Speaker 1: I Am all In.
Speaker 2: I Am all In with Scott Patterson an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Everybody Scott Patterson, I Am all In Podcasts, iHeartRadio, iHeart Podcast, IHEARTMDIA. One eleven Productions, one eleven Podcasts, one eleven Media. Welcome Tara, Welcome Amy. Susanne is on a little assignment.
Speaker 3: She's out on the field.
Speaker 1: We've sent her out in the field for an assignment with a crew. Pop Culture Season six, Episode six, Welcome to the Dollhouse. Luke telling Lorella he likes the idea of changing the street names. Luke, No, change them all, name them after cartoon characters. All beyond Scooby Doo Lane, It's all the same to me. Scooby Doo is an American media franchise owned by Warner Brothers, created in Nice Funny Funny by Joe Ruby and Ken Spears through their animated series Scooby.
Speaker 3: Doo, Where are You Scooby?
Speaker 1: Mm hmm. The series features four teenagers, Fred, Daphney, Velma, and Shaggy, and they're talking dog named Scooby, who solved mysteries, including supposedly supernatural creatures, through a series of antics and miss steps.
Speaker 3: I Love Scooby doo. Sure, Scooby Doo. Where are you?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Scooby And like all the movies spin offs with it.
Speaker 2: Exactly like Sarah Michelle Gellar and Freddy Pratt weren't them?
Speaker 3: And Matthew Lillard and I want to watch it one? Who's the fourth one?
Speaker 2: Linda Linda CARLINI yep, Emily Collin, Rory to come have breakfast.
Speaker 3: You're missing Katie Couric. Kati Kurr is.
Speaker 2: An American journalist and presenter. First of all, presenter who writes it like that, she's like a host. In two thousand and five, Katie Kirk, Yeah, we cut and copy that from a UK Wikipedia. In two thousand and five, Katie Kirk was co anchor of The Today Show with Matt Lauer on NBC. She was a co anchor on the Today Show from ninety one to two thousand and six. She also had her own talk show. I love Katie Kirk.
Speaker 4: What's she doing now?
Speaker 2: I think she kind of like has her she has a podcast and then she has her like daily thing, like if you want to get the daily news, it's an email blast.
Speaker 3: You sign up on our website.
Speaker 4: But she's not like on a regular she's not on.
Speaker 3: A show right now, Tara, this is all you all right?
Speaker 5: Emily's telling Rory. The Intercom company went out of business. Emily says Arthur Godfrey was their spokesman. Arthur Godfrey was an American radio and television broadcaster, an entertainer who was sometimes in introduced by his nickname the Old Redhead in the early to mid fifties. God for you has heard on the radio and seen on television up to six days a week for as many as nine separate broadcasts on CBS.
Speaker 3: That's a lot.
Speaker 1: He was ubiquitous. Suki and Laurel I wondering what their new street name will be Suki. Charing Cross Road or Abbey Road something classic. Charing Cross Road is a street in central London, running north on Saint Martin in the Fields to Saint Giles Circus the intersection with Oxford Street, which then merges into Tottenham Court Road. Abbey Road is a path in the town of Camden in the city of Westminster in Greater London, running northwest to southeast through the Saint John Woods near Lord's Cricket Ground. The road is best known for the Abbey Road studios, made famous by the Beatles and for it being feed on the cover of the Beatles album of the same name September nineteen sixty.
Speaker 2: Nine, and everyone tries to recreate it. Everybody Logan arriving at the pool house, Silly Rabbit speed them.
Speaker 3: It's are for kids. Logan's referring to.
Speaker 2: The slogan for the cereal brand Tricks, Silly Rabbit.
Speaker 3: Tricks Are for Kids.
Speaker 2: Tricks is an American brand of breakfast cereal made by General Mills Nestley Brand, consisting of rainbow fruit flavored sweetened ground corn.
Speaker 1: They were so good, so good.
Speaker 3: It was a fruit loops gal. But the you drink and you drink the milk mil after ye oh God girls.
Speaker 2: One year after Tricks market debut, General Mills experiment with a rabbit puppet as a potential Tricks mascot and created the trademark animated Silly Rabbit.
Speaker 3: That was a random, good, good cereal eaten in my youth.
Speaker 4: Did they still sell Tricks? Do you think it's still I'm.
Speaker 3: Sure, yes, it's all around. Yeah. Do they still sell cookie crisp? Because that was basically a bowl of cookies.
