Speaker 1: Your tunes about drive on your twenty four to seven home of the Black and Goal Steelers Nation Radio.
Speaker 2: Good evening, Steeler Nation. How we doing well? That's good us too, our number two. Oh yeah, we're all the way back. Maybe west u Ler and Matt Williamson with you here on this Thursday. We are going to spend some time this hour. We started at the beginning of the show talking a little bit about the news that it'll be Will Howard and Drew Aller as the two quarterbacks. No Mason, no Aaron tomorrow night. Yeah, we both are excited for that, and I know I would think almost all of Steeler Nation is as well. And we will get back into some Jets previews and some things we'll be looking for in this hour. But Matt first, it is what nine days away from college football Week zero?
Speaker 3: Ah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you feel a baby? Can you hear the marching fans in the background. Can you hear the beers getting cracked at the eight am tailgate?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: I'm excited. I can't wait. And with that, our guy Dame Brugler Matt his eleventh and final installment of his NFL Draft twenty twenty seven NFL Draft Summer scouting series. He's already put out eleven installments.
Speaker 3: Every position he held quarterbacks a last right for next year's draft. Summer scouting. Yeah, I've been into it.
Speaker 2: And we we've always been into this quarterback conversation dating back to last year. Now we will again this year until the Steelers find their franchise guy, whether it's Will Howard, whether it's Drew Aller, whether it's someone who's still on a college campus this fall.
Speaker 3: Our buddy Trevor Sikima too has been doing the NFL Drafted Stock Exchange. Oh nice, and he does like a two hour show on each position too for some scouting. Yeah, I'm gonna have.
Speaker 2: To listen to some of that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, grass and driving around here absolutely, back and forth to Indie. I did a lot of that kind of stuff too, So I'm trying to get ahead of the draft. I always say that, and then the NFL hits me like a title wave and get.
Speaker 2: That always happens.
Speaker 3: Ye.
Speaker 2: But Dane's last draft quarterback primer of the preseason. Obviously this will change as the college football season starts, but here's where he has his quarterbacks.
Speaker 3: And folks, this is on the athletic you can go and see safeties. You can see inside line, every position, and maybe we'll go through them between now and we've got college kickoff.
Speaker 2: We got a couple of weeks.
Speaker 3: I just want to know him better.
Speaker 2: And he starts by saying it will be tough for the twenty twenty seven quarterback class to live up to the immense hype, But then he also thinks, you know, it has a real chance to have a more kind of high end draft eligible, top draft eligible quarterbacks than we've seen in a few years.
Speaker 3: I've said this before, but we heard this last year with club Nick and Aler and nuss Meyer and guys that did not end up being first round picks or were well worse or didn't come back. What's different, folks about this year? And I'm not saying this will live up to the hype. The hype is unbelievably crazy. But there's more names this year than last year. For you got a better chance.
Speaker 2: Because last year maya around campus had like names. Now it's got it's like twenty Yeah, by the time we get to Halloween, I'm sure I'll I've cut some of those names.
Speaker 3: Of course, of course, and someone come out and two guys will get hurt. But then you'll add to the name to the list too.
Speaker 2: We haven't even discussed here, but I will say.
Speaker 3: Too, just in terms of physical traits, that won't change. This group has better physical traits, yes, you know, like size, speed, strength. You know nus Meyer and club Nick weren't overwhelming, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: He also, which I like, points out the guys who could still return if they wanted to, which is always a little murky.
Speaker 3: Right. Well, we thought Dante more would be.
Speaker 2: He would have been. He would have been a top ten pick for sure. I think he would have gone second overall probably.
Speaker 3: I think it's right and come out because be a jet he.
Speaker 2: Wanted to be a shark instead. That's a West Side story joke for for you theater kids out there. Number one on this list Matt is arch Manning.
Speaker 3: He's not the consensus though he's not.
Speaker 2: I think Arch and Dante Moore the consensus one and two. Yeah, I've seen a couple people. I think our guy Mench might be one of them who's had Leonora Sellers in one or But for the most part, it's Arch one, Dante two or flip flop. Like I know, McShay has more one Dante or More one Arch two. But at this point, those are the two big guys Arch Manning of course of Texas six four, two hundred and thirty pounds. What's crazy, Matt is he could still come back for another year if he wanted to. Yeah, I don't think that will be the case.
Speaker 3: Does More have to come out at this point where.
Speaker 2: It does not have to come out either, Both of those guys could return if they want to. More six three two fifteen he's you know, uh loves Basically his best trade is his touchy touch, an accurate and his ability to create when the script breaks down, when the pocket breaks down. Whereas for Arch it's kind of I get these two are like a fun Yin and Yang.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're very different.
Speaker 2: Arch It's like he's got the size, not that Dante More is a tiny guy, but arch has the pre prototypical size, He's got the prototypical arm strength and all that. Yeah, but he just needs some polish on the finer details of his game.
Speaker 3: Which is kind of funny. It more plays more like a Manning than Manning does, really, you know what I mean, It's true, it kind of does.
Speaker 2: And Archie is a you always make this joke like it's because you know, just because he's a big, white, goofy looking guy arches, he's that's his draft profile is gonna have sneaky athletic.
Speaker 3: Of course, under all, he's a very good athlete. He's not at all.
Speaker 2: He doesn't move like Peyton Manning and the he moves like his dad, who was a who was going to be a Division one wide receiver. And by it, I think and by all like even uh, you know, Archie Manning will tell you Cooper was the best athlete out of Peyton and Eli.
Speaker 3: And Archie was a run around quarterback before those existed, right.
Speaker 2: And so arch has a lot of that that people just don't cause his last name and because he looks like the typical prototype stand up pocket passer. But I think those two at this point, whatever order you want to put them in, are the clear cut number one and two.
Speaker 3: Along these lines, this is a question for you, do you think those are the best two teams in the country. A lot of people seem to think that.
Speaker 2: They're in the conversation. They're in the conversation. Ohio State is great, Miami is going to be great. I think Indiana could be really good again. You know, George is always crazy talented, but.
