Speaker 1: And now move the sticks with Daniel, Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks.
Speaker 2: What's up, everybody? Welcome into the sticks, DJ, Buck with your buck. What is going on? Man?
Speaker 3: Nothing? DJ, just getting ready for it. You know how this thing goes. Like we get to the end of the school year, we're about to go on summer break, try and make everything happen, graduations all that, you know.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I'm actually my son's got internship in as we've discussed before, in Nashville. So I'm in Nashville. I'm in downstairs in this apartment. Like they have these workrooms by the way, apartments from when we were coming up, they've come a long way. It's a lot nicer. They had this little work room, but there's a lot a lot of other people in these little workstations. So I think you're like, like trying to be doing real work. So if you hear the golf voice, Buckets, because I'm trying not to be that guy's trying.
Speaker 3: To How you doing, man, Man, I'm good, I'm good. I know we're going going to start off. I'll dit you do intro before we talk about some of this stuff, this news that's been happening all weekend, a lot of people getting paid.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that's a good point. Let's start right there. It's time for Hot or Not brought you by with Sabi Hot cloud storage and literally just I don't know. Within the hour before recording this next Sirianni gets a new deal with the Philadelphia Eagles, and I was thinking of, you know, it's a great example, but it's not how you start, it's how you finish. If you think about the opening news conference and all the grief that he got from that, and then you go through you know, getting to a super Bowl and not getting the super Bowl, then you have a little bit of a setback, and then to get back into the super Bowl and then when it and now cash in. It's been it's been an interesting example to me of someone who's persevered through some rough moments, but someone who I think has the complete and uh and total faith of his team in his locker room, and it's it's shown by what he was able to accomplish and what they were able to accomplish this last year.
Speaker 3: Little man. I think sometimes DJ the best thing that can happen before head coaches. You get knocked back a little bit and you have to kind of reflect and re emerge as a little bit of a different guy. Nick Herean, he's done a great job when you look at what he's accomplished during his four years. But the Eagles. Look, he's been in two Super Bowls, He's won one. He has a seventy percent winning percentage, which is third highest among coaches we've had fifty games. I mean, we can say a lot about him being quirky, and some of that was impacted by the opening presser, but you can't dispute how good he is, where he call plays or not. He has figured out a way to get his team to the winner circle multiple occasions. He has unlocked some fantastic talents on offense and defense. And as the head coach and someone who I will say like he can be a little emotional, a little volado, but I think he fits the city. Look his work. I mean, forty eight and twenty is nothing to sneeze at. With two Super Bowl appearances in four years.
Speaker 2: What's the difference between Pat playing for someone who who's and I know you played for a lot of edgy guys, So I'm trying to think maybe Homarden wasn't quite as edgy You've told me this before, but I'm just curious. He's someone who is, as you mentioned, emotional, where's it on his sleeve? And I think there's different ways to do it. I mean, Andy Reid is not Andy Reid is like the exact opposite of that. But to me, he's kind of the poster child for someone who's passionate and doesn't hide it. So I'm just curious that someone is anybody you can think of like will be the poor opposites the guys you played for.
Speaker 3: I would say Marve Levy, Hall of Famer, the coach was real, quiet, cerebral, very matter of fact about what he was teaching and coaching. And then John Gruden was a fireball. I mean he was young, energetic like he was, I mean energy NonStop. He always wanted juice, very emotional award on his sleeve. You can see by his facial expressions exactly what he thought. A lot of coaches don't operate like that, you know, and so he's different. But I would say, depending on like, the messaging can be the same, they just deliver it in different ways. And for some guys, the fiery coach works for them. Some other guys the cerebral, very patient, very thought thought out, thoughtful coach works. Both can be successful. I think the big thing, and I think Sirianni found this out. You've got to be true to you. If you're authentic to who you are, your style works because that's who you really are. Good batter and different.
