Speaker 1: From UFOs to psychic powers and government conspiracies. History is riddled with unexplained events. You can turn back now or learn this stuff they don't want you to know. A production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hello, welcome back to the show. My name is Matt, my name is Dolan.
Speaker 3: They called me Ben. We're joined as always with our super producer Dylan the Tennessee pal Fagan. Most importantly, you are here. That makes this the stuff they don't want you to know. Dylan Young Tennessee. It's listener mail. You know what time it is. Where's our sound for today, Ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 2: Time to dig up the rude begas.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, the joke that only gets better as we refuse to explain it.
Speaker 4: Age is like a fine something that ages, and I think is the thing people typically say.
Speaker 3: Sure, wine, cheese, a good fart, oh no, which is a little bit of foreshadowy they call it in the business. Folks. If you are listening to our weekly listener mail segment, the evening to publish is let us welcome you to Thursday, March twentieth, twenty twenty five. We're going to have some follow ups on our Manchester Pusher episode from previously did not expect the sheer amount of really well thought out correspondence we received for that one. Apparently we're known in Greater Manchester. Guys.
Speaker 4: Okay, cool, I love Manchester.
Speaker 3: Just just a heads up, you know, when we find ourselves out that way, we're going to learn a little bit about trillionaires and fossile fuels. We might have some fart jokes, we might have some serious conversations about diplomatic immunity. But before we do any of that, have you ever looked at one of your non human animal buddies and thought, I wonder what you're thinking about. I wonder how you metacognate?
Speaker 4: What are they building in there their animal minds? Is the question? Yeah, no, I certainly do Ben, as do we all.
Speaker 3: Yes, And we have to we have to admit we're pleased as punch about the first wonder we have to share with you, which we'll do right after a break for a word from our sponsors.
Speaker 4: And we've returned with a fabulous and a very rich, dense letter from a listener referring to themselves as dognition. Wouldn't be mad, they say, if we came up with something more clever than that I don't know if that's possible. That's very good given the content of the letter. But first we're going to start with a little bit of a personal story that Dognition sends us as relates to current events. I'm going to keep the name of this company out of it for fear of any kind of retribution. Let's just put it this way. My last company dealt with electrical parts, supplying electrical parts to various manufacturers. One of our offices had a contract with the Tesla gigafactory. We supplied an on site trailer full of parts and when they needed certain supplies, they'd go grab them from the trailer. We had a salesperson check in with them and order supplies as needed. Sometime into our business relationship, accounts receivable flagged Tesla for not paying for the parts they were taking. Tesla claim they didn't have records for who they'd paid. They just told us that all we needed to do was supply the invoice they'd sent us, then they would pay us. We couldn't find it, of course, it was most likely they never sent it, and we weren't the only supplier with concerns. And then Dognition links out to an article talking about some other sticky situations involving Tesla. The amount they owed to US was around a million dollars. So there you go, just a little bit of an insider of perspective on a big company and a big personality that's in the news right now.
Speaker 3: I hear the president of the US is selling Tesla cars.
Speaker 4: I heard that as well. Some of the actions that the President has taken have led to some pretty serious losses in the stock market, including losses sustained by his dear pal Elon Musk's company Tesla in question here, and it lost quite a bit of its value. And it would appear the President is trying to I don't know, remedy that I guess, even though it would seem that it's a problem that he himself caused. And I know, the ecosystem that is the US financial market is very complex and there's a lot going on, and maybe it's not as simple as that, but we did talk about this idea of market manipulation. But it would also seem that maybe some of these things were not intended, and it seems like he's trying to give a little leg up to his buddy Elon by turning the lawn of the White House into a car lot. It's a little weird. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Did you guys hear about the suspicious Tesla sales thing that happened in Canada recently?
Speaker 4: No, I didn't.
Speaker 2: There's this, you know, the EV programs, like government sponsored EV programs, where there's an incentive.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly, incentives to the buyer as well.
Speaker 2: Correct, exactly, and well across the board, yep. But the reason why more cars move in general is because the buyer gets a tax break or something like that, a reduction in price over the electric vehicle.
Speaker 4: It's like putting solar panels on your house. You know, there are certain subsidies that you qualify for and you get a portion of that paid for by the government.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, So there was one happening in Canada and they had already it facilitated around five hundred thousand electric vehicles being sold right and right as that window ends. Because these aren't like, it's not a it's not a thing that just happens in perpetuity. It is a program that basically goes for a certain amount of time then it ends. Well, that's what happened in Canada, and all of a sudden. Right at the end, eight six hundred Teslas were sold, and in one day in one location where Teslas are sold on two hundred of the vehicles were sold, which is a little bit. Those are.
