Speaker 1: Hi, everybody. Welcome to another edition of Packers Unscripted in twenty twenty four. A happy new year out there from Packers dot Com. I am Mike Spofford, joined as always by my trusted colleague Weston Hodkowitz. Coming to you hear from our studios at Lambeufield and West here to talk about a big victory for the Green Bay Packers. It came on Sunday Night football at US Bank Stadium in Minneapolis. Thirty three to ten was the final score over the Vikings. And the bottom line is this. The Packers have gotten themselves to eight and eight. They are in a position where it is win to get in to the postseason. And when this team was two and five, when this team was three and six, when this team was six and eight, this situation is the best you could possibly ask for. That the Packers got themselves back in the race, they got the help they needed, and now it's in their hands.
Speaker 2: I was looking over the Internet before I popped in here to shoot on scripted. We do that sometimes from time to time, as my former colleague Pete Doherty say, I'm going to read the Internet for a minute, and what I saw was NFL bringing up the graphic of the AFC playoff picture and the NFC playoff picture and to see the green Bay Packers back into that number seven spot after everything they went through. I think Matt Lafleur had some very poetic words after that win over the Carolina Panthers in the locker room. He mentioned how they all count the same and you have to keep yourself alive. Green Bay did. That was not their best performance in Carolina, but conversely to some of their poorer performances this season, they got the win and how quickly things can change over a one week span of time. They going into US Bank Stadium and Michael if I would have closed my eyes at several moments of that game, other than the fact that there was tons of fans around me with the open air press box, in some ways almost felt like a game at lambeau Field. Yeah, the energy in there after the first quarter, The way the Packers performed probably pound for pound, the best game Green Bay has played this season. It was not perfect, but when you look at how efficient the offense was fourner and seventy yards, you look at the defense getting two takeaways in the first half and converting those into thirteen points. I felt like the Green Bay Packers made a statement that we are very much still alive in this thing, and with getting a little bit of help from the Pittsburgh Steelers, now are in control their own destiny. Yeah.
Speaker 1: It truly is a week to week league, and that just gets proven over and over again. As you said, everybody was wondering, Okay, just where is this Packers team? The offense is doing all right, but the defense seems kind of shaky. You barely escape Carolina, the team that would have the number one draft pick next season if not for the fact that they already traded it to the Bears. And then, as we talked about last week, you're thinking the Rams and the Buccaneers are the two teams really on the rise here in the end, and the Buccaneers completely fall flat in a big division game for them, and the Rams nearly get beat on the road against a Giants team, a Giants team that beat the Packers about a month ago, and and the Rams would have lost that game if a former Packers kicker, Mason Crosby had been able to make a kick, or if the Giants could have just gotten him a little bit closer instead, of leaving him with a fifty four yarder. But all that aside, this game against the Vikings really, for me, it just it showed that Jordan Love is not done taking steps forward. I thought he, you know, for the venue, you know, primetime, under the lights, what was at stake for the Packers. I thought Jordan Love was absolutely outstanding in this game. I mean he still, yes, he had a couple of throws he would like to have back, you always do, but one hundred and twenty five passer rating, three touchdowns. I believe now his passer rating over the last seven games is approaching one hundred and ten. It's like one away or one o nine, something like that. And he was absolutely masterful in this game. And actually, my what you might have Missed piece that is now up on the Packers' website has a handful of clips of just of how Jordan Love was getting all the information you needed at the line of scrimmage, getting you know, the right protection calls and everything to set everything up for the Packers to succeed. And it just it felt like maybe other than you know, the missed fourth and one throw to bow Melton, which was really really close, it felt like after the initial three and out in this game, the Packers offense was just in a rhythm and wasn't going to be stopped.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's funny even that Melton play. I mean, he had a little bit of pass rush in his face, kind of an off platform throw, and after that happened, I was sort of thinking to myself and it was funny. In the locker room after its bow, Melton was lamenting the fact that he still didn't catch that he felt like he still could have gotten that ball.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I thought. I thought that was one where yes, the throw could have been better, it also could have been caught. You know, it was. It was one of those that kind of goes both ways.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But what I was thinking about efforts, I'm like, you watch an average NFL game, and I watched a lot of football this weekend while waiting for this one quarterback play doesn't look as efficient on a week two week basis as Jordan Love made it look in that much pressure in Minnesota, both figuratively and literally.