Speaker 1: Of the law and order franchises. SVU is considered especially watchable.
Speaker 2: We are the amateur detectives who kind of investigate the vicious felonies.
Speaker 3: These episodes are based on. These are our stories.
Speaker 4: Done done.
Speaker 3: Hi, Hi, Hi, welcome to That's Messed Up.
Speaker 2: I'm one of your hosts, Kara Klink and I'm Liza Traeger, and we're coming. I don't know why I always try to say that we're not coming to you live or from even the same city, and do live.
Speaker 3: From a studio.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like we're not at all, But we talked SVU Crime Special Guests. We really have a fun time up top. Yes, we do catch up and we do have announcements. We are on tour in the fall. I'm on tour in the fall. We're gonna be at two hundred episodes soon. So a lot going on here, a lot happening.
Speaker 3: Yes, if you haven't yet, get to Thats Messed Up Live dot com. We're coming to a bunch of cities Denver and this will be our only touring for this year.
Speaker 1: A few of you have asked, like, oh, are you coming to the East Coast. I think it's looking like it's probably our only touring for this fall. But you know, let us know where you want us to come next year, and we'll do what we can. But we're going to be Denver, San Diego, San Francisco, Portland, La, Phoenix.
Speaker 3: Did I miss one? But yeah, they're excited.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can't wait to be back at that hotel pool in Phoenix.
Speaker 3: Baby. Oh yeah, Oh my god.
Speaker 2: It came up yesterday people people were talking about Florida and they they said to Orlando was the worst.
Speaker 3: And I went, I love Orlando, and everyone stared at me. They're like why.
Speaker 2: I'm like, I don't know. The pool was so big, and everyone just laughed at me. But I just hadn't been in a pool that big. I've just been living in these cities. You loved the pool.
Speaker 1: Also, we lived right across the we we say to a hotel that was right across from like a big plaza that had like a fun place to eat that we liked. We got high, we got food, we shouldered, danced in our chairs. I mean, it was a great time. But Lisa was truly plotting her move to Orlando at one point, and I was like, maybe we check out a five mile radius of the rest of the city.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not all Mickey and Minnie, I guess, but yeah.
Speaker 1: I do want to take my kids to Florida soon to like where my like to to where I grew up, going to the beach and stuff like Sarasota.
Speaker 3: But I'm shocked down down yet. That's why I know.
Speaker 1: Well, it's just been pandemic and everything, and then like flying with them has been such a pain in the ass. But I think, like we're flying tomorrow and I think I think I'm.
Speaker 3: Knock on wood.
Speaker 1: I'll update you at our next intro, but I think that we might be hitting like the sweet spot where like Oscar will keep his headphones on, I'll drug him with a little bit of melowtonin I think he'll sleep a little bit. I think it's going to be like an okay, our first like not like white knuckling travel experience with the kids.
Speaker 3: I would knock on would before you start making Oh? I did like that? Okay, I did.
Speaker 1: But Rosie's like great on the plane. She just watches TV the whole time. And if Oscar would just keep the headphones on, he would too. And I think three is usually when they keep the headphones on. And I've been really talking up his headphones, going, you're gonna wear your cat has they.
Speaker 3: Have fun shape? I was about to stay there. Yeah, they've got little cat ears like Gabby.
Speaker 5: You know he loves them, he loves them, but.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean what can I do? Also, he's so snack based.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: Like the reason I'm also saying this is because I'm really scared. I'm flying this week as well, and people have been getting stuck everywhere, like I don't think they've like I don't think they've come back from that inner whatever glitch happened and the hurricanes.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: It just seems like, yeah, I'm like nervous. Honestly, where are you going this week?
Speaker 3: Again? I forgot?
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm surprising at my father, well both my parents. It's my dad's been working at the community pool. It's thirty years this summer, and I've really wanted to like plan a party and do something, but it's just I couldn't. So I'm flying in and I like I'm staying at a hotel, Like I don't want them to know at all because I'm gonna go get balloons and things and oh you're so sweet and get it together, and then of course my parents are gonna be pissed at me because I didn't give them heads up so they couldn't buy ingredients of foods that they would want to cook for me.
Speaker 3: That'll be the only hickes. I'm so happy and then so insulted open.
Speaker 2: They're just gonna be like, we have to go buy her baloney, Like it's gonna.
Speaker 1: Be your dad runs out of his retirement party, like heading to the boloney shop.
Speaker 3: But I've never bought anyone.
Speaker 2: I don't think like the big letters, So just buy like the big numbers. Let's say thirty maybe, like I'm sure they'll have summer themed balloons.
Speaker 3: I'll arrive at their house Friday night.
Speaker 2: We'll go to the pool Saturday, and then I leave Sunday night.
Speaker 3: You know, it's just a quick little surprise.
Speaker 1: We're having a little retirement party for my mom actually this coming weekend.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, it's happy.
Speaker 2: Well, and I haven't been back since you know, Manya passed, And yeah, I'll be where.
Speaker 1: Your parents will be very happy though to be able to snuggle you and say no.
Speaker 3: They're just like obsessed with me.
Speaker 2: It's like so embarrassing for them, you know, I mistreat them so much and they just want more and more.
Speaker 1: No, but you look, a couple snaps here and there, but then you fly in for big events, you surprise for birthdays, you always you know you.
Speaker 3: I think you need to give yourself a little bit more credit.
Speaker 2: Maybe I'll trick them and send flowers that arrive Friday so they don't think I'm coming.
Speaker 3: Yeah, congrats on your retirement.
Speaker 2: Enjoy then whatever he is not retiring, we hope he won't go back next summer.
Speaker 3: It's a nice anniversary of work. He shouldn't be working.
Speaker 2: He's eighty six, psychotic, he's even there, I know, But Lake isn't there.
Speaker 3: He's right after. He's at the pool so early, he's all day. He's going to bed at nine pm. Like it's too much. But I don't know.
Speaker 1: Like my mom's retired semi like, I mean, she's still working on a couple of projects. But I think once your parents just start watching like Netflix all day or whatever, it makes him age faster. It's like to be doing something I think is good. I don't want him to be endangering anyone at the pool. And you know he's not wearing sunblock. You know what, I mean, yeah, I don't want him to get skin cancer. I mean, I know there's a lot of reasons you should stop, but like to have a purpose and something that keeps you going.
Speaker 3: I feel like a lot of people.
Speaker 2: And I keep some young because you know, he has a few lifeguard friends.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that's sweet.
Speaker 2: Actually, one of the lifeguards was texting me being like, so are we doing the party?
Speaker 3: I go, honey, I was in a movie. I don't have time. I don't have time if I can't. But I don't know.
Speaker 2: So we hope he doesn't go back next summer, but if he does, we'll support him.
Speaker 3: But I think he I think it's still little too much. I do.
Speaker 2: I really, yeah, he doesn't. You know, people don't want to admit. I mean, he won't admit. He can't hear the lengths we have to go to have him hear something. Is there a way to like cut.
Speaker 3: Back his hours.
Speaker 2: Maybe he's just going a couple they've tried to fire him for decades.
Speaker 3: They don't want him there. I think technology does the job. He does.
Speaker 2: Like they don't want him there, he refuses to leave.
Speaker 3: This is so funny. This is like a movie, only he also steals like, I understand why they don't want him there.
Speaker 2: I have Skokie Park District hats, t shirts, sweatshirts, bathing suits. He takes from the lifeguards, like he's been stealing the free pool passes. We've been sneaking into the pool my whole life. Like, of course, God, he's just a menace. He's a menace. But yeah, so that's what I'm doing. And then what are you guys doing for your mom's retirement party? Is anyone coming up from Florida?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 1: No, it's like it's not huge like that. I mean, I think it's gonna be. It's like our family. It's like twenty five people. It's like our family, and then a few of her friends that live in the area and her sister who lives in New York City, but not like what are her requests? Like what food and drinks? Does she I don't even mind knows that we're doing it. To be honest, my mom would just I know, like.
Speaker 3: What is she like? Like, what kind of party? O? Wine?
Speaker 1: My mom likes wine? Okay, so my mom likes wine. There has to be wine flowing. Then there's a there's a place in our town in New Canaan that makes like baskets and rcutery plates and stuff like that, or like makes pasta salads. It's like that's the whole place. It's all pre made stuff. It's called garlic an herb, but garlic is not spelled like garlic. It's spelled g A r E l I c K. So we always are like I don't know, so she like. So the fact that we're catering it from there is like that's dream. That's like my mom's number one. Like whenever she's like, oh, you're we're gonna have a little party and I'm getting garlic an herb, like she like loves it that place, so that'll be good. And then we'll just get some hydrangeas or sunflowers, like the flower or she likes and call it a day. She's very like, I don't want anyone abandoned, but she she does. You know, I think she appreciates it, but she didn't want it to be like she didn't want it to be her co worker. She didn't want it to be like the nurses and the doctors. I think they already did something for her, and so I think she just wanted this to be like a little family thing.
Speaker 2: So yeah, well we couldn't throw a retirement party from my mom because she quit in a rage and never went back to work.
Speaker 1: So a wait, are you at liberty to share this story that made her rage out?
Speaker 3: I honestly don't remember.
Speaker 2: It's been a while, you know, she's it's been like a decade.
Speaker 3: Maybe I'm gonna, I'll ask her. I'm gonna. But that's where I get my rap my issues from. Is her.
Speaker 1: How funny if you had asked me that, I would have thought it was your dad. Not that I've ever seen your dad rage out or anything, but like, your mom seems so.
Speaker 3: Calm to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but so am I normally you know, yeah, some people from a distance, they're like oh, and then I just fly off the handle and then that was her at work? Should come home rape, I would remember and be like this bitch. I mean, my mom would get up at meetings and like yell and leave, like she stopped going to the Christmas parties like she does have there. We have similar vibes in terms of that. Wait, I love that, and I.
Speaker 3: Didn't know that.
Speaker 1: It's like like this is me, Like I've met your mom a couple of times obviously I'm a guary only be sweet and quiet with me or whatever. But even on the phone with you, she's always like like the tone of voices like, OHI Liza, Like it's always like she's being so nice and gentle. So I never like think of her as a rager, but I kind of like that.
Speaker 2: Justin just yeah, she just got mad at everyone left and every went back. No two weeks cashed out, like because she works past retirement age like your mom too, you know, yeah, and so it was already fine, she was gonna get social Security, so it was like but there was no hoopla. She just one day was like I'm never going back, and that was that. But I'll try to find out what the fight was. Yeah, I would love to know. I would love to know what this fucking bitch at work did. Well, this bitch she was also she was having an affair with the boss, So she was fucking the boss.
Speaker 1: Oh h m okay, well that adds another layer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so like that's kind of tough.
Speaker 2: You can't really oh yeah, because her husband was like sick and so she was cheating on him with the boss something like that. But it's also like what happened to all companies and what's happening to our business and all of that where it's like it used to be a proper fucking business with cool Christmas parties and nice gifts and like dinner, and then it became like less, and then a conglomerate and more companies bought it, and then it's just like how do we cut caught? You know, it's like, yeah, why lost going out of business? Yeah, you know, the ninety I'm glad we got to experience the nineties, and I'm sure it was bad for lots of different people, but overall as a culture, there was some some thing about Rodney King is like, you know, it wasn't great. It wasn't great for everybody right now, but but there was just like lack of inner I think it's like we know too much or something.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: It just was a simpler time where it wasn't all about conglomerates and monopoly and maybe the laws like who started doing all the laws where companies could do whatever they wanted and controlled us? Because that Clinton is that Bush? Is that eighties? Is that Reagan? Or was probably Reagan? I don't know, I don't know a great question. Capitalist. I just want to marry a history professor and then I don't have to know anything. I will just have like someone to tell me everything. Yeah, but I have to start going to like talks.
Speaker 3: That's what. There's a lot of colleges here. I can start going to talks. Ninety second stree why JCC, there's always talks. Yeah. I start going to talks and meet a history buff. I love a talk. Oh yeah, wait. Have I told my famous Thanksgiving story? But I wasn't there like with my family. So it was like one of the first Thanksgivings.
Speaker 2: I didn't come home and my sister was hosting everyone's coming and I hate my cousin Laura, and like most people do that meet her. So she brings a date to this Thanksgiving. And this was years this is so so so long ago. So my brother in law, his dad starts flipping out. He sees this man and is like hyper like, oh my god, oh, oh my god, and so like runs down to the base and me he goes, I can't sit next to this man.
Speaker 3: And they're like, who's this man? And so basically Elan's.
Speaker 2: Dad was like, oh, I went to a talk some Jewish speaker at Northwestern and there was a man just interrupting and screaming and trying to take control.
Speaker 3: And it was this man.
Speaker 2: So it was like this man that like terrorized this speaker and ruined this big talk that you know, my Michael's trying to enjoy. So so they're like, we'll sit you at the other end. It'll be okay. So we sit everyone. So this man is sitting next to my father and with my brother and whatever, and the first thing he brings up at Thanksgiving dinner is do you think the Holocaust was good or bad for the Jews?
