Speaker 1: Glass.
Speaker 2: When I was in graduate school, I was trying to nail down a topic for my doctoral dissertation. At the same time, I had picked up endurance running as a hobby, and I went for a run with a men's team that I had known for about five minutes at this point, and one of these guys, like a mile like ten or something, handed me this gel and just said, oh, yeah, you should, you should take this. It'll make you it'll make you feel better. And I did, like total candy from a stranger mistake, and you know, within like a couple of miles, I think I was like on the side of the road, like regurgitating the gel. Afterwards, I was sort of reflecting on like, God, that was horrible, Like why on earth would I have taken something that some random person just handed me? And it got me thinking about, you know, what do runners, amateur athletes, competitive athletes understand about performance enhancement and substance use and the policies around it. And that sort of led me to my first study for my doctorate, looking at competitive runners in New York City and what they knew and understood about antidoping policy and how that impacted their choices.
Speaker 1: From Kaleidoscope and iHeart Podcasts. I'm Chris Guymali. This is superhuman. If you've been following this series, you know, the Enhanced Games raises a question that sounds simple but turns out to be anything but what exactly is wrong with doping? To answer that, you need to understand how we got here, how a set of rules built around Victorian ideas of amateurism became the global anti doping system we have today. When we were researching, one name kept coming up as the person to talk to about the history of doping, someone who has spent her career studying exactly that, doctor April Henning, a professor at Harriet Watt University in Edinburgh. April walked me through a pretty fascinating and pretty surprising narrative, starting with the first modern Olympics to how we got to where we are today, somewhere between the strict but perhaps more often than not failing rules of the World Anti Doping Agency and the Enhance Games. This is going to sound like a big, all encompassing historical question, but you know, going back to antiquity, how long have athletes been doping for and what did it look like back then?
Speaker 2: So that is a great, big question. So what we know is that going back and everyone always starts with the original Greek Olympics and these things, and we do know that there is some evidence that they were using all sorts of things to enhance their performance. It was quite rudimentary at the time, but they were various forms of you know, mushroom or types of animal products that they were ingesting to, you know, try to improve their performance. So it does go back into antiquity. From there it sort of falls off. So the sort of competitive sport, as we understand that is really a fairly modern development. So it wasn't really until the end of the eighteen hundreds where we were seeing the development of sort of modern competitive sport and then the rise of doping for sport purposes. So before that, it was doping, but nobody called it doping. It's doping is one of these concepts that it's really defined by the policy against it rather than it being a practice. So we tend to talk about doping in sport, but outside of that, we say performance enhancing drugs or performance hancing substances or things like that. At the initial Olympic Games, what we know is that athletes were indeed using performance enhancing substances. What happened there is that we actually had the sort of very first rule against doping was at the Olympics, and it was specifically for the marathon, which of course was only men able to run this event. And this stated, you know, quite specifically that they weren't allowed to use anything to enhance their performance. And then there was no testing for this, so it was just a rule that wasn't really going to be enforced very well. So at that Olympics, what we saw was the winner, the eventual winner, was helped along to the finish line by a hefty dose of stryp nine and brandy, both of which at the time were thought to be performance enhancing.
Speaker 1: What is the alleged benefit of using strip nine as an athlete.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so basically it was believed to have stimulating properties that it would, you know, sort of increase your energy. That was the perceived benefit of it.
Speaker 1: And what about brandy in this context.
Speaker 2: So this was I'm not completely clear on the brandy. There's a bit there's a bit of a conflict because it's a this is a downer. We wouldn't think that that alcohol. But if you think back, you know, brandy was sort of used as one of these curatives, so you know, if you're if you're feeling faint, they give you a brandy to wake you up. So sort of the belief around that having some stimulating properties, which now, of course we know, you know you shouldn't take strict nine brandy isn't gonna make you more alert. But I think part of it was there was just no concept of the sort of dehydrating effects of alcohol and particularly mixed with poison. So that was sort of the sort of our first known or first recognized modern instance of doping, particularly at something like the Olympics.
Speaker 1: M And as I understand it, that marathon was sort of a mess, right, It was unusually hot and you were only allowed to drink water at one place.
