Speaker 1: Mother Knows Death starring Nicole and Jemmy and Maria qk Hi. Everyone welcome The Mother Knows Death. Let's get into this week's six shocking stories.
Speaker 2: So our first one is called cut your fingernails Please. I don't want to see where this goes, because fingernails gross me out really badly. So this woman and her sexual partner were having sex. After they finished, she ended up dying, and what they founded her autopsy was really surprising.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so they did the autopsy, and you know, she was a perfectly young person. They just didn't really understand what happened with her. And when they took out her uterus and vagina, so that's one of the organs that we typically examine on every autop they took it out and they saw this large laceration in the vaginal wall that was very heemorrhagic and it looked like it was definitely a source of what the problem was. And when they did the entire autopsy, they kind of had their suspicions. So they did it in a specific way where they examined the heart and the vessels that go into the heart and come out of the heart under water, So they put water in the chest cavity, and when they opened up the heart and the vessels, there were lots of air bubbles coming out, which is helpful in diagnosing something called an air embolism. So what is an air embolism exactly and are they common? So any they're not very common, and any time you have an embolism, So an embolism means that it's something that occurs inside of one of the vessels and it could travel to the heart and to the lungs, which is always dangerous. So you've probably heard of pulmonary embolism. You've probably heard of a fat embolism when we were talking about like bosuction and those procedures like that, and an air embolism is the same thing. It's when air enters one part of the cardiovascular system and it travels to the heart and lungs, and obviously, like when anything is in the circulatory system that's not supposed to be there besides blood that's circulating oxygen through your body, then it could be really bad and it could end up causing death. So in this case, they determined that she was getting having how could I say this classy like foreplay for play with Digital penetration very very hard and with fingers yes, okay, digit yes, And the act of just pushing in and out so fast was what caused the air to kind of go into the vagina. But really the way that the air got into the vascular system was because his fingernails were so long that it caused a laceration and a tear in the vaginal wall, which then put a tear into one of the veins, and that's how the air ended up getting up inside of there. I mean, if your fingernails are that long that it's causing damage like that, that is absolutely disgusting. I don't know, my fingernails are like five inches long.
Speaker 2: You have acrylic nails that are done like what I guess when they were when they were doing the autopsy, Like, is that something they go back and look at the other person's fingernails. Well, it's it's part of the investigation. That's what they determined it was from.
Speaker 1: And it's it's still so it's just a complete freak death. It's it. Air embolisms and women especially are most common in the postpartum period, and that's because when you have your placenta inside of your uterus right after you give birth, when the placenta breaks off from the inside of the uterus, it causes these open ended vessels, right, And that's why that period for six weeks after you have a baby. This is one of the reasons they tell you shouldn't be having sex because this has been documented to happen in people because just the forceful pumping of a penis and air up inside there can cause air to get into the vascular system that way. So it's just it's just really really rare for it to even happen then as well, but there are documented cases of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean death by fingernail for play.
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I never would have thought of something like this, I guess I don't know.
Speaker 1: I've seen some dudes with some gnarly fingernails, just especially at when you go get your food at take out or something. Just it really grosses me out. You're you're like, why do you have a You shouldn't have a free edge if you're a dude. I think, I mean this kind of goes.
Speaker 2: A couple of weeks ago, we were talking about, you know, like how men wearing sandals kind of skive us out, which I don't feel like people. I mean, the comments were really mixed on that, with a lot of people agreeing, but some people just telling us we were assholes basically. But I mean, I think I'm thinking about this too. Like fingernails, when they're long, no matter if you're male or female, it they're If they're not properly manicured and they're dirt under them and they're long, it just skis me out so bad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And that's also another another thing that I wanted to say, like if you and it, I mean, obviously women and men could stick their fingers inside of vaginas, but if there's a lot of dirt and debris and bacteria underneath of the nail, and then on top of that they're long and they're sharp, you can cut the inside of the vagina as well and introduce bacteria into there. So you want to make sure that if you're partaking in those activities that the person has clean, short fingernails.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. And like I don't know, like personally, I would never want to engage with somebody that had fingernails like that, But what are you gonna if you're in spur of the moment, you know, you're like lusting after each other.
Speaker 1: What are you going to be like?
Speaker 2: All right, stop and cut your fingernails or make sure they're cleaning shit.
Speaker 1: You should definitely always keep now clippers by the side of your bed. I guess in case this such situation ever happened.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that won't ruin the moment or anything, but I don't know. All right. This next one is called bulletproof chest. So a thirty four year old woman walked in on somebody who was about to take their own life with a gun. She goes to try to get the gun out of their hand and it accidentally discharges, shooting her in the chest. So at the hospital, doctors determined that, you know, the bullet went through a pretty unusual thing and possibly saved her life.