Speaker 3: Great numbers. Those are objectively great number. Also, to answer your earlier question, dognition, if I could just off the top freestyle a couple of terrible alternatives to the nickname you suggest because you opened the door, you invited us in the void, writes back. In addition to dognition, help me out here, guys, what would be a good poodle sception? Yeah, a cor giation.
Speaker 4: Chill wow, wow factor, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Hypotha shazoo. It's pretty good, you know, like, let's just mess with us, all right. Those are four suggestions, unless Matt, you got one.
Speaker 2: No, I just can't think on my feet like that.
Speaker 4: Oh what are you talking about? You just keep one in your back pocket for later, but really quickly talking about Tesla situations while we're at it. I don't know if you guys also saw about the fire in Seattle that torched for Tesla cyber trucks, apparently speaking of the idea of designating some of these actions as domestic terrorism, it's just such a bizarre situation we find ourselves in where the line between private corporations and private industry is just more blurred than ever when it comes to the way the government is dealing with it and with this private citizen that's being given so much power. Though it does seem that maybe some of those powers are being rolled back a little bit after much protest from the actual elected officials that are running some of these agencies that Musks doze operation have kind of we're given carp blanche to sort of dismantle, So we'll see, we'll see what happens with that. But that is really not the main reason why. As you can tell by the nickname, the dog Nish wrote into us, and they say, enough about that. Here's a bunch of stuff about animals. This is mostly a bunch of my experiences, but there's some science stuff in there too, Thank you for that. And then this is a really in depth amount with quite a few examples of animal cognition and some I's going to read a few of my favorites, so I'm gonna start here. I've mentioned before having some experience, and this is a listener's written into us multiple times, having some experience in the animal welfare world and dabbling and becoming an animal behavior consultant. A good friend of mine was my mentor for this journey, and she co authored this book and links to the book called Canine Enrichment for the Real World, Making It a Part of Your Dog's Life by Ali Bender CDBC and Emily Strong CDBC. Something I want to point out about this book is how well researched it is. This friend is fact oriented and science minded, which we love here on stuff they don't want you to know. We held some workshops for budding behavior consultants at some local shelters, and I had the great fortune of accompanying her for some behavioral consultations in pre pandemic times. My focus was around understanding the sort of skeletal framework of behavior coupled with the ethogram for whatever species I might try to work with. While I remain no more than a hobbyist, what I have learned to see has provided small glimpses into the rich inner world of our pet animals. My own dog, Lucky and I share an understanding that most pet owners don't reach. I give him agency to make choices that pet parents often don't consider, and he sort of learns how to bridge some of those outcomes to other forms of communication. I learned to listen to what that is by paying close attention to the behaviors he expresses. The most recent way this has played out is in his cooperative care routines. Luck He's an older dog, so I don't want to risk anesthesia to get his dental work done if I can help it. Instead, I taught him to lay on his side while I slowly and gently scraped tartar build up from his teeth with very sharp instruments in exchange for some treats. I've accidentally poked his gums only a couple of times, and he will flinch, but will take care to keep holding still. If he wants a break, he taps my hand with his paw. When he's ready to start again, he lays back down on his side and presents his face. He is op in for this. When I ask, do you want to work on your teeth? He jumps up excitedly and runs for the room where we do most of his grooming. So he is opting in to holding very still while I shine a bright light around his face manipulate his lips and gums and accidentally poke sensitive parts of his mouth on the occasion. He chooses this without having made him do anything he doesn't want to do at any step along the way. Pretty fantastic. I hear Matt in the background coaxing his dog Meadow with a little bit of animal cognition himself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's just reacting to something going on down there.
