawhi, he is more than Joker, he has more than Magic. He The only players in league history with more than him are Kareem, Iverson, Harden, dream Shaq, Kobe, Will Durant, Elgin, West Bron, Jordan. That's it. So Luca dropping forty on your head like he did last night, That's gonna happen a few times in the playoffs Lebron thanks to Luca being there, being able to do exactly what he did last night, which is I'm gonna go at about half speed for three quarters and then I'm gonna be the best player on the damn planet in the fourth quarter on both ends of the court. That's gonna be available to the Laker And what's going to determine do the Lakers look like the best team in the league or do they look like a team that is slightly vulnerable. Is going to be do Dorian Finney, Smith, Gabe Vincent Ruy, Hatchamora hit the wide open, spoon fed threes that Luca is going to deliver to them, because that's what they're going to live on. So the Lakers are the most dangerous team in the NBA because of that guy. And I think Demands might think I'm overstating this a bit, and so I'm I'm I'm open to the discussion on it before we get to the Anthony Davis side of it, But go ahead.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I think the Celtics are the most dangerous team in the league, and then the Lakers fall like shortly after that. I mean, we just obviously have the death and we definitely have the defenders.
Speaker 2: Said deal with Luka Doncic.
Speaker 3: I mean, obviously you're not gonna hold Luca at twenty fifteen, fifteen whatever.
Speaker 2: But you know, so here is the.
Speaker 1: Thing about that. So this, listen, the Celtics are unbelievable, unbelievable, and the argument is a pretty clean one, which is the Celtics played Luca in the finals last year and they won. My counterpoint to that would be a relatively simple one. Luca in those finals was twenty nine nine and six, despite in those finals not being able to hit threes twenty four percent from three after forty three percent the previous line the round. The number that to me is the most noteworthy on that Lucas stat line is not the twenty nine points, but it's the only five and a half assists a game, and that was a symptom of not shooters. Well he had the shooters, they just didn't hit shots. And so what happened in those finals is Kyrie eight of twenty nine from three. PJ. Washington six of twenty two from three. Derek Jones Junior is again you can't really rely on him big time for threes three of twelve from three. The team as a whole thirty one percent from three. So I don't know that we saw the Celtics cut Luca's water off. What they did was and with their great defenders, make the role player really struggle. But Kyrie in those finals was nineteen three and five, and as I mentioned, twenty seven percent from three. Lebron ain't doing that if you guys match up and so again, I am not acting like the Lakers deserve to be some big favorite. I am not acting like the Celtics are not a deserving champion. What I am saying is Luca gave you a little glimpse last night of what playoff Luca looks like. And that, alongside what appears to be for one of the only times in his Lakers tenure, fingers crossed, two games left a Lebron James that is going to be rested and healthy going into the playoffs. Look Out, Now, Lebron was healthy going into the twenty twenty playoffs they won the title. Lebron was healthy going into the twenty three playoffs they made it the conference finals.
Speaker 3: All right, we're saying he's healthy. Now, we'll hear nothing about a groin later. You know things, well.
Speaker 1: I mean if he again, if he right, No, he is healthy now. Now, guys can get hurtous, obviously, but I'm but no, you're right that if he doesn't suffer an injury and then you know what I mean, plays poorly, you can't put it on injury. But that's The thing is this, It simply doesn't happen. So like we have twenty years of evidence that healthy Lebron doesn't play poorly in the playoffs. All right, let's go to the other side of this game.
Speaker 2: For a moment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I saw on the other side of it Anthony Davis was playing his ex team as well. That doesn't really seem to be making noise.
Speaker 1: Well, so here's why I think, because it wasn't in LA I think because nobody felt like I don't think anybody felt like the Lakers betrayed Ad because it's just a trade you have to make. I also think this last night was a great example of why AD is such a frustrating great player. And last night was also a good example of the gap between all time great and legend because Anthony Davis in that game, with the Lakers not having a real sinner and him fully healthy, you would have liked to see him be like, listen, one way or another, I'm getting my thirty or at least twenty five and putting my imprint on the game. Instead. Listen, he was good defensively, and he had thirteen points. And it's why AD is again as great as he is a frustrating guy at times because he doesn't seem to always have that extra gear that you would want and the right He is not a guy that you can just say, oh, the moment calls for it. Therefore, he's going to be brilliant, at least on the offensive end. Now. Defensively, everybody still brings up the Lakers free throw edge over the last few years and all of these things. That's an Anthony Davis stat not because he's drawing so many fouls, but because he is and has been, and it's criminal. This guy's gonna go his whole career without winning a Defensive Player of the Year. But he has been the best rim protector in the league for a half decade plus now, and he can protect the rim without fouling, which is what led to those free throw discrepancies. And he was able to do a lot of that last night. But thirteen points in that moment is just a bummer, all right, But one other thing, Let's do one other thing on Luca.
