Speaker 1: Hey, guys, Saga and Crystal here.
Speaker 2: Independent media just played a truly massive role in this election, and we are so excited about what that means for the future of the show.
Speaker 3: This is the only place where you can find honest perspectives from the left and the right that simply does not exist anywhere else.
Speaker 2: So if that is something that's important to you, please go to Breakingpoints dot com. Become a member today and you'll get access to our full shows, unedited, ad free, and all put together for you every morning in your inbox.
Speaker 3: We need your help to build the future of independent news media and we hope to see you at Breakingpoints dot com.
Speaker 4: Hi, good morning.
Speaker 1: We'll have the counterpoints Emily. I've been hanging out in the studio all week long.
Speaker 4: I know I'm alo to say, here's some feminine energy for you.
Speaker 1: Pathbro show.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, yes, although sometimes I think I'm more of a bro than Sager. No offense Sager, but yeah, yeah, he doesn't always throw out.
Speaker 5: He can even drink beer. All right. So we've got a huge.
Speaker 4: Show today, Ryan, We have bought to get through and multiple guests. I'm really interesting stuff, so looking forward to that. We have obviously more updates on signal Gate, one of the better gates, I'll say, Ryan, some of these updates, some of these video clips. Donald Trump waighed in yesterday, Michael Waltz was on Laura Ingram, So we got a lot to talk about.
Speaker 5: We'll go through all of that.
Speaker 4: Ryan has a super reporting and drop site on doctor Oz who sailed through his committee confirmation yesterday, will head to a full vote on the Senate floor. What does that mean for Social Security? Or I'm sorry, what does that mean for healthcare? What does that mean for Medicare? What does that mean for anyone who is on those plans? And maybe in the near future we have all kinds of stuff to get to on that. The FBI might not be super happy. This morning, Donald Trump ordered the full declassification of everything related to the Crossfire Hurricane investigation. You may remember that as the code name for the investigation into whether Donald Trump colluded with Russia back in twenty sixteen. Jasmine Crockett had quite a moment yesterday going after Governor Greg Abbott of Texas. So we will bring you that footage and the responses to it. Ryan, We have some guests from the College Democrats here.
Speaker 6: Yeah, there's a huge clash going on in gen Z among.
Speaker 1: Two different camps of Democrats.
Speaker 6: There's the kind of cringe, sellout influencer element that seems to always get elevated by the media as representative of gen Z, and then the actual kind of young people who have very particular opinions about war and the economy and culture and the schools, et cetera. One gets all the attention, the other doesn't. And so we're gonna let these ones dunk on these ones. We're gonna have the president of the College Dems and the VP on to talk about the problem of cringe in their generation, cringe and cashing out, which.
Speaker 5: By the way, used to be almost solely by the right.
Speaker 1: Yes, right.
Speaker 6: The idea that you'd have authentic, earnest people in college Democrats who cared about making the world a better place is a foreign concept to me.
Speaker 1: Those were the Those were the cringe drivers and climbers, yes, back when I was coming up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so let's to talk about there, and Ryan, we have Shreief.
Speaker 5: With us as well.
Speaker 6: Yes, my colleague Shreef have del Cadus, who was Hosam Shabbat's editor over at a drop site he's going to talk about what it was like to work with Hosam, his his life, his death. We'll also talk about some of the marches that were in Gazi yesterday and that are planned planned for again today.
Speaker 4: And we're going to talk about on a much much lighter note, snow White and why it's bombing or maybe why, I don't know what. We're going to get to the bottom of it right right now.
Speaker 1: I saw it.
Speaker 5: Oh, your kids saw it? Did they like it?
Speaker 1: That's fine?
Speaker 4: There are some of the few people in America who've seen them.
Speaker 1: It was a birthday party organized around it.
Speaker 4: That one's gonna be for Producer Griffin. Shout out to producer Griffin. So we'll we do have some interesting I mean, obviously there's some pretty fascinating dynamics between Rachel Zegler.
Speaker 5: And Gala Gado.
Speaker 4: They're interesting political dynamics between Rachel Zegler and gal Gado, but also just Rachel Zegler's position on Israel Galagado's position on Israel. So we'll go through how that may or may not be influencing the way business is treated in the.
Speaker 5: Movie and break it all down.
Speaker 4: So let's start with returning to signal Gate, because there's a lot more to get to. Donald Trump yesterday defended Michael Waltz. I think it's fair to say the wagons are circling around him. The administration has made a conscious decision to defend Michael Waltz, even though, as you will see in just a moment, his own defense of himself is dubious at best.
Speaker 5: So let's listen to Donald Trump yesterday. This is a one.
Speaker 7: It's a question I've been asked down and I've given him a few answers. They've all been the same. We have an amazing group. Our national security now is stronger than it's ever been. We have had a very, very successful numerous attacks in that area. These are people that shoot down ships. Not only are ships ships all over the world, but shooting down right out of the water exactly, things like that. But I don't think it's something we're looking forward to using again.
Speaker 8: We may be forced to use it. You may be in a situation.
Speaker 7: Where you need speed as opposed to gross safety, and you may be forced to use it, But generally speaking, I think we probably won't be using.
Speaker 8: It very much.
Speaker 4: Now, let's hear from Michael Waltz himself, who spoke at that meeting, and later on Laura Ingram We're going to start here with a too Waltz from that same meeting.
Speaker 1: The lessons.
Speaker 9: There's a lot of journalists in this city who have made big names for themselves making up lies about this president, whether it's the Russia hoax or making up lies about gold Star families.
Speaker 8: And this one in particular, I've.
Speaker 9: Never met, don't know, never commune dicated with, and we are and we are looking into and reviewing how the heck he got into this room. But I'll tell you what the world owes President Trump a favor. Under Biden, global shipping was shut down, pinprick attacks months between them, are destroyers being fired upon dozens of times. President Trump took decisive, active action with his national security team.
Speaker 4: Really important point to contrast with Walt's story. In Goldberg's story, he says right there he does not know Goldberg. He says he has never communicated or met him. And in Goldberg's story he does say that they have communicated.
Speaker 5: So, Asager points out, someone's someone's lying here, yes, right, yeah, all right.
Speaker 4: So he was pushed even further last night on Laura Ingram Show on Fox News let's take a look at this next clip.
Speaker 10: I built the group to my job is to make sure everything's coordinated.
Speaker 5: But how did that execute?
Speaker 11: I mean, I don't mean to be pedantic here, but how did the number have you had?
Speaker 10: Have you ever had somebody's contact that shows their name and then you have a and then you have somebody else number? Right, You've got somebody else's number on someone else's contact.
Speaker 3: So of course I.
Speaker 10: Didn't see this loser in the group. It looked like someone else. Now, whether he did it deliberately or it happened in some other technical means something we're trying to figure out.
Speaker 11: So your your stafford did not put his contact information, how did it end.
Speaker 4: Up or so?
Speaker 10: Well, that's what we're trying to that's what we're trying to figure out.
Speaker 11: But that's a pretty big problem.
Speaker 10: Is you've got the best technical minds, right, That's just that's where I mean, I'm sure everybody out there has had a contact where you it was said one person and then a different phone number.
Speaker 11: But you've never talked to him before, So how's the number on your phone? I mean, I'm not an expert in any of this, but it's.
Speaker 10: Just cre how's the number on your phone if you have somebody else's contact and then it and then somehow.
Speaker 1: Someone that it gets sucked in?
Speaker 11: Was there someone else supposed to be on the chat that wasn't on the chat that you thought?
Speaker 10: So the person that I thought was on there was never on there?
Speaker 1: It was this was that.
Speaker 10: Well I'm not Look, Laura, I take responsibility.
Speaker 1: I built the I built it.
Speaker 4: Okay, So they're not answering the question about who that may have been. I think a lot of people agree it seems like it was probably Jamison Greer, us trade representative, would make sense in the context of that conversation. Don't know that for sure, though, it could very well be other people. But I think, you know, they don't want to bring another name into it unnecessarily.
Speaker 5: That would be my guess, that right.
Speaker 1: But Okay, so I think I can undercut something he just said.
Speaker 6: There he he's presenting the idea that he used to be friends with some other two two number.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that got into his phone.
Speaker 5: I see what's up on your phone right now, and it's fort.
Speaker 1: In Goldberg then later.
Speaker 6: Goldberg then later got that number, and then that's how he snuck into the phone. So I have not talked to Jeffrey Goldberg as far as I can remember, since twenty seventeen. Okay, so I just checked signal mm hmm, and his same number came up. Okay, so that's eight years ago. So unless Michael Waltz met and Goldberg threatened to sue us actually at Tough Posts, oh really, yeah, because we were did a story about him being an id F.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I was just going to ask that's.
Speaker 1: For the guard and.
Speaker 6: Beating a prisoner, and his argument was he was there and witnessed the beating, but didn't participate in the beating.
Speaker 1: I didn't write the stories anyway.
Speaker 6: So in any event, his number has not changed for eight years at least according to my quick search of uh signal, And he does show up as JG yep, but also Jeffrey Goldberg because he's in my contacts. But if he didn't, he would show up as JG right right.
Speaker 4: And that's an important thing with Signal is that theoretically there's an argument, And I don't think this makes it necessarily better for Waltz if he's claiming they've never communicated. There are two possibilities here that would have been easy for him to explain away. First of all, maybe he called Goldberg at some point to push back on a story or to dis this.
Speaker 5: Like the charitable explanation.
Speaker 4: From his point of view, maybe he called Jeffrey Goldberg to push back on a story and say you got something wrong, something that principles do sometimes, especially to an eic. Some people have been saying, well, Jeffrey Goldberg hasn't reported anything in over a year.
Speaker 5: True, he's the editor in chief.
Speaker 4: He sends some of his tips to his reporters where he takes calls fields calls from Principles who are saying, man, you got the story really wrong. I don't want you to run this story pressuring him. That could all be plausible, It could have been acceptable, and then you would have him potentially pop up on your signal. But the other thing that could have happened is he could have been in a signal group with Jeffrey Goldberg and Goldberg isn't in his contacts, and then it shows up on signal.
Speaker 5: Now if they're doing right. So none of this works for Michael Waltz. And that's why it's interesting.
Speaker 1: We're all trying to figure out how this happened.
Speaker 4: It's feeling like joy Read level, as someone said, Yeah, that's what it's starting to feel like. It's starting to get rather shameless. Yeah, the time traveling Hackers explanation. Joy Read had all of these posts on her old blog that she no longer wanted to own didn't really fit with her a pro LGBT brand, and said someone must have time traveled and put them into the way back machines.
