Speaker 1: Are you leaving? I you wanna way back home? Either way, we want to be there. Doesn't matter how much baggage you claim and give us time and a terminal and gay. We want to send you off InStyle. We wanna welcome you back home. Tell us all about it. We scared her? Was it fine? Malborn?
Speaker 2: Do you need to ride?
Speaker 1: Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride?
Speaker 2: Ride with Karen and Chris welcome to Do you need a ride? This is Chris.
Speaker 1: Fairbanks and this is Karen Kilgarriff.
Speaker 2: Karen Kilgarriff.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you noticed, but I cut off my cartoonish hair.
Speaker 1: You know what's funny? I should have noticed, and I actually didn't.
Speaker 3: Well, it's still got. It's just I'm not gonna hear anymore. Carrot top side show. Bob comments, you've shaped it, you sculpted it? It is, Yes, it's more rounded and more like a nineteen eighty eight dad.
Speaker 1: Cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and is that what you asked for?
Speaker 3: I already yes, I brought in pictures of different dads from television.
Speaker 2: Nice and the guy obliged.
Speaker 3: But I've yeah, I can already tell people are treating me with respect and no one's going to pick any fights with me.
Speaker 2: Me hippie at a laundromat.
Speaker 3: That was kind of a sketchy situation. But yeah, I just wanted you to know because I don't know if you were a big fan of my cartoon clown hair.
Speaker 1: I didn't. Now that it's gone, I can say I did not like it, because can I say why?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: First of all, because we're friends and I'm honest.
Speaker 4: With you, Yes, please.
Speaker 1: The ends, first of all, look like you were doing joke hare. So anytime people do presentational stuff with their person I just go like, take it easy. But you're not the type to do that. But it looked like you were doing it. Then I was like, hey, especially quarantine. Yeah, he can do what he wants.
Speaker 3: When I was on stage, that's when it dawned on me, Oh my god, I have comedic hair. Yes, walking around during this pandemic, I didn't have comedy. I needed some kind of an outlet. It might as well be my hair. But you said the ends, the actual split ends, you weren't a fan of it.
Speaker 1: Seems like I don't know if there was split I never got to be that close to you, but it had a flyaway like a kind of presentation. And you're right, I think when you're on stage and you're doing like funny stuff with your presence, I don't know what your image.
Speaker 2: My physical my pratfalls and all that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's nothing to play again. Suddenly it's like, look the clown is here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: So then it's like, right, Hong Kong, get on with it. Whereas when you come on and you have you know, sometimes when you like gel your hair down and you kind of look like you're from the twenties, then people are like, oh, look at this dapper gentleman and boom, here come the hard jokes. Yeah, they don't see it coming. Yeah, it's a total shock.
Speaker 2: You're right.
Speaker 3: There has to be that contrast because my material certainly isn't dapper or gentlemanly. Rite I really pushed the envelope. Speaking of envelope pushing and physical comedy.
Speaker 2: You know, our guests today from Karen doesn't He.
Speaker 1: Does clubs and colleges all over the country.
Speaker 3: Comedy clubs and colleges, right, both numerous colleges. He actually and I wanted to talk to him about it. He made the funniest video. I don't think that he's celebrated enough for his physical comedy, but we'll talk to him about it. Everyone think, hey, Manoir, Hey.
Speaker 4: Thank you, thank you, thank you for having me. I didn't know I do so many colleges. I'm learning about my career.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we say that, and I think we have yet to have a comic that's done to college in the last ten years.
Speaker 1: But it really goes. It's all the k sounds in the intro. Yeah, it makes it seem like you're doing things people don't even know sure are possible, right and everywhere, Yeah, everywhere.
Speaker 4: I love that. That's such a boiler plate intro. When you bring up another comic, it's like this next guy. Clubs and colleges all over, Like people are impressed just by the sheer quantity. Me too, all over both Wow, clubs and colleges.
Speaker 3: But to us that is impressive because I only go to two colleges. I have an ability with bringing up something I found online or saw once that the comic is not at all out of But I have a feeling you are proud of yours.
Speaker 4: Well. I like that. I like the deep dive b side more than something everyone has seen. Yeah, because there's like a deeper level of appreciation and understanding. So when it's the thing no one else points to, I love that.
Speaker 2: Well now I hope no one has.
Speaker 3: I mean it was sort of recent, maybe two years ago, but you did a self tape audition for the Invisible Man movie. And I don't know if you've seen it, Karen, but he just I mean it's he's basically so you're the Invisible Man, huh, and.
Speaker 2: Then he just beats himself up.
Speaker 3: But your ability to throw a punch and have it seem like an invisible person is holding your arm up and then making you hit your own self in the balls.
Speaker 2: I watched that over and over.
Speaker 3: You're not even saying much in it, but your physical ability is unprecedented.
Speaker 4: That's deeply appreciated. Like that that was one take, believe it or not? Really one take? Yeah, And what's absurd is like that Instagram video made it into the Comedy Store documentary on Showtime. I'm like watching it and I'm like, that's what you picked from me? Just an Instagram video I made during quarantine.
Speaker 3: Here's something you may not have known. I edited that Comedy Central documentary.
Speaker 4: Ah, that's why you put it in there. You have a soft spot. Okay, Okay, I am the biggest fan. Now it makes sense.
Speaker 3: You're an Invisible Man self tape.
Speaker 4: I mean, I just remember I was watching that movie with this girl I was dating at the time, and we're watching the it's it's a drama, The Invisible Man, you know, the reboot with uh yeah, is it Elizabeth moss Yep. Yeah. So but then that scene happens in there, like I pretty much it's almost like I'm just making fun of that scene, Like I just bust out laughing in the middle of this drama, and I'm like, thank God, Like I'm watching this during Quarantine because I would have to leave the movie theater. I was laughing so hard.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the only one laughing because you saw a lot of your moves.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because it's supposed to be terrifying.
Speaker 1: I saw it in the theater and I had the same reaction where I really loved the house that it started in or she went to where I was like, this is an amazing architecture or whatever, but I'm like, that's not the point of this. And then my friend was like raving about it, and I was like, so you love it when people look around? Because that was the entire movie was just her like looking like really dramatically looking around a room. It's like that. It was truly like thirty solid minutes if you edited just those parts together where she's like, he's there but she can't see.
Speaker 4: Yes, he's in business.
Speaker 3: The search the movie should have been as long as Fame's video. What I don't like about that film if we're going to keep talking about and we are, this whole podcast is about The Invisible Man.
Speaker 2: I hope you're ready.
Speaker 1: Every single hard pivot, it's.
Speaker 3: Just another movie where everyone she knows that she trusts, like her closest friend, no one believes her her own sister. And it gets so frustrating when that is the because of course Sarat gonna believe her, but that's the whole movie.
Speaker 4: No one believes her, and it's like, ah, but I watched the whole thing, Well, yeah, someone believes her. The movie's over, right.
Speaker 2: I suppose that would throw a wrench in it.
Speaker 4: The lesson is believe all women. I think from Invisible Man, that is the takeaway.
Speaker 3: A lot of people don't see it coming, but it's a very, very arguably the most important film of this decade, I'm going to say.
Speaker 1: And of the women's movement, yeah, I think, And that's very few women actually saw that movie and it's doing a lot of work on their behalf, So we got to get the word out.
Speaker 3: It probably is in the women's movement category. On Netflix. Everyone they have these categories sometimes like black Lives, and they'll just have the most They should be ashamed at some of the are you listening Netflix? I always like to build good relationships with people that could make or break my career.
Speaker 2: What am I doing?
Speaker 4: I like when they change the thumbnail on me, like now I'm going to watch it, Like okay, I like this thumbnail.
