Speaker 1: A bit of a development story with the US women's gymnastics team at the Olympics on this Sunday, July the twenty eighth, And as we start this Sunday, the official Olympic medal count at the start of this day Australia, the United States, and Italy on top in overall medals one so far five each. Australia and China have the most gold medal so far, three each.
Speaker 2: Also in today's edition of the Tea from Perry, an Olympic dream comes to a shocking and it was a heartbreaking end for an American star. On Day one plus ten, USA's first gold medal of the Paris Games was one in the pool. And meanwhile the water speaking of that in the river sin Well, it might be too dirty for competition. And the IOC apologizes for screwing up big time a country's name during the opening ceremony, And a coach has been found dead at Olympic village.
Speaker 1: Also in this episode, won't the real US men's soccer team please stand up? The best excuse a man has ever given for losing his wedding ring. We found our favorite Olympic commentator and our runaway winner for favorite Olympic moment of Day one. Everybody, welcome to this somewhat distracted edition episode of Amy and TJ robes. This works perfectly for us. That's so much of the competition happening in Paris. It's happening six hours ahead of us, so we can get up first thing in the morning here literally at three and four am, and there is live Olympic coverage going on, like right now.
Speaker 2: It's a dream come true for you. TJ set the alarm at three forty five am this morning, Sunday morning, and right now as we are recording this podcast, we are watching the US women's gymnastics team. We don't want to give away we don't want to create any spoilers here what we are watching them compete. And it has been a fantastic morning watching. To me, the best Olympic sport there is. I'm a little biased, but man do I love watching gymnastics.
Speaker 1: And we got up yesterday and we got stuck. I stay stuck because it wasn't the plan. It's like once you start watching a show and then use next thing you know, you've streamed like twenty two episodes. That was the men's gymnastics for US yesterday we ended up watching pretty much everything and they're qualifying and now the women's is going on, and again Robes just said it. We should always tell folks we will not even though no matter what time we record and what we know about competition and results, we won't give you any spoilers here every day as we're doing this. But there was at least Robes this morning as we've been watching a bit of a development that people will be talking about with the US women's gymnastics team having to do with Simone Biles, something we've been watching here for the past hour.
Speaker 2: Now, that's right, you will see for yourself, but there is certainly going to be some headlines regarding some own Biles. We have been thoroughly enjoying. Wow, these performances, and you know what, you'll see this when you all watch, if you haven't already. But we just noticed they have put they have put heart monitors on the parents. We actually saw their beats per minute, the pulse rates of the parents watching their daughters compete, and understandably so it's like in the one seventies, I believe I can't even imagine what it would be like in those stands watching your daughters compete at this level. But yes, the headlines will be about miss Simone Biles for sure.
Speaker 1: And what we're talking about here, Yes, you know the competition. We follow her. She's expected to win goals. She's the greatest to ever do this. The development is that after one routine she seemed to injure herself and it's been a lot of focus on whatever this injury may be, and she is noticeably limping, and she has heavy tape around. I'm looking at it and they're showing it close up as we speak, around her left ankle A roh. She did the best being that was the first event that she did, but then in a warm up getting ready for the floor exercise is where she appeared to tweak something.
Speaker 2: But I have to say, despite the fact that she clearly does have some sort of an injury to her foot, she has been all smiles. She was joking, crawling from event to event so as to not put weight on her foot. But it's remarkable to see what she can do even with a tweaked ankle.
Speaker 1: And so that's a development because we don't know how serious it is, how big of a deal she appears to be competing just fine. As we are talking, we are looking at her live perform on then even bars and she looks just fine. But when you talk about someone who's expected to compete for the all around, this is her comeback after the twisties and everything happened in the last Olympics. You just wanted to go well for he wanted to go perfect and robes. We're seeing now even the folks in the stands there in Paris, she's got the likes of and she sticks the lamb.
Speaker 2: Wow, I have chills.
Speaker 1: So that thing I was saying about her seeing to tweet something with us. Oh, but she is noticeably limping, but she's having she is running.