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he saw a lot in this game, and yet he made the throws he needed to make, and he did it routinely. It's not a situation now where well, there's too many incompletions or why is he throwing these deep balls? It's starting to turn into more Oh wow, how many consecutive completions were there? How many plays has he made? And particularly you know, I wrote that story last week about the goal to goal situations and the way that he commands the line of scrimmage when there's points on the line is probably something that I think has really impressed me this year. Him having thirty touchdown passes thirty four scores on the season. That's not an anomaly. This guy knows how to put points on the board. And in a game like this against the Minnesota Vikings, who were starting a rookie fifth round pick at quarterback, Jordan Love really did look like the veteran and his team played like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I think Love's touchdown pass total is now up to like third in the league, you know, right now. There's a lot to be said for that. And what's impressed me the most about Love as well when you look at how things have gone the last couple of months, is he is making it work no matter who is out there. The Packers have had injuries at the perimeter positions running back, tight end, wide receiver all throughout the season, and there were a lot of struggles early. But now that Jordan Love has hit his stride and really gotten this offense into a groove, you know, it didn't matter that Dontavian Wicks was a late scratch. You know, they were hoping maybe he'd be available, but then he wasn't. You know, Christian Watson's been out for multiple weeks now. Jaden Reid has been in and out of the lineup with injuries. Luke Musgrave the Packers are still maybe hoping to get him back, but he's not back yet. It hasn't mattered because Jordan Love makes it work with whoever whoever's out there. Read before he had to leave the game at halftime with what appears to be kind of a recurrence of the chest injury or something got reaggravated there. He catches two touchdowns. He breaks Sterling Sharp's rookie record for receptions, a record that had stood around here for thirty five years. Bo Melton thrice elevated now from the practice squad to the active roster, and now he's been signed to the active roster. He becomes the first Packers receiver with a one hundred yard game, catches the deep shot from Sean Clifford at the end there to get over one hundred, and then the little engine that could, so to speak, as we talked about last week, Aaron Jones is in the backfield, just crank it out yards one hundred and twenty rushing yards again. The Packers went into the game in Carolina with not a single one hundred yard rushing or one hundred yard receiving performance this season, and now in the last two games they have three of them. Jones has been over one hundred yards rushing twice and now Melton goes over one hundred yards receiving. The guys that are around Jordan Love have elevated their games right along with Loves. In Jones' case, it was a matter of getting healthy. We've seen Aaron Jones do all this before. But all those other guys, their games are you know, their arrows are pointing up the same way. Jordan Loves is well.
Speaker 2: And just like I wrote a story because spoiler alert, the tight Ends are going to be featured on the Game Day program on Sunday. I wrote this story on Josiah Deguara and the tight Ends and you know Tucker Kraft everything he's done over three hundred yards receiving now in the season, two touchdowns that all happened, and really this whole second half of the season too, since you know Luke Musgrave got hurt and believe that was the Chargers game right at the last rated kidney. And now you suddenly have the stat that Tom Fanning from our communications staff was pumping out about how Craft is now what the seventh rookie tight end since nineteen seventy to have four straight games of forty four plus catches and forty five plus receiving yards. Yeah, I mean, just uncommon production, Mike. You don't always get that from NFL tight ends period, regardless of whether or not you're a rookie. But bringing it back to your initial point there, one, if you're gonna be down all these receivers, if you're gonna be down all these playmakers, Aaron Jones is the guy you need, and he's been that guy back to back games. First time. He's had one hundred plus rushing yards and back to back games since the end of the twenty nineteen season. The offense just typically isn't structured like that, but they've needed to feed Jones the last couple of weeks, and they did it again on Sunday. Aj Dillon has to go out with the stinger. That meant more Aaron Jones late in the four minute offense situations. I thought he thrived in that. But the last thing before I turn it back over to you is bow Melton. Because I've written about it, I've talked about it. I know you and I have had discussions about this. I have so much respect for this young man and you saw the way he carried himself when he came in the building line last year, just looking for an opportunity. Really super quick guy, little bit undersized, right, but kind of in that same sort of area as Jaden Reid in terms of his measurables. He doesn't make the roster. The Packers do draft three receivers. A lot of questions there about okay, well, where exactly a you're going to fit into this thing?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: He stuck around. He stayed on the practice squad. He wasn't active for the first two and a half months of the year, and then in a situation like this where not only does he have to be a starter for the first time, his career. Not only is he a part of the offense when they lose Jayden Reid, he was one of their biggest playmakers in the second half, just moving the chains, not even explosive plays. That's what this thing's all about. And when you hear guys like Aaron Jones and Adam Stenovitch, the offensive coordinator, talk about how deep this room is, the fact they've done that in a complete overhaul in the last two years, that's remarkable.