Speaker 2: The thing I would be most excited about if you're an Eagles fan. Number one, you've got this core group locked in, so you've got your core group of guys. You got a good group of young players. You haven't had to pay yet, so you've able to balance kind of the high priced veterans with some young, cheaper players. But do you think about it, boock, you got your coach, so you've got some continuity there. You've got arguably the best personnel department in football in terms of roster building. And then, to me, like the little sleeper, the thing about the Philadelpha Eagles team is similar to the Chiefs, and having Spagnolo, who's a great coach, who hasn't been in probably you know, doesn't look like it's getting opportunities. Big Fangio ain't leaving anywhere to be a head coach anytime soon either, so you're gonna have continuity for this group going forward.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're gonna have connuity. And I'm gonna say DJ, You're gonna have continuity on both sides of the ball. Because even though Nick sire Yanni doesn't call plays, Nick siir Yani was the one that in a way unlocked Jalen Hurts in terms of the things that they did. So he's always able to keep the offense in a certain lane while giving the offense coordinator freedom. In big Fangio, the continuity, this sibility that defense is always going to be good as long as he's gonna be around. It's gonna be a system that everyone can grow in. And because they can grow in, it makes it very easy for the personnel department to stock people in it because the system doesn't change year to year.
Speaker 2: I know it's something that we'll get to as we get closer to the season in terms of the preview things, as we start looking at these teams, looking at these division these conferences and trying to figure out who's going to be good. But at this point in time, just with this Eagles team, when you look at Washington, where they are, you know, I think Washington obviously with the quarterback and a lot of the things they've done and being right there with them last year. You look at Washington, you look at Giants, who are going to be better. I think you know with what they've done the off season, they're going to be better. And then you look at the Cowboys who have a talented team, like are they any threat? Are these teams legit threats or is this a clear Philly is still the clear favorite?
Speaker 3: I think phi Philly is still the clear favorite. However, I mean, the Super Bowl hangover is real, and we've seen how challenging it can be when you go to the mountain top to stay on top of the mountain, like you got to scale it. The schedule is harder. Everyone is now using you, using your team as the measuring stick game, so you're getting everybody's best punch for seventeen games. That's that can be tough to fend off. But they're going to be there, and you understand, like if injuries aren't a factor once they get into the tournament, because they know how to win it, look, they're going to be a very very difficult out. A lot of it really just depandazonic. Can they stay locked in and focus enough to do all the things that they did last year, the necessary steps to be the same team they need to be when to get into the tournament.
Speaker 2: I thought it was interesting if you look at the teams that are outside that division who have to get through the Eagles. I think it's kind of the ultimate compliment when you see teams trying to build their team, not even in your division, but you can see a folk like to me, the Rams and the Niners, they made this concerted effort that we're going to be a physical line of scrimmage team and we're going to stop the run. Like that, to me is interesting how those teams outside the division, knowing who they got to get through, that tells you where Philly is right now in the packing.
Speaker 3: Well, it does, and it it speaks to the bigger point on team building we've always talked about the first thing that you do have to do is you got to be able to build your team to win the division. But you also have to take a look around the landscape and say, well, who are the teams that are going to be the formidable foes for the next four or five years. Do we have enough to deal with them? Well, if you're in the NFC. You're looking at field, you're looking at how young the team is. It's easy to envision them being a team that is always kind of going to be the gatekeeper when it comes to title contention. Well, if I got to deal with them, I know, from an offensive perspective, I better be able to deal with Jaylen Carter. I got to have someone to deal with the young corners that they have on the outside, the waves of pass versus that they also have. I mean, there's a lot to deal with. So I got to make sure that I build my team the right way. Otherwise we can get into the playoffs and we're not gonna have enough gas to deal with them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's going to be interesting to see, you know, how does How does does Philadelphia double down on what they've done or do they try and branch out into other areas to combat how teams are trying to stop them. And it looks like we're going to get the vote here on the Toush push here again coming up soon, so we'll see how that alters at least their fourth down game planning. But it is fascinating to see the team that at the very top. Do you see a way else trying to build and collect pieces to be able to combat that team at the very top. All right. That was this week's Hot or Not segment, brought to you by with Sabi Hot Cloud Storage. Store more and do more with your data. Try them for free at wassabi dot com. Buck big, big, big contract came down, not just on the coaching side, on the player side. By the way, I did those little little ads with Rock Purdy for Toyota that we did draft Nice and I got We talked a bit about a little bit. I mean, he's he is a good dude. Like it's easy to see. And when people are like, is he going to get paid? You know what's that going to look like? And I think I had told you this. I'm like, dude, you can see what. Kyle Chanahan loves this guy like he can literally play the game through him because he can comprehend everything that's coming into his head and he can execute it. So that's why you end up getting five for two sixty five, one hundred and eighty one million in total guarantees, one hundred and sixty five the first three years. So there was no discount here as people were saying, maybe he'll get the middle tier contract. This is not a middle tier.