Speaker 3: They have as short odds as anyone to win it all. Texas and Oreon, Yes, yes, absolutely, I know they've got a lot of transfers, a lot of guys.
Speaker 2: I would be shocked if they're both not playoff teams. No, and I know that's twelve teams now, so that doesn't mean as much when it was four. But I would be a highly disappointing year if for both of those, If they're not at least in the college football Plaoff, it would be a very They might be looking for new head coaches if they're If they're not in the college playoffs.
Speaker 3: Like I know, Texas has one of the top receivers in the country the transferred over from Auburn. They stole a great linebacker from Pitt who could be a first round pack.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Giles, I think number three. I meant to send that to you the other day though. It was this thing. It was basically a breakdown of the top twenty five teams in college football, how any first round picks they potentially had on the roster, and how many draftable guys in general they had on the ross Ohio State and Texas were like five or six first round drafted guys.
Speaker 3: That just as an edge guy, they've.
Speaker 2: Seventeen like overall could be drafted. It was just absolutely insane. That's the It's the kind of greed they speak about in the Bible. Matt Williams number three though on this, on this on his list, surprised me a little bit, but he's continuing to rise up in all these conversations. At CJ. Carr, the Notre Dame quarterback, who is I totally get it, also also still an underclassman. Yeah, could could could come in another football family, and he says, I get it. Saying that CJ. Carr's best trade is the feel for position sounds vague, but Car shows a ton of promise in critical areas for such a young player, considering his lineage in football upbringing, that shouldn't be a surprise. Lloyd Carr's grands Lloyd Car's grandson. If I think there's other cars, yeah, Lloyd Carr was the legendary Michigan head coach. Don't let Mike pursue to hear me say that, or he'll come in here and try and fight MEJ Car is efficient with his operation and understands how to find vulnerable matchups in the defense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and mcshae loves him. The more I found out about him, the more I like him too. I've kind of always said that if I'm in charge of the Steelers next first round, major investment trade, first round picked for him, he'd better be a really, really good athlete. But Car might be fine. I mean, that's not He's not Lenora Sellers.
Speaker 2: He's not. He's six two two fifteen. He fits though. You must be this tall to ride the AFC North.
Speaker 3: Ride like that worries me of saying a little bit. I don't know if he's physical enough for me.
Speaker 2: If I'm New Orleans, I'll draft him all day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, you know, I know.
Speaker 2: Ah, yes, so talking about how he needs to improve upon his rookie mistakes. But he's one of the younger guys in this group, and last year was his first year as a starter, you know, dune it ut it up.
Speaker 3: I remember mcshae saying after he got back from the Manning passing camp, the car.
Speaker 2: Is the most impressive one, he said, yeah.
Speaker 3: And he said something long lines of two, just like his command of the position, you know, in the leadership and the smarts were really really high level.
Speaker 2: And he's like, if he if he eliminates those rookie mistakes. He talks about two bad interceptions that he threw against Pitt last year that he remember those. Yeah, that he has a chance to be a top top pick in this draft. But again though he could still return, which is nuts because of these top three guys, they could all still go back. And this is kind of the world we're living in with college football now.
Speaker 3: Number four man, he hates that as a draft analyst, but you know.
Speaker 2: Agreed, Yeah, it's much more difficult. It's in a lot of ways it's beneficial now because we get to see these guys in multiple systems, multiple coaches.
Speaker 3: But like he either went to the Senior Bowl as a senior or the year before he came out as an underclassman.
Speaker 2: Matt, you and I were at the combine at the end of February and we still didn't know if Trendad JOm Bliss was going to be in the draft or not.
Speaker 3: Was the thing you sent me about somebody gained college eligibility that's in the NFL.
Speaker 2: Like like fifteen guys who are in preseason right now, just got injunctions to return to college football. This dude who played for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers last week is going back to Old Miss or LSU.
Speaker 3: How does that happen?
Speaker 2: It's because because because college sports are the Wild West now and there's no rules and there's no commissioner. Yeah yeah, and everybody just wants to win.
Speaker 3: You can't be both.
Speaker 2: It's it is, It's insane. We saw some of that in basketball, where there was like the guy who played for like the Knicks and the Charlotte Hornets and then went back to Kentucky or Baylor whatever.
Speaker 3: I just so it's possible for like Peter W. Pitts perfect example, they walk out back and they're sitting there watching the Steelers practice right now. Could they be like, hey, buddy, you want to come back be a Panther next year instead because you're not making this team.
Speaker 2: Was Desmond Reid in a camp with an NFL team maybe the dude yeah, and now they're talking about him and going back.
Speaker 3: Really I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: I would imagine he was at least a UDFA somewhere.
Speaker 3: I think he might have had a seventh round pick. So it's just like happened.
Speaker 2: Once you once you attend an NFL mini camp or training camp, once you are in the position rooms, once you wear the uniform, you shouldn't be You're done. It's like you're not a student athlete anymore.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can't be half pregnant, right, you know, Like you're a professional athlete now.
Speaker 2: And I realized there's a little more gray area in the NFL at least, But like these guys in the NBA, I don't care if you were in the G League.
Speaker 3: That's still a professional, right right, right, I.
Speaker 2: Played Triple A baseball for a year and then go back to college, Like, get out of here with that.
Speaker 3: It's yeah, I think Reid was actually drafted.
Speaker 2: The state of college sports, Matt right now is not great.
Speaker 3: And uh I really dislike that.
Speaker 2: I do too. There's like fifteen guys that have all been granted in an injunction to be able to return to college football after having played in training.
Speaker 3: Can oh yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: It's it's insane to me. It's ridiculous to me. It's honestly a farce, if I'm being completely honest. Number four on this list, Matt one of the guys that I am most intrigued to see this season because it's a it's a real jump up for him. Is Drew Mestamaker, the quarterback for Oklahoma State last weekend. Uh in September, I'll be seeing him with my own two eyes down in Morgantown is a Stokahoma State Week four of the college football season. It's like September twenty sixth, I think Oklahoma State will be rolling into Morgantown, and I'm obviously very excited to see this guy. Six three, two hundred and ten pounds. Also an underclassman doesn't have to come out for the draft. Everything mcshay's been saying is that he's hearing Messa. Maker has basically like almost committed two years to Oklahoma State, which sounds like his former head coach too.