Speaker 1: So she got shot essentially through the areola right close to the nipple and it so that was where the entrance wound was and it went out of her armpit. And when they did the dissection, when they were doing surgery, they saw that the trajectory of the bullet went through the nipple area and that it hit her breast implant. She had a saline breast implant, and then it kind of ricocheted off of the capsule. So the capsule is when you get breast implants, you have tissue that grows in your body because your body recognizes a breast implant as being foreign and it doesn't like it. So your body kind of builds a wall around the implant and it's like this thick wall of tissue. Well, the bullet kind of bounced off of that capsule and instead of going through her rib, which is where it wanted to go, it lost the moment momentum and kind of bounced off and went out her armpit and saved her life. And the cool part is in the picture in the post, you could see the implant coming out of the exit woman. It's really crazy looking. Yeah, and you were.
Speaker 2: Writing about in the post too, how there was studies where, you know, like ballistic experts were actually shooting breast implants in the field to try to see if they were helpful in this at all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's real. It's really interesting. So they did studies and they found that women that have breast implants could be twenties percent more likely to survive if they get shot in the chest because they can they ruined the momentum of the projectile that's going through you know what I mean, Like it slows it down, so to speak. Yeah, I was.
Speaker 2: Wondering too, like because we've talked a lot about breast implant illness and everything. To him, like what if she had the silicone ones and then that could have caused a whole different set of issues with the silicon popping. And I don't know if that would have had the same effect.
Speaker 1: And well, most I believe that most of the modern day implants that are put in that the silicone is solid. It's not like remember when I first started working in pathology, I would show you that we would get these ruptured breast implants from like these old ladies that got them done in like the seventies and eighties and never took them out. And they're very like basically like a balloon filled with liquid silicone, sticky nastiness. So anytime the outside of this balloon like ripped or ruptured, all of that silicone would leak inside of a woman's chest. But now they're made so they can get be up a little bit. I mean, you would still have to take it out, but it wouldn't leak as it used to back in the day. I mean, obviously that was what was causing people all these problems.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you have to get them. If you have breast implants, you have to get them replaced, like every ten years or so, right. I don't know if it's I wouldn't say it's as frequent as ten years. I'd say probably closer to twenty years. But yes, But I think that a lot of the problems that we see with foreign bodies in the lab are because people don't really realize that. But also I always think about this, And I was talking with one of our friends that has implants, who got them when she was what thirty five, So she's going to need to have them replaced a couple times in her life. And I'm like, Okay, you're thirty five and you really want breast implants, right, And when you're fifty five you might really want breast implants. But then all of a sudden, it's like you're seventy five, so and you think, like, okay, whatever, I'm going to die soon. But sometimes people live to be like ninety years old, one hundred years old. You really should get them replaced and not just leave them in, right. And it's just like the older you get, the less you.
Speaker 1: Care about Like that, I feel maybe not every woman, but I think a lot of women or just be like, you know, you're sixty five years old, and now all of a sudden, it's like you have authritis, you have high blood pressure, you know what I mean, Like you just either maybe not even healthy enough to get surgery. But just like also just like I have two kids, I have five grandkids, Like I just don't care anymore, you know what I mean. And you can't. You have to because they could start causing problems if they're in too long.
Speaker 2: You know. I feel like a lot of people I talk to that want breast implants don't realize that you have to get them replaced at some point. I think they think it's a one and done surgery.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they most people probably think that when they start, but any good surgeon will tell them that's not the case, you know, So and and twenty years goes by fast, you know. And that's another thing too, is the cost. Like maybe when you're younger and you want to get them done, you know, you don't have any responsibilities, and you you know, because it costs a decent amount of money to get the surgery done, and then when you get older, it's like, oh, do I really want to spend thousands of dollars to get new boobs right now? No, I'd rather go on a trip, or I'd rather pay for my kids college, or you know what I mean. There's just like all these it's a lifelong decision. You could also just get them taken out, but then a lot of times that doesn't work out well, especially if you went up so large, like you might have a lot of extra hanging skin and stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I don't think they're ever in my future. I could see myself winning a lift eventually, but maybe I don't know, Like I just feel like I have such bad bag problems already, I don't need to introduce anything else into the mix.
Speaker 1: I'm against them. I like the way that they look in some people, for sure, and I think that they definitely help people with if they have insecurities about that. I'm just kind of anti foreign body unless I really really need one, just because I've seen how horrible it could go for some people. And I just think, like, if you have if you have a normally like hyperactive immune system, which I think I do, between like allergies and my autoimmune disease and stuff that I don't know, Like, I feel like my body would just freak out, and I just I wouldn't want to deal with like that. Yeah, you have to deal with so much, but I I mean, I know people that have had them and never had any problems. It's the same with the IUD though. I know people that have had iud's that had no problems and other ones that it's the worst thing ever. So whatever, just take the chance if it's if it bothers you that bad to just you know, you could always get them caught out.
