Speaker 1: The Around the NFL podcast is absolutely certain your team will nail free agency. Where I'm the Chris Westling podcast studio, It's around the NFL. I am Dan Hansis. I have heroes here. I do Greg Rosenthal and Mark Sessler. Free agency is around the Corner Boys, the Greg Rosenthal Top one oh one conversation on this show today live on NFL dot com Monday. And I've been thinking, Mark, I did some real thought about this exciting. So we're doing our competing and I just want to make it clear. This is not about one upsmanship of you, Greg, It's not None of this is personal. This is just business. You know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Competing would indicate it's a little I don't know our element, but the point of a competent to win, not to lose, right.
Speaker 1: But it's business. You ever hear that term. It's business, not personal. It's a bit. This is business. So this is what I'm thinking Mark. Greg has a one on one, He's got one hundred and one blurbs. We wanted to go bigger, and at one point I asked a big funk behind the glass to contact the union and find out how many free agency were. Maybe we'll do them all that seems even for us and what our ambitions are a little bit over the top. So then I was checking out the PFF, which is a widely respected analytics based football website. If you're not a waste, they put out a free agency two hundred okay, So now we have a baseline to work off. Now I would say, should we do a freegency two to oh one? But no, because what I want and tell me if you agree, okay, this is our joint past. I want people to say that, oh wow, Dan and Mark did well over one hundred more than Greg. And then I thought what would what would be well over one hundred and I came down to the number two hundred and thirteen. Okay, So total the free agent two hundred and thirteen okay. And then I was thinking, we got to blurb them all out, because like PFF did one hundred and fifty blurbs, Greg's one will go to one hundred and one. Did you do you do one hundred and one blurbs?
Speaker 2: We deftually do much more because you end up using like one hundred and twenty people.
Speaker 3: It's probably about well.
Speaker 1: What lives on the side is one on one? We Ai that bitch, and then we get so we get all that, and then what we do is we then go in let's say, in the top fifty, and we just little hens this like pop culture interjected in little little zuzzer humor. And then Cess Dog with his sesslerisms and somen of some of.
Speaker 2: His like in the Deep Dark Night Marcus Davenport, you know.
Speaker 3: Right, we and mostly the topics on edge about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he sees this is a good play. I put thought into it. So you put some sesslersm and some turns of phrase in there in the top fifty because most people stop reading after that. Then last step, and this is the most important. Do we preempt Greg? We get out before Monday? Yeah? No. Do we put it out right after Greg? No? We do the Mayock move? Remember Mayok. Everyone was like, oh, Mack seventy four, he did one mock draft. It was like the day before the draft, we put out one. We drop it a couple days before free agency, the illegal tampering period, and that's becomes what everyone's truly waiting for. What do you think?
Speaker 4: I think, first of all, I appreciate the fact that I had not even thought about this list in the interim between our last show. But you have put a lot of thought into it, quite I have. I can tell you off from proof. I've been AI in articles since roughly twenty twenty one, and it's got the technology has gotten better, So I think it won't be hard for us to player in some of our own little spice and jazz and no one will know.
Speaker 1: Except for mostly in the top fifty.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Then yeah, you get down on the little on and regreg gets to the one sentence blurbs when you get real low.
Speaker 2: Oh sure. And then one of the things I like about this plane because you guys are so passionate about it, and so you you would obviously know this that with all the cuts yes, and all the last minute signings, that list is changing more than ever right up until always moved. And so that last four or five days of you like you can make your list now, but you're going to be working feverishly keeping up with all the transactions and signings and and things added to the lists and changing around and really meeting together quite a bit in those final forty eight hours. I actually am kind of glad I'm getting mine done out of the way now, because that I suit you that that would only, you know, require someone who really loves the game.
Speaker 1: Because I'm in deep right now you're trying to get shake Cessler out of the project. That could tell it's a convincing effort by But I don't think he understands the powers of AI and how much we'll lean into that to be tracking.
Speaker 3: All this right on our behalf we've got.
Speaker 1: You know you didn't think about that, Greg.
Speaker 2: It's like, oh, sky, should I put him ahead of Tierre Tart or not? Like that's waky? You know someone's calling you at eleven pm from the news desk, or actually, do you have a method to actually produce this anywhere?
Speaker 1: Or do you think we doth protest too much?
Speaker 4: I do think there could be some fair questions about like tangibly getting approval to have this on our website.
Speaker 3: You just that we've been right.
Speaker 1: A slip website for fifty lease, Like come on you you slip. I'll leave them purry at twenty dollars.
Speaker 3: Bill will do anything it on at all.
Speaker 2: They would take some extra content and could be like mock draft Central competing.
Speaker 1: In fact, my biggest concern really is that if we turn this in they're going to ask us to be writing again, which that's that's a concern as well. So these are all things to think about here in the off season, and a project that could really make or break our careers.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think we've got to We've got a tread carefully.
Speaker 2: What a show.
Speaker 1: It was great, great have and everybody here. This is the Thursday edition of Around the NFL Behind the Glass today, by the way, sitting in for the great Eric Roberts, who is with his lovely wife and they're they're doing they're on that wonderful journey towards their first child landing on Earth, and they have an appointment of some kind. What do they call it? Sonogram? Yeah, Sonogram, Big Funk behind the Glass, the big Funk and a big chair, Big funk, big chair. He ain't scared. What's up about?
Speaker 5: What's happening?
Speaker 1: Guys? We could have went for another hour, but dang damn that's hard.
Speaker 2: Big funk at the best intro music Mark are no way in for our intro music.
Speaker 1: Brandy Chavez, what's happening, Big fonk, Big Funk?
Speaker 2: Our our our podcast was now just a hangout podcast. Were just like, Hey, what's going on?
Speaker 5: How are you, buddy? I'm doing good. How about you guys? This is interesting, This feels uh feels different.
Speaker 1: It's new.
Speaker 4: You're feel like control, a rush of power. Keep it to be sitting in that seat.
Speaker 1: Yeah. How does it feel to be uh potentially have a power play opportunity of your own with Eric out out of the studio.
Speaker 5: I mean it's it's tempting to abuse it, right. Power corrupts all, doesn't it. But I think I should be okay.
Speaker 1: And I believe you have and this is a great speaking of power place. I think you have something for a member of the show that you wanted.
Speaker 5: To I do, yes, okay, I see Cynthia, you want to bring it's on the chair, especially.
Speaker 3: The great Cynthia who does incredible work on our show.
Speaker 5: Sesska, what is this?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: Thank you Cynthia?
Speaker 4: And well, I mean this is this is actually quite weak changing because I got my unh soiled super Bowl program, which you remember was on my desk.
Speaker 3: It was soiled, and uh, this is the ticket and keep.
Speaker 1: Show the audience on YouTube. There's nothing in it, uh hold out, got to take the film up, but we could do that.
Speaker 3: We'll do I want to keep it.
Speaker 1: How about that. What a move by Randy.
Speaker 3: That's great, Thank you very much.
Speaker 1: I don't know, how do you feel?
Speaker 3: I feel like that?
Speaker 4: First of all, I think I learned the lesson is like, complain about more things and then results start to happen.
Speaker 1: It's true, there's.
Speaker 4: That, But I have to say one thing about our company, and right now, you know, we're in this building where you know, half the place is leaking, You've got all the outdoor shrubbery on the Yeah, it's it's got issues. But I had multiple people inside the building who listened to the show who reached out and said, you can have my ticket, I don't want it, which is like, you know, I think that was the that's a positive thing about our company, about this corporation.
Speaker 1: It shows that there's still a human element to the operation. Right. I feel that. So Randy sitting in, thank you Randy for holding it down today. Like we said, yes, the Free Agency two thirteen is coming, but the one of record right now it is the Greg Rosenthal Free Agency one oh one, and we're going to get to that and and dig into it. But before we do that, let's hit the news away.
Speaker 5: You snap justin fields off the left side, free play for Justin worked it down the left side.
Speaker 2: He's got DJ board at the time.
Speaker 3: We'ping into the end zone for the touchdown.
Speaker 1: Touchdown pairs in their backet front. So many big moments for Justin Fields this past season. Not maybe has not lived up to the highest of you know, expectations, but he certainly has flashed multiple times in Chicago and now with the Bears in a major crossroads moment. We talked about it with Connie Fox on the Monday Show. The Bears have to make a decision what they're gonna do. We talked about in the news that Justin Fields had unfollowed the Bears on social media, which of course is becomes a story in today's football culture. He was a guest on the Everybody's Got a Podcast?
Speaker 3: I already noticed this. I do not never being that does not have a podcast every player.
Speaker 1: This is the newer thing now. Podcasts are hugely popular now obviously and media folk like ourselves that makes sense, But now it seems as if almost every player in the league has a podcast, as does a mon Ross Saint Brown on the Saint Brown Bros. Podcast posted on Wednesday. Here is Justin Fields when asked about his move to unfollow the Bears on social media. Oooh, why do.
Speaker 6: People take social media so seriously?
Speaker 1: But like.
Speaker 6: This and that, like I still mess with the Bears and that, I'm just trying to take a little break, un follow with the Bears and the NFL. Bro I'm not trying to have football on my timeline.
Speaker 1: Like, I don't believe that at all, And here I do.
