Speaker 1: Hi.
Speaker 2: What's your name?
Speaker 1: This is Jason.
Speaker 2: What's up, Jason? Where are you calling from?
Speaker 1: I'm calling from Japan.
Speaker 2: You're calling from Japan? Yeah, what what are you doing in Japan?
Speaker 3: Actually?
Speaker 1: Well, okay, so we've met before.
Speaker 2: Wait, I know exactly who you are, all right, I'm I'm gonna tell a story to the chap, to the listeners real quick. I'm gonna set a little bit of context. So two years ago, I took a trip alone to Japan as a gecko because I wanted to go and I wanted to make some gecko content there, and I was I did this. I was live streaming myself in a gecko suit walking around. I never I never like made a video out of this. It's just it was just kind of a live stream that I did. And I was live streaming myself as a gecko walking around Japan and talking to people, and I was looking at my chat and somebody in my chat was like, yo, dude, I'm like within a mile of where you currently are right now, and I'm like, you're lying. I'm in fucking Tokyo. There's no reason that anyone who's watching my stream right now would be where I am right now. And you were like, no, I'm serious, and everyone in the chat was like, this guy's fucking trolling you, Lyle. This guy's just gonna make you wait and then be like, no, I'm just kidding. I'm in Alabama. And I was like, you know what, No, I have faith that this chatter is not trolling me and he actually is gonna stream snipe me. So and I'm gonna say And I sat and I waited, and I was like, yeah, this chatter is gonna come meet me wherever he is in Japan. And everyone in the just not you had not one supporter in the chat. They were all like, this fucking guy is trolling you. And sure enough, a man comes up to me and he's like you are you, Lyle? And I'm like, yeah, are you Jason? And fucking that was it. And then we wait. We we walked around. You hung out on my stream and we walked around and we uh we had a good time. We went to this fucking crazy mall and uh, you told me your life story and uh it was cool, it was great. And now we're on the phone together two years later. How you do it with Jason?
Speaker 1: I'm all right, so, uh yeah, that's it was a little bit more than I was in Shibuia, and I saw you and my younger brothers like, you have to you have to go stream slamp and I was like, I don't want to do that. I was like, that's you know, I like, it's it's such an awkward thing. But no, So yeah, we hung out for like an hour and a half two hours, and then because of you, I started streaming. And then after that, I don't I watched another streamer read a book about a guy who walked across Japan and thought, I want to do that. Like I turned thirty last year and I was still a kind of chunky, but I wanted to change my life, and so I I this year. I just got back from walking across Japan. I walked like two thousand miles across Japan. And that was because I met you, Like you said, go do content stuff and maybe it works out, maybe it doesn't, but you should try. And so I fucking did the thing.
Speaker 2: And wow wow yeah yeah, so we were I we so we were talking about it a little bit on the stream. But then after I ended the stream, you and I we were taking the uh subway somewhere. We were just chatting about like content and stuff, and you were telling me you wanted to do some shit and we had it. We talked about it. Yeah yeah, and I think I think, I think, uh uh, you bought me a paperry sweat.
Speaker 1: I did. Yeah, so we because you had to go to a sushi place across it was it was on my way back home. And yeah, yeah, so I bought you for christ and then you want you bought the So I bought two drinks, O Kari sweat and a Deca Vida, the vitamin orange citrusy drink.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, wow, Okay, that's awesome. So inspired by that conversation, You've walked across fuck I didn't. Hey man, I didn't say to walk across all of Japan. That's overkilled. That's too much.
Speaker 1: No, No, it's I Like I said, it was a kind of a perfect storm of watching you and then watched another like a Japanese woodlock printer guy who has been in Japan for a long time. I read this book and then it's like in the book he's like, I'm thirty years old, I've been in Japan eight years. What the fuck am I doing? And I was like, hey, I'm thirty years old. I've been in Japan seven years. What the fuck am I doing?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: And I wanted to go out and it's something I had to do, not necessarily content, but I had to do it for myself. And then many people said, please share it if you can, and so I did. I streamed like ninety five percent of it because I thought people might get something from it even if I don't.
Speaker 2: But were you streaming? Were you streaming while you were asleep?
Speaker 1: No? No, no, I didn't. I had work, So I worked full time and walked, and so I would work like six am to nine point thirty, leave the hotel at ten, walk like twenty miles a day, fifteen twenty miles a day, and then get to the next hotel and work at night and go to sleep like that was my routine.
Speaker 2: That's fucking crazy. So where did you start and then where did you end?
Speaker 1: I started at the very very southern point of Japan, Cape Sata in Kagoshima, and then I finished at the very very northern part of Hokkaido, Cape Soya.
Speaker 2: Holy shit, you walked to the entire country.
Speaker 1: I walked the entire country.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's completely insane.
Speaker 1: How long.
Speaker 2: Did that take you?
Speaker 1: One hundred and sixty nine days.
Speaker 2: By yourself, by myself? Yeah, that's fucking crazy man. And how did this I had, like go ahead.
Speaker 1: Oh no, I had. The reason it took so long is because I had probably like ten days that I like throughout the trip, I had injury days, like my hip got messed up, my foot got messed up, stuff like that. So I had to like sit tight in a hotel room for a couple of days at a time, but almost every day like my average walking I watched thirty thousand steps on average for the six months.
Speaker 2: That's fucking crazy man. So the streams did people were people watching along while you were doing it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I grew quite a lot. I started, Like when I started the trip, I was I don't know, twenty twenty five average viewers, and now it's like at the end of it, it was a couple hundred, like one hundred and fifty two hundred, you know, So it's wonderful. Yeah, a lot of people because it's outside of like I mean, you came to like Tokyo Osaka's cool, but like I was in like the Montana of Japan, you know, like I was placed there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that sounds fucking no.
