Speaker 1: Welcome to Good Game with Sarah Spain, where we're stocking up on hot Off the Press's PWHL gear.
Speaker 2: That Victoire logo is fire.
Speaker 1: On today's show, we're gonna be chatting with the athletics Meglenahan about Alex Morgan's final pro game, the legacy she leaves behind, and why the Orlando Pride are so damn good. Plus, the PWHL has team names, the Music City is getting some hoops, and it's the Taylor Swift crossover we all deserve. It's all coming up right after this. Welcome back, my little slices. Here's what you need to know today. The Professional Women's Hockey League aka the PWHL revealed its six team names and logos yesterday. Here they are the Boston Fleet, Minnesota Frost, Montreal Victoire, New York Sirens, Ottawa Charge, and Toronto Scepters. The teams are keeping their primary colors from season one, and the league plans to unveil jersey designs closer to the start of the season. We hear a good Game are already huge fans. The Toronto Scepters. Shout out to Twitter user Sarah Jenkins, who noted that the team logo, which is an intertwined TNS, looks pretty similar to the logo on the cheerleading uniform. Taylor Swift warn the music video for Shake It Off, So I don't care if they're pandering the t Swift fans. That T and thats look pretty good Toronto. And for those of you who don't like the names your logos, just know this. The players are gonna play play, play, play play, and the haters are gonna hate hate, hate, hate hate. Baby, I'm just gonna shake, shake, shake, shake shape. Also in PWHL news, Toronto captain Natalie Spooner, who ended last season with the n Acltair, has revealed that her rehab is going well and she's returning to the ice this week. Basketball news, Athletes Unlimited is announced its twenty twenty five season will be held in Nashville, Tennessee, with games being played at the Municipal Auditorium, which seats about eight thousand fans. The first Athletes Unlimited basketball season was held in Vegas, while Dallas played host the last two years. The twenty twenty five season will run from February fifth through March second. League officials also said that twenty nine of the forty players signed on have WNBA experience. This year, AU faces a bit of competition in signing players because of Unrivaled, the new three on three league founded by Brianna Stewart, and the FISA Collier. A bunch of big names have already been announced by Unrivaled, but we do know folks like Sid Colson have announced their return to Athletes Unlimited as well. We're just psyched either way that players have more options to play stateside during the WNBA offseason. Speaking of the WNBA, we all know that Diana Tarassi is nearing the end of her career, but just how close is it to ending? Because on Monday, The Phoenix Mercury posted a cryptic message on social media.
Speaker 2: It was a compilation video of DT over the years, with the.
Speaker 1: Caption, if this is it, you have two more opportunities to see the greatest of all time at home.
Speaker 2: Now what the fuck? Come on? That can't be how we find out now listen.
Speaker 1: If you think this is impossible, like DT would for sure have some sort of season long retirement campaign, think again, because back in twenty twenty two, when she was asked how long she plan to keep playing, she told reporters quote, when I'm done playing, I'm just gonna stop playing. I'm not going to ease my way out. So yeah, maybe this is it, And it is actually what Sue Bird predicted when she came on the show a few months ago. Let's run the tape. How much longer you think she's going to play?
Speaker 2: Gone to my head? This is probably it, But okay, I don't know. It gets tricky when you're older and you're still playing at a high level.
Speaker 3: Listen, you wouldn't want it the other way. You wouldn't want to be like stinking it up or god forbid injury, Like you wouldn't want any of that.
Speaker 2: But it does make the decision. You're kind of like, oh, I can still do it, But I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think she has other thing she might want to get to, So we'll see. I mean, those two are besties, but I'm not ready. We said this a few shows ago. Can we get no more legends hanging them up?
Speaker 2: This season? We have cried all of our tears DT No, not yet.
Speaker 1: Also, I'm a little bit worried, guys, because we talk about this on a previous show. She is perilously close to getting another technical and missing a game. Like if she gets a tech in the second to last game and then she's sitting on the bench for her last game.
Speaker 2: Ever, I mean to.
Speaker 1: Be fair, that would be a very Dina Troossi way to go on, just double middle fingering everybody on her way out of the arena.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I'd rather see her play, but there is something very special about picturing DT just teching her.
Speaker 2: Way out of the league. Oh.