Speaker 5: Now now we're at that level here with Michael Walls.
Speaker 6: Yeah, which come on, man, like you fat thumbed it. You typed in JG to get who's the USTR.
Speaker 5: James and Greer. It could have been someone else too, though it.
Speaker 6: Would make sense that if you've got the Treasury secretary, you know, war is a racket, like we need all of our money guys, apparently in our war planning, Like why.
Speaker 1: Is the Treasury secretary there?
Speaker 6: And if you're going to have the Treasury secretary, you might as well have the trade rep because it's all about trade. So in any event, he hits a JG and adds that JG, which don't you work for like the intelligence community? You kind of should double check before you just JG are fairly common letters in the alphabet.
Speaker 4: He is the National Security Advisor, I mean he is.
Speaker 5: He is in no position to advise anyone on national.
Speaker 4: Security at this way.
Speaker 1: So embarrassing.
Speaker 4: So it's all the Obviously this is not just touching. Michael Waltz, Tulca Gabbard was testifying and John Ratcliff, CIA director was testifying in front of the Intel Committee yesterday. So let's take a look at both of them fielding some questions on this.
Speaker 5: Let's start with a four. This is Tulsa Gabbard.
Speaker 12: Contact the Defense Secretary or others after this specific military planning was put out and say hey, we should be doing this in a skiff.
Speaker 5: There was no classified material that was shared in that.
Speaker 12: So then if there was no classifying material, share it with the committee. You can't have it both ways. These are important jobs. This is our national security bobbing and weaving and trying to you know, filibuster your answer, So please answer.
Speaker 4: So here's CIA Director John Ratcliffe was also testifying on Capitol Hill yesterday.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 13: One final point miscim out of it, Well, are you gonna give me a chance?
Speaker 1: Is it appropriate?
Speaker 13: Did you know that the President's Middle East advisor was in Moscow on this thread while you were as director of the CIA participating in this in this thread, were you aware of that?
Speaker 1: Are you? Are you aware of that today?
Speaker 14: I'm not aware of that.
Speaker 13: This swoppiness, this incompetence, this disrespect for our intelligence agencies and the personnel who worked for him is entirely unacceptable.
Speaker 1: It's an embarrassment, Senator. You need to do better. You need to do better.
Speaker 5: I regret to do this. I regret to inform you we have more. Take a look at ASEX.
Speaker 14: Your question was, have I participated in any other group chats sharing classify information? To be clear, I haven't participated in any signal group messaging that relates to any classified information at all.
Speaker 1: Okay, Richri Gabbert, Senator, I have the same answer.
Speaker 10: I have not participated in any signal group chat or any other chat on another app that contained any classified information.
Speaker 14: I don't know if you use signal messaging app I do.
Speaker 13: I do not for classified information, not for targeting.
Speaker 14: Neither do I send it.
Speaker 13: Well, that's what your testimony is today.
Speaker 14: It absolutely is not, Senator. Were you listen at the beginning when I said that I was using it as permitted. It is permissible.
Speaker 5: I agree.
Speaker 1: That's your testimony. Yeah, I agree, that's your testament.
Speaker 13: You asked me if I use it, and I said, not for targeting, not for classified information, And I said I don't.
Speaker 4: Because that's obviously the Senate Intel Committee, I think, I said House earlier. They're testifying in front of the House Intel Committee today. Actually, so this isn't going to end. But I have say, Ryan, if we're giving out gold medals, I think probably John Ratcliffe gets one for handling it better than anyone else.
Speaker 5: But that's a low bar.
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't know. Like he seemed to be kind of flagrantly lying there too.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, no, I mean in terms of his performance, not in terms of the merits of his response.
Speaker 6: Paulsy's well, Tulsis seemed to be lying there at the end too, because obviously there was classified.
Speaker 1: Information on this thing.
Speaker 6: The identity of the CIA agent who was representing Ratcliffe was on the thread. That's that, by itself is classified information. They're gonna then say that the timing and the precise munitions to be used for an air an air strike that hasn't happened yet, that that's open, that it would be fine if a sailor took that information and posted it on TikTok or in a discord like that, Come on, you're this is that's that's utterly insulting. I thought that Bennett, the Colorado senator there had the best argument, and that is the Democrat's best argument where he's he's saying, look, this is not theoretical here.
Speaker 1: Steve Wikoff was in Moscow.
Speaker 6: So there are still questions that we don't have the answers to yet, A key one being did he have his phone with him? And we could actually got to go back and check the thread see if he's responding sending the emojis.
Speaker 1: You know, he's one of the ones that sent a whole bunch of But but was.
Speaker 6: He already out of Moscow when he did well, well, if he was out, then where to get his phone? So he must have taken his phone with him, because often they'll they will tell you don't take your government phone to China to rush, et cetera for obvious reasons, because they're going to get on it. They're going to jump on that phone, and then your end to end encryption doesn't mean anything if they're inside your phone. A second key point, this is an old man real estate developer, Like, does this sound like the kind of guy who probably has his phone locked down to the maximum extent possible. No, it's an old man real estate developer. Yeah, and you're sending him while he's in Moscow the names of CIA agents and the precise timing and and the precise kind of attack you're going to launch on an organization that is, you know, linked with Russia. Yeah, Russia's doesn't like fund them, but like they're they're in that same orbit like Iran backs the hu Thies. Russian Iran have relations Like if Russia gets ahold of that information, they'd like nothing more than to make life difficult for the American service members who are then going to be carrying out that attack. By the way, the key thing from an actual substance perspective that came out of this hearing, This was supposed to be a hearing on global threats and the classify and the Intelligence Community's assessment of annual Assessment of Threats, and Republicans are saying they waited till the day before to spring this, so that's so that it would dominate this hearing.
Speaker 1: Yep, probably true.
Speaker 6: Clever if they did the key thing to me that emerged from this hearing from these reports is that the intelligence community's assessment of Iran's nuclear ambitions is that Kamane dispatched with their program in two thousand and three and has shown no interest since then.
Speaker 1: In restarting it.
Speaker 6: That is our intelligence community now under the Trump administry, that's our intelligence community's assessment of Iran's nuclear ambitions not doing it.
Speaker 1: He said, there is some public pressure on him to do it, and.
Speaker 6: Then there's now more talk in Iran because for obvious reasons about kind of pushing him to do it, but as far as they can tell, he hasn't moved any closer to doing it.
Speaker 1: That's getting overshadowed by this idiot gate.
Speaker 4: We're here, Yeah, many such cases. That does seem to be the most operandi of the United States politics in the era of social media.
Speaker 6: And everything has to come back to this, like you've got to be kidding me level of irony. We lived through twenty fifteen and twenty sixteen where we were told that Hillary Clinton sending like sort of classified information on her own personal email, like when she's going to have a meeting with the Bulgarian ambassador or whatever, like that like they classify everything in the government, so that would be like technically classified. There was nobody cares when she's meeting with the Bulgarian ambassador. But we were told that, like, well.
Speaker 4: There were significant there were significant conversations she was having about foreign policy on there.
Speaker 5: But I don't know that they were on this level.
Speaker 1: I think, yes, I don't think it was like yes, if they were.
Speaker 6: On this level, Comy would have charged her.
Speaker 5: Well, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think there's no question that he would have charge her.
Speaker 4: So Elon Musk also is stated by Mike Waltz, despite Elon must being left off this very fun group chat.
Speaker 1: By the way, yeah, if you got if you've got Wick Cough, you.
Speaker 5: Got Susie Wiles. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So Lindsay Graham posts yesterday, I agree with President Trump that Mike Waltz is an invaluable member of his national security team, that he should continue to serve the president in our country, not actually really doing Mike Waltz any favors there to get the Lindsey Graham stamp of confidence.
Speaker 5: But Elon Musk quote tweeted that or quote x that whatever and said same. So what's interesting about that?
Speaker 4: Ryan is Trump, Musk, Lindsey Graham, everybody standing behind Mike Waltz. They're putting him on media, letting him speak to the press. He's going on Laura and Gram. He has this defense that is, I mean, laughably implausible and unpersuasive. They're not even sending him out there with some type of clever maneuvering.
Speaker 5: He's just going out there and.
Speaker 4: Saying, ah like space aliens basically joy read level. Sorry that was a little flippant, but essentially he's saying, you know, maybe somebody hacked into the into the phone, changed his contact something weird could have had.
Speaker 5: It's not a convincing explanation.
Speaker 4: So I think Ryan, what's probably going to happen is he's going to realize he's lost the confidence of everybody around him. Even if Trump publicly is projecting confidence, Musk is publicly projecting confidence.
Speaker 5: This has been used, and I know you guys have talked about this.
Speaker 4: It's obviously been used by the people who already did not trust Mike Waltz, who are already unhappy with Mike Waltz because they see him as a holdover, sort of like a Pompeo type figure, and Pompeo is extremely controversial in the sort of hardcore magas circles, controversial with people like Don Junior and Tucker Carlson, who will also look at someone like Michael Waltz, even if they don't say it publicly, privately, with skepticism and not complete in total trust.
Speaker 6: Like Waltz was signaling to the Ukrainians that he was gonna, you know, push for more war support, you know, ahead of Besent and fans and other people's trips to the region where they were pursuing Trump's policy.
Speaker 1: No, We're going to end this war.
Speaker 6: So like every everywhere around the world where if there's if there's a war on the table, Waltz is for it, whereas the others are kind of pushing back against it. So yeah, that it's it's feeding into that internal internal fight, right and.
Speaker 4: Even for the people who agree with him ideologically, I think he's going to find out that it's it's very very hard to take your boss seriously or your peer seriously at the you know, cabinet level when that's what's happening.
Speaker 6: Especially when he's doing interviews like that. He elsewhere he said, like, you know, isn't it interesting that this you know, terrible, horrible, devious reporter information was he was the one that happened to be sucked in to this this loser, this loser, like as if that there was some deep state conspiracy to like foist Jeffrey Goldberg onto this group chat, that it wasn't just Waltz who fat thumbed him in there recklessly right well, and and then added Witcough for no reason, like I look like wit Coough, like he's there's no insult to him.
Speaker 1: He's not on a need to know basis about the timing of the strikes on Yemen.
Speaker 5: He's Middle East envoy.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but he doesn't have any operational control over like what you're going to bomb in Yemen.
