Speaker 1: Warning. Today's episode contained spoilers for Daredevil Born Again season one episodes five and six. Be warned.
Speaker 2: We won.
Speaker 3: Hello.
Speaker 1: My name is Jas Consocio and I'm Rosie Nike and welcome back to x Ray Vision of the podcast where we have deep and to your favorite shows, movies, comics of pop culture Company for Myra Podcasts, where we're bringing you three episodes a week every Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, plus a little chunk of news on the weekends.
Speaker 2: Your little nut news that's why you get it every Saturday. In today's episode, we are talking about Dad Evil Born Again episodes five and six.
Speaker 4: Whoo, what a show this is.
Speaker 2: We will be breaking down everything you need to know as well all the things you might have missed.
Speaker 1: But first episode one five followed by one oh six of Daredevil Born Again. It's Saint Patti's day in New York, Big day in New York. Big that is at the Bank New York Mutual Downtown in the Financial district. Looks to be somewhere around Maiden Lane in New York City, helping him out as assistant bank manager. Yusef Khan, father of course of our friend Kamala Khan and patriarch of the of the Kan family. Yusef is very proud of his daughter, as one would expect. She's a superhero bona fide, tried and true superhero doing real superhero things. She's currently quote out in LA with her friends.
Speaker 2: Yes, in California with her friends aka beginning the West Coast Avengers. That is probably also going to be the Young Avengers, seeing as not all of them are very young.
Speaker 4: Now we always thought they were going.
Speaker 2: To combo those the younger the younger Avengers. We know from Hawk that Kate Bishop's aunt has a compound in La, which is you.
Speaker 1: Know, realisticonomically the comics West Coast.
Speaker 2: Exactly, which is then Brancho Palace Urde is unbelievably the site of the Donald Trump golf course. That is the address of the West Coast Avengee compound.
Speaker 1: So yes, and currently undergoing a medium motion landslide the ocean. May God strike that property.
Speaker 2: No La knowledge is unquestioned.
Speaker 1: Now, Yusef again very proud. He shows off a custom Funko Pop. So Funko Pop exists in the MCU of Kamala, and of course Matt cannot see that, so Yusuf is like, whoops, Matt, is here because he's applying for a loan for Eminem because they want to hire more lawyers, they want to expand get a bigger office. It certainly can't be Matt's doing, since he is never really working.
Speaker 4: No, and also I pray fancy.
Speaker 1: It's a huge and very sparsely like people like the one person in the background, and it's not like there's a kind of people coming in out. It looks like you got a lot of space, Matt, I don't know. And then use it turns him down very politely, Matt Lee, He's so polite, very polite. Then a van of Irish gangsters pull up in order to rob the bank to make up for the monies that Fisk and Vanessa have have placed on the gangs because of this truck heist. And the renuneration in the truck heist is one eight million, and the gang needs to make that money up in order to pay it, and so they've decided round me, they take the bank employees hostagen. Of course, Matt hears this from down the street with his dared devil hearing, he goes back in, pretending to be a simple, unassuming blind lawyer and the leader of the gang is, you know, like, hey, everybody who is very irish himself is like, everybody, shut up, don't get hurt. We're gonna have to rough you up and maybe kill you if you don't comply. And Matt's like, well, if you start doing that, then your chargers would increase, so you don't want to do that, and the gangsters like, who the fuck is this? Come on, come on guy, and then starts beating them up with his rifle butt. Who oh, we have a solicitor up, We have a solicitor, will try that. He starts beating up Matt. Matt, here is the cops pulling up, and meanwhile the gang leader is like, we need to get down to the vault. The bank manager is not here. Yusuf is the assistant bank manager. You, sir, are going to go down to the vault with one of my guys and they're going to open up the vault and get in there. Gang leader talks with a lieutenant. Now that the cops, you hear, they go to Plan B. And Plan B is apparently some scheme by which the gang leader will deal with the cops and his lieutenants will deal with the heisting operations. Whatever that means, so they've prepared for this moment. Detective Kim, who wears a lot of hats in the NYPD's out there. She is the hostage negoti truly.
Speaker 2: I'm like, they are really cutting down on the NYPD budget and the MCU.
Speaker 1: She does a lot of stuff in the NYPD. She's so she's here, she gets on the horn, is very very calm. Almost I will say, I think she's almost too calm. I think she's too called, a little too cool.
Speaker 2: She's basically just like, hey, man, hey, do what's man?
Speaker 1: Well, that's crazy.
Speaker 4: I feel like, you know what.
Speaker 2: In the MCU, I'm like, don't you guys have more important things to do than stop a bank heist. I feel like America loves bank robos, like just go like stop a serious criminal's.