Speaker 2: Okay, This next one is called Mattress Side in Turkey. A fifty seven year old woman was living with her thirty three year old daughter who was schizophrenic. So the mom was supposed to show up to some home meeting. I'm assuming there was like an hoa type of deal or in their apartment building. You know, they just had meetings whatever. But she didn't show up, and because earlier in the day there had been screaming coming from the apartment, the neighbors decided to call the police. So the police get there and come across a really disturbing scene.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so when the police showed up, they found this mom had been not only murdered, but she's also was partially dismembered, including her head was decapitated. She had just such serious trauma to her bed, to her body, and there was a box, a cardboard box next to the bed where her body and body parts were in. So they decide when they looked at her, they saw that her right arm and both hands were found in the cardboard box next to the bed, and it it did look like the daughter had attempted to clean up the scene. So when they went into the kitchen, it was like the clothes that she was wearing were put into the washing machine and the knight, the knife that she used, was washed. And they did also see something really unusual was that the toilet was broke into pieces. So they didn't really understand what that was. So they interviewed the daughter and she was saying basically that she was always criticizing and humiliating her and I mean, she obviously had this history of schizophrenia, right, So she said that she stabbed her mom to death and then a couple hours later she cut off her hands and she cut off her head. But the craziest part and the most disturbing part I guess of this story is when they examined all of her body parts, they saw that her head was indeed cut off at thee the number two cervical vertebral area, which is like you can't see in the video, but like right, you know, at the very top of your neck, right under where you could fear your skull going into your spinal canal.
Speaker 2: And when they did, she cut her mom's head off when she was dead, right, But this is proving.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they so that's what they looked at. But so not only did she have seventy one stab wounds in her head, which is outrageous, so many the photo is just so disturbing, but all of these stab wounds, including the amputation margin, had hemorrhage, which indicates that she was alive when those injuries took place. So the daughter cut her mom's head off while she was still alive.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think what's disturbing for investigators too, is she said she was aware that she was in the middle of an episode when it was happening.
Speaker 1: Yeah, schizophrannia is just so it's so scary, and it's like this mom was almost sixty years old living with her daughter. She had this diagnosis as schizophrannia. She never worked and had a job, and she had to live at home with her mom. And just imagine the fear that her mom lived in with knowing that her daughter had episodes like this and stuff. And the hands had evidence of defensive wounds, So it means that she was aware that she was getting stabbed and was trying to push her daughter off. And really, and then again, if this wasn't disturbing enough, the most disturbing part is after they, you know, talk to the daughter that murdered her mom, they found out that she broke the toilet because she was trying to make the opening bigger so she could stuff her body parts in it.
Speaker 2: It's just it's really sad to see this go down. And you know, mattress Side's really really rare, especially by a daughter, right, Like, isn't that mostly committed by sons? Yeah, it's only like one to four percent of murders anyway, and yes, most of the time it's committed by sons. I feel like people are going to push back on that statistic because you know, right now, the hottest case in the news is Gypsy Rose blanterd and especially because you know, new crime scene photos have come out and we just have to think of that like a daughter that killed her. But that's I feel like, you know, a special case, which is why that case is so sensationalized with everything happening with it in the Munchausen by proxy and you know, but I don't feel like in when we're researching that we come across a lot of these cases.
Speaker 1: No, and I don't I'm not sure if tho. I don't think that those photos are new crime scene photos. I think that after everything that I looked up, it's just like they were already Apparently they've been available the whole time, and they circulated the internet for a while years ago when this happened, and now they're just kind of recirculating. I'm not sure what prompted it to get to recirculate them. But I did talk about some of the photos because one of the grocery members sent me the file with every single picture, so it's kind of interesting to look at. But I'm not even sure that that wouldn't really be considered mattricide because she physically didn't kill the mom. Yes, you know what I mean, like her friend killed the boyfriend. But and I wonder if anyone ever interviews her why she decided to not. I guess that's why she got in trouble and went to jail, because it wasn't an impulsive thing that she decided to do to protect herself. Kind of it was like planned out and you know, like why she decided that she wasn't going to do it herself versus get someone to do it. Yeah, I mean, it's definitely come up that question to her right, like why did you do it? Why do you have the guy do it?
Speaker 2: Right? I don't remember off the top of my head what her answer was, but I think, you know, they definitely she definitely had charged with some form of first degree murder, even though she didn't commit it herself, but she was heavily involved in the planning process. So even though she didn't stab her mother directly, she was part of it in an accessory to the crime, and then you had a factor in all the abuse that happened. So I think that's why her sentence was not as bad as it normally would have been for a crime like that, because they were able to successfully prove that she was a victim of lifelong abuse.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally. And when you look at the photos, the crime scene photos, I have the length for them posted in the gross room as well, but it's kind of disturbing to see just I mean, obviously you see the mom dead or whatever, but just just there's pictures of the entire house, the entire outside of the house, and when you look at the outside of the house, you're like, oh, this is just like a cute little suburban house. It's like, I don't know what style of house she would call that. I think it's a rancher honestly, but it's painted nice and it's it looks like it's in like a suburb, right. And then when you go inside, it's weird because I feel like it looks like the mom spent the time to decorate the house. I mean, it's corny, but it's you know, she painted every room and did decorations to match and this, that and the other, and then you look around and it's just a complete hoarded mess. To think that that anybody was even living at I.