Speaker 3: Luca's ejection on Tuesday. What are your what are your thoughts? How do you feel about that?
Speaker 1: What are your thoughts on it?
Speaker 3: My thoughts on it are I do think that I watched the show a little bit yesterday and something resonated with me. I do think that Luka Doncic is he needs to be available throughout games, and I think that he should stop taking himself out with with the whole winding and complaining about the call. I am not on the ref side in that instant in that instance, but I would like to see Luca stop yelling at the refs and just get back on defense.
Speaker 2: Occasionally it's like, come.
Speaker 1: On, man, Okay, that's a fair critique. It's also never gonna happen, and so it's just like it's just he has to play aggrieved. It also was such an outrageous ejection and so easily fixable when you realized what had happened that I Bruin Wilde's got mad at me, but I said that I don't think that jt Or, the ref who did it, should be refing playoff games if that's the type of ref he is. I then read this morning, jt Or, in his thirteen year career, has refed a grand total of one playoff game. So it looks like the league maybe already recognized that. But he made it was let's say it again.
Speaker 2: He made it personal, and he made it personal.
Speaker 1: From the very beginning. When you tell Jared vander both texts he gave Luca were totally unreasonable. One Luca's running up court arguing not on his behalf, but on Vanderbilt's behalf because Vanderbilt got hit in the face. He's not in the ref's face, he's fifteen feet from him. Gives him a tech, then tells Vanderbilt, I'll talk to anyone but Luca. And the next one. Here's why I found it so outrageous. It was not a reasonable misunderstanding because Luca didn't get there was There was no potential foul on the play. It's Luca had made the shot, Luke, So the context of it is really important. Luca had just come in from off the bench, so it's not like he and the ref had been going back and forth, you know, over the last few minutes. He had just come back in the game. There was no contact whatsoever on the shot. So it wasn't one of those I made the shot, but I should have gotten an and one bleep you for not giving it to me, which you do see all the time.
Speaker 3: Or maybe it was like few I hit the shot like that's what the ref perceived it as, like he's talking he's talking trash after he hits the shot, like fu ref.
Speaker 1: Basically, yeah, you better be damn certain who he's talking to and what he's saying. If it's the fourth quarter of a huge game and a guy already has one technical and part of being in a fit in very very kind of simple terms mixed metaphors a bit being in a fit kind of like being a cop. We give you a ton of power and we trust that even if you have pulled me over a dozen times before and each time I've said f you hate you, bleep you, that when you walk to my car on the thirteenth time, you are going to act with the professionalism and demeanor of someone who's first meeting me. And you might be like, that's unreasonable. That's the job. That is the job. And you, when you have a disproportionate power over another person, because you are the enforcer of the rules, you have an obligation to leave your baggage court side, and not everybody can do it. And so if you were going.
Speaker 3: To go ahead, like how after Draymond gets a technical and at how much leeway.
Speaker 2: He gets the opposite.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like it takes a lot for him to get that second technical and it was like a.
Speaker 1: No, and so it was. But whatever, I mean, the Lakers got the worst case scenario would have been. And I actually think for the Thunder, here's the part of that ejection that sucks for the Thunder. The Thunder don't feel great about that win. Now the the the and the Thunder could have won that game. I don't know. I don't think they were going to because you were just about to get rested Luca down the stretch. But maybe. But now the Thunder, like, man, they beat us in our building. Bad. We then emptied the clip on him in the first half. They clawed back, they're up one and then Luca gets thrown out like so it was just bad all around. All right, Let's go to the rest of the Western Gonbertz playoffs.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, so next time we have our next episode, the regular season will be wrapped up and the top seeds all the way down to the plane will be decided. The funny little wrinkle is the Warriors just blew that game to the Spurs last night. So are we potentially looking at Lakers in Golden State playing in the first round.