Speaker 1: Michael, Yeah, it absolutely is. You look at what Melton has done. As you say, he was an inactive on game day, on the practice squad for the bulk of the season, and now here the Packers are in a playoff push and Jordan Love is looking for bow Melton on third down. He's looking for bo Melton when the blitz is in his face because he knows where Melton's route is going to be, and he's going to put the ball out there and let him go get it. Melton also gets his first NFL touchdown, and you actually had the list in your Insider Inbox column on Tuesday. Seven players this season have caught their first NFL touchdown from Jordan Love. I mean, that's remarkable in itself. I can't even I don't even know how you put together or how you figure out the list or whether that's some kind of a record or not. But where the Packers are and we'll see what happens this week. Obviously, you know they were running some tests on Jaden Reid with him having to leave the game, and he was obviously on his way to one hundred yards receiving. He had eighty nine with two touchdowns at halftime. You know he was going to get his one hundred yard game, but unfortunately had to leave. We'll see what his status is. We'll see don Tavian Wis, We'll see about Christian Watson and Luke Musgrave here in this must win game coming up against the Bears. But and this is this is what I wrote about on the bus ride slash plane ride back after the game for my rapid reaction piece, because the question you and I are getting the most is what is the difference between the Packers being in that must win game in Week eighteen at home against the division rival last year where it was Detroit and they were playing well, and now it's the same situation this year another division rival in Chicago, who is playing well. And we'll talk more about the Bears on our on our next episode. So what's what's the difference? And to me, the difference is where the Packers offense is and it's what Jordan Love is doing. Last year, yes, the Packers got on a run late in the season, but the red zone problems, the gold to go problems were not fixed the Packers where they were getting a bunch of turnovers on defense, but then the offense was still kicking field goals. You know, the Packers' special teams got the touchdown against Minnesota on the Nixon return and a pick six by Darnell Savage. They were racking up a bunch of points. It wasn't the offense that was doing it. And those problems on the Packers offense last year reared their ugly head when the season was on the line against the Lions. This Packers offense in twenty twenty three is in a completely different place with completely different personnel than the Packers had a year ago. And so for me like that, that's what makes going into this game feel so different from Week eighteen last year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you I mean you hit it. That's the one A one b That is the biggest part. I think when you talk about the offense and where things are at, the only thing I will build off of that. I'll just say this. The Packers in twenty twenty two were a more veteran team that got better as the season were on. They got better in the month of December. They played more like a teamment football. This Packers team in twenty twenty three is better because of progression and because of players that were in roles early on that maybe they weren't quite ready for in the first couple of weeks of the season now being catalysts to their specific phase. And then much like all these seasons. I know we'll pivot here shortly into the defense, I'm sure, but you look at a guy like Corey Ballentine and go back to Rasseul Douglas and these guys, and again going back to bow Melton. These guys that maybe when you had your first fifty three at the beginning of the year you were set in your depth charts at home or trying to figure out, okay, what is going to be the chain of command With the way these things are schemed up. They aren't the guys that you were really having written down and sharpie as Okay, these are the core players. But over the course of a season, when your roster is fifty three players, when you can only dress forty eight on game days, you have guys that are suddenly thrust into positions. They could be a rookie, they could be a fifty year player, but they own that and they become invaluable to what you're doing. And that's ultimately what you need. Michael. It's progression, veteran and young player alike.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, on the defensive side of the ball, you brought up you brought up Corey Ballentine, and the Packers also went with Carrington Valentine, those two who were integral to the Packers, you know, kind of getting things going defensively. In November, they ended up being the guys on Sunday Night in Minneapolis because j R. Alexander was suspended for the one game and then Eric Stokes had a recurrence of his hamstring injury prior to the trip to Minneapolis and he was placed on injured reserve. His season is over, So the Packers went back to CV and CB as they are known in the locker room, you know, against Justin Jefferson and Jordan Addison and kJ Osbourne and you know what ends up happening. Justin Jefferson is held to five just for fifty nine yards. Jordan Addison has a twenty yard reception but that's about all that he does, and kJ Osborne doesn't even catch a pass snaps. Yeah, now, a lot of that, A lot of that is, you know, was the Vikings problems at quarterback, and you know they made the move to go to Jaren Hall, the rookie fifth round pick. He was going to make his second NFL start. Kevin O'Connell just desperate to find a quarterback who is going to protect the football. And as you mentioned much earlier in the show, the Packers end up getting two turnovers in the first half. Both of those get turned into touchdowns. The first one, I thought, in particular was was just enormous. It was an off target throw to the tight end kind of underneath, and because it was off target, the tight end deflected with his hands and Ballentine was there to get the pick and just whatever it was a player two later, boom, Jayden Reid is in the end zone and the Packers turn a three to nothing game into attend to nothing game and all these questions suddenly are on the Minnesota sideline, like, oh, maybe this guy can't protect the football either. We just had another turnover led to points for the other team. There was a real shift I felt in the building and just in the field of things, which is what I thought would happen if they could get a turnover early from Jaron Hall and it played out that way. Then they get another one at the end of the first half, turned that into another touchdown, and suddenly you're up twenty points at halftime.