Speaker 3: What if you see an actual scene from the movie and not a the poster.
Speaker 1: I like the auto play of a scene from the movie starts and I have a reaction. I think this is also being stuck in a house for a year and a half. But it's almost like if it's something I don't want to watch or I'm not interested in, if the auto play starts, I rush to like flip forward, where it's like it's fine if you hear part of a movie you're not going to watch, Like I have some very strange reaction, like if it starts, I'm gonna have to watch it, and then then where will I be.
Speaker 4: I have the same anxiety when it auto plays. I don't like it. I have to get it off of it.
Speaker 2: Yep, I agree, it's a bad choice.
Speaker 3: Plus I click on the movie sometimes because I want to see the end of that scene and then you're disappointed, like the start of the whole movie.
Speaker 2: I don't have time for that.
Speaker 3: I just wanted to see how that argument ended and Act three.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I thought I was the only one freaked out with the AutoPlay. It's sort of too much pressure. Yeah, it's sort of like clicking on a sponsored ad. I feel so bad. I feel like I set myself back, like all the good will I've been like avoiding all these commercials, but then when I accidentally click on a banner ad that pops up, you know how, like a little a web page, and then it kind of shifts to the left a bit, and they're like, ah, fuck, you got me. And I accidentally clicked on a banner post. Then I feel like I'm gonna get a bunch more of those. And that's what it feels like with the AutoPlay, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you just end up accidentally watching Marge, Sampson and Homer in some sexual situation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or like on Netflix, the algorithm might think you like that because you somehow were interacting with it. I think it's that I'm always so embarrassed when I see things I've been watching where it's like, oh, I wouldn't want people to come in and be like, are you really? Are you an alien theorist? Like what's happening here that you're well?
Speaker 4: You know what's even more intimate than that is when your YouTube page comes up, because that gets way more niche like, Netflix is kind of a little window into what you want, and you're not going to be that. You might be a little embarrassed, but if someone sees your YouTube splash page, that's like a diary.
Speaker 3: Yeah really is that someone would think I work on Honda chords for because that's all I've looked on YouTube is how to put on hubcaps and headlights.
Speaker 1: I look at a lot of these days. I think I look a lot of at a lot of people reading tarot cards based on your sign, which is not necessarily something I like it. I think it's kind of interesting. But it's not like you would think I lived my life by these readings because there are so many of them on there, because I'll just kind of let them play through or like. But then when those automatic ads come up, I always notice how mad I get. You know, you have to wait five seconds, yeah before, and then you can click then you can skip it. There's one lady that's at the beginning of one ad. I don't even know what it's for. When she starts talking, it's like, I fucking hate this lady, and it's like, you don't, you don't. It's fine, like you get to click off. It's only five seconds, but she's my enemy for sure.
Speaker 4: I get it. My pep peeve is like when you're watching maybe an hour long video on YouTube and you hit pause and then you leave the house and you come back to it later that night and you hit play and they play ads, and I'm like, you don't get to do that, Okay, I wasn't at an AD point. You just know that I left the house for a couple hours and you're trying to stuff some ads. I hit back. I don't let them have the satisfaction.
Speaker 3: I watch a new video, we just thought maybe you were at the store that whole time and you maybe forgot to purchase.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you don't get to squeeze in new ads because I hit pause.
Speaker 1: Last year I bought the Always Pan. Have you ever seen the ad for the always Pan?
Speaker 4: No? Wait, what is it? How is it?
Speaker 1: It's like, well, first of all, the lady pronounces it the always Pond, and so I was watching it and just laughing at first, but then the longer I watched the video, it was like the perfect skillet. Basically, it's like.
Speaker 2: It's codd you can always use it, yes.
Speaker 1: And there's like a steam basket in it, and there's all these ways to use it Always Pan. And I ended up buying one for my sister and my cousin Kim for Christmas. And I was just like, oh, this is this is I'm the dream person right now that like stumbled upon, watched the whole ad and then bought several of the products, Like how often does that happen?
Speaker 4: Right? That's the jackpot? So you love the Pan? Huh?
Speaker 1: I love it. I actually really do love the always Pond?
Speaker 2: But do you always every day? Ah comedy? Have you ever bought anything like that online? Fame. Have you just like impulse infomercial purchase.
Speaker 4: Not the not like infomercial, but like I did get on the cast iron skillet kick for a bit, and I was watching a lot of YouTube videos on that, like how to what's it called? This called something your pants? Yes, he's in your pan? All that? How to clean the pan? So that, And then I was on an air frier kick for a while. I bought people air fryers. Yeah, I was like the Oprah for my podcast they did like I did an airfire giveaway. I was like, I go tell me why you deserve one, and I'll send you one. And then I sent one for like to like two or three people.
Speaker 1: Nice. Wait, are you a big believer because someone just me an air fire?
Speaker 4: Oh my god? Yes, okay, I'm a big fan.
Speaker 1: What's the good?
Speaker 2: What can you do with this?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: It please? Okay, okay, all right. So there's so many levels as to why it's great. Just on a baseline level reheating food alone, it's worth it for that. It's a time machine. It doesn't taste like something you reheated in the microwave. It like if you put pizza in there. It's like the first time. You got it. So even just for like reheating pizza, let's say, and.
Speaker 2: I'm already sold you had to do that, But there's more, there's more.
Speaker 4: There's no way, is my opening argument.
Speaker 2: Okay, still sitting in the studio audience.
Speaker 4: Yes, tater tots in seven minutes. I mean, come on, that's too quick. There's no way they're as good as my normal half hour. But they are, and they're crispy and they're perfect.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then I clap.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you can do salmon in it. You can do steak, and well steak. I have a little hybrid method I'll do. I'll start it out in the air fire, but then I'll finish it on the ski. It to like crust it.
Speaker 3: I notice you're mentioning things that aren't traditionally fried, though, what about everyone's American favorite French fries.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you could throw that in there. I mean, look, it's not like oil that you're dunking it in. And then frying supposedly is healthier healthy. Yeah, we'll say that it's.
Speaker 1: Healthier, but it makes you think it's not. It tastes like it isn't.
Speaker 4: Uh no, it just it does fries well, it does like Mazzarelli sticks, like, oh boy, any of those type of foods are like chicken nuggets, but you could do proper food like salmon, and it's like way shorter time than an oven. I feel like the microwave is for like pasta, and that's it.
Speaker 3: I use my microwave a lot lately, and I do feel like kind of a loser when I depend on the microwave.
Speaker 4: It's still good. There's a time and place.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, but not every day.
Speaker 2: Not every day.
Speaker 4: You use it every day I have been, Yeah.
Speaker 1: And you're cooking in it like I.
Speaker 3: Actually, you know, I reheat my leftovers and then I you know, I do that probably every other day. So every other day I feel like a loser because of my microwave.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but you're reheating. That's not as bad.
Speaker 1: That's what it's for.
Speaker 3: I've already sold me on the air fire. I'm gonna get one. I'm not gonna wait and sleep on it like I did the Floaby and then you get it twenty years later and it doesn't even work with curly hair.
Speaker 4: The wait did you do it? I did get a floaby? Yeah, hold on, when did you get it?
Speaker 2: About ten years ago?
Speaker 4: It had the it was you remember the Floby man Like, I don't know anyone who's actually purchased one. So this is like a gold mine for me, Like, yeah, it is getting to relive a conversation I never got to have.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well ask away. I mean you do have to hook it up to a conventional vacuum with a shop bag. Yeah, a shop back. Maybe it would have worked on my hair.
Speaker 4: Okay, so any vacuum cleaner you attach it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I had an old tired red devil, But if I had had a shop back, I think it probably would have.
Speaker 4: We just would have ripped it out of your head. If it was a shop.