Speaker 1: There's normal people in there. True? Okay, So Detective Kim is like, you're surrounded, what what's what are you trying to do here? And Jesse James and Yang later calls himself Jesse James says, I need three armored cars for all the hat and I'll give you twenty five minutes to get him or I kill hostages. And Kim's like okay, show of trust, give us two hostages. So Jesse James goes to select the hostages. He selects this some lady and Matt. Now the ladies there with their husband and they start going, wait, like can't we go together and all this stuff in Matt's like, yeah, yeah, that's fine. I know, I hear it. Be a less simple, a simple, meek, blind lawyer. But let her go, let them go together, that's fine. Now Jesse James is really annoyed at Matt and they get into like this kind of pseudo background exposition conversation about Matt, where are you from, Laddie, and it's like, I'm from Hell's Kitchen in Hell's Kitchen, and what's your name? And he's like Matt Murdock is, oh, we've got irish solicitor and an orphan taboot who's blind ow Heaven's ste Betsy, my lord.
Speaker 2: I love how when they do this they shouldn't up. You're like, wow, Matt's background is so tragedy, is not hilariously like over the top tragic. And then Jesse James is like, just fucking take your hosband go, like sick of talking to this guy.
Speaker 1: I know, so Yusuf gets escorted down to the vault. The two hostages are released. Matt learns from another hostage who is a Mets, Jets Rangers fan that actually there's like barely any cat Like the only thing down there is like safe deposit boxes. It's not like a ton of cash down there. And so Matt is like a hot they must be after something in one of the boxes, very specific, and this is all becoming very inside man, uh the Spike Lee Bank robber epic. Matt is like, I gotta go pee which side?
Speaker 2: I felt like they would have just been like just piss yourself, Like I don't think that that taken any They're.
Speaker 1: Like the corner taken to the corner by the potted plant. But he convinces one of the guys to take him to the bathroom, and Matt easily overpowers this guy, like instantly, very easily, while doing it quite silently. Then he goes to use of sade knocks out yusif Sky. When Jesse James calls yusif Sky on the radio, Matt puts on his natural Charlie Cox accent and it's like, don't worry, We're at the horse now, We're looking into it with a lucky charms and all that we're gonna find to watch and is like, Wow, mister Murdoch, this is amazing. You've got so many talents, including mimicrying, including apparently like martial arts mashals. Wow, what a guy.
Speaker 2: I feel like the fact that Yusif's daughter is a superhero. I feel like he's probably clocking on at this point, like oh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, He's like, yeah, I've seen this stuff before. Matt then cracks the safe using his super senses and think, okay, so what could the gang be after? Meanwhile, Kim is like, hey, we need more time for the armored cars. Jesse. There's this little bit where Justs is like, all right, I don't know, Yeah, I'll give you a more time if you tell me I'll go joke. Yeah, I'll give you three more hostages, and she tells them an.
Speaker 2: Irish joke, which I feel like, I'm like, was that the best plan?
Speaker 4: I don't know?
Speaker 1: She like yeah, and she's like, anybody got a joke? And it comes with the Irish jroke. Matt discovers that the safe deposit key the guy guarding us have had a safe deposit case. Then they find the box and it's like, this huge amber colored diamond is the goal of these bank robbers. Matt heres outside that swat is beginning to get ready to storm the bank. So he goes up to Jesse and says, hey, the cops should come in, so get out of here before shit goes bad. And if you just like leave right now here, you can just have look, I've got the diamond I went.
Speaker 3: I got it.
Speaker 1: Don't worry about how I got it, but I got it, and you can just go. And Jesse James is like, well, I could just shoot you and get the diamond. But as he's saying, the cops begin to storm. So Matt like throws the diamond up in the air in the confusion, which Jesse snatches. It's in a little one of those little felts gem bag, gem bag. He snatches it out of the air, puts it in his pocket and there's chaos and confusion and shooting. Matt knocks out a guy one of the robbers, and the confusion and Jesse quick dresses in true like heist style, puts on his cop disguise, dresses like a cop and flees with the stone and Matt while this is happening, realizes that there's a lady in the bank who is like, who is a hostage who's like in on it? Yeah, she's the insider, and Jesse gives her the stone and is like, give this to Luca, Luca of the Bad Jackets. Yeah. Matt then puts on one of the bank rubber masks and confronts Jesse in the street, beats him up and breaks his leg. Really, Glaci's the ship out of that guy? Like he fucks him on really man.
Speaker 2: Like, did you need Frank Castle's permission or is he just gonna do this ship? I mean, I thought that was so cool though, how he puts on the the red mosque and then he's just like just beating off this like caught very funny stuff.
Speaker 1: The lady out on the street is like, let me just take a look at this gem bag. It's feeling a little ungem like. She looks in and it's a candy or Worser's original or something from Yusuf's candy ball. And then uh, later Matt is like just basically returns to discuss events with Yusuf and check up.
Speaker 2: And I'm hilarious, Like just coming back to the back where I was, and.