Speaker 4: I remember that a little religious like miniature right.
Speaker 3: Honeycomb were amazing. Are those still around? I don't know.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, Honeycomb, I I literally want to eat that right now.
Speaker 3: Flakes, frosted flames, honey Comb, Scott. That was the best one right now to see if it's about. How about lucky charms?
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's totally lucky comb are around, Honeycomb. Any lucky chimes I actually have in my cupboard because my nieces love those, you know, like those mini cereal boxes.
Speaker 3: They love them as snacks. Oh my god, honey, pour the milk right into the box. I'm literally putting them in my cart.
Speaker 4: I saw that Amazon.
Speaker 3: Why is it so expensive? How big is it? I don't know, but I'm buying it. I'm literally buying it.
Speaker 1: Wheat checks and rice checks.
Speaker 3: Oh you know what I need to get to rice crispies. What are those things?
Speaker 1: We like?
Speaker 3: Malamars?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 5: Yeah, someone on and I saw someone on Instagram be like, by the way, I bought malamars the other day.
Speaker 3: Time to get the malamars.
Speaker 1: How many spoonfuls of sugar would you put on your rice crispies?
Speaker 4: Sugar?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: I sug bought of sugar kitchen table.
Speaker 1: Yeah, take full spoonfuls of sugar and put it right to the rice crispies.
Speaker 3: You might as well just see frut lips, yeah right, or tricks.
Speaker 1: And then they'd unleash us onto the outside world and we buzz around.
Speaker 2: I actually think, uh one of those lucky charms, those are gross.
Speaker 5: Those like Mark, I don't know, I like them, but like you said, Amy, like your nieces, like I think they were better as snacks. I didn't like it with milk.
Speaker 4: I got sauce.
Speaker 3: You gotta eat them quick, and you can't use that much milk.
Speaker 4: Do you guys remember well?
Speaker 3: Apple jacks O apple jacks.
Speaker 4: I loved apple jacks.
Speaker 3: Those are sugary cheerios.
Speaker 2: Basically, basically I'd rather do honey nut cheerios than honeynut.
Speaker 1: Honeynut.
Speaker 2: Yeah, cookie crisp Oh my god, is that still around?
Speaker 3: Hold and I forgot to look for that. Wait, Tara, you do the next one while I look at.
Speaker 5: Okay, all right, So Rory's opening her gifts from Logan. Logan says, it's not just a purse, it's a burken bag. We kind of talked about this already, but the burken bag is a tote bag introduced in nineteen eighty four by French luggery Goods. French luxury goods maker Amez. Burken bags are handmade from leather and are named after the English French actress and singer Jane Burkin. The Burken bag price, yes, who.
Speaker 3: Recently passed away.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, cookie Crisp is still around three ninety nine and on the box it says great chocolate chip cookie taste.
Speaker 3: Because I'm gonna get it and we'll do a test. I'm just gonna see if if it's a good dessert.
Speaker 2: Like I'm not gonna eat that for breakfast. The one that's a bummer is the elf on the shelf breakfast sold out. I want to get that before anyway, continue on the Burken. I'm way more into buying these cereals for three ninety nine than a Burkin.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well, just last note is that the prices range from eighty five hundred to three hundred thousand dollars.
Speaker 4: And it's the most expensive bag in fashion history.
Speaker 3: I'd rather have a g Wagon Mercedes for three hundred thousand than a purse.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I would too, Like I'd rather one, yeah, But the problem is is the g Wagon does not increase in value, true loses value.
Speaker 4: I guess it's just because you I'd be afraid.
Speaker 1: That you can't drive a purse because you don't need a purse, because if you have a three hundred thousand dollars perse, you will be driven everything.
Speaker 3: And someone will steal it off your arm. Oh they won't, Yeah, they will. This Dame the Beverly Hills lately, tell me what's going on.
Speaker 1: I've something. Oh my god, don't.
Speaker 3: Wear don't wear jewelry or a watch. Why because they literally will get the day just going on. I got bad people.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what there are people stealing?
Speaker 3: Like just in broad daylight. Yeah. Yeah, it's it's really that bad.
Speaker 4: It's been bad since for the past two years.
Speaker 5: About Yeah, like my my cousin just got married and I went to dinner with her and she was wearing her wedding band and I was like, where's your wedding ring? And She's like, I'm afraid to wear it out to certain places.
Speaker 3: Emily and Richard are going to watch TV.