Speaker 1: I just remembered though, that the Mercury in the playoffs, So even if she misses the last regular season game, she would still play in the playoffs and technical's reset.
Speaker 2: So I don't know. Now, I sort of hope that she.
Speaker 1: Ends up spending the last game of the regular season. No, because the fans are going to travel to see her at home. All right, all right, fine, no more tex DT hould off for right now. All right, we got to take a break. When we come back, we talk foody with the Athletics Meglenahan. She's a senior writer for the Athletic who covers the US women's national team, the NWSL, and all things women's soccer. She also co hosts the Fantastic Weekly podcast Full time with Meg Lenahan. She loves skiing Vermont and her dog, DeWitt, who fits nicely in a little doggy backpack.
Speaker 2: It's Meg Lenahan. What's up, Meg?
Speaker 3: Oh, not too much, just hiding from the heat in San Diego in my hotel room. Right at the moment, I.
Speaker 1: Have heard extremely hot. But we have to start with the most important question first. What is the origin of the name DeWitt?
Speaker 3: Actually the TV show Dollhouse, which is a very deep cut so not familiar. That was yeah, no, it was an old Eliza Dashkou fronted TV show. That's where it comes from.
Speaker 2: When DeWitt does something bad, do you ever say do what? No?
Speaker 3: She does have many nicknames though, and we did just decide recently that she has advanced to her final Pokemon form, which is a Gremlin perfect.
Speaker 1: So yes, great, yep, you mentioned you're in Sandygo. You were there for Alex Morgan's final game. She assists in the thirteenth minute. She subs out in the thirteenth minute, tears in her eyes. Big crowd twenty five thousand plus other than a loss for the wave, sort of a storybook ending for number thirteen, but it.
Speaker 2: Felt too sudden.
Speaker 1: For me, I it just the news of I'm pregnant and by the way, this is my last game, and then I'm just done.
Speaker 2: I didn't have time to process it.
Speaker 1: So take us to the stadium on Sunday, Like what stood out to and did it feel that same suddenness to you?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I mean I think we're also so used to getting these kind of farewell tours. I mean you think about Megan Rapino or Ali Krieger or Carly Lloyd, like we've gotten kind of that big, long farewell for sometimes both club and country, and then yeah, it's Thursday, like midday we get the video, and then Friday the press conference, Sunday the final game. So there really has been I think this heightened emotional state too, because all of it is so sudden, and to be fair, I think part of it for Sunday was I mean, it was like one hundred and two degrees when the game started, so everybody's also just kind of like, Okay, we're out here, we're doing it for Alex. Great. But what I think I was really struck by is on Friday she talked, you know, Alex Morgan has done a lot of media over the years. For sure, but on Friday, hilariously prompted by Naomi Germa in her final press conference, pregame to kind of think about what her final or like her favorite memory was, and she talked about some of those celebrations where she could finally smile and be a human and to see that really come through on Sunday, Obviously, I think she was very attuned to her own emotions, but I think also trying to be very intentional about I'm going to smile my way through this because I also denied myself smiling for so much of my career. And being able to be on the field with a camera and kind of get that close up view of her just really going through those emotions was very special. And to have such a rambunctious crowd all of those signs there was a lot happening, And again I think it was really just this heightened state because everybody only had four days to process, and I think a good everyone had like a day to figure out how they were getting the San Diego.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I was thinking about this because there are people who have played pregnant through and far deeper into their pregnancies than whatever we assume her pregnancy is.
Speaker 2: That since it's not showing yet.
Speaker 1: But I was wondering if if I were coaching the opposition to a team where someone was playing her last game and had announced her pregnancy, I would be like, listen, y'all, I want to win, and also I don't want y'all to get caught in a clip where it looks like you're roughing up a pregnant lady.
Speaker 2: Do you think there was a directive to be like just a little bit extra.