Speaker 2: He said he was going on vacation and he's just sick of seeing all the like Fields reporting and stuff.
Speaker 1: And then but he unfollowed the Bears. The Bears don't have that reporting.
Speaker 2: Sure, they're putting out stuff of like college stuff of like what should we do with the draft? You know, stuff like that. I don't think it's yeah, but like, but.
Speaker 1: If you unfollow your team during this time, it's going to lead to many more distractions that yes to deal with.
Speaker 4: I would say that there's a tonal difference in like when Kyler Murray created all that drama a couple of years ago and kind of started this trend.
Speaker 1: He said, yeah, he's tired of hear he's the godfather, And uh, does Justin Fields want to stay in Chicago? Do you want to stay in Chicago or what's up.
Speaker 6: Yeah, of course, of course I want to stay, to be honest, but I'll be trying to, like, you know, with all the talk, it's hard to you know, I guess kind of just boom being one place, but I can't see myself playing in another place. But I know how that league is, like you was probably the same way before you have Green Bay. But I mean, if it was up to me, I would want to stay in Chicago. I love the city, the city's lit, the fans they're you know, they're great, and the people. But it's a business. Sign got no control over it. So whatever happens happens. But I feel like the biggest thing with all this going on right now, I just wanted.
Speaker 1: To be over. So I get that that I get yeah, and that I believe that it's it's it's weighing on him and uh, and we'll see, we'll find out soon enough what happens.
Speaker 4: I think he's like, uh, because you know, you get it later on in your career as a quarterback and you can pack in like no trade clause or need to agree to a trade. You know, if something's gonna happen, if there's quarterback movement more than than ever before in the.
Speaker 3: History of the league. But he is powerless, Like.
Speaker 4: If they move him, he doesn't have any choice over that, and like a team that probably has a lot of issues is going to want to trade for him. And it's like you're a couple of years into a career where like there's zero patients at quarterback and suddenly justin Fields, like a first round pick is getting moved and who knows where he winds up in his life has changed entirely.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's he's our eye seasons just starting, you know. But he's been in it for what six weeks now, and he has seen countless tweets and posts on Instagram and everything like wondering if he's gonna be there, and he probably knows the score that it's less likely and it must be a powerless, annoying position. He could just use the mute button.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: I feel like that.
Speaker 2: I mean Instagram, when you mute people sometimes it still kind of shows up anyways.
Speaker 1: So Instagram is like happy birthdays and thank you and appointments of coaches. It's not it's not like what will we do about justin Fields. We love the college kids, but you know by the way, and that's why free agency is so important and how amazing it is to think that until like the early nineties, I think they didn't even have free agency for the players in any real way, so it could it's going to be and I think I think the real stories, he knows what's happening, just like we all kind of know what direction this seems to be heading. That he will be traded and then that team will control his rights and could pick up his fifty year option and then maybe franchise tag him. He's a couple of years away, potentially from having any real power over where he wants to play, and that's part of the reason why it's a bummer for him that the Bears thing didn't quite.
Speaker 4: Take one little note on their side that looks like an entertaining podcast and there obviously they can get good guests, that's that's nice, But on little microphone tip like I could hear an airplane in the background, so I just you know, these are little lots that you know with time and.
Speaker 2: Expects a loss. But when the producers and you know, equanimious in a monro, they must have been pretty excited when they were like, oh, we got fields on like the day that he followed, because I'm sure it was planning ahead of time. Now, just like a big beautiful ties, we're getting some pop on the Around the NFL podcast.
Speaker 1: It's big times beautiful timing. In other news, I love this story. Uh, And listeners of this pod, you know that Nick Sirianni's been on my radar for a long time. And before the Eagles went up in flames last year after their ten and one start, they just lost out out essentially and then got embarrassed in the playoffs. And it all kind of started with Big Dom, the Curse of Big Dom, who is the security officer on the sideline, the chief security officer who was banned from the sidelines for the regular season the balance of the regular season after a December third incident in a blowout loss of the Niners in which he had made contact or got into a sideline quarrel with Drake Greenlaw of San Francisco. And this is wonderful. I just love this. Derek Gunn, who is a Philadelphia radio host, been there for a long time. I'm just gonna read the whole tweet. It's gotten a little other juice in it. Too, and it gives you an idea of a lot. According to sources, Jalen, I love this, by the way, radio guy tweet this.
Speaker 2: One got ignored, I think because people were confused.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a little weird. According to the stars is Jalen, big Contract pulled in numerous directions on slash off field, put him under a lot of pressure. He didn't handle well. Ellipses, big Dom suspended Dash controls Sirianni's emotion on sideline. In his absence, Nick gets in numerous arguments with players slash coaches during games. So that's the headline that Syrian, as soon as big Dom was banned from the sideline, could not could no longer control himself and was just fighting with everyone. And that perhaps I guess this is inferring led in part to the meltdown of the entire operation.
Speaker 4: It's like the most unbelievable NFL offseason story I can think of it in a long time.
Speaker 3: But if that's true.
Speaker 1: That that's true, they kept the head coach.
Speaker 3: It's wild.
Speaker 4: I mean, we kind of flashpoint Flashpoint focused this a little bit because we know, you know, there was the trend that the team went one to five down the stretch without Dom, but it's wild.
Speaker 2: Wait for that bonus as the associate producer for presenting that guest that week.
Speaker 3: Understand incoming.
Speaker 1: We'll have a sit down. Yeah, we'll just stop. We'll break brad market eye.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that celebrating said that was a big moment for for me and and I haven't really seen anything.
Speaker 1: We'll get there. We're gonna break red after the top two thirteen blows up went over big cigars and a glass of brandy on a brown suede couch, leather couch.
Speaker 4: We'll touch on that, okay, Yeah, yeah, no, not at all. But I just I this to me is just it kind of confirms everything Dan you were saying about Sirianni where I don't think that felt it felt like a you thing.
Speaker 3: And now it's clearly a real Eagles thing.
Speaker 1: It's good to get a dub every once in a while. Yeah, when he was shouting at the I think it was the Kansas City fans after they kind of lucked into that primetime win. That was a tipping point for mely Yeah.
Speaker 2: And pretty much fall apart.
Speaker 1: I what was that? Greg?
Speaker 2: I love that for the Eagles, you do. I don't love this for the Eagles. He feels very diminished in terms of his leadership. Like the owner and Howie I think came in and made some decisions about the coordinators. You know that that they wanted him to have possibly and the players are smart enough to know that. And then this report comes out and just in general, I think it puts you in a tough spots as a leader going into the season that like this information is out there and it makes you think about how A j. Brown reacted and really how all the players reacted, Like there is there has been no smoking gun, like no great answer for what happened there. It just it's one of the most mystifying, like meltdowns of any team.
Speaker 4: I can run shot up the hot butts rankings in unprecedented fashions right Super Bowl they were.
Speaker 2: The one seed and they went from the not only the one seed, but like the best record in the NFL by two games at that point to being a little surprised he even kept the job. What did you think, Dana, the Jalen part of it?
Speaker 1: I well, you know, I've I've been wondering about Jalen too, And because there was obviously a leadership boyd there when the team went down in flames, and that it kind of begins with the quarterback, and I thought that quarterback and head coach. I mean, that's how locker rooms are won and lost in a lot of ways. So I don't we don't know, really, and maybe more will come out, but I think it's pretty clear that Sirianni is his He's in a vulnerable place and maybe he doesn't have a real handle on the team anymore. And I think we'll learn more about Jalen Hurts this year. This is such a huge season for the whole operation. Obviously, I'm checking out the rest of Derek Gun's tweets, by the way, because kind of blown away by the structure of that tweet. That's not typically how he tweets, and he's usually a little shorter bursts, so maybe that's when he starts more of a detail oriented But that's a tough one in the sense that that that's the one that probably has gotten more noticed than anything he's ever sent out. You want to put together a fully formed paragraph in that he is.
Speaker 2: One of those local reporters and I know he's respected there in Philadelphia. We were He'll just have like one or two bomb drops per year.
Speaker 1: That's a good one.
Speaker 2: Stuff like that. You like to be you like to be that guy, but you don't want to leave the comma a space away from from this.
Speaker 3: You know the word.
Speaker 1: And if you're going to do an ellipses, it is with the third the third period. If you're going to do an ellipses, don't hit us with two. But Greg, you also on you know, and I don't roam exit job, mister. I'll have lots of type of you.
Speaker 4: Well you you seem intentionally you would go intentionally to kind of zig on capitalization non capitalization on your tweets.
Speaker 1: That's that's stylized.
Speaker 4: I'm not saying it's a mistake written always yeah, but that's intentional, Yeah, very intentional.
Speaker 2: Lack of punctulation, lack of capitalization. It happens. I want to move into what you know, Derek gun but you know is a nice look at some seasoned chicken on the grill. So I want to get into those kind of tweets.
Speaker 1: That's that's good. Yeah, sometimes too, and it's not just Greg, I've done this as well. Sometimes you don't capitalize and you don't punctuate, and it's almost kind of like it's a way of expressing your take in almost a matter of fact tone, or almost a little bit of like a sarcastic tone.
Speaker 3: I mean, I get how it works, like I don't thank you, but.
Speaker 1: I'm saying that's great. I don't think that Greg's but too.