Speaker 3: Contract mana moutierr cont And the thing that everyone has pay attention to is no trade clause. No trade clause for the entirety of the contract. So brock Peridy is the Niners quarterback. It one of tells me a couple of different things when it comes to the team. And then I'm to ask you a question about scout and what did we learn from the brock Purty deal. For so long we always talk about quarterbacks, and we always talk about the physical tools and the arm talent, the athleticism and those things, and you got to have those. I think brock Purdy is the example of the intangible qualities. When you talk to people around the team and you talk to like you listen to his teammates talk about him. It is how he fits in. Trent Williams Early was all on the brock Purty thing, and you talk about Kittle and Nick Bosa, all those guys have rallied behind him very early. There is a magical quality that he exudes. Maybe it's because he was mister Irrelevant and he came in and quietly just did his work, and he had to let his performance speak before he really could speak, and he earned the respect of his teammates, which makes it easy for the guys to go to work for you. And now I'm gonna say this, eighty five percent of the league's players are system players. And the trick is to make sure that you put players in the right system to match their skills. Rock Purdy is in the perfect system to match his skills. The way that Kyle Shanahan operates the inbreaking routes, the timing, and the execution some of those things coming off play a play action, rock Purdy has a fearlessness when it comes to letting the ball go on time. And because he can do that, and because they've surrounded him with catch and run specialists in those things. Man, this offense is magical when a everyone is healthy and he is able to deal from the pocket, I understand why the Niners might value him more than people on the outside could value rock Purty.
Speaker 2: All right, So I want to take people inside when you're doing a scouting report, and we've talked about the different scales, the different grading scills. Well for position specific grades, we've used the places I've been. We did three through seven, so it was five is average, six above average, seven elite you know four below average, three is poor. So if we're just gonna use that three to seven scale, I want to kind of go through this process with you because I want to let's take like elite arm strength, elite size, elite athletic ability. We're gonna put those things to the side. I'm just gonna give you some key quarterback traits. So I'm gonna let you do the grade three to seven. You're ready, Yeah. Competitiveness, Oh, he's a seven all day. Toughness, Oh, he shows seven qualities. He always takes the ball poise. Look, DJ, I've rarely seen him rout. I would give him a six or seven on that. I'd never see him flustered when he gets fulled. He always just bounce back, goes to the next what intelligence? Oh seven, So I'm like, you start to see like kind of the nucleus of what a of what a good quarterback is, and then we can go on to accuracy, decision making, you know, like.
Speaker 1: And he has a lot of like when you step back at it and you just go, okay, let's strip away the fact this guy's not six five athlete wise, he's above average athlete. I would say, oh, he can move around, he's a five plus, you know, six level athlete. But buck are a lot of the key components of that position where he is a.