Speaker 3: He was the starter in high school.
Speaker 2: He was a walk on at North Texas two years.
Speaker 3: I think he was a safety and punter in high.
Speaker 2: School and had a meteoric rise and was really good at North Texas. Obviously, his head coach got hired by Oklahoma State and he followed him there.
Speaker 3: But he can really sling it.
Speaker 2: But he said is according to Dane his best trade is he attacks every inch of the field. He's not shy about possing it all over the yard.
Speaker 3: Has like a Matthew Stafford feel.
Speaker 2: It's a good one. I really like that must improve his mental reps. You know, he's relatively he's relatively young. He's a party Texas needs to play it, you know, taking a big step up here into power for college football. And his number four, I mean I've seen him pretty highly on War's list. Four I think is the highest I've seen him.
Speaker 3: In a class like this, In a class like this, that's high praise.
Speaker 2: Number five, the aforementioned Trinidad Chamberless Shambless.
Speaker 3: I think I don't think he's too short for my liking. The more I look into him, six foot two ten, he's he's probably five eleven and a half.
Speaker 2: He might be the you always use this the Jalen Warren, right, like the Jalen Warren is the if you're smaller than Jalen Warren, you're a small back. If you're bigger than Jalen Warren, you're a big back. Maybe that's maybe that's Trinid Dad for the for the quarterback, he's kind of like the lines he.
Speaker 3: Make it and he's hardy, and he's not bryce young.
Speaker 2: The more and more I watch of him, I like him me too, and I'm really excited to watch him this year. Outside of that, as you and I like to the Lane Kiff and Mickey Mouse offense absolutely, and I'm sure they'll still do a lot of that stuff at Old Miss because it's a lot of carryover on the coaching staff.
Speaker 3: But he doesn't played little, No, he does not play little right.
Speaker 2: And he's also now twenty three, twenty four years old. He better, he better have a this mark. This looks easy Kenny Pickett type.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Here he is out of eligibility he has. He's the first one.
Speaker 3: On this list really last year.
Speaker 2: If it wasn't for an injunction. His best trade is he's just an instinctive playmaker. He must improve his coverage recognitions. Number six Matt the guy who might be my my QB one for the Steelers at this point because obviously I'm not having Arch Manning and Dante more on that list because I don't think the Steelers are going to be bad enough to draft those Leonora sellers out of South Carolina. Six four two forty five Best traits the physical gifts. There aren't many quarterbacks with Sellers talent and traits in this class or in college football, a unique dual threat weapon. His superpower is how he creates conflict for defense with the ball in his hands.
Speaker 3: He's a guy. Again, I'm not experts on these is studying as much I can where I think there's a very believable story that he's in the first overall conversation, I do too, or Man, I don't know if he's ever going to put it together. Let's take a third round flyer on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, yeah, I told you about this a couple of months ago. But during the World Cup, like me and all my high school buddies got together at our local watering holes USA games, a lot of my buddies that I hadn't seen in a few years and stuff like that. It was a lot of fun and they were picking always. I'm sure it's the same with your friends always picking my brain about Steelers stuff and what do you think about this? And I was telling them, I was like, I just think Archie Dante Moore are even if they have down college football seasons, are nailed on top five picks. And I don't think the steel Even if you paint a picture where Aaron Rodgers gets hurt and it's a disaster for the Steelers, I don't know if they're gonna be that bad to pick in the top five.
Speaker 3: And usually teams don't trade out of that spot. I'll just give up. Move from nine to two.
Speaker 2: Two's not moving right, exactly right. It's the Jets and the Cardinals.
Speaker 3: They're not moving. Jane Daniels, right right.
Speaker 2: Caleb Williams, exactly right. And so I told my buddies. I was like, if I'm building my realistic Steelers quarterback big board right now, if guys who I think the Steelers could draft in the first round of twenty twenty seven, I think Sellers is my QB one for through a black and gold lens.
Speaker 3: Now, they all could be disasters. And how much fun would camp be next year? If it's like it's a Howard Aller Sellers combination, some one of these guys is going to be our starter. They may all be awful and never have good careers.
Speaker 2: That would be so much fun.
Speaker 3: We have a blast, We have so much.
Speaker 2: I would in your in your go fish conversations, Yeah, I would take that right now.
Speaker 3: I think I would do. I would take say one to hit and one to be an okay backup, or I can find I signed Rudolph through the backup whatever I mean. But does he wanted to hit?
Speaker 2: And his must improve for sellers is something that I really like. It's just pressing the easy button, he says. I understand because he had nothing around him last year and everything was crumbling down with the program. But like take the easy way out. Dump it down sometimes, throw the ball away, don't put yourself in harms way.
Speaker 3: You don't have to run over defensive tackle. I mean, just let someone else do.
Speaker 2: That and all the of all the correctable things. I think that would be pretty high.
Speaker 3: On the list. Yeah, yeah, number seven. So again, how deep does he go in this list?
Speaker 2: I think he goes I think he goes ten. Okay, no, he goes he goes, he goes seven, Yes, he goes seven. He goes seven. So his last one in Matt. All these guys are still underclassmen. All these guys could still have eligibility except for Trinidad. Number seven is Darien Mensa, the Miami signal caller who of course transferred from Duke. We talked about him a little bit. Uh he's got I mean he's got like Will Levis level arm talent where he just makes some throws that true. Like, my god, this guy's gonna be amazing, best trade, willingness to attack deep middle of the field, windows and over the middle of the field. Must improve his timing, his progression and his timing.
Speaker 3: Going to Miami's proved fruitful for the last two transfers.
Speaker 2: It absolutely has, absolutely has, so.
Speaker 3: He staying in there. He doesn't have LSU, Dude, he doesn't.
Speaker 2: He doesn't have Nava from US. He obviously doesn't have Brendan Soresby, who's not going to play this season. John John Matteer from Oklahoma, Iron Brown from all Josh Hoover from Indiana. I mean he's the LSU guy is Sam sam Levitt likes him.