Speaker 4: It's a choice, and he's he's you know, I don't think I know that Greg, as the editor of the Around the NFL section of the website, understands basic and also complex grammatic Twitter.
Speaker 2: The rules are different on Twitter. You know, it's a it's a lighter medium, it's not worthy of punctures.
Speaker 3: Think it helps you appear youthful, and you know.
Speaker 1: It's a bad pocket. We're bad at this. Now, let's move on, let's get into Oh all right, you know what I'm going to get out of the way. Yeah, right. I feel like we're this year is the good news. I feel like we're running out of these where I have to throw it to Greg because it's a patriot retiring, because how many more can there be? Because now we're at special Special Team's ace Matthew Slater and uh, if we're at the Special Teams as we have to be near the end.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, Tantaia High Tower was just hired as part of this staff. So like, we'll we'll now get to live through these guys as coaches, which I'm tough, I don't.
Speaker 1: Well, we don't have to live. Yeah, that's a personal look.
Speaker 2: If Bill Belichick says that he's the greatest core special teams player.
Speaker 1: And music under this, go ahead, and I don't need it to be long.
Speaker 3: I'm just saying, let's give.
Speaker 1: Us a little inspiration out there. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Uh, Matthew Slater is the best special teams core player in the history of the league, according to Bill Belichick, a pretty great expert on special.
Speaker 3: I thought he was an expert on football until nobody hired him.
Speaker 2: Ten, ten time Pro Bowl, Pro Bowler, two time First Team All Pro. I don't think that makes you Hall of Famer personally, but a Ring of Honor guy for the Patriots, and just uh, you know, a unique career, the son of an all time great, Jackie Slater.
Speaker 1: The one thing about.
Speaker 2: Just give some just give some love to a special team's ace.
Speaker 4: And it was a fifth round pick who really was in danger of not making the team right out of the gate and made this choice to make special teams his thing I always found a weird because I'll never forget go into the rams, like intro in Los Angeles, where it was like they brought all the La Press in into you know who blown all that business. But like Jackie Slater, like a Hall of Famer was there. And Jackie Slater is six foot four, two hundred and seventy seven pounds, and Matt Slater is six feet tall two hundred and five pounds. Do you don't typically see a son that isn't like?
Speaker 3: Why didn't you?
Speaker 4: I would have thought odds On would say, you produce another like starter tackle.
Speaker 1: She's three ft six is rio perp?
Speaker 4: Well I was Actually that was where my mind went, the mom or someone must be very small in the equation and.
Speaker 1: There are generations to get skipped a certain thing. Yes, and we don't know the whole story. I mean you know, I mean, now now that I got the Twitter that here's to the genetics. Okay, it's it's a science, but an uneven science in a way. You care for me. You've made it.
Speaker 3: No, you've made it so crystal clear for me.
Speaker 2: I mean you're making it sound like six foot two five is some like mini guy. It's not but he'd be like, oh, that's it.
Speaker 4: It's how often are you four inches shorter and seventy pounds later than your than your dad. That was also Jackie Slater's playing weight. Yeah, he's trimmed down a little, but he's not a he's not dominuative.
Speaker 1: Jackie Slater's tell me only fifty percent of the DNA of Matthew Slater comes from Jackie.
Speaker 3: I did not know that. That's that's what we need.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's uh, that's what's happening in the news before. Actually, let's take a break and then I want to cover one bit of behind the scenes. Uh, you a massive conversation that needs to be had, and then we're gonna get to the one on one. Let's take a break. Welcome back. So you may I remember about a week or so we can have or so before the super Bowl we had our annual don't say super Bowl episode or you cannot utter the words, and if you do, there's a monetary penalty. And all three of us incurred fines also, And this maybe seems a little unfair. Eric I announced after the fact, anything that he missed in terms of the buzzer, he would have to pick up the fine. So he's into this now the pot and then we were like, all right, what are we gonna do with the money, and got an idea, So Big Funk, let's bring back Big Funk behind the glass. What's up?
Speaker 2: He didn't really go anywhere where?
Speaker 5: Where's this gone?
Speaker 1: All right? What's up, Funk?
Speaker 5: What's happening?
Speaker 1: Big Funk has had a distinguished for a young man, a distinguished career in broadcasting. Part of his journey was at a radio station. And I don't know, I can't speak to any of the the talent working there, either good or bad. And so this isn't a hit piece your former employer. I don't know. If you want to name them, that's up to you. I mean, do you think you know where I'm going?
Speaker 5: By the way, I have a hunch.
Speaker 1: But anyway, it was like a z Morning Zoo type thing, and there was a there was a radio bit where the die hard Packers fan Randy Chavez was offered a sum of money. How much Funk one thousand bucks? One g whoa ten rocks if he got a tattoo of a rival of the Packers on his body? Yeah, the catch of course being it must be done live on air, and I think we do we have any footage from this incident, any rival.
Speaker 5: Well I'll explain in a second here.
Speaker 1: All right, and now we're watching it on this radio. When was this? How long ago is this? Oh?
Speaker 5: Man, this is like three four years ago. Fun fact, the guy tattooing, he's onic masters.
Speaker 1: Oh, very good, so at least it was something professional. So there's funk. And check it out on the YouTube channel. It looks painful, honest, thigh and it looks like a Chicago Bears.
Speaker 2: Wow. If you can subscribe to our Patreon, you can see an exclusive.
Speaker 3: Version of this, which is what I'm crazy, So it really is.
Speaker 5: I haven't seen this video in years.
Speaker 1: This is so we might have to blur it. It's it's it's that salacious and sexy but funk. So yes, here's what the plan is. Because I don't like that I can take it. I don't want I personally to put a young radio producer in that position like, hey, for the bid on the show, tattoo yourself and we'll give you some money. Like when I was however old you were there, twenty three years old or whatever, I would have taken the thousand two because I had to pay rent. So I have an issue. Now here's the question, Yeah, are you okay with that tattoo in the modern times or does it annoy you a little bit that it's still on your leg.
Speaker 5: I'm not gonna lie it does It does annoy me a little bit more so because every time I go anywhere at all, usually someone I roll with. Whenever there's like a lull, like a little bit of silence, it's always like, you know, Randy has a Bears tattoo.
Speaker 1: Okay, So that's exactly where we step in on this podcast. With the money that we've raised from don't say super Bowl, and perhaps with the help of the listeners, I propose we eliminate that tattoo for Mandy's like, either through laser removal or or go the Johnny deppro out the Wino Forever oute, where we could modify it and turn it into something else. I know it was fairly intricate. How do you feel about How do you feel about that as a possibility.
Speaker 5: I mean, I'm not opposed to it, right, I don't get me wrong the tattoo. The tattoo is a funny reminder. I guess depends how you conserve funny of what I use, like where it was before years ago. I have no problem covering it up.
Speaker 1: But that's it's near. It's merely an option of course, of course. Yeah, So if if Randy is if that's something he would want, like if that's ever something that crossed your mind, like if I could do it over again and get rid of it, or if I could, you know, cover it up somehow. We be around the NFL podcast and our our listeners are here to help.
Speaker 2: Well, after viewing the tattoo, I I don't think we can cover it up like we were like, oh, can we change it into the packers?
Speaker 1: Look, it's like no, they can do amazing things. Though I know that I don't have tattoos myself, but they can do amazing tattoo.
Speaker 2: It's the it's the face. It's got to be too tough. I think it either needs to be.
Speaker 1: It's a very greg thing to just assume that that can't because I feel like if we got someone on the phone he's like, oh yeah, we could definitely do something.
Speaker 4: Well, the guy that it probably knows he sounds like his career, but I don't know if we can get him. But you could also catch like f you Chicago bars.
Speaker 5: So my backup plan, my backup plan was like I would just write sucks underneath it sometime. I mean, I've I've added more pieces to my leg since. But I mean, you know, I'm I'm not a I have nothing. I love tattoos, so I have no problem adding more stuff to my leg. It's it's just, you know, it tells a story to me. It's memories I have. I don't have the best memory, but looking at tattoos, it reminds me of where I was, and it takes me back to a place.
Speaker 3: So you seem somewhat attached to it.
Speaker 5: Actually, no, it's just it's not I don't like the Bears. I'm a Packers fan, so and.
Speaker 1: We're certainly not gonna do what those shock jocks did once upon a time and put pressure on you. It's merely an option if if you want to go down that road.
Speaker 5: I wouldn't mind seeing some mockups from each of you guys.
Speaker 2: So you so you would prefer instead of the removal, some sort of adjustment.
Speaker 5: Potentially, I'm I'm I'm not opposed to anything, really honestly.
Speaker 2: Because that's then like a two part process.
Speaker 1: Okay, right, okay, and add on okay, And now I think whether it's our listeners on social media, whether it's the subreddit or wherever, if if we can get some you know, if it's if Randy does give us the go ahead to do some crowdsource fundraising, because I don't know the cost. It could be potentially pricey, but we're we're gonna use the power of this platform, uh, to to make Randy Chavez is right leg pure Again.
Speaker 5: I appreciate the offer. That's very nice of you, guys. I've never had someone extend such a generous offer such as that to myself.
Speaker 4: So I think Dan for you the street, your streak of charitable uh you know behavior, We've We've got a couple of mementos over in the corner of the studio, but it just adds to that legacy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, your idea, So you are any He sent me an autograph Domo Dave Oswana. He sent me that ball for the helping those underprivileged kids find a home.