Speaker 2: We're missing Charlie Rose. Charlie Rose is an American former television journalist and talk show host. From nineteen ninety one to twenty seventeen, he hosted and was the executive producer of the talk show Charlie Rose on PBS and Bloomberg LP A.
Speaker 4: Lot of a journalist mentioned in this episode.
Speaker 3: There sure are.
Speaker 1: All right, Laurel telling Michelle she is hungry. LORELEI, I'm crash landed in the Andes eat my teammates starved. What a beautiful image, Laurel I is referring to the Andy's flight disaster, known as the Miracle of the Andies.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm obsessed with this, obsessed. I did not know. You're Aguayan air Force.
Speaker 1: You're a wine movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Wine, It's the movie Alive, right, and I have the best story. Let me tell you, guys a story. So you read your parts, yeah, and then I'll take it.
Speaker 3: So I'm obsessed with this movie. I'm obsessed with that. I want to get to your story.
Speaker 1: But you know, some people need to have lunch, all right.
Speaker 3: You're Aguayan air Force.
Speaker 1: Flight five seven to one was the chartered flight from Montevideo, Uruguay, to Santiago, Chile, that crashed in the Andes Mountains on October thirteenth, nineteen seventy two. The flight was carrying forty five passengers and crew. Including nineteen members of the Old Christmas Club rugby union team. During the following seventy to two days. Seventy two days, the survivor suffered from exposure, starvation, and then avalanche. The remaining passengers resorted to cannibalism. Two months after the crash, the last of the sixteen survivors were rescued. The news of their miraculous survivor drew worldwide headlines that grew into a media circus. They ate rugby players.
Speaker 3: Well, okay, so here's the thing I'm going to I'm like or.
Speaker 1: Nomso the I said the Old Christmas I said, this is the Old Christians Club rugby union team. Anyway, go ahead, Amy as a story.
Speaker 2: Okay, so many people always fixate on the look they eat each other. It's like, okay, this story is so unbelievable. These guys, these young kids are basically wearing sneakers and like T shirt and this plane crashes in the Andies. They survived the crash. A good number of these people. They figure out how to survive in the Andy's Mountains for seventy two days.
Speaker 1: And you're saying this was the rugby players survived. Yeah, this is all young and they're young and strong. So these were rugby plays.
Speaker 2: Yes, but they you know, they had wives and they had sisters with them, and some live and some don't. Two of these men boys basically hike out of because they realize no one's coming. They give up the rescue mission. They think there's no way these guys survived. This is a true story. I just watched the documentary. It's so amazing. Two of these guys decide the only way that we can be saved is we're going to have to hike out of the Andy's Mountains. They hike so far, I don't even know how far it is, basically wearing sneakers, and they like turned things they had in the plane into like galoshes, Like they used the seats of the plane and like to make these like you got to watch the movie. But the documentary is so amazing. But here's the one that first of all, up until so however many guys survived. I think it was nineteen, did it say? Did nineteen survive? Up until like sixteen? Up until just like a few years ago, they were all still alive. And this is from the seventies. This is my favorite story from this from alive.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: One of the boys on the plane, one of the guys that like hiked out, his girlfriend had knitted him a sweater, and uh, he wears the sweater as he hikes out of the Andys Mountains. Then they show her and they're telling all these stories this many years later, and she says, I didn't even care if we ended up together. I just wanted him to live. And he wears the sweater so she will know that he's wearing the sweater.
Speaker 3: Guess what, they are still married.
Speaker 2: Me watching this just bawling. All he wants to do is survive and get home. They all want to just get to their families. And the families had lost their whole families. So like the boys that are like, I mean, you got to watch this, Like, I love it so much. It's such an amazing story.
Speaker 4: I don't know anything about this.
Speaker 2: Actually it's a true story from the seventies. The movie still holds up, Like if you watch it now, you're like, it's still good.
Speaker 3: What was it called? The movies like from it's called a livel And the book is amazing.
Speaker 2: But the docu they just did a documentary where they go and they read, they talk to all these.
Speaker 3: Guys that survive this, read the book. The book is read the book and then watch the documentary.
Speaker 2: Here's what I would do. Book, then the Ethan Hawk movie, then the documentary.
Speaker 3: Okay, so I always the most powerful story.