Speaker 2: Don't think she took the time to decorate and painted. They got the house donated by habitat for Humanity, which later came up as this really big deal because obviously the whole thing was fraudulent, right, So oh that's interesting. So so Habitat for Humanity. They come and build you the entire they give you like a I don't really know exactly what they do, but yeah, I mean they got.
Speaker 1: That because she was sick. They that's how they got.
Speaker 2: They got the house as a charitable donation because everybody thought that she was sick. So that was I mean, if the mom hadn't died, she I think eventually would have gotten in trouble for like fraud and all of that stuff too, because she was fraudulently getting money and going on like make a wish trips Disney World and then getting this house for free.
Speaker 1: And you know what, the most the most disturbing part of the Gypsy Rose case is that I understand that you can make up all these stories and have your friends in fact believe that your child sick. But how do you go to a medical doctor and tell them that your child's sick to the point where they give your child chemotherapy, yeah, and the FU tube and yes, like without any evidence to back that up. I just don't I don't understand how that even happened. And I was, you know, when I was rereading about this case yesterday, I was just like, are they doing any kind of investigation on these medical doctors that perform these procedures on this kid? Really?
Speaker 2: Yeah? And I'm certainly not defending them. I'm saying, like, from what I know about the case, it seems like when people started question her, that's when she would start going to new doctors, and then the mom was forging paperwork and documents and all of that stuff. So like I think today there's a lot more of a digital presence with records. I don't know about ten fifteen years ago when this was going on, how she was able to do it, but she clearly was able to do it in some capacity I on for twenty years.
Speaker 1: I just can't. I can't wrap my brain around just going to an oncologist for a child and them not having blood work and all the other testing to support whatever diagnosis she has. Even if you're gone, especially if you're going to a new doctor and they don't know anything about it, I don't think they're just gonna take like a handout of some paperwork as proof and start a drug like that. Like it just it seems so irresponsible to me that the system failed this kid on multiple levels, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean because this story to me sounds like you can just go to the oncologist and be like, well, the last doctor told me I have cancer, so what are we gonna do now, and then they just don't check. They're not like, well, where's your test results and where's all this and how did it go down and everything like that.
Speaker 1: Okay, this this lady got stabbed death in like twenty fifteen. It wasn't that long ago, no, I mean, that's why I just I'm like, no, Like I was definitely working in the hospital then, and there was definitely electronic records, and I just don't, I don't, I don't understand, and I really haven't heard much about that, and I'm curious about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, clearly this is exposing these huge flaws in the system, right, because how could this even go on for so long? I mean, I think I think Gypsy was about twenty when she figured it out, So the mom died in twenty fifteen. I think Gypsy roses Ricky's age, So I think she's like thirty one or thirty two. No, she just turned thirty three. Thish, Okay, so she's thirty three. So this crime happened when she was in her early twenties. But I think even when the crime occurred, her mom told her she was sixteen or something, but she was really twenty one or twenty two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, like the abuse was clearly documented, and I think she was completely justified honestly to I mean, she you shouldn't ever kill somebody, but like if there was ever a reason too, this would certainly be it. Anything that has to do with child abuse is like fair game as far as I'm concerned. But yeah, that shit, that whole case is just is insane. But yeah, I could see maybe like the feeding tube, because if the kid was on some kind of lots of different medications that they weren't able to get nutrition that they need, and the kid wasn't gaining weight and was and was losing weight and not thriving, I could see them giving a feeding tube. But I feel like all the other stuff before it, I don't know, it's just it's very weird to me.
Speaker 2: All Right, let's get into this next one called vehicle homicide. So that title might be confusing for everybody.
Speaker 1: To get there.
Speaker 2: So this sixty year old man was just riding his bike and he got hit by a car. So you would think, you know, maybe he would be the victim in this situation, in dying from this, but no, he flew off the bike and hit another woman that was just innostantly eating lunch outside and she died. So essentially she got killed by a car without the car ever even touching her.
Speaker 1: You know this. I was when we were reading about this case this morning, I thought this could have totally happened, just happened in Philly. I don't know if you heard about that doctor that worked at Chopp that got kept by a carrible. It was horrible. She was riding a young I think she was a resident or a chief resident of oncology, I believe, and she was riding her bike to Children's hospital and she got hit by a car like really bad and was flipped up in the air and thrown some feet away. And it's like the same exact thing could have happened if it was and it was right in Brittenhouse, I believe, right, wasn't it right around there where there's lots of restaurants where people are sitting and eating outside, and I think that nobody even thinks about that. When you're sitting next to like a semi busy street where cars can drive really fast, that's something like this could happen, and it's the ultimate definition of a freak accident. But in this case, the the bicyclist was essentially flung into her body and it caused her to get what was called the ring fracture of the skull, which is when you know, if you look at a skull and you see that giant hole at the bottom.
Speaker 2: Sure, do you ever like another one?
Speaker 1: But well yeah, they just they even have them in fake ones sometimes for like Halloween and stuff. But that's the forame and magnum, and that's where your spinal cord comes up and enters your brain. Right. Well, when you have a fracture around there, it's like your skull kind of separates from that ring around your spinal canal and it caught. That's what happened with her. Like it's a really really bad fracture and it's usually fatal. But they think that those kinds of fractures usually happened from like hyper extensions. So the guy like crashed into her face and shoulder so hard that it like kind of ripped her neck off of her skull kind of. I'm just it's it's so terrible.
