Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to another episode of Snake's Territory, part of the Foul Territory Network. My name is Jesse Friedman, alongside the one and only Jack Summers. As always, be sure to do all the things like this video. Subscribe to our channel, maybe leave us a five star review wherever you get your podcast. Jack, we just witnessed a game that the Diamondbacks very much needed to win, and they were able to do just that. Merril Kelly really put the team on his back with seven innings of one run ball Diamondbacks offense able to do just enough behind him.
Speaker 2: It feels great to see Meryl pitch that well again. I thoroughly admit that I had my doubts that we would get to see this kind of performance. You know, not just a good pitching line, but how he looked doing it. It was We're back to a pleasure to watch Merril Kelly pitch.
Speaker 1: It was, you know, the way this game started, It's still felt like, okay, you know, we'll see, let's see if Meryl Kelly is able to able to be successful and go on a nice run and put some innings together. Certainly he was better his last time out against Milwaukee. Pretty clean first inning for Meryl Kelly won two three, and then he comes out for the second and Manny Machado takes the first pitch and hits it very deep, and then it's like, all right, well, here we are with Merrill Kelly. You know, certainly allowing home runs has been a trend for him this season. But as the game went on, Jack Merrill made some really big pitches, got a couple of really important double plays, and it felt like as the game went on, Merrill just seemed to get better and better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and don't forget to pick off. It was fun to see me getting back to picking guys off again. I mean that was something that he was among the leaders in the league for a few years in a row. So you know, that's another weapon in his arsenal. Probably isn't going to get a lot of ink, but picking off Tatisa was pretty big there.
Speaker 1: I mean Moreno gets the credit most of the credit for that one.
Speaker 2: Right, Oh, I'm sorry. Was that two two three not a one three?
Speaker 1: I think it was a two three. I think it was a two three. I mean, Merrill, I guess contributed, right, You're right, you're quick to play, but Gabby's the one who gunned out Tatis at first base, originally called safe and then the Diamondbacks challenged, and it looked pretty pretty cut and dry. Nice nice play all the way around.
Speaker 2: Bonehead. I saw the plate, but for whatever reason, I just looked at my sheet instead.
Speaker 1: That happens to the best of us. But yeah, as the game went along, Jacket just felt like Merrill got more and more comfortable. We saw him have a conversation with Tory Lavello and the dugout after the sixth inning. He was right around I don't remember the exact pitch count. I think it was low mid eighties something like that through six innings, and then he went out there. He won the argument with Tory Lavello was able to make his case to go back out there, and rightfully so. So Merrill went back out there, tossed to really clean one, two, three, seventh inning, and only finished the game with ninety four pitches. He was he was very efficient.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, you kind of wonder about those conversations. I was thinking about this while it was happening, like is that motivating for a pitcher? Like, you know, what is he saying? If anybody gets on you're out of there. I mean, like that that would seem to make a guy pitch tight. But that's the last thing that Meryl did. He came out and dominated at seventh inning and just you know, got through it really quickly. So you know, I'd love to be a fly on the wall in some of those conversations. I'm sure that they'll talk about it in a few moments about what was said, but you know, between them, you know where they're coming from. Right, Merril's like, get out of my way, I want to pitch, and Toy's like, okay, I'll let you go back out there. But I'm sure it went along those lines.
Speaker 1: This outing, to me, had a different feel than his game against Milwaukee. I know, the final line against Milwaukee was decent. Five innings of two runs. Certainly you would take that, but there was kind of a lot of hard contact in that game. I think Merrill allowed eight or nine base runners in that one, something like that, and it just felt like he wasn't really in control of the game as much as he was just doing like damage control when he needed to, and he was minimizing situations to his credit, finding ways to get out of jams. That he hasn't been able to get out of this season. But this game felt more like vintage Meryl Kelly. I mean, this was a as the outing went on, right, it didn't always look this way, but as the outing went on, it felt more and more like Merrill was in control of this game. I guess if I was nitpicking Jack, I would reference the thing I've referenced a lot with Merrill Kelly this season, which is that he just isn't throwing as many pitches in the strike zone as you would like to see. And oddly enough, that was very much the case in this game. His zone rate and this one was only thirty nine percent, which is actually well below his season average, very far below the league average. Merrill really did not throw very many pitches in the zone at all in this game, but it absolutely worked for him. I mean, he got a decent amount of chase outside the zone. He generated a lot of soft contact. This had a very different feel from the Milwaukee outing. Even though, yeah, we would maybe like to see Meryll land a few more pitches for strikes.