Speaker 3: Yeah? So yeah. So then my brother goes like bad, you know, like what is it?
Speaker 2: So then this guy goes, no, it's actually good because in the Bible it says Jews should suffer in life. It's about suffering to get on the other side, and starts like being an advocate for the Holocaust in this weird way. My brother in law's dad started to scream, and my dad obviously got really upset as well, and so then it became like full blown chaos.
Speaker 3: And I was like, if I was there, I would.
Speaker 2: Have shut that down so fast, like no one would like I would have flipped the fuck out. And then I was like, I will never miss the Thanksgiving again. I will make sure no one is allowed. And this is like a class I mean, I feel bad that I said her name, but it's like a classic kind of situation where like all and her family, they're like, so there's such Trumpers, They're so again, they're so racist, they're so against social services, and yet they all live in government housing.
Speaker 3: Yeah you know what I mean? Yeah, wait, and this was this guy was your cousin that you hates date like a date?
Speaker 2: Yeah, she just because she goes to all these groups, like she would always like drop off her kid. Like I played with her son all the time, so she would drop off her son and go to like Kabbala groups and hippie thing like.
Speaker 1: She was just kind of you know, she pick up this fucking winter Jesus.
Speaker 2: Well no, because I remember my dad's like eighty something birthday.
Speaker 3: She came up to the party, was like so fun.
Speaker 2: It was at this restaurant and then she comes up to me and goes, I think Essenela is being too mean to Trump and like started arguing with me, and then I kept it together the whole party and then I had to be pulled away from her. I was just like, you fucking bitch, why are you bringing shit?
Speaker 3: Ut? Like I just I hate her so much.
Speaker 2: She's actually not allowed in any of our homes anymore, and my mom doesn't speak to her, like we really don't like her. Yeah, and she's the one that told my sister publicly online once like I wish my cause there was a bombing situation and my dad's brother jumped on my brother and like saved him my father. So there was like some sort of military situation and his brother saved my father.
Speaker 3: Like what am I the brothers?
Speaker 2: And so my cousin wrote something like, yeah, if it wasn't for my dad, you wouldn't even be here, Like maybe if my dad didn't save your dad, I wouldn't have to deal with you something crazy. She's and their family were gonna leave us in the Soviet Union too, Like they're bad people. But I feel bad her son. I feel bad for her son. He's you know, like he's he's made, he's made a life for himself. But yeah, has he been able to escape the crazy?
Speaker 3: No? No, he has to go to dinner with him once a week, you know.
Speaker 2: But but he's a good son, but he's also has some freedom. But yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, Oh my god, Well I can't believe I went into this big thing. But yeah, she's just she's not for us. But my sister and I start speaking to her so long ago, and then my mom recently did, but she won't tell me what she said. But I guess my cousin said something that. Finally my mom was like, I'm done. That's your fucking niece. I'm done. She's not allowed in here. So wow, but your mom won't tell you. Do you think it's about you?
Speaker 3: Oh? I don't know. I don't you know. She's said horrible things to all of us, to our faces. Yeah, yeah, yeah it would have.
Speaker 1: Like she said like Lisa's not funny or something like that, like, and your mom was like, that's it.
Speaker 3: You know, nobody talked about my Lisa.
Speaker 2: No, it has to be worse than I wish my dad didn't save you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, dad, so you wouldn't be here. Yeah, because that's pretty fucked. Yeah, it has to be worse. Oh, but now I'm dying to know what that is. See if you can get more information.
Speaker 3: When she wouldn't tell me, I know, I was home, she wouldn't find nobody. It's been a little bit of a time, bitch.
Speaker 2: Once, when I got fired from fat Camp, I stayed with her sister and their whole family in Brighton Beach. Yeah, and then when her when she came to visit, she goes, if I knew you were gonna be here, I would have changed my vacation dates. And it's like you were years older than me. Like I am, I am like your baby cousin. Like it's crazy you're doing this to me. But you know, you know, you gotta feel bad something's going on with her. Almost, I mean you don't have to.
Speaker 1: I'm almost feeling bad for her because something is so miserable within her.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she ended up getting divorced to Like yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, of course I can't imagine that, Like duh, I mean, look what else friends.
Speaker 3: Of what fault?
Speaker 2: Like to add to the story, she's like six three what she's like a giant woman.
Speaker 1: Wow, you know you create this stories in your mind, and that's not what I had. She's like I did not in the Sims game of my mind of the story, she was not six foot three.
Speaker 3: She's like a very tall, tall woman. She's like a very large whoa, oh my god, I know.
Speaker 2: What else in her whole family is as tall, Like she is the tallest person.
Speaker 3: By far for general rations.
Speaker 2: Yeah, overpowers my thought, like which taller than all of us?
Speaker 3: Es, geez, she's your family.
Speaker 2: She was like an esthetician, so she would always just be like she would make like she would be like, don't tell your mom, come come get a facial with me.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: She's just like a little creep, but we kept we saw her all the time. It was just like recent you know, finally with the elections and all that and COVID and how people react, you know, it like changes it, it exhorts, it made things bigger, like lots of people stopping friends with people or families.
Speaker 3: Yeah, kind of you figure shit out. No, totally, totally.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm also excited for my trip coming up because we're gonna hang out.
Speaker 2: And you're seeing Oh Mary and finally talk about it on the podcast.
Speaker 3: I can't wait.
Speaker 2: I fucking was selling like eight people yesterday, Like put it in your calendar, take your girlfriend at a date, you have to go see this speak. I just feel comedians would find it actually like really funny. Surprising, amazing, Like you know, there's a difference between like stand up funny and theater funny, and theater funny sometimes a little corny cheesy like I saw Shucked, Like it's not full blown. But I just feel like these people that are so jaded and I've seen it all would act, you know, like I just like want this for everyone.
Speaker 1: No, I'm really excited because I've always been a fan of coal and I just think the fact that something different is like dominating Broadway is cool. Like sure, let's bring Cats back forever, let's bring off Phantom Chicago. But like something different in like like this.
Speaker 3: Is killing it on Broadway. It's cool. It's like it's uh heartening.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, because someone was like, oh, six, and I go no, no, I saw six. It's not like this is different, this is a genre. But I kept saying this is doing for theater what Scream.
Speaker 1: Did for horror, Like that's what I But it's also not a musical, right cause they're singing.
Speaker 3: No, there's no singing.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, which makes people happier. Actually, people don't love musicals. Yeah, and it's eighty minutes no intermission, Like yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I like I love musicals, but I also love musicals where there's talking and then a song, and then there's talking and then a song and not necessarily what.
Speaker 3: Are we doing?
Speaker 1: Are we going to the store, like you know, like we're all everything is the song, And I think that's that makes people.
Speaker 2: But you know, the Cats that's on right now is like the Jellical Ball. It's like a gay version. It's like a drag version of Cats.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I honestly just said Cats out of my out of my ass, like I was just as like a long running show, but I didn't even realize. But now that you say that, I've been seeing people post about the Jellical Ball.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's an off Broadway thing, and someone I really think is cool went to see it so I might see it.
Speaker 3: I still haven't seen Sightsannic though, Oh it's so fun.
Speaker 1: You just especially with like Selene Fever that's happening right now after she's kind of like back in the public eye and like did the Olympics opening ceremony, Like you just don't you forget how many like fucking bangers she has, how many like ballads that are like so powerful and like, oh, I've never forgotten ever. Yeah no, I know, but it's like I just having them all presented to you. And even we listened to her on the way home. I was like, they didn't even put this one in the show. There's like three or four other ones that like didn't even make it into the show. She's amazing. I love Selene. I love how crazy she seems. Fashion photo shoots she does where she's just totally gets it and is wild. I love her luxury law yeah la roach la Roach. I saw him doing that shoot with her. Yeah, he that seems like a great match. She's very fun. I like her a lot, one of our one of our gems on the planet. All right, let's get started with the episode. We've got a great episode coming up for you guys today.
Speaker 3: All Right, we're here. It's the time.
Speaker 2: It is Ridicule, Season three, episode two, a few months after nine to eleven.
Speaker 3: If I want to be honest.
Speaker 1: As we always like to position ourselves in time via the nine to eleven, that is our our thing we do.
Speaker 2: I mean really coming because I wonder how long SVU actually took off, because you know, I want SNL what came back out in a month or was it two months. Yeah, but I remember that was a big deal. It was Reese Witherspoon, right, Oh did I make that up?
Speaker 3: After? I could have totally made that up. I feel like I made that.
Speaker 1: Up first SNL guest after nine to eleven.
Speaker 3: I was remember Rudy Giuliani was there, but it was her. Yeah, I'm right, so happy and Alicia Keys Wow, good memory.
Speaker 1: I would never have remembered that Reese was the one to bring us back into laughter after a national tragedy.
Speaker 3: I can't she's positive. She's a positive cow. They get sauce. I'm a I'm a.
Speaker 2: I wish she didn't sell her production company to like, you know, dark money, oh to like not black Rock, but something in that vein Like really, yeah, she's like the first actress billionaire interesting to Blackstone for nine hundred million dollars.
Speaker 1: I know a lot of people that work there. How do you feel about that? I mean, they're making a lot of money, but it's I'm always confused because I'm always like, wait, is Blackstone bad? I mean, I'm sure it's bad, but is it is it black Water black? Or black Rock bad? And then there's also Blackwater is a bad thing.
Speaker 2: I just don't know why. I just don't get it. Like the whole point was like women's story, it's fun. Did she sell it off like she's not going to be involved anymore. She's still going to be involved. I'm sure she's still working. Okay, I'm sure she's making stuff and you know, picking the books and getting the rights to the book, picking the book.
Speaker 5: Yeah, famously, I read Wild in my book club.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm glad I never did. That was one of her choice of myself. You were proud you never read Wild, or that you never saw the movie or both, honestly both. I was just like her in a boot, just walking in a forest.
Speaker 2: I don't want it. I just had no interest in Wild. Wait, I forgot. This isn't an intro. We do have an episode. Okay, yes, yes, we just like truly devolved into Reese. But that is the power she had, and that's why she brought us back to nine to eleven.
Speaker 3: And here we are.
Speaker 1: It's the first Christmas post night eleven and we're getting this this amazing episode.
Speaker 3: This is a wild episode, and I'm excited that we're doing it.
Speaker 2: So a man casually walks into a cute apartment calling out for someone named Sid and the decor is very Beetlejuice minus the goth So there's a lot of whimsical shapes, but it's yellow walls.
Speaker 1: It's funky, you know what I mean, very dely adites. Yes, wait, I told you we showed the kids Beetlejuice. And now Oscar keeps randomly when I'm putting him to bed, sometimes just going lydiadeets lydia adeeps, just saying that that's creepy, because if he said Beetlejuice, I'd get it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but he doesn't even mean.
Speaker 1: And he goes, who's Lydiadiets And I go, she's a well from Beetlejuice.
Speaker 3: And he goes, what does she look like? I'm like, you know what she looks like. It's so crazy. He's the sacess.
Speaker 2: I think, I mean, I think you guys should do a family Beetle Juice costume this year.
Speaker 3: Like I really believe in that. I would actually love that.
Speaker 1: Let me pitch it to Rosie because she's kind of set on being Evy the Pokemon.
Speaker 3: That is really cute, you know, but that.
Speaker 1: I don't think that will be a group costume because Oscar has no passion for Pokemon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, so here we go. He calls out again, no answer. He sees little candles, you know, lit in the bathroom. He opens the bedroom door and she's on her knees on the bed but bending forward with dim lights, and he's like, what the hell are you doing? Me to stay? This is not the way to do it. And he starts walking in after hiding behind the door, and oh no, she is tied up but also dead and tied to a ceiling fan. She was positioned and her face was chill like, it was kind of like eerie. Yeah, it didn't look distressed, but her eyes weren't closed, like I don't know, you know, kind of wild.
Speaker 3: Yes, creepy.
Speaker 2: Okay, so active crime scene Melinda warners at a conference. So we're stuck with some man. Yeah, Benson and stablerry here and Benson's like, so, what's on the menu today? Justin and it's auto erotic exphyxiation and Sydney Green early thirties husband found her. He was flipping out, so they drove him to SVU to wait for the detectives because he was kind of being annoying, but also, you know, his wife is dead. He cut her down and turned off the music. She's been dead three to four hours tops. There's no apparent fluids. Because auto erotics usually fly solo. Justin fills us in. So that's why Justin is leaning towards solo.
Speaker 3: But you never know.
Speaker 2: And then Justin his gross as hell and goes it's not official to like cut her open, and it's like, do you really have to? Yeah, like just in case she was poisoned, Like I just didn't know that you just willy nilly will cut open anybody.