Speaker 3: It's just just a bald, bloody patch. Wow, that is short, but yeah, that is. It even has the as scene on TV logo.
Speaker 1: How many times did you cut your hair with it?
Speaker 2: One time?
Speaker 1: Time?
Speaker 2: Two times?
Speaker 4: Sorry, just start singing, that's part for the course, for the flow be like, no one's like I've used it eighty seven times. I think, yeah, it's once for the novelty and you go, I can never do this again.
Speaker 2: Well, it's a lot like my massager that I just got.
Speaker 3: You really need to not live alone, you think you're gonna just this will be great. I'm gonna cut my hair on my own all day and you kind of need someone's help.
Speaker 4: Yeah, of course, Like what the did it not look great when you did it?
Speaker 3: Well, I'm not going to hire someone to come over and cut I might as well go to a hair couver if I'm involving a second person.
Speaker 4: But you have like great curls and stuff. I feel like, thank you. Yeah, the curls can like hide a lot of the approximation of a haircut, so you could do it on your own.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I have before. Yeah, it's just in the back there. There's a bit of a problem if I do if I go.
Speaker 4: You ever noticed during the pandemic though, because of zoom, like it was almost like those sets when you're in a Hollywood lot. You just had to look good from like here to hear, and no one knew what a wreck it was, you know, they just have like the front of a house at like paramount, like that was your faith. It was great because you didn't have to get ready as long as you normally would, because you have to be three dimensionally good looking in the real world when there's no pandemic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you could do you have to rotate and public.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but when you're on Zoom you're just two dimensional. You're like super Nintendo and like, as long as this looks good, your money.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then little did they know and back there's leave some band aids.
Speaker 4: There's twigs.
Speaker 2: In your special theme you dance that.
Speaker 3: I like that bit where you're like all comics dance at the beginning of when they're brought out. What if you kept dancing and behem dances Karen for like I think three minutes. Yeah, first of all, you're a good Do you ever dance seriously or are you just jokingly really good at dancing?
Speaker 4: You know, it's interesting, like sometimes I will dance seriously, but because because sometimes I'll dance on my Instagram just like because I like a song and it's fun, and you sometimes I think that things could just be entertaining. Sometimes we forget his comedians or there's this thought like I gotta be biting and the smartest guy in the room. Sometimes things can just be like joyful and entertaining. And so sometimes I'll just post a dance video just because I like the song and I like the dance or whatever. But then people because I'm a comedian, like whire is it crossed? Thee are like, that's hilarious, and a little of me is like heart like, it's not supposed to be hilarious. But I'm glad you took something away from it.
Speaker 3: The main thing I took away is that at the end of your three minute dance you appear to be not at all out of breath. So then I wondered, what other physical Are you a runner? Do you swim all day? How the hell were you not breathing?
Speaker 1: Do you train? Were you trained?
Speaker 2: Isa?
Speaker 4: That'd be funny if I trained for my special just for that three minute dance bit, like I was just doing holding my breath underwater and like cycling.
Speaker 1: And Debbie Allen is there, yeah making stuff.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm training with whim Hoff for breathing techniques just to do this dance bit. No, I mean just like regular gym stuff. And it was just like that slice that was kind of I don't know, physical, but I was okay after it. But if I have two shows and you do a weekend somewhere and you do something like that, you're pretty sweaty by the second show.
Speaker 1: You can't wear your silk shirt. Are you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I used to wear silk get the pits. I could do silk for like a five minute set, you know, but once if they tell me it's gonna be twenty minutes, I go, I can't. I can't wear that kind of fabric.
Speaker 3: Did you ever get caught up in the nineties with this silk boxer craze fahim.
Speaker 4: No, I never even really got caught up in the box or face like I was. I was like whitey tidies for the longest time. Oh wow, just because my mom would buy the and like I really didn't give a shit about like fashion or underwear. It's just easier, Like my mom got it. I don't want to go to the store. So I would do whitey tidies for a long time. And then boxers felt like too much freedom. Oh yeah, I need boundaries.
Speaker 1: I need constraints as a dancer.
Speaker 4: You can't have it all hanging out. Come on, you have to Yeah, it needs to be rained in. And then as I got older, I graduated a boxer briefs. It was a nice I think hyper.
Speaker 3: Yeah, see, that's what everyone should have done. Regular boxers were stiff, unstretchable cotton. For a while, I was getting silk ones. I think my dad was getting them for me. You should have fancy adult underpants. But they defied gravity and they would pillow up just throughout the day. You had a wedgie. I don't know what was pulling them up to the sky. Yeah, but inevitably they just rip in the crotch. You do one karate kick or one comedic kick and came from front to back.
Speaker 4: Just but also feels too sensual, like to be wearing silk boxers every day, that type of friction.
Speaker 3: At my age, I was like fourteen, I shouldn't have had the sensual.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's too ticklish, like, uh, if you're in the porn industry or something, all right, if you're if you need to excite your day to day. But that's not like the Hondel Court of underwear.
Speaker 1: That's like you're trying to you you have a secret, and maybe, like in the Bull Durham Way, you're trying to distract yourself from something else you're worried about, so you have special underwear.
Speaker 4: Of yes, it's a mental thing. Doesn't seem very really, it's not practical. It's not a practical underwear. Where'd you grow up Seattle.
Speaker 3: Oh, the rainy, the rainy, the old needle, the.
Speaker 1: Old funny in Seattle proper HUTU.
Speaker 4: No, like the burbs, like first Lindwood, then Woodenville. My parents are in Woodenville.
Speaker 2: You ever spend time in Kirkland.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, come on, man, my brother's in Kirkland. I'll check it out almost every year. I know all the towns.
Speaker 3: Dude, any relation to Kirkland. The signature bridge is yeah, I see. I didn't even know that, but I assumed it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they make good stuff Kirkln. Huh.
Speaker 1: Did you ever have seasonal depressive disorder because you lived in the rain?
Speaker 4: I don't think so. You know, people are always like, oh man, did it sucked being in the rain or redepressed all the time? But when you grow up there, you don't know any different, you know, so like maybe if I was a transplant, like if you came from la and then lived in Seattle, that might be tough, But I had no I just thought that's the way life is.
Speaker 1: Did you ever see any grunge bands, like before they were huge in the wild.
Speaker 4: I was too young. I was like in middle school in high school when it was the big grunge like Nirvana and like who does Black Hole Sun, like Sound Garden, Pearl Jam, all those guys. But I was into like nineties gangster rap, like the Chronic dog Food by the dog Pound, Doggy Style by Snoop Dogg. I was all about that, all about dogs. I was all about dogs.
Speaker 2: Do you still listen? I still listen to really nineties hip hop?
Speaker 3: I actually need to update my hip hop knowledge, but because I still just go back to the nineties.
Speaker 4: I'm so out of touch. Man, like I listened to I was like really into rap, you know when I was growing up, like nineties gangster rep and then even some like p Diddy, Mace, They's big, Like that was my jam. But then I got into dance music in high school and I just didn't keep up with rap. So nowadays I used to have no idea, Wait, were you like a raver? I have this weird relationship with like music and dance. Like I'm a huge officionado and like I scrub for tracks like on Spotify all the time. Almost every day, I'm searching for new music and I can dance. But I never went to nightclubs. I never like went to raves. I would just do all this stuff privately.
Speaker 2: That's great.