Speaker 1: So I know this. The standings make it seem like that because of last night is less likely. In reality, because of last night, it's more likely. I'll explain that in a moment, But first, let me talk about that Warriors game. That's a terrible loss, and it had a lot of the a lot of the warning signs of bad Warriors losses from the past, most notably horrific turnovers down the stretch. So if you weren't watching that game, I want to just give you the play by pardon me, the play by play of the last few minutes because the war Let me actually back up a little bit more. The Warriors were up big, up double digits early. The Spurs then have a monster second quarter to take a lead going into halftime, but that doesn't matter because the Warriors beat the Spurs in the third quarter thirty seven to twenty one, and they go into the final period up a dozen. So it's a game you've got to have. You're up a dozen on a Spurs team that you know does not necessarily want to win, and despite that, they find themselves in a dog fight tie game after a castle three with five minutes remaining. And then this is where you get to, in my opinion, the concern points for the Warriors. Okay, so I'm pulling up the play by play here. Once we get to all right, two and a half minutes left, Spurs turn the ball over. Warriors up one, Draymond Green bad pass turnover. They then exchange buckets. Minute left Draymond Green, bad pass turnover, thirty seconds left Steph Curry bad pass turnover. Sandwiched in the middle of that, after a really good Draymond Green defensive play and transition, Keldon Johnson goes right at Draymond, gets a layup. Keldon Johnson then goes right at Draymond and gets another layup for a guy who's doing a full blown media blitz about how he's defensive Player of the Year. That was a rough sequence, and all of a sudden, they're down two, and then the Spurs screw up. The Spurs are up too with five seconds left, and Harrison Barnes panics and basically hugs Draymond. They've gotten the ball out of Steph's hands. He fouls Draymond as if he thought they had a foul to give. They didn't. You're up to five seconds off, Draymond has the ball, you foul him. He makes both. Credit Den for that. I thought he was gonna miss one. He makes both, and now you're staring at overtime. And then Harrison Barnes, former Warrior champion, bangs home the three, and all of a sudden, the Warriors now and now we can show the Western Conference standings. Here's where we're at. The Lakers are forty nine and thirty one with games against Houston and Portland remaining. Win one and they lock in the three seed. So the Lakers are going to be the three seed. Maybe they beat Houston. If they don't beat Houston, they will beat Portland in game eighty two that Portland doesn't want, so they're locked. We now have very tricky setups. Denver and the Clippers both forty eight and thirty two. Memphis has three games left their forty seven and thirty two, the Warriors forty seven and thirty three, and Minnesota forty six and thirty three. So here's what the nut nut of this really is. On the Warriors side of things, Let's assume they're beating Portland. That gets them to forty eight wins. If they beat the Clippers, I would then expect the Warriors to end up the sixth seed and playing the Lakers in Round one. The schedules for the following teams are for the teams are as follows. Denver has Memphis and then Houston. The Clippers have Sacramento and then the Warriors. Memphis has Minnesota, then Denver, then Dallas, Golden State, Portland and the Clippers and Minnesota at Memphis and then Brooklyn in Utah. So Minnesota right now is the eight, but they have two auto wins to end the year. So if Minnesota wins tonight at Memphis, they are going to finish forty nine and thirty three. It is very, very difficult to handicap exactly what's going to happen. What you can handicap is this, Denver has one super meaningful game left against Memphis, the game at Houston. I just wonder if Houston's gonna be sitting guys. My guess is they will. The Clippers have won super meaningful game left at the Warriors memph Memphis has two super meaningful games left home for Minnesota at Denver and then obviously the game that will likely determine, not likely definitively will determine a huge amount in the Western Conference. Is Clippers Warriors game eighty two, three point thirty Sunday afternoon, probably on ABC. The loser of that game probably goes to the play in. The winner of that game is going to be either the I think well not is going to be the four to the five or the six. Here is the part that might surprise the audience. If I'm the Lakers, I would rather play right now Golden State then play the Clippers. I think that the Clippers, with Kawhi having a week off between the playoffs because of the play in and them playing so well right now and Zubots being a real force when the Lakers don't have a center, I think that is a tougher matchup than a Golden State team that reminded you last night. Yeah, we can beat anybody, but we can lose to anybody in big spots, and so I it's almost impossible to handicap how it's going to fall exactly. I know that Minnesota right now is sick because Minnesota, if they didn't blow that twenty six point lead to the Bucks night before last, they're sitting there at forty seven and thirty two with games against Brooklyn and Utah remaining, and they are in great shape to get up to the four five line. I'll tell you something else. The Warriors being in the play in is devastating for them. You can be like, oh, well, you know, as long as you win your play in game, you get Houston, Houston fully rested. That defense is not go ahead.