Speaker 1: You was like, you know what, you're a great guy. Come to my house in Jersey City and we can discuss ways in which to grow Eminem's revenue, you know, without a bank loan. And when he leaves, Usuf discovers that the diamond is just in a bowl on his desk. I guess, in the candy bowl, in the cannyball. I guess Matt is just thinking, Yusuf will do the right use. Okay.
Speaker 2: I like this though, because I was legit thinking. I was like, okay, so what's the messaging here? Like, is Matt like the.
Speaker 1: Message is how we grow Eminem.
Speaker 2: You you keep this diamond and maybe you like get a new house after it got smashed up by the Marvels, though obviously Matt doesn't know that, and maybe keep a little bit for me and uh and what's happens and the insurance.
Speaker 1: I feel of course he thinks, I just like, hey, put this, which I also think is really funny because then he could be putting Usuf in a terrible situation because they could be like, Yusuf, how'd you get that?
Speaker 4: Like were you in on this?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Like I don't know if Matt he could just be like, well I found it. I don't know. I found it here in My Caddie and My Delicious Candy. I thought this was a great bottle episode. I understand this is definitely one of the episodes where they're really trying to do a little bit of MCU connectivity with you.
Speaker 1: Say, I like the light touch. I think it works connectivity.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it works. I think it's a fun episode. Who doesn't love America loves a bank robber. I also thought it was interesting. I couldn't find like a direct comic book kind of correlation to the to the Rainbow Gang. But I mean there was a gang of Rainbow named bank robbers who are cat burglars who appeared in like one issue. But I thought it was a cool visual technique. I also love how in America and in like American culture and Hollywood movies and Hollywood TV and stuff, every bank robbers they need to give themselves like an equal gimmick, Like they it's like they want to get caught.
Speaker 4: It's like, are you the dead presidents? Are you everyone?
Speaker 2: Like every time you rob a bank, you have this cool because I think they know that if they do more than one bank robbery, then people may support them in American culture.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I thought this was really fun.
Speaker 2: I was very happy to see Matt's confidence here, like he was thinking like I have gone off again, no cosmic issues, like I can deal with banks. Yeah, he was very sassy, very silly, And yeah.
Speaker 4: I thought this was a very fun episode.
Speaker 1: It became clear to me in this episode that the Born Again dang is kind of a misdirect because, as we have talked about, much of Born Again happened in the Daredevil series on Netflix. First three seasons had a lot of the plot points of Born Again broken up and parceled out in like different chunks. This daredabl Born Again is essentially Daredevil season four with a lot of the cadence and few of the original show, but like changed and arcs that would have taken two three episodes are now kind of condensed. And I like it. I think it's really meat too.
Speaker 2: I think it's speedy, I think it's efficient, I think it's engaging. There hasn't been a dud episode yet for me. It feels very consistent compared to other MCU series of late also as well, I think something that is really intriguing about the Born Again kind of you know.
Speaker 4: Touch or or kind of twist.
Speaker 2: It's like, actually, everyone throughout covering this in the lead up, including us, I'm sure a ton of other people were like, hey, maybe it's just means like born again because he's joining the MCU, and it's like, yeah.
Speaker 1: I think that's what it is.
Speaker 2: And that's actually cool because, as we covered in our Born Again book Club episode, it's a controversial comic and you have to have a very very very smart, insightful touch to be able to adapt some of it. So for me, I'm happy that we're not kind of retreading. I think a lot of our discord after reading the book realize like, oh, if this is a redo of Born Again, we've seen a lot of it, and I see you think it's really cool that they haven't done that and instead they're pulling from more contemporary dead evil, like we said, like the very celebrated child Soul stuff.
Speaker 1: Let's take a quick break and return with episode six. Okay. Episode six opens with a BB report, which begins with interviews with various graffiti artists talking about you know, what they do, the way it's criminalized in New York, and whether the existence of vigilantes, hurts or hinders law and order in the city is the basic conversation. Meanwhile, out in Red Hook, the iles corpse of Musa's latest victims is discover on the rocks. Matt, meanwhile, is in his bedroom. Foggy is clearly on his mind. He's praying. In one of the most like comics accurate. Matt Murdoch is a Catholic moments that we've seen certainly thus far in the in the Born Again series. I really like this. I felt it felt very true to who he is, this very guy who's very devout but also very violent, very law following, but also a visual HANDI the whole thing.
Speaker 2: Someone shared a great panel in our discord and it was like it said something along the lines of Matt Murdoch has is a supero, you know, vigilante with a very strict moral code that he often ignores, and I thought that was like a really good way of describing him.
Speaker 1: But he feels bad for ignoring it.
Speaker 4: He feels bad. That's he feels.
Speaker 2: You have to have the Catholic guilt of not following it as much as he would want to.
Speaker 4: And I love that.