Speaker 2: She is running now, she's limping and running at the same time. But you know what's so cool because anyone who's followed the sport knows, I mean, she has moves named after her. The degree of difficulty what she does on all of these events, especially on the vaults, it's dangerous. It's dangerous to the point where most gymnas wouldn't even dare attempt or think about doing the moves that she does. And it's just remarkable to watch her. You know what's fun too to see all the fans in the crowd. I was there in Tokyo when she went through what she went through, and it was a bizarre feeling to see her struggling and then to have no one in the in the fans in the stadium. There was no cheering, there was no support, and you got to think that it feels so good for her to come back and to have her parents there watching her nail it and work through pain and just still be the best of the best of the best. I mean, there's no one like her, So.
Speaker 1: It's a development, just something to keep an eye on you. You don't well, my goodness, God forbid. You don't want anything have an injury or something getting the way of her being her best. They're showing her parents here now, and like I said, they're celebrity Snoop Dogg is there, but you've seen him everywhere anyway.
Speaker 2: Tom Cruise, they're watching. I saw Jessica Chastain in the stands as well, Ariana Grande.
Speaker 1: They're all there obviously to see her. But this is this is cool. But you'll all this is airing live on Peacock and then you'll have all of it in primetime if that's where you choose to watch. But Rob, we've spent the mornings, of course watching but the mornings have given us an opportunity to watch things we don't normally watch. And I know I was up yesterday very early watching fencing, and there was some canoeing going on, and there was some bad midden, and there was table tennis. It's fun to watch those you don't normally get to see and think people doing it in a way that you didn't think was imagined.
Speaker 2: The canoeing was really fun to watch. I really enjoyed that. It was remarkable to see how they were able to create a whitewater rapid venue in the middle of Paris. And then also surfing. We had a lot of fun watching surfing. It's just gorgeous, gorgeous to watch. So while we have seen so many athletes do what they do better than anyone else, there was a really sad moment for a big US men's gymnastics hopeful, Rody Malone. He is now not going to compete for the title of all around Olympic champion and it was just a really tough start to his Paris Games. He was considered to be Team USA's best chance at a medal in the all around competition, but he fell twice on the high bar, which is just so uncharacteristic of him. He also fell on the pommel horse, so he didn't qualify to compete in the final on what is his event, which is the high bar. He's been the US champion for the past four years. He's made a comeback this year after a devastating knee injury. So this is just a tough, tough break for him. But he did say that it's another day. He's back in the gym and he's preparing for team finals, even though he knows he won't have any individual competition.
Speaker 1: He was high bar there, he was fourth in Tokyo on high bar. Yeah, I think it was so this was this was his time. This was one of those folks, and I know many of you have seen it at this point where it is the most painful part of the Olympics. He for the past four years he has been getting ready for this moment and by just not even an inch, he missed a bar and he fell, and it just you could tell me this is the highest level of competition. Is not a bad thing to say that Sometimes the pressure gets to folks, and after that he just spiraled. Yeah, and it was hard to watch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you see how mental this is. I mean, obviously, physically they're capable of doing all of these things, they've been rehearsing it NonStop for the past four years. But yes, mentally, when something goes wrong, it's just Athletes will tell you that that is the difference between winning and losing, and that he.
Speaker 1: Just wanted to hug him every time he was out there. After that, you would just please let him get through it. Please let him get through it, but give him credit. You'll be back out there still trying to help his team in the in the team competition. Another American superstar, however, this time picked up exactly where he left off in Tokyo. We talked about Caleb Drussell, superstar swimmer, considered one of the greatests to ever do it for the Americans. While he and his a US Men's for about one hundred team won the first gold medal of the Olympics for the United States, he won five gold medals back in Tokyo, so you'll remember his name. He ran out and found his found his wife and his kid. I think the kid's five months old, but you probably saw the shot of his wife hanging out with Snoop Dogg and cheering during during the event yesterday again is everywhere. Yeah, so Drussel is right on track. The US men's soccer team maybe is back on track. That bounce back in a major way beat Guinea four to one. Excuse me, this was New Zealand, New Zealand, New Zealand. They have Guinea next, but they beat New Zealand four to one. Remember the Americans got trounced three neil in their first match against France. This win now puts them in maybe a better position to get out of the group stage and maybe go for a metal.