Speaker 4: I suppose it's possible that if he's in the middle of seasfire negotiations, they would want to wrap him into that if he's communicating with.
Speaker 1: Wrap it on this signal chat while he's in Moscow.
Speaker 5: No signal chat. He seems let alone if he's in Moscow.
Speaker 6: He seemed to not know that he was in Moscow. He said he didn't know he was in Moscow. It's a noble thing. It's in the news.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's also again the National Security Advisors.
Speaker 1: He's not reading his briefings.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, it's I mean, it's it's all completely ridiculous, but it's I think also probably going to turn out for Waltz. That my prediction is that he just resigns after a while, But that'll be a significant loss for the Lindsay Grahams of the world, which is probably why they're doubling down, because it's going to be hard to find another person that is sort of has the ideologically Waltz but also the confidence of Trump and Trump world. That's actually why I think.
Speaker 6: Lindsay there's plenty of people in who have those leanings. Trump doesn't trust a lot of them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, even like a Robert O'Brien or a Mike Pompeo. Those people are not, you know, totally trusted by the Don Juniors, the Tucker Carlson's.
Speaker 5: So it's hard to find somebody.
Speaker 4: Who just gets is even able to get along with that Wing gets along with Pete Hegseth as we saw in the signal chat.
Speaker 5: So, I mean this story is wild.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's just I guess two last points on our buddies. Heg Seth and Vance.
Speaker 6: Here heg Seth, we were told that he had this come to Jesus moment around america First policy, that he was no longer this strident war supporter. Around twenty sixteen seventeen, he starts to come out and say it was wrong about the Iraq war, and he's wrong about America's kind of muscular.
Speaker 1: Policeman role in the world. And on this group.
Speaker 6: Chat he's a he is he wants the US to be the policeman for the world, but he's just a little bit bitter about it that because he doesn't like Europe, Like that's like, that's pretty weak. And then on Vance like it's it was nice to see him stand up and make an anti war argument. But then immediately he's like, well, never mind, if everybody wants to do it, then go ahead and do it, which is like, well, what's your point, like, what's your role here? Like and if you think that this war is inconsistent with Trump's vision for the world, which he said it was, and that we haven't sold it to the American public, you have Trump's number, call the guy up.
Speaker 5: He may have I mean, I mean on the thread, he just he muggled Yeah, he bucked.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean the times, the time gaps probably the best way to say it. Between It's a little unclear to me because I think at one point there was a full day that went by, right and.
Speaker 1: Maybe called him that night. I didn't seem like it though.
Speaker 4: No idea, Yeah, no idea, but such as the life of a vice president. But yeah, Also, he was trying to be persuasive, which is another interesting point of it. He's trying to be persuasive to Hei Seth, trying to be persuasive. So who I mean, it's interesting with Heike Seth how he recommends that the as Walts is asking for points of contact, he recommends Dan Caldwell.
Speaker 5: It was someone very much from.
Speaker 4: The like skeptical the world of skeptics of American imperial escapades. So there's they're interesting. They're genuinely interesting tensions in Trump world. And this was some interesting insight before we wrap though, Ryan, any of the conspiracy theories holding water with you, they aren't really with me that this was intentional.
Speaker 5: This was a planned leak.
Speaker 1: We saw, It's clear how it happened. He had accidentally to the thing.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and then yeah, did they have the story ready like four days ago, and hold it so that it would have maximum impact right before these hearings. Sure we have a quick breaking update. We can put this element up on the screen. So the question of what Pete Hegseth was sending has now been answered.
Speaker 1: We'll discuss this more on the program. I'll be on with Sager tomorrow. But here you can look. You can see it here.
Speaker 6: Pete Hagsath says, team update time now eleven forty four Eastern time, weather is favorable. Okay, that's not classified, just confirmed with Sentcom we were a go for mission launch.
Speaker 1: That sounds classified.
Speaker 6: Twelve fifteen et F eighteen's launch first strike package sounds classified. Thirteen forty five trigger based F eighteen first strike windows starts target terrorist is at his known location, so should be on time. Okay, so if Russia sees this, you're now telling them at one forty five Eastern time you're going to target this particular terrorist.
Speaker 1: Also, and you know, so everybody can just go hide anyway.
Speaker 6: Fourteen ten more F eighteen's launch second strike package fourteen to fifteen strike drones on target. This is when the first will definitely drop, pending earlier trigger based targets fifteen thirty six F eighteen second Strike starts. Also first sea based Tomahawks launched. More to follow uper timeline. We are currently clean on OPSEC, which, of course you have to end AD anytime.
Speaker 1: Your opsec is utterly filthy and lazy. Godspeed to our warriors, all right, So we'll have more on this unfolding idiot gait tomorrow.
Speaker 4: Ryan some really interesting and timely new reporting and drop site on doctor Oz's plans for Medicare.
Speaker 6: Yes, doctor Oz wants to privatize medicare. Let's put up this this tear sheet from Alexander's Achik investigation that we published over at drop site, and we can we'll come back to this in a moment to explain the details of this privatization plan, which is not a hair brained scheme that has little chance of success. Our assessment is that it is very he is quite likely to be able to actually pull this off if there's no if there's no resistance to it. But so put a B two his He cruised through his Senate confirmation hearing yesterday.
Speaker 1: It was this one of these interesting situations.
Speaker 6: Where the hearing needed hearing room was busy doing some soial security stuff and it couldn't ethis.
Speaker 1: They met on the Senate floor.
Speaker 6: They kind of go off to the side of the Senate floor and they just kind of like hold a vote, and.
Speaker 1: So he's so he moved. He moves forward.
Speaker 6: And here is a bit from previously when they did have the hearing rooms.
Speaker 1: Can will be three here.
Speaker 15: Doctor Oz has years of experience as an acclaimed physician and public health advocate. His background makes him uniquely qualified to manage the intricacies of CMS. At his hearing, doctor Oz discussed his vision to ensure CMS provides Americans with access to superb care, especially our most vulnerable patients. I look forward to working with him, if confirmed, to accomplish this goal. I was also encouraged to hear that he will focus on modernizing federal healthcare programs, work to fix our broken clinician payment system, and will partner with Congress to achieve pharmaceutical Benefit Manager reform. There is no doubt that doctor Oz will work tirelessly to deliver much needed change at CMS. I will be voting in favor of his nomination, and I encourage my colleagues on both sides of the aisle to do the same.
Speaker 6: Okay, So on the Medicare privatization scheme that doctor Oz is pushing and we can we can put up B one again just for a few seconds so people can see this again.
Speaker 1: You can go read the full story to get all all the details of it.
Speaker 5: And can I ask you you just said is pushing.
Speaker 4: Like currently this is something that he right now believes in his capacity of this job.
Speaker 1: Yes, he can push, yes, and he does not need legislation to do it.
Speaker 6: And so here's how so if you're if you're older, you know somebody old, you probably I've heard of Medicare advantage which now roughly half of seniors on Medicare have what are called Medicare advantage plans. So these are administered by private companies which are given a set amount of money by the government and then if they can deliver care for the way they profit is by delivering care that costs less than that. The way they sell it to you is they say, we're going to do preventive stuff.
Speaker 1: You know, we're going to make sure that you get your checkups.
Speaker 6: We're going to keep you healthy because to us, we profit if you don't use health care services. And in order to not use health care services that means you're healthy. That's great, Like if that is, if that is how you keep health care costs down, that's what everybody wants. People don't want necessarily cheap or affordable healthcare services. What they would like is no healthcare services. You don't want to be in the doctor's office or the hospital. What happens in practice, though, is that it's much easier to just deny people care. That it's because it's much harder to upfront make sure that people are staying healthier. Now, Medicare, actual regular Medicare is not allowed to advertise, it's not allowed.
Speaker 1: To go out and recruit people to its program.
Speaker 6: Medicare Advantage spends a lot of its money advertising its Medicare Advantage plans, and they say, join us because you're going to we'll give you dental envision and we'll deliver groceries to you. Like they have these all these other little pluses that when you're healthy, you're like, oh, that sounds great, and so they sign up for these privatized plans and then they love it until they come to actually use the plan, you're like, oh, that's not a network. The only in network person is like one hundred and twenty miles from here, that's not coverable, and so you get the typical private insurance nightmares. But even in your even in your public health care plan, and now you're stuck in this.
Speaker 1: Now you're stuck in the situation.
Speaker 6: Doctor Oz has been a pitchman for Medicare advantage for many, many years, like on his programs, And because Medicare advantage there is so much profit in signing these old folks up to it. They would go out and they would hire these pitchmen all over the country say, look, you bring us somebody. We'll pay you, like you get a finder's fee, like the same way if you, you know, sign somebody up for squarespace or whatever on your podcast and you get ten bucks. Like sign sign somebody up for Medicare advantage. Who watched doctor oz show, We'll give you two thousand dollars or whatever it is. There's an enormous amount of money in signing somebody up for Medicare advantage.
Speaker 1: So he's been entangled with this for a very long time.
Speaker 6: He also, of course owns I think he owns something like six hundred thousand dollars. And you had Hellstock, which he has said he would sell you.
Speaker 1: They're a significant player in Medicare advantage.
Speaker 6: Now, the irony is that doctor Oz's ability to privatize Medicare comes from the Affordable Care Act. Obamacare set up these pilot programs that said, because one of the driving impulses of Obamacare was how do we deliver better healthcare for less? And so they say, we're going to set up a pilot program, and if this private company or this nonprofit can show that it actually is making people healthier, then we will expand.
Speaker 1: Access to that program.
Speaker 6: And so there are a number of pilot programs that are running through what's called CMMI Medicare and Medicated Innovation I think it's called. And what almost all of them are finding is that Medicare advantage delivers worse outcomes for more money, yet the private companies make decent, healthy profits off the top of it.
Speaker 1: That's what the pilot programs are showing.
Speaker 6: All doctor Oz will have to do is come in with a rubber stamp that says successful and rubber stamp those projects. And it's a subjective decision that will be left to doctor Oz to say, I find these to be successful.
Speaker 1: And then boom.
Speaker 6: They are wide open to everyone indic in Medicare advantage, and then the last thing they would have to do is just default every senior into Medicare advantage and make them kind of actively move out of that into regular Medicare. And because Medicare has no capacity to advocate for itself, within a couple of years, you would go from fifty percent of people on Medicare advantage to almost everybody on Medicare advantage. And by then, once you're down to ten twenty percent of people on Medicare proper, it no longer is able, doesn't have the economies of scale anymore, and it just completely collapses and we're left with privatized Medicare.