Speaker 2: So the sort of heat and the lack of water, this is a recurring theme in endurance sport and in dopeing. We didn't understand hydration the way that we understand now. We didn't understand nutrition. You know, if you look at modern marathoning or modern endurance sport, there's a table every couple kilometers or every mile with water with electrolytes. Everyone carries their little gels. We understand that part of it better. At that point, there was I think only one stop on the course where you know, hydration was available. And it's a hot day, right, It's a summer Olympics, it's in Europe, it's going to be hot. So this sort of push this idea that maybe we need a boost, you know, like this is you know, sort of how we get people to finish.
Speaker 1: From this moment, there's this sort of delineation between what sort of is seen as a you know, accepted enhancement and what is a little bit more on the verboat inside. What sort of early themes start emerging from this moment of the marathon are finishing the race and him having this stuff in the system versus hydration and water, and like why is that acceptable versus the other stuff that he was using.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so this is this is a bit of a philosophical question that lots of us have wrestled with. So if we think about things like what the Olympics was at this point, the sort of first modern Olympic Games. Amateurism was the name of the game. So actually training itself was a revolutionary technology. This was performance enhancing because lots of these people. They were gentlemen, they were not working class, they were privileged, and the idea was that you just turn up and do these things. Now. Of course, at the same time there were professionalized sports where people did make money from them, and this sort of amateurism is the thing that delineated the where substance use was permitted. So the professionals, there's a great paper by my colleague ask Best Christiansen. The title of it is something like, we're not sportsmen, we're professionals. And the idea is that they're professionals, they're not amateurs, they're not just in this for the sort of love of the sport, and so that sort of emboldened them, or they felt enabled them to go ahead and use some things that wouldn't have been allowed under sort of the Olympic values. When we're talking about doping or performance enhancement, what we're talking about is moving beyond that baseline where it accepted food, water, hydration, nutrition. We're actually moving beyond that and we're looking for sort of a boost that takes us out of that sort of normative territory.
Speaker 1: In terms of competition and using something enhancing for an athlete. It seems like there's this real idea here about class. Can you talk a little bit about this class element to it and where it comes from in terms of doping.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So, sport, and particularly what was then sort of elite Olympic sport, was really the sort of province of the gentleman class. If you sort of look at the people who organize the first few iterations of the modern Olympics, they've all got titles like Sir, Prince Duke. You know, these aren't working class heroes as we like to think of modern day Olympians. So the idea was that if you're an amateur, you're competing in a sport simply for the love of it, that it's about pure competition, it's about sort of seeing what the body can do. Whereas once we move into sort of professionalized sport, the idea is no longer about these ideas. And again these are sort of ideas constructions of what pure sport. And I really don't like these terms because they have no meaning. Really, this balance between it's no longer pure sport. This is sport for a competitive outcome. This is to win, this is to earn money, this is to do something besides just enjoy the competition or to put on a show something like that. So that's really where that tension comes in. And this sort of idea that one would engage in sport for pay was very much looked down upon by this gentleman class. But if you're a working class individual who wants to compete in sport, you're either doing this at the same time that you're trying to earn a living, which reduces your ability your chance. And it was all self funded at this point, so all of the travel to the games, all of the training, so this excluded a whole segment of socioeconomic classes that were just never going to be able to do this. So that's part of that sort of traditional divide where we really saw this as being something for the gentleman, and then this other stuff was maybe for the working classes if they wanted to enter or compete for money, but that was not meant to be part of the Olympics. Initially, the design of the original modern Olympics was that these were meant to be an amateur thing, and that this amateur ethos would carry through and this was what we're going to build our values around, and that was really the underpinning for the very first antidoping rules within the Olympic movement.