Speaker 2: And here's the thing that was really important about that opening sequence too. No disrespect to what the Vikings did, because I understand it. You have a rookie fifth round pick out there. You're not going to dial up a lot of exotic stuff. You want to get him comfortable, right, Well, what happened. It was the sixteen year old that's out there for his first driver's ED class. I guess he'd be fifteen year old. Yeah, and you're driving ten miles an hour and you back into the pole. That's what happened. Because that Johnny Mont passed. That was about as basic as it gets. They tried to get a little tricky because they saw the Packers had their base personnel. They tried to motion it into an empty set, but that's just the basic underneath, brought basically to the tight end and it sales high to him and Corey Balentine made a fantastic, fantastic play on that because it's those ones that look so simple, Mike, that oftentimes will fall through defensive back's hands. They put their hands on their helmet and.
Speaker 1: You go on to second down the old tip drill, right, It's like you have to be able to react, keep your eyes on the ball, you know, keep your wits about you. And and Balentine was able to get his his.
Speaker 2: First which I thought this was important too because he gets that first pick. This is a guy that's been in the National Football League. This is his fifth season in some shape or form, with four different clubs. He gets his first pick. You talk about a confidence boost for a young guy that found out on Saturday that he'd be starting because of the injury to the hamstring issue with Eric Stokes, right, you're drawing Justin Jefferson. He gets that pick early. He's playing physical, he's jamming at the line of scrimmage. He gets two pass deflections while Jefferson is in his coverage the Packers, I thought, when you talk about marrying your pass rush with your secondary, fourteen quarterback hits and four sacks, seven passes defense including the interception, Packers finally played complimentary on both sides that they had to weather some injuries to do it. Yeah, but my goodness, Michael, I thought that that was an encouraging performance as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the fourteen quarterback hits was really pretty astounding, and I believe it was nine different nights, nine different players.
Speaker 2: I lied to Presston after the game, I said it was thirteen. It was nine. Oops.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, that's still pretty remarkable. And the Vikings did end up switching quarterbacks. Haul got benched at halftime. They went with Nick Mullins. The other really big key moment for the defense was that opening possession for the Vikings in the second half. The score is twenty three to three. Mullins is taking the Vikings down the field, and you could tell immediately he just had so much better feel for the timing of the Vikings offense. You know, he hits Jefferson, he hits Addison like they're on the move and they're looking to get a touchdown, which would have been the score twenty three to ten. Middle of the third quarter. The game is far from over at that point, but the Packers get him in fourth and four from the nine yard line, and you know, O'Connell passes on the field goal like twenty three to six. He's not interested in that. He wants to get this game to twenty three to ten. And the Packers defense, you know, interestingly, you know, in my opinion, for as aggressive as we saw them in various situations like the slot blitz with Keishaw Nixon on first and twenty, they threw a six man pressure at Jaren Hall on just a basic like second and six call, you know, and that's when Kuay Walker gets his sack. When he makes ty Chandler with on the blitz pick up the fourth and four at the nine yard line. Packers just played it straight four man rush, you know, man to man coverage, safety help, which turns into a very effective double team on Justin Jefferson and Quay Walker is spying Nick Mullins to where when Mullens steps up, he's got nowhere to go. Walker is a shoulder into him that makes that throw really tough and the defense gets off the field. The score is still twenty three to three. I thought that was a big moment there, because in that building, that touchdown happens middle of the third quarter and it's twenty three to ten. A lot of things could have looked different.