Speaker 4: It's like it's like a religion. You know, some people go to church, but I had like a personal relationship with music.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 3: I grew up not that far away in Missoula, Montana, and anytime we went to Seattle or just part way to Spokane as a teenager, you want to go to an all ages dance clubs. So I've probably been to more dance clubs, oh, probably in Spokane areas than you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know. And sometimes because like people on Instagram on the videos, when they're not laughing at me, the ones who actually like the videos, they'll be like WHOA, like you must you must get all the chicks, or you must have cleaned house because you could dance like that. But then I always think, like, how do you parlay that into getting chicks? Because it's just like I understand the girls like guys who could dance, but like to enter that scenario, it's very awkward, the iterations of it. So what I show up to the club by myself and then I just start dancing and hopefully the girl like I look like a weirdo. I'm just by myself dancing, even if it's good it's like, what's the backstory here? This guy's creepy, and then what's the alternative? I come with my buddy.
Speaker 3: I think about it all the time. How do you segue from? Because when I dance anywhere, it's by myself. It's a solo street style. I don't involve I don't know how to dance with another person. So you do your moves and then you pretend. The only way I can dance is if I pretend no one is there. If I start acknowledging another person, I hover above myself and I see the human situation I'm in, and suddenly the concept of dancing.
Speaker 2: Is so ridiculous.
Speaker 3: This happened the other night. I went to this place by my house. People were dancing, and I just was and I'm like, what are we doing as humans? We're moving our bodies to this sound. The last thing I'm going to do is try and get it tap.
Speaker 4: Like if you go by yourself, you're like a SimCity character. Like if I dance, if I dance close enough to these girls at a bar, they'll be.
Speaker 1: Interested or something like they're going to circle up around you, Like if you're good enough, they're going to be like come on guys, because I can't. I stop drinking like when I was twenty seven, so I can't really dance like I think drinking is the kid. It helps me, right, if you're just a little drunk, then you don't give a shit and you kind of that self consciousness is gone. But I want some my friend's wedding like a couple of years ago, and there was someone that I knew that tried to call me onto the dance floor like he was like, yeah, come on, come on like that, and I was so furious because it was so obvious that's like you are. It was like a half step before like a proposal at a hockey game that goes up on the screen or whatever where it's just like everyone knows this person wants you to come and dance with them. So your only option, like a big fucking idiots, to stand up and be like you know, like it was. I was just staring at him like I'm going to kill you. I don't and it's someone else's weddings, so you can't be like a wet blanket and like but it's like but I'm stone cold, sober, like everyone on the dance floor is at least four drinks in and I have to get out there and so furious worses.
Speaker 4: You have to put like pace that smile on your face even though you want to kill them, and you're like she's into it and you just want to strangle him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no one in history ever been like, I'm so glad you pulled me out there. I don't know why I was apprehensive. That was the best time I've ever had.
Speaker 1: You're the one that went out there. You had to like stand by your own dumb choice. That's not my don't bring me into it. I can't fix this for you.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So, other than dancing, do you have any skills that no one knows about outside of comedy?
Speaker 4: I don't know. That's the trouble is, like sometimes you talk to people and they're like, yeah, I kayak, I rock climb. I do all this stuff with my downtime, and I just like love stand up and like sketches, and I just love comedy so like I even do it with my free time. I'm not like writing comedy. I can't wait to climb a rock after this.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So I don't have a bunch of like super specific outside interests, like I'll play basketball every now and then, I guess, or I guess music and dance is the most specific thing. But outside of that.
Speaker 3: It's almost a distraction and I have to snap out of it soon because I've spent all this time, the last year and a half just skateboarding and golfing, and now I'm like, oh, yeah, I have to do comedy. I'm kind of cool enjoying the these other things it is, but I feel like it's better as a comic to be one hundred percent focused on it.
Speaker 4: Like uh yes and no, though, because sometimes, I mean I've noticed this even with myself. Sometimes you could be you could drill down so much into comedy and you need to like live regular life to be able to have to do the job right, because if you're just like comedy comedy, comedy, you're not living enough life to extract from it. Like are all your jokes about hitting different mics?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: On the other hand, though, I don't have a single anecdote about golf or skateboarding in my act, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: Well, it could be sort of like a mind defragging though, so even though it's not super immediate, Yeah, it could be running in the background and give you perspective on stuff that you wouldn't have.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I suppose it forcing me to just be around regular people and interact and remember how regular people think is the most valuable thing. I should start talking more to the people I golf skate with. It'll help for ideas that'll help you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm studying human behavior.
Speaker 4: That's cool. You can skate though, I'm so envious of because Instagram knows what you're into, like it knows that I'll look at skateboarding clips. I don't know a ton. I don't like you know, some people know every skater, they know every crew. I'm just like a cursory fan. Sometimes you don't pay attention for a while and you go, oh, humans are doing that now, And I've paid attention the whole time, and Monday it'll hit me like I can't believe what who is skateboarding now and what they're able to do?
Speaker 2: It just it amazes me. I like it a lot. I think about it all the time.
Speaker 1: But I also am a cursory fan who, like Chris showed me a clip of this guy that did this jump off of that it was like a Jiffy lube on sunset that like everyone, oh.
Speaker 2: That car wash. Yeah, they put a handrail up, no more jumping off.
Speaker 1: But it was like such an accomplishment where it's like, so that guy must have done that fifteen times and just bit it and like and he didn't get scared, he didn't give up. He didn't, you know, do it so badly he went to the hospital. He just kept doing it until he could actually and it was like a it was really high, like it seemed really dangerous.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a roof and then a drop and then you're landing on this. I'm glad because I sent you the raw footage of him trying it over and over. I know now you didn't watch it because he did indeed break his leg and his foot's going in the yeah, and then he rehabilitated, healed and then did it like first try after that, Okay, a year later. I'm sorry I sent it to you and I didn't realize and I don't like seeing injuries. I don't ever want to see a foot going the wrong way. And I'm like, I can't believe I just sent that to Karen. It's pretty So don't ever open that video I sent you.
Speaker 1: You know, It's funny. I almost never open any video anyone sends me because I know if they care enough, they'll bring it up again. And most of the time I go, do I have three minutes to sit here and give this my full focus? Or will I? And the answer is no, And so then I'm just like, we'll talk about that later.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if it's really important, you have to care enough, they'll follow up.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly. It has to be like a double request.
Speaker 4: Basically, that's a good rule.
Speaker 1: Kind of a pain in the ass, but fahim, you have you worked through the pandemic. You had to go to work today, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So it was interesting, Like I mean, before the pandemic, I was just sort of like stand up, just doing a lot of stand up and then an acting thing here and there, and stand up was a constant, and everything else was just kind of like piecemeal. And then stand up stopped because of COVID. There was nothing going on in LA and that was kind of strange for everybody, especially stand ups, where it's like part therapy, part going to the gym, just it's part of your routine. And then it's also a way to like have a livelihood, right, and then out of the Sky. I got this like writing job like the EPs for United States of Al on CBS. They were trying to staff up for They wanted Afghan writers because this it comes about this marine and his Afghan interpreter, and so they wanted to you know, represent the room honestly and stuff. So and they were familiar my stand up as well. So it's just random that during a pandemic, this like staff running job just presented itself. And I was doing that over zoom for like season one and then now we're back at Warner Brothers in the lot like you know, writing over there. But yeah, it was just I just got kind of lucky that that fell in my lap during the pandemic.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's cool.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you like it.
Speaker 1: It's a cool room.
Speaker 4: It's cool. Yeah, it's a different thing. Yeah, everyone's great. I mean most of any job is just sort of like who you work with, and people are lovely and they're great, Like you really looked out and now stand up is open, so I get to do both like all work by day and then do a set at the Comedy Store And.
Speaker 3: Have you been doing that like Laurie Kilmartin or something where I know that she works every day, and then I would see her at every show I did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and she has kids or a kid. I'm like, that's crazy. Yeah, the fact that she does all that. I'm too lazy. I couldn't do it.
