Speaker 1: Okay, listen today, I have a confession to make. I've lived in England for eighteen years and I still don't support a football team. That's because the sport I follow religiously is cricket, and yet there is something magical about the Football World Cup. I return home after a long work day and I feel compelled to watch the game, even if it is Cape Verde or Kurisow playing, or as it turns out, particularly after watching those games when Cape Verde and Kurisaw are playing. There is a good reason why the World Cup is the most followed sporting event, and this year's tournament is bigger than ever, happening in places that are hotter than ever. This is zero. I am Akshadrati this week the future of sport on an overheating planet. There are two big questions here. The first is what is climate change doing to sport? And the other is what is sport doing to climate change? Sporting events have an emissions impact, and a heating planet has impacts on athletes and fans who are facing risks to their health and well being doing things that they love. From adding extra hydration breaks at this year's World Cup to the Tokyo Olympics, moving the marathon event a thousand kilometers northward to manage the heat, to having air conditioned stadiums at the Qatar World Cup, to shortening the lengths of stages in the Tour de France cycling event. Climate change is forcing sport to adapt, but how long can they continue to do this when we all continue to heat up the planet. To discuss all this and more, I am joined by Jessica Murphy, a researcher and professor at the University of North Carolina who studies the intersection of sport and climate change. As always, if you've got feedback or guest suggestions for Zero, get in touch at zero port at Bloomberg dot net. Jessica, welcome to Zero.
Speaker 2: Hi, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Let's start with the impact of a hot planet on sports itself, and let's look at the Football World Cup, because it's here, the biggest sporting event. It's happening at peak somewhere in some very hot places in North America. You're speaking to us from North America, and by now almost everyone has seen that these games have added a hydration break midway through each half, and that's a decision to avoid heat strokes. But athletes are people who are already competing at the extremes of their body. They're already pushing themselves far beyond what most of us are capable of. So in that context, is climate change a few degrees celsius of heat much of an issue.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, when you're already at an extreme as far as the capacity of what your body can do, any slight shift is that much more dynamic. A matter of degrees year over year really shows up physiologically, mentally, economically, all things are stretched that much further when bodies are pushed to an extreme, when lifestyles are pushed to an extreme. So any slight change can really be at times catastrophic and other times and accelerant for human performance.
Speaker 1: And can you talk through some examples of what catastrophe looks like for an athlete in heart conditions.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And exertional related heat illness in many cases is catastrophic, and it is a combination at least what we've seen as our planet has gotten warmer, that exertional related heat illnesses aren't due to one hundred percent to the exertion of the body, but it is a combination of the exertion of the body. Our bodies produce heat but also the heat of our planet in the ambient temperatures, so a combination of both can many times be a medical catastrophe. Anything ranging from heat syncoped to heat exhaustion, heat stroke.
Speaker 2: Those are.
Speaker 3: Public health concerns that do have a fatality rate associated with them when it's hot. We do talk a lot about hydration, sunburn, things that are also very medically severe, but takes a bit longer for those to have a fatality rate. The heat stroke has a palpable fatality rate that can really affect people who are putting their bodies on the line, and that's elite athletes, but also farmers and construction workers and people who you know do very physically demanding things. But medical catastrophes aren't the only thing. Like there are environmental hazards that can render sport unplayable. We've seen entire stadiums and arenas destroyed due to climate catastrophes, So there's a spectrum there.
Speaker 1: Sticking to the impact on body, there's heat, of course, and heat can be dry heat or it can be wet heat and humidity, and a lot of the warnings going into the World Cup were to look at like players in Miami in Florida playing in humidity. How exactly is this combination of heat and humidity a problem.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm speaking to you from the southeastern United States, and we've got this trifecta perfect storm of hazards. Picture it as a triangle of heat, humidity, and direct sunlight. When they owe lab they're really difficult to manage physiologically. So heat is one thing where drier heats we can cool the body off. But that's the interesting thing about sweating. The mechanism that cools our body down and be sweat is evaporation. When the air is humid, and it's I think we've got an eighty percent humidity here today. You can taste it, you can kind of chew.