Speaker 1: I wanted to jump to the nineteen sixty Romalympics and that cycling race, which was such a pivotal moment in the history of all of this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so the nineteen sixty Games were actually quite pivotal in the sort of development of antidoping and the push for the IOC to take this seriously and to actually do something. So what happened at the nineteen sixty Games, so this is the Rome Olympics, is that we have a summer Games in Rome, and Rome is hot in the summer. So we have a cycling race, and we have the Danish cycling team is competing and one of their cyclists is the twenty one year old nude Anamark Jensen, and Jensen is competing in the heat of the day, so afternoon it's four degree celsius one hundred and five degrees fahrenheit and with inadequate hydration, inadequate fueling the way that we would consider it now, and tragically Jensen dies in the course of this race. Now, when he comes off his bike, he's attended to by the medical personnel they bring him into the medical tent to try to revive him, to try to give him medical attention, and unfortunately the medical tent was even hotter than the afternoon air in Rome, so this was probably close to fifty degrees cel state, so one hundred and ten plus degrees fahrenheit, which actually just exacerbated things and likely made things worse. They were unable to revive Jensen, so he did end up dying, and in the wake of this, his national team coach was interviewed about what happened in this race, and he mentions that his team had been given this drug called Ryanical, which is a vasodilator, which was intended to help enhance their performance. This was actually picked up by the media and misrepresented as being an amphetamine, and once this made it into the media, even though it was incorrect, the IOC and others, who were already predisposed against the use of performance enhancing substances and sport took this and ran with it. So this linking of Jensen's death with amphetamines led this push to we must do something. We must do something to address the issue of particularly amphetamine use in sport, but also just doping in general. So What this ended up turning into was the development and the establishment of the IOC's Medical Commission in nineteen sixty seven, which was tasked with coming up with a set of rules around performance enhancing drugs and doping. Now, the interesting bit of this is that because this was all based on a mistake Jensen, it wasn't revealed until the two thousands when the Danish media did a deeper dive into what actually caused Jensen's death, where they looked at the autopsy report and found that actually Jensen didn't have amphetamines in his body, so his death wasn't actually caused by any drug. It was likely caused by the conditions of the day, inadequate hydration, poor fueling, and just bad luck. But this one mistake was enough to change the course of sporting and antidoping history in that the IOC appoints this Medical Commission that laid out the framework for antidoping that we still see today under the advisement of the World Antidoping Agency. So this whole approach that was laid out in nineteen sixty seven as a result of cases like Jensen's is actually the system, basically the framework for the system that we.
Speaker 1: Still have when we talk about sort of like you know, testosterone and steroid use, can you talk about the first and since that that sort of came prevalent in this sport.
Speaker 2: Oh, so this is really unclear and there is some disagreement about where the development of synthetic testosterone really came from. What we do know is that it was during the nineteen fifties and that the sort of alleged story that is again controversial, was that there was a weightlifting coach who was visiting the Soviet Union and noticed that the athletes there were using a sort of synthesized testosterone that to improve their strength, and decided that he was going to bring this back to America and we were going to try this. And when that happened, it started within the weightlifting and particularly the bodybuilding communities. And it's generally associated with the West coast of the US California, Venice Beach, specifically Muscle Beach.
Speaker 3: Muscle Beach, where we're thirty dollars a year or three dollars a day you can join a club and look like this. Maku Beach is the only gym of its kind in the world.
Speaker 1: The being better California Mack will.
Speaker 3: Be all the great have worked out here, mister t Arnold Hulk Hogan.
Speaker 2: And this was right at the time that we saw the sort of shift in what male bodies looked like. And as we progress through the nineteen sixties, when this really started being used into the seventies and eighties, we see the rise of bodies like that of you know, the most famous bodybuilder of all, which is Arnold Schwarzeneger.
Speaker 4: I mean, you come down here the muscle beach and the Venice Peach platform, and you train first that many decades like I have, and pumped up the body and got tanned, and win the championships and eventually build a building to have you on the building a picture of my winning pose. And that's right here, paw. How about that?
Speaker 2: Huh? His body is still often held up as sort of the perfect symmetrical male bodybuilder. Once these things start being used, even in these sort of fringes, but it becomes clear that they are effective, they make their way into sport. And frankly, when these first started being introduced into sport, there weren't explicit rules against them, and there was no test, There was no mechanism for regulating these or for catching anyone. So you know, amphetamines in some ways made a lot of sense for antidoping because developing a test for an amphetamine is pretty straightforward. Developing a test for an animalic steroid was much more difficult, partly because there's different ways of synthesizing them, there's different ways of testing for them, there's different ways of using them, and how sensitive tests could be at that point to actually detect steroid use. So this it actually took quite a bit of time after these became used in sport, before antidoping was able to develop any form of useful test for steroids.