Speaker 3: So here's I see why.
Speaker 2: So here's uh, here's his overall here's his kind of overall ranking. So he doesn't do right ups on him, but he puts top fifteen draft eligible Okay Manning more car mess to Maker Sellers, Trinidad Mensa. And then he goes Sam Levitt Julian saying Drake Lindsay out of Minnesota, who Nate Tice loves.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but Nato' even tell you he's got a blind spot from Minnesota dudes and big strong, old school nineteen eighties pocket passers, because that's what he was.
Speaker 2: That's what you l Yeah, that's that's ten Matt. And then he has Nico I am leaving Aliava, Desmond Williams junior, the Washington quarterback DJ Lagway from Baylor. We talked about him a little bit last year. He was at Florida C J. Bailey from n C Stateola from Oregon, which is interesting because I don't think he's gonna play it this year. And then Marcel Reid, the tiny but crazy athletic Texas A and.
Speaker 3: If he not, did I miss him?
Speaker 2: From usc Uh he had Miava, so it's weird. He's got top fifteen draft eligible, and then he's got top fifteen seniors, so he has Mayava third on the senior quarter like.
Speaker 3: The ones that happen, they have to come out.
Speaker 2: He's got Trinidad one, Sowresby two, Miava three my tier four, but then he doesn't have Miava or or Materier.
Speaker 3: Is one in his top correct fifteen correct man.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of names too, like Gunner Stockton from Georgia, Noah Fida from Arizona. I mean there's some there's some names here, dude.
Speaker 3: Like one or two of those could have a monster season. I want to talk about them in his first round.
Speaker 2: Monster monster year. Kevin Jennings at SMU, Avery Johnson at Kansas State. These guys are all high pedigree recruits who you know, one great year and all of a sudden they're at the conversation.
Speaker 3: It happens every year. I mean, I think I could go on and on about dudes we want weren't talking about. There were very early.
Speaker 2: Picks every year, and it happens at every position, not just quarterback obviously, and as Matt said, we'll do some more of these for some other positions. Big shocker here. I just looked at his wide receivers real quick, and he's got Jeremiah Smith number one. Can't imagine that, but.
Speaker 3: That number two, dude, is Manning's guy that transferred in. That would be most people think it. Almost any other year he'd be the number one. Yeah, he's a special type dude, but he just happens to go into super free.
Speaker 2: Excited to get college football season rolling here and excited to really sink into these around campuses once we get into September. Let's talk a little final thoughts ahead of Steelers jets tomorrow night when we return. Was Shooler Matt Williams and it's the drive Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network.
Speaker 4: And now a word from our sponsor, bud Light. There's nothing better than the clean crisp. There's nothing better than the clean crisp.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 4: What if we just got out of here and grab some bud Lights. So man, we're on air for four or more hours.
Speaker 6: I'll figure it out. Sounds good to me. Anything for the clean crisp taste of bud Light stocked up now. Bud Light easy to drink, easy to enjoy, and you're responsibly Copyright twenty twenty six and hyser Busch, bud Light, Meer, Saint Louis, Missouri.
Speaker 7: I used to have cable Internet, but I'm a one hundred percent kind of fan, so i switched to Verizon FiOS. It's one hundred percent fiber internet that's super reliable. So I streamed one hundred percent of the NFL draft live with the ultra low lag and after what went down in the first round, still getting video calls from my best friend rubbing it in that he called all the picks.
Speaker 3: I told you they were building their own line.
Speaker 1: I went to bet good.
Speaker 5: One hundred percent fiber Internet with Verizon FiOS, because when it comes to your team, it's one hundred percent or nothing. Call one, need three three for Rhizoon to switch today.
Speaker 1: Get that hot dog costume ready, bruh your tunes about drive on your twenty four to seven Home of the Black and Gold Steelers Nation Radio.
Speaker 2: Preseason game number two on the Horizon for the Steelers, of course, Friday night, seven o'clock Akersher Stadium, when the New York Jets role into Pittsburgh, Matt it's obviously, and we talked about this a little bit at the start of the show, but it's obviously a big opportunity for Will Howard, who's going to start the game. Yeah, and we would think, we don't know, I think this part for sure, but we would think Will Howard gets the first half, Drew Aller gets the second half.
Speaker 3: Guessing but subject to change, right.
Speaker 2: It's subject to change. Maybe they want to see an extra series from someone. It's always possible someone picks up a little bit of a knock or an injury too, as much as you don't want to say that knock on Wood. But for now we know at least the plan is to see plenty of those two young guys. Anything you want to see from them next anything in particular, you want to see them build upon what we saw in that first preseason game.
Speaker 3: Hmm. They both did so much, but a lot of it this is taking nothing away from them, because like there's been a lot of buzz about like how well ty Simpson did this first his first outing, and then I've heard people be like, yeah, but the route concepts really made it easy on I'm like, well, that's the it's a coach's jobs, right, you know, that's a that's their job in week ten. It's not to make it as as tough as possible on your quarterback.
Speaker 2: This isn't this isn't Navy Seal training.
Speaker 3: No, right, we try to win games. You know. We wanted to complete passes, We want to move the football. We can get first downs. So I do think maybe this show a little bit more diversity with the other like the next chapter of install of the offense, maybe they're willing to do that. Maybe they just don't want to show the world what chapter two is anyway. Fact. I mean just these are very generic and you can say about any rookie quarterback or very new quarterback like in Howard's case, is step one look like you belong? Those aren't certain numbers, just anyone. Did he pass the eye test? Is he comfortable in his skin? Is he going where he's supposed to the football? Does he look like he belongs? Then do it a second time, then it's like not a fluke anymore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, right right. You gotta you gotta be able to do it more than once to prove that you can't do it consistently. You'll you'll laugh at this. Like when I was growing up playing guitar, playing piano, my dad would always bendy, You'll always be lording over me as I practiced. And if it was like a tough piece or scale or something that I was trying to learn, I'd sit there and I get frustrated.
Speaker 3: Bang.
Speaker 2: I'd finally get it once and I'd be like, all right, I got it, I'm done. My dad would be like, no, you're not doing it again.