Speaker 2: How could like, of course, this is a freaking accident, because how could you prevent this in any way. I mean, the car hits you, and you're on a bike, so you're kind of not in control over you're landing right, So there's no there's nothing this guy could have even done to try to avoid hitting her. It just goes down so fast.
Speaker 1: No, and the it's it's weird too. I thought that in this report they didn't say what happened to the bicyclist. I don't know if he survived. I don't know what happened with him. But yeah, just imagine surviving something like that and then knowing that you kill the person well your body, you know, I know it's not your fault, but you still feel terrible about that. I suppose, Yeah, And I wonder does the driver then get in trouble for that woman's death? Oh yes? If? Well, the thing is is if if it's just like an if it was an innocent accident, you know, everything has to do with what the circumstances are surrounding it. So if it was an innocent accident, like, no, it was an accident, right, But if the person was drunk, then yeah they will they will absolutely get charged with vehicular homicide in that case, one hundred percent. Yeah, I mean, and they should.
Speaker 2: Like it just sucks because you can't not eat outside because like this is because it's awesome. I love eating outside is awesome. But you know this is this doesn't happen often, right, which is why we're interested in talking about it. But it definitely is scary to just think about. Like you could just be trilling on the sidewalk, eating a salad or whatever, and then all of a sudden this this had to go down in less than ten seconds, right, I mean, it just has to be so fast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean the lady literally died in the seat at the cafe she was eating it like it just was that quick. Yeah, which I guess is good that she died fast. And I mean, like clearly she didn't even know what was happening, like it happened so fast. But imagine the person that was eating lunch with her outside, right, well.
Speaker 2: That everybody watching, Like you're saying it's it obviously is absolutely horrific that she died, but at least it was it was quick and she didn't have to suffer for weeks and then die, so it.
Speaker 1: You know what, That's actually a good question I have for the listeners, Like that would be interesting for this six Shocking Stories is if you've ever witnessed someone die like right in front of you. Obviously, I feel like the most common thing is you see somebody have like a cardiac event or something like that, but like something more crazy that you were just you were just kind of sitting there, just hanging out, and then all of a sudden, something like terrible happened in front of you. We love to hear those stories. Yeah, I mean, has that ever happened to you? Yes? Actually, when I was working in the city at a hospital, I was in Blue Steel's office, which was on the corner of a busy city street, and a guy who was working on the windows like fell to his death, like right by the window outside. I mean he fell right in front of the emergency You saw him fall? Oh oh yeah. We were in his office just like talking and then we saw something go by and like looked out the window and it was the guy was laying on the ground with like blood coming from his head, and if anywhere you're going to have a horrible accident, I mean he was right outside of the emergency room of a Level one trauma center and they couldn't save him because that's how bad it was. But that that was, like, that was really really sad when I saw that. I can't really think of anything else off the top of my head. Probably I would say not if I can't remember, because that's something that is really horrible, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean when I was I feel like when I was maybe I was around Lillian's age, like eleven or twelve. My aunt and uncle live in DC, so we were driving down to go visit them, and we stopped at the Maryland House rest up and I saw a guy have a heart attack there and he was there with his daughter who was my age, and he died there. So yeah, I remember that you were like really traumatized by that. Well, yeah, because it's not only horrible to see somebody die like that, but then I'm like, well, what's happening to this kid?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: They were on like a drive together, right, so what's gonna happen? To her.
Speaker 1: Now, I also feel like in those situations, it's like, is there anybody that's really there? Like, I know they're trying to pay attention to the guy that's sick, but is there anybody there that's like trying to comfort a child at all in a situation like that. Like, the whole thing was eerie.
Speaker 2: I mean, her screaming, everybody just you know, gawking and not doing anything to help the situation just classic. I mean if this was now, it would be somebody taking their camera out and videoing it and putting it on TikTok. Right, So the whole thing was disturbing. I mean, honestly that it was just such. It was just such a dark moment that I didn't go back there for a very long time. Like I actively asked every time we drive to DC, can we please not stop there, because it just was this horrible memory I.
Speaker 1: Had associated with.
Speaker 2: But I think I went there in more recent years. But it's it's horrible to see something like that. Yeah, I mean, I can't imagine seeing something like this going down. Just I don't know, the whole thing.
Speaker 1: I don't want to see any of these stories going down me neither, especially this next one. Oh my god.
Speaker 2: So, I mean, obviously, rect old farm bodies are no stranger to this show. I mean we're talking about them all all the time. We could talk about one every episode. That's different because it happens so often. We can honestly probably have an entire spinoff podcast where we have people write it. I mean, this is the most submissions we get is about stuff like this, right, and we're just talking about it all the time. It's always in the news. I mean we can literally it never gets old. We can have an entire show just talking about things. People stick up their butts.