Speaker 1: We oh it was really fucking cool. And I made like I have a whole stack of like every place, Like I had to call so many places and I was like, hey, you guys have any rooms, like ah, now we're full, and I explained the project to them, Well we might have a room, but are you like a guest, are you a foreigner? Like what's what's going on? And so I had to call THEMM like almost negotiate a lot of places to like let me in. And there were like half a dozen to a dozen places that were like you're the first non Japanese person to ever be here, like ever, like this is one hundred year olds in, you're the first one Like wow.
Speaker 2: Wow Yeah, because I guess when you're walking across the country, you run into a lot of places where it's like like no tourist would ever go to this place of the countryside.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because it's so remote. There were some places I was at where there was a bus that ran like twice, like seven thirty in the morning, like five thirty the afternoon or in the evening.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 1: So even if I like I didn't take transportation, but if I had to. Then I got to like sit at a bus stop or sleep at a bus stop until you know, if I you know, emergency type shit.
Speaker 2: So wow, did you ever have to sleep outside?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 1: Twy the camp twice? It was I think day sixteen or seventeen. I stayed at a campsite. I didn't have work that night, and then I slept at a bungalow, which is like, I guess that's not the way nowtside, It's just a cabin type thing. But yeah, that was it. Every other time I stayed at like local inns, small little hot spring towns or I mean it just I mean one hundred and fifty eight different hotels or like inns and stuff.
Speaker 3: So everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, wow, where was the coolest place that you saw along your route?
Speaker 1: And that's hard, that's hard because there were there were like I made paper, like I made traditional Japanese style paper and made a bunch of friends in Etchison and Ukui. But as far as scenery, I mean, Hokkaido is nuts. Like a lot of people go to Hokaido and they go to the cities Hakodate or Sathwoo or something. But when you're out like towards the top of Hokkaido, there's nothing like there were some days I had to walk twenty five miles to the next town, like there was nothing between towns. So you have to pack food, pack water, and that's it. Like it's it's so vast in a way that like Tokyo is not, or it's it's vast in a way that's different. Tokyo's vast is a city out there, it's just like quiet, peaceful flat roads. Like yeah, it's it's hard to explain.
Speaker 2: Did you get lonely walking across just being by yourself for one hundred and sixty nine days.
Speaker 1: I did well, you know, when I had stream on, it wasn't too bad. But what really hit me is like eating dinner almost every night alone. And that sounds so like when you're in a hotel, and so it is. I mean, especially when you know in Tokyo, it's like I can have dinner with friends or you know, significant other or whatever and it's uh, but on the road, it's like it's just me. And sometimes the innkeepers would come and have dinner with me, but a lot of times they would not. They would just be like because even though I speak Japanese, they were like, ah, like it's kind of a client and not client customer patron type thing, so they don't want to like encroach on the customer's eating experience or something.
Speaker 2: So do you speak fluent Japanese?
Speaker 1: I speak pretty good. I mean I had I traveled for six months for one hundred and sixty nine days, Sladay problems fluent. I don't like the word fluent. I think a lot of people throw fluent around, and that's for me. Fluent means no hiccups at all, and I'm not quite there.
Speaker 3: But I spoke with like.
Speaker 1: Old dudes for a couple hours at a time, politics or I had trouble talking about religion because I just never studied those words and so it's it's like I have thoughts about it, but I couldn't articulate it as well. So pretty conversational, say above conversational.
Speaker 2: Tell me about some of these conversations that you had with these like elderly Japanese folks on the country side, Like there any stories, did you learn anything? Did you like to tell? What would you take away?
Speaker 1: You know, I felt there was one guy in Particu. I mean I talked with a lot, but there was the one guy that's kind of burned into my memory. He wasn't old.
Speaker 3: He was.
Speaker 1: Fifty eight, which I mean, I guess relative. I'm sure some people in chat are going to be like fifty eights old as anyway, but I remember it really kind of. I felt so weird because I'm doing this trip. I'm a little bit past halfway. I'm in in yudah and Igata and it's this kind of beach town type thing. And I talked to the owner of the Yokamda Japanese in and he's drunk and we're drinking, and he goes, man, you must be really rich to travel like this, and I said, not really. I saved during COVID and I'm just an English teacher, Like I don't make money from I make a few bucks from twitch or whatever. But I said, yeah, I'm not rich. I just saved during COVID. And he goes, well, it's it's really cool that he said you're You're so cool and I'm so stupid. And I said, what do you mean? And he goes, man, I've been in this town. I'm fifty eight years old. I've been in this town. I've been working at this same inn for forty years and he's like, I've never he said, I've only been to Tokyo like twice. He said, I've never traveled in Japan and I've never done this and that, And he said, here, you are a foreigner and you're doing this crazy thing. And I'm just a fifty eight year old old man and I don't have money. I just have this in and like that really stuck with me because I'm like, fuck, like you know, I'm just sitting there.
Speaker 3: Like what do I say?
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, you are you know, like what do you want? Like I don't know what? And so he and I drank for a couple more hours, but it very much was you know, I told him, I was like, this isn't you know, that's your life and you can still make changes. Fifty it's young, you can still go travel like you're gonna you're gonna outlive me, dude, you know. So But for me, that stuck with me, cause like it's very much we make our lives and sometimes we are born into family businesses, we're born into situations and it's hard to.
Speaker 3: Get out of that.
Speaker 1: But for that, it kind of hit me like if I don't want to get stuck in something I have to take active choices to get out of that.
Speaker 3: Totally.