Speaker 3: Seven and so here is where scouting is tricky, I would say for us and even for other guys. So Red Lewis and I had an opportunity to watch him the entire week at the East West Fron. I mean, he was fine, he was okay. Him and Ad and O'Connell day were going around. We talked to Purty like I can't say that, like he popped, and like, oh, he's going to be this guy. But I think the lesson is there is development that can be had for everybody, particularly quarterbacks. When Brock Purty was drafted as mister irrelevant last in the draft class, he went to work and in going to work, he got better DJ The guy that we see today is not the guy that we saw at Iowa State. But let's talk about what Iowa State did for him. Rock Purdy or year player. I think when he ended the league he had forty nine starts. When he left Iowa State, he had darned near all the records. When it came to passing and those things, and what we have seen in this league, experienced players experience quarterbacks in particular, they're set up to have success more so than the guys that are two and done, three and done, two year starter than im out. Rock Purty's experience because he played so many games, has so many reps to me. I think it translated very very well for Kyle Shanahan because as you talked about Kyle Shanahan playing the game through him, because he'd been in so many situations and scenarios, I just felt like they connect on a high level when it comes to here's what I want, here's a situation, Here's how you handle the situation. Execute. Rock Prudy's time on task as a collegiate helped him become a very productive player as a pro because he has so much experience coming into the process.
Speaker 2: I was thinking about this, if you take guys that have intelligence, work ethic, and toughness, right like you'd kind of have the mental physical toughness. They're intelligent and they're great workers. We've seen now a lot of examples of guys who've changed things as throwers. I'll go back to when we were doing Aaron Rodgers coming out high Caridge right up, balls up by your ear. Yeah, he lowered the ball, he loosened up, he got a little more loose, a little more fluid. Changed. You look at Josh Allen, and Josh Allen did a lot of that work with Jordan Palmer full work wise, he cleaned up a lot of the issues that he had. He went from someone who was not super.
Speaker 3: Accurate at the collegiate level to someone who's gotten you know, to an elite, elite level of accuracy.
Speaker 2: To be honest, Patrick Mahomes, who was screens and crambles, scrambles, drifting all over the place. But you know, look at how he cleaned up his in the middles rock Perty.
Speaker 4: When I talked to him about his arm strength when we were doing this thing with Toyota, and I'm like, man, like I just when I went and watched you, like, I didn't think you had a big arm, and you know some of my concerns he said, Yeah.
Speaker 2: After the after the season ended, I you know, got with quarterback coach and I realized I was too bulked up. I was I was gotten a little stiff because I had gotten so strong. So he dropped a bunch of weight, changed his body type, loosened up, got more life on the ball by doing that. So what I'm getting at Buck is if you can find the guy who is smart, who is competitive, and who is tough, they're going to take in like, hey, you need to be better in this area. Okay, I can. I can make that adjustment. I can change my body, I can change my mechanics. Like it's so to me. It's almost like, man, the wiring. He's got the wiring. We'll figure the rest of it out.
Speaker 3: DJ. I think I think we've said this. You know, we always talk about floors and ceilings. I think the best thing for a coach is to know exactly who I'm getting every day. What's the floor? Like with Brock Puridy, there's a level of consistency that you knew, Okay, Like, here's where he is at a minimum. If I know that's what he's always going to be every day, this is where the coaching comes in. Hey, every day he shows up, Brock purity is going to be at this level. Cool. My job is to take him at that level. How can we build a team, how can we win with him? But because he's tough, he's smart, he's competitive. I can take that floor, I can take those traits, and I can build a winning plan around that. I think it's one of those things where we're so quick to want the kind of microwave quarterbacks and do it. And I would say, brock Purdy jumped in early second. He jumped in and he was able to do it. But I do think that speaks to the development that's necessary, the patience and the discipline that the San Francisco forty nine ers exhibited while dealing with him. That yeah, it's a long process, and I give them credit because the noise could have gotten loud because they missed on trade lance. But then here comes to the late round pick. Who made him right. They ignored the annoys when everyone's saying like, oh, you need to go get hit this person and you can upgrade this position. And no, he's our quarterback. We feel good about what he offers. He's right for us. And really the conviction that they showed, that's what we all wanted to show when we're scouts.