Speaker 1: Going to the sixties, specifically, I was struck in reading around how elaborate some of these, like national doping programs were, specifically, like the East German one. I'm wondering if you could talk a little bit about that program and how it fits into the enforcement issue.
Speaker 2: So these German program was extensive, it included a huge number of athletes, tens of thousands of athletes, and it was effective. So at the time East Germany began a program of doping athletes, and these included athletes that were considered developmental athletes, so those that were on their way to becoming international level. So this was directed by the States, so this was state sponsored doping, but they determined that athletes were going to be given anabolic steroids as well as a list of other things to enhance their sporting performance. Now the issue, there are many issues with what happened in East Germany. One is around the issue of knowledge and consent of the athletes that were included. So there appears to be a range of consent that and understanding amongst the athletes themselves. Some of them knew what was happening and went along with it. Some of them did not know what they were being given. You know, there are reports that have come out and some of the victims themselves have actually spoken out, become academics themselves written about this, but that some of them became aware that they were getting something that wasn't just a vitamin when they started developing. Side of hets so clear, you know, sort of what we would think of our human rights violations, you know, drugging people without consent. The other part of it was the sort of shocking effectiveness of this regime. So East Germany really punched above their weight in terms of their metal hole. So East Germany was actually quite a small country, not very populous. It wouldn't have been predicted to be on par with countries like the US with the Soviet Union, with its West German counterpart, it would often we understand that population size and economic strength actually are great predictors of how will you do at international sporting competitions, and they were doing extremely well. So this did raise red flags as well as some of the appearances of many of the athletes, in particularly the women athletes.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, side effects, Yeah, what kind of things were we seeing?
Speaker 2: So the women themselves when they would turn up at competitions, there were often comments and comments that would be picked up by the media from spectators from other athletes about how masculine it looked, so large muscles, what they perceived to be very square jaws, just basically having sort of what we'd understand to be sort of a masculine look to them. Now, the actual side effects that these women were experiencing are what we still see in women who use anabolic steroids, So things like a deep in voice, growth of facial and other body hair, the sort of enlarged clitorous acne, all of the sort of effects on sort of their secondary sex characteristics. There are masculinizing effects to using these substances, particularly in the types of doses that some of these women were getting. You know, the East German government wasn't giving them small doses. They were giving them the highest doses they could get away with. Within the men, it's a little less obvious because generally speaking, they were using synthetic testosterone to get these effects, and in men it sort of amplified the things that we already think of as being masculine in men. So it made their muscles bigger, maybe made their voices deeper, may have increased facial hair, acne, all of the same things. It can also lead to some side effects, and these are just general side effects of using and Buxeris can lead to genocamastia, which is the sort of growth and breast tissue in men, can lead to impacts on testicular size. So all of these things were occurring in the men. It was just a bit more difficult to see it so clearly within the men than it was within the women.
Speaker 1: After the break nineteen eighty eight Summer Olympics doping scandal that changed everything, I wanted to ask you about like, okay, after the Shermans, you know, the Olympics start testing athletes. Do you remember which games these were specifically?
Speaker 2: So, the first test for antaalox steroids was actually developed in the mid nineteen seventies, nineteen seventy four, seventy four. What games would that have been? Seventy six, seventy eight. And this meant that the International Olympic Committee, amongst others, could formally prohibit these. So they had been on the list of things that you weren't supposed to do, but without an enforcement mechanism, there wasn't a lot that could be done apart from catching somebody in the act of using them. And you know, the first tests were fairly rudimentary. They basically could say whether or not there was the presence of a metabolite. So when these were ruled out, this meant that those who were using these had to change their oh to avoid getting caught. So in a country like East Germany, what this meant was that they started pre testing their athletes before they sent them to competitions to ensure that they wouldn't flag a dope. Big test. Now, this also meant that the science of how quickly substances cleared, the body progressed rapidly. They had a fairly good idea about how long it would take for the sort of metabolites to become undetectable based on the current testing, because they were subjecting their athletes to testing ahead of time. Now, this led in some cases to being at competitions where we would sometimes see athletes drop out of events on short notice or with no notice. They just wouldn't turn up for an event if they it was sort of understood that there was going to be testing, but because it was limited to the incompetition testing, it was still fairly easy to get around the test.