Speaker 3: Just like give her a little bit of space, Yeah, I mean there never really was. I mean, also, she just so good at running off of someone's back shoulder, So I think there was kind of the sense of, well, when when San Diego get corner kicks, I did sort of notice that she was in her own little pocket, and I was just like, could you just maybe back up a little bit, Like you don't have to you don't have to like go up for contested header right now, Like, let's maybe not do that. And I think she knew like what her own physical limitations were. I mean, that was something that she had talked about of just making that decision to retire and knowing like, okay, there's only I've lost a little bit of my touch over the past few weeks, and so knowing that she was going to play limited minutes, obviously that symbolic like we've got to get her to thirteen. It took her another couple of minutes to actually like make it off the field. But yeah, I think everybody was kind of mentally being like, okay, just don't. Also, the field was so bad in San Diego, which is this ongoing problem, so it was just also like can we not have a Megan Rapino? Yeah, like a repeat of like a torn achilles No, no, we not.
Speaker 1: Do that pregnant and rehabbing an achilles either, Like you don't Yeah? Those Yeah, so many awards accomplished on the football side and off the field.
Speaker 2: What is Alex Morgan's legacy to you?
Speaker 3: I mean, I think the off the field stuff is as much as you know, like the Caps and the goals and assists like she's on I think every top ten list you could probably be on for the national team and for a lot of the the NWSEL list too. But between the equal pay fight and everything having to do with the NWSL, like, I think there's kind of three wings of the Alex Morgan legacy. There's the on the field stuff. There is the fight of equal pay and player safety and NBSEL. But then there's also that like commercial weight that she had and how important And this was also at a time where a lot of people weren't putting money in a women's We weren't on the rocket ship yet twenty thirteen, twenty fourteen, right.
Speaker 1: And if anyone knows what it looked like before the rocket ship, it's Meg, because Meg has been there since. It's been like two other people trying to get a postgame interview made.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So there there was this sense of Alex Morgan being the face of a program, and that is both you know, there are pluses and cons to it. I think there were some resentments from other players even of like why does Alex get all of this attention, but then her using that part of her power to bring that back around for either the national team for players in general. She's also just I think a very underrated labor leader as well, Like everything having to do with the equal pay fight, she does. She does love a fight, like I think that is built into her personality. Yeah, I mean, like you think about that that final Columbia game AM seven coming in a little testy, and so she's got that spark to her. But I think a lot of the stuff, both on the field and off the field, doesn't really happen without that commercial part. And that is not like it looks really attractive. I think if you're on the outside, you're like, oh, yeah, you're on the cover of all these magazines and cool, and that is not always there is a cost to that and so, and there's also a way to use that for something better. So I think you have to consider all of those pieces of her legacy together because she used all She used the performance on the field to unlock the commercials. She used the commercial to unlock the fight stuff. The fight stuff fueled the performances on the field, and so all of them are so intertwined, and no one else I think has a legacy across all three of those wings the way that Alex Morgan does.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe Pino at Pinoso.
Speaker 3: But like even in Like Later I think too.
Speaker 1: On the Heead the door was open to her in part because of the palatableness of Alex that allowed us allowed us to have a more complicated figure.
Speaker 2: As the Hunter.
Speaker 3: Two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, your coverage of Alex's last game was of course filled with important context and thoughtful analysis and impactful quotes and even your own photography.
Speaker 2: ESPN's a recap, on the other hand, not so much. Now.
Speaker 1: They had plenty of coverage from actual reporters and human writers. But we talked about these AI recaps when they were first announced, and this was a good opportunity for them to show us that they did have humans overseeing the process and that they would be meaningful and useful, and not so much if the recap of that game doesn't mention Alex Morgan, You've been in the soccer media space for a long time. You were writing about soccer before there were other people doing it. Now there's AI robots trying to take the job of those new people that came into the space. I get that they want recaps instead of none, but if they're going to be like this, what does it mean and how do you see it?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I mean it is tough because also, I mean I work for an outlet that I was supposed to be in DC for the Washington Spirit Portland Thorns game and literally we on a moment's notice changed and flew me across the country right, which takes a lot of money, and so there is a real investment. They were the first outlet hire a full The Athletic was the first outlet to hire a full time women's soccer writer. My job didn't exist before I got it in twenty nineteen. And so I think there is the sense of and I try to ask this on Twitter too, like in the most good faith reading of what ESPN is trying to do, which is they wouldn't do these game recaps otherwise they have human beings, right. They pointed to Jeff Kasouf, who, to be fair, had a whole bunch of great coverage, wasn't on the ground, but had a great story about Alex Morgan's final game. They did have ESPN folks on the ground. I saw them with my own two eyeballs, so they did have people here. But there is this sense of we are still just absolutely scrapping for every single little bit of coverage that we can get with real, live humans for the sport. Like we've seen all this explosive growth on women's soccer over the past couple of years, and we have not seen that outside of the broadcast sphere. And this was my own struggle too, being at that game of flying in and kind of having mental expectations of what I would actually be able to do on the ground, and like, I'm super glad that we got to talk to Alex after the game. Obviously she was going to be in super high demand Landon Donovan interim head coach. But I was kind of thinking, like, we'll have a mixed zone. Surely I'll be able to talk to Naomi Germa or Kaylen Sheridan, all these players who have known her a very long time.