Speaker 2: I was thinking of this too, like tell me if I'm I didn't want your opinion on this, because if I tell you, you can have an elite person at just quarterbacks, just quarterbacks. So let's go elite makeup, elite person, good player or elite talent good person. I think there's a lot more players at that position in the NFL who are the elite makeup guys with just enough skill, whereas I feel like there's been a lot of really talented guys who didn't have the makeup that have fallen short.
Speaker 3: That takes sense. I think it always. I think betting on the person is what matters. I think betting on the person because we've talked about this, I think Steve Young use the example that we always go back, not over my dead body, if you go get the right person. DJ The one thing that I can live with I can feel if I feel like the person that I trusted, that I gave the ball has done everything in his power to give us a chance to win. If he's done everything and we're just not good enough, I can be okay with it. But what bothers you is when someone you know is talented enough to get it done, but they lift so they leave stuff on the table because they didn't work hard enough to get it done. So I'm always gonna bet on they don't give me the I don't need the most talented guy. I need the guy that has the elite traits and characteristics and then work around it. I think that is something that when we're looking at the position, man, it's more the person than it is the player.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you a least give yourself a chance. I think if you're not if you're not the right person, they're not not the right makeup and all those things. You you better be a freak show talent, like the talent better be otherworldly and honestly, off the top of my head, I can't even I can't even think of like, I guess you maybe you around farv Like I have to go back and I'm saying we're not a bad guy. I'm just saying like it was like I don't know that Brett Farr was grinding tape.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I mean that's it. I mean Michael Vick has acknowledged that he didn't work as hard as he needed to work early in his career and then he just played on talent. But but DJ, it's few and far between the guys that can just roll the balls out in a let's go play.
Speaker 2: Well, you know what, I mean, shoot, I'm about taking shots at the guy. But obviously it was a very public with Kyler Murray and him not putting in time there. But I mean, Kyler Murray's a good enough athlete to be a top ten baseball pick, like.
Speaker 3: That's that's but that's exceptional talent. Yes, I mean exceptional talent to make up for it. But I mean, honestly, these are the best ones. Are the ones that it's an obsession in terms of being good and being prepared and knowing all the other things that you have to know. And when we go through the process and we're interviewing guys and we're asking them questions and we're giving them installs and they're doing this and we're asking them to articulate all of the things because I don't even know if people truly understand how much the quarterback is tasked with. It's not just oh, let me just drop five steps and throw it is. I got to manage the front. I got to make sure all my guys know exactly what they're doing. If I get discoveraged, I got to check and everyone has to be on the same page. Away from the field, I got to represent the organization the right way. I got to be the leader and the spokesperson of the team when it comes to hey, the team feels this, I need you to go talk to the coach. That's a lot of stuff and a lot of people that you got to talk to. And so it's not only the leadership, the communication, the intelligence, it's the work ethic, it's the professionalism, it's all of that stuff. That's why that position is so hard to evaluate. You have to check off so many boxes in so many different areas.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's I think it's just really smart, and I think it's a lot easier to make mistakes on that side of it. I think the football side of it's a little easier. But man, it's you know, you get the person right or wrong, it can have a huge impact on what that guy is going to be. But hey, hats off congrats to Brock Purty. The guy was literally the last pick in the NFL draft and just made himself into a two hundred and sixty five million dollar quarterback. So that's that's commendable to what he's done. We've never seen anything even close to that. Undrafted free agents is different situation. This is the draft within that draft parameters, I will go out and say that there will never be another mister irrelevant who will sign a two hundred and sixty five million dollar contract. I would say the odds are heavily in the favor of that statement.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, never never seen. That's unbelievable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, pretty nuts. Right, take quick break, we come back book. I know you've got some gas on what's going on in Minnesota. I want to get to that right after this. All right, Buck floor is yours. JJ McCarthy talk to me.