Speaker 2: So they're gonna play Guinea. That happens on Tuesday, correct, so that will be the distinguishing factor as to whether or not we actually make it through. But good for team USA men's soccer. US women's soccer very excited about this team. They look amazing. They play against Germany later today, so we're very excited to cheer them on. They looked, didn't They look incredible?
Speaker 1: They look unbeatable. I lovely. They were hitting it all cells and you love to see that. So they always give us some.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we are very excited about watching that later. Today. There is some sad news though, to report out of Olympic village. A coach was found dead, sixty year old, and I'm gonna hopefully say his name correctly. Forgive me if I don't Linel Fatupeto. He served as the coach of the top seeded samoan heavyweight boxer at the Games. They believe he experienced cardiac arrest, but sixty is way too young to go. And just so sad. He was so excited. They've showed pictures. It's all over the internet, social media, just how excited he was to be there. And I know that everyone is feeling that significant loss today.
Speaker 1: That's tough, the entire community there, and they are a community of athletes, certainly in the village. Meanwhile, the International Olympic Committee, the organizer's there in Paris, are apologizing because during the opening ceremony they called a country by the wrong name. That seems almost impossible. Now, what country's name could they have messed up? Well, the country whose name they got wrong was South Korea. Yeah, how do you mess that up? You call them North Korea, which is precisely what they did. The South Korean delegation was announced as the Democratic People's Republic of Korea, which is of course the official name of North Korea. Seems impossible for a mistake like that to get made on this stage.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it happened. They apologized and hopefully that will be the end of it. But there is some well maybe some other apologizing that the Paris Olympic officials want to apologize for the condition of the River Sen. Not that they could really do that much about it, but all that rain that you saw in opening ceremonies, and I believe it was raining all day yesterday too. I think they said forty eight hours of rain. Well, that has created some problems in the River Sen. So now the water isn't safe enough to swim in for the triathlon and marathon swimming competition. So yes, they've been testing the bacteria levels they are currently unstie So if the water isn't testing at a safe level, the competitions they're scheduled to begin in a couple of days, so they do have an option of delaying the competitions, or they say they could actually change the triathlon to a duathlon, but that seems crazy to do and you know, they're saying today that they it will be good, it will be ready by July thirtieth, But honestly, that's probably just them crossing their fingers and hoping for the best, and there's nothing they can do. For there's nothing they can do, so I will see. By the way, talking about swimming, I just also want to mention we didn't mention Katie Leadecki. She got a bronze, but was bested by those Australians, those pesky Australians. But you know, she is a ten time medalist. This is her fourth Olympics and she could become the most decorated American woman in Olympics history. So we'll keep watching her in the pool because she is just a force.
Speaker 1: She probably will but and if this is one of those things, I don't even know why, but we we don't like Australian swimmers, right because the competition is fierce in between the US, but it seems every time we lose, they're the ones that touch the wall first and vice versa. So it's a great rivalry they have going. But watching the swimming now, and I like, if they're gonna don't lose to Australia.
Speaker 2: I know you were, you were really bothered all but at least they have a safe pool to swim in, so that's good.
Speaker 1: And if that is so nasty, they were talking about all the rain water that did come down ends up pushing an excess amount of sewage if you get to the river. And I didn't know as well that swimming has been banned in the river for like a hundred years or something.
Speaker 2: Well let's have our Olympic athletes go in there now and see what happens.
Speaker 1: Spent the billion dollars to clean this thing up, and they might not be able if if rope, if they get to go do their marathon swimming in the sand, if they get to go do the triathlon in the river. Said, then swimmers, all of you need to keep an eye out for a gold wedding ring. One Italian would really appreciate it, because Jean Marco Tamberry claims he lost his wedding band in the river during the opening ceremony.
Speaker 2: You say claims, I mean.