Speaker 2: Right well, you know, I mean I'd probably go back and look up and see how many were just you know, in that shadow zone or just on the outside part of the strike zone on the edges. I'd be interested to look at that, because it sure felt like he was around the zone most of the time, or when he was missing, it seemed like it had purpose, you know, whether it was a pitch running in on a right hand into batter just kind of get his hands up and you know, sliding back a little bit, you know, and then makes it more susceptible to the changeup. So I feel pretty good about the way he was locating the ball today, despite the fact that the zone percentage wasn't great, you know, but yeah, you know, who am I to counter you when it comes to nippicking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know if that's something I want to be known for per se, but yeah, this was I definitely think that's a valid point on your part. Looking at at Merrill's pitch chart, just pulling it up on Savant on my computer. Here, pretty much every pitch is competitive, and that was something we talked about after the Milwaukee outing, was he had still quite a few misfires in that game, where especially the cutter, it felt like was just kind of in no man's land time after time. But a different story in this game. He was out of the zone, maybe a little more than you'd like, but it was very, very effective and he does there's a lot of credit for that. On the offensive side of things, Jack, not a whole lot to speak of for the Diamondbacks, and this one you'd like to see more than three runs, especially with someone like Griffin canning on the mound. Well, we'll talk a little more about what's going on with the offense later, but to get into the positives from this one, the d Backs scratched across a run in the fourth inning, Corbyn Carrel unfortunately thrown out at second trying to stretch a single into a double. He really beat the tag, but then he just leaked off the base for a split second and that was that. But the d Backs still score a run in the inning there on a wild pitch. Max Kepler and Lord of s Gariel both hitting singles to contribute to that. And then in the top of the fifth Heraldo Perdomo drove in Tommy Troy from second base clutch two out single RBI single there gave the Diamondbacks a two to one lead at the time, and then the other run for Arizona and this one Nolan Arnato against Yuki Matt Suey somehow hitting a splitter that was several inches below the zone. You could tell looking at Matt Suwey's face that he was sort of like, how on earth did you do that? Pretty impressive swing from Nolan Arnado, Jack, who is just a fascinating hitter. It feels like, you know, sometimes he feels like he can't do anything with a pitch that's right down the middle, and yet he every once in a while will just run into a splitter that's six inches below the zone and hit that out of the yard.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, you know, you just don't expect that pitch to be the one that hit. I mean, splitters have been driving this team crazy all year long, so that was the last thing you would expect, especially Nolan to be able to go down and get that one. But he did. You know he's do is he have the most home runs in Petco Park amongst visiting players are close to it. I think they said he had over thirty homers and at go so it must be just something about hitting there. He likes it and they need him to, you know, at least be league average. He's kind of been doing better over the last week or so, but you know, his year to date numbers are still a little below average, I think, so you know, the home run tonight probably helped get him up closer to that. With his steady defense, if they can get that all year long, Tory's going to have to get him his days off a little bit more frequently than he had been. So you know, it's just great to see him still be able to contribute and get going like that.
Speaker 1: Dbac's bullpen was solid behind Meryl Kelly in this one. Kevin Ginkle pitched a one two three eighth inning and then Paul Sewald followed that up with a one two three ninth inning couple of strikeouts. Actually a really good game for Paul Sewalt. He looked particularly sharp in this one. So not a great series overall for the bullpen jack Obviously, yesterday's game was a bit of a rough one for them, but again, it feels like when it has mattered in the situation where you really need your bullpen to step up and protect a slim lead, this bullpen has very consistently done that in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, Paul was dominant I mean, you know, he didn't just have a nice outing. I mean it was ten pitches, nine strikes. He struck out Tattoos and bok Arts, two guys that have both taken him deep in their careers, you know, and it was just like, you know, good morning, good afternoon, good night. Yeah, it doesn't, you know, it doesn't. It was almost a nine pitch inning. So it doesn't really get much more dominant than that. It's just amazing to watch Paul sometimes pitch that dominantly considering you know, some of the other factors that we know well about his home run proneness and all of that. But you know twenty one for twenty two, who had that on their bingo card.
Speaker 1: Not mean, yeah, I would be lying if I if I said I was expecting that from Paul Seawall. It has been despite the fact that the ra is still up there. I know he's been less sharp lately, but again, he's generally stepped up when the Diamondbacks have needed him.
Speaker 2: Too.
Speaker 1: Hard to argue with twenty one for twenty two, And yeah, I mean he's really excelled in that role despite what a lot of people expected from him going into the season. We have more to get to on this series in San Diego. We're going to take a step back and we're not going to dive too much into what happened the last couple of days, but we will talk about some big picture takeaways. Look ahead to the trade deadline, check in on the standings, talk a little more about what's going on with the offense. So a whole lot more ahead. Don't go away, we'll be back right after this on Snake stairzor.
Speaker 2: Hey.
Speaker 3: For the families out there looking for a different path to help your child succeed at home, look into K twelve Powered Schools. K twelve offers tuition free, accredited online public education for students in K through twelve on a setting that works for your family. Todd Father, you've done the homeschooling thing in the past.