Speaker 2: Totally. Yeah, that's that's so interesting because you know you are a foreigner, but yet you've seen probably more Japan than most Japanese people have.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but almost Like that's one thing whenever I traveled to like not that I'm not checking things off and making a list, but just like in America, like how many Americans have been to the Midwest, I mean, how many like you know, flyover states, Like how many people have actually been to Oklahoma or Kansas or you know whatever, And so the same thing in Japan, like people go to Tokyo, Osaka, Oki, Noawa, Hokkaido, but no one's going to Shimani Prefecture to go, you know, check out hot springs or whatever.
Speaker 2: So I also love the perspective of like, I mean, you know this trip that you take, I mean, you have a remote job, but a lot of people have remote jobs these days. It's like you would this trip did it sounds to me? And you know, you can tell me if if you don't know what the financials are of doing something like this, But this isn't a trip that it seems like it's something you are able to do because you have a lot of necessarily a lot of money. It's something you're able to do just because you fucking put your because you had the fucking balls to do it, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So this is one thing, I mean, full disclosure, the entire trip, food, lodging, everything, about eight to ten thousand dollars. But when you think about, like that's six.
Speaker 2: Months, eight ten dude, eight to ten thousand dollars over six months is like what that's like that month nothing?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's and I know some people are like, well, that's a lot of money. I'll never do it, But I mean I saved during.
Speaker 2: COVID like that, that's not a lot of money. That's seventeen hundred. That's like cheaper. That's seventeen hundred dollars a month. That's cheaper than if you that's not a lot, but that's cheap, literally cheaper than if you like rents an apartment in a in a major city in America.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's like multiply seventy to seventy seventy five percent of my hotel nights were like five to six thousand in which were like forty to forty five bucks.
Speaker 3: Maybe, Yeah, that's cheaper than a yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and some of those included one to two meals. So it's like some people ask me, that's a lot of money. It's like, well not, I mean yes, if you just like here's ten thousand dollars cash, but you know, and that's what I had to work. Like some of my other streamer friends are like, why why didn't you like just stream And I'm like, cause I make like three hundred bucks a month from it, Like you know, let me just quit my fucking job to do this thing, you know, like, uh yeah, souse.
Speaker 2: I mean that's uh. I mean that's like the fact that you were able to like have a have a remote job that you could do while you were doing this, yeah, is great. And I mean finding a job. You know what, what's your remote job?
Speaker 1: I still teach English? Yeah, I still do English teaching. So again, I don't make a ton of ton of money, but I have the schedule too, you know. I've I've spent the last eight years kind of shaping my life bit by bit, whittling away the things I don't need, adding into things that I want.
Speaker 2: And so m hmm, what are you gonna do now that you've accomplished this.
Speaker 1: A lot of people ask if I'm gonna write a book. They they, uh, you know, I was inspired by a book, and I'll do that. I do need to put some stuff up on YouTube. What book the Roads to Sata?
Speaker 2: I thought you were inspired by me? I was I was gonna take like all the credit for this.
Speaker 1: No I mean no, no, no, no, no, no, no, you you inspired?
Speaker 2: Like no, I'm I'm I'm I'm I'm I'm I'm I'm I'm completely kidding.
Speaker 3: What's what's yeah?
Speaker 2: No, no, what's that? What's that? What's the book?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: So The Roads to Sata by Alan Booth. I con sindu you a message or something later, but no, I mean no, no, cap.
Speaker 2: Sorry, go ahead, Oh what's the what's the book about?
Speaker 1: It's it's about who again. The book is not necessarily earth shattering good. It was more of it's one of those one of those things that hit you at that moment. Like if I had read the book this year, I probably wouldn't have had the same But it was halfway through the book. In the book, I'm like, God, this guy is a British guy and he's writing about how dreary countryside Japan is and how it because it's post he did his walk in nineteen seventy seven, and I thought, man, this guy's kind of boring and I don't you know whatever, And so then halfway through the book, he goes, I'm thirty years old, I've been in Japan for eight years? What am I doing? And I thought, oh shit, I'm him, like not not necessarily a mirror, but I go, oh, this guy is just like me, and so it more inspired me to just go out and do my own shit and figure things out.
Speaker 2: So that's so cool, man, I really, I really love that.
Speaker 1: Honestly, it's you, like it's I'm not I'm not bullshitting it like it if you hadn't it mainly the conversation we had in the train after. But if you hadn't did you start doing stuff? I would have probably never watched that other guy's stream, never saw the book, never saw like in a weird butterfly effect way like no therapy, get go, no, like it wouldn't have happened.
Speaker 2: I'm I'm so, I'm so so honored, and I really I I'm very very touched by that and very honored by that because I'm inspired by you, brother, this is we're we're playing a little inspiration tennis right now. To be honest with you, because I'm I'm kind of like, should I walk across fucking Ireland or not? I'm definitely not Ireland, but some some other place. I'm like, you're you're Because I'm about to turn twenty seven. Then I'm really tired, and I feel it's like making me fucking sad because I have so so much of my life has been like on these crazy adventures and been fueled by a desire to go on crazy adventures and do weird stuff. And I'm like tired now, and I'm like, oh, I hope I'm not tired forever. Yeah, you know, because I want to.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is a struggle, Sorr, No, you go ahead, I slug around.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: I think it's it's a struggle that because when I did this trip, I had so many people asking me like, oh, you should collab with this guy, you should do this, you should do this, and I'm I had to tell a lot of people there I'm like, I didn't do this for content, Like I'm I am making content from it and I am streaming it. If the camera blows up tomorrow, fuck you guys, like I mean, I I don't. I mean, yes, I'm very proud of my community. But doing things simply for content, I think is and I'm not saying this, but doing things just to do them, you get in this monotony and then it you do get tired from it, like like I'm back in Tokyo. I've been back in Tokyo a couple of weeks, and I'm feeling tired of like, gotta do this thing, gotta do this, like I don't. It's it's exhausting, dand.