Speaker 2: We get Heather coming in here. She's quite surprised because that's very comics accurate too, Like you got this young modern couple enjoying, you know, good sex and kind of living life in New York, and then at one point someone's going to walk in and their face is going to be shadowed and they're going to see Matt in his true form, which is him kind of praying and crying and wishing he could be the hero he thinks Hell's Kitchen deserves.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so she is. You know, he's thinking about and probably feeling bad about his attempted burder of Bullseye and how much he wished he had succeeded. And Heather comes in and is really surprised to see how devout Matt actually is. She has not seen this side of him. And Heather is like, are you okay? And is this because you were just taking hostage in the bank, And he's like, oh, no, that's not that.
Speaker 4: He's Honestly, if.
Speaker 2: I was, if I was going to tell you what actually happened that day, I could have not been taken hostage.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I was kind of bored and I heard with.
Speaker 2: My superman hearing that I wanted to go back and just kind of leave that.
Speaker 1: Part because it makes so like that's such a natural you'd be like, are you like you were taking hot There was a violent wring crobbery like are you okay? He's like, A right, I'm not, that's not.
Speaker 2: He's I'm just wishing that when i'd thrown this guy off a four story building, he'd actually died instead of, you know, surviving.
Speaker 1: Then Heather's like, listen, you know I'm working on that new book. I want to tell you what it's about. It's about vigilantes. It's about a case study of psychological study of vigilantes. So I was wondering, like, you know, as a lawyer, you know a lot of people in that world and your law office did you know previous law office did work with Frank Castle. I was wondering, could you get me a sit down with the punisher? And he's like, are you fucking for real right now?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: You great? Well what about Daredabal? Do you know Darnable? And he's like, oh, let's move on.
Speaker 2: When this happened, I had this moment and I don't think this is the case. This is not a theory I think is gonna that's gonna come true. I just had this moment where I was like, oh, it would be so gutting, Like if we were watching the Netflix show, this would feel like there was some kind of duality there between, Like is Heather actually getting close to him.
Speaker 1: Because of that?
Speaker 2: But I love this relationship.
Speaker 4: I don't think that's the case.
Speaker 2: But I did love the idea that like he would do a sit down with her as Daredevil and then he's doing like a sitcom style bit where he's like, oh, Matt's here, Like I bet I just gotta go out, and you got to go to the bathroom, like I.
Speaker 1: Will say, I love. We don't get a lot of secret identities in the MCU. Even Peters in his various incarnations get blown really quickly, like really, people know who that's Peter and Spider Man. Basically like even though you have to raise your mind, you have to go all through these loops to like make it work again. Here is the tension is. I think they're gonna get a lot of fun drama out of this. The fact that she's investigating vigilantes, She's like interested in the topic. Clearly Matt has a lot of strong feelings that he's not going to be able to like truly, you know, come clean about So this is really interesting. I like this. Yeah. Good. Luca comes to see Fisk in his office and Sheila is like a little discomfited at a true gangster coming through the mayors.
Speaker 4: Yeah, She's like, maybe don't do this with me, Maybe do it with your little like sideh but like, don't have me.
Speaker 1: So he's there because of the issue of the one point eight million that he owes because of restitution from the truck heist that cost the lives of two guys, and Luca's like, well, I'm not flaying pain it. You're by the way, why don't you just work, you know, like do mayor shit?
Speaker 2: Like yeah, He's like, how about that? And how about the fact that I went through I got my guys to do a whole bank heist and they just brought me back a Weather's original, So.
Speaker 1: You fucking did you run the city? And I'll deal with my stuff and Fisk is like, oh yeah, now it's two point eight million and I get the other million that goes straight in my pocket. And Luca leaves, but it's clear that he's not happy about this and probably won't comply, and then the pressure on both men is really ratcheting up. Sheila brings John Santini from the sanitation department of Fisk's office. He is a huge Fisk guy. He believes that Fisk can fix it, and he's a big fan. He's here because there's this actually very striking Fisk mural in Red Hook that shows the mayor eating the Wall Street bulls ass. Basically, oh who could do that? And it needs taking down. But it turns out that when he because it was like not coming off and it's this weird epoxy and then he did an analysis John did of the paint and it turns out it's blood.
Speaker 4: Oh human blood. I wonder that many blood.
Speaker 2: Also, I was like obsessed with the fact that in the credits, most people in this including the bank robbers and stuff, they just.
Speaker 4: Get one name.
Speaker 2: So I was really interested that they gave this guy the named John Santini. And then I looked up and I was like, I don't remember immediately anyone in Marvel called that there's like a Jose Santini, not the same guy. But then I was like, did they just give this guy like a funny name because his name kind of sounds like sanitation. I was like, is this just like a Stanley s comic book thing? And I was like, no one gets a second name in the show, but maybe he will have a family member or something. But yes, turns out the paint is made of human blood. I wonder who could have painted that?