Speaker 1: It's convenient, is what I'm saying. I'm perfect excuse. You cannot beat that one. But he claims that what happened was it was really really rainy that night, which we all was. Okay, so we can confirm that he was the flag bearer for his country, Italy aboard their boat. We can confirm that, yep, he was on the boat. You know what, else, he's been working out a lot. He is really in thin, thin shape right to compete. So maybe his fingers a little little.
Speaker 2: Thinner than it was, a little looser than it was before you put.
Speaker 1: All these factors together, robes and the ring. Just it's just But Jean Marco actually did a pretty cool, pretty funny social media post apologizing profusely to his wife. Blame those wet conditions and the intense training and being a little thinner. But he made a comment of now this he has a reason to bring back even bigger gold. He's the high jumper right for Italy, and I believe you want a gold medal last time around.
Speaker 2: So he's going to bring back some more gold, just not in the form of a ring.
Speaker 1: That is a crazy story. I mean it is quite possible. I mean it was a mess.
Speaker 2: That kind of cool. If your wedding ring has to end up somewhere other than around your finger, I guess you could say the river send yes during the Olympics. I mean, that's kind of a cool thing. And you know what, he can always buy another one. I'm sure he'll be fine for that. We have had so much fun watching I mean, I've never watched the Olympics like this with you. This is we've had two computer screens up, the TV up. We realize that we can only watch two at a time though, right they limit your access on peacock, so we can only watch two events.
Speaker 1: Well, we can watch three, but you and I usually have a TV going in another room. That's been our easy. So we got three screens. Yes, are our options here in this home.
Speaker 2: And we have I mean I have. I have been through a range of emotions, gotten a lot of chills. But we had a moment yesterday that just was the perfect Olympic moment and it was our favorite moment of the day. Tell us about it.
Speaker 1: From an athlete that most people obviously in this country don't know and not going to be a big superstar coming out of the Olympics, a Carlo Mancini. He is an Italian gymnast. Now, bros. We were talking about Brody Malone. I think the commentator called what we saw yesterday during the men's qualifying, said the high bar. He said, it is shocking what is happening on the high bar. We saw athlete after athlete, top athlete, and we talked about guys who have won championships falling on the high.
Speaker 2: Bar, falling on the high bar, and and it's so sad, it's so devastating in that moment when it happens.
Speaker 1: But this bad fall, this guy has ended up flat on their back. We saw a guy fall forward, almost off the mat completely.
Speaker 2: I hate seeing that too, because you just think about all the hard work and it all comes down to that one moment, all of that pressure, and then bam. You know, once you've fallen, it's over. Your your dream of a metal, your dream of even qualifying to the final, it's it's pretty much over at that point.
Speaker 1: And so Carlo Menngini later in the day, so we've seen so many falls, he's doing his high ball routine and sure enough he takes an awful spill, one of those just not an easy little slip. He just ended up all completely on the mat. He got up and the entire arena you could hear them just try to cheer the guy on. But he has to get up and he has to finish for the sake of his team to get the points. Difficult routine. He gets back up there and starts twirling and spinning and doing his whole thing again. The crowd we're holding it, I said, week but yeah, we're holding our breath hoping he makes it through and the crowd is cheering him on. And made it through.
Speaker 2: He nailed it.
Speaker 1: He nailed the rest of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he nailed the rest of it, which you know what, that's hard to do because we've seen that once you mess up once tickets in your head, you can't. He pushed through, fought hard. It was an extremely difficult routine, and he nailed the landing. And what I mean when you saw his face, despite the fact that he knew he had lost any of his metal hopes or chances to move on, he had a big smile on his face and the crowd just roared, and it was just a moment of just redemption, like forget any accolades he isn't going to get. He did that for himself and the crowd recognized it.
Speaker 1: I assume that did not make it until the primetime coverage of NBC yesterday, So I bet a lot of people didn't get to see it, and I don't know if it's online to watch. But it wasn't just that he got up and he finished and the crowd was cheering. That would have been actually cool enough. Remember what he was doing. He was pumping his chest, He had a big like joy in his face, and it was almost apologetic even in how he was gesturing to the to the crowd. It was the coolest, sweetest is I'm waiting for the moment that's gonna top that in the Olympics. But that summed everything up, the triumph and the tragedy.