Speaker 2: Demanse, young and energetic.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's not gonna be fun.
Speaker 1: You lose your play in game and all of a sudden you find you find yourself in a one and done. You'd win it, I would imagine, But now you're going to Oklahoma City. And this is also where I remind you the Warriors history in the play in is not great. The Warriors in twenty twenty one lost two play in games and missed the playoffs. And the Warriors last year again in things that we just memory hole, we just vacillate between the Warriors, are you know Steph is in the goat conversation and disregarding the fact that last year the Warriors in the play in lost to Sacramento. The season was just over, lost to the Kings in a one and done season over good night, good luck. So the Warriors historically have played three play in games. Lebron hit the three rim three over steph to beat him in their first. The young upstart Grizzlies back when the Grizzlies were fun beat them in the second one in Golden State to knock them out of the playoffs. And last year the Sacramento Kings beat them to knock him out of the playoffs. And so again, like since Durant left, the Warriors seasons have gone, missed the playoffs, missed the playoffs, won the damn title, lost in round two to Lebron, missed the playoffs, and now this year, if you froze the standings right now, they're in the play in again. And by the way, there is no team in the league that wishes you could freeze the standings right now, like the Lakers where they get Memphis in round one, which is the dream. Denver and the Clippers and the Thunder are all on the other side of the bracket, and the Warriors have to play play in games. That is the dream bracket. It almost It's not gonna stay like this though, because these too many of these teams play each other. But that is the standings as we sit here today. By the way, for people watching live, couple things. One is we appreciate you. Second is please like, rate, subscribe, review, do all those things. It really does help us, and it, you know, leads to us, you know, being doing more of the kind of surprise shows or instant reaction shows. They asked me yesterday, Paul texts me, He's like, hey, you want to do a snap reaction right after the game quick? And I was like, you know, I would, but tonight was a bottle of wine night while I'm watching the NBA, and I just don't. I just don't think it's a good idea. But also, people watching live, you can throw questions in the chat and we'll get to him, get to him later. So there was gosh darn it, oh there was something. Oh Edwin. Edwin in the chat says, don't sleep on playoff Jimmy. So again, this is where the producers are gonna get mad at me, because this is where I do open up a bunch of basketball reference pages and it might mess up my internet a touch. Here is my only pushback. Anybody that's watched the TV show over the last few years has known no one has prayed at the altar of playoff Jimmy more than me that I've said he's a different guy. When they made the fine against the Nuggets, I did a whole thing about how if he wins the title, his resume versus James Harden's resume is one of the more fun NBA Roars Shark tests of all time, all of it. But I do think there is reasonable reason for concern that the playoff Jimmy we are used to might not be around this year. So here's what I mean. In twenty twenty two, Jimmy Butler was twenty one six and six in the regular season and then bumped that in the playoffs to twenty seven, seven and five. So he was a twenty two point a game guy who bumped it up to twenty seven in the playoffs. The next year, in the regular season he was twenty three a game and an All NBA second teamer, and then in the playoffs he bumped it to twenty seven a game. Here's the point I'm making. Historically, playoff Jimmy means bump my scoring average by about four points. This year, he's a seventeen point a game guy, and he's with the Warriors forty six percent from the field and twenty eight percent from three. So even if you get the playoff, Jimmy bump, he does not appear to be quite the player he was when he would What Jimmy would do is go from being a B plus guy to an A guy. What if now that means he goes from a B B B minus guy to a B plus guy. That's a concern. So that that's my only pushback on that. All right, let's get to the other big news of the week before we do our NFL over unders for the NFC go ahead.