Speaker 4: Jason.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Matt is back at the office for once, discussing case strategy with Kirsten when Hector's niece Angela comes in and Matt's like, what is it like eleven forty five? Should you be in school? Like what's going on?
Speaker 2: Should be She's actual job, Matt murder like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and she's like, well, yeah, I've got I've got something for you. My uncle was investigating something those missing people the missing person's cases that nobody seems secure about, which we the audience know is related to muse but nobody else seems to know that. She's like, I want you to pursue this, and it's what my uncle would have wanted. And he seemed to think that all the cases happened in the vicinity of, or related to this specific abandoned subway station. And Matt's like, okay, this sounds like a cop situation. And she was like, well, they probably killed my uncle.
Speaker 2: So I don't feel like absolutely wild thing for Matt to tell her, just like a couple of episodes off because she's like crying about her uncle was killed by the cops. I'm like, Matthew, but also funny because I do think again, like when she came and asked him this, I'm like, this is very much out of the remit of a lawyer. Like this feels like she has an inkling of what matt really.
Speaker 1: Does, right, because as a lawyer, he does have to say, like go to the police. Yeah, that's not my issue. She is like, well, if you won't do something, I may go down there myself.
Speaker 4: Oh, don't check it out.
Speaker 1: The paint is absolutely blood, Gallo tells Fisk and Gallo Commissioner Gallows guess is that the body count for just the mural is anywhere in the ballpark of like up to sixty people blood for the mural. That's a huge amount.
Speaker 2: If you don't think that comic books, you know, comic books are crazy. If you don't think that Data of All Born Again is doing a good job at making it more realistic in the comics, it's one hundred people's bloot. Okay, so here. They were like, let's make it a bit more realistic.
Speaker 4: He's killed sixty people.
Speaker 1: Sixty people of disappear from the streets of Manhattan in recent weeks.
Speaker 2: I guess, one of them most prolific American serial killers of all time time. And that's the case he's done.
Speaker 1: That's just virals.
Speaker 4: Also, I have to say his murals.
Speaker 2: I don't want MWS to come and kill me. Obviously fictional character, but just got to put out them. Not trying to make the universe get me killed by a graffiti serial killer. But the murals are pretty basic, like you could have just done the mural.
Speaker 1: I like the Fisk one. The Fisk is the best one. That's the one where he's eating the butt of the well. But the other ones, I agree with you, are like.
Speaker 2: You could have just gotten some pain from like a car shop, babe, like over or whatever, like go just get some I don't know if you needed to drain someone's blood.
Speaker 1: Yes, the juice worth the squeeze, I guess for muses insane, so for him, yes, yes. So by the way, Detective Kim also on this case, she's she's the hostage negotiator and she's like the lead investigator of the Muse case, like, give this, give them my gall a break?
Speaker 2: I know, could she like is she the only left?
Speaker 1: And well they did say earlier in this series there's a lot of time.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But also as well, I feel like if you are the hostage negotiator, you probably also shouldn't be the serial killer profiler, right, I feel like.
Speaker 1: Like paperwork on the heist.
Speaker 2: You know, also as well, I just want to say, you know, Aaron super producer, Aaron did just pop in an important question because as it was a very controversial topic during Agatha all along, Jason, who do you think has killed more people? Muse or Agatha?
Speaker 1: Uh, well, technically Agatha because we will never know the true number. Right, at least here we have hard science. Yeah, okay, true, true, And well here you know what, I think it is mused just because like in the modern day with where people don't just like drop off the map and you're like, yeah, I wonder what happened, and you know, like no one looks for them, or that's fun in a hole full of witches, you know, like, yeah, I think it's a more impressive feat to go for sixty on one mural in the modern era than it is to go for probably seven agree with that hundred or certainly in the dozens.
Speaker 2: For you know, I would say like, I'm glad you clarified that because I am a believer. I'm definitely a believer with the Agatha killed in the hundreds. But our discord was very upset. They did not like to hear that said about their beloved Agathaharkness.
Speaker 4: Okay, so I think you're right. I think it's news.
Speaker 2: And also I will say I agree with you because I get that had to put in a lot of effort, seeing as that was an era where people were just like dropping off.
Speaker 4: The map, dying of tuberculosis and.
Speaker 2: Shap Yeah, the Bible just gying got a lot of effort.
Speaker 4: There was a lot of news. He just got on with it.
Speaker 2: There was no fake song needed, no like weird lore. He was just like, I'm going to kidnap some people and drain their blood street.
Speaker 1: So it's like in a full get up where it's hard not to notice this guy and he's been doing it, like really out, I'm impressed. Fisk, in the middle of this meeting, begins to like laugh, He's he loves this for some reason, He's like, listen, Gallo, let's keep this whole thing quiet. Was like what He's like, oh yeah, because here's here's my reasoning. If this goes to the press, Muse will just go underground. He'll be harder to catch. That doesn't make any sense, But we'll let Fisk cook. That's fine.