Speaker 2: I mean, you just had to listen. I mean, the Vikings fans at that point were just looking for a reason to cheer, and they got it. And I looked at the clock, I'm like, okay, fourteen and change left. Stranger things have happened. But it was at that point that then the Packers' offense locks back down. Thirteen plays ninety one yards, they eight eight minutes off the clock in the third quarter. In the fourth quarter, it was the thirteen plays fifty four yards and eight seven to fifty five off the clock.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for a field goal.
Speaker 2: They just didn't blink. Yeah, And I thought that was so critical because Mike, that's where again people were ripping us, me, everyone a couple of weeks ago, a week ago about the Matt Lafleur stepp into the podium in Carolina and taking ownership for the offense going three and out twice in the fourth quarter at the time in which Screen Bay defense was really struggling. Yeah, people like, why is he throwing the offense under the bus. Because one, he's the play caller, that's the part that he's overseeing. That's kind of accountability. I can spell it for if you need me to. But the fact is is that you can when you have answers and you give up points, whether it be an advisory, you know, adversity defense situation, you get up, you you're able to eat eight minutes off the clock as opposed to turning the ball over fifty five seconds later to the defense to the opposition, that's what makes all the difference in these games. It's when you pick each other up. Yeah it was a muff punt. Yeah, mistakes were made. The offense came right back and responded. Green Bay never let the momentum get back in Minnesota's favor, And Michael, that's an important lesson to learn. If not for this winning you're in game on Sunday against Chicago, once you get into the postseason, if you're so lucky, those are the type of things that in your mind as a team, as a coach, as a player, you have to be respect respective to responsive to and trying to you know, have a response in those moments.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well we'll take a look at that playoff picture here in a moment. But first, some sponsor business Serius XMNFL Radio delivers hard hitting analysis and up to the minute NFL news that true football fanatics need twenty four to seven, three sixty five and ed cousin subbs. We have something for everyone like our Wisconsin cheese curds, mac and cheese, golden fries, and creamy shakes, all paired with your favorite sub or sub in a bowl. Cousin Subs fifty years of better. All right, the playoff picture. The reason this became a win to get in game for the Packers, they actually before the game kicked off in Minneapolis, the Packers knew that they were, you know, two wins to get in. Beat the Vikings, beat the Bears in.
Speaker 2: You're in.
Speaker 1: Because the Pittsburgh Steelers went to Seattle out on the West Coast and played a whale of a game against the Seahawks and cooled off what had looked like potentially a surging Seahawks team, or at least a Seahawks team that was pulling off these fourth quarter comeback and potentially building some momentum there. The Steelers get that win, it puts the Packers back in control of a wild card spot. So now the Packers get to win over the Vikings. Now they need they need to win over the Bears, and the possibilities are. The possibilities are essentially this and possibly as soon as tomorrow. At some point later this week, I will have a path to the Playoffs piece on the website laying out as legibly as I can all the different possibilities here for the Packers. But the simplest way to look at it is this. The Packers, if they win, they can get either the six or the seven seed, and they would be going to either Detroit, Philadelphia or Dallas. So it's two possible seeds, three possible destinations. That's where things sit with one game to go.
Speaker 2: If you'd be so kind, and I am putting you on the spot, okay, if you want to tell me, Wes, it's not the time for that, would you be willing to explain why exactly Green Bay at eight and eight holds the advantage for the seven seed because you have two other teams sitting in that spot right now. Seattle is the eighth seed, and then the ninth seed is New Orleans. That's simple enough because I think between them all, Seattle and Green Bay are both what is it six and five in the conference? New Orleans is five and six correct? Common opponents are both three and three between Green Bay and Seattle.
Speaker 1: Correct.
Speaker 2: Where did the Packers have the edge there?
Speaker 1: The tiebreaker? The reason the Packers have the edge is the tiebreaker is down to strength of victory. So I can give you those numbers if you like, and when you get and when you get this late in the season, it's very difficult for the strength of victory to shift as significantly as it would need to shift for the Packers to get overtaken in that regard. So that's what it comes down to, is the packer's strength of victory, which, by the way, I'll just say this, that's how they got in on the tiebreaker in twenty ten when they got the number six seed. But we'll save that story press another day.
