Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio News.
Speaker 2: This is the closing bell on this stock movers report the company's making moves at the close of US trading with Carol Masser, Tim Stenobeck, Romain Bostik, and Scarlet Foo.
Speaker 3: Hey, listen to the s and P five hundred for the month of October, folks up two point three percent, Nasdaq one hundred to gain at four point eight percent. And this on a day, David, where we are seeing kind of an even split in the S and P five hundred, two hundred and sixty names to the upside, two hundred and thirty nine to the downside.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're right, toughly half and a half.
Speaker 5: You're looking at consumer dis squestioning up about four percent, energy about six tens of percent. You know, we talk so much about tech and information technology. I'm struck here just looking at the IMAP function here on the terminal. Information technology down actually about three tens of percent.
Speaker 3: All right, So let's go to kind of a mixture of red and green there. So let's go to some of the individual games. I had to talk about. Amazon, your top gainer are among your top gainers in the major indices today finishing the day off its best levels, but still again of about nine point six percent. Just quickly, you know who they are, e Commerce, cloud Computing, one of the largest market cap companies out there. They did report third quarter results i'd beat expectations with its Amazon Web Services business especially strong, and it also gave a positive forecast. Lots and lots of Wall Street analysts raising their price targets on the stock. I do think this is also maybe a record close on this dame. We certainly did see a record interday and it looks like a record close also for Amazon on this Friday. Over to Netflix we go that stuck up about two point seven percent today's session, rallying. It announced a ten for one stock split that was after the close yesterday. Also, Netflix said to be actively exploring a bit for Warner Brothers studio and streaming businesses. This came out from Reuter, citing people with knowledge of the matter. Remember, though Bloomberg News also has reported earlier that Netflix and both comcasts are way bids for parts of the company, so company at play. But Netflix was hired two point seven percent and Warner Brothers as that target up another three point eight percent in today's session, and then I just wanted to throw First Solar. That's your number one gainer in the s and P five hundred on this Friday, a gain of about fourteen percent. Third quarter earnings per year beat estimates. Alice viewing the company's full year narrowed guidance as better than feared given the regulatory backdrop. We know the pushback that we've seen from the administration on solar and other alt energy. Several analysts also raising its price target tim on the stock on this Friday.
Speaker 1: Well, First Solar maybe the best performer in the s and P five hundred today. The worst performer that goes to dex Calm down fourteen point six percent. This after the company cut its adjusted gross margin forecasts for the full year. There were some analysts, though, who came out and said that twenty twenty six growth outlook I was a little cautious. They view it as conservative in several firms saying they're going to use the weakness as a buying opportunity, and I think many would argue there was quite a bit of weakness today. Speaking of weakness, the worst day ever for new old brands down twenty eight percent today. This is the parent company of Grayco, Rubber Maid, Yankee, Candle, Elmer's Glue, Sharpie, and more. The company cut its normalized earnings per share forecast for the full year, reported third quarter results that were below consensus. It's now trading at levels last seen in two thousand and nine. The companies said it raised prices in response to tariffs, but competitors they did not do the same and that hurt its position in the market. And finally, more superlatives for luminar technology ticker laser LAZR the worst day ever for the company. Shares fell by more than forty five percent. It's now trading at its lowest level ever. It's a record low for the company. The automotive tech company makes light our sensors and more raised a going concern warning. It says it received a subpoena from the SEC for documents in connection with an investigation it's conducting to determine if there has been a violation of federal securities laws. The company is exploring strategic alternatives, including a sale. Once again, shares down more than forty five percent.
Speaker 6: Yeah, total wipeout in Laser. Let's get to the good stuff and go to the bond market. We've been talking about AI. Of course, we had those magnificent seven earnings, but you remember we had a FED decision this week. We had a FED meeting in which the FED chair said that a December hike is or a rate cut rather in December. It's no sure thing, and that really has had an interesting impact on the bond market today. Though pretty quiet the ten year treasure old. I'm going to go ahead and call that unchanged. We're still well above four percent. We did briefly get below that earlier in the past week or so, but overall pretty quiet when it comes to the bond market.
Speaker 4: Carol, all right, let's get to well.
Speaker 3: First of all, I just gonna say, David Gerr, are you trying to cast some problems? You want him to do the gainers?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I thought maybe mix it up a little bit next time if I'm invited back.
Speaker 1: I got to say, how come you never did that? People said, how came you never get to do the gainers? And I say, I do them when Carol's got home.
Speaker 6: Well, David girl causing a ruckus in this chat, also calling out Tim Stenovich for submitting his decliner's lates.
Speaker 1: That's thing David.
Speaker 3: I kind of just squeezing cousin problems, causing problems. All right, let's get to some stories that are on our radar. A lot of it has to do with Halloween. It is Halloween, Happy Halloween, everybody. This one caught Tim and my attention comes from our Business Week daily newsletter. And it has to do with an old bank that's downtown. It's been vacant. It played a pretty big role in the nineteen twenties in terms of the excesses and then carelessness. It's a National City Bank of New York, and now a lot of folks are going there to celebrate Halloween.
Speaker 1: Okay, there's a boy.
Speaker 5: I think this is Tim and your costume, right, Tim, that's.
Speaker 1: Carol out all right.
Speaker 4: Next time there's.
Speaker 1: An undead cop who wanders the hall. The experience is decidedly hair raising their killer clowns lurking in the vall.
Speaker 3: That was a killer clown.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh that was the killer clown clown. I it seems pretty cool. This is like very Bloomberg, right. It's Halloween meets finance meets you know, a little bit of history.
Speaker 4: Boy, Tim, do I have a story for you?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm waiting.
Speaker 6: The story that we are bringing to the table is about Halloween, but also ai there Apparently there's a haunted house owner, a real estate developer.
Speaker 4: His name is Derek Strine.
Speaker 6: He wants to turn the nearly one hundred and thirty acre grounds of the former Penhurst Asylum into a world class data center.
Speaker 4: So, as I understand it, it is a haunted.
Speaker 6: House currently, but look at that land, that's square footage.
Speaker 4: Why not turn that into a data center. They're very hot right now.
Speaker 5: Just fascinating this story. One hundred and twenty people work around the holidays. It's like a successful haunted house. Yeah, yet not successful enough. It seems he's already spent I think millions of dollars, Katie kind of lining it up to get more electricity, make it into the data center that he hopes it is, you know, I guess, make it more useful year round.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 5: Well, I feel sad.
Speaker 4: It is a seasonal, seasonal business.
Speaker 6: I suppose we'll have to check in with him this time next Halloween.
Speaker 3: Does anybody hear bubble bust? Well?
Speaker 1: I mean, is there anything more emblematic of our times that?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Transitions such as this? Yeah, I don't know if they can get I know he's trying to get the electricity up and running. But if you can get the power, why.
Speaker 2: Not The Stockmovers Report from Bloomberg Radio. Check back with us throughout the day for the latest roundup of companies making news on Wall Street and for the latest market moving headlines. Listen to Bloomberg Radio Live, catch us on YouTube, Bloomberg dot com, and on Applecarplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business App.