Speaker 3: So right after our show on Tuesday, Denver they fired their head coach, Mike or Michael Malone and Calvin Booth, which is just really weird. They're they're in the playoffs. It's a funny time. And then last night they got the win. They took care of business against the Kings, and Jokic had this to say post game. People said, we are vulnerable, but I think the Beast is always the strongest of the most dangerous when they are vulnerable. So maybe Josh Kronk woke up the beast.
Speaker 1: Josh Crony, the owner of the team.
Speaker 2: But yeah, that's that's what's going on. In Denver right.
Speaker 1: Now, So listen. I I don't think it's a good sign when you fire your coach.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 1: It Also there's other reporting shocker that the GM and some players were frustrated that Michael Malone kept playing Russell Westbrook in big spots like man in a Tough Spot. But I've seen that movie before. Because they won last night, people I think are trying to convince themselves, oh, well, maybe this was what the team needed. I don't buy that at all. I'm not saying this was a disaster. I'm not saying it's crazy to fire Michael Malone. What I am saying is that they have and last night, Daniel points out, is the first game since December fifth that Westbrook played fewer than twenty minutes. Got it. But what the Nuggets need, obviously is Jamal Murray to come back from his injury. But what the Nuggets also need that Jamal Murray coming back from his injury is not going to have an impact on is to have a passable defense, and they don't. So as great as Joe, I watched that game last night because I had a nice little Lakers Thunder Clippers Kings five and a half to one parlay and the Lakers won. That is all money line. The Clippers won against the Rockets backups the thunder one despite playing their own backups because the Suns have quit. And then I was like, all right, we'll see how the Nuggets react to the firing. And the Nuggets did react well to the firing, but they still just can't guard anybody, and so I don't I don't think I think they're scary because they have the best player in the world. I don't think they're dangerous when it comes to a deep playoff run. As far as Deman' say what it means for Joker, they don't have a ton of flexibility they can try to trade for Durant. I think the only way that would happen would be if Durant demanded to go there. Because they're not going to have the best package they could go ahead.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know what Jamal Murray's like contract situation is. Well, shouldn't they just try and shop him get some assets for Jamal Murray if that's possible.
Speaker 1: I don't know if his I mean, the contract situation is a MAX deal that has not gone into effect yet, right, And I think that they probably feel like the Jokich Murray combo they want to keep together. It's Michael Porter Junior that they would betray him and listen, I am pretty confident that if they wanted to, they could get Paul George. But that contract seems to be underwater. Yeah. Well, but they just don't have a ton of flexibility. Like Daniels, a resident Nuggets fan, hates the idea of Paul George. I would call New Orleans over the summer about zion I still you're It feels to me we have these two multi time MVP, one time champion, one playoff appearance, generational international superstar, top twenty all time guys, and Giannis and Jokic and they've now both dealt with the coach firings. The Nuggets are yet to make the panic trade. But you do it because you don't want the guy to ask out, and Jokic doesn't seem like he would ask out, but it would be reasonable.
Speaker 3: Well from that, well, he said on the firing, he knew a little bit before everybody, and he told me we made a decision, so it was not a discussion. It was a decision, and they told me why, so I listened and I accepted it. So it's not like them firing Michael Malone would have determined like it didn't seem like he was tired of Michael Malone.