Speaker 2: Nope.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And so it was just kind of like, you, you are going to get the NBSEL is going to get a big bump from this game no matter what. Obviously, everything that they did with that broadcast of CBS agreeing to have it on ESPN and Amazon Prime Video and all the like spectacular stuff. But at the same time, you can't only service your broadcast partners. You've got to think about media coverage as a larger hole. And that's where unfortunately I put my little nerd hat on. I'm like, Okay, how do we because now we are being confronted with AI creeping into this space and knowing what we immediately saw that first product, and also you know, someone went through all those recaps too, and was like every time they're saying like this is what where a team is playing next weekend, it is not correct, which should.
Speaker 1: Probably because yeah, the NWSL uses the opposite format of predominantly American sports, which will show the second team is the one the game is at.
Speaker 3: But also they're not even doing proper pairings.
Speaker 2: For this, not even the right matchups.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, it's all it's all completely bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so this is this is the thing.
Speaker 1: It's like, like you said, the best faith explanation is to say I'm glad they're trying to do something instead of nothing and to continue adding coverage. On the other hand, there has to be this better balance of the resources put into something with the expectations of what you're getting out of it, and in women's sports, that has always been the flaw. And so as we're seeing these products and these leagues put more investment, put more money in the media, coverage has a tremendous impact on how people see the value of that product. And when you have outlets that aren't willing like ESPN has a once a week women's soccer showed out great, but if you're going to have that then we should also be able to trust you as a place that we're going to for something as simple as game recaps.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think, you know, it's tough. I haven't written a game recap probably in about five years, so like there is a sense of like what is useful, what can add value to the space, And sometimes game recaps really are like yeah, I want to know the story of what happened in a game, And so I think there is still a demand for them. But the problem is, and I see this even in my own role of when you are working in women's sports, you have to fulfill so many different things all the time. Like I have to do analysis, I have to do breaking news, I have to do columns. I have to do you know, like big field photographer.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Like and to be fair, I wanted to do that, like that's going back to my og roots. But also there is a sense of like you get to specialize in men's sports in a way that you don't get to in women's sports.
Speaker 2: Ever got to be a one woman band.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that pressure too of like oh, if I'm not doing this, who's going to do it? And we're trying to take that part out of your brain and being like, no, actually you can.
Speaker 2: Go to bed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, after being outside for like ten hours and one hundred degree heat, Megan, please eat a meal and go to bed Like that was something that I even had to work on myself, being five or six years into the shop.
Speaker 1: Now this brings us nicely to our next question, which relates to the players feeling like that, like a little bit overworked. This season has a lot of in season tournaments and competitions in addition to the NWSL schedule of course the Olympics, but also NWSL, Times League, MX, Feminial Summer Cup, CONKA, caf W Champions Cup.
Speaker 2: Is it all too much? How do you.
Speaker 1: Reconcile the demand without getting in the way of player recovery, bodies, all that stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think, And this is what we're going to start seeing too in the CBA as well, right, Like, the CBA is going to play a big role in trying to at least I think, limit some of this and to be fair, part of to go back to this bigger theme of commercialization, This is kind of the natural outcome where everybody's figuring out like, Okay, we can make We've got to make money together. How do we do that, and on the other part of that is the player's safety side. And it's not just about recovery or how many games they're playing in the minutes they're piling up on their bodies. It's also like, how are you flying players to places? Right? And I don't know if the NWSL has a great solution for this yet. And you get kind of these external places like fIF PRO, which is the Global Players Union, that try to do these studies, which I think are really good helpful data points. But the one place where I am encouraged for the end of BSEL is they just actually announced a pair of hires. But one of them is Sarah Gregorias, who was the former director of women's football at fIF PRO, and she's coming at this from a very specific point of view. And Sarah Gregorias is a person that I truly trust to have players at the heart of what she wants to accom and so I think that higher to me, really does show there is real intent from the NWSL of like, Okay, we want to make as much money as possible, and also the players are going to benefit off of that money making now, but how do we do this in a way where we're not actively destroying people at the same time.