Speaker 4: And so my personal perspective on is why our healthcare system is the worst of both worlds. You end up with the worst of a market system or for quote unquote free market system and the worst of a bureaucratic.
Speaker 5: System, and you have these like halfway measures.
Speaker 4: It's such a disaster, such a good example of why it's a disaster. But also Ryan, you mentioned it doesn't this doesn't have to go through Congress.
Speaker 6: Right because the authority for it is vested in the Affordable Care Act, which already went through Congress.
Speaker 5: That's interesting.
Speaker 6: So the ACA says, if these pilot programs are successful, they can be then expanded by the head of CMS, And the head of CMS runs CMMI, which runs these pilot programs. And so Obama gave doctor Oz the power to privatize Medicare.
Speaker 5: Why isn't why isn't Doge taking it away?
Speaker 6: That's actually a very good point. The Department of Justice is currently suing a bunch of Medicare advantage scammers to the tune of tens and hundreds of billions of dollars.
Speaker 1: Like it.
Speaker 6: If Elon Musk and Doge or whoever is running Doge Doja wanted Doggy wanted to Doggy wanted to actually sniff out some real savings and some real waste fraud and abuse. Uh, Medicare advantage is one of the first places anybody serious about going after fraud would go. Instead, we're going to just expand it to what doctor Oz calls Medicare advantage for all. So yes, if you're serious about waste for an abuse, this is the place to go.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, yet they're not, so draw your own conclusions.
Speaker 4: Trump's that the guy Trump picked to head up Social Security. His name is Franks. No, no, he's CEO of five Serve actually, which is an interesting personal plot from But anyway, meanwhile, this is just yesterday. He is saying that they will you restore any customer service glitches, but they're not going to cut Social Security. Donald Trump has said obviously that's his red line. But you can see how the plan is pitched to something a little bit different, right that Donald Trump might not look at that and say, okay, this is cutting right, like it's it's actually something that you could see being pitched to him and him going along with yeah.
Speaker 1: And Trump is a pitch man, like it's like doctor Oz. Yeah. The only reason.
Speaker 6: That Trump hasn't sold medicare advantage plans and nobody got in front of them with the idea, and maybe they did, we just don't know about it. But yeah, Trump would understand this. Oh, so we're going to offer them some surface level benefits. You know, we'll mail you a toothbrush and you can get groceries delivered, and you get you get dental coverage. Good luck trying to use that dental coverage, by the way, but it looks good. It sounds good, and then we get to keep all the money by denying them care.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Like it's it's like a classic scheme that a private equity company can use because of this massive asymmetric warfare. On the one hand, you've got a private equity company with a bunch of mckensey level quant geeks who have these spreadsheets in front of them and figuring out how best to maximize their profits. And on the other hand you have on the other side of Ledger, you have grandma and grandpa who are just going to get just annihilated in that competition like that, that's not a market place that's going to be fair.
Speaker 4: All right, Well, that's one to watch because he's headed to the full full floor and it's likely to pass.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we'll see.
Speaker 4: Let's move on to the FBI, which is not too far from where we're filming this, and I'm sure it's not pleased with the news. Though it was certainly expected that everything related to the Crossfire Hurricane investigation, that was the FBI's investigation into whether or not Russia interfered with the twenty sixteen election. Very specifically, they would say it was broad but and you know, Russia did interfere with the twenty sixteen election, just not on the magnitude that they pitched to the press and into the public over the course of years, but more specifically into whether Donald Trump colluded with the Kremlin in order to win the twenty sixteen election. We can go ahead and roll this clip of Donald Trump officially ordering the declassification of everything related to Crossfire Hurricane yesterday.
Speaker 16: Next, here we have a presidential memorandum for your attention. This memorandum requires the immediate declassification of all FBI files relating to the Crossfire Hurricane investigation. This was obviously one of the instances of the weaponization of law enforcement powers of prosecution against you and others. We believe that it's long pastime for the American people to have a full and complete understanding of what exactly is in those files, which.
Speaker 7: Gives the media the right to go in and go and check it. You probably won't bother because you're not going to like what you say. But this was total weaponization. It's a disgrace. It never happened in this country. But now you'll be able to see for yourselves. I'll declassify. Is that correct?
Speaker 4: You said?
Speaker 7: All the Plassy everything.
Speaker 16: The FBI file with a there's a classified annext. But other than that, this will put everything in the public eye.
Speaker 4: So ran I think Russia Gate is sort of like COVID at this point. There are people who are still like myself, extremely interested in knowing what happened, but the general public is kind of tuned out of it. So I'm not sure that this is some sort of grave threat to the FBI, because I don't know that it's going to generate major embarrassing news cycles. But surely it will generate some embarrassing embarrassing information.
Speaker 5: This is from CNN.
Speaker 4: They write this led to a behind the scenes scramble as Republican aids and Trump officials work to collect and redact a binder filled with highly classified material. Trump officially declassified that material in January nineteenth, twenty twenty one, during his last full day in office, but the documents were never made public. An unredacted copy of the binder ended up mysteriously peering, as CNN first reported in twenty twenty three. Among the binder's contents were reams of information about the Russian investigation, including highly sensitive raw intelligence the US and its NATO allies collected on Russians and Russian agents that informed the US government's assessment that Russian President Vladimir Putin sought to help Trump win the twenty sixteen election. That material is likely to be redacted in the documents that are being released publicly. Interestingly enough, Trump says keep those reactions. But CNN goes on to say the binder also included classified information about the FBI's problematic foreign intelligence surveillance warrants on Trump campaign advisor from twenty seventeen, interview notes with Christopher Steele, and internal FBI and DOJ text messages and emails. And that's important because some of the most damning information to come out of any investigation into Crossfire Hurricane has been from the Peter Struck Lisa Page text messages were Struck talked about the FBI having an insurance policy against Donald Trump winning the election, and the other thing. Let's put this next element up on the screen. This is a tweet from Mike Davis, who if you watch Bannon and war Room, you've seen many times he pointed out, and I didn't know this. I checked it afterwards. He pointed out that Judge Bosburg, who is now at the center of the entire fight over the deportation flights that he.
Speaker 5: Ordered turned around.
Speaker 4: He was on the FISA court and ignored the sentencing recommendation for imprisonment and actually gave an FBI attorney named Kevin Klin Smith, who again people who are very deep in the Russia gatehoaks remember his name very much. They gave him probation instead of imprisonment. He forged an email to use as evidence to surveil Carter Page, an American citizen, and this judge is the one who went with probation over imprisonment on it. So such a crazy not of different things going on here that that thread I would not familiar with at all.
Speaker 5: I did not realize Bosberg had any part in that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that prosecutorial misconduct of that level needs some level of serious punishment.
Speaker 5: Mm hmm.
Speaker 6: And that's like the left left have been screaming about prosecutoral overreach, you know, four I mean hundreds of years. It's partly how you get the radical Bill of Rights in there. But yeah, so to like completely let him off the hook with just probation is prettyres So on the other guy's life was destroyed, I guess but you can't do that. You cannot you can't frame people up in this in these secret courts to get the government spying on a campaign outrageous.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but you know, I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't know about you, but I just like, I think it's great do classify it. It's kind of interesting that Trump wants to keep some of the redactions that may be embarrassing, that may look like, you know, Putin was saying nice things about him or something like that. So that's interesting. But also I just don't. I don't know that this have a massive political impact. Maybe it will because the binder did mysteriously go missing, and the documents were never made public during the course of the Biden administration, So.
Speaker 5: Maybe there's something.
Speaker 4: Maybe they're blockbusters in here, but I don't, and I suspect there's like genuinely very important information. I just don't think it the public reacts to it in the same way that people like me.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm looking forward to anytime there's the classification.
Speaker 4: I'm good with it, and then we can see what Cash Fattel does with it.
Speaker 1: There you go.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 4: Representative Jasmine Crockett is apologizing for making this remark about Texas Governor Greg Abbott. Obviously he's a Republican. Take a listen, and then we'll show you the apology.
Speaker 17: We in these hot ass Texas streets. Honey, y'all know we got Governor hot Wheels down there.
Speaker 5: Come on now, and the.
Speaker 17: Only thing hot about him is that he is a hot ass mess, honey. So so yes, yes, yes.
Speaker 5: Governor hot Wheels is kind of funny. I'm it's kind of funny. I think Greg Abbott should own it. He should roll with it. I did not mean to say that. I genuinely did not mean to say that.
Speaker 4: But he actually he should put like he's just her fundraising off of it right like there, he probably already is.
Speaker 5: It's funny, It's fine.
Speaker 4: Jess mccrockett then apologized, we can put this up on the screen. She was speaking there in a human rights campaign event, and this is what she posted yesterday. I wasn't thinking about the governor's condition. I was thinking about the planes, trains and automobiles.
Speaker 5: This is such bullshit.
Speaker 4: He used to transfer migrants into communities by black mayors, deliberately staking tension and fear among the bulls most vulnerable. Literally, the next line, I said, was that he was a hot ass mess, referencing his terrible policies. At no point did I mention or allude to his conditions, So I mean more appalled that the very people unequivocally support Trump, a man known for racially insensitive nicknames and talking those with disabilities, are now outraged. So Jasmine Crockett, who apologizes kind of not really.
Speaker 5: I don't know if we can call that an apology.
Speaker 4: Actually, now that I'm reading it, it was sort of taken as an apology by people because it's her, But what it actually is is her denying that she said anything about it. And now she's saying she's offended by people who are pretending to be offended.
Speaker 5: So I guess if she's if she's.
Speaker 4: Not retracting the statement, then good for Jasmine Crockett, because that was funny.
Speaker 6: At the end, she's saying that, why are you all offended when you say similar things about, you know, all kinds of marginalized people.
Speaker 1: Yet I wasn't saying that, which is it's amazing funny contradiction.
Speaker 4: It's a it's a total Yeah, that's quite a contradiction.
Speaker 6: I think she should have just leaned all the way into the last part of that, it's like, who do you think you are to try to complain about me? Like, the number one thing you're excited about from Trump winning is that you're now allowed to say retard. So that's the kind of middle school level like cruelty that you're engaging in, and you're upset that I said hot wheels.
Speaker 4: El Musk has been tweeting that word like constantly, which again like it's a she's her point about people who are now pretending to be offended is entirely valid. I mean, I personally can't stand in dravestmic Crocket, but that's a perfectly legitimate point that she can make from a political perspective, like, go.