Speaker 1: That's I feel like any autopsy involves a cut open.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because like they Melinda's like weighing organs and shit, you know.
Speaker 2: I don't know, yes, yes, the famous liverhold So Benson says, until we have proof, let's treat this like a sexual homicide. But there is no sign of break in or a struggle, and the bedroom is set up for a seductive scene and we're into the credit they asked the husband, how long has your wife been exphyxiating? And he's like, oh no, that's crazy. Wait, I'm sorry. Did you watch The Jersey where John Fuda had an allergic reaction and refused to the hospital yea, what a.
Speaker 1: Dope, What a dope. Alians don't go to the hospital. Shut up, Like it was making me crazy. It was making me crazy. He's wearing like an Italian shirt. I'm like, your identity of being Italian like cannot be this strong.
Speaker 2: It's it's actually unhinged. But I wonder if he's allergic to bone marrow or what happened. But you got like his throat was closing, he was sweating, he couldn't speak, and he was like, no, I'm fine, I'm gonna sleep it off. And it's like, just get some oxygen, you maniac. He like through the oxygen.
Speaker 1: Like jobni Margo's husband, Joe b Niino like obviously like like physically doesn't really like do anything for me. But like when he's like the only mature husband, he's like the only mature man. He's like, no, you have to go to the hospital right now, like let's go get well. What was the word he kept saying, actic aphylactic. He was like, it's anaphylactic, anaphylactic, and they kept going back up, going what does that mean. I'm like, you've all put children through school where peanut allergies happen and you don't know anaphylaxis like that.
Speaker 3: That was wild to me. They're like, what what at? What's that like?
Speaker 1: They were all just like New Jersey seeing it up so hard, no offense, New Jersey housewivesing it up.
Speaker 3: It was. It was wild. It was wild.
Speaker 1: It was giving me a lot of adgetas you can tell. Yeah, you are stressed, I'm activated.
Speaker 2: Okay, so the husband goes her vibe, that's not her vibe exphyxiating. But they've only been married six months. They're already having issues and they're they're in a separation and it was a quick engagement. They only dated three months, so they've only known each other nine months total, So she could be exphyxiating secretly, we don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you don't know everything about her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but they did decide to separate a little bit, and he went to get a few things, and that's how he found everything. He's only left just a few weeks ago. He's an artist and he was at his studio working. They ask why you know they weren't getting along and he's like, whatever, Like two people can love each other and not be good living partners. Why are you even asking me these questions? He's annoyed, irritated, huffing, puffing, and then calmly just asks for a phone call when they released her body. Saylor says they'll let him know, so he leaves, and it's time for a judge judge meeting, So suspender Cragan is leading the meeting, and we have munch Finn and Benson and Stabler, so they think he's hiding something. Saylor thinks that she had a new man and the husband caught them and that and he is the killer Pixie cut. Benson has the visitor sign sign in from the building, and Pam Adler and Amelia Chase arrived around lunchtime, and Finn actually knows one of those names. He asks if it's Pam Adler, the criminal attorney, and she's cross examined him before, So Benson and Stabler head onto the law offices since Finn has history with her.
Speaker 3: It's June fifth. We're at three point two Center Street, the law offices of Adler, Rose and Kleine. I just think it's so annoying, Like every partner, you just keep adding and adding these names. Just call it a thing. I don't get it.
Speaker 1: Oh, trust me, our lawyer. When I'm writing out the check, I'm like, my hand is hurting. Like it's so many freakin' names and you have to write them all. I mean, I think so no one's ever told me, hey, it's okay to just write this, so I just write them all. It's a lot. It's a lot of names, but it is annoying. And then you make partner and like, what if your name sounds shitty? I mean, I gotta say, Clank is probably going to fuck up any law like the law Offices of Barrister Framingham, like O'Brien, Wiles and Clank, Like, I don't know, I just feel like it's gonna fuck up your cred with your building. Tragger is a good trigger, would be like a good law name. I think it would be fine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you really hate it up. You hate Clank.
Speaker 1: I don't think it sounds good with many things, but I've grown to like it for me, but I don't want to get it. I was happy not to give it to my kids, and I'm happy to not be a partner in a law firm to ruin their style.
Speaker 3: And we love Pam Adler.
Speaker 2: She is played by a Page Turco and she was the rich mam and wife of Kyle McLaughlin and Blood Brothers from season thirteen.
Speaker 3: So if you were wondering who she is and is she not? Is she not? Later in another one, No, she's not.
Speaker 1: For some reason, I thought she was the wife of the guy who is the doctor and has a secret family, but that it's a different one. But yeah, yeah, And she's also not Laurie Laughlin.
Speaker 3: If you were like, is that Lauri Laughlin, it's not. It's not. Yes, but she's been in stuff like my whole young she's so star yeah sor she's been working. She's been working.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and she's really sad to hear the news of her friend.
Speaker 3: They were close.
Speaker 2: They met at Vassar, so you know why were they over there though during lunch she said, well, she didn't show up to our plan lunchtime, so we went to check on her at the apartment. Sidney said she wanted to be alone, but Pam thinks that someone was in there and she had company. Stabler's excited that he might be right that, like, you know, there was another person because there was Robe Candle's music, so that's what they're assuming.
Speaker 3: The bedroom door was closed, so she has no idea who it could be.
Speaker 2: But she says that Sydney was depressed and Andrew was no prize and they hate Andrew and they talk about him the whole time. And so she says he was an artist with questionable talent and that he married a meal ticket. They met on a Caribbean vacation. But she's a really good friend and she's like, oh, but I convinced her to get a prenup. And then she also gives them the info to the divorce attorney and she's like, you know, he's going to have a complete list of her assets. So they meet, you know, we meet a man in a suit and he fills usin. She made a killing in junk bonds but lost her shirt in the tech market. So that's a lot of lingo there, and basically the husband might get like fifty grand with the death. Benson goes, that's a lot of money, and the attorney attorney goes in Manhattan, don't kid me.
Speaker 1: I mean really, it's like, once you pay taxes and stuff, that's like, that's not worth killing somebody, to.
Speaker 3: Be honest, is the deal.
Speaker 1: But people kill each other for three thousand No I know. But if you're trying to tie it to a money game. Yeah, that's not it. Fifty grand in Manhattan. I'm sorry, it's really like, that's like you're gonna have a nicer life for like six months.
Speaker 2: I hate to say it, but if the client lives, he would have gotten nothing in the divorce because of the prenup. So you know, Munch and Finn are waiting outside, waiting for their girl, and Finn is like, oh god, you know these stock party pool they live so well, short hours, spa days. And Munch hates the spot and he goes only women can learn how to waste money and time at the same time, or when he say, learn how to waste both whatever. He hates the spa, he hates his ex wives and that's that. So Diane Neil walks out and she's in a turtleneck, and but she is not playing Novak.
Speaker 3: This is the stock bitch. She's at the spot.
Speaker 2: This reminds me of legally Blonde always back to Reese Witherspoon. Yes, the stepmother. So they're gonna talk about Sidney Green and this doesn't This girl doesn't seem sad at all. She's like, I have Aerond's do you mind if we walk and it's like, your friend did just die. They met at Goldman and they stayed friends, even though Sydney was a little too risque for her. But she's also like confused because she heard the details and assumed it was an accident.
Speaker 3: So what's going on?
Speaker 2: Munch questions why she would assume that, and Novak answer, not Novak, it's not Novak.
Speaker 3: Okay, so answers that.
Speaker 2: She me on the edge Amelia Chase, and it's how she worked and lived, big risk taker gambling, kinky sex, ropes and stuff. And even though she wasn't into that shit, she did believe that they were kindred spirits. They were both badass bitches who like to make tons of money and like fuck over any man that got in their way. So back at the office, time to report to Daddy Cragan and Craigan's like, whoa, So are they even close enough friends to chat about something so intimate?
Speaker 3: Grow up? I can't believe it? What a prude?
Speaker 2: Munch goes, Yes, spirit sisters who love to take down moneymen, and Finn walks by like, oh yeah, so close. She seemed real broken up about her friend's death, and those are my sentiments.
Speaker 3: Exactly.
Speaker 2: So now it's yeah, you got a full blown facial in your shopping after a full day of work, and you're.
Speaker 1: You're like, I can't even stop to talk about my dead friend.
Speaker 3: Can we just like actually walk and talk? Is that cool? Like my kindred spirit of a pal?
Speaker 2: So Craigan asks, you think her and the lawyer has something to do with it? You know, they were the last people to see her alive. Or maybe it's still this bro husband. So let's go to the morgue. Then also check with the husband's neighbors and also talk to the husband in cement room bars. He tells them what they already know. There was no money. Then they asked him like you said, she wasn't into choke stuff, but we talked to someone else who said she loved it.
Speaker 3: So which is it murder or accident?
Speaker 2: And he had he has his head in his hands and they keep pushing him and he goes, you know, he sighs heavily, and finally he's ready to spill some beans. We told everyone we met on the islands, but we really met in rehab. We just didn't want anyone to know. And they were both pill heads and knew the worst about each other, so he would have stuck by her side no matter what other weird shit she was up to. If she had only come clean, maybe she would still be alive today. So he says, Sydney was using drugs again. She was losing control, and they were at this bachelorette party and her and her friends attacked the mail stripper and it was reported to the cops because they were waiting for them. When they got back from their honeymoon. They raped this man stripper and that's why they were fighting. Someone killed my wife and it was probably him. Dramatic music plays Dun dun. Stabler looks skeptical. Benson and Stabler approach a hippie style van. It looks like they're selling wares or living I'm not sure. Later I do realize it is an animal shelters type of van situation. There's a woman out front, and then I ask for Peter Smith. He pops out from behind. He's like, what's up. He hands a puppy to the girl and walks with the cops and he's into them being there and ready to talk. He's like, oh my god, did you find the names of the other women who rape me? And Benson's like, so do you know Sidney Green and he's like, you know, I do. Stayblor asks if he has seen her since the alleged drape, and he's upset, like, alleged excuse me, but no, he hasn't talked to her since her and her friends attacked him, And finally he goes, Okay, you are obviously not here to help me, so why are you here. They reveal that Sidney is dead and he's like, oh, you think I did it? And there clearly they do, sir, and he says, even though I have so many reasons to be angry, I didn't kill anyone, even though the cops ridiculed me and told the nurse that it was a scam. They go okay, okay, so what have been your movements for the past few days? He was at the animal shelter and then he you know, he walks in a huff and goes, you can even check with my supervisor. Benson is also like, well, her building had full secure there should be proof, like, what the fuck is going on? And we know that when all else fails, you go to the Emmy's office.
Speaker 3: But it's still not Melinda.
Speaker 2: She's not back from this fucking conference, and this guy, you know, he still thinks that she did it to herself. So there's a walk and talk and behind them is a DARE poster, which I found nostalgic and funny.
Speaker 3: And so do they still do that? No, it does.
Speaker 1: DARE still exist. A yeah, looks like it does. California, Dare America. There's all different kind of DARE shit on the internet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yep.
Speaker 1: DARE Officer training in Utah, twenty twenty three. It's still happening. I mean, I don't remember anything except for okay. Our officer who came to talk to us about DARE was named Officer Lombard. I remember him exactly. I could probably draw his face from memory. He would always tell us like, so, if a guy, if guys come up to you in dungarees and offer you something, and we're like dungarees, like we're bumping on dungarees, or like we didn't know what that was. And then it was always just hilarious that dungarries are jeans, and he'd be like, so, if a guy comes up to you in jeans, run That was the big DARE takeaway for me.
Speaker 2: We had a woman cop and uh she I remember she went to a girl's desk and started like taking her you know, pencil case kaboodle thing and like taking all of her stuff and going, robbers want your stuff, so give them your stuff.
Speaker 3: That's what I remember. Just give them your stuff.
Speaker 1: God, but asking a kid to part with a kaboodle huge.
Speaker 3: I was obsessed. Hide and a black on the bottom. Woo you still have it? No, that's a sexy color. No, I have like the re release, Like I like, someone got me a gift. I keep my pins in it. Yeah, not an original.
Speaker 1: Like I had this fucking CVS style perfume called Calliente.
Speaker 3: I would keep that in my kaboodle. What a time to be alive anyway, keep cinnamon. What is cali Calliente?
Speaker 5: It was like some cheap smelling thing that I thought was amazing, Like I don't think I put it on because my mom was probably like, stop wearing slut perfume.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know what caliente it felt like what it smelled like, but it wasn't. It wasn't like a light floral gap scent that I should have been wearing.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: It was like but you know, there's like a little joke where it goes. You know, Dare made me feel like people were just going to be offering me drugs everywhere I went. I know it's not the reality of life, but where it is I don't know.
Speaker 1: No, but like they made it seem like you wouldn't have to have any money. They would just come up to you and be like, hey, you want drugs. And I guess they thought the point was like they'd get you with the first sample, you'd get hooked, and then you'd come back with money, right, is that what's happening?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Oh god, it just made me think of a horrible scene in Euphoria with Martha Kelly. I'm still gonna watch. I'm still gonna watch a manipulative, evil bitch.