Speaker 2: And the product.
Speaker 1: The product is the players, so if they're injured or unable to play, that's a huge part of selling it the game as well. Since you brought up the CBA, lots of changes coming as results of that new CBA.
Speaker 2: What do you think will end up being the most impactful part of the agreement.
Speaker 3: I mean, there's there's a lot to dig into, and we still actually haven't even really seen the full version of the CBA. But I think what the players wanted to accomplish with this new CBA is freedom of movement, and that is what they have achieved. And I think we're going to eventually have bigger questions of like, did they maybe give up some money in order to get the wins on freedom of movement that they wanted? And I think the answer will probably be yes. But they might be okay with that trade because it is total free agency. There's no discovery list, waiver lists, like all of that stuff is now gone. You can't get traded without knowing about it, right, which is the terrible Lynn William's story, amongst others. And so I think that is going to be the defining piece of this because also there's no drafts, right Like, teams are really going to have to work to attract and retain talent in a way that they have never been forced to before. But at the same time, they're probably going to make more money down the line, so they're going to be able to like afford more talent. So it is going to reshape this league.
Speaker 1: It'll be interesting to see the haves and have nots in a league that has very clear ones right now, how that will shake out when it's kind of required that you need to actually have good facilities, good resources, people want to play for you, all of that stuff quickly. What is a crucial item left on the to do list? There has been so much progress for this league, but what do you see as being something that's going to come up in the next couple years that still needs to be addressed beyond what we talked about with maybe try and player health.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think there is still the sense of, you know, we've had a whole generation now I players retire that I think we're some of the really big household names and now the NWSL has to figure out how do you turn Trinity Rodman, Sophia Smith, Mouse wantson even to some extent like a lot of these players and teams like this is now maybe the chance to build some of these storylines and individual and team narratives. I mean, we've obviously seen team valuations skyrocketing and all that sort of stuff, but I think there is still the sense maybe of people watching in Europe being like, okay, but what is angel City? It's yeah, Manchester City or Manchester United, right, Like, there's no there is both a blessing and a curse of not having some of this history. And so now with having a deal that runs through twenty thirty, you can maybe take that step back and say, who do we want to be as a league? Right, Like, what is the five year vision for the n of USEL would still love to know what that is?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, so that is containing people for that long?
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: When there's as much turnover as there has been throughout the start of the league, whether that's teams, owners, commissioners, et cetera, then it is always just a we're refreshing now, Okay, well what does the new look look like? And then it lasts for a couple of years and then we're like and we're starting again, which makes it really hard.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And also, you know, post twenty twenty three World Cup where the US crashed out so early, there was such a focus on how do you bring in all this international talent? And now the question has to be how do you retain all of the international talent? How do you keep bringing in more? Are you making sure that you can still compete with some of these skyrocketing salaries over in Europe? And now also you've got free agency that matches with that, so you've set up a lot of the like roster stuff of it. But now we've got to think about Okay, you've said you want to be the best league in the world. For a long time, the NBSEL kind of coast it on claiming that title, and now I think they actually have to prove it, and that's a big, big challenge.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: One of the first things I thought about when I joined the Red Stars ownership group was how do you create organic tradition and nostalgia for a product that's very young.
Speaker 2: It's very cool that you could.
Speaker 1: Start inventing that, but it feels difficult to do. And I would look at the spaces around Chicago, like the Cubs and say, there's so many built in things that you just know are a part of going to a game and being a fan. That are really hard to do both in soccer because there aren't that many breaks and moments throughout the game with pauses where you can have things happen, but also just people can feel when it feels inauthentic. So I think the league needs to continue to figure out how to establish who it is and why it's a part of your identity instead of just something you buy a ticket to every once in a while. That's the real shift, is when sports become your identity and not just one of your many entertainment options. And I think the NWSL, I think some of the players are going to help. And you mentioned the international players. On an individual level, a couple of those players have taken the league by storm. You look at the CAC Currents, Temwashuwinga, you look at the Pride Barbara Banda. That's two of them extraordinary in the NWA sell and outside.