Speaker 4: You just kind of learn your threshold. It's a balancing act, you know. Obviously I'm not doing as many sets as before the pandemic and before the job, but also the pandemic kind of made me prioritize things. I think a lot of people, even outside of comedy, just sort of evaluated their life and were like, do I need to be doing these things? Are going this hard on? Like do I need to do three sets at night? Right? And I think it's just carryover from when you're a younger comic and you just said yes to every set, but nuts and bolts when you look at it, like what am I learning between set one in the night and set three? Like I could do one every night or like four a week not have that much change in growth.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can't think of a time where I had three sets in one night, So I already know you work harder. Maybe in New York where it's like, oh, you could just walk down to this other Yeah, they talk like that there too.
Speaker 2: By the way, Yeah, you walk down to thirty eighth and the other UCB.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh they're out of business. I shouldn't have brought that up.
Speaker 4: But you also need enough time between sets to kind of like marinate on what happened, to have perspective a little bit, because if you're just rushing to get to every set, you're not fully digesting what happened in every I don't know, there's there's different schools of thought. The New York guys suppost be like you do eight of them in a day. You just grind yourself into a nub and that's how you get funny. And maybe in the first three years it's important to get up just like a ton, But once you know yourself, I don't know if you need to be doing like four sets a night.
Speaker 1: It seems like you save it for if you're prepping for something or there's some kind of like yeah, because if you're just doing a ten minute set and it's kind of the same.
Speaker 4: All the time, you know, yeah, what are you learning?
Speaker 1: What are you doing? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do that all the time. I think I just enjoy it.
Speaker 3: I'm like, well, I gotta go do stand up because I know I'll be happy after that.
Speaker 4: It's like, I gotta go feel normal stand up. WI help, I'm doing that in a couple of days. I'll just wait till then and stay on the couch.
Speaker 3: Is your family happy that you have a writing job sometimes that legitimized as a common your career or oh yeah, they already support you being a stand.
Speaker 4: Up uh, like for my dad, Like my dad is kind of like the last holdout on like comedy being a legitimate career or a thing that you could tell other people and not be embarrassed by. Yeah, And it's just so funny that, like, you know, I've been doing stand up for a long time, and I've had some great milestones that like other parents would be very proud of and stuff. But it wasn't until I got a writing job that like my dad kind of finally was proud or could understand it. Yeah, like my dad can only understand day jobs. You can you can only understand going into work, sitting at a desk, getting coffee from the breakroom. If it doesn't if it doesn't fit into that, like what is it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're just having fun with your friends and then you're just fucking around.
Speaker 4: Yeah, then I'm like guest on at Disneyland or something like. He doesn't he doesn't get it well.
Speaker 1: Also, if you work on like working on a lot too, I think is really uh exciting for family members and people that are like that's like you're not just justified, You're like, that's glamorous.
Speaker 4: That's like for normal people. For normal people, yeah, they'd be like, oh wow, the water towers there, they're filming movies. All these famous movies were shot there. But for my dad's just like, oh, you have a parking space and you have a building you go into for eight hours. Like all of the cool things he doesn't even care about. Is just sort of like, oh you you have health insurance.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was always on my mind when I had a writing job. It's like going into a parking garage and feeling like I was.
Speaker 2: A legitimate adult all of a sudden. But I just wanted to do stand up more.
Speaker 4: I get that. I get that, like I.
Speaker 3: Just want to make sure you're still doing stand up because you make me laugh.
Speaker 4: Thanks man. Yeah, I never want to leave stand up. And it's kind of cool knowing the different animals now, just like stand up and writing. Writing is cool. It's a different type of beast. You kind of lend a piece of you to the story or whatever your perspective is. But it's a collaborative effort. So it's like a percentage of you is being added to this comedic thing, where a stand up is like one hundred percent you, and that's like super fulfillent. Yeah.
Speaker 3: What I like about your stand up is you, throughout without presenting it like and now I'm going to show you what that would look like. You kind of just act out things and do sound effects throughout entire stories.
Speaker 2: So I always forget that.
Speaker 3: I like when I see a comic do that, and maybe I used to do it more, but you do it throughout and it's not like a let's see what that might look like.
Speaker 4: Thanks man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you're writing for someone else, do you ever, and this is like a writing question for both of you, do you ever in parentheses say at that point you would look down and laugh and start dancing, And then like how much do or do you let them interpret it?
Speaker 4: I mean some of it, like is the actor's choice. You know, they'll do it a certain way. But then if it's like a very physical particular beat. It's like in the stage direction and you could put that in there. Yeah, yeah, But when it comes to stand up, I like that you noticed that work because like some comics, it'll be very and now and it's very presentational of this physicality. But I mean it's always joke first for me, and then the physicality in the act out is just kind of like I see it in my mind's eye and I'm just sort of like it's an extension of the bit. I'm just seeing it to fruition, like I'm not even I don't even know I'm doing it or whatever. So I always like to have this organic quality to it instead of like, here's a guy skiing, like you could tell that the comic saw himself in the mirror.
Speaker 1: That is a good bit. Though your skiing bit is so good.
Speaker 4: That was my early stuff where I just said, here's the guy skiing.
Speaker 3: My favorite is your pigure new doesn't want to fly, that decides to walk downstairs.
Speaker 4: That's when of That was the real story in Kathound this pigeon. You have to see it to get it.
Speaker 3: I remember when a comic I rarely respect I'm not gonna name names, but went up after me, and she was like, well, I wish I had more act outs because I guess I was doing a lot of act out and it hurt me for like for so long that I kind of did stand up differently after that. I'm like, oh, maybe it's a bad thing that I'm no acting things out.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Was that also Lori Kilmark?
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 3: You couldn't even beat it out of me. I'll tell you when we're done recording.
Speaker 4: I think that's more of a testament to that comics insecurity than to like what you've got going on. You're just doing you you know. Yeah, yeah, there's nothing wrong with act outs unless it's the here's a guy skiing, then that's a different thing.
Speaker 3: But yeah, yeah, Or I mean, we couldn't all draw the line at humping a stool. I think that historically I wanted to do a bit where I got humped by the stool, like I get fucked by the stool.
Speaker 4: And the bits called the stool's revenge.
Speaker 2: From all the years of comics fucking it.
Speaker 4: But you know, I've had this thought. Okay, so like I think in the club circuit, like fucking the stool is like no, universally is hack. But I would say, like the alt equivalent of stool fucking is like reading a letter you wrote, or like a Yelp review, Like when you pull something out and you're like, so I wrote and it's this long ass thing. That's that's the alt version of stool fucking.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've done that before and not realized it used to bother me so much when someone was just reading a thing. You just get used to it. One day you're on stage like, oh my god, I'm reading something.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm reading a letter or like a subsack thing.
Speaker 1: Who have I become.
Speaker 3: Reading a thing while humping a stool and worst of both worlds.
Speaker 4: But it is impressive and just hard cut to the earth and then exploding.
Speaker 3: Well, I thought maybe there would be a lull like that, so I did the liberty of looking up good questions to ask comedians.
Speaker 2: I don't ever do any preparations, so I thought, uh, where, Yeah, what'd you get? Well?
Speaker 3: A lot of them are interview questions from movies, and a lot of them are questions that you should never ask a comedian, and all and all, I'll start with those for him. Do you write your own routines? That's like the isn't it then?
Speaker 4: Like Norms podcast where he'd be like like where do you or how do you write your stuff? Or where do you come up with? Like that was just like an ongoing runner, like a joke. Yeah, yeah, like a joke question where do you? Where do you get your stuff? Yeah? Right, it's so funny. Like people ask that all the time, Like when civilians find out way do stand up? They go, do you write your own stuff? Or it's just such a foreign concept to them.
