Speaker 1: Also media, Welcome to Behind the Bastards, a podcast where I, Robert Evans, am going to war like a one man like Rambo, like one of the later Rambo movies, not the first one that was actually about the cost of PTSD and Imperial War, but like the later ones where he's a one man army. I'm doing that, and I'm doing it against Microsoft because I fucking hate co Pilot. With me to talk about how much we hate Microsoft co Pilot, my producer Sophie Lichterman, and our wonderful guest David Borie. David, how do you feel about Microsoft co pilot?
Speaker 2: Ah Rambo three, let's go okay, okay, okay, kill a ton of brown people.
Speaker 1: Well, no, I mean this one. We're just it's just like Microsoft co pilots. We're killing Okay, all of them are not really people.
Speaker 2: It's so bad.
Speaker 1: The outlook is terrible. Microsoft has really gone far off of making a lot of products that people hate to use.
Speaker 3: Speaking of speaking of products people hate to use, David said before we started recording that he was excited to hear this story. I just watched it.
Speaker 4: Know.
Speaker 3: Where we're starting on this story is page twenty one of the script, and where we add the script is page forty nine.
Speaker 1: WHOA, I I made a mistake in doing this. I'm gonna admit that right now before we get further, I'm gonna say I aired in this. And it's you know, I've made peace with the inevitability of fucking stuff up, especially when like every week you're doing a different chunk of history and we're veering from like we're talking about fucking seventeenth and eighteenth century France and then like now we're talking about like a fucking gay you died, a genocide and Darfur or whatever. Right, like you're going to these are all important topics, but like you simply can't every single week cover the breadth of stuff that we do and not you're gonna misspeak, You're gonna make errors and stuff. And when it comes to like I'm talking about I'm talking about like not obviously those are important, but you know, if I fuck up some fact about like early nineteen hundreds Germany, I'm not going to be like too bent out of shape because it's like, you know, there's there's no perfection in this. But in this case, it's this tiny little community that nearly all of the reporting on has been like deeply incomplete, and I feel like I like the stress over, like what do I include in here? And the other problem is that none of these people have editors, and so all of everybody in this story has a blog, and every blog post is like forty thousand words.
Speaker 2: So it's just like, now, just say, what media are you able to get this? Is? You're getting this all straight from the source, right, A.
Speaker 1: Lot of it's I mean I read, I've read most of Zizz's blog entries, and I've at least done like little surveys of the blogs of everybody else involved in this. There were also a couple of very helpful compilations that like people, there's like one like a former Sometimes it's like former members of the community. Sometimes it's folks who are like rationalists that were trying to warn other rationalists about Zizians. But like people in and around the community have put together compilations where they'll like clip mixes of news stories and like conversations online come and obviously these folks like nasty work, yes, yes, and I'm deeply great, well, we'll have source links at everything in here. I note when I'm kind of like pulling something from something directly, but like, I'm very grateful to the maniacs who put together these like documents that have helped me piece together what's happening. Because really, if you're coming in as an outsider, if you weren't like embedded in this community while all is crazy shit was going on, it's a little it's kind of impossible to like get everything you need to get. You have to refer to these interior sources. It's just the only way to actually understand stuff.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, I as an out cider, I don't know what's going on.
Speaker 2: I don't know where it's going for sure. I don't know where it's going.
Speaker 1: It's going, we know where it ends, which you know what it ends. A member of Congress shows up at the library in Vermont that the US and Canada shares because a border patrol agent was murdered there and threatens to take over Canada, and that's all. Like, there's a degree to which you can kind of tie heightened tensions between the US and Canada to the murder of this border patrol agent, which itself is directly tied to the fact that Alicia Jedkowski wrote a piece of Harry Potter fan fiction.
Speaker 2: I love it all goes back to that.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, it all comes back to bad Harry Potter fan fiction. So part three we spent last episode talking about zizz Is moving to the Bay and their first interactions with the rationalist community. That big Sea Far conference they went to that was very reminiscent, had a lot of exercises reminiscent of like Sin and on ship.
Speaker 5: Right, very very a lot of talking murder, Yes, a lot of talk a murder.
Speaker 1: These people love theorizing about when it's okay to kill people. Constant factor at all of this, which.
Speaker 2: Is can't be a step in a good direction.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, you should. You should be aware of. There's like, if your community is talking about like the ethics of escalating to murder in random arguments too much, maybe be a little worried.
Speaker 2: If someone sits down next to you and says, how would you murder me? Or whatever? This right? You always got to get out of that room.
Speaker 1: Yeah you want to, You want to, You want to leave immediately.
Speaker 2: And even more if they're like, yeah, that's the right way, even worse sign and then.
Speaker 1: If they're like, yeah, would you would you perform necrophilia? In order to, in the past scare people away from attacking you, like, get out of that room, leap bad. This is not a crew you want to be a part of. Yeah, maybe just take a pickleball or pickleball. People never talk about necrophilia playing pickleball.
Speaker 2: I don't think one time. I don't think one time.
Speaker 1: No, they all talk about how they're getting knee replacements, and that's beauty of pickleball exactly. So, in spite of how obviously bad this community is, Ziz desperately wants to be in the center of the rationalist subculture, and that means being in the Bay. Unfortunately, the Bay is a nearly impossible place to survive in if you don't have shitloads of money, and one of the only ways to make it in the Bay if you're not rich is to wind up in deeply abusive and illegal rental situations. You know this, David, I'm I'm not spreading any news to you.
Speaker 2: Shout out to my landlord, mister lou.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 1: Ziz winds up in a horrible sublet with a person she describes as an abusive alcoholic. I was there. I don't know if she was the problem. In this part like, I obviously I've got one side of this story, but her claim is that it ends in physical violence. Ziz claims he was to blame, but she also describes a situation where they're like, after a big argument, bump into each other and he calls the cops on her for assault. I wouldn't put it past Ziz to be leaving some parts out of this. But also I know a bunch of people who wound up in horrible sublets with abusive alcoholics who assaulted them in the Bay Area.
Speaker 3: And then La.
Speaker 2: Chrislist is a crap shoot.