Speaker 3: This is it riding a bike or yeah, until.
Speaker 2: You can do it five times in a row. You haven't nailed it. Yeah, yeah, you can get lucky and do it once. Yes, yes, yes, continue continue to build upon that. Maybe still training wheels, but maybe you loosen them up a little bit there.
Speaker 3: I mean, like your dad's a perfect example, though, Like I gotta perform four nights a week or whatever. I can't get it right once.
Speaker 2: I gotta be able to get it right every single time.
Speaker 5: Yah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that for sure with those two. It's gonna be a lot of fun watching those two. Matt. One thing that I would like to see cleaner offensive line play in front in front of both young.
Speaker 3: Quarterbacks, including the run game. I don't see bigger holes. I see better line play across the board, less penalties from that group, more continuity, better blocking, yeah from and I don't know who's gonna play and how much, you know, because I don't think we're gona see Max.
Speaker 2: I don't think we're gonna see Max unfortunately, but I would still expect to see some of that starting quote unquote starting five Altanu, McCormick, Fraser, Anderson Cook.
Speaker 3: Yes, I don't know how long I'm keeping Fraser and.
Speaker 2: FELTONU absolutely and I'd like to see Faltonu whip some butt on a series and then yeah over the sideline.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah. So this is a bit of a dilemma though, when you really look at the depth charge if you pull up our lads or whatever is I think their line, and we've talked about this for months is really deep. I think they are gonna be really happy with the last guy on their roster o line wise, but after that there's like nothing, So you almost have to play a lot of your guys that are gonna be on the team, maybe more than you want. And I think Dunker's fighting a little something, you know, like, and I don't want Fraser out there long, you know, like, it's not as easy a puzzle to put together as you think you're like. The other one I would definitely want to see. Two though, is if Max doesn't play, and let's just you know, this pains me to even say it. Let's just take him out of the equation for a minute. Can Broderick fight Cook to either be the starting right tackle or the third tackle overall? When Max takes a starting right tackle job, can he be better than Cook?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's definitely.
Speaker 3: I think that's something to definitely keep an eye on.
Speaker 2: Because I think we're hoping that Max will get back soon and take the reins of that starting position.
Speaker 3: But if he doesn't, somebody has to play.
Speaker 2: If he's not in there, two dogs one bone wouldn't be the worst thing ever between Cook and Broderick. Yeah, Broderick's deployment, yeah, tomorrow night.
Speaker 3: I think he led the team in offensive snaps the first go round. Something to keep an eye on, But I just think that I guess you don't even have to mention Max. Is Broderick better than Cook?
Speaker 2: Is Proderick better than Cook?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I speaking of the run game, I'm with you. I want to see some more success there, and a lot of that starts with the offensive line. But I'm very interested to see the usage and the deployment of Eli hyden Reich. And then I mean, is this really the final nail in the coffin for Caleb Johnson? If Caleb Johnson gets two carries again, I think we'll be coming in here on Tuesday saying Cyanora.
Speaker 3: I'm ready to do that now. But maybe they shock us and they run them a whole second half. So yeah, that would be the that'd be the definitive answer.
Speaker 2: And heiden Reich I would expect to still get snaps in the backfield, but I'd love to see him line up in the slaughter at wide receiver a little bit too.
Speaker 3: A guy like tanya though I don't think has anything to prove anymore. You know, like there's I did a podcast on side record last night that there's fewer of these fringe guys are questioned guys than at any point that I can remember, with two preseason games left, and I know any have won in the books. That doesn't mean Tanyan's you know, fit him for a gold jacket, but it's like he answered enough questions that he belongs. Even like the receivers, like who's gonna who's that guy that's gonna like step up.
Speaker 2: And be up in Maybe it's Bernard, maybe it's Wilson.
Speaker 3: I'd like to see them out there acting like starters. Yes, you know, Pittman and Metcalf I'm sure won't play all pre season. I wouldn't think, so who else will we keying on in the third quarter. There's just not as many easy things.
Speaker 2: There's not really not There's not like that seventh round rookie that's right, maybe it would be Hide and Raike if you were in that position group, that's a that's that's a good call by you.
Speaker 3: Just across a roster, there's not as many of those guys as usual, Like Slaughter comes to mind with corner.
Speaker 2: There's not those at the wide receiver position, no or tight end or you know, speaking of corner, Matt, that was kind of my last thing. Is just the secondary. Yeah, it's a lot of those guys we haven't seen, whether it be Ramsey and Joey Porter Junior, even someone like Eccles. We've barely seen any of Deshaun Elliott, Riskers miss some time. I just want to continue to I feel really good about Jammel Dean, feel really good about Asante Samuel Jr. But I want to I want to continue to see Dylan Everett. I want to continue to see some of these young guys, Robert Spears Jennings throughout the secondary because.
Speaker 3: I think a little ding too him and Dunker, a lot of these.
Speaker 2: I wonder if those are the type of dings where in the past it would have been you're a rookie, get out there and show us what you got where Mike McCarthy takes the complete opposite approach, and it's like, I just want you to get to September healthy. We'll figure everything else out.
Speaker 3: Makes you worry, who can they put out there if some of those dudes aren't. I mean, they're gonna be like, definitely cutable dude.
Speaker 2: And if you think about what we kind of quote unquote envision for the starting secondary Dean and Porter on the outside, Ramsey is that star if you will, right Williamson love that term, that kind of slot, big nickel safety. And then Brisker and Elliott. We obviously haven't seen that once in training camp or anything, because a couple of those guys haven't even played. But of those five that I just named, Dean's the only one that we've really seen get any type of extensive work. Five we've seen a little bit of, but not much, Elliott a little bit of but not much. And then no Ramsey, no Porter. I just want eckles. Yeah, I just want data points with that group.
Speaker 3: Man. Yeah, I'm excited about the corners in particular. I have some safety worries, but I'd also like to It's not as important as like O line, but playing together matters there, you know, passing this coverage off and understanding timing and your teammates and a lot of these different exotic zones and things like that. It would be nice for him to play together a little before you face Kyle Pits and Drake London. Yeah, right, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, certainly I don't need those guys, you know, getting work in day in and day out together, but at some point I would like to see that start to come together. Matt, that's kind of that's kind of my thoughts heading into, uh, heading into tomorrow night's contest with the Jets.