Speaker 1: For it now.
Speaker 6: I was offended as a consumer of comedy because I hate when people their punchline is based on something that they manufactured one second earlier. Her punchline, he's a hot mess is based on hot ass, brand new monicer, hot ass mess, her brand new moniker of him as governor hot wheels. So you just made the governor hot wheels moniker, and then you're joking about it two seconds later. Your jokes are supposed to be about things other people say, So that's why I'm offended as a consumer media because I think it's it's you're manufacturing the like ability to make that punchline, and I think I actually apologize.
Speaker 5: She shed apologize for that, but she.
Speaker 1: As always she delivers it in an entertaining way. Yeah, so and the audience.
Speaker 6: And on the other hand, comedy is as it's received by the audience. The audience was laughing, therefore it's funny.
Speaker 5: I mean, she never apologize for whatever.
Speaker 4: I mean, her being sort of punted into the stratosphere was after the blonde, butch built body whatever the hell that was, which was also hilarious by the way, and it's her of tragic comic way, But she didn't apologize for that. So I get why people interpreted this as an apology because she said, I wasn't thinking about the governor's condition. I was thinking about the planes, trains and automobiles I used to transform. Like, I get why people interpret it that way because she was very obviously talking about his conditions, so she's she's clearly walking it back. But man, she should have definitely just owned this and said like, hey, it was a joke.
Speaker 5: Yeah, why are you so offended?
Speaker 1: Snowflakes, right, And there's nothing wrong with being a wheelchair, it's just.
Speaker 4: He should he should one hundred percent be fundraising off of it. This is her brand. But if you're gonna, if you're gonna be like brash, and you should tell people if they're if they can't dish it out, then they if they can't take it, then they should stop.
Speaker 5: Dishing it out.
Speaker 1: And I also think.
Speaker 6: Seriously that Crockett needs more, She needs to break out of that she's she's too wrapped up in pure culture. Yeah, and she's going to miss the moment she's going to be able to like have be a niche figure who's like very popular on MSNBC. But if she's constantly retreating to like, for instance, like did she have to like where did this shoehorning in of the thing where there are black mayors? Yeah, Like they're sending migrants to places with black mayors. I just they also send him to like what Cape cod or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, probably a white mayor.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna guess, like I haven't looked that up, but Martha's vineyard man, Martha's vineyard mayor.
Speaker 1: I don't know. We could be wrong, absolutely could be wrong. There was that, there was that stretch where you had, you know, upstate New York represented by three black members of Congress.
Speaker 6: So it's possible. But the point is, what is Crockett like, why does she have to do that?
Speaker 1: Like, how does that?
Speaker 6: How does that help her if and I think it's going to put a ceiling on her ability to kind of reach a broader audience.
Speaker 5: Yep, it's hard to disagree with that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, she's obviously charismatic, but her she's too often distracts from her own substance. I think that's a good like in the way that you're saying, like there's actually you don't have to shoehorn identity politics into absolutely.
Speaker 5: Everything fits go for it.
Speaker 4: But well, in fact, that's what I think Bernie Sanders and alexandri Ocasio Cortez are currently testing out or showing the example of, is that you can make these arguments without shoehorning these other arguments in to show some type of fealty or to be signaling constantly like hey.
Speaker 5: I'm on your team. On your team, you just make the argument.
Speaker 1: Talk to if it was a white mayor, you'd be fine with it. Yeah, Like, what don't you just just ends up being confusing anyway.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, all right, well, Ryan, let's move on to our interview with the College Democrats.
Speaker 6: One thing that all Democrats seem to agree on is that they have a huge problem with young people nowadays. From my present, one of the problems they have is the kind of young people that they have representing them publicly. But who better to kind of try to walk us through the problem that they're having than the president and the vice president of the College Democrats, who got President soun Jay Mori La Tharn and so how and vice and so Hollyvadula. Thank you both for joining us and maybe we'll maybe we'll figure this problem out.
Speaker 1: What do you guys think?
Speaker 8: That was great to me. Thank you so much for having us.
Speaker 6: All Right, So, there's a special election down in Texas that that we want to get into to replace Shila Jackson Lee and I guess that's the Houston area. But and and we'll talk about that because there there is a particularly cringe duo or trio running running in that race that is going to be fun to go through. But but first, the Harry Sisson is kind of blowing up through some utterly bizarre scandal. Uh, we can put this first New York Post element up on the screen. D n c's favorite TikToker, Harry sistmcuse of lying to women to get them to send nudes. Another problem seems to be the existence of a Harry Sism for Democrats. Like, so, let's talk about this even before the scandal, before the scandal, Let's talk about the problem of cringe and corruption among kind of the young influencer dem class soon, Jay, Like, why don't you start, like, how do we wind up in a place that the types of cringe folks that we see representing gen Z have become kind of the face of the party in a way that I would suspect is probably a turn off to.
Speaker 5: Most young people and young men in particular.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I.
Speaker 18: Think I don't want to briefly just set the scene, you know, So, Holly and I we overseee the close Democrats of America just effectively the largest Democratic leaning youth organization in the country, or the members are kind of like the grassroots foot soldiers of the party who're knocking on doors, you know, sending out texts, kind of doing the work that no one else likes to do.
Speaker 8: Commonly for free, and I think that.
Speaker 18: Since we're doing all this hard work, it's imperative that we get proper representation and kind of, as you mentioned, that simply is not the case. And I think the best way to go touch is that there's two major dominant camps within the influencer like the youth influencer space. I would say one which are the people who are the problem. They're simply power, tis right. The reason why these people are propped up is because they say not what young people believe, but what people in power want young people to believe. Right, They'll follow whatever's politically expedient. They'll pretend to be Chuck Schumer or Joe Biden. If it being's that, you know, they'll be able to improve their careers. And I'm thinking of people like you know, Harry Systems. You mentioned Olivia Juliana and Isaiah Martin, which we'll get into later. Then the latter camp is kind of the camp that I'm more favorable to, who are individuals who represent the interests of gen Z even when they're not politically expedient. I'm thinking of, you know, my good friend DNC vice chair David Hogg, Jack co Chiarella a San Piker are kind of the names that stick out. And what's really interesting is the latter three that I mentioned are actually more successful. You know, David hoggs DNC vice chair at twenty four, and that's because he actually was willing to be unapologetic sometimes. You know, he might make mistakes here and there, but he actually cares about you know, the cause.
Speaker 8: It's true.
Speaker 18: Same with jack O Charla and Hassan Piker, who are both larger influencers who are growing, unlike the likes of Harry Sislm and the Olivia Juliana who are both presently losing steam.
Speaker 6: And so, Holly, what does this propping up look like in practice? Like have and have have you seen it?
Speaker 19: Like?
Speaker 6: Have you like let's say you wanted to be come like.
Speaker 4: Well there was that whole influencer like room at the see remember they had an influencer lounge.
Speaker 6: We weren't allowed annoying it, right, But let's say you wanted to be comma stooge for like the d n C.
Speaker 1: Like how available is that to young people like yourself? And like what are they? What do they ask you to say? And then we're going to get into Olivia Juliana and Isaiah, because I think it ends up becoming kind of.
Speaker 20: Clear popping up looks very similar to kind of how like the establishment is like given talking points and like lines to parrot.
Speaker 5: It's very similar to that.
Speaker 20: Olivia Juliana, like she went viral, she had a lot of followers, and the party decided to capitalize on that, and since then she's not only been paid by the DNC, like according to FEC records, she's also been paid by the Alrid campaign in Texas to be like a youth outreach spokesperson. And so I think people are just trying to capitalize on the following that they have. Harry System was making tiktoks long before the DANC hired him, and they just wanted to capitalize on the momentum. But the problem is not just them propping these people up, because obviously they should hire people with big followings, right, But the issue is that once they do so, these influencers are going to be monetized and so their opinions are like pretty much bought and paid for from that point forward, and so we don't really know what these people are truly like trying to say or what they truly believe because they're just not authentic anymore.
Speaker 5: And you can see that.
Speaker 20: So clearly because four years ago I was one of Olivia Giuliana's biggest fans because she was very progressive and she was unapologetically like outspoken about the things that she cared about. And you know, lo and behold fast forward a few years, like now I don't really like her anymore, you know, because she does not stand for the same things that she did four years ago. Into back in twenty twenty, she propped up Joe Biden when literally ever one and their mom was calling on him to step down.
Speaker 5: It's pretty clear.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so let's let's let's roll So Olivi Juliana is now a campaign manager whatever she is, for this this other gen z uh whatever you call him, uh candidate in this Texas race.
Speaker 1: So let's let's roll this.
Speaker 6: This Instagram clip that they posted to, you know, sort of get their campaign off the ground.
Speaker 19: Guys, I'm here with my best friend Isaiah Martin, who's running for Congress, and ask someone who is on the campaign team, working day in and.
Speaker 5: Day out to make sure that he wins.
Speaker 19: I feel fantastic, Josh.
Speaker 5: How do you feel how do you feeling feeling good?
Speaker 18: Yeah, yep, yep.
Speaker 5: This is a.
Speaker 19: People focused, people powered campaign. We want this to be the most accessible congressional race in the country. We're gonna be trying new digital and messaging strategies that no other campaign has done before. Isaiah doesn't feel entitled to your vote just because he's a Democrat, just because he's young. You shouldn't have to support him for those things. We're gonna be working to convince you and earn your trust and show you that he's not going to be a spectator in Congress. He's going to be a fighter because we need Democrats.
Speaker 5: With the what Isaiah, he bucked it out trying it. We need democrats.
Speaker 4: I just need to say, for the life of me, I do not know how this happened, because this is what Republican millennial influencers were doing when I was in college. It was the exact same level of cringe and Dems were laughing their asses off at the Republican influencers. We didn't call them influencers at the time, but I like, it is just unfathomable how quickly this wish.
Speaker 6: The bottom has just completely fallen out, and if anybody.
Speaker 1: Doesn't believe it.
Speaker 6: After that, let's roll this is the campaign, it's a piece of the campaign. Ad that Isaiah Martin launched to get this campaign off the ground is like that, the more formal one.
Speaker 21: Let's let's roll that Donald Trump's done nothing for you, not for your family, not for your paychecks, and not for your future. Once so long ago that he promised you zero income texts a dollar and something for gas and two dollars eggs assist he's been in office, You've got none of that. Prices are up and jobs are down. You're working harder than ever, while Trump and his friends get richer than ever. It's left you asking yourself the question of who's fighting for me? I mean, seriously, who's fighting for you? It's certainly not Donald Trump. It's not the Republicans that shake your hand and ask.