Speaker 1: So you know, these policies are rulled out and testing is instituted. Did it actually help keep competition fair?
Speaker 2: It depends what you mean by fair in the sense that everyone was going to be tested at the competition under a sort of systemized way. Then Yet, if it meant that everyone had equal opportunity to use, stop use, and avoid testing positive during those tests, then also yes, If it meant that people were actually put off of using these substances, then no, we know that was not the case, and this became very clear in possibly the most pivotal scandal in sport doping history, which was Ben Johnson at the nineteen eighty eight Olympics. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Can you talk a little bit about that, like what happened and what that sort of did for the rise of the anti doping movement.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So the Ben Johnson case, which I will say first, in my view, is one of the great miscarriages of sport justice, not because he didn't do anything wrong, but because of the way that the story has been framed historically. So basically, in nineteen eighty eight, we're going into the Summer Olympics, and of course one of the perennially most popular events at the Summer Games is the men's one hundred meter final. Going into nineteen eighty eight, there was actually quite a rivalry setup that had been hyped by the media between Ben Johnson, who's a Canadian sprinter, and Carl Lewis, who is the very well known American sprinter.
Speaker 5: At this moment, Carlows starts his quest for four gold medal, a chance to succeed and to walk where no other athlete has ever been, or to fail and fail magnificently.
Speaker 2: So we get into the final and in news that will shock no One. Both Ben Johnson and Carl Lewis were there. We're really fortunate here that you have two men absolutely in their prime in the Olympic final. Usually now the race goes off.
Speaker 5: We started is Ben Johnson dart bet.
Speaker 2: And the thing that did shock everyone was that Ben Johnson beat Carl Lewis.
Speaker 4: It's bet.
Speaker 2: And there are some really great images that you can find of that race where after they crossed the finish line you see this very triumphant Johnson and then just over his shoulder we see this very confused and shocked Carl Lewis, who cannot believe he didn't win this race. I just don't know how he does it, or whether he gets a hypnotist or something, but he does something to stimulate him in the finals. Now, immediately after this, Ben Johnson and others in that final were given an anti doping test, and the next day Ben Johnson is told that his has comeback positive and he's going to have his gold medal taken away. Now, this was a surprise to Johnson, again not because he denied using steroids, but that he was convinced that he had stopped using them in plenty of time before the Games that he shouldn't have tested positive and actually the drug that he was found to have tested positive four he claims he never actually used. When this story broke, this was an overnight scandal and this dominated headlines.
Speaker 6: But the main story of the night doesn't concern the spirit of competition, but a man who's judged to have cheated. Ben Johnson, celebrated on Saturday as the Olympic one hundred meters champion, the fastest man of the world, fails a drug test, is stripped to the gold medal and leaves the Olympic city in disgrace.
Speaker 2: This is the biggest story around those Olympics, and because of the sort of size of this scandal and the profile of this event and these athletes, the IOC really could not not do anything about this. So after the Games, you know, he goes he goes back to Canada and there is an inquiry opened by the Canadian government and this was an investigation into steroid use but also performance enhancement generally in Canadian sport, and Ben Johnson cooperated. Basically, what they found was that the use of steroids was absolutely widespread across Canada. The Ben Johnson scandal also kicked off similar investigations in other countries. So Sweden had its own investigation that happened. There was something similar that happened in the US, not quite the same scale, but there was some talk amongst US sporting officials that actually, maybe they should be doing better to keep up with the Canadians on this. So what happened in Canada put pressure on other countries to start paying attention to how this, how this was used. That actually it turns out that steroid use is much more widespread in sport than anyone thought. Now back to that original Games where Johnson lost his medal, one of the Olympic officials, a high level officials who was actually at the games, that was a gentleman named Dick Pound. Now Dick Pound was tasked with guiding Ben Johnson in the wake of his positive test. Dick Pound was also Canadian. He was a lawyer, so this did make sense. Now. What happened as a result of this is that Dick Pound, I think, was quite upset that he felt misled by Johnson who proclaimed innocence even in the face of this positive test, and he actually committed himself to this sort of idea of antidoping and sport of this fight against doping. So about ten years later Dick Pound becomes the first president of the World Antidoping Agency.