Speaker 4: One more quick story and then we'll move on. And I want to hear about y'all's experiences with the stuff with your own pets. My neighbor's husky, Jasper, wouldn't go inside when he was called. It didn't matter what they offered him. They kept trying to give him treats so they could grab him, so he stopped responding to food. It was bad enough that one day they asked me to go help them get him inside because he wasn't listening and they needed to go out. Their long term solution was to attach a long line to him when they needed to let him outside. When those neighbors went on a trip for a week, I watched their dogs for them during that time, I said challenge, accept it. I let Jasper out without his long line, then held treats behind my back at a height he could reach. That way, he could take them without fear of me trying to grab his collar. We practiced that until he was comfortable walking around somewhat near me. Next, I taught him a queue for play that meant we were going to chase each other back and forth across the yard. After playing tag for a little while, I went inside, left his water bowl just inside the door and walked away so he could get water and go back out if he wanted. To get him to come back inside, I just asked if he wanted to go on a walk, and wrapped up our sessions with a walk through the neighborhood. After doing this for three or four days, on the fifth day, I accidentally discovered that his favorite game isn't chase, it's tug. He very gently grabbed a stick I was holding for my hand. When he got it from me, he ran away as normal, but this time he's self handicapped, so I could catch up and pull on the stick. I just think this is so cool. I don't know guys like this is beyond to me just basic training you know of an animal. This is you know, this behavioral aspect of it and the idea of what is going on with their cognition and trying to explore that and trying to use that to consensually, you know, do stuff together with your for baby or whatever. I think it's really really neat, and it doesn't really strike me as the same as like, you know, using behavioral modification exactly to like make a dog do a trick or something. I don't know. It may well just be the perspective that it's being represented here from dognition, and there's a certain empathy and kindness and and very you know, I don't know, animal focused attitude here. But I don't know what you guys think about this kind of stuff, Like is this different than just your standard run of the mill, you know, obedience courses or is there something more at play here?
Speaker 3: I would argue yes. In check out check out the show Ridiculous History. I wrote a two part episode we did on how dogs became domesticated in the first place, and domestication is a superpower. There is something fascinating here with the question of, you know, the dilemma of anthropomorphizing or projecting upon a non human animal your own interpretations of patterns. But dogs are a little different. These types of canines are a little more rom com with those scrappy upstarts of the primate world. The humans dogs do experience. A lot of animals actually experienced tremendous emotional depth, and dogs have not just cognitively but corgatively, not just evolved there to interact with humans, but also they have physically evolved, right, just like the number of muscles around the eyes and the sockets of the eyes are are entirely meant to interact with humans, and a dog can of course perceive things that a human cannot. That's why they make such a great team together. I will always be fascinated by the studies that show your dog may not just be reacting to your behavior, your intonation, or your smell. They may be reacting to past information about you and predicting your behavior based on that, just like you would do right with your dog. Also, they're one of the few non human animals that understands pointing, which is massive. That's crazy. Other primates don't really get it. Yeah for sure.
Speaker 4: And Matt, you know, as I mentioned, you were kind of doing some stuff with meta your pop. Does any of this resonate with you or any experience that you've had in communicating with her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a lot of cognitive behavioral therapy in there. And you guys know I've talked before my ex wife was a cognitive behavioral therapist. I think that's what CBT stands for. And I think CBS might the s might be specialist because that's another title you can have. And often this stuff is applied to working with humans, and when you apply it to dogs, it works. It sure does work. Just trying to but it is it is behavioral modification, but it isn't forced, right, it's just you. You teach, you literally teach you guide, yeah, exactly, and you teach well, when I do this, it means that. And now now when you do that, you get this and if you want that, you show me that action. Right. It's really cool stuff. It's pretty amazing. I haven't been as successful in any way as dignition has here in some of those things. But again, a dog is like five six years old, like Meadow, that's my dog. She will learn things very quickly if you just show things with kindness, consistency and kindness and just that thing that's just well, here is what is happening. And what will happen every time?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so volunteering at different shelters here in our fair metropolis of Atlanta, you can you can see exactly what you're describing their matt which is first off, I hope this is not a hot take or a polemical opinion, but I don't think there are any bad dogs. I've met dogs that people said were bad and it was just really it was their interaction with the people that informed their behavior to that point. So hopefully no bad dogs. I love what you're what was it, hypothesis, hypothesis, I'll forget it. I'll forget it after this, But great, great questions dognition, especially because we are all extremely pro animal even counting the naked mul rat. You know, it's not their fault.
Speaker 4: It's nuts, it's not doing their best.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 4: Huge thanks for writing into us about the Little Tesla Insider tidbit and some of these examples of using this kind of cognition based training on dog. By the way, the two authors of that book that was referenced are credited as being cbdc's which stands for a Certified Dog Behavior Consultant, So that's an official certification that you have to get so thanks again, and we're going to take a quick break here a word from our sponsor, and then come back with more messages from you.
Speaker 2: And we've returned, guys, surprise, we're jumping to the bow lines. First, We've got a very important message from Sergeant Riggs.