Speaker 8: For your vote then do nothing for you.
Speaker 21: You see, they want you distract, they want you angry at your neighbors, so you don't pay attention to what they're really doing.
Speaker 1: Because if you see.
Speaker 21: Them for what they are, you know that Trump's America doesn't work for you. Things are bad, writer, you know that, and I know that they're throwing everything at you. So now's the time to be bold and fight fire with fire. You see, I believe in a democratic party that has a spine, a party that stands for something, a party that fights back, because, after all, we're the party that won World War two, were the party that gave you social security, the party that's built the strongest economy in the history of mankind.
Speaker 6: Okay, so he's gonna stand up or he's gonna fight fire with fire, the guy with the spine, So what is the fire? Can you tell us what his campaign is articulating it will do in office? What are the policy positions that Isaiah Martin's campaign is running on.
Speaker 18: So so many You can see them all listed on his website where he has a whopping zero policy mentioned, which sad me, it.
Speaker 8: Is just crazy.
Speaker 18: I don't think you can claim that you have a spine and then run a campaign with no policies. But I think the best way to look at this is to see what information is public about isam or right?
Speaker 8: And to put it.
Speaker 18: Simply, you know, there's no policy or priorities on his website, but when you google his name, you know on FEC records you can see that in this past congresional campaign for those of you who don't know he's run for the seat before, and it shows that he spent a whopping twelve thousand dollars on United Airlines fly tickets. Now, I don't know, I've never run for Congress before, but I don't think you need to fly from one end of your district to the other hand, like and spend thousands upon thousands.
Speaker 8: Upon thousands of dollars for it.
Speaker 18: So, to me, what I think the priority of this campaign is, you know, kind of pretending to care about youth issues, kind of casting the same old age old playbook that doesn't work and sprinkling a youth veil on it. Kind of representing gen Z in a way that simply doesn't represent them. And I think to me this, I mean, as someone who's like, you know, democratically elected by calls students across the country, I think that when you say you have a spy and you have to back it up, you know. So, Holly and I were part of the administration and Cause Democrats of America that spoke out against Biden's policy is in Israel because we felt that it was going to hurt him in the election cycle, and that's what happened that. Honestly, I hate to say it, but we were right. So I think that this, simply put, this is just regurgitation of the playbook of you know, Schumer, Biden and people in the past, trying to pretend that it's new and novel with someone who happens to be a number of gen Z.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and so, Holly, I've seen you criticize Isaiah Martin's campaign for maybe he hasn't said in this campaigns he hasn't articulated any kind of policy ideas yet other than defending social security, but he has been pretty vocally supportive of Israel's assault.
Speaker 1: So what like, where does that stand.
Speaker 6: When it comes to a kind of a a gen z An articulation of a gen Z approach to politics.
Speaker 20: I think gen Z just cares a lot more like about the world, and I think that when it comes to these human rights violations, we are outspoken about it, like we are on apologetically going to say we think and what we think is well, you know, while most of gen Z's out on the streets protesting about these war crimes that our government is implicit in, Isaiah Martin's out here villainizing like student testers that are for the most part very peaceful. I think that is just a huge turn off becauset the end of the day, like you know, Gaza was a big issue and the reason that Democrats lost so many voters selection cycle, especially young people. And it's not because we voted for Trump. It's actually because a lot of us stayed home. And if people don't realize that and don't learn from their mistakes, like we're not going to win. And Isaiah Martin is most definitely not going to be representing gen Z very accurately if he's going to go buy that playbook, because he's not Biden, he's not Schumer, right, like he's twenty seven, Like.
Speaker 5: He has a lot of potential.
Speaker 20: He could really use this moment to do a lot for young people if he did it right. But he's not. And if you look at his video you can see that, like there's no substance in there. He just said Trump bad the entire time. I don't really know what it means to have a spine for him.
Speaker 4: And speaking of Chuck Schumer, we've seen Alexandria Kosio Kortez tag along with Bernie Sanders in the aftermath of Chuck Schumer's decision not to shut down the government, we've seen Democrats flooding Republican districts and going to their town halls, I think, very effectively. So I'm curious for both your perspectives as to whether that ma feels like it's opening things up a little bit. That you know, Democrats nationally, the Democratic Party leadership is more open to at least maybe indulging the populist rhetoric and allowing people to or or maybe I guess, let's put it this way, understanding the political value of the more populist rhetoric of sort of pushing back on the establishment. There was that poll what was this last week of the week before Ryan that found Democratic Party voters actually upset with the party at levels that are historically have historically not been seen recently. So are you guys sensing I mean you you guys would be in a position to sort of get a sense.
Speaker 5: Do you think that's opening things up?
Speaker 8: I think just got to contextualize.
Speaker 18: So, so, Holly and I, as VP and President claus On Recruts of America, we are one of the four hundred and forty eight DNC members who which has two major powers, one being super delegance and two being able to cast a vote in officer elections.
Speaker 8: And I'm gonna be honest.
Speaker 18: I'm very positive kind of about the where the direction of this officer team has taken us with largely because it's a major shift from I think the kind of corporate esque attitude that we're used to. You know, Ken Martin, who leads a DNC now is someone who comes from a union background. He's from Minnesota, into the state that produced Tim Wolls, that is one of the most progressive states in the country despite having such a slim majority.
Speaker 8: But it's not just him.
Speaker 18: You also have, you know, DNC a vice chair David Hogg, someone who's built their career off running young people for positions of power. You have UH state Senator or state Assemblyman Malcolm Kenyatta, who was the person who primary John Fetterman like that guy is sitting in a DNC vice chair seat. You have Arty Blanco who's a DNC vice chair who's in charge of the political wing of the fl CIO. Another union person I'm and Chosty Conrad sitting on an associate chair seat who is one of the most progressive state chairs in the country. So I think that this new board is very different from what we're used to and kind of they're a lot more open, goint of indulging the ideas of kind of Sully and I have of like, hey, what if in order to turn out gen Z, you actually represent gen Z. And I think that they understand that a lot better than the leadership that was in power prior to the time that I served.
Speaker 8: Just call subcuts America President.
Speaker 1: Well soon, Jay so Holly fighting an uphill battle to make the Democratic Party a less awful institution.
Speaker 6: But we applaud your civic efforts. Thank you so much for joining us. Hopefully we've we've figured out this form over substance problem that Democrats seem to have with gen Z. Now, Palestinian journalists Hosam Shabbat was deliberately targeted and assassinated yesterday in northern Gaza. Sharif abdel Cadus was his editor at drop site News.
Speaker 1: He joins us now to talk about Hossam's life and his death. Shariff, thank you for joining.
Speaker 22: Us, Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: So can you talk a little bit about who who Hassam was?
Speaker 22: Yeah, Jossem was a young journalist twenty three years old who grew up in bid Hanun, which is on the northeastern edge of Gaza. He was a correspondent for Al Jazeera Mobejir and he quickly became the face on television for millions of people around the Arab world. Because he was one of the few journalists in Gaza who remained in the north throughout the seventeen months of israel genocidal assault there was he received many threats along with his colleagues, especially another Al Jazeera correspondent, Anasta Shiv, directly from the Israeli military, telling them that they had to displace to the south because in the north was where, at certain periods where Israel really concentrated its extermination campaign, especially in October of last year, in the north of Gaza, and it was only people like Jossem and the Belief and other journalists that we really understood what was happening on the ground. And throughout these seventeen months m he witnessed the unimaginable death and suffering. Almost every single day he was displaced over twenty times. He said that he couldn't sleep, he was exhausted. He was often very hungry as Israel imposed for starvation, especially in the North, and he buried many of his colleagues and his friends over this period. And despite that, he was determined to continue to cover the genocide of his own people and with file reports almost every single day. He was very active on social media as well. And in October he was put on a list of six journalists, all in the North, all working for Al Jazeera, who say not all of them working for Eljizier, but six journalists. The Israeli military deemed them as militants and put out a list and it was essentially a hit list. And we saw the spokesperson for Israeli military, spokesperson in Arabic, his name is avihe Adrai, you know, posting videos of himself speaking, calling out, calling out Anasa Hidiev by name, and basically saying that you know you, terrorists were going to get you. And this was in October, and Josem is the first of the six to be killed. He was bombed while driving in his car and bait Lahya. Just an hour earlier, Israel had killed another journalist, Hammad Montsour of Palestine. Today. Oseam's last social media post was about Muhammad saying that another journalist had been martyred and then he was killed, and it's a very tragic loss, and his voice will be will be messed in Hosevri. You know, he wrote a letter to be published in the event of his death. He knew he was going to probably be killed, and it opens with him saying, if you're reading this, I most probably have been if you're reading this, have been killed, most probably by the Israeli occupation forces. And his colleagues and friends published that letter yesterday.
Speaker 4: Do you have any favorite memories or stories that stand out just from editing him over the course of this impossible duty that he felt he had to cover the war.
Speaker 22: I mean, he was a very warm and kind person. You know. When I asked him his age at one point, I think for the second article I was editing and I was writing a preamble for him, he wrote, you know, ha ha ha, I'm twenty four. And then he said, actually, I haven't even turned twenty four. I'm twenty three. I'm really young, right, And I said, I told him, you know, you're young in age, but in experience you have a lot of experience. But then he said, you know, I'm so tired. I'm so tired, but I'm going to keep doing this. But you know, like our last interaction, which was a few hours before he was killed, he reached out to me and he said, Habibi, I miss you. I checked in on him. How are you doing in Jabelliah? He said things are tough. He filed his peace and then he asked me when is it going to come out? So I said, Sam, I sudden need to translate it, we need to edit it. I'll get it out for you tomorrow morning. This was Sunday night, New York time, which would have been like five am his time. So he said, I want to get it out urgently. I'm going to public Can I publish it in Arabic? I said, okay, if you want to publish parts of it in Arabic, that's fine, but leave us something for drop site that's extra. And then he was like, I'm joking. I'm joking. I'll give it all to you. So he was that was kind of his yeah, his attitude, but he also was like very very determined to he did want to have his writing. He was very enthusiastic about reporting for drop sites, for having another outlet for working in print for having his work translated, and it was my honor to be a part of that. And yeah, he was killed hours later, and it was very, very shocking because I was just in touch with him, and you know, I woke up and I sent some more follow up questions for the piece. And what haunts me is I think, you know, was that message that I was sending, was his phone going off in his pocket as he was lying on the floor, dead or dying. These things haunt me, But you know, I try to remember his his work and his dedication and his contribution to the Palestinian coast.