Speaker 2: It was like the business and is not. It was like the future business Leaders of America or whatever.
Speaker 1: All that work I did with the orphans down and Clemson. Now I now I can add this is Yeah, you're right. I didn't look at it that way, but it's starting to turn it.
Speaker 4: Well, yourself wouldn't You wouldn't see it that way, but others can help.
Speaker 2: It's you, all right, It's got to be up to Randy, though, I think we could afford it. I'm looking at the prayer. I think we could.
Speaker 1: Okay, good, uh funk uh Yeah, Let's give you one week and we'll circle back. We'll let you kind of really ruminate and think on it, because I understand that is part of the the ink journey for people that it did takes you. That's a place in time, that's where you were. Then we're not here to change rewrite history.
Speaker 5: I will say, though you three happened to be some of the most creative guys I know.
Speaker 1: Thank you. Keep going.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's Eric. So if you guys, if you guys want to come with some fun ideas, I'm also a proud too. I would I would genuinely would like to. I would like to see what you guys.
Speaker 4: Can you get us just a photo of it so that I can I will work on some mock ups potentially, What about.
Speaker 1: That old you don't see it as much anymore. But remember the cars that had let's say a Dallas Cowboys logo, and then it would be Calvin and Hobbes urinating on the logo. I remember those that would be a little bit of a throwback.
Speaker 5: For instance, I do love Calvin and Hobbes, big Bill Waterson fan. But I but getting getting Calvin Peene on my leg might be because you'd have to be giant. The logo is big enough where the covin would have to take up most of my leg and that would probably be a bit of hard sell. Yeah, all right, Well that's just one idea. But see that creative idea. Men here thinking outside the box. Appreciate you guys always.
Speaker 1: You got it funk all right. I feel like I feel like that was progress and a potentially a great situation for us.
Speaker 4: Well, you're giving him the choice, which I like. He's one week, right, you have one week?
Speaker 1: Have one week? All right? Here we go, moving on free agency one on one. How many years have you been doing this on a whether it's NFL media or your old job at a NBC to World, How long have you been doing a free agency list R?
Speaker 2: I don't know, fifteen years or so.
Speaker 1: And do you find yourself because I certainly was, and when I was in the power rankings game, I was very competitive about it. I wanted to have the best power rankings. Do you have certain people and you don't have to name them that you kind of use as a measuring stick and you want to reach that bar or exceed it.
Speaker 2: I don't like to look at the other lists, even mine's out.
Speaker 3: Okayeh, once you've done yours.
Speaker 2: So I think the PFF you mentioned they do a lot of work out there, because I've seen them tennis and tweets. They shake it up different ways. They got they got a lot of production behind it that looks.
Speaker 1: Great, and they like, by the way, which is a comp free agency comp for that player in past years.
Speaker 2: I don't like to look at it till mine's out, because then you just end up like it's like mock drafters end up just like making a combination of all the other mock drafts.
Speaker 1: I never I never did the same thing of powering has never looked. Will anybody?
Speaker 2: I will A lot of they all do great great Chrisco does one and you enjoy doing it.
Speaker 1: I do. Yeah. It kind of really does start the off season in a lot of ways, because the this off season journey begins with free agency, uh well kind of begins with the coach and staff hiring cycles into free agency, and then of course the draft and all of a sudden, teams are pretty much fully for that.
Speaker 2: We've ever let it go exclusively on the podcast for the first time. Oh you know, nice little pop.
Speaker 1: Hmm, that's that's fan fanfare horn once more, because I did not know that hit it? Do you hear that? Atn exclusive? Greg rosenbal free agency one on one. So let's get into it, Greg and we can and Mark you and I will kind of prod around the list ourselves, and Greg's gonna throw out some things that he took away from putting it together.
Speaker 3: We do look at other lists before we do our list.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, I studied the list, of course, because we have our big free agency two thirteen coming up and that takes a lot of research about the genre. But the top ten just so people know and then we can go anywhere we want, Okay, number one, Chris Jones, number two, Kirk Cousins, number three, T Higgins, number four, Josh Allen, that's Josh Allen of the Jags, the pass rusher number five, Christian Wilkins number six, Brian Burns number seven, the Jerius Snead number eight, justin Meta Buke right week. Yeah, at number nine, Antoine Winfield and number ten daneil Hunter. I have to say my big picture and right on the outside of the top ten Mike Evans, one of the great most consistent wide receivers of this era or any other era, potentially about to reach free agency. I love this list this year, and I know it's going to be pillaged greg Ee by franchise tags. That window just opened, and then you know, anything else that goes down. But the list itself, I feel like if you're a team that needs to make upgrades, almost every major position has some studs.
Speaker 2: I think it's a strong list. It's a big drop off maybe after the top thirteen or fourteen. You know, you mentioned Evans, Jalen Johnson's a really good one with the Bears, Michael Pittman, and then there's kind of a drop off, and most of those players probably are getting tagged like eight, I would guess if I had to put an over under out of those fourteen players. But I'm with you. I think it's a good list, and I think there's another drop off around forty, so it feels like you could do a you know, it's a good thing you're doing two thirteen because it does feel deeper. I don't know what it is with the trend of the NFL does more players on short term contracts, is what I suspect that there's like one hundred and forty good players, like guys that can actually help your team. So I think it's a deeper list and it's pretty high quality. You're right throughout and for the first time in a long time, you know one and two Chris Jones and Kirk Cousins. They could actually change teams. You don't see that too often.
Speaker 3: It's uh.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think there are years when you kind of take a larger look at the class of free agents and it's like, all right, we're gonna hype this up and we're gonna talk about it a lot, but you're kind of struggling to find real juice. But this list is dotted with intriguing especially on offense. I think intriguing wide receivers, running backs, for a couple quarterbacks out there, and right away it's like, I look in the top ten. I look at the Chiefs and the Vikings is having a lot of tough decisions to make try to navigate this.
Speaker 3: They've got right or of the top ten.
Speaker 2: So Cousins and Hunter both have elements in their contract that say they can't be tagged, which is amazing for them. I mean, Hunter is gonna and the Vikings can't afford both. And maybe that informs whether how you know how aggressive they are and trying to keep Kirk Cousins if they want to keep Hunter or neither, who really knows. And then the Jones sneid example with a Super Bowl champion, I can't think of anything like it. Because Chris Jones got such a big contract last year, he doesn't have the tag number, which would be I think under twenty million dollars. Instead his tag numbers thirty two. And that really raises an interesting question with this Chiefs team that can you sign both of these guys? Can you sign Jones long term and tag sneed or vice versa With all the money they're already paying to Mahomes and in the rest of the contract that they they're looking at maybe adding to wide receiver, I don't think you can and when I think logically about it, I actually think it's more logical that they tag Sneid kick that canned down on the road, and that Chris Jones might leave and they just might realize, like you have to make tough decisions. We've gotten the very best out of this guy. He's getting a little older, and we can't tag him for thirty two and it's going to be so hard to get him signed before free agency starts, that actually the move is to tag Sneed and that Chris Jones gets out there and just makes an absolute killing something. I kind of think that's what's going to happen.
Speaker 1: And I know what you were saying Mark on the last show, because I agree with you. You sometimes this free agency when a big fish does shake free and they sign with a bad team looking to make a big splash. And I mentioned how PFF has these comparison players in recent years, and the comparison player is exactly what you're talking about. And Dominican Sue, who obviously the Lions were in a powerhouse when he was there, but he was the face of that franchise. He signs a massive deal with a kind of under the radar struggling Dolphins operation at that point, and he kind of like just disappeared in a lot of ways. He was still a big time player. He was fine, but he was It wasn't like as if he would have went to a big time team or if the Lions figured out around him. The interesting thing about the Chiefs not to get off course here, but.
Speaker 2: No, I think they're are there to be the most interesting conversation.
Speaker 1: If they do say go therout. You're talking about keep the cornerback and Snead is so valuable in the Spags defense. Chris Jones obviously the most valuable, but cornerbacks and cornerbacks who could cover as a huge deal for that day. What's great about that being the Chiefs is even if they just won a Super Bowl with a great defense and Patrick Mahomes as a game general and they found their way back to the Lombardy, there is a fun way where they save that money and let Jones walk, Like you're saying, try to find someone that can fill at the void and then attack the offense and build another super offense around the greatest quarterback alive. They have like some different angles. They can go here and the team can end up being a lot different in structure than the one that just won the Super Bowl. Be interesting to see there is like that.
Speaker 3: Again.
Speaker 4: We mentioned like on the last show that Chris Joones sounds like he wants to stay in Kansas City now money and a monster deal from some.
Speaker 1: Everyone that like justin Bil just said that, and he probably wants to that.
Speaker 4: This situation is a little more special than like certain other players sticking you know, sticking with that Ham and Eggert type team where they've been for a while. Like you can win more Super Bowls, you can get paid really well in some form of fashion. But they're in a tricky so to my point, so if you have if you do attack offense instead. The Chiefs have a list like running backs for instance, great example. I know they like their running backs, but Saquon, Henry Jacobs, Eckler, wide receivers, which they certainly need, Higgins, Evans, Pittman, Ridley. These are all options out there potentially right now anyway.