Speaker 5: Hey, guys, please call me. Sergeant Riggs, just wanting to let you know I'm really excited for the upcoming episode. You guys teased about diplomatic community. I have a little bit experience with that. Back in the eighties.
Speaker 6: I was a LAPD detective and I was chasing after these South African drug dealers who happen to have diplomatic Well, after a shootout with my partner and the bad guys, eventually got to shoot the main bad guy in the head as I told him, as diplomatic community just expired.
Speaker 5: That'd be great if you guys comment on that.
Speaker 6: Very famous incident. But all right, rigs out.
Speaker 4: Which Lethal Weapon movie is that from?
Speaker 2: That's the first one, baby, go google. Uh, we just thought that was terribly fun, Sergeant Riggs. There, which is a one of the characters, one of the partners in lethal Weapons. Yeah, Martyridy Higgs just describing you know, the plot. Basically, we do have to note, Sergeant Riggs, if you are actually Sergeant Riggs, you did not fire that shot and that line that was your partner Roger Murtau.
Speaker 3: Credit where it's due, Sergeant. Uh, don't take this investigation money, you know what I mean? Matt, you and I we're talking a little bit off air. This is one of the ones that got me towards the end.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly. I wait a second, and this sounds familiar, and we don't want to spoil anything, but I mean to kind of just spoil part of that movie Lethal Weapon, a Mel Gibson movie worth your time.
Speaker 1: Indeed.
Speaker 4: And by the way, when Danny Glover said that famous line about being too old for this ish, he was forty years old and playing a fifty year old. Oh wow, unrelatable.
Speaker 3: Like it's like how there For many decades in television, the serious high school drama shows all had students who were about thirty.
Speaker 2: Yep, wow, that's about right.
Speaker 3: That's about yeah. But that was a nice one. Yeah, thank you so much. It rakes.
Speaker 2: Well, let's get to just quickly. We're gonna we should do a whole episode of Diplomatic community, and we've touched on it many a time on the show.
Speaker 3: What we have an episode on the way for sure.
Speaker 2: We really are, but just to put it out there so you're ready when that comes. That is a weird little situation where a diplomat from Country A can go to Country B, and while they are inside Country B doing their business whatever it is, they have complete immunity from the laws from the jurisdiction of country Oh, I'm confused country by Well, why did I say this? You gotta go, you gotta do it.
Speaker 3: So you're in country B, right, you nailed it. Country b's laws are are applied to you in a different way based on your diplomatic status from as a representative of Country A.
Speaker 2: Yes, and real legal immunity for things like you can the lawsuit isn't going to happen. You aren't going to get prosecuted while you're in that country depending right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's why we're doing an episode on this because, I uh, the the examples can be as innocuous as well. This guy just doesn't pay parking tickets in Manhattan. Yeah, all the way up to hey, you know what is murder? Really?
Speaker 4: Yes, but that doesn't that also extend to like their political pouch and list of the materials they might be carrying. They're not at they are not subject to search and seizure either for that kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: And just the concept of this goes way, way, way, way way back that you've got some representatives from another place coming to speak with the top top men and women in your place, and they have different cultures, different more's different everything. So while they're in your country, you just kind of have to let them do what they do and interact with you, and then they can head back theoretically in the nice way, right, And we're going to talk about how that could be abused so.
Speaker 3: Quickly, abused, weaponized, leveraged. I remember speaking with I remember speaking with representativetives of the North Korean government who made a rare trip to the United States and they were on a tour you could call it, pushing for their perspective on the nuclear narrative across the planet. And one of the most disappointing things bracketing everything else out, one of the most disappointing things was how bellicos just bad vibe their American minders were, you know, like interrupting questions rephrasing things, making sure that they got their propaganda out as well. It's just, oh, diplomatic immunity. What a bag of badgers. I can't wait, can't wait to dive in. And if you have diplomatic immunity right to us, you know what I mean, give us the tips.
Speaker 4: A diplomatic pouch of badgers, if you will.
Speaker 2: That would be great to incorporate into our pouch that we will present to you all of its contents.
Speaker 4: No secrets here, well, there are a lot of secrets depending.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Used, Well there we are. Thank you so much there, Sergeant Riggs for sending that message to us. Let's go to Big Randy. I have talked about this one so many times, we never actually played it. This is just a thought experiment for us because I have used search terms, every combination I can think of to find like a real answer to that which is posed here within Big Randy's message, and I cannot find it. So let's just have a little discussion after we hear from Big Randy.