Speaker 6: You've talked about how in December, I think it was in December where he was talking about hitting his limit almost that, talking about how much he hated what he was doing and just banging his head against the wall and screaming into a void to a world that isn't listening. At the same at the same time, like his final letter to the world is you know, don't don't give up. And and to his you know, dying day, he was he was continuing, continuing to fight, continuing to write, continuing to report.
Speaker 1: And I was also thinking about how Israel's decision to kill him.
Speaker 6: To assassinate him, in some ways undercuts the idea that what he was doing wasn't having an effect like they Why would that one of the most powerful militaries in the world feel the need to assassinate an unarmed journalist if the words he was writing and the work and what what he was sharing on social media actually didn't have any effect. So even though as we sit here we see things getting worse and worse and worse, and let's talk in a moment about the conditions on the ground there, at least from the perspective of the israelis that journalism it does still remain to be a threat. How do you answer these questions as you go through a life that sometimes seems pointless but clearly can't be if it's such a threat.
Speaker 22: Yeah, I mean those comments in December. Obviously, like anyone, he would swing between determination and de spare. When I messaged him in December to check in on him, it was after five journalists were killed in a single airstrike on their vehicle. I think it was Christmas Day, So I just checked in on him and he said, you know, I hate this world. No one is doing anything. Our job is only to die. When I speak with my colleagues now we just speak about whose turn is it next. So I think there was deep frustration the silence of the world, and we can talk about the silence of Western media institutions about people like Hossem and the more than two hundred journalists who have been killed. There isn't a level of outrage that there should be, and people like Cossem would still be alive if there was. I truly do believe that. But Hosem was effective. He was covering things where no one was there was. The first piece he filed for us was this searing account of the force displacement of Bitlahea during was essentially an extermination campaign in the very north of Gaza in October November of last year. And he was one of the very few people that was there seeing people coming out. He wasn't physically there because I don't think anyone could survive, but he was right on the outskirts seeing people come out, and he filed the story. And so yeah, I mean, the Israeli military very explicitly did not want journalists there. They kept telling them, threatening them go to the south, stop, don't report from here. And then eventually put them on this list. And then yesterday, you know, the idea of official Twitter account celebrates the killing of Hossein, says he was not a journalist, he was a terrorist. Don't let the press vest fool you. And then Avice Andrei, that despicable spokesperson in Arabic for the Isavily military, is celebrating his killing. He is put out a video of himself speaking saying again, wasn't a journalist? Who's a terrorist? Once again posting these documents they said that they discovered showing Hossem was actually a militant and a bit Hanun battalion of Hamez. This is the same military and the same guy who you know, have justified the killing of doctors, of UN workers, of children. They often released these documents purporting to show that they have proof that these journalists are not journalists. In July of last year, these really military killed Al Jazeera journalist Is Smile Rule was actually a very very close friend of Hosem's, decapitated him in the airstrike. It also killed his cameraman Romin DRIFFI. Then is really Military released a document it said it supported claims that Ismail was I received a military ranking from Hamez in two thousand and seven, when he was ten years old. This is how ridiculous their alleged claims are, and it's shameful that both the United States and Western media institutions have not spoken out against the killing of over two hundred journalists. We knew very very early on that Israel was doing something different in targeting the press this time. In the first ten weeks of the war, more journalists were killed in Gaza than had been killed in any country over an entire year, according to CPJ, So we knew that there was something different happening here, and there was not the outrage that by legacy media institutions in this country around this, and this allows for this killing to continue, and it's not only continuing, it's getting worse. Before they would deny they killed the journalists, or say it was collateral damage, that they were trying to get a Hames meltant and the journalist was unfortunate consequence of the bombing, or they would kill the journalists and then like a smile, we'll say afterwards that they were militant, and now they're openly just hunting them, saying, oh, these ones are journalists, and we're going to these ones are not journalists and we're to kill them.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so this has been allowed to happen.
Speaker 1: And with the fhlimsias of evidence.
Speaker 6: One of the documents that you reference claims that he took part in some battalion training in twenty nineteen when he would have been sixteen or seventeen years old, which, like, even in a fantasy land where we just completely accept every document that they put forward, even if it were true that there was some high school training program, like, nobody would argue that Barakravid or any other Israeli journalists who serve time in the reserves years earlier should be killed while on camera. And the other point on the question of whether or not he was a journalist, he has been doing journalism every day since October seventh and before but since then, and so every single day we have the evidence of what he is doing because he is doing it publicly, live streaming and when possible, posting to social media, writing pieces. At what point did he manage to create this secret life? And it's it's like it of course, when you start to think about it, it all, it all completely crumbles and the hope among the propagandas is that nobody will think about it because like this would you wouldn't a terrorist and then just beyond television all day, like that's like that would be a company.
Speaker 13: I think.
Speaker 22: Also, what's what's more saddening in a way, is that no one's even paying attention. That it's not being discussed whether he was a journalist or a terrorist or militant, and whether the Israeli claims are true or not. It's just he's killed and it's just normal. It's normal state of affairs. The way it's been normalized that Israel, as it did a few days ago, can bomb a hospital, the biggest hospital.
Speaker 8: Let's just become normal.
Speaker 22: That the way they can kill over two hundred children in a matter of hours, and it isn't you know this massive outrage around the world. Think these things have become normalized, and it's it's it's allowing the killing to continue.
Speaker 6: And for the audience doesn't know, uh doesn't know Shari've played a lead role in a documentary about the killing of Sharina booklet, and it's painful to think that things were better than when Israel was at least starting out by denying their role, and the world cared. The world wanted to find out what happened. Now they're forecasting what they're going to do doing it, and nobody cares.
Speaker 4: Sure if we can roll this clip, it's a voiceover clip of Hassam's mother. People who are watching this can see it on the screen. But I imagine, even as it feels as though people in the United States are sort of tuned out and maybe numb at best, in Gaza, this is playing out very differently. I imagine the reaction on the ground with people that you guys have talked to your sources is mourning and not shock, because Hassam himself seemed to expect that this would happen at some point. But I'm sure it's hit people very hard.
Speaker 22: Solutely, you know. Jossem told me at one point, he said, you know, I haven't seen my family for well over a year because they all displaced to the South. He was in January or early February. He was reunited with his mother for the first time in four hundred and ninety two days. He hadn't seen her. There's a very moving video of them hugging. Excuse me, Yeah, he has several siblings. You know, after a few hours after his death, I got a notification my phone from his WhatsApp, which was very shocking because that's the way I communicate with him, and I was just trying to process that he died and I got a message saying, God have mercy on him, and I wrote back, God have mercy on him. Who's this? He said, it's his brother with M. He sent him a long voice note saying how much Hassem meant to drop site news and to me and how important his work was. And you know, the brothers very appreciative of that, but not Sem was. As many of these journalists are their kind of heroes in Gaza. At the beginning of the so called ceasefire in January, when the actual bombs stopped raining down and there was some kind of reprieve, many of them were hoisted onto the shoulders of people. There's video of rosem being hoisted onto the shoulders of just people in the north celebrating him in his work. And we saw scenes of his funeral yesterday being carried and with his press vest on him to honor his work. So yeah, I'm beside myself about it and.
Speaker 6: Angry as well, and since March second, which predates the complete collapse of the seas fire, the destruction of the ceasefire by Israel. Israel had you reinstituted the complete siege and nothing has been able to get in to Gaza since since March second, there were protests. We can roll a little bit of that clip there yesterday which Western media was seizing on some expressions of anti Hamas sentiment.
Speaker 1: As some of these protests, there may be some more schedule.
Speaker 6: Today you hear a lot of people saying and the siege and and the war designs, talking about the ending, ending the occupation.
Speaker 1: What are you understanding our.
Speaker 6: Conditions now three weeks into the complete shut off of supplies getting into nearly two million people.
Speaker 22: I mean people are this is reimposed for starvation again. As you know, one of our own contributors about Bocra Abbad is suffering from malnutrition. Now he's twenty two years old. He messaged me the other day. Body's aching. He's in deep pain. He's exhausted, he kind of can't get out of bed really well. He needs s galvanized multi vitamins and other things. Speaking to doctors that we know some American doctors and Palestinian doctors who are on the ground there seeing if we can get them anything, and they hardly have any supplies. Two doctors American doctors yesterday said who work at Nassat Hospital and were there when it was bombed by the Israelis a few days ago, so that the hospital is going to last another week and without any more supplies that they just really can't function. So it's on top of an very much escalated bombing campaign. The Ministry of Health this morning put out statistics on just since last week, since last Tuesday, when this re escalation of the airline bombardment began, there's eight hundred and thirty people have been killed already and among them is over three hundred children. Tree twenty children have been killed. So there's bombing happening, there's a complete siege. There's also forced evacuation or force displacement orders happening all around. They happened first in bitter Known where Hassem was originally from. They are happening in Bitlahya, in parts of eastern Conunis. Today there was displacement orders for parts of Gaza City. And I think something like Unroa said within the over the past week one hundred and thirty thousand Palestinians have been redisplaced already. This seems like it's laying the groundwork for another massive ground incursion by Israeli ground troops. So the situation is terrible, and there's also some sort of fatigue of people. I just don't feel the same kind of outrage of people here in this country around what's happening. There's a lot that they're dealing with with Trump and Musk and people being deported, but I feel like the Israeli seem to have a green light now. They did their few weeks of a so called seasfire, and now they're just went to come in and finish off what they haven't. So it's very terrifying. And I can't even imagine, for example, the five other journalists that were put on that hit list, what they must be feeling after Rosem was killed and they're celebrating his death. Can you imagine what it must be like.
Speaker 6: Especially rones, like drones concently flying over top, knowing that the people who operate those drones have promised that they're going to kill you, Like, what must it be like to drive around, walk around, not just for yourself you know, Sam's best friend was killed alongside him. You probably feel some radioactivity around others. You will go to visit your blue, go to visit your family. You wonder if you're you wonder if you're putting your family at risk just by existing.