Speaker 1: It's thing. Men stuck stick up their butts. It's always a dude.
Speaker 2: So I thought it was interesting because when you wrote this up you were saying that, you know, I found it interesting. You were pointing out that men in particular sometimes women too, instead of just buying a vibrator or something because they're embarrassed, they're always just finding these miscellaneous, like cylindrical shaped items around their house instead of just like, why can't especially with the internet, why can't you just buy something on Amazon and have it shifted to your house? Right? It comes in?
Speaker 1: God, could you imagine how much worse. This was like back in the day before the Internet. No, I really I think about that all the time because like even in my lifetime, there was no Internet when I was younger, and it's like, if you wanted to get a sex toy or something, you had to go to like South Street to Condemn Kingdom or something like that. Like you couldn't just order one and have it like from Amazon and have it delivered to your house.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: So what especially guys that are like embarrassed with that stuff, like they're they're definitely going to be using stuff around the house.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, even though like people are so much more open about sexuality and stuff today. A couple of years ago, I was working on a project and I had to go to a sex shop in Philly to buy the specialized underwear for somebody on this project that was working on and I ran into somebody I went to high school with, and I'm not gonna lie, it was awkward because it's like, oh, and I'm like I'm here for work. Yeah, so I'm not embarrassed.
Speaker 1: There's like nothing else you can buy there. It's not like you were like, oh, I just had to stop and get milk and like that's why I'm here, Like there's only one reason why you're there, even for me.
Speaker 2: I'm like whatever, I guess I could remove myself from embarrassment because I'm like, I'm I am not buying something for myself. I'm buying something for work. Not that that person knew that, but walking into a really tiny sex shop and seeing somebody you knew in high school that you actually kind of barely knew shopping for dildos is kind of really awkward and you just like head nod, like I know you, but we're not talking right now.
Speaker 1: This is just so weird.
Speaker 2: But anyway, so this in France, this is a couple of years ago, and this this eighty eight year old guy shows up to the emergency room and you know, he has he has a rectal farm body, and you know, typically they see shampoo, bottles, cucumbers a pair, as we've discussed before. No, this guy had a bomb up there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he had an arterial shell up there. So I'm not one hundred percent certain what an arterior shell is, but I think that they can be lots of different things. I'm kind of under the assumption that it's almost like a shotgun shell just like really big that it's a shell that's filled with ammo that has to be fired from like a tank or something. Okay, so I personally feel like that thing just by itself is it's just like holding a shotgun ammunition, Like it's not going to do anything without being it needs some kind of source of of of flame to get it going.
Speaker 2: So it's not even like a grenade where you could just but I don't know, but I don't I don't know because like this is from World it ended up being from World War One. Yeah, so it's that old like I don't know, I just really don't know enough about like army stuff or whatever you want to call it, that I don't know that that thing just sitting there is dangerous. And then also you have so you could have one that was already kind of like it's inert now it's not of a danger, it was already shot or it's just I don't know that they have a way to disarm it somehow, And then you have ones that are active. I mean, you do hear that certain things killed like from old wars kill people from time to time that was like in somebody's basement or something. So I don't know if that's referring to like a grenade, because that they're the ones I consider different, Like, oh, you pull the pin.
Speaker 1: Out and then the thing could explode. I don't know if these things can do that.
Speaker 2: Well the emergency regardless, you didn't know that, well, yeah, exactly, Like if I was working in the hospital and got some shit like that, I'd be like, Yo, maybe we should call somebody that knows a little bit about this to check this out. Yeah, So they had to call a bomb squad to come in before they were able to remove this thing from the guide and make sure. You know, they weren't going to take it out and it wasn't gonna blow everybody up.
Speaker 1: So and this is this is like some of the struggles of the people in the bomb squad. I'm sure this was a first for them. But they go in and they're you have to remember, like they're looking at this thing through imaging because they can't look at the actual thing because it's inside the guy's body. So they're looking at this thing through like an X ray or something to determine what it is and if it's dangerous or not.
Speaker 2: Just went down, So they see this when you see pictures of it. It's just kind of like this metal like cylindrical shell. Right, So if they're looking at this on imaging, they can't really tell from what it is exactly because they're just seeing the shape of it essentially, So are they seeing it and they're asking him what it is and he tells them it's.
Speaker 1: That, yeah, probably, I mean the thing. Let's just talk about the size of this thing. It's eight inches long, so it's like, you know, approaching the size of a ruler, and it is more than two inches thick, So this thing is freakin' it's big. It's big, so they know it's they know it's something like, it's something that's not right, so they will say like what is this? And I'm sure they ask patients that all the time, even if they see a shampoo bottle or whatever, because they want to make sure because we have cases in the gross room too of people that like put items that are glass up there, and then that's a risk to the surgeon if something like that breaks. It's not like everything's this nice plastic easy thing to get out, and they want to know not only that if it's glass, that could cut the patient too, and they're pulling it out, like they just want to know what it is so they know what they're dealing with. This guy's eighty eight years old, Okay, eighty eight years old, and he has this thing up his butt that's this big. Like he's been doing this a long time, and this might have been his friend for a very very long time before the internet even existed. Like think about this, Like this guy didn't just like wake up at eighty eight years old and say like, hey, let me try this. I have this thing hanging around, Like you can't get something that big up there without like working at it a while.