Speaker 1: But some of these guys will be gone, but some will be out.
Speaker 2: Evans would be a fascinating one, and people have connected, so you too.
Speaker 1: If they have some money to spend, like getting that second receiver, first receiver would would be a game changer for them.
Speaker 2: They can create a lot of cap space they're already well under. They could cut mvs, they can move the money around in Mahomes' contract, they have some people they can cut and so they they could make it all work. And there's a very recent example of them letting Charvarius Ward leave for a big contract to San Francisco and that worked. And they might feel that, like cornerback is a position that they can develop and Spags is so good at doing that that they'll let Sneed go. And I could be totally wrong, and that they'll view Jones is the irreplaceable one because he is more irreplaceable. That's why his number is so much higher. Their defensive line is quite thin if they didn't have Chris Jones. But it's a very it's a compelling conversation. It's just that Sneed's so much younger that I do wonder if they think about timeline.
Speaker 1: But to be clear, they can't do both. They can't keep Snead. They have a massive contract to Jones and make big splash and free agency on the offense.
Speaker 3: Well, that's what I mean.
Speaker 1: They have to make a decision, and I can't imagine they went through this whole season, even after winning the Super Bowl, not thinking, man, we got to make some type of moves on offense.
Speaker 2: I agree with that. I think they'll be aggressive getting a wide receiver and keep one of these two guys, but not both. And in Steed with someone I passed this list around in early forms, and Steed was someone I just think if he gets free, the league loves him. You know, He's just there's no cornerbacks on this list. Jalen Johnson, I'm almost certain is gonna get tagged this Like at some positions, there's just not any players. The two positions are cornerback and tackle. So if Sneed did somehow shake free, he'd make an up scene amount of money, and I think they'd want.
Speaker 4: To just well, that's where I like free agency to me, feels like a bit of fools gold if you're the team that goes and gets some of these players, because part of Sneed's like success and journey is how he's used by SPACs, how he fits in that defense. I mean, not that it wouldn't translate somewhere else, but I think if you suddenly are the Chiefs minus, Like Chris Jones, it becomes a gaping void where everyone visually can realize how special he's been on that defense.
Speaker 2: He's just in such a good spot. He's kind of like Kirk Cousins when he left Washington that it's just so rare to actually have all this leverage where maybe they can tag him. Maybe they just feel like, we'll let Steed go, We'll make some moves, we'll put the thirty two million dollars on them somehow, and then we'll get a long term deal worked out that lowers that number at some point. But that number is so big because he knows now if he could somehow get the free agency, he's going to make more than Aaron Donald. Like he's gonna make the most any defensive player has ever made.
Speaker 1: There.
Speaker 2: The salary cap is reportedly going up to around two hundred and fifty million dollars according to Pro Football, Like, we don't really know. It could be anywhere from two forty three to two fifty, but either way, it's going up a lot.
Speaker 1: Where else do you want to go? Greg? What jumped out to you?
Speaker 2: Well, let's go ten to twenty, just because that that is more fun. Big names Daniel Hunter. We mentioned was ten. Evans is eleven. Jalen Johnson, I think it's gonna get tagged at twelve. Michael Pittman, I think will also probably get tagged with the Colts. And then it's Tyron Smith, the only good tackle on the market, Saquon Barkley to me, easily the best running back on the market, Calvin Ridley. An interesting situation where the Jaguars get a better draft pick or have to give away a better draft pick if they re sign Ridley, So they're incentivized to not sign Calvin Ridley at this point, so a good chance he gets free. Jonathan Gernard of the Texans, Leonard Williams, Michael Owen U who's the highest guard tackle I have? And then Chauncey Gardner Johnson. That's ten to twenty. And one of the reasons when U's up there and Tyron Smith's up there is cause like the two positions that they're just not on this list our cornerback and tackle. And it just says a lot I think about the NFL. It's like you can get defensive tackles, you can even get defensive lineman, but there's like no tackles, no cornerbacks available, whatsoever, you got to get those on.
Speaker 4: The defensive tackle is not the easiest to find necessarily find in the drafts sometimes as well at that one position. But one name that stands out to me because part of this, like I think smart free agency is keeping core people around, especially if you have a young quarterback like the Colts cannot let Michael Pittman go.
Speaker 3: In my book, I don't think.
Speaker 4: That he's a flashy number one type of guy in all aspects of his game, but it's like he is imperative to what they're trying to do on offense, what they're trying to build.
Speaker 2: Well, it might be the worst receiver group in the league if he's gone.
Speaker 1: I think he's one of the more interesting cases if he ever did get to free agency, because he has produced even with a lot of bad quarterback play. But he's also maybe not a game changer necessarily, so how possession Like again, like where he's I would love him as a one B or a two as opposed to paying him like a one, especially as we're saying, like there's so many good wide receivers coming out of the draft every year in every round he's a guy that you see those like Kenny Galladay is a good example, not that they're similar players, but where you get paid. He'll be our number one or two, number one, and he wasn't and then all of a sudden it doesn't work out. The guy Tyron Smith jumps out to me, he's he's on your list? Where is he on your list?
Speaker 2: I think thirteen fourteen?
Speaker 1: Like I think, for instance, my team, the Jets, are going to be all over Tyron Smith because they're going to want to sign a big tackle and then draft a tackle with their pick. And that's going to be great news for Smith because if there's not a lot of big tackles on the market and there's a desperate team like the Jets, that's going to drive his market up. So he is going to get a lot of money, maybe more than he deserves at this point.
Speaker 2: He last year though he stayed healthy.
Speaker 1: It's his age, though where is he at? I think now up to thirty five, he's going to get a lot. He's going to get more money than you would think a thirty five year old tackle. He's thirty three actually, okay, my best turn thirty three.
Speaker 2: So yeah, look, he was on the Hall of Fame All twenty tens team. I mean, this is a guy who's probably making the Hall of Fame someday and had really struggled with injuries the three previous years, but he had a healthy year this last year. I think that he actually might get to freegency because Tyler Smith, who they drafted is quite good.
Speaker 1: You know, GM Aaron is going to be all over that one.
Speaker 2: Right, and again it's a position that it's so bad. Michael Owen, who for the Patriots, who can play guard or tackle. I think he's best at right tackle. He's going to get paid a lot of money because there's just not many young players available. And then after that it's just like, come on, it's like Trent Brown, who's a bit of a nightmare in terms of injuries and like off field stuff where he'll have one good year and then he becomes a headache. He's the next guy, maybe Jonah Williams, who Bengals fans probably are in love with, but at least he can just play illumin or who is with the Raider.
Speaker 1: These guys can just play as those are where you get in trouble to sign it around.
Speaker 2: Jonah willis right, in some fun guy like I saw someone I did see that had Becton, you know, like Beckton might get some money just because he played last year and right, and there's no one available, so there's some projects out there, but but those positions get paid. You you mentioned Pittman, I think he will get tagged. I think Evans will get out there, though, and it is fascinating to think, like where could he go? And then I think of who else will get out there at wide receiver. Marquis Brown I think is gonna be that guy you mentioned. Not He's not gonna be like Galladay because I think he's a good player, but he's gonna make more than people expect because him and Ridley they're fast and they're available, and you kind of need three receivers and it can be one of your three receivers. They can be your two or year three. They're not your one, but a two like a Pittman is probably worth twenty million dollars a year now, So people are gonna have sticker shock, but Marky's Brown or Calvin Ridley will probably get twenty million.
Speaker 4: Well, it's like years in a row where the wide receiver paydays for free agency have been insane. I mean, I guess you could find a team that really needed wide out help and you could almost pair like a Marquis Brown with another wide receiver on the freegent market and completely change You mean, you like mark east Brown, but.
Speaker 1: You want to play twenty million for Markus Brown. I'll get a guy in the second round.
Speaker 2: But it's kind of like when Kirk Christian Kirk got paid seventeen million a year a couple of years ago, and man, that looked bad at the time, and now I'm like, actually, he's pretty dependable and you need receivers and that's like an okay price.
Speaker 3: That's just how it is. I think, Yeah, like.
Speaker 4: You eyed up, no problem with you putting Higgins above Evans. I mean, I think Higgins, you know, they could they could tag him too if they want, but like.
Speaker 2: Probably will tag him. But the Bengals are such a mysterious operation.
Speaker 4: Is that an age thing? A little bit for you with Evans? And like, because what I kind of wonder what kind of contract. I think Evans could find himself go to a playoff type team and be in a wonderful playing situation, but like, what do you pay him?
Speaker 3: Slip is he thirty thirty one, thirty one.
Speaker 4: I mean, I don't know problem paying them a lot of money, but it's like, is he that high?
Speaker 3: Three years from now?
Speaker 2: Right, he's come off one of his best seasons in a long time. He's kind of ages. I'm a little worried I have him too low that he should be even higher on this list. He'll be turning thirty one in August. But I would guess something like a two year fifty million dollar contract, you know where it's a three year contract, but it's really a two year fifty million dollar contract. Like, I see no reason why he wouldn't get paid. And the most surprising buzz to me is like the last week or two is that like, oh, the Bucks actually aren't going to pay him. I don't know if I totally believe that. It makes no sense to me, but that's that's what's out there. What do you think of obj now? As like eightieth on this list? I have gave Davis quite high.