Speaker 2: No, I mean, I mean, look, dude, I I the thing I was making when you and I met, I'm sure I was streaming it, but I also planned to make it into a YouTube video. But the main reason I was streaming, the main reason I did the thing that I did when you and I met, was because I wanted to fucking walk around Japan and like, dude, shit, I went to fucking Thailand and I filmed a bunch of stuff and I still haven't put it out because the main reason I did it is because I just I wanted to go and talk to people and have have the weird cool adventure. Yeah no, and so I just I've always looked at it as also kind of like that's specifically that stuff, specifically going and making videos in foreign countries and stuff. That stuff is just the content is just like I'm gonna have way more interesting and cooler adventure is if I have a camera and I have my Gecko suit, then if I just kind of went and didn't do anything, and it's also it's fun to document it and share it with other people.
Speaker 1: Well, and that's that's one thing that I I didn't realize, Like with you and I video, I did end up shortening it down and I put it on my YouTube channel. I hope that's all right, because I didn't want.
Speaker 2: To Yeah, sure here what before I ever? What's your YouTube channel? I want to plug it to the people.
Speaker 1: Since a Martian, Yeah, since a Martian, since a Martian?
Speaker 2: Yeah, sense a Martian?
Speaker 1: Yeah. There's no underscore, Yeah, no underscore on the YouTube. There is on the twitch because like I originally had the original and then I forgot all that ship and I had to make.
Speaker 2: Any one us Hey, how the hell do you spell? Sense s E N S E? I okay, and then Martian they can figure that one out ahead. What were you saying.
Speaker 1: Uh, but no. I I A lot of people you know, reached out through the therapy through you, sorry, and they're like, I wish I could find that VOD And I was like, well, it's on twitch, Like go to Lyles Twitch. It's on there. That gets hard to find. I go, okay, I'll post up our conversation part of it on my thing so it doesn't get lost. But I didn't realize how, especially like because I do long streams, like I'll walk outside for like eight hours a day type shit, and so it's not like like your show is a show one two, three hours maybe, and so people can watch that in the entirety. But my streams were like second screen. People were working, some people would fall asleep to the ASMR of the rain falling or the highway trucks or whatever. I mean, it's a different type of content.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I'm with you though on the yes, sometimes people could be like with certain with certain things, and I get it with certain because there's certain there's certain types of and and my hold on I'm gonna try to actually say a real thing. The there's types of content certain ways. I've like looked at my career and looked at what I'm doing where I have looked at it in that sense of like oh I want to make the best thing, or like do something that will go viral or be popular. And still there's very like I make. I do a lot of different things, and some things I do look at with that lens, but there's a lot a lot of things where it's like, oh, I just I literally just want to do this, just to do it because it's exciting and cool, and those are of course, you know. I mean, that's where the most compelling thing is for me. I mean, I fucking made this video where I traveled, uh Like, I just walked around the beach in Australia and I talked to people and I was like, oh, this is so cool. This is like I'm in I'm in Australia on the beach alone, talking a random people and getting really interesting interviews with them. And everyone was just like that, we want to watch you take talk to people about diarrhea and the phone from your house. And I was like, all right, that's fine, but I don't.
Speaker 1: But I still like to do a question for you, like how do you balance? I mean, because not I'm I'm a drop in the butt like you know, but I am a lot of people have asked me like, oh, Jason, you should push to be more full time, and I'm like, I don't get to decide that. The universe like it's it's a luck thing. It's a luck and a networking thing. But for you, like you're you're there, like you can you have doda kata on or you have uh I mean you you have these opportunities, how do you decide like, all right, I want to have this person on versus like I want to answer fan mail like is that something you you do day by day or is that something that.
Speaker 2: It's it's I guess people through throughout my throughout the four four or five years I've been doing this, it is that my motivations of strongly uh evolved, my motivations and priorities and certain things have strongly evolved. Uh well because for me, like there's certain kinds of content that like, you know, well, there's certain kind of content that like you know, make some money, and then there's certain kind of content that like, oh I just really fucking want to do this, and you know you kind of you kind of you kind of balance it and then there's stuff like and then there's stuff like touring where it's like, you know, this is like this makes money and is really fun and exciting and cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Ideally, if you can find something that makes money and is really fun and exciting and cool, then then you've hit the jackpot.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what I actually talked to. And so after my walk, like a few of the creators in Japan are like, oh, so you you like because some people they heard it, but like it rumors out because it is the content creation world in your pan is very wide but not very deep. So just take degrees with Kevin Bacon, like it's like two degrees of Chris broad like and so people so anyway, and they're like, oh, so you like biked it and I was like, ah, no, I walked it and they're like what why? And that was different, Like They're like I would like why would you take the time to do that? And you know, I was like I had to. It was something that you know, I had to see for myself, kind of like when I bought the one way ticket to Japan, Like what am I made of? And now I'm thirty?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: What am what?
Speaker 1: Am I still made? Of you know, like, what am I? What are my limits if I don't go out and push them? And I found out, like I you know, hurt my body quite a bit throughout this thing, but I also found out I can do way more than I thought I could.
Speaker 2: So dude, you're awesome. I think this is so cool. Again we're playing we're playing inspiration tennis because you're I I really do I feel like tired And I'm like, uh, I feel too young to be tired. And I'm like kind of nervous that I'm only gonna get more tired as I get older. And so to hear that, you you know, I mean, you're three years older the man you're going on this crazy, fucking it physically challenging thing. I'm like, Okay, maybe I'm not. Maybe maybe I'm not. I'm not dead yet, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's well. And you know, like I said, I I watch your stream as often as I can't. Time time difference kind of fucks with that. But yeah, I mean I started the trip at two hundred and ninety six pounds wow, and I hadn't because I last last year, I walked from Tokyo to Kioto as like a test tour leg muscle, and then I spent three months recovering from that, and I thought, okay, I got to do this one because if you know, I got but I got to be smarter about it.