Speaker 1: So the creation of the World Anti Doping Agency, what countries were on board initially? Was it all the Olympic countries or was it to.
Speaker 2: Select view So in nineteen ninety nine was when WADA was created after the conference at Luzon that was called by the IOC, But really this came as a result of pressure from national governments following the Festina affair at the nineteen ninety eight Tour de France, and this was where several teams, but particularly the Festina racing team, were found to be engaging in performance enhancement using all sorts of drugs and techniques, and it was this became a police action, a French police action, because it was actually a team official, Willie Bohett, driving a team car into France and he got stopped at the border and his car was searched and they found all sorts of doping paraphernalia, substances, things he wasn't supposed to have, but because it was found by the border police, it actually became a police matter. So this meant the French government had to be involved, so there were hotel raids, there were all of these things, and actually the cyclists themselves were really upset at the police action, so they actually staged a sit in protest at the beginning of the Tour de France against this sort of interference in the sport. Even though this was against the rules, it was sort of one of these open secrets within the sport that sort of everybody was doing it, but actually they now involved the police. Now, as a result of this, every other country in the world said, we do not want to be in the position that France is in. So the IOC needs to do something. They have to do something. So the IOC at this point was the global policy making body for antidoping in sport, and they felt that they had this pretty much under control. Yes, this was a scandal. Here's what we'll do. We'll call a meeting, everybody will get together and lose on, will come up with some new ideas, and basically they expected to leave that meeting still in control of antidoping. What they did not expect was sort of the pushback from national governments who do not want to repeat of what happened in France. So this ends up with an agreement to set up a quasi independent body that would be the sort of global policy maker for antidoping in sport, and this is where we get the World Antidoping Agency.
Speaker 1: Can you elaborate on quasi a little bit?
Speaker 4: So?
Speaker 2: The reason that I say that is because the idea that you would have sports or countries making and enforcing antidoping policy themselves was a bit like the fox looking after the henhouse, right that, really, would they be willing to turn their own athletes in or would the Olympics want that sort of negative publicity that they would have to give themselves by holding superstar athletes accountable. So what they wanted was something that was a bit more independent than that, that would be a real regulatory body. The problem is that to fund something like this, that money had to come from somewhere, because antidoping is it was and remains extremely expensive. So the WATA budget was agreed to be covered fifty percent by the Olympic movement and fifty percent by the sort of member countries. So in the past few years there's been a lot of tension between USADA in the United States and WADA. The reason that this becomes such a big deal is because as the US threatened to do at multiple points is withhold their contribution to the WADA budget. It's such a big proportion that actually it really constricts what WADA can actually do.
Speaker 1: After the break, we get into Water's legacy and April's thoughts on the enhanced Games. Since the establishment of WATA, there've been at least two major scandals, and I'm thinking about Lance Armstrong twenty twelve the Russian doping scandal in twenty sixteen. I'm curious for your take on like what wata's legacy to this point is sort of looking like in your head.