Speaker 1: So well, So listen, I don't I I think that Jokic probably if he desperately wanted them to keep Malone, think that kept him for the rest of the year. But I don't blame Listen, he was there for ten years. If they thought the message was stale or whatever, it's fine. I have no issue with that piece of it. My point is whether or not Jokic feels like this is the best place for they're gonna give me the best chance to win a championship, and whether or not the cronkeys thriftiness in not keeping KCP costs us a chance at winning this championship. Uh yeah, I mean death asks in the chat, do you think the Nuggets fired him alone because they were worried they might go on a run which would make firing him harder. Later listen, the owners said something along the lines of, sometimes you know there's real issues and wins cover up those issues. I I think that's silly, Like, what are we saying here that the Nuggets were like worried they were gonna win the championship and therefore not be able to fire the coach. If they win the championship, you don't want to fire the coach. They're saying they were worried that they were gonna win a couple of rounds in the playoffs and then not be able to fire the coach. Sure you can't. The damn four seeding fired him three days for the play three answer for the playoffs, Like, so, I don't really buy that rationale. I do think that this is a very interesting summer for Joker, and just is what it is. It's a really interesting summer for Joker before we get to the Jos stuff, and we might we might do the NFC stuff next week. I know that we said we're gonna do it today, but we might have to do the NFC stuff next week, which kind of might make more sense because next week during the play INDs, there's not gonna be as much action to discuss. But speaking of action, who's scoring big in the NBA this season? You are with all the new ways to get in on the action at DraftKings sportsbook and official sports betting partner of the NBA. For Monster slams, dish in the rock to cleaning the glass. Get behind your favorite players and the prop bets you can make on DraftKings, the home of NBA player props. Ready to play your first bet? Try betting on something simple like picking how many points your favorite player will have. Go to the DraftKings sportsbook app and make your pick. Tuesday went one on one, Tatum hit the over. Jimmy Butler, however, went under. I was man. That's a frustrating one, but doesn't matter. We move forward today. Caid Cunningham, how about over twenty five and a half points? Josh hard Og and Anobi Mitchell Robinson not expected to play, Cad. You know there's a potential first round playoff matchup. Cad also trying to push for maybe second team All NBA and then Tyrese Haliburton over seventeen and a half points. Calves arresting some people and Halliburton's been a twenty point per game guy at home. Lines and odds subject to change, as always. First time, here's something special just for you new DraftKings customers, some of you guys watching right now. Bet five dollars, get one hundred and fifty dollars in bonus bets instantly. Here's what you do. Take it to the rack with DraftKings Sportsbook ever point counts. Download the DraftKings Sportsbook app. Use code right. That's code right for new customers to get one hundred fifty dollars in bonus bets when you bet just five bucks only on DraftKings. The Crown is yours. Gambling problem call one eight hundred gambler in New York call eight seven seven eight hope in why, or text hope in why, which is four six seven three six nine. In Connecticut. Help is available for problem gambling call eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of Boothill Casino and Resort in Kansas twenty one plus age in eligibility varies by jurisdiction void in Ontario. Bonus bets expire one hundred and sixty eight hours after issuance. For additional terms and responsible gaming resources, see dk G dot co slash b ball. Before we get to the listener questions demands, let's talk about this job Morant.
Speaker 3: So obviously John Morants had the problems with the gun celebrations in the league find him. I think it was like seventy five thousand or something like that. So he he debuted a new celebration and it's a it's a grenade tossed into the crowd.
Speaker 2: How do we feel about that? Do we think the league should deal with that?
Speaker 1: How do you feel about it?
Speaker 2: I hate feeling the way that I feel about it, honestly, But uh, what do you mean?
Speaker 3: I just don't I don't like being exactly Yeah, I don't like being a killer of fun and and all that stuff. But it's just job Morant specifically and his history, and it's like, uh, and like they're finding him. He's like, all right, so now I'll throw a grenade. It's like, dude, why are you being such a child.
Speaker 2: Dude. It's like, come on, dude, It's like, all right, maybe I can get away with this like.
Speaker 1: A So so we feel almost the exact same way. I think it's a sign of your own maturity that you are not playing the false equivalence game other people are doing. Hey, here's a compilation of folks doing gun celebrations. Why is it different for joh I don't know. Man, Let's pretend this happened, okay, because you know guys like doing the ice in the vein this thing, well, that is an illusion for being honest to shooting heroin.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: I don't know if everybody knows that, but like you tap the vein. Okay, So let's say you have a bunch of players that do that. But then old birdman Chris Anderson. People remember him, Maybe they do, maybe they don't. He got kicked out of the league for a year because he was doing heroin. He was doing hard drugs. I think it was heroin. I don't no, he had the heroin tats. But the regardless if he you might you gave me a funny like heroin tats. The weird thing there's like.
Speaker 2: I knew Bourban was coming up as soon as this whole thing. I knew Bourban was coming out.
Speaker 1: I didn't even know you knew who he was. He was before your era.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I probably I knew he played for the Nuggets. I feel like I've seen him with the Nuggets, I mean.
Speaker 1: As well with Lebron. But okay, regardless, So if the only guy in the league who's been suspended for hardcore drugs comes out and starts doing this celebration all the time, and the league is like a man chill. So then he comes out and does a new one where he ties off the vein and does like a fake injection. We're like, oh, what's the problem, I'm getting vaccinated? What guys like something? Not everything is the same for everyone.
Speaker 2: And you made your bed with that man.