Speaker 2: I know you liked it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I did. I liked it a lot. All my kids have done it before. It's an opportunity for them to stay at home and enjoy school just as much. They learn a lot, and this is an opportunity for families that are on the go too as well. They have to understand, Listen, can't be at a regular school at all times. I need my child to be doing this, whether it's an athletic career, whatever stature they are at. And we loved every second of it, and I think it is an easy opportunity for some children.
Speaker 3: See how K twelve parate schools can help unlock your child's full potential. Enroll today at K twelve dot com slash foul. That's the letter K the number twelve dot com slash foul. K twelve dot com slash foul.
Speaker 1: We are back here on Snake's territory. Shout out to all of you who are here live with us in the chat. We see all your comments. We really appreciate you being here with us. If you're joining us after the fact or you're listening, we also really appreciate you as well. Be sure to drop alike on this video on YouTube, subscribe to our channel if you have not already, and if you're join us on Apple Podcasts or Spotify one of those audio only platforms. It also really helps us out if you would leave us a five star review. Well, Jack, you mentioned earlier how the Diamondbacks got their runs in this game. It was not exactly a firework display for that unit in this one, just scoring three runs in this game, and by and large in the series, the Diamondbacks offense did not do particularly well against what has been a weaker starting pitching group for San Diego this season. I guess the vibes were high on Monday, Jack, when they came out and they scored eight runs. You felt like maybe this was going to be a big swing in the other direction for that group. But then the d Backs came back and just mustered one run on Tuesday and then three runs in the game yesterday, which did not particularly matter much at that point, and yeah, it's been a rough go for that group for quite a while now.
Speaker 2: You know, Unfortunately, almost every player except for a few, have been underperforming their projections this year what was expected of them, some by very large margins. Some are players that are on the firing line as far as you know, severe underperformance to the point of DFA DFA. Others are you know, some of the stars on this team have not done what is expected of them, and so it's all kind of combined to an offense that's severely underwhelmed and underperformed. You know, I wrote an article the other day and I made a case for you can almost calculate that the team is about fifty runs shy of where they should be based on their projections and playing time that they've gotten. You know, the one thing that the players themselves can't really control is the playing time they get. Obviously, you play better, you get more playing time. But whether it's injury, who got called up, who got sent down, and how Tory decides to put the lineup in, they don't really control that. But you know, you still can look at things based on how much playing time they've got gotten and how much they've produced versus how much they were expected to produce. So that's what I was trying to do in my article the other day, and here's the chart on it. So the metric that I used was runs created. The runs created metric is simply looking at the inputs of you know, hits, walks, home runs, strikeouts, et cetera, et cetera, all their bat at all events and all their walks and strikeouts and looking at how many runs those typically create. So that's what runs created is because it takes sequencing out of the picture. And when you look at this, the team has created has runs created three hundred and sixty eight heading into yesterday's game is a two games old data and there were fifty two runs under what they were projected to do. So I'm showing here the plate appearances, the runs created, and the over or under projection. So, for example, Gabra Marino has thirty eight runs created in two hundred and fifty three plate appearances. He was projected in this many per plate appearance to have about thirty almost thirty five, so he's three point two over. If you flip all the way to the bottom of the table, Lord Escuriel only has thirteen runs created in one hundred and sixty eight plate appearances, where he should have had about twenty one or twenty two based on his preseason projection, and so he's minus eight point six. So that's the top and the bottom of this chart. And this was a way for me to calculate the impact of each player on the team. And it's really fairly evident obviously that looking at ten other metrics, you don't need this to tell you that Lordis and Peven have been extremely detrimental to the offense, as was Adrian del Castillo before being sent out. I mean they're at minus seven point four minus seven point six and minus eight point six. Now, surprisingly you see Katel Marte and Heraldo Padomo just above them at minus five to five and minus six six. Obviously they're good players and they're still well above average, but there was supposed to be even better than this, and so they're each missing about five or six runs. And you know, if you look at the bottom of the table, I mean del Castillo, Smith and Guriel, they account for forty five percent of the negative fifty two runs in just twelve percent of the played appearances. So this is just another way to quantify how badly they've impacted the team. But also more to the point, if you look at the top, the positive numbers are there for Marino Lawler, who's only got forty four played appearances, Jose Fernandez. However, Jose didn't have a very high projection to begin with, and then as same for Vargas. So you know, at this point you don't really have enough positive above expected production above projected production from the top of the table, and almost everybody's underperforming. So that's the bottom line. I mean, it's just it's a lineup wide thing. But there's three or four guys that really hurt the s team. The most.