Speaker 2: I just am balling, like the way that what they did was unbelievable, how they survived. Yep, I just anyway, Loralai telling Michelle one of the packages looks familiar was Joan Rivers or Suzanne Summers holding it up and this is such a what Yeah, because Suzanne Summers just thanks to Ago. So I will read this, but we will talk about that. Joan Rivers was an American comedian, actress, producer, writer, and television host. She was noted for her blunt, often controversial comedic persona that was heavily self deprecating, especially towards celebrities and politicians. She was noted for her blunt, often controversial comedic persona that was heavily self deprecating towards celebrities and politicians quite often. She's considered a pioneer of woman in comedy. Suzanne Summers was an American actress, author, singer, businesswoman, health spokesperson, inventor, of the Thigh Master. She appeared in the television role of Chrissy Snow on Three's Company and as Carol Foster Lambert on Step by Step. Michelle's referring to Suzanne Summers and Joan Rivers being some of the first celebrities to sell their jewelry on the Home Shopping network and they're both amazing, and I know, God bless Suzanne Summers and her husband. Oh my god, I know, because the husband and the sun were doing interviews and it's just like, oh, it's just heartbreaking.
Speaker 5: We had her on one of our shows, on one of our other podcasts, like towards the beginning of the year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, not not long ago at all.
Speaker 5: And I'll never forget her husband was like helping her on zoom.
Speaker 4: It was just so sweet and it was just I don't know.
Speaker 3: They were never apart, never, and he was always.
Speaker 5: To get and during the interview we were like, what's that noise, and she's like, my husband's cooking. She was sitting in the kitchen and he was just like cooking with pots and pans right next to hers.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh. Yeah, it seemed very sweet. Yeah, all right, Tara, up to your turn.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right.
Speaker 5: Laura lies telling Suki and Michelle about the town meeting. Laura, I says, Taylor's up there, yammering about septic tanks and Patty made her raisin cake, and you know, everything's just going along. When suddenly Taylor says it's time to break, and I stands up on the bench totally Norma Ray and I write strike on my town Meeting flyer, and I hold it up all defiant. Norma Ray is a nineteen seventy nine American drama film based on the true story of Crystal Lee Sutton and stars Sally Field in the title role. The film follows Norma Ray Webster, a factory worker with little formal education in North Carolina who becomes involved in trade union activities at the textile factory where she works. Sally Field's won Best Actress in nineteen eighty for Norma.
Speaker 3: Ray never saw and I need to you never saw Norma Ray. I know, I know me either, Though's many things we've missed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, Laura, I explaining how she told off Taylor Laurelai. Then I turned to Taylor and I said, Taylor, Josie, if you don't put us back on the map. I will be Molly Ringwald giving her underwear to my Anthony Michael Hall, and he shows it to a room full of boys who've paid a dollar.
Speaker 3: See, it didn't make sense, but I love the reference. That's great.
Speaker 1: Red Laurel is referring to nineteen eighty four American coming of age film sixteen Candles story Molly Ringwold, Michael Schoffling.
Speaker 3: Jake Ryan, Michael Schoffling, Jake Ryan.
Speaker 1: Like Amy, We'll give you a minute to swoon and I will continue. Written and directed by John Hughes and his directorial debut, and what a debut it was. It was the first in a string of films Hughes would direct centering on teenage.
Speaker 3: Sixteen Candles is so good.
Speaker 4: Classic. It's a classic.
Speaker 1: It is a classic. And you two are classics.
Speaker 3: Yeah you Oh. I could just do Jake ryanlines all day.
Speaker 1: And let's have another one.
Speaker 3: Um, Hey, do.
Speaker 1: You know what's her name in the film? And he goes up to Anthony Michael howfesa do you know that? Do you know Molly?
Speaker 3: What's her name in the in the Samantha?
Speaker 1: You know? Do you know Samantha? Oh yeah, man, we're really chy a great, a great comedic performance of Anthony Michael.
Speaker 2: When he calls, the grandparents answer uh, and is Samantha Baker so there?
Speaker 3: And if so, may converse with her briefly and not like the grandparents like hang up on him. It's so good and he's Anthony Michael halls under the table and he's all.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: Those are the most nerve racking phone calls of my preteen and teen years. Was calling the home of the girl, nerve racking, and then the brother would answer the phone, she does.
Speaker 3: Want to talk to you, you idiot, and hang up the phone. If so converse with her briefly.
Speaker 1: Oh so that's going to wrap pop culture. But thanks for downloading. Uh, best fans on the planet. We will see you next time. Remember we collectively and I singlearly am all stay said hey everybody and off again. Follow us on Instagram at I Am all In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com.