Speaker 7: Hey, guys, this is Big Randy. I was just listening to the episode that y'all are talking about some of the people that are millionaires, billionaires and I believe that read an article with said something about some agency had found out that there's probably going to be, according to their projections, five trillionaires in the next year. And I have to tell you that we've got trillionaires for quite a while. I just retired from a company that we provided have visibility, security and transportation.
Speaker 5: Or people like that.
Speaker 7: And whenever you hear the richest man in the world or the richest person in the world, that's the richest person in the world that reports their income to Forbes Forbes magazine. We've had trillionaires and Dubai and other places in Saudi Arabia all the way back to I wanted to say the late eighties as the latest mid nineties. That's how far back my career goes. And I know for a fact that I met a trillionaire and the early mid nineties, and that was one of the sheik Muhammads from the oil industries from Dubai. So don't fool yourselves in thinking that Elon Musk or you know, the Amazon founder or whoever fill in the blank, has more juice or more power than anybody else on the planet. That's not the case. That's only in the public eye and the public eye. That might be what's important to us because we're just normal people. But in the world I the people that run the world, they all look to Saudi Arabia. There might be other places where they have trillionaires. It's been often debated and talked about that Putin is one of the richest men in the world, if not the richest man in the world, but there's no accountability or accounting, no public accounting of his wealth. The same could be said for the leader of North Korea, and uh maybe even other countries they might have, but as far as I know, the only trillionaires that I know of, and at least one, at least one that I've met, is from Saudi Arabia. Anyway, you're more than welcome to use my voice if you want to, and if not, that's all right. That's your show. You can do what the hell you want. Have a great day, love the show.
Speaker 2: Too, big. Randy's the best.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you had mentioned this encounter, Matt in a previous conversation, but hearing it, you know, directly from them, it gives it a whole other feel.
Speaker 2: I just want to get y'all's opinion on that. The concept that because I understand wealth, right, especially oil wealth that's been around for generations, but I don't understand the concept of potentially a trillion, like a trillion dollars or more worth of that wealth being somewhere and hidden from public eye.
Speaker 3: One hundred percent happens. Yeah, we talked about this previously on an episode or one of these conversations. Like the difficulty which you point out so beautifully, big Randy, is the conversation between how wealth is measured and how wealth is portrayed, right, or how it is shown to the average public. Like you could argue, I've said this before, you could argue Mansa Musa was a trillionaire right in function, the guy who was so wealthy that he broke economies of northern Africa just by traveling back in the day. I think our tricky thing here is how is our metric for measuring what value means? Because once you get to the billionaire class, that there's great liquidity in that value, right, it changes day to day based on the stock market or so on, and with and putin is a great example of how it can become impossible to know the true, the true quote unquote wealth of a single human individual, especially because at that threshold, it's not just them. There are multiple proxies, their entire small armies of accountants. Right.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, yeah, because you've got that wealth for anybody above a certain level is stuck in accounts, stuck in you know, things that are tied to stocks, the units that are tied to how well a currency is doing, right, that kind of thing, or how.
Speaker 4: Well natural resource is doing.
Speaker 2: Yes, futures, commodities, futures, all that stuff. But I guess. But the thing I always forget our discussions about how wealthy individuals and corporations will put money in places like Panama, right or in Swiss accounts back in the day. Maybe less now because people be known about that stuff now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it used to be the wealthy version of putting money in a postagejar and burying it in your backyard.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, so that kind of wealth is there too, but that wouldn't be reported in any way. So there is the potential for even people in Forbes lists to be well above where they are right now. It's just this concept, especially in the Middle East. Think about Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirate, at some of these places where that generational wealth is built, but often it's tied to a family business or something right or to and that stuff is like traded or it is reported by law, and there's just no body there that has a trillion dollars or no company even that has a trillion dollars.
Speaker 3: Well, let's put it this way. How about this, and folks walk with us here, tell us what you think, and Matt and oil, tell me what you think as well. What if it works like this, Big Brandy can't wait to hear from you. What if you are as he said, Matt, you are generational wealth. And in this case it is defined as a percentage off the top of a proven natural resource. Right, and then your percentage becomes a function or magnified by the current estimates of how much fossil fuel or how much insert resource here is present right the proven reserves. And then you have to play a little bit of arcane math and do some gaming with the price to Knowle's point about those reserves right over time. So if you have somehow a small percentage or we would call it a deal point on some kick ass oil fields, whatever you're poisoning is there, then the value the rest of the world assigns to those reserves can have a tremendous influence on what is seen as your observable wealth or value, But it's still not quite the same thing. Like, nobody has a briefcase right now with the trillion dollars in it, because it's super inconvenient. You would have to check that when you fly.