Speaker 1: I know, you mentioned that there are some of the better hitters that show up in the negative here, right, Likekzel was projected to do more, Heraldo Perdomo was projected to do more. But what really stood out to me looking at that was like, oh my gosh, like every single non star level hitter shows up not only in the red, but like deep in the red. Consider how many played appearances they had, right, I mean, there's just a massive difference between lordus Guriel Junior having an OPS in the in the mid five hundreds versus having an OPS in the low mid seven hundreds. Like the difference there is as big as the difference between lordis having an OPS and the seven hundreds and having an OPS and then nine hundreds. I mean, that's the same kind of gap that you're talking about there, and that's happening with a lot of different hitters on this team where you were expecting to get at least like a competent, roughly league average sort of production and instead you're getting well below that. And so yeah, I mean, would you like to see Catel's numbers continue to go up a little bit? Heraldo had a nice game today, Maybe he's able to get on a bit of a continued run. He's had stretches here and there, but hasn't been able to maintain it for a long period of time. You would like to see those things happen, but you just need like a level of competence from the bottom of the lineup. And it feels jack like the Dbacks have been chasing that all season long.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, you know, at a certain point you have to say, like, I'm ready to throw in the towel on the projections, right, like, you know, the rest of season projections still, I mean, they've all taken a hit almost you know, most of them have taken a hit as far as what the rest of season numbers look like compared to their preseason numbers.
Speaker 1: I'm putting the paid Smith numbers on the screen.
Speaker 2: Here we go. Yeah, and then of course you know the obligatory now we've gone. I've showed this table before. This is just an update. Back in middle June. On June sixteenth, I published an article and we posted this this table and you've probably seen it on Twitter if you follow me there, and this just shows you know, what Peven Smith did the first part of his career through September of twenty four, over eleven hundred and almost twelve hundred played appearances, he was a little bit below average with a ninety two WRC plus, so he's about eight percent below average hitter for the first twelve hundred played appearances of his career. I see a lot of people quoting his war totals. I kind of ignore the Baseball Reference war total because Smith played over at almost fifteen hundred innings in the outfield.
Speaker 1: Sorry, sorry, Jack, I'm gonna I'm gonna interrupt you real quick because I saw someone put this in the chat and I just confirmed on Twitter, speaking of Peven Smith, we have some news. The Diamondbacks, according to Nick Bacoro one minute ago, have designated Peven Smith for assignment and Ryan Waldschmidt is on his way back up to the majors. So this is breaking news live on the show from our good friend Nick Bacoro out in San Diego. The Diamondbacks made the move Jack that people have been calling for for a long time. Peven Smith has been designated for assignment, and Ryan Waldschmid, who's been down in Triple A for a few weeks now, he's on his way back to the majors overdue.
Speaker 2: You know, I've been talking about this for a while, despite what a lot of people seem to think. You know, obviously I was a little slower than many to call for him to be removed from the roster. But my line in the sand was my article on June sixteenth, and at that point I'm like, Okay, he's got to do it right now or he needs to be removed from the roster. And he didn't, and I think that they let it go an extra couple of weeks. I really expected him to not last past Max Kepler returning coming up on June twenty fifth. That was kind of like my absolute deadline for him to get things turned around, and he didn't. And it was frustrating as much for me as everybody else to see him, you know, continue on for more than another two weeks. Unfortunate for him, nice guy. I would have loved to have seen him be successful, but this should have happened a while ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Peven Smith, I mean, it's hard to argue with the numbers. Right this season, he has slashed one forty one two thirty six two and just for the heck of it, I'll throw this graphic back up on the screen. I know you were just talking through it. Peven's career WRC plus is ninety eight, his career OPS is seven to twenty, and as you have here on the screen, his rest of season projection was to be just a little bit south of that, to have an ops of seven oh two and a WRC plus in the low ninety range. The issue is that while Peven Smith has sort of always projected as a league average hitter on paper, he's almost never been that. Like if you look at Peven Smith's year by year line, he pretty much has always either been way better than that, although it didn't happen for very long, as your table points out, that really just happened over a couple of months, really, but it heavily impacted his numbers both in twenty twenty four and in twenty twenty five. Both of those season numbers look great, but then you have you know, his twenty two twenty three season where he had a six forty two OPS, in his twenty twenty two season where he had a six sixty seven OPS, and then of course this year where he was one of the one of the worst hitters in baseball when he was actually in the lineup. So just a bizarre situation where like the full body of work was right in the middle. And I think the d Backs would have taken a seven to twenty ops from Peven this year. I mean, if if he had a seven twenty ops, he'd be one of the best hitters on the team. He would probably he would probably be batting fifth, and people would be okay with that. But for whatever reason, Jack, he just hasn't been able to have any kind of consistency at the plate. It was just those those two months at the end of twenty four in the beginning of twenty five where he lit the world on fire. And understandably, after you see that, it's it's maybe a little bit hard to let go. But I at the same time, I think we're all on the same page. This is a move that Diamondbacks probably could have made a while back.