Speaker 1: Craigslist is a crap shoot. Yeah, every time I always I feel like they need to like qualify with like this is just his's account. But also this sounds like a lot of stories I know people have had.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's tough to get by there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so she calls the or he calls the cops on her, and then yeah, they do nothing, and he attacks her in her bedroom that night. So she decides to like he's like throwing a chair at her and shit, So she decides, I got to get out of this terrible fucking sublet. And unfortunately, her next best option, a very common thing in the rationalist community is to have whole houses rented out that you fill with rationalists who don't have a lot of money. It never rents by the artists yet kind of like artists or like content producer houses, it never explodes. People never have horrible times in these. This particular rationalist house is called liminal because you know, gen Z loves talking about their liminal spaces on the Internet. One resident of the house reacts very negatively when Ziz identifies herself as a non transitioning trans woman and basically asks like, when are you going to leave? So she has, you know, she says that as soon as she arrives one of the other residents's transphobes, she can't stay there very long. Again, all sounds like a very familiar Bay Area housing situation story. She bounces around some short term solutions airbnbs, moving constantly while trying to find work. She gets an interview with Google, but the hiring process there is slow. There's a lot of different stages to it, and it doesn't offer immediate relief from her financial issues. Other potential offers fall through as she conflicts with the fundamental snake oiliness of this era of silicon Valley Development, ziz blames on the fact that she couldn't feign enthusiasm for companies she didn't believe in. Quote, I was inexperienced with convincing body language, inclusive lies like this. I did not have the right false face, but very quick to think up words to say so, like I'm not good enough at lying that I'm excited about working for an app to you know, help you do your laundry better, which is like a third of the bay.
Speaker 5: Yeah, right, yeah, And once again she has like flashes of like, oh, wow, you really you really have strong morals and all the aim. Yeah, she's a strong resume, right, it wasn't she does she wants like an award as a NASA intern, Right, She's still yeah, she's she really is good at a lot of this stuff. In all of these Zizians, as silly as their their beliefs about philosophy and like cognitive science are, they're all extremely a comp in their fields.
Speaker 1: Nearly. It's a it's good evidence of the fact that like it's always a mistake to think of intelligence as like an absolute characteristic, like I am a genius software engineer, therefore I am smart. It's like no, no, no, you you're you're you're you're dumb at plenty of things, mister software engineer.
Speaker 2: I don't sell yourself. Sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So she does start to transition during this period of time. She goes on finasteride, which helps to avoid male pattern baldness, and she starts experimenting with estrogen and anti androgens. She'd wanted to avoid this for I'm sure she had a variety of reasons, but as soon as she starts taking hormones they have such a positive effect. She describes it as a hard to describe felt sense of cognitive benefits, and she decides to say stay on them. By October, she'd committed to start writing a blog about her own feelings and theories on rationalism, and her model here was Yudkowski. She names this blog Sin Seriously, and it was her attempt to convince other rationalists to adopt her belief about like veganism and such. Her first articles are like pretty bland. It's the scattered concepts and thought experients, very basic stuff like can God create a rock so big God couldn't move it? And then like throwing a rationalist spin on that. So it's you know a lot of this is like, oh, maybe in an area in which college didn't cost two hundred grand, you could have just gotten a philosophy degree, and right, that would have made you happy. Like, right, you just wanted to spend a couple of years talking through silly ideas based on dead Greek guys.
Speaker 2: Well you know the Bay is the place to do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, unfortunately, so she starts to really show an interest early on though, and this is where things get unsettling and enforcement mechanisms, which are methods by which individuals can like blackmail themselves into accomplishing difficult tasks for personal betterment. She writes about an app called b Minder, which lets you set goals and punish yourself with a financial bit penalty if you don't make regular progress. And she's really obsessed with just the concept of using enforcement mechanisms to make people better, writing often you have to break things to make them better. So not a great path going down? Here is she following this herself like she's working on She's trying to use some of these tactics on herself to make herself to deal with like what she sees as her flaws that're stopping her from you know, saving the cosmos. Great stuff, a lot I've brought pressure to put on yourself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this poor woman has been under the highest stakes this whole time.
Speaker 1: Well, and that's again that that comes. That's not Zizz, that's the entire rationalist subculture. The stakes are immediately, we have to save the world from the evil AI that will create hell to punish everybody who doesn't build it, and that actually will talk about this later. That breaks a ton of people in this She is not the only one kind of fracturing her psyche in this community. So right around this time, she's bouncing around short term rentals and like desperately trying to get work. She meets a person named Jasper Wynn, who at that point identified as a trans woman. Now those by Gwynn Danielson and uses by them pronouns. That's what I'm gonna refer to them, but for clarity's sake, I'm gonna call them gwyn or Danielson, even though they went by a different name at this time, because that's what they're called now. Gwinn was a fan of Zizz's blog and had some complex rationalist theories of her own. They came to believe that each person had multiple personalities stored inside their brain, a sort of like mutation of the left brain right brain hypothesis, and each of these sides of your brain was like a whole, like intact person, right, Like great, yeah, no, cool, No, you guys are gonna be fucking with your head's real heart. Great.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: So Ziz falls in love with Gwynn's ideas and she starts bringing them up in rationalist events, trying to brute force them into going mainstream among the community. But people are like, this is a little weird even for us, and she does not succeed in this, and as a result, she and Danielson and a couple of other friends start like talking and theorizing together separately from the bulk of the community. So now again you've had this. They're starting to calve off from the broader subculture, and they're starting to like really like dig ruts for themselves in a specific direction that's leading away from the rest of the rationalists.
Speaker 2: Literally, all that cold stuff.
Speaker 1: Huh, all that colt stuff, all that cold stuff. Now, Gwynn and Ziz largely like bonded over their struggle paying Bay Area rints, and together they stumbled upon a solution beloved by generations of punks and artists in northern California taking to the sea specifically. It's great, it's great. I mean, I've known like three separate people who lived on boats in the Oakland Harbor because it was like, this is the only way I can't afford to live in the bay.
Speaker 5: My little brother went to school right right outside of San Francisco, and his principal lived on a boat right just like a mile away from the school, and everybody loved it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, everybody loved it. I mean, I gotta say, everyone I know who lived on a boat lived on a shitty boat. But I'm also not convinced there are boats that any, boats that stay nice for very long.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it feels like you would be dank. I guess is the word.
Speaker 1: Dank is a good description of boat life, I think.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So Gwinn's boat was anchored off the Encenal Basin, and Ziz found this a pretty sweet solution. She goes over to stay over one night and while they're like hanging out, staying up, probably taking drugs, they don't like usually write about it, but from like other community conversations, I think we have to assume an awful lot of the time when these people are staying up all night and talking, there's a lot of like ketamine and stuff being used to that isn't written into the narrative.
Speaker 2: That also goes along with it, also.
Speaker 1: Goes along with the Bay Area pills and powders are big yeah quote. They talked about how when they were a child, their friend who was a cat had died and they had to use their own retroactive paraphrasing sworn an oath of vengeance against death. Fucking. These are just people doing great, very healthy from the opposite of what you want a kid to learn when their pet dies. Is like, yeah, you know, death is inevitable. It happens to everything. You know, it'll happen to you one day, and it's sad, but just something we have to accept. No, no, no wars death.
Speaker 2: No. They were like, no, no, no, I can fix this.