Speaker 2: The agony of defeat, and but the joy.
Speaker 1: That still came from all correct God, that was I love that moment.
Speaker 2: I did too, And you loved listening to some of the comments. By now your favorite commentator here knew?
Speaker 1: Who knew that? Some of my favorite on air commentators are in hockey and now in gymnastics, two things grew up near.
Speaker 2: Right, So actually having a commentator is extremely helpful when you're trying to understand what's happening and like the nuances that there's no way our untrained eye could see.
Speaker 1: Yeah, some of the but we know some of them talk too much, some of them don't talk enough, and explain anything and add anything. Some of them are just there's all kinds of ways to describe. But our favorite who knew men's gymnastics. The commentary on Peacock has been from Justin Spring, who was a member of the two thousand and eight Yes Beijing, Beijing bronze medal winning US men's team. He I want to applaud this dude because he has been walking us through things in the simplest and easy It was just a common way of speaking to you. And even at times it was I remember when he I told you, he said, okay, you see that right there. You don't even know what you just saw, folks, But let me tell you what happened. It wasn't condescending. I was like, oh wait, on the age of my seat, what.
Speaker 2: Did I miss?
Speaker 1: He has been brilliant, Justin Spring, just by being simple and elegant in the way he speaks. But I just I love the guy.
Speaker 2: I love that you gave him a shout out too, because you know, we say often and I think anyone who has been in a position of broadcasting or telling the world something that they may not fully understand. It's not easy. It's really hard to do this sort of thing. So when you see someone do it that, well, it's important to point it out.
Speaker 1: I love that simply. He just being a good direct communicator. And I waited. I was going to tell you ahead of time this little nugget, but I was afraid then you wouldn't want me to actually give him a shout out. He's a commentator, but his day job, he is actually a gymnastics coach, assistant coach at the University of Alabama.
Speaker 2: Oh man, I was waiting for, like, why would this person somehow not be someone I would support. I know, No, it's fine, it's fine. I'll forgive him for that.
Speaker 1: It's okay. Go dogs.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness. So we have, as we mentioned, like gymnastics, women's gymnastics, must see today, must see for anyone who's listening out there. But we have some things that we are excited about watching as well. We mentioned the US women's soccer that is something that we are going to be very excited about. And we've got what else, the US men's basketball against Serbia.
Speaker 1: Yeah and no, normally you would hear that and you go, yeah, Servie. They should be able to take care of business against Serbia. Serbia has a three time NBA MVP Okola the Joker.
Speaker 2: Oh Nikola, So we'll be playing against one of their own.
Speaker 1: From a big guy that they know and they know well so so the the Joker is on that team. So that's always look forward to them and US women the rugby. Let's give them a shout out their start their Olympic campaign today. I think we've never won a medal in ugby at the Olympics. I believe I have that right. So that's one of those things we don't normally get to see and root for a USA rugby teams. I mean to get a chance to do so I had.
Speaker 2: This is the first time I've ever watched rugby. I was like fascinated by it. It's like soccer and football combined. And I don't know any of the rules. So it's been again very helpful to have the commentators because I don't know what's going on, and yet I can't stop watching and we.
Speaker 1: Won't stop watching. Thank you so much Paris for having it there in that time zone so I can get up in my regular time at for him and there's live competition.
Speaker 2: And I'm forced to join him because now we watched together.
Speaker 1: Forced you want to go.
Speaker 2: I could have slept for at least another two hours minimum.
Speaker 1: But then you would have missed. Isn't this exciting to get up? It is be able to just immediately go into Yeah.
Speaker 2: Once I had two cups of coffee, I was right there with you.
Speaker 1: Okay Fox again, can you do the closing line because I can't say that title. I just can't.
Speaker 2: Oh oh yes, yes, so okay everyone, Yes, thank you for listening. We're going to be coming to you every single day with all the tea from Perry