Speaker 2: Imagine that that would be the size of the Chrystler building.
Speaker 4: I can't even possibly imagine the physical manifestation of that much money. Do you guys have a of any thoughts around though the whole diplomacy aspect of like you know who, to what degree do individuals with this amount of money, you know, receive deference from the elon musks and presidents and you know other billionaires of the world, And how are they able to stay so anonymous?
Speaker 3: Well, the real advantages at that threshold, at only hypothetically, would be things like privacy, right, one of the immensely eroded resources of our time. We talked about this in the past. The second big difference is to your question access. So if you are past a certain financial threshold and you say, you watch something on TV, right, and you hear something on the radio and you say, I want to meet that person. You know, this Mariah Carey seems like a real up and comer. Then you can just have your people get you on the phone with Mariah Carey. If you like a good stock, you can just have your people get you on the phone with whomever is in charge of that stock. The access is one of the primary operational differences up there with privacy. It is entirely possible and plausible to seek to hide, hide, or distribute wealth such that you don't become a public figure, right, Yeah, God forbid an icon. It for class struggle.
Speaker 4: Well, and I guess you know some of the folks over here that have become figureheads of the companies that maybe generated so much wealth of them, many of them desire that limelight or it's too late for them to bow out of the public guide.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like I mentioned a few weeks back. You know, there's this struggle people arrive at. I can't remember whether this is on air, there's a struggle people arrive at in our distry, even where you have to ask yourself, do I pursue, you know, approval, the power of being publicly known, or do I go more c suite do I become an executive, right who moves behind the throne? You know, there's a there's a delima there, right, because sometimes those things can be mutually exclusive, or we could argue that because clearly, for instance, not to dunk on them too hard. Again, But Elon Musk made the decision to be a public figure because there is power in public attention, the kind of wealth. That's true if it'll work.
Speaker 4: Well, and it's a two way street. I mean, because as we know, it seems like Elon Musk made a lot of groundwork to have the kind of influence that he's been handed. But it would also seem that wielding that influence has not necessarily been directly good for his bottom line because of how public it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is interesting that somebody with that kind of wealth and power could give you a call. As you're saying, Ben, there people just get a hold of you, and all you hear on the phone is person X is interested in what you're doing and would like to contribute. And everybody or you know, in the operation of whatever you're doing, here's that and says, oh, that's millions of dollars at least we need to take that call and then what does that? How does how could that potentially shape what is being done?
Speaker 3: Right, mister Gibson, I have a huge, fat, no lethal weapon. Thank you for making the time today on the yacht rig Yeah, people can get touched.
Speaker 2: Yep. All right, Well there you go, guys. Thank you so much, Big Randy. We're giving us that little thought experiment. Thank you, Sergeant Riggs.
Speaker 4: Again.
Speaker 2: We'll be right back with more messages from you.
Speaker 3: And we have returned with a follow up to our earlier episode on the Manchester Pusher. The Manchester Pusher Please do check out the episode if you have a yet. The Manchester Pusher is an allegation or theory similar to the one we see in the Smiley Face murders. The concept is that in the Greater Manchester area many people, often dudes right, who have fallen into canals or drowned and their body's been found in a canal. The idea is that they are purposely being murdered by some sort of active serial killer or killers. The official explanation, which has always been pretty consistent by the way, is that no these are drowning and maybe people were intoxicated through a drug or alcohol, or maybe the weather was bad and they simply slipped. This was a controversial phenomenon to cover, to explore, and we want to thank everybody who took the time to write to us regarding this. I don't know about you, guys, but I was absolutely astonished to find just how many people reached out and directly contacted us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there lots of great messages about this episode.
Speaker 3: So we'd like to share just a couple of these. One, you know, one we can start with. We mentioned some of these in a previous Listener Mail segment. One that we can start with, however, is another thing. I had teased this for a while. Law enforcement in Manchester contacted us. We'll give them anonymity, but they contacted us with a lot of great information. I'm thinking maybe we can read just a little bit of this message from a local police constable. Okay, GMP Bobby writes to us and says, hello, loves, there's a photo of me at work. I work for the GMP, And without getting two into the weeds, this person did prove their bona fides to us, and GMP Bobby says, I love this episode. I've been meaning to send you an email for some time to discuss the pusher. I know a few months ago you discussed a similar thing in a city in the US. Camp for the life of me, remember which. Look, I can't pretend I have even come close to working for Major Investigation Team MIT. Different MIT, the unit that would investigate murders and the like. However, I work on the City of Manchester Central District. This covers the city center and the areas with the highest volume of nighttime economy. The pusher is the sort of theory that a lot of us in the GMP like to talk about a lot, and we'll pass the mic here Matt, GMP Bobby is responding to some questions we raised about closed circuit television.