Speaker 1: Okay, I as a parent have failed in this situation. This was an unsuccessful step in my child's development. Maybe no more pets for a while, Maybe no more pets. Gwynn also spent way too much time online, which is how they wound up reading hundreds of theoretical articles about how AGI artificial general intelligence would destroy the world. And again, AGI is like a mainstream term now because a fucking chat GPT came out a couple of years ago and everyone started talking about it at this point two sixteen seventeen. It's only like real people who are really into the industry in a nerdy way who are using that frame, Like regular people on the street don't know what you fucking mean when you're talking about this stuff, but this is a term that is in use among them. And like Ziz Gwyn moved to the Bay Area to get involved in fixing the problem. They were another kin, are you familiar with this online community? Which one other kin?
Speaker 2: Other kin? No, I have no, I've never heard of that.
Speaker 1: It's like a it's like the Mormonism of furreedom almost like.
Speaker 2: That that's that's the same you say.
Speaker 1: I don't mean like it's harmless, right, Like these are people who there's a mix of beliefs. Some of them like literally believe they're like fantasy creatures. Some of them just like yeah.
Speaker 3: To be like yeah, like half identify as like it a non human creature.
Speaker 2: Right, Oh, Like their furry persona is they're true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, kind of. That's close enough for government work. And in Gwin's case, it's even different where I don't think they believe they are literally a dragon, but they believe that when there's a singularity and the robot god creates heaven, they'll be given the body of a dragon because the robot god will be able to do that. It's a good singularity at least. That's why this is all so important to them, making sure it's like a nice AI so they'll be able to get their animal friends back and get their dragon body. Til is old time tale, as old as time again. A lot of this could be avoided by just like processing death and uh, stuff like that a little better. But we don't do that very well in our society anyway. We've got a lot of people who are committed to denying that. So I'm not surprised like this happens at like the corners right Like this is this is just a little downstream from that Brian Johnson guy tracking his erections at night and trying to get the penis of a nineteen year old.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like.
Speaker 1: A massive sanity gap between these two things.
Speaker 2: It's I think I think it's I think we're drinking from the same well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, so this is a result or so, Zizz commits herself to turning Gwynn to the dark side, which is a term she started to use. Obviously, it's a Star Wars term and it comes out as a result of her obsession with It's called acrasia. Akrasia is an actual Greek term for a lack of will power that leads someone to act in ways that take them further from their goals in life. It's an actual, like I think akrasia often it was like an early term for like what we call adhd right, like people who have difficulty, like focusing on tasks that they need to complete. One of the promises of rationalism was to arm a person with tools to escape this state of being and act more powerfully and effectively in the world. Ziz adds to this some ideas crib from Star Wars. She decides that the quote unquote way of the Jedi, which is like accepting moral restrictions you know about like not murdering people and the like, is a prison for someone who's like truly great and has the opportunity to accomplish important goals. Right if you're that kind of person. You can't afford to be limited by moral beliefs. So in order to achieve the kind of vegan singularity that she thinks is critical to save the cosmos, she and her fellow rationalists need to free themselves and from the restrictions of the Jedi and become vegan scyth. That's more or less where things are going here. So here I should note that while Gwynnin's's are spinning out on their own, everything that you're seeing from them, these feelings of grandiosity and cosmic significance, but also paranoid obsession are the norm in rationalists in effective altruist circles. There's a great article in Bloomberg News by Ellen Hewitt. It discusses how many in the EA set would suffer paralyzing panic attacks over things like spending money on an ice dinner or buying ice cream, obsessing over how many people they'd killed by not better optimizing their expenses, and quote in extreme pockets of the rationality community, AI researchers believe their apocalypse related stress was contributing to psychotic breaks. Marie employee, and that's one of these organizations created by the people around Yakowski. Jessica Taylor had a job that sometimes involved imagining extreme AI torture scenarios. As she described it in a post on Less Wrong, the worst possible suffering in AI might be able to people at work, she says, she in a small team of researchers believed we might make God, but we might make mess up and destroy everything. In twenty seventeen, she was hospitalized for three weeks with delusions that she was intrinsically evil and had destroyed significant parts of the world with my demonic powers, she wrote in her post. Although she acknowledged taking psychedelics for therapeutic reasons, she also attributed the delusions to her job's blurring of nightmare scenarios. In real life, in an ordinary patient, having fantasies about being the devil is considered megalomania, She wrote here. The idea naturally followed from my day to day social environment and was central to my psychotic breakdown. Oh man, just taking ketamine and convincing yourself you're the devil, normal rationalist stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, hey, we've all been there, right.
Speaker 1: We've been there now.
Speaker 5: In fact, no, this is the least relatable group of people i've ever heard of.
Speaker 1: No, no, exactly, because there it's this like grandiosity, it's this absolutely need to whatever else is going on, even if you're like the bad guy, feel like what you're doing is like of central cosmic significance. It's this fundamental fear that all is integral to all of these tech guys. It's at the core of Elon Musk too, that like, one of these days you're not going to exist and very few of the things that you valued in your life are going to exist, and there's still going to be a world because that's life.
Speaker 5: That's just yeah, that It's so crazy how it boils down to just like yeah, man, well I don't know what you thought was going to happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, bro, sorry, Yeah, that's just how that's just how it goes. You know, We've got like ten thousand years of like philosophy and like like thinking and writing on the subject of dealing with this, But you didn't take any humanities and your STEM classes. So no, you know that you're just trying to bootstrap it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you just watched Star Wars again and decided you got to figure it out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you watch Star Wars one hundred and thirty seven times and figured that was going to your a place reading a little bit of fucking Plato or something. Maybe it didn't work. Also, again, the ketaminees not helping.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, God to be a fly on that wall.
Speaker 1: Oh god. Yeah, the rationalist therapists are raking it in, oh.
Speaker 2: Man, honestly well deserved.
Speaker 1: But yeah, some talk about info hazards.
Speaker 2: Jesus.