Speaker 1: Not the actress, of course, but oh we love Martha an SVU fan and I think an occasional listener of our podcast, Oh, such.
Speaker 3: A bad person. God shivers up my spine.
Speaker 2: Okay, So Finn, Stabler, Benson and Stabler what why would I write?
Speaker 3: Stabler twice.
Speaker 2: Is not into this story, But Finn and Benson are down with that conclusion. And what conclusion we really I don't even remember what I'm talking about. We got sidetracked by the Dare pot. I also remember like there was a lion, a cute lion and a Dare shirt that I really enjoyed. But I think it's a waste of taxpayer money. Okay, yeah, So was she alone?
Speaker 3: Was she not?
Speaker 2: Is it the women? Is it the husband? What's going on? And Finn goes, we got to just wait for Melnda to come back from the conference. So Benson's like, no, no, we have an open rape case. Like we it's not just this murder. We also have a rape case and we have to work on it. And Stabler does not want to and Cabot doesn't want it either. She's like, I'm not taking a man rape case. Everyone. This is honestly, it seems like the eighties but it's not. And I bet it's still you know, taboo to this day. Too many people. So we meet up with a dream threesome. We have Stabler. Why wouldn't I write who else it is? It's it's Cabots, Stabler and Kragan and they're all talking, and you know, Stabler goes, I.
Speaker 3: Mean, he wasn't even drunk. There's no weapon.
Speaker 2: I'm not buying it and and you know, nobody buys it, and a jury's not going to buy it. And Cabot's like, listen, if a crime took place, I'll handle a jury. Sailor goes fuck, okay, So we're gonna do the first man victim rape case, okay. And it's like, would this have been the first male rape case in New York City?
Speaker 3: I mean, I doubt it, but I mean the true crime I'm going to talk to you about is from way earlier than this, but it's not in New York City, so I don't know, but I can't imagine.
Speaker 2: So Stabler accuses Cabot like, oh, you're doing this for attention, and she does not like that. So we have an erection debate, like you know, doesn't count if someone's hard, but the law disagrees with Stabler.
Speaker 3: You can be hard and be raped.
Speaker 2: And Cabot's sending them to go talk to the victim and get his statement.
Speaker 3: But we have even bigger problems.
Speaker 2: It's not up to Cabot and her boss doesn't want none of this case like at all. So we're at a park outdoor walk and talk, which is you know, Cabot wind in her hair and there's a man in a suit, and he's like, listen, a man stripper. I don't think so, and I don't want to do this. And there are photos in the file and Cabot's like, what the fuck? You don't like his professions, so that's that, and he's like whatever. So he claims three women cuffed him into a bed and assaulted him. Come on, he doesn't want to spend tax mayor of money on this. It's not a believaable guy. And even his living girlfriend didn't buy it. So if you want to fuck with your reputation on this flimsy case, you have at it. But I'm not doing it. She goes, fine, I don't care, I'll do it. Give me your notes. He agrees to the note exchange, so we go to talk to his girlfriend at the time of attack, who says they broke up a while ago. She's in a white T shirt working at a restaurant, which it gets messy. I really don't understand the chef situation, or is it a brag like, look how clean my whites are. I don't know that is I know for the cheesecake factory, they're supposed to look like bakers, but for a while, I thought it was because they were supposed to look like cheesecakes.
Speaker 3: And I like her. So she's working at this restaurant.
Speaker 2: She's like, listen, I wasn't at the party, okay, but she doesn't believe that a man can be raped by a woman, and then she gives details that aren't really relevant. She was like, he was a kept man of a woman twelve years older than him, and Sabler goes, but he has rich parents and she's like, yeah, they didn't want to waste money on his drama degree.
Speaker 3: Get real.
Speaker 2: Everyone just keeps doing come on, get real, Okay, Like this whole episode, everyone is.
Speaker 1: Really really crazy because it's like this is the job of law enforcement to like stretch, like and to question what has been legal for a long time, because, like I mean, marital rape was allowed until nineteen eighty four, like until some prosecutor or some eightya was like I'm going to take this on. I don't really think that women should be able to be raped by their husbands, you know, and then it was changed. So it's like, yes, someone has to be the first person to take on a male rape case and like make it a legitimate thing because of course it's a real thing, you know, and everybody's just like, come on, the boner is the boner. It's like, it's crazy logic. But maybe it's because I've been watching twenty five years of.
Speaker 3: This television show.
Speaker 2: It is always funny when you start talking su with some buddy, because I am squeezing it in most conversations, and then it's always like, so what are they on twenty and then you'll go twenty five, get out of here.
Speaker 3: It's like every conversation goes like that.
Speaker 2: So Stabler finally asks this waitress like, okay, then why do you think Peter would come forward? She goes attention, Peter one time cheated on me with a casting director to get a part in a play. He'll do anything to get ahead. Benson steps I mean, I do like that a man is being treated like a woman. That is kind of nice, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Yeah, But like, also the idea that anybody would be like I'm going a clean rape because I think that's really going to get me ahead of my career is like what.
Speaker 2: It's such a gas lighty theory because that's never happened ever. Benson steps up to her, but she says, no, he is going to be on the news and in interviews, and like he probably thinks this is all worth it.
Speaker 3: I know him.
Speaker 2: Sabler's fine with that, and Benson's like, whatever, she just told you what you wanted to hear, stopping an asshole, and let's keep working. So Stabler does a working lunch with b. D. Wong aka George Hwang doctor. I love when they eat at work so much. Everyone knows that. So maybe he can convince Stabler that men can get raped.
Speaker 3: Stabler is like he works out, what the hell?
Speaker 2: And Huang's like, okay, but you know, we're also taught not to hit women and not to fight back, and so like maybe he didn't want to, you know, punch a woman in the face before he was handcuffed.
Speaker 1: The thing is is like the guy was probably handcuffed to the bed thinking it was all part of like the game, right, Like I don't think he was handcuffed against his will.
Speaker 3: I think he thought, oh, like whatever, they're gonna like like you know.
Speaker 2: And now we later find now we later find out about the letter opener or did we already find out about that there was a letter opener? That's a letter opener. Yeah it was fine. I'm here being like, but you can't hit, you cannot fight back of your handcuffed. That's just the bottom line. But okay, yeah, we're getting a lot of toxic masculinity from Stabler.
Speaker 3: Go on, go on, I know he's such a fool. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And Stabler doesn't like this whole thing, like we're taught not to like fight women. He goes, that's bullshit. If he felt trapped that self defense, just do it hit the woman. Statebler screams, he doesn't scream, but whatever. And then George is like, well he was ashamed, no control, pride, like self esteem were violated, like he was in a different headspace. And he bites into his cracker in a way that you're like, this man is so.
Speaker 3: Gay, Like how did nobody know?
Speaker 2: You know what I mean, It's just like the sassiest little bite of a cracker.
Speaker 3: I'm like, George Huang is out there. He is at the eagle.
Speaker 2: I did like recently on Instagram there was a photo of him and Stephanie March like out and.
Speaker 1: About I posted it to our Instagram stories. They were some were cool. It was her birthday. I think it was like her fiftieth. Yeah, I love that they're but it's amaze. So they talk about how this is the price of female equality.
Speaker 2: I kind of hate the conversation they have, and so they're like, you want equality, then you're gonna get raped, and I just expect more from George Wong. So we have the victim back in the office and Sailor is gonna try to talk to him again. Sailor asks if he's still a stripper, and it's like, no, I stopped after the rape. And he's like, you know, the job was good. I gave me a lot of free time so I can audition in the day, but I also gave up on acting too, Like I don't need this in my life. So I guess the attention angle isn't really true. Sailor looks bored and condescending and is like, okay, so you showed up in your little cop outfit, so tell us what happened.
Speaker 1: I got that really burned stabler that he showed up in a cop outfit, Like you didn't go to the academy.
Speaker 3: He says.
Speaker 2: See, he got there late and there was like thirty women or so, and they were pretty sauced and hungry. For entertainment, so he danced for them, and Sailor's like, oh, so were you drugged? And he gets mad and turns around dramatically and is like, oh, you think that's the only way it could happen. She wanted to pay him, but said the check book was in a different room. So when they got in there, he saw a desk. The light turned on and he realized that they were in a spare bedroom and the two other women were waiting for him. One had a letter opener and tried to stab him. The other two pulled him back, cuffed him to the bedposts. The music was so loud that nobody could hear him screaming. He gets up and looks out the window. He shakes by the blinds. He didn't want to, but his body he can't explain it. Benson encourages him. He yelled and screamed no and threatened to call the cops. And then one of them said what she said at the top of the episode, which I didn't sit.
Speaker 3: I don't know. Whatever.
Speaker 2: She goes, what you know about the law wouldn't fit in the palm of her hand, or would fit I think it's would fit. Yeah, whatever, she says this to the detectives earlier, so I think, you know, Pam Adler, Amelia Chase suddenly there. They're seeming more suspicious, so yeah, what you know would fit in the palm of my hand. Okay, bitch. So Pam Adler was in the bedroom, so Amelia Chase has to be the third person. So there's a full team meeting in. Stabler is still saying he's an actor. I don't believe it. He's making this up, and Benson seems like the only one really fighting for him, and Craigan says it's lineup time. So they bring in Chase and Adler and Munch and Finner at the fancy office and Amelia is hard at work with a view. She has a secretary. Oh there's an orchid. There's a little ponytail. But they want her downtown now for a lineup. She of course doesn't want to. They of course threatened to come back during busy trading hours. So she goes in. Adler is in a walk and talk with men in suits. There's giant columns. Benson and Stabler are there to grab her, and she thinks she's gonna, you know, go to court, but they say no, you're in a lineup, babe. So she tells the other suit men like what to do, and she has to go do this lineup. Carolyn Maddox walks in.
Speaker 3: Okay, what is it?
Speaker 2: H pounder CC pounder pounder. Okay, so I got it right but wrong, you know what I mean? Yeah, yeah, yeah, cch Carolyn Maddox walks in and shakes hands with Cabot. They have a lawyer SmackDown chat vibe. Maddox is impressed with Cabot and is like, Oh, this is gonna be fun. You're a formidable opponent. And I really like their dynamic throughout all this, Like they're just badass bitches who are who are excited to kind of brawl a little bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's like this is the kind of female competition, healthy female competition that we like, not the kind where you make a lot of money and then choke your friend out.
Speaker 3: You know, we like these two.
Speaker 1: I think it's a good foil to the problematic group friend group that the poor victim was part of.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, you're right, you're so right. So it's lineup time. The women enter. He quickly goes number three. That's Adler. What I know about the law. Remember, yeah, we remember. So Benson says, jac I didn't say it up top, and I do regret it, but I don't know whatever. Yeah, Benson says that's two for two, and Cabot says to read her or her rights and Benson goes to do them. Pounder's like, oh, hell yeah, get ready to be famous. See you in court. Cabot smirks. So we're in court. The women approach with their lawyers. The judge is also like, you know, this is an unusual precedent. I'm not really I don't really get this, and Pounder goes, yeah, you know, this is about Cabot getting you know, her name in the paper. Cabot's offended, and the judge goes, Okay, save your energy, dear, and they're released on their own recognisance, which is like pretty wild, and it's you know, media stare time. And she says her only crime is being a confident sexual woman and that he is a fame hungry liar and she's a professional and she's sexy, and that he's getting in the way of real victims of rape. So Maddox and Cabot walked down the stairs, fighting back and forth, thinks she's making a mockery of this and that this is awful towards real victims, and Kabbait goes, okay, so what is that going to be your closing argument? She says, this isn't going a trial. I'll see you in chambers, lady, and hands her a paper. So we're in Norah Lewin's office and this is the DA and what do you know, it's Diane Weste.
Speaker 3: So that's pretty exciting. And she's only in a few svws. I know she's so yeah good. I feel like we were just talking about her. Yeah, I love Diane Wete, Oh my god.
Speaker 2: And so she's like, babe, don't you think you bid off a little more than you can chew? I wish I did good impressions. I like her calming, soothing voice. But yeah, she's like, I think you bit off too much. You can chew With this high profile case. There's a man in a suit sitting down to and Diana is chic. She's in olive green, cute little glasses. So Kabak goes, what you don't want me to do this? She goes, you can do it. But this man here in a suit stand he's going to be first chair and then you guys will tag team. But of course is offended. But Diane is like, listen, you have a personal history with Pam Adler. It doesn't look good. Cabot's like, so what, I just lost the case to her, It does not mean I have an agenda, and she's like, oh, just stop being naive.
Speaker 3: They'll use it.