Speaker 3: I imagine we'll see a lot of brunner. I think you'll see a lot of like out a Wayoh, I would play. Black is a guy I mentioned, I would play a lot. I like him. I think he's better suited for the nose, but he still comes out of his stance kind of high. And he's one that I would play a ton of snaps just to stress him, because I don't think he'll handle it well, to be honest, But that doesn't mean I don't like him, you know, Like I think he'll come out a stance higher and hire and hire. He'songous, you know.
Speaker 2: Like that, And then you take him into the film room, go, here's what this.
Speaker 3: Is what we need to work on. And he'll never play that may snaps in a regular season game, but I would stress him.
Speaker 2: It's a good call. Good call. So that's what we're keeping an eye on tomorrow night at Akressure staked.
Speaker 3: What's his face? The speedball off the edge for James Davis?
Speaker 2: Davis, great call. Yeah, and Jack Sawyer a little bit too.
Speaker 3: Can put a little more conversation.
Speaker 2: Look like he's maybe feeling a little pressure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's Can Davis be disruptive?
Speaker 2: Good? Good, good, last one to throw out there. You can catch Matt on the pre pregame show four hours before kickoff with our buddy Tom Opferman on DVE. Matt will also be Matt and I I'm passing, I'm patting passing Matt the baton for the post game show with Mike Persuda's like.
Speaker 3: I let you borrow the patona You're like.
Speaker 2: Saying Bolt, I'm just I'm kind of giving a back to the guy that everybody wants to see.
Speaker 3: But if you guys want to stop, say hello, cool environment.
Speaker 2: And then I'll be doing the halftime show on on DVE as well.
Speaker 3: So any clue on weather. I mean, it's been poor in all day to day that we know.
Speaker 2: Do a hastily done little radar on my phone, on my phone here search it looks like it's supposed to be looks like it's supposed to be sunny in high seventies tomorrow pretty much all day good. So that'll be good, good football weather to get the guys out there, get a little sweat going and uh the blood pumping, and see what everybody's got here. Week two of the preseason against the Jets, Friday night at home under the lights. One more segment to go. When we return. You know what that means. We will get to your tweets to close down the day's proceedings. You know where to get at us if you want to get involved. West Huler, Matt Williamson. It's the Drive Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network.
Speaker 4: And now a word from our sponsor, Bud Light. There's nothing better than the clean crisp. There's nothing better than the clean crisp. Uh what if we just got out of here and grabbed some bud Lights. So man, we're on air for four more hours.
Speaker 6: I'll figure it out. Sounds good to me. Anything for the clean chrisp taste of bud Light stocked up now. Bud Light easy to drink, easy to enjoy, and you're responsibly Copyright twenty twenty six and Huyser Busch bud Light Beer, Saint Louis, Missouri.
Speaker 7: I used to have cable Internet, but I'm a one hundred percent kind of fan, so i switched to Verizon FiOS. It's one hundred percent fiber Internet that's super reliable. So I streamed one hundred percent of the NFL Draft live with the ultra low lag and after what went down in the first round, still getting video calls from my best friend rubbing it in that he called all the picks.
Speaker 1: I told you they were building their own line. I went to bet good.
Speaker 5: One hundred percent fiber Internet with Verizon FiOS, because when it comes to your team, it's one hundred percent or nothing. Call one three three for Rizom to switch today.
Speaker 1: Get that hot dog, assume ready, bruh your tunes about drive on your twenty four to seven Home of the Black and Gold Steelers Nation Radio.
Speaker 2: Down the home stretch here, final segment of the day. You know what that means? We go to the Twitter for your question, comments, concerns, and reactions. The ex Twitter, as Dale would have called it at wesle Yuler at Williamson NFL is where you can get at us. Matt also wanted to I know we said this at the beginning of the show, but remind people again that's starting next week we will be back on YouTube for those of you who like to consume the podcast and video form and just the you know, the easy nature of YouTube. We will be back there starting on Monday with our guy TV back in the studio with us. Everything is coming together here nice.
Speaker 3: And that's like full time.
Speaker 2: It's back back back at it like we never left. Let's see here, get to some tweets before we get up at out of here, Matthew says, is it fair to say that with Mason not playing in tomorrow's preseason game, it probably means Will Howard doesn't make the fifty three man roster barring injury.
Speaker 3: I don't think anything's safe to say.
Speaker 2: I don't think anything safe to say except for Aaron Rodgers and Drew Aller or making the team.
Speaker 3: Yes, and I think they like all four. I think that's safe to say. Howard will shake out. I don't know. I think we'll see a ton of snaps for the two young guys over these two games. I would I wonder what's going on the south side in terms of reps. Yeah, because you still don't think about Atlanta. I'm sure Rogers is out there a lot, But I don't think anything is safe to say.
Speaker 2: I don't either, except for, like I said that Aaron Rodgers and Drew Aller are making the team. Yeah, making the initial fifty three.
Speaker 3: I would say that, and they like all four.
Speaker 2: Yes, absolutely, you're not cutting Aaron Rodgers and you're not cutting your third round pick. No, Jeff says, with Rudolph not playing, in your guys opinion, is there anything to read into that? Or is it really just letting Howard and Aler get more playing time? Is cook the starter week one with Iana sure not playing? Looks like to see good things out of the Running Game tomorrow night.
Speaker 3: Yes, I very much agree in the Running Running Game. Absolutely, I like to get the Running Game going. Yeah, I don't know if.
Speaker 2: There's anything to look into it, except for if I was to draw a conclusion Matt, where I would lean would be that they're comfortable with Mason as the number two. They don't need to see anymore Mason, and they just want to see as much as they can of the two young guys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we talked about to being the show and it's been some similar questions. Not that you guys are wrong for asking, it's just I think they want to give them every rep they possibly can. They need the most most growth, and they know what they have in the top two guys. As for right tackle, maybe it's my love for Hanachore, but I'm not willing to say he's not the Week one started yet.