Speaker 22: You know, I was in touch with another drop SEC contributary yesterday Russia, Boujeleel, who is in Gaza City. She went there back there after the seas fire. She almost died last week when they Israeli's bombed the house right next to her, bombed her neighbor and the wall collapsed on the room where she usually sleeps with her husband and five children, but they were in another room because it was warmer, so they miraculously survived. She's saying that people are being all these people who are being displaced, they're mostly coming to that area of Gaza City that she's in and there's literally nothing to no shelter, so there's just rubble. They don't even have tens or makeshift tarps. They're just literally like on the rubble. She said. People are starving to the degree that she saw family go out to the beach and they caught a turtle and ate it. So you know, and she it's just almost kind of unimaginable what's happening, and it's just escalating and escalating, and the world is just watching as it's happening.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this indeed, sureif Thank you so much for joining us and deeply appreciate it.
Speaker 8: Thank you for having me.
Speaker 4: Shout out to producer Griffin because we are covering the snow White story.
Speaker 5: Not due to Maya and Ryan's deep devotion of two snow White and Disney.
Speaker 4: But you know what, there's actually some interesting stuff going on here, so let's get into it.
Speaker 5: We can put g one up on the screen.
Speaker 4: This is a post from Variety which says, quote after Rachel Ziegeler hit the stage at Disney' D twenty three fan event to introduce the first official trailer of Snow White, she thinks of words effusively at an ex post. One minute later, she added an afterthought in the same thread, quote and always remember free Palestine. So that was what Ziegler posted, and Variety goes on a report many inside the studio express shock that she would commingle the promotion of its two hundred and seventy million dollars ten poll with any kind of political statement. The film's producer flew to New York to speak with her, but Ziegler stood.
Speaker 5: Her ground and the post remained.
Speaker 4: Now we can put G two up on the screen because it's going to get even more interesting if you haven't.
Speaker 5: Been following this quote behind the scenes.
Speaker 4: This is from sixteen death threats towards Zigler's co star Gal Gado, who is Israeli spiked and Disney had to pay for additional security for the mother of four quote. She didn't understand the repercussions of her actions as far as what that meant for the film, for Gal for anyone. So sorry, that's not actually from sixty minutes. That's also from the Variety piece. So that's Variety has like a kind of TikTok of what was happening behind the scenes. Not surprising at all that this is what's happening behind the scenes of Disney. But before we get into it even more, Ryan, I just want to say the Semophore newsletter had an interesting tidbut about this. They said, as many people know, this movie is not doing very well at the box office compared to the amount of money that was poured into it, despite a soft weekend opening, Semophore wrote in its newsletter a couple of days ago, the political backlash isn't what seemed to hurt the movie's performance, because Snow White overperformed in Republican leaning areas and did well among Latino and Hispanic audiences. So I mean that doesn't quite Rebut the point about whether all of this politico political uh fiasco had anything to do with why ittt had a quote soft weekend opening.
Speaker 5: It is getting absolutely.
Speaker 4: Trashed by critics, not like conservative critics, and it is getting slammed across the board for being terrible, but it does I mean, I think over performing Republican leaning areas. Kad Of tells you that it's probably not the politics that's ultimately the biggest albatross for the snow White.
Speaker 1: Film, And I would hope that nobody would even think that.
Speaker 6: It's like, come on, like her tweeting Free Palestine is not going you know two months later, No, you know, really damaged.
Speaker 1: I think the box upics whether or not, whether not the movie is any good, it's really what's what's going to drive it in the end.
Speaker 6: We could put up G four Yeah, if we have a minute here. So this is this is UH Mark Platt, this is about the kind of pressure on people inside Hollywood not to kind of speak up on behalf of Palestine. Here's Mark Platt. This is them talking kind of about the Wicked Cast.
Speaker 23: Several members of the Wicked Cast have been active, at least online in their opposition to Israel artists for a ceasefire. As someone who cares so much about your professional relationships and the product you're making on set, how do you navigate that.
Speaker 24: I talk to people, and I think people are told that something is about something in a very reductive way, and it feels like who doesn't care about innocent right tragedy, innocent civilians. No decent human being wants any suffering in humanity from decent people. What happens in instances is individuals describe their names to something where they're not being completely informed, and the messaging to them is they're.
Speaker 8: Suffering here, right, we have to speak out for suffering.
Speaker 24: The message doesn't include there's also suffering over here, or there's suffering that was prompted or instigated by an act of terror or an act of evil, or there's a terrorist group in place that wishes for the annihilation of a whole group of people that gets left out of the conversation. And so my way ABI is when the moment is right, is to have that conversation where it can be heard and where what I'm saying can be heard, not in the midst of anger, where it can be heard and.
Speaker 8: Processed and therefore understood.
Speaker 24: And I feel good about those conversations that have.
Speaker 6: Been had right And so, according to Variety, platt Head made that same pitch to her say, Hey, you really don't understand that. Actually, I guess you know, they're all asking for.
Speaker 1: It and we can and she did not. She declined to take it down.
Speaker 5: We could put G three on the screen as well. This is an interesting point.
Speaker 4: The writer of the article of the Variety piece familiar byline to people who fall Hollywood duws, just Tatiana Seagull, also, as this user on x points out, made the hit pieces against Melissa Barrera and Amber heard so very inside Hollywood type of analysis there, but still fairly interesting because your point about the pressures from a company like Disney Massive Corporation, which has millions and millions of dollars on the line with this movie, you know, this is one of the more interesting I think cauldrons of political pressures because snow White. One of the reasons that it just I mean, I haven't seen it. Your kids are right, they like it. Fine, that's fine, Yeah, I mean one of the reasons I think it's and critics have pointed this out, one of the reasons it's struggling is that Disney had they were sort of excited about this movie in an era before the quote unquote vibe shift after Trump wins the election, and some of their movies that they had kind of intentionally framed to be I don't want to say the word woke, because I don't think that's right, but sort of signaling or gesturing at like the progressive cultural worldview. They were really excited about those projects, put a lot of money into them, and they mostly haven't done well.
Speaker 5: They haven't been great products. And again that's because you have a.
Speaker 4: You have a corporation attempting to like latch on to this progressive messaging. And so it's incredibly confused because they don't really buy the sort of progressive class critique, but they can easily buy you've written about this, they can easily buy the identity critique where it does the skin suit and you know type of and start promoting these types of things, and so it ends up making a really confused product at the end of the day, like this one.
Speaker 5: They took the dwarves out like they literally he edited the dwarves.
Speaker 4: Out of the snow Whites movie because Peter Dinglish and others complained in the era of I guess people will call it like peak woke capital p capitol w that it was insensitive to cast actual people in that role. So they ended up using CGI and that the effect of that on the movie has to be devastating, like just that in and of itself, to take the live action human beings out of it and replace them with CGI had to have been insane.
Speaker 6: And in a related scandal, and we can put this up up in post. Yesterday we covered the assault on.
Speaker 1: Balal Hams and the co director Hamden Bal, the co director of No Other Land, by a group of settlers in Israel.
Speaker 6: So this is, you know, just weeks ago, he wins an oscar, goes back to the West Bank where he gets gets assaulted. The Israeli security forces pick him up after this assault. You've all Abraham who was his co director journal a Jewish Israeli journalist at nine to seven two, who also won an Oscar and was appeared with him on the.
Speaker 1: Stage, posted this morning, so he wrote sadly.
Speaker 6: The US Academy, which awarded us in Oscar three weeks ago, declined to publicly support Hamdan Blal while he was beaten and tortured by Israeli soldiers and settlers. The European Academy voiced support, as did countless other award groups and festivals. Several US Academy members, especially in the documentary branch, pushed for a statement, but was ultimately refused. We were told that because other Palestinians were beaten up in the settler attack, it could be considered unrelated to the film, so they felt.
Speaker 1: No need to respond.
Speaker 6: In other words, while Hamdan was clearly targeted for making no other land parentheses, he recalled soldiers joking about the Oscar as they tortured him, he was also targeted for being Palestinian, like countless others every day who are disregarded. This, it seems, gave the Academy an excuse to remain silent when a filmmaker they honored living under Israeli occupation needed them the most it's not too late to change this stance.
Speaker 1: Even now.
Speaker 6: Issuing a statement condemning the attack on how I'm don and the Masa Feryata community would send a meaningful message and serve as a deterrent for the future. That's you've all Abraham talking about the politics in the industry.
Speaker 1: That we're talking about here.
Speaker 4: I have an optimistic take on this, which is that the public backlash to the era of what felt like sort of stifling, especially to a lot of people, even a lot of people who are on the left. We talk to people who work in the entertainment industry, it seems like the public backlash to that may actually benefit everyone in just a much freer, more open environment in general. Like I was at Yale last night doing a debate, and it just was remarkable to me. I had graduated from college only ten years ago. The way that they talk about politics is so much more liberated than the way, especially people on the left talked about politics when I was there. It just as they just they would ask questions. We did a dinner beforehand, and they were asking questions to me and to the other speaker that people.
Speaker 5: Would have been like couching with, you know, if it were twenty twelve. Like, you know, some people think this and I'm not saying I necessarily agree with it, but like what.
Speaker 4: It's just like everyone could speak freely for the most part, and you know, nobody said anything like offensive obviously, but asking legitimate questions. I don't know if you've noticed this. Actually, like it would be interesting for like an elephant in the Zoom follow up. I feel like there's just generally people are taking a breath, and I feel like that's.
Speaker 1: Good for Yeah, everyone, there's sort of yeah, there's some elements that are still completely dug in hasn't gotten there yet, but we'll see still fighting it out in some of those some of these specific islands.
Speaker 5: Well, well we'll see what happens. But anyway, Disney, what a company, what a what a time. Uh, this was fun.
Speaker 1: We'll see the film and report back. No, maybe I'll get my twins on they can do a review.
Speaker 5: Actually, that's a great idea. So Ryan, you're back here.
Speaker 1: Tomorrow, back here tomorrow and then that set.
Speaker 16: In this seat.
Speaker 4: Oh, that's right, it's always Yeah, Crystal's out this week, so I don't know if we'll be here on Friday.
Speaker 1: But oh that's right. We'll have to organize it ourselves. Oh my gosh, we go around, we'll do we'll do that for you. Yes, right, you're around Friday. Yeah, yeah, okay, we'll do that for you. Cool honor of Crystal Cool. Well, and maybe she'll be able to join.
Speaker 4: Maybe maybe you can bank up also complaints against soccer that you can sort of air your a grievances on Friday after a week soccer.
Speaker 5: We can just do that.
Speaker 4: So far, so good, many such cases. All right, well you guys then, thanks everyone tuning in. Yeah, we'll see you guys then