Speaker 2: But can I ask what you ended the trip on.
Speaker 1: About two sixty two fifty eight?
Speaker 3: Whoa?
Speaker 1: And I'm like, you know, I'm not like chiseled or anything, but I feel a lot better.
Speaker 2: That's awesome, that's wonderful.
Speaker 1: It's like and it's just walking, like walking doesn't even I had a forty five pound backpack the whole time because like York stuff, stream stuff, clothing and stuff. But uh, just getting out there and taking some steps.
Speaker 2: What's well, well, I don't forgive me if I asked this already, But what's next for you?
Speaker 1: Uh, there's there's a couple of So I'm going to go in December. I'm going to try to go walk Chikoku, which is a smaller it's one of the smaller main islands of Japan.
Speaker 3: I'll do that.
Speaker 1: But there's actually a really big YouTuber that I would like to There's a very big American YouTuber that's talked about coming to Japan, and I would love to get involved with that.
Speaker 2: Guy who is he can your name drop? Is that bad? Can you throw it out there? Can you throw it out that? Can you throw can you throw your invitation out there? On the Therapy Gecko show.
Speaker 1: I can't.
Speaker 2: Only if you want to, I'm just yeah.
Speaker 1: No, Ludwig has talked about motor.
Speaker 2: Ludwig or Ludwig.
Speaker 1: So I luga is how he how?
Speaker 3: I guess.
Speaker 1: I watched the video on him talking about it, and he's.
Speaker 3: Like it's blued big.
Speaker 1: But a lot of people say Ludwig, and I'm like, I don't. I don't know anyway, So yeah, Ludwig, he's talked about driving a motorcycle across Japan, and who better to help him than a guy who walked it, you know.
Speaker 2: So well, if he hears this, maybe he'll maybe he'll maybe he'll be inspired.
Speaker 1: Well I'm I'm gonna hopefully make I need to, I think make a make an actual video calling him. But I don't know. It's it's hard, like it's hard to break into those upper echelons when you're down. I mean, I anyway, it's the thing, you know, Well.
Speaker 2: Shit, man, I might I've I don't know when, but I keep thinking about taking another trip to Japan because I missed it. I had such a fucking good time last time I was there.
Speaker 1: So if I'm back again and I will you tell me, I'll take you wherever you want to go. You want to see some ship that no one's seen, I'll do it.
Speaker 2: Cool, all right, now I'll hit you. I have your you on an email or some shit right or Instagram.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll reach out against you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, out again? All right?
Speaker 2: Cool man, dude, I'm glad we got to have this, this this reunition on yeah, on the podcast. I'm glad you got to tell your story because I think I feel like either I don't know where, but I knew that you were walking across Japan. I like saw it somewhere, like maybe it was on your Twitch or or maybe you reached out. I don't I don't remember where I saw it, but I just was like, oh, I remember I saw you doing that, Like that's fucking cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think maybe I think you because I was gone for I think you probably rated me a couple of times. I don't know if you because I don't know it's people I don't you know, other streamers, like if they follow or not I don't know. I mean, it's it's it's hard, like life is tough and people are busy and so but no, I'm pretty sure you rated me a few times and I got a lot of like because they're like, oh shit, this is the guy that vile met to you. Like so it was kind of full circle moment, like yeah, but.
Speaker 2: Well shit, Jason, isn't anything else us say to the people the computer before we go.
Speaker 1: Just gotta take the first steps.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 1: It's gotta, you know, even if it's a giant journey. As a cliche, that is, this is a quote.
Speaker 2: From Loud Loud Tu. I think it's from the Fucking I don't know. Maybe it's from the Art of War. I don't know what laud Su wrote, but I don't even know who Lausu is, and I don't even know if this is a quote by him. But this is a quote by Laotsu. It's a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step, has been that's Gecko on NPR.
Speaker 1: Sorry, go ahead, no, but I think so many me too, Like there are so many times where you're kind of paralyzed with fear because you are so worried of failing. And that's future Jason problem or future Lyle problem. I mean, like today's today, and if you always worry about tomorrow, then tomorrow never actually comes. Tomorrow comes, but those fears don't because you always put things off put that not you the general, like you know, big you, not you individually. It's yeah, it's it's kind of like what you were talking about earlier with like when I was younger, Like the problems that I had nine years ago when I got here are not the same problems I have now, And all problems in relation to other stuff are not that.
Speaker 2: Big Jason, great to talk to you, man, And I'm gonna I'm gonna I'm gonna follow you. I'm gonna follow you on I already follow you on Twitch. I'll fow you on YouTube. I'll be keeping up with your ship. And I'll let you know if I come to Japan again.
Speaker 1: Dude, Like I said, any on off stream, whatever you want, I know, people all you want to make paper, you want to go to a take factory.
Speaker 2: I mean you let me know, okay, cool man, all right, maybe I'll have to take the trip just for this.
Speaker 1: It let me know. Yeah, But thank you so much, and take care of yourself man, like I you know you're doing You're doing good man.
Speaker 2: So thank you man, thank you, thank you man. Take care of Jason.
Speaker 1: Yeah, see you guys.