Speaker 1: So here's so this is where So I think the reason Demons said I hate feeling the way I feel about this is because objectively, the video of Job doing this is hilarious. We can all acknowledge that Ja that the fact of the matter, that the timeline being this, Jah does the gun celebration, the league says, don't do that. He then does it three more times, so the league finds him. He then hears Gilbert Renus and say he should pretend to throw a grenade. Gilbertorenus, who by the way, once brought a gun into a locker room, got in trouble, but not huge trouble. And when he came back from his suspension in the intros, did the Yosemite sam guns in the air, and that is what got him in huge trouble. That guy says, pretend to throw a grenade and he does it. That's the timeline. But here's the more important timeline. And by the way, Birdman did test positive for drug use, but we don't know what drugs it was. I guess in my head. I just always thought it was heroin, but it could have been anything. Don't sue us, Birdman, I also love him. Uh So here's the timeline. Jahn Morant. He is the only NBA player who has gotten in trouble for showing up on Instagram live in a club with a gun. He is the only NBA player who has gotten in trouble in the NBA for showing up on a different Instagram live in a car with what appeared to be a gun. He is the only NBA player who, in the last few years has had to go to court because a high schooler who lives on his block says, we got into a fight and he came out of his house with a gun. He is the only NBA player who got into it with another team and then after the game got in a fringe car and that team says, from that car pointed at our bus was a red laser site, the likes of which are typically attached to a gun, so yes, he might be the only NBA player that Adam Silver says, let's tamp down on the munition's related celebrations, even if we all think it would be kind of hilarious in the moment. If in tonight's game against Minnesota, Jah hits a three and then all of a sudden d Desmond Bane is like on a knee holding what looks to be an artillery shell and he's loading it. We all like doing this if all of a sudden he like road Runner in Coyote, dunks on somebody and then runs the other end of the court and does the old TNT cabo. Yes, I get it, but here's the other piece of it. And this is why I was again, sorry to be corny and sorry to be the old man, but proud of Demandse as a father and Demanse's jaw's ah, you're a few months older than him. Proud of your answer because everyone just knows in their gut this shit could end really badly. And it's not because we think John Morant is all of a sudden going to actually have a great aid. We don't think that, but we do know that if you are acting a.
Speaker 4: Fool, get called out for acting a fool, get consequenced for acting a fool, and then increase the acting of fullness.
Speaker 1: That very often you end up fucking up. That's what it is. And it would appear to me that job every once in a while, and anybody that used to go or you know, if you're in your too, if you still go out to clubs. And I was actually just in a club in Memphis the night after the Lakers game, so that I'm forty years old, I was the old guy in the club. What a bummer. But uh, the but think back to your heyday college days, post college twenties. You can always tell if a guy in there is acting a certain way to impress the women there, or if he is acting a certain way to impress his buddies. And those are two very different types of guys, and those are two very different risk profiles. The guy that actually wants to impress women or pick up a girl one of the safest guys to be around. It's like, na, like he's gonna, you know, he's gonna tamp down on situations. He's gonna you know, all that. He's that's why he's out. He's out there trying to meet a girl. The guy who said he went out to go pick up a girl, but is actually going out to try to be the biggest baller in the room or to try to impress his buddies. That guy you gotta be careful about, because that guy will escalate situations and that guy will the ego and the testosterone and all is dangerous. And I, by the way, for a lot of us, probably both people on this show right now, at various points, we've been both of those guys depending on like for real, like they're the I'm not trying to speak for you, but I but I mean, I think I can. At both points, we have been the man, I'm trying to have a good time. I'm trying to meet somebody. And we've been the man I'm a you know, excuse me, excuse me, excuse me, stepped on my shoe. The and so I the reason I tell that anecdote is it feels to me like Jos's doing this stuff to impress his buddies. They ain't gonna tell me what to do. I'm gonna show and that that is you're in the NBA.
Speaker 2: You're you're in the NBA.
Speaker 1: That's the thing. Guess what, man, your buddies are impressed. You pay for everything, you go everywhere you want, You have access to everything you want have access to. You have your own shoe and your own commercials, and for all intent and purposes, your own city. And so it does worry me. I'm not I'm not trying to be a scold. It does actually worry me. And so that's that's why as objectively now, speaking of celebrations that I wish had happened, I was talking with Wild about this yesterday. How great would it have been if after Luca's first three he had done like cracked a beer and then chugged it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hell, and like.