Speaker 2: Look, let's be one hundred percent transparent here. We sat in that press room time after time, whether it was Mike or whether it was Tory insisting to us Peven Smith can hit, and that phrase became somewhat of not just a talking point, but an eye roll point. I mean, we heard it over and over and over again, and very few of us in that press room bought into it. Yeah, and every time we heard it, we're just going to do again. Really, they're going to keep saying this, and then it just kind of became a joke, you know, and they had a misplaced confidence. I think it was very much born out of a lot of bad at bald data. When he did have some of those lower ops, some of his bad at bald data suggested that he should be doing a lot better. And then when he had that hot one hundred and thirty seven PA, they felt very validated in waiting him out, you know. And what they were not able to see and what they were blind to was the following two hundred and fifty PA were just absolutely abysmal. And so they stuck with it too long. And you know, this is something again that you know, you can say, all right, well you give them a shot this year. That's great. But heading into the year again, i'll you know, I pointed out to Mike that they should bring in a left handed bat because they can't go into the season thinking that finding a right handed first base on the platoon of Paven's going to get it done. They need a left handed bat because they can't depend on just Peven and Adrian del Castillo. And so that's why I went on and on about Ryan, Ryan O'Hearn or you know, somebody. They needed to get a left handed bat, and you know, they didn't see it that way. And you know, they were right about a lot of things that I've been wrong about. And I don't mean to in any way imply that I could do a better job as a GM of the Arizona Diamondbacks. It's way above my level, but I was right about this one thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's a I think it's hard to argue with that at this point. Mighty Schuman in the in the chat says Il Tomorrow can take the left handed first base at bats. Yeah, I mean it seems like that's sort of the course of action from here. I don't think the d Backs are bringing Rian Walschman back to play first base, so presumably it's going to be Eil Tomorrow and basically an everyday role over at first. And then Tim Tawas as we saw today, he can he can play the position as well if the d Backs need him to. But yeah, I think it's I think it's eel Tomorrow Vargas's job, which in some ways is a is a credit to Eil Tomorrow and the season he's had, especially what he did early on offensively and what he's continued to do defensively. He's he's played that position really, really well. But on the other hand, Jack, I think the fact that Eldamara Vargas is is the best option right now at first base is is kind of a problem. I mean, even for the good moments that eild Tomorrow has had this year. I mean, the fact that he's your best option against even right handed pitching, that's that is problematic eild Tomorrow this season. I'm finding these numbers. Eield Tomorrow this season against righty's is hitting two twenty three with a five ninety one ops. I mean that is that is not the kind of production you're looking for from any position, much less at first base.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So you know, I kinda shoot something at you, Jesse, and I'm gonna see if you can get this up on the screen. I don't know if you're able to or not.
Speaker 1: We can try.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So it's a table that I posted image. Sorry, folks, stay with us. This is in the moment. Okay, So the table that Jesse is about to put up is the Diamondbacks first baseman sorted by plate appearances with their OPS showing alongside it. Oh dear, and you know this is again heading into tonight. Three hundred and sixty six plate appearances as a first baseman for the Diamondbacks, and Ildemaro Vargas had one hundred and eighty one of them so half, and as a first baseman he's had a six thirty three OPS. The second most was Jose Fernandez was sixty PA and he had a five to fifty seven. The third highest amount of PA at first base was Peven Smith with fifty three and he had a four to oh nine OPS. Lou James Gruver thirty three PA with a five oh nine. Carlos Santana, who they signed and expected to play most of the time, was terrible for eight games twenty six PA with a two seventy nine OPS, and then got hurt and never came back. So you know two things here that you should glean from this table. Ildemar Vargus is not the answer at first base. And actually, if you're just focusing on first base alone, and what's made the news recently, about the worst first base ops since nineteen twenty. Peved Smith only was responsible for fifty three of those PA, So I think that that's important to recognize. You know, their first base problem is an organizational problem. It wasn't a Pavent Smith problem. Not a defense of Pavent Smith, don't twist my words, just like guys enough, there's a problem.
Speaker 1: Was he was one of many problems is sort of the takeaway there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, they don't have a first basement and they haven't all year, right, and they didn't going into the season. They didn't have a valid plan for first base heading into twenty twenty six.