Speaker 2: So we need to make sure that our you know, that our witness gets the best he can and this duo is good. So now she shows them pounders paper and that they're challenging the law. So we run on off to Judge Petrowski's office and the argument is that only men can be charged with rape one and that's gender bias. Maddox states that this bias can like was pointed out from a case by a wife raping convict trying to get out on appeal, and Cabot goes, yeah, but he didn't win his appeal, but it did change the law. Maddox responds, going, this is bs, so what's gonna happen?
Speaker 1: And that, by the way, that that case they're talking about is called people Versus Liberta and it's from nineteen eighty four and I have looked it up and sadly there is no Wikipedia it, so I actually have to read like lost stuff, and I don't know how to do that very well. But I'm sure our lawyer girlies and boys know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the lawyer papers. It's just the level that I can't really engage in. Petrovsky says, I want to hear everything about all this, so you know, we'll have a little hearing. It'll be, but I need it to be diligent and brief. So we're in court for you know, a debate. Maddox, this is going to go back and forth for a while. I'm kind of annoyed. Okay, so let's see if I could do it.
Speaker 2: Maddix says rape needs penetration, and so women can't do that, and Cabot says, hello, filating a man against his will can get a woman sodomy won, And Maddox goes, Nope, I don't care. I think arousal equals consent, and Cabot goes, physical signs don't hold more power than an audible no, and.
Speaker 3: Put it on a T shirt. Put it on a T shirt. Maddix says, women don't rape, stop it, and Cabot's like, we thought it was wild for a mother to kill a child, but now it's the first person that we see suspect. And this goes on and on, Like I said, are women equal to men or are they not? So the motion is denied by Petrovsky and we're going to court. So Cabot and the victim meet up and everyone hates him. They're chasing him down the streets, harassing him. Scary, scary. Cabot says, yeah, and also, they're gonna dig into your past, so you need to tell me anything they might find. He goes, well, my dad said my passion be brought into the trial and Cabot's like, shut up, your dad's a fucking moron. Now she goes it might not be allowed, but they're gonna find ways around it.
Speaker 2: And she's like, why are you so concerned? Is there something you haven't told me? And he goes no, no, no, and then asks for a ride home because the vultures are out there. You know, there's a scene in BoJack Horse where Boja like he's getting mobbed by the press and paparazzi and he goes, God, these vultures, but there's two vultures hanging out drinking at the bar, and they're like, I'm sure he didn't mean us. It's really funny. Okay, So we're in court. A woman from the party is on the stand and she says that Peter arrived around ten.
Speaker 3: He danced.
Speaker 2: There was money at basic strip time, but she didn't notice the defendants weren't there because she was preoccupied until Sidney Green told everyone to leave. Adler and Amelia Chase are smug and they're grinning watching this and it's weird. The woman on the stand says, she goes, it's weird that Sydney kicks us out. You know, that doesn't really happen often. And I thought it was rude, but now it makes sense. But it doesn't matter. I you know, I had to go home to the babysitter anyways. So a relatable queen, and so the matto says, no questions, no questions from the defense. Peter is now on the stand and he talks about the letter opener and he thought she was too drunk but she couldn't get the weapon, and he still thought it was fine, but once he was being dragged like, he says, it's usually chill it's kind of what you were saying. He goes, sometimes the women get wild, it's a wild night, they grabby, grabby, But this was different because of the cuffing, and it happened really quick. Any points that Amelia Chase did the cuff So Pam Adler's trying is now trying to defend herself and question him. I believe that's bullying. Petrovsky is hissed and finds this repulsive Maddix. So all of them come up to the judges stand and Maddox is like, I don't know, this seems fine to me, and Keab it's like this is an intimidation tactic on a rape victim and interrupts an alleged rape. And the guy in the suit is also against this, but the judge has to allow it, like she is a lawyer and she does have a right to defend herself. So Judge Petrofsky points her finger at Pam and goes, if you cross the line at all, I will hold you in contempt. So she walks on over and asks Peter about him going to the gym, and like it's going to be the strong man defense and that he can protect himself. And she does have an evil vibe and dark eyes, and so then a bomb drops. She goes, did you file a civil suit for five million dollars against Sydney Green? He looks guilty, He's taken aback, even though Habit fucking warned him shifty, and so he says he needed information.
Speaker 3: He does. He's like, that's not what it looks like, but he asks.
Speaker 2: He's forced to answer, and so Maddox leans forward with a grin, and you know, he goes, yeah, I did it. So she keeps saying alleged as well, and he screams, I didn't want money. I wanted names. Pam asks for immediate dismissal. Cabot is pissed. Her hair is very bouncy. Stabler is there with Peter and Cat and Cabot and they're screaming at him. They're like, you know, Stabler, suspicions were right. You blind signed us with the civil suit. He goes, I didn't think it mattered, and the suitman yells, everything matters.
Speaker 3: So what else did you lie about? He goes nothing.
Speaker 2: So now Benson is yelling too, and he's like, Stabler was on to me, and you know he wanted to drop it from the start, so I didn't want to say anything that would cause cause it, you know, all of you to think I just did it for the money, and Stabler goes, then what is it then? And he goes, I wanted my rapist names. Then the cops didn't help me, and I didn't know how else to get it. And they're like, but what if you did make money, He goes, I would donate it to the animal shelter. I need those rapist names. So the suitman's like, yeah, yeah, I get it, but there's a jury and there's no way to prove your intentions. Benson has an idea, let's get the civil lawyer to fill us in. So Stabler's an asshole though, and Peter goes, I was raped. What do you have against me? Sidney Green was coming forward. So her lawyer actually ended up calling Peter after he was accused of killing her, and he said, Sydney agreed to give me the names, but the death nullified the suit, so what did he do wrong? And everyone is silent because he should have said that as well, like that she was going to talk and everything. Benson walks into the main office area Hubbub and says Peter was telling the truth. The lawyer said he didn't want the money, just the names, and the day before her death, she contacted the lawyer to set up a meeting to come forward. So that sounds like a motive for murder. So the girls could have killed her. But you know, science did say self inflicted. But Melinda's back from the conference. Oh thank god. She says, Justin's a good pathologist, but not very imaginative, and female autoerotics are very rare, and he missed something. It is a murder, she says, Well, most women don't use porn. They fantasize, and auto eroticism is addicting and habitual, so there would have been signs like there would have been a lot of scarves and silk to help, you know, with the rope chaf and women who do this often were turtlenecks and scarves to cover the scars. And she says that the knots were done by a pro so someone that practices this. And so they have to go back and look at the crime scene. So they're there, you know, the powerful three, Melinda Benson, Stabler, and they're going to try to solve the crime and nail some evidence, so they start improvising a scene. Benson climbs on the bed trying to get a look on the fan. There's dust on the ceiling and she goes, fuck, they didn't dust for Prince. They only dust by the fan. Melinda shakes her head. I guess she can't go anywhere. So now the not novak aaka Amelia Chase and her lawyer are in cement room bar and Cabot is walking in ready to drop the bomb. She says, your client is under arrest for the murder of Sydney Green, so plead out to murder too, and she testifies against Pam Adler and she can get twelve and a half for the murder in seven to fifteen for the rape. The lawyer is sarcastic, like, well, great deal. But the prints are brought up, so suddenly the stakes are higher and he's like, you know they're friends, and Cabot goes, the prints were on the ceiling above the bed, babe, and we also searched your client's home and we found a bunch of choking shit. And then Kabba goes, why don't you remove your scarf from your neck? And she knows the jig is up, so she shuts up her little lawyer and she goes squeeze those numbers. I need a better sentence. But she does agree to like flip on Pam Adler. So Cabot goes tell me about the rape and it cuts to her on the STA So I really like this editing. So first she says she hated Sydney Green's fiance, that he was beneath her, and Pam goes up to her at the party and says that she made an arrangement with the stripper. She also confirms the story that of you know, we've heard from Peter this whole time, and she also added that at the end she threw cash at him and Maddox tries to get her, but Amelia Chase was there, so how could you? And Amelia admits to like handcuffing him and that sends off Maddox like exactly you raped him and blah blah blah, and she really loses it here, is getting really heated and then brings up like, well you like, are you guys rapist or you guys just this sounds like a satisfied customer. She told you there was a deal in place. She threw the money at him, like what are you saying? So that's the end of the trial and we are now at what is it verdict? Yeah, verdict, So rape not guilty, sodomy not guilty, unlawful imprisonment not guilty, which is fucked up. He was handcuffed against his will, assault in the third degree guilty, and yeah, Adler hugs her lawyer. Cabot says, I'm sorry, Peter, we didn't get them both. He says, well, one is better than none. Alex congratulates Maddox and says, I didn't get the ruling I wanted. Maybe next time, and she walks off. She As she walks out of the courtroom, she like signals and walks away into the distance and the press mob Pam Adler camera lights everything. Then Stable and Benson come in and arrest her for the murder of Sydney Green. Stabler's cuffing her. She says, I'll beat this charge to counselor, and Cabot is not worried. Maddox turns to her and says, I guess next time is now? Want to go get a drink? Cabot says twenty five and Maddox responds sixteen, and you pick up the bar tab Cabot goes, are you crazy?
Speaker 3: She would only get twelve? I'm not doing that.
Speaker 2: And they're like friends and I like that, and they walk off into the bar and I hope this bitch is found guilty for murder and.
Speaker 3: I both got the tracks.
Speaker 1: Though, is like making a deal before she even knows a single minute of like the actual case, Like does she know if they have a case what? Like I guess she probably knows that they have Amelia, so whatever, but.
Speaker 2: They have Amelia, And I wonder if you know her prints were found anywhere. I am shocked that the unlawful imprisonment was not guilty, like he was handcuffed against I don't get that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would like to see a fun like night out at a bar that's like cch Pounder, Elizabeth Marvel, all the female defense attorneys that are like crushers, you know, like even you know Natalie Natalie Cole has only one episode.
Speaker 3: But she's good.
Speaker 1: We got Viola Davis can come, Yeah, Viola Davis, Glenn Headley, We get all the female das to come in there. I mean defense attorneys come in there and uh really throw down and drink some pino and noiter okay for.
Speaker 2: All the women, and then all the men do a tug of war. I'd like to see that too, Buchanon, All right, tell us about these crimes.
Speaker 3: Let's get pissed.
Speaker 1: So this case is wild, wild, wild, Please everybody listen up, because I've never heard of this, and this is like truly, the details are out of control. It's the case of the manacled Mormon, which is a crime that happened in the seventies. So in September of nineteen seventy seven, a nineteen year old Mormon missionary named Kirk Anderson goes missing in Surrey in England, Okay.
Speaker 3: And at first this like barely made a blip on the news radar.
Speaker 1: Apparently there was like a lot of other stuff going on at the time, and so news, you know, and in the UK tabloids were like at a high at this time, but there was other stuff going on, and so nobody really cares about like a missing Mormon. And then the details emerged and this became one of the biggest void obsessions and people were obsessed. So Kirk had apparently been taken right off the steps of a church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints. If you've seen Book of Mormon, I can all I ever think of is like the Church of Jesus Christ of.
Speaker 3: Latter day Saints. So and a guy.
Speaker 1: It was a guy named Keith May who took him. And Keith was twenty four years old, so allegedly he pretended to be an investigator for the Mormon church, used a fake gun and chloroformed him and kidnapped him. Three days later he was freed and when and he told police that he had been taken to a cottage in Devon, chained to a bed, and a woman named Joyce McKinney had tried to seduce him and ultimately raped him, like multiple times.
Speaker 3: And now this woman was not unknown to him.
Speaker 1: He and Joyce had actually previously met in Provo, Utah, where after she converted to Mormonism, she had moved and she had been trying to weasel her way into the Osmond family. Okay, she'd been trying to figure out who she could become friends with. I don't even know any of the other Osmond's besides Donnie and Marie, but apparently there was like some other off brand Ozmond that she was trying to start a relationship with and she eventually kind of had a friendship with him, but like I guess, the mom Osmond was like, oh, fuck, no, this lady seems bunkers, like, get her out of here. So the Osmond situation did not pan out for her. And later she met Kirk and he is nineteen and she's twenty five, and they start dating. She says she lost her virginity to him. She also later claims she became pregnant from the relationship, but had a miscarriage. Kurt felt immense guilt that they had sexual, you know, relations because of religion, and he confessed to the quote unquote elders of the church, and they put a stop to the relationship. They shipped Kirk's a little butt right off over to England to keep doing his missionary work. And this made Joyce Like Joyce did not like the reaction of the church, and you know what, she lost her faith. She quit Mormonism, but she couldn't quit Kirk. Okay, she followed him around the US before he had gotten shipped off off, to the point that at one point he was living under an assumed like a different name to avoid her then when he went to England, she hired a detective to find him.
Speaker 3: Okay, she's in love and obsessed. I mean, it's not funny.