Speaker 2: Through the air.
Speaker 3: There's already water in the air, which means our sweat now is not evaporating. Instead, it's a layer of sweat that is warming up.
Speaker 2: A lot of times.
Speaker 3: You know, you put an ice pack on, you get some cooling relief from how cool it is. Imagine if an ice pack was warm. That's kind of what it feels like when sweat can't evaporate off of the body and effectively cool itself down.
Speaker 2: That on top of direct.
Speaker 3: Sunlight makes playing surfaces extremely warm, and it's the body working against itself to try to cool off. And as the body works against itself to cool off, now it is expending energy on protecting itself rather than the energy to play soccer if that makes it, or to play football.
Speaker 1: And you know, we started with football because it's here and soccer as you call it in America. We talked about the hydration breaks because of the heat and the humidity. But just taking a step back, is there like a ranking of the most affected sports when it comes to climate change?
Speaker 2: Hmmm, that's a great question.
Speaker 3: Definitive ranking, probably not, but generally and at least what we see here in the States that they mirror the summer and the warmer months. So those sports that take place between spring and fall traditional seasons, right, but now, from an environmental standpoint, those are very blurry lines have a greater exposure to certain heat related hazards because of the duration of when the sport is traditionally played. But then also competition time, competition duration, and frequency of performance. So what comes to mind for me really is baseball that is really popular right now? And through a lot of the same geographies that we're seeing the World Cup playing out with multiple games in a week, lots of travel, lots of demands on the body. So baseball is one that has a high exposure to some of the most critical components that you know increase vulnerability for a sport. But soccer, football, track and field, some of these other ones where we can really see the exertion might come to mind first.
Speaker 1: So I grew up in India, and in India, cricket is the national obsession. And you know, cricket now actually has a US exposure, it has a premier league, and I know that the twenty eight Olympics is going to feature cricket. It's played outdoors that had these huge pitches, there are no roofs, and of course playing in India means high temperatures and in many cases high humidity. Are there sports you think that would be unplayable in to three degree celsius warming that is coming by twenty fifty or even twenty one hundred.
Speaker 3: Yes, the short answer is yes. I love cricket. I wish that it was more popular. I wish it was something that I could have played growing up. I have I exposed some of my students to it last summer and we did a whole lesson and were coached, and they fell in love with it. And it took a lot of convincing to be like, this is a really, really popular sport, so let's learn about it and grow some appreciation. And I think through that we can be a little bit more empathetic to the realities that other sports face beyond what is normal or most popular or most televised wherever you happen to grow up.
Speaker 1: Sports changes all the time, right, Like the cricket has gone from playing being a five day game to now having a four hour format. Are there ways in which you have seen other sports also change because of climate change that we are seeing. So we saw a hydration break in this World Cup. Any other examples that come to your mind.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, I talked about baseball already. There have been rule changes and a lot of sports to speed up the pace of play. A lot of the times that's marketed for entertainment purposes. Right, we have very short attention spans as human beings, but it also decreases the time that we are exposed to the environment. Pace of play makes what was a three and a half hour game a three hour game, and that is a considerable amount of time saved. There are sports that don't really exist outdoors anymore, where we're seeing the adaptations of the sport being moved indoors, and in a lot of cases we see that in our snow and ice sports they're played inside. So the National Hockey League just wrapped up. We saw Stanley Cup here in town. The NHL is one hundred percent indoor league. But hockey originated outdoors on ponds that used to freeze, and so these are slow shifts that over a person's lifetime, we won't see the entire time span of the adaptation or the change of the sport, but we do see these little tweaks across a lot of sports. Equipment is changing the style of uniform Shorts are getting shorter, and pads and helmets are getting lighter to make accommodations and adaptations for changing climate. Distance runners right, like, the uniforms are just getting less and less, which is a pro and con. There's a lot of technological advances to that, but it does a different It has a different effect on sun exposure and moisture wiking, Like there are these constant shifts over time where one day we'll look back and say, wow, this sport has changed entirely from how I remember it.