Speaker 1: I remember when I think it was Gambo tweeted out at one point during the offseason that first base was not going to be a priority for the team this offseason, that they were focused on the rotation, they were focused on the bullpen, and they thought they had they had they had at least had guys there who could play the position. And I remember reacting to that here and being like, that doesn't that doesn't It seems like a bold move to just roll with what you got at that position, and it couldn't have gone any more disastrously than it has up to this point. I mean, you're talking about the lowest ops at the position by any team since nineteen twenty. That's not exactly where you want to be in that regard. So I think Ildmorrow could be fine against lefties, Like if you want to make him your short side platoon at first base, the defense is there, and he has good numbers against lefties this season at the plate, Eildamara Vargas is hitting three twenty two with a nine oh seven OPS against lefties, but we know what he is against righty's. And if the d Bacs are serious about trying to get back in this thing, Jack, it is abundantly clear that they will need a left handed bat who can play first base at the trade deadline. And we weren't planning to talk about this today, but I'm just going to throw his name out there because I know you've mentioned him before. Nathaniel Lowe of the Cincinnati Reds makes kind of a lot of sense. He's someone that you know the Reds are going to sell. They're going to be sellers. He doesn't make all that much money, and he's a left handed hitting first baseman who's had a pretty good season Nathaniel Lowe.
Speaker 2: I mean you look at his ops plus in his career, and he's what Peven Smith was supposed to be. Yeah, you know, not eye popping power, but should give you double digits, maybe fifteen or twenty in a good year, and you know, be over one hundred ops plus most years one hundred and ten hundred and fifteen, one hundred and twenty and other than twenty twenty five. That's pretty much what He's been a lot of buzz about Manny Pina, So I want to address that as well. Sure, So you know, look, I've been following Penya pretty closely since last year. I again apologize if I got an edge tonight. Yeah, I do you know, I had people chirping at me. They probably never even heard of Manny Pena sixty days ago, you know, trying to make it sound like I don't like Manny Pina, and so I got a little defensive on Twitter. I apologized if that edge has come out, I was trying to explain since this morning. At seven thirty this morning, I tweeted out, hey make sure you look at the pictures that are facing the Reno aces, and I wasn't even thinking of Pina. When I wrote that, I was just saying in general, because they scored fourteen runs last night. Adrian Doug Castillo went four for four and had a homer. Okay, came back and you know, and so what I was trying to say to people was like, hey, thirty four year old, washed up Marco Gonzalez was a starter, and they had a thirty two year old washed up for Lever come in and give up a bunch of runs too. And so it's just really important when you look at those minor league numbers. In a minor league box scores, like, hey, who are they going against? Look for the other team's good pictures. Who's in the other team's pipeline, right, you know, are they in their top thirty pictures? Where were they drafted? What's their pedigree? You know? And if it's a twenty nine to thirty year old journeyman, you know, it's you just got to take it a little bit with a grain of salt. I mean, it's the PCL. They score almost six runs a game. They're at forty five hundred feet in Reno. We see this over and over and over again. Guys come up from Reno with great numbers and they're ops and the Majors is two or three hundred points lower. So it's just a way to say, hey, chill a little bit on some of these numbers that you're seeing coming out of Reno. Now many Pina hit twenty six home runs in Double A, He's hit three or four now in TRIPA A. He's hot lately, and he may very well be the guy. I mean, maybe he's going to come up and be able to step right in and produce right away, and I hope he does. I think he might get a chance. I think that it's not outside the realm of possibility that they just turn to him and give him a shot. You know, I just don't want it to be where people have the expectation, Oh, this guy's going to come in, he's going to hit two eighty and you know, go on a thirty homer pace as soon as he steps into the major leagues. It's not very likely. That's all I'm trying to say. Don't set your expectations too high there, especially when it comes to evaluating these players. So that's my Manny Penia rank. You know, I love the guy as a prospect. I'm really excited to see what he can do. That home run he hit today was an APO shot, which is great to see because when he was hitting Amarillo, they were all pull fly balls, So hitting opposite field Homer's great to see.
Speaker 1: I want to highlight the a couple of comments here. One is on one is on the screen from corbon barrels. You can't have too much penia power on one team, guys will break the algorithm. And then Mark followed up and said, okay, but Jack that we considered we can replace penia power with penia power. So yeah, that there would be the dvac's Twitter account. I'm sure would would have a lot of fun with that. But yeah, I mean I think I think you don't have to even look too deeply at the numbers with with penia to to think that maybe he has there's a little more seasoning needed there. He entered today with a one hundred w RC plus in triple A, exactly league average. The walk and strikeout rates have both been pretty decent, but the quality of contact has has not not been what you'd expect given the surface numbers, which of course is something we're we're always paying attention to with Reno, So uh, I'd love to see him get a shot at some point this year, but it feels like we're probably a little ways from that. At this point. We have more to get to end this episode, we're going to check in on the standings, maybe talk a little bit more trade deadline toward Lavello, kind of what his job security situation is with where the Diamondbacks are sitting in the standing. So don't go away, we'll be back right after this break here on Sneak's territory.