Speaker 2: He was using this for a while, but this was the first time it got stuck.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or he was using other stuff and gradually got up to that level. Like it just would be very for sexual you're doing it for sexual pleasure to feel good. Like I guess in theory, you could get that thing up there on the first try, but like it definitely wouldn't feel good and nobody would would want to do that. So I feel like he started smaller and like gradually worked his way up to that thing.
Speaker 2: I also feel like it's kind of irresponsible to take a hundred year old piece of metal that's like rusty and put it into either of your body.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, who knows. Who knows what the guy was thinking and he could have been completely out of his mind, who knows. But I just think about like the bomb squad getting called for that and then going in and then they determined that it was like a low probability that it would explode inside of his body. And do you think do you think they just said that because they were like, yeah, we're we don't want to talk about this anymore and we don't want to be in this situation anymore, because like surgeas is like totally normal, like they take things out of people's bots all the time, but like you're just the bomb squad person that's used to checking like something in a suspicious backpack, like not not going to the hospital and thinking about something in some old guy's ass, right, Yeah, I mean I.
Speaker 2: Was really thinking about this because yesterday we wrote about the Atlanta Olympic bombing. So last night I watched the movie Richard Jewel that Clint Eastwood made, which, by the way, I was like blubbering crying the entire time.
Speaker 1: It was so sad. That's so terrible.
Speaker 2: But I was thinking about in the movie when they showed the bomb squad checking out the backpack. How you know, all they have to do is kind of like get down to the flash it opened the flaps of a backpack. Now assessed the rectum of an eighty eight year old man and try to determine if the thing he stuck up his butt willingly.
Speaker 1: I'm not even sure they that they got anywhere near the patient, honestly, because there's nothing like from the average person walking into an operating room. There's nothing that they were going to be able to look at to determine if it was if it was volatile or not. Like it's just they had to just look, like do it based on imaging. So maybe they just like pulled them in a room in the hospital and were like, look at this, because like looking at the guy isn't going to do anything. And in this case, the thing was so big, like there was no way they were getting that out through his anus, So they had to cut open an incision on his abdomen and go in through the inside, cut his rectum open and take it out that way. And he I mean, they said that he was expected to heal and I mean, you're eighty eight and you're getting colon surgery and he'll be fine, I guess.
Speaker 2: But do you think he'll get in trouble because the emergency room had to be evacuated in the inconvenience that caused. I mean we're like, do you I mean, I think people can legally own things like this.
Speaker 1: It's war memory. I don't don't get in trouble. I mean, he wasn't intentionally trying to hurt people, like it just was like and like I said, like he could have been doing this for years and just never had an issue and just didn't think anything of it. Like I don't think he was. It's not like he went in and was like I have something that can explode in my orifice and like like trying to start like a terroristic act or something.
Speaker 2: I mean kind of the most surprising start part of this story for me was that an eighty eight year old man was this sexually active.
Speaker 1: No I get. I'm telling you. The very first, the very first rectal foreign body I got before I even understood what was happening, was I got a traveled toothbrush holder on a seventy eight year old man and I was just so blown away, like I couldn't understand. It was covered in poop and it was just nasty. And then when I went to talk to one of the pathologist about it, he was the one that sat me down and was just like, oh no, it's always men and this is why.
Speaker 2: And I was like, they were like eve, little Nicole, Oh.
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly that, yes, exactly, And.
Speaker 2: They sure were opened after that, and then you got twenty five more that month because you worked at a huge hospital.
Speaker 1: And yes, I mean it doesn't matter what hospital I ever worked at. It's it's a community hospital, large hospital. You still get like everybody's the same all over, which is amazing. You know, like guys like butt pleasure in the burbs and they like it in the big city too.
Speaker 2: So I think the moral of this story is the Internet exists. There's you know, cardboard boxes from Amazon. Just order a dildo that's designed for this online instead of miscellaneous items, especially not weaponry, because not only are you hurting yourself, but you're freaking everybody around you out so chilling.
Speaker 1: And this this post is called as long as it doesn't look like a dick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, seriously, And it's true all right. Our last one is called your garden can Kill You. And this one really worries me about you because every day when I get to your house, you're out there doing some type of gardening and you're always wearing you know, you're kind of turning into momm with your inappropriate shoe wearing situation. We always make fun of Mama because she's wearing sandals always and she falls in them because she's wearing them not in correct situations.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll be going We'll be going somewhere with my mom, Like I don't know, Disney World's somewhere that you need to walk a lot in one day. And she'll come over with like wedge sandals on or something, and we're just like we have to tell her, like she's a child, like are you gonna be comfortable walking in those shoes all day? Is there a chance you could get blisters? Or like I feel like I say that to the children before we go on a hike or something like let's make sure you put on something that's like not gonna give you blisters, and it's it's gonna protect your feet. Like but third nine and eleven, like she's she's like an old lady, and we still have to have this talk with her.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And I even saw over the weekend at the cabin that you were wearing sandals when you were going down those stones, which.