Speaker 1: So I have to emphasize here again that I want to keep going back to the broader rationalist community because I felt like a risk of this is that I would just be talking about how crazy this one lady and her friends were, and it's like, no, no, no, Everything they're doing, even the stuff that is a split off and different in like more extreme than mainstream rationalism, is directly related to shit going on in the mainstream rationalist community, which is deeply tied into big tech, which is deeply tied into like the Peter Teal circle. A lot of these folks are close to in and around the government right now, right So like that is it's Ziz is not nearly as much of an outlier as a lot of rationalists want people to think. Right, Yeah, anyway, at rationalists meetups, Ziz began to pushing this whole vegan syth thing hard and again meets with little success, but she and Gwyn gradually start to expand the circle of people around them. Meanwhile, in her professional life, that Google interview process moves forward. Ziz says that she past every stage of the process, but that it keep getting dragged out, forcing her to ask her parents for more help. In November, around the time her blog started to get a following, she says Google said she'd passed the committee and would be hired once she got picked for a team. Now I don't know what happens after this, she says. Google asks for proof of address, which she doesn't have. She's just turned twenty six, and she's not on her parents' health insurance either. She's been pages describing what is a very familiar nightmare scenario to me of like trying to get proof of address so you can get a job and life continue getting like, you know, get on Cali med and stuff. And I do think it's probably worth acknowledging that, Like, as her brain is starting to break and she's she's getting further and further into all these delusional ideas, She's also struggling with being off of her parents' health insurance and like trying to find stable housing in the bay and like that influences the situation.
Speaker 2: And still in the process of transitioning, right.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, exactly, And still in the process of transitioning. Yes, a heavy workload, you're doing too much to your brain, right, yes, so, And then she makes the worst possible decision, which is to live with her friend Gwynn in her tiny sail in their tiny sailboat, which is now anchored by the Berkeley Marina. Again, this is not like a houseboat. This is like a sailboat with one small room.
Speaker 2: Right, it's got a court like yeah, there's like a bed table in.
Speaker 1: A sink, writing, like a little bathroom probably maybe a kitchenette. But it's not like livable for two people.
Speaker 3: Somebody who's like ever lived into small space with your roommate knows just like, no matter where you're at, it's horrible, bad idea.
Speaker 1: And imagine if that's shitty tiny apart meant that you remember from your past was a boat just disastrous and this is not a good situation. This would later write, I couldn't use my computer as well. I couldn't set up my three monitors, there was no room, couldn't have a programming flow state. For nine hours, I had trouble sleeping. The slightest noise in my mind kept alerting me to the possibility that someone like my roommate from several months ago, was going to attack me in my sleep. So this is not a healthy situation. And both Gwynnon's's have endured some specific traumas, and both are also prone to flights of grandiosity and delusion. And now they are trapped all day, every day together in a single room where their various neuroses are clashing with each other and their only relief is talking for hours about how to save the world.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, this is a it's a real villain story.
Speaker 2: You couldn't get any worse than this.
Speaker 1: It couldn't. And it's like, at this point, I don't think either of them is like intentionally doing anything bad. You've just you've kind of created a cult where like you're trading off on being the cult leader and cult member for each other, Like you've isolated each other away from the world, and you're spending time brainwashing each other together in your little boats. Yeah, how often do you think they were leaving that boat not nearly long enough? And Gwynn is on what Ziz describes as a cocktail of stimulants. Quote mapped out the cognitive effects of each hour they were on them. They get very angry if Ziz interrupts their thoughts at the wrong time. And also like Ziz isn't really sleeping, so they're just talking for hours and getting on each other's nerves at the same time. But also like building these increasingly elaborate fantasies about how they're going to save the cosmos and it's you know, it's not great. Through these conversations they do develop Gwinn's multiple personalities theory, mixing in some of Zizz's own beliefs about good and evil. And I want to quote another passage from that Wired article that's summarizes what they come to believe about this. A person's core consisted of two hemispheres, each one intrinsically good or non good. In extremely rare cases, they could be double good, a condition that so happened with Lesoda identified in herself and this is consistently going to identify herself as intrinsically good, so she's both sides of her personality are only good. But most people are at best single good, which means part of them is non good or basically evil, and they're at war with this other half of their brain. That's a whole person that's evil, which is why the other people can't be trusted to make decisions. You know, like, increasingly, this's attitude is going to be like, only intrinsically good people can be trusted to make good decisions, only the double goods, only the double goods. That's such like a you know, you're making your own life or well speech. This this is a bad sign. Yeah, so, Zizz is google ambitions fall apart at this time. They don't really give us a good explanation as to why. I kind of think they started bombarding their contact with Google with like requests about why the process wasn't going faster, and maybe Google was like, ah, maybe we don't need this person. Ziz concludes failing at Google was good because she's gotten she'd gotten ten thousand dollars from unemployment at this point. Quote this means I had some time. If they hired me soon, it would deprive me of at least several months of freedom, and which of course she is continuing to work out her theories with Gwynn on the sailboat. Also, if that's freedom, it's really not freedom.
Speaker 2: I maybe maybe work. I heard the Google campus has a lot of things to do, and.
Speaker 1: It's the kind of the what if. I think maybe at this point she still could have pulled out of this tailspin if she'd gotten a job and worked around other people and socialized not on the sailboat, but also a real consistent thing with Zizz is at this point she has no willingness to do the kind of compromise. And I'm not just talking about the moral compromise, but like, even going to work a job for a company, you're going to spend a large part of your day doing a thing that like you wouldn't be doing otherwise, right, because that's what a job generally, that's just work. And Ziz feels like she can't handle the idea of doing anything but reading fan fiction and theorizing about how to give herself superpowers. Right, that's the most important thing in the world because the stakes are so high, So she like like ethically can't square herself with doing anything she needs to succeed in this industry. Where she has the skill to succeed. And this is this is another trait she's got in common with the rest of the rationalist EA subculture that that Bloomberg article interviewed a guy named quaou Chu Yuan, a former rationalist and PhD candidate who dropped out of his PhD program in order to work in AI risk. He stopped saving for retirement and cut off his friends so he could donate all of his money to you know, EA causes and because his friends were distracting him from saving the world. And these are all this all cult stuff, right. Cults want you to cut off from your friends, they want you to give them all your money. He's doing but he's doing it like independently, Like there's not like a single leader. He's not like living on a compound with them. It's just once you kind of take these beliefs seriously, the things that you that you will do to yourself are the things people in cults have done to them.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: In an interview with Business Insider, Yan said, you can really manipulate people, and you're doing all kinds of crazy stuff. If you can convince them, this is how you can prevent the end of the world. Once you get into that frame, it really distorts your ability to care about anything else.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: That's yeah, that's kind of a thing. It's harder to talk about this than like could people talk about Ziz as like, oh, it's a cult leader and she had her you know, Vegan trans Ai death cult or something, and you know, I feel like that's not close enough to the truth to get what's like to get how this happened, right, because what happens with Ziz is very cultish. But Ziz is one of a number of different people who have cabbed off of the rationalism community and had disastrous impacts. But it happens constantly with these people because like it's such.
Speaker 2: An engine for it.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's an engine for making cults.
Speaker 2: It's it's this is a cult factory for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're creating a cult factory.