Speaker 5: This episode is brought to you by FanDuel Baseball Fans. The MLB season is in full swing, and FanDuel is giving you a chance to call your shot with Daily Dingers. Joining the action is easy. Just make your free pick on who's hitting a home run in their game, and if you're right, you'll get a profit boost to use on your next bet for a chance at extra winnings. It's just another reason why FanDuel is the home of home runs. So are you ready to play your game? Head over to FanDuel dot com Slash podcast to get started. That's FanDuel dot com Slash podcast. To opt in for Daily Dingers, make your free pick on who's hitting a homer Playball Swing for the Fences on FanDuel, an official partner of Major League Baseball. No purchase necessary, opt in required, bonus issued, does non withdrawable profit boost tokens. Restrictions apply, including any token expiration and max wager amount. See terms at sportsbook dot FanDuel dot com. Gambling problem caller Tex one eight hundred gambler.
Speaker 1: We are back here on Snake's territory. Thank you again to all of you for being here with us. Jack. I guess we'll talk a little bit about Tory Leavello and that'll kind of lead us into some more trade deadline shatter. Derek Hall was asked about this on the radio today. Of course, it's no it's no secret. I mean Tory Leavello. His contract is up at the end of the year, as it seems like it always is, and the Diamondbacks have a decision to be made there. Even with the win today split against the Padres, the Dbacks are still a game under five hundred, and I'll bring in the standings here as well. The Diamondbacks are sitting at five and a half games behind the Miami Marlins and the Philadelphia Phillies, who are now tied for the second and third wild card spots, and this is not a great place to be Jack, There's there's no getting around it. The Dbacks would have to jump four teams, and they also are sitting five and a half back, which is a pretty big number.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and don't forget the Marlins hold the tiebreaker advantage three to nothing thanks to that sweep, so they can tie the Marlins, they're really six and a half back. They have to be a game better.
Speaker 1: I guess they have the tiebreaker with the Phillies though right now I.
Speaker 2: Remember, Yeah, they're up to one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I guess you could argue that that they are there. They're six and a half behind Miami, But then they're they're only five and a half behind the Phillies. So maybe we should be viewing Miami as really being the second wild card spot right now and the Phillies being in the third wildcard spot. But no matter how you're going to view that, the Diamondbacks still have a lot of ground to make up here. Things have gotten much worse for them in the standings over the past few weeks, especially as the Miami Marlins have really caught fire been one of the best teams in the league here for a while. And so that brings us back to Tory Levello Jack and the fact that there was a game in this series. I don't think we need to rehash every little thing, but the Wednesday game was obviously very important to all of these games were, and not only did the Diamondbacks lose ten to four, but they played a really sloppy baseball game. There were a lot of mishaps throughout that one, and I think it's fair to wonder if that made Tory Leavello seat a little bit hotter than it was before.
Speaker 2: I think it's more than fair to wonder. I think it's a certainty that it did. Think that it's been getting warmer and warmer. And you know, look, people are emotional, right, and it's not just fans that get emotional or press or podcasters. Ownership gets emotional too. Absolutely, whether you're talking about Ken or Derek, they feel the same things that we do when they're watching these games. And it's their business, it's their ball team, right, so they're going to be even more frustrated than we all are, even if they're raking in the money or whatever they want to win. You know, I know that they want to win. A lot of people think that they don't care about winning, but they really do. I mean, I know these people personally, they care about winning, and so you know, when when things go the way they did and when the team plays like they did, I mean, they have a visceral reaction. And that came out today, I believe. You know, Look, Derek is very professional, and you know, I think he was trying to be measured, but he was very apologetic to the fans about how sloppy and terrible the team looked. He did not pull in punches about that. And you know, when the topic of Tory's job security came up, I was a little confused by the way he phrased it. Like, on the one hand, he's talking about, you know, these are the pieces that you're given, and I don't know if he was trying to say that he wasn't given good enough pieces or if he was trying to say the pieces you've been given are good enough, you should be doing better, you know, But it did ultimately seem to come down to they feel like the team is underperformed despite the injuries that they've had, that the team should be performing better. So you know, now where do is that? We've talked about this for seven, eight, ten minutes on a mailbag the other day. You know, what does that mean? Also for Mike Kaysen, you know, is he in the same boat as Tory or is he in a different situation? His contract runs through twenty eight with a team option for twenty nine. You know, could it be a situation where Tory takes to fall first and then if things don't turn around in a next year or two, then Mike is out. I don't know. I mean that's a lot of speculation, but it's front and center on the topics right now. Toy's seat is more than just warm, it's basically hot. I think he's on the hot seat.