Speaker 2: But Friscus just like he's just like, yeah, I fucking love this guy.
Speaker 1: Like sounds great, like just like sounds hilarious. So he's like, yeah, yeah, obviously go after him, but let's keep it quiet, and it's gonna be clear that Fisk is going to use this for something. Yeah, that night, Muse claims two more victims just out in the street.
Speaker 2: And this was like making doing a good job looking like the Kingpin anymore, you're doing evil behavior.
Speaker 1: So he claims too more victims. Meanwhile, Fisk tells Vanessa about the meeting with Luca and the one million dollar Taxi puts on him. Clearly he's like trying to impress her, like ha, old guys, still got it right. He then is like, you know, being kingpin not that much different than being the mayor, and Vanessa clearly is like getting like that. She's like a charmed She's like, tell me more big Willie, Big Willie style. And also tonight is the big Fisk Can Fix It fundraiser where he's got to go out and meet the constituents New York's elite and you know, shake hands, kiss babies, and and try to drum up more money for his next run. Vanessa suggests that when you meet these people, Wilson, let them feel like they're in charge, even if they are not. And at this event, Kingpin ends up sparring with a few of the lead including Jack Ducaine, everyone's favorite swordsman.
Speaker 4: Love that guy.
Speaker 1: He seems to be taking a very anti Fisk stance for reasons that aren't like beneficial or good in any way, but he just doesn't like the guy putting his finger in his pie. We also learned that Fisk, who's getting dressed in his like mayoral duds his party outfit, is beginning to put the old Kingpin weight back on. All of that night time stress eating in front of Adam's cage is having an impact on the waistline of Wilson. Fisk.
Speaker 2: Dude, It's true, that's something so interesting about the way the food is connected, and like luxury is connected his vision of what it means to bendite.
Speaker 1: He's a man appetite.
Speaker 2: And the funny thing is about it, though, is he's not wrong, like being man has a lot of interesting stuff to say about New York mayors at a time when that feels more resonant than ever. But like he says, like it's not so different to be kingpin to be mayor, Like he could balance both. But the appetite he has is really about torture and cruelty and the need to you know, terrorize this man who who upset his life with Vanessa.
Speaker 1: Yes, you know, basically ruined his relationship with Vanessa when it was like reaching its most hallowed pinnacle.
Speaker 2: And who doesn't love to eat some like delicious pasta from like China.
Speaker 1: He's been doing that for a while.
Speaker 2: Oh he's Cherry am in those cops.
Speaker 1: Investigator Cherry very anxious comes to the office and is like, Matt, I got to tell you something. There's a serial killer on the loose, sixty victims in the in the region of sixty victims at least, and it seems like the cops think the suspect is the street artist Muse. Matt is like, what sixty victims? I haven't heard anything.
Speaker 4: He's like about this Muse. I love him.
Speaker 1: I was gonna his anti his anti Fisk murals are really funny to me.
Speaker 4: He did like a cool white tiger mural.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well guess what that's all blood of victims. Cherry is like, listen, I told you this because I don't want you to get involved as daredubl, which is like, why did you tell him? But he's like, yeah, listen, just like stay out of it. Let the cops that five, six, maybe ten more victims tops, and the cops will will catch Mews like he can only even take a few more victims. Back of the fundraiser, Fisk gets the news that Muses struck again a double, this time bodies left out in the open, eyes torn out, and this one's gonna be hard to cover up. So Fisk changes course. He orders Gallo and this is clear, this is what he's been hoping for, right, Yeah, he to assemble his own like dirty cop force. He orders Gallo. Okay, Gallo, you're going to assemble a task force that I and I will pick the personnel. So what does Gallo exactly doing the emails? I guess yeah, so and and it and the the the like list of guys is all the dirty cops included everything cop that we've met. Gallo is like, wow, these are all the dirty cops, and Fiscus like, yeah, that's what we need to catch this guy. They will get overtime, they will get which none of the other cops are getting right now. They don't have to wear body cameras legal who cares. They will answer directly to me.
Speaker 2: Also, I feel like I like the idea.
Speaker 4: I like where he's coming from here.
Speaker 2: He's like the dirty cops they will be, you know, on our side. But also I feel like, if you're sending them to catch a serial killer, maybe you don't want them because the serial killer could just be like, hey, here's some money, don't catch Well, it's.
Speaker 1: Clear to me that Fisk one wants his own like goon squad, and two that this is the goon squad that he's going to send against Matt, against Spider Man, against whoever. Fisk goes to meet the Anti Muse Task Force, he gives them a big raw ras speech with which they fucking eat up. He's like talks to one of the guys and it's like, hey, why are you know? Tell me about you and he's like, well, I killed a drug dealer and I got in trouble for it because I shouldn't have done that, and people got mad at me because I just like executed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I just like constantly executing people.