Speaker 3: I snap back at them with like an almost attitude like yes everyone should, No one doesn't.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, why am I so angry? Sorry?
Speaker 3: I mean, if someone's famous and they go to the same city three times a year, they sometimes hire and.
Speaker 4: Pay a right, that'd be funniest to be like, but I don't do that yet. I hire people to write my ash. I mean, how funny would it be to like be at our level and just say, like I hire writers. I find them off Craigslist. Like you're already like making no money and you're gonna farm out the writing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just easier. It's how I want to spend my money. It's easier.
Speaker 2: I would do it.
Speaker 4: Another pet peeve is when they go, oh, let me let me know when your next show is like, like, I've been doing stand up for three months and I'm just doing bringer shows where I have to bring my own audience members. Like and then here's here's how that plays out. You think I'll come to you, Okay, some acquaintance or some guy I meet at a house party or something. I'm gonna get his info and say, hey, I'm performing next week, do you want to come. It's it's like the adult version of watch me jump off this diving board and then what's gonna happen? And then I'm gonna call him and be like, hey, it's Fahim and he's like who And I'm like him from the party, remember the stand up comedian. He's like, oh, yeah, well you said, like you know, tell tell you when I have a show. I have a show Tuesday. Do you want to come? And he's like, ah, I'm busy, Okay, well what about Wednesday? I have a show. And then yeah, just sort of like working out.
Speaker 1: He asked me to do this.
Speaker 4: If you care enough, you'll find me. You'll you'll google me and come to a show.
Speaker 2: Yeah that is so funny.
Speaker 3: Everyone says that let me know when you have a show, and I always just lie and say I sure will, I sure will let you know. Isn't it crazy posting about it on my social media?
Speaker 4: And then I'll it's just a societal lie that both of you have to tell each other like nothing has happened. He doesn't mean let me know when you have a show, and you don't mean when you say, I'll definitely let you know.
Speaker 3: And one of my rules, or I wish I could 'tenforce it is strangers only.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 4: I don't want anyone I know to be dude. I love that you have that rule. I mean I preach that, especially in the early years. I never understood the people who started doing stand up for like three months and they invite every person they've ever known in their life just to make every relationship awkward from that point forward.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, and they're all wooing.
Speaker 3: You know, someone filled a room when they're all just going whoo after a joke instead of laughing.
Speaker 4: Give yourself the opportunity to bomb.
Speaker 1: I had met a guy one time at a wedding and someone had told him I did stand up and he goes, yeah, I like to go to comedy clubs in Heckel.
Speaker 4: Oh oh my god, there's someone actually to be proud of that.
Speaker 1: Oh my. He was really proud and a little confrontational or was just like, all right, well, I'm not going to fight you on behalf of all stand up comics. I don't care.
Speaker 2: I feel like that has gone away a little bit.
Speaker 3: Of course, people get drunk and they they don't know that they're yelling things because they're used to talking to their TVs or something. But there used to be a thing, like ten years ago where people thought, if I'm if I show myself, first of all, I'm helping the show. And also maybe they think that they're gonna get discovered in some weird way and go to some Heckler fine.
Speaker 4: Where there's a Heckler agent like I like your stuff. Yeah, can you do this at every show?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Are yeah? Are you ever?
Speaker 3: Here's that's the one of these, really the worst questions stask a comedian.
Speaker 1: Are you?
Speaker 3: Are you ever worried a Heckler will be better than you and end up taking your spot on the stage mid show and catching your check?
Speaker 4: Is that's one of the hysterical Imagine how little confidence you have in yourself as a performer. If you're performing and the whole time you're like, I hope a heckler isn't pipe up and is way better than me.
Speaker 2: I hope they don't have a microphone and smarter idea.
Speaker 4: And I hope they don't pull my pants down when I'm on stage and point out my tiny peepy that's really specific.
Speaker 2: I hope it doesn't.
Speaker 1: I'll have a lot of fears. I one time on stage was kind of eating it at the improv and which is how I like to do it. And there's a guy this was like in the mid nineties, I think, And there's a guy to my left and his beeper went off, and so I turned and was like, oh, the doctor's in the house. And I tried to like rip him a new one for having his beaper go off, and he just was staring at me. And then when I like finished the last pseudo insult that I tried to hurl it at me, he just held up his wrist. He was like, it was my watch, and it was just his watch like beeped ten o'clock, you know, like, dude, dude. It was the smallest thing that I had totally overreacted to him. I just stood there staring at him. He just got me in the cleanest, most understanding way where he was like almost in a pitying voice, was just like, hey, like take it easy, but fucking awful.
Speaker 3: Why you have to have such a loud ass watch? Yeah, okay, loud look at me, Look at my watch.
Speaker 2: I'm a doctor. I have a loud watch because of my doctor job.
Speaker 1: That's when I started to realize It's like it is about the ease with which you approach the things that happened to you on stage. It's like, yes, you can think of good stuff to say back, but then if you're really upset as you say it, you're not gonna win it, doesn't you know.
Speaker 4: It's more about the first thought and just the conversationality of it rather than what is the best line in the world that I can deliver at this, like you expect like an explosion of laughter based on this, like curveball you got instead of just reacting like a human in the moment. But some comics, like the slightest thing will will like be not you know, like a girl will like laugh too loud or say something and they go nuclear and you go no, no, you've lost in goodwill.
Speaker 3: A lot of people don't go to comedy clubs because that's their biggest fear is someone going nuclear on them for sneezing or having a bad laugh. It's like that has to be that stigma has to go away. All laughs are good. Oh don't yell stuff, But no one's gonna attack you out of because you sit up front. We don't want to sit up front the comedie and I'll pick a fight with us and hurt our feelings.
Speaker 4: I make a point to rip people in the back row just to let them know, like no one is safe. I have I have night vision, and I have the most amazing I have the night vision, and then I have binoculars and I just roast everyone in the darkness. I go, you guys can't see what I'm looking at, but I'm spawn on with these roasts.
Speaker 2: Hey, you and the sound booth right behind you.
Speaker 1: That's actually a really good bit because the people that no one can see there were just like trust me when I tell you, I'm ripping the ship out of the whole air.
Speaker 4: That's a funny character. It's like back row roaster. The comedian comes on and just roasts everyone that nobody can see and the crowd has to actually take his word for it.
Speaker 3: If you want to take a minute to write that down, I would love it to come see you do that, if you let me know when money or shows it.
Speaker 4: Like, you know, a lot of comics do the front row roasting. I'm one of the rare breeds who does back row, back of the room roasting. So put on your hats, folks. Look at this guy over here in the corner.
Speaker 3: I'm kind of next level where I'll be in the lab at the improv and I'm roasting people in the audience in the main room. Yes, yeah, there there's well, I have an I f B. And there's a guy in the hallway that speaks to me. He's dressed like a door guy.
Speaker 2: There's a grib. There's like a guy timing next to this.
Speaker 4: There's like fifteen people in bold FBI guys in a van and like it's surveiled in the main room, and there's an ear piece just giving you info to what the roast. Guy in the bed room.
Speaker 1: He's crying. He's crying.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, he's looking around confused. He he doesn't know why. There's a camera on him.
Speaker 3: Is there a moment that was your worst moment on stage that always stands out or is there just a blur of many little moments.
Speaker 4: No, the big one for me, Like every comic has horror stories, but mine is like Mount Rushmore horror moment. It was I think it was the first couple of months doing stand up. I was seventeen or eighteen, and I did the Paramount Theater and see it was like the Apollo Theater came by every city. Yeah, and like I got on it and then I just got booed by like four thousand people. And that was like my first year of doing stand up. Just it like no human ever experiences that in life, you know, except in their nightmares.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 4: And so it's such a surreal experience to get booed by like four thousand or like forty five hundred people. And then but then I kept doing stand up afterward, Like I'm kind of glad that it happened that early in my career because your bulletproof after that, like the worst thing anyone could ever imagine happened it Like, wasn't that bad? Yeah, Like, oh okay, I really love this and I'm driven to do it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I did a show and uh, I was just in England working an acting job.