Speaker 2: That was really cool. Yeah, I oh yeah, I met that guy. Uh just he fucking streams sniped to me when I was in Japan and we hung out and we had this conversation about content and about life and stuff and the train and it was it was uh, it was great. I really feel honored that he said that I inspired him to take the trip, and again he's inspiring me. So who knows. Who knows? Yeah, I'm hoping. I love I love crazy adventures. I do, I in my deep heart. I love them so much. I think I've gotten tired because I've been on so many crazy adventures over the past, over just the years, and there's were also beautiful and I want to keep that part of myself alive. So yeah, I don't know. Hopefully the folks listening have been inspired by Jason's journey. Check him out. Go to Sense Martin on YouTube and then Sense Underscore Martin. No crap, I keep calling him Martin. It's Martian Sense. Martian Sense Martian on YouTube. Sense Underscore Martian on Twitch. Go check him out, go watch him walk across Japan. I feel like if I walked across Japan, I wouldn't lose any weight because I would just gain all the weight back that I was losing by walking from eating delicious Japanese food. Thanks for calling, Jason, Hello, Hello, Hi, what's your name?
Speaker 3: Seth?
Speaker 2: Seth? I had a friend named Seth once.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 2: There's no how oh okay, I thought you were gonna I thought you were going to struggle to figure out what to say in response to that, because there's nothing there's nothing about what I just said that invites any kind of good way for you to respond. Like if I if you were having a conversation with someone and you said my name is Seth and they say, oh, I have a friend named Seth, and then they stop talking. There's not a lot of options you have from there to response to. There's someone just stating that they have a friend named Seth. But you did a good You did it as good of a job as you could with the given the situation you were in.
Speaker 3: My friend does that a lot. He likes to I like to be stuck in conversation.
Speaker 2: What's up, seth, how you doing. What do you want to talk about?
Speaker 3: I'm good. Uh well, I have two things I want to talk about. Either the fact that I got to college and I don't want to do anymore, or that I have a friend that are like liked but like it's been low key weird, but like more than that.
Speaker 2: Is this a lady friend? Yeah, okay, you have you have a friend that you like, but it's been like kind of yeah. But the thing is is I've been gay okay, and I kind of am, but like they're kind of the exception is the thing. I mean, you can be on a spectrum of oh yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just yeah, that part I'm not weird about. It's just that's like a little bit of awkward. It's more than just the been like completely friend zone friends for a really long time and it's just kind of like there's not really point anymore.
Speaker 2: M hmm. What how old are you?
Speaker 3: Eighteen and you just moved to the fresh out of high school? Yeah, just went to college.
Speaker 2: Where did you go to college? Did you leave your like hometown or did you go close to home?
Speaker 3: So that's that's a part of the I don't know what to do because I stayed close to home, so it's like I'm close to my friends, but my family decided that they did not like where we were, and so they now live around two and a half hours away.
Speaker 2: Okay, do you like where you were in going to school?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I like the school.
Speaker 2: It's just.
Speaker 3: No one's really here, and it's like the whole thing has been like I'll just get to college, just get to college. Now I'm at college.
Speaker 2: Now, it's like, so you like, you like this girl, but it is weird.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's more complicated though, because like, so we've been friends since I believe my junior year, and like she had this one boyfriend she was friends with for a while, but then she they broke up because it was just stuff. And then there's another other other dude and he like instantly was like in our friend group and we were all chilling with him, and then this one camping trip shit went down that like indirectly led to like the downfall of my entire friend group. So shit went down between the dude because he was going to go to like military or something, but then he didn't, and if he would have left, everything would have been fine. But it's the fact that you stay on that camping trip and stayed that fucked everything.
Speaker 2: What how did what do you mean that fucked everything up?
Speaker 3: So he was dating my best friend, which is the chick, and so he ended up cheating on her and she fucking broke up with him, and but she like said that, like so they kind of went through like a rough thing and they like were taking a break kind of, but she said, we can still hang out with him. But then apparently she's pissed at us for hanging out with them and just is not talking to us at all. Okay, I a dude's like, gone.
Speaker 2: I have I have I have thoughts for for you, Seth, I have some thoughts. I don't I'm I I have some thoughts for you and about your friends being like kind of weird and stuff. Yeah, I'm gonna just tell you. I'm gonna kind of tell you my unfiltered gut reaction and I don't want to minimize your I'm I just tell you what's going on my brain, my in my gut. I'm immediately minimizing your problems because they are all happened in high school, which once you get older, you realize it's not fake. It is formative memories. But very naturally, as you get older, starts to you realize, oh, that's just so everything was nothing. But I empathize with you because at the time it's not it's everything because it's all you know at that point. But the fact that you just you're eighteen and.
Speaker 3: You just got.
Speaker 2: Into your you're in school, and you're at it like a point in life where you where you start to branch out of high school and build your own life. And when you cool thing about fucking you turn eighteen you go to college is that you will start to be in charge of more aspects of your life, like who you choose to keep in contact with and how much bullshit you choose to allow into your life, into your brain. And you get older and make it when you get you get better at making those decisions as you get older, and so I got to be less ethereal and bring it back board to where you actually are. Is these people that you're talking about the downfall of my friend group though whatever, whatever, whatever, how many how many people are in this group?
Speaker 3: So originally it was there's seven of us, okay, but also there's a little bit more, uh, the camping trip. Also ship went down there that led to another two people of a friend breaking up, which is what I mean by like the downfall.
Speaker 2: Yes, but that that's not That's my promise you, Seth. I promise you that information doesn't matter. How many how many people are in this group seven?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: How many of them? Seth? How many? How much Seth? How many is people?
Speaker 3: Do you really like from all seven of them?
Speaker 2: Do you like all seven of them? Is it important to keep in contact with all seven of them and be friends with them?
Speaker 3: I would like to. And also but like I'm moved also, which is so like it's even more.
Speaker 2: Well, you guys in a group chat, but yeah, but you're in a group chat, you have Facebook, you got discord but.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but also the friend that's ignoring us, she just doesn't respond to anything.