Speaker 1: I think there's been a trend that has formed over the past few years which is troubling for to wear leavelo and makes his seat hotter in a moment like this, and that is that in the biggest moments in the regular season, the Diamondbacks have often faded, right. I mean you think back to even twenty twenty three. I know the World Series happened, and Toy deserves a whole lot of credit for that, But if we're thinking about the last few regular seasons. The d Backs kind of coasted to the end in twenty three and they very much backed their way into the playoffs with eighty four wins, and then you follow up in twenty four, they basically had a playoff spot, secured their playoff odds or you know, north of ninety seven percent with a couple of weeks to go, and they missed the playoffs in twenty twenty four. And then we just had Corbyn Carroll a few days ago very openly talk about how the team was pressing last year around the trade deadline, and certainly that wasn't rocket science. As an observer, it felt that way as well. And now the Diamondbacks find themselves in a very similar position a year later. And so, you know, I think there's a manner in which moving on from Tory Leavello would sort of be him being the fall guy for all of this. I certainly this is not all his fault. That would not be a fair way to frame this. But there is also this narrative developing Jack where you know, the organization could look at this team's performance when it has really mattered the most and see a team that has struggled to rise to the occasion.
Speaker 2: Under Tory Leavello, it's been a I would say, a very consistent thing that when this team has low expectations they do well, and when they have high expectations they do poorly. Yeah, that's been a fairly consistent theme. I don't know why. I don't have an answer for that specifically. I mean you can say, oh, well, it's a manager, but like, what is he doing or not doing? That creates that I don't know, and I know we're fairly close to it, but it's a very difficult thing to tease out like why that occurs. But it's very clear when when expectations are high, they've underperformed. When expectations are low, they've overperformed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's hard to know how much of that is Tory Lavello's doing. How much of that is is there a call reference the roster that he's been given That did sort of feel like, you know, maybe maybe talking about the responsibility that Mike Kazen has in all of this as well. If Peven Smith is on the roster, then you know Tory sort of has to use him at least to a degree, that kind of thing. But yeah, I think it is very fair to say that Tory Lavello is in a difficult position right now, and how the next few weeks, how the next even three days ago, Jack, feels very significant, and that leads us into a look ahead at this weekend as a Diamondbacks head to Los Angeles three games against the Dodgers to finish up the first half of the season. And tomorrow's pitching matchup is kind of a fun one.
Speaker 2: Jack.
Speaker 1: It is Eduardo Rodriguez against Joho Tani. And I'm not sure I ever thought I would say this, but e rod against Otani advantage Diamondbacks, no or something.
Speaker 2: You still have to score. I mean, look, you could go out and catch another excellent game, go seven innings, give up one or two runs. You have to score. Yeah, and question, I can just light up score against on Tani.
Speaker 1: Right, I guess I was saying, like purely from a pitching matchup perspective, you know, But then again, I mean know, Tani's era is still lower than e Rods somehow, Tony's just had an absurd season with a one point seventy nine. So yeah, as good as Eduardo Rodriguez has been this year, there is I think probably no case to be made that the Diamondbacks have the upper hand in that game tomorrow, but nonetheless Dbacks have their ace for the twenty twenty sixth season on the mound. It's going to be a difficult weekend from a pitching matchup standpoint. D Backs get Yamamoto in the Saturday game. He'll go against Brandon Fott, and then it's Zach Gallon against Emmett Shehan listed on Sunday. Jacket appears that Brandon Garcia will not be opening for Gallon on Sunday unless the Diamondbacks pull some last minute switch. There doesn't look like we're getting the opener this time around. So that's what's coming up this weekend. We had some other trade deadline stuff that we were going to talk about. We wound up talking a whole lot about Peven Smith and that decision instead. But we'll circle back to the trade deadline on tomorrow's show and you can find us back here basically twenty four hours from right now. We'll be live after that Diamondbacks Dodgers game, so we would love to see all of you back here then if you haven't already, you can find us on social media. I am at jesse En Friedman on Twitter. Jack is at Shoe Wizard fifty nine, and our show is at Snake's Territory. You can find Jack's written work, including that article about the offense and that deep dive that we were doing earlier. All of that is in written form over at Arizona Diamondbacks on SI, so be sure to check that out as well. Jack, any final thoughts here as we say goodbye, I.
Speaker 2: Just want to respond to a couple of questions. You know, people think that maybe we're letting Mike Asen off here. I mean, I just spent five ten minutes talking about how you know, he did have a good plan for first base. We've talked a lot about things that we felt were deficient in the roster construction. Mike Casen and Tory Levello are joined at the hip. This is an organizational situation. Mike Casen's the boss, but him and Tory Levello are the creators of this baseball team. That's it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that is that is very fair. Certainly are the criticism that we have for Tory Leavello. You know, Mike Hasen shares a lot of that as well. He's the author of this roster, and this roster certainly is not as well constructed as you might like it to be here in twenty twenty six. Once again, we really appreciate all of you being here with us in the Chat, and we will be back tomorrow night with another edition of Snake's Territory at