Speaker 5: Oh no, to give you the base ideas and then you can just kind of franchise it how you'd like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And a lot of prominent rationalists who news is at the time have since gone out of their way to describe her as like, you know, someone on the fringes. Anna Salomon of Seafar described her as a young person who was hanging around and who I suspect wanted to be important. And Anna claim, is there anyone here who doesn't want that? Within this No, that's all of them, right, that's the whole community. And like Anna was emailing directly gave that gave Ziz, like some of the advice that Ziz considered like key to her moving to the Bay Area and stuff. Right like these these these people, like the rationalists are really really want you to think that this was just like some fringe person. But she's very much tied in to all of this stuff, right, So for her part, Ziz doesn't deny that failing to convince other rationalists was part of why she pulled away from mainstream rationalism. But she's also going to claim that a big reason for her break is sexual abuse among people leading in the rationalist community. And there's a specific case that she'll cite later that doesn't happen to until twenty eighteen, But this is a problem people were discussing in twenty seventeen when she's living on that boat. The representative story is the case of Sonia Joseph, who was the basis of that Bloomberg news piece. I've quoted from a couple of times, and it's a bummer of a story. Sonya was fourteen when she first read Ydkowski's Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality, which is set her on the path that led her to moving to the Bay Area in order to get involved in the rationalist EA set. And she's focused on the field of AI risk. And I'm going to read it a quote.
Speaker 3: This week has been so long that I completely erased the Harry Potter part of this story from my brain.
Speaker 1: It's never drops too far below the surface. I cannot overemphasize how important this Harry Potter fan fiction is to all these murders. I want primary texts are getting abused. Yes, yes, it's a primary text of the movement. Wow, I'm going to read a quote from that Bloomberg article. Sonia was encouraged when she was twenty two to have dinner with a fortyish startup founder in the rationalist sphere because he had a close connection to Peter Teal. At dinner, the man Bragg that Yudkowski had moderate modeled a core Harry Potter like fit professor in that fanfic on him, Joseph says that He also argued that it was normal for a twelve year old girl to have sexual relationships with adult men, and that such relationships were a noble way of transferring knowledge to a younger generation. Then, she says he followed her home and insisted on staying over. She says he slept on the floor of her living room and that she felt unsafe until he left in the morning. Jesus, so great. You know, bragging about your Harry Potter, how you helped inspire the Harry Potter fan, and then explaining how twelve year old girls should have sex with adult men. Good stuff, got rational.
Speaker 5: I gotta say, that's a crazy brag to get chicks. Yeah, you know it was.
Speaker 2: You know, one of those characters. I'm the snake.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm the snipe of this. By the way, what do you think about twelve year olds? Awesome? I have a close connection to Peter Teal.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Cool, oh man. As that Bloomberg article makes clear, this is not an isolated issue within rationalism. Quote, sexual harassment and abuse are distressing, are distressingly common. According to interviews with eight women at all levels of the community, many young ambitious women described a similar trajectory that were initially drawn in by the ideas, then became immersed in the social scene. Often that meant to attending parties at EA or rationalist group houses, or getting added to jargon filled Facebook messenger chat groups with hundreds of like minded people. The eight women say casual misogyny threaded through the scene on the low end brick. The rationalist adjacent writer says a prominent rationalist once told her condescendingly that she was a five year old and a hot twenty year old's body. Relationships with much older men were common, as was polyamory. Now there was inherently harmful, but several women say those norms became tools to help influential older men get more partners. And this is also this isn't just rationalism, that is the California ideology. That is the Bay Area tech set, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very techy.
Speaker 1: Yes a man, and it's all super fucking gross the whole year a five year old and a hot twenty year old's body thing. What the fuck? Man? How do you say that? Not hurl yourself off the San Francisco Bay Bridge?
Speaker 2: Vile?
Speaker 1: That's fucked up, dude, that's bad. Speaking of bad to the bone are sponsors. Ah, we're back. So this is important to understand in a series about this very strange person and the strange beliefs that she developed that influenced several murders. Ziz had many of the traits of a cult leader, but again, she's also a victim first of the cult dynamics inherent to rationalism. And what she's doing next is she breaks away with a small loyal group of friends, and she does create a physical situation that much more resembles the kind of cults we're used to dealing with, particularly scientology, because next she's going to take Oh wow, me and Gwnn living alone on this boat. We kind of hate each other and neither of us is sleeping, and our emotional health is terrible. But we've made so many much progress on our ideas. Maybe we should Maybe we should make this a bigger thing, right, Maybe we should get a bunch of rationalists all living together on boats.
Speaker 2: She needs a work life balance.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, no, what she thinks she needs is she calls it the Rationalist fleet, which is she wants to get a bunch of community members to buy several boats and live anchored in the bay to avoid high bay area rent so they can spend all their time talking and plotting out ideas for saving the cosmos. Oh man, so great, and.
Speaker 5: I get it right. It's expensive here. I want to get some boats with my friends. It does sound cool.
Speaker 1: We won't go insane together, obviously, you know. She buys a twenty four foot boat for six hundred dollars off of Craigslist. And I don't know much about boats, but I know you're not getting a good one for just six hundred dollars.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: No, like a living boat, like a full boat, like.
Speaker 2: A foot boat.
Speaker 1: Yes, a full boat.
Speaker 2: Oh man, that had to be a piece of shit, to be a shitty, shitty, colossal piece of shit. Yeah.
Speaker 1: She names it the Black Signet, and she starts trying to convince some of her idea a lot of these people who have gathered around her to get in on the project. Eventually, she, Danielson, and a third person puts together the money to buy a boat that's going to be like the center of their fleet, a seventy year old Navy tug boat named the Caleb, which was anchored in Alaska.
Speaker 2: This is like a.
Speaker 1: Ninety four foot boat. It's a sizeable boat, and it is also very old and in terrible shape. That's the that's the crown jewel of the food, right right, that's our flagship. Man, Danielson sale, They buy this thing with this third guy, Dan Powell, who's at least a navy veteran, so like, you know, okay, that boot calls boat adjacent, but he's I get the feeling. Nobody says this, but David Powell says that he put tens of thousands of dollars into buying the Caleb. And I just know from what Danielson and Ziz wrote about their finances, neither of them had nearly that much money. So I think, by far he invests the most in this project. And I don't want to insult the guy, but he says he did it because he quote considered buying the boat to be a good investment, which boats aren't. Boats are never an investment comically, so like known to nothing depreciates like fucking raw salmon depreciates slower than a boat. I think his attitude is I'm going to become like the slumlord of a bunch of or at least landlord to a bunch of boat rationalists. But I think correct, I don't know how you expect this to pay off seventy year old tug boat for a bunch of like poor rationalists, punk kids to live in. Who was that ever supposed to work? What's the P and L statement you put together here?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 2: What was the what was the timeline on him getting his money back? He thought?