Speaker 3: I like me.
Speaker 2: Some gave Davis. Curtis Samuel's another receiver. I think receivers are always fun to talk about.
Speaker 1: I have Beckham on my subcategory contract year fall stars at least in terms of your rankings, he's down at eighty three and his agent, who's who deserves a Presidential Medal of Freedom for what he's gotten Odell Beckham compared to the production over the last five or six years, you could point to again. Up by the end of the season, he was kind of looking like Odell again. And then you popped the hood and the analytics are pretty good. They said that he's a you know, a premium number two maybe wide receiver, but somebody else can pay for him. I know, for instance, my team was poking around before he went to the Ravens. I hope they don't again. I don't want like wrong side of thirty wide receivers that are going to be commanding a big salary when I could find somebody in the draft instead.
Speaker 2: I don't think you will this year.
Speaker 1: I think he I think he's gonna play on a one year deal again, like one year.
Speaker 3: The rest of his career is just one year for about half.
Speaker 2: The money that he made. But you have I think it's a bad spot. I think I think Gabe Davis, like you could talk yourself into there's a lot of untapped potential, a lot of big play, but even Darnell Mooney. I would rather have our guest on the show, kJ Osborne, I think is kind of a fun guy. I'd rather go. I'd rather go young.
Speaker 1: You have Austin Eckler by the way way down, which is like you have him twenty spots lower than Jameis Winston, I believe, which is wild to me. Uh And in general.
Speaker 2: I overrate the backup quarterbacks. I rank them side high.
Speaker 1: From what I understand, this is not a great running back draft class. So I would I would. I would say you probably should bump up some of these running backs. But at the same time, it is I think telling that coming off last summer where we were all talking about all these running backs getting banged, these stars that aren't getting the contracts they want or deserve. And Eckler tried to get traded, you know, he tried to get a raise. Josh Jacob's held out, Saquon Barkley held out and got a ridiculous like that contract is more ridiculous with every day they gave him this absurd incentive deal, but he got no money out of it. What kind of money they get where they stack up. Derrick Henry is out there I'm curious. I love the idea of Derek Henry going somewhere on the right team goodbye more than any of those other players. I think Henry in the right setup could be a real dog for a team.
Speaker 4: I had the thought because the team that's gonna look so different on offense, I think will be the Greg Roman Harbaugh Chargers.
Speaker 3: Like, what about Derrick Henry behind justin HRB?
Speaker 2: That would be fun and I'll send him to the Chargers.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I think they're gonna be a different type.
Speaker 1: Now they have Jim harbaught and now things will change.
Speaker 3: But I mean, what name of coaches want gonna want to go find a Maulinge run.
Speaker 1: I love it as a fit. Ye.
Speaker 2: I struggled with where to put him in Jacobs. Jacobs was about twenty spots Hire a year ago had a bad year and that kind of follows his career where three and a half yards per cars it's like one great. It did look much better the eye test, especially by the end. He's a great receiver. He's a complete back. But I have him and Henry around thirty and that's where to me, a lot of the good value in free agency actually comes as these one year deals for veterans, like you could say what you want about Clowney or even Zadarias Smith last year, who was paid more than Clowney. Certainly, it's like those guys who are actually bargains compared to paying the like fourteen to fifteen million dollars a year for some young guy, and Derrick Henry and Jacob's to me are like the veteran running back equivalent to that, but they're not gonna make much money. I think they're nice one year ads and position scarcity and the money is all a factor. So that's why I have guys like Pollard and DeAndre Swift and JK.
Speaker 3: Dobbins.
Speaker 2: I have them all ahead of Eckler because they're younger. I think Dobbins didn't look year now he did. I think Dobbins is actually I like guys some I always think teams should pay guys on two year deals coming off injury, because Dobbs could be in Dobbins could be like a nice longer term bet, even if he's coming.
Speaker 4: Out, Like seeing his name on this list, it's like this stuff raises by because it's like he's already going to free see that the one thing I got to bring up here because you got your QB, like you give his you give it the positional uh chart on how you rank these guys Obviously Kirk Cousins number one obviously, and I know I was like, where do you go from this?
Speaker 3: Cause it's not like plug and play star players.
Speaker 4: There's a lot of help at quarterback behind him, but you have Jacoby Brissette about Baker Mayfield.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was where I just had to go with my gut. I know I'm gonna that one is probably gonna get the most such a move push back of anything, but it fills a.
Speaker 3: Certain role for Greg that quarterback.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good one that's overlooked. You know what I decided to do. Mark was kind of split the difference. Be fair to Mayfield. They're they're both in the top. They're right around thirty, so it's not like they're that low in the one oh one. I was like, if I'm gonna stand up for Jacoby and really believe that he's Adulton Line type of quarterback just like I see Baker being, which has to me a lot of value, Like would you rather have that or would you rather have Derek Henry? I would rather have that. I think it's like some teams need that. It raises the floor of your team. So I put them right next to each other because I do think Jake Briskett is very similar to where Gino was a couple of years ago, where it's like he could step in and he could have brought your team to the playoffs. Last year, Dan he he could have with who with the Jets with Hackett maybe no, he would have improved their team a lot.
Speaker 3: I think that's the way.
Speaker 2: I truly believe that's a level he's playing at. He played it for the Browns. He looked fantastic in that Washington He's still only thirty one, he's learned a lot. Like to me, he's in his prime, and him and Mayfield kind of occupy a similar space. But ranking them versus like Robert Hunt or you know, Gave Davis.
Speaker 3: Is kind of impossible.
Speaker 2: It's kind of hard to you could where to put it, like a mid level quarterback. But that's where I truly believe Jake Briskett belongs that he's better than a de amount of corn.
Speaker 4: And you could argue because both of them played in the same offense that Stefanski had more success, you know, ultimately with Jacoby than he did with Baker.
Speaker 1: Jamis being your number five free agent quarterback is hilarious. Donald's he's Donald Tyler. Huntley is just personal and I'll be.
Speaker 3: A bigger some of those I'll be a bigger man.
Speaker 2: To be fair, Donald's moved up some of those some of those position ones you're looking at are a little off. He is on my long list of one oh one, whereas Huntley is not. So Donald has overtaken him. That might have been congratulations.
Speaker 1: That means it's time to take a break, or is there breaking news? What's happening back there, Funk? But really feel in the space right now?
Speaker 5: Well, I thought you wanted me to play it every time you mentioned one on one, and I've kind of been.
Speaker 1: That was I was good.
Speaker 3: Actually, I think it added some excitement.
Speaker 5: And then earlier you were like you were like you made the little DJ LIBB effects.
Speaker 2: So I have to take a little bit.
Speaker 1: Listen, Funk, explore the space back there. You're doing. Appreciate that. Let's take a break, and when we come back, we will finish our conversation on the top of.
Speaker 4: One the quick that, like people don't realize we don't take we we say we're taking a break, and then we start talking one second later.
Speaker 1: In real life, you told the audience that like two weeks ago.
Speaker 4: I know, but it remains on my radar as a problematic for us.
Speaker 2: I would think, mark you, the last thing you would want to do is take a break and in the office.
Speaker 1: You're right, because we could start to take a break if you felt like it was like not authentic, take a go wasperiance.
Speaker 4: I just think it seems like but I mean, you know, with the listeners, but during that break, you have to listen to your desire, no ad.
Speaker 1: Read scrap all that we could actually, we could keep you here an extra fifteen minutes if we take authentic break. Negative, No, all right, we'll be right back. All right, we're back, and yes we are. If you're just joining us, this is going deep. Rosenthal one oh one, not to be confused with the hands of cessler tooth. Thir team is coming on the doorstep of free agency next month. Greg, let's get back into it. Let's dive in. So here's so QB's we just talked about running backs. There's some really big names there and a draft class that's not high on RB talent being told what is the what's a positional group? If you're a team that needs to plug a position where you're very excited because there's a lot of depth.
Speaker 2: As always, there's a ton of interesting quality safeties just teams just don't play safeties. They always feel like they can find them or replace them. But I think the linebacker discussion is probably more interesting because there are a lot of players available that are plug and play, mostly three down linebackers in their primes that are going to start next year, so that it's one of the only positions where you can look at and say, wow, there's a lot of guys that will I think get big contracts. Patrick Queen is one of them, coming from bald It's more Frankie Louvu from Carolina who's kind of been a gem, you know, diamond in the rough there but it's played really well. Jordan Brooks, who was a first round pick. Bobby Wagner's out there, Devin White, a couple of the Chiefs linebackers, Willie Gabe, Drew tranquill As, he's Alshai here who I really like for Tennessee. So a lot of linebackers and it's kind of a question of like it's a position that went really out of favor to the point where like teams almost ignored it, and now I wonder is it gonna start coming back in because we've seen these teams like Baltimore and San Francisco and even Kansas City has done a good job with their linebackers. Like if you have a three down linebacker, it's such an advantage because no one else does. And it's so hard to get these guys up to speed that a lot of I tend to think these guys like Queen and Louvu and Brooks, they're just coming into their prime. They had some major ups and downs the first couple of years because you have to learn coverage, and I think they will start getting paid in this market. I really struggled with where to put them.