Speaker 2: But in the moment there are these little tweaks.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And in cricket, as you know, the ball itself is made of leather and it changes as it is played in a longer game, especially how the ball changes is very important, and temperature has an impact on that, and the surface has an impact on that. You know, the surface can get drier much faster and as a result can have more impact on the ball, can change the trajectory of the ball, So that's also going to change the game.
Speaker 3: Surfaces is a totally different topic. That is another podcast episode. I think if you are talking about grass and fields and you know, that is a different can of worms altogether.
Speaker 1: Talking of grass, you know Wimbledon played in very hot temperatures, Like, what would the changes to grass to the game.
Speaker 3: Oh, my gosh, that's a great question. Tennis is so interesting to me because there are eight plus different ways that the game can be played, which is really really cool. And grass is an element that is so controlled and manicured in sport, But at the end of the day, it is a natural element in a lot of cases. So turf management is a really comprehensive field when it comes to sport and athlete health and safety, but then also the playability of the game. So we can see the ball bounce in different ways, we can see how players.
Speaker 2: Their bodies respond.
Speaker 3: To changes in friction in turf density, lots of slips and a rolled ankle here and there. That can come down to how used this place on the grass is, and the environment has a lot to do with that, even if all of the right steps are taken to preserve it. That conversation has come up some here regarding the World Cup, especially the sites that are NFL hosts, and the transition from artificial turf to natural turf grass and the soil at the concrete and the substrates underneath the grass, and how that might affect the trajectory of the ball, or how high the ball bounces, or how bouncy the ground is when a player falls. All of these things that when you're watching on TV can be really hard to digest and see, and so it's super comprehensive and really interesting, and I expect it to be an area that changes.
Speaker 1: After the break. I asked Jessica Murphrey what responsibility athletes and teams have to raise climate change as an issue for their sports. If you're enjoying this episode of Zero, please write us a review on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, or YouTube and email us at zero port at Bloomberg dot net. I want to come to the impact of sports on climate change. Yeah, but let's come to emissions from travel a little bit later. Let's first address the bigger point which I feel like we don't talk about often enough, which is that sports icons are cultural influencers. These are athletes with huge following who, if they wanted, can raise the profile of climate change and make people think about the issues in front of us more.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Are you seeing players take that responsibility seriously?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: And there's been what I would say a great increase in athlete activism and advocacy on behalf of the environment here recently over the last five or ten years, and social media has certainly helped with that. As far as the platform and athletes are doing this, I think in different ways. Not everyone is extremely outspoken, but they're making decisions on behalf of themselves and their followers or their fans, So there's a whole host of female football players that signed a protest against so fuel sponsorships of professional soccer, which is amazing to see, especially coming from female athletes, as women and children face greater climate vulnerabilities. Having that power come from a sector in the sport that is often overlooked and underpaid, I think is really powerful and impactful. A lot of the times we do see climate champions sprinkled throughout a league or concentrated on a specific team, and there are some sport federations and organizations working to make it more of a collective effort.
Speaker 1: But it is still, as you said, few places and few sport and few people inside a sport that are doing it. In cricket, for example, the Australian captain Pat Cummins is talked about climate change, but it's not like every player or every team has a player that talks about these issues. Is that because there is still a political cost to talking about climate change that there might be a backlash if you take this topic up.
Speaker 3: I think there are a lot of costs, and politics is certainly one of them, and then fan alienation is another one that's sort of been studied at the organizational level. I'm not entirely sure about at the individual athlete level, but there's definitely some concerns. Athletes have also historically been put in a box outside of environmental issues, but social ones, political ones, educational ones where people look to them to win, to score points and earn medals. Anything outside of that, regardless of the domain, has historically been scrutinized to the point where their livelihoods are at risk. And this is extended long before there was climate advocacy in sport. On some of the greatest playing fields the Olympic Games, super Bowls, Australian opens that there's a lot of pushback when athletes do anything other than compete well, and that's a really difficult position to be in.