Speaker 2: You can't do anything about that. You can't do anything about that. Yeah, every group of every group of friends has the one or two people who they just disappear and you'll see with them. But I one of the things that like you'll figure out is with your friendships is like, and I swear I'm trying not trying to minimize how you're feeling right now about all this, But I really do think this is important. The people that you like, you'll put effort into those relationships. And yes, perhaps putting effort into one of your relationship ships will cause another one of your relationships them to like get upset with you, like, oh, why are you hanging out with this person?
Speaker 3: Whatever?
Speaker 2: Whatever, whatever you're you have to decide for yourself if you think that person is being reasonable or not. And yeah, I guess fucking trying to be a peaceful person and just keep in contact with the people you like. And then if you're trying to keep in contact with people that you like but they're not you're not getting the energy reciprocated, it's okay to accept that you have no control over whether or not they reciprocate your energy, and to mourn the friendship like, oh, that's a bummer. I really fucking liked this person and it's a bummer that they're not getting back to me, or that than not is part of my life. But but you just you just I swear my life. You you you mourn it, and you just have to mourn it and accept it. And you can still really like that these people and and and love these people. But if you just can't really have you just have such finite time and energy in your life too for people for relationships like that, and because you because you're eighteen and you're in college and you are like prime set up to level up your life and make new friends and do new things were that are that are ideally drama free. And to sit here and talk about this fucking camping trip is what is tragic to me, Well because it because it's it's neglectful of all all that could be because of a fixation on all that that was at such a pivotal time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the whole the the friend group going to crap thing though, is like uh huh, it's more I'm kind of I'm getting to the point where I'm over it. It's just it's more backstory to the am at a point where it's like where do I go from here? It's like I I just sit here and wait for it and just kind of do my own thing and see how it turns out. Or do I just move on and like go do one of those like Australian No not.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: You know how some people like when they get out of high school they go for like the summer, like Alaska and like gut fish and shit, just for the summer and just come back. I was thinking of like doing something like that and just like fucking going across the country for the summer. Yeah, dude, fucking to anybody do to go to Alaska.
Speaker 2: And never fucking talk about this what this guy did that was crazy at the campus. You can go to Alaska and talk to strangers and stand in the middle of an empty town and look around and go I'm alone. Do shit like that. Do things like that instead of thinking about your friend that want text your back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I want to do that. And two of the people from the seven they're still like they still like, haven't been weird about anything, okay, And I'm still kind of close with them, Okay. They still are like trying to salvage ship, and I'm like, come on, just like I sed.
Speaker 2: I still don't know what Seth, Seth, Seth, I still don't know what you're talking about. Are you trying to get them to come with you? No?
Speaker 3: No, no, so yes is like Seth Seth.
Speaker 2: Seth, Seth, I swear on my seth you if you like go ahead and try go ahead and ask them if they want to come with you. You know what, Seth, you know what, seth fucking complete Go and tell them they can come with you if they want. Okay, that'll make your just to make your fucking life a thousand times easier. I swear my life. Please trust me. If you I don't know what your life is like, if like how you're gonna get, like what your means are to get to Alaska. But if you have the means, you have the ability to go, please please please please go, Please go and tell them that if they want to come with you they can, and then leave.
Speaker 3: It at that.
Speaker 2: Please do that, okay, Like at I like, just go, go go alone, get into weird shit. Be if you go, when you're alone and it's snowy and it's cold, just feel that, you know, like, please just go. Just go and tell them you're going and they can come with you if they want. Because if you're gonna spend you just want to, like to just to to tether your growth as a human being to these people because you need them is a is a real mistake to make. It's a natural mistake of because that gues that's how you've been living your life this whole time. In high school, you're around a lot of people, but just just go, please, just go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I have this like underlying though, like once or like my through my twenties, I just have this like these two friends that we have like a like a Harold and Kumar type relationships though, and Loki, I got the that's why I want them to come with, because like I don't want to have to try to socialize, to try to meet more people why besides the two, Because it's it's too much effort.
Speaker 2: I'm you know, I'm so. Can I tell you can?
Speaker 3: I can?
Speaker 2: Ice?
Speaker 3: Seth?
Speaker 2: Seth, Seth, You're too I really mean this. You're too young to be this tired. Well why are you so?
Speaker 3: Why?
Speaker 2: Why are you so? Why are you so tired? Seth?
Speaker 3: No, it's just what I mean that. It's a sin said.
Speaker 2: I mean that as a sincere question. Why do you feel so tired right now? Eh?
Speaker 3: I don't really feel tired. I just don't like people. Really, they're not my I don't know, I don't like the majority of people. I should put it like that.
Speaker 2: Why again, how do you how do you know that? Uh?
Speaker 3: I don't know. It's just that easy to assume that they would be not my people because.
Speaker 4: It's yes, yes, it is easier to assume. It's correct, it's correct, it's it is easier to assume. But why your life will be your life will be richer if you do.
Speaker 2: Not assume.
Speaker 3: That's true, that's true. I'd be nice, like I I I.
Speaker 2: I said, I sow. I just so badly. I so badly because I think about, like I guess, like when I was in high school, I think about, like, oh, if I knew now all the things I did, you can't you You physically like cannot be aware at that age of all the things that you don't have to fucking care about. And then you get older and you're like, oh my god, I didn't have to care about any of that. And I'm listening to you and I'm like, there's just so many things that you don't even know that you don't have to care about, and you can just go to Alaska.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well that's what I mean is like I don't really think it's worth my time to socialize it because I'm doing other stuff.
Speaker 2: No, it's no, no, it's not worth your time. It's not worth your time to sit around going All my friends are being weird and stuff.
Speaker 3: Well, no, no, I don't complain.