Speaker 4: And Frankie Luvu like to me, every time you watch the Panthers, he's doing something and he's like the kind of perfect free agent pick up for me, because it's like you're not gonna have to blow the market to get him, but he's gonna be productive. We got to do you have any concern because Patrick Queen I thought was underwhelming for big chunks of.
Speaker 3: His time, then they didn't pick up your options.
Speaker 4: But Smith comes in and completely transformed very queen space on the field. So if you go and is that kind of like a classic, he's gonna get a ton of money and then he doesn't shine the way you.
Speaker 2: Very possibly unless it's Mike McDonald and Seattle giving it to him, and I would just like trust him. I don't feel good about that ranking and that feeling because I don't like how these rankings often and teams pay just off the contract year instead of looking at the froll four years, you know what I mean, or the average year that they have. And he's someone who's definitely like peeking at the right time.
Speaker 1: And I give it up to him because he really did have a good year, even if he didn't get the ten sacks. But you Davin Clowney is another guy with uh with Patrick Queen. Yeah, the Mike McDonald effect, like he was a perfect scheme deployed the right way and you saw their games jump up. Would that take place with a different team.
Speaker 2: It is fun to rank, Like see where Clowney's ranking go every year, just gets like a little bit lower, even though he had a great year. He's now forty one. He's right next to Levante David. He's the perfect like Levante, might I set the record one year of one value?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Like how I'm sure someone's tracking this, Like what player non special teams has the most one year contracts. He's got to be up to about five now.
Speaker 2: Yeaes Sue had a bunch in a row at the end of his career. I think a similar type of player. And uh, that's so, there's a lot of players like that that are like, wow, they could really help you. But it's just like, just give him one year and you'll help your team this year, Like a wait, one more linebacker ahead.
Speaker 1: One more linebacker. You didn't mention there? I don't think you did. Was Levante David? Yes, it was up there in years. But obviously he's one of the great linebackers and Bucks history. He could still great cover linebacker, which is so important. Obviously, even with his age, he has all the instincts. Still there is a very real world where the Bucks don't have Levonte d David or Mike Evans on the field in September like that. That's pretty wild. There the page into a new era in Bucks football.
Speaker 2: And Devin White, who you know, when you think of that that super Bowl team, he made the All Pro team back then and he was almost on his way. It felt like to becoming a superstar. Yes, and I have him ranked really low because he just seems like he drives the coaches.
Speaker 3: They're crazy.
Speaker 2: And I think it'll be controversy last year, the last couple of years really or whatever. And I tend to think they will. They will keep Levante David as they did a year ago. He was a free agent a year ago, and that'll say a lot that they're happy to just let uh Devin White go. The you mentioned Clowney. That is one position where it's like, man, there's a lot of good defensive like defensive end, offensive lineman of bille. If you need like five hundred quality snaps out of interior or defensive end, that's I think where the sweet spot is in free agency.
Speaker 3: I love some of these guys like Andrew van Ginkel.
Speaker 2: I really like that he's great.
Speaker 4: He'd be a good signing, like you know, like I thought Zadarius Smith was a huge difference maker across from Miles Garrett and Cleveland. And if you go back, if you're the Browns and you don't resign him and you don't find someone to go do that same thing.
Speaker 3: That defense is completely mar.
Speaker 2: But you can't. That's a good thing for a team like them, Like you can find someone whether it's there's a lot about him or it's like a Leonard Floyd Klay. Dj Wanham was an okay player for Minnesota, Like there are players your guy, Bryce Huff I think is gonna be an interesting guy to watch. I struggled with where to put him because all he does is win when it comes to like past win rate is like godlike. And yeah, he pops off the screen too. He just is so explosive. Yet you know, he never earned the full trust to get like, you know, fifty snaps a game. I'm not sure why that is, but I think he's gonna make a lot of money. So they didn't because he's young.
Speaker 1: Based on the playing time that Jets staff didn't trust him against the run. So if he is somebody that's limited in that in that respect and and that doesn't develop, then you're paying for like just a pure pass rusher. And how much money? How much money does he get? Like he is a guy I fear because they they made the mistake. I thought of taking Will McDonald last year when they had so much depth at defensive line, and now they're probably gonna let Huff walk because they have this first round pick that they need to develop. A team could get a guy that's like an eighteen sack guy and and if he develops in the other end of the game, he's an all pro. So I think he's a guy like give me give me a chance on Huff if I'm a team out there more than pay big money for Chase Young who a little bit maybe of issues I think voter and the health issues with the surgery. Like give me a guy with upside. I think West used to talk about that with Fantasy sports a lot, and probably maybe it holds for this, like give me the upside shot of a guy being a real stud rather than kind of paying a premium for a guy that has a much lower floor.
Speaker 4: And the Jets are not in great cap situation at the moment either, so it's like, how would they value the Huff thing?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: Jonathan Garnard is another guy who get paid a lot of money off the edge. There's a lot of different options there. You mentioned Wes see the Jacoby Preset thing. This is where I need Wes for. You asked, how long have I been doing it. I did it for a few years before coming here, one year without west here, and then you know, we would have our battles, we would have our two lists, we would bring them together. I still got some of those lists from west Son saved on my you know, laptop and my Google docs and everything. And he would know I would like Jacoby too much, so then he would purposely rank him even lower than he wanted to even it out. And I can't argue with the checks and balances are I'll.
Speaker 1: Never forget the jams. Who was founded on the jamis Winston Marcus Mariota battles between Lesson.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure who won that.
Speaker 2: We both lost in the end. I think the listeners lost well.
Speaker 1: According to your rankings, he's one of the top free agents out there.
Speaker 3: He is ninety.
Speaker 2: If there's something I stand on the hill and Ryan Tannehill's there too, that a backup quarterback is worth a lot. It's worth maybe more than a replacement level safe or like a rotational linebacker. And I think they're underpaid. So that's I rank them that way that to me, they're more important. I struggled with where to put Minshew, Where to put Josh Dobbs. She is low, min She's a little low. He's just reliable.
Speaker 1: I mean like he'shead and a career loser. And one guy is stepped in in a nice job last year. How could they be so different?
Speaker 2: There's different They're right next to each other on the list.
Speaker 1: But why is the guy that really stepped in and did well last year behind the guy that went into victory formation and called a touchdown run.
Speaker 2: I'm not I'm not knocking him respectfully, Minshew. I think if you peak behind the he actually finished the season playing well, but I don't think he was playing that well.
Speaker 1: Most of it was fine.
Speaker 2: Jamis. Jamis has been a productive player, is still relatively young. I think he's more talented. They're close, though, but if you need a backup, though, there's a million flavors.
Speaker 3: Jamis Dobbs was out there.
Speaker 2: Who's probably gonna end up on the one oh one once the tags happened because he's right outside. Tyrod actually played pretty well. Darnold's out there, Mason Rudolph's out there, Drew Locks out there. There's like kind of all of those lives.
Speaker 3: Is Tyana Hill.
Speaker 4: Too good to be a backup? I mean, does he take a starter's job away if there's issues? I mean I kind of liked him.
Speaker 1: Maybe I over think he's like the Baker this year where he's going to sign somewhere where he was a chance.
Speaker 3: I would have had him way.
Speaker 2: I did a list earlier in August, like before the season, and he was so much higher. So was one of his old teammates, Christian Fulton, who's in my top twenty. And his play this year spooked me a little bit that like, oh yeah, this guy is thirty six years.
Speaker 4: Old and he gets seen moment well, but behind a terirball offensive line with a lack of skilled positions.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, but I just started to thinking, Okay, maybe he's reaching that Matt Ryan part of the career. Not everyone's going to be Aaron Rodgers. And you know, before this year and playing so great at thirty seven, thirty's.
Speaker 4: Still if I were Pittsburgh and I know that there they've got their whatever they're doing over there. But like you just pick up Tannehill paring with Arthur Smith and there you go.
Speaker 2: Right, why not?
Speaker 1: I mean, do more.
Speaker 4: Well, do more also, but I'm saying they'll do nothing. Route It's like there's a ton of OUs in the closet.
Speaker 1: By the way, a lot of listeners reached out about the summer. What is the summer in a day? The Ray Bradbury tail about the poor girl locked in the closet, and now all Pittsburgh fans locked in that closet wanting to be let out to see the sunshine.
Speaker 3: He really connected with the with the listeners, they.
Speaker 2: Really think I have to think about the entire story again to even understand why this applies to the Steelers.
Speaker 1: But she used to be on Earth and she saw the sun regular that was the right peak be big Ben. Yeah, she knew what it looked like to see in an exciting offense in Pittsburgh, and now she's in this other world planet.
Speaker 2: Who are the other girls locking the Steelers in the closet? The GM okay, okay, the Steelers themselves, the.
Speaker 4: Girls, the Steelers fans or the football viewer?
Speaker 5: Yeah what Randy, Sorry, I'm sorry that was Nixon.
Speaker 2: No, don't tell us that.
Speaker 3: I just liked it. It was good.
Speaker 1: It was yeah, So let us say, you know, Mason Rudolph probably is holding that door closed, and sure, I'm sure he has a role in it.
Speaker 3: Venus is closer to the sun. That's all. I don't get the I can'cel.
Speaker 1: Take it up with the estate of Ray Bradberry he passed away in two thousand.
Speaker 4: I mean, he had a firm grasp on science fiction. So I'm not gonna go nuts with it.