Speaker 1: One more shout out should be for David Pocock, who we've had on the Zero podcast as a politician, but before he became a politician in the Australian Senate, he was the captain of the Australian rugby team and he chained himself to a coal mining equipment while he was still playing. Then of course took that activism to politics, so sometimes you do get people who take it all the way to have impact on the world in a positive way. Now, let's come to the smaller but real impact as well, which is carbon emissions. There are forty eight teams competing in this World Club, the most ever, across three countries, the most ever, and that's why the carbon emissions expected from this World Cup are also most ever. Seven point eight million metric tons of CO two is expected to be emitted as part of it, most of it linked to the travel that happens of the audience coming to watch these games. If that's the case that we know fan travel is what causes the emissions, what can we really do about it, because that is aviation fans would like to see the sport. How is it that the system can help address this portion of emissions.
Speaker 3: Yeah, great question, and I would have to lump together fan travel and team and personnel travel as well. Because of the platform that we discussed that sport has, the teams and the executives are not exempt from traveling. The responsibility cannot be put entirely on the fans. Playing sport and enjoying sport is a part of being human, and those who are least responsible for the level of crisis shouldn't bear the entirety of the guilt and the shame around it.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 3: You know, fans are operating in the system that was provided to them, and those are choices that happen at the institutional level. The announcement of a three country, singular continent tournament received an intense amount of pushback. The schedule received an intense amount of pushback, the number of teams, the fossil fuel sponsors. All of these things receive pushback, but the decision goes ahead. Does that mean then that fans are not allowed to enjoy sport, or that we should all boycott the largest display of one of the most popular sports on Earth because of it, or should people still be conscious, concerned and cognizant while also cheering on their country. So there's no hard and fast answer to that, but the responsibility comes down to those who make the decision on what this tournament should look like. FIFA has adapted in the past. Look at Men's twenty twenty two in a totally different time of year. Lots of changes were made to have the cutter tournament.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean the cutter Tournament would be the second highest carbon emitter after this World Cup, not because there was that much fan travel because it all happened in one country in close proximity, but because of the construction cost of building these mega stadiums to accommodate so many people. You have written that some of these mega events, because they move from location to location at every iteration, introduces all sorts of problems construction costs, fan travel, but there's also environmental conditions that change that organizers have to adapt to. Should we just agree on one permanent location for or many of these sporting events and just make that be the case in the future. Would that even be feasible?
Speaker 3: One location is pretty tough, but a rotation of a select few might be the best next step. And to your point, the research really is about disrupting the status quo. It doesn't have to be bigger than the last time. It doesn't have to have more teams than the last time, or seat more fans than the last time. It doesn't have to be every four years either. We could go six years and that might not be the most outrageous thing if it means we're protecting the planet, we're protecting people, we're letting our earth breathe a little bit. Before asking of all of these demands to host something so large a singular site might actually do more harm than good for that specific location. Now is a concentrate of emissions, construction, degradation, depletion, deforestation, and then historically the economic benefits that are oftentimes associated with sport aren't necessarily accurate to what is experienced and lived through by local communities, and so that actually might be pretty harmful. But a little bit of rest and something similar to what the International Olympic Committee has been doing is awarding these bids to locations that have existing infrastructure. So to your point, right, like the Cutter tournament, a lot of that was from brand new construction, and so that's something that's not happening in the US. But emissions are still extremely high. But with the Olympic and Paralympic Games in Paris and then Los Angeles, the infrastructure is there, from the airport to the transit to the facilities and hotels. That certainly does help, But that doesn't mean the Olympics needs to be in Los Angeles every four years or every however often.
Speaker 1: You know, you brought up sportswashing a lot of the mega tournaments and it's not just this football World Cup, but you can take to the France, you can take the Cricket World Cup. Almost all of these events have large fossil fuel sponsorship, and of course the advertising and sponsorship money helps these teams and perhaps some of them will not be able to compete without it. But how should people and teams be thinking about the money that's coming from fossil fuel companies into these sporting events.