Speaker 2: Where do you rank them.
Speaker 1: As the as the best forwards currently I guess and potential in the future that you could see from.
Speaker 3: Them, Yeah, I mean they have immediately just come in and I think revolutionized this league. Both of them potentially could set and break the single season scoring record set by Sam Kerr. But I think there is this real sense of those are two players that not only can you build, but then the NWSL is a league can be like, look at what we have done right, bringing in this international talent and using them as a framework to build upon and show how important we can be to an international framework. But I mean Barbara Banda and Tim much having seen them both in like, they are just on a completely different level. I mean, honestly, I know you just said like you've got to have it be an identity, but like, if you can buy a ticket and see either of these players play, you have to do it. And there is a sense here of this could really just be the start, right, like this is their first season. To be fair, they have immediately adjusted. But what happens in year two and Orlando Pride to like Kansas City current? Obviously Tim Wuchunga is like the Star, but Orlando Pride is the most complete NWSEL team I have ever seen in this league. And also with Marta as well, just immediately becoming this vintage version of herself the season and unlocking just scoring a goal even this past weekend and like we're watching something very special in the NWSEL this year. I don't know how it will end, but I think this is one where we just kind of have to sit back and be like, we're never going to see anything like this again.
Speaker 1: Your tea and me right up, because I have to ask the Orlando Pride used to be a team that was the punchline of jokes about where you would get traded if you played poorly, Like nobody wanted to go to the Pride top of the table unbeaten since THENTO twenty twenty three, can anyone beat them?
Speaker 2: And how do you explain this turnaround?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Again, it's so that very easy answer is just investment and someone caring, right, and Hailey Carter as a GM coming in someone who had played in this league, knows this league so well. I think has just kind of come in with this very clear eyed approach of like I know what this team can be. Very much helps seb Hines becoming a coach that has just led this team into uncharted territory. But for Orlando, I think this simple answer is just like someone finally said, like, okay, let's start on the money and see what happens. Yeah, and so part of that is ownership. Part of that is having a plan for that money. And I think you know the piece now too is Okay, we haven't quite seen we've seen all the performances on the field. How do you get attendance into that place where the team deserves That is still again a much bigger question that the end of Busel has never really unlocked the answer to it. But from an on the field point of view, it's just really I think you could see it brewing at the start of twenty twenty three. Adding in Barbara banda immediate game changer. But they have a strong defensive unit as well. I mean like they are just they're clicking. And usually I would say like, oh, you don't want to be that team heading into postseason looking like this, because that's that's where you get tripped up. And this year I'm actually like, I don't, I don't know, man, Like it might not make a difference. Yeah, I think the game, like I said this on my podcast, but that game against the Spirit on October sixth, like that's the one I have circled because currently that's the one and two teams. So that's the one where you're like, well maybe maybe uh, but they just look unstoppable.
Speaker 2: They look pretty good. We're running out of time here.
Speaker 1: So I got to ask you, though, how many teams do I have to give you for you to say that's the number that I believe could truly win it all this year?
Speaker 3: I would say, I mean this year. Every the twenty twenty three narrative was parody, right, and that is not the narrative of twenty twenty four. I do think this narrative. Yeah, there's there's like a clear top. I mean there's Orlando Pride, and then there's like three or four teams, and then there's like a mid pack and then there's the rest. But I do think, you know, once you get in the playoffs, it can be really tough, totally predicted. It also just depends on like who's hosting, what's the weather, like what are we getting in ourselves into. But I think there's probably a good four teams that I'm like, yeah, no, I could believe it. But also I think anyone not the Orlando Pride is still going.
Speaker 2: To have Yeah, it's Pride versus the field basically.
Speaker 3: This Yeah, I would I think that's still pretty fair.
Speaker 2: All right. Last question.
Speaker 1: We have a segment on the show called No Dumb Questions, and we invite listeners to send us questions things that are on their minds. But we actually have a dumb question ourselves this time because we don't know the answer. Producer Alex asked us and we were like, we don't know. Does Alex Morgan's retirement before the end of the season open up salary cap space for the wave?