Speaker 1: After his second three, like pantomimes hitting a.
Speaker 5: Hookah, like lighting it hell, Like a whole thing where if Luca's entire celebrations were related to you guys called me a fat alcoholic and he was just throughout the night like pretending to shotgun beers, did a stand like Austin.
Speaker 1: Reeves come over, they help him do a fake keg stand. He just leans into the whole thing. Now, Luca's too mature for that, I guess, But that would have been the dream for Luca to be like you guys say I'm an alcoholic. And also the other thing that definitely should have happened is at that press conference, he should have been drinking the exact type of beer that Michael Finley took out of his hand after the conference finals last year. He he, I wish he would have leaned into that more. Now, the Gatorade ad. You saw the Gatorade ad.
Speaker 2: Gatorade ad.
Speaker 1: This is a little fifteen second Gatorade commercial. Luca is sitting there dribbling the basketball and then gets up and walks away. But the way they have positioned the Gatorade towel around his shoulders, it looks like it spells out Trader and it's wow, it's awesome. But Luca took the high road.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he Dido. He's like still really really hurt about it.
Speaker 1: I don't think he's really hurt. Did you hear him after the game when he said when he said I get to sleep in my own bed. Yeah, he's like, I can sleep in my bed, like he No, he is really hurt, and I it's why what he did last night was so impressive. All right, let's do a few listener questions.
Speaker 3: Noah asked Nick do you think that lay because we'll be better right now if Mark Williams. If the Mark Williams train I went through, I jesus good, yes.
Speaker 1: You okay, buddy, Sorry turned Demondi's mic off for a bit. These guys choking. I Mark Williams has been awesome since the trade didn't go through. Really, what that question is, do I think Mark Williams would add more value to them this season than Dalton Connect because that was the player in the trade, And the answer that's probably yes. But saving those first round picks for a bigger move might be better for them long term. But we'll see. And we'll also again, Mark Williams never played playoff basketball, neither's Dalton Connect. They're telling me there was a ton of Orlando Magic talk in the chat, so they wanted me to say something about the Magic. Great job by the Magic last night beating the backup Celtics, And I say that sincere I and in what maybe is a playoff preview, except it won't be backup Celtics. Here's what I'll tell you. The Magic offense is terrible, but the defense is just enough of a pain in the ass that if you're Boston you would prefer prefer Orlando lose their first playing game, so you get Atlanta or the Bulls or the Heat in that round one matchup?
Speaker 2: Uh what else, dude, Andrew says.
Speaker 3: Everyone says Luca needs to play mad, But do you think it's not solely anger but also other emotions he can use his fuel?
Speaker 1: Maybe? I don't know. You probably have to ask a psychologist. I ain't anger does it for him?
Speaker 2: Though?
Speaker 1: I think he and that's why the ejection made me so mad. And this is we'll leave it on this the If you need to channel your anger and your vitriol at somebody, you you have. The safest bet in the arena is find an annoying, famous heckler and do it to him. I channeled another player. I can get in trouble. I channeled another coach. I can get in trouble. Channel it at the ref, I can get in trouble, channel it at my teammates. Those is off. The absolute not high of what you should go after is, Oh, this clown who talks about the game within the game and heckled me during the playoffs last year. He and I are going to go back and forth and he got thrown out for it all right, Eric, question for you.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 1: Before we go, Eric has a question for you. Eric, I want to ask it.
Speaker 2: I want to ask you.
Speaker 1: Celtics are in the finals. It's Game seven, Western Conference Finals, thunder Lakers. Who you would rather play the thunder?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's And by the way, Eric, thank you for that. I'm gonna put Wilde to that same question today on the TV show. Speaking of the TV show, I gotta go. Great job everybody. We should will have the regular schedule next week, but also we will have if the Warriors are in the play in we'll probably do a you know, reaction pot of those games. Other than that, we might do some play in reaction stuff. I've got an anniversary this weekend, We've got TV. We got a lot going on. But we will see you guys at the latest Tuesday at ten thirty am Eastern back here, if not earlier. Great job. Demand's a great job. Everyone at Blue Duck. Great job. Everyone at Volume Drafts appreciate you guys.
Speaker 2: What's right