Speaker 1: If it was a man, we'd be like, this is a psychostalker, and that is what I feel about her, But it is. It's just funnier for some reason because of the situation. But we shouldn't be laughing because that's the whole point of the episode. So she somehow teamed up with this Keith may dude. I don't know how they know each other. I don't know what his stake is. I don't know if she's promising him money. There's like really not that much info about this, except there is a documentary that I'll talk about later, but I didn't get a chance.
Speaker 3: To watch it.
Speaker 1: They flew to England to get her man, Okay, her and Keith. So Keith kidnaps Kirk, like we talked about, brings him to the cottage, and allegedly the reason that she kept him there for three days and was like raping him repeatedly was she was attempting to get pregnant with his child. She claimed that tying him up was just a game and that it was to get him to chill out about his religious guilt around sex and that it was consensual.
Speaker 3: But Kirk very much claims he was assaulted. After three days, they just allowed him to leave, which is wild. And then Joyce and Keith were just arrested immediately and they were held in prison for three months. In that time, Joyce was desperate for press, Like she would call newspapers, she would talk to them about sex and blowjobs and all this shit. And she was like this cute, horny, blonde woman with a Southern accent. So the Brits were going wild.
Speaker 1: If you've seen that video where the girls are like, I get die in for it, that's what it reminds me of.
Speaker 3: They are dying for this woman. They love her.
Speaker 1: The prosecution argued that she was a stalker, which I mean, that's really adding up in court kirk Anderson's account read quote, she grabbed my pajamas from just around my neck and tore them from my body. The chains were tight and I could not move. She proceeded to have inner Kirk course, I did not want it to happen. I was very upset end quote. There's also I should mention like the defense is trying to act like this is impossib again because a previous relationship. And also he was weighed somehow somewhere in the mid two hundreds. She weighed somewhere in the mid one hundreds. How is this possible? But it's like they used chloroform, she had a male accomplice, Like, it's not impossible. Joyce's statements to the court included quote, I loved Kirk so much that I would have skied down Mount Everest in the nude with a carnation up my nose. That's like a famous quote of something she said about how much that she would do anything for him, including skiing down Mount Everest naked with a carnation upper nose. If that's giving you any idea of what's going on upstairs with this lady. So the tabloids are obsessed eating this up This becomes a huge tabloid story. And this is in the late seventies, and then in twenty ten, Errol Morris, who's a famous documentarian who made The Thin Blue Line, He's made a lot of other documentaries, he made a documentary about her called Tabloid. So the tabloids were loving it, but the courts were not as charmed by her and the case was going to trial, but this time she was granted bail.
Speaker 3: So it's like after the she was held in jail for three months.
Speaker 1: Then I think there was like I don't know, English court proceedings, there was some kind of initial court proceedings, maybe like the equivalent of a grand jury or something, and then after the court case was going to trial, she was granted bail. And under the Sexual Offenses Act of nineteen fifty six, which was being enforced in the UK at the time, no crime of rape was deemed to have been committed since the victim was mail. However, indecent assault of a man is a charge that did apply to her, So that's like what she was going to trial for, not even rape much like in the US, like until you know it was I don't think it was specifically said, but like at some point, you know, the courts had to accept it. But I don't know if it was like specifically ever in law that you couldn't rape a man, but it was in the UK. She used her time out on bail to cash in on the newfound fame. Okay, she went around to all these newspapers. She was kind of paitting newspapers against each other trying to sell her story, and the newspapers had like different There's like a lot of legal mumbo jumbo about which newspapers could actually a story by her because to not be considered interfering with the trial, you know. And so she ended up attending a premiere of a movie called The Stud that was based on a Joan Collins book, and she showed up with this journalist in a Rolls Royce.
Speaker 3: It was like a whole thing. She was photographed.
Speaker 1: And then I have to read this section from the article in the Guardian because it's very wild. Okay, I'm just gonna read it verbatim because I can't paraphrase it any better than they wrote it.
Speaker 3: Quote.
Speaker 1: Within days of the Stud premiere, McKinney had vanished. She didn't turn up at the police station as required by her bail agreement. Instead, with the help of her landlady, whom she had charmed to her cause, she and May assumed the identities of two dead Mormons and slipped out of the country in disguise, pretending to be a pair of deaf mutes.
Speaker 3: End quote.
Speaker 1: I don't think this woman could do a British accent or whatever. I think they were like, if she talks, everyone will know it's her. She's been giving so many interviews, so let's make her a deaf mute. And she escaped back to the US, and apparently the British courts were basically in no mood. Much like Stabler. The British courts were like, okay, let's let it go. Like they were just not in a mood to continue with the trial, to extradite them back to England anything. So these people kind of just like didn't get any punishment. Two years later, in July nineteen seventy nine, Keith and Keith and Joyce were both arrested by the FBI on charges of making false statements in order to obtain passports, and they both got suspended sentences. So it's like even the FBI have them and was like, you guys aren't allowed to lie to get passports or whatever, and that was it. Two papers ended up publishing her story. One gave an account that she gave them and it's like the photo on the cover is like her and it's like the love of her life. It's like this they're trying to make it this like romantic story about her being just like trying to get the man of her dreams. And I think she's holding a flower or something.
Speaker 3: On the cover. It's like very demure. She's wearing a turtleneck.
Speaker 1: Another paper posted a photo of her like naked, lying on her stomach, very like playboy pin up, like sexy nude photo, and it talked all about her secret life as an escort and all this stuff. When she found out about the second one, she went ballistic. She had to be taken to a hospital and sedated. So you know, there's all this going on about this. And then in nineteen eighty four, Joyce was arrested at the Salt Lake City Airport where Kirk Anderson worked. This is five years later. She's still obsessed with this guy. She's stalking him, even though at this point he's married and has children. When they checked her car, they found handcuffs, rope, and a notebook detailing all his movements. She insisted that she had driven to the Salt Lake City Airport to book a flight, but they later discovered that she had driven thousands of miles from North Carolina, which was her home state. So it's very much giving the astronaut lady with the diaper, you know what I mean. Like, this woman's driving across the country to like stalk this man at his airport job. In twenty ten, she does the tabloid documentary that I mentioned, but she did not like the way it turned out. You know, she showed up to screenings all over the US. She showed up to more screenings than Errol Morris showed up to. Then she protested a movie that she'd willingly participated in. She'd show up at screenings all over the country. She'd go in disguise. And then she told the New York Times quote, I sat till the audience started to leave and waited for the precise moment, and then jumped up and yelled, I'm Joyce McKinney. And the New York Times notes that she says it with considerable glee, and then Joyce says, they went crazy. So this woman is obsessed with fame and attention. Whereas I don't think our victim in the episode wanted fam and attention, this woman very much wanted it. In twenty sixteen, she tried to sue Errol Morris, saying he'd misrepresented her and that members of the She claimed that members of the production had broken into her home and threatened the life of her service dog if she did not release the footage. She did not sign release papers allowing them to use footage for the film. It doesn't get any better from here. Like, I think she has mental health issues. In twenty nineteen, she was unhoused and living in her car in the San Gabriel Valley around LA We are a magnet for the mentally unwell here in Los Angeles, and sadly she was arrested for the hit and run of a Holocaust survivor in valley village, which is a wild kind of end to the story. This poor man named Jennety Blotsky was ninety one years old, had fled the Holocaust to Ukraine and had come to the state, had literally come to the States, had escaped all kinds of and then gets mowed down by this crazy lady in her car. It's really tragic and a sad story. And you know, his family was like I wish she had the decency to stop and not leave him dying in the street, because she did drive away, but they did get her, and the last stuff I could find about her was that like she was going to trial in twenty twenty, I think for that, but I'm imagining she's incarcerated or in a mental health facility. And then yeah, eventually, Anthony Delano did write a book about this whole thing called Joyce McKinney in the case of the manacled Mormon.
Speaker 3: So that's the story of Joyce, very very a very wild.
Speaker 1: One that was insane, Kara, I know, I know, I mean the amount of twists and turns. This woman also, like really I think loved the attention that the British tabloids were giving her and was just like.
Speaker 3: Eating that up. And then I think she thought that.
Speaker 1: The documentary would do that, and then when she realized I think that it made her look a little bit unwell, she protested it, but then that God was trying to give her more attention as well. And I don't know, seems like she probably had a diagnosis from a younger age that she was this obsessed with this man who she had a brief relationship with and followed him across literally oceans disguises I mean and disguises and smuggling out of the country. I mean, I also have to like, I also have to believe that in like the late seventies, there was way less TSA like no TSA like no, you know, easier to forge documents. You could walk people like onto the plane back in the day, you know, like, have you ever heard this story? Molly Shannon tells a story one time about how she just got on a plane going the wrong to the wrong place as a kid, like when she was ten. I was like, I don't think that that kind of stuff can really happen anymore, although you hear the you do hear the odd story about that happening. But yeah, that's that on that And we have an amazing guest coming up, a return guest that we're very excited about.
Speaker 3: So don't go anywhere our guest today. You know her, you love her.
Speaker 1: She's a deep friend of the pod and an SVU regular. She's also been on shows like The Following and NCIS, as well as Circle of Deception on Lifetime, but she's best known as Assistant District Attorney Casey Novak. Today is her first SVU appearance, where she portrays lawyer Amelia Chase. Please enjoy our conversation on her return to the podcast with Diane Neil Okay, so Diane is back.
Speaker 3: We are so excited.
Speaker 1: I just listened to our first we had you back episode thirteen, No, and this is going to be our episode in a like the one nineties.
Speaker 3: So it's really crazy. Yes, we had you on so early. You were like one of our first big gets, and now you're back.
Speaker 5: It's a kind thing to say, big gain. That's a kind thing to say, is we're really.
Speaker 3: Happy to have you back. Well, then you're sore only live show guest. Yes, I was going to say, really.
Speaker 6: That night was so much fun.
Speaker 3: What was that early twenty twenty two?
Speaker 1: I think so the beginning of twenty two January twenty two, we had you on stage blowing the minds of four hundred and fifty people that did not know that you were going to be on the show.
Speaker 6: It was in New York.
Speaker 1: It was a highlight, a career highlight for me for sure. And then you dropped a lot of fun.
Speaker 3: Tea about about Chester Lake and Dan Craig like flor sorry, I.
Speaker 6: Think do you remember me?
Speaker 5: Afterwards, I'm like, wait a minute, is this gonna Are you gonna play this as an episode?
Speaker 6: You guys like no, Like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So now we just tell people live show to live show. We just tell them, like it's like a secret game and telephone where we just tell people. So it's gonna get totally mutated at some point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're gonna pick it up and be like Diane Neil talking trash. That's messed up.
Speaker 6: I always think when people are like trash, I'm like, no, no.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: If you didn't want people talking trash, you shouldn't have done something trashy?
Speaker 3: How about that? How about that?
Speaker 1: This episode, though, is ridicule all the way back season three. I mean truly, We do like to tell people how close episodes are to nine to eleven. This is three months after nine to eleven, this episode, and it is our first spotting of Diane Neil as a young Amelia Meliat, not Casey Novak Amelia Chase, a high powered finance bitch who just wants to make money and stick it to the dude at.
Speaker 6: Age twenty two.
Speaker 5: My friend, you guys, like, I'm sure you know Melissa Joanhart, who's actually six months older than I am, and we're buddies, and it's hilarious because she's like, she's like, why do people.
Speaker 6: Always think you're really old?
Speaker 5: And I'm like, well, I've been playing someone in my forties since I was in my ear like twenty yeah, and she's like, yeah, I've been playing teenagers since I was in my twenties, like Sabrina the Teenage, which she was never a teenager.
Speaker 6: Like she was like, yeah, it's.
Speaker 1: It's so funny because, like, you know, you've posted some of your old modeling pictures online and stuff, and like you look the same as you do in ridicule, but with a turtleneck and a scarf and a blazer. It's like that the wardrobe really does help, like your hair up in like a little you know, twist and then like a sort of a I don't want to say casual corner because I'm sure you were paying more money for these suits the character, but you know what I mean, like these these really bland suits. Yeah, I thought you were in your mid right early to midy' you.
Speaker 5: Know, because the neckerchief just says I know how to tie a square enot.
Speaker 6: I feel like that's always an adult thing, Like.
Speaker 3: I slash, I like to maybe have a little bit of uh run in the bedroom. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if anybody is listening, that is a longtime listener. You will remember we talked to Diane about the episode Serendipity, but we did touch on ridicule, but we never talked about You're like this scene where Stephanie Marsch is like making you the offer and you're like, I'll be getting a senior citizen's discount, no way, Like because they want to. They want to offer you like seven for the for the rape and then like fifteen for the murder. I'm so young, fuck you yeah, and then they make you take off the scarves.
Speaker 5: I'm sure you're crazy about that episode. And I didn't notice at the time, but it was have you guys, you guys heard that we shoot tandem episodes right like an s few, So when you're kind of running behind on schedule, you'll shoot two episodes at the same time. They'll hire a whole second crew and then like you'll get That's why you'll see some episodes where like Marishka was in one and some of the guest stars and then like Chris is in that and you don't really see except them like one scene anything or.