Speaker 3: Hey, look, DJ like there's a lot of conversation about JJ McCarthy. Take it over to him. With the Minnesota Vikings, I am an unabashed Minnesota Vikings fan when it comes to how they put together their squad. I love the brain trust that they have up there. Koc who's a friend of the program. Kevin McConnell does a great job not only managing the entire operation, but he is a quarterback whisper who does a fantastic job of designing plays to create opportunities for their playmakers while making the game very friendly. Brian Floyd is in their defense, And then I think about the person that upgrades that they've added this year, defense is much better than it's been in the past. So the only question that you have is can JJ McCarthy get him up and going. And after watching Sam Donald, Sam Donald had thirteen games with a passer rating over one hundred. Sam played at a remarkable level. And when you go back and look at the quarterbacks that have played in Minnesota, first Kirk Cousins, then you finished with Sam Donold, they have all said have all enjoyed a high level of success under Kevin O'Connell. I believe that continues, but I believe it continues in a different way with JJ McCarthy. To me, JJ McCarthy is more like an Alex Smith type quarterback, meaning he's talented enough, he's athletic enough to do a bunch of different things, but he also understands how to play winning ball based on what he did at Michigan. I think Kevin O'Connell early is not going to give him all of that and expect him to go win the game. I think he's going to set the other guys to do it. So if we talk about in our vernacular, he's going to be a high end trailer. If he operates like a high end trailer for the Minnesota Vikings where he lets the rest of the team carry him. The Minnesota Vikings can win a ton of games, and then as he gets comfortable, maybe he shows some of the playmaking ability at the end of his second year. I'm just bullished at the combination of j. J. McCarthy's talent and Kevin O'Connell's play designs and overall management skills are going to allow JJ McCarthy to be successful in his first year is bro.
Speaker 2: I want to get to that. And my reaction to that, But quick, did you see JJ at the sideline sitting courtside with.
Speaker 3: Justin Jefferson Jefferson?
Speaker 2: Did you see that jeff Steph Curry came up and loved up Justin Jefferson, and I think he just thought that was his buddy, that was the starting quarterback for the Minnesota But I didn't even look at him. It's like like JJ was kind of looking up at him. It's like like there's a couple of people that came over there too and tapped him up, and then like it was kind of like the lock eyes with with Jefferson handshake conversation and like the like then JJ McCarthy sticks his hand out and they're kind of like.
Speaker 3: That, Yeah, I mean he looks, he looks, he looks so young and such in every man when it comes to it. But DJ, I think that might work in his favor. I just feel like from an ego standpoint one, being a four or five star guy going to Michigan knowing that you're not going to throw it all over the yard, knowing that the only thing that matters for Jim Harbor you obviously have seen Harvor operate, the only thing that matters as a school board, I want to win. I'm not about setting records and stats and all that. I think that serves in Will going into Minnesota, where the only thing that matters is to duve, I think he can put his ego in check to make sure that I'm just going to do the things that are conducing to win.
Speaker 2: I'm curious to see. If you look at Minnesota and who they have to get through, it's the Detroit Lions. To me, I think Minnesota roster wise in really good shape. And I would say if Jared Goff, let's say Jared Goff, like one hundred percent of Jared Golf, what percentage of Jared Goff. Does JJ McCarthy have to get to for them to be able to beat Detroit. I don't think it's I don't think he has to be I think they could get the Troit without him being level, which.
Speaker 3: I think he can play. I think he can play at a B plus level provided that he doesn't turn it over.
Speaker 2: So eighty five percent, like eighty eight percent of Jared go get it done for them.
Speaker 3: I think I think he can do that. But look, they're so good on the perimeter with the Addison Jefferson, Hopkinson, Aaron Jones, upgraded offensive line. I mean he doesn't have to. I'm not saying he doesn't have to do much, but hey man, let's keep it simple. Get the ball to the playmakers and let them go to work. If he does that, they could operate because we know their defense is going to get a bunch of splash plays. Sachs internal was just the way that they play. They're going to create easy scoring opportunities for them. It doesn't matter him just cashing it in when he gets no chances.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think back to when I was in Baltimore young and we were in the office. We would always do an off season project where we would rank all the rosters, but then we would rank the groups. So you would go by every team in the league and say this was, you know, an A level offensive line, say A through F, and you kind of went through and you start stacking it up, and then you started really kind of seeing like, okay, man, if we've got three A level B lines in our division and we've got a C level offensive line, like that ain't good?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 2: Like you, you know what I mean? Like you kind of like what you needed to compete. And I think if you're Minnesota, that's who you're chasing is Detroit. So it's like kind of how do we stack up? And we stack up really well in a lot of other areas. The great unknown is just the quarterback. So I don't think he has to be an elite player. I think he has to be a really good player. So I think we've stumbled on something we needed. Eighty seven eighty eight percent Jared Goff is what we need out of.