Speaker 2: Maybe Seattle could just lose it. We don't even have to worry about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but but yes, it gets it gets pretty It gets pretty deep into the end of the tiebreaker situation where where the Packers are in control. There is a scenario whereby the Packers could lose to the Bears and still get the number seven seed. But you don't want to hang your hat on that because it's it's like a whole bunch of games, a handful of games that would have to go the other way. I'm just saying, I'm just saying, Okay, but yes, it's strength, it's strength.
Speaker 2: You can put the playoffs about that.
Speaker 1: It'll be It'll be in there. Yeah, it'll be in there. Just so every just so everybody knows, I will say this. It's literally the Packers are going to need at least three other games to go their way in order to get in if they lose to the Bears. The most important thing is if you beat the Bears, you don't have to scoreboard, watch it all done. That's where you're at.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And and to go back to the original thesis statement of this episode, the fact that Green Bay has got itself back in this position again, Mike, a team that was what two and five, three and six a lot of times. I mean, they traded Rasul Douglas. You're really wondering exactly which direction this season's going to turn. And they found momentum. They got their two biggest wins of the season back to back with the Lions and the Chiefs. They tripped after that, they had to reset a little bit, but to be able to get the wins over Carolina and then come back and go into Minnesota and do that back to back on the road. I don't care what Carolina's record is. It's still tough to play in a different road environment and to be at eight and eight with a young football team I think at one point the youngest maybe still the youngest in the.
Speaker 1: National Football League, I would imagine.
Speaker 2: So that's a real testament I think to the job that Matt Lafleur does, and that spins me into my last point I wanted to make about this game because I wrote about an insider inbox. He will never take credit for this, he would probably hate me even talking about it, But I thought Matt Lafleur had an absolutely exceptional day calling plays against Minnesota. In the first half when the Packers to get into a rhythm, he did it. In the second half when they need to concoct some twelve minute offensive plays, it seemed like they were able to do it. And for Green Bay, you talk about coaches or players all the time, but coaches too. Everybody wants to peek here when you get into the postseason. So or in that final run, I should say, so, it was an exciting game to be a part of. And now, as we'll preview later this week, taking down the Chicago Bears, trying to make this thing really count because if you don't get a job done there and we just wasted a lot of breath.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's and that's exactly what Matt Lafleur. In fact, he said it twice at the podium in between he was interrupted by the eleven o'clock hour, where about somebody, a bunch of people in a nearby room were like watching the ball drop in New York City or whatever, and they were counting down like three two, like Matt Laflour's in the middle of a press conference answer. But he said twice in that press conference that it doesn't mean anything if the Packers can't take care of business on Sunday and beat the Bears in it in and take advantage of this opportunity, an opportunity that they did not get last year. They did not, excuse me, an opportunity they did not cash in on us last year. A couple other things just to talk about with regard to the playoff picture, the number one seeds and the first round bys in each conference are clinched. San Francisco forty nine Ers are the one seed in the NFC, the Baltimore Ravens are the one seed in the AFC. Those clubs will get will have the first weekend of the playoffs off and to themselves as far as the rest of the NFC goes. The Packers kind of jousting with the Rams for the six and seven spots. The Rams are in and if they win their game against the forty nine ers, and who knows what the forty nine ers are going to do personnel wise, because it's essentially an exhibition game for them. But if the Rams win, they get the six and then the seven is the only one excuse me, let to be determined. Dallas and Philadelphia is still battling each other for the UH for the NFC East. And here's what I figured out, Wes. As long as the Dallas has the tiebreaker right now on the Eagles, they have the same record. Dallas has the tiebreaker based on this record.
Speaker 2: That sorry, I said Dallas is also good.
Speaker 1: Yes, they're they're they're quite good, and Philadelphia is not playing very well right now.
Speaker 2: That was kind of the subtle thing I was gonna.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the the Cowboys and Eagles are tied, Dallas has the tiebreaker as long as either the Eagles or the Cowboys win this week. The winner of the NFC East is the two seed, and the loser drops to the five. The runner up in the NFC East is getting the five seed. It will be a wild card going on the road regardless. The Detroit Lions are pretty close in a sense to being locked into the three seed, except there is one scenario where the Lions jump up to the two, and that is that if the Cowboys and the Eagles both lose and the Lions beat the Vikings, then the Lions would actually vault to the two the NFC East winner, which in that case would be Dallas. If the Eagles and Cowboys both lose, Dallas would be the three seed and then the Eagles would be the five. So those are the various permutations. Obviously, whoever wins the NFC South, which could be any of three teams, the Buccaneers, the Saints, and the Falcons all have a path. The Buccaneers are the ones in control, but they all have a path to winning the NFC South, which would be the four seed and the Buccaneers and Saints. Whoever doesn't win the NFC South is still looking for a bunch of help to maybe get a wild card. But again that's where when you're the Packers, you're looking at it as we are the ones in control. Just win your game and get in and it doesn't matter what all those teams in the NFC South.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we'll preview those matchups soon enough, but I mean Tampa would need almost like a well we'll see how it goes. But I mean I think they got Carolina this week, right, I mean they do try to take care of business there.