Speaker 1: Oh god, I have no idea. He absolutely takes a bath on this ship, right, yeah, he claims, And I belie leave him that Ziz lied to him about the whole scenario to get his money. I do think this was essentially a con from her, he says. Quote Ziz led me to believe that she had established contacts in the bay and that it would be easy for us to at least get a slip, if not one that was approved for overnight use. And as it turns out, when we were coming through the inside passage from Alaska, it was revealed that we did not have a place to arrive.
Speaker 2: Wait, oh, I didn't realize he sailed it down from Alaska.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they all sail it together, them and a couple other rationalists that they pick up. They make a post on the internet being like, hey, any rationalists want to sail a boat? Down from Alaska, talk about our ideas while we live on a boat.
Speaker 5: Oh man, so these people need space, yes, just get a warehouse.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, well get the ghost ship. Fire had happened by that point, so I don't think warehouse space was easy to get. Yeah, but this, I think this would have. I think you're right. In an earlier era, they have just wound up living in like a warehouse and maybe all died in the horrible fire because that there were issues with that kind of life too, But they would have been an option besides the boat thing. Anyway, the Caleb is not in good shape.
Speaker 2: Again.
Speaker 1: This boat is seventy plus years old. It is only livable by punk standards, and while it was large enough it is a ninety four foot boat you can keep some people on there, it's also way too big to anchor in most municipal marinas, especially since the boat has three thousand gallons of incredibly toxic diesel fuel and it's not really seaworthy, which means there's this constant risk of poisoning the water as it sits in that the authorities are just going to be consistently like, guys, you can't have this here, guys, you simply can't have this here, so they just.
Speaker 2: Got to operate out and inter national waters like a cruise ship.
Speaker 1: No, they're just kind of illegally anchoring places and hoping that it's fine and periodically getting boarded over it. Another crew member on the right down from Alaska who's just kind of there. They're just there, you know, for the adventure. So they they leave and don't come back after they get to the bay. But this person expressed an opinion that Ziz consistently came off as creepy but not scary. At one point, he says that she confronted him and told him he was transgender, and when he's like, no, I'm really not, she told him he was.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: She does this a lot, tells people I know that you're this, this is and it works like that's how a number of her followers get to her. But she also it doesn't work a lot of time. A lot of people are like, no, I'm not you know whatever it is you're saying. She does this to Gwynn too, so I don't doubt his story. Like she just kind of decides things about people and then tries to brute force them into accepting that about herself, and when there are people who are like both desperate for like approval and affection and also who are housing insecure and need the boat or wherever to live with her, those people feel a lot a number of them feel like a significant pull to just kind of accept whatever Ziz is saying about them.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, when you're desperate in that way, you kind of definitely find yourself to have a roof over your head, like.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, And it's a very normal cult thing, right, Like this is an aspect of all of that kind of behavior. Now, by this point, a few other people have come to live in the Rationalist fleet. One of them is Imma Borhanian, a former Google engineer, and Alex Leatham, a budding mathematician. The flotilla became a sort of marooned aquatic salon. Wired quotes Zizz as emailing to a friend at the time, We've been somewhat isolated from the rationalist community for a while, and in the course developed a significant chunk of unique art of rationality and theories of psychology aimed at solving our problems. Excited for this psychology you built on the boat, yeah, Wired continues as Lesoda articulated their goals had moved beyond real estate into a more grandiose realm. We are built trying to build a cabal, she wrote. The aim was to find abnormally intrinsically good people and turn them all into Gervais sociopaths, creating a fundamentally type of group than I have heard of existing before sociopathy was at a road would allow the group members to operate unpooned by the external world.
Speaker 2: Yeah that is because you had said that before, right, Yeah, they had been that's sort of what they're looking to be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're obsessed with this idea of which is initially like kind of a joke about the office, but they're like, no, no, no, it actually is really good to have this sociopath at the top who like moves the and manipulates these like lesser like fools and whatnot and puts them into positions below them. Like that's how we need what we need to be in order to gain control of the levels of power. We have to make ourselves into Ricky Gervais sociopaths. Yeah, great, what a good ideology.
Speaker 2: I love that they still love pop culture though you know.
Speaker 1: They're obsessed with it. And again this is you can't talk about this kind of shit if you're if you're regularly having conversations with people outside of your bubble, like.
Speaker 2: Exactly it's the thing. Yeah, if you have somewhere to go, yeah, if you have anywhere to go this campaign.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes. If you've got a friend who's like a nurse or a contract if drinks with once a week and you just talk about your ideas once, they're gonna be like, hey, this is bad.
Speaker 2: You need to stop.
Speaker 1: You're going out of a bad road. Do you need to stay with me? Are you okay?
Speaker 2: This is clearly a cousin.
Speaker 1: Yes, someone.
Speaker 2: This would be so upsetting for someone to just casually talk about it like a paint and sip or like Ricky.
Speaker 1: Servas somebody there. Breaks with mainstream rationalism had gone terminal. GW. Gwynn criticized the rest of the central rationalist community for quote not taking heroic responsibility for the outcome of this world. In addition to the definitely accurate claims of sexual abuse within rationalism, they alledged organizations like Sea Far we're actively transphobic. I don't know how true that is. Some of the articles I've read. There's a lot of trans rationalists will be like, no, there's a very high population of trans people within the rationalist community. So people just agree about this. It's not my place to come to a conclusion. But this is one of the things that Zizz says about the central rationalist community. Ziz had concluded that transgender people were the best people to build a cabal around because they quote from Zizz's blog, had unusually high life force. Ziz believed that the mental powers locked within the small community of simpatico rationalists they'd gathered together were enough to alter the fate of the cosmos if everyone could be jail broken into sociopaths.
Speaker 2: And yeah, these are all double goods as well.
Speaker 1: Well, no, she's the only double good. Actually, she becomes increasingly convinced that they're all just single good right, And this is like her beliefs about heroism from the last episode. If you've got the community and the hero, the community's job is to support the hero, right, like blind support, right, blind support, no matter what. And a lot of the languages is using here in addition to being you know, rationalist language. This is all like scientology mixed with gaming and fantasy media. She talks about the need to install new mental tech on she and her friends. They which is like tech is like a scientology term, right, Like that's that's like a big thing that they say. She and her circle start dressing differently. Ziz starts wearing like all black robes and stuff to make her look like a syth or some sort of wizard. Her community adopts the name vegan anarco transhumanism and starts unironically referring to themselves as vegan scyth.
Speaker 2: In the boat community when they move in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just like, what is going I just wanted to I'm just an alcoholic. What's happening? I just wanted to be like Quint from John's Oh no, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm just here because my wife.
Speaker 1: Left, right. I think might a different way than a grape white attack. Now looking bad?