Speaker 2: It's funny Matt and I were debating this. You're debating this out with Trobe over a couple of cold ones nights ago, where I was like, man, it's gonna almost impossible for Max to start Week one now, and you were like, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Sometimes co whichould just be like, he's got so much more talent than Cook. I'm just putting him out there.
Speaker 2: And maybe for the first three or four weeks it would be a toss up, but then after that it'll be clearly the better player.
Speaker 3: Like he's practicing this week, like in the next three, four or five days, I still give Max a real chance.
Speaker 2: Same baby, I'm nuts. I would if he does too, But I want to see him. I want to see him start practicing here soon and at least see him up in Buffalo. Hopefully.
Speaker 3: We got to say he at least has to play the third preseason. Yes, there's no way his first game is going to be Week one.
Speaker 2: Ian said, it's funny, we have a lot of questions about the quarterbacks, as you can imagine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, how do you go? Our answer is going to be same.
Speaker 2: You know, how did you guys, you know, read into this situation. Did Mike McCarthy see enough because he's happy with Mason at quarterback two? Or did he see enough because he knows just what Mason is and he wants to see if Drew or Will can supplant him as quarterback two? Thank you, love you. I guess there could be an element of that second part. I guess there could be an element of we know what Mason Rudolph's in is. He's been in this league for ten years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a lot of tape to go off of.
Speaker 2: Right, let's see if one of the two young guys can can make us think that we can live without Mason on the roster. Right, that's part of it.
Speaker 3: I think that's part of it. I think part of it's also a compliment to Mason that we know what you are, we like you. You're good too, no doubt, Yeah, no doubt.
Speaker 2: Brad says, if in all capitals the team has a fairly healthy quarterback season, do you think that they would re sign Mason Rudolph. I can't see them deciding in twenty seven to have an entire quarterback room, say Howard Aller and another rookie with zero regular season snaps. Now that's a good question.
Speaker 3: That is, and it's possible. I don't think it'd be hart I have even Like before the draft, I thought, no way Rogers or Rudolph's back, But that was short sighted. Rogers is going to retire Rudolph you could resign easily. Yeah, and he may even be your week one starter while Aller and Sellers are proving themselves or whatever, or you don't even draft one. Maybe it's you know, Rudolph's gonna hold down the fort until Aler's ready because he's showing us enough. I don't know. I would. I would love to narrow down the quarterback situation in Latrobe next year to three guys instead of four same but they did handle that extremely well. Like remember how much we talked about like pre draft, like it's really hard to get four guys reps. Well, it's easier when you use two fields compared to one.
Speaker 2: You know, they did a really work in the preseason and the only needs a little bit.
Speaker 3: And they got several guys that are coaching quarterbacks. They handled that, I thought very very well. They had a plan.
Speaker 2: Okay, now that we're going down this rabbit hole, though, let me ask you this. If you do draft a quarterback in the first round of April of the twenty twenty seven NFL Draft, do you need to come back with both Aler and Howard or do at that point you break the pull que over your leg and you go, this is the winner. And we had tryouts and this guy I don't need to Maybe I don't need to bring them both back with a first round rookie. I'll bring one back, the one that I think you're the higher.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I also don't want another like third round pick next year. If you're going you gotta go.
Speaker 2: First round or no quarterback? Agree first round? Or give me Mason and Drew Aller, you know, yeah, yeah, or Banker Mason or something else.
Speaker 3: No, never mind, No, but that's something right right, or some kind of placeholder Gino Smith and you know whatever. But I'm either going big in the draft or I'm not going at all. I don't need another body.
Speaker 2: No I am swinging for a grand slam, or I'm not even stepping into the batter's box.
Speaker 3: But again, do you want you know, you're two young guys that are gonna, like perfect example, this these three games, those two young guys are gonna play ninety percent of snaps when it's all said and done over three game stretch. I don't want to divide that between three in terms of game reps next year, I don't. I mean unless and so at that point you might just be like, sorry, Howard, you're out. It's also part of the argument for if you're only gonna keep three this year, Roger Rudolph Aler.
Speaker 2: If you already clearly are sitting in that room, as coach is saying, Aler has a much higher ceiling than Will Howard.
Speaker 3: Yes, and Rudolph so much better to versus the Falcons than Howard. Yes, that's two strikes against them.
Speaker 2: Well, it's it's a lot of fun. I do want to find this next franchise quarterback Ben Roethlisberger twenty year type guy, of course, but it's also a lot of fun kind of speculating and all the different hypotheticals we do. Corbin says, FYI Hard Knocks episode two line painting robot, uh is.
Speaker 3: Somebody I did see that. Yeah, we probably won't be having those discussions anymore.
Speaker 2: I don't think we will, but it was a fun time when we did. J D says, I just found out, you guys, your podcast is on Spotify. You should announce that more.
Speaker 3: JD.
Speaker 2: Brother. When I say, when I say we're available on all podcasts platforms, that means Spotify, Apple, Google, Yeah, you name it. We're anywhere you can get your podcasts. We are there, and we are also on YouTube. But I'm glad you found us on spot because that's the number one podcast platform in the world.
Speaker 3: I use Overcast. I don't know why I've never heard of that, I don't think. And it's been fine. I remember I hated Apple originally on my phone, and so I just did a search and this came up, and it's been great. And we're on Overcast too.
Speaker 2: I used to hate the Apple podcast kind of dashboard, but they completely redid it. Okay, they completely read up months ago, and I like, so that's what I use now because it's just already on my phone.
Speaker 3: When I got this phone, I hated their podcast format.
Speaker 2: Uh JD says. With all the roster changes and guys, you know, changing numbers throughout the preseason, how does that affect you? Guys? Is it confusing? Do you have cheat sheets? A little bit of both. It's confusing.
Speaker 3: It's a lot harder on Rob King and lot and during practice.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's like, who's have a roster in front of us because there's a hundred guys on the field.
Speaker 3: Or you go the Steelers app and they have an updated roster on it. But yeah, I mean that's not new every year.