Speaker 1: Are not easy to walk down, by the way. Yeah, but I was. I was getting ready to go stand in the creek. I wanted to have like bare feet. But what if you trip?
Speaker 2: This is my point, Like you came over my house with a balisio. You were being very nice, good mom, putting a wallpaper for me by my back door, and you're wearing rubber slides on a ladder, which is dangerous too. I'm getting worried about your shoe heabits. I think you're turning into bed.
Speaker 1: I will well, Yeah, I guess I do that outside all the time because they're like my comfortable shoes, and my feet get wet when I'm gardening and stuff. So I just don't want to have like that gross wet sock feeling.
Speaker 2: Well, this is why this worries me, because in this story, this guy was on a ladder, just doing gardening like you do every day, and he slipped and fell, and he fell on this aluminum steak that was holding up his tomato plant.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So when they arrived at the scene, this guy has literally has been impelled by an aluminum steak through his chest and he's dead, laying on the ground in front of his tomato plants. And there's a bunch of other tomato plants with similar aluminum steaks, and he's laying on the ground right next to a ladder. So it was clear that that is what happened when they did the investigation and everything, and when they did the autopsy, they found that it went through his left chest and it punctured his lung, and it punctured his A order and it was eleven inches or twenty seven centimeters deep into his body. Like it just it impelled him, that's what happened. And when it went through the A order, you know, it just caused him to have a massive internal bleeding and that's how he died blood to death.
Speaker 2: I saw in the autopsy photos that the steak was still in him when they were dissecting him. Why did they leave it in?
Speaker 1: Well, they want because if you have a person and we lay them down and they have the steak inside of their chest and then we take it out, then you're not really going to be able to see as much of like where it went, where it landed, the damage that was done. We typically when we do an autopsy, even when we're trying to check like the medical interventions that a person had, like if they had like a trake tube or something like that, Like we don't take anything out until we open them up and see where it is, because otherwise you can't tell like what if that thing like went in and kind of like I don't know, missed his heart and he really just had a heart attack and fell and that was just like it just so happened it like second, yeah, which I mean, it's still I guess it's still possible that the guy had a heart attack and fell. But what I'm saying is like that's they do that all the time, Like you don't want to pull something out just because you want to see the track. And it's cool in the autopsy photos that you could see like a side view that they show you how it went through the skin and like exactly like the track it went to and what killed him. But honestly, like if they pulled it out, it would have been obvious that his aorta got punctured and was bleeding all over the place, so it doesn't really matter. But sometimes they just do that for effect, for photos or just documentation purposes. Yeah, I was just.
Speaker 2: Trying to think about how they transported that person from where they found them to the morgue without having any issues of it falling.
Speaker 1: Out because it was stuck in there. It looked. Yeah, but that that happens sometimes too, Like think about we have a lot of cases in the grocer room too, of like people, we have one case I was thinking about talking about, like you know those trucks that like carry timber, like those things like sometimes the big piece of timber, like a giant tree trunk basically like can slide and go through someone's chest and they're still alive and survive the accident. So usually or anytime somebody's impelled with something like the first responders are cut off as much of it as they can and still leave it in place. And especially when a person's alive, you have to transfer them to the hospital because once you pull it out like that thing could be like plugging blood from pouring out of one of their vessels, So you really have to leave it in there and transport people like that like all the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, that's kind of crazy. I just never thought about. I mean, the pictures for me were compelling because it was still inside of him. So I'm just thinking about everybody involved that has to work to preserve that being in his body and transport it without it causing issues.
Speaker 1: Well, especially in a case like this, Like, like it's clear just looking at it that it's that it was probably an accident, But like, how do you know that he didn't get into a fight and some guy came up and grabbed the steak and like stabbed it into his chest and yeah, while he was gardening. I mean, that's totally a possibility. So with their investigation and stuff, they determined that that was what happened because he didn't have any evidence of a struggle or anything like that. And so all right, Well, if you guys want to submit your shocking story, you could email stories at Mothernosdeath dot com. Please include as many details as possible pictures if you want, give us a little teaser in the headline. We'd love to hear your story. Thanks guys, thank you for listening to Mother nos Death. As a reminder, my training is as a pathologist assistant. I have a master's level education and specialize in anatomy and pathology education. I am not a doctor and I've not diagnosed or treated anyone dead or alive without the assistance of a licensed medical doctor. This show, my website, and social media accounts are designed to educate and inform people based on my experience working in pathology, so they can make healthier decisions regarding their life and well being. Always remember that science is changing every day and the opinions expressed in this episode are based on my knowledge of those subjects at the time of publication. If you are having a medical problem, have a medical question, or having a medical emergency, please contact your physician or visit an urgent care center, emergency room, or hospital. Please rate, review, and subscribe to Mother Knows Death on Apple, Spotify, YouTube, or anywhere you get podcasts.
Speaker 2: Thanks