Speaker 2: Yike? Oh man.
Speaker 1: So around this time, Gwynn claims she came up with a tactic for successfully separating and harnessing the power of different hemispheres of someone's brain. The tactic was uni himus spheric sleep, and this is a process by which only one half of your brain sleeps at a time. In a critical write up, publishes a warning before the killings that are to come. A rationalist named Apala Mojave writes, normally it is not possible for human beings to sleep with only one hemisphere. However, a weak form of UHS can be achieved by stimulating one half of the body and resting the other like hypnosis are fasting. This is a vulnerable psychological state for a person entering UHS requires the sleeper to be exhausted. It also has disorienting effects, so they are not quite themselves. And I disagree with them that, like, there's no, they're not just actually sleeping with only one hemisphere. And in fact, I think they may have taken this idea from Warhammer forty thousand because.
Speaker 5: Its do because yeah, what are you talking about?
Speaker 1: But yeah, that's not a thing. Like, yes, if you don't let yourself sleep for long periods of time and like kind of let yourself zone into a meditative state, you'll get a trippy effect. You will become altered. You're altering your state, and you cant This is why colts deprive people of sleep. You can fuck with people's heads a lot when they're in that space, but this isn't what's happening.
Speaker 5: I like to think of them on the boat, just only using one half of their body.
Speaker 1: Line right, like one eye open, watching the office.
Speaker 2: Furiously taking notes.
Speaker 1: So this is how that write up describes the process of uni hemispheric sleep. One you need to be tired. Two you need to be laying down or sitting up. It is important that you stay in a comfortable position that won't require it to you to move very much. In either case, you want to close one eye and keep the other open. Distract the open eye with some kind of engagement. Eventually you should feel yourself begin to fall asleep on one side. That side will also become numb. The degree of numbness is a good way to track how deep into sleep the side is. Once into UHS, it is supposed to be possible to infer which aspects of your personality are associated with which side of the brain. And the goal of hemispheric sleep is to jail break the mind into psychopathy fully right, And that's how Ziz describes it is that's the goal. That's the goal, that's their goal. Got to make ourselves into psychopaths so we can save the world. But it also gets used. You could use it to like I have this thing. I don't like that I react this way in this situation. So get me into this sleep pattern and you like talk me through and we'll figure out why I'm doing it, and we'll They describe it as using tech to upgrade their mental capabilities, right, so they're just kind of brainwashing each other. They're like fucking around with with some pretty potentially dangerous stuff. And again, drugs are definitely involved in a lot of aspects of this, which which is not usually written up, but you could you just have to infer given that there's some disagreement or there's some disagreement around all this. But it seems accurate to say that Gwynn is the one who came up with the hemispheric sleep idea, but a lot of the language around how tactic it was used and what it was supposed to do came from Ziz. And again, the process is just sleep deprivation. Right. This is cult stuff. It's part of how cults brainwash people. But it also wouldn't have seemed inherently suspicious to rationalists because part of that subculture. Being part of that subculture and going to those events had already normalized a slightly less radical version of this behavior, as this piece in Bloomberg explains, at house parties, rationalists spent time debugging each other, engaging in a confrontational style of interrogation that would supposedly yield more rational thoughts. Sometimes, to probe further, they experimented with psychedelics and tried jail breaking their minds to crack open their consciousness and make them more influential or agentic. Several people in Taylor and this is one of the sources sphere, had similar psychotic episodes. One died by suicide in twenty eighteen and another in twenty twenty one. So in the mainstream rationalist subculture, they are also trying to like consciously hack their brains using a mix of like drugs and meditation and social abuse, and people kill themselves as a result of like the outcomes of this. This is already a problem in the mainstream subculture.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let alone this extremist offshoot right yep.
Speaker 1: In her own writings at the time, Ziz describes hideous fights with Gwinn in which gwyn What tries to mentally dominate in mind control Ziz, they've both become believers and new theories is has that's basically like she uses the term mana, which she is. She describes as like your ability to persuade people, which is, if you can convince someone of something, it's evidence that you have an inherent level of like magical power. And someone with naturally high manna like Ziz can literally mind control people with low manna. That's what she believes she's doing whenever she tries to talk someone into something about themselves, is she's mind controlling them. And she and Gwinn have mind control battles. At one point they start having like one of these arguments where basically Gwinn threatens to mind control Ziz and Ziz threatens Gwin back, and this starts of verbal escalation. And the way Ziz describes this escalation, which is, again these are two sleep deprived, traumatized people fucking with each other's heads on a boat. But the way that Ziz describes the escalation cycle is going to be important because this has a lot to do with the logic of the murders that are to come. I said that if they were going to defend a right to be attacking me on some level and treat fighting back as a new aggression and cause to escalate. I would not at any point back down. And if our conflicting definitions of the ground state were no further retaliation was necessary. Meant that we were consigned to a runaway positive feedback loop of revenge. So be it. And if that was true, we might as well try to kill each other right then and there, in the darkness of the Caleb's Bridge at night, where we were both sitting lying under things in a cramped space, I became intensely worried they could stand up faster. Consider the idea from World War One mobilization is tantamount to a declaration of war. I stood up, still silent, waiting see see first off, and there's other people there is Well, it's not just yes, And just like the logic of well, obviously if you attack me, then I'm going to counterattack you, and then you're going to counterattack me, which means eventually we'll kill each other. So we should just kill each other now, like when you are taking your advice on how to handle social conflict from the warring European powers that got into World War One.
Speaker 4: Maybe not a good like positive example, it's just so like even in understanding how they got there, it still is such a stress.
Speaker 2: Like, even having all this.
Speaker 1: Back, it's still like, yeah, really taking some leaps, It's it's yeah, I mean just having a fight with your friend and then opening your locket which has like Kaiser Vilhelm and the tzar in it and going what would you guys do here?
Speaker 2: Yeah, ancestors guide me.
Speaker 1: And again, but you know, part of what's going on here is this timeless decision theory bullshit, right. Ziz believes that she makes it clear at this point when they start having a conflict that the stakes will immediately escalate to life or death. Gwinn won't risk fucking with her, right, but by doing this, she also immediately creates a situation where she feels unsafe. However, in that conflict, gwyn yields, and Ziz concludes that the technique works right, and so yes, yes, what she thinks is her man is strong and this is a good idea for handling all conflicts. Right. So I'm going to increasingly teach all these people who are listening to me that this is the escalation loop that you handle every conflict with, right. Great stuff. One of the young people who got drawn as is at this time was Maya Passek, who blogged under the name Squirrel in Hell. She wrote about mainstream rationalist stuff, citing Yakowski and Elon Musk, but in her blog there's like a pattern of depressive thought. In one twenty sixteen post, she mused about whether or not experiencing joy and awe might be bad because it biases your perception. So this is this is a young person who I think is probably is dealing with a lot of depressive yesses and the classic stinking thinking, right, and maybe the community is not super helpful to her. She was working to create a rationalist community in the Canary Islands. She's kind of trying to do the same thing Ziz did, But like in an island where it's cheaper to live, is this something.