Speaker 3: That is a seven layer question, I think, because of how connected all of these institutions and industries are. It's very difficult to separate fossil fuel companies from financial institutions, from media rights holders, and sport at such a high level sits in some tumbleweed of all of.
Speaker 2: Those those industries.
Speaker 3: It's a lot of the same people running the same companies that have been in relationship with each other for a very very long time. A great example, I think are the beverage companies that we see as some of the title sponsors at some of the world's largest sporting events. But those beverage companies are in the business of selling bottled sports drinks and bottled soda and bottled water, and so that's plastic, and that's oil, and that's fossil fuels.
Speaker 2: You see.
Speaker 3: So these are so intricately linked that understanding or even wrapping our minds around what sport looks like, at least as we can consume it on television will look entirely different walking away from some of those sponsors that are deeply nested in other ones. But what's really great is that the solutions do exist, and it might just come down to a matter of creativity and the disruption to the status quo, like maybe not having the tournament so often means that we're running fewer commercials and the travel is a bit more spread out and you can start to divest a little bit over time. I don't think there's a cold Turkey approach to sponsorship and marketing for sport at any level, let alone at the top.
Speaker 1: Obviously, summer is getting hotter, as we are seeing in this World Cup, but Kata has shown us that it's possible to just move a summer sport to an autumn and make it work anyway. I'd be likely to see now a lot picks move from the summer to the autumn. Is that how we're going to adapt to climate change when it comes to playing sport at the elite level?
Speaker 3: I certainly think that that should be on the table. The precedent has been set, it's been done before. We've moved tournaments, we've canceled events because of global public health crises. So there's not a whole lot of backing behind This is impossible, This can't be done. We've never done it, because we certainly have, and creative shifts like that are going to have to take place to protect the health and safety of people, because to your first question, sport will cease to exist if the people can no longer do it, regardless of if we've got the capacity to host the event, if people cannot play it, it cannot happen. And so rescheduling, postponing, relocations, adding in extra time between iterations, these are all very plausible options. Playing in an empty stadium to protect health and wellness. We've done that before, and so sport at the top level, I think certainly should consider that to preserve sport. But I want to add a little bit to what you said, because we associate sport so closely with the season in which it happens, which for you and I has such a global north perspective. Summer to us is not summer to the southern hemisphere, And so what a summer sport is depends on where you're located. Here in the States, we play basketball in the winter, So is basketball a winter sport or is ice hockey a winter sport?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: So there's a nuance and some cultural attachment to what a season even means. And if the seasons are changing, then are associate of the sport with the season?
Speaker 2: Can also change?
Speaker 1: Will the World Sauna Championship be the next big thing? And I'm not making a facetious point here because there used to be a World Endurance contest held in Finland between nineteen ninety nine and twenty ten as the World Sauna Championship.
Speaker 2: Sauna.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think my students would love that. I do start a lot of conversations with what is a sport? Right, like.
Speaker 2: What is it?
Speaker 3: And can we change it? But this is another thing like we saw marble racing during the COVID pandemic on television, racing glass marbles through the sand at the beach. Anything is possible.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Jessica, Thank you, and thank you for listening to zero. Now for the sound of the week. That is the sound of polite shock at Wimbledon after Giovanni Pericard broke the record for Wimbledon's fastest serve at one hundred and fifty three miles per hour or two forty six kilometers per hour. And now, before the usual credits, I want to take a moment to thank Sharon Chen, who has shepherded this podcast over the past few years and who is now moving from the Bloomberg Green team to the Finance team. Her smart suggestions and snappy headlines have made this podcast better and we will miss having her in the team. Thank you, Sharon. If you liked this episode, please take a moment to rate and review the show on Apple Podcasts, YouTube, and Spotify. This episode was produced by Oscar boyd Our. Theme music is composed by Wonderly Special Thanks to Alissa McDonald, Soamersadi and Laura Milan. I'm Akshadrati beat back so