Speaker 3: J check and that's one and good enough. Man, that's more enough to be able to get it get it done. I think a lot of it will be how do they get him ready to play the opener. How much time do you give him in preseason because he has seen a lot of live action. You know, he got hurt in the preseason last year. How do they go about that process of getting ready. I'm sure they'll have some joint practices. They'll try and get some of that done because of his control of the environment, but he needs to see that game speed so he can quick in his clock and get used to playing at an NFL.
Speaker 2: Level, no doubt. One last thing I want to get to before we get out of here, because I don't know if you watched any of golf, but Scott a Scheffer, just chef that just won the PGA Tour, and I kind of read about him, and I followed golf loosely, but I'm fascinated by him. I've seen some of the stuff he's been and I've seen interviews. I started reading about him a little bit and I was like, Okay, the common theme that everybody has about this guy is low heartbeat, like big moments, low heartbeat. So I started thinking, like, to me, with Joe Montana is like the ultimate ultimate low heartbeat. Even Tom Brady maybe the greatest of all time. I don't I wouldn't necessarily always classify. I think the emotional impassionate, like just everything in check. Like emotionally, I'm trying to think it was anybody else I'm missing, you know, obviously Joe Montana was a long time ago. Who's a recent version of someone just as calm in those big moments as you could think.
Speaker 3: Of, did you. I feel like Pat Mahomes is calm in those moments, even though he's game has.
Speaker 2: Some there's a frenetic pace. But I think you're right that moms never.
Speaker 3: And I feel like in the playoffs he plays differently than he plays in the regular season. Like we have seen the script, Pat Mahomes is gonna run in the playoffs when it's third and seven and you go to man and you leave it open. He's gonna scramble when they need him to orchestrate a drive at the end of the game. He does it time and time again. To me, he has that. I think Joe Burrow also has that, Like they don't they're not. And I'm gonna say this, I don't know if I want my quarterback overly emotional, because it's such a cerebral position that you not that you're like no emotion at all. But you talk about that low heartbeat. In those competitive moments, you have to be able to think and process and make good decisions. And to me, it's really hard to make great decisions if you're overly emotional about the outcome that as the result of whatever you choose to do.
Speaker 2: That's interesting. I think you're right. I think Mahomes is the right answer there. And it is like there can be some crazy in the middle early portion of the game. But I mean, I've seen it up close so many times when it is money down, when it is fourth down, third downs, key downs laden games, he's able to just see it slowed, the game slows down. I'm gonna take this for my little eight yard run here to convert this, I'm gonna take my little I can put a bunch of air under this because I got a guy in a trail position like he makes the right decision, the right throw, the right run and our darner every single time.
Speaker 3: And the reason why I'll say I'll see him. But I also say Joe Burrow because I think it also extends beyond the game. It is in the midst of a bad season, it's in the midst of a two or three game losing streak. How does that guy come out the next game because all of a sudden he had abandoned the things that they've done and go on his own and go rogue and try to make all the plays by himself. Or does he put it on himself that, hey, look, we got to execute better. That means I have to be better. And me being better isn't me making more hero throws, but it's hey, maybe I need to sit back and go back to doing the basics. Let me take the check down, let me take the little thing, let me get back to connecting the dots and then the big plays that happened to me. When we talk about low heartbeat, it's also a confidence, a composure, a poise that is needed to be able to bring the team back. And to that point, I kind of want to include Matthew Stafford in there only because, man, we've seen the rams the last two years DJ. They have not started out well, but they kind of figured out. He gets them together or whatever. And then when we saw him in the super Bowl, biggest moment, he handled DJ. He threw a no look. He threw a no look past I mean a no look dime in a critical moment to help this team win the Super Bowl. He certainly exhibits some of that.