Speaker 2: It continues, I just want to clear some things up. Yes, there is a lot of CCTV. It actually isn't that hard to get. The majority of CCTV in the city center is covered by the local authority. Almost all businesses will supply CCTV with a simple form for information disclosure, so that really isn't a problem. We also had the powers to seize CCTV if someone is being obstructive. CCTV, however, does not cover vast parts of the canals. The majority of the canals in the city center do have railings to prevent this sort of thing. However, once you leave the city center there are no barriers. The canals span miles and miles of the Greater Manchester area. Railing all of them would cost a bloody fortune. Also, there would be some arguments for the barge boat owners. I dare say, which.
Speaker 3: We encounter later, and some other correspondence. Now, gee, Bobby moves on to walk us through encountering a canal. Noel, do you want to hit us with this one?
Speaker 4: For sure? The canals can be the quickest way if you are a pedestrian to leave the city. And if you're pissed up, I guess that means drunk and your phone has died, So no GPS the easiest way to navigate to your house. It would be tempting, but also you'd be an idiot. I live in a suburb on a canal. I have often walked to the city along the canal. It can be nice on a good day when it's well lit. They are very dark at night, however, unbelievably dark. The canals are also used a lot by criminals or people cruising. They are also used a lot by lads wanting to take a piss on a weekend night. I imagine that actually means urinating into the canals. Some areas of the canals are steep, very steep. If you hit that cold water drunk, you ain't getting out Once the panic sets, in.
Speaker 3: Which we appreciate the confirmation Bobby of something we were discussing on that episode. Bobby continues to talk about the demographic, the demographic commonalities of the victims. One of my favorite lines there is I would say males tend to be the ones to choose to walk home from a drunken night out. But of course I would say that I'm a cop d And so we got this in depth report. I do want to share a few final pieces of this correspondence. And as you guys know, I corresponded directly with this person and many other people who wrote to us, and in every single case we received a lot of support. We received a lot of people who have their own details and experiences surrounding this. So you are primary sources there in Manchester, and if you wrote to us, thank you. Here's one thing Bobby wants all of us to know at home. Bobby continues, Whilst you are correct and that we are massively underfunded, we do go out of our way. I have attended no end of jobs as a response cop of people falling in. By the time we arrived, usually in minutes, the person is already out with a blanket and a cup of tea. Likewise, a lot of jobs come in with reports of bodies in the water. These are taken very seriously, even if it ends up just being get this guy's garbage floating about.
Speaker 2: I can imagine seeing something in the waters down there if it's that dark. Yeah, as Bobby's describing, it's like I should probably call someone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what would you do? You know if you saw this at it's three in the morning or something. Are you going to run over there to the canal?
Speaker 2: You're going to dial nine nine nine or whatever the thing is.
Speaker 4: It's totally escaping to me where I heard this, but it was definitely in like a British comedy where someone referred to a kind of a low life element as the type the hangaround canals. Interesting and I had never quite got that reference until now.
Speaker 2: Oh sorry, guys, I was going to make a reference to Skyrim. You know that that city center that has the canals, and yeah.
Speaker 3: And Skyrim still slaps what's the what's the bar?
Speaker 4: Where the the something flaggering flagging? There's the ragged flags, the ragged flagging flagging.
Speaker 3: I've played this game too often, right, Uh? So Bobby continues and says, Look, no police officer wants to end up in coroner's court for not doing their job. Which Bobby also, we didn't know that was a thing. Uh And Bobby says, we're not perfect. I do believe we all try our very best, especially when it comes to investigations that involve a death or an accident or otherwise. So Bobby says something really diplomatic here, I, by no means want to diminish the worries and concerns of those people who have lost loved ones. There is an if there is a conspiracy, I am not privy to that, and I have not watch the documentaries. I love this phrase too much, like a bus man's holiday for me, but I may very well do so. Now, had you guys ever heard the phrase bus man's holiday?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 3: Okay, so neither we wrote to ask about it. And apparently a bus man's holiday is meaning that you are on vacation, but you still do your job. So it's sort of I guess a comparison of that would be us taking a day off from podcasting just to listen to podcasts.