Speaker 6: You know, like Kelly get I should be over he or something like that.
Speaker 5: It's because they're shooting two episodes at the same time, and so the reason why Chris and Marishka were barely in Ridicule is because they were in a tandem, so they were on another set and so it was mostly like Stephanie Marsh and me on that set. Yeah wow, which is why they're barely in that one. But I didn't know at the time. I'm like, wait, they're the stars of the show. I'm like, I haven't even seen them.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 2: Well, also, you probably didn't know that you'd be taken over for Stephanie March.
Speaker 5: No, never in my wildest names. And what I always think is funny is that people think, like.
Speaker 7: Did anyone notice that Diane was a rabbis And I'm like, yeah, every care Kelly Gintish was in episodes before Iced Tea was like, that's how they would find people, Like yeah, pay like the people.
Speaker 3: Will write us so many shocked. I just saw Scanavino as a as a as a drug addict or something, and I'm like, yeah, that's they find them somehow.
Speaker 6: Right, That's how they do it. That's how they do it. So it's wild. So everyone's like, oh, that here they did, did you know? And I'm like, you know, they did that with everyone. It wasn't just me, they did that with everyone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I'm trying to make this game happen.
Speaker 3: We'll see if it happens. I'm stealing it from Watch What Happens Live.
Speaker 2: But uh I will Yes, but you actually watched the Sandra Bernhardt episode she was on a few weeks ago, because so I guess you know, they're doing audience questions and someone asks, like, how was it with Morgan Fairchild being on Rosanne and first Lesbian Kids? She goes, Honestly, I was awful to her on set. We were all awful. None of us respected her. We were terrible to her. And I apologize. She was ahead of her time, she was incredit and like does kind of a two minute apology, wow for being rude on set like thirty years ago for her, Like yeah, like Morgan responded and everything, and she's like, yeah, they were mean to me.
Speaker 5: They're horrible, horrible, They're horrible, but like good for I mean, like good for both of them.
Speaker 1: Do you do you remember anybody ever have being mistreated on the set of SVEW. I know the answer is going to be no, because everybody always says how nice the set is, but I'm just oh wondering if the Morgan fair Child ties back yard. Yes, because everybody we talked to is like, what a fun set, so amazing. Oh maybe somebody was a jerk, and.
Speaker 5: Well, I have to be honest, Okay, every actor will tell you that because they want to work again, like for real, like that.
Speaker 6: It doesn't matter how awful it is, It.
Speaker 5: Doesn't matter how mean. It doesn't nobody cares, Like nobody says anything. It's just kind of like this unspoken rule that nobody says anything negative. And uh yeah, no, there's always there's always something interesting on every set.
Speaker 6: So it's not specific to SBU, but it's wild.
Speaker 5: Like on shows that you've been on for a long time, you'll be on other shows someone will come up to me and be like, oh my gosh, that was the worst experience of my life.
Speaker 6: X and Y and Z. They were awful. They made me cries in.
Speaker 5: The bathroom or oh my god, they I'll just so I had I can't believe I'm telling you guys this, But who cares cause everyone like it's funny. I've actually never said anything negative about anyone because to me, it's like those were my college years.
Speaker 6: It's my fun.
Speaker 5: It's like, you know, my family, like I loved everyone, and and people always pretend like there's some kind of beef and there's no beef. But I definitely had a full bar in my dressing room and I don't drink. It was for I would have them put guest stars in the room next to me so if I could hear them crying, I'd go over and say it's okay. Man, and I had come on over house have a drink, and I would give a speech. I had the same speech for everybody, and I meant it. I'm like, you know what, I'm like, I love my job and I get paid no matter what we do, one take or two hundred takes.
Speaker 6: I'm okay with it. I'm getting paid. I'm here. I love it.
Speaker 5: You want to run lines off camera, you don't know what you're doing. You're freaked out. I'm like, it's okay, Like you can ask me anything you need me. Because a lot of time and I think I told you guys this time. It's really hard. Like if you're one of those people playing a victim on the stand, you have to go from like zero to one hundred in one second and I tried to explain to people what acting really is. You always have these moments where you're really in it, and then there are times where you realize, oh, I'm just an idiot lady on a floor, sobbing was not coming out of my nose surrounded by men in their fifties in shorts. You know, like that's really what you're doing, right, Because you get like two hundred people in the crew, it's always usually like dudes wearing cargo shorts and you're just some idiot flooring. You know, deep in this, and when you really think about what you're doing, you're like, uh, yeah, someone wants Peter Reager in an episode of SCU He's like, acting is just deciding how much of your own humiliation you want to participate in.
Speaker 6: I was like, that's really good. That's good.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Wow.
Speaker 6: So they have to so a lot.
Speaker 5: Of times off camera I'm like, hey, if you need me to yell at you and scream at you and stay stuff like off camera like you're a terrible mother and nobody likes you, you know whatever. So most of the time off camera I am with their permission or if they've asked me, giving them the what for and then when you turn around to like my coverage, I'm like, where were you Tuesday?
Speaker 3: You know you saw out of the way.
Speaker 5: I'm just just screaming and those things that, like, you know that, I'd be like, okay, what's the thing You're most vulnerable. They're like, I'm worried about being a bad mom. I'm like, all right, you want me to give it to you, I'll give it to you. You know, you suck because you're not home with your children, you know, like whatever they needed cheers, cheers, and I was like.
Speaker 6: I'm I'm here no matter what. I love it.
Speaker 3: So we had two listeners. Actually I have it right now. They gifted me and Kara tearsticks away. That's awesome.
Speaker 1: That's awesome because we love talking to people about crying and stuff because like some people have told us that, like Marishka has pulled them aside and been like, you're gonna get there. You got to cry on this next take and I know you can do it, and this and that and like and it's it. We always ask people like, how did you get from like you said, zero to sixty, like, so from you know to bawl and crying, like, especially with all these people standing around you waiting for it right like like tapping their watches and then right now for action.
Speaker 5: You know, it's just loud and noisy, and people are farting and moving around and eating donuts and it's like it's mayhem and then all of a sudden go you know. So it's yeah, it's a it's a tough thing for people to play, but I loved it. But yeah, no it and especially with the subject matter, I always felt bad for like the kids. I'm like, especially the ones on the stand, little kids, and I'm like, uh, do you know what we're talking about?
Speaker 6: Do you have a therapist? Are you okay?
Speaker 3: Yeah? No.
Speaker 1: Tomorrow was just telling us about We talked to her about the specific episode where a kid was supposed to be like dead under a sheet in the morgue and like she saw him shaking. She saw him shaking under the sheet and when she pulled it back, he was crying and she was like, can somebody get his mom? Like buddy, you know, like it is like it sounds like really kind of like even though you could be explained, it's fake and this and that it's like you hear adults screaming at each other in this one, you know.
Speaker 6: And then there's a thing that happens all the time.
Speaker 5: I know this sounds really stupid, but even happened on like ncis a lot of times we just forget that someone was playing a body and you like break for lunch and they're just like laying you know, with like a pair of panties double stick tape to their ankle at Central Park and like everyone's gone, sorry, oh my god, totally unintentionally, just everyone just kind of wanders off like guice lunch, go break, Yeah, and they're like, hello.
Speaker 2: Hello, wait, let's do this game that I'm I'm trying to make happen. We'll see if it ever happens. So I'm gonna like give little categories and then you choose between Dan Florax, hold On, Marishka, Christopher Maloney, Beady Wong.
Speaker 6: By the way, has Beatie been on?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah? Okay, good Johnny, Yeah okay.
Speaker 1: And we just talked to Danny Pino recently, Kay, oh wait, why is it? Or bells er lunch basically, or I see any of like the regulars that you work, got to like any of the regulars.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Floric Tony, I wrote Novak l O L. March Yeah, Hargeay Maloney Wong. Well, you sort of vote for yourself if you think you're the person.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Who is the best gift giver?
Speaker 6: Oh wow? Ice? Definitely Ice and Coco.
Speaker 5: For my thirtieth birthday, I kid you not, this was one of the greatest things in the world, because you know, Ice was so these giant diamond studs in his ear and I was always like, what cop can afford those?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 5: But whatever, like those are amazing, And so he asked me one day, He's like, did anyone ever buy you diamonds? And I was like no, and he's like, what about your engagement right, I'm like, oh, that was a gift from my grandmother to my husband. And so for my thirtieth birthday, he and Coco got me diamond studs.
Speaker 3: Oh my god. Yeah wow.
Speaker 5: And then and then I wrote him a really heartfelt thank you note and he thought it was a love letter.
Speaker 6: I'm like, you don't get thank you notes that much to you. It's just a thank you know.
Speaker 1: He's like, Diane, we're just calling you're beautiful, but it could never be anything like no, no, no, no, I'm like, okay, most likely to be late, who was always running late. Oh okay, see busy lady, Kara, do you want to do the next one? Okay, okay, this one's tough because I feel like there's a lot of competition in this field. Funniest, oh man, oh you're at Belser, but you got Ice, you got Florac is funny at Maloney So oh man, that is so hard because Ice has that weird, like subtle humor.
Speaker 6: And he would just say stuff he didn't know was funny.
Speaker 5: I think I told you last time when when I was trying to decide whether to get an account not and he said, yeah, just be the only one that's your own checks yea, and that at the very end you tell people have three hours of advice. He was like that way when they kidnap you, they can't kill you, and like he meant it, and I was just like, sorry, well.
Speaker 1: That's what I was gonna say. Maybe not funniest. Who made you snort the most? Who has made you do your little snorts?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 5: So like Chris would do all this stuff for me from like Harold and Kumar, you know, he'd be like, Randy, what did the devil?
Speaker 6: What Crystal Math? Everywhere.
Speaker 5: You know, like Chris would always make me laugh and do funny things, and even to this day, I think I told you anytime he's with the wet, hot American summer people, like, yeah, he tends me pictures of like yeah him with like Paul Rudd and mixed vegetables. So like he was hilarious in the way that I think is funny. D Florek was like dirty funny, like in that you know what I mean, like hilariously dirty funny.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 6: But then Bells ares like classically stand up funny, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but yeah, it's a tough fun It's a tough fun.
Speaker 5: I think Chris would make me snort the most, for sure, because it was always unexpected to because he's like he has such intensity, and then you know, on a time he'd switch and.
Speaker 3: Be like he.
Speaker 1: Wow, yeah, okay, one good one best drunk oh floor Oh absolutely, oh so funny, a tough, full sober guy as a character. But then after but then in real life, oh.
Speaker 5: Yes, definitely some cast party hilarious stories. But there there there have been more than one time. So when I finally started, because after a couple of years, you want to drive yourself, right, because in New York, you get driven to set, and so Ice and I would be the only people that would drive yourself.
Speaker 6: So but I s would be driving like his Bentley or his Rolls Royce.
Speaker 5: And I bought myself like a fully we got paid different, like a fully loaded Jetta, like a brand So and then you know, to be respectful, you always check with the teamsters first, because you don't want to do something that will make a teamster lose their job.
Speaker 6: Right in New York. Oh, so I'd still get driven on the location, which was great.
Speaker 5: But going to going to Set, I would drive my Jetta and and then I would always you know, I didn't drink, so I'd always be the desidated driver for like everybody all the time. And there were times that, you know, I'd be in the car driving from a cast party and I'm like is that is that Dan? And he'd be like, give me a ride home? Like I left downtown, he was like Upper east Side. He'd just jump in the back of the car and be like, hey, can we have some burgers?
Speaker 6: I'm like what?
Speaker 5: And I'm like, are you getting a paper back there? I'm like, I'm not your amazing drunk. My favorite drunk. Absolutely, Oh my god, I love yeah.
Speaker 6: So good and like obviously you know, only at like parties. It wasn't like he was an alcoholic.
Speaker 3: Sure he wasn't like like in the middle of.
Speaker 6: A site, it's not a problem drinker.
Speaker 5: But yeah, some of those parties, like the amount of times I'm like, are you gonna puke back there?
Speaker 6: I'm like, I just got a detailed We.
Speaker 1: Tried to ask Tomara about the Christmas parties and we she said that they were fun, but we didn't really get much else out of her.
Speaker 3: Any other juice on the Christmas parties.
Speaker 5: Were always they were they were messy, and then I always made sure like whatever whatever party.
Speaker 6: So there were times it.
Speaker 5: Happened a lot that people would be like, oh, production doesn't have enough money for a party this year, right, So I'd be like, whatever, I'll pay for the party, Like, well, like we'll have fun. And I always knew it was a good time, so if people went to the emergency room, so like like Marishka's bridal shower that I threw. First of all, it was the most amount of money I'd spend on anything in my life. Like I was like, I don't have twenty five when except my house, Like I didn't even know it was, but I think three people went to the emergency room.
Speaker 6: Like it was a good party, you.