Speaker 2: I think WATA and antidoping in the Olympic movement was initially extremely well intentioned. The idea of keeping sport fair and safe, I think, are generally speaking positive things. I think part of the issues with WATA and some of the issues for its legacy are around the way that they have decided to define that and the way that they have decided to implement that. So, in terms of the complete one hundred percent zero tolerance prohibition approach, strict liability leaves no room for error. This means literally the different athlete makes a mistake and ingests something without even realizing they're doing it, they can still be on the hook if they return a positive sample. Now there are some mitigations to that, but what we have seen is that actually it's really really difficult unless you have a lot of money and a lot of very sophisticated legal support to actually have a defense against a positive doping test. That's a real problem because we also know that athletes are human, they're fallible, they make mistakes. But it also leaves no room for development or for innovation in terms of what people might use, what might be useful, what might even be healthy. Based on this sort of quite conservative approach to WATA. Now, I think that has led to a quite a bit of backlash in some ways. So when we see athletes being punished for simple mistakes, or conversely, we see athletes that because we've been conditioned to not believe any of the reasonings for a positive test, we see athletes who get off without much punishment at all, and we sort of go, is that really fair? Is that really fair? You're not gonna you're not gonna do anything about that. Is it because they're wealthy? Is it because there it's that country, what is the reasoning around that? And it's set up a lot of mistrust in sport, the vogue to hell is paid with good intentions, but in this case it really does seem that there could have been different choices made. There could have been a bit more flexibility or allowing a bit more of an athlete voice that hasn't been taken up.
Speaker 1: And what sort of is the incentive for WATA in terms of like being permissive for say, Russian athletes competing. What is the sort of the incentive for them to allow those athletes to still compete under a slightly different flag even though they have a zero tolerance policy.
Speaker 2: Supposeily this goes back to the sort of entwined ideas of sport claiming to be politically neutral or apolitical, which is clearly impossible. Neutrality is a political choice, but also the sort of tension with the desire to avoid collective punishment. So the idea that we actually shouldn't be punishing those who haven't done anything wrong, but that they have to hold the actual federation or the club or the team or whatever it is, that they have to hold that unit accountable. But in practice we all have eyes. We all have ears. We've all seen what the independent athletes from Russia look like at the Russian Games. They're not supposed to have flags, they're not supposed to have these things. But there's still a team. There's still independent athletes to Marutia that has become a team in itself. There was no good option for them at that point because there was no mechanism to deal with state sponsored doping built into the WATER Code. There was no contingency plan, there was no there's nothing. So they were really on the back foot on that one, trying to figure out, Okay, how do we hold this system accountable while not disadvantaging the athletes and also Russia. Let's be real, it always comes back to money. Russia is one of the biggest media markets for international sport, particularly the Olympic Games. You ban Russian athletes, Russians aren't going to tune in nearly at the same way. So that would cost the IOC or any of these sports federations lots of money, which they don't want to give up.
Speaker 1: What do you see as being like a sort of smarter approach that an organization like water could take going forward.
Speaker 2: I'm an academic and I'm part of an academic community of researchers who have made lots and lots of recommendations or suggestions over the years, and none of them have been taken up. One of the things that many of us have said is that the sort of zero tolerance, prohibitive approach is going to eventually lead to some sort of backlash. And some of the things that we've suggested in the interim or to prevent this, or to make this a bit more fair instead of just this black white yes note, would be to do things like shorten the prohibited substances list. So every year this list gets longer. There it is rare for anything to be removed from this list, But every year this list gets longer, And as this gets longer, it gets harder and harder to follow, and harder and harder to avoid things that are on it. What if we actually only include things that are demonstrated to be performance enhancing in some way. What if we focus on just the things that have demonstrated ability to harm an individual At the end of the day, antidoping is a set of arbitrary lines around what is and what isn't allowed. So other recommendations so The one that I advocate for is actually that we have as a sort of scaled approach, so as you're going up through the sort of levels of sport competition, that your levels of education and support are actually increased as you go up. You know, if you're fifteen sixteen years old, you live with your parents, or do you get to decide what goes into your dinner? You know, these types of things. Should we be holding them to the same standard as grown men and women who do have control over these things, and who have lots and lots of coaching and metal support and oversight and people to look out for these things. Those are not the same.
Speaker 1: When did you first hear about the enhanced Games? And what was sort of your reaction to them?