Speaker 1: They do. Their quarterback has some sore ribs though apparently oh so, yeah, Baker Mayfield not one hundred.
Speaker 2: Percent, So Kyle Trask is the backup?
Speaker 1: There might be Yeah, I haven't looked at it.
Speaker 2: But to get back to this past weekend though, we'll have plenty of time to preview. I mean, it was interesting. I was sitting in my room on Sunday afternoon, I'm like, man, the Packers aren't getting much help. The Bears were pretty much the only ones that wanted to play ball there in the early half of things, and obviously we were going to see them Sunday. With how talented they are and where they've been sort of building towards a much better team than the Atlanta Falcons without a doubt. It doesn't matter if it was a snow game Shoulder Field. I think they win that one anywhere, Yeah, just based on where Atlanta's at.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they beat them by twenty. Yeah, that was a convincing victory.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was really something else. I think there was we want justin chance afterwards at Soldier Field. I mean, people were psyched up for it, the NFL, E, NFC East other than McCarthy, and what they did on Saturday night was just tripping itself. An embarrassing weekend for them. I mean the Giants, I mean, people want to put that thing at Mason's foot, Fine, no pun intended, but like everything New York did in the final five minutes, that game was just a head scratcher. Philadelphia completely falls apart in a Also, they have a.
Speaker 1: Two touchdown lead at home against the Arizona Cardinals with so much to play, for the division title, the playoff seeding, all of it, and their defense just completely falls apart against against the Cardinals. Kyler Murray goes nuts, James Connor goes nuts, and the Eagles get the winning touchdown with thirty seconds on the clock or whatever it was. And the Eagles take an absolutely devastating loss. A team that was ten to one and looking like it was headed for the one seed in the first round by is now possibly going to be relegated to the five seed and going on the road for the wild card run.
Speaker 2: And they played like that. I mean, everyone wants to talk about this much maligned defense, but the offense hasn't really been you know.
Speaker 1: Yeahckers no and and And you're right about that because, as I say, a two touchdown lead at halftime against the Cardinals, one of those touchdowns was a ninety nine yard pick six by the Eagles defense. So you're right in that the Eagles offense was not exactly setting the world up.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So I mean, we'll see what all becomes of that, but yeah, fortunately for Green Bay, it all came down to Pittsburgh. Mike Tomlin sent of a nice box at cheese. Maybe, uh some what is it wedding gifts.
Speaker 1: Well, did you did you see did you see the note from your from your junior reporter friend that Yeah, I put I put it in. I put it in an insider inbox on Monday morning. Your junior reporter friend from Pittsburgh missed that one. He lived, He and his family like, they live near Mike Tomlin, and they prior to the Steelers trip to Seattle, they delivered a box of chocolates to Tomlin's house, essentially asking h asking them, asking the Steelers to beat the Seahawks for the Packers lo and behold. Anyway, the note in the insider inbox was for you, because you know the young man. But I felt compelled to post it in my column because it really struck.
Speaker 2: A Well, here's the other thing. I was going on about three hours of sleep, and I probably missed that one while I was paging through the column on Tuesday. But either as Monday, I don't even know what day the week is anymore, Michael.
Speaker 1: But yeah, these night games get to us at.
Speaker 2: I've been struggling with it. But hey, I'll tell you what, Pittsburgh, you know, I hope them they can make a run here. Obviously, they got a tough challenge coming up this weekend, but the Green Bay Packers bottom line got back to where they need to get to and now we'll see what they can do with it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. We will preview this Packers Bears Week eighteen showdown on our next episode, but for now we'll call it a rap. On this edition of Packers Unscripted. Be sure to follow all of our coverage of the team, all the playoff news and scenarios and possibilities, everything you want, reviewing the Vikings game, previewing the Bears. We've got it all for you on Packers dot com. For Wes, I'm Miike. Thank you for tuning in everybody. We will see you next time.