Speaker 2: That can exist a lot of places like.
Speaker 1: Share Yeah, I mean yeah, if you've got cheap rent, you can get a bunch of like weirdos who work online to move into a house with you. Right, Yeah, Like that's that's always possible. She found Zizz's blog and she starts commenting on it. She's particularly drawn to Zizz's theories on manna and Zin's theory in Gwynn's theory about hemispheric personalities and one of her most direct cult leader moments. Ziz reaches out directly to this to Maya as she's like posting on her blog and emails her saying, I see you like some of my blog posts. Truly a sinister opening. Yeah, my true companion, Gwyn and I are taking us somewhat different than Maria. That's the organization, one of the rationals organization approaches, they call each other, that's how they get for their true companions, true opinions. At this point, or taking a somewhat a different approach than the Myria approach to saving the world without much specific test technical disagreements. We are running on somewhat pointed to by the approach. As long as you expect the world to burn, then change course. Right, So basically we still expect the world to burn, so we can't keep doing what the other rationalists are doing. And she lays out to this, this girl she meets through a blog post her plan to find abnormally intrinsically good people and jail break them into Gervais's sociopaths. She invites Maya to come out and it's I don't think this happened, but they do start separately journeying into unbucketing, and Maya gets really into this uni hemispheric sleep thing, and Ziz is kind of like coaching her through the process. She tells Maya that one of her hemispheres is female, because Maya's a transor, and Ziz tells her one of your brain hemispheres, each of which is a separate person, is female, but the other is male and quote mostly dead, and your suicidal impulses are caused by both the pain of being trans and also the fact that there's this dead man living in your head that's like taking up half of your brain's space, and so you really need to debucket in order to have a chance of surviving, right, Okay, So.
Speaker 2: She needs to be jail broken to be free.
Speaker 1: To be free, and Maya will basically replace her sleep entirely with this uni hemispheric sleep crap, which exacerbates not sleeping, exacerbates your depressive swings, and leads to deeper and deeper troughs of suicidal ideation. She is believed to have died by suicide in February of twenty eighteen. She posts a what is essentially a suicide note that is very rationalist in its verbiage literally titled decision theory and suicide, and this is the first death directly related to in Gwen's ideas. But I think it's important to note that, like the role mainstream rationalism plays in all of this, suicide is a common topic at se FAR events, and people will argue constantly about whether or not, like a low value individual, it's better for them to kill themselves, right, is that like of higher net value to the world. And it was also used as like a threat to stop women who were abused by figures in the community from speaking up. And this is from that Bloomberg article. One woman in the community, who asked not to be identified for fear of herprisals, says she was sexually abused by a prominent AI researcher. After she confronted him, she says she had job offers rescinded and conference speaking gigs canceled, and was disinvited from AI events. She said others in the community told her allegations of misconduct harmed the advancement of AI safety, and one person suggested an agentic option would be to kill herself. So there is just within rationalism this discussion of like it can be agentic, as in, like you are taking high agency for your to kill yourself if your net if you're going to be a net harm to the cause of AI safety, which you will be by reporting this AI researcher who molested you, right, and.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because you're taking them man, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Shit, these people aren't Like all this whole community is playing with a lot of deeply dangerous stuff and a bunch of people are going to have their brains kill, either kill themselves or have suffer severe trauma as a result this, all of this, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Escaping this is even putting yourself back together after living in this way seems like it would be such a task.
Speaker 1: Again and likely any cult part of the difficulties like teaching yourself how to speak normally again, how to not talk about all this stuff?
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, not identify as a vegan sith.
Speaker 1: Right, right, because like I gotta say, like there's and people who are really in the community will note like a dozen different other concepts and terms in addition to like vegan sith and gervais as sociopaths and shit that I'm not talking about that are important to this is ideology. But like you just can't. Like I had to basically learn like the like a different language to do these episodes, and I'm not fluent in it, right, Like you have to triage like what shit do you need to know?
Speaker 2: You know? Yeah, it's so deep, it's night, so deep.
Speaker 1: Deep and silly. Let's do an ad break and then we'll be done and we're back. So I'm just going to conclude this little story and then we'll end the episode for the day. So this person, Maya, has likely killed themselves at the start of twenty eighteen, and Zis reacts to the suicide in her usual manner. She blogs about it. She took from what had happened, not that like debucketing might be dangerous and uni hemispheric sleep might be dangerous, but that explaining hemispheric consciousness to people was an info hazard. She believed that people who were single, good like Maya were at elevated risk because learning that one of the whole persons inside them was evil or mostly dead could create a reconcilable conflict, leading to depression and suicide. And she she comes up with a name for this. She calls this passex doom. That's what she like names the info hazard that kills her friend who she is like fucking with their head. So that's nice, Yeah, as nice as anything else in this story. Is I think you might have been the doom here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I it's you with the whole problem. But now, but now it's an info hazard to explain. Yes, a person's.
Speaker 1: Like to explain your theories.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah to a person who can't handle it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And she thinks she comes to the conclusion it's a particular danger to explain it, like to single good trans women, who are the primary group of people that she is going after in terms of trying to recruit folks. So she like admits her belief is that this this thought thing I've come up with is particularly dangerous to the community I'm recruiting from. But it's the only it's essential. This information is absolutely essential to saving the world. So you just have to roll the dice.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It isolates herself within her own group that she's created.
Speaker 1: Well, yes, And it also she is then consciously taking the choice. I know this is likely to kill or destroy a lot of the people I reach out to, but I think it's so important that it's like worth taking that risk with their lives. Yep, good stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Anyway, how are you feeling?
Speaker 2: Got plug?
Speaker 5: I am I I am okay, I'm I'm I. You know what, I'm deeply sad for these people who are so lost, and I'm also pretty interested because this is crazy, but I'm okay.
Speaker 1: I'll be great, happy to happy, to happy to have to see that. Well, everybody, this has been Behind the Bastards a podcast about things that you maybe didn't think, maybe didn't need to know about how the Internet breaks people's brains. But also a lot of people surprisingly close to this community are running the government now, so maybe you do need to know about it. Sorry about that info hazard.
Speaker 6: Behind the Bastards is a production of cool Zone Media. For more from cool Zone Media, visit our website Coolzonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. Behind the Bastards is now available on YouTube, new episodes every Wednesday and Friday. Subscribe to our channel YouTube dot com slash at Behind the Bastards