Speaker 2: They were talking about Scheffler in that tournament and they said, I think there were I don't know what the holes were, fourteen fifty something like that, but they were the gettable holes, like they're the holes you can score on. And it's like everybody else in the tournament, like it was a birdie here or there, but just kind of like just what they said, he was like birdies and eagles, like he he cashed those in. And I was thinking about it from a football standpoint of and maybe you have a recollection to this on you know, having played versus having you know, spent your time upstairs, but you haven't a game plan. There's two shots, like we get these, we get this. Look, we have this play call. In a game of sixty plays, we have two times they're gonna give us what we want and we're going to call this play. We have got to capitalize when we get those moments. And I thought that was how he won the golf tournament the way they were describing it, right, Like I don't know a lot about golf, but it's like, hey, those are the getable holes. He got them every single round. And I was thinking about games like, I'm sure you've been on teams like, man, we schemed this up all week. We got to look in freck We just we didn't get it. We didn't cash it in.
Speaker 3: Did just one of the biggest frustrations that I think coaches have because you don't get to look twice. Always felt like this, and this is like Tom Brady, the one thing that we always could talk about Tom Brady. Tom Brady always cast a lottery ticket like you, if you mess it up and you give him the lottery ticket, where's powerball? And he can go get it? Ding ding ding. He's always going to get it. And the great quarterbacks they make you pay for your mistakes. And whether that's the low heartbeat, the composure, or just the moment, the great ones make you pay every time you mess up. And that's what separates the good from the elites.
Speaker 2: I just was thinking about thinking about the way they describe that. The first name that pop into my head was Super Bowl Jimmy Garoppolo. Was it Emmanuel Sanders?
Speaker 3: Is that who it was? Yes?
Speaker 2: Like that has to keep Kyle Shanahan up at night, like you can dream, you dream for that look and.
Speaker 3: Look we all have like friends in that building. And that was some of the frustration that Kyle Shanahan had, you know, like as a guy who is like an obsessed and obsessive play designer, he would go crazy like these guys would be wide open and all you got to do is cash, I mean cashing in. Like think about the amount of times dead Lane Kiffin has drawn up winners where like they showed a look and before the ball is even like the arms are up. That's what those guys know. And so they want someone who can cash the ticket. And it is maybe we don't talk about enough when it comes to quarterback play, but that that's really what it is is can you can you make the layup? Can you make the lip? When the lab is there? Wide open lane? Put the ball off the square?
Speaker 2: Yep. By the way, as we're wrapping this thing up, I don't know if you've had this before, but I'm going to go get this place for lunch ahead At the other day, they now I guess they have these like you know, it started with Subway. It was like kind of you build your own sandwich because people don't. People aren't old like us, don't know. You just have to go to a store and get a sandwich. Like you say, what goes on a sandwich? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, no, no, you didn't get the subway.
Speaker 2: That led to like Chipotle. Okay, we're going to do the same thing, but with Mexican. Yeah. Then it was like all the pizza place places like Blaze people whatever we can. Now you can do your build your java. We got medice.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh DUDEU there's a Pokey place here. You get a Pokey bowl and you can customize what all goes on. Look at you, I mean, I'm just I'm like, why didn't I think of this? This is this is going to change the world. It's gonna change the world. What's next? Is there any other kind of food? Like obviously like you can get Asian food like they've been doing that for.
Speaker 3: You.
Speaker 2: But I don't know what you can build your own anymore. I think we've done it all. I think Pokey is.
Speaker 3: The last one.
Speaker 2: I think that's it. That's it. Well, that's wrong with one. I'm hungry. I'm gonna go eat. I appreciate you guys, hang with us. We'll see you next. Time right here on moving sticks,