Speaker 1: And visc is like, well, that's not a problem in this unit. I love that kind of shit. I want you to do him more. That's the kind of go get them attitude that I need from my anti mused task force. All you mini punishers out here. I love you guys, and the guys fucking love it. They are like, yeah, killing people. Whoa Angela? Meanwhile, in a true babe, what the fuck are you doing? Heads down into the subway stations, look for mus not even wearing her uncle's mystical anult anything like.
Speaker 4: Ambulut.
Speaker 2: I thought when in episode five, I thought, when they were going down to the safe deposit boxes, we were definitely gonna get some mystical amula action. And now on Angela, you know your uncle had a mystical ambula. He was not just going around with his little iPhone flashlight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just in the dark muse tunnels. Well, mus catches Angela, no problem, gets gets all, it's not an issue, carries her back to the lair in order to drain her fucking blood. You know, his hideout is as creepy as you would expect. There's victims hanging for hooks, there's blood paintings on parchment on the walls. Whatever. He sedates Angela and then puts in the cather to tube and begins a drain in that blood for his dog, for channel for his next street art masterpiece. Meanwhile, in another very grim Wilson, what are you doing? Wilson action in hand is like, okay, I'm going to resolve the issue of Adam once and for all. The stress eating is putting the pounds on me. I gotta stop. I could just stop eating in front of the cage, but what I need to do is stop with the Adam stuff, because that's the true diet. It's like this, he's making me eat. So he goes down there with the axe and he says, hey, I've been struggling with this and I'm gonna let you go. And we're thinking, okay, maybe this would be great, and he says, but it is really hard for me to let you go, so uh, let's do it this way. Take this axe and see if you can get by me.
Speaker 2: Crazy crazy crazy crazy, And like what Wilson is really addicted to here is.
Speaker 4: Just torturing this matter.
Speaker 2: Yes, obviously nowhere close to the actual moment I'm going to reference here from Game of Ferns, but because that was an extended and terrible time. But I always remember during the Reek storyline, watching it with my best friend Alex, and the moment where Reek is allowed to escape, you know, and then he's gonna get saved and brought back, and my friend Alex said, you know, nothing more dangerous than Hope.
Speaker 4: And this is definitely where Wilson's at.
Speaker 2: He's like, I'm gonna pretend to let this guy go, but I'm gonna absolutely fucking just fuck his ship up.
Speaker 1: And he does. He does. I mean, he throws him through the ceiling, he throws him against the pillar and breaking it. He throws them through a table.
Speaker 2: He is giving him superpowers, like he's job.
Speaker 1: W e ing this fucking all around, and it seems like he's dead, but he and is he dead? Really really fucked up? And honestly, with the with the ruse knuckles, maybe this is kind of just a more extreme version of what Wilson has been doing for a while exactly.
Speaker 4: That's kind of what I think is it's been.
Speaker 2: Escalating, and I do think as well that we are still they're doing some very interesting stuff. He about the kind of journeys that both Wilson is taking back to Kingpin and that Matt is taking back to Dade, because.
Speaker 1: These scenes are intercuts, so like they intercut Kingpin's beating of Adam with Matt going down to the subway tunnels too, because he gets a call and he realizes that angel is missing, so he goes down there and he runs up on Muse. And I will say if this, if mus is the teenage kid, he fights too well because he holds his own and can really take a beating, and Matt does not have an easy time, yes, trying to subdue Mus. Though I should say that Matt also has like the double responsibility of trying to protect Angela's in form for being like stabbed by News, which ye, so Matt really gets put through his paces, but eventually beats the shit out of Muse and then chokes him out with like a cable. Then he you know, saves Angela's life. She's lost a lot of blood, but turns out she's alive, and we fade the black. That is that episode.
Speaker 3: Wow, we'll be right back after a quick break.
Speaker 1: And we're back. I mean, this is so Matt back as Daredevil. He's doing it in the suit. He's in this suit.
Speaker 2: And Wilson his back as Kingpin at least you and King Kingpin type shit. So we're heading into like the lost seven, eight, nine, last three episodes of this series with both Kingpin and Dead Evil back, and it's going to be very interesting.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be very interesting. What is the conflict? How does it come? How do they're on some sort of collision course but it still feels like that collision is far off. And then there's the issue of fucking Bullseye out there. Oh and how for sure he will re enter the story, but like how and when and where and will we also see uh Frank re enter the story. It's gonna be interesting. Also, I kind of don't know where we're going from here.
Speaker 2: I think that's one of the best things about this show is it's not easy or predictable to tell where we're going.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: Obviously we've had some we were right moments because we have read the comics, so we saw the meuse stuff coming. But the Wilson putting together his little gang of like essentially punish a fanboy.
Speaker 4: Cops, I did not see that coming.