Speaker 2: But I'm not bragging. That's why I was. I wasn't there to do comedy. I just did a show that was a straight up press.
Speaker 3: I I it was more to let you know I don't get work in the UK as a stand up comedian and I would like to, but I I called Matt Kershon and he got me a spot a place called the Frog and Bucket and they had a show where there was some three or four booked comics, but in between them all it was like an open mic, and they handed three signs to the audience, a little frog on a stick, and people gradually raise these signs like the opposite of pushing the button on American Idol. And once you see the third frog, you have to get off stage. And I was so worried that they because they're still holding them during my book fifteen minute set.
Speaker 2: But they were so polite about it.
Speaker 3: Even when all three frogs went up, the comic would be like, oh sorry, I'll better next time. Sorry, And every no one got bent out of shape, like if you did that here, people will be.
Speaker 4: Like, fuck you, what do you know, well, that's the whole reason they have the Sandman with the Apollo, because no one would be like, all right, see you later. They need a guy to literally like sweep you off the stage.
Speaker 3: Swear to god, I wasn't going to ask about that, but I didn't know if I conjured it from some in Living Color spoo for something, if does a guy come with a broom or did I.
Speaker 4: That's the whole that's the whole thing.
Speaker 2: That's all okay. I thought for a minute that was from a parody of that.
Speaker 4: I could see that.
Speaker 1: So for him, that happened to you when you did it in Seattle, that happened the Sandman came out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, But I was like the British people because like I know how the Apollo works. I didn't wait to get swept. Like I heard the siren go off and I was like, goodbye, goodbye.
Speaker 2: I love that he's.
Speaker 3: Called the Sandman, the Bringer of Nightmares from Metallica.
Speaker 1: Have you seen the video of Lauren Hill getting booed off the stage at the Apollo?
Speaker 2: Oh god no, yeah.
Speaker 1: She she walks out and starts singing, and it's fucking Lauren Hill. But she was I think she was like sixteen. Yeah, she's pretty young, and it only lasted like fifteen seconds and she got booed off and you like as you're watching it, because she does have a style, you know, her own kind of singing style. But it was it's just the funniest thing. I remember seeing that, having this weird thing snap inside me, where I was just like, oh, it's not like it can happen to anybody. It can happen to the most talented people ever.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, And I think that carries over into other facets of entertainment too. I think this was like a big revelation for me because like, when you are in entertainment, you like it's hard to get into it, and then when you're in it, you feel like it's a final. Every time any opportunity you get, you feel like it's a final. And then you come to realize that it's just the world that you live in and sometimes you do well, sometimes you don't, and the times you don't isn't a reflection on your entire being. It's just maybe you weren't right for that job. Like if you get fired off of a job, or if you excel at this other thing, it's just sort of like it's more about the overall. I don't know your percentage of the overall rather than one particular, Like you can't bat a thousand and that's okay.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, it was good for you to get boot off the stage, Yes, eighteen, that was good.
Speaker 4: I would have been a monster if everyone is like hoisting on their shoulders, I would just like I would have sunglasses during this whole interview, and I'd be like, what else? What else you got?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Just look at my two phones, like, all right, I gotta I gotta get out here.
Speaker 1: Cool?
Speaker 3: Is that it?
Speaker 1: Do you just need anything else? All right?
Speaker 4: Cool?
Speaker 3: I like that sunglasses are the that's a guy that has it all together and doesn't.
Speaker 2: Give a ship.
Speaker 4: I bought these sunglasses during quarantine for a sketch that I ended up not doing. But it was those like flip up sunglasses, so so it's like regular you know, then it's yeah, yeah, exactly. And it's just sometimes I look at myself in the mirror and I have those glasses and it's just amazing how those flip up shades change your entire demeanor. Like if I have them up, I look like a very personal guy. You could talk to me, but then I put them down. You're like, stay away from this guy. What's hisn Where was your I haven't seen you.
Speaker 3: You probably haven't done it for years, but your character that had you weaved in I think professionally or had it made.
Speaker 2: Was it a mullt or just a rat tail mullet?
Speaker 4: No, it was like a mullet. It was like it was two rows. Like I became very aware of women's hair from wearing this. Like I didn't know what a weave was or extensions or how they worked. But yeah, they're like clipping. They're like two rows and it just looks like a legit, straight up mullet. And I would go up at the comedy store on Saturdays, like around midnight and just in a wife beater and like just acid washed jeans, and I would dance for like a minute of top because they'd play this dance music. They'd be like, please welcome Lance against Napolis and then just like dance and then just take questions from the audience and it was all improv and it was just so fun.
Speaker 3: I think during that time I was I was I should hang out there, but at the time I was trying to hang out there more. And I saw you do it a few times, and it was that was the first time I saw you, and so I just thought that's who you were, and so did the whole audience.
Speaker 2: So it's a full commitment.
Speaker 4: Well that's the beauty of it. Like honestly, like seventy percent of the crowd thinks that it's a real guy. Yeah, and and like thirty percent are in on it. And and it's this beautiful because it's great to see faces in the crowd and they're trying to figure out, like is this a joke or is this for real?
Speaker 1: What's Lance's last name?
Speaker 3: Can't stop this, can't stop, can't stop this. It don't matter how hard you try.
Speaker 4: He can't stop that.
Speaker 3: You gotta be careful with that, though, because we all saw what happened to Larry the cable guys.
Speaker 4: I know that if I did that continuously, it would devour for himn or. So I consciously refuse to give the audience what they want every week. You know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it might be folklore or but I don't know. We'll ask him when we have him on Monday, Karen.
Speaker 4: But I heard that I like it being a treat that I want to pull out of the treasure chest instead of trying a slave to Lance Can't Stop It.
Speaker 3: Yes, I heard that people would call uh I forget.
Speaker 4: His name, his real name, but oh Dan Whitney.
Speaker 3: They would say, hey, can you Everyone seemed to like that cable guy character you did for ten minutes because he used to leave and come back like hey, I'm.
Speaker 2: A redneck me uh and uh yeah.
Speaker 3: That that to me was like a fear of mine, like such a weird thing to be scared of as a comic.
Speaker 2: When you're starting like don't don't go too deep.
Speaker 3: Undercover, yeah, or then you end up being a gang.
Speaker 4: It's like an inception, like you can go too deep, you never come back.
Speaker 1: You're like, oh, this wasn't a character after all, I was playing a character when I wasn't Lance Can't Stop Less. I have a question though for the Q and A. Sure, so you dance, then you take questions, so you don't have an act.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, it's just Q and A the whole time. So it's just sort of like answering the questions from the crowd and then like, all right, who else has questions as your Yeah? For fifteen minutes, and it was beautiful because they would watch regular stand up, which is great. You know, people have great X, but you're still operating within the confines of stand up where it's like set up punch jokes. And then Lance is just real, like he's just he's just there dancing, looking at you, talking to you, like getting questions from the audience who are trying to paint him into a corner with their questions, but he weasels out of it, and then he'll start dancing again for no reason, like turn the music on. It's just like fun chaos.
Speaker 2: Do you do that anymore? Because I want to start doing it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I want to see I need to do it like I brought because I didn't do him for like two years, and then I before the pandemic, literally like the week before the Comedy Store closed, I brought him back out and I did a set at the Comedy Store and then the pandemic hit and I haven't done it since. I think I will eventually bring him out. But that set is on YouTube. A couple of Lance sets are on YouTube, so if you search for Lance Canstopolis, you can see kind of a little bit what he does.