Speaker 2: It's not worth there's time to No, it's nothing you can play. It's just it's not worth your time to dwell upon that. It's very worth your time to go out of your comfort zone and socialize with people and do things that you didn't want to do before.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm probably doing the Alaska thing. I'm just waiting for summer, all right, man.
Speaker 2: Well, seth, I if I can, I really feel if I can get through to you on anything, which I I really I just I really if you I don't know if you listen to my show or if you care about any of this stuff. It's funny, but just please. It's like genuinely tragic to me because I in like in college and in my early twenties, and like I feel like I went on these adventures and there they were really life transformational and it's like feels tragic to me to hear you say at at eighteen that you assume you're not going to like the majority of people. That's like tragic to hear. And I really just hope that you, yeah, I hope that you dub that you reanalyze that mindset and at least it's okay if you if you go put yourself out there when you try a little bit and you just decide you're an introvert and you don't want to do it, but give it. Let allow yourself to go out and collect some fucking data.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I I do.
Speaker 3: I do get what you're saying where it's like I should keep that open mindset of people.
Speaker 1: I do.
Speaker 3: But it's just like I do always just have that assumption that like I should say that I don't get disappointed when people are shitty. I should say okay, more like I'm always expecting, not not expecting it.
Speaker 2: Just yeah, are you gonna go ahead? Go ahead?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I'm gonna go do something, all right, crazy, I hope. The other thing is the two friends, like how I want to have them go. That's the thing is they're kind of lazy and they don't really want to do anything.
Speaker 2: Don't fucking wait for them, set I know.
Speaker 3: It would be nice if they game. I'm gonna try to convince Seth.
Speaker 2: I'm Seth. I'm actually going to kill you right now with how badly I want you to go to No, no, no.
Speaker 3: No, I'm still going I'm still going on.
Speaker 5: I'm just gonna try to convince them, don't be an interest that they come, but I se without them, Seth, can I can you?
Speaker 2: Can you do me a fake? Can you do me a favor? Where in Alaska you to go?
Speaker 3: I don't know. I don't know if I'm specifically going to do something like that, Probably just like an internship over the summer, somewhere not here?
Speaker 2: Where do you want to Seth, Seth, do me a favor. Whatever energy you were going to spend into convincing your lazy friends to come with you, put all that energy into researching places that you would love to fucking go to and things that you can do in those places.
Speaker 3: Okay, I will do that.
Speaker 2: Do that instead of trying to convince your friends to do something that that that they don't want to do, which is kind of what I'm.
Speaker 3: Have you been a Montana.
Speaker 2: Montana is one of the states I've never been to, but I've been to states around it, and be beautiful. It's a beautiful part of the country to w beautiful.
Speaker 3: It's even it's even prettier than why I'm like you should go.
Speaker 2: Do you live in Montana?
Speaker 3: It's very green? I do not.
Speaker 2: Do you have you ever been?
Speaker 1: I have?
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 2: Was this conversation helpful? Did you understand or anything that I did?
Speaker 1: I did?
Speaker 3: It was helpful. Okay, good, it was helpful.
Speaker 2: Are you all right?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: All right? Is there anything else you want to say to the people of the computer before we go? Uh?
Speaker 3: I don't think so, though.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll see around the universe. Seth.
Speaker 3: All right, let's see it.
Speaker 4: M hm.
Speaker 2: Oh man.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Really, I felt like I get it. I get it. No, when you're just when you're in high school and everyone is being like weird and stuff, it's it's intense, it's crazy. But I'm trying to give I was really trying to give him my like twenty seven year old mindset on what it was like being like in high school. And because I wanted I would go back. I wouldn't go back. You physically can't. You can't understand how little that shit matters when you're in it, because it matters a lot when you're in it. Honestly, I could probably say the fucking same about whatever problems I have right now. Here's you know what's actually you know what? I just cut you know what. Here's the thing. All the problems I have right now are probably just as stupid as the ones I had in high school. And even when like I get diagnosed with cancer and I'm about to die, which is what happens to all of us, Like when I'm like, you know, even if I get lucky and I'm like eighty and I'm about to die and I have cancer, even that is like not even that won't matter once I've been dead for you know, thousands of years. So I guess all of life's problems are similarly as stupid as the problems that we had in high school, if you just if you just because I feel like I'm just looking back at ten years ago, and I'm like, oh, those problems were all stupid. They didn't because they don't matter to me anymore. But when I'm thirty seven, I'll probably look back, Yeah, my problems from ten years ago and go, those were stupid that I don't know why I was freaking out about any of that. And I'll just keep doing that every ten years and then I'll die, and then you know, in a thousand years, none of the things that I ever mattered about my life will leave. Those will all be every grand problem or it's even like dark, serious stuff will have mattered just as much as my as my friends in high school having been like kind of weird, you know, Okay, maybe that's everything. Maybe maybe I don't I think I don't know. I'm only I'm not I'm only saying this because he comforts me to think about that. Oh, everything is just as stupid as the things that bothered me in high school. Because here's the thing. Even like people who lived a thousand years ago had really horrible people who lived a couple hundred years ago had really horrible problems. They got horrible diseases, and their children would get uh, what's the diarrhea thing that they that kids would get in the Oregon Trail. Close it starts with the claw, but they would get it and they would die. And even and now that it's now that it's like hundreds of years later, even that kind of matters just as much as like your friend, like something that happened in high school, the Oregon Trail and everything that happened on it, I guess matters as much is everything that happened in high school. Kind of is what I think I'm trying to say. Yeah, Okay, I feel I feel like I feel like I expressed to this thought adequately, and I'm going to stop talking now. Goes on the line, making your phone calls every night. The reacon goes to his i's teaching your loud in the mean of your life that he is not really an expert.