Speaker 5: Know, like no cameras, that's her bridle shower, you know, this was her bridal shower. Yeah, Like so I read it out a little restaurant. It got real messy. It was all the girls from like the crew, and we just got things happened and then things like other ones if people got pregnant. I'm like, that was a good party. And that happened a couple of times. So there are a couple of people who are still married and at some of the parties hooked up for the first time. And then since I would I would drive to work. Yeah, I remember once it was hilarious. I'm not going to say who, but it may have been someone for the makeup department it was and someone that I think is still a producer, and they hooked up at one of the parties for the cast and crew that I threw and I saw them in the car in front of me and I was like, ah, at a stop, I'm like, I can't believe these two are they how do they know each other. They live near each other, and then I saw them at the stop like lean over and make out. I was like, no, oh my god, that's the best gossip.
Speaker 1: Like I worked on a set once where like I was an assistant, I was hooking up with another assistant, but then one of the directors was hooking up with the head costumer. They are currently married, half kids together. Oh, Like it was always the best gossip. You're like, you two, Like, yeah, I love set gossip like that.
Speaker 5: One of them, I think he's still were the producers and and they're married with two kids.
Speaker 6: But like, yeah, that kind of thing would happen all the time.
Speaker 3: But so love because you've.
Speaker 1: Got to be professional during the day, and those parties are kind of the only opportunities.
Speaker 3: To be Like how do you feed?
Speaker 5: Yeah, everyone gets real messy.
Speaker 6: Yeah it was like super messy. But to me, that's it's more fun.
Speaker 3: That's what the holidays are about.
Speaker 6: Exactly.
Speaker 3: Who would you like to go on vacation with the.
Speaker 6: Most bead.
Speaker 5: Oh good one didn't even hesitate. Didn't even hesitate, no, because he's I mean he's hilarious too. I mean that's the problem. He's hilarious, and you know we yeah, yes, bead absolutely, And I bet he likes to go to like classy places and he does and exotic places and you know he knows everything and like fine dining and you wouldn't have to you wouldn't have to lift a finger. He'd be like, I made reservations here, I did this, this is amazing, this is where we're going.
Speaker 6: I've friended a yacht, you know, like okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, who do you think?
Speaker 3: I mean, this one.
Speaker 1: Feels pretty like there's an obvious maybe, but maybe it's not who's most likely to work out before getting to set?
Speaker 6: Oh, it's like one hundred percent mollow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, didn't come out of nowhere set.
Speaker 5: So like on NC, I asked Michael Wetherley and I plays to know though, Like we would half the time, like like my favorite person to work with on Earth is Michael, I mean insane, laughing, ruining every scene, pissing everybody off, and we.
Speaker 6: Would just we would do we could.
Speaker 5: We would spend half of our time doing impressions of Chris working out or stretching, like that was our favorite thing, and like we would tape it and like send it to him or like my favorite way that Chris would take down a purp because he always did it with these like weird straight hands. You know, he's like between the arms and like it's just like when you watch it, it's just like it's so good, like.
Speaker 1: You know, just butt high end. Well it's so funny because the show's been on forever. But like then the internet is like a little bit later, you know, so like the memes that come around now, like the one where there's one where I think it's from Serendipity actually where he's got the purp and he's like got those two butt like his butt cheeks or just like everybody suddenly was like, wow, who knew Stabler had these cakes or whatever? And then people post photos now of him just lunging on set like all the time, because now his butt has become its own character on the internet.
Speaker 5: Right, And he had like those muscle rollers, like he was always like just rubbing his muscles like dying.
Speaker 6: I mean it was constant. So yeah, you were right about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that one, I figure is like a pretty a pretty easy one.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: Next one is who do you who do you think stole the most from set? This isn't like in an illegal like way, but.
Speaker 5: Like pegs saying around, yeah, grab grab a like maybe a shirt they wore in a scene, or like a couple of snacks from craft Services before they had out, or who knows, Oh, definitely bells here, like definitely like munchies and laziness, do you know what I mean? Like that he'd be like you'd see him at the craft services before going before going home, the first driver to take him home, and it just like he's like, yeah, definitely good because you know he was like on the cover of High Times how many times, like he was the original stoner trying to like legalize it. Yeah, so he would just constantly like just snacks and yeah all the time, drinks, beverages, whatever he was gonna want.
Speaker 2: But how does he memorize his lines or did he smoke weed after No?
Speaker 5: It was constant one of my favorite times. So and he would he would die laughing at this. So they put your marks down on the floor right with tape, right so you know where to stand. And every main character has like a different color. This is like on every show. So Maurscuz is pink, you know, Chris's was blue, mine was yellow, and Belzer's I think Belser's was green, and also sometimes to you do they have the big dollies, the dolly would have to move, so they'd make dolli marks for focus. And one day it was the coverage like they were trying to film Richard Belzer, but they made the dolli marks in green too, so they say action and he's just walking next to the camera, like he never gets on camera.
Speaker 6: He's just walking next to it.
Speaker 5: And they're like, Richard, those aren't your marks, that's for the dolly, like yours are over right here, and he's like, oh a little.
Speaker 6: Too much today, I mean, like constantly. But it was amazing.
Speaker 5: He just was like walking, the camera's moving, he's moving right next to it, like he never appears on camera because they use the same color. So yeah, sometimes he ever did it, but yeah, he was. He was high all the time.
Speaker 6: It was great.
Speaker 5: But I'll tell you, should I tell you, do you have time for one really funny last story and be done?
Speaker 3: Yeah, because that would be perfect, all right.
Speaker 5: So obviously I had no idea what it was like, and I didn't know what I was doing, and I didn't know where marks were because it was the first time that i'd really done anything. When I was guest starring in this episode, and so at the end of the episode, at the end your last scene that you film when you're the guest star, They're like, this is Diane Niels, this is her her last scene of the episode, and she just wrapped, and then everyone started, the entire crew and everybody starts topping. And I remember going home and telling what is now my husband. I was like, I think I did really well. Like when I was done, like everyone was applauding for me, and it felt I was, so I think I'm a really good actor just because you I didn't even know right, like I just started acting.
Speaker 6: Then when I go back and I'm.
Speaker 5: On the show as a series regular, and the first episode that I'm filming, the first guest star that raps, They're like, this is so and So's last scene. You know there you know the episode ever, and then everyone starts a plotting. I was like, ah, we do it for everyone, like I'm such a tool. Oh my god, idiot, Well I know that.
Speaker 3: The best thing.
Speaker 2: I once was on a show where there was like a little cat on the set, and so we did a series rap for the cat. The cat, well, we had to snap because we couldn't be too loud.
Speaker 6: Oh very very oh stapped for the cat. Okay, very oh my, that's hilarious. Yeah, me and the cat. The Cat's that. I get home now thinking like I did such a good dropmer.
Speaker 3: I think that's like such a sweet like.
Speaker 5: Like and it's such an easy thing to.
Speaker 3: Make to not know that they do, like you know, episode rap on so and so lately.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I had no idea. It's kind of like my first birthday. All I knew about TV. I learned from like Access Hollywood. So I'm like, and I'm on NBC and we're on a really popular show, and I'm like, are we gonna get Are we all getting porsches for our birthday?
Speaker 6: Like the cast of Friends?
Speaker 5: And like three months later after my birthday, I finally got something from Talent Services and my kids, you know, I still have it.
Speaker 3: It's a key chain, just to remind me that's your place. I wonder if there's ever like a shitty guest star though, who made everybody's life a living hell and they're like, that's a series rap on rob and everyone's like.
Speaker 5: You know, like just giving shitty, like the lame clap and like under the Birth of the you.
Speaker 2: Know, but now we have questions for next time you're on, because now we're we'll ask you who are the worst guest stars you've ever So stay tuned, listeners, Come ready that come.
Speaker 1: Ready to talk some shit. Thank you so much for coming back on, Diane. We've been wanting to have you back for a long time, but we.
Speaker 3: Always know that we can get you again because you're the best to talk.
Speaker 6: You can anytime.
Speaker 1: Well, always fun to talk to Diane, I mean, and when we can make Diane do a little snort, I think we're doing something right.
Speaker 3: Listen.
Speaker 2: It's really cool. It's really cool to see the start of someone's career. She obviously had something special that like they wanted to continue her as Novak and that experience. But she plays a really good, mean killer who loves to be fucking choked out really well. Yeah, but left her fingerprints on the ceiling, baby, trust and believe that Benson, and between Benson and Warner, they're going to find your prints on the ceiling. They know a lot about autoerotic asphyxiation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but a lot of you love to write us and say, oh my god, did you know Novak was in an episode before. Did you know that Robins was in an episode before? So we love to investigate these episodes where we see we meet our we meet our friends before we've met them, you know. And one day we'll talk to Peter Scanavino about his turn as a unhoused gentleman or what is he?
Speaker 3: Is he a drug addict? I don't know.
Speaker 1: Something's going on with him where he's not careesy. But a wild episode, a wild crime.
Speaker 3: I don't know. What have we learned?
Speaker 1: Guys, don't go to jail for a man, don't cross over the Atlantic to kidnap a man.
Speaker 3: Not worth it? I don't.
Speaker 1: I just don't think any any man who's on a Mormon mission is worth that kind of attention and incarceration.
Speaker 3: No, it's really it's really wild. Oh my god. I also liked when Tomorrow Toney was like acting out the ropes on Stabler. Oh yeah, little given him a little bit out of a show. I don't know.
Speaker 2: It was a great episode. We're lucky to water again. And so now we have two repeak ASTs. We have a Neil Bear and a Diane Neil, both Neil's and the same.
Speaker 3: You know, Yes, Neil, Neil baby, Neil and Neil. Yeah. I always love.
Speaker 2: When I get to bring up Neil bear in normal conversation. I feel like so much smarter than people. I go, well, you know, the showrunner from seasons two to twelve was actually a medical you know, I get rially.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it might be time for us to get Neil back on. To be honest, we can have another.
Speaker 2: But it also is time for s for you to give us the attention that we Craven deserve.
Speaker 3: I mean, we haven't.
Speaker 2: Gotten a press box in a while, we haven't gotten nothing. It's just like we're here, We're we're we're giving this, We're giving so much.
Speaker 3: We're having the time of our lives. Give it. Like let us, We're sending views to Hulu. Come on, we are.
Speaker 2: It's just when they don't need a like because a part of me is like, come on, don't you want us to visit the set and make a video, And they're like, absolutely not. We don't need you here at all. We are one of the top advertisers in history.
Speaker 3: We don't.
Speaker 2: People are watching, babe, people are watching like yea even but they do press sometimes.
Speaker 3: I just we'll have our moment in the sun.
Speaker 1: One day, well we will one day, everybody will it into existence. But we can move on to what are What would Sister Peg Do? Our weekly segment where we direct you towards an article, an organization, uh, a documentary, something to give you more info about what we talked about today. And for this week's What would Sister Peg Do, we'd like to point you to the documentary Tabloid. If you want to get an in depth look at Joyce McKinney and the Manicled Mormon Case. You can watch this fascinating documentary by Academy Award winning filmmaker Errol Morris, and you can check out a link to that in our story. It'll be on our Instagram the day this episode comes out. Plus it'll always be in the show notes. But I think you can also just search Tabloid wherever you stream or download stuff and see where it's. You know, they're always changing the streaming. A shout out for an app I like to use called just Watch that shows you where things are streaming right now, where things are streaming for free, where things are for purchase, And I like that. It's a great app. It's free. I'm obsessed and that's that. Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: And next week we'll be doing Dearly Beloved from season twenty, episode nineteen. We're really jumping around season three, really are right? Three to twenty. Yeah, we're gonna get whiplash, baby.
Speaker 3: Yeah. We do it different over here, not like the other girls. We're different. We're not like a regular rewatch podcast. Thank you guys so much for listening.
Speaker 1: Come see us live, come uh see go se Lee's a live.
Speaker 3: Write us messages, keep listening.
Speaker 6: We love you.
Speaker 3: Tell a friend. That's all bye.
Speaker 2: That's Messed Up as an exactly right production.
Speaker 1: If you have compliments you'd like to give us or episodes you'd like us to cover, shoot us an email it That's messed uppod at gmail dot com.
Speaker 2: Follow the podcast on Instagram at That's Messed Up Pod and on Twitter at messed Up Pod, and follow us personally at Kara Klank and at Glitter Cheese.
Speaker 1: As always, please see our show notes for sources and more information.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much to our senior producer Casey O'Brien and our associate producer Christina Chamberlain, and to.
Speaker 3: Our mixer John Bradley and our guest booker Patrick Cottner, and to Henry Kaperski for our theme song and Carly Jean Andrews for our artwork.
Speaker 1: Thank you to our executive producers Georgia Hardstar, Karen Kilgarriff, Daniel Kramer, and everybody at Exactly Right Media.
Speaker 4: Dun Dun,