Speaker 4: Sure, also the way we take vacation in general.
Speaker 3: Just yeah, And with this we we won't have time to get to all of the rest of the correspondence, but we we got some great hot fuzz references. We got people who noted there are similar theories in Bristol, a nearby a nearby area also riddled with canals, And we got a lot of requests you guys to go to a live show in Manchester. What do we say? Absolutely, yeah, yeah, yeah, football Club oh Man, which we mentioned, yeah, Chester United, Yeah, man.
Speaker 2: You I keep seeing an image of what is it? What is the title, Bobby? What is Bobby's title?
Speaker 3: GMP, Bob, GMP Bobby.
Speaker 2: Did you guys watch the show the Fall?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Are you aware of that one? I see Jillian Anderson talking?
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, now, before we wrap up, we had a lot of questions on various social media platforms and emails and so on regarding why we had a string of classic episodes. We talked about this recently, but one thing we did promise our friends and family over on. Here's where it gets crazy. Our Facebook page is that we had a lot of fart jokes. So to close out tonight's listener mail, if we may, we'd like to, instead of letters from home, send you some fart jokes that we're really proud of, slash ashamed of. Yes, yeah, okay, we'll keep it all right, All right, here we go. Hey, guys, why should you never fart on an elevator?
Speaker 4: Many reasons. It's it's very rude.
Speaker 3: It's wrong on so many levels.
Speaker 2: Oh that's good, yes, related one. Yeah, guys, I just released my own fragrance. Nobody on the elevator seemed to like it.
Speaker 4: They didn't care for it.
Speaker 3: Speak of parallel thinking. Here's when Tennessee pal Uh said, as well, be careful with this joke. It's an antique, but we love it. Guys. What do you call a teacher who doesn't fart in public? I think you can fear this one out a teacher.
Speaker 2: I think I got it in public.
Speaker 4: I don't think I got it. I'm farting up the wrong tree with this one. Guys, what do you got.
Speaker 2: They're a p I have?
Speaker 4: It is damn your eyes.
Speaker 3: Hey, what do you call it? What a king farts? Noble gas?
Speaker 2: That's a science too, Yes, it's on the table, fellas. What's the stinkiest kind of jacket you can wear?
Speaker 3: Hold on?
Speaker 4: Hello?
Speaker 3: Oh? Oh uh? What is it?
Speaker 4: A windbreaker? I was going to say a pea coat. That's different. That's a different kind.
Speaker 3: Of No, I get it. I like it. Let's keep both of those. Hey, what do you call it? Cow's fart?
Speaker 4: Methane?
Speaker 3: All right? Good, good, good dairy air.
Speaker 2: Oh, m Aird.
Speaker 4: There's no god.
Speaker 2: This is my last one.
Speaker 4: This is proof positive of this. Guys, this there's no god.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 2: Why is it strictly prohibited to pass gas in an apple store? Why is that no windows?
Speaker 3: That's great? Okay? One last week? Oh I had another fart joke, but I blew it. Okay, So anyway, we'll need to hear folks. Yes, we hope this message finds well. Amid grand adventure this evening, we'll be back with more episodes, more strange news. We used to tell more fart jokes, but everyone told us they stink. So find us online, find us via email, find us via telephonic device. Just hit us up on the Internet where nothing smells.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, it's true. You can find us all over said odorless, colorless Internet at the handle Conspiracy Stuff where we exist on XPKA, Twitter, on Facebook with our Facebook group. Here's where it gets crazy, where the fart jokes are flowing, are wafting whatever. And you can also find that handle on YouTube. We have video content galore for YouTube. Enjoy on Instagram and TikTok. However, we are Conspiracy Stuff Show.
Speaker 2: We have a phone number. It is one eight three three st d w y t K. When you call in, it's a voicemail system. You've got three minutes. Give yourself a cool nickname, and let us know within the message if we can use your name and message on the air. If you've got more to say, they can fin that voicemail. Why not instead send us a good old fashioned email.
Speaker 3: We are the entities that read every piece of correspondence we receive. Be well aware yet unafraid, core ignition, hypothos shazoo. Sometimes the void writes back, give us your takes hot, cold or middling. Let us know what we should explore in future episodes that you feel your fellow conspiracy realist will enjoy. We're just a few steps away. So join us here in the dark conspiracy at iHeartRadio dot com.
Speaker 2: Stuff they Don't Want You to Know is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from my heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.