Speaker 2: But one of the things you noticed doing this exercise, what teams pop up a lot early in this list and for such a terrible roster. I was like, man, a lot of the Patriots best players are free agents now, like they are in a tough spot. Kyle Duggar is a top twenty five player on this list. There's some dis I'm a little lower in him than some others, but I still like him. He's a big playmaker on When You is one of the best offensive linemen on the list. Trent Brown is one of the best offensive linemen on this Hunter Henry is my number two tight end on this list, but behind Dalton Schultz. It's like this is a bad roster that's about to get work.
Speaker 3: You could see every one of those players going somewhere else.
Speaker 2: We do think they all were maybe Dugger. I don't even know.
Speaker 1: We need to come up with a list of overly familiar free agency one O one names. It would have like Hunter, Henry curt Of, Samuel. I'm not saying they're bad players. I feel like we're always talking about these guys.
Speaker 2: Leonard Williams is now become a somewhat regular.
Speaker 4: I do wonder with New England because they got the second most cap from in the league, like new leadership. What do you do there? Like, are you gonna spend it on the market? I hope you need to.
Speaker 2: I have a feeling Robert Crafts has this storyline in his head in New England that he doesn't spend money.
Speaker 1: Sorry, is this the rainfall sound effect?
Speaker 5: Yeah? He talked about not seeing the sun, so I was looking for rain I.
Speaker 2: Don't like that we have to make it like five minutes every time. I like it, though. I just like having random sounds.
Speaker 1: Viny at this, thank you, thank you for that, you're doing great fun anything else? I want to say the one oh one number one on one. Oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I did want to talk about this. I really debated it. I was thinking of like it this year. This is not a final list either, so you guys can have some influence if you want. Michael Thomas is the choice right now.
Speaker 1: I mean, this is the guy that does He hold the all time single season catch record.
Speaker 3: Still feels like four years, four thousand years.
Speaker 1: It feels that way, but I think it was twenty nineteen. He was the offensive player of the year, a lot of injuries, finally stayed somewhat healthy last year and is no longer the guy, but as a one o.
Speaker 4: One a little bit of a like locker room menis yeah, I mean more than a little bit aw.
Speaker 1: Some issues, I believe, nothing too serious.
Speaker 2: He has spent a decent amount of this offseason. I've I've held back on bringing up on the show burying Derek Carr again like it's happened more. That was now a month ago, but he made it very clear to the point Derek Carr like had to respond while like doing some sponsor obligation in a locker New Orleans and just said, I want the best for Mike. I don't know, you know why he's doing this more or less.
Speaker 1: So whoever, whoever gets Michael Tomas, you better hope that he likes your quarterback. But he's like, for instance, I know this isn't how you do the one on one because there's a little like Twitter and the lack of punctuation, little winking nod to the whole thing. Yes, you need to find that heart that that wouldn't move the needle.
Speaker 3: Ness should have been jamis okay.
Speaker 2: So I thought about Minchew. I thought about but I wanted Minschew a little higher on the list.
Speaker 3: He's gotten would have been wasn't one one year?
Speaker 2: Gino was one on one, which, in hindsight, way too low, way too low.
Speaker 1: Gonna put Teddy Bridgewater on this list this year? How mad did it? It was sad, but he's helping the of America.
Speaker 2: I thought Josh Dobbs would be a fun one on one, but I tend to do that where it's always some like uh out of lett, you know, kind of like field quarterback. And I thought Michael Thomas was a nice change of paying.
Speaker 1: Have Austin Eckler at ninety two. I understand why that's so low. That's he's almost off the list. Greg, Well, he won't be saying, all right, I did not check this out of curiosity. I'm going to check one of your competitors. I won't. I won't say what it is that seems I feel like Wes he's back on that ninety is.
Speaker 2: What is Eckler giving you right now? That he's a Devin singletary, isn't who's not on the list for He's.
Speaker 1: Maybe the best pass catching running back in the league outside of McCaffrey. And I know he didn't look great last year, but maybe he was beat up. I mean ninety two I was.
Speaker 4: I have a list from a metric site that we mentioned previously.
Speaker 3: He's at fifty six, okay on their list.
Speaker 1: Live with that. I could live with fifty six.
Speaker 3: Where the comp is Dion Lewis.
Speaker 1: Where in the eighteen where's Josh Jacobs on your list?
Speaker 2: He's second thirty two or something.
Speaker 1: He had average three and a half yards of carry last year.
Speaker 2: Got more juice, move is better.
Speaker 4: He did get better after McDaniels left, and then he got hurt again.
Speaker 2: Eckler's had a lot of wear and tear on a relatively small.
Speaker 1: Body and just no tell Matt Harmon about this. I'm using my I'm telling Harmon right now, I do a show together.
Speaker 2: It's some of those plays that you called out Dan during the season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the piano on his back.
Speaker 2: Lack of explosiveness with a running back I found, you don't want to chase him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, damn piano on his back.
Speaker 3: You got to take that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, with running backs, you don't want to chase the rebound. At age twenty nine, I think it's.
Speaker 1: A sensible contract.
Speaker 2: It's safer to just be like, okay that I wouldn't mind him in like a committee situation.
Speaker 1: Two years with the club option and maybe he was dealing with things and he comes back rejuvenated. I just think that's almost off the one on one extreme.
Speaker 3: I'll move him up a little yet.
Speaker 1: Like literally like forty touchdowns the previous two years, didn't have any season career derailing injury.
Speaker 2: All Right, I might move him up at six spots in favor Packers guard John Runyon and Jets safety Jordan Whitehead.
Speaker 3: It is really annoying.
Speaker 1: Whitehead has a nose for the football.
Speaker 2: These guards keep them behind white Head. Ranking these guards because like finding out who likes what guards or what the league like, and just like pretending I really have a hot takeout of John Simpson, who's in my top fifty, and Lloyd Cushion Berry, who's a nice young center. But it's like, you guys are fine with one on one. You're fine with Michael Thomas. I guess because he's.
Speaker 1: Yes, No, I think this other one.
Speaker 2: It's actually kind of hurting his value because in the end, with players getting taken off and added, like, it'll be like the he should be like eight eighties.
Speaker 1: I would put him in the eighties and put Jamis at one on one, but we're not going to fight that battle.
Speaker 2: Jamis isn't a fun one on one. Michael Thomas is fun.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: You know what I did this year. I made sure to check that free agent kicker list and have respect for the position, and I realized quite an underrated kicker is worthy. He's in my top ninety Kyami Fairbard shout out to oh yeah, keep along, Miami Fairman. Maybe he should be even higher.
Speaker 1: Where do you have him?
Speaker 2: Uh, he's like in the top ninety. Oh just got cut a year ago. If you've been annoying with as a kicker within a year, then I you don't make the top one hundred. But Kyamie Fairman has been awesome in the last two years. I feel like he deserves it.
Speaker 1: Greg the leg zerline was a monster this special year. I didn't realize he's in free agency.
Speaker 2: He's a free agency.
Speaker 1: Got to lock him up. We got tagg his ass.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they probably will give Fairman a nice little deal, big bone.
Speaker 1: Randy's out there. Dick or the Kicker he is not.
Speaker 2: He would have been. I honestly would have put Dick or the Kicker in the top fifty or something. But he's one of those fake exclusive right now. Oh yeah, he has no actual bargaining all.
Speaker 1: Right, anything else, Greg, I think you did an excellent job. Minor quibbles overall. Certainly it's going to seem complete when compared to the free agency two thirteen. But honestly, uh, that's just that's not even your fault. That's more our our ambition towering over all rival.
Speaker 4: And we and you know, according to our plan, we need to probably get to work in the next hour or two on that.
Speaker 1: Oh, send the bots the box stork, you know.
Speaker 2: Scheduling Note, we're not scheduled to be back till Tuesday. There'll be NFL combine. We'll be talking about all those press conference. But you guys have a long weekend in front of you. Of just in the lab watch and tape works.
Speaker 1: A couple It's a couple of dropdowns and then an enter click, and then we we go get a couple of beers, and we come back and most of the work's done quite frankly beautiful. Yeah, that's how it works.
Speaker 3: I think, Well, it's gonna work fun.
Speaker 1: Does it comb? Does it literally comb through the Internet and grab bits and pieces of everyone else?
Speaker 4: I mean it will probably grab some of Greg's so that's what we're gonna have to be careful of.
Speaker 1: Well, we'll replace some of the more obvious bits of plagiarism with a little Sessler flair.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 2: I would like, uh, thank you, n I would like to c ana I bought try to generate an average Mark Sessler, but that.
Speaker 1: We're going to supplement the AI with some seslerisms.
Speaker 4: Really just to sneak it past, you know, editorial to a couple of keywords and they believe that we've done all the work.
Speaker 1: I come in with a happy Gilmore reference.
Speaker 3: Dan's back to his old tricks.
Speaker 2: It's like, hey, what about Live Like they really bang themselves by calling themselves live before the Internet.
Speaker 1: You know. I make a couple like Logan Roy references here and there send glory. Glory is ours? All right, Randy, you did a nice job. Who's the Kendall Roy of the free agency list? Mm hmm, it's a good one to think about, all right, Randy, get back to us in exactly one week. Thank you for filling in my pleasure, all right till Monday. Tuesday he the call.