Speaker 3: I would assume so. I would assume so. But the problem is is that the win did just close at least the trade window, but in theory they should I think be able to add because the roster freeze date has not happened yet.
Speaker 2: Right, Okay, so probably maybe likely?
Speaker 3: Yes, I would. I would, That would be my initial. That's a good one to be, like, Hello, NWSL, can I just verify this for you? But like I would, guess that's right.
Speaker 1: Thanks Meg for coming on. I always appreciate talking to you. Are go to source for everything, so keep up the good work. And even though I do want you to sleep and take naps, I also do want you to work like all the time so that I always have the content that I want.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'll keep that in mind. That's what I'll use to justify it to my wife. And I'm like, actually, I need to work this weekend because Sarah Spain wants me to.
Speaker 2: Sarah Spain said, so you can blame me. You can blame me.
Speaker 1: Thanks again to Meg for taking the time we got to pay the bills. Stick around, welcome back slices. As always, we love that you're listening, but we want you to get in the game every day too.
Speaker 2: So here's our good game play of the day.
Speaker 1: We want to hear what you think about the PWHL logos and names.
Speaker 2: What's your favorite? Is there one you're not feeling?
Speaker 1: Do you think the Ottawa Charge logo looks just like the Calgary Flames logo? Because if so, you're not alone. Tell us what you think. Which jersey are you pre ordering? And do you think the new names are an improvement over the names that were leaked last year? Because last year there were names trademarked and there was a lot of response to them. They were Toronto, Torch, Montreal, Echo, Ottawa, Alert, Minnesota, Superior, Boston, Wicked and New York Sound. I think we're better off with the new ones. I mean I think we're all happy that the league didn't go through with the Ottawa Alert. I know they were honoring history and a previous women's team called the Ottawa Alerts from like nineteen fifteen, and that's a noble idea, but that just doesn't sing as a name Ottawa Alert.
Speaker 2: No. We're a little torn on them.
Speaker 1: Ditch in Boston Wicked though, because on the one hand, there's an opportunity there for a lot of Witch content. It's the title that we have reclaimed and we now celebrate, and the opportunity to hear Boston people saying their team is Wicked, good, Wicked, smart. I like that, but I do worry that people would think they're buying tickets for the musical and not the hockey games. I guess they're right on that one. I guess we can say goodbye to the Boston Wicked, but let us know what you think of the new ones. Hit us up on email good game at wondermedianetwork dot com, or leave us a voicemail at eight seven two two oh four fifty seventy. Hit me up on Twitter at Sarah Spain or on Insta at Spain two three two three and as always how many times I gotta tell you? Subscribe, Rate and review, scroll down, find the stars, hit five, leave a review, tell us you love us. It's super easy. Watch vet bills rating one out of five. Review Like, we get it, it's necessary, and we know healthcare is expensive, and we definitely think vets deserve to get paid they're basically heroes.
Speaker 2: But also doesn't it feel.
Speaker 1: A little bit like taking advantage of our love for our furry babies. I mean, there is nothing like getting a clean bill of health from a pupper, but the bill of expense is too grand. Like I can't even be as excited as I want to be for my little fur child when it cost me two thousand dollars to find out he's perfectly fine. And don't even get me started on private equity buying up animal hospitals.
Speaker 2: Big vet is a real thing, y'all. Look it up. Sucks, but my pup is healthy. Now it's your turn.
Speaker 1: Rate and review, Thanks for listening, See you tomorrow. Good game, Meg, Good game, pwhl you loopy pet post vet poopin.
Speaker 2: In your bedroom TMI.
Speaker 1: Good Game with Sarah Spain is an iHeart women's sports production in partnership with Deep Blue Sports and Entertainment.
Speaker 2: You can find us on.
Speaker 1: The iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. Production by Wonder Media Network. Our producers are Alex Azzi and Misha Jones. Our executive producers are Christina Everett, Jesse Katz, Jenny Cap and Emily Rutterer. Our editors are Jenny Kaplan, Emily Rudder, Brittany Martinez and Grace Lynch. Production assistants from Lucy Jones and I'm Your Host Sarah Spain