Speaker 2: So very different from what it is now. So I first heard about this on Twitter. Actually, someone forwarded me some tweet. I think it was probably from Aaron Desuza himself talking about this idea for the enhanced Games, and all good academics we've all gone through the sort of mental exercise of God, what would it be like if we did sport and we let people use whatever they wanted. It is a sort of an academic exercise that you do. So initially I was quite I was just curious, curious enough that two years ago we invited Aaron Desuza as the keynote speaker for the International Network of Doping Researchers that I'm the joint director of. And he came and gave us his basically his pitch for what this was and why this was a great idea, And Yeah, took some questions, many he didn't have great answers to while acknowledging that he's not a scientist, he's not a doctor. He's not he's not even a sports doctor. To be fair. He came, he took the questions, and Yeah, I left with very very different view of things than when I went in. I'll put it that way.
Speaker 1: What was the main part of his argument that sort of made a flip swhich in your head that.
Speaker 2: It had very little to do with sport, That this became very clearly it was profit motivated and this was a way of leveraging sport and athletes' bodies to sell enhancement products to the public. Yeah, which I am fully aware that alcohol companies, tobacco companies, oil companies, all of these things that we may not love are some of the biggest sponsors and supporters of professional and elite sport. I fully understand that the difference here was the sort of idea that we're going to take all of the guardrails off and we're going to the one athlete who I'm sure he regrets saying this in this way, but you know, I'm going to dope to the gills. Well, we know those some of us who do this work, We know what this can look like, and we also understand what needs to be done in order to minimize the long term risk to athlete health. Because as much as criticism I have against WATA, I actually do think athlete health should be the priority. They're doing it safely, and then they're sort of rushing into it before you have your ducks in a row.
Speaker 1: What struck me about them was this really moderated approach in terms of athlete safety, like constant monitoring, constant testing, and constant reassessment about whether something is working or not for them. Do you see an idea like this being something that can actually make a difference in the world of sport that do you think it could have any positive change?
Speaker 2: I think in some ways yes, So I think there's already been some positive change, so we've now seen so one of the big one of his big talking points is that he's going to compensate athletes in a very different way. So at the last Athletics Track and Field a World Athletics Championships, we see price purses in ways that we haven't seen them before, and I cannot believe that's not directly related to this push that athletes are going Actually, we need to be compensated in a more fair way. You make so much money off of us. You look at how much the Olympics turns over in any given olympiad and it's huge, It's in the billions, and athletes get a very small amount of that. There is there has been that in terms of the enhancement stuff. I will be honest, I do not see that moving. What he's doing or what he's proposing for these athletes is not new. So one of my main areas of research has been on internet forums, looking at people who use animaloic steroids specifically, but a whole range of performance enhancing drugs and how they do it safely, sometimes less safely, the risks that they're willing to take this isn't new. Maybe this seems like it gives it a bit of a legitimate platform, But at some point, what happens when we break the world record? Where do we go from there? Because eventually is can we continue this push? Is the development and the way of using these substances going to be able to keep up with that sort of first for new records and breaking boundaries and all of these things, or is this going to be a one off maybe a two off event, because really the purpose behind this is contract with pharmaceutical companies, and so it's sort of this blending of the performance culture, anti aging, panic around wellness, the imperative to be well, to be healthy, to constantly be better, and the sort of neoliberalization of life that's been going on for decades. I mean, the idea that you're not well. It's like do I need another product or do I need universal healthcare?
Speaker 1: April, This is so good, This is so fantastic. This stuff I found absolutely enthralling and fascinating and worth talking about.
Speaker 2: Nice to meet you and yeah thanks.
Speaker 1: Superhuman is a Kaleidoscale production in partnership with iHeart Podcasts. The series is produced, reported, and co hosted by Sam Egan then Emzzi's mental is our senior producer. Production support from Dara Luk Potts, Edited by Kate Osborne, Editorial consulting by Adiza Egan, Original composition by Hannis Brown, mixing by Pran Bandy, Reported and hosted by me Chris Guyamali. From Kaleidoscope, Our executive producers are Kate Osborne, Ozwa Oshan Mangeshati Kador and Kosislinos. Julia Nutter is the head of Studio for Kaleidoscope, and From My Heart. Our executive produces our Katrina Norval and Nikki Etor. If you like what you're hearing, subscribe to the feed now so you don't miss our next straw