Speaker 2: Oh that's so great.
Speaker 1: Did you do any zoom comedy shows in quarantine.
Speaker 4: I was against it for a while, but then part of me was like, let me just see what it is before I kind of swear to never do it. Yeah, so I did one, and I'm like, Okay, I don't love it, but I did it. I'm glad that I did it. But then some opportunities came up through the pandemic where people were putting on zoom comedy shows for like decent money, and I was like, yeah, I'll be on a webcam for fifteen minutes for this amount of money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it almost feels bad. I did a couple of those.
Speaker 3: Two I'm like, oh, you don't have to give me five hundred dollars.
Speaker 2: I was in my bedroom. Yeah, did it.
Speaker 1: Really pay that well? Oh?
Speaker 2: Or two?
Speaker 3: Now, that was just another one of my little humble brags. I like to fit him in there. I was in the UK. You know, it was only five grand. But anyway, just kidding, I didn't. I had a different experience I think than a lot of people where I just I'm like, was in a panic right away, and a weekend of the pandemic, I was just exercising doing pushups. I'm not going to drink and I'm gonna do all these zoom shows. I just did it every night, all these awkward to silence, and then I learned over time that I was becoming an unhappy individual.
Speaker 2: So everyone learns different ever experienced that differently?
Speaker 1: So you decided you didn't like them at the end, like you did them and then you were like, you know what, I'm against them?
Speaker 4: Well I did one or two, and I go, okay, it's okay, but I don't enjoyed enough to keep on doing it for like free. But then they'll throw a number at you and you go, yeah, I don't hate it that much for this money. Yeah, then it was just like a financial thing whenever I'd get presented. But like on an artistic level, I don't love zoom shows.
Speaker 2: Yeah they're rough, Yeah they are. And they started getting better.
Speaker 3: I mean they were just about to figure it out as far as like letting in the designated laughers, and the timing got better, and there were nights where I was like, oh, that felt like stand up again.
Speaker 2: I can't.
Speaker 3: It just made me hungry for doing stand up again. But that's already worn off. I'm already back to square one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, remember that. Do you do any driving shows during the pandemic?
Speaker 2: I loved it. That was the other thing.
Speaker 3: I was so scared about honking cars, and I immediately loved it in some ways more than an audience because there was flashing lights. You could see exactly what areas of the parking lot. I'm just talking about the one at their IRV on improv. And I thought, just because of the way I hate horns, now there might as well be motorcycles revving every time you tell Joe horns are a bad thing. And I immediately was like, oh, now I like horns.
Speaker 4: Someone when you cut someone off, they honk at you. You go, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 2: I'll be here all week.
Speaker 4: I'm here all week.
Speaker 2: I'm at a red light for a whole week.
Speaker 4: Yeah, four or five all week.
Speaker 2: Are you currently then riding on the uh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I say so. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think we go to late March and then we wrapped the season and that's on CBS CBS.
Speaker 4: That is correct.
Speaker 1: Did they buy you lunch?
Speaker 4: WHOA? I love that? You know this? Yeah? That's that's the other cool thing about like the right job is that lunch is provided and the breakroom situation, like all the snacks gum. He didn't think I would have free gum. I thought I'd have to be a baseball.
Speaker 1: Player, gum as far as I can see.
Speaker 4: As far Dente and Ice tried it. What do you want? They got it?
Speaker 1: Oh my, well there.
Speaker 2: I had to buy a meal plan at Fox.
Speaker 4: It's like you're going to elementary school. Yeah, a meal plan like a hot lunch.
Speaker 3: It was my own money, and I'd just buy it ahead of time. You get at somewhat of a discount depending on the popularity of your show.
Speaker 2: If I'm not mistaken, that's right.
Speaker 3: Oh, we're at a You get a ten percent discount with this show. Don't You can't sit by those people. They're on the real Fox. You're just on Fuel TV.
Speaker 4: Oh god.
Speaker 1: I did boss at one writing job, who I adored Owen Eleson. He's hilarious and he was upset with lunch, and so he would start the discussion about what we were going to order at like ten thirty, like he couldn't wait, and we would order all kinds of crazy shit. And there was one day where we were all sitting around eating ramen out of these bigs like styrofoam bowls, and it was just like throwing soup at your face, like it was impossible to not eat sloppy and gross, where it's just like this is insane, like this is this is like every dream I've ever had come true, or like I get to be in a room with really great people. But then there's also this kind of food element of like do we all have to agree together what we want today? It just that part of it. Really, I love the camaraderie of it.
Speaker 3: How about wings with a communal bucket of buffalo sauce.
Speaker 4: Well, it's always nice when someone suggests like a table food item, like all right, you want to do some table caeso and like no one's going to turn that down, or like yeah, all right, you guys do calamari, calamari for the table.
Speaker 1: Fancy some kind of fancy sushi that everyone said, Oh yeah, we gotta do it, we gotta do.
Speaker 4: You feel less bad about the extravagance when you say it's for the table, Uh the dream?
Speaker 2: Yeah, one day again, one day I'll eat communally.
Speaker 1: You will.
Speaker 2: You're gonna get there fingers crossed for him?
Speaker 1: Is there anything else you want to plug? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Away?
Speaker 4: My podcast for he Man were dance hour, that's mine. That's kind of where the space is right here. And then I guess the special that you saw that it was on sisow back in the day, and then Comedy Central got it, so it's on their YouTube. Now. That's great, So that one's called there's no business like show business. I'm starting to put more clips on my just like you know, current stand up clips on my YouTube, which is just YouTube dot com slash himan or and then you know Forhima or for Instagram and Twitter and all that. I think that's about it.
Speaker 2: And we will see.
Speaker 3: I can't promote it enough his self audition for the and then of course is.
Speaker 2: It Dino Can't stopul Us. Now that's someone's real name, that's Lance Can't stopul Us.
Speaker 4: There's a lot. I think there's a lot of I always try to put like stand up clips or sketches and stuff. So that's like a good entry point if you are any bit curious about me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can't wait to see you again. You're you know, you get tired of watching a lot of comics. And when I'm at the store, I'm like, I don't know a lot of these people. It's not my scene. I was always relieved when you were there.
Speaker 4: So uh, that's a nice measure. Funds come by, man, I love you too, like it's always nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I will. I'm gonna, I keep saying I will.
Speaker 3: I just gotta have a private conversation with you about parking and then I'll be there with bells on.
Speaker 4: Karen, you got to come too, come to the comedy store, will.
Speaker 1: Hang out absolutely if you do. Lance can't stop us. Be in the front row, and I will have seven questions.
Speaker 2: I love.
Speaker 1: I love that idea.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll save all these questions that I was I really did hilarious.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so funny.
Speaker 1: How do you think of these bits? I mean he hasn't done any bit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's like, what are bits? I have no idea what that is.
Speaker 2: I'm just gonna ask dance related questions. I can't mean.
Speaker 4: Lance would love nothing more than that.
Speaker 2: Thanks for being on today, buddy, of course.
Speaker 4: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you've been listening to Do You Need a Ride? D yn hey R. This has been an exactly right production.
Speaker 1: Produced by Analise Nelson.
Speaker 5: Engineered by Stephen Ray Morris, mixed by Ryo Bown. Theme song by Karen Kilgareth artwork by Chris Fairbanks. Follow the show on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook at dinar podcast That's d yn Ar Podcast.
Speaker 1: For more information, go to exactly rightmedia dot com.
Speaker 5: Listen, subscribe, leave us a review on Apple Podcasts, Stitch or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 4: Thank you and you're welcome.
Speaker 2: See I Do sounds too,