Speaker 2: Paulie says, love the show, guys. Any chance you think the Steelers could part ways with Patrick Queen to free up cap space to sign Joey Porter Junior?
Speaker 3: Thanks not this year.
Speaker 2: We had talked way back earlier in the offseason of potential cut cannaidates. Could Patrick Queen be one of those guys?
Speaker 3: But there was even rumors that Dallas offered to pick the Queen.
Speaker 2: But when you make it through the draft without drafting one, when you don't bring any significant name there in free agency, I don't think Patrick Queen's going anywhere at this point.
Speaker 3: Just signing Landon Roberts isn't enough for me to make that change. I mean, I think Queen will never leave the field.
Speaker 2: I think Queen is the guy who will get the most snaps of the Steelers linebackers mouth.
Speaker 3: Will he be back after this when the contract's up? I have no idea. That's a totally different conversation, but I don't think anybody knows that answer.
Speaker 2: A couple of fun tweets that we got here Matt the first from sp Steelers haven't had a losing season since two thousand and three. They haven't finished last in their division since nineteen eighty eight. They have the most wins since the merger. They have the third most playoff wins since the merger. Yet ESPN says the Steelers have the third worst future in their power projections for twenty seven, twenty eight, and twenty two.
Speaker 3: Did you see those? I thought they were laughable.
Speaker 2: I had those in my notes for us to talk about on the final day of training camp. Yeah, and then I think just so much stuff happened, we never got to it.
Speaker 3: Part of me is glad that we didn't because I thought they were really poorly.
Speaker 2: I think that's a great way to lay it out.
Speaker 3: I mean, the biggest thing that you can't fight is quarterback. Quarterback, you know, is who their quarterback for the next couple of years. But like they had, like the Jets and Browns front office ahead of the Steelers, and like organization has seen what are we talking about here? What are we talking about here? Right? Like have you watched football for the last four decades?
Speaker 2: You can accuse the Steelers, like every pro franchise, even the ones that are the most successful right now, of things that they're not doing correctly or things that you wish they would do differently. But I think everybody has to admit that the Steelers are.
Speaker 3: Maybe that's not an accident that they win.
Speaker 2: Maybe the best franchise in all of American pro sports, especially if you take Baseball out of the equation where the Dodgers can spend a zillion dollars more than anybody else, the Steelers might be the best franchise in all the pro sports at not bottoming out like they probably are and hey, I have Matt. I've been saying this. I've been saying this to you and to Motes for the last two years. There is going to come a time again that the Steelers will have a losing season. They're not going to always have a winning record for the rest of our lives. The Steelers will have a losing season at some point. But they have it in twenty three bleep in years.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: There are kids, Matt, that have graduated college. My sister, My sister just graduated college a few months ago. Steelers have never had a losing season since she's been born.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's insane.
Speaker 2: And you think they have the thirtieth best out of thirty two teams outlook over the next three years in the NFL, no chance get out of here.
Speaker 3: Not to mention they've drafted well over the lad I mean, yes, there's some older Cam Hayward won't be in that equation, Aaron Rodgers won't be that equation.
Speaker 2: We know that DJ at that point will probably be a shell of himself.
Speaker 3: But they also have routes to get the court.
Speaker 2: They could also have the best offensive line in football for those three.
Speaker 3: Years, right, right, right. I thought that was crazy I'm like, you put the Jets front office ahead of the Steelers. What do we doing for the Browns? Yes, you guys have one anything.
Speaker 2: Ever, I would like to rank the Pirates front office ahead of the New York Yankees. I think they're doing a great job exactly. And then the last one, Matt was treated here from pe Blitz, who says, the Cleveland Browns have just announced that their current stadium will close down in twenty twenty nine and their new one will open in for the twenty thirty season. The Cleveland Browns Stadium opened in nineteen ninety nine. It will be shut down in twenty twenty nine. It has still to this point hosted zero playoff games. True, and I don't think they're going to this year.
Speaker 3: No, I know they won't this year.
Speaker 2: So we are potentially, Matt, three years away from the Browns having a thirty year stadium that never hosts a single playoff game. Oh, you want to talk about some banter, that would be a good one.
Speaker 3: That's a good stat I will say, I'm impressed with what they're doing now.
Speaker 2: I mean, I do think they've got a nice nest.
Speaker 3: Post Watson trade. They'll probably screw it.
Speaker 2: Up.
Speaker 3: I mean, history shows the Steelers usually win a lot of games and Browns usually lose a lot of games. But I think their rebuilding strategy is really sound from these last couple of draft classes and the Garret trade that if they can get more or manning any hits, I would fear them.
Speaker 2: Yes, And there's a lot if they have to find the quarterback, and there's a lot of teams that you can say that about. And the Browns have had some big swings in that department, and they.
Speaker 3: Haven't handled it really poorly.
Speaker 2: They haven't even really hit many doubles into the gap. They've struck out.
Speaker 3: The Baker's been like the best early pick they've had.
Speaker 2: Yeah, quarterback, But they do have a nice semblance of a nest there. And these things in this league can turn around very quickly, right, very quickly. But you also don't give them much benefit of the data.
Speaker 3: No, they lose all benefit of doubts. So the Jets, I mean, there's just there's a reason these things have gone on this way in this league.
Speaker 2: It's the reason, Matt, that I need to see the Pittsburgh Pirates playing meaningful baseball in mid August before I start believing. I mean, I guess technically now they're still come on, what are we doing here? What are we doing here? And that's the same way I am with the Jets. Yeah, I'm always Arizona Cardinals. You might have a great paper on roster, you might have all these resources. Until I see it, I'm gonna.
Speaker 3: Believe the Lions are like the only one in recent history that have really changed the words with the description.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a great call, Matt, good stuff today. Enjoyed getting back in the studio with you. No show tomorrow, obviously, is the pregame pre pregame show with Matt and Tom. We'll start at three o'clock and then Matt and I will be back on Monday to break down all the moving and shaking that happens tomorrow night against the Jets. That will do it for us today for Matt Williams and I'm Wes S. You Willer to take care everybody, and we will talk to you soon. As always, you know where to find us. It's on your twenty four to seven home of the Black and Gold Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network.