Speaker 2: I also didn't see Angela just going down into that without her mystical amulet, which, Babe, I know you're gonna get it, probably not this season, but in season two. I believe you will be White Tiger, and I know you're gonna kill it. But you shouldn't have gone down there. So another thing I'm interested to see is what happens when Vanessa finds out that her lover was down being tortured by Wilson. Good. Don't feel like she's gonna be feeling good about that?
Speaker 1: Good question. It does feel like we're like Wilson is coming closer and closer and closer to being the kingpin again. Meanwhile, the streets are in chaos, and you wonder how Vanessa, who it really seemed in the opening of this season was managing things quite well, like everybody was paying what they owed and there was not a extreme level of gang violence. So one was wonder how she feels about all of this, because it really feels like Wilson showed up. She kind of got put on the bench as the kingpin of the Gangs essentially, which was the role of manager of the gangs. And he seems to be more and more looking to like rebuild himself as mayor slash kingpin with more of an emphasis a king.
Speaker 2: He doesn't have patience to just be may I, And.
Speaker 1: So you do wonder how she feels about all this. And I think the Adam thing is going to be a true shot because he lied to her, even though he did it in Wilson Fisk style. I'm not that bad anymore. I'm not.
Speaker 2: Maybe it would have been better if you show him in the head, because he's really good.
Speaker 1: I gave him an accent, he had a he had his opportunity, he had I knew you loved him so much, so I put in his beautiful artist's hands and acts and he was not He was not to do it. So I think that there's another confrontation coming there or they'll be interesting to see another fun episode. I like the again. It really does feel like an extension of a true extension of the Netflix series in a lot of ways, and the kind of almost soapiness of the of the personal lives of these two characters. I like it very chaotic.
Speaker 2: I also think that there is a really interesting balance that the creative team of striking here where Yeah, we do get these characters back that people wanted, you know, Foggy, Karen Frank, but they're not oversaturating the story and they're also not just like random cameos. So I feel like people who've had issues with Marvel in that way of feeling like everything is way too connected or too heavily reliant on fan service, I feel like they've got to be impressed with this show at this point because I think that they're making a lot of really interesting, big swing choices. And yes, I'm very excited to see where it goes next. I think Charlie Cox and you know, Vincent Dinofrio have never been better. And I'm loving the side characters too. I'm excited to see more. Three episodes left. What's your craziest prediction that you'd like to see?
Speaker 1: Oh, well, I think Bullseye is going to enter the story somehow, some way, probably jailbred.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm a bulls eye stand so I would love to see it.
Speaker 1: I feel like Wilson maybe is going to try and frame Matt as Muse. Maybe they don't catch maybe Muse. Oh, I like maybe Muse. It's unclear, Like really what happens to mus after this fight?
Speaker 3: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: Maybe he slips away and Fisk says, well, Darrevil might be doing this, and by the way, all these vigilantes gotta go. So maybe that's I think that's maybe my prediction. What about you?
Speaker 2: I would like to see a dead evil team up with somebody potentially big out there, timfoil Hat style.
Speaker 4: I would love to see Spider Man.
Speaker 2: I don't think we're gonna get it, but I'm just throwing it out there because you wouldn't have to have Tom Holland you can just have Spider Man.
Speaker 4: Nobody knows who he is. I think that could be interesting.
Speaker 2: If not maybe finally get to see him and Frank back together again. I think something like that could be fun. I'm just interested to see where it goes. You know, It's actually really fun to watch a show like this where they keep surprising us and aren't always following kind of the obvious path. I'm really interested as well in how much casting they're releasing for season two. I feel like it's quite clear that season two was already laid out whenever they put together this version of season one. So I'm excited to find out more about where that's gonna lead us, and some of the incredible casting like Matthew Lillard and who potentially they're gonna be playing.
Speaker 4: And whether this season sets any of that up.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I'm really excited, and I'm hoping this is gonna turn people to more Dead Devil reading because.
Speaker 1: More street level stuff. That's the other thing is, like, I think more street level content. I am we need it kind of hungering for. It's not you know, people get killed and people get hurt, so it's low stakes is non exactly but cosmic. It's not cosmics. It's just yet bad guys on the street, gangsters, you know. Like this is I like this level of superhero and I'm eager to see more. In the next few episodes of Extra Vision, will we continuing our Daredevil Born Again coverage and reacting to the upcoming Nintendo Direct news. And that's it for this episode. Thanks for listening, bye. X ray Vision is hosted by Jason Concepcion and Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart Podcast.
Speaker 2: Our executive producers are Joe Alminique and Aaron Koufman.
Speaker 1: Our supervising producer is Abuzafar.
Speaker 4: A producers are Common, Laurent Dean Jonathan and Fay Wag.
Speaker 1: A theme song is by Brian Vasquez, with alternate theme songs by Aaron Kauffman.
Speaker 2: Special thanks to Soul Rubin, Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman and Heidie are Discord moderator